The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This stuff is plain wrong and I don't think I ever said any of this.
In the article's defense, the barefoot poverty thing might be taken out of Schulz's speech about the economic state of the Occupied Territories in the Rally update. Here's the context for that statistic.
“We should not have an economy which remains divided between east and west, even thirty years after reunification. We should not have sixty million Romans in the east and elsewhere going without quality health insurance, earning starvation wages, and not being able to save enough for retirement. We should not continue having a regressive tax system in which large corporations like Tesla Dynamic pay little in income taxes.
As for the Postmodernist and Existentialism stuff, that might be information taken from the "Miscellaneous Lore" section of the table of context, although you'd have to dig pretty deep to find that information.

Otherwise, you are right that the page is off in some parts and needs more work. There's a lot of inaccuracies such as the stuff about Perm, the Toothpick Man being the Smoking Man's son and even the Smoking Man being the leader of the Syndicate/Sentinel. And like I said, the X-Division story is barely mentioned aside from the "Heroes R Us" trope.

Last edited:
Gone just as suddenly as Otto. At least Georg is with his father now.

Wilhelm may be good at a speech, but more and more people are seeing his complete calm over tragedies that should be tearing him apart. Not sure just how many people he thinks he can kill before everyone starts to connect the dots.

In the article's defense, the barefoot poverty thing might be taken out of Schulz's speech about the economic state of the Occupied Territories in the Rally update. Here's the context for that statistic.
I guess so, but Schulz did not say people there could barely afford clothes, and I based the speech on one of Bernie Sanders’ speeches about lack of healthcare.
As for the Postmodernist and Existentialism stuff, that might be information taken from the "Miscellaneous Lore" section of the table of context, although you'd have to dig pretty deep to find that information.
That does make sense, although it feels very minor and isn’t really central to Roman philosophy.
Otherwise, you are right that the page is off in some parts and needs more work. There's a lot of inaccuracies such as the stuff about Perm, the Toothpick Man being the Smoking Man's son and even the Smoking Man being the leader of the Syndicate/Sentinel. And like I said, the X-Division story is barely mentioned aside from the "Heroes R Us" trope.
I didn’t notice the Toothpick man stuff as I was too focused on the Perm propaganda. Maybe I should add that as a conspiracy theory or something in a future update...
Gone just as suddenly as Otto. At least Georg is with his father now.

Wilhelm may be good at a speech, but more and more people are seeing his complete calm over tragedies that should be tearing him apart. Not sure just how many people he thinks he can kill before everyone starts to connect the dots.
Can’t connect the dots if there’s nobody left to connect dots...

Can’t connect the dots if there’s nobody left to connect dots...
You know, we joked about the main X-Division crew having admittedly blood soaked plot armor, but so far this arc deviates form that and definitely reminds me of seasons 1-4 GOT and the Expanse in its willingness to suddenly kill off characters (I for sure wasn’t expecting that to be a thing in the Expanse when I started watching a couple months ago, although the regularly murdered supporting cast might be something the Rocinante crew shares in common with X-Division. By the way, thanks for that recommendation beratna Zen, I really enjoy the show.), even seemingly main characters like Georg and Otto, although the latter was inevitable because of his age. Doesn’t help this arc has a morally grey grim dark tone compared to previous arcs.

Last edited:
You know, we joked about the main X-Division crew having admittedly blood soaked plot armor, but so far this arc deviates form that and definitely reminds me of seasons 1-4 GOT and the Expanse in its willingness to suddenly kill off characters (I for sure wasn’t expecting that to be a thing in the Expanse when I started watching a couple months ago, although the regularly murdered supporting cast might be something the Rocinante crew shares in common with X-Division. By the way, thanks for that recommendation beratna Zen, I really enjoy the show.), even seemingly main characters like Georg and Otto, although the latter was inevitable because of his age. Doesn’t help this arc has a morally grey grim dark tone compared to previous arcs.
I did take a lot of inspiration from early GOT’s story structure when writing this as I wanted to cut back on plot armor and make things feel more realistic. Stellaris will take inspiration from The Expanse (glad you like the show, fellow beretna), especially with the physics as I’ve said before. GRRM himself did say The Expanse is his favorite sci-fi show, and many fans do call it GOT in space.

Reactions:
Accountability

Theresa’s house - February 18, 2020, 9:00 PM

“What is happening in this country is unprecedented,” Bysandros said, “Terrorists assassinated Prince Georg and his family last week, and already the Diet is more focused on Russian subsidies than hunting those responsible. The EF isn’t doing anything. They’re too focused eradicating local cultures in the name of continental stability. And what about the UN? Same thing. The Merkel administration is still deadlocked. When will Merkel learn her actions have consequences?”

Vincent turned off the TV.

“Why do you even watch that?” Theresa said, looking up from her article.

“Want to get a balanced view,” Vincent said, “You know, see both sides of the argument.”

“Both sides?” Theresa said.

“Come on, Theresa, you know how things are,” Vincent said, “Everything’s so polarized these days I need to see every issue from each viewpoint.”

“A Schmitz channel isn’t a good viewpoint,” Theresa said, “And sometimes there’s only one side to an argument.”

“Theresa, there’s always two sides to an argument,” Vincent said.

“So does climate change exist?” Theresa said. “Does gravity exist?”

“Well, uh…” Vincent said. “Wait, that’s a different case.”

“False equivalences are as bad as being biased,” Theresa said, “We’re reporters. We should know better than to draw false equivalences.”

“What’s wrong with consulting Schmitz?” Vincent said. “We need to see what they talk about and see how they approach the issues.”

“Even if their arguments are founded in falsehoods?” Theresa said.

“We’ll call them out then,” Vincent said.

“They’ll call us partisan hacks,” Theresa said, “They’re already calling me a hack because I pointed out how convenient it was for Georg to die right around the time Wilhelm Karl sought public approval to overturn the refugee law. A law Georg supported and the Kaiser opposed.”

“You’re not saying he had own his brother killed, are you?” Vincent said.

“If the facts point to that conclusion, then yes,” Theresa said.

“That’s crazy,” Vincent said, “It would be a massive scandal.”

“And yet nobody would do anything about it,” Theresa said, “Because he’s the Kaiser.”

“Don’t worry, Theresa, okay?” Vincent said. “We’ll hold him accountable, like everyone else.”

“Somehow, I doubt that,” Theresa said.

Brandenburg Palace - March 8, 3:00 PM

Wilhelm Karl adjusted his uniform and looked at the medal on the table.

“Let me get this straight,” he said, “I’m awarding this medal to Theresa Novak.”

“Yes,” Heinrich said.

“What did she do this time?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“She exposed a ring of Mongol bots working together to push right-wing propaganda, particularly in the eastern provinces,” Heinrich said.

“How’d she do it?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Well, it says here…” Heinrich said, pulling up the article on his phone. “She noticed a pattern of fake profiles spreading propaganda on Dikastirio, TiEfarmo, and other social networks.”

“Were the bots state sanctioned?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Hard to determine who,” Heinrich said, “But the evidence points to someone.”

“Let me see that,” Wilhelm Karl said, taking the phone.

He scrolled down and searched for other articles on Theresa, not by her. Soon, he found what he was looking for.

“Did you know she’s a drug addict now?” Wilhelm Karl said. “Among other things.”

“I didn’t know,” Heinrich said.

“It’s all here,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Read it.”

Heinrich read the articles. “That’s…terrible. Why would she do that?”

“I know, right?” Wilhelm Karl said. “You know, I don’t think should be giving a medal to someone like that.”

“Agreed,” Heinrich said.

“Call my spokesman,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Put out a statement saying the ceremony’s off.”

“What explanation should I give them?” Heinrich said.

“They don’t deserve one,” Wilhelm Karl said.

He tossed the medal in the trash.

Outside Brandenburg Palace - 3:30 PM

“WHAT THE FRAK DO YOU MEAN IT WAS CANCELED?!” Theresa shouted.

“I’m sorry, ma’am, but you do not have the credentials to enter the palace,” Justin said.

“Captain Wasserman, do you have any idea how much I spent on a flight up here?” Theresa said. “Not to mention getting everything in order so I could have one day off? And you’re telling me the ceremony was canceled just half an hour ago?! On International Women’s Day of all days?!”

“I’m sorry, but I have my orders,” Justin said.

“At least give me an explanation why,” Theresa said, “Did the Kaiser not like my article about Mongol bot factories?”

“I was told otherwise,” Justin said.

“What were you told?” Theresa said.

“You were a drug addict who solicited ‘favors’ from children in exchange for favorable news coverage and exclusive scoops,” Justin said, “Also that you made stuff up.”

“Drug addict?” Theresa said. “Child predator?! Favors exchanged?! You’re serious. I do none of those.”

“Well, it’s going viral online,” Justin said, “Think it goes #junkienovak?”

“This is defamation,” Theresa said, “A hit on me for exposing that bot network. They’ve targeted me now. ARGH!”

She kicked the curb.

“The Kaiser really believes those lies?!” she said. “How much of an idiot is he?”

“I can’t comment on that,” Justin said, “Now can you please leave before I call more security? Also, I should warn against shooting up in front of me. The Kaiser decreed the palace and everything within a thirty feet radius is a drug-free zone.”

Theresa stormed away from the entrance and got back in her car.

“So…I take it the ceremony’s not happening?” Vincent said.

“WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?!” Theresa said.

Inside Brandenburg Palace

Elias looked out the window and watched Theresa drive away.

“She gone?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Just left,” Elias said.

“I’d like to thank you for what you and your friends did,” Wilhelm Karl said.

“It was nothing,” Elias said, “Just give some bitcoins to the right people on the dark web, and let the memes and rumors go viral. Easy as that.”

Alex’s house - March 16, 4:00 PM

Alex entered the house and put down his backpack.

“Mom, I’m home!” he said.

There was no response.

“Mom?” he said.

Still no response.

“Dad, you there?” Alex said.

Nobody answered.

“This isn’t funny!” Alex said.

Maybe they were still at work. Alex took out his phone and dialed his mom’s number.

“Not now, Alex, I’m busy,” Diana whispered.

“Mom?” Alex said. “What’s going on?”

“I’m in a meeting right now,” Diana said, “A bomb at your dad’s place. Got to go.”

She hung up. Alex immediately dialed his dad’s number.

“Hello?” Anders said.

“Dad, what’s going on?” Alex said.

“Sorry I’m late,” Anders said, “I was holed up at work. Somebody mailed a bomb to us, addressed to Theresa. We’re on full lockdown.”

“Are you okay?” Alex said.

“We’re fine,” Anders said, “But it may be hours before I can come home.”

“Do you know who did it?” Alex said.

“Not yet,” Anders said, “But I’ll find out. I promise you. I hate to be the story itself, but it’s not my choice, I guess. This is what happens when there are people who hate the free press and the truth they print. Look, Alex, I’ll be fine. Just…find some food first. It may be a while.”

“Alright, Dad,” Alex said, “I hope you’re okay.”

“I will, Alex,” Anders said, “I always will.”

Alex hung up. Now where was that leftover roast beef?

Brandenburg Palace - March 17, 5:00 PM

“The Kaiser still has not issued a statement about the recent attempted bombing of the Die Zeiten main offices,” the RBC anchor reported, “His father had previously condemned acts of domestic terrorism during his reign, most notably during the Trebizond bombings in the 1990s.”

Wilhelm Karl changed the channel.

“The Kaiser has not spoken out against this act of attempted domestic terrorism,” the IBC reporter said, “It remains to be seen if he will condemn such acts like his father did.”

“This comes after His Majesty last week rescinded an award intended for Die Zeiten reporter Theresa Novak,” the IBS reporter said, “She helped break the Sentinel leaks and has recently reported on a Mongol bot network spreading right-wing propaganda. This announcement came on International Women’s Day, which leads many to assume a hidden agenda is at play here.”

“It’s also no coincidence that just this last weekend, he also used imperial decrees to rollback antitrust laws regarding media mergers and regulations on journalism standards to, in his words, ‘promote economic growth and competition’,” the CNN pundit said, “And two days ago, he lashed out at reporters from Frankfurter Zeitung for recklessly harassing the negligent drone operator involved in the death of Prince Georg, saying they dishonored his late brother’s memory and disgraced the profession; the operator later committed suicide as a result. The reporters are now being sued for causing his death.”

Wilhelm Karl changed the channel. His TV now showed a town street, with cars burning and bandana-wearing young men throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at riot police.

“An angry mob has set up barricades in the streets of Ulm earlier this afternoon,” the local news reporter said, “What was initially a peaceful French Lives Matter rally for allegedly bringing to light police brutalities against the French community was soon hijacked by radical neo-equalists who called for violent rebellion to establish an independent Soviet Republic of France. The governor has declared martial law and mobilized the Imperial Guard…”

“Why doesn’t everyone else report on the important news?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“Well, the rest of the media has it out for you,” Elias said.

“I can see that,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Why do they never learn? Why do they never talk about my achievements?”

“They seem to think you incite violence and hatred,” Elias said.

“Ridiculous,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I’m just pointing out the flaws in the system. I’m not sugarcoating my words. They take it upon themselves to take offense to whatever I say. What should I do about them?”

“Not really anything right now,” Elias said, “At least Dikastirio folded.”

“They did?” Wilhelm Karl said.

“They ditched the plan to tweak the algorithm to search for hate speech,” Elias said, “Turns out it’s biased against CB, the Shepherds’ Brotherhood, and a lot of the CMU.”

“At least they understand,” Wilhelm Karl said, “Funny, the one media source everyone calls the most left-wing actually listens to what I have to say.”

“Ironic indeed,” Elias said.

“Say, what are you doing lately?” Wilhelm Karl said. “I haven't seen you or Gertrude at any public events since the examinations.”

“We’ve been lying low,” Elias said, “Switching gears to our charity work for the time being. Gertrude’s spending the extra time to write a new book.”

“Sounds great,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I look forward to reading it.”

“It’s going to be another bestseller, I can feel it,” Elias said, “With it, we can slowly rebuild our credibility going into 2025.”

“Good work, Elias,” Wilhelm Karl said, “I hope you win in 2025. I'm getting sick of the current Diet’s antics…”

His eyes wandered to a corner of the room. He saw Georg leaning against the wall, staring quietly at him just like Otto and Elisabeth Alexandra did.

“Hey!” Wilhelm Karl shouted. “What are you doing here?”

Elias looked at the corner but saw nothing.

“Uh…you talking to me?” he asked.

“No!” Wilhelm Karl said. “Him! Don’t you see him?”

“Who?” Elias said.

“My brother!” Wilhelm Karl said. “He’s there, watching me!”

“Sir, your brother is dead, and there’s nobody in this room but us,” Elias said.

Wilhelm Karl focused on the corner, but Georg was gone.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ironic how Theresa and the X-Division crew are being silenced with fake news and terrorist attacks when they were the ones to expose Sentinel in the first place. They probably are the only ones willing to hold the Kaiser accountable at this point now that a major social media site like Dikastirio is under the control of one of Wihelm Karl’s allies, Tesla. No wonder why Wilhelm sees them as a threat. Looks like X-Division’s mission to reveal the truth didn’t stop with the Jotun, Syndicate and Sentinel after all.

And now Georg has joined his parents and his sister in death in driving Wilhelm insane, just like what happened to Bethune and his wife during the Anarchy. That's some karmic justice right there.

I wonder if the news report on the FLM protest is taking it out of context knowing what the CB's done recently, like what they did to the Nahuatl senator and Martin Schulz for example? It'd wouldn't be the first time a generally positive movement is spun as a group of radical equalist SJWS because of a few bad eggs and misinterpretations and outright lies spun from the opposition.

Last edited:
Ironic how Theresa and the X-Division crew are being silenced with fake news and terrorist attacks when they were the ones to expose Sentinel in the first place. They probably are the only ones willing to hold the Kaiser accountable at this point now that a major social media site like Dikastirio is under the control of one of Wihelm Karl’s allies, Tesla. No wonder why Wilhelm sees them as a threat. Looks like X-Division’s mission to reveal the truth didn’t stop with the Jotun, Syndicate and Sentinel after all.
It goes to show how the fight goes on, even after the story ends.
And now Georg has joined his parents and his sister in death in driving Wilhelm insane, just like what happened to Bethune and his wife during the Anarchy. That's some karmic justice right there.
The silent treatment is what Wilhelm Karl deserves.
I wonder if the news report on the FLM protest is taking it out of context knowing what the CB's done recently, like what they did to the Nahuatl senator and Martin Schulz for example? It'd wouldn't be the first time a generally positive movement is spun as a group of radical equalist SJWS because of a few bad eggs and misinterpretations and outright lies spun from the opposition.
I'll be talking more about the protest in the next update, but I should note that in game there actually was an unscripted "equalists in Ulm" event, one of the recurring vanilla NWO provincial events I simply renamed.

I won't be surprised if the previous Hohenzollerns start giving old Willhelm the cold shoulder should they make an appearance at the end of all this. The Kaiser certainly has caused quite a division. Getting worried for the X-Division crew and Theresa too, they're a threat in the eyes of the Kaiser.

Reactions:
I won't be surprised if the previous Hohenzollerns start giving old Willhelm the cold shoulder should they make an appearance at the end of all this. The Kaiser certainly has caused quite a division. Getting worried for the X-Division crew and Theresa too, they're a threat in the eyes of the Kaiser.
And Anders has already angered Elias and CB...

The slander against Theresa Novak honestly comes across as childish more than calculating; a drug addict who prefers children? That's a bit much.

Glad to see Georg gets help the family drive Wilhelm up the wall.

The slander against Theresa Novak honestly comes across as childish more than calculating; a drug addict who prefers children? That's a bit much.

Glad to see Georg gets help the family drive Wilhelm up the wall.
It's not about the substance but the reach and impact. While it obviously sounds outlandish, that just draws people's attention, encouraging them to spread the "news" around, and soon everyone hears about it before Theresa can speak the truth.

Wait... How do you convert from HOI to NWO?
I wrote a custom Java program which reads in province data from the end of base Victoria 2 and then overwrites the NWO province mappings with that data. Then I had to adjust the provinces for changes that happened in HOI3 as well as for any new provinces and changed mappings (like how a lot of Russian provinces ended up in India I think). After that, I wrote/edited the decisions, events, political parties, and diplomatic relations manually.

Reactions:
Focusing on the Future
Alex’s house - March 17, 2020, 6:00 PM

“French Lives Matter, the activist group responsible for this afternoon’s rallies in Ulm, denies its role in inciting the violence which broke out,” the reporter said.

“We are not a mob!” a bandana-wearing FLM protester said. “Far from it! We just wanted to bring to light the injustices and suffering of the French community, even in a supposedly meritocratic and free country. It was hijacked by French nationalists and neo-equalists for their own agenda. We categorically condemn their efforts. They are not us. Please understand that. The French people deserve sympathy and a fair chance at life, like the rest of us. The name French Lives Matter is an attempt to emphasize that French lives should matter as much as everybody else’s, not that they are the only ones that matter.”

“It is believed the violence began when a car plowed through a group of counter-protesters calling themselves All Lives Matter,” the reporter said, “One woman was killed, the driver was attacked by the counter-protesters, and people started throwing rocks and torching cars.”

“The French Lives Matter people are hypocrites,” an ALM protester said, “All they do is push people and then scream ‘French Lives Matter’ to get out of trouble. The police are too scared of being cancelled to do their jobs! These French people are either so good they become sports stars or so poor they go around killing people. That is what they mean when they say French Lives Matter. And then when they get hurt, they say French Lives Matter so they get a pass. They just tried to mow us down, and now they’re screaming French Lives Matter again! What, so our lives don’t even matter? They don’t matter, while those of French criminals do? It should not be a crime to say that All Lives Matter! The media wants you to think only neo-Angeloi use that, but I am not an Angeloi!”

“Alex, eat your food,” Diana said.

Alex picked up his fork and continued eating his pasta.

“It’s all a mess,” Anders said.

“The office is overwhelmed,” Diana said.

“So is mine,” Anders said.

“It’ll blow over, won’t it?” Alex said.

“Alex, these sort of things never blow over,” Diana said, “They just get worse, until somebody does something.”

“Are you going to do something?” Alex said.

“Maybe I’ll write a story,” Anders said, “But I’ve got a lot on my plate right now. Figuratively and literally.”

“Still working on the defamation suit Theresa brought?” Diana said.

“It’s the only thing the office talks about,” Anders said, “Look, Alex, we’ll handle this. You should worry about your classes first. When you’re our age, you’ll understand.”

Alex didn't want to wait until his hairline was receding like Anders' or his hair had streaks of gray like Diana's.

“Anyways…” Diana said. “You hear about the Livonian examinations?”

“Yeah, the equalists are on track to winning,” Anders said.

“Ironic,” Diana said.

“Though they say they’ll respect the laws of the Commonwealth and such,” Alex said.

“They always say that,” Anders said, “But hey, let’s wait and see. Maybe this Valiulis guy is different.”

Alex ate more of his pasta.

“Why is the world so crazy these days?” Alex said. “We’ve got riots that aren’t riots, acts of domestic terror, a controversial Kaiser, and equalists making a comeback.”

“Alex, it’s always been like this,” Diana said, “You dad and I had our own craziness when we were younger. What matters is how we handle it, okay?”

“I suppose so,” Alex said.

“Why don’t we change the channel to something better?” Anders said. “The news can be so gloomy sometimes.”

Alex changed the channel. A Star Trek episode was on.

“That’s my boy,” Anders said.

Diana rolled her eyes.

“Wait a minute,” Anders said, “Is that...Augustin?”

“Yeah?” Alex said.

“I thought I told you that’s not real Star Trek!” Anders said.

“What?!” Alex said.

“Where’s the exploration?” Anders said. “The humanism? The diplomacy? It’s all just edgy action and lens flare!”

“If you bothered to watch past Season 1 you’d see otherwise, Dad!” Alex said.

“Season 2 still has too much lens flare and action!” Anders said.

“Does not!” Alex said. “And Season 3 has the humanism back!”

“It’s not Star Trek!” Anders said.

“It literally has the Star Trek name!” Alex said.

“And it’s ruining it!” Anders said.

“Okay boomer!” Alex said.

“I am not a boomer!” Anders said.

Diana rolled her eyes and continued eating. Come on, she thought. They’d just get along if they watched Strange New Worlds like she did.

CB headquarters - April 8, 8:00 AM

The party leaders took their seats at the table. Thierry waited for them with a slideshow already prepared behind him.

“Thanks for coming in very early,” he said, “We’ve got some developments happening that we could capitalize on.”

“Like what?” Jacob said.

“In the Eimericas, Tawantinsuyuan and EF forces just defeated the last major rebel group,” Thierry said, “Tawantinsuyu has begun accession talks to the EF.”

“Well that’s surprising,” Emilio said, “Didn’t think the UPM and Mexico would agree to it.”

“How would we capitalize on that?” Sebastian said. “Our focus is on the climate crisis, not Eimerican political developments.”

“I have an idea,” Josiah said, “We announce a plan to invest in Tawantinsuyu. You guys read my Die Zeiten column about how Nepal and Bhutan use nets to capture water from clouds and fog in the mountains right? Well, the Tawantinsuyuans also do something like that, in the cloud forests high up in the Andes that are threatened by climate change. I’ve heard farmers in those areas use highly sustainable methods. You really have to see the cloud forests. They are quite beautiful. We should fly out there someday.”

“Make them the centerpiece of our campaign,” Joel said, “We talk about how the Tawantinsuyuan farmers maintain their livelihoods without destroying the cloud forests, which are already under threat. And these cloud forests are rare and special, so they should be protected like the Tawantinsuyuans do. We announce a plan to invest money in these farmers to promote their farming methods.”

“Good idea,” Jacob said, “But I think people are more interested in issues closer to home.”

“Like the Livonian equalists?” Emilio said.

“Yes, the Livonian equalists,” Jacob said.

“I was just about to talk about them,” Thierry said, “No doubt you heard of Valiulis’ victory in the examinations four days ago. I’ve heard rumors of Paulluists rioting in Riga and Vilnius already.”

“We need to condemn the violence,” Josiah said, “On both sides. I understand the equalists have quite a comprehensive plan to combat the climate crisis, but the rest of their platform…let’s just say it’s less than ideal. Condemn the riots and distance ourselves from either of them. We can’t risk the public comparing us with equalists.”

“Agreed,” Jacob said, “If that happens, we’re dead in 2025.”

“Scratch that, we’ll be dead in 2021,” Emilio said.

“What does Anhorn say?” Joel said. “Where is he anyways?”

“He and Gertrude are busy promoting the Shepherds’ Brotherhood in Wales,” Thierry said, “We decided the best way to increase our support for 2021 was to expand our reach in the west.”

“You’re still listening to him, after what he did in the last examinations?” Emilio said.

“Did you forget that YOU were the one who approved that stupid ad?!” Josiah said.

“You and your friend Joel here drove away half of our supporters,” Thierry said.

“We would’ve lost them anyways,” Joel said, “At least we’d take down Schulz with us.”

“And now he’s frakking dead!” Josiah said.

“You have any ideas how many apologies and condemnations and backtracking I had to do in the weeks afterward?” Thierry said. “That’s the reason Elias is out in Wales instead of here with us! You frakked us up! You’re both lucky I’m not firing you.”

“Yeah, because you need our supporters,” Emilio said.

“Elias understood that,” Sebastian said, ”He was willing to make the difficult calls when it counted.”

“Let’s move past that, can we?” Josiah said. “What’s done is done. Focus on the future.”

“Thank you,” Thierry said, “Moving on.”

He continued his presentation, but the tension continued to hang over everyone’s heads.

Vilnius - May 3

Boris looked out the window and scanned the deserted and rubble-strewn street for any rioters.

“Chancellor, I assure you this district is secure,” he said.

Chancellor Valiulis, a short bespectacled intellectual, sighed with relief.

“Thank goodness,” he said.

“You don’t have to worry about anything, Valiulis,” Boris said.

“Thanks to you, General Bradziunas,” Valiulis said.

“They were just riots,” Boris said, “We were in no danger of losing control. The Paulluists had very little support.”

“Still, we lost eighty-one soldiers,” Valiulis said, “And the casualties in Riga are mounting.”

“Which is a tragedy,” Boris said, “But with any luck, Riga will calm down soon. Then you can get to governing.”

“How many times do I have to tell them I’m not going to overthrow the monarchy and restore the Soviet Commune?” Valiulis said. “Nobody wants that. I was appointed to lead the Commonwealth by the people of this nation. My mandate comes from them. Obviously I’m not going to waste it on something they don’t want. And I’m on good terms with Gediminas. No way I’d give him the boot.”

“You’ll have to work harder to convince them then,” Boris said, “Maybe you could reaffirm your commitment to transitioning Livonia to fully sustainable energy. Focus on that future.”

“Right, that was one of my cornerstones,” Valiulis said.

“I heard Tesla Dynamic is offering a partnership to help fund such a transition,” Boris said, “They could help you.”

“A partnership with a Roman company,” Valiulis said, “That would definitely show the public I’m not the reincarnation of Varennikov.”

Tenochtitlan - July 1, 4:00 PM

“Ladies and gentlemen, I'm coming to you live from Seoul, where tonight the best rowers in the world continue their quest for the gold. Grab your snacks, and grab your kids, because this next race is gonna be a doozy.”

Gebhard Remmele casually followed the announcer’s directions, though he had no kids yet. He ate a tlaxcalli he ordered from a food truck outside his soon to be evacuated headquarters. He could barely hear the audio over the roar of his air conditioner. It was something he wouldn’t miss when he returned home.

“The Srivijayans have moxie. Look at them blow out the other teams and close the gap with the leading Romans. You can clearly see the effort that Suriyawong is putting into his strokes. Ebert and his team are struggling hard to stay ahead.”

Gebhard continued eating his tlaxcalli. He was surprised the Srivijayans were now a significant threat to the Roman team. By pooling together the best of Southeast Asia’s talent, they had catapulted themselves to the top tiers. They realized they could all reach a better future if they worked together.

“But Suriyawong smells blood in the water. One stroke, two strokes, three, the Srivijayans have caught up with the Romans. The finish line is approaching, can Ebert hold on? They’re neck and neck now, and we may have a photo finish on our hands.”

Gebhard’s attention was drawn even closer now. The teams were really neck and neck, and he couldn't tell which was ahead. He privately hoped the Romans would pull off a miracle.

“Suriyawong and his team line up for one final push, and…wait! Look! What a surprise! The Eimerican team rockets past the tired Srivijayan and Roman teams! And they’ve crossed the finish line! What an upset! Nobody saw this coming! They came back all the way from last place to win the gold! Do you believe in miracles? To quote another Olympic reporter, yes!”

Thordarsson realized the same with the Eimericas. If they all worked together, they could lift themselves out of the suffering and torment they had been stuck in for a century and reinvent themselves as truly equal with the Old World. Made sense they would win this one, as they had an entire continent’s worth of talent to choose from. The Srivijayan and Eimerican unity teams were really something, Gebhard thought. They upended the Olympics and made it much more exciting than just a guaranteed Roman victory every time. Of course, his country still did pretty well at Seoul so far, but he was looking forward to the Oslo games in 2024.

The Mexicans on the Eimerican unity team did particularly well, and that was a source of pride for the Mexicans around Gebhard. The Mexican soldiers on base cheered, raising their full glasses of metoctli, every time one of their own won a competition. And if they won gold, Gebhard couldn’t be able to go anywhere without seeing dozens of smiling Mexicans throughout Tenochtitlan proudly boasting of their new national heroes. The kids playing at a nearby school would play games and sports using those athletes’ names. After years of insurgency and chaos, the Mexican people had finally regained hope. Granted, the insurgency itself wasn’t over yet. Gebhard was still in the middle of a particularly nasty counter-insurgency operation against Paulluist and neo-equalist militias in Tejas. Although he was happy for the Mexicans’ successes in Seoul, he had other things to worry about. Like crushing this insurgency for good before he and his troops handed things over to the EF and went home. The casualty rates had gone down, with maybe 2400 Romans killed in one engagement, but the insurgents had struck the heart of Tejas again. Every time he took them out, they came back. It was frustrating. He really needed a break. This war had been going on for almost 20 years now. He had spent his entire career here, fighting the same people under different banners. This wasn’t how he wanted to spend his entire career. It was time he moved on. His future didn’t lie in Mexico. Mexico’s future didn’t lie in a continued Roman presence. No, it was time the EF stepped up and led the country into a new age. As for himself, once the Tejas stuff was wrapped up, his job was done. He was going to go home and get some rest.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I wrote a custom Java program which reads in province data from the end of base Victoria 2 and then overwrites the NWO province mappings with that data. Then I had to adjust the provinces for changes that happened in HOI3 as well as for any new provinces and changed mappings (like how a lot of Russian provinces ended up in India I think). After that, I wrote/edited the decisions, events, political parties, and diplomatic relations manually.
Ahhhh... I already got my hopes up there was a converter somewhere, but no matter. Must have taken a lot of effort.

Ahhhh... I already got my hopes up there was a converter somewhere, but no matter. Must have taken a lot of effort.
There actually was a HOI4/NWO converter simsulla (creator of NWO) was working on for a time around 3-4 years ago when I started Part 5, but he abandoned it because HOI4 was updating too quickly for him to update the converter. It did take a lot of effort for me, since my code only did province mappings from Part 3 to base NWO and nothing else, and it assumed no new provinces were made or existing provinces were in the same place. It was a pain to work with. I think there are still a few misplaced cores for minor/releasable nations, and province names had to be made up again from scratch (for the third time in a row) while a few names (again, mostly Russian ones) ended up in the wrong place.

Reactions:
I just updated after a short break and boy I am mad at the bastard of this family and the best case scenario for us the audience will be to see God wake up after 2,000 years and above and obliterate Wilhelm Karl even with the notion of deus ex machina.

I just updated after a short break and boy I am mad at the bastard of this family and the best case scenario for us the audience will be to see God wake up after 2,000 years and above and obliterate Wilhelm Karl even with the notion of deus ex machina.
God has been awake this whole time, but it seems like all He cares about is interdimensional music right now...

Valiulis seems like a good man. Given recent trends, I imagine he'll be dead in a few chapters.