The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Political Intrigue

Reichstag - November 20, 2016

Senator Lothar Lorenz (SPR-Saarland) paced around the floor, gesticulating forcefully as he delivered a powerful speech in front of the assembled politicians.

“And that is precisely the reason why we need a special counsel to investigate Sentinel,” he said, “Sentinel was embedded at every level of Roman society and government. There’s no telling how deep it runs. Our only major lead right now is Frau Novak’s report. And for all of her efforts, she probably didn’t come close to uncovering the entire beast. Even now, a year and eleven days after the report was leaked, over 80% of the conspirators haven’t even been charged yet. We need an independent counsel to launch an investigation into the matter and produce a thorough report on the extent of Sentinel’s reach.”

A substantial part of the Reichstag voiced their approval, while many others shook their heads and looked down.

“Both sides are the same!” an LKR senator shouted.

“What’s the problem with this proposal?” Lothar said. “What’s wrong with a special counsel? To borrow a phrase many of you seem to be fond of, if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide. Sentinel will reveal which of us is really acting in the interests of the people and which has been captured by the cabal of elites.”

Interim Senator Mihailo Princip (CMU-Nicomedia), filling in a vacated seat until December, stood up and looked at Lothar.

“The problem is, Senator Lorenz, that we may not have the funds for an investigation,” he said, “You may not know this, Lothar, but our budget’s been considerably stretched lately. Taxpayers demand accountability after Sentinel revealed a not insignificant amount of their marks went to funding classified projects that violated Roman and international laws and codes of ethics.”

“So you agree with me,” Lothar said, “We need accountability. This bill will provide it.”

“Don’t kid with me, Lothar,” Mihailo said, “I read your bill. You would fund this special investigation into Sentinel by cutting the military’s budget. Especially when the Eimerican situation is rapidly deteriorating. Over 40% of Fusang has been overrun by MSC, while Kanata is experiencing civil unrest after a Ragnaroker protest descended into chaos. Mexico is on its last legs, and if it falls, Aztlan, Tejas, Mayapan, and the UPM are next. Tawantinsuyu is about to collapse into civil war again. I don't see Thordarsson's Eimerican project amounting to anything in light of all this madness. We can’t afford to cut our military’s funding now, when so much is at stake.”

“Both sides are the same!” an LKR senator shouted.

“Look, my heart goes out to the people of the Eimericas who yearn for freedom,” Lothar said, “Yes, we should do everything we can to help them get there. But how can we even do that when there is a sinister plot holding us back? What happens if the ministers in charge of overseeing our troop deployments and military funding are compromised? Any continued intervention in the Eimericas would be useless.”

“I feel like you’re not being fully honest with me,” Mihailo said, “You still didn’t explain how we’re going to pay for this investigation. Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom.”

“Oh come on,” Lothar said, “They always ask this of every ambitious bill. How will we pay for the IHS expansion? How will we pay for the Social Code extension? How will we cover the health conditions of November 9 first responders? But when we bail out the rich and double the military-industrial complex’s budget again, just as Sentinel did, where are the same people? Why aren’t they asking their question then? You just want an excuse to hide behind an apparently legitimate excuse to avoid taking action when it really matters.”

“Both sides are the same!” the LKR senator shouted.

“Thank you, Senator Princip,” the Reichsrat majority leader said, “Thank you, Senator Lorenz, you may be seated. We will now commence voting on this measure in the Reichsrat. Please make your way to the back of the room and walk through the corresponding doorway.”

The senators got up and headed to the back, where they lined up in front of three doorways marked “Yes,” “No,” and “Abstain.” Lothar and many senators walked under the Yes doorway, while not an insignificant number walked under the No doorway, and a few walked under the middle Abstain doorway. Looking behind him, he was surprised to see Mihailo walk through the Yes doorway as well. Wasn’t he ardently criticizing the bill just a minute ago? Strange. The press would have a field day. Given how close the vote looked like it was right now, it seemed it might have a chance of passing, thanks to Mihailo. At least he could rest easy knowing he would get his investigation.

"Both sides are the same!" the LKR senator shouted, to nobody in particular.

November 21

Anders and Diana watched the vote on the news. Not the one about authorizing a special investigation which passed, but the one held the next day.

“You’re kidding me,” Anders said.

“I told you he would do it,” Diana said.

“He…voted for the bill in the Reichsrat,” Anders said, “It passed the Reichstag too. Why would he cast the deciding vote in committee against providing funding?”

“Mihailo Princip is not the same man we grew up hearing about,” Diana said, “In old age, he’s lost his touch. It seems Sentinel touched a nerve that he doesn’t want touched again by any special investigation.”

“So he voted in favor to look good,” Anders said.

He changed the channel to one of the major news outlets. It was still talking about how Mihailo had saved the bill.

“Everybody still calls him a hero, the last of the great statesmen of the Kohl days,” Anders said, “They still think he saved the bill and will bring Sentinel to justice. But they won’t tell us the bill is effectively dead.”

“You didn’t want to believe it,” Diana said.

“I thought things changed,” Anders said, “I thought when I exposed Sentinel, it would change everything for the better. But now I realized…nothing fundamentally changed. We are all aware of Sentinel’s existence, but everything still continues normally.”

“At least Brad’s running for his seat,” Diana said, “He’s stepping down in December, so Brad’s running practically unopposed.”

“Excited to become Director?” Anders said.

“I’m a little nervous,” Diana said, “Since Mom was Director and all.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Anders said, “Your mom would be proud of you. I know am. You’ll make a great Director.”

Diana kissed Anders. "Thanks, dear."

• 2Like
Reactions:
Mihailo is acting odd to both those who know him and just those who see him as a politician. Perhaps there's more than one reason he'd like to delay that investigation while appearing to the public that he's for it.

I was thinking since the Reich is essentially Germany I was wondering if during WW2 in TTL the armed forces of the Reich used weapons like the Gewehr 43 Semi-Automatic Rifle, STG-44 Assault Rifle, V-1 and V-2 Rockets, Heinkel He 162 and Messerschmitt Me 262 Jet Fighters, Arado Ar 234 and Horten Ho 229 Jet Bombers, or the Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 helicopter that were being developed by the Nazis in OTL but due to them losing the war were abandoned or did you use weapons like the MP5, G3, MG 3 and if so what was the lore reason for not using the Nazi prototypes?

Mihailo is acting odd to both those who know him and just those who see him as a politician. Perhaps there's more than one reason he'd like to delay that investigation while appearing to the public that he's for it.
He's only in the Diet until December. He can safely do all this without any consequences and retire as a revered statesman. Perhaps he too was implicated in Sentinel...
I was thinking since the Reich is essentially Germany I was wondering if during WW2 in TTL the armed forces of the Reich used weapons like the Gewehr 43 Semi-Automatic Rifle, STG-44 Assault Rifle, V-1 and V-2 Rockets, Heinkel He 162 and Messerschmitt Me 262 Jet Fighters, Arado Ar 234 and Horten Ho 229 Jet Bombers, or the Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 helicopter that were being developed by the Nazis in OTL but due to them losing the war were abandoned or did you use weapons like the MP5, G3, MG 3 and if so what was the lore reason for not using the Nazi prototypes?
The Reich used a mix of German, British, and US tech during the war, with the Angeloi leaning towards the German stuff and the loyalists with everything else. After the war the loyalists focused on improving what they had, which is why in the NWO era I've used pics of American and British weapons/vehicles.

I see the shadow of Sentinel still looms large even after its fall, despite everything X-Division has done. I can see why Anders is still skeptical about his legacy at this point, with the world continuing on its old habits as if nothings changed. It seems Mihailo has his agenda going on, seems like he'll be a character to watch out for when it comes to the pollical intrigues (heh) of this arc. Never thought I'd see him becoming something of a Machiavellian after his first appearances in HOI3, not sure what Gavrilo would think of him now.
“Don’t kid with me, Lothar,” Mihailo said, “I read your bill. You would fund this special investigation into Sentinel by cutting the military’s budget. Especially when the Eimerican situation is rapidly deteriorating. Over 40% of Fusang has been overrun by MSC, while Kanata is experiencing civil unrest after a Ragnaroker protest descended into chaos. Mexico is on its last legs, and if it falls, Aztlan, Tejas, Mayapan, and the UPM are next. Tawantinsuyu is about to collapse into civil war again. I don't see Thordarsson's Eimerican project amounting to anything in light of all this madness. We can’t afford to cut our military’s funding now, when so much is at stake.”
Well, that doesn't sound good. If this chaos ever spreads to Neurhomania, which is a possibility due to its border with Twantinsuyu and its large Queecha and Nahua populations, then the Reich's presence in the Eimericas might be in danger just as it was in the Neurhomanian emergency in the 60s and all of the wars with the Palluists. Mihailo may have had a point in this case, even if he immediately contradicted said point afterwards.
Nsorala is similar to Africa's situation in that it's been mostly ignored in favor of the northern core, but discrimination isn't as bad due to the other minorities and mixed populations present.
While we're on the topic of Neurhomania, does the syncretic Inti-Christain faith in the outer parts of Neurhomaina and Twantinsuyu have Malian pagan elements or other religions like native or Mesoeimerican religion? I don't think that was brought up when it was mentioned in the Twantinsuyu update or the Vicky 2 discussions.
Those who fled probably went to Scandinavia or settled in various areas around the Reich. I like the idea that the Romuvans settled in Egypt and fused elements of Coptic Christianity with Antras Sansas.
I wonder if we'll see looks at Lithuanian culture from Boris's perspective, since he's from Egypt and is serving in the Livonian military?

I see the shadow of Sentinel still looms large even after its fall, despite everything X-Division has done. I can see why Anders is still skeptical about his legacy at this point, with the world continuing on its old habits as if nothings changed. It seems Mihailo has his agenda going on, seems like he'll be a character to watch out for when it comes to the pollical intrigues (heh) of this arc. Never thought I'd see him becoming something of a Machiavellian after his first appearances in HOI3, not sure what Gavrilo would think of him now.
Unfortunately this was I think the last time I wrote about Mihailo. He is very old and I wanted to move on to younger politicians who would have to clean up the mess his generation made. His actions here show he and his generation aren’t the great statesmen the world thinks they are. They are opportunists who seek their own ambitions and want to advance their own interests before that of the greater good. That is why stuff like the Patriot Act is still in place despite it being very obviously Sentinel. And he’s going to retire anyways so it’s not his problem anymore, and it won’t affect his reputation at all.
Well, that doesn't sound good. If this chaos ever spreads to Neurhomania, which is a possibility due to its border with Twantinsuyu and its large Queecha and Nahua populations, then the Reich's presence in the Eimericas might be in danger just as it was in the Neurhomanian emergency in the 60s and all of the wars with the Palluists. Mihailo may have had a point in this case, even if he immediately contradicted said point afterwards.
This situation will only get worse...
While we're on the topic of Neurhomania, does the syncretic Inti-Christain faith in the outer parts of Neurhomaina and Twantinsuyu have Malian pagan elements or other religions like native or Mesoeimerican religion? I don't think that was brought up when it was mentioned in the Twantinsuyu update or the Vicky 2 discussions.
I think so but I haven’t focused on it.
I wonder if we'll see looks at Lithuanian culture from Boris's perspective, since he's from Egypt and is serving in the Livonian military?
Perhaps, but maybe further down the line when Boris heads back to Livonia. I haven’t written too much about him at this point.
Talk about all of the Machiavellian Realpolitik around the Reichstag everyone seems to forget that the military-industrial complex can wait because of sentinel. Unless...?
And now you see what Thierry fights against.

Showing Strength

Hansen residence, Athens - December 25, 2016, 5:00 PM

Alex, Diana, and Anders walked up to the door.

“Why don’t you ring the bell, Alex?” Anders said.

Alex rang the bell. Magda answered the door, as she always did.

“Hello!” she said, cheerfully hugging everyone. “You made it!”

“We wouldn’t miss it for the world, Auntie,” Anders said.

“Come on in,” Magda said, “Angie’s already here.”

They went inside. Erich and Bill were in the kitchen preparing roast beef and sharing war stories with each other. Other relatives lounged in the living room while waiting for dinner. Alex’s aunt Angela was in the corner, talking with a young woman who resembled her. That was his older cousin, Alexandra, the one his parents always talked so fondly about. He hadn’t seen her much since she rejoined the family a few months ago.

“Angie!” Anders said, approaching them first.

Angela looked up and smiled.

“Anders,” she said, “Di!”

She got up and hugged them.

“So good to see you again,” Angela said, “How’s the new job treating you?”

“It’s great,” Anders said, “I love it.”

“Might be getting a new one soon,” Diana said, “Looks like Brad’s going to win. You?”

“Things are great at the hospital,” Angela said, “Got promoted again, same as you. And I have plenty of time to write that book with Amina.”

“If only Olga were here to join us,” Diana said, “Then we’d have a full reunion.”

“Unfortunately, she’s busy with her new job,” Angela said, “Though she sends her regards. Got me a Kolyada card, as she usually does.”

"Yeah, same here with us," Diana said.

While his parents talked, Alex walked over to Alexandra.

“Hey, Alexandra,” he said.

“Nice to see you, Alex,” Alexandra said. “How are you doing?”

“Not as well as I hoped,” Alex said, “But you know, it’s middle school. Bullies, grades, sports, the full experience. No awkward dates though.”

“I remember those days,” Alexandra said, "Magnus, you..."

“How's physics going?” Alex said.

“This major is grueling,” Alexandra said, “I really wish I could do something cool, like discover a new element or something, but that’s far in the future.”

“I wish I was like you,” Alex said, “You seem to have everything under control. Meanwhile I barely have time to work on what I like.”

“Alex, you don’t have the full picture,” Alexandra said, “When you’re in the same place as I am, you’ll understand.”

“But I am,” Alex said, “I think I’m doing something wrong. I’m always bullied, my friends abandoned me, and my grades are slipping. You’re successful. You made it.”

“I hardly made it,” Alexandra said, “I’m still in grad school. I’m not as successful as you think. But you want advice? To put it bluntly, if your friends abandoned you, they were never your friends to begin with. Make new friends. And you have to stand up to the bullies. Don't be passive. The only thing they will recognize is strength.”

"I see," Alex said, "Maybe I'll try that."

"I promise you, things will get better eventually," Alexandra said, "They always will."

"You think?" Alex said.

"Of course," Alexandra said, "All this will pass eventually. Someday, you'll look back on these days as a memory and nothing more."

Alex laughed. "What a nice thought. A memory, and nothing more..."

“Dinner’s ready!” Erich said.

“Steak’s perfectly cooked!” Bill added.

“Look, let’s talk more after dinner,” Alexandra said, "Maybe you could show me what you've been working on."

“Sure,” Alex said, "I'd love to share that."

Brandenburg Palace - December 9, 2016

Heinrich walked into the situation room in a hurry, his hat in his hands. The other generals and admirals were already at the table, watching a computer map and several live news feeds with Chinese script. Conference calls represented other commanders.

“I came here as fast as I could,” he said, “What’s happening?”

“Tawantinsuyu,” General Ermolli said, “Everything’s on fire.”

“When is it not?” Megas Droungarios Halderman said.

“I need more details,” Heinrich said.

“The country has split into at least four factions, possibly more,” General Steuben said, “Some neo-equalist, some Paulluist, and quite a few MSC cells. We’re still receiving information, but it’s slow. Internet’s down. Our consulates were evacuated after Cusco descended into chaos. The government is...basically gone. Nobody knows where the Sapa Inca is or if he’s still alive. We think he’s holed up in Vilcabamba but we’re not sure.”

“How badly did they frak up?” Heinrich said.

“Quite a lot, I gather,” Ermolli said.

“What’s our response?” Heinrich said.

“Neurhomania is already reporting an increase in border crossings,” General Haner said, “MSC is ramping up operations in the Caribbean and South Eimerica. We’re going to ramp up counterterrorism efforts and border security.”

“Why are we Kaiserliche Marine people even here?” Halderman said. “This sounds like a Heer problem if it is a military one.”

“Megas Droungarious, you’re on the General Staff,” Heinrich said, “This is a meeting of the General Staff. Unless you’d like to relinquish your post. Haner, further recommendations?”

“Tawantinsuyu has to be stabilized,” Haner said, “Look at what happened to Mayapan. And besides that, its collapse means every nation in the Eimericas, us included, is at risk of suffering further instability. Even Neurhomania can’t handle a refugee influx that large. They’re shutting the border and increasing surveillance of Nahua majority communities. An overreaction from the KRA, I know, but still. The Eimerican Community remains our best chance at stabilizing the two continents, and if it is to survive, we need immediate intervention. Also, we have to expand counterterrorism efforts in Fusang and the UPM. Especially the UPM. Panama City’s being evacuated as we speak. We've got to show strength.”

“Well, moving on to better news,” Steuben said, “Our negotiation with the moderate militias was successful and is holding. They’ve agreed to help the government against MSC in exchange for more political representation. The loss of Prince Horst was a tragedy, but it hasn’t stopped the peacekeeping effort. And it seems to have strengthened the movements for further integration in both the Eimericas and Southeast Asia.”

“And not a moment too soon,” Heinrich said, “By the way, where is His Majesty?”

“He couldn’t make it,” Ermolli said, “Another medical checkup.”

“Then who are we waiting for?” Heinrich said.

The door slammed open, and Wilhelm Karl walked in.

“I’m sorry, but he insisted,” Halderman said.

“I apologize for being late,” Wilhelm Karl said, his voice calm but disappointed, “I see you started the briefing without me.”

“Yes, Your Highness, I was just updating my fellow commanders on—” Heinrich said.

Wilhelm Karl sighed with frustration and glared at Heinrich, who gulped and immediately shut up. He had heard rumors of the prince's intimidating glare, but to be on the receiving end of it was something else. He could feel his resolve crumbling. The other commanders around him looked like they felt the same. These were men he had served with for decades. They'd seen battle in places like Siam, Fusang, Russia, and Mexico, but nothing could prepare them for the tense quietness of the man who would be their next commander-in-chief.

“I apologize for not making myself clear,” Wilhelm Karl said, “It is customary to not start the briefing until the Kaiser or his representative has arrived, yes? Because it is the Kaiser who will ultimately be making the final decision as a result of this briefing?”

“Yes, yes, Your...Your Highness,” Heinrich stammered.

“Then why did you start the briefing before I arrived?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Because I—” Heinrich said.

“Was hasty and undisciplined,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Are you aware of something called the chain of command?”

“Yes, but—” Heinrich said.

“Then you know it is important that we have discipline and deference in our armed forces,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Or else we do not have a country. To have discipline is to have strength, and should we deviate from that, we will fall apart, and these terrorists will destroy us. They only listen to strength, and we must show them we are strong not only in firepower, but also in will.”

“I understand, Your Highness,” Heinrich said.

“I do not want to see such behavior again,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I will interpret a future offense as dereliction of duty…or worse.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” Heinrich said, “My deepest apologies.”

“Good,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Now that we’re all on the same page, please, begin the briefing.”

Heinrich cursed silently. He had a lot of work ahead of him...

Outside Tenochtitlan - February 10, 2017, 0800 hours

The convoy raced as fast as it could down the desert road. Boris looked out the window of his car and followed the lines of tanks and armored transports back to the horizon. He didn’t expect the retreat to happen so suddenly. After Pima and Gull Rock, it looked like the MSC was on its last legs, and they would soon have Zolin in custody. But he miscalculated the strength of the group’s Fusang branch. They’d descended from the mountains and their hideouts in the Great Basin and pushed into the coastal heartland. Zhumasi was only the beginning of the terror. Now they were drawing even closer to Jinshan and had reinforced the Mexican branch.

“This is a frakking disaster,” Boris muttered, “Goddamnit.”

“Hey, look on the bright side, we’re close to liberating Aztlan,” Gebhard said, “We still hold Pima.”

“What good are Pima and Aztlan going to do when we’re about to lose the core?” Boris said.

“We’re not going to lose the core,” Ollin said, “I’ve got my best troops there.”

“Remember what happened the last time you had your best troops somewhere?” Boris said.

“We don’t talk about that,” Ollin said, “Why don’t we talk about the Nuer insurgency? The one you ignored until now?”

“I’m not in charge into goddamn African military affairs!” Boris said.

“Enough!” Gebhard said. “Stop arguing!”

The two men shut up.

“Now, when we get back to Tenochtitlan, we’re going to analyze these two continents of complete clusterfrak, and afterward we’re going to work out a plan to kill these motherfrakking terrorists and restore…” Gebhard said.

His phone rang. He picked it up.

“I’m in the middle of something here, make it quick,” he said.

He listened for a few seconds.

“I see,” he said, “Good to know. Keep me posted.”

He hung up and pounded his armrest.

“Somebody turn this convoy around and get us to safety!” he shouted. "Tenochtitlan is in danger!"

Outside Parral - February 16, 2017, 1000 hours

A dart thudded into the side of the target board.

“7,” a soldier read.

Another man pumped his fists. “Woo!”

Kurt patted him on the back. “Great job.”

He picked up a dart. He took a deep breath and threw the dart as precisely as he could.

“4,” the soldier said.

The crowd groaned in disappointment.

“Next time, Moreau.”

“So close…”

“Almost had it there, man.”

Kurt smiled and walked away, letting another guy try his luck. As he picked up a light beer, he noticed Gustav sitting nearby. He was the only person in the room not wearing fatigues. Gustav noticed him and waved. Kurt sat next to him.

“Hey, Gustav,” he said, “What are you doing here?”

“Argus business,” Gustav said.

“So you took the offer,” Kurt said.

“I mean, after I sold Swords to Ploughshares to the Shepherds’ Brotherhood, they hooked me up with this gig,” Gustav said, “Pays a lot more. Great benefits too.”

“What’s Argus doing here?” Kurt said.

“Well, you know, the new push into western Mexico and the divide and conquer scheme needs more manpower than we have,” Gustav said, “Since Merkel vetoed the troop surge, the Diet instead contracted us.”

“Must be exciting to get back in the field, after all these years,” Kurt said.

“I was about to say the same to you,” Gustav said.

“I’m still military,” Kurt said, “You went private. After our stint on the campaign trail.”

“Well, I can send in a referral in case you want a change in career,” Gustav said.

“I’ll think about it,” Kurt said, “How long are you with us?”

“As long as it takes to take this city,” Gustav said, “Then we move up to Fusang.”

“Great,” Kurt said, shaking his hand, “I’ll see you around.”

Gull Rock - February 27, 2017

Thordarsson's people sent a Shawnee, Cutsagabe Sun Fish. Everyone called him Sun Fish because nobody knew how to pronounce Cutsagabe properly. Gebhard didn’t know why Thordarsson chose Sun Fish. That guy didn’t have a particularly good record of fighting insurgents in his home. There were rumors he had led a particularly brutal militia during the Eimerican Wars of the 90s, and even Atoc Sopa Atoc feared him.

“Progress is slow,” Sun Fish said, “We’ve retaken about 40% of the city. But they’ve rigged most of the streets and houses with IEDs. We’ve taken heavy casualties. It’ll take us a while.”

“Keep at it, General,” Gebhard said, “Though I'd advise you try to...take a different approach. We're receiving some...complaints from the locals.”

"Calm down, Remmele," Sun Fish said, "I have the situation under control. Meanwhile, I hear your Fusang campaign’s bogged down.”

“Actually, Hongzhou finally passed the amnesty plan,” Gebhard said, “Lay down their arms, come out of the mountains and deserts, and surrender, and minor offenders will be rehabilitated. Took a page out of Prince Horst's plan. Really popular.”

“Not among the Fusangren, I imagine,” Sun Fish said.

“Oh, there are riots in Hongzhou,” Gebhard said, “But at least I don’t have to send several divisions up to the mountains where they’ll most definitely die. My troops will reinforce yours here soon.”

“What about those who didn’t take the deal?” Sun Fish said.

“We’ll give them another one,” Gebhard said, “But Ollin won’t be as lenient. He's been on a vengeful streak lately. Kind of reminds me of you.”

"Of course he is," Sun Fish said, "The man got humiliated by one of his old officers. He wants revenge against Zolin. I sympathize with that. Got to show strength and stay in control."

Gebhard didn't want to know what Sun Fish's definition of showing strength or staying in control was.

Parral - March 18, 2017

Kurt crept through the Mexica temple, his gun at the ready. His squad fanned out behind him, taking up positions behind pillars, fences, and furniture. He heard Nahuatl liturgical chants coming from the doorway at the end of the hallway. Some of them sounded heavily accented, as if Nahuatl wasn’t their native language. He didn’t care about it. They were all terrorists. They all would die equally at his hand.

He primed a flashbang and tossed it through the doorway. It detonated, its flash blinding everyone in the room, who collapsed and screamed. Kurt looked at his men, who emerged from their hiding places and charged with him inside the room.

“Hoch!” Kurt shouted, opening fire.

The terrorists fell, their blood splattering against the far wall even as the glare from the flashbang continued hanging in the air, still not fading as the first bodies thudded to the floor. Kurt tuned out the gunfire, both from his own gun and those of his squad, because it wasn’t important. He didn’t notice the shell casings piling up around his feet until he was done shooting and the terrorists were all on the floor. One was still alive, a Roman. Gemischt, from the skin tone. He was desperately crawling away, leaving behind a trail of blood. Kurt walked over and firmly put his boot down on the terrorist’s panicked head before pressing the barrel of his gun to his back.

“Don’t move, terrorist,” he said, “You’re now a prisoner of the Reich.”

“Your prisons don’t scare me,” the terrorist said.

“Where have I heard your voice before?” Kurt said.

“Hey, that guy looks familiar,” one of his soldiers said.

“Isn’t that…Werner Hainisch?” another soldier said. “The executioner?”

Kurt looked closely at the terrorist’s face.

“You’re right,” he said, “It’s Werner Hainisch. Even better.”

Gull Rock - May 5, 2017

“So,” Gebhard said, “Status report?”

“We’re not doing too hot here,” Sun Fish said, “Casualties have reached almost sixty thousand. Reinforcements aren’t doing any better. But we should have the city within a week.”

“Sixty thousand?!” Gebhard said. “What the frak did you do?!”

“I have Werner Hainisch in captivity,” Sun Fish said.

“THE Werner Hainisch?” Gebhard said.

“Yeah,” Sun Fish said, “Certainly better than what you’ve done, General.”

“Excuse me?!” Gebhard said. “I cut MSC in half, Bradziunas and I! Ollin just liberated Aztlan! We've saved Fusang! Meanwhile, you exchanged almost sixty thousand casualties for a single high profile terrorist! Do you have any idea how this is going to play with the civilian media?”

“Well, that’s your problem, because it’s your troops,” Sun Fish said, “I’m just going to retire to the Shawnee mountains.”

“Well, consider your retirement starting now, because you’re fired,” Gebhard said, "Thordarsson himself regrets appointing you."

So much for a feared militia leader.

---

I think this is where the "glitch" with the improperly written MSC event happened. The event to spawn MSC provinces accidentally fired again for Fusang. I'm not sure since I think I skipped over those screenshots in the chapter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's good advice Alex is getting from Alexandria, let's see if he keeps that in mind for his next semester.

Well so much for keeping Wilhelm Karl in line. I can see why you compared Wilhelm Karl to Charles Dance, he definitely has that air of authority and power that's similar to characters he usually plays like Tywin Lannister or Emperor Emhyr, especially with how a room full of experienced war veterans were terrified by his presence.

I see Africa is having its own stuff going down as well. I assume Abyssinia is the country having trouble since the Neur are an ethnic group in South Sudan. Is it similar to previous Abyssinian events like the Equalist takeover probaly started by Halie Salise's attempts to reinstate a Metternich style regime or the Kaffa Crisis at the dawn of the 20th century, or is it something else, like non Jewish minorities rebelling against perceived discrimination?

And the Eimericas continue to be a clusterfrak, now with Twantinsuyu exploding, the MSC even more powerful and the coalition showing signs of division and infighting among its leaders. At the coalition got Werner despite the many injuries and deaths it took, he's no Zolin but it's a good start. Also...
I think this is where the "glitch" with the improperly written MSC event happened. The event to spawn MSC provinces accidentally fired again for Fusang. I'm not sure since I think I skipped over those screenshots in the chapter.
So is this like how the defection event in HOI3 fired more times than it should have, causing changes to the story?

Hope that glitch doesn't break your game, it'd suck if that was the case. Anyway, seems the situation in Eimerica is destabilizing even further. Things are not ending soon there it would seem. And of course the refugee crisis is sure to put the Romans as well as the Coalition on an edge, especially if the MSC managed to sneak in a few of their people among those seeking refuge.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, at least Wilhelm can command attention. Now if he could just learn to hone back in his anger, he wouldn't be half bad as heir.

That's good advice Alex is getting from Alexandria, let's see if he keeps that in mind for his next semester.
We'll see soon...
Well so much for keeping Wilhelm Karl in line. I can see why you compared Wilhelm Karl to Charles Dance, he definitely has that air of authority and power that's similar to characters he usually plays like Tywin Lannister or Emperor Emhyr, especially with how a room full of experienced war veterans were terrified by his presence.
I was inspired by Tywin a lot in writing Wilhelm Karl, although I admittedly only know him from pop culture and reading the wiki and never watched or read Game of Thrones. He's going to be a real handful.
I see Africa is having its own stuff going down as well. I assume Abyssinia is the country having trouble since the Neur are an ethnic group in South Sudan. Is it similar to previous Abyssinian events like the Equalist takeover probaly started by Halie Salise's attempts to reinstate a Metternich style regime or the Kaffa Crisis at the dawn of the 20th century, or is it something else, like non Jewish minorities rebelling against perceived discrimination?
Not really, this was just a minor unscripted rebellion the AI put down almost immediately. Originally I was going to put gameplay screenshots in these updates, and this would be one of them, but I decided against it.
And the Eimericas continue to be a clusterfrak, now with Twantinsuyu exploding, the MSC even more powerful and the coalition showing signs of division and infighting among its leaders. At the coalition got Werner despite the many injuries and deaths it took, he's no Zolin but it's a good start. Also...
The New World is a mess.
So is this like how the defection event in HOI3 fired more times than it should have, causing changes to the story?
Yeah, although by comparison this was relatively easy to fix and work around as it only draws out the conflict and doesn't change the outcome.
Hope that glitch doesn't break your game, it'd suck if that was the case. Anyway, seems the situation in Eimerica is destabilizing even further. Things are not ending soon there it would seem. And of course the refugee crisis is sure to put the Romans as well as the Coalition on an edge, especially if the MSC managed to sneak in a few of their people among those seeking refuge.
Nah, this was pretty minor and opened up some new story paths I could write, making the insurgency much more of a threat.
Well, at least Wilhelm can command attention. Now if he could just learn to hone back in his anger, he wouldn't be half bad as heir.
That will be a problem...

A minor update on my previous post, the 2020 year-end AAR awards' voting period has been extended for another two weeks, so there's still plenty of time to vote for your favorite AARs of the year!

Reactions:
The Interview

Schmitz Broadcasting main offices, Berlin - April 15, 2017

A jingle played, and the lights on the camera blinked. Bysandros checked his notes, while Elias adjusted his eyepatch and straightened his tie. The lights turned red, and the cameras began recording.

“Welcome back to this exclusive broadcast,” he said, “Today we have a special guest whose old-fashioned ways are raising new hope. His name is Elias Anhorn, CB political strategist, veteran of the Mexico war, and leader of the Shepherds’ Brotherhood, here to tell us about his rags-to-riches story and what he thinks he can do to heal the Reich’s broken political system and wayward society. Herr Anhorn, thank you for coming over today.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Bysandros,” Elias said.

“First off, would you mind telling me about the Shepherds’ Brotherhood?” Bysandros said. “The origins of this organization, and its goals? Because there are a lot of viewers right now who haven’t heard much of it but I believe would love to know more.”

“Of course,” Elias said, “I grew up in Königsberg. My dad was taken away to a reeducation camp by the KGB and never seen again. My mom was killed in a Roman missile strike during the war, so that left just my sister Ellie and me. After the war, Königsberg was a mess, and to protect my sister, I had to get my hands dirty.”

“You joined a gang,” Bysandros said.

“More like led one,” Elias said, “But we were different.”

“How so?” Bysandros said.

“Originally we were like any other gang,” Elias said, “Unruly thugs who wanted nothing more than to break things and steal money. But we soon realized we were without purpose in life. We aspired to something greater. So we changed ourselves and our community. We went legit.”

“So the Brotherhood grew out of your old gang,” Bysandros said.

“In a way,” Elias said, “We soon evolved into something completely different. Most of the kids in the city, ourselves included, came from bad homes. We knew they would end up like us if they continued on their path. So we took many jobs. With the money we earned, we set up after school programs, free meals, music and art classes, and sports leagues for them. It was our mission to lift them out of poverty and give them a life away from this city and its crime. We wanted to make sure they wouldn’t end up like us. Turned out we were the most effective nonprofit in the city, because every other organization was corrupt. They tried shutting us down with all kinds of excuses, but we persisted. We gained more and more supporters, allowing us to continue expanding our reach, and here we are.”

“That sounds very inspiring,” Bysandros said, “And from such humble origins, the Shepherds’ Brotherhood spans dozens of cities in the east and is one of the largest nonprofits in the Reich. What do you think about this journey?”

“I’d like to thank God for giving me this opportunity to do good,” Elias said, “Although I regret Ellie isn’t here to see it.”

“Your sister passed away from lung cancer as a result of being exposed to toxins as a first responder on November 9,” Bysandros said, “And your wife, Gertrude, was shot last October. How has tragedy shaped your life?”

“Well, losing Ellie was a huge tragedy for me,” Elias said, “Growing up, we only had each other to rely on. She was my only family. And when she died, on the day of my wedding no less, I felt truly alone. But her death drove me to redouble my efforts. I vowed to dedicate the rest of my life to honoring her memory, as she asked me to do with her dying breath. I expanded the Brotherhood into the operation you see today, helping millions of children across the east. We’re now expanding westward, once we get the paperwork in order to remove all doubt. My old friends and I also joined the military, not only to serve our country, but to pay back the men who destroyed the towers and gave my sister her cancer.”

He tapped his eyepatch. “That’s how I lost this eye.”

“You are a very dedicated man, Elias,” Bysandros said.

“I can’t rest,” Elias said, “Not until I kept my promise to Ellie.”

“Your acquisition of Swords to Ploughshares has significantly expanded the Brotherhood’s presence outside the eastern provinces,” Bysandros said, “What are your plans for the future? What are you going to do with this new influence?”

“I’ll do what I’ve always done,” Elias said, “Help as many disadvantaged and poor children as I can wherever we are. Keep fighting against those who want to keep me down. Fight for those who keep being pushed down with me. Our nation can’t be healed unless we set our next generation and future leaders on a correct and moral path.”

“On that note, tell me about your political activism,” Bysandros said, “You’ve taken steps in the last year to align yourself and the Shepherds’ Brotherhood with Christenheit Bewegung. What do you hope to accomplish with this?”

“I think Christenheit Bewegung is the party most aligned with my goals and mission,” Elias said, “The mainstream parties that form the party cartel, as my good friend Thierry Baudet refers to them as, are opposed to any real change. They are like the equalists thirty years ago. They and their donors on the Borsenplatz want to keep us poor and fighting for scraps among ourselves so we stay under their thumb, easily cowed and divided by sensationalized stories of rising crime and widespread poverty. They don’t want action to be taken. The politicians in the mainstream establishment calling themselves 'servants of the people' are not interested in serving the people at all. They just want to protect their own wealth and influence. They were supposed to protect us, but they didn't stop the decay of our infrastructure, the burning of our planet, rising crime and poverty, and declining standards of living everywhere. In this age of global terrorism, climate crisis, and a gridlocked Diet, we need change. If we are to survive these dire times, Berlin needs new leadership. I aim to move this change along with the help of the Brotherhood, educating our next generation and equipping them with the tools to reshape our Reich into a more sustainable and moral nation.”

“That sounds very ambitious,” Bysandros said, “Well, I believe we’re out of time. Thank you so much for talking with us today. I know you’re going to do great things.”

Elias smiled and shook his hand.

“It was a pleasure, Bysandros,” he said.

The cameras stopped recording. Elias got up and headed for the backroom to talk with Gertrude about something. Bysandros headed for the bathroom bathroom. However, he didn’t get far before a familiar man walked around a corner, locked eyes with him, and then slammed him against the wall.

“Jesus, man, chill out!” Bysandros said.

Anders Humboldt simply glared at him.

“I know what you did to Gertrude Anhorn,” Anders hissed, “I know you had her shot. Did you work on the plan with Elias Anhorn?”

“What?!” Bysandros said, utterly confused. “Shoot Gertrude? Why the hell would I do that? And why the hell would Elias do that?!”

“Don’t lie to me,” Anders said, “I know you arranged it. Framed the student. Maybe Elias was in on it too.”

What? Lie? He didn't even know how to use a gun! Everything in Tel Aviv happened so fast, it was over before he even knew it.

“Okay, say I did it,” Bysandros said, “How will you prove it? What evidence do you have? And why would Elias want to shoot his own wife? She’s his only family! Makes no sense.”

Elias emerged from the backroom. He was the only person to notice Bysandros struggling and walked over.

“Everything okay?” he said.

Anders released Bysandros, who fixed his tie and took in a deep breath.

“Seriously, that was uncalled for,” Bysandros said, “Especially from someone like you.”

“You can deny it all you want, but I know you did it,” Anders said, “I’m going to prove it.”

He walked away. Bysandros scoffed. There was nothing to prove.

“Shouldn’t have expected better from Anders Humboldt,” Bysandros said, “Guy was always a loose cannon.”

“That’s Anders Humboldt?” Elias said. “The guy who exposed Sentinel with Theresa Novak?”

“Yeah,” Bysandros said, “His wife’s also Director of the Athanatoi now.”

“Isn’t that a conflict of interest?” Elias said.

“Should be a interesting conversation at their dinner table,” Bysandros said, “That is, after I serve him. Heh, serve.”

“Bysandros, I suggest you don’t press charges,” Elias said.

“And why shouldn’t I?” Bysandros said. “That guy clearly assaulted me, in full view of at least three security cameras. Open and shut case. I could get a restraining order.”

“Yeah, get the restraining order, but let the loose cannon explode on himself,” Elias said, “No need for charges. Eventually, he’ll be responsible for his own downfall."

Elias watched Anders leave the building and get into a waiting car. "Idealists like him seldom end well.”

• 1Like
Reactions:
Elias, you've done some good but that's tainted by a whole lot of shady business... you really don't want to get Anders on your case. There's a long line of people who thought they'd be the one to see Anders fall to his ideals, and they're not doing great.

Uh, right now this is like House of Cards. The question is? Who will have a downfall like Kevin Spacey?
And how bad will it be?
Elias, you've done some good but that's tainted by a whole lot of shady business... you really don't want to get Anders on your case. There's a long line of people who thought they'd be the one to see Anders fall to his ideals, and they're not doing great.
Yep, Anders has that plot armor going for him. But then again, Elias is also a protagonist...

I see a rivalry brewing between Anders and Elias. I don’t think I ever came up with that idea before, but I am intrigued at where this goes. X-Division and the Forum clashing will be both scary and interesting to see.

I wonder what the Raganorkers are like and how they differ between the radical Kanatan extremists that just rioted and the more mainstream branches that exist in Scandinavia and possibly Andalusia, since the 2000s update did say that the Scandinavian Ragnorkers, for a traditionalist party, they actually were actually pro immigration and progressive in some areas, probably the environment like the CB/Forum. Also, what do they think of Christians since I know there is a small Christian minority in Scandinavia from its country update? I like to imagine Scandinavian Christians are a syncretic mix of Orthodox Christians descended from WW2 refugees, former Fifty Years War era heretics that fled to Scandinavia instead of Lithuania, and left over pre Pagan Resurgence Catholic communities.

While I’m focused on the Norse, what’s Scandinavia’s current relationship and ties with the former Soviet sphere countries and Kanata after the partition and the collapse of Equalism? I don’t think the Finnish would like Russia very much because of its ties to Yavadi and history of conflict with the Soviets, but many Swedes would likely be sympathetic to Russia’s plight due to its leftover Slavic ties from the legacy of Tsarist exodus and rule. Meanwhile, I can Norway being a popular destination for Eimerican immigrants and refugees fleeing the ongoing crisis since the Karnatan monarchy established themselves during the Equalist era and introduced many Eimerican influences to Norway.

Also, I know the Eastern Provinces/Occupied Territories are mostly Greco-Germanic Christians, but how any religious minorities like Slavic and Rovuma pagans doing. I remember the Slavic high priest was once based in the Dacian city of Tirgoviste and the Romuva priesthood lived in the Polish city of Stettin before the Soviets took over (which might actually fit with the Polish diaspora in Lithuania that contributed to the Commonwealth's military now that I think about it), so there's probably a lot of Romuvans and Slavs in those two provinces. How much do they interact with other Rovuma/Slavic communities in places like Scandinavia, the former CSSR or Egypt?

Last edited:
I see a rivalry brewing between Anders and Elias. I don’t think I ever came up with that idea before, but I am intrigued at where this goes. X-Division and the Forum clashing will be both scary and interesting to see.
This will be a dangerous battle...
I wonder what the Raganorkers are like and how they differ between the radical Kanatan extremists that just rioted and the more mainstream branches that exist in Scandinavia and possibly Andalusia, since the 2000s update did say that the Scandinavian Ragnorkers, for a traditionalist party, they actually were actually pro immigration and progressive in some areas, probably the environment like the CB/Forum. Also, what do they think of Christians since I know there is a small Christian minority in Scandinavia from its country update? I like to imagine Scandinavian Christians are a syncretic mix of Orthodox Christians descended from WW2 refugees, former Fifty Years War era heretics that fled to Scandinavia instead of Lithuania, and left over pre Pagan Resurgence Catholic communities.
I'm going to introduce a minor Scandinavian character who is the leader of the Ragnarokers in Scandinavia. They're a lot like CB with their environmentalist stance and rejection of identity politics. They merged their core religious beliefs (Ragnarok has already begun) with their environmentalism (humans are causing Ragnarok through climate change), and as such Elias would like to work with them. They don't see Scandinavian Christians any differently from other Scandinavians. Scandinavian Christians do have a lot of Catholic and Fifty Years' War influences, but they do have some pagan influences from Russia, Yavdi, and Kanata.
While I’m focused on the Norse, what’s Scandinavia’s current relationship and ties with the former Soviet sphere countries and Kanata after the partition and the collapse of Equalism? I don’t think the Finnish would like Russia very much because of its ties to Yavadi and history of conflict with the Soviets, but many Swedes would likely be sympathetic to Russia’s plight due to its leftover Slavic ties from the legacy of Tsarist exodus and rule. Meanwhile, I can Norway being a popular destination for Eimerican immigrants and refugees fleeing the ongoing crisis since the Karnatan monarchy established themselves during the Equalist era and introduced many Eimerican influences to Norway.
Scandinavia is on good terms with its former colony Kanata, and the two provide a bridge between the Eimericans and Europeans. Scandinavia also approves of a Kanatan being at the helm of the Eimerican bloc. The Kanatan provinces of Iceland and Greenland (I think they're with Kanata) are currently holding plebiscites on whether to remain with Kanata (as has been the case since the 1920s) or rejoin Scandinavia, but the issue looks like it won't be resolved for many decades. The two islands do have a lot of mixed native, Kanatan, and Scandinavian influences. Scandinavia doesn't have much of an opinion of Yavdi other than old border disputes on the White Sea coast which are long resolved. It maintains its traditional ties with Livonia and is cordial with Russia, sometimes sending financial aid.

Within Scandinavia, the Norse people (contrary to what I said in CK2 with the culture conversions) have been differentiating into smaller groups over the centuries, and this was accelerated by the partition. So you have the Norwegians who are more Kanatan/Eimerican influenced and religiously conservative, leading to the rest of the Scandinavians calling Norway the "Edda Belt"; the Danes who are more Roman influenced and progressive; and the Swedes who are Russian-influenced and fiercely anti-equalist but still support social democratic policies and friendly ties with Russia. These distinctions are cultural or geographical for the most part, and they all speak similar but distinct dialects of Norse. The Finns maintain close ties with Yavdi but also embrace their Scandinavian nationality, although they want the Norse to recognize them as equals. They are even more anti-equalist than the Swedes.
Also, I know the Eastern Provinces/Occupied Territories are mostly Greco-Germanic Christians, but how any religious minorities like Slavic and Rovuma pagans doing. I remember the Slavic high priest was once based in the Dacian city of Tirgoviste and the Romuva priesthood lived in the Polish city of Stettin before the Soviets took over (which might actually fit with the Polish diaspora in Lithuania that contributed to the Commonwealth's military now that I think about it), so there's probably a lot of Romuvans and Slavs in those two provinces. How much do they interact with other Rovuma/Slavic communities in places like Scandinavia, the former CSSR or Egypt?
There are some Slavic remnant communities in Poland and eastern Germany (Sorbians come to mind), and some Lithuanians live on the Russian border in the lands taken from Lithuania after 1915. Over the next few decades they migrated around the area, although a lot were deported to Yavdi (where some remain). A few fled to Egypt. The remaining communities these days have close ties with the Lithuanians over the border. As for the Slavs in Dacia, I think the Russians deported most of them, and the rest fled to Bulgaria. There are probably only a handful still in Dacia.

Reactions:
Anders and Elias, a rivalry about to happen? Who knows, whatever the case, it's quite surprising to see Anders up and about again. Perhaps his Spooky Anders reputation never truly died out. Gonna be interesting to see how this develops.