The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well damn, that further complicates things. Olga's an enemy now :eek:

“…Colbert, tonight’s guests are the Lone Gunmen…”
So the trio finally came out of hiding eh? Good for them. Hopefully the Reich doesn't arrest them immediately despite all the chaos.

Reactions:
Welp... that's not good.

That was a nice if rather bitter scene with Anne in this update, it's nice to see Anne to get a chance to patch things up with her sister before 11/9. Let's hope Diana finally gets the chance to avenge her mother.

Olga apprently becoming brainwashed is certainly an interesting development, but I'm more concerned at how much ptsd poor Angela is going through at the moment. This is her worst nightmare resurfacing after thrifty years being dormant after all, not to mention this happening after Olga and Angela have become friends now. At least there will be a chance for that conflict between Angela and Olga that's been going on since Vienna to be resolved soon, so there's the bright side.
That would be cool. Or maybe Mel Gibson cameos as the original Beathan appearing as a force ghost or something.
Sounds reasonable. With all the force ghosts that the Hohenzollerns saw of their ancestors back in CK2, I wouldn't be suprised if other aristoi and dynatoi familes also had instances of the spirt of their late ancestors visting them and eventually wrote them down, even if they are dismissed by modern historians.
Would be fun, but how exactly are you going to explain the two names?
I was thinking of going with how we explained away Battlestar Galaticia's alternate names due to spinoffs and name changes due to ratings, but now I kinda like the idea of the name change for Monty Python being a joke that the group itself plays on its audience and as a possible refernce to the Battlestar Galatica name change, that might be funny.

In addition to the comedic interpretation of Stamford Bridge by Monty Python, I assume there would be a lot of historical dramas and epics the Pagan Resurgence and the formation of nations like Scandinavia and Russia in parallel to the Reich, possibly even overlaping with the Roman Crusades and having Pagan characters interact with Restoration figures like the two Fredrichs, Saint Gunhilda and Saint Wilhelmina, most likely as either allies or enemies of them. That might be cool.
I will also explain away the minarets I used for that picture of Hagia Sophia during Saint Wilhelmina's coronation. Since I stated that picture was taken in the modern day, that means it took place after 11/9 and the original's severe damaging in that attack. Afterward, it was rebuilt with Islamic and Jewish inspirations to symbolize the coming together of all three faiths in the Reich. The Temple of Jerusalem has a similar deal, although those influences were there from the beginning.
Oh, that's a nice idea, very interesting way to explain away the minarets indeed.

Since the Parthenon in TTL is still an active religious building due to never suffering collateral damage from Ottomon and Venetian wars and is also being used by other religions besides Christianity IIRC, how often is it used by the Hellenic pagan community nowadays since most of them are in Africa rather than Greece? I guess some of them would travel to Athens and other places in Greece for worship and cultural heritage, but I assume they'd mostly stick to Africa and focus on spreading their faith there.

Also, with Saint Gunhilda being represented by the Grand Norse Temple in Cordoba in the currency update from many pages ago, I wonder what the Norse in both Scadavia and Andalusia think of Saint Gunhilda themselves, because I feel like they'd see her as an honorable conqueror since they were left alone and mostly at peace after her campaigns. Speaking of Hispania's communities, I'm starting to feel like the Malian and Sephardi plurality in Portugal and Catalonia probaly had something to do with Saint Gunhilda as well, like Jewish and Malian veterans settling in Hispania after retiring from her legions, that might be a good explanation for those demographic changes following her crusade.

I don't know why, but talking about Gunhilda's campaign in Spain is starting to make me wonder about the odds of her fighting actual Valkyries in Spain, what with her being an angel and all. I feel like Gunhilda fighting supernatural Norse warriors or Worm Cultist would make for cool action scenes in potential flashbacks depending on if you do them or not, though this is just a small suggestion and nothing definitive.
That sounds like a great idea for fleshing out Saint Gunhilda's character. It would also show the flaws and disagreements between the two saints so they aren't both perfect people.
Indeed it would . It'd be nice to see some flashbacks to Saint Gunhilda's lifetime like we've gotten with Fredrich the Great. It'd be great to see her relationships with Saint Wilhelmina and Fredrich the Glorious get fleshed out and expanded on, showing the the flaws and disagreements of these characters while also showing them overcoming that to reinforce their positive traits and remain loyal to each other.

I'm now starting to wonder how much do you think the assassination of Fredrich the Glorious' parents by the cult had to do with his later interests in astronomy and the occult, because I feel like his research into heliocentrism and the Necronomicon probably had more to do with him trying to find a way to fight the Worm itself out of revenge rather than scientific interests and curiosity in mysticism, at least that's my theory.

Also, you have may forgotten to respond to my USR/UTR question from a few posts ago even tho you quoted it, just letting you know at this point. I'll quote it again here for the sake of convivence.
Great breakdown of the CSA and Eimerican Commune, through I'm also curios about the UTR/USR as well since you didn't go over them in this post. I know there was a short lived equalist Union of Mittleimerica that collapsed in the Mitteleimerica War, but I actually kinda see a lot of similarities between the UTR and UPM in some regards, namely being an artificial country formed as a compromise between the Union of Vinland and Commune of Michagan with no real identity of its own, a polarization between ethnic groups in its borders (Norse, Rhotinoshoni and others) and a reliance on a strong and advanced military to maintain its sovereignty and exert power beyond its borders, like the USR's successful naval invasions against the CSA, Mayapan and the UPM during WW2.
Regarding Saint Gunhilda's further characterizations, I like it, makes her more fleshed out, especially her relationship with Saint Willhelmina in her later years. I'd say she's an unofficial patron saint for the minorities in the Reich, the French and the Polish being one of them. Speaking of which, I'm almost done summarizing the Monsterverse, though ETA on it being posted is gonna be a while since I'm still brainstorming. With that said, I'm looking to try and have my take on what the Fate Series (And the Nasuverse as whole) will look like here considering all the magic stuff going on in that series, it's a rather messy and confusing series though so don't expect an entry (yet).
Very interesting. I admittedly haven't much of Fate myself, but I am looking forward to seeing your take on it. Take your time, I'm certain they'll be up to the quality of your other interludes.

Last edited:
That was a nice if rather bitter scene with Anne in this update, it's nice to see Anne to get a chance to patch things up with her sister before 11/9. Let's hope Diana finally gets the chance to avenge her mother.
Yeah, their decades of tension isn't going to be resolved in a few minutes. But Anne at least tried to make amends when she knew it was unlikely she'd make it out of this alive.
Olga apprently becoming brainwashed is certainly an interesting development, but I'm more concerned at how much ptsd poor Angela is going through at the moment. This is her worst nightmare resurfacing after thrifty years being dormant after all, not to mention this happening after Olga and Angela have become friends now. At least there will be a chance for that conflict between Angela and Olga that's been going on since Vienna to be resolved soon, so there's the bright side.
She's had to put up with many people close to her dying or leaving because of her over the last 30 years. Now Nick and Sarah's deaths reminded her of all of those people, and Olga's betrayal evoked memories of Vienna. She had been doing so well to move past that trauma in the 90s, first during her cancer and then when Olga joined, but this threatens to drag her back to 1985.
Sounds reasonable. With all the force ghosts that the Hohenzollerns saw of their ancestors back in CK2, I wouldn't be suprised if other aristoi and dynatoi familes also had instances of the spirt of their late ancestors visting them and eventually wrote them down, even if they are dismissed by modern historians.
I'm not sure about that though. I'd certainly think movies would portray force ghosts for some historical figures due to the legends of the Hohenzollern ones, but I'm not so sure about actual force ghosts for non-Hohenzollerns (aside from a few rare examples for important characters). I've been recently viewing the force ghosts as similar to an Avatar's past lives in Avatar The Last Airbender, and keeping it mostly unique to the Hohenzollerns keeps it special.
I was thinking of going with how we explained away Battlestar Galaticia's alternate names due to spinoffs and name changes due to ratings, but now I kinda like the idea of the name change for Monty Python being a joke that the group itself plays on its audience and as a possible refernce to the Battlestar Galatica name change, that might be funny.
That sounds like something they'd do.
In addition to the comedic interpretation of Stamford Bridge by Monty Python, I assume there would be a lot of historical dramas and epics the Pagan Resurgence and the formation of nations like Scandinavia and Russia in parallel to the Reich, possibly even overlaping with the Roman Crusades and having Pagan characters interact with Restoration figures like the two Fredrichs, Saint Gunhilda and Saint Wilhelmina, most likely as either allies or enemies of them. That might be cool.
The Pagan Resurgence would be a very popular era to depict in popular culture. Each country would have their own spin on what happened, portraying other countries' historical figures in different lights.
Since the Parthenon in TTL is still an active religious building due to never suffering collateral damage from Ottomon and Venetian wars and is also being used by other religions besides Christianity IIRC, how often is it used by the Hellenic pagan community nowadays since most of them are in Africa rather than Greece? I guess some of them would travel to Athens and other places in Greece for worship and cultural heritage, but I assume they'd mostly stick to Africa and focus on spreading their faith there.
I guess there would be some religious rituals held there for devotees of Athena, but it's more of a museum for all faiths these days. Most of the Hellenic pagans are still in Africa.
Also, with Saint Gunhilda being represented by the Grand Norse Temple in Cordoba in the currency update from many pages ago, I wonder what the Norse in both Scadavia and Andalusia think of Saint Gunhilda themselves, because I feel like they'd see her as an honorable conqueror since they were left alone and mostly at peace after her campaigns. Speaking of Hispania's communities, I'm starting to feel like the Malian and Sephardi plurality in Portugal and Catalonia probaly had something to do with Saint Gunhilda as well, like Jewish and Malian veterans settling in Hispania after retiring from her legions, that might be a good explanation for those demographic changes following her crusade.
Saint Gunhilda managed to establish a peace between Norse newcomers and the native Spaniards, which earned her the respect of the Norse without turning the Spaniards against the Reich. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I imagine that is how the Reich took Hispania. And the demographic changes that happened afterward are the result of the Norse and native communities intermarrying and giving rise to a completely new culture. The Malians and Normans were given privileged positions in the new Hispanian local governments as thanks for their service in Saint Gunhilda's armies. The Sephardim were already there (since in real life they are Jews with origins in Spain I think), and they thrived thanks to their protections by Friedrich the Great's and Friedrich the Glorious' anti-pogrom laws. After several generations they became a plurality in eastern Hispania, where the province's main commercial centers are.
I don't know why, but talking about Gunhilda's campaign in Spain is starting to make me wonder about the odds of her fighting actual Valkyries in Spain, what with her being an angel and all. I feel like Gunhilda fighting supernatural Norse warriors or Worm Cultist would make for cool action scenes in potential flashbacks depending on if you do them or not, though this is just a small suggestion and nothing definitive.
That would be cool if I ever do a Saint Gunhilda flashback in the future.
Indeed it would . It'd be nice to see some flashbacks to Saint Gunhilda's lifetime like we've gotten with Fredrich the Great. It'd be great to see her relationships with Saint Wilhelmina and Fredrich the Glorious get fleshed out and expanded on, showing the the flaws and disagreements of these characters while also showing them overcoming that to reinforce their positive traits and remain loyal to each other.
I've just added a discussion about the saints' disagreements in the school arc, but I'll certainly think about a flashback to that time. Friedrich the Great and Friedrich the Glorious literally have only one chapter each covering their entire reigns, and I definitely want to talk more about them in the future.
I'm now starting to wonder how much do you think the assassination of Fredrich the Glorious' parents by the cult had to do with his later interests in astronomy and the occult, because I feel like his research into heliocentrism and the Necronomicon probably had more to do with him trying to find a way to fight the Worm itself out of revenge rather than scientific interests and curiosity in mysticism, at least that's my theory.
I never really thought about that. I think it would be reasonable to assume the loss of his parents at a young age would spur him to research ways to counter the cult and the Worm itself, with the research as a cover for his court. I've been meaning to work in some of the CK2 alchemists' guild quests into the story somehow, ideally for one of the early Kaisers. I particularly want to cover the one where you go on a sea voyage to Africa or somewhere else. Perhaps Friedrich the Glorious went on such a voyage to get more information on the Worm or destroy one of the cultists' strongholds.
Also, you have may forgotten to respond to my USR/UTR question from a few posts ago even tho you quoted it, just letting you know at this point. I'll quote it again here for the sake of convivence.
Oh, sorry about that. I'll answer it below.
Great breakdown of the CSA and Eimerican Commune, through I'm also curios about the UTR/USR as well since you didn't go over them in this post. I know there was a short lived equalist Union of Mittleimerica that collapsed in the Mitteleimerica War, but I actually kinda see a lot of similarities between the UTR and UPM in some regards, namely being an artificial country formed as a compromise between the Union of Vinland and Commune of Michagan with no real identity of its own, a polarization between ethnic groups in its borders (Norse, Rhotinoshoni and others) and a reliance on a strong and advanced military to maintain its sovereignty and exert power beyond its borders, like the USR's successful naval invasions against the CSA, Mayapan and the UPM during WW2.
The UTR's core seven republics were established in territories Kanata and the Meskwaki Empire fought over for decades, and its population is evenly divided between the Norse and native Eimericans. When Kanata fell to equalism, it split off due to its native populations rebelling, but they were unable to unite with the new Meskwaki equalist regime because it was too unstable. By the time the Eimerican Commune had reunited the old Meskwaki empire, the USR had established itself as an independent power, organizing its rebel militias into a military with which to protect itself. It seized much of the old Meskwaki navy for itself and used it during the war to conquer more territories further south. Both the Meskwaki and Norse equalists were in no position to take it back. So in a way it's a lot like the UPM, an artificial country with multiple ethnic/cultural groups which became a regional military power to protect itself.

Reactions:
The Truth is Out There, Part 9

“The same could be said of a variety of other functions, from public affairs to legislative affairs. Now, maybe we need many of them, but I have a strong suspicion that we need fewer than we have, and we're going to take a good, hard look and find out. Bureau headquarters are hardly the only scenes of redundant bureaucracy. Healthcare is another. Each service branch has its own surgeon general and medical operation. At the bureau level, four different agencies claim some degree of control over the delivery of military healthcare. Consider this snapshot. One out of every five officers in the Kaiserliche Marine is a physician. That's not to single out the Marine or to suggest too many doctors wear uniforms. The Marine and Imperial Marines' forward deployments generate unique medical needs. Rather, it's to say that some of those needs, especially where they may involve general practice or specialties unrelated to combat, might be more efficiently delivered by the private sector. And all of them would likely be more efficiently delivered with fewer overlapping bureaucracies. We've begun to consolidate health care delivery under our management activity. Over the next two years we will reform the procurement of care from the private sector. I've asked the military bureaus and Personnel and Readiness organization to complete a revamping of the military health system within two fiscal years. The Bureau also has three exchange systems and a separate commissary system, all providing similar goods and services. The Reichstag Budget Office estimates that consolidating them could save some 300 million marks. I've asked that we promptly explore the use of tools, like consolidation and contracting, to ensure our uniformed personnel and their families get the very best. The Diet has mandated that we reduce headquarter staffs by 15 percent over the next two years. I have ordered at least an overall 15 percent reduction from levels two years ago in the numerous headquarter staffs overall throughout the bureau. It's not just the law, it's a good idea, and we're going to get it done. It's the right thing to do.”

-Rudolf Scharping

Nicomedia High Containment Facility - 3:00 PM

Anders woke up in a high-tech prison cell. The door was made of reinforced glass. The lock was an electronic hand scanner. The walls, floor, and ceiling were made of smooth white steel with lights embedded in every square foot.

The next thing he noticed was he wasn't alone in here. Diana lay sprawled over in the corner, still unconscious. There was another man in the back. His hair was gray and unkempt, while his beard was long and his face was dusty. He wore a suit, but it had been torn and wrinkled from years of neglect. He was crouched at the wall, whispering incomprehensibly at it. The wall in front of him was covered in etchings he had made.

“the truth”

“we are nothing”

“it was not a war, it was pest control”

“through the pitch dark comes a cleansing fire”

Anders rushed over to Diana, who stirred awake.

"What...where are we?" she said.

"We're at the black site in Nicomedia," Anders said.

"Nicomedia?" Diana said.

“Olga's brainwashed," Anders said.

"I should've seen that one coming," Diana said.

The door opened, and Olga stepped inside, followed by Heidelberg. Both carried what appeared to be cattle prods.

"I see you've met our guest," Heidelberg said, "For the former leader of the Syndicate, poor Strughold couldn't seem to handle the real truth. And then he somehow picked up on stuff even we don’t even know what to make of. He’s truly gone mad."

"You again," Anders said.

"Yes, me again," Heidelberg said, "After all these years, I finally have the upper hand. Here you are as my prisoner. And unlike last time, there is nobody coming to save you."

"Follow us," Olga said.

“Wow, so original,” Diana said, rolling her eyes.

Anders and Diana reluctantly followed them down the hallway, leaving Strughold in the cell. They took an elevator up to a command center filled with computers and TVs. Pavel sat watching news on the TVs, holding a glass of wine.

“…for Merkel to resign…”

“…pressure is mounting…”

“…of the government is imminent…”

“…Baudet expected to speak before the Diet…”

"What is this, a Bauer movie?" Diana said.

"I mean, we’ve got a crazy villain with a stupid catchphrase and a ridiculous superweapon," Anders said.

"What?" Pavel said. "No! I've been waiting for this moment for 14 years, and you have the nerve to quip?"

"Well, you should at least expect that, Pavel," Diana said.

"Well, your quipping is useless," Pavel said, "Because today you will witness the submission of the nations of the world to my rule! With SVI at my side, Sentinel will unite the world under my total domination!"

"Wow, lame," Anders said, "Not even original."

"Are you serious?" Pavel said. "I've been working on this speech for years!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, working," Diana said, "How many superhero movies did you watch? Oh wait, Marvel doesn't even do these tropes anymore. Everybody knows you don't monologue in the middle of executing your plan."

"Are you really trying to stall me?" Pavel said. "What good does that serve? You're captured and in the middle of my base. There's nothing you can accomplish!"

"Not really," Anders said, “We know everything about your plan. We’re just saving you time.”

“Saving me time?” Pavel said. “Good idea. Then you wouldn’t mind if Agent Kirova followed through on her programming. The same one the Syndicate gave to her father forty years ago and to her during the war. The one we developed into the super soldier programming.”

“Was that supposed to be a revelation?” Diana said. “A plot twist? You’re a lame villain.”

“Really lame,” Anders said, “We figured that out long ago.”

“What happened to you?” Diana said. “You weren’t like this before Vienna.”

“Don’t bother, Di,” Anders said, “He’ll just monologue again. Waste everyone’s time.”

“What—no—I—what?!” Pavel said. “Damnit! You’re just stalling for time! Agent Kirova, go kill them now!”

“Nah,” Olga casually said.

Pavel stared at her.

“What?!” he said.

“They’re right,” Olga said, “They were stalling. But they didn’t really have to.”

Heidelberg drew his gun. “WHAT?!”

Olga pulled out her gun and shot Heidelberg in the head.

“I was never brainwashed,” she said, “I was only pretending to. Di helped me out.”

“That’s what yesterday’s talk was?” Anders said.

“Yep,” Diana said, “I did see all of this coming.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” Anders said. “Did I have to be pistol-whipped?!”

“It was part of the plan!” Olga said. "We needed your reaction to be genuine!"

“That hurt!” Anders said.

“Well, this is unexpected,” Pavel said, “But still, you’re only delaying the inevitable.”

Olga shot at Pavel, only for the bullets to be stopped by bulletproof glass. Pavel got up and left the room.

“You can’t stop me now,” Pavel’s voice echoed over a loudspeaker, “I’ve already activated SVI once more. In just half an hour, I will—”

Olga shot out the loudspeaker.

“Did you really have to hit me that hard?” Anders complained.

“Yeah, I did,” Olga said, “Makes it believable.”

“You agreed to this?” Anders said.

“I didn’t expect her to actually use the sedative,” Diana said.

Olga took Heidelberg’s gun and gave it to Diana.

“What about me?” Anders said.

“Wait,” Olga said.

She took the gun back and gave it to Anders.

“Forgot about your part, Di,” Olga said.

“Right,” Diana said.

She sat at the SVI console and began typing. The doors to the command center slammed shut and locked with a resounding thud.

“Haven’t done this in a long time,” she said, “Apparently they haven’t changed the admin password in years.”

“Where are Angie and Annie?” Anders said.

“On their way,” Olga said.

---

Elsewhere in the facility, Angela paced around the edges of her cell, while Annie lay impatiently on the floor. The lock beeped and disengaged, and Angela pushed the door open.

“Finally,” Annie said.

“It’s about time,” Angela said, “You got it ready?”

Annie took out a pill she had hidden up her sleeve.

“Swallow that, and it should be enough, if what Dad said is true,” she said.

Angela swallowed the pill. She coughed and clutched her head as her heart beat faster. She leaned against a wall to concentrate again, her body temperature rising and her vision turning deep red. After a few seconds, she returned to normal, only she could now feel the power surging through her once again, if only briefly.

“Mind telling me what all this Cortexiphan is about?” Annie said.

“You’ll see,” Angela said, “You’ll see.”

• 1Like
Reactions:
You know Pavel had this whole speech memorized, meticulously planned out. Alas, his audience wasn't very receptive.

You know Pavel had this whole speech memorized, meticulously planned out. Alas, his audience wasn't very receptive.
Maybe he could've avoided this if he had just said his catchphrase...

Oh man I did see that one coming and apparently neither did Pavel. Dianna's mother and Olga's parents ought to be proud of what they just did. And I love the quips they make on Pavel. You know Anders and Dianna are through with the bullshit. Also Strughold still lives eh? Too bad he's a lunatic now. All for the best.

So all it takes now is stopping Pavel once and for all eh? Tough fight ahead.

Oh man I did see that one coming and apparently neither did Pavel. Dianna's mother and Olga's parents ought to be proud of what they just did. And I love the quips they make on Pavel. You know Anders and Dianna are through with the bullshit. Also Strughold still lives eh? Too bad he's a lunatic now. All for the best.

So all it takes now is stopping Pavel once and for all eh? Tough fight ahead.
Especially Diana, who remembers who Pavel used to be long ago.

Looks like things aren't going well for Pavel at all lately, first he gets blind sighted by Irene and tricked by Olga, now he can't even do a villainous monologue correctly, goes to show how far he has fallen recently.

I may have called Olga working with Daina to pretend to be brainwashed in the last update, but still well played, she really is a troll. Still owes Angela an apology after this, especially for the ptsd she may have accidentally triggered.

I'm not sure about that though. I'd certainly think movies would portray force ghosts for some historical figures due to the legends of the Hohenzollern ones, but I'm not so sure about actual force ghosts for non-Hohenzollerns (aside from a few rare examples for important characters). I've been recently viewing the force ghosts as similar to an Avatar's past lives in Avatar The Last Airbender, and keeping it mostly unique to the Hohenzollerns keeps it special.
Fair enough, though it does make me wonder about the exceptions you hinted at since Angela and Gavrilo were able see force ghosts of Elisabeth Alexandra and Franz Ferdinand despite not being Hohenzollerns themselves. Then again, the force ghosts Angela and Gavrilo saw were limited to deceased Hohenzollerns and they were close associates of those royals in their lifetime, so I guess we could limit the appearance Hohenzollern force ghosts to anyone they had a special connection to while they were alive in addition to blood relatives.

I know we've discussed Blackadder a few times here before, but I think I might offer my own thoughts on what each series would be like to supplement the ideas others like TWR and Brigadier44 have mentioned even if there won't be a summary for it. Hope you like this outline I came up with, hope they do justice to the Blackadder ideas from previous discussions.
Working with @TWR97 's idea of having the Blackadder being from Cherson in the Crimea, I thin the first series would be set during the Roman-Mongol war over Taurica in the Thirteenth Century. The second could be set during Fredricha Augusta I's reign and some fighting in the Crimea during the Fifty Years war, through the First Commonwealth War would work as well. The Third series could be political intrigue and wacky hijinks between nobility involved in the Pragmatic Sanction. I think the Fourth Series would be the same as OTL only set during the Lithuanian campaigns in 1915 instead of 1917 and the cast charging off to die in either Vilnius or Gordno, but there would be fifth or sixth series set during WW2 and WW3 like Brigadier44 suggested, likely involving the Blackadder family being expelled from Taurcia by the Soviets and having to adjust to the Ottonian System before returning to Cherson and finding the theme economically devastated and infested with Cartel related crime after WW3 in line with the usual dark comedy of Blackadder. There could also be mini specials about a Blackadder witnessing events like the anarchy or dealing with imcomptent Kaisers like Wilhelm or Reinhard, since those reigns basically write themselves when it comes to joke material.:p

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Looks like things aren't going well for Pavel at all lately, first he gets blind sighted by Irene and tricked by Olga, now he can't even do a villainous monologue correctly, goes to show how far he has fallen recently.
After all that buildup for him as an intimidating villain, X-Division doesn't even buy that one bit.
I may have called Olga working with Daina to pretend to be brainwashed in the last update, but still well played, she really is a troll. Still owes Angela an apology after this, especially for the ptsd she may have accidentally triggered.
Angela may have known the plan all along since she snuck the Cortexiphan pill in with her. Ironically only Anders was left in the dark.
Fair enough, though it does make me wonder about the exceptions you hinted at since Angela and Gavrilo were able see force ghosts of Elisabeth Alexandra and Franz Ferdinand despite not being Hohenzollerns themselves. Then again, the force ghosts Angela and Gavrilo saw were limited to deceased Hohenzollerns and they were close associates of those royals in their lifetime, so I guess we could limit the appearance Hohenzollern force ghosts to anyone they had a special connection to while they were alive in addition to blood relatives.
Angela's force ghost of Elisabeth Alexandra may have been something her mind made up to warn her of her brainwashing, but there's no excuse for Gavrilo. I'll definitely limit the force ghosts to Hohenzollerns, possibly to just Kaisers and their closest family members, and very rarely to people associated to them.

Then again, I did show force ghosts for Anne's parents and Tobias during 11/9...though those could be figments of Anne's imagination in her final moments.
I know we've discussed Blackadder a few times here before, but I think I might offer my own thoughts on what each series would be like to supplement the ideas others like TWR and Brigadier44 have mentioned even if there won't be a summary for it. Hope you like this outline I came up with, hope they do justice to the Blackadder ideas from previous discussions.
Working with @TWR97 's idea of having the Blackadder being from Cherson in the Crimea, I thin the first series would be set during the Roman-Mongol war over Taurica in the Thirteenth Century. The second could be set during Fredricha Augusta I's reign and some fighting in the Crimea during the Fifty Years war, through the First Commonwealth War would work as well. The Third series could be political intrigue and wacky hijinks between nobility involved in the Pragmatic Sanction. I think the Fourth Series would be the same as OTL only set during the Lithuanian campaigns in 1915 instead of 1917 and the cast charging off to die in either Vilnius or Gordno, but there would be fifth or sixth series set during WW2 and WW3 like Brigadier44 suggested, likely involving the Blackadder family being expelled from Taurcia by the Soviets and having to adjust to the Ottonian System before returning to Cherson and finding the theme economically devastated and infested with Cartel related crime after WW3 in line with the usual dark comedy of Blackadder. There could also be mini specials about a Blackadder witnessing events like the anarchy or dealing with imcomptent Kaisers like Wilhelm or Reinhard, since those reigns basically write themselves when it comes to joke material.:p
There could also be one based on the "2.5th" Commonwealth War in the 17th century, where the Reich, Meskwaki Empire, Mali, and Triple Alliance were involved in the Kanatan and Nsoralan wars of independence but the alliance networks were so confusing it led to the sides constantly changing and the Reich and Triple Alliance fighting on the same side at one point. Would make for a fun Blackadder sketch.

The Truth is Out There, Part 10

“To transform the Bureau, we must look outside this building as well. Consequently, the Senior Executive Council will scour the Bureau for functions that could be performed better and more cheaply through commercial outsourcing. Here, too, we must ask tough questions. Here are a few: Why is Bureau one of the last organizations around that still cuts its own checks? When an entire industry exists to run warehouses efficiently, why do we own and operate so many of our own? At bases around the world, why do we pick up our own garbage and mop our own floors, rather than contracting services out, as many businesses do? And surely we can outsource more computer systems support. Maybe we need agencies for some of those functions. Indeed, I know we do. Perhaps a public-private partnership would make sense for others, and I don't doubt at least a few could be outsized -- outsourced altogether. Like the private sector's best-in-class companies, the bureau should aim for excellence in functions that are either directly related to warfighting or must be performed by the Bureau. But in all other cases, we should seek suppliers who can provide these non-core activities efficiently and effectively. The Senior Executive Council will begin a review of the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, the Defense Logistics Agency and Defense Information Service Agency. Harnessing the expertise of the private sector is about something more, however. The Bureau of Defense was once an engine of technological innovation. Today the private sector is leading the way in many respects, yet the Bureau makes it harder and harder for us to keep up and for those who do keep up to do business with the Bureau. Consider that it takes today twice as long as it did in 1975 to produce a new weapon system, at a time when new generations of technology are churned out every 18 to 24 months. That virtually guarantees that weapon systems are at least a generation old technologically the day they're deployed. Meanwhile, our process and regulations have become so burdensome that many businesses have simply chosen not to do business with the Bureau. To transform the Bureau, we must take advantage of the private sector's expertise. I've asked the members of the Senior Executive Council to streamline the acquisition process and spur innovation in our traditional supplier base. Finally, and perhaps most important, we must forge a new compact with war-fighters and those who support them, one that honors their service and understands their needs and encourages them to make national defense a life-long career.”

-Rudolf Scharping

3:10 PM (20 minutes to SVI activation)

Angela and Annie walked down the hallway and stopped in front of a locked door. Annie held up her hand, but Angela stopped her.

“No, let me,” she said.

She concentrated and then mentally wrenched the door off its hinges.

“Okay, when did this happen?” Annie said.

“Maybe four, five years ago?” Angela said. “But really your dad’s been experimenting on me since I was a kid or something.”

“Why was I not told?” Annie said.

“Maybe because you left us no way to contact you?” Angela said. "And he has more than made up for it in various ways?"

“So you can just take the pill and it happens?” Annie said.

“No, the pill’s only temporary, drawing on what little Cortexiphan remains in my system from last time, so we’ll have to move quickly,” Angela said.

Alarms blared as Angela and Annie continued down the hallway. Several guards rounded the corner and aimed their guns at them. Annie snapped her fingers, and the guns flew out of the soldiers’ hands and then shot them. The guns flew over to Annie and surrounded her, reloading and aiming themselves. Angela grabbed one gun out of the air.

“How long have you been practicing?” Angela said.

“Long enough,” Annie said, “Okay, take a left here. Continue until you reach an elevator.”

They entered an empty lab. Medical equipment sat on desks next to operating tables. Dead bodies lay on the operating tables. All of them were in varying stages of autopsy. Some were connected to IV drips or other machinery which drew their blood.

“What’s going on here?” Annie said.

Angela looked closer at a body.

“This man…he looks familiar,” Angela said, “Check the nametag.”

“There isn’t one,” Annie said, “Just a number.”

Angela looked at another body.

“Wait a minute,” she said, “I know this guy as well.”

She picked up a file and read the first page.

“These are Cortexiphan subjects,” she said, “From the Nantes trials. They were doing experiments on them.”

“For what?” Annie said.

“Maybe to give their powers to super soldiers?” Angela said. “I don’t know.”

“Come on, let’s go,” Annie said, “We got a plan to follow.”

“No, I have to be sure,” Angela said, “I need to make sure they’re not here as well.”

“Who?” Annie said.

“Nick and Sarah,” Angela said.

“Come on, Angie, we don’t have time for this,” Annie said, “If we pull this off, you won’t have to worry about them.”

Angela sighed. She turned to follow Annie out of the lab, but she noticed something lying on a nearby table. Picking up her Walkman, she smiled to herself and played some music.

She finally caught up with Annie just as they entered another hallway. Soldiers ran toward them from both ends. Angela and Annie stood back to back and waited for the soldiers to approach. Angela concentrated hard, while guns swirled around Annie. As Annie’s guns opened fire, decimating the soldiers charging at her, the lights sparked and exploded, and the walls rumbled and cracked before collapsing, burying the soldiers rushing at Angela. The hallway fell quiet, except for the occasional rustling of rubble and the alarms blaring off in the distance. Angela sighed and sat against the wall, trying to catch her breath.

“Wow,” Annie said, “Just wow.”

“I feel like I could eat a horse,” Angela said.

Annie helped her back to her feet.

“We’ll eat later,” Annie said, “For now, we need to meet up with the others.”

“Of course,” Angela said.

She took a gun and followed Annie down the hallway. As they approached a door, it opened, and several super soldiers walked in, led by Billy.

“I’ll cover you,” Annie said, firing her guns.

Angela reached the pile of rubble blocking the other side and concentrated hard. She flung pieces of rubble at the super soldiers, pinning them against the wall.

“Alright, let’s go,” Angela said.

3:15 PM (15 minutes to SVI activation)

“…utterly failed…”

“…left crippled in the wake of…”

“…the support of her own CMU…”

“…of no confidence was held…”

“…against all odds, it appears the chancellor has held on to her…”

In the command center, Olga sat in Pavel’s comfy chair, casually watching the news. Anders impatiently paced around the room, while Diana continued typing on the console, which beeped negatively.

“Come on!” she said. “This is ridiculous!”

“Sequence cannot be terminated,” the computer intoned.

“Like hell!” Diana said.

“How much time do we have?” Olga said.

“Fifteen minutes?” Diana said.

“Can’t you see ahead to speed things up?” Olga said.

“It doesn’t work that way!” Diana said.

“Where’re Angie and Annie?” Anders said.

“On their way,” Olga said.

On cue, another explosion rippled through the facility, shaking the floor under their feet and loosening dust from cracks in the ceiling. Olga turned off all of the TVs and handed a flash drive to Anders.

“Why don’t you make yourself useful?” she said.

“I am!” Anders said, holding up his gun. “In case anybody comes in!”

“You’d be immediately pulverized by any super soldier,” Olga said, “I’ll handle them. I need you to check on the failsafe Irene told us about.”

The door swung open, and Angela and Annie ran in, both panting and wheezing.

“You’re finally here,” Anders said.

“No time to talk!” Annie said. “We’ve got a bunch of super soldiers right behind us!”

She looked back at the doorway and telekinetically shut the doors just as Billy and several other super soldiers reached it. They banged on the door, but they couldn’t get through the thick metal.

“By the way, where’s Pavel?” Angela said.

“He fled,” Olga said, “Coward. Di, how are we on SVI?”

“It’s still not working!” Diana said.

“LOOK AHEAD FOR THE ANSWER!” Olga said.

“IT DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY!” Diana said.

The door began denting. Annie pointed her guns at the door in preparation. Angela staggered over to Pavel's chair, and Olga made way just as she fell into it and let out a loud sigh.

“I’m drained,” she muttered.

The super soldiers continued pounding on the door. The metal bent and warped. Annie concentrated and warped the metal back into shape, but it was clear she was also running out of energy quickly.

“Anders, don’t just stand there, do what I told you to do!” Olga said.

She joined Annie at the door, while Anders wheeled Angela over to Diana and placed his gun in her hands. He then rushed into the side room and plugged the flash drive into the console. The computer beeped and flashed, slowly booting up. The machines around it also whirred as they powered up.

“What do I do?” Anders said.

“Just wait!” Olga said. "It should work, if the Lone Gunmen know what they're doing..."

Annie finally lost her concentration. The door burst open, and Billy and the super soldiers stormed in. Annie’s guns fired, temporarily slowing them down, but their wounds quickly healed and closed up. Billy pushed on through the hail of bullets, though. Olga charged at Billy, a knife in her hand ready to strike. Billy may have been bigger and stronger, but Olga was faster and had a lifetime of experience behind her. Billy couldn’t land a single hit. However, Billy continued advancing, and Olga kept stepping back, getting closer to Diana’s console.

“Break out of it!” Olga said. “This isn’t you, Billy!”

Billy momentarily paused, his fists stopping inches from Olga’s face. For a second, it looked like he was resisting. But then his face grew cold again, and the blows resumed. Olga gracefully swept under Billy's legs, kicking his ankles and knocking him off balance. As Billy slowly fell, Olga redirected her spinning momentum into a roll, which she used to stand up. Billy staggered away from her, but he soon recovered and charged again. Olga stepped aside, letting Billy's momentum carry him past her. Then she delivered a gut punch, followed by a strike in the back with her other free hand. This let her spin around Billy, which she used to slam him against a console, the computer crushed under his weight. He was knocked out cold. Diana spun around in her chair and shot at the other super soldiers, while Annie telekinetically clubbed them with her empty guns, although she was clearly getting tired.

"Is it ready yet?" Diana said. "We need it now!"

"Any time now!" Olga said.

Angela clutched her head and leaned back in her chair. The super soldiers battered away Annie's guns and continued advancing. The console beeped and displayed a welcome message. A red button on the keyboard lit up. Anders immediately pushed it. A second set of alarms went off, and the super soldiers suddenly stopped. They clutched their heads and collapsed. Annie also collapsed, her guns clattering to the floor. Before she lost consciousness, she tried controlling the guns again, but they didn't respond. Angela likewise lost consciousness in her chair. Olga winced a little. Anders immediately rushed over to Annie, cradling her in his arms.

"Annie!" he said. "No, please, no, please be okay..."

He checked for a pulse and found one. He sighed with relief.

"Oh, thank goodness," he said.

Olga staggered over to Diana, who was checking Angela.

"How is she?" she said.

"She seems fine," Diana said, “It seems the signal may have had a negative reaction on them. Annie because of whatever the Jotun did to her, and Angie because of the Cortexiphan.”

“They did incorporate some of Walter’s research into the super soldiers,” Anders said.

The computer beeped. A map of the Reich appeared on a screen, with several targets locked onto major cities and military bases. A countdown for five minutes appeared in the corner. Diana turned back to the computer and continued typing.

“Damnit!” she said. “It’s still not stopping!”

A live video feed appeared on a nearby computer, showing Pavel’s face.

“Oh come on!” Olga said. “I thought I got rid of that!”

“It’s no use,” Pavel said, “There’s absolutely no way to stop the countdown. I made sure of it! Soon the Kaiser himself will bend the knee!”

“Why don’t you shut up?!” Anders shot the computer, destroying the screen.

He looked at Annie, who remained motionless. He helped her into a chair and ran over to Diana and Olga, who uneasily watched the countdown.

“Is there anything you can do?” Anders said.

“I’m…not sure,” Diana said.

“Well, what do we do then?” Olga said.

“I don’t know,” Diana said, "I...really don't know..."

“Well, we have to try something!” Anders said.

One minute remained on the timer…

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's a hell of a cliffhanger right there.

Angela better get that horse to eat as a reward for all this.

Reactions:
Nice to see Annie avoid death this time unlike all her clones or VR copies and what not. Who knows, maybe Annie will get to make it out of this in one piece, Anders deserves to see that at least.

I see Merkel is not doing well when it comes to the political fallout of recent events, makes sense given how the extent of the Sentinel conspiracy being leaked would be a big scandal for any admiration currently in office. The political climate of the Reich will certainly be very interesting by the time we get to the Forum story, Can't wait to see all the complicated political intrigue that will happen in the Forum arc as a result of X-Divison's legacy.

So I was reading the CK2 chapters again and I've just stumbled onto this piece of obscure yet fascinating piece of lore that I'll quote here, there's also the Mexica Crusade of the 1430 that the European
Elsewhere in the world, unknown to the Kaiser, those Acatls who were left behind when Iceland fell scattered throughout Europe and Asia. Some settled in Scandinavia and swore fealty to sympathetic Norsemen in places like Aland and Gotland. Others settled in Mauretania, where the West African king welcomed them. Still others went even further east, settling in India, and some Acatl children were raised as Hindus and Rajputs. On the other side of the ocean, Huey-tlatoani Tlacaelel died in 1435, soon after usurping the throne of the Mexica, and he was succeeded by his son Tochtli.
I wonder what ever happened to the descendants of these Actal exiles or the descendants of Mexica settlers and refugees who stuck around in Europe and parts of Africa and Asia after Sunset Invasion? I don’t know about India, but I assume the Mexica communities in Gotland, Aland and Mauretania were left alone by local authorities even as the Reich and presumably Scandinavia suppressed Mexicaytol and Mexica communities were suppressed in the mainland. With Aland now under Russian control and being borded by multiple cultural spheres, I can see the island being very multi ethnic and religious nowadays, with Mexica, Norse, Fins, Slavs, Baltic and a few Christians living near each other, tho some of these groups may have experienced a few deportations under the Soviet era.

Since you said that Baghdad was sacked and a few libraries and universities were burned during a Roman-Persian war in the 16th century in EU4, that gives me some thoughts about the connections between Hikma university and the old House of Wisdom that I think would be a cool piece of lore. Perhaps the librarians of the House of Wisdom and the students and staff of several other schools decided to work with Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities to preserve the city's accumulated knowledge when they realized the city was about to fall to the Persians, making sure most of the House of Wisdom books, the catalogues of several other libraries and even some works of art were safely smuggled out of the city before it could be burned by the Persians, with said books later being transferred back to Baghdad when it recovered from the sack and the House of Wisdom was rebuilt as Hikma Unversity, now open to everyone regardless of religion or creed.

Since we have a Frisian character in the form of Baudet becoming a major protagonist in the next arc, what do people in Frisa think of the reign of Kaiser Martin II and his promotion of Dutch culture? I get that most Romans probably don’t think much of Martin II other than his assassination by Bethune that lead into the Anarchy, but I can see Frisians holding him in high regard as an cultural icon due to due to the brief time in the spotlight the Dutch got as as an culture almost equal to that of Germans, Greeks and maybe the Italians, though that obviously would come to thanks to the Anarchy and the Fifty Years War following Martin’s death.

Speaking of Anarchy, aside from sparking off the Iconoclast movement and indirectly starting the Fifty Years War, I'm how the Anarchy and its impact would be seen from a historiographic and cultural perspective and what kinds of debates that historians would have about its causes and affects. At the very least, I can see most historians viewing it as the dividing moment between the Renaissance of the Fiftieth and Sixteenth centuries and the beginning of the General Crisis of the 17th century and maybe even a possible motivation for the rise of absolutism during the Reign of Women due to future Kaiserins fearing anything like the Anarchy or the Arbon coup a few years later possibly deposing the Hohenzollerns again.

Keeping with the recent train of thought regarding historical epics in Hohenzollernverse cinema, I have an idea about a Last Samurai style film set during the Chinese, Korean and Manchuian invasions of Japan of the 17th/18th centuries that I think might be cool, with the film focusing on Christian and Shinto daiymos working together to fight off Chinese, Korean and Manchu colonizers, with a Roman character getting involved in the Japanese's fight for freedom. I think that might make for a fun movie, even if its a little historically anachronistically and romanticized at some parts.

Last edited:
Nice to see Annie avoid death this time unlike all her clones or VR copies and what not. Who knows, maybe Annie will get to make it out of this in one piece, Anders deserves to see that at least.
I did imply some of the clones from the first Annie-focused arc may have survived, but I'm not going to bring them up again as the story has moved on from them. I'll keep their fate ambiguous.
I see Merkel is not doing well when it comes to the political fallout of recent events, makes sense given how the extent of the Sentinel conspiracy being leaked would be a big scandal for any admiration currently in office. The political climate of the Reich will certainly be very interesting by the time we get to the Forum story, Can't wait to see all the complicated political intrigue that will happen in the Forum arc as a result of X-Divison's legacy.
I'm currently writing it and I can say there are many different competing interests even within the Forum, all taking advantage of the fallout from X-Division.
I wonder what ever happened to the descendants of these Actal exiles or the descendants of Mexica settlers and refugees who stuck around in Europe and parts of Africa and Asia after Sunset Invasion? I don’t know about India, but I assume the Mexica communities in Gotland, Aland and Mauretania were left alone by local authorities even as the Reich and presumably Scandinavia suppressed Mexicaytol and Mexica communities were suppressed in the mainland. With Aland now under Russian control and being borded by multiple cultural spheres, I can see the island being very multi ethnic and religious nowadays, with Mexica, Norse, Fins, Slavs, Baltic and a few Christians living near each other, tho some of these groups may have experienced a few deportations under the Soviet era.
I'm sure the Acatl exiles assimilated into their adopted cultures and married into local families as they didn't really have another choice. I don't think I'll address their fate anytime soon, but by now they're nothing more than a minor bragging right for the families with some Acatl ancestry. The regular Mexica settlers were mostly left alone as mass deportation across the Atlantic was impossible, but the Romans and Scandinavians still imposed harsh assimilation policies on them. In places like Mauretania, Hibernia, and Caledonia they were assimilated into local populations, their remaining legacy being a few minor cultural traditions, some words and slang, and a few populations with darker skin tones. On islands like Aland, Gotland, and the Faroes and Orkneys, they retained more of their culture due to their isolation. Aland I guess is very multicultural due to being controlled and settled by multiple countries at various points. I am actually about to start writing a Forum update where some of the characters meet the descendants of Mexica settlers in the Faroe Islands, although the focus is more on the impact of climate change on the island's puffins.
Since you said that Baghdad was sacked and a few libraries and universities were burned during a Roman-Persian war in the 16th century in EU4, that gives me some thoughts about the connections between Hikma university and the old House of Wisdom that I think would be a cool piece of lore. Perhaps the librarians of the House of Wisdom and the students and staff of several other schools decided to work with Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities to preserve the city's accumulated knowledge when they realized the city was about to fall to the Persians, making sure most of the House of Wisdom books, the catalogues of several other libraries and even some works of art were safely smuggled out of the city before it could be burned by the Persians, with said books later being transferred back to Baghdad when it recovered from the sack and the House of Wisdom was rebuilt as Hikma Unversity, now open to everyone regardless of religion or creed.
I think the House of Wisdom slowly evolved into Hikma University over the centuries as the Romans combined a European-style higher education system with the Middle East's. Though I can see the Persian sack of Baghdad speeding up the process as Baghdad's communities rallied to preserve the university's archives or at the very least ship them out to other universities elsewhere in the Reich.
Since we have a Frisian character in the form of Baudet becoming a major protagonist in the next arc, what do people in Frisa think of the reign of Kaiser Martin II and his promotion of Dutch culture? I get that most Romans probably don’t think much of Martin II other than his assassination by Bethune that lead into the Anarchy, but I can see Frisians holding him in high regard as an cultural icon due to due to the brief time in the spotlight the Dutch got as as an culture almost equal to that of Germans, Greeks and maybe the Italians, though that obviously would come to thanks to the Anarchy and the Fifty Years War following Martin’s death.
They'd be pretty proud of a Kaiser who appreciated their local culture, only to be cut short by the Anarchy.
Speaking of Anarchy, aside from sparking off the Iconoclast movement and indirectly starting the Fifty Years War, I'm how the Anarchy and its impact would be seen from a historiographic and cultural perspective and what kinds of debates that historians would have about its causes and affects. At the very least, I can see most historians viewing it as the dividing moment between the Renaissance of the Fiftieth and Sixteenth centuries and the beginning of the General Crisis of the 17th century and maybe even a possible motivation for the rise of absolutism during the Reign of Women due to future Kaiserins fearing anything like the Anarchy or the Arbon coup a few years later possibly deposing the Hohenzollerns again.
The Anarchy is considered a violent interlude to the Fifty Years' War and the Commonwealth Wars, creating the political climate for the chaos of the 17th century. Historians do see it as the end of the Renaissance and the transition period to the 17th century chaos, which would then lead to the Enlightenment, the Reign of Women, and the rise of absolutism to prevent another Anarchy or Fifty Years' War, which leads to the Pragmatic Sanction and the Metternich system.
Keeping with the recent train of thought regarding historical epics in Hohenzollernverse cinema, I have an idea about a Last Samurai style film set during the Chinese, Korean and Manchuian invasions of Japan of the 17th/18th centuries that I think might be cool, with the film focusing on Christian and Shinto daiymos working together to fight off Chinese, Korean and Manchu colonizers, with a Roman character getting involved in the Japanese's fight for freedom. I think that might make for a fun movie, even if its a little historically anachronistically and romanticized at some parts.
Sounds cool. I like the idea of Christian and Shinto Japanese putting aside their differences to fight off the Ming, Koreans, and Manchus. Maybe we could have the Roman be an African since I think there was an African man who became a samurai in real life.

The Truth is Out There, Part 11

“Many of the skills we most require are also in high demand in the private sector, as all of you know. To compete, we need to bring the Bureau of Defense the human resources practices that have already transformed the private sector. Our compact with war fighters will address quality of life issues—like improvements in healthcare and housing—where we will make more use of public-private partnerships, and by working to reduce the amount of time they must spend away from their families on deployment. No business I have known could survive under the policies we apply to our uniformed personnel. We encourage, and often force, servicemen and -women and retire after 20 years in service, after we've spent millions of marks to train them and when, still in their 40s, they were at the peak of their talents and skills. Because our objective is to produce generalists, officers are most often rotated out of assignments every 12 to 24 months, giving them a flavor of all things but too often making them experts at none. Both policies exact a toll in institutional memory, in skill and in combat readiness. To that end, we intend to submit revised personnel legislation to the Diet within the next two years. If a shortcoming on the uniformed side is moving personnel too much, on the civilian end we map hardly any career path at all. There, too, we must employ the tools of modern business -- more flexible compensation packages, modern recruiting techniques and better training. Let me conclude with this note. Some may ask, defensively so, will this war on bureaucracy succeed where others have failed? To that I offer three replies. First is the acknowledgement, indeed this caution: Change is hard. It's hard for some to bear, and it's hard for all of us to achieve. There's a myth, sort of a legend, that money enters this building and disappears, like a bright light into a black hole, never to be seen again. In truth, there is a real person at the other end of every mark, a real person who's in charge of every domain, and that means that there will be real consequences from, and real resistance to, fundamental change. We will not complete this work in one year, or five years, or even eight years. An institution built with trillions of marks over decades of time does not turn on a zehnten. Some say it's like turning a battleship. I suspect it's more difficult. That's the disadvantage of size. But here's the upside. In an institution this large, a little bit of change goes a very long way. If we can save just 5 percent of one year's budget, and I have never seen an organization that couldn't save 5 percent of its budget, we would free up some 15 to 18 billion marks, to be transferred from bureaucracy to the battlefield, from tail to tooth. Even if the Diet provides us every halberzehn of our next fiscal year budget, we will still need these extra savings to put towards transformation in this Bureau. Second, this effort is structurally different from any that preceded it, I suspect. It begins with the personal endorsement, in fact the mandate, of the Chancellor. He recently released a management agenda that says that performance, not promises, will count. He is personally engaged and aware of the effort that all of you are engaged in. The battle against a stifling bureaucracy is also a personal priority for me and for the Service Secretaries, one that will, through the Senior Executive Council, receive the sustained attention at the highest levels of this Bureau. We have brought people on board who have driven similar change in the private sector. We intend to do so here. We will report publicly on our progress. The old adage that you get what you inspect, not what you expect, or put differently, that what you measure improves, is true. It is powerful, and we will be measuring.”

-Rudolf Scharping

Athens - 3:29 PM (less than 1 minute to SVI activation)

“…alleged illegal human experimentation…”

“…charges of eugenics and unethical cybernetic experiments…”

“…already long list of accusations leveled against…”

“…Russia’s acting chancellor has called for emergency examinations…”

“…instability not seen since 1986…”

“…are ahead for Russia…”

“…just in, we are receiving reports…”

“…shots fired outside Nicomedia…”

“…RSB black site identified in the Sentinel files…”

“…unknown who is involved…”

Erich and Magda sat in the living room of their house, watching the news. Erich anxiously looked at his phone and then at Magda.

“Have you heard from Angie yet?” he asked.

“No, you?” Magda said.

“No,” Erich said, “She said she was going to meet us at lunch, didn’t she? She never showed.”

“Do you know where she could’ve gone?” Magda said.

“No?” Erich said.

Nicomedia

“But seriously, why is there a countdown?” Anders said. “Couldn’t he have just activated it without one?”

“I’m guessing the satellites line up right where Pavel needs them to be at 0:00,” Olga said, “He always had a flair for the dramatic.”

Diana pounded the console in frustration.

“Damnit!” she said. “It’s happening again!”

“What is?” Anders said.

“Thirty years ago, I was in a similar position,” Diana said, “Sitting in front of SVI like this. I messed up then. Because of that, thousands died at Chernobyl. And I can’t stop it from happening again despite all that’s happened to me.”

“Di, relax,” Anders said, “It wasn’t not your fault. The past is the past.”

Diana looked at Anders.

“You weren’t there, Anders,” she said, “If I couldn’t control SVI then, I can’t now. Thousands are going to die again because I failed to stop SVI again. All because of a stupid glitch nobody…”

She stopped talking as she realized what she just said.

Nobody caught!” she repeated. “That’s it! Let it fail!”

She turned back to the console and began typing on it. A screen next to her lit up, displaying green-colored prompts.

>Boot successful. Enter credentials for user 1.

dfrank 7219731

>Credentials accepted. Enter credentials for user 2.

val 4119622 override 495362

>Override accepted. Accessing main functions…

>Ready.

run svi_main.exe

>svi_main.exe is already running. Restart process?

Y

>Restarting svi_main.exe …

>…

>Loading map…

The map beeped. The targets remained in place on the map of the Reich, but forty-six yellow dots appeared, indicating SVI satellites.

“I’m surprised it still works,” Diana said.

“What are you doing?” Olga said.

“I’m trying to replicate the glitch,” Diana said, “It’s a long shot, but it’s our only option. This is what Wilhelm was talking about. Letting SVI crash again!”

She continued typing.

>Map loaded. Establishing satellite link…

>…

>…

>ERROR: Unable to connect to <Unit 47>. Unit is out of service.

>This does not terminate the process. You may continue the operation or abort.

>It is not advised to continue the operation. Unforeseen errors may occur.

>Would you like to continue? [Y] [N]

Diana pumped her fist. “Yes! Thank you! I never thought I’d be saying this!”

“So we stopped it?” Anders said.

“No, not yet,” Diana said, “But I’m getting close.”

>Connection complete. Assessing threats…

>…

>No threats detected. Attempting to terminate processes.

>Executing svi_power_down.exe …

>Powering down defense network…

>Executing troubleshoot.exe …

>ERROR. Unable to complete shutdown. Countdown will continue.

Twenty seconds remained on the timer. Diana watched intently as nothing changed in the yellow dots marking the active satellites.

“I can’t let this happen again,” she said, “Not another Chernobyl…come on come on come on…”

The timer reached ten seconds. Everybody’s eyes were now fixed on the screen, fearing the worst. Five seconds.

>4

>3

>2

>1

>0

>…

>…

>…

>Fatal ERROR: Null pointer exception.

>Connection lost. Attempting to recover…

>Recovery FAILED. Operation has been TERMINATED.

>Initiating full system reboot…

The timer stopped, and the screen went blue. Everybody continued staring at it, not sure if this was real. But it was. The main screen remained blue. All of the yellow dots disappeared.

“Is it…?” Olga said.

Diana waited for another several seconds.

>Reboot complete.

>Previous processes terminated.

>Other users have been logged out.

Diana leaned back in her chair, smiling in relief.

“It worked,” she said, “It freaking worked.”

Everybody sighed as well. Then Diana leaned forward and continued typing. New targets appeared on the screen.

“What are you doing?” Anders said.

“I have to do something,” Diana said, “Right now, I’m the only one with access to SVI. I can’t let them get their hands on SVI again. I’m going to use it to destroy Sentinel’s black sites. Including this one.”

She pushed a button. A timer for five minutes appeared on the screen. She then logged out, pulled out her gun, and shot the computer’s processors. That roused Annie and Angela, who stirred awake. Angela looked at the destroyed computer.

“What are you doing?” she said.

“Putting an end to all this,” Diana said.

She helped Angela to her feet, while Anders lifted Annie into his arms. They ran into the elevator, but Olga looked back and noticed Billy regaining consciousness. She ran back and helped him to his feet.

“What…what?” Billy said.

“You’re free now, Billy,” Olga said, “You’re getting out of here.”

They made their way back to the elevator just as the door closed.

“What are you doing?” Annie said. “Bringing him along?”

“I couldn’t let him die,” Olga said, “He’s not a super soldier anymore.”

“And the others?” Annie said. “Why not them too?”

“Even if you didn’t shoot them hundreds of times, I can still only carry one,” Olga said.

The elevator reached the bottom, opening into a lobby. They ran through the lobby and out the door just as a beam of energy came down from the sky and blasted right into the heart of the black site, destroying it instantly. In the distance, they saw more energy beams arcing down from the sky and hitting their targets.

“What did you do, Di?” Anders said.

“Ended Sentinel,” Diana said, “For good.”

“Apparently not,” Annie said, pointing to their right.

They saw Pavel limping away from the flames. He noticed them. He reached for a gun, but Olga drew her gun first and blind-fired, shooting him in the leg, while Diana blind-fired and shot his gun arm simultaneously. Pavel went down, clutching his leg and arm in pain. As X-Division approached him, he tried to crawl away, but he didn’t get far before X-Division surrounded him. He looked up at them.

“Well, well, well,” he said, “Diana and Olga. We’re all together again. How long has it been?”

“Shut up,” Diana said, “That Pavel died long ago. I miss him, but you’re no longer him.”

“How does it feel, Olga?” Pavel said. “You killed my parents. Now you get to kill me?”

“I’m not going to kill you,” Olga said.

“What about you, Hansen?” Pavel said. “Want to get revenge for your sister?”

Angela shot his other leg. Pavel screamed in pain.

“That was for Melissa,” she said, “And Schulz, Demetrios, Elisabeth Alexandra, and Grandpa. But I’m not going to kill you either.”

Pavel’s pain-stricken eyes locked with Anders, giving off a frenzied look that only came with a mix of adrenaline and pain.

“Do you know what you’ve done, Humboldt?” Pavel said. “You’ve doomed us all. The world was not ready for the truth. Even your pitiful half-truth.”

“Anders, don’t listen to him,” Angela said.

Anders aimed his gun.

“We both know you sacrificed your integrity for nothing,” Pavel said, “Without Sentinel, we won’t be ready. They will roll over us like we’re nothing. They will sweep away our armies, slaughter our people, and lay waste to our planet. They will kill the Hohenzollerns and put an end to the Reich. Humanity will suffer because of your actions today. You hear me? I was humanity’s last hope. You’re just some washed-up conspiracy theorist. You’re obsolete.”

Anders paused for a moment. "Obsolete..."

He then shot him in the head. Pavel slumped over, finally ended. Anders simply turned away and holstered his gun.

"I know that already," he said.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thus ends Pavel's reign of terror once and for all. Di and Olga will mourn the man he used to be instead of how he died as. Some ominous last words there, perhaps it's just a combination of a desperate man and his bruised ego or Pavel really believed he could have outsmarted the Cult. We will never know, especially with the blacksites turning to ash.

Interesting for Billy to ne saved though, but I don't think all will be well for a super soldier like him.

Reactions: