The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Basketball

Constantinople - August 2

“Yet another bad day for the stock market as the Industrial Average plunges nine hundred points in just two hours,” the reporter said, “As the downward trend observed over the last two fiscal quarters seems to have continued with no indication of changing, most economists have acknowledged the Reich has entered an economic recession.”

Anders sat at the dinner table, wringing his hands and looking at the letter in front of him.

“Goddamnit,” he muttered, “How could it have come to this?”

Diana, sitting next to him, was also as concerned.

“How long do you think the furlough will last?” she said.

“I don’t know,” Anders said, “They didn’t give a date.”

He slammed his fist on the table. “It’s those Schmitz executives. They bought us out and want to silence us now. Silence me. I’m not about to let them. I need to call Theresa to write an exposé on them.”

“Anders, calm down,” Diana said, “We’ve been through much worse before. We can get through this as well.”

“We can’t live on your salary and the money from the al-Dud case forever,” Anders said, “You know full well how long that will last us.”

Diana thought for a moment. “...three months.”

“Frak,” Anders said, “We may have been able to handle this if it was twenty years ago and just the two of us, but we have Alex now, and we’re getting old. This isn’t going to work.”

“Anders, please just calm down,” Diana said, “If we just plan things out I’m sure we can last until Alex gets a job or your furloughing ends.”

“And what if Alex doesn’t get a job?” Anders said, his voice rising. “What if the furloughing lasts longer than we expect? What if they fire me? What then? Come on, you have the answer! Tell me!”

“It...it doesn’t work like that,” Diana said.

“To hell with that!” Anders said. “You’re just afraid to share what you’ve learned of the future! Of our future! Of Alex’s future!”

“I didn’t want to create a self fulfilling prophecy!” Diana said.

“But you could do so much with that!” Anders said. “We could save lives, uncover more conspiracies like Sentinel, arrest the perpetrators before they hurt people!”

“And what kind of ethical can of worms would that open up?” Diana said. “I thought you were concerned about that when Cigarette Guy and Pavel were doing it.”

“I...what...uh...no, you misunderstand...” Anders said. “We could...at least use it to protect ourselves and Alex.”

“And what about Annie, Anna, Walter, Angie, Alexandra, and Olga?” Diana said. “And their own friends and family? And anybody they are connected to? What of them? I don’t want to go down that slippery slope. Especially after what I saw.”

Anders looked at Diana. “What...did you see?”

“How we die,” Diana said, “And I know there’s no way I can change that. No matter what I do, that’s how we’re going to end up. And whatever happens to Alex afterward...I can’t protect him from that. And what he does as a result of that...he’s already on track towards it. And I hate that I know that. You don’t want to know.”

Anders looked back at the letter.

“How did we even get here?” he asked.

“Beats me, I can't look back,” Diana said, “Forty years ago, we were just struggling field agents straight out of the Athanatoi academy. And here we are, a Director and her reporter husband, because of a damned basketball.”

“How about a reporter and his Director wife?” Anders said.

“Same thing,” Diana said.

“Isn’t that a conflict of interest?” Anders said.

“Not if I don’t share classified information,” Diana said, snickering.

“I guess so...” Anders said. “So anyways, how do we move forward from here?”

Diana took a piece of scrap paper and began scribbling a list. “Alright, we have this much money right now. Over here are our expenses. Now with a very carefully tuned budget, if we eliminate these expenses and reduce those, we may be able to last a year.”

“My streaming subscription!” Anders said. “Not my Star Trek!”

“I thought you weren’t watching,” Diana said, “Your exact words were 'not my Star Trek'."

“Alex watches,” Anders said.

“Well, he’s going to have to do without streaming for some time,” Diana said, “We have no other choice but to eliminate unnecessary expenses.”

Constantinople - August 4, 5:04 PM

Alex reached a crosswalk. Across the street, he saw a bus approaching, the one he needed to take home. He jabbed the crosswalk button, hoping the signal would turn green to let him cross. But as the bus drew closer, he realized he wouldn’t reach it in time. First checking to see if the other cars were far away enough, he threw caution to the wind and decided to cross. Of course, just as he began running across the street, an electric moped rounded the corner.

“Scheiße,” he said.

He tried jumping out the way, but the rider had the same idea and swerved, hitting him anyways. The moped slammed into Alex, knocking the wind out of him. He fell back onto the sidewalk and could only watch as the bus reached his stop and then drove away. The moped rider got off and ran over to him.

“Oh no!” she said. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there!”

“Owwwww,” Alex said, rubbing his head, “It’s my fault really, I was jaywalking and should’ve seen it…”

The rider took off her helmet and goggles and flung her long black hair to the side, and Alex was immediately lovestruck by her beautiful face. He was captivated by the young woman standing before him, although she looked absolutely terrified.

“…seen it coming,” Alex stammered, “I was…I…yeah…uh…”

The rider helped him to his feet. “You okay? Did I hurt you? Frak, I’m an idiot.”

Alex brushed himself off and regained his composure, trying his best not to blush.

“No, I’m fine,” he said, “Might have a slight headache, but nothing’s broken. Been through much worse before.”

“Wait a minute…” the rider said. “I think recognize you. Alex Humboldt-Frank? Son of Director Diana Frank?”

“Yeah, that’s me,” Alex said, “I don’t particularly revel in it though. But thanks for using my full last name. Not many people remember that these days. Surprised you recognized me.”

“I totally understand,” the rider said, covering her face and blushing, “I’m pretty embarrassed right now.”

They shook hands.

“And you are?” Alex said.

“Uh, my name’s Dorothea, but everyone calls me Thea,” Thea said, “Let me make it up to you.”

“Oh, no, it’s fine,” Alex said, “I won’t press charges, okay?”

“I insist on it,” Thea said, “How about I treat you to dinner? Tomorrow night at 7, uh…how about Les Halles?”

“Les Halles?” Alex said. “That fancy French place on Johan and Park? I honestly don’t have any clothes nice enough for it.”

Thea smiled and put her helmet and goggles back on.

“Don’t worry, Alex, I’ll take care of it,” she said, “Just show up. So it’s a date?”

“Uh, um, yeah, sure,” Alex stammered, “I mean great! Yeah! I’ll see you then.”

Les Halles - August 5, 6:50 PM

The sun disappeared behind the skyscrapers of downtown Constantinople, covering the Park and Johan streets in shade. Alex got off his bus and stood in front of the Les Halles restaurant, marveling at the Strauss playing from the loudspeakers, the candles and multiple utensils placed at every table, and the fancy clothes of everyone eating inside. He looked down at his own casual clothes. He was no stranger to luxury, having been at the Kaiser’s funeral as well as a bunch of his parents’ awards ceremonies, but that was before the recession, and he had never been to a restaurant this fancy. The Arcadia suited him when he wanted to eat a good steak. He sighed to himself. Thea was too insistent yesterday. There was no turning her down now. He went inside, and a butler greeted him.

“Welcome to Les Halles,” he said, “Master Humboldt-Frank.”

“Uh, master?” Alex said.

“That is your name, right?” the butler said.

“Yeah, let’s just stick with Alex,” Alex said.

“As you wish, Master Alex,” the butler said.

Alex wanted to scream.

The butler led him to a fitting room and took Alex’s light jacket. He pulled out a set of formal clothes from a box on the table and helped Alex change into them. After changing, Alex took a moment to look at himself in the mirror.

“Looking cool, Alex,” he said to himself.

If only Chris and Rahul were here. Although Chris didn’t particularly like bragging or fancy clothes. Now that he thought about it, Rahul didn’t either. He followed the butler to a table where he saw Thea wearing an elegant purple dress and blushed. Alex sat next to her, and a waiter set down cups of sparkling water.

“You made it,” Thea said.

“Uh, yeah,” Alex said, “Thought I was going to be late because the traffic jam, butI’mherenowandthat’swhatmattersokayalsoyoulookgreat—”

“Uh, thanks,” Thea said, “And don’t worry, I’m a little nervous too. I’m actually a big fan of your mother. Followed a lot of her recent cases. Like the Frankfurt terrorist attacks you were a hostage in.”

“Really?” Alex said. “Huh. Well, honestly, I wish you probably didn’t see that. It’s not my proudest moment.”

“It’s okay, you had no say in it,” Thea said, “If I may ask, what do you plan on doing now?”

“Well…uh…” Alex said. “I just graduated but with the recession and all…”

“What do you mean?” Thea said.

“Let’s say things aren’t going well for my family,” Alex said.

Thea placed her hand on Alex’s. “Tell me. What’s the problem?”

“We got hit hard by the recession,” Alex said, “I’ve had to put my dreams on hold to support my parents through it.”

“That's not fair,” Thea said.

The waiter returned with two silver platters.

“Pardon me, Frau Tesla,” he said, “Your main course.”

He took the covers off and left.

“Wait, Tesla?” Alex said. “As in Theodor Tesla?”

“Yeah, that’s my big brother,” Thea said

“No way!” Alex said.

“I’m serious!” Thea said. “You want to meet him?”

“Wait, really?” Alex said.

“Yep,” Thea said, “I can fly you out tomorrow.”

Tesla Dynamic, Frankfurt - August 6, 10:00 AM

As expected, his parents were frustrated by Alex’s sudden change in plans, but thanks to the very detailed schedule Thea generously provided, he made up an excuse of getting an interview on site at Tesla Dynamic and not getting notified until the day before. Diana was suspicious of how organized and detailed the schedule was, but by then Alex was on a private flight westward. And now here he was, sweating profusely in the presence of Theodor Tesla while they and Thea entered a target range. But there was nobody firing at the targets. Instead, a large armed drone had been set up.

“Observe,” Theodor said.

He pushed a button, and the targets began moving around the room and hiding behind obstacles. The drone snapped to attention, its lights flashing red. It opened fire, not with a steady stream of bullets like from a machine gun but slow and methodical bursts. Each burst of bullets hit and destroyed a target until most of them were on the ground. The drone switched off.

“So, what do you think of this demonstration?” Theodor said. “I have to tell you this is only a grounded prototype and we’re still ironing out some bugs. Especially in the part of the code where we’re integrating Panopticon connectivity.”

When Thea asked him to meet her brother, Alex did not expect an overwhelming show of force with state of the art military technology. All he wanted was a nice light lunch with some coffee and a friendly discussion about life and current events. Not Theodor Tesla implicitly threatening to have him riddled full of bullets from an AI-controlled drone for laying eyes on his sister.

“It’s, uh, very…impressive, Herr Tesla, even for a prototype,” Alex stammered.

“Please, call me Theodor,” Theodor said, “So I understand you’re dirt poor.”

What did he just call him? Alex instinctively wanted to punch him in the face. He wasn’t really poor by any means, just in a bad financial situation. But he really didn’t want to jeopardize his job or dating prospects, so he kept quiet.

“Eh, well…yeah,” Alex said.

“Don’t worry, Thea told me about it,” Theodor said, “To be honest, I never would’ve expected the Director of the Athanatoi and the reporter who leaked the Sentinel files to have money issues, but then again this is a recession. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. I remember when I had my fair share of financial hardship. It was when Thea and I were little kids. The Red Army Faction, in one of its last attacks before it disbanded, murdered our parents. Thea was maybe one or two at the time. Now, as much as I like to call myself the nephew of Wilhelm Tesla, I’m really a very distant relative, far from inheriting the family fortune. We could barely pay for school. But I was fortunate enough that Wilhelm Tesla found me. After a particularly intense science fair, he showed up at our place and said I showed potential. On the spot he practically adopted me and Thea as his own children. And here I am, many years later, rebuilding Tesla Dynamic after old Willy went mad.”

“Theo, please stop bragging!” Thea said. “Just get to the good news!”

So the richest man in the nation was called Theo by his little sister. Alex made a note to remember that so he could use it later.

“Ha ha, very funny, sis,” Theodor said.

“Uh, what good news?” Alex said.

“So Thea emailed me your resume, and I was looking over it yesterday,” Theodor said.

Alex looked at Thea. “That’s why you asked me to email you my resume?”

Thea shrugged. “I mean, wasn’t it obvious?”

“Now that you bring that up, yeah, it kind of was,” Alex.

Thea laughed. Theodor placed a hand on Alex’s shoulder.

“Well, my little sister here passionately told me all about your dream to be a physicist and your family’s current financial stumbling block,” Theodor said, “I like what I saw in your resume too. That schematic you drew is possibly game changing. I see a lot of potential in a young man like you and I would hate to see you stuck in dead end jobs for the rest of your formative years, so I’m going to hire you right now!”

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!” Alex said, completely shocked.

“He’s serious!” Thea beamed. “My brother’s writing up the paperwork as we speak.”

“That—that’s good news!” Alex said. “I can’t believe it!”

“Now it may not be a truly physics-related job, I have to make clear, but it will be a fulfilling one and a…stimulating experience that only Tesla Dynamic can provide,” Theodor said, “There’s just one catch.”

“What is it?” Alex said.

“Treat my sister right,” Theodor said, his tone suddenly growing threatening, “Or else your finances will be the least of your worries.”

He gestured to the turret, which coincidentally annihilated yet another line of targets. Alex gulped nervously. He looked at Thea and then back at Theodor.

“Uh, yes, definitely!” Alex enthusiastically said, shaking Theodor’s hand. “I’ll swear it on my blood if I have to!”

Thea and Theodor both laughed.

“Thank you both so much!” Alex said. “I promise to make the most of this opportunity! I won’t let you down!”

“That’s the spirit!” Theodor said.

Constantinople - August 7, 6:00 PM

Yesterday was certainly a...weird day. But no amount of Theodor saber rattling with an automated machine gun turret could prepare Alex for today, because Theodor had suggested Alex return the favor and invite Thea over to his own house for dinner. Alex wasn’t about to defy the richest man in the world over something so trivial, so here he was, scared out of his wits at the dinner table. Anders was still reading more of his letters about the furlough, while Diana scanned Thea like a hawk sizing up prey. Alex tried his best to eat normally.

“So...” Anders finally said. “You guys met literally three days ago?”

“Yeah,” Thea said.

“How?” Anders said.

“She ran me over on her moped,” Alex said.

Diana couldn’t help but snicker.

“Reminds me of how I met Anders,” she said.

“Oh no, not this story again,” Anders said.

“What story?” Thea said. “I’m interested.”

“So there I was in the academy, studying for class like any good student would,” she said, stealing a glance at Anders as she said the last few words, “I was in the courtyard, when suddenly this basketball just slams into my back. I looked at the basketball court, and there was Anders, trying to pin the blame on his friends. But it was quite obvious to me Anders did it. He was red as a beet.”

“It was a lucky guess,” Anders said.

“You ran over and begged my forgiveness!” Diana said.

“Because I was scared of your mom!” Anders said. “We all were!”

“One thing led to another and he insisted on treating me to dinner,” Diana said, “We broke up a few years later but that’s irrelevant.”

“Please stop sharing that story,” Anders said, "And adding that at the end."

“No,” Diana said, “Oh, and speaking of moms...you know Anders’ mom is Elisabeth Tesla?”

“Uncle Wilhelm’s sister?” Thea said.

“So apparently Wilhelm Tesla is my dad’s uncle more than Theodor’s,” Alex joked.

Thea snickered. “What does that make us then?”

“You’re a distant relative,” Alex said.

“So how was the interview?” Diana asked.

“It went great,” Alex said, still picking at his food.

“Come on, you’re not going to tell them the news?” Thea said.

“Alright, alright,” Alex said, “Theo hired me.”

“Hired you?!” Anders said.

“Theo?!” Diana said.

“Yeah, terrific isn’t it?” Alex said.

“Three days ago, if you told me you had a rich girlfriend and a job at Tesla Dynamic I’d have called you crazy,” Anders said, “And you know me, I don’t usually use that word. Looks like you had your own basketball incident.”

“Wait, hold on,” Diana said, “There’s something missing here. Something important. Something very suspicious about all this...”

She looked straight at Thea.

“Uh, what do you mean?” Thea said.

“You call your brother Theo?” Diana finally said.

Everyone burst into laughter.

As a side note, somewhere in the next few updates I'm going to be dropping the times from the location/date tags altogether aside from some exceptions. I feel they're no longer needed.

Well, you know what they say about coincidences... there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, and no need to question some good fortune. On the bright side, Dorothea seems nice.

Well, you know what they say about coincidences... there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, and no need to question some good fortune. On the bright side, Dorothea seems nice.
I mean, with a brother like hers, what could possibly go wrong?

All these fortunate set of events simply because Alex ended up being late for the bus. That's quite a butterfly effect. Also Theodore threatening the poor guy eh? Guess the whole mad scientist gig is a genetic inheritance for the Tesla family.

All these fortunate set of events simply because Alex ended up being late for the bus. That's quite a butterfly effect. Also Theodore threatening the poor guy eh? Guess the whole mad scientist gig is a genetic inheritance for the Tesla family.
Butterfly effect's not over yet.

Teslas and eccentricity go hand in hand.

Reactions:
Monkey Business

Naples - August 29, 2024

Lothar Lorenz arrived on the dock. He looked at his phone to check the invitation from Strauss. The guy had arranged a boat ride around the bay, where they would discuss CMU policies should the current government remain in power. Strauss was also working on a speech for Merkel and wanted Lothar’s input on the draft. Sounded about right. He found Strauss sitting on the pier, the draft on a clipboard in his hand. Nearby, several young women played volleyball. This part of the wharf was more crowded. People were getting off their boats and walking around. Some gave him funny looks. Lothar must’ve looked very weird in his business casual attire. It was also quite hot today. He should’ve worn shorts.

“Hey, Strauss,” Lothar said.

Strauss looked up. “Ah, Senator, how are you doing this fine Saturday?”

“Fine,” Lothar said.

“Got to get some sun every now and then, Lothar,” Strauss said, “You look pale as a ghost.”

“At least you’re not calling me a turtle like just about everyone in this country,” Lothar said, “Anyways, where’s your boat?”

“Oh, the boat?” Strauss said. “Actually, my usual boat got held up in customs in Sardinia, apologies for that. But fortunately, we have another boat. Right over there.”

Lothar looked at the boat docked near Strauss. It was called the Monkey Business.

“Ready to unwind?” Strauss said.

“I thought we were going to go over the chancellor’s speech,” Lothar said.

“Oh yeah, we’ll do that on the way, but come on, Senator, relax!” Strauss said. “We’re in Naples after all.”

“I suppose I could unwind a little,” Lothar said.

They got on the boat. It wasn’t that big, but it was big enough. There were two floors and a front deck with a pool and some chairs. Waiters walked around serving cool drinks, while there were a few young women swimming in the pool. Another woman sat in a chair, apparently writing in a notebook.

“Why don’t you make yourself comfortable?” Strauss said, walking off. “I’ll tell the captain to cast off, then we can talk about the speech.”

Lothar awkwardly sat near the pool, with nowhere else to go. He quietly waited there, not knowing what to do. He should’ve brought his family with them, but he didn’t expect things to end up like this. As he waited, the women in the pool noticed him. One got out and approached, waving her hand.

“Uh, hi,” she said.

“Hi,” Lothar said, “What’s your name?”

“Donna,” Donna said.

“That’s a nice name,” Lothar said, “What’s a girl like you doing here?”

“I’m, um, actually a big fan of your work,” Donna said, “Your efforts to get the affirmative action bill passed? I really admire your zeal and dedication.”

“Well, I’m only doing my job as a senator,” Lothar said.

“So, uh, you mind if I take a picture with you?” Donna said.

“No problem,” Lothar said.

“Hey Lyn!” Donna said.

She waved over another young woman, who got her phone ready.

“Alright,” Lyn said, “On three, two, one...”

At the last moment, Donna sat on Lothar’s lap, and the phone camera flashed before Lothar could even react to what happened. Lyn walked away.

“What was that?” Lothar demanded.

“Sorry, I slipped,” Donna said.

“No, you clearly didn’t,” Lothar said, “So explain to me what’s going on right now or I’m going to call someone.”

“You’re not going to call anyone,” the woman with the notebook said.

She stood up and put away her notebook. As she walked over, Lothar was shocked to see the woman was actually Gertrude Anhorn. Lyn handed the phone to her.

“I’m sorry, Senator,” Donna said, “I really am your biggest fan. But I needed the money.”

“What is the meaning of this?!” Lothar said.

“Everything worked according to plan,” Gertrude calmly said, “This whole incident lasted less than five seconds, but if I were to send this to the media, they’d probably think there was some intimacy in the interaction. What would your wife think?”

“You can’t do this!” Lothar said. “I’ll get off this boat and call the police!”

“You get off this boat before this ride is over, and I’ll speed dial Die Zeiten,” Gertrude said, “With just one phone call, I could destroy your career and marriage. I think you wouldn’t want that to happen, would you?”

Lothar stormed off, not intending to fold. He went to the bridge and found Strauss there.

“Did you know this was going to happen, Strauss?” Lothar said.

“I’m sorry, Lothar,” Strauss said, “She left me no choice.”

“She...got to you too?” Lothar said. “Who else?”

“I don’t know, but you can’t stop her,” Strauss said, “She threatened to expose me for what I really am, and I can’t let that get out. It sucks, I know. I’m really sorry you had to be dragged into this, for what it’s worth. There was no customs issue. I just didn’t bring my boat here.”

Thoughts raced through Lothar’s mind, processing exactly what had just happened in the last several minutes. He couldn’t believe he had been so stupid to fall for this. And now he was going to pay the price. He realized he had no choice. Swallowing his pride, he went back to the deck and approached Gertrude, defeated.

“Alright, what do you want?” he said.

“You know what I want,” Gertrude said, “What my husband wants.”

CB headquarters, Berlin - September 4

Lothar stormed into Gertrude’s office and tossed a newspaper on the table.

“Mind telling me what this is all about?” Lothar said.

Gertrude casually looked up from her notebook. “What?”

“This article by Theresa Novak,” Lothar said, “The one detailing how Strauss has been...involved with little kids.”

“Oh, that?” Gertrude said. “He deserves it. People like him deserve no sympathy. I hope he’s brought to justice.”

“You leaked the relevant information to Novak, did you?” Lothar said.

“And suppose I did,” Gertrude said, “It changes nothing. Strauss is now public enemy number one and headed to jail. You still have yet to uphold your end of the deal. I still have that picture of you with Donna.”

“This is insane,” Lothar said, “I’ll go public. I’ll tell everyone what you’re doing.”

“You can’t,” Gertrude said, “You won’t. I have all of the leverage. People will ridicule your outlandish claims. An esteemed senator, accusing a political rival’s wife of blackmailing him? It would sound like another campaign stunt. It would only backfire against you. Especially when I then give an anonymous email to Die Zeiten with your picture attached.”

“ARGH!” Lothar shouted, stomping his foot.

“Now be a good boy, Lothar, and call a vote on the 1105 Commission,” Gertrude said, “And get the votes to pass it.”

“Of all of the things you could’ve made me do, you choose to make me pointlessly rewrite the national history curriculum?” Lothar said.

“It’s not pointless,” Gertrude said, “So will you do it?”

Lothar sighed. “Fine, but I can’t always give you what you want!”

“I always get what I want,” Gertrude said, “One way or another.”

Well, that's just disgusting behavior from Gertrude. Can't say I'm surprised, but still.

Reactions:
And so the ugly side of an idealist appears in a rather fantastic way. Gertrude ought to be careful with that sort of tactic, she's gonna piss off certain groups of people and might make a lot of enemies. Enemies that Elias might not have the capabilities of stopping.

And so the ugly side of an idealist appears in a rather fantastic way. Gertrude ought to be careful with that sort of tactic, she's gonna piss off certain groups of people and might make a lot of enemies. Enemies that Elias might not have the capabilities of stopping.
Don’t have to worry about enemies if they’re all equally blackmailed. taps forehead

Though if one of those enemies were to get out of the blackmailing, things would be instantly over for the Anhorns.

March for the Earth

Madrid - December 13, 2024

"Listen up, boys!" Kurt said. "Today, we will execute a raid on a secret bomb making facility located in the Barajas neighborhood. According to my sources, there is a room on one of the upper floors where terrorists are building bombs in secret. The police have contracted us to help with their counterterrorism."

The Argus vehicle screeched to a halt in front of the apartment building. Kurt and Gustav accompanied the police riot team inside. They went upstairs to the target room. Kurt took out a small tube, courtesy of Tesla Dynamic, and put it under the door. The camera relayed video footage of the people inside to Kurt's phone.

"If only the Panopticons were ready..." he whispered.

He nodded to Gustav and then gave the signal to the rest of the team. One of them prepared a Tesla Dynamic hydraulic battering ram, while the others readied their guns. Kurt held up his hand while he continued analyzing the video footage, waiting for the right moment. Gustav took a deep breath, and then Kurt gave the signal to move.

The door slammed open, and the Argus team charged inside, guns blazing. Bullets struck the windows and walls, while the people inside ducked and screamed.

“Police!” the officer in charge shouted. “Hands over your heads! On the ground!”

The scared young men and women inside did as they were told. Gustav continued aiming his gun at them before he found they were unarmed. They looked a little too young to be terrorists.

“Wait, this must be a mistake,” Kurt said.

“No, we have the right address, says so on the warrant,” the officer said.

“I don’t see any bomb making materials,” Kurt said.

“Well, keep looking,” the officer said.

Gustav continued scanning the faces of the people they arrested. There had to have been something wrong with this. These kids really didn’t look like suspects.

“...telling you, we’re not making bombs here!” a man shouted. “Only storing equipment for the protest this afternoon!”

That voice sounded familiar. Gustav went into the next room to investigate and saw the man get slammed into a wall and handcuffed by an officer.

“You can’t detain me!” he shouted. “The Augustinian Code protects my right to protest! I did absolutely nothing wrong!”

“Tell that to the judge,” the officer replied.

The man turned to face Gustav, and Gustav was shocked to see it was Josh, his nephew.

“Josh?” he said.

“Uncle Gustav?” Josh said. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m...I’m just doing an assignment,” Gustav said, “For Argus.”

“You know this kid?” the officer said.

“He’s my nephew,” Gustav said, “I assure you, he means no harm. Let him go.”

“Here Johansen, I don’t think I can do that,” the officer said, “The warrant clearly says...”

“And what do your eyes see?” Gustav said. “A bunch of unarmed kids barely out of college and no evidence of bomb making materials. If you trust a piece of paper over your own eyes, to be honest with you, you’d suck as a cop.”

The officer looked at Josh and thought for a little bit. Then he unlocked Josh’s handcuffs.

“Alright, you’re free to go,” he said, “Kids these days...not knowing their place...”

He left the room.

“Okay, Uncle, explain, now,” Josh said.

“After the recent riots in Prague and Brunn, local police departments have been contracting Argus to help them with certain cases,” Gustav said, “The local PD here received a tip of a potential terror attack against the climate march. They asked us to provide firepower in case we ran into armed resistance.”

“That makes no sense,” Josh said, “You could’ve gotten us all killed. The tactics you guys used were very questionable and dangerous. My wife Jenna was here and you could’ve gotten her killed as well!”

“You’re married?” Gustav said.

“You didn’t get invited?” Josh said.

“No...” Gustav said. “Look, I’m sorry for what happened today. I’ll have to put in a word with the department and Argus.”

“Honestly, it’s times like this when I wish I could defend myself,” Josh said.

“I could train you,” Gustav said.

“Really?” Josh said. "Hey, what if I join Argus too? Then you can teach me what you know."

"Are you serious?" Gustav said. "I thought I told you not to join. It sucks here."

"Look, Gustav, I need a steadier paycheck," Josh said, "And if I'm with Argus, I can provide protection for these people, instead of always contracting with the police. You could stand to make a lot of money too from the referral bonus."

Gustav sighed.

“Fine, looks like I can’t convince you otherwise,” Gustav said, “I’ll think about it.”

“Alright,” Josh said, “If I'm not being arrested, I'm going to head out to the protest now. Wouldn’t want to be late.”

“Of course,” Gustav said.

---

The People’s March for the Earth was one of the biggest climate marches Jared could remember. About seven million people had filled the streets of Madrid to listen to leading climate activists and demand change in Berlin. Jared had just wrapped up another performance and was now listening to Gertrude speak in one of the parks.

“Last year, a behemoth slice of the West Antarctic ice sheet slid into the ocean, and all of a sudden the rise in sea level is now measured in feet, not inches,” Gertrude said, “The cities of Gunnolfsfell and Copenhagen have begun building seawalls. Many Chinese and Vietnamese Pacific islands are almost completely underwater now, and their inhabitants will have to relocate somewhere else. Meanwhile the forest fire and hurricane seasons are now year round. When will the elites in Berlin understand we are running out of time?!”

While this was a very important topic to discuss, Jared wishes Gertrude would go back to her earlier topic on Mittagslandian kakapos, those cute little flightless birds which were now critically endangered due to forest fires and hunting by invasive species. Yes, it had very little to do with the actual climate crisis, but there was something about the plight of endangered birds that resonated with Jared. He remembered her famous interview about the puffins. Perhaps this was her true calling? Or maybe if she wanted something more relevant to most people, she could talk about the die-offs of olive trees. Jared had visited a grove of olive trees in Greece once. The trees were as old as Prince Nikephoros, and they were dying now. Plenty of people ate olives or used olive oil.

“Yes, I’m aware there is some progress,” Gertrude said, “Many major corporations have committed to sustainable growth and net zero emissions, while all of the G8 countries have pledged to have a net carbon footprint of zero by 2050. China is home to roughly half of all electric cars and almost all electric buses in the world. Merkel has pledged to build a wind farm in the North Sea with Scandinavian help. But too many key measures are still moving in the wrong direction. China still burns half of the world’s coal. The Legislative Yuan recently passed a bill opening up much of the Siberian tundra to resource extraction, probably anticipating that with the permafrost melting, it’ll be easier to mine the resources. But they forget the melting permafrost will release massive amounts of methane and worsen the situation. The North Sea wind farm project was shelved in favor of expanding Nord Stream and the Diet beginning to map out new sea trade routes across an increasingly ice-free Arctic. Emissions would need to start falling this year by 7.6% annually and continue at that rate for a decade in order for the world to have any chance of hitting the widely accepted targets for stopping global warming. And this is just stopping it from getting worse.”

Which was why Jared believed there must be new leadership in Berlin. The CMU showed over the last thirty years it was only willing to take token measures to combat the issue. The SPR wasn’t better off as Schröder went off on his adventure in Mexico. It sucked the PMS and Greens couldn’t get more leverage in the negotiations for a left wing coalition, but at least getting Merkel out was a good first step. He’d focus on the SPR establishment next.

“Now, I admit I come from a privileged background compared to many,” Gertrude said, “I grew up in a middle class family with good neighborhoods and schools. I’m one of the lucky ones in a crisis that has disproportionately affected poor and minority communities.”

Jared too came from a relatively privileged background. Although his Lithuanian family wasn’t that well off, their lifestyle was still luxurious compared to that of many Eimericans. He hoped Gertrude could at least use her privilege to benefit those people too. Unfortunately, those in power definitely weren’t using their privilege to help. The news had just ran a story about the Minister for the Environment’s resignation. He’d insulted Gertrude and the protesters and then said climate change "is a factor that bolsters optimism" and "provides more favorable conditions for economic activity in these traditionally poor northern regions.” How could he be so callous? He deserved to lose his job. And how could he insult a bunch of kids with signs reading:

"the world is hotter than young Leo DiCaprio"

"every disaster movie starts with a scientist being ignored"

"the dinosaurs thought they had time too"

“Now look, human activities affect roughly three quarters of ice-free land with huge consequences for our climate,” Gertrude said, “Landmasses are natural carbon sinks, producing and absorbing greenhouse gases by a variety of processes. Our actions add extra levels of complexity to this already complex system. Before the industrial revolution, the amounts produced and absorbed were roughly balanced, but we’ve tipped that balance with pollution, deforestation, and agriculture. We’re not only producing more greenhouse gases but also destroying natural methods of absorbing them again. Take the Amazon, for example. You’ve all heard of the KRA completely deregulating and privatizing the forest conservation service. They’ve opened up the entire rainforest to logging and mining operations. We’ve all seen the satellite footage of thousands of acres of the Amazon on fire. New Berlin and its neighboring cities have been choking on smoke from those fires for weeks now. Researchers fear of this deforestation continues, we may be reaching a point of no return. The forest will lose its ability to regrow itself and start dying off, turning into grassland with depleted soil unable to soak up greenhouse gases. Climate systems everywhere will be thrown out of balance. We need to stop this now. What do we say to those burning the Amazon?!”

“ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!” the crowd roars.

“To all of those elites in Berlin who act as if there’s nothing wrong!” Gertrude thundered, suddenly becoming a completely different person. “How dare you pretend that this can be solved with business-as-usual and some technical solutions! With today’s emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone in less than eight years! There will not be any solutions presented in line with these figures today. Because these numbers are uncomfortable! And you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is! You are failing us! But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal! The eyes of all future generations are upon you, and if you choose to fail us I say we will never forgive you! We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not!”

---

While Gertrude denounced the incompetence of those in power, Josh scrolled through his phone. He was fuming at what he saw on the front page of Dikastirio.

“Environmental protesters in Madrid left all this rubbish on the ground today. Hypocrisy?”

The post was accompanied by a picture of trash on sidewalks. It was obviously fake. The trash cans read “City of Athens.” The trash itself looked like it came from food wrappers and flyers for a football game. And yet the post had a hundred thousand views, likes, and shares. How could people be so easily fooled? This wasn’t what their movement was about.

He accidentally bumped into someone. “Hey, watch...”

Josh shut up when he realized it was Oskar he was talking to. His old history teacher looked ragged and worn, with more gray hairs and wrinkles on his face. And yet he didn’t look angry or frustrated at Josh.

“Herr Oskar?” he said.

Oskar looked at him, slowly recognizing his former student.

“Josh Johansen,” he said.

“Uh, hi,” Josh said, reverting to his middle school awkwardness, “I didn’t expect to find you here of all places.”

“Well, what a coincidence, then,” Oskar said, “I’m here to make my voice heard, for the protection of the planet for people like you.”

“Isn’t that nice?” Josh said. “Especially after what I did to you?”

Oskar thought for a moment. “That was long ago. Everything has been sorted out since then, although I can’t teach history anymore thanks to the 1105 Commission’s new standards. Anyways, we’ve all grown as individuals over the last few years, I hope.”

“I sure hope I did,” Josh said, “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry. I was...confused. I shouldn’t have done that.”

“Admitting your mistakes is the first step towards resolving them,” Oskar said, “I’m glad you came to that conclusion.”

“It felt much better to say that,” Josh said.

“So how have you been?” Oskar said. “Ever since leaving Hofstadter, I imagine you’ve done well for yourself.”

“I went to college and got married,” Josh said, “Nothing much.”

“Still great achievements,” Oskar said, “Especially at your age. You’ve got the rest of your life ahead of you. I can see you going on to do great things.”

“Really?” Josh said.

Oskar patted him on the shoulder. “Of course, Josh. You’ve always had potential. You just need to make the right choice...and be yourself.”

“Uh...thanks, Herr Oskar,” Josh said, “Thank you...for believing in me.”

Oskar is a better person that me. I don't think I'd be so eager to forgive Josh.

Oskar is a better person that me. I don't think I'd be so eager to forgive Josh.
Getting a lot of Iroh vibes from Oskar. He is really the only person who still sees the good in Josh, while everyone else only sees the vulture.

I agree, Oskar definitely has Iroh vibes in his convo with Josh. It's up to him if he's gonna follow his former teacher's advice. I know it's unlikely but I hope Alex gets to see Oskar again, it'd be a nice reunion.

Gertrude is really rallying the new generation now. But will it be enough to change the leadership and finally bring an end to Merkel's tenure as chancellor? It'd be interesting once the election day arrives. We already know Willhelm Karl is supportive of them.

I agree, Oskar definitely has Iroh vibes in his convo with Josh. It's up to him if he's gonna follow his former teacher's advice. I know it's unlikely but I hope Alex gets to see Oskar again, it'd be a nice reunion.

Gertrude is really rallying the new generation now. But will it be enough to change the leadership and finally bring an end to Merkel's tenure as chancellor? It'd be interesting once the election day arrives. We already know Willhelm Karl is supportive of them.
I’m planning more for Oskar in the future so it’s definitely possible.

Don’t underestimate the establishment’s tendency to underestimate a serious outside challenge...

December Surprise

Brandenburg Palace - December 31, 2024

Wilhelm Karl and Merkel’s cabinet sat in the situation room, intently watching the news release the final results. Heinrich always hated how the results being tallied up were turned into a spectacle on cable news. They should’ve just given all of the examiners’ materials to Qualifications and only announce who won, with final tallies released afterwards once they were all said and done. But no, the news had to make it into something like the Uberbowl with two candidates “duking it out” in “swing Länder” for a decisive blow against the other. Whose bright idea was it to make it so candidates needed a majority of Länder to win, and who decided to put that as having greater weight than winning the most points? Unfortunately, it didn’t look like the current Kaiser was going to change that anytime soon. Perhaps Wilhelm Junior might be open in a couple decades?

“Alright, we are ready to make another prediction,” the reporter said, “Schmitz is ready to call the Länder of Silberfluss in Neurhomania for CB, completing Baudet’s almost total wipeout of the KRA nationally.”

“Frau Anhorn’s speech in Madrid must’ve turned many against the KRA,” Heinrich said.

“So much for their strategy to become Neurhomania-based,” Merkel said, “How humiliating must it be to have been routed so badly in their new home...”

“Your party isn’t doing so well either, Chancellor,” Heinrich said.

“Yeah,” Merkel said, “Scholz took away a lot of our examiner support when he joined Nahles’ ticket against me.”

“That is a wild understatement,” Wilhelm Karl finally spoke up.

“As in?” Merkel said.

“To put it bluntly, Chancellor, you also got absolutely crushed,” Wilhelm Karl said, “The people punished you for your continued support for Nord Stream. Frankly, I don't know why you still cling to it. And now it looks like the left has enough for a supermajority in both houses.”

“But I won more points and Länder than Nahles,” Merkel said.

“Yeah, and you’ll be completely powerless,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Unless...”

“Unless what?” Merkel said.

“You could form a coalition before Nahles does,” Wilhelm Karl said, “After all, I’m right here. You could present a coalition to me right this moment, and I’d accept it.”

“I don’t think I have the numbers for that,” Merkel said.

“You do, if you play your cards right,” Wilhelm Karl said, “The progressives would give you control of the Reichsrat and split the FMP off from the KRA, giving you control of the Reichstag as well.”

“There’s no way the progressives would listen to me,” Merkel said.

“They will...if you bring Baudet into the fold,” Heinrich realized.

Merkel’s face paled. “And why would I reach out to CB?”

“The alternative is Nahles forming a coalition and winning that way,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Personally, I don’t care who wins. As long as the Diet gives me the respect I deserve.”

“There’s no way I’m talking to Baudet,” Merkel said.

“With all due respect, Chancellor, we have no choice,” Brad said, speaking up, “Their delegations in both houses are now larger than ours if we don’t consider CSU seats.”

“I agree,” Lothar said, “This is the only way we can salvage your administration.”

“But at what cost?” Merkel said.

“Since Scholz stuck to party lines, you’ll need a new vice chancellor,” Brad said.

“Not Baudet, absolutely not,” Merkel said.

“Okay, how about one of us then?” Brad said. “A CMU ticket.”

“Folger has a point,” Lothar said, “He does have connections to CB. Perhaps putting him on the ticket would make Baudet more willing to join us.”

“Fine,” Merkel said, “I’ll fill out the paperwork first thing tomorrow.”

“And I’ll approve it,” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Brad, call Baudet,” Merkel said, “See what he wants.”

Brad made the call. After a few seconds, Thierry picked up. Brad exchanges a few words with him explaining the situation. Then he put the phone on speaker.

“All yours, Chancellor,” Brad said.

“Hello, Baudet?” Merkel said.

“Frau Chancellor,” Thierry said, “Good evening.”

“For you,” Merkel said.

“I understand you’ve been having some issues with the recent examination...no doubt you're calling me because of that,” Thierry said.

“You could say that,” Merkel said.

“I’ve already been talking to the Greens and certain progressive caucuses,” Thierry said, “Those we have common cause with on the environment. I’m willing to include you in the talks.”

“Name your price,” Merkel said.

“I’d like Lothar to lead your Diet delegations,” Thierry said, “The progressives trust him and would be more than happy to follow him as Majority Leader. He’ll also be exempt from the term limits that way.”

“Sure,” Merkel said.

“And in exchange for you remaining as chancellor, with a vice chancellor of your choice, I would like CB to be the leader of our coalition,” Thierry said, “With me and my fellow CB leaders given appropriate cabinet positions.”

“What?!” Merkel said. “Are you mad?!”

“You’re in no position to question my demands, Merkel,” Thierry said, “In fact, I could just put forward Nahles or even myself as chancellor if I wanted. But I’ll do you a favor and let you keep your office. I expect to be repaid in kind.”

Merkel turned to Brad and Lothar. “You can’t be seriously asking me to go along with this.”

“There’s no choice,” Brad said, “They have a larger delegation now.”

“Don’t worry,” Lothar said, “You’re still chancellor. It’s still your administration. You will still be in control.”

Merkel thought for a moment. Heinrich almost felt sorry for the chancellor. To be put in such a bad situation with no easy way out...he couldn’t imagine being like this. But he couldn’t dwell on this. It was her responsibility to move forward with what she was given. Heinrich was supposed to keep to the military.

Finally, Merkel sighed in defeat. “Alright, I accept your offer.”

“Wonderful,” Thierry said, “I look forward to meeting you tomorrow to discuss things with the Kaiser in more detail.”

He hung up. Merkel leaned back in her chair.

“What have I done?” she muttered.

CB party headquarters

Thierry turned to Elias and the other CB leaders. He raised a glass of wine.

“Gentlemen, today we’ve done the impossible,” he said, “Tomorrow, we will finally be leading the new coalition.”

The others raised their glasses.

“Tomorrow, we will no longer be outsiders,” he said, “We have finally been accepted as equals to the establishment.”

“Equals?” Emilio said. “Are you implying we are now part of the establishment?”

“Of course, this is only the first step,” Thierry said, “We aren’t joining the establishment, we’re replacing it. Over the next five years, we will use our new power to expand our influence and ultimately win outright in 2030. I’ve been told Elias is working on a strategy for that.”

“I am,” Elias said, “We will be ready to strike by then.”

“And the party cartel will fall, so we’ll have new blood in the Diet, at last,” Joel said.

“Love to hear it,” Thierry said, “Sebastian, how goes the talk with the progressives?”

“They’re onboard with what we are proposing,” Sebastian said, “A few trade-offs here and there on some token measures, like holidays and media regulations, but I believe everyone will be satisfied by the terms.”

“Especially the budget I’ve written up,” Josiah said.

“And to think we were written off as irrelevant five years ago,” Jacob said, “It’s all thanks to Elias here that we were so successful this year.”

“Oh, please, all of you were instrumental to our victory,” Elias said.

Thierry held out his glass. “To the future.”

“To the future!” everyone toasted.

Elias drank to his success along with the others. But as he did so, he knew he wasn't done yet. He was just getting started. There was more he had to do, and this was only a stepping stone to even greater things.

Die Zeiten

Anders walked into Theresa’s office, a stack of papers in his hands.

“Anders?” Theresa said. “What are you doing here? I thought you were furloughed.”

“I’m still working,” Anders said, “That’s the whole point of a furlough, which by the way is being lifted tomorrow. And while I was doing this work, I came across a few things. You remember that Strauss scandal you broke?”

“Yeah, guy was molesting kids, to put it lightly,” Theresa said.

“I’m starting to think the lead you received was intentional,” Anders said.

“Intentional?” Theresa said.

“Almost like someone wanted you to publish a story on it,” Anders said.

“Anders, the guy was doing...that to kids, of course someone wanted me to expose him for what he really was,” Theresa said.

“No, more than that,” Anders said, “I’ve been following the chain of events. Strauss was at a boat party this last summer a couple weeks after the incidents described in the leak happened. You want to know who else was at that boat party? Lothar Lorenz.”

“Doesn’t prove Lorenz committed a crime,” Theresa said.

“No, that’s beside the point,” Anders said, “Gertrude Anhorn was also there. And get this, everybody else at that party besides the three of them was found dead over the next few months.”

“What?” Theresa said.

“From random stuff, it seems,” Anders said, “Hit by a bus, drowned while swimming, killed in the crossfire of a gang war, drug overdose...only it’s not random, it’s coincidental. Someone wanted to silence them.”

“For what?” Theresa said.

“And now Strauss is outed as...that,” Anders said, “Which leaves only Lorenz and Gertrude Anhorn as our subjects of interest. Gertrude Anhorn, with her connections to CB and the Shepherds’ Brotherhood. Lothar Lorenz, whom the rumors say will become Majority Leader in the Reichsrat. What secrets happened on that boat? What did Gertrude find?”

“You’re not seriously suggesting she used Strauss and his crimes as a way to get to Lorenz?” Theresa said.

“No, here’s what I think,” Anders said, “Gertrude was aware of what Strauss did. She got evidence of it and forced Strauss to invite Lorenz to the party. There, something happened which gave her leverage over Lorenz, which she used to get influence in the CMU. To prove she’s serious about things, she leaked the evidence to you to destroy Strauss and keep Lorenz in line. And to cover any loose ends, Elias silenced everyone else at the party.”

“You’re making a lot of jumps, Anders, even by your standards,” Theresa said, “We don’t know she killed those people, or if those people were murdered. How do you know she’s doing all of this anyways? All you have is a timetable and some pictures. They don’t prove anything.”

“Well, we’ll have to investigate then,” Anders said.

“Your restraining order applies to both Anhorns,” Theresa said.

“Then do it for me,” Anders said.

“I can’t open an investigation without a concrete lead,” Theresa said.

“Okay, just focus on Lorenz then,” Anders said, “I’m sure we can find something. Please?”

Theresa looked at him. “I’ll see what I can do.”

Brandenburg Palace - January 1, 2025

Heinrich, Wilhelmina, and Tsai walked through the halls of the palace. It was Wilhelmina’s for the day. Her uncle was away giving the customary New Year’s address as always.

“So, I’ve been hearing your campaigns were quite heated this time around,” Wilhelmina said.

“Nothing that bad,” Tsai said, “Just the usual targets. Citizenship, coal mines, defense budget, and the likes. I won easily. Compared to whatever happened with Merkel this time.”

“I was disappointed only Merkel argued in favor of keeping the current budget,” Heinrich said, “Given the situation in Yavdi. And she was crushed that badly.”

“No, Heinrich, we are not going to invade Yavdi,” Wilhelmina said, “Not even to depose the Paulluists.”

“I know, I know,” Heinrich said, “But after they declared bankruptcy, we should at least prepare for potential instability on the border.”

“Which is where the conversation turns to immigration,” Wilhelmina said.

“If there’s anything I’ve learned since taking office, it’s that everything is connected,” Tsai said, “Decisions in one area affect another.”

“Yeah,” Heinrich said, “Which is why we need the current budget. What would Friedrich the Great think of the current army?”

They were in the August Chamber now. Wilhelmina didn’t know they had walked so far.

“I think my ancestor would think we have more than enough firepower,” Wilhelmina said, “He only needed as many troops as he needed to carry out the Restoration. No more. Once his goal was achieved, he sent as many of them home as he could. He’d think we’d be wasting money on a conflict that hasn’t even happened yet. I say we just watch the border and prepare to send peacekeeping convoys if needed.”

“With UN authorization,” Tsai reminded her.

“Of course,” Wilhelmina said, “Will you help us out?”

“If the Legislative Yuan votes in favor, I’ll do what I can,” Tsai said, “Yavdi is our neighbor too.”

They looked at the tall statue of Friedrich the Great, looming over Enonon’s display case.

“In times like these, I feel we need a leader like him,” Heinrich said.

“And my uncle isn’t that leader?” Wilhelmina said.

Heinrich looked at her. “To be fully honest with you, no. After what I saw of him yesterday, I’m concerned.”

They continued walking down the hallway. Wilhelmina looked back at the statue, hoping to get a spark of inspiration. And in that moment, for just a brief half second, she thought she saw Enonon’s blade glowing.

Oh, I forgot to mention this on Friday with the previous update, but Gunnolfsfell is the new name for Manhattan I'm going to use moving forward. Manhattan will remain the native name, while Gunnolfsfell is the name the Norse use.

Reactions:
I have been reading this Mega Game at least since around November or December 2020 at least fully. I have read bits and pieces of it in the past and I'm glad I have because every time I finish a leg of the AAR I take a breath and breath and feel like I just read a novel (In a good way). Right now I just started reading the HOI3 part of the story. A few days ago I asked @zenphoenix if I could make a few updates that are just about the History of China in this universe because it is my favorite country other than the Reich of course (laughs nervously as an Inquisition car slows down outside my window).

So here is the History of China from where @zenphoenix’s “Origins of Modernity: A (Long-ish) History of China” left off to the founding of the Chinese Empire. I will be posting the other parts over the course of this week. If I have missed anything please let me know.

Consolidation of China
The 1790s would also see the Ming, Tran, Song, and Jin, Dynasties (Although the Tran and jin would leave the war early) along with the Ghaznavid Empire declare war on India which would bring in the Reich leading to what some would call the war the Five Years' War or "Weltkrieg 0.". After the Song were placed in a personal union under the Ming. The fear that the Song would be brought back into the war led to the Treaty of Samarkand being signed in 1798 in a white peace. In 1813 the Ming annexed the Song outright becoming the colony of Aozhou. 12 April 1833 would see another showdown between China and the Reich over Yavdi refusing to submit to Chinese moral and military superiority. Despite a string of Roman naval victories the Yavdi Tsar would be forced to surrender on 23 January 1835. The resulting Treaty of Nanjing would have Yavdi give the Ming all of its eastern Siberian territories. As the Chinese people were celebrating their victory the demand for a Pan-Chinese Empire with the Jin continued to grow rather than disappear. The outcome of this growing sense of nationalism remains to be seen. In February of 1838 the Ming and Tran relations deteriorated even further. This was caused by the Tran trying to influence the Ghaznavid Empire which was promised to be in the Ming’s sphere of influence in the Concert of Eurasia. The Ming demanded that the Ghaznavid Empire anul all treaties and banish the Tran ambassadors.

On 1 May 1838, a new Chongzheng Emperor was crowned in Jinshan named Wanyan Xiongying. One of the people in attendance was Lin Zexu. Lin Zexu was a Confucian scholar-official at court who slowly became the face of Pan-Chinese Natonalist and he united them into one party called Fuxingyundong (復興運動) - "Revival Movement.". The followers became known as "Hongshan," due to the red shirts they wore. There were massive protests during Wanyan Xiongying’s coronation with many waving flags with golden dragon insignia symbolizing a united China and holding signs demanding for the three dynasties to unite under a single emperor. The imperial police were bright in to restore order. These protests would influence other parts of the world such as the liberal movements throughout the Reich. On 21 January 1840, Tran emperor Tran Han Thuong, passed away in his sleep. However his son Tran Thanh Loi did not have the same charisma as his father did. This led the Empire to quickly begin to fragment along national and cultural lines.

An example of a national being Lin Zexu and his Hongshan leading a series of protests in Hanoi and the other example of culture being a massive uprising by the Cham people who wanted an independent Kingdom of Champa. In an attempt to "root out the Cham insurgents." Minh Mang was given complete power over the government, this bypassed the government and angered a lot of Veitnamese and even many of the Cham insurgents who still fought on. In September of 1840, the Cham remained in power. Every time Thanh Loi attempted to send troops to crush the uprising they were crushed. On 31 October 1840, the independent Hindu Raj of Champa was proclaimed, with Nguyen Minh Mang crowned as Maharajah. With India being its only supporter. This event led to the Tran no longer being considered as a member of the Concert of Eurasia and was replaced by Abyssinia.

In April of 1842 Hundreds of thousands of Cambodian nationalists and liberal revolutionaries were spotted on the border with Roman Provincia Indochina. There were also Chinese pan-nationalists however these natonalist were not Hongshan. They were “excommunicated” from the party by Lin Zexu due to the fact that they tried to rebel as soon as possible instead of waiting for Zexu’s orders. Due to these Chinese pan-nationalists rebels having no loyalty to Lin Zexu they were not only a threat to the Tran but the Roman Reich as well. This prompted the Kaiser to send a legion to deal with them. The Roman legion was crushed by the rebels. Tran Thanh Loi eventually surrendered to the liberals and ordered a Ryukyuan-inspired constitution drafted. This caused a shockwave around the world and fueled the growing Maximist Movement in the Reich. In 1842 the Ming was able to wresul control of Ryukyu from the Tran Dynasty forcing them to pay tribute directly to Nanjing, as opposed to Nanjing through Hanoi. However the Ming would soon after turn their attention to the Tran themselves.

In May of 1843 Thanh Loi sent a letter to Kaiser Sigismund asking for the alliance between the Tran and the Reich to be restored. The Kaiser agreed with both using this time to demonstrate their perfect German and Veitnamese respectively. Thanh Loi declared war on the "illegitimate rebel state" in Champa but would only take small amounts of land at a time instead of fully annexing it. Two days later Thanh Loi decided to try and annex all of Champa but the Vietnamese Diet accepted an offer that Tran gets all of Champa’s northern provinces and Nguyen Minh Mang would pay tribute to Thanh Loi, visiting Hanoi every few months and personally kowtowing to him. Despite Thanh Loi protesting the move he could do little about it due to the limits set in place by the constitution.

In 1844 the Jin Dynasty would eventually lose its place on the Concert of Eurasia, being taken over by a resurgent Tran dynasty. In that year over a hundred thousand soldiers rebelled against Nguyen Minh Mang and attempted to subvert his efforts at reform. Nguyen Minh Mang was able to push the reform before they rebelled causing Champa to become "civilized.". However due to this rebellion Champa declared bankruptcy that caused the value of Cham currency to plunge. Due to the Champa government failing if outright refusing to pay its debt caused the Reich to declare war in hopes of Tran fighting the war for him and destroying Champa once and for all and forcing Nguyen to pay his debts. Despite some initial difficulties with rebels the Tran forces were able to overwhelm the militias causing them problems the Tran proceeded with their invasion of Champa proper, eventually capturing the Champa capital of Vijaya and forcing its leader Nguyen Minh Mang to surrender. On 2 March 1845 Vijaya fell and Nguyen Minh Mang was executed by Veitnamese troops and Champa reintegrated into the Tran empire.

While the Roman Reich was tearing itself apart in its Civil War the Ming on 28 March 1850 recognised the Constantinople government as the legitimate Roman government. They would then begin sending the Reich supplies and equipment to help fight the Maximists. Despite both sides knowing that there would not be any alliances anytime soon the Constantinople government knew it could use all the help it could get. Despite having relatively good relations with the Reich pre-Civil War the Tran decided to send aid to the Maximists Berlin government instead of the Siegfriedists Constantinople government. Due to another Central Asian war between Ming and India saping resources that would have gone to their respective sides in the Roman Civil War this caused both Roman governments to become strapped for resources. As the war progressed Ghaznavid and Ming troops managed to overrun Tibet, Indian troops punched through the Chinese front lines in Central Asia and advanced to Lake Baikal.

The beginning of 1856 saw the Ming and India continue to expand into Oceania. It also saw India, Russia, and the Ming and Tran Dynasties join forces to try and expel Roman influence in Persia. Also during that year Wanyan Xiongying decided to grant the Kamchatkan tribes autonomy for seven years. Three tribes, those being--Chukchi, Kamchadals, and Khodynt--were gained autonomy status as Jin puppet states until around 1864 or 1865, at which point the Kamchatkans would hold referendums on returning to direct Jin control. 1857 would see Jin and the Fox, Tawantinsuyu, and the Reich compete for the last unclaimed land in the Eimericans. With Jin and the Fox in North Eimerica and Tawantinsuyu, and the Reich in South Eimerica. This race would be called the "Scramble for Eimerica". The winners of this scramble were Jin in North Eimerica and Tawantinsuyu in South Eimerica. By 1858 most of Oceania was under Ming or Indian control with India gaining more land. Later that year also saw the Jin colonise the frozen Arctic wilderness. Now only the Yukang (or Yukon as the natives called it) and Beihai remained truly outside of civilization, but not for long.

In 1859 in response to a Roman Historic work known as the The History of Roman Civilization and the Rise of the Roman Reich being published a Chinese author, with some financial and academic support from the Ming government, published The Romance of the Four Empires, an epic "sequel" to the classic Romance of the Three Kingdoms, updated to fit the modern geopolitical situation in China. Hailed by many Vietnamese, Indian, Jin, and even Roman critics as being one of the greatest Chinese works of literature of the last five hundred years, it was published in vernacular Chinese and read by millions of common Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Penglai Chinese, Fusang Chinese, and Malays. It espoused blatantly pan-nationalist views right from the very first line, which was borrowed from the 17th-century edition of Romance of the Three Kingdoms: "The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been." Lin Zexu was among those who read Romance of the Four Empires, proclaiming it to be a harbinger of "things to come." While this epic would have been banned in Vietnam by the Tran government, it was actually promoted by the Ming government, which expressed interest and support for the Fuxingyundong. In July of 1861 the Jin banner armies had failed to win against pro-liberal rebel groups and were able to force Emperor Wanyan Xiongying to reinstate full constitutionalism after he tried to walk back some of the stipulations of the Constitution. This gave Roman Crown Prince Franz Joseph to oversee the updating of the Roman legions.

1863 would be one of the most influential years in the history of the Chinese pan-natonnalist movement, for it was on 24 April 1863 that Thanh Loi Emperor of the Tran Dynasty declared war on the Jiaqing Emperor of the Ming Dynasty. This war that is now known as the Sino-Veitnamese war was supposed to determine who would be in control of the Chinese tributary network. The biggest flashpoint for these tensions was the island nation of Ryukyu which was a Ming tributary. The Tran Emperor requested the new Roman Kaiser Franz Joseph to come to their aid knowing full well that a Ming victory could embolden the Fuxingyundong and strengthen the Chinese unification movement at the expense of a Roman ally. The Roman Chancellor Otto von Bismarck agreed to help the Tran but that help would be limited to two legions. One in Indochina and the other in Mittagsland. The war began with a Ming banner army besieging the Mittagslandian city of New Geneva. The Romans sent Prince Rudolf von Hohenzollern, one of Prince Maximilian's sons, and the 25th Legion to intercept the Ming forces. Despite claiming to be one of the best militaries in the world the Romans lost in the span of a month. The Romans lost about half of their legion with the Ming losing around the same amount.

On 5 September 1863 Rudolf launched a counter attack after regrouping at New Prague and the Romans ended up winning. At the early stage of the war the Romans had numerical superiority and defeated the Ming army in two weeks. This caused the Ming army who numbered around less than three hundred to retreat to the southern island of Aoteorea were they hoped to get reinforcements. Despite this involvement by the Romans most of the fighting took place on the Tran and Ming border.

Despite the Ming being able to control the coast and contest the center the Tran made headway in the west. The Ghaznavids were able to move to the east and the Tran were able to push north. Despite this progress the Ming defenders put up a fierce resistance. Worried that the war might become a stalemate Franz Joseph ordered the 16th Legion, in Bangkok, move and capture the city of Chongqing. The city was a known Ming military base. Meanwhile back in Aoteorea Rudolf was in the process of besieging Waizhu on the South Island. This battle was a Roman victory due to him overwhelming the Ming army in the city. The Ryukyuans in a surprise move had invaded the island of Ternate and Sulawesi. The Roman commander is reported to have laughed and claimed that the Ryukyuans would make good shock troops for the Tran. Waizhu fell to the Romans in less than three weeks with the Romans moving in to capture the rest of the island. In Mainland China Martin von Kleefield led an assault on the city of Chongqing and was making rapid gains due to the Ming not expecting a Roman assault and so did not shoure up any defences.

On 1 January 1864 Chongqing fell to the Romans, this made Kleefield move on to a nearby city. The Ming would attempt to retake the city thinking that Kleefield would not abandon his sege. They were wrong. The Romans with Tran saport beat the Ming back. The battle resulted in all nine thousand of the Chinese being killed and the Romans victorious. The Battle of Chongqing convinced the Jiaqing Emperor that the war was not going his way. With the Tran winning through south China and with being able to deploy more troops to the fight and with Ming banner armies being depleted the Ming sent an ambassador to Singapura on 28 February 1864 to negotiate a surrender with the Tran, that was mediated by the Reich.The Treaty of Singapura would see Ryukyu remain to be a tributary of the Tran, and the Tran's tributary network being maintained. Tran Emperor Thanh Loi wanted harsher reparations on the Ming but the Romans were against it. The Ming vowed revenge but knew that they could not win by military strength alone. This would lead to the Jiaqing Emperor to turn to Lin Zexu and the Fuxingyundong for help. The Romans left the conference with the belief that they had killed Chinese unification for good. However it would turn out to have had the opposite effect. Rather than kill the Fuxingyundong movement the war boosted its appeal.

The North-South emperor system, which was one of the few things that prevented the four (and then three) dynasties from declaring each other illegitimate was finally done away with after the Tran-Ming conflict. This led to both Nanjing and Hanoi to denounce each other as illegitimate dynasties, with the Ming proclaiming the need to reunite China. This would lead to men like Lin Zexu, who was by then in exile in Jinshan, to capitalize on this growing sentiment, in which he would build up a complex network of support within Vietnam and work to bring down the Tran from within.his first moves would be from inside the Jin in working to gain support. In 1866 the Fuxingyundong, at that time, had scored a major political victory. That was gaining the support of Wanyan Xiongying, who agreed to give up his imperial title and join a united China on the condition that he remain as "King of Fusang.".

This greatly worried the leaders of the Reich who knew that a united China would have practically unlimited manpower, meaning unlimited workers and soldiers which would dwarf the legions and overwhelm the Roman economy with cheap goods and services. In an attempt to stop this from happening Bismarck declared that the Reich would stand by its allies in the Tran and work together to protect the status quo in Asia. "There will be no China," he proclaimed to all, "None at all!". Lin Zexu planned his next move. That being, recruiting men to the Fuxingyundong cause with a thousand men had joined him already. In April of 1866, Lin Zexu and his Expedition of the Thousand boarded a steamer bound for Vietnam and left Jinshan. Bismarck and Franz Joseph had to act fast to stop him.The legions of Indochina and Adamshaven were mobilized, and the Tran government was notified of the developments.They could not let Lin win. Little did they know that the train might have already left the station.

Now let's take a look back and summarize the key events that lead us to this point.

It has been said in the famous Chinese work known as Romance of the Three Kingdoms that ""The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been."". However according to Lin Zexu "There can be only one.".

The Chinese unification, also known as Fuxingyundong (Mandarin: “Revival Movement''), was the political and social movement that consolidated the three major Chinese states on the Pacific Rim into the single nation-state of the Chinese Empire in the 19th century. Despite any lack of consensus on the exact dates of the beginning and end of the period, most scholars regardless of their beliefs toward a unified China agree that it was brought on by the Nikephoran Wars of the 1790s and 1800s. Some scholars argue that China had not been unified since the early Song Dynasty of the tenth century CE, but all agree that the Mongol conquest of China in the early 13th century helped lay the foundations for the geopolitical scenario of the next six hundred years. The Manchurian Jin Dynasty was forced into exile in North Eimerica, where it rebuilt itself in isolation until Roman explorers brought it back into contact with the mainland. The Song Dynasty itself was also forced into exile in Penglai, the southern continent also known as Mittagsland, where it lay until centuries of increasing Ming influence eventually saw its direct annexation into the Ming Dynasty as a colony in the early 19th century.

The Tran Dynasty was unique in that it was an indigenous Vietnamese dynasty that was founded by Chinese refugees. Following its conquest by the Mongol Empire, the title of Emperor of China merged with the title of Khan of Khans, used by the descendants of Genghis Khan until the late 14th century, when the Mongol Empire fell apart for good into rival factions; the Chinese imperial titles fell to the Yuan Dynasty, the Mongol regime in China. However, the other Mongol khans, frequently busy fighting the Romans in Europe, were largely absentee foreigners who had little interest in Chinese affairs. After the Chinese overthrew their Yuan Mongol overlords in the 14th century and established the Ming Dynasty, the four (and then three) Chinese empires gradually developed into a system of somewhat equal empires.

While many expected that Confucian ideology and the concept of the Mandate of Heaven, which stated that there could only be one Chinese empire at a time, would inevitably cause the four empires to turn on each other, surprisingly the Tran came up with the idea of northern, southern, and eastern emperors who would rule as equals over the Chinese cultural sphere. This situation persisted into the Enlightenment period but began to deteriorate with the rise of nation-states in the early modern period. Mainland China and Southeast and Central Asia became the site of proxy and direct wars between the Reich, India, and the Ming Dynasty, particularly during the Nikephoran Wars, which exposed cracks in the northern-southern emperor system. This had the immediate effect of influencing the Ming’s decision to terminate the independence of the still-exiled Song Dynasty, as they reasoned that there could only be one southern emperor, and that was the Tran emperor.

The Chinese campaign of the Nikephoran War destroyed what was left of medieval Chinese imperial social structure (feudalism cannot accurately describe the social situation of China during this time period). General Nikephoros von Hohenzollern, the military genius and grandfather of Sigismund II, promoted Roman imperial principles and citizenship over the “despotic” rule of the Ming bureaucracy in the territories he occupied.

By the time that the Congress of Vienna established the Concert of Eurasia, three Chinese states existed, ostensibly in harmony with each other. However, this could not last for much longer.

Nationalism increased in the early 19th century, when China, like much of Asia, fell under the sway of Nikephoros von Hohenzollern, whose military escapades across the globe spread Roman ideas such as citizenship, tolerance of all but heretics, and imperial bureaucracy.

Following the defeat of Scandinavia in the Last Commonwealth War and the failed Persian Revolution a few years before that, the Congress of Vienna (1826) was convened to redraw and formalize the map of Eurasia. In China, the Congress maintained the status quo and formalized the borders where they currently were, causing some disorder when families, businesses, and schools were found to be separated because of the border “changes.” The border formalization was met with fierce opposition in, obviously, the heavily populated regions on the newly set Ming-Tran border, a place where Chinese pan-nationalism would eventually take root. The prevailing world powers in Asia, which in terms of the struggle for Chinese unification were primarily perceived to be the Reich and the Hohenzollerns, as they directly controlled Indochina and had heavy influence on the Tran, were, together, the most powerful force against unification.

The Reich helped the Tran vigorously repress nationalist sentiment growing in Southeast Asia, though this did not prevent debacles such as the Champa Insurgency which took several years and several thousand deaths to resolve. The Imperial Reichskanzler Klemens von Metternich, who organized and basically ran the Congress of Vienna, stated that the word China was nothing more than "a geographic expression."

Meanwhile, artistic and literary sentiment also turned towards nationalism; Gong Zizhen, Wei Yuan, and Shen Fu are generally considered three great literary precursors of Chinese nationalism, but the most famous of proto-nationalist works was Wen Kang’s Romance of the Four Empires, a “sequel” to the legendary Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which was widely read as a thinly-veiled allegorical critique of Roman and Indian control over Chinese affairs. Published in 1837 and extensively revised in the following years, the 1850 version of Romance of the Four Empires used a standardized version of the Mandarin dialect, spoken by the Ming government and elite at Nanjing, a conscious effort by the author to provide a language and force people to learn it.

Even among those who wanted to see the Chinese unified as one country, different groups could not agree on what form a unified state would take: Jian Wong, a Buddhist priest, had suggested a confederation of the Chinese states under leadership of the highest ranking Confucian, Buddhist, and Taoist priests (his book, Of the Moral and Civil Primacy of the Chinese, was published in 1843 and created a link between the Buddhist priesthood and the Fuxingyundong); Chiang Chao wanted the unification of China under a federal republic in the style of the ancient Roman Republic (his idea was immediately laughed off even by his own colleagues, as republicanism had been basically dead since the end of the Mayapan League and the rise of the Kuchkabal); while Huang Bi supported a confederation of separate Chinese states led by the Ming dynasty.

One of the most influential pre-Fuxingyundong revolutionary groups was the Meitanfanzi (coal-mongers), a secret organization formed in Southern China early in the 19th century. Mainly drawn from the ranks of the middle classes but including some intellectuals, the Meitanfanzi were inspired by the principles of the failed Persian Revolution. The Meitanfanzi movement spread into the Ming Empire of northern China and the Tran Empire of Southeast Asia following, and in consequence of, the formalization of the Ming-Tran border following the Congress of Vienna. Fear of the Meitanfanzi grew to the point that authorities passed an ordinance that anyone found attending a Meitanfanzi meeting would face the punishment of death. Despite this draconian measure, the movement survived and continued to be a source of political turmoil in China from 1820 until after unification.

Many leading revolutionaries wanted a confederation of equals, (even if, ironically, it was only an emperor who had the power to unite the Chinese states as a centralized monarchy) but the ones that mattered most to the Fuxingyundong cause wanted a centralized monarchy, one of the most prominent being Lin Zexu.

Lin, a native of Hongzhou (then part of the Jin Dynasty), began his career as a Confucian bureaucrat in Jinshan, but in the 1830s he joined several revolutionary movements such as the early Fuxingyundong. After protesting in front of the imperial palace in Jinshan during Wanyan Xiongying’s coronation, he was imprisoned by Jin authorities for a short time. While in prison, he concluded that China could − and therefore should − be unified and formulated his program for establishing a free, strong, and imperial nation with Nanjing as its capital. Following his release in 1840, he went to Adamshaven, in the Reich, where he organized a new political society called Nianqing Zhongguo (Young China), the precursor to the Hongshan who formed the ranks of the Expedition of the Thousand, whose motto was "Confucius and the People", and which sought the unification of China.

By 1836, revolutionary sentiment in favor of a unified China began to experience a resurgence, and a series of insurrections laid the groundwork for the creation of one nation in East Asia.

Revolutions of 1847-1848

Execution of the Bai Brothers
In 1844, two brothers from Shanghai, Bai Tao and Bai Lu, members of the Fuxingyundong, planned to make a raid on the Guangdong coast against the Tran Dynasty and in support of Chinese Unification. They assembled a band of about twenty men ready to sacrifice their lives, and set sail on their venture on 12 June 1844. Four days later they landed near Zhuhai, intending to go to Guangzhou, liberate the political prisoners and issue their proclamations. Tragically for the Bai brothers, they did not find the insurgent band they were told awaited them, so they moved towards Aomen. They were ultimately betrayed by one of their party, a Cantonese man, and by some peasants who believed them to be Japanese pirates. A detachment of gendarmes and volunteers were sent against them, and after a short fight the whole band was taken prisoner and escorted to Guangzhou, where a number of Chinese who had taken part in a previous uprising were also under arrest. The Bai brothers and their nine companions were executed by firing squad; some accounts state they cried “Zhongguo Wansui!” (Long live China!) as they fell. The moral effect was enormous throughout China; the action of the Tran authorities was universally condemned by the people of China, and the martyrdom of the Bai brothers bore fruit in the subsequent revolution.

Towards the Chinese Empire

The "Ping" expedition
In 1857, Ping Cai, a man from Fuzhou who decided to leave the Ming army, organized an expedition to provoke a rising in the Tran Dynasty. Ping offered himself for the task, and sailed from Quanzhou with a few followers (including Jiang Ning, who later will become a great and trustworthy friend of Lin Zexu) on board the steamer Chao Hai on 25 June 1857. They landed on the island of Taiwan, where the guards were overpowered and some hundreds of prisoners liberated, and on the 28th of the same month arrived at Hong Kong and, like the Bai before them, tried to march on Guangzhou. But hardly any assistance from the inhabitants was forthcoming, and the invaders were quickly overpowered within the city, Ping himself being brutally stabbed with a knife and then killed by angry locals who did not recognize him believing him to be a wandering bandit who was stealing their food.

The Sino-Vietnamese War of 1863-1864 and its Aftermath
The Sino-Vietnamese War began when the Tran Grand Secretariat, Nguyen Bu Tui, proposed a clever plan to seize control of the entire Ming tributary network for the Tran with support from the Reich. Nguyen provoked the Ming with military maneuvers and eventually instigated a war in 1863.

The Ming planned to use their army to beat the Tran before the Romans could come to their aid. Initially, the Ming had an army of approximately 140,000 men, while the Tran had a mere 70,000. This proved less important than it first appeared, however, as the Jiaqing Emperor had chosen his officers based on their aristocratic titles and lineage instead of their personal merit. This strategy was no doubt socially acceptable, but the emperor soon discovered blue blood was obviously a remarkably poor guarantor of military victory. Instead of swiftly entering Hanoi as he entered Bangkok decades ago, the Ming armies crawled to Hanoi, taking almost ten days to travel fifty miles before eventually getting bogged down not far from the border by fierce Tran resistance and Vietnamese defenses. By this time, the 16th Legion had reinforced the Tran, so the Ming retreated. Franz Joseph’s plans worked and at the battle of Chongqing, the Reich and the Tran defeated the Ming and compelled Zhu Houyu to negotiate.

The settlement, by which Ryukyu was made a Tran tributary, did not result in any border changes. All sides, however, were eventually unhappy with the final outcome of the Sino-Vietnamese War and expected another conflict in the future. The war had finally destroyed the last vestiges of the north-south emperor system which simultaneously preserved the legitimacies of all of the Chinese states. The Jin and the Ming both turned to the Fuxingyundong to help take down the Tran and unite China for good under the latter, as an outright invasion would not succeed because the Tran were protected by the Reich. The Jiaqing Emperor and Emperor Wanyan Xiongying enlisted Lin Zexu to destroy the Vietnamese from within. In 1866, with Jin support firmly in place, Lin set out to make history.

The Qian expedition
Tran Thanh Loi, the Emperor of Vietnam, had a well-organized army of 150,000 men. But the pyrrhic victory of the Sino-Vietnamese War, in which thousands of Vietnamese had been killed in the fields of Southern China, had inspired many secret societies, and the unexpected passing of a law (pushed through the government by politicians bribed by the Fuxingyundong) which limited the size of the military forced the Tran to disband and demobilize many of its best troops. This left Thanh Loi with only his mostly-unreliable Chinese troops, as they were the most sympathetic to the Fuxingyundong cause. It was a critical opportunity for the unification movement. In April 1865, separate insurrections began in Guangdong and Guangxi, both of which despite their prosperity had demonstrated an unwillingness to fully cooperate with Hanoi. These rebellions were easily suppressed by loyal troops.

In the meantime, Lin Zexu, a native of Hongzhou whose ancestors came from Fuzhou, was deeply resentful of the lawlessness of his ancestral home. He hoped to use his supporters to restore order. Wanyan Xiongying, terrified of Lin provoking a war with the Ming, persuaded Lin to instead use his forces in the Tran rebellions. In April of 1866, Lin and his cadre of about a thousand Chinese volunteers (called the Qian, or “thousand,” or Hongshan, for the red shirts they wore), steamed from Jinshan, and, after a stop in Adamshaven, Hawai'i, on 2 May where he narrowly avoided Roman authorities, landed in Guangzhou in October.

The Roman Kiser used the funding of an expedition to find the source of the Nile and the incident in the Alliance once again regarding Tarascan's independence as a cover to build up troops in Asia, the Pacific, and the Eimericas. Confident in the belief that the Fuxingyundong could not be stopped, the Ming attempted and eventually succeeded in subverting the economic and military treaties that bound Scandinavia to the Reich, removing the Fylkirate from the Roman sphere of influence.

In October, Lin Zexu arrived in Guangzhou, where he was greeted by cheering crowds waving the flag of a united China--a golden dragon. Bismarck pressured Thanh Loi to arrest Lin while he still had the chance, but it was the constitutional government that had to vote on issuing an arrest order. The motion failed by one vote when wealthy pro-Fuxingyundong corporations and bribed politicians subverted the voting process in favor of Lin. As the constitution prevented any active politician from being tried of a crime, Thanh Loi could not sack those politicians responsible for sparing Lin.

Meanwhile, the Jiaqing Emperor passed away. He was succeeded by his sixteen-year-old son, Zhu Mingzhi, who took the reign name Guangxu. The new Ming emperor was a firm supporter of Fuxingyundong and of Chinese unification under his dynasty. He immediately signed an alliance with Wanyan Xiongying and Lin Zexu, providing funds and supplies to the latter to help bring down the Tran.

Roman Chancellor Bismarck gave a speech to the Roman Diet on 1 October 1866 about the necessity of intervention in Tran. He argued that Lin Zexu was rapidly becoming a dangerous man, and it was their “duty” to alert Thanh Loi to the threat he posed to the Tran. While Bismarck’s speech touched many hearts there was no support for a direct military intervention against Lin. Even the Roman Kaiser Franz Joseph was in theory an absolute monarch and could theoretically go ahead and authorize the use of military force, but knew that he did not have support from the government and as a result could lose his legitimacy and authority.

In November of that year, Bismarck's predictions about Lin's “danger'' came true when the nationalist ordered the destruction of tea shipments. About 500 workers laboured for 23 days to destroy it, mixing the opium with lime and salt and throwing it into the sea outside of Humen Town. Lin composed an elegy apologizing to the gods of the sea for polluting their realm. He then proclaimed that this was necessary to shake off the Roman and Indian imperialists who sought to control China's destiny. The workers of Foshan and Guangzhou rallied to Lin's banner, taking up arms against the Tran government. It got so bad that during the Roman 1867 Diet Kaiser Franz Joseph began enacting a series of unemployment subsidy reforms, the last social reform that the Reich had not passed yet. He hoped that this would take the people's attention away from the Fuxingyundong. Meanwhile, Lin Zexu led a protest in Hanoi. Thousands of Vietnamese protested against the grievances that the elected government had inflicted on them.

Thanh Loi sympathized with the protesters, but a vote from the elected government prevented him from acting and instead sent in the military to crush the protests, which escalated into deadly riots where hundreds died. Hundreds more joined the Fuxingyundong as Lin fled north, towards Foshan, pursued by a Tran army. Near Guangzhou, Lin’s army attracted scattered bands of rebels, and the combined forces defeated the opposing army at Foshan on 26 September 1867. Within three days, the invading force had swelled to 4,000 men. Lin would proclaim himself the Provisional Governor of Guangdong and Guangxi, in the name of Zhu Mingzhi. After waging various successful but hard-fought battles, Lin advanced upon the Tran capital of Hanoi, announcing his arrival by beacon-fires kindled at night.

On 15 October 1867 the force laid siege to the port at Ha Long, seeking to cut off naval-based Roman supply lines to the capital, while a mass uprising of street and barricade fighting broke out within the city. The Tran, immobilized by political gridlock and the lack of supplies, were forced to retreat from the city.

This resounding success demonstrated the weakness of the Tran government. Lin’s fame spread and many Chinese and even Vietnamese began to consider him a national hero. Doubt, confusion, and dismay overtook the Tran court —Thanh Loi hastily summoned his ministry and attempted to restore absolutism to get around the meddling politicians, but these efforts failed to rebuild the peoples' trust in Tran governance.

Franz Joseph had been considering sending in the Sixteenth Legion to help put down the rebels, but when he saw how large the rebel armies were, he withheld the mobilization orders for the legion, instead ordering them to remain in Bangkok and only fight in self-defense. The Tran were falling apart, and there was nothing he could do. He just hoped that they would somehow pull themselves together and survive Lin's assault, but deep down inside him he knew that it was all over. It was also getting harder to distract the people, so he decreed that the pensions were to be extended even more. A strike conveniently occurred in November, allowing Bismarck to flood the papers with articles about the strike and effectively censor all news coming out of Asia.

Six weeks after the surrender of Ha Long, Lin attacked westward. Within a week, the citadels surrounding Hanoi surrendered. Having conquered Ha Long’s ports and everything around Hanoi, Lin proceeded to the outskirts of the city, where even more citadels promptly surrendered. As he marched through the countryside of Southern China and northern Vietnam into Hanoi, the populace everywhere hailed him, and military resistance faded, with some armies even defecting to the Fuxingyundong: on 18 and 21 December, the people of Annam and Dong Kinh, two core regions of Vietnam, independently declared their annexation to the Chinese Empire.

The second thing concerned Asia and the mess that was formerly the Tran Dynasty. Inner Hanoi had declared a state of siege, and on 26 December the government gathered the 4,000 troops still faithful to it and retreated over the Red River, taking Thanh Loi hostage to prevent him from surrendering. The next day, Lin, with a few followers, entered by train into the center of Hanoi, where the people openly welcomed him. The Chinese flag was raised over the abandoned imperial palace complex.

The fall of Hanoi brought the unification movement to the brink of fruition — only Hue and Saigon remained to be added, but they defected to the Fuxingyundong by the start of 1868. On 1 January 1868, as the 1867 Diet convened, Zhu Mingzhi assembled the first Diet of the Chinese Empire in Nanjing, while Thanh Loi managed to escape his captors and independently abdicate the throne, surrender his imperial titles to the Ming and flee to Roman Indochina with the few generals and officers that remained loyal to him. On 2 January 1868, the Diet proclaimed Zhu Mingzhi as Chinese Emperor (“August Emperor of the Chinese Nation and All Under Heaven”), with the Ryukyuans and Jin voting overwhelmingly to join the new empire, and on 3 January 1868, Nanjing was declared the capital of the Chinese Empire. The former Tran domains were redistributed among loyal Ming Chinese governors and in some cases to defected Tran family members.

Three months later Thanh Loi, having seen his life's work destroyed, died in Singapura. When he was given the last Confucian rites, Thanh Loi purportedly said: "China is made. All is lost."

The dragon had risen.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I have been reading this Mega Game at least since around November or December 2020 at least fully. I have read bits and pieces of it in the past and I'm glad I have because every time I finish a leg of the AAR I take a breath and breath and feel like I just read a novel (In a good way). Right now I just started reading the HOI3 part of the story. A few days ago I asked @zenphoenix if I could make a few updates that are just about the History of China in this universe because it is my favorite country other than the Reich of course (laughs nervously as an Inquisition car slows down outside my window).

So here is the History of China from where @zenphoenix’s “Origins of Modernity: A (Long-ish) History of China” left off to the founding of the Chinese Empire. I will be posting the other parts over the course of this week. If I have missed anything please let me know.
Don't worry, China was also my second favorite country to write.

You definitely put in a lot of effort into this post. Really like how it continues the style of Origins of Modernity, though it focuses more on military and political history instead of economics and social history as Origins of Modernity did. Also, the paragraphs are a little bit too long, so cutting them up would make them more readable.. Still great and I'm looking forward to the next few parts!