The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It’s alright, what matters is we have them here in the first place. I really enjoyed reading them and adding to those discussions in the following comments, but’s good they didn’t over stay their welcome or overshadow the story.
I'll still be revisiting some very old plot points in the future as they relate to issues in the present day. They won't be in essay format, but they'll pop up as the present day events unfold.
I wonder if the White Stag show again in the future, since it's been awhile since its last appearance in End of History (don't know if it showed up in the X-Division arc since there are some arcs I haven't read yet.)? Probably depends on if there are any world changing like the White Stags last few appearances, like the battles of Vienna and Constantinople in the last two World Wars and the Warsaw/Koingsberg/Dresden bombing.
I haven't planned anything with the White Stag so far, but I'll consider it if it's appropriate.

What a horrible, horrible false accusation to make. I'm not particularly fond of violence, but after what he did to Oskar, I'm cool with Alex's actions against Josh. He almost certainly needs a better long-term solution, but he can enjoy the moment as a victory.

Reactions:
What a horrible, horrible false accusation to make. I'm not particularly fond of violence, but after what he did to Oskar, I'm cool with Alex's actions against Josh. He almost certainly needs a better long-term solution, but he can enjoy the moment as a victory.
Josh deserved that, honestly.

Blessed are the Peacemakers

Gull Rock - May 31, 2017, 1400 hours

Gebhard leaned back in his chair. Boris stared at a map of Tenochtitlan. Ollin was busy in the west, pushing the MSC out of Tejas.

The atmosphere was tense. Boris was aware of the defeats happening elsewhere. The city of Xinshawa was being assaulted by an MSC host, and if it fell, they could reach the coast and cut off Jinshan from Hongzhou. Worst thing was it was led by a Roman convert to terrorism from the Ludendorff family. What drove a son of one of the most well-known and loyal military families of the Reich to join an anti-Roman terrorist group, Boris didn’t know. Ollin was probably going to handle him after wrapping up the western Tejas campaign. They couldn't risk another Werner Hainisch.

“Hey, Bradziunas,” Gebhard said, “Where’s the EC support?”

“They’re busy in South Eimerica,” Boris said, “Thordarsson convinced the member states to intervene down there. Don’t expect them to help us out now.”

“Not even when MSC’s on their own doorstep and rampaging through their most powerful member state?” Gebhard said.

“Pretty much,” Boris said, “Sometimes, it feels like Thordarsson’s ignoring Fusang.”

“You mean to weaken it?” Gebhard said.

“Yeah, and strengthen Kanata as a result,” Boris said, “Oh, and have you heard what Neurhomania’s doing?”

“All that KRA refugee talk?” Gebhard said. “Disgusting.”

“Nobody gains anything by vilifying the refugees,” Boris said, “It makes our jobs much harder.”

"Anyways, let's get back to business," Gebhard said, "We'll have to improvise without Thordarsson's troops."

"I hear Hongzhou's planning an amnesty plan," Boris said, "That should help us in the north. We should focus on Mexico."

"Ollin is working on gathering intel on Nochistlan," Gebhard said, "I say we retake Tenochtitlan and reinforce him at Nochistlan."

"Let's do it," Boris said.

Tenochtitlan - August 12, 2017, 2200 hours

Kurt finished brushing his teeth and trudged back to his bunk, getting ready to sleep. It had been a long day today. The city was firmly in coalition hands again, but the MSC remained a significant threat. They would fighting for a few more weeks to stabilize the city. For now, he ignored that thought. He just wanted to sleep. As he climbed into his bunk and pulled the blankets over him, the general announcing circuit chimed.

“Good evening, brave soldiers of the Reich,” Father Caen said, “It’s Father Caen here with your nightly prayer. I don’t want to keep you too long from your slumbers, as you no doubt need a good night’s sleep to fight better tomorrow, so I’ll keep it short. You can thank me later. I’d like to start this prayer off by quoting part of the Beatitudes. ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.’ But let’s get real for a moment.”

What? Kurt thought at first. As he thought over that line, it made more sense to him.

“Yes, it is noble to seek peace,” Caen said, “There is nothing wrong with it. But often, it is impossible to achieve peace. Especially when an enemy does not want it, be it in politics, business, or on the battlefield. And when it happens on the battlefield, it is our job to enforce that peace, by any means necessary. We fight for a righteous cause, to defend our nation. The Lord recognizes that as a just and blessed effort. The chancellor Kohl, may he rest in peace, understood that when he waged war against the godless equalists in defense of our nation and to liberate our brethren in the east. So on this night, we give thanks to Him that our war is blessed and these terrorists and their vile barbarism are driven from the land, and we pray for Him to guide us in the weeks to come.”

The war was almost over, Kurt thought. One last push, and Zolin would fall. Blessed were the peacemakers, after all. Even if those peacemakers resorted to violence to achieve their peace.

Reichstag, Berlin - January 1, 2018, 6:00 PM

Kaiser Otto gripped the podium, caught his breath, and continued his speech. His voice was no longer as strong and clear as it once was, but it could still command the attention of the hundreds of politicians and military leaders and billions of people watching on TV.

“We live in a time of extraordinary change,” he said, “Change that’s reshaping the way we live, the way we work, our planet, our place in the world. It’s change that promises amazing medical breakthroughs, but also economic disruptions that strain working families. It promises education for girls in the most remote villages, but also connects terrorists plotting an ocean away. It’s change that can broaden opportunity, or widen inequality. And whether we like it or not, the pace of this change will only accelerate. Once change begins, it cannot be stopped.”

While the Diet and assembled cabinet listened to the Kaiser’s speech, Heinrich sat with Merkel and Georg at the back.

“The General Staff’s approved your little operation,” Heinrich said, “They’re getting the Scholai Palatinae in position as we speak.”

“I told you they’d come around,” Merkel said.

“I don’t understand,” Georg said, “The Mayan government is about to finish off the last rebels. Why assassinate that Cuban warlord?”

“Well first, he’s an equalist,” Merkel said, “Would set a bad precedent if we didn’t nip any potential equalist resurgence in the bud. Second, we can’t assume the Mayans have everything in the bag. They’ve messed up worse before.”

“Oh right, Waka and his inexplicable invasion of Europe, or the time East Indonesia pulled the same stunt,” Georg sarcastically said.

“I assure you, the coast guard’s improved since the Schmidt and Wilson days,” Heinrich said, “It’s not going to happen again.”

“The Reich’s been through big changes before,” Otto said, “Wars and depression, the influx of new immigrants, workers fighting for a fair deal, movements to expand civil rights. Each time, there have been those who told us to fear the future; who claimed we could slam the brakes on change, who promised to restore past glory if we just got some group or idea that was threatening the Reich under control. And each time, we overcame those fears. We did not, in the words of Friedrich the Great, adhere to the ‘dogmas of the quiet past.’ Instead we thought and acted anew. Instead of fighting and fearing each other, we reached out and worked together for a new future. We made change work for us, always extending the Roman promise outward, to the next frontier, to more people. And because we did, because we saw opportunity where others saw peril, because we saw friends where others saw enemies, we emerged stronger and better than before.”

“How goes the Southeast Asian situation?” Merkel said.

“We got rid of the last of the nationalists,” Heinrich said.

“It’s what Horst would’ve wanted,” Georg said.

“I heard you’re being invited to the ASEAN conference next week right?” Heinrich said. “Sounds like our friend Horst's become a martyr on two continents.”

“Yep,” Georg said, “It’s a weird feeling, really.”

“Horst did publicly support ASEAN in addition to the Eimerican project,” Merkel said.

“After the recession of the 90s, Horst believed an integrated ASEAN would provide collective security and economic benefits for the people of Southeast Asia,” Georg said, “Horst’s death in defense of that galvanized the integration movement.”

“Even the Vietnamese delegation is rebranding itself as a ‘Srivijayan’ delegation,” Merkel said, “Don't a large number of Vietnamese identify themselves as Southeast Asians first now?”

“I think so,” Georg said.

“And I thought people would still be talking about Zolin’s surrender,” Heinrich said, “I’m guessing the Nusantarans and Penglairen won’t like this?”

“Oh, the Nusantarans are angry the Vietnamese beat them to it, especially since the original Srivijaya was based in Nusantara,” Merkel said, “Then again, their old capital was Palembang, and we have that. And Zhao? Well, Penglai has a long history with old Srivijaya.”

“It’s the reason they’re there, right?” Georg said.

“They didn’t let the Song settle there and forced them to go all the way to Penglai,” Merkel said, “And nowadays Zhao disputes East Indonesia's and Papua's claims to a few islands. He fears the new Srivijaya will continue the legacy of the old and be an extension of Nusantara’s power. It is a threat to him.”

“Typical Zhao,” Heinrich said, “He sees everything as a threat.”

“What was true then can be true now,” Otto said, “Our unique strengths as a nation—our optimism and work ethic, our spirit of discovery and innovation, our diversity and commitment to the rule of law—these things give us everything we need to ensure prosperity and security for generations to come.”

Heinrich looked up and noticed one of the cameramen filming the speech.

“Oh, you noticed them,” Merkel said, “I’m getting tired of them.”

“Why?” Heinrich said.

“I’ve put up with hostile journalists for a long time, but nothing like this,” Merkel said, “Ever since the Sentinel leak, they’ve been seizing on anything I do as evidence I should be removed from office.”

“Ah yes, I remember that time you ate with dijon mustard,” Georg joked, “And whatever it is they call the terrorist fist jab. Or wearing the tan suit. The horror!”

“Now they’re just talking about my refugee policy,” Merkel said, “What’s wrong with helping people in need?”

“A good portion of our fellow citizens think they’re all terrorists,” Heinrich said.

“No thanks to the rest of the media,” Merkel said, “They made that problem. Every single depiction of Mexicans and Mexica in popular culture is of them as bloodthirsty terrorists or medieval warlords. Even though they’re less than 1% of the total Mexican population. So what happens when they see footage of hundreds of Nahua families fleeing into Outer Neurhomania?”

“And they’ve barely covered my work too,” Georg said, “Guess they consider it boring?”

“Or worse,” Merkel said, "At least they're ignoring you for now. 2020’s going to be hell.”

“It already will be because of Sentinel,” Heinrich said, “But I think you can win, Chancellor.”

“Really?” Merkel said.

“Just my personal observation,” Heinrich said.

“That’s the Reich I know,” Otto said, “That’s the country we love. Clear-eyed. Big-hearted. Optimistic that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word. That’s what makes me so hopeful about our future. Because of you. I believe in you. That’s why I stand here confident that our nation remains united and prosperous entering this new year, ready to face what the future brings. Thank you. God bless the peacemakers. God bless you all, and God bless the Reich.”

Saigon - January 8, 2018, 12:30 PM

“We must move ever closer to an EC-style community,” Vietnamese representative Đỗ Hoàng Điềm said, “Our work is not done yet. Since the establishing of this coalition many decades ago, the world has changed dramatically, and we must change with it. This is a momentous time when ASEAN is consolidating, integrating, and transforming itself into an alliance of states free to chart their own destiny. We seek a more vigorous role in Asian and global affairs at a time when the international system is experiencing a seismic shift, both due to climate change, as this city here can attest to, and the recession of ten years ago. But let it be clear to everyone watching this conference: Southeast Asia is no longer the bitterly divided, war-torn region it was in the '60s and 70s. Our future is no longer dictated by the whims of China, India, and the Reich. We will no longer be the battlefield for the three superpowers. We will interact with the superpowers as equals. As the Romans and Eimericans did before, we overcame our differences by working together and lifting each other to new heights. The Romans’ Prince Horst died defending these values, and he has earned our gratitude. But this is not the end. With Siam’s ratification of the new Srivijaya Charter, our new commonwealth, the successor of old Srivijaya, will take our fate into our own hands, for a peaceful Southeast Asia!”

The other delegates stood up and applauded. At a table in the back, Georg sat with Chancellor Tsai and Crown Prince Jayasimha of India, a bearded man about the same age as Georg. Georg continued eating his pad thai while Jayasimha and Tsai talked.

“That guy is very charismatic, I have to say,” Jayasimha said.

“I honestly don’t see why he has to say all that about China, India, and the Reich,” Tsai said, “We’ve done a lot to help them out recently.”

“Well, China also ruled over most of the region for the better part of a century after unification,” Jayasimha said, “Not to mention centuries of Tran rule before that.”

“India’s not that much better, you know,” Tsai said, “How many wars did India fight in Burma?”

“At least we kept to Indochina,” Georg said.

“The Phetchaburi Massacre of 1741,” Jayasimha countered.

“The Trial of the Hundred Mercenaries at least set a precedent for the strengthening of the Augustinian Code and was a pivotal moment in the development of rule of law in the Reich,” Georg said.

“All because well over a hundred mercenaries were surprisingly more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the Augustinian Code than many trained bureaucrats,” Tsai sarcastically said.

“Weird how that works out,” Georg said, “We came out of that incident with a better understanding of what the Augustinian Code is and what it should do, helping set up the Metternich system a hundred years later.”

“Meanwhile all India did was contribute to the downfall of historical oddities like Lan Na-Ayutthaya and Burmese Tibet,” Tsai said.

“I think that was the Vietnamese,” Jayasimha said.

"No, I'm sure it was India," Tsai said.

“Well, it was kind of unclear,” Jayasimha said, “The Indians and Vietnamese fought a lot over the area. The records are messy. But I think it was the Vietnamese who destroyed Lan Na-Ayutthaya in the end.”

“Fortunately our three countries have moved past that,” Georg said, “I think us sitting at the same table shows as much.”

“Funny how I’m the only one of the three of us who’s not a royal,” Tsai said.

“I suppose the Crown Prince is busy?” Georg said.

“Jiangxing is away mediating the amnesty talks in Fusang,” Tsai said, “So you’re stuck with me.”

The three of them laughed.

“I hope we get more chances to meet like this,” Jayasimha said.

“Likewise,” Tsai said, “It’s been really nice talking with you two.”

“I hope our three countries can remain friends like this,” Georg said.

He raised a glass of Malayan beer. “To the future?”

The others raised their glasses. “To the future.”

• 1Like
Reactions:
With a major skip of about 6 months and a growing unification effort in Southeast Asia, the future for once starts to look better again. By the way, now that it is 2018 should we get an update soon?

With a major skip of about 6 months and a growing unification effort in Southeast Asia, the future for once starts to look better again. By the way, now that it is 2018 should we get an update soon?
Yes, the chapter will be posted after the next story update.

Reactions:
I see things are moving faster now with the major crises occuring around the world draws to a close. That New Sri Vijayan entity looks like a very promising one to look out for. Glad Horst's efforts were not in vain.

Every single depiction of Mexicans and Mexica in popular culture is of them as bloodthirsty terrorists or medieval warlords.
Interestingly enough, my draft for the 2016 Rodan reboot was that the Ancient Mexicans (Pre-Triple Alliance) were honorable people whose values carried over to the Protagonist's ideals in present day. Though there's still bouts of racism the protagonist had to experience due to being half-Mexican. Ironically the MSC will ban the movie due to the movie making it seem as if Rodan was the Aztec Sun God (There's a scene at the end of the battle of Cordoba where Rodan holds the dead body of a Jormungandr titan, in a manner similar to OTL Mexico's flag and the legends concerning Tenochtitlan's founding).

Reactions:
Father Caen is clearly a fashion of the old school Crusade approach.

I see things are moving faster now with the major crises occuring around the world draws to a close. That New Sri Vijayan entity looks like a very promising one to look out for. Glad Horst's efforts were not in vain.

Interestingly enough, my draft for the 2016 Rodan reboot was that the Ancient Mexicans (Pre-Triple Alliance) were honorable people whose values carried over to the Protagonist's ideals in present day. Though there's still bouts of racism the protagonist had to experience due to being half-Mexican. Ironically the MSC will ban the movie due to the movie making it seem as if Rodan was the Aztec Sun God (There's a scene at the end of the battle of Cordoba where Rodan holds the dead body of a Jormungandr titan, in a manner similar to OTL Mexico's flag and the legends concerning Tenochtitlan's founding).
That sounds like a very cool scene.
Father Caen is clearly a fashion of the old school Crusade approach.
There’s a lot more where that came from...

The MSC managed to get a Ludendorff on their side? Ouch, that's bad, especially if he lives up to the prestigious reputation of his two ancestors Wolfgang and Erich. At least Zolin is out of the picture now.

As always, the Eimericas are a mess, but at least Southeast Asia is doing well. Quite an improvement from centuries of colonial oppression and decades of chaos after decolonization. I do wonder if we'll see the power struggle you previously talked about cause some issues for Southeast Asian integration. Also, how's Qiandao since I don't remember whether or not they were apart of ASEAN.

Also, its kinda ironic how Cuba is again trying out equalism to solve the problem of class and race based discrimination against its Nahua population, since it didn't work out too well for Cuba the last time they embraced Equalism.

The school arc may be over, but I like how this update references minor events from previous chapters like Waka's invasion to the Lan Na-Ayutthaya and expands on their lore. I admit I forgot about the proto war crimes trial in EU4, but I do like how you added a detail about it being one incident that lead to Sigismund II and Metternich reforming the Augustian Code.

Since the mercenaries did draw from precedents from the Carolingian Empire in addition to the Reich's history to justify their actions at Phetchaburi, I wonder if comparisons between Caesar's conquest's of Gaul and his brutal suppression of Vercingetorix's rebellion are brought up when people discuss Saint Wilhelmina's anti French assimilation programs, both for and against her policies depending on the people arguing? Josh himself did compare the early Kaisers' deportations to the Jewish diaspora the First Empire created after all.

One last thing; I love how the title of the next update is a Mulan reference, I know I'm going to love it based off that alone.:D

The MSC managed to get a Ludendorff on their side? Ouch, that's bad, especially if he lives up to the prestigious reputation of his two ancestors Wolfgang and Erich. At least Zolin is out of the picture now.
This Ludendorff is just an edgy teenager, so he's more of a propaganda mouthpiece than a serious threat.
As always, the Eimericas are a mess, but at least Southeast Asia is doing well. Quite an improvement from centuries of colonial oppression and decades of chaos after decolonization. I do wonder if we'll see the power struggle you previously talked about cause some issues for Southeast Asian integration. Also, how's Qiandao since I don't remember whether or not they were apart of ASEAN.
The Eimericas' fortunes are turning, but Southeast Asia has taken the lead for now. I haven't focused much on Southeast Asia after this, but I may bring it up in the future.

Qiandao is part of ASEAN, yes.
Also, its kinda ironic how Cuba is again trying out equalism to solve the problem of class and race based discrimination against its Nahua population, since it didn't work out too well for Cuba the last time they embraced Equalism.
Cuba, ever the giant crisis flashpoint between global superpowers...
The school arc may be over, but I like how this update references minor events from previous chapters like Waka's invasion to the Lan Na-Ayutthaya and expands on their lore. I admit I forgot about the proto war crimes trial in EU4, but I do like how you added a detail about it being one incident that lead to Sigismund II and Metternich reforming the Augustian Code.
I'll continue these references in future updates when they become relevant for present day events. I have a lot in mind.
Since the mercenaries did draw from precedents from the Carolingian Empire in addition to the Reich's history to justify their actions at Phetchaburi, I wonder if comparisons between Caesar's conquest's of Gaul and his brutal suppression of Vercingetorix's rebellion are brought up when people discuss Saint Wilhelmina's anti French assimilation programs, both for and against her policies depending on the people arguing? Josh himself did compare the early Kaisers' deportations to the Jewish diaspora the First Empire created after all.
They probably did, as well as drawing from earlier military campaigns like the early Roman Republic (the Sabines) and Alexander's conquests.
One last thing; I love how the title of the next update is a Mulan reference, I know I'm going to love it based off that alone.:D
laughs

Sure...

Be a Man

Brandenburg Palace - March 4, 2018, 9:00 PM

Wilhelm Karl noticed Elias’ glass was empty and reached for the wine bottle.

“Another glass?” he said.

“I think I’ve had enough,” Elias said, “Won’t be able to drive home afterward.”

“I was thinking Frau Anhorn could help you,” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Problem is, she’s probably more drunk then I am,” Elias said.

“I haven’t drunk a single glass!” Gertrude shouted from another room, clearly inebriated.

“Your loss,” Wilhelm Karl said, “This bottle was probably sealed away before Prince Maximilian was even born.”

“Yeah, you’ve told me plenty of times,” Elias said.

“Oh, my apologies,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Anyways, I guess I’ll put it away then.”

He put the bottle back in a cabinet.

“Oh, I just remembered,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Did you receive the donation Francesca and I made to the Shepherds’ Brotherhood?”

“Uh, yeah, but we’re not sure how to accept it,” Elias said, “With our connections with Christenheit Bewegung, we may be running into campaign finance laws.”

“Don’t kid me, we both know the Brotherhood is an extension of Christenheit Bewegung,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I’m not stupid. Also, don’t worry about the laws. I’ve read up and we’re not breaking any of them.”

“I just want to know, why?” Elias said.

“Christenheit Bewegung aligns with many of my own views,” Wilhelm Karl said, “We’re all after the same thing. Peace, order, and control. This Reich is in chaos. Has been since the Sentinel leaks. The world is on fire. The Diet is full of idiots. What we need is to get our morals in order, so we can save this planet from cooking us all, while keeping our Reich and our people united. We must take back control.”

“You didn’t need to tell me all that,” Elias said, “I would’ve accepted just the first sentence. But a crown prince openly endorsing a party? Isn’t the royal family supposed to be impartial?”

“The role of the Hohenzollerns is not to be neutral but to provide balance, as my father said many years ago,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Why is why he has always picked sides in politics, to balance out the civilian government’s excesses. He’s openly endorsed certain individuals and groups before. He unilaterally passed pieces of legislation which have been the cornerstones of these entities, sometimes when the Diet voted against them already. My sister continued that tradition as the crown princess. I think I’m well within my rights to do the same. To say otherwise would be hypocritical.”

“Fair enough,” Elias said, “Why haven’t you done it sooner, though?”

“I made some regrettable mistakes in the last fifteen years,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I didn’t like my sister and mother very much, but when they up and died, I could’ve at least shown some grief for the cameras. Or at least said things in a way the media can’t take out of context. You are aware of my comments after Mother’s death, right?”

“Yeah, the ‘no comment’ incident,” Elias said, “Set off a firestorm within the left.”

“A prime example,” Wilhelm Karl said, “What I fully said was, ‘This is not a good time for me to comment on my mother’s death. I loved my mother dearly, and I must spend some time to privately grieve. Until that is done, I must provide no comment on the matter. Right now is too soon to share my thoughts with the press’. They cut out everything except ‘no comment’ and focused on my perceived coldness. The coldness I admit is my fault, but the rest is the left overreacting to out of context words.”

“What about the reports that you were overjoyed to learn you were the new heir after your sister’s death?” Elias said.

“Exaggerated,” Wilhelm Karl said, “My sister and I had our fair share of disagreements, but I would never wish death upon her. I would never want her dead so I could take the throne.”

“And the incident at the Great War commemoration four years ago?” Elias said.

“That was my fault,” Wilhelm Karl said, “My intention was that I didn’t want our country to bow to every single demand for political correctness, because then we’d bend over backwards to appease everyone for everything, no matter how trivial. That’s no way to behave. But I was a little drunk and…lost control. I apologized afterward. And my niece presiding over the ceremonies was just a coincidence the media latched onto. I don’t have anything against Little Willie. Although I feel like she’s a little naive sometimes. There's a reason everyone still thinks she's a video game-obsessed nerd, even at 36 and with a kid of her own.”

He sighed. “That’s my weakness, you see? I say things before I think them through. And now everyone thinks of me as this spoiled brat who’s glad to have his siblings out of the way so he can ascend to the throne. That’s far from it. I never wanted the throne. I never wanted this public reputation. But since we can’t change the past, I might as well try to move on.”

“You’ll be a good Kaiser,” Elias said, “Don’t worry about the bad press. We’ll handle it. Focus on ruling. Step into your destiny. Be a man.”

“Yes, yes,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I have to be a man. I have to be in control.”

He stood up.

“Well, you should be on your way now,” he said, “There’s a party conference tomorrow, if I’m not mistaken.”

Elias checked his phone.

“Right,” he said, “Well, thank you for inviting me and Gertrude over. We’ll be on our way.”

They shook hands.

“Look forward to our next meeting,” Elias said.

“As do I,” Wilhelm Karl said.

Brandenburg Palace - March 5, 2018, 1:00 PM

Otto coughed and gripped his cane again. He shuffled down the hallway as fast as he could, which was not fast at all. His legs begged him to go back to his room and rest, but he refused. He remembered what the doctors told him. There was no other option but to continue.

With all of his strength, he pushed a heavy door open and entered the August Chamber. The long hallway before him stretched across the length of the palace, lined by statues and portraits of his ancestors and those who had sat on the throne before them, all the way back to Augustus in a modern interpretation of translatio imperii. Otto walked past the statues of the First Empire’s rulers and most of the Second Empire’s statues, briefly stopping at Justinian’s. Had Justinian and Belisarius succeeded, maybe the Restoration could’ve happened centuries earlier…but then the Reich would’ve been much different, if not completely unrecognizable. Translatio imperii would’ve taken a different course, like a river of time flowing somewhere else.

Otto continued walking, and the Second Empire gave way to Friedrich the Great and Friedrich the Glorious, bridging the gap between Second and Third. He stopped at Friedrich the Great’s magnificent statue, which towered over Anna Doukas’ before it and Friedrich the Glorious’ and Saint Gunhilda von Schweinfurt’s joint statue after it. Of course, the designer took some artistic liberties based on the few paintings and descriptions of him from his time. And yet it looked nothing like the statue in the original August Chamber, which was destroyed with the original palace by the Soviets. Otto remembered running through that August Chamber as a kid and hiding from Louise behind the statue of “Friedrich the Giant.” He knew better a century later. Friedrich was no giant. Otherwise he would’ve been called that instead of “the Great.”

In front of the statue was a airtight display case guarded by several state of the art cameras. Inside, an ancient sword rested on soft fabric. Its blade, which didn’t seem to have rusted over the many centuries, was covered in a distinct pattern reminiscent of flowing water. However. unlike most Damascus steel swords of the era and region, it was straight and double-edged, like a German sword. Otto could barely make out the Greek inscription engraved on its blade: Enonon. Fitting a German sword made with Damascus steel would be called the Uniter, symbolizing the different peoples and ideas that came together in the Restoration. Naturally, the reality of the Restoration was much harsher and bloodier than that, but Enonon remained. It was the one of the few things his family managed to save from the old Brandenburg Palace. Enonon was as much a symbol of the Reich as the Hohenzollerns were. Over the centuries, the sword had acquired a mythical reputation. It was wielded in battle by many Kaisers before him, a symbol of their imperial legitimacy as successors of Frierich the Great.

While Wilhelm III was taken away in chains by Ocuil Acatl at Altmark, his legions fought with all of their remaining strength to recover Enonon, giving their lives to ensure it stayed out of the Triple Alliance’s hands much like the legions of the First Empire sacrificed everything to protect their eagle standards. Enonon was bestowed upon Siegfried I with the expectation he use it to avenge his father, and Sigismund I used it in battle against the Mongols and Mexica. It was in Martin I’s hands when he drove back Shah Rukh’s host at Persepolis. It was smuggled out of Berlin to Princess Sophia and her sole surviving relative Friedrich during the Anarchy, giving legitimacy to their rebellion against the Bethunist usurpers. It was in Victoria III’s hands when the Nahua-slayer, flanked by the "modern Scipios" Niketas Dalassenos and Florentina Gregorios, personally led the Sunrise Invasion and conquered Tenochtitlan, recovering Wilhelm III's body. It was controversially granted to Prince Nikephoros during his many wars across Eurasia and passed down to Siegfried II, which legitimized the Siegfriedist branch as the main dynastic line. Both the Maximists and Angeloi sought the sword and its legitimacy. Konrad von Habsburg wanted to invest his puppet, Prince Maximilian, with Enonon, but Sigismund II took it with him to Constantinople. Angelos wanted to do the same with Duke Franz Ferdinand. But with her father’s covert help, Louise smuggled it out when they escaped to Vienna. Otto remembered smiling when he heard how Angelos threw a giant fit upon learning Enonon was gone.

Next came Friedrich the Glorious and Gunhilda von Schweinfurt, who worked to expand the Reich across Europe and establish a new administration which could rule Europe and its many peoples for centuries. After that was Saint Wilhelmina, who forged a new path for the Reich, away from the centralized power of the Catholic Church and the decentralized influence of regional nobility. Down the line stood Siegfried I and Sigismund I, who led the country through the Thirteenth Century Crisis, but he didn’t stop. After that came the Friedrich Augustins and their reforms which created the Augustinian Code. There was also one for Kaiser Reinhard, but nobody talked about him other than the fact that he established a still very popular Danish tavern (now a popular tourist attraction on the Scandinavian border). Approaching the modern era, he passed the long line of Kaiserins from the Anarchy to the Nikephoran Wars. While they all had their own achievements, he was here to pay his respects to a certain few.

He walked past the statues of his more recent predecessors, Sigismund II and Franz Joseph, flanked by their imposing official portraits. They looked nothing like the statues of Augustus or even Friedrich the Great far down the line, but they were still Kaisers all the same.

“Yes indeed,” Franz Joseph said, appearing next to Otto.

“Hello,” Otto said.

“We’ve come a long way, haven’t we?” Franz Joseph said.

“Yes we have,” Otto said.

“I see you didn’t burn down the nation after I left,” Franz Joseph said.

“It came very close to that a few times, but we pulled through,” Otto said.

“Evidently,” Franz Joseph said, “Looks like you’ve done well. Not often do I get to talk with someone older than myself.”

“I’m just really lucky,” Otto said.

“Doesn’t look like it,” Franz Joseph said, “If anything, you did much better than I did, in my opinion.”

“Did I really?” Otto said.

“That’s not for either of us to answer, Otto,” Franz Joseph said.

Otto was alone again. He continued to the next statue, which was one he remembered very well. Karl waited for him there, inspecting his own statue.

“The architect did pretty well,” Karl said, “Then again, he had plenty of references. If only we hired that Schikelgruber sooner, he could’ve done my portrait as well. It’s unflattering.”

Otto turned and hugged his father, crying into his shoulder.

“Hi, Dad,” Otto said, “I missed you.”

“I missed you too, Otto boy,” Karl said, “How long has it been?”

“Far too long,” Otto said, “Over a hundred years. A hundred reminders of your death.”

Karl looked around and patted Otto on the head.

“You’ve done fine without me, my son,” Karl said, “This place is still standing.”

“It wasn’t for maybe fifty years,” Otto said.

“That’s beside the point,” Karl said, “It’s still around. You are still around. And if you are still here in front of me, then this country is still here. I only wish I got to do more as Kaiser. I’m really sorry, Otto boy, for leaving you and your mother too soon. That was my greatest failure as Kaiser. I remember what was happening in those last weeks. I can only imagine how much worse it got.”

“It got very bad,” Otto said, “Really bad.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you,” Karl said, “Although you’ve done fine.”

“Things turned out for the better,” Otto said, “Thanks to all of us.”

“That’s my boy,” Karl said, “Not giving up when all is lost.”

“To be fair, there were times when I was considering it,” Otto said, “Many times.”

“We’ve all had our fair share of suffering,” Karl said, “I did, even though my reign was short. All of our ancestors did. But what mattered is how we respond to it. And we responded to it by pushing forward.”

“That is how we’ve lasted so long, I guess,” Otto said, “How long’s it been, almost a thousand years since Friedrich the Great lived? Nine centuries since the Restoration? Sometimes, I’m surprised I’ve lasted this long with such a legacy to live up to.”

“Don’t worry about legacy, Otto boy,” Karl said, “You’ve done your part. You did what you thought was right.”

“But I’m still worried,” Otto said, “About the future.”

“We all are, my son,” Karl said, “I was too.”

“You didn’t have to worry about me turning out bad,” Otto said, “My own son…”

He broke down again and cried some more.

“I miss my daughter so much,” Otto said, “So, so much…she would’ve made the perfect Kaiserin after me…and Little Willie...that's...that's my own greatest failure as a Kaiser...all this...”

“I can’t tell the future for you,” Karl said, “I’m sorry if I can’t give you the answer you seek. But the river of time will carve out a new history for the Reich, and you’ve done your part. I hope your people do theirs after you. And remember, I was never supposed to be Kaiser. It was supposed to be my uncle Rudolf.”

“I hope so,” Otto said, “I hope you’re right, Father.”

“You should get some rest,” Karl said, “You don’t look so well.”

“I wanted to see you…one last time,” Otto said.

“I know,” Karl said, “But please, get some rest, Otto boy.”

“Of course, Dad,” Otto said, “Thank you.”

He was alone again. Otto resumed walking and reached the end of the hallway. As he opened the door, he turned to look at the line of statues one more time, before focusing on his own statue and portrait. They had been commissioned maybe twenty years ago, he didn’t know, and they depicted a slightly younger version of him. The accompanying plaques listed the accomplishments of his century on the throne. He hoped it got the basics right. He wondered how future generations would remember him. What would he be known for? The wars he led the country through? The speeches he gave? His love for Louise? How he raised his family? What charities he supported and founded? The leaders he met with? The crises he solved? The people he helped or didn’t? And what kind of nickname would they give him? Previous Kaisers and Kaiserins had names like “the Hammer,” “the Wise,” or “the Holy.” He doubted he was any of those. It would probably be something simple or expected like “the Phoenix” or “the Liberator.” He’d heard those names thrown around for a while now. Oh well, only the future would tell, and he’d probably never know.

He reached his room, climbed into bed, and relaxed. He knew he didn’t have long left, but he didn’t care. He had nothing else to do. He had done all he could.

2:00 PM

Wilhelm Karl quietly walked into Otto’s living quarters. His father lay in his bed, resting. He heard his father sigh, as if a little annoyed.

“You’re here, my son,” Otto said, “I haven’t seen you in months.”

“Well, I was busy…father,” Wilhelm Karl said, contempt in that last word, “And I wouldn’t want to disturb you, in your current condition.”

“What are you doing?” Otto said.

Wilhelm Karl locked the door. Justin and the Varangians had long been dismissed.

“What I should’ve done long ago,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Step into my destiny and be a man.”

Otto sighed again, knowing exactly what Wilhelm Karl was getting at.

“I knew this would happen,” he said, “You know, it doesn’t have to end like this, Karl boy.”

“But it does,” Wilhelm Karl said, “This nation needs to be renewed, like a phoenix. We must pass the torch to the next generation. We will carve a new history for the Reich.”

“I tried to help you get ready, but you refused,” Otto said.

“No, you didn’t help me at all,” Wilhelm Karl said, “You loved my sister way more than me. You gave her everything. I was just an afterthought. You didn’t care about me.”

“I did, my son,” Otto said, “I loved all of my children equally. I tried my best to help you, Karl boy. I didn’t want you to be like this. I wanted you to end up as a better man, to be the man you always could be.”

“I AM a better man,” Wilhelm Karl said, “And even if you’re not around to see it, the rest of the country will. We will pick up after you.”

Otto sighed again and weakly shook his head.

“I did my best,” he said, “I failed, obviously. My greatest failure is not on the battlefield or in the realm of politics, but in my own family. I failed to help you. And now the country will pay the price for my mistake.”

“You didn’t even try,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Otherwise we wouldn’t be here.”

“I did as much as I could, Karl boy,” Otto said, “You didn’t see it. I gave you a choice, but you never took it. I wish things went differently. I wished we could’ve still been happy. But I guess that’s how the world works, doesn’t it? Otherwise how did Kohl end up the way he did?”

“Kohl died because he was weak,” Wilhelm Karl said, “He didn’t have what it takes to do what must be done. That’s why Richter took advantage of him, let him waste away like that. She understands the realities of the world. That’s how she bent the great chancellor who won the war against equalism and liberated the Occupied Territories to her will. If you want something, you have to take it by force, before someone knocks you down. History is written by the winners, and that's a fact. You should know that, as Kohl found out. Idealists never end well.”

He picked up a pillow and approached Otto.

“I’m only taking what’s mine,” he said, “Taking my God-given birthright. I have only to send you to join him.”

“I can’t stop you, my son, and I won’t,” Otto said, “But know this, Wilhelm Karl. If you continue on this path, I know you will not find what you are looking for. You will only find misery. You will not be a good Kaiser. You will never be a man like me. You will drag the rest of our nation and our people down with you, doing what none of our enemies have succeeded at. Nothing you do will change that.”

Wilhelm Karl raised the pillow.

“You’re assuming I have to become you,” he said, “But that’s not the case. I will be Kaiser. I will rule as I see fit. Your time is over, old man, and I don’t want to be like you, Father. Far from it.”

The pillow fell.

“I will be myself.”

In his last moments, Otto did not resist.

Somewhere in rural Loango - March 5, 2018

Georg drew a line across a map.

“Okay, we want to repave the Autobahn stretch here,” he explained, “That way we can expand travel and commerce throughout the Congo basin. Then we could probably formalize the river ferries over here and set up a service to take people up and down the river.”

“And what about us then?” a villager asked.

“Right, I’m getting to that,” Georg said, “So I was just talking to the state governor and convinced him to support an infrastructure bill. I’ve also pitched in to help. We’re going to send people to inspect the building codes and make sure you’re living in safe houses. I’ll also pay for renovations and a complete overhaul of the electrical grid.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” a villager said, “When Berlin forgets about us, it’s nice to know you haven’t. Hermes be praised!”

“I’m just doing what I can,” Georg said.

One of his Varangians entered the building.

“Sir,” he said.

“What is it?” Georg said.

“Something urgent from Berlin,” the Varangian said.

“Well, what is it?” Georg said.

“Best you step outside,” the Varangian said.

“Uh, sure,” Georg said.

He walked outside. The other Varangians had gathered around Georg’s car. Their heads were bowed and gazes averted.

“Well?” Georg said. “What is it?”

“Sir, I’m sorry to inform you...” the Varangian said. “It’s your father, he...”

“No,” Georg said, “It can’t be. Not today.”

“I’m sorry,” the Varangian said.

Georg fell to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks. He couldn’t believe it. The day he had been dreading for so long finally arrived. But soon his grief turned to dread when he realized what would happen next.

“Father...” he said. “Please...I’m sorry...I wasn’t strong enough...I...”

Kyrillos High School - March 5, 2018, 3:05 PM

Alex opened his locker and put his things in his backpack, which he put on his back. As he headed for the door to take the bus home, he noticed the hallway was quieter than usual. People were all reading their phones and talking in hush tones. All except Josh, who talked to his friends like nothing had happened.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Alex said.

Nobody answered him. Some of the teachers appeared to be…crying?

Alex checked his phone. His news apps had gone crazy, showing at least fifty notifications for new major stories. He looked inside a classroom, where the smartboard was showing a documentary about the Kaiser’s life. Another TV showed another documentary. Five teachers watched both screens intently, some of them sobbing like he had not seen before. Something was really wrong. He finally opened one of the apps, and there it was, right in the headline, the words he had been expecting for so long yet never wanted to happen.

“KAISER OTTO DEAD AT 107”

He couldn’t believe it. He really couldn’t.

It was the end of an era.

---

RIP to a legend. We've known him for so long, and it hurt to actually write and post this update. He was first mentioned on August 31, 2016 in Chapter 261, took the throne three chapters later, gained his first viewpoint update in Chapter 283, and was crowned another three chapters later. He's been here for almost five years and 200 numbered chapters, basically the entirety of this AAR in real life time (since NWO has been taking so long). I will miss him a lot. I'm having trouble pushing the "post reply" button as part of me doesn't want him to canonically die, like with Anne.

I will hold off on posting Chapter 455 for a little bit as some of you may have had plans to post your own remembrances for Otto.

• 2Like
Reactions:
And so it’s finally over. I never thought I’d see this day for another few years. What a glorious reign it was, lasted for almost a century. For being thrusted into this responsibility at the age of five, he’s handled decades of civil wars, economic disasters and geopolitical crisis better than most other people in this situation. He certainly deserved all the ephiehets he got over the years. There won’t be another Kaiser like him for a long time. It’s time for the Phoenix to take a rest, time only knows when it will rise again. Perhaps we will see some force ghosts of Otto in the future.

As for Wilhelm Karl, he certainly showed a different dimension of himself in this update and definitely is more complex than I give him credit for, but Otto is right. If he heads down the road he’s currently heading down, some problems will occur for the Reich. Time will tell if he’ll become tempered enough to become worthy of wielding the sword Enonon and having a statue next to Otto and all his other ancestors in the August Chamber during his reign to come.

At least the Hellenic Africans and the August Chamber finally got mentioned, although that doesn’t make up for the pain of Otto’s lost. It’s good that Otto got to reflect on his ancestors’ acomplishments and talk to his dad and great uncle again through, he earned those moment.