The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I do have something in the works for Mars. Maybe the belt/outer system colonies as well depending on where Mars goes. But I can say the Kaiser isn't going to be the sole ruler of Earth's space civilization, Annionaverse style.

Probably not going to reference that movie, but in any case I don't plan on bombing natives or doing any purging. It's not in the Reich's nature to do that.
Interesting to say the least

The Manifesto

Uploaded April 18, 2016, at 4:43 PM (Mexico time)

The video began with a Neurhomanian man wearing a feathered headdress inspecting the camera, seeing if it was recording. He made a thumbs-up to people behind the camera and then stepped back, revealing a Roman in an orange jumpsuit on his knees. In the background was a deserted street with signs in Fusang Chinese, recognizable as the central square of Zhumasi, Fusang’s largest southern city.

“You may know me as Werner Hainisch,” the headdressed man said, “But I have repudiated the name of the foreign conquerors. I was born as Xocoyol Itzcoatl in northern Neurhomania, a land where the faithful are persecuted even today by godless heathens. Godless heathens like this missionary here.”

Hainisch took out a jagged obsidian dagger and brandished it at the camera, while the missionary murmured nervously through his gag.

“Today, we temporarily satiate Huitzilopochtli’s thirst,” Hainisch said, “I dedicate this sacrifice in the name of the gods, so that they may gain the strength to continue the fight against evil. I ask them to aid us in the liberation of Cemanahuac from the infidels of the sunrise and sunset lands.”

He plunged the dagger into the missionary's chest and carved a bloody hole. The missionary struggled and screamed, but he was held in place by the chains and could do nothing as Hainisch tore his heart out and showed it to the camera.

“This is only the first of many sacrifices,” Hainisch said, “It was Huitzilopochtli’s grace which helped us take this great city of Zhumasi and deliver its many unbelievers into our hands. Next, we shall march on Tenochtitlan and Jinshan, and all will fall before us. We are on the right side of history. The gods are waking. We are their hand, and Zolin is their sword!”

Hofstadter Junior High School, Megarhevma - April 19, 2016, 12:30 PM (Imperial Standard Time)

Alex and the other students gasped and looked away in horror while Josh smirked.

“Brutal, huh?” he bragged. “There’s plenty more where that came from. Those Mexicans sure are crazy.”

“You shouldn’t be watching that!” a girl said.

“Why not?” Josh said. “It shows I’m not a coward. If anything, I’m more mature for it.”

He looked around the crowd, taking in the scared and horrified faces around him.

“What are you, cowards?” he said. “You all wanted to watch it a minute ago.”

“We weren’t expecting a frakking human sacrifice you dipscheiße!” another boy said.

“HEY!” A teacher stormed over and locked eyes with the boy. “Language!”

“But—” the boy said, pointing at Josh. “But he showed a—”

“Language!” the teacher repeated. “Or do you want detention?”

Josh covered his mouth and looked away, trying to hold back his laughter. The boy looked down and sighed.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

“Apologize to him,” the teacher said.

The boy reluctantly looked at Josh and mumbled an apology. Josh’s grin grew larger.

“Eye contact,” the teacher said, “And audible too.”

The boy made eye contact with Josh. “I’m sorry.”

Josh clapped his hands and began laughing uncontrollably, slapping the tabletop.

“Thank you,” he said, “Coward.”

He walked off, still laughing. The crowd dispersed, the students going back to their lunches and other activities. Alex walked into a hallway, trying to purge those images from his head. Manfred caught up to him.

“You okay?” he said.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine,” Alex said, “I shouldn’t have watched that.”

“I agree,” Manfred said.

“He’s right, you know,” Alex said, “I’m a coward.”

“I don’t think you are,” Manfred said.

“How would you know?” Alex said.

“It’s not weakness to not watch that video,” Manfred said, “He just wants to trigger people. He wanted us to be horrified. He loves that. If anything, he’s the coward.”

“It doesn’t feel that way,” Alex said.

“Alright, then,” Manfred said, “If you’re a coward, I’m a coward too. We’ll all be cowards. Nothing wrong with that.”

IU Pressburg

“Our world is in chaos,” Gertrude said, “The party cartel has dragged us into war after war after November 9. Its reaction to the recession of 2008 was to pay lip service to fixing it, because they benefit from it. We’ve all suffered while they profited off it. All while our world burns, not only as our air and water is filled with pollution and filth. Terrorists rampage in the New World, threatening our way of life. Don’t think you’re safe because you have an ocean in front of you.”

She paused for a moment.

“As you may know, a Roman citizen was brutally murdered yesterday, at the hands of those savage barbarians,” she said, “They held him down and cut out his heart, while everything was filmed on camera and uploaded to the Internet. A dreadful video. This is what we’re up against. This barbarity that the party cartel has unleashed upon the world. Those barbarians want nothing more than to destroy our way of life and impose a tyrannical fundamentalist dictatorship on us. They’re already doing it to Mexico and Fusang. They just took the great city of Zhumasi, in the Fusang heartland. Millions of freedom-loving Fusangren are being offered up as sacrifices or forced into slavery as we speak. We have nothing against the faith, but these barbarians have taken it to the extreme. All while the party cartel plays down and ignores this threat. Those sitting before me, I ask of you, what do you say to them?”

“ENOUGH!” the audience cried out.

“Yes, we must send them a message!” Gertrude said. “Tell them we will not tolerate their incompetence and indolence any longer! We must tell them, no more! No more ignorance! No more of the status quo which has failed us! We want real change! For the sake of our children and the planet they will grow up on, we need change now!”

The audience let out another roar of applause. Gertrude waved and walked backstage, where Elias embraced her.

“A stellar performance, as always,” Elias said.

“Anything for the cause,” Gertrude said, “How was the diagnosis?”

Elias gestured to his eyepatch. “Negative. They’re keeping a close...eye on it.”

Gertrude laughed. Elias paced around the room.

“If only they did the same for Ellie…” he said.

“Elias, dear, that was fifteen years ago,” Gertrude said, “What’s done is done. Focus on the task at hand. You’re close to closing the Argus deal.”

Elias sighed. “You’re right, you’re right. That was the past. We have a future to shape.”

Gertrude walked back and peered through the curtains, watching the audience file out.

“You think they agree with me?” Gertrude said.

“They were really enthusiastic, dear,” Elias said, “This isn’t Tel Aviv.”

“Well, we still have to go there,” Gertrude said.

They walked out the door and headed outside. Immediately, they noticed the crowd of people waiting outside, behind a line of police officers struggling to hold them and their signs back. Their cries filled the air.

“Say no to hate!”

“Remember the Golden Rule!”

“Romanitas, not Angelos!”

“No fascists in our Reich!”

Gertrude shook her head in frustration.

“Not again…” she said.

“Guess I spoke too soon,” Elias said, “These rabble-rousers never learn, do they?”

“Let’s pay them no attention,” Gertrude said.

They bowed their heads and continued walking straight ahead, where a car waited. The crowds surged forward, narrowing their path. Their shouts became more inquisitive and combative.

“You should be ashamed of yourself!”

“Don’t turn on your fellow women like this!”

“This is not what Jesus would do!”

“You’re a traitor!”

“Why do you support homophobes and Mexicaphobes?”

“This is un-Roman!”

“What are you going to do next, abolish the Augustinian Code?”

“The party cartel really hates us, don’t they?” Gertrude said.

“Why else would they send all these naive kids to annoy us with clearly false claims?” Elias said.

They got in the car and drove off.

“Glad that’s over,” Elias said, “Any ideas on how we should respond?”

“Don’t give them any attention,” Gertrude said, “Let them exercise their Augustinian Code rights while we exercise ours. If anything, it’ll give us more attention and make themselves look silly.”

“Isn’t that just great?” Elias said. “Now I have to call Emilio before he jumps the gun again. We’re not bin Laden.”

Huaxtepec - May 21, 2016, 2:32 PM (Mexico time)

Gunfire crackled in the distance, accompanied by the occasional thump and boom from a mortar shell and the crumbling of stone. General Gebhard Remmele stood at a table near his armored car, scrutinizing a map of Huaxtepec and the surrounding area and occasionally looking down the hill at the real city. Several counters denoting coalition and enemy troops were stacked across the map, while notes in both Nahuatl and German had been scribbled around the margins. He shook his head again. The numbers didn’t add up. He had only about twenty thousand men on hand, mostly Ollin’s troops, and Zolin had fifty thousand ocelomeh in the city. Coalition forces were outnumbered over two to one. Air support was lacking. Most of the bombers were tied up in the Yucatan or at Zhumasi. How did Fusang collapse that quickly? The ocelomeh had already begun marching up the coast to Jinshan, and the government had relocated to Hongzhou. The western campaign was a mess. His orders were to make sure the central Mexico campaign didn’t as well. He had a lot on his hands. He was the youngest Roman officer to have reached the rank of general, and he had been made supreme commander of all coalition forces in Mexico over many more experienced generals. Why did they choose him? Why was he here? The people back home counted on him to defend their nation and avenge November 9, but honestly, he now had no idea what he was doing.

Another car pulled up to the table, and General Huicton Ollin got out, flanked by two bodyguards. He was a clean-shaven man with graying hair, which was in contrast to the younger Gebhard’s mustache and black hair. The older Mexican general was also sturdier and with more chiseled features on his face as befitting of a long serving commander. Ollin walked over to the table and then looked at the city.

“So, General…” Ollin said. “Any ideas?”

“Don’t waste your time,” Gebhard said, “Zolin’s not here.”

“I know that,” Ollin said, “We still haven’t broken the encryption on his last video.”

“Tesla Dynamic’s working on it,” Gebhard said, “He can only hide from us for so long. Even Nochtli was found out eventually.”

Ollin didn’t answer. He planted both his hands on the table and looked down on the map, shaking his head in disappointment.

“Why are we even doing this?” he muttered. “Why are we even here? Why is it always my country and my people that get screwed over every single time?”

“Look, our Kaiser already gave an apology for the Sunrise Invasion, after your own apology for the Sunset Invasion,” Gebhard said, “We’re doing everything we can to help break the cycle.”

“No, not that,” Ollin said, “How did we even get here? What led to this moment? What caused all this suffering to happen?”

“The fall of PARA,” Gebhard said, “And the Reich not intervening until the Paulluists were well established.”

“It goes back further, you know,” Ollin said, “The instant the Vikings set foot in Cemanahuac, our two worlds were doomed to collide. The instant my ancestors captured them and forced them to share their technology, we started the cycle of death and destruction. The old Triple Alliance expanded by bloodshed, and there was only one way it could ever end, by bloodshed. After centuries of war, we’ve known no other way. We want to break the cycle, but we don’t know what to do.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself,” Gebhard said, “Mexico’s contributed so much to the world.”

“Yeah, in the way of chocolate and corn,” Ollin said, his voice scornful, “While China invented guns and the Reich invented the Augustinian Code. What did we have? Macuahuitls and a bloodthirsty huetlatoani who ruled with an iron fist. We had to steal guns from the Tawantinsuyuans and horses from you. And now, in what might be poetic justice, we have to rely on the Reich to keep our own countrymen in line. And to think eight centuries ago we were rampaging through Europe. Look how far we’ve fallen since then.”

“It’s only temporary,” Gebhard said, “Until you can stand on your own.”

“Keep telling yourself that,” Ollin said, “You’ve been here fifteen years and absolutely nothing has changed. The terrorists are still here, the government is still corrupt, and the people still die in the streets. That’s the legacy our ancestors and those Vikings left us. Death and suffering. Sometimes, I wonder what we would’ve become if we never found those Vikings.”

He looked up again, a new fire in his eyes.

“Let’s get those terrorists,” he said, “I want them to pay for what they’re doing to my country.”

Gebhard did a double-take at his colleague’s sudden change in temper.

“What?” he said.

“I don’t know if it’ll help,” Ollin said, “But it’s better than nothing. Zolin must be put down. I’m going to end him myself, for our people’s future.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
Another quality post from though are you going to make the zealots like the Soviets in-game?
These people aren't really zealots, just part of a religious-leaning political faction outside of the mainstream. I don't think it's possible to make them like the Soviets since they don't have an army or even a country. And in-game they're only represented by a political party which has far under 10% support.

These people aren't really zealots, just part of a religious-leaning political faction outside of the mainstream. I don't think it's possible to make them like the Soviets since they don't have an army or even a country. And in-game they're only represented by a political party which has far under 10% support.
I get the feeling he was talking more about the MSC than the CB/Forum, especially since the MSC is represented as a country with its own military gameplay wise. I'm personally wondering if you gave the MSC any buffs like you did with the Soviets during WW3 or if their success is completely natural in terms of gameplay, because they do seem to be more successful than normal.

Story wise, I can see Zolin being a Valentin type villain if he ever shows up as a major antagonist in these story arc, he did give that impression during the last gameplay chapter IMO, albeit probably even more charismatic and fanatical. Not that I would mind, Valentin was an entertaining villain and I'd be intrigued in Zolin as an main antagonist.

Anyways, I see the war against the MSC is going badly, I never would've thought they'd take a major city like Zhumasi from Fusang and be on the verge of taking the Fusang's capital and Tenochtitlan. Looks like Gebhard and Ocuil have their work cut out for them if they want to defeat Zolin.:eek:

I do like the segment at the end with Gebhard and Ocuil at the end, particularly their struggle to end the centuries of tensions and bloodshed between the Reich and Mexico. they seem like interesting characters and I would like see more of their perspective in the Eimerican focused part of this story arc. I see this is going to be quite the large arc with how many arcs and characters we've been introduced to, with more likely on the way. I like that. After two years of the X-Divisions story, its time other people got their time in the spotlight, X-Division deserves their rest.

I get the feeling he was talking more about the MSC than the CB/Forum, especially the MSC is represented as its country with its military. I'm personally wondering if you gave the MSC any buffs like you did with the Soviets during WW3 or if their success is completely natural in terms of gameplay, because they do seem to be more successful than normal.
Oh, I get it now. I was a little confused since there are two religion-focused factions I'm covering right now and it's very easy to call the Anhorns zealots (as a few people will in upcoming updates). I don't think I gave MSC any buffs aside from using the console to spawn its armies, but I did nerf its neighbors by deleting a lot of their armies and using the console to give MSC ownership of any province it occupies. On the contrary, I revert ownership back to the original owner if they or someone else occupies it. The result is they can expand rapidly but also fall apart just as quickly, similar to ISIS/Daesh in real life.
Story wise, I can see Zolin being a Valentin type villain if he ever shows up as a major antagonist in these story arc, he did give that impression during the last gameplay chapter IMO, albeit probably even more charismatic and fanatical. Not that I would mind, Valentin was an entertaining villain and I'd be intrigued in Zolin as an main antagonist.
Zolin was more of a gameplay chapter antagonist than a story arc one. This was one of the places where I had significant writer's block so I didn't write too much for Zolin other than an interaction with Ollin. He's more in the background to develop some characters who are soldiers or generals.
Anyways, I see the war against the MSC is going badly, I never would've thought they'd take a major city like Zhumasi from Fusang and be on the verge of taking the Fusang's capital and Tenochtitlan. Looks like Gebhard and Ocuil have their work cut out for them if they want to defeat Zolin.:eek:
It'll be a pretty difficult fight for them, and MSC is only getting started.
I do like the segment at the end with Gebhard and Ocuil at the end, they seem like interesting characters and I would like see more of their perspective in the Eimerican focused part of this story arc. I see this is going to be quite the large arc with how many arcs and characters we've been introduced to, with more likely on the way. I like that. After two years of the X-Divisions story, its time other people got their time in the spotlight, X-Division deserves their rest.
I liked writing Ollin's dialogue here where he thinks about the relationship between their two countries. I expanded on it a little in one of Oskar's lectures, where he talks about Mexicanist extremism and its origins. I'm going to be introducing another general character soon, and I like what I wrote for him.

I just want to say, though, the large cast I came up with for this long arc was itself a big problem with writing, since I inevitably had to drop a few to supporting character level so I could focus on the rest, like the Anhorns and Alex. A few characters might disappear after the spotlight moves elsewhere so I could shift the focus to others or introduce new characters for that time. So far, Anders and Diana have the most screen time of the original X-Division, but that is mostly because of their jobs and being Alex's parents.

I'll have some other Eimerican-focused characters or at least a few updates talking about the Eimericas. The overall arc itself is definitely going to be a long one (I just started work on the first 2030 update), which means it'll shift tone and focus occasionally. It doesn't have as clear of an end goal as the previous arcs.

Reactions:
Ollin, I'll try to be optimistic for your sake.

Zhumasi falling? Damn that really does not bode well for the Coalition. And Zollin really is shaping up to be a far competent villain for this arc. No doubt his presence is casting a large shadow over the New World rapidly. Also I quite like the idea that Mexico and the Reich are taking steps to break the cycle of violence to be honest. Ollin may dismiss it but chocolate and corn are quite significant contributions, maybe not as much as the Augustinian Code or Gunpowder but it's still very world changing.

By the way, I think my plans for the Monsterverse is about to be significant here since one of the movies is about Rodan and his quasi connection to Quetzelcoatl plus a half Nahuatl soldier protagonist. Can't wait to post it here eventually.

Ollin, I'll try to be optimistic for your sake.
Things may have to get worse in the Eimericas if they have any chance of getting better...
Zhumasi falling? Damn that really does not bode well for the Coalition. And Zollin really is shaping up to be a far competent villain for this arc. No doubt his presence is casting a large shadow over the New World rapidly. Also I quite like the idea that Mexico and the Reich are taking steps to break the cycle of violence to be honest. Ollin may dismiss it but chocolate and corn are quite significant contributions, maybe not as much as the Augustinian Code or Gunpowder but it's still very world changing.
Mexico is taking steps to move on from its bloody past and work together with the Reich to build a better future. Zolin is the embodiment of that past of human sacrifices and conquest, and he must be overcome before Mexico can heal and move forward.
By the way, I think my plans for the Monsterverse is about to be significant here since one of the movies is about Rodan and his quasi connection to Quetzelcoatl plus a half Nahuatl soldier protagonist. Can't wait to post it here eventually.
Oh, that sounds really cool. Looking forward to it.

Study Session 1

Hofstadter Junior High School - April 20, 2016

Alex looked at Manfred and then at Josh. All three of them awkwardly sat with their desks pointed at each other, their copies of The Origins of Modernity by Reinhard Markos open.

“So…” Alex said. “Who wants to start?”

Josh shrugged. “You guys can go.”

“You sure?” Alex said.

“I really don’t care,” Josh said, “I’ve done enough to pass this class anyways.”

“Yeah, I feel the same way,” Manfred said, “But I guess I'll start, then. Let’s see…first question on this study guide is…how did the early Reich establish reliable communication between its provinces?”

“Uh, it was a land based country,” Alex said, “So like the First and Second Empires, it built an extensive road network to link together the provinces.”

“And what purpose did this road network fulfill?” Manfred said.

“Faster communication to link communities, which facilitated inter-European trade,” Alex said.

“It also allowed the legions to deploy faster did they?” Josh said.

“Yes, but in some areas they relied on local militias instead,” Manfred said.

“I see,” Josh said, “What about the old feudal levies?”

“Although Friedrich the Great relied a lot on local nobility to help govern the large country, particularly on the noble houses Salian, Habsburg, and Sigmaringen, he revoked many of their privileges and centralized power on the throne, and his grandson Friedrich the Glorious continued that,” Alex said, “One such centralization was the creation of a standing army loyal to the throne and a network of local militias and regional holy orders tied to them.”

“And what about the navy in this time period?” Manfred said.

“Before the Sunset Invasion, the Reich believed the Atlantic to be a natural barrier too large for anything on the other side to cross,” Josh said, “More focus was placed on the army.”

“Don’t forget the Mediterranean and North Sea fleets which were established to protect trade routes against Arab and Norse pirates,” Alex said.

“Right,” Josh said.

"Didn't people back then believe the earth was flat?" Manfred said.

"No, that's a misconception," Josh said, "They've known the earth was round since classical antiquity."

“For someone who doesn’t care, you seem to know your stuff,” Manfred said.

“I mean, I still read the textbook,” Josh said, “I need a good grade.”

“Weird,” Alex said, “It’s almost like you’re a completely different person.”

“I’m only here because Oskar assigned us to this group,” Josh said.

“Well, I hope it continues,” Manfred said.

“Just why?” Josh said. “I thought you guys hate me. Especially after yesterday.”

“Look, Josh, I don’t want to hate you,” Alex said, “I don’t want to hate anyone.”

“I’m surprised,” Josh said.

“I’m sure Manfred agrees with me,” Alex said.

Manfred didn’t say anything.

“Well?” Alex said.

“Don’t put me on the spot, Alex,” Manfred said.

“Anyways...I’ve got a fun question for you guys,” Alex said.

“What is it?” Josh said.

“So see Paul Nguyen over there?” Alex said. “I talked with him yesterday. So, is his family more Roman than Herr Oskar’s?”

“Why would he be?” Josh said. “Of course Oskar’s is more Roman.”

"Yeah," Manfred said.

“Paul’s faimly arrived in the Reich from Vietnam in 1867,” Alex said, “Oskar’s family came here from Scandinavia in 1915.”

“Didn’t know that,” Josh said.

“One thing to remember, boys, is that you can’t really determine Roman-ness solely on how long your family’s been here,” Oskar said, walking over.

“What do you mean?” Manfred said.

“Being Roman can’t be determined by any one quality,” Oskar said, “Reducing it to how long your family lived in the Reich opens up a can of worms that leads to drawing lines between us, dividing us into insiders and outsiders. We must take care to avoid that. We are all Romans in this country, regardless of where we come from, because we all believe in Romanitas, in the idea that we can all participate equally and fairly in society so that we all prosper. That’s one of the principles this nation was founded on. Still, discussion like this is a good start, so keep it up!”

He walked away.

“To be honest, I don’t really see the point in this stuff,” Josh said.

“What do you mean?” Alex said. “You did study it, didn’t you?”

“Yeah, but I don’t believe it,” Josh said, “It’s much simpler to conclude that the Reich was founded because Friedrich the Great had the larger army and crushed his opponents.”

“We’re not denying that,” Manfred said, “Of course he built the larger army. But we’re trying to learn how he held onto his empire after he conquered it.”

“Simple, more force,” Josh said, “Anybody dissents, he silences them. That’s how all medieval monarchs kept their power, didn’t they? Might makes right.”

“Nobody uses their army to solve every single issue though,” Alex said, “Can the army build a good tax plan? Can the army keep the people fed and happy?”

“Of course the army can do all that,” Josh said, “It takes the taxes by force. It suppresses dissent, so everyone is happy. Simple.”

“Rule by fear wouldn’t make for a happy populace though,” Alex said, “And it runs contrary to the ideals of Friedrich the Great. The whole point was he united the Reich by rallying people around him, and in working together they achieved and overcame anything.”

“Those ideals were made up at a later time,” Josh said, “They were invented by later Kaisers to justify Friedrich the Great’s conquests and to give themselves a pat on the back. Just like the whole idea of the Dark Ages is to make the Catholic Church look bad and to give the Renaissance thinkers a pat on the back for returning to the glories of the First Empire. And who can blame them? History is written by the winners after all.”

“I don’t like that phrase,” Alex said, “History is written by survivors. People who live through the events and pass down their experiences to future generations.”

“Yeah, but who are the survivors usually?” Josh said. “The winners. We don’t have any accounts of the Carthaginians except from the Roman Republic.”

“But we do have a lot of accounts of life in the Soviet Commune from people who lived there, not just from our parents’ own accounts,” Alex said.

“History has consigned the Soviets to the axis of evil and dustbin of history, rightfully so, despite what some Russians may believe,” Josh said.

“Anyways, back to the subject at hand,” Manfred said, “The early Reich.”

“So what if Friedrich the Great built roads and had a good tax plan?” Josh said. “The most important thing was he broke the power of the nobility and built an army loyal to him. You’re all fools to think it’s because of some politically correct propaganda about social justice. The medieval period was a kill or be killed world which didn’t even know what social justice is. We made up that term and decided to make ourselves look better by having Friedrich the Great be some anachronistic social justice crusader when in reality he was just another brutal warlord who happened to win and rewrite history to his liking. He’s called Friedrich the Great for a reason.”

“I suppose there’s no convincing you,” Alex said.

“Looks like the nerd for once knows his place,” Josh said.

“Oh for crying out loud…” Alex said.

“Here we go again…” Manfred said.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm posting this now since tomorrow morning I might be a little busy.

Seems there's more to Josh than what we, the audience and Alex seem to realize. I like it, really fleshes out the whole narrative. Also regarding the school arc, I take it you're going to eventually have them discuss about Megas Droungarios Augustin Komnenos' Sunrise Invasion plans then? I always pictured that guy as a sort-of modern (by his day anyway) version of Cato the Elder, especially since both were politicans and both of them wanted the respective enemies of Rome (Carthage and the Triple Alliance) utterly defeated. It'd be interesting if all documents and speeches he made, espeically when he served as Regent for Victoria always ended with the words 'Mexica delenda est.'

Also I'd like to see them discuss the earlier Emperors from the First Empire too, would be interesting to see how these lads seem to think of figures like Emperor Aurelian or Diocletian, hell even Marcus Aurelius.

Alright, take your time, but what will cyberpunk 2077 look like?
I haven’t played that game, so I’m not really sure what it would be like here. And after working on the secret cultural update, I think I’m going to call it there...at least until my next burst of inspiration.:p
Seems there's more to Josh than what we, the audience and Alex seem to realize. I like it, really fleshes out the whole narrative. Also regarding the school arc, I take it you're going to eventually have them discuss about Megas Droungarios Augustin Komnenos' Sunrise Invasion plans then? I always pictured that guy as a sort-of modern (by his day anyway) version of Cato the Elder, especially since both were politicans and both of them wanted the respective enemies of Rome (Carthage and the Triple Alliance) utterly defeated. It'd be interesting if all documents and speeches he made, espeically when he served as Regent for Victoria always ended with the words 'Mexica delenda est.'

Also I'd like to see them discuss the earlier Emperors from the First Empire too, would be interesting to see how these lads seem to think of figures like Emperor Aurelian or Diocletian, hell even Marcus Aurelius.
There’s definitely more to Josh than Alex thinks right now. I liked writing his character arc over the next few years. Originally he was just supposed to be around until Alex graduates from high school, but I liked him so much I continued his arc into adulthood. His development takes many unexpected turns.

I admittedly forgot about Augustin Komnenos, but I did talk about Sunrise Invasion a couple times, so I might add him into those discussions. I never saw him as a modern Cato, but now that you bring it up I do see the resemblance. Maybe that’s what I’ll talk about when I add him in.

Maybe I’ll talk about Augustus and Julius Caesar, or I’ll talk about Odoacer and Romulus Augustulus. The Walters already talked about Marcus Aurelius, so I might go with other emperors. Perhaps some Byzantine ones as well since Justinian’s legal reforms laid the groundwork for the Augustinian Code.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree with TWR here, I’m pleasantly surprised by Josh here. I kinda thought he’d be a stereotypical jock bully from what we saw of him from Alex’s previous two chapters, so it’s a nice subversion to see him be something of an intellectual or at least interested in history, even if I disagree with his history is written by the victors perspective towards the end.
I admittedly forgot about Augustin Komnenos, but I did talk about Sunrise Invasion a couple times, so I might add him into those discussions. I never saw him as a modern Cato, but now that you bring it up I do see the resemblance. Maybe that’s what I’ll talk about when I add him in.
Would that make the generals Niketas Dalassenos or Florentina Gregorios modern versions of the Scipios then? I think that complements the Cato/Augustin comparison quite well. Plus I can see Acacitli Huemac, the main Mexican general during Sunrise Invasion, being at first demonized by the Romans and then getting rehabilitated centuries later as a good man caught on the wrong side of a war, kinda like what happened to Hassan and Ocuil Actal and their historical reputations. Maybe one of the two Roman generals I mentioned would happen to be descendants of Bethune, if only so it would fit with the hypothetical Sunset/Sunrise Invasion film trilogy discussed before on this thread.

Speaking of Komnenoi, I think you mentioned a hybird Doukas/Komnenoi/Palaiologoi family in late EU4/Vicky 2 founded by one of Prince Nikephours' generals. I'm wondering what happened to that house and if its still around? Regardless, I imagine those three dynatoi would have some significant ties to each other, especially since they're all old Byzantine nobility.

As for other generals, I wonder if you’ll talk about Julie d'Aubigny, the opera singer turned general and one of Wilhelm's human vessels from EU4, anytime soon in either this school arc or a flashback arc from Wilhelm's perspective? Either way, you could make some comparisons to Saint Gunhilda since they are both women who rose up the social ladder due to military talent, I think that would be cool.
Maybe I’ll talk about Augustus and Julius Caesar, or I’ll talk about Odoacer and Romulus Augustulus. The Walters already talked about Marcus Aurelius, so I might go with other emperors. Perhaps some Byzantine ones as well since Justinian’s legal reforms laid the groundwork for the Augustinian Code.
You could have some comparisons between the first three empires and the early Reich in these study sessions and lectures, particularly disscussions about what lessons the early Kaisers learned from the previous empires when building the Reich. I think that would be a neat topic that Oskar’s class could discuss when talking about how and why the Reich survived and adapted where other empires would fall in similar circumstances, especially empires similar to the Reich like its predecessors.

By the way, do you have discussions like these planned for Alex’s college years, or are these history class updates limited to Alex’s High School years? I really like them so far, but I understand if you run out of content eventually, it’s still great we have them at all.:)

Also nice EU4 reference with the Origins of Modernity textbook there, I really liked those lore updates so I'm glad they're represented again in universe.

Last edited:
I agree with TWR here, I’m pleasantly surprised by Josh here. I kinda thought he’d be a stereotypical jock bully from what we saw of him from Alex’s previous two chapters, so it’s a nice subversion to see him be something of an intellectual or at least interested in history, even if I disagree with his history is written by the victors perspective towards the end.
Originally, he was just supposed to be a stereotypical jock and fade away as part of Alex’s growth. But when rewriting this part, I decided to give him more depth, and him being smarter than he lets on was part of that. In a way, his outlook on history influences how he acts towards Alex.
Would that make the generals Niketas Dalassenos or Florentina Gregorios modern versions of the Scipios then? I think that complements the Cato/Augustin comparison quite well. Plus I can see Acacitli Huemac, the main Mexican general during Sunrise Invasion, being at first demonized by the Romans and then getting rehabilitated centuries later as a good man caught on the wrong side of a war, kinda like what happened to Hassan and Ocuil Actal and their historical reputations. Maybe one of the two Roman generals I mentioned would happen to be descendants of Bethune, if only so it would fit with the hypothetical Sunset/Sunrise Invasion film trilogy discussed before on this thread.
That sounds great, but I might not focus that much on generals in future school arc updates. Depending on where they go, I might put in a reference.
Speaking of Komnenoi, I think you mentioned a hybird Doukas/Komnenoi/Palaiologoi family in late EU4/Vicky 2 founded by one of Prince Nikephours' generals. I'm wondering what happened to that house and if its still around? Regardless, I imagine those three dynatoi would have some significant ties to each other, especially since they're all old Byzantine nobility.
Not sure, but probably. The old Byzantine nobility do have close ties to each other though.
As for other generals, I wonder if you’ll talk about Julie d'Aubigny, the opera singer turned general and one of Wilhelm's human vessels from EU4, anytime soon in either this school arc or a flashback arc from Wilhelm's perspective? Either way, you could make some comparisons to Saint Gunhilda since they are both women who rose up the social ladder due to military talent, I think that would be cool.
Not sure if I’ll go back to Wilhelm for a flashback anytime soon, but I will consider it if I do write one.
You could have some comparisons between the first three empires and the early Reich in these study sessions and lectures, particularly disscussions about what lessons the early Kaisers learned from the previous empires when building the Reich. I think that would be a neat topic that Oskar’s class could discuss when talking about how and why the Reich survived and adapted where other empires would fall in similar circumstances, especially empires similar to the Reich like its predecessors
That would be a good comparison.
By the way, do you have discussions like these planned for Alex’s college years, or are these history class updates limited to Alex’s High School years? I really like them so far, but I understand if you run out of content eventually, it’s still great we have them at all.:)
There are a couple in the college years, but maybe only one is done in this style while the others focus more on the teachers themselves.
Also nice EU4 reference with the Origins of Modernity textbook there, I really liked those lore updates so I'm glad they're represented again in universe.
And thanks for reminding me about them.

While I agree with Alex and Manfred, Josh sounds like he's played CK2. :p

The Prince and the Chancellor

Inaugural Ball at the Imperial Palace, Nanjing - May 20, 2016

The live band played classical Chinese music in the reception hall. The high profile guests, all wearing a mix of various attire from all over Asia, regular Roman suits, and traditional garb, mingled among each other, chatting eagerly and sharing insider information. Prince Georg, the Kaiser’s second son and youngest child, fixed his tie and sipped from his glass of mijiu, or Chinese rice wine. Sitting with him was a Chinese woman in her early sixties. Tonight’s festivities were for her. China’s first female chancellor looked bored out of her mind though and slowly kept eating her food.

“So, Chancellor Tsai,” Georg said, “What do you think about my offer?”

“Your Highness, it sounds great,” Tsai Ing-Wen said, “But honestly, I was just sworn in a few hours ago. You are aware of that right?”

“I know, you have a lot on your plate,” Georg said.

“I appreciate the help, Georg...can I call you that?” Tsai said.

“Sure,” Georg said, “I’m not as stiff as my brother.”

“Good thing you’re the one who showed up here and not him,” Tsai said.

“Look, I’m not asking for much,” Georg said, “My work in the Eimericas is in danger. There’s only so much I can do on my own. There’s only so much Merkel can help. And I would rather not ask my father for obvious reasons. China has more clout in North Eimerica than the Reich. You have close ties with Fusang. We could sure use your assistance in delivering supplies. It would look good for your administration and boost ties with Fusang. Thordarsson would also like another ally.”

Tsai thought for a little bit.

“I’ll think about it,” she said, “But I can’t promise anything right now. It would also look bad if the narrative started portraying me as giving favors to foreigners, even if they are Romans.”

“I understand,” Georg said, “Funny how that works. Just a generation ago, our countries were mortal enemies locked in stalemate. We grew up in those times. And now...”

“We’re friends now?” Tsai said. “You could put it that way. I have no desire to return to the old order I once knew. The history of China is one of change.”

“Never thought of it that way,” Georg said, “The old emperors thought themselves the centers of the world, and thus they had no desire to go out and see the rest of the world. At least from what I was taught.”

“But the Han made contact with the early Romans,” Tsai said, “The Middle Kingdom isn’t as isolationist as you would expect.”

“Really?” Georg said.

“Yes,” Tsai said, “There is precedence for China to reach out to the rest of the world, even before the Mongols torn down the whole idea of inward perfection and scattered the Song and Jin to the edges of the Pacific, even before the Ming sent out the treasure fleets, even before the Tran allied with the Ming and set up the multi-emperor system. The emperors may have thought themselves the centers of the world, but they did realize the potential in the rest of the world. After the Mongols, they realized they would have to earn their place at the center of the world. Reaching out allowed them to forge alliances, conduct trade, learn new ideas, restore contact with the Song and Jin, defeat the Mongols, and ultimately reunite the empire. It is that order I want to return to, one where the Chinese people forge their own destiny, side by side with their new Roman friends. I really hope our two countries can stay friendly like this.”

“Me too,” Georg said.

“These times are rough,” Tsai said, “Who knows what the future might bring?”

“Hopefully nothing too bad,” Georg said.

“But don’t you see?” Tsai said. “Doesn’t it worry you? About your brother?”

“It does,” Georg said, “Every day, I worry about him. But there is little I can do. With my sister long dead and her daughter passed over in the succession, my brother is the clear heir. My father already did the investiture ceremony. He has a son of his own, so the succession is safe already. I’m just the spare. I’m a good man. I can’t just remove him from the succession. What would everyone say? Now suddenly I’m the bad guy. And he’s still my brother. I don’t want to come to blows with him. He’s family.”

“What about your father then?” Tsai said. “Surely he can say something without overstepping.”

“My father does not wish to change that,” Georg said, “He loves both of us now more than ever after our sister’s death. He doesn’t want to tear apart the family over the throne, as many of our ancestors did. The civilian government thinks he has the strongest claim and most experience to succeed my father. People still think of Willie as that geeky college graduate. My father doesn’t wish to overturn their will.”

“Heyyyyyy!” Theodor Tesla interrupted.

The young executive pulled up a chair and sat next to them.

“Looks like you’re quite busy, Chancellor,” Theodor said.

“A little,” Tsai said.

“With this old fool?” Theodor said. “Wasting your time, ma’am.”

“Excuse me?” Georg said.

“Only speaking the truth, Your Highness,” Theodor said.

“What are you getting at?” Tsai said.

“This guy bothering you about needing help with his charity, because terrorists made the roads unsafe and won’t let him deliver food to the poor villagers?” Theodor said. “Really? The future belongs to those who can shape it. And who can shape the future? Those with the money to do so. No money? Too bad. Doesn’t matter if your dad’s the Kaiser himself or just a regular Johan, that’s how the world works. Aurum est potestas.”

“I didn’t take you for the humanitarian type,” Georg said.

“I don’t consider myself a humanitarian, because that implies that’s the only thing I ever do,” Theodor said, “I want to bring back Tesla Dynamic and make it live up to its reputation as a national champion after old Willy ran it into the ground. With the tools I have, I can not only deliver the food, but I can also pave the roads, provide sanitation and electricity, connect them to the Internet, educate the kids and send them to college, inoculate everyone against local diseases, AND eliminate all of the terrorists, easy. No need for a prince to go begging to foreign leaders for scraps.”

“Do you do this at every event, Theodor?” Georg said. “Because right now, you’re not doing a good job of fixing your company’s reputation.”

“Hey, you can’t police my speech,” Theodor said, “We live in a free country. Don’t go crying to your dad now!”

“I’m going to ask you to leave,” Tsai said.

Theodor sighed.

“Alright, fine, lady,” he said, “Don’t complain if I decide to take my business elsewhere.”

He got up and left.

“Sorry about that,” Georg said, “The Teslas are always eccentric fellows, it seems.”

“Don’t let him get to you,” Tsai said, “You’re not him.”

“I know,” Georg said, “Why is he even here?”

“Guess he bought his way in,” Tsai said.

“Does that make me any different from him then?” Georg said. “I got here like that.”

“At least you have a good heart, Georg,” Tsai said, “I can feel it. Look, I’ll see what I can do about helping you out, okay?”

“That would be great,” Georg said. “Let’s just try to enjoy the occasion.”

“Agreed,” Tsai said, “I need some time off before I start work tomorrow.”

• 1Like
Reactions: