The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unit 731, Part 1

Kulm, Red Ruthenia, Eastern Poland – November 24, 1995, 5:00 PM

A train blared its horn as it lumbered down the tracks, passing a number of waiting cars at a road intersection. A group of kids on rusty bicycles rode up to the barrier.

“Hurry up!” a girl said.

As they reached the intersection, the train barreled past, and they gasped in awe. These kids had grown up in the last days of the Occupied Territories and immediately afterwards. They knew little of the equalists who had once ruled the place, but they had grown up with the poverty and the economic collapse that followed the war. Many kids their age couldn’t afford to get bicycles. Trains were a symbol of prosperity and economic growth here, a way for the western provinces to show they still cared about their brothers in the east. From the boxcar at the back of the train, a man leaned out of the window and waved to them, tossing chocolate bars to the kids.

“Hi!” the kids said, eagerly picking up the chocolate.

As the train slowed down and approached a station, the man stepped back inside and walked to the front of the boxcar. After they stopped, he unhooked it and motioned to the conductor.

“All clear!” he said.

He got onto the next car, and the train continued on its journey, leaving the boxcar behind. Smoke leaked from its top, next to a satellite dish. A plaque reading “82594” was placed next to the window. As night fell, several blue cars drove up to the boxcar, and a number of Chinese men got out. A Chinese doctor stepped out of the boxcar and greeted the scientists in a mix of Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, and Vietnamese, saluting. The doctor walked to one car and drove off as the four other scientists entered the boxcar. Inside was a glass sliding door barrier cutting the car in half. Sitting on shelves were containers and other scientific equipment. The scientists put on medical garb and gas masks and began dissecting a dead alien, talking to each other in the same mix of Chinese and Vietnamese. One man went over to an IV unit, where a tube fed a green liquid into the alien’s arm. As a camera filmed them, the door burst open, and soldiers wearing gas masks ran in and fired on the doctors, killing them all. The soldiers forced their way into the impromptu operating room and packaged up the dead alien body.

X-Division, Constantinople – November 30, 1995, 10:00 AM

Angela walked into the office and found Anders sitting at his desk, feet on the table, as he watched a video.

“Hey Angie,” he said, “Come in.”

Angela walked in and closed the door.

“What are you watching?” she said.

“Something that just came in the mail,” Anders said.

Angela pointed at the screen. “That's not your usual brand of entertainment.”

Anders laughed.

“What is it?” Angela said.

“According to the magazine ad I answered, it's an alien autopsy,” Anders said, “Guaranteed authentic.”

Angela looked at the screen, seeing the autopsy being conducted in the boxcar.

“You spent money for this?” Angela said.

“Thirty marks, plus shipping,” Anders said.

“Anders, this is even hokier than the one they aired on RBC,” Angela said. “You can't even see what they're operating on!”

“But it, it does look authentic,” Anders said, “I mean, the setting and the procedures. I mean, it does look as if an actual autopsy is being performed, doesn't it?”

“Well, technically, I don't know why they would be wearing gas masks,” Angela said.

“You saw what happened to the body of ‘Annie’ a few months ago,” Anders said, “Not to mention the bounty hunter that almost killed me shortly afterwards. And that’s not even getting to Dr. Sigurd way back when. They’re extracting green substance from the body.”

“Olive oil?” Angela said. “Snake oil? I suppose you think it's alien blood.”

“It's widely held that aliens don't have blood, Angie,” Anders said sarcastically.

“I guess that begs the question, if this is an alien autopsy...” Angela said.

“Where's the alien?” Anders said. “But what, what's so intriguing to me is the striking lack of detail here.”

“Well, What do you want for thirty marks?” Angela said.

“No, that, that autopsy you saw on TV was so fake precisely because it tried to show too much,” Anders said, “And it was narrated by Jonathan Frakes, but let’s ignore that.”

“And this is real because it doesn't?” Angela said.

“Yes, and because, uh...” Anders said.

He fast-forwarded the tape to the point where the soldiers stormed in and killed the scientists.

“Because of that,” Anders said.

The footage turned to static.

“Who's selling these tapes?” Angela said.

“Some guy in Lelow,” Anders said, “Claims he pulled it off the satellite dish at two in the morning.”

“So we’re going to Poland again?” Angela said. “After what happened in Bialystok?”

“Hey, beats staying here chasing leads for another seven months,” Anders said, “Or spending entire weekends with Demetrios.”

Angela punched him in the arm.

Lelow, Lesser Poland – December 1, 1995, 9:00 AM

Angela pulled into the driveway of a house and got out with Anders. The street was relatively quiet, save for a dog barking. As Angela walked around to the door, Anders walked around back and up the back steps and noticed two stickers on the front steps reading "Rat Tail Productions" and "Leave Packages Here." He continued up the stairs and knocked on the ajar door, swinging it open. Angela walked back over to him.

“Front door's been boarded up,” Angela said.

“Back door's been busted open,” Anders said, drawing his gun, “Hope nobody left the rat out.”

Entering the house, Angela drew her gun as they walked through the kitchen. They split up, Angela inspecting a production lab and Anders checking a hallway. Angela walked into the bedroom and found the dead body of a man with a pillowcase tied around his head. His hands were tied.

“Anders,” Angela said.

Anders joined her in the room.

“He’s still warm,” Angela said, “The killer must be in the area.”

They heard a door slam, and Angela looked down the stairs to see a Chinese man run by. She quickly followed him out the back door to see him running away. She drew her weapon.

“Imperial agent!” she said.

The Chinese man, carrying a brown leather satchel, hopped the fence into the next yard as Angela ran after him. He tried hopping the next fence, but Angela grabbed him.

“You’re not going anywhere,” Angela said.

The Chinese man kicked the gun out of her hand and then kicked her once in the chest, knocking her back. However, she drew another gun from her ankle and fired off a warning shot.

“I got tired of having my gun stolen,” she said.

The man climbed down and raised his hands, faced with no alternative. Angela picked up her first gun and holstered it.

“Okay, now face the fence,” she said.

The man didn’t move.

“Face the fence!” she repeated.

The man continued awkwardly staring at her.

“What’s your name?” she said.

The man spoke Mandarin.

“You speak German?” Angela said.

The man continued speaking Mandarin.

“Well, this is just great,” Angela said, “Give me the bag.”

She pointed at the bag, but the man growled at her. She still took it from him.

“Alright, let’s go,” she said, leading him away.

Police Station – 10:00 AM

As police officers and clerks scuffled around and talked with each other, phones ringing and voices chattering all at once, Angela walks down the hallway over to Anders, who stood by a window looking into the interrogation room where the Chinese man sat.

“Either they can't locate an interpreter, or the interpreter they located didn't interpret the instructions and got lost somewhere,” Angela said, “I don't know which. This being the Occupied Territories, I wouldn’t be surprised if something happened to him.”

“Did you try the Krakow field office?” Anders said.

“Somehow, this is a tall request in Allentown this time of day,” Angela said.

“Well, look at this,” Anders said, “Looks like they did send someone.”

They turned and saw Erich walking towards them.

“Anders, Angie,” Erich said.

“This is a surprise, Dad,” Angela said.

“You don't, uh, speak Chinese by any chance, do you?” Anders said.

“Only a few words limited to yes, no, hi, goodbye, food, and some profanities,” Erich said, “Aside from some basic Thai I’m sure this guy doesn’t know. I wish I could, so it might save us all some embarrassment.”

“What do you mean?” Angela said.

“I'm up here with a lawyer trying to sort out a little international mess,” Erich said, “He said you made an arrest this morning.”

“A murder suspect, yeah,” Anders said.

“Yeah, I'm afraid you'll have to release him,” Erich said.

“What are you talking about?” Angela said.

“According to the Chinese Diplomatic Corps, the man you arrested is a high-ranking diplomat,” Erich said.

Angela pointed to the window. “This man, sitting in here?”

“That’s Cai Yingjing,” Erich said.

“Oh, I didn't get his name,” Angela said, “I was too busy getting my ass kicked. Is every Chinese diplomat a kung fu master or something? Or did Boris Li suddenly take up politics?”

“What about the murder victim or the paperwork?” Anders said.

“Schulz will handle it,” Erich said, “What are you two doing out here, anyway?”

Angela sighed and punched Anders in the arm.

“Tracking down a video piracy thing,” Anders said.

“I suggest you keep your nose clean and head back to Constantinople, before someone takes another swipe at it,” Erich said, walking past them.

They looked at Cai one more time and then left the station.

“I don't know, Anders, it just doesn't track,” Angela said, “What would a Chinese diplomat be doing in that house with a dead man with his head stuffed in a pillowcase?”

“Obviously not strengthening international relations,” Anders said.

“Well, what do you want to do now, drop it?” Angela said.

“No, I paid my thirty marks, Angie,” Anders said, “I think I'm entitled to a few more answers, don't you think?”

Anders opened the trunk of their car and dug through the contents.

“What are you doing?” Angela said.

“I just remembered a piece of evidence from the crime scene you forgot to turn in,” Anders said.

Angela reached in and grabbed the satchel before Anders could. Opening it, she took out a folder and looked at a picture of a ship near a coastline, clipped to a list of names. After reading the list, she handed it to Anders.

“They look like satellite photos,” Angela said, “What would he be doing with these? And what would he be doing with a list of GUFON members in the greater Lelow area with the name Brunhild Hagopian circled?”

“Maybe he was going to fit her for a pillowcase too,” Anders said, “Why don't you stick around, get a motel room and check it out in the morning?”

“What are you going to do?” Angela said.

“I’m going back to Constantinople like a good boy, like Uncle Erich told me to do, and show these to a few friends of ours,” Anders said.

Lone Gunman office, Constantinople – 5:00 PM

Reinhard looked at the picture under a high-powered magnifying glass as Rudolf and Ragnar watched behind him.

“The name of the boat is the Talapus,” Reinhard said, “Just got to love those Indian optics.”

“So you're saying that's from an Indian satellite?” Anders said.

“No, the optics are Indian,” Ragnar said, “The technology is probably ours, but the satellite is most likely Chinese.”

“Built in Vietnam and launched from Tawantinsuyu,” Rudolf said.

“Got to love that global economy, huh?” Anders said.

“Where'd you get this, Anders?” Reinhard said.

“Chinese diplomat Angie beat up,” Anders said, “Long story.”

“I'm surprised,” Rudolf said, “The Chinese are very secretive about their espionage capabilities, and extremely careful with their intelligence data. The fall of the junta didn’t change that.”

“What exactly are they spying on there?” Anders said.

“The Talapus was a salvage ship out of Lisbon,” Ragnar said, “They spent months looking for a Chinese sub that went down in the western Pacific in World War II. It was rumored to be carrying a load of gold bullion.”

“Did they find it?” Anders said.

“Not according to all the reports, but looking at this photo here, the ship never returned to Lisbon,” Ragnar said.

“Why do you say that?” Anders said.

Ragnar showed him another photo from the file.

“In the rest of these satellite photos, they track the ship through the Panama canal,” Ragnar said, “All the way to Greifswald, Western Pomerania.”

“The naval shipyard,” Anders said.

Ragnar nodded.

“But why would they go there?” Rudolf said.

Anders thought about it. “Well, maybe what they found wasn't a Chinese sub.”

Chinese embassy, Constantinople

Cai Yingjing walked out of the embassy building and over to a waiting limo. The driver opened the door for him.

“Good evening, Cai xiansheng,” the driver said.

Cai got in, and the driver closed the door. The doors suddenly locked, and Cai looked around to see a red-haired man pointed a silenced gun. One shot rang out, and he slumped over, dead.

Brunhild Hagopian’s house, Lelow - December 2, 1995, 9:00 AM

Angela drove up to Brunhild’s house and looked at her list. Getting out, she saw a GUFON sticker on the window. She knocked on the door, and a woman opened it.

“Hi, Brunhild Hagopian?” she said.

“No, I'm sorry, Brunhild's not here right now,” the woman said.

“Is there some way that I can get in touch with her?” Angela said.

The woman looked at her strangely. Angela dug through her pockets.

“I’m sorry, um, my name is Angela Hansen,” she said.

“I know you,” the woman said.

“No, I think you must be mistaken,” Angela said.

“We saw you,” the woman said, “Penny? Penny, come here.”

Another woman walked up beside her and looked at Angela, immediately recognizing her.

“I'm, I'm afraid I'm not who you think I am,” Angela said.

“Oh my God, Hannah,” Penny said, “She's one.”

Hannah nodded slightly.

“One what?” Angela said.

“One of us,” Hannah said.

Angela walked inside. Penny picked up a phone.

“There must be some kind of mistake, I, I work for the Athanatoi, and I'm here conducting a murder investigation,” Angela said.

“A murder?” Hannah said.

“Cathy?” Penny said. “I'm here at Brunhild's. Can you call the group and get everyone over here right away?”

She hung up and looked at Penny.

“A man named Steven Zinnzser was murdered about two miles from here,” Angela said.

“Penny, do you hear that?” Hannah said.

“Steve Zinnzser was murdered?” Penny said.

“Did you know him?” Angela said.

“He was a member of our chapter,” Hannah said.

“But you understand, I'm, I'm not a member, I'm an Athanatos,” Angela said.

“That’s what you said,” Hannah said, “We heard you clearly.”

“But at the door, you said that I was one of you,” Angela said.

Hannah and Penny looked at each other.

“Did you have an unexplained event in your life last year?” Hannah said. “Were you missing for a period of time that can't be accounted for?”

Angela stared at them. “Why did you ask me that?”

“I think you better sit down, Frau Hansen,” Penny said, “I think there are some people you're going to want to meet.”

Cars started arriving outside.

Office of the Admiralty, Greifswald, Western Pomerania – 9:30 AM

Anders walked with a Kaiserliche Marine officer down the hallway.

“The Talapus,” the officer repeated.

“It's a salvage ship registered in Lisbon,” Anders said, “According to the harbor master, you went out to meet the boat when customs wouldn't allow it into port.”

“Oh, yeah, that's right,” the officer said, “But it wasn't customs preventing her landing, it was the Drug Enforcement Bureau.”

“The DEB?” Anders said. “What was the problem?”

“They were searching for contraband if I remember correctly,” the officer said, “The boat came through the UPM. There was some concern that her crew might have picked up a shipment.”

“Did they find anything?” Anders said.

“We were never aboard,” the officer said, “I think there was a question of confiscating the boat if the crew were to be arrested.”

“Were they?” Anders said.

“Apparently not,” the officer, “We were called off and the, uh, boat put out to sea the following morning.”

Anders looked out the window. “Well, that doesn't make any sense.”

The officer stopped and looked at him. “Excuse me?”

“The Talapus came nonstop from the UPM,” Anders said, “She would have had to stop to refuel, wouldn't she?”

“I don't have all the details in my head,” the officer said, “I’m just an officer.”

“Would you do me a favor?” Anders said. “Would you see if there's any paperwork on this? See if there's a heading or a destination for the Talapus.”

“That might take some time,” the officer said.

“That's alright,” Anders said, “I'm happy to wait. Got plenty of time.”

The officer cleared his throat and walked away.

Brunhild’s house, Lelow

The room was filled with women now. Angela sat at the center.

“But I've never met any of you,” she said, “I, I've never seen any of you before in my life.”

Hannah walked in, carrying a cup of coffee, and sat down next to Penny on the couch.

“You may not remember,” Hannah said, “You've only had one experience.”

“Most of us here have been taken many times,” Penny said.

Angela looked around at the women. “Taken? Uh, taken where?”

“The bright white place,” Hannah said.

Angela stared at her. Suddenly, she briefly remembered lying in a bright white room. But the memory was fleeting. Another women, Paula, leaned forward in her chair.

“You remember it, don't you?” she said.

Angela closed her eyes. “I don’t know.”

“There are men performing tests,” Paula said.

Angela remembered a drill advancing towards her.

“What men?” she said.

“They don't reveal themselves,” Hannah said, “They take our memories away, but somehow, they start to seep back, like their attempts are crude and inefficient.”

“Some may have come back to you, but they didn't make sense,” Penny said.

Angela started crying, for some reason.

“Do you know about regression hypnosis?” Hannah said.

“I tried that a few months ago, but…” Angela said. “I'm sorry. I don't think I'm ready to discuss this.”

Paula stood up. “You're afraid to remember, aren't you? It's okay. We were all afraid at first.”

Office of the Admiralty / Imperial Naval Shipyard, Greifswald

The officer walked back to the hallway with a clipboard in his hand, but Anders was gone.

“Agent Humboldt?” he said.

Confused, he walked away, not noticing Anders walking outside along the loading docks, past foremen, forklifts, and service elevators. He walked over a bridge connecting the docks over large tankers and boats, both civilian and military. Stopping and looking down from his view, he saw the Talapus, a long white ship, moored a few docks away. He made his way to the ship and made his way into the cabin. Looking around, he checked the drawers and rifled through papers for anything important. Finding nothing, he searched the other cabins before heading down into the boiler room. At that moment, he heard cars approaching. Running to the nearest window, he saw various cars pull up, and armed SWAT team members and RSB agents stormed the ship, searching for him. Anders ran up a stairwell and immediately jumped into the water without anybody noticing.

Brunhild’s house

Angela continued listening to the GUFON members.

“I don't know, when I opened that door and saw you standing there?” Penny said. “It was like a revelation. The image of your face was so clear to me.”

“But why is it that I don't remember you?” Angela said.

“All you remember in the beginning is the light, and then sometimes the faces of the men who perform the tests,” Penny said.

“How do you know that you're not mistaking me for somebody else?” Angela said.

“You have the mark, don't you?” Paula said.

“What mark?” Angela said.

“Here,” Paula said, pointing to the back of her neck.

“We all have them,” Hannah said, “It's where they put the implants.”

She nodded to the other women, who all took out various capsules, medicine bottles, and containers, each holding an implant like the ones found in Ragnar Sigeric, Max Fenig, Daniel Burkard, and herself. Angela felt a wave of anxiety hit her. She gripped her Walkman tightly, trying not to remember, trying not to realize what she feared was true.

“By the way, where is Brunhild Hagopian?” Angela said.

Department of Oncology, Lelow Medical Center – 10:00 AM

Penny, Hannah, and Angela looked through a window to an adjoining room, where Brunhild Hagopian lay on a table connecting to a machine, undergoing treatment. A female doctor stood over her.

“What's wrong with her?” Angela said.

“Brunhild's in the advanced stages of an undiagnosed cancer ailment,” Hannah said, “Her body's full of tumors that won't respond to any kind of treatment.”

“And you think this is the result of her abduction experiences?” Angela said.

“They've been taking her since she was in her teens,” Penny said, “This is what's going to happen to all of us.”

“I don't know if you understand this or not, Angela, but we're all going to end up like her,” Hannah said.

“We're all dying... because of what they do to us,” Penny said.

Angela uneasily watched Brunhild lie on the table. A part of her didn’t want to hear what Hannah and Penny were saying. She wanted to tell herself she would be fine, but she couldn’t bring herself to, for some reason. What was going on here?

Office of the Admiralty / Imperial Naval Shipyard

As a ship scoured the waters looking for him, Anders climbed out of the water and up a flight of stairs. He then ran, checking behind him often, over the bridge and saw a warehouse being heavily guarded, lights shining brightly from inside despite being morning. Another car pulled up and more SWAT team members and RSB agents got out and talked to the others. As they talk, Anders snuck behind them and over to the side of the warehouse. Skulking carefully, he ran up a ramp and climbs up the side of the building to a window. Rubbing off the fog, he looked in to see a number of scientists and technicians working on a giant craft, like the one he vaguely remembered seeing at KL Edinburg, of some sort under a large plastic sheet. As the technicians, draped in containment suits, worked on the machine, Anders looked away, trying to comprehend what he has just seen.

---

Posting this early because it's a pain to format on mobile.

Anders gets closer to some sort of autopsy while Angela finds the most unique social club out there. Angela's is more worrying, if only for the implication that she may be sick herself then.

Anders gets closer to some sort of autopsy while Angela finds the most unique social club out there. Angela's is more worrying, if only for the implication that she may be sick herself then.
Don't give me any ideas.;)

Unit 731, Part 2

Anders’ apartment – 9:00 PM

Anders approached his apartment door, only to find it ajar. He carefully drew his gun, peeked inside, and quietly ran inside. His apartment was dark and messy, in total disarray. He tried the light switch a few times, but it did not work, as was usually the case. Slowly making his way to the doorway to the main room, his eyes searched rapidly.

“Think they found what they were looking for?” Erich said.

Anders spun around and aimed at Erich, who sat in a chair.

“I don't remember giving you a key, Uncle Erich,” Anders said.

“I came to see you,” Erich said, “Obviously, I was late for the party.”

“Yeah, I guess I should really fire my housekeeper, shouldn't I?” Anders said.

“Put the gun down, Anders,” Erich said, “Somebody else might get hurt.”

“Oh, you mean like when we were all pointing our guns at you, right in this apartment?” Anders said.

Erich sighed. “I’m unarmed, you idiot.”

Anders lowered his gun. “Alright, what are you here for?”

“Cai Yingjing, the diplomat that you detained yesterday?” Erich said. “He didn't make his flight to Hong Kong last night. This morning, his body was found floating face-down in the Bosphorus. I think we can assume he wasn't diving for pearls.”

Anders chuckled.

“The Chinese government believes that he was murdered for the contents of a briefcase that he was carrying... a piece of evidence that wasn't logged in the time of his arrest,” Erich said.

“What do they think was in it?” Anders said.

“I've got Foreign Affairs breathing down my neck, Anders, and Schulz is running out of time,” Erich said, “The Chinese are set to prosecute this outside of diplomatic channels, so let's cut the crap.”

“Am I being accused of murder?” Anders said.

“Where's the briefcase?” Erich said.

“Angie has it,” Anders said, “In her rental car. The trunk.”

“And where is she?” Erich said.

“I don't know, I haven't spoken to her since I left her in Lelow,” Anders said.

“Then you better find her, because whatever you stepped in on this case is being tracked into my office and I don't like the smell of it,” Erich said.

“Mind if I tidy up a bit in here first?” Anders said, sitting down.

“This is bigger than me, you, or the Athanatoi, Anders,” Erich said, sighing loudly, “I hope you've got other names in your phone book because I'm taking myself off the hook on this one, and I’m not dragging Schulz through another mess after April. You're on your own.”

Erich left.

Reinhard Makarios’ office, Great Palace – 9:30 PM

Anders walked into Senator Makarios’ office and sat down.

“Hello, Anders,” Makarios said.

“Thank you for seeing me on such short notice,” Anders said.

Makarios stood up and shook his hand. “I understand you're in a difficult position.”

Anders stared at him.

“Don't look so stunned,” Makarios said, “I'm on the intelligence committee. Secrets are the only real currency we deal in.”

“Then you already know what I'm up against,” Anders said.

“Perhaps better than you do, which I assume is why you've come here,” Makarios said.

“I need your advice on how to proceed,” Anders said.

“Return the satellite photos,” Makarios said.

“I'd be implicating myself,” Anders said.

“A good chess player knows which pieces to sacrifice... and when,” Makarios said.

“But I can't afford to become entangled in a murder investigation involving Chinese nationals,” Anders said, “Not now.”

“Why?” Makarios said.

“Because of what I've seen,” Anders said, “Because it would give them time to bury it all where I might not find it again.”

“Do you trust me, Anders?” Makarios said.

Anders stared at him and sighed.

“Then let me earn your trust with the truth,” Makarios said.

“I’m listening,” Anders said.

Makarios sat down at his desk again and took out a piece of paper. “Several weeks ago in Kulm, Red Ruthenia, four Chinese nationals were murdered. All prominent doctors apparently engaged in a highly classified project.”

“What kind of project?” Anders said. “The autopsy of an alien, was that part of it?”

“I can't tell you,” Makarios said, “Some secrets do remain secret, Anders, even to me. I was only just now given the names of the murdered scientists.”

He handed him the paper. The names were Shen Nengfu, Tang Shigao, Ma Xiluo, and Hong Dianshu.

“Their credentials, however, are a matter of public record,” Makarios said, “Past deeds which may illuminate present treacheries. Your time is limited... before you become, as you say...entangled in this past the point of being about to fully understand or expose it.”

“What am I onto here?” Anders said.

“Monsters begetting monsters,” Makarios said, handing him the paper.

X-Division – 10:00 PM

Anders sat at his desk, flipping through papers, wearing his glasses, and occasionally throwing pencils at the ceiling. He sighed, and as he did so there was a knock on the door. He took off his glasses and stood as Angela walked in.

“Hey Angie,” Anders said, “Lock the door.
“Why?” Angela said.

“I’ve got something to show you,” Anders said.

Angela closed the door and locked it.

“Do you have any idea where I've been?” Angela said.

“Lelow?” Anders said.

“I went to go see those GUFON members to find out about that woman, Brunhild Hagopian,” Angela said.

“Oh, what'd you find?” Anders said.

“I found out that she's dying along with a lot of other women who claim to be dying too,” Angela said, taking out a capsule with an implant in it, “All of them who say that they have these implanted in them. It's the same thing I had removed from my own neck.”

“But you're fine, aren't you, Angie?” Anders said.

“Am I?” Angela said. “I don't know, Anders. They, they, they said that they know me, that they've seen me before. It was freaky. They know things about me, about my disappearance.”

“That is disturbing,” Anders said, “But I don't think you should freak out until we find out what this thing is.”

The phone rang. Anders picked it up.

“Humboldt,” he said.

He listened and hung up.

“I got a fax coming through,” he said.

Angela picked up a picture of a group of Chinese doctors. “What’s this?”

“That's a group of Chinese medical officers taken during World War II,” Anders said.

“I’ve seen this man before,” Angela said, pointing to the man on the left.

“No, I don't think so,” Anders said, “Not unless you were in China in the last fifty years.”

“No, I... I've seen him before,” Angela said.

“His name is Doctor Hong Dengxing, he's been dead since 1965,” Anders said, “He was the commander of an elite section of the Chinese Army medical corps known as Unit 731, a unit now known to have experimented on human subjects, mostly Angeloi prisoners of war. They performed vivisections without anesthesia...tested frostbite tolerance levels on infants...exposed innocent prisoners of war to diseases like the bubonic plague. Like their Angeloi and Rasa counterparts, they were never brought to justice.”

“What are you doing with this?” Angela said.

“Four of the doctors you see in this photo were on that videotape I showed you, performing that autopsy,” Anders said.

“Yeah, but they were in full surgical dress, you couldn't tell one from the other,” Angela said.

“Somebody could, because those same four men were murdered yesterday, found here right on Roman soil,” Anders said.

The fax machine beeped.

“Murdered for what?” Angela said.

“That's what I'd like to know,” Anders said.

“Well, murdered by whom?” Angela said.

“Possibly our government,” Anders said.

“Our government?” Angela said. “For what possible reason?”

“For continuing their work,” Anders said, “The work the Angeloi and Rasas were doing, trying to create an alien-human hybrid.”

“Anders, that is still a fantasy,” Angela said.

“Angie, after all you've seen... after all you've told me you've seen,” Anders said, “The tunnel with medical files, the, the aliens running past you, the... the implant in your neck, the freaking UFO that flew over, why do you refuse to believe?”

“Believing's the easy part, Anders,” Angela said, “I just need proof.”

“You think that believing is easy?” Anders said, taking a sheet from the fax machine, “Well, we have proof. I identified what those five photos were tracking. A ship that pulled a UFO off the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. A UFO that's in a warehouse in Greifswald right now being guarded by the RSB...A UFO that was probably carrying that alien we saw in that autopsy tape.”

Angela looked at the photo of the boxcar. “What am I looking at?”

“Part of our government's secret railroad between the Reich and China,” Anders said, Train cars used to carry test subjects. Used to conduct that autopsy we saw being performed.”

“Where did you get this?” Angela said.

“From someone like you who wants proof...” Anders said. “Who's also willing to believe.”

Leza Atsumi’s lab, Omar Mukhtar Building – December 3, 1995, 9:00 AM

Demetrios came as soon as he was called. St. Eudokimos didn’t expect to have a busy schedule for him that day, so he had time to spend at the Athanatoi headquarters. Leza had been mostly stumped by the implant, and she needed the opinion of a doctor, especially the one who had found and removed the implant to begin with. Plus, it helped Demetrios minored in electrical engineering.

Demetrios looked through a microscope at the implant. Angela stood next to him.

“Hmm,” he said, “Amazing.”

“Do you know what it is?” Angela said.

“I’m not Melissa Saxberg, but it looks like—” Demetrios began.

“A microprocessor,” Angela finished, “Yeah, same as what I thought. State of the art, too.”

Leza typed in a few commands on a keyboard. The screen on the monitor switched to that of a microscopic layout of the implant.

“The microlithology's extremely complex,” Leza said, “I've never seen anything even close to this density.”

“Any way of finding out who manufactures it?” Angela said.

“Uh, there are a few companies out in Tel Aviv, couple in Strasburg,” Demetrios said, “Could be any one of them.”

“Can’t be the Strasburg ones, they’re too far behind to develop something like this,” Angela said, “Maybe Tesla Dynamic, since they own Eurisko. What are these chips used for?”

“Video games, brake systems,” Leza said, “They're finding new apps everyvday. I just read about one being designed to help the severely disabled operate computers using brainwaves.”

“How?” Angela said.

“Through direct electrochemical interface with the cerebral cortex,” Demetrios said, “Pretty incredible, huh?”

“Yeah,” Angela said, kissing Demetrios on the cheek, “Keep it up.”

She got her coat and left.

Pulawy, west of Lublin

A train whistle blared far off as the courtyard with the boxcars remained relatively peaceful. Anders climbed up a ladder to the roof and made his way down the building, where he saw a number of boxcars. Taking out a pair of binoculars, Anders watched for signs of life when he sees a single man walking. Still looking, he saw boxcar numbered "82517." Anders looked to his right to see a white van pull up. He ducked down as two other limousines stopped next to it. As Anders watched through his binoculars, Chinese and Vietnamese men ran to the white van and opened the back doors, talking in Vietnamese and various Chinese dialects. A being stepped out in a white containment suit, being led to the boxcar by the Chinese escorts. The being's face was clearly not human; it was obviously alien.

Anders ran under a system of above-ground water mains and then up a flight of stairs. He then ran over to the side and saw the congregation. A Chinese escort walked over to the first limousine and talked to the man waiting, who opened the door. He got in, and the cars drove away as the boxcar started off. Anders hid from view behind a column and then ran after the boxcar, to no avail.

X-Division

Angela watched the tape in fast-forward mode as Doctor Hong plugged in numbers on a keypad on the tape. As she watched curiously, the man took off his mask. Angela paused it when she got a clear view of his face. She then rewound to get a clearer, close-up view. Her eyes widened as another memory returned to her.

There was a bright light. She saw three doctors standing open her, all taking Chinese. Another doctor leaned down to her. It was Hong. She tilted her head and looked at him as he put his mask on.

The phone rang, startling her out of her memory. She picked it up.

“Hansen,” she said.

“Hey, Angie, it’s me,” Anders said.

“Where are you?” Angela said.

“A trainyard in Polawy, outside Lublin,” Anders said, “A group of Chinese men just put an alien in one of those boxcars we saw in the satellite photos.”

“I thought you said that it was our government's railroad,” Angela said.

“Something serious is going down here, Angie,” Anders said.

“The alien is alive,” Anders said, “I got to get on that train. It's hooking up with a Scandinavian passenger train outside Warsaw.”

“Anders, I was right about Doctor Hong,” Angela said, “He's not dead. In fact, he's on your videotape.”

“Well, that's where you know him from, then,” Anders said.

“No, that's not where I know him from at all,” Angela said.

She hung up.

Warsaw Central Station – 3:00 AM

The Chinese escort walked to the bathroom, passing a man with glasses as he entered. At a vending machine, the red-haired man watched him intently.

“Your attention, please,” the announcer said, “All passengers on Scandinavian Northern Express for Stockholm, prepare for boarding on Track Four.”

Doctor Hong looked at his ticket and started walking. In the bathroom, the red-haired man dragged the escort’s body into a stall and locked the door. He then left the bathroom and walked towards the track. Minutes later, Anders drove up to the station and ran to the desk.

“Express train to Stockholm, what track is it on?” Anders said.

“It just left,” the clerk said.

“When, when did it leave?” Anders said.

“You just missed it,” the clerk said, “It literally just pulled out of the station.”

“Thanks,” Anders said, walking out.

Anders’ apartment

Angela walked down the hallway to Anders’ apartment, ruffling through her keys.

“Agent Hansen,” X said.

She turned around and saw X standing a little down the hallway. He approached her.

“What are you doing here?” Angela said.

“Have you spoken to Agent Humboldt?” X said.

“No, why?” Angela said.

“He's in danger,” X said.

“How do you know?” Angela said.

“He's tracking a train,” X said, “You can't let him get on it.”

“I don't know what you're talking about,” Angela said.

She opened the door to Anders’ apartment and tried to slam the door in his face, but he stuck his foot in the doorway.

“You've got to get word to him,” X said.

“Why should I trust you?” Angela said. “You've lied to us before.”

“You're wasting time,” X said, “Do you understand?”

Freeway overpass – 3:30 PM

Anders stopped on the overpass and got out as the train passed underneath. His phone rang.

“Humboldt,” he said.

“Anders, don’t get on the train,” Angela said.

“Why?” Anders said.

“Because they know where you are...” Angela said. “...and they know what you're doing.”

“Who told you that?” Anders said.

“Look, Anders, it's just too dangerous,” Angela said.

“Who told you, Angie?” Anders said. “It’s already here.”

“Let it go,” Angela said.

“I can't,” Anders said.

“Anders, don't get on the train,” Angela said.

Anders hung up and put down his phone. Then he jumped onto the train.

Since today is Teusday and you’ve told me to remind you about this today, I shall.:D
Just to let you know through, I think I’ve found more cultural lore on pages 77-79 ranging from multiple subjects from stragety games to the Red Alert games to the Maximist ideology. I recommend looking at the posts that have 2 or three helpful ratings or one helpful and one agree rating combined if you need help finding the cultural details.:)
I’m also going to mention there was some culture lore not in the table of contents in page 60, talking about the major world languages. If there are still discussions I forgot to mention that you find on your own in the other pages, feel free to add them to the table of contents.:)

Since today is Teusday and you’ve told me to remind you about this today, I shall.:D
I was just about to tell you I just finished adding those posts, at least most of them (I'm not sure if I missed any).:p
I’m also going to mention there was some culture lore not in the table of contents in page 60, talking about the major world languages. If there are still discussions I forgot to mention that you find on your own in the other pages, feel free to add them to the table of contents.:)
I'll take a look and get on it.;)

Edit: Just added it, by the way. :)

Last edited:
The closer Anders gets to the truth, the more distant he becomes from Angela. Unlikely to come up anytime soon, but they really need a vacation.

The closer Anders gets to the truth, the more distant he becomes from Angela. Unlikely to come up anytime soon, but they really need a vacation.
But he hasn't been dosed with LSD again...yet.;)

Unit 731, Part 3

Outside Schrottersburg, Mazovia

Several army trucks crashed through the locked barbed wire gates and charged into a disease research facility. Soldiers got out and stormed the building. Under a small trap door, a man watched as the soldiers forced strange looking men into the trucks. The man ran after the trucks, which stopped in front of a giant trench. The soldiers forced the men out and ordered them to line up in front of the trench. Then they raised their machine guns and gunned them down. Afterwards, the soldiers got back in their trucks and drove away.

Anders’ apartment

“I want to know what's on that train,” Angela said.

“It doesn't matter now,” X said.

“Our government is operating a secret railroad,” Angela said, “They put something on that train in Poland, something living.”

“What more is there to know?” X said.

“What the Chinese have to do with it,” Angela said, “How a man named Hong is involved.”

“That I don't know,” X said, turning to leave.

Angela drew her gun.

“Don't tell me you don't know, you smug son of a b—” she began.

X grabbed the gun out of his hand before she could react. She reached for her second gun, but he grabbed that one too.

“There are limits to my knowledge,” X said.

“I don't have time for your convenient ignorance,” Angela said.

“What were you going to do?” X said. “Shoot me? Just like the men that shot your sister? Like the men you shot your grandfathers?”

“You know them too?” Angela said.

“You want to know what's on that train?” X said. “Who killed your sister and grandfathers? You find out what they put in your neck. It holds more than I could ever tell you. Maybe everything you need to know.”

X handed her gun back to her and then walked away.

East Prussia – December 3, 1995, 5:00 PM

Anders climbed through an open window into one of the cars. As he walked in, he noticed a door marked "quarantine" with a keypad with red glowing buttons. He tried the door, but it was locked. Looking at the keypad, he then looked back through the window and walked into the main hallway, where he approached a conductor.

“Excuse me,” he said, showing his badge, “I need your assistance. I'm an imperial agent.”

“You need my assistance?” the conductor said.

“I need access to that quarantine car you picked up in Warsaw,” Anders said.

“I would if I could, but I don't have access myself,” the conductor said, “We pick these cars up from time to time. Whatever they're carrying, they never let us know.”

“Well, somebody's got to be able to get in that car,” Anders said.

“We've got a doctor on board, came on back at Warsaw,” the conductor said, “He might have something to do with that, I saw him back there, checking the door.”

“What's his name?” Anders said.

“Chinese guy, Doctor...Hong Dengxing,” the conductor said, “Traveling with another party, it says, but I got the impression he was alone.”

“Can you take me to his compartment?” Anders said.

The conductor led him to Hong’s room, where Anders drew his gun. The conductor knocked.

“Doctor Hong?” the conductor said.

Nobody responded. The conductor knocked again.

“It's the conductor, Doctor Hong.”

Nobody responded. The conductor unlocked the door and opened it. The compartment was empty, although Anders found Hong’s briefcase and took out a notebook with notes in Chinese.

“Why did I study Hindi in high school?” he muttered. “You got a safe place you can put this?”

“Yeah,” the conductor said, taking the briefcase, “What am I supposed to tell the doctor when he asks where it is?”

“If he finds you before I find him, I want you to make him lie on the ground till I get back, okay?” Anders said. “You understand?”

The conductor stared at him.

“Have you used a gun before?” Anders asked.

“Fought at Bosanski Petrovac in '43,” the conductor said.

Leza Atsumi’s lab – 5:25 PM

Angela sat with Demetrios and Leza, who had the chip connected to several machines. Leza looked through the microscope as Demetrios pumped more power through it. Angela sat at the desk, looking at a monitor displaying the output.

“You’re feeding the chip impulses,” Angela said.

“Yeah,” Leza said, “The graph is recording its output, which, when I remove the current, changes slightly but continues.”

“The neural network is storing information,” Angela said, “Biological information?”

“That was my first guess,” Demetrios said, “The chip was placed subcutaneous under the back of the neck, so it makes sense that it would be recording impulses traveling to and from the central nervous system. But what information?”

“Look at the graph,” Angela said, “Those are reverberatory loops. They indicate the presence of circular neuronal activity in the brain.”

“Memory formation,” Leza said.

“Yeah, the chip seems to be mimicking that process, replicating the memory process in the brain,” Angela said, “Like a computer hard drive.”

“Yeah, but no hard drive we've ever seen,” Leza said, “This kind of neural network could be not only collecting information, but artificially replicating a person's mental processes.”

“You could know a person's every thought,” Angela said.

“Not just that, but also influence them,” Demetrios said, “Frightening.”

“Anyway, I showed the chip to some of my tech heads and they weren't as blown away as I thought they'd be,” Leza said.

“Showed it to some of my friends in the medical community and got the same result,” Demetrios added.

“They've seen this technology before?” Angela said.

“Well, they've seen neural nets before, but never one as complex as that... nor are they likely to anytime soon,” Leza said.

“The chip's so delicate that I effectively destroyed it when I began working on it, but I found something in the silicon matrix, what I believe is the name of the manufacturer,” Leza said.

“It's Chinese, isn't it?” Angela said.

“How'd you know?” Leza said.

“Oh, it was just a guess,” Angela said.

“Well, I checked for you,” Demetrios said, “I assumed you'd want me to... but there's no record or information on the manufacturer either here or in China, except this.”

He handed her a sheet of paper that read:

NOT APPLICABLE NOT APPLICABLE DR. Hong Dengxing [REDACTED]-0103 R.R. 214 SCHROTTERSBURG, MAZOVIA

“I had Im Ex, R.P.S., the postal service... every commercial courier go through their computer records,” Leza said, “They turned up one shipment, sent to a Doctor Hong Dengxing at a research facility out in Schrottersburg.”

“Well done, guys,” Angela said, “Keep it up.”

She left the lab.

East Prussia

The train sped down its tracks. As Doctor Hong made his way down a car, the red-haired man watched him carefully. Hong went into the next car, and the red-haired man followed. Hong looked behind and saw the man following him. He went into the bathroom, but the red-haired man barged inside, drawing a silenced pistol.

“Please…” Hong pleaded.

The red-haired man shot him in the head.

Outside Schrottersburg, Mazovia – 8:25 PM

Angela drove up to the facility and got out, holding her flashlight. She heard a bang and spun around to see a man running by.

“Hey!” she said, running after him. “Stop!”

She ran into the building in time to see the man shrink down into a trap door. She pulled the trap door open and found several men suffering from leprosy cowering below.

“Please... don't... don't hurt us,” the first man said, “Please? Don't...”

East Prussia

Anders saw the bathroom door was ajar, although the "in service" sign was still on. He pushed open the door and found Hong’s dead body. A man behind him yelped.

“Mein Gott!” he said. “Is it the RAF?!”

Anders quickly shut the door and held up his badge. “Nothing to see here, I’m going to take care of this. Just return to your seats, and I’ll ask the conductor about reimbursements.”

The man walked away. Anders made sure the door was closed before walking away, back to Hong’s room.

Outside Schrottersburg

The strange lepers seemed to be afraid of the light. They clung to the edge of the trap room, trying to stay away from Angela’s flashlight beam.

“Who are you?” Angela said, holding up her badge. “Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm an Athanatoi agent.”

“We, we live here,” the man said, “We've lived here at the facility most of our lives.”

“What kind of facility?” Angela said.

“The Leprosy Research Facility,” the man said.

“Do you mean this is a leper colony?” Angela said.

“No more, they... the facility's closed now,” the man said.

“L, look. I, I, I came here looking for a Doctor Hong Dengxing,” Angela said.

“Doctor Hong... isn't here anymore,” the man said, “None of the medical staff is.”

“Where did they go?” Angela said.

“Well... they all left right before the death squads started coming,” the man said.

“What death squads?” Angela said.

The man climbed out of the pit. “That's, that's who we've been hiding from. We thought you'd come to kill us... like they killed all the others. Let me show you.”

He walked out of the building and into the woods, and Angela followed him.

“How many have been killed?” Angela said.

“Hundreds,” the man said, “All but us.”

“I don't understand how there could have been hundreds of people here when, when leprosy is supposed to be a treatable disease,” Angela said, “If not mostly eradicated in the Reich.”

“Well, it is,” the man said, “Me... and, and, and the other people back at the hiding place? We're the last. Our disfigurement forced us into the camps before there was a treatment.”

“Who were the others?” Angela said.

“We never knew,” the man said, “They began arriving several years ago but they were kept apart from us.”

“And they had leprosy?” Angela said.

“No, no, they had the deformities,” the man said, “Doctor Hong would... round them up in groups for ‘treatment’. And then the, the ones that returned always came back worse. With terrible burns all over their bodies. It's over there.”

They reached a trench, and Angela gasped in horror at the hundreds of bodies piled on top of each other, each with alien features.

“Mein Gott,” she said.

“There are more of these pits,” the man said, “They just... dump the bodies on top of each other... like they were garbage.”

They heard a helicopter approaching.

“They’re coming!” the man said, running off.

They didn’t get far before army trucks screeched to a halt in front of them, and soldiers got out and surrounded them. Colonel Heidelberg appeared and immediately shot the man in the head.

“Move and you’re dead,” he told Angela, “But please move. It would save me a lot of trouble.”

East Prussia

Anders met up with the conductor again.

“I found Hong four cars up, strangled in the bathroom,” he said, “Now, I want you to get up there and seal off that bathroom. I want you to get word to the engineer not to stop this train until I tell him, okay? Until I find the killer.”

The conductor nodded. Anders walked to the quarantine car, but he found the door open. Drawing his gun, he made his way inside and past the machines and cabinets over to a dissecting table in the middle. Passing that, he saw an alien cowering in fear inside, staring at him. Suddenly, the red-haired man grabbed Anders by the neck and slammed his fist into the door, forcing Anders to drop his gun. The red-haired man drew his gun and prepared to shoot, but the conductor aimed his gun at him.

“Hey!” he shouted.

The red-haired man looked up in shock as Anders backed away from him.

“I'm RSB,” he said.

“Of course he is,” Anders muttered.

“Stay back,” the conductor said.

“Just put the gun down,” the red-haired man said, “I’ll show you my badge.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out an RSB badge. He walked slowly to the conductor. The conductor, though, ran for the door and slammed it in his face, locking it. The red-haired man banged on the door.

“You idiot!” he shouted..

Anders grabbed his gun and aimed at the red-haired man.

“Put your hands in the air and turn around!” he ordered.

The red-haired man reluctantly did so, approaching him.

“You have no idea what you're dealing with here,” he said.

“Well, maybe you should've filled me in before you tried to kill me,” Anders said, “Now, who are you?”

“No, who are you?” the red-haired man said.

“Answer me!” Anders said.

“I’m RSB, as you know,” the red-haired man said, “There's a bomb on this train.”

“There's something on this train, but it's not a bomb,” Anders said, “Throw that here.”

The red-haired man tossed Anders his badge.

“This car is wired to an explosive device,” he said, “It armed automatically when I entered the car.”

“Why?” Anders said.

“Because of what's in that room,” the red-haired man said, “Because if the man responsible for it couldn't get it out of the country, he would rather kill it than let it live.”

“So you killed him,” Anders said.

“The only humane alternative, given the circumstances,” the red-haired man said, “This bomb could be wired to anything in the car. The slightest concussion could set it off. If you use that weapon, you take your chances.”

“I’ll take my chances,” Anders said.

Outside Schrottersburg – 9:00 PM

Heidelberg led Angela into a bunk hall, where the first elder, one of the Syndicate leaders, sat on a cot, facing the window.

“I’d like to speak with Frau Hansen alone,” the first elder said.

Heidelberg left.

“How did you know my name?” Angela said.

“I know most everything about you, Angela,” the first elder said.

“That’s kind of creepy,” Angela said, “What are you talking about?”

The first elder turned around. “I think you know.”

“Who are you?” Angela said. “What is this place?”

The first elder slowly walked over to her, his footsteps echoing.

“This was one of the most frightening places on the earth,” he said, “A place where society sent its monsters to live in shame and isolation. Now, their disease is all but conquered. Science has eliminated thousands of years of misery.”

“I've seen your methods of elimination,” Angela said, “What happened to the people who were in this room?”

“They had been exposed,” the first elder said.

“Exposed to what?” Angela said.

“The same thing all these victims have been exposed to him,” the first elder said, “Victims of an inhuman project run by a man named... Hong.”

“You hid him here after 1944,” Angela said, “He stayed here, and you helped him continue his experiments.”

“The ruler of the world is no longer the country with the bravest soldiers, but the greatest scientists,” the first elder said, “But good thing the Reich has both. Unfortunately, Hong began to conduct his work in secret, not sharing with those who had risked much in giving him his asylum.”

“What was he exposing these people to?” Angela said.

“Terrible things,” the first elder said.

“What kinds of things?” Angela said. “Have I been exposed?”

“I don't know,” the first elder said.

“Who knows?” Angela said.

The first elder walked to the door and held it open for her. “Please, I'd like to show you something that will give you your answers.”

East Prussia

“Agent Humboldt?” the conductor said from the other side of the door. “Do you want us to try prying this door open?”

“I wouldn't recommend that,” the red-haired man said.

Anders looked at him briefly, gun still trained. He looked at the conductor and shook his head.

“Where's the keycard?” he asked.

The red-haired man took it out and handed it to him.

“It's not going to work,” he said.

“No?” Anders said. “How did you get in here? But there's a code, right? Hong gave you a code just before you killed him. What is it?”

“1111471,” the red-haired man said, “I'd assume Hong would be smarter than to give me the entrance and the exit code.”

“What?” Anders said.

“He knew he was going to die,” the red-haired man said, “When I used the code to enter the car, it activated the bomb. You use it again, it'll almost certainly set it off.”

“There's a bomb on this train, where is it?” Anders said.

“I don't know,” the red-haired man said, “It could be anywhere.”

“No, it couldn't be anywhere,” Anders said, “If you activated it coming in here, it's got to be on this car.”

“You're probably right,” the red-haired man said.

“Where do you think it is?” Anders said.

The red-haired man shrugged.

“You know what I think?” Anders said. “I think you're a liar. I don't think you work for the RSB. You don’t have the swagger and arrogance. You sound too reasonable. And I don't think there's a bomb on this train.”

Anders turned back to the keypad.

“You're choosing a hell of a way to find out!” the red-haired man said.

“Shut up!” Anders said.

Before he could type the code into the keycard, the red-haired man’s phone rang.

“Answer it,” Anders said.

The red-haired man picked it up. “Yes? Yes. Just a moment.”

He handed it to Anders. “It's for you.”

Anders took the phone. “Hello?”

“Herr Humboldt, I have someone here who'd like to speak with you,” the first elder said.

“Anders, it's me,” Angela said.

“Angie, where are you?” Anders said.

“Outside Schrottersburg,” Angela said.

“Who dialed this number?” Anders said.

“Anders, we've gotten involved in something, but it's not at all what you think,” Angela said.

“What are you talking about?” Anders said.

“Whatever is on that train is not alien,” Angela said.

Anders looked at the door. “You're wrong, Angie.”

“Anders, Hong was experimenting on innocent human subjects,” Angela said, “ He'd been doing it for years. Operating out of a leper colony.”

“Well, whoever he was, Angie, he's dead,” Anders said, “I don't think this has anything to do with lepers.”

“The leper colony was just a front,” Angela said, “The tests weren't just on lepers. They were on the homeless...On, on, on the insane, on Muslims, on homosexuals, on people the equalists didn’t like, they were brought here and they were subjected to diseases and radiation tests.”

“Who told you this?” Anders said.

“The man who handed me the phone,” Angela said.

“Well, why do you believe him?” Anders said.

“Because of what he's shown me,” Angela said.

“What's he shown you?” Anders said.

“Anders, I'm standing in a train car just like the one in your alien autopsy video... only I realize that I've been here before,” Angela said.

“What are you talking about, Angie?” Anders said.

“This is where they brought me, Anders,” Angela said, “This is where they put the implant in my neck, in one of these cars. It all makes sense, Anders. Hong was using the secret railroad to conduct his tests across the country, including the Occupied Territories. The women in Lelow, they all remember these cars.”

“Angie?” Anders said. “Angie? So what are you saying, that Hong is the one who abducted these women?”

“What I am saying, Anders, is that there is no such thing as alien abduction,” Angela said, “It is just a smoke screen, happily created by our government to cover-up the biggest lie of all.”

“What about the UFO I saw them working on?” Anders said. “And the other UFO? And the other one?”

“It was a piece of a Chinese nuclear sub that was raised,” Angela said.

“How can you be so sure?” Anders said. "And what about the other UFOs?"

“Because I have what I told you I needed, Anders... proof,” Angela said, “Two weeks ago, Chancellor Kohl made a public apology for secret radiation tests that had been conducted on innocent citizens up until 1974. Only, guess what?”

“Those tests never ended,” Anders said.

“Anders, listen to me,” Angela said, “You have got to stay out of that train car.”

“Because there’s a bomb inside?” Anders said.

“How did you know?” Angela said.

“I’m locked inside,” Anders said.

“Anders, if that bomb detonates, thousands of people are going to die of hemorrhagic fever,” Angela said, “That's what the test subject inside has been exposed to. We've got to get you out of there. 'Cause that device is on a timer.”

“Where is it?” Anders said.

“There should be a ventilation grid on the ceiling,” Angela said, “It's hidden up inside.”

Anders motioned to the red-haired man and pointed at the ventilation grid. “Open it.”

The red-haired man reached up and pulled off the vent, revealing a bomb inside. The timer was on 1:42:00 and slowly counting down.

“Did you find it, Anders?” Angela said.

“Oh yeah, I found it,” Anders said, “Got a little over an hour and a half.”

“Look, Anders, you've got to get them to stop that train so we can get you off of it,” Angela said, “They want you to tell the engineer to stop at the next station.”

“Why?” Anders said.

“So we can get a bomb squad out there and evacuate the train,” Angela said.

Suddenly, the signal cut out, and the call dropped. Anders put down his phone. He walked to the conductor.

“Where are we?” he asked.

“Still in East Prussia,” the conductor said, “Got held up by a strike and RAF bombing for a while back there.”

Alright, listen to me,” Anders said, “I want you to get word to the engineer that there's an RAF bomb on this car.”

“A bomb?” the conductor said.

“That's right, I want you to tell him not to make his next scheduled stop and to reroute, you understand?” Anders said. “I want you to tell him to choose a place as far away from a populated area as possible and unhook this car.”

The conductor ran off.

“You're going to get us both killed,” the red-haired man said.

“I want you to kneel down and put your hands behind you back,” Anders ordered.

The red-haired man complied.

“They'll never be able to find us in time,” he said.

“If what's on this train is important as I think it is, they will,” Anders said.

Half an hour later, the train screeched to a halt. A man walked out and switched the track path, unhooking the boxcar and leaving it there.

“You're going to die, you know that?” the red-haired man said.

“What do you care?” Anders said. “You were trying to kill me anyway.”

The timer read 1:11:06.3.

I've been a lurker for a while. I've been following you immensely, and I like your stories. I'd like to know if GTA exists, and if it does, since the Reich's probably very anti-violent video games, what are the cities in the games called? I'm imagining that Liberty City from GTA 3 and IV would be Frankfurt, while Vice City from GTA: Vice City would probably be Naples or Palermo. I also imagine that Los Santos from GTA: San Andreas and V would be Alexandria or Damascus, while San Fierro and Las Venturas from San Andreas would probably be Tel Aviv or Riyadh.
I imagine that GTA would be more anti-violence than real life, with the police probably being more likely to catch the player than real life. I also imagine that the American-Australian War from Vice City would be World War III in this universe.

Last edited:
I've been a lurker for a while. I've been following you immensely, and I like your stories. I'd like to know if GTA exists, and if it does, since the Reich's probably very anti-violent video games, what are the cities in the games called? I'm imagining that Liberty City from GTA 3 and IV would be Frankfurt, while Vice City from GTA: Vice City would probably be Naples or Palermo. I also imagine that Los Santos from GTA: San Andreas and V would be Alexandria or Damascus, while San Fierro and Las Venturas from San Andreas would probably be Tel Aviv or Riyadh.
I imagine that GTA would be more anti-violence than real life, with the police probably being more likely to catch the player than real life. I also imagine that the American-Australian War from Vice City would be World War III in this universe.
First off, I'd like to say thanks for reading. I really appreciate your feedback and support.:)

I think GTA would still exist. The Reich is not necessarily anti-violent video games, though the violence would certainly be toned down. The police would be made more aggressive. However, there would also be corrupt police officers who could help out the player, and the player could also work as an officer (but he could also just be there to get information and to harm their efforts to stop him). I agree with all of your suggestions for the locations (Vice City would be a mix of both Napels and Palermo, and Los Santos would be a mix of Damascus, Alexandria, and a stereotypical "Middle Eastern" city). Los Santos would be called Agiopolis, Vice City would be Viziostadt, Liberty City would be Einheitsburg, San Fierro would be Altneuberg, and Las Venturas would be Al-Mashri. The American-Australian War might be World War III, but I never heard of it (I don't play the games), so I can't really say much about it without more information.

I know it’s unlikely that you’ve read or even heard of them, but what would the Discworld novels be like in this timeline? I guess Ankh-Morpk would be similar to China under the military junta, but since Ankh Morpork is not a monarchy I’m wondering how it would work? While I’m at it, do British writers like Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman and other British I’m forgetting to mention still exist and if so what would their works be like. I assume equlievents of British comedies and American sitcoms and shows so I’m wondering what would Roman comedy be like here? I’m thinking that each of the Reich’s regions and provinces have their own distinct style of comedy, with Britiana’s comedy similar to OTL’s British comedy and the rest of the Reich (expect the Occupied Territories which would probably have a cynical brand of comedy similar to British comedy) having comedy similar to American comedy.

Also you may want to add those GTA discussions to the Video Games section of the supplementory cultural lore section of the table of contents by the way.:)

I know it’s unlikely that you’ve read or even heard of them, but what would the Discworld novels be like in this timeline? I guess Ankh-Morpk would be similar to China under the military junta, but since Ankh Morpork is not a monarchy I’m wondering how it would work? While I’m at it, do British writers like Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman and other British I’m forgetting to mention still exist and if so what would their works be like. I assume equlievents of British comedies and American sitcoms and shows so I’m wondering what would Roman comedy be like here? I’m thinking that each of the Reich’s regions and provinces have their own distinct style of comedy, with Britiana’s comedy similar to OTL’s British comedy and the rest of the Reich (expect the Occupied Territories which would probably have a cynical brand of comedy similar to British comedy) having comedy similar to American comedy.

Also you may want to add those GTA discussions to the Video Games section of the supplementory cultural lore section of the table of contents by the way.:)
Actually, I have heard of Discworld and read a couple novels, a while ago at least. :p Anyways, I took this paragraph from the Wikipedia page for the government of Ankh-Morpork:

The last and worst of the official Ankh-Morpork kings - the euphemistically remembered Lorenzo the Kind - was overthrown in the Ankh-Morpork Civil War. The question of what to do with the deposed king (no judge would try him) was settled when he was killed by the then Commander of the City Watch, Suffer-Not-Injustice Vimes. Known as "Old Stoneface," his regicide resulted in his being banned from bearing arms, though this didn't stop him and his supporters from taking over the city. Afterwards "Old Stoneface" and his Ironheads attempted to introduce democracy, but the people voted against it and for a restoration of the monarchy. After "Old Stoneface" himself was overthrown, Ankh-Morpork reverted to a non-hereditary oligarchic system, where business leaders replaced the monarchy as ruthless tyrants, but didn't have the audacity to invoke divine right. It is, however, rumoured that the royal blood line of the Kings of Ankh has not in fact died out but instead continued, and that the true king, Carrot Ironfoundersson, wields power from behind the scenes, and he orchestrated the entire civil war to get rid of his father and not have to deal with the protocols and responsibilities (not to mention the immense paperwork) of being a monarch. The Patrician rules the city, and operates a specialised form of "One Man, One Vote" democracy: the Patrician is the Man, and he has the Vote.

British writers like Douglas Adams and Neil Gaiman (especially those two) still exist, and British comedies are still around (I think I mentioned Monty Python a while back). Each cultural region has its own unique version of comedy, but as said before, the entertainment industry is dominated by the English and their brand of comedy. Thus Roman comedy is mostly influenced by English elements (as well as German, which is a mix of real life German and American comedy). The Occupied Territories would have a very cynical brand of comedy derived from satirizing their own oppression under the Soviets.

And I'll get on adding the GTA stuff and this post.

After all that's happened, after everything Anders and Angela have been through, if there really hasn't been any alien activity... that's gonna be downright tragic. Not unsatisfying, mind you; you've consistently had an alternate explanation for what's happened. It would just be such a punch in the gut for Anders.

After all that's happened, after everything Anders and Angela have been through, if there really hasn't been any alien activity... that's gonna be downright tragic. Not unsatisfying, mind you; you've consistently had an alternate explanation for what's happened. It would just be such a punch in the gut for Anders.
Anders would be absolutely devastated if he realized this was all a hoax, and then he would just lose himself. And then Angela would have to deal with the fallout, which would be devastating on its own too. But if I go down that route, I would’ve just wasted everybody’s last few weeks on Stellaris setup that went nowhere. Not to say I’m confirming or denying it. :p

What's the Baltimore parallel? I wonder, since it's never been mentioned, I think. Also, what's the Wire like in this universe? I imagine that the characters with Spanish/Mexican names would have Russian names instead.
As well, what are the TTL versions of Cleveland, Portland (the one in Oregon), Seattle, and Salt Lake City respectively? Considering that they're major American cities, it seems quite odd that they haven't been mentioned yet as far as I can remember.
Also, what's the Elder Scrolls like? I imagine that the Empire would be the Republic instead, as well as the Aldmeri Dominion probably being like TTL's fascist and equalist regimes. I imagine that the persecution of Talos worshippers would be a heavy part of Skyrim, and it would be mentioned heavily by Stormcloak characters, who would portray it as the Empire persecuting Talos worshippers of its own free will, while Empire characters would portray it as the Thalmor forcing them to do it.
Finally, what's the Inheritance Cycle like? I imagine that the Empire would be renamed to the Republic, with Galbatorix being the President rather than the Emperor.

Last edited:
Also, what's the Elder Scrolls like? I imagine that the Empire would be the Republic instead, as well as the Aldmeri Dominion probably being like TTL's fascist and equalist regimes. I imagine that the persecution of Talos worshippers would be a heavy part of Skyrim, and it would be mentioned heavily by Stormcloak characters, who would portray it as the Empire persecuting Talos worshippers of its own free will, while Empire characters would portray it as the Thalmor forcing them to do it.
Finally, what's the Inheritance Cycle like? I imagine that the Empire would be renamed to the Republic, with Galbatorix being the President rather than the Emperor.
While I like most of your suggestions, I feel like changing the Tamriel Empire into a republic would be anachronistic towards the setting and lore of the series, especially since one; for most of the games the empire was portraited in a positive or netrual light for most of the games and one could argue that the Empire was right in Skyrim. And two; the plot and lore of the games, especially Obivilion, would have to be changed drastically to make sense with the republic. As for the Inheritance Cycle, maybe but I think it would be better if Galbatorix was like Malcolm Bethune and thus the usurper of the rightful emperor (or empress).
I’m sorry for being a bit critical of some of your ideas, they are good. I’m just pointing out things that could be a bit better or would probably not work. I do think the Evil Republic would be architype for stories in the Reich, but it would probably make more sense if it was used for Sci fi stories rather than Fantasy ones.

I guess I can ask @zenphoenix this through; what would the Mass Effect games and the lore of the Dark Souls (plus Bloodbrone and Demon Souls) be like here. I hope that the ending of Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect Andromeda is better than OTL at least.:D And I do know that you said you haven’t played many games outside of PDX, but I’m just curious about the lore and story of the games so I think that could do.:)

Last edited:
What's the Baltimore parallel? I wonder, since it's never been mentioned, I think.
Right now, I have the cities of Nicaea and Nicomedia (east of Constantinople) as the Baltimore parallels. I was originally going to have Angela live there, but I decided it would be better to have her live in downtown, given her job.
Also, what's the Wire like in this universe? I imagine that the characters with Spanish/Mexican names would have Russian names instead.
The Wire would be a little less grim. While the Reich does have a drug and gang problem, it's not as bad as in real life America (except for in the former Occupied Territories). Characters with Hispanic names would have Russian and other Slavic (Polish, Czech, Bulgarian, etc.) names instead, while African-American characters would have Persian and Mongolian names.
As well, what are the TTL versions of Cleveland, Portland (the one in Oregon), Seattle, and Salt Lake City respectively? Considering that they're major American cities, it seems quite odd that they haven't been mentioned yet as far as I can remember.
Just to explain my reasoning, I generally take each city's real life sister city (or the sister city of the closest city with one) to form my analogues, though I make a lot of exceptions if I find a better suited parallel. As such, Cleveland would be Heidenheim, Portland would be Utrecht, Seattle would be London, and Salt Lake City would be Augustinstown in Sudafrika (large population of immigrants, home to many religious groups fleeing persecution).
While I like most of your suggestions, I feel like changing the Tamriel Empire into a republic would be anachronistic towards the setting and lore of the series, especially since one; for most of the games the empire was portraited in a positive or netrual light and one could argue that the Empire was right in Skyrim. And two; the plot and lore of the games, especially Obivilion, would have to be changed drastically to make sense with the republic.
Although I do like your suggestion, Brigadier, I have to agree with Alvious on this one. From what I read on Wikipedia, the Tamriel Empire doesn't seem to be an overarching enemy. It actually feels close to the Reich in some respects. I think I can keep the Empire intact with the original lore. I do like your idea about persecution of Talos worshippers being done of the Empire's free will. Perhaps the Empire sees them as agents of the Aldmeri Dominion, especially after the Dominion took a lot of the Empire's provinces during the Empire's last civil war. Then the Dominion would be our Soviet/Angeloi analogue.
As for the Inheritance Cycle, maybe but I think it would be better if Galbatorix was like Malcolm Bethune and thus the usurper of the rightful emperor (or empress).
It's been a while since I read the Inheritance Cycle, so what I remember of the lore may be a little rusty. However, from what I read on Wikipedia, I don't think the Inheritance Cycle would work with an empire already ruling all of Alagaësia. With that said, the following is a tentative backstory for the Inheritance Cycle.

In Alagaësia, an order was originally created to bring peace between the countries on the continent. This group was known as the Dragon Riders, for they rode dragons, at the birth of which a bond was formed in accordance with a pact made between elves and dragons millennia earlier. Each Dragon Rider was the monarch of each country in Alagaësia (Brom was the emperor of Surda, the largest country in Alagaësia). The Council of Elder Riders, made up of the most experienced riders, wielded power as the de facto government of all of Alagaësia (kind of like the United Nations). The leader of this council is elected from the ranks of the elder riders upon the death of the previous leader, although this position is mostly ceremonial (all elder riders collectively wield governing power, kind of like the Swiss government).

However, one Dragon Rider named Galbatorix suffered the death of his dragon, Jarnunvösk, at the hands of a group of Urgals; the dragon's death pushed him to insanity. Denied another Dragon by the Council of Elder Riders, Galbatorix blamed the Council for the death of his dragon and sought to destroy the order. He made an alliance with an ambitious young rider, Morzan, and with his help slew another rider and took his next dragon captive, Shruikan. Using magic, he broke Shruikan's will and forced the dragon to serve him. Gathering more Riders to his cause, he created the Thirteen Forsworn and with their help took over Ilirea, the capital of the Broddring Kingdom, and destroyed Vroengard, the capital of the Dragon Riders. Galbatorix slew the Elders, their leader Vrael and took his sword, and most of the Dragon Riders. When the remaining dragons found out that the betrayal was aided by their own species, they collectively cast a spell on the Forsworn's dragons, which prevents them from being named.

Elder Rider Oromis and his Dragon Glaedr fled to Ellesmera, the capital of the elves' kingdom, while Morzan confronted his old friend Brom, slaying his Dragon. However, Morzan showed mercy to Brom, who later escaped. After the fall of the Riders, Galbatorix declared himself Lord Protector of Alagaësia (mirroring Malcolm Bethune's seizure of power) and conquered Surda and the surrounding countries. He then focused his efforts onto going after the elves and the dwarfs but he was thwarted.

Over the next century, several of the Forsworn were killed either from battle or power struggles, or committed suicide after going mad. Surda broke away and regained its independence, declaring Galbatorix's Protectorate illegitimate. Surda assembled an alliance with the other surviving kingdoms to free the countries occupied by the Protectorate, but this alliance proved unable to break a stalemate with Galbatorix. Fearing he would be a target for Galbatorix's agents as emperor of Surda, Brom faked his death and appointed a regent to carry out his will while he worked behind the scenes. He created the Varden, a rebellion meant to oppose the Protectorate within its own territories, killing three of the Forsworn including Morzan personally; and orchestrated the deaths of five more. After the birth of his son, Eragon, Brom hid in Carvahall to watch over him, preparing him for his future destiny as leader of the Varden, ruler of Surda, and the challenger to Galbatorix's rule.

I’m sorry for being a bit critical of some of your ideas, they are good. I’m just pointing out things that could be a bit better or would probably not work. I do think the Evil Republic would be architype for stories in the Reich, but it would probably make more sense if it was used for Sci fi stories rather than Fantasy ones.
I agree. The Evil Republic is already shaping up to be a common trope in Roman fiction, especially after Star Wars, but it would be hard to fit into fantasy stories because people usually associate the republican movement (in this universe) with the modern day (the Kanatan Corporate Republic, the dictatorship of Paullu, etc.). And because of Star Wars, most people would associate the Evil Republic with sci-fi.
I guess I can ask @zenphoenix this through; what would the Mass Effect games and the lore of the Dark Souls (plus Bloodbrone and Demon Souls) be like here. I hope that the ending of Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect Andromeda is better than OTL at least.:D And I do know that you said you haven’t played many games outside of PDX, but I’m just curious about the lore and story of the games so I think that could do.:)
I haven't played either of them, but some of my friends did play the original Mass Effect trilogy, and we thought the Mass Effect 3 ending was okay (braces for downvotes). I think Mass Effect would be largely the same, only with the Reich and the other Earth nations becoming the member states of the Systems Alliance. All characters would have German, Greek, Chinese, and Indian names instead. Also, the Reapers would be absurdly overpowered and lay waste to Earth, with the Systems Alliance clawing its way back to victory in the end. I haven't played and don't know much about Andromeda to say much about it, but I can say it won't be ridiculously buggy on release.

As for Dark Souls, the ties with Bloodborne and Demon Souls would be more obvious and actually confirmed by developers. Plus, more characters praise the sun, and sun praising is more inspired by Zunism.:p

As always, I'll add this post after I post the next update.

Unit 731, Part 4

Outside Schrottersburg – 9:30 PM

As she drove down the road, Angela’s phone rang. She picked it up.

“Hansen,” she said.

“Angie, let me tell you, you haven't seen the Reich till you've seen it from a train,” Anders said.

“Damn it, Anders, what happened?” Angela said.

“We're not going to make that station, Angie,” Anders said.

“Yeah, I figured that, do you have any idea where you are?” Angela said.

“No, but I'm sure they'll find us,” Anders said, “We probably lit up every spy satellite in this hemisphere, including the Sentinel ones, if there are any. It was the only thing to do, Angie. If you're right about what's on this car, an explosion outside a populated area would reduce the risks.”

“Anders, if I'm right, they're not going to want to find you, but you don't think I'm right, do you?” Angela said.

“We'll have to wait and see,” Anders said.

“We're not waiting for anything, Anders, we got to get you out of there as fast as we can,” Angela said.

“I'm fielding all offers and suggestions,” Anders said, “The timer reads 00:38:16.1. They're not going to come, are they?”

“I’ll call you back.” Angela hung up.

East Prussia

“I said you were making a mistake,” the red-haired man said.

“Tell me something,” Anders said, “You got on this train to kill Doctor Hong, then what? What were your orders then? Who are you protecting? Unless that bomb is as phony as you are, we've both got about half an hour to live. Is that part of the plan?”

“They don't make provisions for saving my life,” the red-haired man said.

“Well, what about that thing locked back there?” Anders said. “What provisions were made for saving its life?”

“I don't know, I wasn't expected to fail,” the red-haired man said.

“You know what it is, don't you?” Anders said. You're going to die for that thing. Is it important enough to die for? What is it, a plague carrier? A leper?

The red-haired man rolled his eyes and smirked. “We're both going to die in here. The difference is, I'm going to die quickly.”

“As an employee of the Imperial Security Bureau, you should know that a gunshot wound to the stomach is probably the most painful and the slowest way to die, but I'm not a very good shot and when I miss, I tend to miss low,” Anders said, grinning.

“It's a weapon,” the red-haired man said.

“A weapon?” Anders said. “What kind of a weapon?”

“Ask yourself, my friend,” the red-haired man said, “What could be more valuable than SVI or even Sentinel? More valuable than the atomic bomb or the most advanced biological weapons?”

“A standing army immune to the effects of those weapons,” Anders said, “That's what Doctor Hong did, didn't he? He came up with an immunity to those weapons, to radiation poisoning and chemical attacks... and he was trying to smuggle that thing back to China to share the science, only our government isn't in the mood to share, right? They've been doing experiments since World War II, tests on innocent civilians... but Hong succeeded where the others had failed. And that thing in there...That's no innocent civilian. It's not a leper either. It's an alien-human hybrid, isn't it?”

“Then again, if that were true, you'd have expected someone would have been here by now to save it, wouldn't you?” the red-haired man said.

Anders’ phone rang.

“Yeah,” Anders said.

“Anders?” Angela said. “I took your tape with me, and I think I've got something here. I think I may have a code for you. I'm watching Hong punch it into a keypad in one of the train cars.”

“You mean I might get my thirty marks’ worth after all?” Anders said. “What’s the code?”

“10133…” she read.

Anders ran the card through the sensor and input the numbers.

“Uh... I can't see the last number clearly,” Angela said, “His hand gets in the way. I know, I'm sorry, um... I think it's a one.”

“You think it's a one?” Anders said. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, yeah, I'm pretty sure,” Angela said.

Anders pressed one. The keypad beeped, and the lights turned green. He smiled, but before he could do anything, the red-haired man attacked him.

“Anders?!” Angela shouted over the phone.

After beating Anders senseless, the red-haired man straightened his suit and opened the door. He opened the train door and was promptly shot in the head by X, who walked over to Anders. X stared at him and then looked up at the bomb, which was down to a minute. X looked at the alien in the interior room. He then grabbed Anders and carried him out of the boxcar, walking away as it exploded.

X-Division, Constantinople – December 12, 1995, 10:00 AM

Angela walked into the X-Division office and found Anders on the phone. His face still bore the marks of the beating he took at the hands of the red-haired man.

“Okay, call me if you learn anything,” he said, hanging up, “Nothing, Angie. Not the rail operators, not the forestry bureau. Nobody knows what happened to that train car. Other than it exploded, of course.”

“Are there any satellite photos you can get your hands on?” Angela said.

“Senator Makarios hasn't returned my phone calls,” Anders said, “His, uh... his aides say he's on vacation or something.”

“Well, the administrator at the hospital where you were admitted said that someone had called and alerted them to your location,” Angela said, “Now, I went through the phone records myself, and the call was placed from a phone booth in Posen.”

“Did you locate the briefcase that Hong left on the train?” Angela said.

“Yeah, I got it right here,” Angela said, handing it to Anders.

“This doesn't look like the same briefcase,” Anders said.

“It's the one they gave me, the one they said you gave to the conductor,” Angela said.

Anders flipped through the notebook, seeing the writing was different.

“These aren't the same journals,” Anders said, “They've all been rewritten. They're getting away with it, Angie.”

“They've gotten away with it, Anders,” Angela said, “The bodies at the leper colony have all been removed.”

“I know what I saw on that train car,” Anders said, “It wasn't a leper and it wasn't human.”

“And I know what I saw at that research facility,” Angela said, “It was barely recognizable as human. Don't you see, Anders? You're doing their work for them. You're chasing aliens that aren't there, helping them to create a story to cover the shameful truth... and what they can't cover, they apologize for. Apology has become policy.”

“I, I don't need an apology for the lies,” Anders said, “I, I don't care about the fictions they create to cover their crimes. I want them accountable for what did happen. I want an apology for the truth.”

[REDACTED]

A Chinese man sat in a dark room, painstakingly translating Hong’s journal. A light flared from a match being lit. The smoking man raised the match to the cigarette in his mouth, lighting it. He took a deep drag, proud of his success, and then blew out the match.

Not gonna lie, I'm surprised the conductor has been allowed to live. I figured he saw too much for the powers that be to chance it.