The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One way or another someone's gonna get sacked by the end of this debacle. And sadly it looks like Diana might take the fall. Josh is becoming a problem in retrospect, no matter his logic, information is important. Gonna be putting on my tinfoil hat and say a conspiracy is afoot.

One way or another someone's gonna get sacked by the end of this debacle. And sadly it looks like Diana might take the fall. Josh is becoming a problem in retrospect, no matter his logic, information is important. Gonna be putting on my tinfoil hat and say a conspiracy is afoot.
Something is afoot...

Of course a conspiracy is afoot. Something is coming... we learned that from the angels chatting, didn't we?

After the Game

Berlin - May 8

“…for years us Mexicanists have been forced to hide in the shadows, driven underground by the infidel Thordarsson and his godless Roman backers. But now, we have the power to overthrow this order and establish a new one, back in its proper place…”

Heinrich paused the video.

“I think I’ve seen enough,” he said, “As the rest of the country has.”

“Who kept broadcasting through the whole thing?” Diana said.

“Apparently most Schmitz channels didn’t get the memo,” Thierry said, “As did plenty of channels owned by other networks. We’re going to change this soon. A bipartisan bill to tighten network regulations and increase the reach of Watchtower should be passed tomorrow.”

“Frak, this is bad,” Diana said.

“But look on the bright side,” Wilhelm Karl said, “You took out those terrorists. We’ve arrested everyone who was still alive, and you killed their leader.”

“Their leader was about to spill the beans on the entire operation when an overeager Argus guard killed him,” Diana said, “If we kept him alive, we’d know who was funding them.”

“Yes, a shame, isn’t it?” Elias said. “A shame you couldn’t protect him.”

“A shame,” Wilhelm Karl said, “But what’s done is done.”

“I think his final words are still enough for me to follow a lead,” Diana said, “I’m going to start combing through records of a Matteus from Bern. See who he’s been in contact with, what he was up to in the last few years…”

“No,” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Excuse me?” Diana said.

“The Athanatoi will not be investigating this matter,” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Why?” Diana said.

“The terrorist cell responsible for the Uberbowl massacre is neutralized, and the Bureau of Justice has already uncovered a credible backer for them,” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Beretta Industries,” Elias said, “A rival to Tesla Dynamic in the arms business. Or rather, Tesla Dynamic is the upstart the centuries-old Beretta family keeps trying to put down. They were jealous Tesla Dynamic won the contract to redesign the stadium years ago and sponsored many of the athletes on both teams, so they decided to fund terrorists to get their revenge.”

“That sounds ridiculous,” Diana said, “As I said, there should be a formal investigation under the auspices of the Athanatoi Home Division…”

“But the Bureau of Justice under Minister Thalman has already begun investigating Beretta, and the preliminary results are very promising,” Thierry said, “It is likely they are the masterminds.”

“Director, I appreciate your eagerness, but your job is done,” Wilhelm Karl said, “And you didn’t do a particularly good job in Paris, did you? Last I heard, both the entire Patriots and Lilies teams were slaughtered, with the poor Tomas Patricia especially butchered, not to mention maybe 47 civilians in attendance were killed alongside them. And the eight Argus personnel we lost in the process.”

“There were Argus personnel on the scene?” Diana said. “I seem to remember them only showing up at the very end.”

“Then you remembered wrong,” Elias said, “Because they were there, and they lost eight men.”

“Drop it, Director,” Wilhelm Karl said, “The Bureau of Justice will take it from here. They have a good case against Beretta. And you frakked up in Paris. You must be getting old. I think you should take a break while the Diet launches an independent investigation into your conduct. The Athanatoi has demonstrated it has gotten complacent and incompetent with its handling of such important matters of national security. We will be transferring most of your duties and responsibilities to Heimat Security for the time being. If you interfere again, you can say goodbye to your job and pension. I’m not going to ask you again. That will be the end of it.”

Diana looked at Heinrich, who said nothing.

“I must defer to the Kaiser’s wishes,” Merkel said.

Diana sighed. She knew she couldn’t change anything. But she already knew that. And it was simply frustrating.

Brescia, Lombardy - May 9

The tranquil calm of the sunny May afternoon was shattered by several police cars zipping down the road, scaring off crows perched on the nearby power lines. The police cars pulled up to a large warehouse at the end of the road, and the officers got out. They kicked open the door and stormed inside, pulling tarps off abandoned machinery. One officer found a table stacked with flyers bearing Mexicanist imagery. Another opened a crate and found Nahua macuahuitls, obsidian daggers, and guns that showed signs of recent use.

“Looks like our intel was good,” the police chief said over the phone.

“There's enough evidence here to bury Beretta for an eternity,” Thalman replied.

Several hours later, the police burst into Beretta’s downtown offices and emerged minutes later with CEO Franco Beretta in handcuffs.

“This is an outrage!” Franco shouted. “I’m innocent!”

“Yeah, yeah,” the chief said, “That’s what they all say. It changes nothing. For the time being, we will freeze your family’s assets and close Beretta.”

“No!” Franco said. “Anything but that! Not my Beretta!”

Constantinople - May 16

Theresa met Anders and Diana at a bench in the middle of Kyparades Park.

“So what did you want to talk about?” she asked.

“It was more like I had a request for both of you,” Diana said.

“You couldn’t have told me at home?” Anders said.

“I wanted to share it with Theresa as well,” Diana said, “First, how was the investigation into Gertrude Anhorn?”

“I found something troubling while digging into the Strauss incident,” Theresa said, “It seems she may have come into contact with Brad Folger too, before.”

“Brad?” Diana said.

“Yeah, him?” Anders said.

“I dug up records showing Brad visited a red light district in Little Saray, Berlin,” Theresa said, “Several weeks later, Gertrude Anhorn visited him at the Reichstag. And then came his heel-face turn on India.”

“So she has him bought as well,” Diana said.

“I know I should expose Brad’s indiscretion,” Theresa said, “I’m a journalist after all.”

“And it would remove Gertrude’s leverage,” Anders said.

“But I fear she would get suspicious,” Theresa said, “And I feel like all this blackmail is part of a larger scheme.”

“A larger scheme?” Diana said. “For what end?”

“I don’t know,” Theresa said, “I need more clues.”

“I’ve got another clue,” Diana said, “I suspect the Uberbowl attack was staged or at least allowed to happen. Then they would point to me as incompetent and use that as an excuse to transfer my powers to Heimat Security and expand the surveillance state, removing me as a threat on the political side. Economically, they frame Beretta, which has always had a fierce rivalry with Argus. They refuse to sell weapons to Argus.”

“Argus?” Anders said. “Always knew there was something suspicious about them.”

“I don’t know how or why, but I just have this feeling,” Diana said, “Like we’re all poking at tips of the same iceberg, and it goes much deeper than we think.”

“The Justice Bureau also denied your request for an Athanatoi investigation, didn’t they?” Anders said. “Something’s definitely amiss there.”

“We’ll take a look at it,” Theresa said, “Maybe we’ll find a connection to Gertrude Anhorn.”

“Great,” Diana said, “Oh, and one more thing.”

“What is it?” Theresa said.

“This isn’t related to the other stuff,” Diana said, “But there was someone in Paris. One of the Argus guards. Anders, you remember Josh, right?”

“Yeah, Alex’s old bully?” Anders said.

“He’s an Argus man now,” Diana said, “He killed the terrorists’ leader just when he was about to spill the beans. Feels like a cover-up to me. And more importantly…”

“More importantly?” Theresa said.

“I looked ahead and found something,” Diana said, “I didn’t want to believe it, but it’s never wrong. Josh is going to kill me. And he’s going to kill you and Vincent, Theresa. And you, Anders. And Angie. And Olga. He’s going to kill all six of us.”

Diana knew she would never see Olga again.

Well. That's not great, now is it? Here I've been excited for Olga's return and now I better start lowering those hopes.

Could there be a new "Kaiser of Hell"?
Perhaps. I have no plans for Hell at the moment though.
Well. That's not great, now is it? Here I've been excited for Olga's return and now I better start lowering those hopes.
At this point, I'm pretty sure another theme of this story arc is "we can't always have nice things."

I guess this is what the Worm's crazy cultists have been saying, the X-Division will fall. Hang on, all these weird patterns over the years especially the behaviours of certain politicians (Especially that one senator). Could it be?

Has the Worm's clutches penetrated the very society of the Reich? Was all of the arc during the X-Division days a red herring?

I guess this is what the Worm's crazy cultists have been saying, the X-Division will fall. Hang on, all these weird patterns over the years especially the behaviours of certain politicians (Especially that one senator). Could it be?

Has the Worm's clutches penetrated the very society of the Reich? Was all of the arc during the X-Division days a red herring?
Hmmmmmmm

“I looked ahead and found something,” Diana said, “I didn’t want to believe it, but it’s never wrong. Josh is going to kill me. And he’s going to kill you and Vincent, Theresa. And you, Anders. And Angie. And Olga. He’s going to kill all six of us.”
Damn, and here I thought Josh murdering Oskar was bad enough. The fact we know the X-Division crew is gonna meet an untimely fate is bad enough, but knowing who’ll do the deed makes me even more uneasy.

At least Diana wasn’t fired like I was expecting, although the the political intrigue that resulted in her losing some of her power as Athantoi director effectively has the same affect as her being sacked.

Damn, and here I thought Josh murdering Oskar was bad enough. The fact we know the X-Division crew is gonna meet an untimely fate is bad enough, but knowing who’ll do the deed makes me even more uneasy.

At least Diana wasn’t fired like I was expecting, although the the political intrigue that resulted in her losing some of her power as Athantoi director effectively has the same affect as her being sacked.
The question now is...how will it happen?

Chapter 458: Crisis in East Africa

The year 2027 was dominated by events happening in and around Yavdi. In April, the Paulluist junta in control for many years was finally brought down by the Patriots of Yavdi, a CB-like religious right organization working with the Sons of Kaleva and Warriors of Perun, the medieval Suomenusko and Slavic holy orders. The Paulluists, with their deep military connections, attempted to fight back and retain power, but after a week or so of sporadic conflict their political influence was purged. The Tsar-Khagan soon returned, invited by the Patriots of Yavdi to reclaim his throne, and announced meritocratic examinations would begin soon. The newly restored Yavdi did not reopen talks with the Central Asian Confederation yet, but it immediately rejoined the Schengen Pact.

20180223170716_1.jpg

But that wasn’t the end of the Yavdian situation. Yavdi’s rejoining of Schengen meant its military access pact with the Reich was restored as well, allowing Roman troops formerly stationed in Central Asia and Siberia to return to bases there. The military had already tweaked its budget and strategy to not need those bases, but the Kaiser attempted to use the bases as a bargaining chip in a negotiations for an extradition treaty with China. The Chinese government, now helmed by a newly elected Guomindang-dominated Legislative Yuan, took an aggressive stance in negotiations, despite Chancellor Tsai’s calls for dialogue. Things came to a head when the Roman ambassador participating in the talks was insulted by the boorish Chinese delegate, rising Guomindang star Han Xianyu, in the middle of June.

20180223171758_1.jpg

Wilhelm Karl demanded an answer from Tsai, who managed to deescalate the conflict by repremanding the delegate. Things proceeded smoothly until the end of the year, when the treaty was finalized. At the signing treaty, a bomb went off, killing the Roman delegate and severely wounding the Chinese one. Yavdian military divisions remaining loyal to the Paulluists claimed responsibility for the attack, fearing it would lead to Chinese occupation. The Guomindang blamed the Romans for not providing adequate security and walked away from the treaty. Wilhelm Karl responded by fully reactivating all Roman forts in Yavdi and doubling the Roman military presence there to “assist” the country in rooting out the remaining Paulluists. This led to protests from both Nanjing and Yekaterinburg.

20180223172255_1.jpg

A new year began, and the 2028 Reichsrat convened. As had largely been the case since 2026, the different political blocs remained in their current alignment, unable to break out of the new arrangement they found themselves in following Baudet’s realignment. While still officially answering to Chancellor Merkel, Thierry Baudet was effectively the real power in the Diet after a couple years in power. He had the votes to pass legislation he wanted, forcing the establishment to make compromises with him. Under his eye, he passed sweeping reforms focusing on environmental regulations, corporate accountability, and government corruption. Despite many in the mainstream warning his policies would be dangerous for both the Ottonian system and the economy, nothing of the sort happened. Baudet played by the rules, and in fact the economy slowly began recovering from the recession of 2024. People regained their hope, and CB saw a huge boost in polls. On the ground, the Shepherds’ Brotherhood, led by Elias and Gertrude Anhorn, were instrumental in providing aid and welfare where government programs fell short. On many occasions, they visited poorer towns and cities, particularly those in the eastern provinces, to deliver food, set up career centers, and establish support networks through local churches and Brotherhood branches to catch people when they fell again. The religious revival of the last couple years continued and even flourished with the encouragement of the Brotherhood, Church, and CB, though some secular-minded Romans voiced concerns about the increasing closeness of church and state as well as CB's lack of attention to a spike in hate crimes and incidents of religious and cultural intolerance. Throughout the next two years, this troubling pattern continued, drawing the attention of many mainstream politicians who used the opportunity to blame CB, which fired back by saying the establishment's inaction and complacency encouraged the growth of such a climate.

20180223172355_1.jpg

As a result of the extradition treaty fiasco the previous year, the Chinese government decided it could not rely on the Reich being an ally forever. The Guomindang, with its deep connections to the old Guominjun junta, were more suspicious of the Reich, and some older members still had lingering beliefs in the inevitably and rightfulness of Sinocentrism. They viewed the period of Fuxingyundong and Minjindang rule between 1989 and 2026 as an aberration, during which the Romans and Thordarsson took advantage of China’s democratic weakness to carve away Southeast Asia and Fusang into their own neocolonial empires. But they would now correct that mistake. The Southeast Asians were brought back into the fold with a new trade deal. Vietnam and Siam voiced their objections to it, but they were overruled by Nusantara’s pro-China bloc. The Shogunate and Korea joined to gain better access to Chinese markets, while Penglai grudgingly joined—Zhao notoriously declaring Tsai and the Fuxingyundong/Minjindang “liberal order” as his enemies—out of a common desire to strengthen what was left of the Tianxia Alliance against a potential "greater" Roman threat.

20180223172751_1.jpg

But attention moved away from Asia for the rest of that year due to events in East Africa. Over the past few years, East Africa had suffered from a crippling drought. Rain was scarce, leading to crop yields dropping and causing the largely agricultural-based economy to plummet. This put financial strain on many East Africans, who divided themselves back into the groups they traditionally defined themselves as: Indians, Mutapans, Somalis, Hutus, Tutsis, and so on. They began blaming each other for their plight. The government in Mombasa, which attempted to provide a middle ground between the different groups, found itself also pulled apart and was barely able to maintain order. Its own troops began questioning their orders due to salary cuts as a result of the government no longer being able to support the current size of the military with such an economy.

Nobody wanted a war, but the Mutapa Liberation Army, a radicalized separatist group dedicated to an independent Mutapa, forced everyone’s hand by launching a daring but incredibly effective attack in Mombasa. Over the span of a single day, multiple bombs were simultaneously detonated at government buildings across the city, killing the chancellor, Indian imperial envoy, and everyone in the Sansad Bhawan. By the end of the day, the entire government was gone.

20180223173244_1.jpg

The MLA put out a statement claiming responsibility and declared the rebirth of Mutapa in the southern regions of East Africa. Over the next few days, the different provinces and administrative regions also began splitting away, with nobody to stop them. Some local governors declared themselves independent rulers, while other regions found themselves occupied by rogue military divisions or rebel militias.

20180223173307_1.jpg

(I was too lazy to change the names to anything that would make sense in-universe, but most of them should fit)

A variety of ideologies were imposed in the different warlord states, ranging from neo-equalism to Paulluism. In territories controlled by the Ugandan People’s Freedom Militia, a harsh policy of Afrocentrism and opposition to Roman and Indian influence led to war crimes committed against Indian settlements in the area, which were frequently slaughtered and razed. Those who could leave fled the region, but the surrounding areas weren’t better off. The Somalian National Army waged a bloody war with Abyssinian border guards which lasted for months, killing hundreds of refugees fleeing north. In the west, government forces led by the Indian general Ranjit Ahluwalia took back the city of Usumbura from the so-called "Swazi Republic." Ahluwalia soon turned the city into his base of operations and rallied any troops who hadn’t defected under his command to repel further rebel attacks. Not wanting an unstable country right on the Roman border, the Merkel administration acted, sending both Roman troops and private military contractors from companies like Argus to supplement government and Indian forces.

20180223175649_1.jpg

As a result of being involved in the East African civil war, India withdrew its delegation from the Summer Olympics in Kathmandu. Samrat Chakravartin Jayasimha explained his decision by saying it would be disrespectful to participate in a sports competition when his own troops were busy stabilizing an Indosphere nation. The Reich had no such qualms (even if it did cause a slight drop in Merkel’s approval ratings) and continued participating. As usual, the Romans won the most medals, with the Shogunate and Ryukyu doing exceptionally well. But the Shogunal team was soon embroiled in accusations of doping, casting doubt on the legitimacy of their wins. The real winner was Kathmandu, which despite being the capital of a Paulluist regime had been steadily thriving and expanding over the last fifteen years thanks to foreign investment and many Indians relocating there due to good economic opportunities, affordable cost of living, and a modern downtown. Population-wise, it was now on par with many small Indian cities.

20180223175955_1.jpg

20180223180020_1.jpg

Back in East Africa, General Ahluwalia worked with the Reich’s Gebhard Remmele and Livonia’s Boris Bradziunas to strengthen what was left of the government forces. Using Roman firepower to supplement his own, he drew up plans to retake the coastal cities that were crucial to reuniting the country. He needed Mombasa and Dar Es Salaam, of course, but he first had to secure Mogadishu in the north so he could use its ports to rebase Roman fleets and ship in supplies from India. And he had to move fast because neo-equalists in the south were expanding at a worrying pace, absorbing many of their weaker neighbors. For Ahluwalia, who had come of age during the Naxalite insurrection in India, this was unacceptable.

20180223180333_1.jpg

A Roman-Ethiopian-East African army converged on Mogadishu in an extremely aggressive push towards the northern coast. Throughout the summer, almost two hundred thousand soldiers fought their way through territory controlled by the Somali rebels, killing about eighteen thousand out of the estimated sixty thousand in the entire Somalian National Army. Bloodied, the Somalis were forced to abandon the city, and supply lines with India were established. Although the Abyssinian general Berihun Mikael claimed credit for liberating the city itself, nobody disputed Ahluwalia’s role in devising the strategy that got them there.

20180223181205_1.jpg

With Mogadishu out of the way, Ahluwalia could now push south. He coordinated his offensive down the coast with a Roman offensive up from Sudafrika and east from Loango. While the Romans engaged the Mutapa Liberation Army and the neo-equalists entrenched on the southern Zanzibar coast, Ahluwalia marched through the northern warlord territories, offering mercy to any who surrendered and nothing but death and destruction to those who opposed him. Rumors swirled of war crimes being committed by the Roman troops under his command, but they were never definitively proven, and the UN judge assigned to investigate later gave up and closed the case due to lack of evidence (as well as a formal protest from the CB-led Diet). But he was incredibly effective in his coastal campaign, and when he marched into Dar Es Salaam on September 9, many warlords in the south and west wisely surrendered. He spent the next seven months cleaning up the remaining rebellions in the south with Roman assistance, but the war was effectively won that September. Once the country was fully pacified and reunited on April 27 with the surrender of the last warlord, the Indian government’s first course of action was not to begin rebuilding the East African government but to honor Ahluwalia with an appointment as imperial viceroy, representing Jayasimha as head of state of East Africa. Countries throughout the Indosphere immediately began competing with each other over who could claim him as their national hero.

20180223181223_1.jpg

20180223181410_1.jpg

Back in the Reich, things slowly went back to normal. The Reichsrat convened again for 2029, but not much changed aside from a few seats up for grabs that year. The arrangement perfectly suited Thierry Baudet, who had spent the last year passing legislation he cared about. A carbon tax CB had passed was strengthened. Loopholes were closed so polluters were forced to make actual changes instead of packing up and leaving, while foreign companies not held to the same standards were charged a tax to continue operating in the Reich. After consulting with the chancellor of Russia, Baudet then terminated the Nord Stream project, overriding Merkel’s protests, and a week later announced a joint Roman-Russian project to install solar panel arrays in the neighboring regions of Ruthenia and Taurica. This had the effect of boosting CB’s credentials while making Merkel look like a relic of the past, still clinging to the dirty Nord Stream even after it was consigned to the dustbin of history. There were now rumors Baudet wasn’t satisfied with his current job and was eyeing Merkel’s office. People wondered if he could win and who he might pick as his running mate. Betting agencies and many political pollsters gave CB a not insignificant chance in the 2030 examinations, although they still firmly predicted a victory for an establishment candidate and party.

20180223182002_1.jpg

But tragedy soon struck. On May 1, at the end of the Uberbowl championships in Paris, Mexicanist terrorists attacked the stadium, killing many in attendance. The plot had been tracked by the Athanatoi, which had sent agents there as well as the Director herself to improve security, but the agency failed to stop the attack from happening. Despite tracking down and killing the presumed mastermind behind the attack minutes later, people remained in the dark about how the terrorists could have launched such a deadly attack many years after Thordarsson’s efforts eliminated most of them, especially in a heavily guarded stadium at one of the most heavily guarded events of the year. The blame went first to the Athanatoi and Director Diana Frank but was soon pinned solely on Merkel, who was seen as incompetent and out of touch when it came to dealing with a renewed Mexicanist threat. The 2030 examination campaign opened on July 1, and it quickly became a referendum on 25 long years of Merkel. As expected, Baudet announced his candidacy for chancellor, and CB and its coalition rallied around him. He smelled blood and believed with Merkel significantly weakened over the last five years, it was finally time to take down the party cartel.

20180223182913_1.jpg

2030 would prove to be the most consequential examination to date in Roman history.

---

Another short one since I cut out a bunch of unnecessary stuff like another Russian bankruptcy and some extra stuff relating to battles and troop movements.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That last line worries me. We've already had a lot happen in such little time, I don't know what 2030 has in store.

No Time to be Afraid

Constantinople - May 16, 2029

“What do you mean Josh is going to kill us all?” Anders said.

“You saw what he did at Alex's protest,” Diana said, “Something will happen. And it will happen soon, I think.”

“What is?” Theresa said.

“I don’t know,” Diana said, “But it’s bad. We need to be ready.”

“Yeah, we should work on avoiding this ominous prophecy of yours,” Anders said.

“You don’t understand,” Diana said, “I’ve seen it, therefore it’s already happened, and it will happen again.”

“‘All this has happened before, and it will happen again’,” Theresa quoted, “Ocuil Acatl.”

“'What was shall be, what shall be was'?” Anders said. “That phrase you said you heard those cultists saying.”

“Now I’m starting to get what that means,” Diana said, “The future is already written. The best thing we can do is plan around it.”

“Can’t we just, you know, neutralize Josh?” Anders said. “Somehow?”

“What are you suggesting?” Diana said.

“I don’t know, incapacitate him?” Anders said. “Minority Report him?”

“I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t work,” Diana said, “Even if you worked up the stomach to murder a technically innocent person for something he hasn't done yet and go to jail for it, some random occurrence will ensure he survives that, and then he’ll probably get the motivation to kill us for real.”

“So like how Franz Joseph arrested that one Lombard anarchist because he feared he would assassinate a royal family member, but he got the motivation to actually do that and killed Sisi?” Theresa said.

“Yeah,” Diana said, "Sometimes, I suspect he was in a similar situation as I am now."

“Can’t we just lock him up?” Anders said. “Until it’s all over?”

“There won't be an over,” Diana said, “I keep telling you, there’s no way out.”

“Why are you telling us this then?” Anders said. “I thought you didn’t want us to know.”

“I don’t know,” Diana said, “I didn’t want to keep it a secret. I wanted all of us to be in the loop, so to speak. So we can plan around it. Our time is limited, so let’s do our best to get our affairs in order and prepare as best as we can.”

“When exactly do we die?” Theresa said.

“Not sure,” Diana said, “So we should get it done as soon as possible.”

Meritocracy Now - June 3

Wilhelm Kurtz looked up from his desk and saw Anders and Theresa walking in.

“Ah, Agent Humboldt!” Kurtz said, shaking Anders’ hand. “Nice to see you!”

“Nice to see you too, Herr Kurtz,” Anders said, “And nowadays it’s just Anders Humboldt.”

“What brings you here today?” Kurtz said.

“I believe there’s something off with things in Berlin,” Anders said.

“Don’t you always?” Kurtz said.

“No, this is more…tangible, so to speak,” Anders said, “Nothing like Sentinel or whatever. Meritocracy Now is dedicated to protecting the fabric of meritocracy in our country, right? Well, that fabric is falling apart, and I need to know who is responsible.”

Kurtz thought for a moment.

“You know, thirty years ago, I would’ve thought you were crazy,” he said, “But nowadays, if you say something’s wrong, I will believe you. Do you have any leads?”

“It seems to go back to Gertrude Anhorn, wife of CB leader Elias Anhorn,” Theresa said.

She handed a file folder to Kurtz.

“That’s a copy of what I’ve found on her over the last couple years,” she said, “I think she’s been blackmailing certain politicians. And eliminating witnesses.”

“For what purpose?” Kurtz said.

“We don’t know yet,” Theresa said, “We’re trying to figure it out.”

“Well, CB has seen a rise in its political fortunes over the last five years,” Anders said, “They now lead a coalition in the Diet.”

“No doubt using the leverage Gertrude got,” Theresa said, “They’ll probably capitalize on that in the examinations.”

“Worrying indeed,” Kurtz said.

“We need your resources, Kurtz,” Anders said, “Di’s doing her best within the Athanatoi, but the Bureau of Justice isn’t helping, and the Kaiser himself is starting to interfere. It feels like this goes beyond just Gertrude and CB.”

“There’s something going on here,” Theresa said, “And we need to get to the bottom of this, before something bad happens.”

Kurtz read through the files again.

“Alright, I’ll take a look at this,” he said, “I can’t promise anything, but I’ll try.”

“Thank you, Kurtz,” Anders said.

“No problem, Humboldt,” Kurtz said, “And you too, Novak.”

“In times like these, we can’t afford to be afraid,” Theresa said.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ominous tidings in both updates, something big is gonna happen alright. A grim one. Also why do I get the feeling Baudet will be removed out of the picture once the true masterminds finally get what they want. Seems Elias has a knack for saying idealists never prosper, and Baudet seems like one of those people.

Ominous tidings in both updates, something big is gonna happen alright. A grim one. Also why do I get the feeling Baudet will be removed out of the picture once the true masterminds finally get what they want. Seems Elias has a knack for saying idealists never prosper, and Baudet seems like one of those people.
Feels like something's going to go down...