The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
These damn aliens.
They sucked at driving, so they wanted to vent their anger by messing with us. Literally.:p
Anakin: Is there a way to learn this power?
Papaltine: Not from an RSB agent.:p
UNLIMITED WIRETAPS!:D
Now I´m picturing Konrad von Hapsburg signing a version of ¨You´ll be Back¨ in place of King George III and obsessing over the Reich.:D
Given his personality, I wouldn't be surprised.:rolleyes:
That reminds me, how bloody was the Maximst War/First Roman civil war? I presume it was a lot bloodier than the American Civil War and most likely closer to OTL´s Taiping Rebellion in terms of casualties and death toll, so I´d estimate it to approximately close to 20-50 million, same with the Fifty Years war.
Those are reasonable casualty rates, especially given how more densely populated Europe is compared to real life.
Since WW2 already took 130-160 million casualties here, I´d guess the Second Roman civil war took up half of the casualties of WW2 overall.
And most of the other half is taken up by the Soviet-Angeloi front.
Also you mentioned that some of the Maximst (the members of the movement, not the family) practiced slavery in Victoria 2, so I´m wondering if movies like Twelve Years a Slave and other fiction about slavery would still exist here?
They wouldn't be exactly the same as in real life, because slavery was never as big a deal in the Reich (it was quietly abolished without a civil war). It might still exist, but they'd touch on different themes.
I know that the Maxist were primarily about forcing a constitutional monarchy on the Reich, but since they were still nationalistic and highly xenophobic, I wonder if the Maximst wanted slavery as one of their issues and goals since I think there was still some opposition to the Kaisers abolishing it from nobles and nationalists and if slavery during the Maximst Wars was anything like Slavery in the pre civil war USA and CSA?
The Maximists wouldn't have wanted a return of slavery, since it had been abolished for several decades already and most people, even the potential slavers, wouldn't want it back. However...
Something tells me that the Maximsts implemented some form of apartheid or state supported segregation before they were overthrown by the Siegfriedists.
The Maximists would want to limit the influence of the minorities (including those which would've been enslaved) by stripping them of voting rights and, eventually, their classification of Roman citizens. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to move to institutionalized segregation afterwards. Plus, their voting system only included rich white Christian German/Greek men. But the Siegfriedists aren't perfect. There remained an informal policy of segregation and discrimination against minorities until the 1960s and Abraham Green.

The Trials of Daniel Burkard, Part 2

An agent drilled a hole in the wall to try to look into the room as other agents, including Louise and Raum, looked at the floor plan of the building. In the main office, the tactical commander picked up the phone when it rang.

“Yeah,” he said, “Hey, who here can talk to an Agent Hansen?”

Pavel walked over and took the phone. “Hey, Agent Hansen, it's Pavel.”

“Where's my cousin?” Angela asked.

“He traded himself for one of the hostages,” Pavel said.

“WHAT?!” Angela said.

“Long story, but he's in with Daniel Burkard,” Pavel said.

“You've got to get him out of there,” Angela said.

“Well, they're working on it,” Pavel said.

“No, you've got to get him out of there now or he's going to be killed!” Angela said.

“How can you be sure?” Pavel said.

“Because he’s not what Anders thinks he is,” Angela said, “I’m looking at one of his brain scans right now, and I think I know what’s wrong with him.”

---

Daniel sat down next to Anders.

“How old was your sister when they took her?” Daniel asked.

“She was eight,” Anders said.

“I've seen kids sometimes, young girls and boys,” Daniel said.

“What are they doing to them?” Anders said.

“Doing tests,” Daniel said, “You know... testing them.”

Anders noticed the agents drilling a hole in the wall above Daniel’s head. He kept his attention focused on Daniel so he wouldn’t see it.

“I tell them not to cry,” Daniel said.

“Are they hurting them?” Anders asked.

“Oh, yeah,” Daniel said, “Sometimes... sometimes it hurts real bad, and uh... you just want to die, you know? You know what it's like, sir? It's like living with a gun to your head and never knowing when it's going to go off. Like Russian roulette, you know what I mean?”

“You can let the others go, Daniel,” Anders said, “Let the others go and take me.”

Daniel laughed. “Oh... they heard you talking like that, they're going to have your ass.”

Anders smiled a little. “I don't care about that, Daniel.”

“Nah, I wouldn't do that to you,” Daniel said, “Besides, Doc and I got an appointment. Ain't that right, Doc?”

Anders looked at Herman, who was scared stiff.

---

9:00 PM

In the other room, the agent fed a small camera feed through the hole, and the person at the monitor gave the okay sign. The screen showed Anders, Herman, Eva, and Trude, but Daniel was out of view. The tactical commander printed out a still and handed it to Louise.

“We got a picture,” he said, “Humboldt is here, opposite the doctor. The women are on the north wall. We can't see the east wall, so Daniel Burkard must be there.”

“Hold on a second!” an agent said.

Louise and the commander looked up to see Angela arguing with the agent.

“No, I don't think you understand what I'm telling you,” she said, infuriated, “I just flew up here on a chartered Kongruenz from Constantinople, you should know how expensive those...”

“We, we got a situation in progress...” the agent said.

“Alright, well then let me speak to someone who's in charge,” Angela said.

“You are,” Pavel said, putting his hand on her shoulder, “Calm down, Angela.”

Angela pushed his hand off and pushed him away.

“Don't tell me to calm down, I'm not going to calm down until I can talk to someone who will listen to what I'm saying!” she shouted. “This is my cousin we’re talking about!”

Louise walked over. “What's the problem here?”

“I'm Special Agent Angela Hansen, and I have information that is vital to your negotiations,” Angela said.

“What information?” Louise said.

“I think there has been a critical misjudgment here,” Angela said, “This man who claims to be under the control of aliens, his, his mental health history describes a rare state of psychosis.”

Angela put down a file on a table and pointed at it. “As you can see from his medical records, whatever records I could find in the Soviet archives, in 1982, Daniel Burkard was shot in the line of duty while helping suppress a pro-unification student protest, the bullet piercing his bilateral frontal lobes.”

“Right,” Louise said.

“The injury left him nearly incapable of functioning in society,” Angela said, “It effectively destroyed the moral center of his brain. Now, almost a hundred years ago, there was a famous case. A railroad worker named Phineas Gage had a blasting rod pierce the same region.”

“And what effect did it have?” Louise said.

“He became a pathological liar, suffering from severe delusions,” Angela said, “His behavior was characterized as bizarre and violent with a tendency to act out his fantasies.”

“How did you get involved in this case?” Louise said.

“Agent Humboldt called me,” Angela said, “We’re family.”

“Well, if this is true, he's got him completely fooled,” Louise said.

“Is there a way I can reach him with this information?” Angela said.

Louise pointed at the wiretap headsets. “Put one of those on.”

---

“The government knows about it, you know,” Daniel said, “They're even in on it sometimes. Right there in the room when they come. They work together with a, uh, secret, uh, corporation. I remember these two men, wearing these black suits. They stood in my doorway as the aliens took me away.”

“Who in the government?” Anders asked. “Sentinel?”

“A man who likes cigarettes, the military,” Daniel said, “They're all in it together. The government knows why they're here, but they wouldn't dare let the truth out. So they cooperate.”

“You're going to have to deal with resolving this situation, Daniel, sooner or later,” Anders said.

“I’m tired,” Daniel said.

“There's no other way out,” Anders said, “You've got to tell them what you want to do.”

“I just want to go back to the place,” Daniel said.

“What place?” Anders asked.

“Where it first started,” Daniel said, “Where they first came and got me.”

“Where is that?” Anders asked.

Daniel sighed. “A mountain. We went, uh, up... and up. Ascending... ascending to the stars. I'm not going again.”

Daniel groaned.

“Anders?” Angela said in his radio. “It's me, Angie. Listen to me. You cannot trust this guy. He is a brain-damaged psychopath who took a bullet in the head. He is not what you think he is.”

“How do they find you each time?” Anders asked.

“Implants...” Daniel said. “My gums, sinus cavities...”

He pointed at his nose and mouth. Then he lifted his shirt, revealing a scar over his belly button.

“...and my belly button,” he said, “Tracking devices.”

“Anders, he could snap at any time,” Angela said, “He has a history of irrational and violent behavior. Now, you have to work towards resolving this. Now, you have his trust. You have to try and negotiate with him.”

Anders looked at Eva and Trude.

“Why not let the women go, Daniel?” Anders asked. “They'll deal with you if you let the women go.”

“That's good, that's good, Anders,” Angela said, “Now keep him talking. SWAT is moving into position and unless you can get him to free the hostages, they're going to execute a tactical plan.”

“The women are of no consequence to you,” Anders said, “Let them go. It's the right thing to do, Daniel.”

Daniel hesitated and then nodded to Herman. “Okay, but he stays.”

Eva and Trude ran out of the room.

“The women are clear,” a sniper said, “I got him, standing, center room... moving...”

Anders heard footsteps outside. The agents were preparing to storm the building.

“This is the countdown, Anders,” Angela said, “They're coming at you.”

“We're going to need transportation,” Daniel said.

“What do you want, Daniel?” Anders said. “A car?”

“I don't know,” Daniel said.

“Do you know where you want to go?” Anders asked.

“They're going to tell me,” Daniel said.

“Daniel, you can't leave here if you don't know where you want to go,” Anders said.

At that moment, he noticed a red tracking laser dot on the back of Daniel’s neck, just as Daniel got up and turned around. Anders’ face turned to one of shock as he noticed Daniel noticing the dot and tensing up. A shot rang out, and the glass shattered. Daniel fell down, his gun flying out of his hands. Outside, Anders could hear the tactical team shouting commands to each other.

“Let's go, let's move!”

“Okay, come on!”

“He's down, he's down, he's down!”

Daniel started to regain consciousness, but the agents pinned him down and tied him to a gurney, which they loaded into an ambulance. The men on the APB talked to each other as Angela approached Anders, who watched Daniel being loaded up. Anders felt a lot of regret.

“You okay, Anders?” she said.

“Yeah,” Anders said.

“Whatever you're feeling...” Angela said, “You did the right thing.”

He scoffed at that. He remembered telling that to Pavel right after he shot Augustus Kurt.

“Did they tell you that when Ed Funsch shot up the college?” Anders said.

“As a matter of fact, they did,” Angela said, “Listening to them helped me cope.”

Anders nodded. “It's just that, uh... I believed him.”

“Sometimes when you want to believe so badly, you end up... looking too hard,” Angela said, “Come on, let’s get you a beer or something.”

The ambulance started away, sirens blaring.

Wolfgang Ludendorff Memorial Hospital, Constantinople – October 8, 1994, 12:30 AM

Anders slowly walked down the hallway towards Louise, who talked to a police officer. They shook hands and walked with each other.

“Agent Humboldt, thanks for coming,” Louise said.

“No, I was surprised to get your call,” Anders said, “I was planning to go get a drink before I get some shut-eye.”

“Yeah, well...” Louise said. “As it turned out, whatever your impression of the way it was handled, I didn't get to thank you for going out there and putting it on the line.”

Anders smiled and laughed.

“What?”

“I don't know, I guess I thought maybe you called me down here to chew me out,” Anders said.

Louise laughed a little.

“How's he doing?” Anders asked.

“They almost lost him, but he stabilized,” Louise said, “They got him listed on critical.”

They walked into his room. Daniel lay on the hospital bed, hooked up to life support.

“I checked on his records in the old KGB archives and our own,” Louise said, “It was exemplary, in both agencies. His accident was something of a mystery. The KGB had sent him and some other operatives to infiltrate some pro-unification protesters based in the woods outside Temeschburg, then called Timisoara. We tasked him with getting the protesters to an Athanatoi safehouse. For reasons we don’t know, a firefight erupted, and he was shot by his own weapon and left for dead in the woods. He was never the same afterwards. Lost everything in the next few months... wife, kids, house, both jobs, Party membership...”

“The fine thread of sanity,” Anders said.

“I actually called you down here for another reason, Agent Humboldt,” Louise said, “Uh... in the x-rays, the surgeon found several pieces of metal. In his gums, in his sinus cavity, and one in the abdomen. I had them checked, I felt you'd want to know... and there were tiny drill holes in his left and right rear molars. A dentist who examined them said they could not have been done with any of the current equipment in use... not without chipping or damaging the tooth. Anyway... I thought you ought to know.”

She handed Anders some x-ray print-outs and left. Anders looked at Daniel before he too walked out of the room.

Angela’s office – 1:00 AM

Anders sat across from Angela, who sat at her desk. She looked at one of the implants from Daniel put in a tiny glass vial.

“Remarkable,” she said, “At first glance, it looks similar to the one we found in Normandy and in Max Fenig. But on closer look, I have my doubts. It could just be a piece of shrapnel. Daniel Burkard participated in the Prague Spring crackdown and several other crackdowns throughout the decade, in addition to the Dacian one you mentioned.”

“It was right where he said it would be, Angie,” Anders said, “Along with the ones in his gums and sinus.”

“And you think that this was implanted?” Angela said.

“Well, if it was, that would mean he’s telling the truth,” Anders said.

“Or some version of the truth,” Angela said.

Anders rubbed his eye. “I’m tired. The beer didn’t help out.”

“Look, I'll, I'll take this down to ballistics,” Angela said, “We can have this cleared up in a second. Then we can go home.”

Leza Atsumi's lab, Omar Mukhtar Building – 1:30 AM

Leza looked at the implant under a microscope. “Let me just make a slight adjustment here…”

She sat down next to Angela, andthey looked at the implant on a computer screen.

“What do you think?” Angela asked.

“Could be a shell casing or a small artillery fragment,” Leza said, “The edges are dull, but it could have been white-hot when it entered the body.”

“That would make sense,” Angela said.

Leza zoomed in on a portion of it. She pointed out some markings with her pen.

“But look at this,” she said.

“What?” Angela said.

“These small markings,” Leza said, “See them here?”

“Mm-hmm,” Angela said, “Looks like some kind of a stamp.”

“Like it's been tooled or etched,” Leza said, “Pretty fine work, too. This square we're looking at is only ten microns across. Strange. I wouldn’t expect the Soviets to do something like this, if they had the technology.”

Angela looked at the computer screen, unsure of what she saw. It again looked very much like the implants in Max Fenig, Augustus Kurt, and ‘Ragnar Sigeric’.

Crescent Supermarket – 2:00 AM

Angela stood in the express checkout line as the clerk ran her groceries over the barcode scanner. She had her headphones on. Her Walkman blared Prinz to help her stay awake long enough to get home.

“That will be fourteen marks,” the clerk said.

Angela handed a 20 mark bill to the clerk as he bagged the groceries.

“Thanks,” the clerk said.

He took the drawer to get change, but he didn’t have enough. He went over to the service desk, where a woman stood next to the cigarette machine.

“Excuse me, can I get some help here with these?” she asked.

“I'll, uh, be right with you,” the clerk said, “I just have to cash out my drawer.”

Making sure the clerk was far enough away, Angela took out the implant. She ran it across the barcode scanner, and the machine went crazy, displaying random digits and beeping wildly. She quickly put away the implant as the clerk ran back over.

“What happened?” he asked. “Did you touch something?”

“Uh, I don't know what happened,” Angela said.

Nervously, she took her groceries and left. Fortunately, the security cameras were broken today.

Wolfgang Ludendorff Memorial Hospital – 2:30 AM

Daniel continued to be comatose. His life support beeped regularly, showing his heart rate and blood pressure steadier than before but still not healthy. A crackling noise filled the air, and Daniel’s eyes suddenly shot open. He gasped and looked to his left, seeing several short aliens and a tall human man standing behind the curtain, where a bright light steadily built up. He got up and started pulling out the IV drips and other plugs. He looked out the door and saw the police officer talking on the phone, not aware of anything. Daniel grabbed a fire extinguisher and hit him on the head. Then he grabbed the man’s car keys and ran off, knowing where he needed to go.

As Daniel disappeared down the hallway, he didn’t notice the smoked cigarette lying on the floor behind the curtain, where the aliens were.

Angela’s apartment, Deuteron – 3:00 AM

Angela picked up the phone and dialed Anders’ number.

“Hello, this is Anders Humboldt,” Anders’ answering machine said, “Leave a message please.”

It beeped. Angela walked around with the phone to her ear, staring at the implant.

“Anders, it's me,” Angela said, “I just had something incredibly strange happen. This piece of metal that they took out of Daniel Burkard, it has something like a code on it. I ran it through a scanner and what looked like a serial number came up. This wasn’t in the Normandy implant, and I don’t think I found it in Max’s implant either, but we never tested either, did we? What the hell is this thing? It's almost as if... it's almost as if somebody was using it to catalogue him.”

She heard a bump and some rustling outside. Lightning shone through the window. She walked over and raised the blinds, where she saw Daniel Burkard standing outside, staring at her. She gasped and dropped the phone as Daniel punched through the window and climbed in.

“Come on, lady!” Daniel screamed.

“Pick up the bloody phone, Anders!” she shouted. “Get your butt over here! Anders!”

Daniel punched her. “Shut up!”

Angela fell to the ground and began crawling away, towards her gun. “Anders!” she shouted.

Daniel grabbed her foot and pulled her back towards him. She reached up to the table and smashed a glass with her wrist, slamming it against Daniel’s arm. The man recoiled in pain, but he didn’t let go. Instead, he pulled her back harder, stabbing her leg with the broken glass. As she screamed in pain, he picked up the gun and fired twice, shattering the phone. He then aimed at Angela.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “They told Daniel Burkard to do it.”

He fired again.

Well there goes Angela, and I thought she would´ve become chancellor after what Anne suggested back when she met Erich in Siam, or at least appear in the 21st century. That plot armor didn´t help Angela in this case did it.:eek: Well at least we have still have another Angela (Merkel) here so I think we´ll be good.:D

Edit: Is the smoking man and the other consiportors actually working with the aliens and keeping each other’s secret by collaborating with each other to remove threats?!:eek:

Last edited:
Well there goes Angela, and I thought she would´ve become chancellor after what Anne suggested back when she met Erich in Siam, or at least appear in the 21st century. That plot armor didn´t help Angela in this case did it.:eek: Well at least we have still have another Angela (Merkel) here so I think we´ll be good.:D
I suppose I should mention Merkel's also going to die in the next update at the hands of the conspiracy. But at least we get Chancellor Martin Schulz.:D
Edit: Is the smoking man and the other consiportors actually working with the aliens and keeping each other’s secret by collaborating with each other to remove threats?!:eek:
Well, it wouldn't be a conspiracy if people are running around spilling their secrets. They just want to keep their jobs.:p

I suppose I should mention Merkel's also going to die in the next update at the hands of the conspiracy. But at least we get Chancellor Martin Schulz.:D
And then he gets too assassinated week after becoming Chancellor!:p And then the conspiracy would have to deal with Anders, Eric and, whiile they were at it, Anne Frank after that!:eek:

And then he gets too assassinated week after becoming Chancellor!:p And then the conspiracy would have to deal with Anders, Eric and, whiile they were at it, Anne Frank after that!:eek:
Plot twist, he was actually assassinated by Anders, because Martin is part of the conspiracy!:eek:

Plot twist, he was actually assassinated by Anders, because Martin is part of the conspiracy!:eek:
And then the conspiracy becomes so complex and so many get assassinated that we’d probably end up with the Reich’s equlievent of the Soviet Great Purges and the Reich would probably lose the next weltkreig if the conspiracies get that bad! Maybe that’s what Molotov meant when he predicted the Reich’s downfall back in Belavezha, doomed by internal fighting, bloody wars, conspiracies and corruption (and probably civil wars) like the First Roman Empire or even the CSSR!:eek:

And then the conspiracy becomes so complex and so many get assassinated that we’d probably end up with the Reich’s equlievent of the Soviet Great Purges and the Reich would probably lose the next weltkreig if the conspiracies get that bad! Maybe that’s what Molotov meant when he predicted the Reich’s downfall back in Belavezha, doomed by internal fighting, bloody wars, conspiracies and corruption (and probably civil wars) like the First Roman Empire or even the CSSR!:eek:
Plot twist, everybody is part of the conspiracy. Including Anders himself.:eek:

Plot twist, everybody is part of the conspiracy. Including Anders himself.:eek:
I think the entire conspiracy... is part of an even bigger conspiracy (that the aliens and angels are involved in)!:eek:

Also are there memes about Gandhi, Angelos or Valentine “doing nothing wrong”?:p

I’m also going to estimate the bloodshed of the Thriteenth Century Crises to be around 100 million casualties due to the brutality of the Mongols and Mexica in China and the Eimericas for the most part.

Last edited:
I think the entire conspiracy... is part of an even bigger conspiracy (that the aliens and angels are involved in)!:eek:
The real plot twist is that God is the leader of the conspiracy. But what is he conspiring against?:eek:
Also are there memes about Gandhi, Angelos or Valentine “doing nothing wrong”?
Unfortunately, those memes would only be circulated by neo-fascists and neo-equalists in their forums. The extent of their crimes is better documented than in real life, especially Valentin's.
I’m also going to estimate the bloodshed of the Thriteenth Century Crises to be around 100 million casualties due to the brutality of the Mongols and Mexica in China and the Eimericas for the most part.
I'd say 100 million is a bit much, considering the world population was much lower back then. Maybe 20 million is a better estimate.

I don't buy Angela being dead. Could have been shot somewhere that wouldn't kill.

I'd say 100 million is a bit much, considering the world population was much lower back then. Maybe 20 million is a better estimate.
Well several sources in OTL estimate the casualties of the mongol invasion (dis counting the Black Death that did lead to massive population decline and occurred during the mongol period) to be higher than than, usually 40 million. Plus I picture the Aztecs being very brutal in their campaigns in Europe and the Eimericas due to human sacrifices and the Mexica using similar tactics to the mongols. But I should probably scale back my estimate of the Thriteenth Century Crises to 60 million to account for both the Mongols and Mexica empires since I actually think it would be higher than 20 to 40 million based on the casualties of the mongol invasions in our timeline in addition to the Mexica.
Unfortunately, those memes would only be circulated by neo-fascists and neo-equalists in their forums. The extent of their crimes is better documented than in real life, especially Valentin's.
I assume that the Holodomor is recognizinzed as a genocide unlike OTL universally. I also think there is no Holocaust denying due to Gandhi confessing to it and thus they are no Neo Rasas. Through something tells me that the Neo Angeloi would try denying or toning down the Angeloi’s involvement in the Holocaust rather than deny its existence since Angelos killed himself before he could be tried for his actions.

The Return of Daniel Burkard, Part 1

Angela’s apartment, Deuteron, Constantinople – October 8, 1994, 7:28 AM

Anders pulled up to Angela’s apartment and got out. Police were everywhere already. The complex was surrounded with yellow tape, and the other tenants stood on the lawn, asking each other if they saw anything. Anders showed his badge to a policeman, who let him through. He went up the front stairs and looked at the broken window. He saw blood on the wall on the inside and his own reflection in the glass. He didn’t pick up the phone last night. If he had just woken up and answered the phone, he might have gotten Angela help sooner. But he didn’t until about an hour later. And now all that was left was this empty room.

Shaking the unwanted thoughts out of his head, he walked in. More officers and forensics analysts milled around the apartment, taking pictures, collecting blood samples, putting items in evidence bags, and dusting for fingerprints. He walked over to the glass table in the middle of the room, finding part of it cracked and bloodstained. Another analyst took a picture of Angela’s destroyed phone on the floor, while another snapped a photo of her Walkman and audio tapes, lying on another table. Not wanting to be here any longer, he made his way to the door. Aunt Magda Sharon Hansen (neé Humboldt) and Demetrios Papadopoulos were there, arguing with a stubborn police officer.

“I'm sorry, ma'am, sir,” the officer said, “But you can't disturb a crime scene.”

“But this is my daughter's apartment,” Magda said, “Let me go, I have to get through. I have to get in!”

“She’s my girlfriend too!” Demetrios insisted. “What’s wrong with you guys?!”

Anders approached them.

“Aunt Magda?” he said. “Demetrios?”

He put his hand on her shoulder, but he noticed her staring at the blood on it. He looked at the blood on his jacket for the first time. He took a deep breath.

“She's not in there,” he said.

“Where is she?” Magda demanded.

“Is that my jacket?” Demetrios said.

Anders didn’t respond.

“Where is she?!” Magda said.

“Is that my jacket?!” Demetrios repeated.

7:45 AM

Outside the house, reporters and cameramen filed onto the front lawn, throwing questions at the policemen and forensics teams shuffling around. Anders sat down on the street curb next to a sobbing Magda. Demetrios stood next to his car, staring at a picture in his wallet.

“I knew it would happen this way,” Magda said, “I had this dream about Angie being taken away from us. I, uh... I was going to call her but I was afraid I was going to scare her.”

Magda sighed. “She would have laughed at me anyway. She doesn't believe in that kind of thing, you know. She’s like her dad in that way.”

“Don’t worry, Auntie,” Anders said, “I’m sure she’s okay. I’m working on a way to find her.”

“Find her?!” Demetrios said, approaching Anders. “You’re the one who got her into this mess!”

Anders stood up. “Excuse me?”

Demetrios shoved him. “If it wasn’t for your stupid UFO hunting goose chase, she wouldn’t have been abducted by some madman last night!”

“It wasn’t my fault that madman escaped the hospital and found his way here!” Anders said, raising his voice. “Would it have changed things if he was at St. Eudokimos with you guys?”

“But why did he target Angela?” Demetrios said, his tone agitated. “Why?! How did he know where Angela lived? Why did he go after her?!”

Anders didn’t know how to respond. One part of him wanted to say it was classified, while the other simply didn’t know the answer. Demetrios, fed up with Anders, shoved him again. Anders promptly punched him in the face. A gasp went up from some of the reporters, including the one from Die Zeiten. Demetrios rubbed his cheek and massaged his jaw.

“Anders!” Magda shouted. “Stop it!”

“You punch hard,” he said, grinning, “Who taught you? Your mad father?”

“You do not mention Walter’s name now,” Anders gritted, “Not after what happened!”

“Frak you, this is a free country!” Demetrios said. “I can say what I want! You can hide it as much as you want, but that isn’t going to change things! Admit it or not, Angela’s gone because of you!”

He stormed off towards his car. Anders took off his bloodstained jacket.

“Hey, you forgot your jacket,” he said.

As Demetrios got into his car and drove away, he flipped Anders off.

Erich’s office, Omar Mukhtar Building – 8:03 AM

Erich and Pavel sat in front of Erich’s desk as the Assistant Director looked through the case reports from both Pressburg and Deuteron District. The expression of the normally stoic man alternated between fear, sorrow, and rage every several seconds, and Anders shifted in his seat, not knowing how to respond to what Erich might say. The smoking man sat near the window, smoking as usual. Director Schulz sat next to Erich, looking over the same files.

Erich finally looked up and locked eyes with Anders. “According to the reports I reviewed, Agent Hansen’s research states that Daniel Burkard's propensity for violent, deviant behavior is due to brain damage from a bullet wound in the head. Is this the operational opinion?”

Anders hesitated. He didn’t know how to respond. His uncle was fiercely protective of Angela, especially after Vienna, and the easiest way to set him off was to do something to Angela. And Anders did not want to set Uncle Erich off, because then he would be so screwed.

“Yes, sir,” Pavel filled in for him.

“Is there another?” Schulz asked.

“He's convinced he's going to be abducted by aliens,” Pavel said, “That by taking someone to the abduction site back in Bohemia, he won't be abducted himself.”

“That he's following orders from alien voices in his head,” Schulz said.

Pavel nodded.

“Well, that's an interesting spin on the Vijayangara defense,” Erich said, “Which explanation do you subscribe to, Anders?”

“There's a question of how he could've gotten to her in the first place,” Anders said.

“And you think these alien voices told her?” Schulz asked.

“Agent Hansen was carrying a small piece of metal that was removed from Burkard’s abdomen,” Anders said, “An implant he described as a tracking device.”

“Agent Hansen thought that you had made a major miscalculation in Burkard’s psychosis,” the smoking man said, “Is that true?”

“Yes, but that still doesn't explain how he could have found her,” Anders said.

Pavel glanced over at the smoking man.

“Where would he be taking her?” Erich asked.

“I don't know,” Anders said, “He talked about a mountain where he was first abducted, but he wasn't specific about the location.”

“Well, however he got to her and whatever his motives, he took Agent Hansen's car and weapon,” Erich said, “I think we all understand the seriousness of this matter and should proceed ahead quickly with all possible resources. I need you to turn over your files to human resources…”

“I'd like to brief them myself...” Anders said.

“Go home, Anders, you've been up all night,” Schulz said, “Get some sleep.”

Anders stood up.

“Director, I know Daniel Burkard,” Anders said, “I've been in his head, I know how he thinks...”

“You're too close to this case,” Erich said, “She’s your cousin. If we can use you, we will.”

“She’s your daughter, Uncle Erich!” Anders said.

“That's an order, Agent Humboldt,” Erich said, “You heard Director Schulz.”

He looked at Pavel. “Make sure he gets home safely.”

Anders and Pavel walked out.

Outside Nysos, Morava – 11:23 A.M.

Daniel Burkard sped down the mostly abandoned Autobahn in Angela’s car. The radio played "Hongyoushou" by Cai Dongxue and the Huaizhongzi at the maximum volume. He made a very sharp left down a bridge and sped off. However, a police car pulled out of a side road and followed him, sirens blaring and lights flashing. Reluctantly, Daniel pulled over and rolled down his window. The patrolman adjusted his dashcam and walked over to the car, his hand on his gun in its holster. He looked at Daniel.

“Sir?” he asked. “Can you turn off your radio?”

“I would, officer, but I got to keep going,” Daniel said.

“An Athanatoi APB has been issued for a suspect in the abduction of an Athanatos...” a man reported over the police car’s APB.

“Sir, I asked if you mind turning that off,” the patrolman repeated.

Daniel reluctantly turned it off.

“Okay,” he said, “But could you just give me the ticket now so I can go? I got to be someplace.”

“Where?” the patrolman asked.

“I'm not sure but...they'll tell me when I get there,” Daniel said.

The patrolman looked at Daniel’s hands, seeing his knuckles were bloody and that his hospital ID band had blood on it too. He drew his gun and aimed at Daniel.

“Sir, put your hands on the steering wheel where I can see them!” he ordered.

“You don't understand,” Daniel said, “They're waiting for me, I, I can't be late.”

“Put your hands up and exit the vehicle!” the patrolman demanded.

“No, I got to keep moving,” Daniel said, “Please? For your own sake? Don't stop Daniel Burkard.”

“Sir, put your hands up!” the patrolman repeated.

Angela, regaining consciousness, banged on the trunk hood.

“HEY!” she shouted. “GET ME OUT OF HERE! OR I’M GOING TO HAVE ANOTHER CADAVER TO ELECTROCUTE WHEN I GET BACK TO THE ACADEMY!”

The patrolman turned around and started walking to the trunk. Daniel pulled out Angela’s gun and calmly shot the patrolman in the head. He then got out, took the patrolman’s gun and ammunition, and opened the trunk, where Angela lay bound. An impromptu tourniquet had been tied around her bloodied midsection. He raised his gun and shot her in the leg, and she screamed in agony. Daniel coldly took the patrolman’s handcuffs and cuffed her left arm to her right leg and then tore off part of the patrolman’s uniform to gag her.

Leza Atsumi’s office, Video Production Unit, Omar Mukhtar Building, Constantinople – 3:11 PM

Anders pointed to the monitor, where footage from the patrolman’s dashcam showed Daniel looking into the trunk with the patrolman dead on the ground.

“Right there,” he said, “Back it up a few frames. Can you magnify this area?”

“This isn’t Law & Order,” Leza Atsumi said, “I can’t just enhance an image.”

“Well, just zoom in then!” Anders said.

Leza magnified the image several times until there was a somewhat blurry head shot of Angela with the gag in her mouth. It wasn’t crystal clear, but it would do.

“Mein Gott…” Leza said. “Has Law & Order lied to us this entire time?!”

“She's still alive,” Anders said, “Print this up and get it out.”

X-Division office – 4:08 PM

Anders sat at his desk, listening to a tape recording of yesterday’s hostage situation in Pressburg on Angela’s Walkman, which was partly covered in dried blood. He looked at the photo of Angela in the trunk.

“I just want to go back to the place,” Daniel’s voice said on the Walkman.

“What place?” Anders’ voice said.

“Where it first started,” Daniel’s voice said, “Where they first came and got me.”

“Where is that?” Anders’ voice said.

“A mountain,” Daniel’s voice said, “We went, uh, up... and up. Ascending... ascending to the stars.”

Anders rewound the tape. “Ascending... ascending to the stars.”

Pavel walked over, carrying two Starmarks coffees.

“Want one?” he asked.

“Sure,” Anders said, taking one, “Thanks.”

“Yeah,” Pavel said, “How'd you sleep?”

“Slept as I normally did,” Anders said, “Didn’t hear about it till I woke up. Now I feel a bit guilty about it.”

He rewound the tape. “You're not taking Daniel Burkard again.”

And again. “A mountain. We went, uh, up... and up. Ascending... ascending to the stars.”

Again. “Ascending to the stars.”

“What is it?” Pavel asked.

Anders paused the Walkman. “Where was that patrolman killed again?”

“Outside Nysos, Morava,” Pavel said, “Autobahn Route 229.”

“Doesn't Route 229 lead to the Blue Danube Parkway?” Anders asked. “Up where Illyria becomes Austria?”

“I don't know,” Pavel said.

Anders walked to his bookshelf and picked out one of his many phone books.

“What?” Pavel asked.

Anders finally landed on the page he wanted. He pointed to an ad that read:

Ascend to the Stars!

LUFTBERG

[REDACTED]-7684

Spectacular views and a full service grill!

Gondola rides to the peak every ten minutes!

Anders tore the page out. “Ascend to the stars. Luftberg.”

“You know where he's going?” Pavel asked.

“Get your car and meet me downstairs,” Anders said.

“Where are we going?” Pavel asked.

“Just get your car,” Anders said, “I’m booking a charter Kongruenz to Temeschberg.”

“What about Hansen and Schulz?” Pavel asked.

“I'll deal with Uncle Erich,” Anders said, leaving his office, “Schulz will understand.”

Pavel took out his phone and dialed a number.

“He thinks Hansen's been taken up to Luftberg Mountain in the Carpathians,” he said, “I'll hold him off until they locate her.”

He hung up as Anders returned.

“Come on, let's go,” he said.

They went to the parking lot and got in Pavel’s car. Pavel got in the driver’s seat and drove off. As they turned out of the parking lot, they passed a parked car, where the smoking man sat in the driver’s seat. He tossed out his cigarette and drove after them.

Route 211, Outside Temeschberg, Banat – 5:43 PM

Anders and Pavel sped down the road. This time, Anders was in the drivers’ seat. His eyes, however, did not want him to drive and started closing. He struggled to keep them open, but he fell asleep. Pavel heard a honking and saw a truck speeding towards them. He pushed Anders, who woke up and swerved out of the way. Pavel sighed.

“You're dozing off,” he said, “Maybe I should drive.”

“I'm fine,” Anders said, “I got enough sleep last night.”

“You sure?” Pavel asked. “I know sleep deprivation when I see it. You know, Exxon Vijaya, Kyshtym, Flight 19, even the stealing of the Angeloi nukes... they were all linked to sleep deprivation. The Bureau of Transportation estimates that over 190,000 fatal car crashes every year are linked to sleep deprivation.”

“Did they estimate how many people are put to sleep listening to their statistics?” Anders said.

“I'm just trying to keep you awake,” Pavel said.

“Look, I know you think we should have told Uncle Erich, but if he sends in the whole cavalry, Burkard might go over the edge,” Anders said.

“You're right,” Pavel said.

“If we find him first, we'll notify the Athanatoi, alright?” Anders said.

“Sure,” Pavel said, “You really think he tracked her down with that implant?”

“Well, that's the easiest explanation,” Anders said, “It's also the most implausible.”

“Is there another possibility?” Pavel asked.

“Somebody could have given him her address,” Anders said, “I don't know who.”

Pavel looked ahead and pointed to a sign that read "Ascend to the Stars, Luftberg Mountain."

Luftberg Mountain, Banat – 6:54 PM

Anders and Pavel walked with the tram operator, who looked at a mug shot of Daniel Burkard.

“Have you seen this guy?” Pavel asked.

“Yeah, he was here,” the operator said.

“He's wanted for kidnapping an imperial agent,” Pavel said, “Did you let him go up in the tram?”

“No way, it's been shut down since early summer,” the operator said, “I told him to take the back road up.”

“How long ago?” Pavel asked.

“About forty-five minutes,” the operator said.

“Did he have a woman with him?” Anders asked.

The operator shook his head.

“How long does it take to drive to the top?” Pavel asked.

“Little over an hour,” the operator said.

“You have to get me up there,” Anders said, pointing to the gondola.

“No, no way,” the operator said, “We just got done refitting the cable. It hasn't been tested with passengers yet. You'll have to drive.”

“I don't have the time,” Anders said.

“You don't have a choice,” the operator said.

Anders drew his gun. “No, you don't have a choice.”

Five minutes later, the operator stood in his control booth, where he turned a key to start up the main engines. He then flipped a switch, while Anders got in the gondola and bolted the door.

“Okay, I can't stop you from going up there, but if there's a problem with the cable, I'm shutting this down,” the operator said, “I'm not going to be responsible for your death, even if you do act like an equalist.”

“What are you doing?” Pavel asked.

“Stay here and whatever happens, don't let him stop the tram,” Anders said.

“Okay, you hit your ‘run’ and ‘up’ button on the panel,” the operator explained, “Speed indicator controls your ascent. Now when you want to slow down—”

Anders immediately hit both buttons, and the gondola lurched away from the station.

“Don't crank it faster than fifteen!” the operator yelled.

Anders moved the indicator from “slow” to “fast,” and the speedometer shot up from fifteen to twenty and then twenty-five. The operator cursed.

“What the hell's he doing?” he said. “I told him not to go that fast.”

He picked up the intercom transmitter. “Base to car one, pick up. Pick up, you idiot!”

Behind Anders, the noise from the machinery grew louder. His radio buzzed.

“Do you hear that sound?” the operator said. “At this speed, the cable can't hold.”

The speedometer now read 30, and Anders couldn’t hear the operator at all. He adjusted the frequency to improve the signal.

“Go ahead,” he said.

“Slow down, you suicidal idiot!” the operator shouted.

“WHAT?!” Anders said.

“Slow down or the cables'll jump when you hit that tower!” the operator said.

Anders looked and saw a tower approaching. He slowed down to 25, and the gondola passed the tower without incident.

“Slow it down for the next tower,” the operator said.

Anders slowed down to 15 as he passed the next tower.

“How close is he?” Pavel asked.

“Should be up top in a minute,” the operator said.

Pavel drew his gun and pistol-whipped the operator in the face, knocking it out. He sighed and fixed his hair. Then he turned off the machinery. The gondola rocked back and forth in position.

“What are you doing?” Anders said on the transmitter. “Turn it back on. Novak, what's happening down there?”

Meanwhile, Pavel took out his cell phone, raised the antenna, and started dialing.

“Novak, do you read me?” Anders said. “Tell the operator to restart the tram. Hello?”

“I've got him stalled up there,” Pavel said, “I'll hold until you advise.”

“Is there an emergency system on-board?” Anders said. “Can you read me down there? Can anyone read me?”

Anders put down the transmitter and went to a small compartment. He took off the lid and threw away a tag that said “screamer suit.” He pulled out a harness and threw it out. Then he pulled down a ladder and climbed on top of the gondola.

In the base station, Pavel stared at the monitor and then turned the key, restarting the engine. The gondola restarted, nearly throwing Anders off the tram. He grabbed onto the side of the roof and pulled himself up, narrowly avoiding the next tower. Finally, the gondola reached the peak and halted. Anders ran up the hill and found Angela’s car abandoned. The driver’s side door was left open. The radio was still on. There was blood on the steering wheel. He popped open the trunk and found it empty as well, except for a bloody rope and Angela’s trench coat, the one Hans gave her. A bright white light flashed behind him, and he looked up and saw a dark object speeding off into the night, followed by Daniel’s laughing. Anders found Daniel standing a few feet away, holding his hands up in the air in triumph. Anders drew his gun and aimed at him.

“Imperial agent!” Anders shouted. “Freeze!”

“YES!” Daniel shouted skywards. “YES, YES, YES!”

“Where is my cousin?!” Anders shouted.

“I'm free at last, you motherfrakking sons of dogs!” Daniel shouted. “You can't touch Daniel Burkard anymore! Free at last, thank God Almighty, I’m free at last!”

Anders handcuffed Daniel. “Don’t move!”

“I'm not going anywhere!” Daniel said.

“Where is Angie?” Anders demanded. “Where'd you leave her?”

“They took her,” Daniel said.

“Who?” Anders said.

Daniel pointed at the sky. “Them! I told you they would take somebody else. They did! Too bad it wasn’t Herman!”

A helicopter flew overhead, its searchlight locking on them.

I don't buy Angela being dead. Could have been shot somewhere that wouldn't kill.
Happy now?:p
Well several sources in OTL estimate the casualties of the mongol invasion (dis counting the Black Death that did lead to massive population decline and occurred during the mongol period) to be higher than than, usually 40 million. Plus I picture the Aztecs being very brutal in their campaigns in Europe and the Eimericas due to human sacrifices and the Mexica using similar tactics to the mongols. But I should probably scale back my estimate of the Thriteenth Century Crises to 60 million to account for both the Mongols and Mexica empires since I actually think it would be higher than 20 to 40 million based on the casualties of the mongol invasions in our timeline in addition to the Mexica.
Okay, thanks for pointing that out. An estimate of 60-70 million does make sense.
I assume that the Holodomor is recognizinzed as a genocide unlike OTL and there is no Holocaust denying due to Gandhi confessing to it and thus they are no Neo Rasas. Through something tells me that the Neo Angeloi would try denying or toning down the Angeloi’s involvement in the Holocaust rather than deny its existence since Angelos killed himself before he could be tried for his actions.
Um, the Holocaust technically is recognized as a genocide in real life? But let's not get into real life politics. It would be universally recognized as a genocide here, unlike in certain parts of the world in real life. Holocaust denial isn't as widespread because "Gandhi" confessed to doing it. Neo-Angeloi groups, though, might try denying or playing down the Angeloi's involvement in it (possibly also wanting a law banning the use of the phrase "Angeloi death camps" to absolve the Angeloi of responsibility in "Rasa war crimes).

Um, the Holocaust technically is recognized as a genocide in real life? But let's not get into real life politics. It would be universally recognized as a genocide here, unlike in certain parts of the world in real life. Holocaust denial isn't as widespread because "Gandhi" confessed to doing it. Neo-Angeloi groups, though, might try denying or playing down the Angeloi's involvement in it (possibly also wanting a law banning the use of the phrase "Angeloi death camps" to absolve the Angeloi of responsibility in "Rasa war crimes).
I wasn’t saying the Holocaust wasn’t recognized as genocide in real life, I was first talking about the Holodomor (the term used for the man made famine that killed Ukrainians In the Soviet Union in the 1930s) which is different from the Holocaust. But I’m not going to go more into it now since I think now since now since it’s controversial and we should probably move on from it. I assume it would be a famine against the mongols in Yavadi if it did still exist here.:eek:

Last edited:
I wasn’t saying the Holocaust wasn’t recognized as genocide in real life, I was first talking about the Holodomor (the term used for the man made famine that killed Ukrainians In the Soviet Union in the 1930s) which is different from the Holocaust. But I’m not going to go more into it now since I think now since now since it’s controversial and we should probably move on from it. I assume it would be a famine against the mongols in Yavadi if it did still exist here.:eek:
Oh whoops, I misread that. The Holodomor would indeed be recognized as a genocide because it would also include the other minorities purged or resettled (Lithuanians, Mongols, Germans, etc.) by Molotov throughout the war.

I swear you must spend all your free time writing these updates at the rate you pump them out. It's hard enough just keeping up when all I have to do is read them. :p

I swear you must spend all your free time writing these updates at the rate you pump them out. It's hard enough just keeping up when all I have to do is read them. :p
I wrote most of these in advance, which gives me time to post them when I want. But I've got some stuff coming up next week, so I may not post as often. Then again, I might just keep the schedule of one per day.:D

I made the file province_mapping.txt to transfer the save from HOI4 to NWO. So, what is next? What to do with him? Anyone who understands the mapping can tell me what to do with this file?

Attachments

• province_mappings.txt
    722 KB · Views: 25
I'm getting so antsy, I REALLY want to see the BTEC SCP Foundation get buggered by Anders
Well, he is RSB. Their arrogance is legendary, as Anders would tell you.:p
Did you ever hear the Tragedy of The RSB?
Well the Reich has managed to keep such things as Angels a secret for CENTURIES so I´m pretty sure they can TOTALLY handle this.:p
Yeah, but that was before Tv, cameras, and also the angels aren't even around. The Soviets Nuke'd em back in '45.
The more I read, the more convinced I become that this shadow organization is really incompetent.
The SCP Foundation is disgusted. At least THEY actually know how to contain threats!
With all the references to the Inquisition I’m really wondering when they would make a come back and save the Reich again.
I bet the Reich

Wouldn’t

Expect that.:p
Surprise mother****ers
“Chen Shuibian, the leader of the Fuxingyundong and the next Chancellor of China? He’s being put into power by the most heinous and evil force of the 20th century.”

“Barney the dinosaur?” Anders joked.
:eek: No!

main-qimg-0e442e0f219ba1198e551db2f8a3ea97-c
So Civilised!