The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well I have decided to adapt more Sabaton here, and I figured a WW3 battle would be fun. Through I will say that I may have purposefully retconed and changed a few details from the gameplay update (notably stastics and causltiy rates) but I hope this will be fun enough for you to overlook that.:)

Also, about the "Corridor of Death" refernce I put in the lyrics, just imagine that is the nickname for the Black Sea Corridor during the war because of the numerous bloody battles fought around it and Dacia and Wallica like Ruse and Agyessus. It probably would earn that name for some notorious Soviet war crimes committed there I imagine.:eek:

-
Union (Flow of the Streamlit)
The Battle of Pleven or the Battle of Nations (Russian: Bitva narodov, German: Völkerschlacht bei Pleven, Greek: Máchi ton ethnón, Hindi: raashtron kee ladaee, Persian: نبرد ملتها) or the Battle of the Streamlit (for the Vit river flowing near Pleven) was fought from June 12 to July 12 1985 at Pleven, Bulgaria. It was fought by the Central Powers with the intention to break Soviet defenses at Wallacia and push towards the Black Sea Corridor, which had fallen to Soviet occupation earlier in the war in the winter of 1984. After Roman forces liberated the town of Pleven in a bloody assault, the Soviet Army withdrew to the surrounding Pleven heights and across the river Vit and fortified positions around the city. After a month of brutal fighting to clear out Russian troops, the remaining Soviet soldiers either were routed or raised the white flag.

The Battle of Pleven was also a battle of many nations, hence its honorary name, and included the Roman Reich, Indian Empire, Persia, Nusantara and Abyssinia fighting for the Central Powers. Soviet Forces were also aided by Eimerican Commune and UTR troops, as well as Dacian People’s Army divisions (through many Dacian defected on mass to Roman forces or actively refused to fight against Roman soldiers).

The battle would be costly, with the Central Powers suffering 72 thousand loses. However they would inflict 180 thousand casualties on Warsaw Pact forces. The battle involved 212 thousand Central Powers troops and 320 thousand Warsaw Pact soldiers, making it one of the largest battles of the war behind the Battles of Vienna, Parnu and Kiev. The battle would go on to be a major morale boost to Roman armies and would help pave the way for advances into the Black Sea Corridor and into Russia.
“Regard your soldiers as your children and they will follow you into the deepest battles, look upon them as your own beloved sons And they will stand by you, even until death”

As a turn of the tide

It is our turn to rise

The force of a union at war

March over rivers

On our way to the north

On the road that will lead us to Russia

Our way will not be easy

It will take us through hardship and pain

Hill after hill breaking their lines of defense

head on north

Mile after mile our march carries on

No army may stop our approach

Fight side by side

Many nations unite

Near the banks of the Danube

We fight and die together

As we head for the Corridor of Death

Destiny calls

We'll not surrender or fail

To arms!

Under one banner

As a unit we stand and united we fall

As one! Fighting together

Bringing the end to the slaughter

Winds are changing

head on north

Head on north

Head on north

Times are changing

Head on north

To arms

Under one banner

As one, fighting together

Bringing an end to the slaughter

Winds are changing

Head on north!

Last edited:
Wow. Poor Ted. Seriously, that's really unpleasant. Don't know who to feel worse for, the Reich's Ted who died a twisted face on a stomach or the other Ted who died outside his own universe, his loved ones never knowing what happened to him.

Well I have decided to adapt more Sabaton here, and I figured a WW3 battle would be fun. Through I will say that I may have purposefully retconed and changed a few details from the gameplay update (notably stastics and causltiy rates) but I hope this will be fun enough for you to overlook that.:)

Also, about the "Corridor of Death" refernce I put in the lyrics, just imagine that is the nickname for the Black Sea Corridor during the war because of the numerous bloody battles fought around it and Dacia and Wallica like Ruse and Agyessus. It probably would earn that name for some notorious Soviet war crimes committed there I imagine.:eek:

-
Union (Flow of the Streamlit)
The Battle of Pleven or the Battle of Nations (Russian: Bitva narodov, German: Völkerschlacht bei Leipzig, Greek: Máchi ton ethnón, Hindi: raashtron kee ladaee, Persian: نبرد ملتها) or the Battle of the Streamlit (for the Vit river flowing near Pleven) was fought from June 12 to July 12 1985 at Pleven, Bulgaria. It was fought by the Central Powers with the intention to break Soviet defenses at Wallacia and push towards the Black Sea Corridor, which had fallen to Soviet occupation earlier in the war in the winter of 1984. After Roman forces liberated the town of Pleven in a bloody assault, the Soviet Army withdrew to the surrounding Pleven heights and across the river Vit and fortified positions around the city. After a month of brutal fighting to clear out Russian troops, the remaining Soviet soldiers either were routed or raised the white flag.

The Battle of Pleven was also a battle of many nations, hence its honorary name, and included the Roman Reich, Indian Empire, Persia, Nusantara and Abyssinia fighting for the Central Powers. Soviet Forces were also aided by Eimerican Commune and UTR troops, as well as Dacian People’s Army divisions (through many Dacian defected on mass to Roman forces or actively refused to fight against Roman soldiers).

The battle would be costly, with the Central Powers suffering 72 thousand loses. However they would inflict 180 thousand casualties on Warsaw Pact forces. The battle involved 212 thousand Central Powers troops and 320 thousand Warsaw Pact soldiers, making it one of the largest battles of the war behind the Battles of Vienna, Parnu and Kiev. The battle would go on to be a major morale boost to Roman armies and would help pave the way for advances into the Black Sea Corridor and into Russia.
“Regard your soldiers as your children and they will follow you into the deepest battles, look upon them as your own beloved sons And they will stand by you, even until death”

As a turn of the tide

It is our turn to rise

The force of a union at war

March over rivers

On our way to the north

On the road that will lead us to Russia

Our way will not be easy

It will take us through hardship and pain

Hill after hill breaking their lines of defense

head on north

Mile after mile our march carries on

No army may stop our approach

Fight side by side

Many nations unite

Near the banks of the Danube

We fight and die together

As we head for the Corridor of Death

Destiny calls

We'll not surrender or fail

To arms!

Under one banner

As one! Fighting together

Bringing the end to the slaughter

Winds are changing

head on north

Head on north

Head on north

Times are changing

Head on north

To arms

Under one banner

As one, fighting together

Bringing an end to the slaughter

Winds are changing

Head on north!
As always, a great work. Since it's getting late where I am, I'll probably add it to the table of contents tomorrow morning with the usual update.
Wow. Poor Ted. Seriously, that's really unpleasant. Don't know who to feel worse for, the Reich's Ted who died a twisted face on a stomach or the other Ted who died outside his own universe, his loved ones never knowing what happened to him.
At least Hohenzollernverse Ted wasn't fully aware of what happened. Annionaverse Ted was forced to go through all that, being fully aware of what happened to him, and then had to recount 11/9 to Walter, of all people.

Nantes, Part 2

Tesla Dynamic regional office, Constantinople - 5:00 PM

“Let me know if anything changes,” Mina said, hanging up, “Four tremors in the last two hours. Most recent measured 2.6.”

“They're increasing in frequency,” Diana said.

“I'm sorry,” Angela said.

“You didn't send that building over here,” Diana said.

“So what's Plan B?” Anna said.

“We're compiling data,” Erich said, “Trying to predict where the next incident will take place. Satellite images, seismic activity, weather patterns.”

“You need a fresh set of eyes?” Anders said.

“Yes, I'll take you to the lab,” Mina said.

They walked to the lab, where Bruno sat at a computer.
“You’re in Geologic Division too?” Angela said.

“Surprised?” Bruno said.

“Not really,” Angela said.

“We've been plotting the epicenter of each microquake looking for a pattern,” Bruno said.

“Can you regress any of the data points?” Anna said.

“It's a waste of time,” Walter said, “Useless to impose order on random, meaningless data. Tried the same thing when the car came over, and tried to tell them why. Why there? Why'd it land in the middle of the Quad? The answer is there was no answer.”

"Except mass,” Anders said, “The two cars. You said they were roughy the same mass. The air around them was also pulled in to balance them out.”

“Okay, you two have something going on?” Bruno said. "Do you want to fill me in?”

“Walter seems to think the method used to bring something over here must mean something has to go back over there,” Anders said, “So a building from over there travels over here. That means a building over here of the same mass has to travel back there.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, Israel Schmidt,” Bruno said, “The bag of sand and the idol. I just don’t want to be run over by a giant boulder.”

“Not the metaphor I would have used, but, yes, exactly,” Anna said.

“Do you have a pencil?” Walter said.

Bruno handed him a pen.

“I need satellite data and 3D imagery to calculate the cubic feet,” Walter said, "I'll also need a comprehensive list of all building materials used during construction.”

“For every freestanding structure in Constantinople?” Bruno said.

“Oh, I think we can rule out the palaces and Hagia Sophia,” Walter said.

6:00 PM

Angela slept on a chair in the waiting room, trying to get some sleep. She woke up just as Anders walked into the room.

“Got anything?” Angela said.

“We have a plan, I think,” Anders said.

They walked back to Bruno’s computer, where he and Anna looked at a map of Constantinople, all buildings with the right mass marked.

“Okay, he can eliminate the three buildings over, because they're way too big,” Bruno said.

“Are they lofts?” Anna said.

“Yeah, why?” Bruno said.

“Lofts have no interior walls,” Anna said, "Even though one of the buildings might be bigger, they could be the same mass.”

“You’re right,” Bruno said.

“Okay, well, the guys downstairs on the supercomputer are crunching the numbers on the first six buildings, but it'll take some time,” Angela said, “What else can I do to help?”

Walter looked at his watch. “It's time. It could happen any moment now. Angie…”

“How many buildings are we down to?” Angela said.

“147 buildings spread out all over the Ostend,” Walter said, “Three hospitals, a cancer treatment center, a nursing home among them.”

“I called Inspector Kresge and the Fire Department,” Anders said, “They have a standing evacuation protocol. With our help, they could clear most of those buildings.”

“Anders, the evacuation itself would kill a lot of these people,” Erich said, "Not to mention cause a city-wide panic that might kill thousands more. The largest building on this list has, what, five hundred people?”

“So you think we should just do nothing?” Anders said. “Let those people disappear?”

“There are times when the only choices you have left are bad ones,” Erich said.

“Nonsense,” Anders said, “The old X-Division would’ve found a way around this.”

“I hate to say this, but the old X-Division is gone,” Erich said, “It was gone the day the towers came down.”

Anna walked into the room. “I figured if I could shut down all the non-essential functions, I can make these things run faster.”

“It's too late, Anna,” Angela said, “I failed. I'm supposed to be the one who can stop this.”

She walked to the window and sighed.

“Angie,” Anna said, “It’s okay. It’s fine.”

“I’m scared,” Angela said.

“Don’t be,” Anders said.

“The last time I felt this way was…in Vienna,” Angela said.

“Don’t blame me,” Olga said.

“That was 25 years ago,” Diana said, “It’s over.”

Angela looked out the window and saw a building shimmering in the distance.

“No,” Angela said, “I see it.”

She pointed at the building, and they looked at it. Then they ran out the room.

6:15 PM

Angela drove down the street as quickly as she could.

“Skoutarion, near the Bosphorus,” Anders said.

“I think,” Angela said on her phone, set to speaker, “I couldn't see exactly where.”

“Was it near the piers?” Diana said.

“Yeah, a couple of blocks from the strait,” Angela said.

“Were there any landmarks?” Olga said. “Other buildings nearby there?”

“Yeah, that new tower, the one near the elevated tracks,” Anders said.

“The High Line,” Diana said.

“Still too many potential candidates,” Walter said from the back, still eating sunflower seeds.

Angela rounded a corner and saw the shimmering building.

“I see it,” she said, “It’s the Brenner Place Hotel on Metternich and Gnupa.”

Anders got out his phone. “Inspector Kresge? It’s me, Humboldt. You need to evacuate everyone from the Brenner Place Hotel immediately.”

Angela stopped a block away from the hotel, and she and Anders got out. Police cars formed a line across the street, blocking off traffic in front of the hotel.

“Please exit in an orderly fashion!” Kresge shouted over a bullhorn.

Despite this, and his officers frantically waving their hands, civilians fled the building in droves. As the last civilian exited the building, Angela felt the ground shake. A wind blew toward the building, which started flickering out of existence.

“Go!” Angela shouted to the police officers. “Get out!”

“You heard her!” Kresge shouted. “Go!”

The officers ran, Kresge making sure the rest had gone before he ran out. As he turned to run, a loose pylon fell from the ceiling and hit him in the back, knocking him out. Around him, the building grew more and more transparent, taking Kresge with it. Angela instinctively ran toward the building and lifted the heavy pylon off Kresge. She put one of Kresge’s arms around her shoulder and carried him out of the building just as it vanished, leaving behind a clean-cut square hole in the ground with severed pipes and cables visible. Kresge stirred and opened his eyes.

“Did we get everybody out?” he said.

“I think so,” Angela said, “I guess it's safe to say you've got the rest of the night off work.”

Erich’s office, Omar Mukhtar Building - 9:00 PM

“...not a single casualty when hundreds miraculously escaped what the Athanatoi called an af-Quetzalcoatl terrorist attack at the Brenner Place Hotel,” the reporter said, “There has been no word yet from either the Bureau of Heimat Security on the exact circumstances of the attack or any videos from af-Quetzalcoatl claiming or denying involvement…”

“The conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day with the wrong conspiracy,” Anders said.

“I mean, seriously, a building disappears in front of several police officers, the neighbors probably saw something,” Angela said.

“The police department evacuated everybody in a two block radius,” Olga said, “All they’ll ever get is some shaky cellphone camera footage.”

“It’s ironic,” Anders said, “We’re supposed to be exposing conspiracies, not covering them up. What are we, Sentinel now?”

“We had no choice, Anders,” Diana said, “Maybe some other time.”

“You saved a lot of people, Angie,” Erich said, “Inspector Kresge sends his personal thanks from St. Eudokimos.”

“We all did, Dad,” Angela said.

“This ability you've demonstrated, what finally activated it?” Erich said.

“I think it was just time,” Angela said.

A hotel - 10:00 PM

“Yeah, Monopoly would be great,” Anna said on the phone, “He loves the colored money. Okay, thanks again, see you soon.”

She hung up and turned to Walter. “Hey, Walter, that was Olga. She's coming over to play some games with you.”

“Oh... good,” Walter said, “I hope she likes Monopoly.”

“As much as a Russian likes capitalism,” Anna said, checking her watch.

“Where are you going?” Walter said.

“Me?” Anna said. “I'm going out for drinks at the Arcadia. Angie recommended to try it before we fly back.”

“Oh, who are you drinking with?” Walter said.

“Angie, Anders, and Diana,” Anna said, “A nice little family gathering. If you need to reach me, I'll leave you the Arcadia’s number right here, okay?”

She handed Walter a business card just as they heard a knock on the door. Anna opened the door and found Angela waiting outside.

“Evening,” Anna said.

“Hey,” Angela said, “Anders and Di are already there. It’s a couple blocks away.”

“Then let’s get going,” Anna said, “I’ll get my coat.”

Anna turned and walked to the closet. As she did so, Angela noticed she was also shimmering, like the hotel earlier. She saw Walter staring at her, his face pale.

“Oh, no,” Angela said, “Please don’t tell me…”

“Angie, please don’t tell her,” Walter pleaded.

Well... this news was bound to be revealed at some point. It won't exactly excuse Walter of his past actions, but it does put them in a sympathetic light. A parent's endless devotion to their child.

Well... this news was bound to be revealed at some point. It won't exactly excuse Walter of his past actions, but it does put them in a sympathetic light. A parent's endless devotion to their child.
Regarding Walter's past actions, that list is about to get even longer.

Anna, Part 1

Bureau of Defense Research Office, Downtown Constantinople - November 28, 1977, 9:00 PM

Mihailo Princip, Hans Hansen, Conrad Humboldt, and three generals sat at a table, listening to Walter’s demonstration.

“Our success thus far should serve as an example of our ability to achieve that which most can't even imagine,” Walter said, “What you must understand is that, as scientists, we must embrace every possibility. No limitations. No boundaries. There is no reason for them. Gentlemen... I would like you to take a look at this.”

He handed Mihailo a flip phone.

“And what would this be?” Mihailo asked.

“It's a mobile telephone,” Walter said, “It can be made much smaller, I assure you. Maybe even the buttons could be replaced by a touchscreen.”

“Does it work?” Conrad said.

“Not here, not yet,” Walter said, “This phone is digital, not analog, and depends on a highly sophisticated satellite network to connect with other phones. It'll take us at least thirty years to get up to speed. I didn't invent it. I wish I had.”

“Dr. Humboldt, we were under the impression Wilhelm Tesla would be with us this evening,” Hans said.

“I'm afraid that's not possible,” Walter said, “Dr. Tesla is in India. But I am here, so I can answer any questions you may have.”

“Dr. Humboldt, is this Russian technology?” Mihailo asked.

“It is not,” Walter said, “It is definitely Roman, but it is technology from another universe, another Reich. A parallel universe just like ours, but more advanced in some areas.”

“Are you suggesting you visited this parallel universe and acquired this advanced technology?” Conrad said, suddenly very interested.

“No,” Walter said, “It is theoretically impossible to get there.”

Hans looked at Conrad and held back a grin.

“Then how did you come to possess this?” he said.

“I copied it,” Walter said, “If you’ll follow me.”

They walked up to the roof of the building, where they could see the busy streets and skyscrapers of downtown Constantinople around them. Walter’s assistant Carla stood next to a clear, large flat screen device on a pedestal.

“For the last several years, Wilhelm and I have been conducting various experiments regarding this other universe,” Walter said, “So based on our findings, we developed a window of sorts, a way of looking into this neighboring world. And that is why we are asking for more funding. This is my assistant, Dr. Carla Werner.”

Carla waved. “Evening, sirs.”

“This window works by capturing errant photons from the other universe,” Walter said, “The window essentially stretches the membrane between our worlds and allows us to see them from our side.”

“You're going to make an alternate Constantinople appear?” Mihailo said.

“It's already there, Megas Domestikos,” Walter said, "Doctor Werner. At all times, right in front of our eyes. We just can't see it.”

Carla activated the device and pointed it at the World Trade Center. In the window, they watched as a zeppelin approached the towers, preparing to dock.

“I’m sure you know the World Trade Centers were never docking stations, for zeppelins no less,” Walter said, “Gentlemen, you are looking through a window into another world.”

A hotel, Constantinople - January 24, 2010, 3:00 AM

Angela answered the knock on her door and found Walter outside.

“Uncle Walter, what are you doing up at this time?” Angela said.

“You left me no choice,” Walter said, “You wouldn't answer your telephone, return my messages. I tried to communicate.”

“It’s the middle of the night,” Angela said, “I need time, okay? I don't even know... how to begin to work this out.”

“I think I do,” Walter said, “Please, Angie, I need to explain. And if you wouldn't mind, I could use a sip of something, myself.”

Angela sighed and let him inside, handing him a bottle of water.

“Have you told Kurtz or your father?” Walter said.

“No,” Angela said, “But to be honest, that doesn't mean that I won’t once I fly back."

“I always knew one day I'd have to pay the price for my deception,” Walter said.

“Well, we're not really sure what the cost is yet, are we?” Angela said.

“No,” Walter said, “I suppose not. I invented this after Wilhelm and I learned that we had doubles on the other side, or more specifically I did. Or maybe it was before. I can't remember. It's a window to the other universe. I was a different man then. I was going to change the world. But you see, after Anna became sick, none of that seemed to matter. The illness was genetic. Savage. Wasting. I tried everything. There was simply no hope. At least not on this side. But over there they're more technologically advanced. If the alternate Anna was also sick over there, then wouldn't her father be equally motivated to find a cure? He was. God help me...he was.”

Walter’s lab, Strasburg - November 29, 1977, 3:00 PM

Walter sat in front of the window, watching his counterpart write down notes on a chalkboard and mix chemicals in flasks. Carla walked over to him.

“Any progress?” she asked.

“He's synthesizing a new compound now,” Walter said, “He's using cobalt and magnesium.”

“Any idea yet how he's selecting the filtering compounds?” Carla said.

“Random, I think,” Walter said, “Chance, fate, luck of the draw. I've given him a name, Carla."

“What is it?” Carla said.

“Walternierend,” Walter said, “Walternate. A fitting name.”
“Alternating between what?” Carla said.

“Eh, I just picked the closest-sounding name,” Walter said, “The only other options are Wandere and Anders, and one is already taken.”

Walternate mixed another compound and watched as it changed color.

“That is it,” Walter said, “This should be the reaction.”

The compound changed color again.

“Damn,” he said, “No cure.”

He crossed out another line on his own chalkboard. “Perhaps with a higher iodine purification.”

He heard the phone ringing and walked to the office to pick it up.

“Humboldt,” he said.

“Walter?” Elisabeth said.

“Elisabeth,” Walter said, “Is she…”

“She’s fine,” Elisabeth said, “She’s alright right now. But, um…”

“What?” Walter said.

“I think you should come home now, Walter,” Elisabeth said, “I think it's time you came home.”

Conrad’s house, Mainz - 6:00 PM

Walter walked through the door and found Elisabeth sitting on the stairs, her head in her hands.

“She looks worse,” Elisabeth said, “Keeps asking for you. It's not like before."

“What is it like?” Walter said.

“It's different,” Elisabeth said, “She keeps saying she wants to talk to you. She says she's worried she won't be able to.”

Walter loaded a vinyl record onto the phonograph. Somber jazz music wafted from the speakers.

“I just can't bear it when you're not here,” Elisabeth said, “Anders too. He already left with Conrad to Vienna.”

“You know what I'm doing,” Walter said, “You know where I am twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.”

“Yes,” Elisabeth said, “That’s too much. You might be a scientist, but you are also her father.”

“I won't give up,” Walter said, “I lost one daughter, and I’m not losing another. I can do this. I need you not to doubt me.”

He walked upstairs and found Anna resting in her bed, flipping her favorite silver mark over in her hands.

“You're supposed to be getting some rest, Anna,” Walter said.

“Dad?” Anna said.

“Yes?” Walter said.

“I almost got it,” Anna said, trying to flip the coin over each finger.

“Oh,” Walter said, taking the coin, “Let me show you. Now slowly watch, one finger at a time.”

He flipped the coin over each of his fingers and smiled, handing it back to Anna.

“Now you show me,” Walter said.

Anna tried again, and this time she did the trick correctly. Walter clapped once.

“Very good,” he said.

“I want you to have it, my lucky silver mark, if I die,” Anna said.

“Anna…” Walter said.

“It’s okay,” Anna said, “I’m not scared.”

“Nothing's going to happen to you,” Walter said, “I promise. You're going to be just fine. Okay? Now get some rest.”

“Okay,” Anna said, “Will you wake me for dinner? I don't want miss it. I want to show Anders and Grandpa this trick.”

“You’re not going to miss anything,” Walter said.

He leaned over and hugged Anna, but at that moment, she went limp in her arms. He looked at Anna’s face and saw she had stopped breathing.

A cemetery - December 14, 1977, 3:00 PM

They buried Anna in a small ceremony. Only Walter, Elisabeth, Carla, and Mina were there to see Anna being lowered into her grave. Anders and Conrad didn’t attend. Not even the Hansens were invited. They weren’t even told. Nobody was. As soon as the grave was covered, everybody made their way back to the cars.

“You know how much Wilhelm wanted to be here,” Mina said, “But with the meetings in Delhi... I don't need to tell you how important they are for both of you. He wanted me to make sure that you know how terrible he feels. She was his niece, you know.”

“Yes,” Walter said, “I understand. I'm glad you came.”

Conrad’s house - 4:00 PM

Walter and Elisabeth stood in Anna’s empty room, looking at her few belongings still lying where she last put them.

“We didn't give her a good life,” Elisabeth said, wiping away tears, “She practically never got out of the house.”

“She was always too sick,” Walter said.

“She didn't go to a proper school,” Elisabeth said, “She didn't have any proper friends. She had no family but us, we kept her away from the Hansens too much. We kept her so well, we never let anyone else get to know her.”

Walter sat down and sighed. “We did the best we could. We dealt with what we were given. She knew she was loved. Didn't she?”

11:00 PM

Walter roused Elisabeth awake, and she opened her eyes.

“Walter, what's wrong?” she said. “You're cold. Have you been outside?”

“Come with me,” Walter said.

He led Elisabeth back to Anna’s room, where he had set up the window. He turned it on, revealing the alternate Anna lying on her bed, very much alive. Annie sat next to her, reading a story from a book.

“How's this possible?” Elisabeth said. “How are you doing this?”

“What I've been working on, Elisabeth, it's a window to another universe,” Walter said, “Like ours but different.”

Walter turned it off, but Elisabeth grabbed his arm.

“Please,” she said, “Please turn it back on again. Please turn it on. I want to see her again! I want to see her and Annie!”

“Elisabeth, I am telling you this because I want you to know somewhere Anna and Annie will grow up, somewhere they will lead a proper life, somewhere they will be happy, but just not here with us,” Walter said, “And we must take comfort in this. And we must begin to move on.”

Walter’s lab - December 15, 1977, 8:00 AM

Walter sipped from a cup of coffee while he watched the window, observing as Walternate mixed more compounds for potential cures. He recognized a pattern in the compounds Walternate was using for his tests.

“Not random at all,” he said.

Behind Walternate, Wilhelm entered the lab. Walternate turned away from his desk and started talking to him, not noticing his latest compound turning the right color. He had found a cure.

“Yes!” Walter shouted. “You did it! By God, you did it!”

The cure turned dark black without Walternate noticing. Wilhelm, looking panicked, ran out of the lab, and Walternate sat back down at his desk. He crossed out that compound’s name on his chalkboard and tossed the compound away, shaking his head.

“No!” Walter shouted. “You had it, the cure. All you have to do is stabilize the compound, and you can save her. You can save her!”

But Walternate didn’t do that. He started testing another compound. Enraged and distraught, Walter threw his coffee cup at the window, shattering it.

Frankfort, Holy Roman Empire - 3:00 PM

Raphael and Uriel walked out of the theater, still holding bottles of soda.

“This soda is just great,” Raphael said.

“I’ve tasted better,” Uriel said, “This place just doesn’t know how to make a good soda.”

“I really liked what they did to Starkrieg, don’t you think?” Raphael said.

“Personally, I’m not a fan of making Luke the hero,” Uriel said, “He’s just so whiny and bland.”

“Sarah would agree with you,” Raphael said.

Wilhelm materialized next to them.

“Frak, frak, frak,” he said, “I made a terrible mistake.”

“Yeah, Sarah told us,” Raphael said, “What did you do? Get old Claudius to nuke Mali? Accidentally activate Sentinel?”

“Dr. Humboldt, the one here, was about to develop a cure for his daughter,” Wilhelm said, “It’s a fixed point in time. I accidentally revealed myself, and he wanted to talk. He missed the cure.”

“Oh, Father,” Raphael said, “This is not good. Not good. You changed the future.”

“We’re not technically tethered to time,” Wilhelm said.

“But changing timelines is a big no-no,” Uriel said, “Especially after what happened when you helped out Friedrich the Great.”

“It was justified because you all were screwing over that universe,” Wilhelm said.

“Yeah, well we’re not screwing over either universe now,” Uriel said, “You just doomed a little girl to a painful death. You know how important she was?”

“About as important as Elisabeth Alexandra Hansen and Alexander Humboldt-Frank,” Raphael said, “That’s how important she is.”

“So we need to fix this, then,” Wilhelm said.

“Otherwise you’ll accelerate the convergence,” Uriel said, “Your precious universe, smashed into another and blown up. We wouldn’t want that, would we?”

“Okay, I’ll fix the timeline, then,” Wilhelm said.

“Yeah, good luck with that, Barry Allen,” Raphael said, “If you need us, we’ll be in 1980 to see how the Annionas did The Republic Strikes Back. Heard it was called Empire Strikes Back or some nonsense like that.”

“If you miss us, we’ll probably be in 2018 to watch Crisis on Infinite Earths,” Uriel said, “You shouldn’t miss it, there’s a two month window between the release and when the nukes fly.”

Raphael and Uriel teleported away.

Walter’s lab, Strasburg, the Reich - December 16, 1977, 3:00 AM

Carla walked into the lab and found Walter still sitting at his desk, working on the cure.

“Walter?” she asked.

“Dr. Werner,” Walter said.

“Have you been here all night?” Carla said.

Walter looked up. “I’ve been working.”

“Working on what?” Carla said.

“This,” Walter said, holding up the cure, “Walternate found a cure. He found a cure for Anna, and, and it works, Carla. It's not too late. I can save her.”

“Walter, Anna is dead,” Carla said.

“I know,” Walter said, “Of course I know that! I'm not talking about my Anna. I'm talking about the other Anna, the one on the other side. He missed it. The other me. He, he missed it and, you know, it was right there in front of him, and, and he didn't see it. He was distracted by the man.”

“What man?” Carla said.

“The old-fashioned man in the lab,” Walter said, “He was distracted. And, and when he returned, the positive result had failed, and so he moved on.”

“Maybe he'll realize what he missed, and he'll go back,” Carla said.

“Carla, he is me,” Walter said, “I wouldn't look back, and neither will he. He didn't see the compound, but I did. And I've reproduced it. It just needed minor modifications. Without this, Anna will die. She'll die all over again. Which is why I have to go over there."

“What?” Carla said.

“The Casimir Effect should produce a thinner, more porous region of space-time,” Walter said, pointing at blueprints lying on the desk, "I only need to affect the area for long enough to cross over to the other side with a vial of the cure. And, and then, of course, recreate the effect to cross back again after curing her.”

“Walter, you're trying to create a door into another universe?” Carla said.

“Yes!” Walter said. "I think I just said that. Where's my map? When I looked into her room on the other side, I saw Elisabeth had already packed her suitcase for Reiden Lake, just like we do every year for Christmas. That's where we need to find a location to set up."

“Walter, I'm sorry, but you can’t,” Carla said.

“Yes, I think I can,” Walter said.

“No, Walter, I mean you can’t,” Carla said, “Shattering the wall between universes would rupture the fundamental constants of nature.”

“It's a theory,” Walter said, "We don't know that to be true.”

“It's a good theory,” Carla said, “It is why we have been lying to the military, telling them it's impossible. Walter, there has to be a line somewhere. There has to be a line we can't cross.”

“I always considered you as a scientist first, Dr. Werner, despite your counterintuitive personal needs for religious claptrap,” Walter said, “I see I was wrong.”

“'I am become death, Destroyer of Worlds’,” Carla said.

“Don't you quote Neumann to me,” Walter said.

“Knowledge cannot be pursued without morality,” Carla said.

“You sound like a pious sanctimonious preacher!” Walter said.

“I may go to church every Sunday, Walter, but I also have three degrees in theoretical physics, and I am telling you you cannot do this,” Carla said, “We both know the amount of energy required to create a portal will break both universes. For the sake of one life, you will destroy this world and the other one. Some things are not ours to tamper with. Some things are God’s."

“My first daughter is likely dead, and my second daughter is dead, Dr. Werner,” Walter said, “I will not allow Anna to die again. There's only room for one God in this lab, and it's not yours. The lake. It's perfect. The water will absorb the excess energy. And I won't be needing your assistance any further today or tonight, Doctor Werner."

“Walter!” Carla shouted.

Walter packed up his blueprints and the cure and walked out the door. “That will be all!”

Ah yes, just got confused the time when Mars was reached with the start of USA-Californian war, thought that it got nuclear immediately. Need to re-read Deus Ex Anniona again :)
I estimated the first Mars mission was in 2000, from how Dragoon wrote that chapter.

You know, I think I might just summon @dragoon9105 here now given this recent arc. I think he will be surprised but happy at this crossover arch (he is aware of this current Anniona-Hohenzollern arc right?):D
If I remember correctly, he told me, "Knock yourself out."

I am a bit curious as to what modern citizens think when they look back on the ancient history of the Reich 753 BC to 1105 AD more specifically events such as the collapse of the Western part of the empire. I was also wondering if there were any Latin or “true” Romans left or if they have all been assimilated into Lombard (Italian) culture as well as how much influence they have, like is Latin still an important language, etc, etc, since the dominant ethnic groups in the modern Reich are German and Greek. Finally I am curious as to how important the city of Rome is to the modern Reich since in a previous update I believe you said that Berlin, Constantinople and Venice were the political, financial and cultural center’s respectively and was wondering where that leaves Rome.

I can't blame Walter for not wanting to listen to her, but Carla is absolutely correct. The butterfly effect says you don't mess with time, don't even think about alternate realities.

I am a bit curious as to what modern citizens think when they look back on the ancient history of the Reich 753 BC to 1105 AD more specifically events such as the collapse of the Western part of the empire. I was also wondering if there were any Latin or “true” Romans left or if they have all been assimilated into Lombard (Italian) culture as well as how much influence they have, like is Latin still an important language, etc, etc, since the dominant ethnic groups in the modern Reich are German and Greek. Finally I am curious as to how important the city of Rome is to the modern Reich since in a previous update I believe you said that Berlin, Constantinople and Venice were the political, financial and cultural center’s respectively and was wondering where that leaves Rome.
Modern citizens are familiar with Roman history before the Restoration, which is split into several parts. There's the history of the kings and the Republic from 753 to 44 BCE (I think?). Then there's the classical Empire from 44 BCE to 476 CE. From there the focus shifts to Byzantium (overlap from the 3rd Century to 1105) and then simultaneously to the HRE (800 CE to 1105). The collapse wouldn't be portrayed as the fall of civilization into a dark age but rather the culmination of centuries of bureaucratic, administrative, military, and political mistakes all coming together in a perfect storm, allowing Germanic tribes to end the old Empire but also to continue its legacy and many of its traditions in new forms, paving the way for the Restoration of the modern Reich.

It's kind of a misconception to consider "true" Romans, as in the Latin-speaking inhabitants of the classical Empire, to have still existed after 476 in the same form as they were pre-476 and then assimilated into the medieval and early modern European linguistic and ethnic groups. From what I remember, only nobility and clergy spoke the Latin we associate with the classical Empire (and the Reich's nobility and clergy still used Latin well into the early modern era), while the masses spoke Vulgar Latin, which was a continuously evolving language. As the Empire fragmented, Romans in each part of the Empire incorporated different elements into their Vulgar Latin based on who they met, leading to their languages slowly evolving into the modern Romance languages. This is very simplified, as I don't know how to explain it well enough, but I I just wanted to clarify it a little.

Rome is a medium-sized city and a major tourist attraction for its ruins. Although it isn't as influential as Berlin, Constantinople, and Vienna, it is still considered one of the founding cities of the Reich. Nowadays it is trying to reinvent itself as a major sporting venue, hosting events ranging from horse racing to race cars to football, baseball, and basketball. There's also a large martial arts community there thanks to a certain kung fu movie being set there.
I can't blame Walter for not wanting to listen to her, but Carla is absolutely correct. The butterfly effect says you don't mess with time, don't even think about alternate realities.
Especially when we're talking about the Annionaverse.

It's kind of a misconception to consider "true" Romans, as in the Latin-speaking inhabitants of the classical Empire, to have still existed after 476 in the same form as they were pre-476 and then assimilated into the medieval and early modern European linguistic and ethnic groups. From what I remember, only nobility and clergy spoke the Latin we associate with the classical Empire (and the Reich's nobility and clergy still used Latin well into the early modern era), while the masses spoke Vulgar Latin, which was a continuously evolving language. As the Empire fragmented, Romans in each part of the Empire incorporated different elements into their Vulgar Latin based on who they met, leading to their languages slowly evolving into the modern Romance languages. This is very simplified, as I don't know how to explain it well enough, but I I just wanted to clarify it a little.
While we are on that note, how does centuries of being the co-dominate languages in the Reich affected how Greeks and Germans interact with each other? I imagine that at this point German and Greek would pretty much be Lingua francas to each other and speakers of those two languages would pretty much be able to mutually understand each other.

What is is India´s film industry (I think it was called Mabelsburg) like compared to Babelsburg or OTL´s Bollywood? Would it be as cultural influential as Chinese and Roman cinema?

What would the equivalent of Black History month be in TTL? Considering that in the Civil Rights it was multiple minorities advocating for equal rights than just one big group like African Americans in OTL, I think it would make sense to replace Black History month with numerous other minority heritage celebration, or as one board Minority History Month to celebrate the contributions of minorities like to the Reich.

I think we could also designate July as a sort of Veterans/Memorial Month too since all the World Wars were concluded on that month.

I also remembered that I asked you this question and you told you me to wait a bit as seen here...
Also what would Spec Ops: The Line be like in TTL considering that it’s critical of US interventionalism and the pro war leanings of most modern military shooters? Plus it has influence in Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness so I’m wondering what those would be like as well.
I'd have to get back to you once we reach the late 2000s to avoid spoilers.
Well since its 2010 now, It might be appropriate to follow up on it at this point.

I´m a bit curious as to how Fairy Tales and Folklore in general could involve in the Reich? I suppose it would vary lot in the Reich, with Slavic in the former Occupied Territories, Norse myths coming to influence Northern Roman territory, old Celtic folklore and Arthurian Legends being told in Britannia, and of course traditional Grimm fairy tales in Germania proper. There could also be some folktales in Greece that could in some way be a spiritual successor to the Hellenic myths of old.

While we are on that note, how does centuries of being the co-dominate languages in the Reich affected how Greeks and Germans interact with each other? I imagine that at this point German and Greek would pretty much be Lingua francas to each other and speakers of those two languages would pretty much be able to mutually understand each other.
Most Romans are fluent in German and Greek and are a native speaker in one of them. That’s why Angela and Demetrios can easily understand each other.
What is is India´s film industry (I think it was called Mabelsburg) like compared to Babelsburg or OTL´s Bollywood? Would it be as cultural influential as Chinese and Roman cinema?
It’s not as big as the Chinese and Roman industries but should not be overlooked. It’s quite popular in formerly Indian Central Asia, East Africa, Penglai, and Nusantara (as well as other territories once controlled by India or with large Indian populations).
What would the equivalent of Black History month be in TTL? Considering that in the Civil Rights it was multiple minorities advocating for equal rights than just one big group like African Americans in OTL, I think it would make sense to replace Black History month with numerous other minority heritage celebration, or as one board Minority History Month to celebrate the contributions of minorities like to the Reich.
I think it would be split into numerous other minority heritage celebrations, but they would be organized by minority community leaders and encouraged by the government.
I think we could also designate July as a sort of Veterans/Memorial Month too since all the World Wars were concluded on that month.
That’s a great idea. I completely forgot about that coincidence. It wasn’t even planned at all.
Well since its 2010 now, It might be appropriate to follow up on it at this point.
There’d be more influences from Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now, with the player being forced to make more morally gray choices and confused even further. The setting would be southeastern Fusang, in a sandstorm-prone region near the Mexican border.
I´m a bit curious as to how Fairy Tales and Folklore in general could involve in the Reich? I suppose it would vary lot in the Reich, with Slavic in the former Occupied Territories, Norse myths coming to influence Northern Roman territory, old Celtic folklore and Arthurian Legends being told in Britannia, and of course traditional Grimm fairy tales in Germania proper. There could also be some folktales in Greece that could in some way be a spiritual successor to the Hellenic myths of old.
As I said a while back, it varies depending on the region and culture. Slavic and Romuva tales can be found in the former Occupied Territories, but these predate the Soviet occupation and have been mostly assimilated into Roman Christian folklore. They can also be found in Illyria and the Balkans. Romuva folklore is also found in Egypt. Norse folklore is found in areas where Scandinavians settled: Britannia, Caledonia, Hibernia, northern Hispania, and Normandy (mixed with Celtic and Arthurian legends); southern Hispania (mixed with Malian, Jewish, and Islamic folklore); and Frisia and northern Germania (through proximity to Scandinavia and centuries of trade). Grimm-style fairy tales can be found in Germania and Gallia. Folklore inspired from Catholic traditions can still be found in Italia. Greeks are still familiar with the old pagan myths, though they only see them as myths now.

Anna, Part 2

Reiden Lake, Hunsruck, Rhineland - 7:00 PM

His father wouldn’t mind if he borrowed the Impala for one day, Walter thought. He parked the car on the edge of the frozen lake and opened the trunk. He hauled the gear out of the trunk and to the middle of the lake. He tapped the ice, checking if it was thick enough.

“Here,” he said to himself, “It will do.”

He took the parts for his device out of their boxes and began assembling it. His universe-jumping device consisted of several Tesla coils, a Faraday cage, the engine from one of Wilhelm Tesla’s sports cars, several canisters of liquid coolant, amphilicite from a Tesla Dynamic quarry, some classified technology “borrowed” from Conrad, a portable generator, and a repurposed Apple 2. As he connected the generator and initiated the boot up sequence on the computer, he checked the vial with the cure. He heard footsteps approaching and looked up, seeing Carla and Mina walking toward him.

“See you’ve changed your mind, Carla,” Walter said, “Good.”

“On the contrary,” Carla said, pointing to Mina.

Walter sighed. “You disappoint me, Dr. Werner. Go home, Mina. There's work to be done here.”

“Walter, don't do this,” Mina said.

“Oh, I'll be there and back before you know it,” Walter said.

“That's not the point,” Mina said, “We both know there's more to it than that.”

Walter hit another key on the computer. “I don't mean to say creating a doorway between universes is trivial. I'm simply suggesting…”

“Now if Wilhelm were here…” Mina said.

Wilhelm were here?” Walter said. “He'd be applauding.”

“Well, that's not true,” Mina said.

“No?” Walter said. “Then why isn't he here?”

“The funding, his schedule,” Mina said.

“Oh, he's in India chasing funding?” Walter said. “The CEO of Tesla Dynamic? Too busy to come and stop me from destroying the universe? How many times have you rang him today? Once? Twenty? How many times has he returned your call? You know how many times Wilhelm encouraged me to take this very risk? To expedite our espionage program? ‘Why simply take a peek into the other universe, Walter, when you can go there?’ So up until now, he couldn't make me find a way to try to get there until I had to find a way.”

“No, I don't believe that,” Mina said.

“No, no, you wouldn't, because you don't understand him,” Walter said, “Like your mother, like everyone else, you're blinded by the charming manner, the air of intelligence, the whole damn show. All Wilhelm Tesla ever cared about was finding a way to increase the power and the wealth and the legend of the Tesla family, of Wilhelm Tesla in particular.”

“Walter, regardless of what Wilhelm wants, or who he is, I know why you're doing this,” Mina said, “I understand. You know how much Anna meant to me, and how difficult it will be for me to admit she's gone. But... this. This isn't the answer.”

“No,” Walter said, “I won’t let her die again.”

He pushed a button, and the Tesla coils fired up, distorting the air between them to create a portal to Reiden Lake on the other side. Over there, it was snowing. He zipped up his jacket and started walking through the portal.

“No!” Mina shouted. “Walter! I won't let you do it! Walter!”

She tackled Walter just as he walked through and the portal collapsed. Walter fell on the ice and groaned in pain. He looked to his side and saw Mina’s severed arm lying on the ice. He then reached into his jacket to check the cure, but the vial was broken.

“Oh, scheiße,” he said.

Inside the Reiden Lake house, the alternate Annie walked into Anna’s room, where she was practicing a trick with her favorite silver dollar.

“Hey,” she said, “You're supposed to be getting some rest.”

“Look, Annie,” Anna said, flipping the coin over her fingers, "I've almost got it.”

“Okay, let’s take a look,” Annie said, taking the coin, “Here, let's see, okay. It's like this.”

She flipped the coin over her fingers and onto her other hand before handing it back to Anna.

“Okay, slowly,” Annie said, “One finger at a time. Okay? Slowly. Two... Three.”

Anna did the trick perfectly. Both sisters smiled.

“Good job,” Annie said, walking to the door, “Get some sleep, okay? Good night, Anna.”

“Annie?” Anna said.

Annie turned around. “Yes?”

“I want you to have it,” Anna said.

“What, Anna?” Annie said.

“My lucky silver dollar,” Anna said, holding up the coin, “I want you to have it and my Macintosh Plus if I die.”

“Anna, well…” Annie said.

“It's okay,” Anna said, “I'm not scared.”

“Listen,” Annie said, “Nothing is going to happen to you, sis. I promise. You’ll be fine. You just need to get some rest now, okay?”

“Okay,” Anna said.

“Alright, I’ll see you in the morning,” Annie said, walking out.

A couple minutes later, Walter entered the darkened room through the window and stood in front of Anna.

“Dad?” Anna said.

“Hello, Anna,” Walter said, wiping away a tear.

“Dad?” Anna said. "Are you alright?”

“Yes,” Walter said.

Elisabeth walked into the room and saw Walter.

“Walter?” she said. “What are you doing here? I thought you were working late in Strasburg.”

“I, uh…” Walter said.

“Walter, what are you wearing?” Elisabeth said. “Where did you get that coat?”

“I think I found a cure,” Walter said.

“Are you certain?” Elisabeth said.

“Yes, I believe so,” Walter said, "I'll need to take her back to the lab. I need to leave now.”

“Yes,” Elisabeth said, “Yeah, of course. Um, Anna, darling, get up. I'm getting you dressed.”

Anna got out of bed, and Elisabeth helped her get into traveling clothes while Walter looked back at the lake. Wilhelm was watching them.

“Elizabeth?” Walter said.

“Yes?” Elisabeth said.

“May I have a word, please?” Walter said.

“Yeah, of course,” Elisabeth said, joining Walter in the hallway, “What is it?”

“I think you should stay here,” Walter said.

“What?” Elisabeth said.

“The cure, there's still testing to be done, and it could take all night to find the correct dosage,” Walter said.

“Well, I can pack a bag,” Elisabeth said.

“No,” Walter said, “No, you haven't slept in weeks. If it works, there could be many days and weeks of recuperation. Anna will need you. She'll need you to be strong.”

“Walter…” Elisabeth said.

“Please,” Walter said.

“I'm fine,” Elisabeth said.

“Please, Liz,” Walter said, "I need you not to doubt me.”

Elisabeth sighed. “Okay.”

She walked back over to Anna and felt her forehead. “Oh, God, she's burning up.”

“We should leave,” Walter said.

Elisabeth handed Anna her silver dollar. “You take this for luck. I love you very much.”

“I love you too, mom,” Anna said.

“I'm going to be waiting for you right here,” Elisabeth said, “Okay? Okay, go on. Gloves.”

As Anna put on her gloves, Elisabeth turned to Walter. “Bring her back to me.”

“I promise,” Walter said.

He led Anna across the lake, back to where he had generated the portal.

“Are you warm enough?” he asked.

“I'm cold,” Anna complained.

“Me too,” Walter said, “Just a little farther.”

“Where are we going?” Anna said. “Why aren't we taking the car?”

“We can't get where we're going in a car,” Walter said.

Anna stared at him. “You're not my dad, are you?”

“Of course I am,” Walter said, “Who else would I be? I'm going to make you all better.”

He took out a remote control and pushed the button. The portal appeared in front of them, and they walked through, arriving back in Walter’s universe amid his equipment. Carla and Mina were nowhere to be seen.

“We did it,” he said.

Just as he said that, the ice beneath him cracked, and they fell into the frigid lake waters. Walter desperately tried pushing Anna out of the water, but the ice had already froze over again. He tried hitting the ice, but it was no use. He ran out of air and struggled to remain conscious. Anna had already gone limp. Just when he thought it was over, Wilhelm materialized next to them. He lightly tapped them on their foreheads, and suddenly they were above the ice, all dry. Walter quickly lost consciousness.

Outside Strasburg - 9:00 PM

Walter regained his focus as a passenger in the Impala. He looked to his left and saw Wilhelm driving it. He looked behind him and saw Anna asleep under a blanket.

“Is she okay?” Walter asked.

Wilhelm nodded.

“Who are you?” Walter said, just as Wilhelm said that.

“You’re the man I saw in the lab over there,” Walter said.

“Yep,” Wilhelm said.

“What happened to Carla and Mina?” Walter said.

“They went to a hospital,” Wilhelm said, “You did cut off Mina’s arm.”

“And Anna?” Walter said.

“She won’t live much longer,” Wilhelm said, “You need to cure her. We’re approaching Strasburg now.”

“Why are you driving?” Walter said. “Can’t you just teleport us there?”

Wilhelm pulled the car over and got out. “No, you’re driving.”

“Why did you save us?” Walter said.

“I frakked up, and I needed to fix it,” Wilhelm said, “The girl is important. She needs to live."

He teleported away.

Walter’s lab - 10:00 PM

Anna lay on a bed, connected to a IV drip through which the cure was being administered. Life-support systems monitored her steady vitals. Walter sat next to her, watching her progress, as Carla walked in.

“I just got back from Strasburg General,” she said, “Dr. Tesla called in a team of specialists. He has some thoughts on Mina’s arm.”

“Thank you for coming in to help with Anna, after all that happened,” Walter said, “I’m sorry.”

“Of course, Walter,” Carla said, "She looks better.”

“Yes,” Walter said, “She's getting her color back. Seems to be working.”

“You're going to return her?” Carla said.

“Yes,” Walter said, “Once she's stabilized.”

“Good,” Carla said, walking out, “I’d like to go now.”

“Of course,” Walter said, “Thank you.”

Elisabeth waked through the door.

“Walter?” she said. “You didn't come home on time. I was worried about you. I thought…"

She saw Anna lying on the bed, sleeping peacefully.

“How?” she said.

“She was dying, Elisabeth,” Walter said, “This is the girl I showed you, the other Anna. It was the only way I could save her.”

Elisabeth ran over and hugged her, crying. “Oh. Oh, God. Oh, my baby. Oh, my baby.”

“Elisabeth, don’t,” Walter said, “She's not ours. I have to take her back.”

Angela’s hotel room - January 24, 2010, 4:00 AM

“…and I realized at that moment that despite what I'd promised, what I fully intended to do...I could never take Anna back,” Walter said, “The way she looked at her, I saw in her what I feared most in myself when I saw her... that I couldn't lose her again. It was the first hole, Angie. The first breach. The first crack in a pattern of cracks, spaces between the worlds. She doesn’t remember it because her memories were scrambled by the cold water, but it’s still my fault. You can't imagine what it's like to lose a child.”

Angela stared at him, trying to process what he had just said. Then she slowly nodded.

“No, Walter, I do know,” she said.

As painful as this all was for Walter, I have to imagine the other Walter and his family are in even more pain, considering from their perspective, Walter showed up, took Anna who then vanished, and presumably their actual Walter arrived home and had no explanation for what happened.