The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You know, I can't say I saw that one coming.

Well this is a pleasant surprise, an in-depth explanation for one of the Alternate Hohenzollernverse timeline we saw in CK2’s ending (which kinda makes me wonder if that Hispanic Empire Wihelm created in another timeline will become relevant to the story) and Wihelm and Raphel meeting up to disscuss current events like they used to in EU4. I also like the character development for Raphael and Wilhelm as well, they’ve come a long way from being enemies in EU4. Rip Constantine, at least he went out honorably.

Well this is a pleasant surprise, an in-depth explanation for one of the Alternate Hohenzollernverse timeline we saw in CK2’s ending (which kinda makes me wonder if that Hispanic Empire Wihelm created in another timeline will become relevant to the story) and Wihelm and Raphel meeting up to disscuss current events like they used to in EU4. I also like the character development for Raphael and Wilhelm as well, they’ve come a long way from being enemies in EU4. Rip Constantine, at least he went out honorably.
I probably won’t bring up the Hispanic Empire anytime soon because I want to write a follow-up to what past Wilhelm does next and it’s not included in the plan. That might be posted in Stellaris or so. I chalk it up to Wilhelm’s memory being a little foggy, or maybe he did that at a later point and thought it happened earlier.

Raphael and Wilhelm certainly have come a long way. And to think I initially introduced Raphael as a Kaiser-killing Apocalypse starter to be a foil to Wilhelm during all that.

Reactions:
A Situation in Saigon

Brandenbug Palace - February 5, 2023, 1:00 PM

Wilhelm Karl and Heinrich sat in front of the TV. Onscreen, a Vietnamese man was talking before a large audience, surrounded by ASEAN flags.

“You have seen what is happening around us,” the man said, “Terrorist insurgencies, geopolitical power plays, natural disasters. The Chinese and Indians circle like vultures, eager to turn us into their dinner. It is time we adopt the Eimerican model and forge our own path, working together as the old Srivijaya did!”

The crowd jumped to their feet and erupted into applause.

“So…they actually did it,” Wilhelm Karl said.

“We’ll have to keep an eye on them,” Heinrich said

“This new Srivijaya Commonwealth threatens to upend the balance of power in Asia,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I am worried for our interests there.”

“I’ve already briefed the General Staff on the Siam and Malaya situation,” Heinrich said, “But they’re the most ardent supporters of the project. We may not be able to keep our troops there for much longer.”

“Not even in Singapura?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“We’ll have to renegotiate the terms with the new Commonwealth,” Heinrich said.

Wilhelm Karl looked back at the TV, where delegates from every ASEAN member state were unfurling a new flag representing the Srivijayan Commonwealth.

“I didn’t expect the Eimerican model to catch on, and so quickly at that,” he said.

“I feel the same way,” Heinrich said, “And now here we are, with Southeast Asia uniting under a single flag and the Central Asians likely to follow suit.”

“Yes,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Heinrich, it is clear now the balance of power is shifting. This new Commonwealth has the resources of not only Vietnam and Nusantara combined but that of the whole region. Tell your General Staff they must assess the new military situation.”

“Military situation?” Heinrich said.

“If it comes to that,” Wilhelm Karl said, “We should be prepared for anything. I’ve heard rumors of the Eimerican Federation possibly resurrecting old border disputes. Particularly regarding Outer Neurhomania.”

“You’re not seriously suggesting they could try to attack us?” Heinrich said.

“The Eimericans certainly are considering it,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Have you seen what Thordarsson is saying these days about the Caribbean islands? The Srivijayans could follow their example in the South China Sea. You heard what that guy said about India and China.”

“I’ll brief the General Staff,” Heinrich said, “But I assure you, they are nowhere near close to confronting us. Our military dwarfs both theirs and Penglai combined.”

“Penglai?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Gaojiang Zhao’s made some troubling moves lately,” Heinrich said, “As you know, he’s continued his gerrymandering of electoral districts. He’s given overseas Penglairen in Southeast Asia the option to vote by mail.”

“And why should I be concerned?” Wilhelm Karl said. “Why should I care about what he does in his own country and with his own people? If more of his citizens can vote in whatever way possible, then that's a good thing.”

“Because other overseas Penglairen outside Southeast Asia still have to vote in person at embassies or consulates, and there aren’t many of those,” Heinrich said, “It could also potentially undermine the unity of the new Commonwealth. I’m not even mentioning what is happening in his own country to the Japanese, Indians, and aborigines.”

“Still don’t know why I should care,” Wilhelm Karl said, “If he wants to change the voting laws, I can’t stop him, even if I want to. But I have no reason to anyways. His country, his laws. We should all respect national sovereignty, because if they don't have sovereignty, we don't have it either, and if we don't have sovereignty, we don't have a nation. So why don’t you tell me about something I should actually be concerned about?”

Saigon - April 19, 8:00 AM

It was still morning, but the air felt as hot and humid as the afternoon. Elias’ car suddenly stopped.

“What’s the holdup, Nguyen?” he asked.

“See for yourself,” Nguyen said.

Elias looked out the window and noticed the street in front of them…or what was left of it. The concrete pavement disappeared beneath the muddy waves of the overflowing Mekong. Tree branches, chunks of walls, and broken planks of wood were carried past on the current.

“My God,” Elias said, “It’s worse than I expected.”

“The typhoon was nothing like we’ve ever seen,” Nguyen said, “It’s never been this bad. Half the city’s…just gone in a day.”

“It’s just like Amsterdam,” Elias said, “All this tragedy…”

“Another city put the mercy of the raging waters and winds,” Nguyen said, “Land salted if not outright washed away. Thousands dead or displaced.”

“So much suffering is unimaginable,” Elias said, “Has the Commonwealth done anything to help you out?”

“Well, seeing as Saigon is the current Commonwealth capital, and the Commonwealth is still something all of us are getting used to…unfortunately not,” Nguyen said.

“Understandable,” Elias said, “I hope we suffice.”

“Oh, we’ve been hoping people like you would come,” Nguyen said.

“We’re just doing the Lord’s work,” Elias said.

Nguyen backed the car up, trying to turn onto a cross street. At that moment, a car drifted into view, slowly pushed along by the current. He noticed there was still someone inside, a woman and her child. The car hit the corner of a small house, just barely poking above the water now, and came to a stop.

“Wait, Nguyen,” he said, “Stop the car!”

Nguyen immediately knew what Elias wanted. He shook his head.

“Are you crazy?” Nguyen said. “You’ll be swept away by the current!”

“Would you rather have me climb out the window?” Elias said.

Nguyen sighed. Then he shifted into park and unlocked the door.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he said.

Elias got out, ran to the water’s edge, and dived in without a moment’s hesitation. The cold water was an immediate contrast to the humid heat. The mud and debris made it hard for him to swim, on top of the current quickly pushing him downstream. But he slowly closed the distance to the car. A piece of wood struck his side, and he instinctively coughed in pain, which made him accidentally swallow muddy water. His gag reflex kicked in, and more water poured into his mouth. But he pushed on. He reached out and grabbed the car door with all of his might. He gradually used the handle to pull himself above water. His ears adjusted to the screams of the passengers, pleading in Vietnamese. He didn’t need to speak Vietnamese to understand what they were saying.

Elias climbed onto the car roof and was relieved to find a sunroof. With adrenaline coursing through him, he pried the hatch open. The car shuddered and slightly moved, provoking another round of screams. The current was still pushing on it. It was only a matter of time before it was swept away. Elias reached inside and beckoned to the woman and child. The woman said a few words and first lifted her child up. Elias helped the child climb out and onto the roof of the house. He then reached in for the woman. Just as she climbed out, the car slipped and lurched, in seconds being swept away by the current. But the woman was safe now. Elias helped her climb onto the roof and followed them up afterward. The woman rushed over to her child to check their health and offer reassuring words, while Elias simply lay down, relieved and exhausted.

“I suppose that’s my good deed of the day,” he said to himself.

He was just doing God's work.

CB headquarters - April 27, 10:00 AM

Thierry looked over the scale model of a park that had just been delivered to their conference room.

“Remind me again what this is about?” Emilio said.

“The Diet passed our bill to build an international park at the site of the Battle of Grodno,” Thierry said, “Dedicated to Konrad Adenauer.”

“I like the design,” Joel said.

“Why didn’t we think of this idea sooner?” Sebastian said.

“Someone did already,” Thierry said.

“Who would that be?” Sebastian said. “I’d like to congratulate him.”

“Adenauer himself,” Thierry said, “It was one of his dreams.”

“Oh…” Sebastian said. “Makes sense.”

“If he could see us now, he’d be proud we’re fulfilling his dream,” Joel said.

“We should propose bills to build more parks,” Jacob said, “At other former battlefields.”

“Sounds like a great idea,” Emilio said.

“Just think about it,” Jacob said, “A place that was once filled with chaos and death has now become a park dedicated to peace. Environmentally friendly too.”

“Everyone loves a good park,” Thierry said, “The economic and environmental benefits are proven, as Josiah can tell us.”

“By the way, where is Josiah?” Sebastian said.

“I think he’s off at a religious seminar in Constantinople or something,” Thierry said.

“Honestly, sometimes I can’t stand that guy,” Emilio said, “He’s loud.”

“Agreed,” Joel said.

‘Look, he may have an issue with outbursts, but he’s one of us,” Sebastian said, “He’s been responsible for crunching the numbers for all of our bills.”

“We wouldn’t be here without him,” Thierry said.

“Just like we wouldn’t be here without my rallies?” Jacob said.

“Or my Dikastirio videos?” Joel said.

“Statistics are actually needed for our proposals to become reality,” Sebastian said.

“Yeah, well the videos and rallies give us the popular support that allows us to calculate those statistics!” Emilio said.

“It’s times like these I wish Josiah was here to restore order,” Thierry said, “Or Elias.”

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is not particularly new, but I am not surprised Wilhelm Karl does not see his hypocritical thinking in how he's super paranoid about the military power of some foreign nations, but has zero interest in interfering in other states despite advice.

It is not particularly new, but I am not surprised Wilhelm Karl does not see his hypocritical thinking in how he's super paranoid about the military power of some foreign nations, but has zero interest in interfering in other states despite advice.
All he wants is control. So he watches other nations for potential threats but only for those direct threats, so if they don’t seem like a challenge to him, he doesn’t care. He doesn’t see it as hypocritical.

Reactions:
So I take it in-game the Srivijayan Commonwealth is another superstate that formed huh? That's four blobs in the world if I'm not mistaken. The Reich. China. The Eimerican Federation and now the Srivijayans.

This climate crisis is getting worse and worse isn't it. For all their faults, the CB really is the only ones doing anything about it from what it seems. They just need to work on their tactics a little more if they don't want to repeat their past mistakes. Thierry has a lot on his plate without Elias or Josiah to help out.
So I take it in-game the Srivijayan Commonwealth is another superstate that formed huh? That's four blobs in the world if I'm not mistaken. The Reich. China. The Eimerican Federation and now the Srivijayans.
I think there some hints of the Central Asian countries (Persia, Afghanistan and Turkestan) forming another superstate, althrough it probaly wouldn't be as sigifigant as the EF or Srivijaya. There are a lot of competitors to the three superpowers, no wonder Wilhelm Karl is nervous.

Last edited:
Don't forget India, although it isn't as big as the others.
This climate crisis is getting worse and worse isn't it. For all their faults, the CB really is the only ones doing anything about it from what it seems. They just need to work on their tactics a little more if they don't want to repeat their past mistakes. Thierry has a lot on his plate without Elias or Josiah to help out.
Thierry struggles because he's much better at talking and rallying support, not actually doing stuff. That's more on Elias and Josiah's side.
I think there some hints of the Central Asian countries (Persia, Afghanistan and Turkestan) forming another superstate, althrough it probaly wouldn't be as sigifigant as the EF or Srivijaya. There are a lot of competitors to the three superpowers, no wonder Wilhelm Karl is nervous.
Yavdi was also a member of the Central Asian alliance, but the Paulluists withdrew their support. If a third superstate forms, Yavdi will have no part in it, sadly.

Things are Heating Up

Villa Grimaldi, outside Rome - May 6, 2023

Jared pulled up a chair in the middle of the courtyard and sat down. An assistant fixed his hair and makeup while the news crew checked their cameras. Bysandros sat opposite him and wrote a few words in his notebook.

“Alright, Herr Karasi, since this is your first time on national TV, a few tips,” Bysandros said, “Just consider this like a normal conversation.”

“Well, this is a normal conversation so far,” Jared said.

“I mean when the cameras start rolling,” Byasndros said.

“Bysandros, I’ve lectured maybe two hundred students at a time,” Jared said, “I think I can handle something like this.”

They both laughed.

“Oh, and please call me Jared,” Jared said.

“Of course,” Bysandros said.

“Live in three, two, one…” one of the camera crew said.

The attendants left the courtyard. The cameras flashed red.

“Professor Jared Karasi, thank you for agreeing to this interview,” Bysandros said, “Jared, the nation has been surprised by your recent rise to stardom. At the beginning of the year, you were just an LIT professor who joked his soldier brother-in-law always played the guitar better. And now here you are in the beautiful Villa Grimaldi, collaborating with other famous musicians. Can you tell me how it feels to suddenly jump to stardom?”

“Well, it’s still a little surreal,” Jared said, “I always liked playing the guitar. But I never thought I’d get this far with it. It’s an honor to visit this storied villa and work with such talent. Though if you expect me to go on tour soon, you might be disappointed, as I’m still a professor.”

“Of course, LIT is important, after all,” Bysandros said, “Now, Jared, I understand you’re releasing a new song called ‘Questions about Württemburg’ in a few days, right? Could you tell us anything about it?”

“Sure,” Jared said, “As you may know, a couple weeks ago, there was a situation in Württemburg where the state justice minister ordered police to evict squatters. The situation escalated, and by the end of the incident, several of the squatters were killed, and the minister was assassinated the next day by a disgruntled local. It’s a tragedy on both sides, and I feel like I wanted to share my thoughts the best way I could, through my music. I hope you’ll all enjoy it.”

“We’ll look out for that song then,” Bysandros said, “Alright, as both of us have just said, we’re presently in Villa Grimaldi. The villa was formerly the summer home of an aging aristos with no children before it was sold off to its current owner, who has hosted not only musicians but intellectuals and political figures. Have you been involved in circles other than music in your time here?”

“Actually, I have,” Jared said, “I’m proud to say I’m a card-carrying member of PMS, thanks to the friends I’ve met here. After the unfortunate death of the brilliant Martin Schulz, the SPR lost its way. Despite its past, PMS today is uniquely qualified to handle many of the issues our country faces moving forward, and its values happen to align with my own. Outside of politics, I’ve also helped out at the school and daycare facilities hosted here. The kids just love my guitar.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Bysandros said.

“Music teaches a lot for children their age,” Jared said, “Many of these kids come from poorer families who can’t afford extracurriculars or music class. I want to give them the chance to express themselves without being a financial burden on their parents.”

“You must really love your work then,” Bysandros said.

“I do,” Jared said, “It’s a joy to be at Villa Grimaldi. I feel like I can accomplish a lot here, both for myself and the people around me.”

“Well, I think I speak for the people of the nation when I say we eagerly await what you do next,” Bysandros said, “Your career is just beginning, and we’re excited to see where you’ll go. Thank you so much for your time, Jared.”

They shook hands.

“A pleasure, Bysandros,” Jared said.

But despite all of Bysandros' smiles for the cameras, Jared could still sense the disgust and disapproval the reporter felt towards him and his views. Was he sure Bysandros would honor the traditions of journalism, in light of such strong feelings?

LIT - June 2

“One, two, three!” Anna said.

On cue, she and Alex lifted up the heavy piece of equipment and put it in a box.

“You’ve gotten pretty strong,” Anna said.

“Honestly, I haven’t been hitting the gym lately,” Alex said.

“Careful with that equipment,” Alexandra said, “I need it as soon as possible down in Damascus.”

“Must be a nice gig if they want you to start working as soon as possible,” Anna said.

“We’re doing a lot of groundbreaking work at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory,” Alexandra said, “It’s been my dream to work there my whole life.”

“Must be even better that they pay well, then,” Annie said with a deadpan tone.

The elder Humboldt sister hauled another piece of heavy equipment into a box without assistance.

“Yes it does, Aunt Annie!” Alexandra said. “I’m so excited!”

“You remind me so much of your mother,” Annie said.

“Back when she was working in X-Division?” Alexandra said.

“Yeah,” Annie said, “Hey Alex, can you help me out a little?”

“What for?” Alex said.

“That large printer over there,” Alexandra said. “I need a hand.”

Alex unplugged the printer and cleared a path. Annie pushed the printer to the door, where Anna and Alexandra guided it into a waiting box.

“Nicely done,” Alexandra said, “Aunt Annie, you can take a break now if you want.”

“I’m fine,” Annie said.

“Sis, are you sure?” Anna said. “Since all this equipment might remind you a lot of…”

“Don’t worry about me, Anna,” Annie said, “I can handle myself.”

“You sure?” Anna said.

“Positive,” Annie said, “I’ve been perfectly fine since Nicomedia. Literally normal.”

“Let’s hope it stays that way,” Anna said, “We don’t want to lose you again.”

“I have no intention of going away again,” Annie said, “I was away long enough.”

“I sure hope so,” Alexandra said, “Always love your fun stories.”

“Did your mother or I ever tell you the story of how I saw Mad Mao?” Annie said.

“I don’t think so,” Alexandra said.

“What story?” Alex said.

“I’ll share at the next family gathering then,” Annie said.

“Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just you driving a few hours into Aojing, watching the movie, and then driving back,” Anna said.

“And I keep telling you, it’s not just that,” Annie said.

“Sure it isn’t,” Anna said.

She broke into a short laugh.

“I’m just messing with you,” Anna said.

Annie glared at her.

“Anyways,” Anna said, “Looks like the lab’s pretty cleaned up.”

Alex looked around. The room was now very barren. Alexandra’s equipment was neatly organized in several boxes near the door, ready to be shipped out.

“The moving truck should be here tomorrow,” Alexandra said, “That should be it.”

“Well, that was a productive day,” Annie said.

“We’ll definitely be around tomorrow to see you off,” Anna said.

“I really appreciate it,” Alexandra said.

“We’ll miss you on campus,” Alex said.

“You can always come visit me in Damascus whenever,” Alexandra said, “If you want, I can put in a word for you.”

“I’d appreciate that,” Alex said.

“Alex, you should worry about that later,” Anna said, “For now, you need to work on your grades.”

“Never too early for him to start working on his future,” Annie said.

“I suppose,” Anna said, “As Alexandra here can attest to.”

“I guess,” Alexandra said, “Anyways, thanks for your help.”

“Anything,” Alex said.

“Anytime,” Anna said.

Strasburg - August 23, 1:00 PM

Alex stared at the food in front of him. It looked like a normal burger, but at the same time it clearly wasn’t normal.

“So this is one of those ‘impossible’ burgers?” he said.

Rahul eagerly wolfed his own burger. “Yep. It’s completely vegetarian, which means I can finally eat this stuff! It’s delicious!”

“Yeah, but you have to eat it slower to savor the taste,” Chris said, “Obviously.”

“Yeah…” Alex said. “Where I come from, I’ve never seen stuff like this before.”

“What you’re looking at is the future,” Chris said, “It’s just as tasty and jucy as normal meat, which opens up new options for vegetarians. Also meat eaters looking to branch out. And you won’t be contributing to the farm industrial complex that way.”

“Less animal cruelty, more delicious not-meat!” Rahul said, still stuffing his mouth. “You’ll also reduce pressure to cut down rainforests for grazing land.”

“Go on, try it,” Chris said, “You already spent the money, might as well eat it.”

“Alright, alright,” Alex said.

He bit into the burger. To his surprise, Chris was right. It did taste just like regular meat. It was pretty delicious, and he finished it in a couple minutes.

“Man, that was great,” Alex said.

“So, have you converted to the vegetarian cause?” Rahul said.

“Eh, I’ll have to see what other options are open first,” Alex said, “I still like a good old steak every now and then.”

Ancyra - July 5, 1:00 PM

Josh walked into the cafe and got in line. He recognized a few classmates ahead of him, including Jenna from that one class. Oh, it was Jenna. She walked up to the counter and gave her order.

“Alright, a medium and a small?” the barista repeated.

“Yeah,” Jenna said.

The barista input the order into his tablet.

“So, is Clarissa sick?” Jenna said.

“Who?” the barista said.

“The woman who usually works here,” Jenna said, “Very nice.”

“How would I know?” the barista dismissively said.

What was this guy's problem? Josh thought.

Jenna swiped her card, but the card reader beeped.

“Sorry,” the barista said, “Declined.”

“Really?” Jenna said.

“Insufficient funds, it says,” the barista said.

“Impossible,” Jenna said, “I just deposited my paycheck yesterday, so…”

Well, she obviously didn't.

“Do you have cash?” the barista aggressively said.

Seriously, this guy's tone was problematic.

“Uh…no?” Jenna said. “Can you just run it again?”

Boo hoo. No coffee for you.

“Can you just come back when you have money?” the barista countered, his voice rising.

Okay, that was it. He didn't like Jenna that much, but this guy was worse.

“Hey, man, what’s your problem?” Josh said. “Just run her card again.”

“Look, I’ll just call from work,” Jenna said.

“Frakking sl*ts,” the barista muttered, “Get the frak out of here.”

Did he just...

Jenna stared at him. “Excuse me? What did you just say?”

“You’re a frakking sl*t,” the barista calmly repeated, “With shorts and tank tops like those…”

There was no mistaking it now. This guy had to go down.

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!” Jenna said.

Everybody in the cafe quieted down and stared.

“This your first day or something?!” Jenna said. “What’s your name?”

“Unbelievable,” the barista said, “Get out of here.”

It's time to act like a man, Josh thought.

“Jenna, it’s okay, I can pay for you—” Josh began, taking out his wallet.

“Thanks, Josh, but no, I’m leaving,” Jenna said, “It’s not worth it. Your coffee frakking sucks.”

She stormed out, flipping off the barista as she left. Josh turned to the barista.

“What the frak is your problem?” he said before rushing out after Jenna.

He caught up to her outside.

“Hey, look, I’m sorry about that,” Josh began.

“No, it’s not your fault,” Jenna said, “I just need some time alone, okay?”

“I can make it up to you,” Josh said, “Maybe buy you another cup of coffee?”

“Sorry, but I’m no longer in the mood, after that frakker said that,” Jenna said, “Though I might be up to it tomorrow. But please just leave me alone now!”

She reached her car and got in. Josh stepped back and watched her drive away.

Good for Jenna, standing up for herself and not letting Josh's fluctuating kindness get to her.

Reactions:
History Lessons

Tesla Dynamic, Frankfurt - November 7, 2023 - 10:00 AM

Theodor paced nervously around his office. Wilhelm Karl sat in front of his desk, listening.

“And in summary, that is how we control a large part of China’s 5G infrastructure,” he said, “Making us a fortune there.”

That was all thanks to the data core, he remembered. They really knew how to build telecommunications networks there. There was this really cool design for a phone that would take full advantage of such a network, but he would have to wait a few more years. At least it wouldn’t end up like his attempts to sell flash drives which could be inserted both ways, or his plans to reverse engineer the data core itself and unlock the secret to how it could compress so much data into such a small portable object. But the latter would have destroyed all of the information stored, and he didn’t want that.

“That’s nice to hear,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Can it be weaponized in any way?”

“What do you mean?” Theodor said.

“In case our two countries go to war,” Wilhelm Karl said, “You said we control much of their telecommunications network. If we were to take over or at least neutralize it, we would gain a very massive advantage.”

“In theory, yes,” Theodor said, “But hopefully we don’t get to that point. We’re on good terms with China right now. That’s why we were able to build that network to begin with.”

That was more Mina’s thing. He personally wasn’t on good terms with Tsai after a particular incident at her inauguration. But Mina was the one who got things done, so she secured the contracts and local partnerships. At least for now, since Tsai absolutely hated Tesla Dynamic and would do everything she could to sabotage his efforts. It was a miracle he got the network up and running with all of the absurd regulations and red tape she threw his way.

“I totally understand,” Wilhelm Karl said, “You have to remember nothing lasts forever. There is a very real possibility we may yet slip back into our pre-1989 rivalry.”

Yeah, and Tsai would be the one to do that.

“I would prefer things not get there,” Theodor said, “We gain so much from each other. Just look at Tesla Dynamic’s profits in China lately.”

That was true. China was a lucrative market, as it had been for centuries.

“Yes, I know,” Wilhelm Karl said, “And I’d like that to continue as long as possible. But we must be ready for anything.”

“I get it,” Theodor said, “I totally get it. Although I really think the bigger threat is the fifth column of the resurgent left within our nation.”

Ah yes, the so-called tolerant left which loved to silence all those who had a different opinion, led by neo-equalists in Tel Aviv.

“Do you remember your history class?” Wilhelm Karl said. “Do you remember the mutinies of 1940 and 1941?”

“Yeah,” Theodor said, “A large number of loyalist troops unexpectedly defected to the Angeloi.”

“Only it wasn’t unexpected,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Looking back, you can see it was inevitable. In January 1940, the battle lines had only been drawn for eight months. Markos Angelos was still highly popular among the general public, and he was still generally considered the legal Roman government. This wasn’t to say they were against my father, but rather they believed he was a puppet of rogue generals. Many active duty soldiers were swayed back to his side with promises of amnesty, better equipment, the appearance of more respect, and a larger paycheck. In February 1941, more defected because the loyalist cause was basically dead at that point. Rather than go down with a lost cause, they decided to jump ship and save themselves. The real fighting in those two years was in public relations as the two sides asserted themselves as the rightful government. The Angeloi, being more experienced in propaganda, had the upper hand, but their advantage dwindled as the loyalists turned their brutalities and atrocities against them, showing they were terrorists and war criminals.”

“Nice history lesson and all, but what does this have to do about a potential war with China?” Theodor said.

Not that he didn’t care about history. He was pretty interested in it at one point. His mother was a historian who always told him historical events as bedtime stories. That was until she and his father were murdered by the Red Army Faction, leaving him and his sister alone. After that…he didn’t want to bring up old memories again. All that mattered was making sure equalism never came back, so nobody had to suffer like him and Thea did.

“Well, the loyalists didn’t see the mutinies coming,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Prior to January 1940, the loyalists had gained the upper hand militarily. They had consolidated their gains in the east and were now pushing up the Danube and into the Alps. The first mutiny broke their ranks so thoroughly they were pushed all the way back to Greece and then Constantinople. We must take care to never repeat that mistake. If there is a mutiny looming within our ranks, we must purge it as soon as possible. And we must do our best to not be the loyalists but the Angeloi…well, in as much as being the ones to cause the mutinies rather than suffer them. And snuff out our own mutinies before they happen. We must be in control.”

“Yeah, I totally agree,” Theodor said, “We must deal with the left, and soon.”

At this point he was just saying it to end the conversation faster and get him out of the office.

“Glad to hear it,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Well, consider me impressed by this demo. Expect to hear from my office by the end of the week about a possible public-private partnership.”

“Thank you so much, sir,” Theodor said, “It’s an honor working with you.”

“Don’t mention it,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I’ll see you around.”

They shook hands, and Wilhelm Karl left. Once the door closed, Theodor slumped into his chair and sighed with relief. It was finally over.

“FOR THE LAST TIME, KARL DANCE IS NOT MY TWIN!” Theodor heard Wilhelm Karl shouting outside before he stormed off.

“Uh, sorry…I was just trying to…make a joke…Your Majesty?” a poor intern said.

Well, now it was.

Nanjing - March 16, 2024, 6:00 PM

Three of the most powerful leaders in the world sat at a table in the corner of the reception hall while a traditional Chinese banquet was in progress. Waiters served the finest dishes the provinces of China had to offer, all gathered and prepared in eco-friendly ways naturally. Tsai put a piece of Nanjing-style roast duck into a dumpling wrapper and dipped it in sauce while Samrat Chakravartin Jayasimha talked about recent developments in his country.

“The Sansad Bhawan actually took up and passed my idea to mandate electric cars and scooters for urban areas,” he explained, “It’ll cut pollution immensely.”

“Maybe you’ll start importing Eimerican electric cars,” Tsai said.

“Perhaps,” Jayasimha said, “If you don’t give us favorable terms in our partnership.”

They laughed. Tsai reflected on her speech just an hour ago announcing the New Silk Road Partnership to the assembled dignitaries. It was a joint project by the Reich, China, and India to link together the economies of the Schengen Pact and the Tianxia Alliance with new trade routes through Central Asia and the Indian Ocean, much like those used centuries ago in the Silk Road. Goods, services, and people would be able to flow freely between the two alliances, sharing prosperity across the Old World.

“Jayasimha, please,” Princess Wilhelmina said, “We went over this already.”

Wilhelmina was the youngest of the three of them, young enough to be Tsai’s daughter. Well, at least in terms of age. But that didn’t mean she was the least experienced of them. She got through her speech earlier today with very few stutters, unlike in previous speeches Tsai watched or attended. At times she even sounded strikingly similar to her late mother, so much sometimes that Tsai was unnerved by it.

“I’m still a little annoyed about Daksina Jamina,” Jayasimha said.

“It’s not your fault,” Wilhelmina said, “Zhao won’t listen to reason.”

“Then make him do something,” Jayasimha said, “Tsai, can’t you figure something out?”

“He hates us mainlanders just as much as he hates you,” Tsai said, “Something to do with opposing Ming imperialism.”

It was true. Zhao had used her country as a punching bag as much as he used India. China had a long history of colonial rule in Penglai, and she was still cleaning up the mess made by the Aozhou administration decades after it was dissolved. Perhaps the biggest sticking point was how the colonial administration from 1800 up to as late as 1980 took native Penglairen children from their parents and sent them to mainland schools to assimilate. A program to reunite those children and pay reparations to their families had been ongoing since the 1990s. She doubted it would be completed during her tenure as chancellor.

“Jayasimha, Zhao was never going to give up a third of his country to you in any case,” Wilhelmina said.

“Yeah, but at least sign a trade deal or something,” Jayasimha said, “That place is impoverished compared to the east. It could use a lot of investment from us. Does he not recognize he will benefit from it as well?”

“As I said, he won’t listen to reason,” Wilhelmina said.

“So what, you want to just charge in guns blazing?” Jayasimha said. “Because I’d be more than willing to help out.”

“We do not want to go down that route,” Tsai said, “He can pull the Rasa card.”

“Oh come on, people are still calling us Rasas after what, eighty years?” Jayasimha said.

“Yes,” Wilhelmina said, “They do. Even if you guys are no longer Rasas and haven’t been in many generations, the stigma remains.”

“Also you need to handle those Hindutva organizations sooner,” Tsai said, “I hear a few of them have neo-Rasa ties.”

“We’re working on it,” Jayasimha said, “Those religious radicals are really annoying. You hear that guy Modi called me a Muslim puppet? Me, of all people?”

“Don’t get me started,” Tsai said, “Can I assume he’s friends with Zhao?”

“He is,” Jayasimha said.

“Religious radicals, ugh,” Tsai said, “It’s people like them who cause there to be two Japans instead of one.”

“Might be an oversimplification,” Wilhelmina said.

“Please, I’m not in the mood for another history lesson,” Tsai said, “I still remember that time we talked about the Jianzhou Khanate and why its Aisin Gioro clan declared the Manchu Empire. And it’s kind of ironic you’re saying that when Japanese kirishitans caused the partition.”

She was actually the one driving that conversation, mostly to correct Jayasimha. The Yuan Dynasty’s collapse led to the Mongols’ hold on Manchuria weakening. The Jianzhou Khanate, a Yuan vassal, declared independence, and the Aisin Gioro saw it as their destiny to seize the Mandate of Heaven from the Yuan and establish an empire for the Manchus, taking the dynastic name Qing.

“I wasn’t born when it happened,” Wilhelmina said, “Don’t blame me. Chiang was the one who did it.”

The kirishitans had gotten the short end of the stick since the fall of the Shiba shogunate. After enjoying power under the Shiba clan, they were feared for their Roman ties by the Shinto and Buddhist clans and later by the Manchus, Koreans, and Chinese, who persecuted them harshly. Under the old imperial Chinese regime, they were third class citizens in a country already full of second class citizens. No wonder they wanted their own state. And then the Koreans of Kyushu and the Ainus of Ainu Mosir wondered why they didn't get their own states as well. Even today there were still Koreans in Kyushu clamoring for autonomy if not outright independence or unification with Korea.

“Fair point,” Tsai said.

“Funny how Chiang then used Japan as an experiment for cultural liberalization and a means to export Chinese culture to the world,” Jayasimha said, “Instead of Penglai.”

“Bet you Zhao wouldn’t have happened if he went through with that,” Tsai said.

“Guessing he did it because of the kirishitan community,” Jayasimha said.

“They did maintain ties with us through it all,” Wilhelmina said, “Though it’s weird because there were a few kirishitans in Penglai.”

“Penglai was still officially a Chinese province at that point, while the Japans were independent,” Tsai said, “It was easier to portray Japan as a neutral party for both China and the Reich. He used Penglai to test economic and political reforms before they were passed in the mainland.”

“That’s a good way of putting it,” Wilhelmina said.

They listened to Secretary-General Guterres giving a speech in the background.

“Can you really believe they’re moving forward with the UN Island program?” Jayasimha said.

“Which one, the literal island or the new headquarters?” Tsai said.

The plan to formally move the headquarters to the Vienna suburbs and turn UN Island into a museum would be completed by the spring of 2025. But Guterres also had the idea to fund the construction of a giant floating urban island in the middle of the Pacific. Strangely enough, he found plenty of financial and political backers.

“The literal island,” Jaysimha said, “If you told me last year the UN’s main project for the next couple decades was going to be a floating island in the Pacific, I’d have called you crazy.”

“And yet it’s no longer so crazy,” Wilhelmina said, “I guess we’ll wait and see about this modern Atlantis. It’s still in the early stages.”

"I guarantee you it'll just explode and sink to the bottom of the sea like the old Atlantis," Jayasimha said.

“Guterres is lucky he’s retiring at the end of the year,” Tsai said, “He doesn’t have to worry about the selection process again.”

“Well, I’m more focused on the Olympian program,” Wilhelmina said, “I wish Guterres focused on helping me with that instead of spending billions on a freaking floating island.”

“Hey, I bet it’ll help islanders displaced by rising sea levels,” Tsai said.

“Yeah, I know,” Wilhelmina said, “I’m just a little disappointed he doesn’t see space exploration as a priority.”

“Hopefully the next guy will,” Jayasimha said, “And I’m always open to a partnership.”

“Sure, to get a tandoori catering service for the International Space Station,” Wilhelmina joked.

“You know what?” Jayasimha said. “I might just do that.”

Marseilles - March 17, 10:00 AM

“If you had just started in 1990 when we first warned you, the job would’ve been manageable,” Gertrude said to the large crowd listening, “You could’ve cut carbon by a percent or two a year. That would be easy. But no, we had to take only token measures for thirty years. And now what should be a cakewalk is now an almost vertical cliff. We still subsidize and support the oil industry in the Middle East and Africa in an overreaction from the 1973 strikes, which also saw the crushing of oil unions calling for better regulations. Natural gas wells leak vast quantities of methane into the atmosphere. The farm-industrial complex’s cows produce just as much. Thousands of cargo ships run by global shipping firms have been fitted with cheating devices to skirt environmental regulations and dump pollution into the sea, poisoning wildlife. And just last year we experienced our hottest September ever recorded, following a record setting summer. Our global temperature has risen by 1 degree celsius already. It is clear our activity is heating the planet at a very dangerous rate. High temperatures pose a more lethal threat to us than any other type of extreme weather event. Now the party cartel would want us to stay placated while they virtue signal and focus on stuff like yet another Russian bankruptcy…or we could actually do something to fix this.”

Like she had been doing for almost her entire life. She remembered planting trees and restoring wetlands in Britannia. She installed solar panels in the Sahara and Arabia. She and Elias attended the opening of a wind farm in Hispania. But she knew it wasn’t enough. They needed to do much more.

“The consensus among scientists and economists is a carbon tax will be the most effective,” Gertrude said, “Putting the price upstream where fossil fuels enter the market makes it simple, easily enforceable, and bureaucratically lean. A related border tax can protect our domestic businesses from foreign businesses who aren’t held by the same carbon taxes yet. And economists expect such a tax to create jobs, spur innovation, and boost the economy. On the other hand, failing to do anything about climate change will cost us significant economic growth over the next fifty years. So it is in our best interest to do it now and soon. The longer we wait, the more expensive it will become. But the party cartel wants to wait. They don’t want to lose money in the short term. They think they can ride out the storm. News flash: the storm isn’t one you can ride out of. So what do we say to them?”

“ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!” the crowd replied.

“Exactly!” Gertrude said, beaming with pride. “It is time the party cartel acknowledged the climate crisis as the threat it is. So write to your senators and representatives. Donate to your local environmental organizations. Plant a tree or cut back on energy wasting habits. I strongly suggest using local transportation and high speed rail instead of driving a car or taking a plane. And it would really help if you buy your food locally, away from the farm-industrial complex, to reduce the amount of methane—”

A car suddenly slammed into the back of the crowd, running over several people. The crowd screamed and scattered in all directions. Several bodyguards ran up to Gertrude.

“Ma’am, we have to go,” one said, “This could be another—”

“No,” Gertrude said, “I can’t abandon these people.”

She ran in the direction of the car, which backed up, hitting more fleeing attendees. She could now see the injured people lying on the ground. There was blood everywhere, and she grimaced when she realized the direction some of their limbs pointed.

“Please, help us!” one pleaded.

“I’ll do what I can,” Gertrude said.

She turned to her bodyguards. “Don’t just stand there, call the hospital!”

The car revved and accelerated towards her. Gertrude wasn’t intimidated. She stepped in front of the injured people and held out her hands. If someone was going to die, let it be her, not these innocent people. Let her death be a rallying point for climate action. She closed her eyes and heard the screeching of tires. But nothing happened. Gertrude opened her eyes and saw the car had been stopped by several attendees who had swarmed it. They had forced their way in through an open window and dragged out the driver, a young man. They pinned him to the ground and tied him up.

“WE HAVE TO SAVE THE PLANET BY EATING BABIES!” the driver shouted. “EAT THE CHILDREN AND SAVE US ALL!”

Gertrude sighed with relief. Not at the fact the driver was a lunatic, but at the fact she was still alive thanks to the people around her. She had plenty she still needed to do. And with the support of people like these, she was confident she could get it done.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What a lunatic indeed. Also I love that bit on Wilhelm Karl complaining about the joke on him and Karl Dance being twins. Pretty hilarious. That meeting between the three was pretty interesting. A sign of things to come. Especially India having to deal with Neo-Rasas.

What a lunatic indeed. Also I love that bit on Wilhelm Karl complaining about the joke on him and Karl Dance being twins. Pretty hilarious. That meeting between the three was pretty interesting. A sign of things to come. Especially India having to deal with Neo-Rasas.
Tandoori space catering is the future!