• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nobody is quite correct on either #1 or #3, but we're awfully close -- 30 minutes left!

It's 10 PM -- the winners will be notified soon. Update should be up tomorrow!

Fifty year update: 1552

Remember, as always, these updates are written from my perspective, not any particular character. :) If you have questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them. Here is the map of Europe:

gamemap.jpg

When/if I inherit Bohemia, I'll be nigh unstoppable within the HRE. Poland and Hungary are distant concerns; they've been surprisingly quiet. I think they're mostly worried about the Golden Horde. Byzantium is a potential threat; we'll have to see if they become a problem later on. Total army size:

armiesl.jpg

Do you understand now why France was so scary to me? Almost four times my manpower! And it's also the second richest country in the game:

income.jpg

I'm not showing my own positions because frankly they're kind of embarrassing. :( My overall manpower is 100k or slightly more (if I had everybody). Income wise, I'm the richest state in the HRE -- and right above Durrani. So, yeah. Definitely not min-maxing this time around!

Delicious pies:

piesx.jpg

Overextension isn't really an issue, I don't think; my non-cored provinces are the ones in Lorraine and those I took from Siena. My year in income:

myrevenue.jpg

Those subsidies came from Castille; as you can see, it was very helpful. My costs:

myspending.jpg

Wasn't it kind of me to keep building more armies so the French could destroy them?

The COTs:

hotsd.jpg

I've not been very active in trading; I probably should be, but I haven't been.

The König and his court:

courtj.jpg

Those are some old advisors; they'll be replaced very soon.

taxandtech.jpg

I've got minting maxed out so I can pay off some loans; it'll be fixed soon.

armyandnavy.jpg

It was -99, folks. :)

ideasandsliders.jpg

I've come to grips with the fact I can't compete with France in terms of quantity, so I'm pushing hard for quality. Once I've got religious unity, I'll start inching back towards innovative. Not sure what my next idea will be -- National Conscripts is a serious possibility, since it's a big bonus and will still let me keep up my discipline. Yes, I know, I need to build the manpower buildings too. :)

A bonus religious map of Europe!

religiousmapeurope.jpg

And finally, a map of the world:

eu3mapbav15527171.jpg

I should have a proper update for everyone in the next day or two. Thanks for reading!

Wow, you're surrounded by giants. Now if only you could sick them on each other and watch them tear each other apart. ;)

At least you're doing incredibly well in the HRE. It can be hard to keep all those small states in line, especially after the Reformation.

Wow, you're surrounded by giants. Now if only you could sick them on each other and watch them tear each other apart. ;)

At least you're doing incredibly well in the HRE. It can be hard to keep all those small states in line, especially after the Reformation.

I would LOVE to see a war between France and Scotland or France and the Byzantines; sadly, I don't think that's very likely.

I would LOVE to see a war between France and Scotland or France and the Byzantines; sadly, I don't think that's very likely.
Ah, any chance you can ally with Byzantium?

Ah, any chance you can ally with Byzantium?

Unfortunately, no; the different religion in EU3 is almost always a dealbreaker, and you almost never see countries of different religions sign alliances.

Unfortunately, no; the different religion in EU3 is almost always a dealbreaker, and you almost never see countries of different religions sign alliances.
Oh, thats sad

Obviously, your biggest issue is getting stronger, etc. Your best bet is to fight hard to keep Bohemia under your personal union. Also consider joining wars against France whenever they go against a major power, or join them. This limits their expansion options or force them to focus on several fronts, depending on how it goes. Hohenzollerns will find a way to dominate France (what dynasty are they now?).

Obviously, your biggest issue is getting stronger, etc. Your best bet is to fight hard to keep Bohemia under your personal union. Also consider joining wars against France whenever they go against a major power, or join them. This limits their expansion options or force them to focus on several fronts, depending on how it goes. Hohenzollerns will find a way to dominate France (what dynasty are they now?).

French are still Capets. Your points are entirely valid, and I will definitely keep my eyes open for anti-French opportunities. However (click if you want to know)

There are no wars against France for the next 50 years that I can be part of.

That's a very stretchy name you have on the map there. Is that the Mamluks colonising? How many HRE reforms have you passed and how is your Imperial Authority doing?

Which nations are your vassals in this update? Do you have a chance to diploannex them anytime soon?

Vassals: Ansbach, Austria, Brandenburg, Cleves, Thurinigia, Wurttemburg. I do get a chance to annex them, but I won't take it right away.

Who is that in Guyana? I don't recognize those colors.

Sirk answered you; it's the Mamluks!

That's a very stretchy name you have on the map there. Is that the Mamluks colonising? How many HRE reforms have you passed and how is your Imperial Authority doing?

Next reform is Reform the Hofgericht; 18 Imperial Authority at the moment.

Have you tried to ally with Scotland? As I see it they are the best option: same religion, technology advanced and they can distract french troops to another side. And even if you lose the war they could get the provinces in England and Ireland from the french and attacks later in who knows where.

PS: When I am playing against such a big guy my tactic (that maybe you consider gamey) is to focus on the taking of its provinces instead of oppose it. I only engage the reinforces that the AI is building, that way it lose a lot of troops with no effort from your side. The AI use to do one of this two things: or they continue attacking your provinces but they go slowly than you or they split their troops for taking them faster and then you can destroy its armies.