The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So is this an archived chapter or a mistake in typing?
What do you mean? If I wasn’t clear enough, the next chapter (455) will be posted when the story reaches the in-game year 2018.

Being Strong

Tel Aviv - September 30, 2016, 3:00 PM

“‘Today, we find ourselves at a crossroads’,” Elias wrote down, “‘We've lost our way. Our values and our sense of purpose. Today, we confront a crisis’.”

“No, Elias, you can’t change my script at the last minute,” Gertrude said.

“Well, it’s stronger,” Elias said, “But watch your tone. Don't scold or lecture.”

“I know that better than anyone,” Gertrude said.

“And remember,” Elias said, “Don’t confuse meekness with weakness.”

“Of course,” Gertrude said, “All I have to do is start a dialogue.”

“This is what we wanted, right?” Elias said, putting an arm around Gertrude’s shoulder. “Our policies and ideas discussed in the mainstream.”

The Anhorns’ car approached the campus of IU Tel Aviv. Traffic was slower than usual, probably due to the large crowds of protesters crammed on the sidewalks, angrily waving signs with all manner of profanities and insults aimed at Elias and Gertrude. As usual, Elias paid them no attention. Gertrude answered a call from a reporter friend of theirs and put it on loudspeaker.

“Hi, Bysandros, this is a mess,” Gertrude said, “I’ve never seen so many riled up like this.”

“Herr Malecares, don’t bother,” Elias said, “I did several tours in Mexico and lost my eye there. These kids don’t know how to support a cause. They’re all talk and no action. Bleeding hearts. You should be worried about the other reporters who will no doubt paint them as heroes. Especially that Novak woman. ”

“I know, I know,” Bysandros said, “I’m disappointed at what my profession has become.”

“I think Schmitz is doing well,” Gertrude said, “They’re more fair than the others. Not tainted by corporate money like RBS and the others. At least you guys tell our side of the story.”

“Especially after my rant,” Elias said, “Thank you for bailing me out, Bysandros.”

“You’re welcome, Elias,” Bysandros said, “I’ll meet you at the venue.”

“Sure thing,” Elias said, “See you there.”

He hung up.

“Ready for the speech?” he asked.

“As always,” Gertrude said, “No protesters are going to stop me.”

“Tel Aviv,” Elias said, looking at the skyline passing behind the picket lines,

“Never thought we’d make it here. Into the belly of the beast itself.”

“This should show the party cartel we mean business,” Gertrude said.

“I think they already know that by the number of kids they’ve sent,” Elias said.

They pulled up outside the lecture hall, where police officers had parted the endless crowds of angry students to form a path for them. Elias and Gertrude got out and walked down the path, ignoring the insults and slogans hurled at them. He hadn’t seen protests this big in a long time, and never during their tour. It was still only a minor nuisance. Gertrude would yet say what she was supposed to say here.

They met Bysandros Malecares, a bespectacled reporter wearing a Schmitz jacket, at the entrance to the venue. He smiled with relief and ran over to them.

“Thank goodness!” he said. “They were starting to get on my nerves.”

“That’s what they want, Bysandros,” Elias said, “They want you to lash out again and make us look bad. But instead, they only make themselves look entitled and sheltered.”

“Alright, Elias, you made yourself clear last month,” Bysandros said, “Now let’s get going before they get any ideas.”

“Right,” Elias said.

They walked inside, but the protests didn’t relent. Inside, almost all of the seats were taken up by more protesters, each brandishing their signs in their faces. The cacophony intensified as Elias and Gertrude approached the stage. The police officers in attendance struggled to calm down the crowds. Gertrude looked at Elias nervously.

“You may not agree with what she has to say,” the host told the audience, “But that's what's great about our country, the freedom to express your own opinion. She is here as a guest, so please, let’s welcome Gertrude Anhorn.”

The crowd continued jeering.

“Stay focused,” Elias said, “Stay calm.”

“FRAK YOU!” a woman shouted.

She blared an air horn just two feet away from Gertrude’s face, causing Gertrude to recoil and cover her ears in pain.

“Get the frak out of here!” a man shouted.

“We don’t want you in our school!” another student said.

He hurled a water bottle at Gertrude, which she barely dodged.

“We don't believe in anything you do!”

“You and your stupid fascism!”

“Frak you, zealot!”

“Ignore them,” Elias said.

“I’m trying,” Gertrude said.

“Quiet!” a supporter said. “Let her talk! I’m not a fan of what she says, but silencing her isn’t going to help!”

The crowd didn’t listen, though.

“Angeloi scum! Get out of here, Angeloi!”

“Quiet! Let her speak!”

“Sit down, you stupid little b***h!”

“We didn’t invite you, you frakking fanatic!”

“YEAH, TELL HER ANGELOI BUTT!”

“She has a right to speak!”

“This is the Reich!”

Air horns continued blaring.

“We should go,” Bysandros said.

“We’re not going,” Elias said, "I've been through way worse."

“Yes, we’re not going,” Gertrude said.

“Stand back!” the police shouted. “Stand back, please! Back up, all of you!”

“WE WON’T BE SILENT!” Elias said. “SHUT THE FRAK UP, BECAUSE WE AREN’T GOING TO BE CENSORED!”

“You want me to stay silent, but that is not gonna to change what is happening in our country!” Gertrude said. “I’m going to tell it like it is. You’re all spoiled, privileged brats!”

The crowd noticeably quieted down, and Elias heard some whoops from their supporters.

“You live in an academic bubble, all of you!” Gertrude said. “The climate crisis is the greatest emergency we’ve ever faced, and we are on track to seeing a global warming of three degrees!”

“Yeah, let her speak!” a friendly student shouted. “Let her speak!”

“Let her speak! Let her speak! Let her speak!” other friendly students chanted.

“That is exactly the problem that we need to focus on right now,” Gertrude said, “The future, and the future of mankind, depends on what we do today! What we do now!”

The protesters’ voices diminished further, and the students who were actually there to listen to and support them cheered louder. Elias smiled and patted Gertrude on the back.

“We didn’t back down,” he said, “You’re incredible!”

“Uh, I hate to break it to you, but we’re still in the aisle,” Bysandros said, “We haven’t even reached the podium yet.”

“Oh, yes, of course,” Gertrude said, “Let’s get going.”

They continued towards the stage. Elias checked his phone.

“Wow, Dikastirio’s already blowing up,” he said, “Your little spiel just now is going viral.”

“That’s great!” Gertrude said. “Let’s add more cities to our tour.”

“Good idea,” Elias said, “Got any in mind?”

“I was thinking Beirut, Damascus, Baghdad, and Riyadh to start with,” Gertrude said.

“Pretty bold, aren’t you?” Elias said.

“That’s why you married me, right?” Gertrude teased.

“I have a feeling this will make a great anniversary,” Elias said.

Gertrude laughed. “Me too.”

She reached into her dress’s pocket and took out her notes to review her speech. Bysandros turned around to say something to them, his hands an extension of his words. At that moment, a shot rang out, and the protesters screamed, stampeding cowardly for the exits. Bysandros dived for the seats, his hands over his head. No stranger to gunfire, Elias calmly looked around for the shooter and then at Gertrude, noticing a darkening red splotch around her stomach. She looked down at her wound. A second later, she collapsed, and Elias rushed to her side, his calmness immediately evaporating.

“Gertrude!” he said.

Gertrude gasped and clutched her wound, vomiting over the carpet. Elias looked at the police.

“Get help!” he shouted. “NOW!”

As the police hurried away, Elias took Gertrude’s hand.

“I’m…going…to die…” Gertrude said. “Am I?”

“You’re not going to die,” he said, “Not today. You’ve got so much to live for, my dear. Everything we’ve worked for…it can’t be in vain. Her death can’t be in vain.”

Her death…her death…the memories came rushing back to him, even though he fought hard against it. His wife bleeding out in front of him reminded him of that dark day, fifteen years ago, the last time he felt powerless. No, he wasn’t powerless now. Why was he thinking that? He let go of Gertrude’s hand and clutched his head, trying his hardest not to remember. But he did, and the room fell away, Gertrude’s cries growing more distant. All he could hear was the one sound that still scared him: a certain woman's cough.

Anhorn residence, Constantinople - November 9, 2001

Elias woke up to the sound of the TV blaring, phones ringing, emergency tones beeping, and doors slamming. His two eyes blinked as they adjusted to the bright sunlight coming from the unexpectedly opened windows. He rolled out of bed and walked into the living room, where Ellie hastily fixed her light blue medical scrubs, talking on a telephone, chugging a glass of milk, and downing an energy bar all at once.

“Yes, I’ll be right there,” she said, “Sorry if I’m really late, this caught me off-guard. No, it’s fine, I’d gladly take the time away from my break for something this big.”

She hung up and finished the milk and energy bar.

“What is it?” Elias said.

“Something’s happened downtown,” Ellie said, “Big explosion at the Twin Towers. They need paramedics on the scene.”

He looked at a TV, where he saw live footage of the burning towers.

“Oh, God,” Elias said, “That’s bad. Really bad.”

“I know,” Ellie said, “They need me.”

“Then go,” Elias said, “Save some lives.”

Ellie smiled and laughed. “That’s my job, isn’t it?”

That was the last time Elias remembered his sister smiling.

St. Eudokimos Hospital - February 3, 2002

Dr. Cabrera went over the test results. Elias and his girlfriend Gertrude sat next to Ellie, who coughed painfully again, as she had been doing for the last several weeks. Cabrera shook her head in disbelief and scanned the results again, but her face remained dismayed. She finally turned to Ellie, who coughed profusely.

“I’m afraid the results are all…positive,” she said, “I’m sorry.”

“No,” Ellie said, in between coughs, “No, it can’t be.”

“The results are conclusive,” Cabrera said.

“How?” Ellie said. “Our family has no history of lung cancer.”

“The dust,” Gertrude said, “The dust at Ground Zero. They said it was toxic.”

“That could be a cause,” Cabrera said, “There’s an ongoing government investigation, so I can’t say for sure until it’s done. But right now, we need to focus on treatment.”

“What kind of treatment?” Gertrude said.

“Anything,” Ellie said, “Just get the cancer out of me.”

“We were thinking chemotherapy,” Cabrera said, “We have to catch the disease before it metastasizes and spreads.”

Ellie looked at Elias. “What about you?”

“We already lost Mom, Ellie,” Elias said, taking her hand, “It’s just us. I’m not going to lose you as well.”

Downtown Constantinople - September 30, 2002

Elias adjusted his tuxedo and looked around at his groomsmen anxiously, who lounged casually but kept their guard up, as they had grown up doing. These men had been with him since they were kids in Königsberg, during the war. Most of their parents had been either taken away by the KGB for some offense, like Elias’ father was, or killed during the war, like his mother. They relied on each other for survival in the years afterward. Their brotherhood had held together even as they left Königsberg behind and the organization itself became a relic of their pasts. This was the first time they had all gathered in over ten years, but they all answered his invitation and came to be with him today. He looked at each of them, and they nodded back confidently. You can do this, their eyes told him. He didn’t need the reassurance. It was just a wedding. Gertrude needed him to not have cold feet.

The door opened, and a bridesmaid walked in. Elias stood up and stretched.

“Are we ready yet?” he said impatiently.

“Uh, no…” the bridesmaid said. “There’s been a situation.”

“What situation?” Elias said.

“It’s the maid of honor, I mean, your sister,” the bridesmaid said, “She had an incident while driving here—”

Before she had finished, Elias pushed her aside and ran out of the room, the confused groomsmen asking him to slow down. He took out his phone and dialed Dr. Cabrera.

“Hello?” Cabrera said.

“It’s Elias,” Elias said, “How is she?”

“She’s taken a turn for the worse,” Cabrera said, “Unresponsive to treatment.”

“Outlook?” Elias said.

“Not much time left,” Cabrera said, “I’m sorry, but it was the best—”

Elias hung up and took out his keys.

“Tell Gertrude she’s free to meet me at the hospital if she feels like it,” he said to the bridesmaid, “But it’s fine if she doesn’t.”

He ran outside, got in his car, and drove as fast as he could to the hospital. There, he hastily parked on the curb, red zone be damned, and rushed inside. He pushed patients and doctors aside in his mad dash for the stairs and then the restricted wards, quickly finding Ellie’s room. An orderly held out his hand to stop him.

“Sir, you can’t—” he began.

Elias pushed him aside like the others. “Frak you, she’s my sister!”

He stormed into the room, where Ellie lay on the bed, hooked up to life support. She weakly looked at him and tried smiling, but she could only cough.

“Brother…” she said. “You made…it.”

The door swung open a second time, with the orderly outside protesting again, and Gertrude rushed over to them, her veil torn and dress ruffled. Neither of them cared about superstitions.

“I came over as fast as I could,” she said.

“As did I,” Elias said.

“It’s okay,” Ellie said, “I know I don’t have much time left. That’s...okay.”

“No, Ellie,” Elias said, “Please, we can still try. More treatment—”

“I’m too far gone now,” Ellie said, “It metastasized, remember? No treatment can save me.”

“No, sis, please,” Elias said, taking her hand, “Please don’t leave me. You’re all I have left.”

“I knew this day would come eventually,” Ellie said, “Ever since November 9. But that was a price I was willing to pay every day as a paramedic. You have to be strong, Elias.”

“I’m trying,” Elias said.

“I know,” Ellie said, “You’ve been a good brother, you know?”

“You didn’t leave me a choice,” Elias said.

Ellie tried laughing, but she could only cough again.

“Yeah,” Ellie said, “If only Mom and Dad could’ve seen us now.”

“They wouldn’t have wanted to see you like this,” Elias said.

“But they would’ve been proud of you two,” Gertrude said, “I am.”

“Thanks, Gertrude,” Ellie said, “You’ve always been a good friend. Take care of Elias for me, will you?”

“I will,” Gertrude said.

Ellie’s grip weakened. Her breath grew raspy and intermittent.

“Elias…my brother…” she managed. “Remember…me…”

Her hand went limp, and the monitors flatlined. Ellie no longer breathed. Elias shook his head in disbelief.

“No,” he said, “No, no, no, no!”

He buried his head in the blankets and cried.

“No!” Elias said. “Ellie! Come back!”

Gertrude put her hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Elias.”

“Argh!” Elias said, pounding a monitor. “Why?! Why does this always happen to me?! First Mom and Dad, now Ellie? Why has God cursed me!”

Several nurses walked into the room and surrounded Ellie’s bed, disconnecting her from the monitors and preparing to wheel her out.

“What are you doing?” Elias said.

“She wanted to donate her organs,” a nurse said, “We don’t have much time.”

“You’re serious,” Elias said, “She just died! And you’re here circling like vultures waiting so you can take her organs. My sister had a name! Ellie was a person! Remember that!”

Gertrude restrained Elias before he could punch the nearest nurse.

“Elias, we should go,” she said.

“No!” Elias said, struggling as Gertrude dragging him into the hallway and the orderlies wheeled Ellie away for the last time. “No! Ellie!”

Gertrude forced him to sit.

“Calm down, Elias,” she said, “Look, I’m sorry it had to happen on such short notice, on today of all days. I was surprised too. I’m grieving as much as you do. But we can’t lose hope. It’s not what Ellie would’ve wanted.”

“What do you mean?” Elias said.

“Ellie wouldn’t want you to sulk around and grieve all day,” Gertrude said, “She wouldn’t want her death to have been in vain. She’d want her brother to make her life meaningful.”

“Meaningful…” Elias said. “Meaningful…”

“So stop grieving,” Gertrude said, “Remember what she told you. Remember her. So why don’t you do that? Honor her memory. Be strong for her.”

Elias cried for a few more seconds. Then he looked up and dried the tears from his eyes. It was time to be strong. He had to be strong, on today of all days. For his sister. For Gertrude. For the world. It had taken enough from him. It was time he took his fate back into his own hands. A new resolve dawned over him, and his face hardened with strength and conviction.

“Yes,” Elias said, “Let’s go, Gertrude. Let’s remember Ellie.”

The ceremony was cancelled. It was unnecessary, since they already finished the paperwork a while ago. But when he returned to the venue, he and his groomsmen raised a glass to his sister’s memory and vowed to enlist. They would cross the ocean and kill those who destroyed the towers that day. That was how they would remember her. He would be strong for her.

Tel Aviv - September 30, 2016, 3:15 PM

Elias finally banished the memories and refocused on his surroundings. He looked around and saw paramedics wheeling Gertrude out of the room. Police officers had pinned who appeared to be the suspect to the floor. The student was protesting furiously, as students usually did, but the police were putting a gun, no doubt the weapon of the crime, into an evidence bag, so it was clear they had found and apprehended Gertrude’s shooter.

Relieved, Elias slumped into a nearby chair. Gertrude looked like she would be fine. The assassination attempt on her had failed, and it would most definitely play into his hands, like his rant last month. The students would be seen as an unruly and sensitive mob who liked shouting down people they disagreed with. And now his movement had a martyr, or the closest thing to one without anybody dying. Today was a black day. Fourteen years ago, his sister had died, and just now, Gertrude almost joined her. But Gertrude taught him how to handle it. Just like that dark day, he would emerge from today even stronger. It was what Ellie would’ve wanted. And if anybody stood in his way, he would overcome them. No, he would destroy them. He would be strong for Ellie.

Die Zeiten offices, Constantinople - October 1, 2016, 10:00 AM

Theresa and Anders looked over the security footage.

“Mind telling me what we’re looking for?” Theresa said.

“For the last time, it’s obvious the student wasn’t working alone,” Anders said.

“There’s nothing proving it,” Theresa said.

“The cameras should tell us,” Anders said, “Let’s see…”

He slowed down the playback just as Gertrude was shot and then rewound a little.

“There,” he said, pointing at Bysandros Malecares, “Look.”

Bysandros was standing near to the gunman, who wasn’t paying him any attention. The student fired at Gertrude. As she collapsed and the crowd screamed, Elias glanced at Bysandros and then rushed to Gertrude’s side. Bysandros and the student disappeared in the chaos. A minute later, when the police and paramedics arrived, Bysandros reappeared at the edge of the auditorium, having pinned the student to the ground and disarmed him.

“Just as I thought,” Anders said, “Elias and Bysandros were in on the plot. Bysandros forced a student to shoot Gertrude and then had him take the fall, all to rile people up and change public opinion in Elias’ favor.”

“Anders, you're making a mountain out of a molehill,” Theresa said, “There’s nothing definitively showing Bysandros made the boy shoot Gertrude, or that Elias was in on it. There’s no reason for Elias to shoot his own wife.”

“No, there has to be something here,” Anders said, rewinding the footage again.

“I’m seeing exactly the same thing you’re seeing,” Theresa said, “And I’m telling you, we can’t use this footage. There’s no smoking gun. You’re just grasping at straws.”

“But there is,” Anders said.

“No there—okay, fine, literally there is one,” Theresa said, “But there’s nothing we can use to prove Bysandros and Elias did it. Why would Elias shoot his wife, given his own history?”

“Bysandros is suspicious,” Anders said, “You saw how he acted.”

“So what?” Theresa said. “You act suspicious all the time. I’m surprised you haven’t been thrown in prison already.”

“Actually, I have,” Anders said, “Multiple times, I think.”

“Point is, you can’t just accuse him like this,” Theresa said, “We have to let it slide.”

“You’re serious,” Anders said.

“I’m sorry, Anders,” Theresa said, “But that’s how things work. We can’t win everything. Didn’t you say you learned that from your grandfather?”

Anders checked his phone. “Yeah, we can’t win this one.”

“Exactly,” Theresa said, “Now let’s—”

“No, check the news,” Anders said.

He showed her his phone. A news video had just been uploaded.

“The country is coming together to express its support for Gertrude and Elias Anhorn,” the reporter said, “Flowers have been left outside their home in Berlin and the hospital at which Gertrude is receiving treatment for her wounds. The websites for both the Shepherds’ Brotherhood and Christenheit Bewegung have seen a massive surge in donations. Candlelit vigils have been scheduled later today in several cities to pray for Gertrude’s health. It is clear this unnecessary violence has increased the backlash against mainstream parties and elevated the Anhorns to more than just mere activists.”

Tel Aviv - October 2

Elias looked over the script and made more edits to it, while Gertrude leaned over from her hospital bed.

“Elias, stop fussing,” Gertrude said, “It sounds great already.”

“Try it out,” Elias said.

“Alright, uh,” Gertrude said, “‘We will not allow a fanatic…’”

“Try ‘terrorist’,” Elias said, “He’s a terrorist.”

“Okay,” Gertrude said, “Here goes. ‘We will not allow a terrorist to silence us. Just like Anders Humboldt and Theresa Novak did not let Sentinel silence them. They too understood the truth can be hard to hear. But only the truth can save the Reich now’.”

“Great,” Elias said, “I think that’s good.”

“And I thought we could segue into justice being served,” Gertrude said.

“That’s if they charge him,” Elias said.

“They will,” Gertrude said, “Put your faith in God.”

“I have faith in God, but I don’t have faith in the cops,” Elias said.

Gertrude groaned in pain.

“You know, Gertrude, I never should have let you start speaking in public,” Elias said.

He tried to take her hand, but she pulled it away.

“Stop that,” Gertrude said, “You should stop that and be a man. Stand for what you believe in and sweep aside those who oppose you. Ellie told you to be strong. So do that!”

Elias looked at the floor and then back at Gertrude.

“Yes, I will,” he said.

---

Late that night, the shooter was tied up in his jail cell. It was pretty easy to get access to him. This particularly jail was one of the older ones, with no security cameras. So for all of Israel’s talk about rehabilitation and prison reform, the state didn’t even bother with this one prison. So full of hypocrites, like the rest of the political establishment. The student sobbed and struggled to free himself, but he was no match for a veteran like Elias. Gertrude didn’t know about this, and it was best she didn’t know, although if she did she'd probably approve.

“You tried to kill my wife,” Elias said to the student.

“I’m sorry!” the student said. “I’m sorry!”

“You don’t get to say you’re sorry after trying to shoot my wife,” Elias said, “I said in my heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked.”

“Please spare me!” the student said.

“For there is a time there for every purpose and for every work,” Elias continued, reciting the book of Ecclesiastes, “But you misunderstand. I’m not going to kill you. I’m not an idiot.”

The student continued struggling and pleading as Elias took out a camcorder. He began playing a video on it.

“Do you know what it was like to see my wife in pain?” he said. “To pray to God to save her?”

The video was of a woman the student recognized instantly. It was his girlfriend in her dorm. The video zoomed out, revealing it was being filmed from a nearby building by Elias, who aimed his sniper rifle and shot her in the head. It was already late at night, so there were no witnesses who saw the act. Elias dropped the gun in a lake afterwards. And to eliminate the last and most obvious piece of evidence, he took out the memory card and broke it, to be burned later. If this kid tried ratting him out, he’d only look like a half-mad fool.

“Now you do,” he said, watching the student scream.

Everybody in the way of Elias' goals would be crushed. He was no longer scared of the memory of Ellie's coughing. He used it as a reminder of his current mission. He would be strong, for both Ellie and Gertrude's sake.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Ah , Ellias defiantly has some issues to be sure. To be fair, I did write him that way in the early drafts I shared with you, but your take on him is very interesting as well, especially how he dealt with the assassin in the end. Good job fleshing out his backstory through, it's pretty much how I imagined it playing out when I first drafted out ideas for his character and then let you write your own take, looking forward to seeing how his character arc develops.:)

Anders suspecting Elias is worrying to me. I guess Elias is going to clash with the former X-Division crew at some point. That's a conflict I'm going to feel conflicted about, due to our emotional connection to the X-division crew after years of being with them and my own personal connection to Ellias due to my role in his writing. :eek:

Elias is certainly sympathetic, but that is way too far a reaction.

Ah , Ellias defiantly has some issues to be sure. To be fair, I did write him that way in the early drafts I shared with you, but your take on him is very interesting as well, especially how he dealt with the assassin in the end. Good job fleshing out his backstory through, it's pretty much how I imagined it playing out when I first drafted out ideas for his character and then let you write your own take, looking forward to seeing how his character arc develops.:)
Glad what I ended up with stayed close to your imagining of his character.
Anders suspecting Elias is worrying to me. I guess Elias is going to clash with the former X-Division crew at some point. That's a conflict I'm going to feel conflicted about, due to our emotional connection to the X-division crew after years of being with them and my own personal connection to Ellias due to my role in his writing. :eek:
He will interact with the old team eventually. As for how it goes...you'll see.
Elias is certainly sympathetic, but that is way too far a reaction.
Elias is forged by years of suffering and loss. He never wants to be powerless or weak again, and he's not going to let anything get in the way of his goals.

Well, I did not expect such a...violent reaction out of Elias. Granted he is a veteran but damn, that was rather overkill to be honest. And yeah, I second CaptainAlvious' words, seems there's a possibility of him clashing with the X-Division crew, especially that bit on Anders being suspicious.

Being Strong

Tel Aviv - September 30, 2016, 3:00 PM

“‘Today, we find ourselves at a crossroads’,” Elias wrote down, “‘We've lost our way. Our values and our sense of purpose. Today, we confront a crisis’.”

“No, Elias, you can’t change my script at the last minute,” Gertrude said.

“Well, it’s stronger,” Elias said, “But watch your tone. Don't scold or lecture.”

“I know that better than anyone,” Gertrude said.

“And remember,” Elias said, “Don’t confuse meekness with weakness.”

“Of course,” Gertrude said, “All I have to do is start a dialogue.”

“This is what we wanted, right?” Elias said, putting an arm around Gertrude’s shoulder. “Our policies and ideas discussed in the mainstream.”

The Anhorns’ car approached the campus of IU Tel Aviv. Traffic was slower than usual, probably due to the large crowds of protesters crammed on the sidewalks, angrily waving signs with all manner of profanities and insults aimed at Elias and Gertrude. As usual, Elias paid them no attention. Gertrude answered a call from a reporter friend of theirs and put it on loudspeaker.

“Hi, Bysandros, this is a mess,” Gertrude said, “I’ve never seen so many riled up like this.”

“Herr Malecares, don’t bother,” Elias said, “I did several tours in Mexico and lost my eye there. These kids don’t know how to support a cause. They’re all talk and no action. Bleeding hearts. You should be worried about the other reporters who will no doubt paint them as heroes. Especially that Novak woman. ”

“I know, I know,” Bysandros said, “I’m disappointed at what my profession has become.”

“I think Schmitz is doing well,” Gertrude said, “They’re more fair than the others. Not tainted by corporate money like RBS and the others. At least you guys tell our side of the story.”

“Especially after my rant,” Elias said, “Thank you for bailing me out, Bysandros.”

“You’re welcome, Elias,” Bysandros said, “I’ll meet you at the venue.”

“Sure thing,” Elias said, “See you there.”

He hung up.

“Ready for the speech?” he asked.

“As always,” Gertrude said, “No protesters are going to stop me.”

“Tel Aviv,” Elias said, looking at the skyline passing behind the picket lines,

“Never thought we’d make it here. Into the belly of the beast itself.”

“This should show the party cartel we mean business,” Gertrude said.

“I think they already know that by the number of kids they’ve sent,” Elias said.

They pulled up outside the lecture hall, where police officers had parted the endless crowds of angry students to form a path for them. Elias and Gertrude got out and walked down the path, ignoring the insults and slogans hurled at them. He hadn’t seen protests this big in a long time, and never during their tour. It was still only a minor nuisance. Gertrude would yet say what she was supposed to say here.

They met Bysandros Malecares, a bespectacled reporter wearing a Schmitz jacket, at the entrance to the venue. He smiled with relief and ran over to them.

“Thank goodness!” he said. “They were starting to get on my nerves.”

“That’s what they want, Bysandros,” Elias said, “They want you to lash out again and make us look bad. But instead, they only make themselves look entitled and sheltered.”

“Alright, Elias, you made yourself clear last month,” Bysandros said, “Now let’s get going before they get any ideas.”

“Right,” Elias said.

They walked inside, but the protests didn’t relent. Inside, almost all of the seats were taken up by more protesters, each brandishing their signs in their faces. The cacophony intensified as Elias and Gertrude approached the stage. The police officers in attendance struggled to calm down the crowds. Gertrude looked at Elias nervously.

“You may not agree with what she has to say,” the host told the audience, “But that's what's great about our country, the freedom to express your own opinion. She is here as a guest, so please, let’s welcome Gertrude Anhorn.”

The crowd continued jeering.

“Stay focused,” Elias said, “Stay calm.”

“FRAK YOU!” a woman shouted.

She blared an air horn just two feet away from Gertrude’s face, causing Gertrude to recoil and cover her ears in pain.

“Get the frak out of here!” a man shouted.

“We don’t want you in our school!” another student said.

He hurled a water bottle at Gertrude, which she barely dodged.

“We don't believe in anything you do!”

“You and your stupid fascism!”

“Frak you, zealot!”

“Ignore them,” Elias said.

“I’m trying,” Gertrude said.

“Quiet!” a supporter said. “Let her talk! I’m not a fan of what she says, but silencing her isn’t going to help!”

The crowd didn’t listen, though.

“Angeloi scum! Get out of here, Angeloi!”

“Quiet! Let her speak!”

“Sit down, you stupid little b***h!”

“We didn’t invite you, you frakking fanatic!”

“YEAH, TELL HER ANGELOI BUTT!”

“She has a right to speak!”

“This is the Reich!”

Air horns continued blaring.

“We should go,” Bysandros said.

“We’re not going,” Elias said, "I've been through way worse."

“Yes, we’re not going,” Gertrude said.

“Stand back!” the police shouted. “Stand back, please! Back up, all of you!”

“WE WON’T BE SILENT!” Elias said. “SHUT THE FRAK UP, BECAUSE WE AREN’T GOING TO BE CENSORED!”

“You want me to stay silent, but that is not gonna to change what is happening in our country!” Gertrude said. “I’m going to tell it like it is. You’re all spoiled, privileged brats!”

The crowd noticeably quieted down, and Elias heard some whoops from their supporters.

“You live in an academic bubble, all of you!” Gertrude said. “The climate crisis is the greatest emergency we’ve ever faced, and we are on track to seeing a global warming of three degrees!”

“Yeah, let her speak!” a friendly student shouted. “Let her speak!”

“Let her speak! Let her speak! Let her speak!” other friendly students chanted.

“That is exactly the problem that we need to focus on right now,” Gertrude said, “The future, and the future of mankind, depends on what we do today! What we do now!”

The protesters’ voices diminished further, and the students who were actually there to listen to and support them cheered louder. Elias smiled and patted Gertrude on the back.

“We didn’t back down,” he said, “You’re incredible!”

“Uh, I hate to break it to you, but we’re still in the aisle,” Bysandros said, “We haven’t even reached the podium yet.”

“Oh, yes, of course,” Gertrude said, “Let’s get going.”

They continued towards the stage. Elias checked his phone.

“Wow, Dikastirio’s already blowing up,” he said, “Your little spiel just now is going viral.”

“That’s great!” Gertrude said. “Let’s add more cities to our tour.”

“Good idea,” Elias said, “Got any in mind?”

“I was thinking Beirut, Damascus, Baghdad, and Riyadh to start with,” Gertrude said.

“Pretty bold, aren’t you?” Elias said.

“That’s why you married me, right?” Gertrude teased.

“I have a feeling this will make a great anniversary,” Elias said.

Gertrude laughed. “Me too.”

She reached into her dress’s pocket and took out her notes to review her speech. Bysandros turned around to say something to them, his hands an extension of his words. At that moment, a shot rang out, and the protesters screamed, stampeding cowardly for the exits. Bysandros dived for the seats, his hands over his head. No stranger to gunfire, Elias calmly looked around for the shooter and then at Gertrude, noticing a darkening red splotch around her stomach. She looked down at her wound. A second later, she collapsed, and Elias rushed to her side, his calmness immediately evaporating.

“Gertrude!” he said.

Gertrude gasped and clutched her wound, vomiting over the carpet. Elias looked at the police.

“Get help!” he shouted. “NOW!”

As the police hurried away, Elias took Gertrude’s hand.

“I’m…going…to die…” Gertrude said. “Am I?”

“You’re not going to die,” he said, “Not today. You’ve got so much to live for, my dear. Everything we’ve worked for…it can’t be in vain. Her death can’t be in vain.”

Her death…her death…the memories came rushing back to him, even though he fought hard against it. His wife bleeding out in front of him reminded him of that dark day, fifteen years ago, the last time he felt powerless. No, he wasn’t powerless now. Why was he thinking that? He let go of Gertrude’s hand and clutched his head, trying his hardest not to remember. But he did, and the room fell away, Gertrude’s cries growing more distant. All he could hear was the one sound that still scared him: a certain woman's cough.

Anhorn residence, Constantinople - November 9, 2001

Elias woke up to the sound of the TV blaring, phones ringing, emergency tones beeping, and doors slamming. His two eyes blinked as they adjusted to the bright sunlight coming from the unexpectedly opened windows. He rolled out of bed and walked into the living room, where Ellie hastily fixed her light blue medical scrubs, talking on a telephone, chugging a glass of milk, and downing an energy bar all at once.

“Yes, I’ll be right there,” she said, “Sorry if I’m really late, this caught me off-guard. No, it’s fine, I’d gladly take the time away from my break for something this big.”

She hung up and finished the milk and energy bar.

“What is it?” Elias said.

“Something’s happened downtown,” Ellie said, “Big explosion at the Twin Towers. They need paramedics on the scene.”

He looked at a TV, where he saw live footage of the burning towers.

“Oh, God,” Elias said, “That’s bad. Really bad.”

“I know,” Ellie said, “They need me.”

“Then go,” Elias said, “Save some lives.”

Ellie smiled and laughed. “That’s my job, isn’t it?”

That was the last time Elias remembered his sister smiling.

St. Eudokimos Hospital - February 3, 2002

Dr. Cabrera went over the test results. Elias and his girlfriend Gertrude sat next to Ellie, who coughed painfully again, as she had been doing for the last several weeks. Cabrera shook her head in disbelief and scanned the results again, but her face remained dismayed. She finally turned to Ellie, who coughed profusely.

“I’m afraid the results are all…positive,” she said, “I’m sorry.”

“No,” Ellie said, in between coughs, “No, it can’t be.”

“The results are conclusive,” Cabrera said.

“How?” Ellie said. “Our family has no history of lung cancer.”

“The dust,” Gertrude said, “The dust at Ground Zero. They said it was toxic.”

“That could be a cause,” Cabrera said, “There’s an ongoing government investigation, so I can’t say for sure until it’s done. But right now, we need to focus on treatment.”

“What kind of treatment?” Gertrude said.

“Anything,” Ellie said, “Just get the cancer out of me.”

“We were thinking chemotherapy,” Cabrera said, “We have to catch the disease before it metastasizes and spreads.”

Ellie looked at Elias. “What about you?”

“We already lost Mom, Ellie,” Elias said, taking her hand, “It’s just us. I’m not going to lose you as well.”

Downtown Constantinople - September 30, 2002

Elias adjusted his tuxedo and looked around at his groomsmen anxiously, who lounged casually but kept their guard up, as they had grown up doing. These men had been with him since they were kids in Königsberg, during the war. Most of their parents had been either taken away by the KGB for some offense, like Elias’ father was, or killed during the war, like his mother. They relied on each other for survival in the years afterward. Their brotherhood had held together even as they left Königsberg behind and the organization itself became a relic of their pasts. This was the first time they had all gathered in over ten years, but they all answered his invitation and came to be with him today. He looked at each of them, and they nodded back confidently. You can do this, their eyes told him. He didn’t need the reassurance. It was just a wedding. Gertrude needed him to not have cold feet.

The door opened, and a bridesmaid walked in. Elias stood up and stretched.

“Are we ready yet?” he said impatiently.

“Uh, no…” the bridesmaid said. “There’s been a situation.”

“What situation?” Elias said.

“It’s the maid of honor, I mean, your sister,” the bridesmaid said, “She had an incident while driving here—”

Before she had finished, Elias pushed her aside and ran out of the room, the confused groomsmen asking him to slow down. He took out his phone and dialed Dr. Cabrera.

“Hello?” Cabrera said.

“It’s Elias,” Elias said, “How is she?”

“She’s taken a turn for the worse,” Cabrera said, “Unresponsive to treatment.”

“Outlook?” Elias said.

“Not much time left,” Cabrera said, “I’m sorry, but it was the best—”

Elias hung up and took out his keys.

“Tell Gertrude she’s free to meet me at the hospital if she feels like it,” he said to the bridesmaid, “But it’s fine if she doesn’t.”

He ran outside, got in his car, and drove as fast as he could to the hospital. There, he hastily parked on the curb, red zone be damned, and rushed inside. He pushed patients and doctors aside in his mad dash for the stairs and then the restricted wards, quickly finding Ellie’s room. An orderly held out his hand to stop him.

“Sir, you can’t—” he began.

Elias pushed him aside like the others. “Frak you, she’s my sister!”

He stormed into the room, where Ellie lay on the bed, hooked up to life support. She weakly looked at him and tried smiling, but she could only cough.

“Brother…” she said. “You made…it.”

The door swung open a second time, with the orderly outside protesting again, and Gertrude rushed over to them, her veil torn and dress ruffled. Neither of them cared about superstitions.

“I came over as fast as I could,” she said.

“As did I,” Elias said.

“It’s okay,” Ellie said, “I know I don’t have much time left. That’s...okay.”

“No, Ellie,” Elias said, “Please, we can still try. More treatment—”

“I’m too far gone now,” Ellie said, “It metastasized, remember? No treatment can save me.”

“No, sis, please,” Elias said, taking her hand, “Please don’t leave me. You’re all I have left.”

“I knew this day would come eventually,” Ellie said, “Ever since November 9. But that was a price I was willing to pay every day as a paramedic. You have to be strong, Elias.”

“I’m trying,” Elias said.

“I know,” Ellie said, “You’ve been a good brother, you know?”

“You didn’t leave me a choice,” Elias said.

Ellie tried laughing, but she could only cough again.

“Yeah,” Ellie said, “If only Mom and Dad could’ve seen us now.”

“They wouldn’t have wanted to see you like this,” Elias said.

“But they would’ve been proud of you two,” Gertrude said, “I am.”

“Thanks, Gertrude,” Ellie said, “You’ve always been a good friend. Take care of Elias for me, will you?”

“I will,” Gertrude said.

Ellie’s grip weakened. Her breath grew raspy and intermittent.

“Elias…my brother…” she managed. “Remember…me…”

Her hand went limp, and the monitors flatlined. Ellie no longer breathed. Elias shook his head in disbelief.

“No,” he said, “No, no, no, no!”

He buried his head in the blankets and cried.

“No!” Elias said. “Ellie! Come back!”

Gertrude put her hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Elias.”

“Argh!” Elias said, pounding a monitor. “Why?! Why does this always happen to me?! First Mom and Dad, now Ellie? Why has God cursed me!”

Several nurses walked into the room and surrounded Ellie’s bed, disconnecting her from the monitors and preparing to wheel her out.

“What are you doing?” Elias said.

“She wanted to donate her organs,” a nurse said, “We don’t have much time.”

“You’re serious,” Elias said, “She just died! And you’re here circling like vultures waiting so you can take her organs. My sister had a name! Ellie was a person! Remember that!”

Gertrude restrained Elias before he could punch the nearest nurse.

“Elias, we should go,” she said.

“No!” Elias said, struggling as Gertrude dragging him into the hallway and the orderlies wheeled Ellie away for the last time. “No! Ellie!”

Gertrude forced him to sit.

“Calm down, Elias,” she said, “Look, I’m sorry it had to happen on such short notice, on today of all days. I was surprised too. I’m grieving as much as you do. But we can’t lose hope. It’s not what Ellie would’ve wanted.”

“What do you mean?” Elias said.

“Ellie wouldn’t want you to sulk around and grieve all day,” Gertrude said, “She wouldn’t want her death to have been in vain. She’d want her brother to make her life meaningful.”

“Meaningful…” Elias said. “Meaningful…”

“So stop grieving,” Gertrude said, “Remember what she told you. Remember her. So why don’t you do that? Honor her memory. Be strong for her.”

Elias cried for a few more seconds. Then he looked up and dried the tears from his eyes. It was time to be strong. He had to be strong, on today of all days. For his sister. For Gertrude. For the world. It had taken enough from him. It was time he took his fate back into his own hands. A new resolve dawned over him, and his face hardened with strength and conviction.

“Yes,” Elias said, “Let’s go, Gertrude. Let’s remember Ellie.”

The ceremony was cancelled. It was unnecessary, since they already finished the paperwork a while ago. But when he returned to the venue, he and his groomsmen raised a glass to his sister’s memory and vowed to enlist. They would cross the ocean and kill those who destroyed the towers that day. That was how they would remember her. He would be strong for her.

Tel Aviv - September 30, 2016, 3:15 PM

Elias finally banished the memories and refocused on his surroundings. He looked around and saw paramedics wheeling Gertrude out of the room. Police officers had pinned who appeared to be the suspect to the floor. The student was protesting furiously, as students usually did, but the police were putting a gun, no doubt the weapon of the crime, into an evidence bag, so it was clear they had found and apprehended Gertrude’s shooter.

Relieved, Elias slumped into a nearby chair. Gertrude looked like she would be fine. The assassination attempt on her had failed, and it would most definitely play into his hands, like his rant last month. The students would be seen as an unruly and sensitive mob who liked shouting down people they disagreed with. And now his movement had a martyr, or the closest thing to one without anybody dying. Today was a black day. Fourteen years ago, his sister had died, and just now, Gertrude almost joined her. But Gertrude taught him how to handle it. Just like that dark day, he would emerge from today even stronger. It was what Ellie would’ve wanted. And if anybody stood in his way, he would overcome them. No, he would destroy them. He would be strong for Ellie.

Die Zeiten offices, Constantinople - October 1, 2016, 10:00 AM

Theresa and Anders looked over the security footage.

“Mind telling me what we’re looking for?” Theresa said.

“For the last time, it’s obvious the student wasn’t working alone,” Anders said.

“There’s nothing proving it,” Theresa said.

“The cameras should tell us,” Anders said, “Let’s see…”

He slowed down the playback just as Gertrude was shot and then rewound a little.

“There,” he said, pointing at Bysandros Malecares, “Look.”

Bysandros was standing near to the gunman, who wasn’t paying him any attention. The student fired at Gertrude. As she collapsed and the crowd screamed, Elias glanced at Bysandros and then rushed to Gertrude’s side. Bysandros and the student disappeared in the chaos. A minute later, when the police and paramedics arrived, Bysandros reappeared at the edge of the auditorium, having pinned the student to the ground and disarmed him.

“Just as I thought,” Anders said, “Elias and Bysandros were in on the plot. Bysandros forced a student to shoot Gertrude and then had him take the fall, all to rile people up and change public opinion in Elias’ favor.”

“Anders, you're making a mountain out of a molehill,” Theresa said, “There’s nothing definitively showing Bysandros made the boy shoot Gertrude, or that Elias was in on it. There’s no reason for Elias to shoot his own wife.”

“No, there has to be something here,” Anders said, rewinding the footage again.

“I’m seeing exactly the same thing you’re seeing,” Theresa said, “And I’m telling you, we can’t use this footage. There’s no smoking gun. You’re just grasping at straws.”

“But there is,” Anders said.

“No there—okay, fine, literally there is one,” Theresa said, “But there’s nothing we can use to prove Bysandros and Elias did it. Why would Elias shoot his wife, given his own history?”

“Bysandros is suspicious,” Anders said, “You saw how he acted.”

“So what?” Theresa said. “You act suspicious all the time. I’m surprised you haven’t been thrown in prison already.”

“Actually, I have,” Anders said, “Multiple times, I think.”

“Point is, you can’t just accuse him like this,” Theresa said, “We have to let it slide.”

“You’re serious,” Anders said.

“I’m sorry, Anders,” Theresa said, “But that’s how things work. We can’t win everything. Didn’t you say you learned that from your grandfather?”

Anders checked his phone. “Yeah, we can’t win this one.”

“Exactly,” Theresa said, “Now let’s—”

“No, check the news,” Anders said.

He showed her his phone. A news video had just been uploaded.

“The country is coming together to express its support for Gertrude and Elias Anhorn,” the reporter said, “Flowers have been left outside their home in Berlin and the hospital at which Gertrude is receiving treatment for her wounds. The websites for both the Shepherds’ Brotherhood and Christenheit Bewegung have seen a massive surge in donations. Candlelit vigils have been scheduled later today in several cities to pray for Gertrude’s health. It is clear this unnecessary violence has increased the backlash against mainstream parties and elevated the Anhorns to more than just mere activists.”

Tel Aviv - October 2

Elias looked over the script and made more edits to it, while Gertrude leaned over from her hospital bed.

“Elias, stop fussing,” Gertrude said, “It sounds great already.”

“Try it out,” Elias said.

“Alright, uh,” Gertrude said, “‘We will not allow a fanatic…’”

“Try ‘terrorist’,” Elias said, “He’s a terrorist.”

“Okay,” Gertrude said, “Here goes. ‘We will not allow a terrorist to silence us. Just like Anders Humboldt and Theresa Novak did not let Sentinel silence them. They too understood the truth can be hard to hear. But only the truth can save the Reich now’.”

“Great,” Elias said, “I think that’s good.”

“And I thought we could segue into justice being served,” Gertrude said.

“That’s if they charge him,” Elias said.

“They will,” Gertrude said, “Put your faith in God.”

“I have faith in God, but I don’t have faith in the cops,” Elias said.

Gertrude groaned in pain.

“You know, Gertrude, I never should have let you start speaking in public,” Elias said.

He tried to take her hand, but she pulled it away.

“Stop that,” Gertrude said, “You should stop that and be a man. Stand for what you believe in and sweep aside those who oppose you. Ellie told you to be strong. So do that!”

Elias looked at the floor and then back at Gertrude.

“Yes, I will,” he said.

---

Late that night, the shooter was tied up in his jail cell. It was pretty easy to get access to him. This particularly jail was one of the older ones, with no security cameras. So for all of Israel’s talk about rehabilitation and prison reform, the state didn’t even bother with this one prison. So full of hypocrites, like the rest of the political establishment. The student sobbed and struggled to free himself, but he was no match for a veteran like Elias. Gertrude didn’t know about this, and it was best she didn’t know, although if she did she'd probably approve.

“You tried to kill my wife,” Elias said to the student.

“I’m sorry!” the student said. “I’m sorry!”

“You don’t get to say you’re sorry after trying to shoot my wife,” Elias said, “I said in my heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked.”

“Please spare me!” the student said.

“For there is a time there for every purpose and for every work,” Elias continued, reciting the book of Ecclesiastes, “But you misunderstand. I’m not going to kill you. I’m not an idiot.”

The student continued struggling and pleading as Elias took out a camcorder. He began playing a video on it.

“Do you know what it was like to see my wife in pain?” he said. “To pray to God to save her?”

The video was of a woman the student recognized instantly. It was his girlfriend in her dorm. The video zoomed out, revealing it was being filmed from a nearby building by Elias, who aimed his sniper rifle and shot her in the head. It was already late at night, so there were no witnesses who saw the act. Elias dropped the gun in a lake afterwards. And to eliminate the last and most obvious piece of evidence, he took out the memory card and broke it, to be burned later. If this kid tried ratting him out, he’d only look like a half-mad fool.

“Now you do,” he said, watching the student scream.

Everybody in the way of Elias' goals would be crushed. He was no longer scared of the memory of Ellie's coughing. He used it as a reminder of his current mission. He would be strong, for both Ellie and Gertrude's sake.
I have a feeling the Reich is gonna have a crisis of the third century

Well, I did not expect such a...violent reaction out of Elias. Granted he is a veteran but damn, that was rather overkill to be honest. And yeah, I second CaptainAlvious' words, seems there's a possibility of him clashing with the X-Division crew, especially that bit on Anders being suspicious.
There is a possibility...
I have a feeling the Reich is gonna have a crisis of the third century
It’s not the 23rd century though...:p

I read this chapter and while I understand why he is so angry his actions make him an antihero next to a downright villan.
There are plenty of morally gray characters in this arc, instead of the clear cut good vs evil of X-Division against the Syndicate and Sentinel. Elias is one of them.

Reactions:
While we are focused on the Anhorns and the CB, I wonder if there are or will be similar movements catching on in other countries. You talked about Scandinavia’s Ragnoroker Party reorganizing their platform to focus less on religious conservatism and more on progressive stances on climate change and, ironically enough, immigration. You also talked about Afghanistan’s Warriors of Zun holy order and Yavadi’s Sons of Karla/Patriots of Yavadi in previous updates as well, I wonder if they’ll be taking ques from the Forum as it gets more attention in the Reich? Then there's the far right populists lead by Penglai as well, which I imagine will clash with the Forum at some point.

I’m curios about India and it’s cultural sphere as well, mostly because of bits of foreshadowing that imply it will be important later on, like Nepal and Bhutan drawing closer ties with India, along with India after the Naxalite rebellion and Penglai butting heads due to Zhao's suppression of the Daksina Jamina independence movement. Seems like the Naxalite war made India finally step out the shadow of the Rasas and leave its mark on the world, I wonder how India’s neighbors and former subjects will react to that?

I'm also curios about the large regions/cultural shift that happened in the Steppes and Central Asia because of the Mongol Conquests, like the how Jewish Saray was swept aside and was replaced with a Finno-Mongol Yavadi regime (as well as what influences the Saray Empire still has on Yavadi today). Not to mention the spread of the Slavic relgion to Central Asia, which subsequently lead to Timur launching his campaign to revitalize Zunism in region and exile the Ghaznavids to Tibet. That seems like a good topic for a disscussion in the future, whether it would be in the school arc or another update talking about Turks and Mongols.
It’s not the 23rd century though...:p
Warhammer 40k doesn't take place in the 43rd millennium, but we all now what the Imperium of Man is like there.:p At least we know the Reich won't end up like that..... for now hopefully.
There are plenty of morally gray characters in this arc, instead of the clear cut good vs evil of X-Division against the Syndicate and Sentinel. Elias is one of them.
Very interesting. To be honest, we've had a lot of good vs evil conflicts throughout this megacampagin, even from HOI3 onwards despite protagonists who did bad things like Engelbert murdering Trotsky (through he did have the good intentions in mind when he did that crime and likely didn't see what would happen to the Occupied Territories coming). That's not necessarily a bad thing about this AAR, don't get me wrong, but it definitely helps set this arc apart from previous ones to be sure.

While we are focused on the Anhorns and the CB, I wonder if there are or will be similar movements catching on in other countries. You talked about Scandinavia’s Ragnoroker Party reorganizing their platform to focus less on religious conservatism and more on progressive stances on climate change and, ironically enough, immigration. You also talked about Afghanistan’s Warriors of Zun holy order and Yavadi’s Sons of Karla/Patriots of Yavadi in previous updates as well, I wonder if they’ll be taking ques from the Forum as it gets more attention in the Reich? Then there's the far right populists lead by Penglai as well, which I imagine will clash with the Forum at some point.
I will be mentioning the Ragnarokers a couple times in the story, while the Sons of Kaleva and Patriots of Yavdi have a minor role in the gameplay chapters. While they may take some inspiration from the Forum, they will do things their own way. Other populist movements might appear in places like China (where nationalism of the junta era never truly died), while Zhao keeps being Zhao. I haven’t written any direct interactions between him/his party and the Forum yet, but I have one planned. India also might have its own populist movement building on reaction against the Naxalite uprising.
I’m curios about India and it’s cultural sphere as well, mostly because of bits of foreshadowing that imply it will be important later on, like Nepal and Bhutan drawing closer ties with India, along with India after the Naxalite rebellion and Penglai butting heads due to Zhao's suppression of the Daksina Jamina independence movement. Seems like the Naxalite war made India finally step out the shadow of the Rasas and leave its mark on the world, I wonder how India’s neighbors and former subjects will react to that?
Nepal and Bhutan are currently in a cold war against each other, as Nepal sees Bhutan as a breakaway province, but neither side can act because they are tied up with Paulluist movements who want freedom from both China and India. But Nepal now has a large Indian population, and Kathmandu is growing into a large city as a result of many Indians moving there, so even if the Paulluists take over in Nepal they’d still want to have friendly ties with India. On the other hand, India is now seriously pursuing unification talks with Nepal due to its new Indian population as it was only carved out in 1918 by China after the war. The talks never get anywhere, but the Nepalese government would really like Indian assistance with its Paulluist problem and the economy in general.

The Naxalite rebellion of 2010 led to a right wing reaction which is now growing in strength, the Hindutva fundamentalists who have ties to neo-Rasa organizations. I will be explaining more about them later, but they believe India should be a country only for Hindus, and everyone else is a foreign invader.

The Indian government would be okay if Daksina Jamina remains part of Penglai. Their main issue is how the Indian population is treated, and conditions have been worsening under Zhao’s Sinicization policies. Zhao for that matter sees the Dakshavi as foreign agents working to split Penglai and turn it into an Indian colony again.
I'm also curios about the large regions/cultural shift that happened in the Steppes and Central Asia because of the Mongol Conquests, like the how Jewish Saray was swept aside and was replaced with a Finno-Mongol Yavadi regime (as well as what influences the Saray Empire still has on Yavadi today). Not to mention the spread of the Slavic relgion to Central Asia, which subsequently lead to Timur launching his campaign to revitalize Zunism in region and exile the Ghaznavids to Tibet. That seems like a good topic for a disscussion in the future, whether it would be in the school arc or another update talking about Turks and Mongols.
I did throw in a few lines about how the old Saray Khaganate still influences modern Yavdi, but I could expand on that in a much later update focusing on Central Asia, because I probably will have one.
Warhammer 40k doesn't take place in the 43rd millennium, but we all now what the Imperium of Man is like there.:p At least we know the Reich won't end up like that..... for now hopefully.
Worm intensifies
Very interesting. To be honest, we've had a lot of good vs evil conflicts throughout this megacampagin, even from HOI3 onwards despite protagonists who did bad things like Engelbert murdering Trotsky (through he did have the good intentions in mind when he did that crime and likely didn't see what would happen to the Occupied Territories coming). That's not necessarily a bad thing about this AAR, don't get me wrong, but it definitely helps set this arc apart from previous ones to be sure.
And even our own X-Division protagonists might not be perfect either...

Reactions:
The Naxalite rebellion of 2010 led to a right wing reaction which is now growing in strength, the Hindutva fundamentalists who have ties to neo-Rasa organizations. I will be explaining more about them later, but they believe India should be a country only for Hindus, and everyone else is a foreign invader.
Why do I get the feeling the Hindutva party will likely be major Holocaust deniers? The fact they have connections to Neo Rasas and are ultranationalist doesn’t make that feeling any better. I worry for India’s minorities, people with other political affiliations (especially left leaning) and even India’s neighbors (depending on if the Hindutuva want to follow in Ghandi’s footsteps and restore India’s old empire) if these populists take control.:eek:
I did throw in a few lines about how the old Saray Khaganate still influences modern Yavdi, but I could expand on that in a much later update focusing on Central Asia, because I probably will have one.
That would be interesting. You could also talk about some unique elements of Steppe Judaism that separates it from other sects of Judaism, like the Abyssinian and Roman sects. That might be cool.

There’s also the other former Soviet sphere as well, which have to deal with a worsening crime and economic situation after the war. I can see Russia, Liovina and Yavadi spending resources on fighting the Cartels and rebuilding their countries after the war and economic crisis, while the Reich is now considering cutting off subsidies to Russia and redistributing them to the Occupied Territories, as Chapter 454 explained.

I wonder how the Reich’s overseas provinces in Asia and the Pacific would be affected by events going on their? Perhaps the direction ASEAN goes will have some affect on Sumatra while Mittsgsland and the Pacific islands couldbe another flashpoint in relations between Zhao, the Reich and the rest of the Sinosphere.

Sooner or later, Africa is going to be sick of being ignored by the Reich in favor of most of Europe, the Middle East and even other overseas provinces like Neurhomaina. The fact they haven’t already is kind of a miracle, but something tells me that patience will run thin in the next few years, probably playing into Jakob’s role in the Forum’s arc. I wonder how Mali, East Africa and Abyssina are doing and if they'll be playing any part in Africa's involvement in this story arc?
Worm intensifies
This, is true.:p

Seriously through, now that’s a conflict I’m worried about if Diana and Gruber’s visions are to be believed, especially that Kaiserin they saw die fighting the HTE’s God Emperor. Something tells me if that even if that Kaiserin happens to be a competent enough leader to go toe to toe with a the Annionas, something tells me she’ll be less of an Emperor Aurelian or Kaiser Siegfried miraculously pulling victory from the jaws of defeat and more like the late First Empire’s Stilicho and Majorian, doomed to a hopeless struggle where they lose everything in the end.
Remembering Wilhelm's description of the Worm when he came across one of its artifacts in the Annionaverse crossover arc, It's kind of ironic that I see some similarities to the Worm and biblical angel in way in terms of appearance, motives and behavior, particurly the more eldritch looking angels like Cherubim, Sepharhim and Oraphim. It would since Deus Ex Anniona did talk alot about the Worm's connections to many different religions, even other abrahmic connections like the Cult associating the Worm as the Garden of Eden's snake. Maybe that comparison could play into Wilhelm's rivalry with the Worm, further characterizing Wilhelm and making the Worm more godlike and otherworldly.

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling the Hindutva party will likely be major Holocaust deniers? The fact they have connections to Neo Rasas and are ultranationalist doesn’t make that feeling any better. I worry for India’s minorities, people with other political affiliations (especially left leaning) and even India’s neighbors (depending on if the Hindutuva want to follow in Ghandi’s footsteps and restore India’s old empire) if these populists take control.:eek:
I haven’t written much for them so far other than some references, but they would be very dangerous indeed if they take control.
That would be interesting. You could also talk about some unique elements of Steppe Judaism that separates it from other sects of Judaism, like the Abyssinian and Roman sects. That might be cool.
Sounds cool. I think I’m going to talk more about Yavdi once this story arc is finished, maybe introduce some Yavdian characters, so I’ll try to remember to talk about that.
There’s also the other former Soviet sphere as well, which have to deal with a worsening crime and economic situation after the war. I can see Russia, Liovina and Yavadi spending resources on fighting the Cartels and rebuilding their countries after the war and economic crisis, while the Reich is now considering cutting off subsidies to Russia and redistributing them to the Occupied Territories, as Chapter 454 explained.
Livonia also has to deal with a domestic terrorism problem from many different groups, like German nationalists, Paulluists, and equalists. They’ve invested a lot into cyber security to fight against the cartels online. Russia is kind of a mess and will remain a mess for a while, especially with the subsidy program being debated and possibly cut. Yavdi has a large Paulluist movement growing like in Nepal, and its troops are either ill equipped to fight them or are outright sympathetic.
I wonder how the Reich’s overseas provinces in Asia and the Pacific would be affected by events going on their? Perhaps the direction ASEAN goes will have some affect on Sumatra while Mittsgsland and the Pacific islands couldbe another flashpoint in relations between Zhao, the Reich and the rest of the Sinosphere.
Depending on who wins the power struggle in ASEAN, the bloc might turn its eyes on Sumatra as the only Roman colony in Southeast Asia to stay with the mainland. Nusantara might try to claim it due to the city of Palembang being there (as the ancient capital of Srivijaya, which ASEAN has been using a lot of imagery and symbolism of), while Vietnam wants nothing to do with it, and the neutral faction could go either way.

I don’t think Zhao wants Mittagsland or the Pacific islands as they were never under Chinese/Penglai control, but he would be annoyed by the Roman naval dominance in the area.
Sooner or later, Africa is going to be sick of being ignored by the Reich in favor of most of Europe, the Middle East and even other overseas provinces like Neurhomaina. The fact they haven’t already is kind of a miracle, but something tells me that patience will run thin in the next few years, probably playing into Jakob’s role in the Forum’s arc. I wonder how Mali, East Africa and Abyssina are doing and if they'll be playing any part in Africa's involvement in this story arc?
I had a big arc for the late 2030s which would focus on Africa, but I rewrote the story plan and it might not happen now. I’ll have to tweak a few things to make it work again. Jacob will be campaigning more than usual in Africa, hoping to turn the Africans’ frustrations into support. I haven’t written much for Mali or Abyssinia, but East Africa will become very important in the late 2020s.
Seriously through, now that’s a conflict I’m worried about if Diana and Gruber’s visions are to be believed, especially that Kaiserin they saw die fighting the HTE’s God Emperor. Something tells me if that even if that Kaiserin happens to be a competent enough leader to go toe to toe with a the Annionas, something tells me she’ll be less of an Emperor Aurelian or Kaiser Siegfried miraculously pulling victory from the jaws of defeat and more like the late First Empire’s Stilicho and Majorian, doomed to a hopeless struggle where they lose everything in the end.
All I’m going to say is I am already working out the Stellaris ending, even if it’ll take me a while to actually get there...;)
Remembering Wilhelm's description of the Worm when he came across one of its artifacts in the Annionaverse crossover arc, It's kind of ironic that I see some similarities to the Worm and biblical angel in way in terms of appearance, motives and behavior, particurly the more eldritch looking angels like Cherubim, Sepharhim and Oraphim. It would since Deus Ex Anniona did talk alot about the Worm's connections to many different religions, even other abrahmic connections like the Cult associating the Worm as the Garden of Eden's snake. Maybe that comparison could play into Wilhelm's rivalry with the Worm, further characterizing Wilhelm and making the Worm more godlike and otherworldly.
I guess it ties in with my original depiction of the angels as being based on the Supernatural versions, which were based on the biblical versions. Perhaps the Worm is to angels as biblical angels are to humans. I’m definitely working on tying the Worm into ancient history and religions, but let’s say Wilhelm’s rivalry with the Worm is more personal than anything.

A Glorious Fool

Office of the Roman Ambassador, United Nations Headquarters, Vienna outskirts - October 3, 2016, 10:00 AM

Gottfried Loben sat in the corner, patiently listening to Heinrich Dandolo’s conversation with Annie Schmidt.

“Let me get this clear,” Heinrich said, “The Malayan Federation, just yesterday, formally requested a UN intervention in Kota Bahru? And because of that, the Reich is being asked to withdraw its peacekeeping unit to avoid confusion?”

“You heard right,” Schmidt said, “I apologize for the inconvenience, Megas Domestikos. But the UN can’t have confusion on the ground in Kota Bahru.”

“Why did they have to directly go to the UN?” Heinrich said. “Why couldn’t they have asked ASEAN first? The groups occupying Kota Bahru want to abolish it, after all.”

“I don’t know,” Schmidt said, “But it’s done now.”

“Wait,” Heinrich said, “What if we placed the Roman task force under UN control? Make sure there’s a single command. Everything’s ready to go already. I just have to talk to Horst and General von Hotzendorf about listening to UN command.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” Schmidt said.

“Thank you, Ambassador,” Heinrich said, “Please call me if you need to tell me or Horst anything else the Security Council agrees on.”

He turned and left. Gottfried looked up.

“There’s something off,” he said, “I’m not quite sure what…”

Kota Bahru, Malaya - October 6, 2016, 1304 hours

Horst’s helicopter flew in from the coast, where his carrier group had sailed up from Palembang. The men under his command had been deployed from across the Pacific, from Sumatra and Mittagsland to Hawaii. Probably overkill for a minor UN peacekeeping mission. But then again, the terrorists occupying Kota Bahru numbered almost sixty thousand, and the UN forces were under half that number. On the other hand, their forces consisted mainly of disorganized militia who could hardly stand up to his well-equipped men. The battle would be over quickly and in his favor. Then he could turn to helping the locals as he always wanted.

The flight controls beeped and flashed urgently. The pilot checked the radar.

“Missile incoming!” he shouted. “Brace yourselves!”

“Get us out of here!” Horst said.

The pilot swerved to the left, trying to shake the missile off their trail, but it was no use. The missile bore down on them with laser-guided precision. Just as it struck the helicopter, killing everyone inside, Horst conceded the terrorists weren’t as ill-equipped as he thought.

Brandenburg Palace, Berlin

Otto and Georg finished their outdoors walk and headed for the nearest door. The Varangians on guard saluted and opened the door for them.

“Here, let me help you with that,” Georg said.

He helped Otto walk up the stairs. His father gripped his cane tightly and grunted a little. With a little difficulty, they got through the door and into the palace.

“I can feel it,” he said, “I’m not the man I used to be.”

“Don’t say that, Father,” Georg said.

“I...don’t think I have much time left,” Otto said.

“Father!” Georg said. “We have to remain optimistic.”

“Right,” Otto said, “Sorry for making you worried, Georgie boy.”

A door slammed open, and Heinrich rushed over to them.

“Sir,” he said, “Sorry for the rush.”

“What’s happening?” Otto said.

“I’m sorry to break the news to you,” Heinrich said, “But it’s Prince Horst.”

“What happened to Horst?” Georg said.

“We’re told his helicopter was shot down outside Kota Bahru,” Heinrich said, “They’re still searching the wreckage, but they’ve found no survivors. It’s unlikely he made it.”

“No,” Georg said, “Horst...”

Otto gripped his cane and solemnly looked at the floor. He clutched his heart.

“Are you sure?” he said.

“It’s very likely he was killed on impact,” Heinrich said, “Nobody could’ve survived a helicopter crash like that.”

“Horst...” Georg said. “My...cousin...”

“I’m sorry,” Heinrich said, “For what it’s worth, he was my friend too.”

“He should not have gone to Malaya,” Georg said, “He would be alive had he not accepted the peacekeeping assignment.”

“Horst insisted on it, and the General Staff believed he was the best qualified for the job,” Heinrich said, “We all believed that too. A man like Horst wouldn’t turn that assignment down.”

“Damn you, Horst, always rushing into battle without a care for the world,” Georg said.

“He was always eager to prove himself,” Heinrich said.

“Tell me about it,” Georg said, “Horst was always one to talk about justice and making a difference in the world. He was a pretty chivalrous guy. I’m not surprised he took the assignment. But ending up like this…I seriously thought he’d have...longer.”

He sighed.

“But he’s gone now,” Georg said, “No changing that.”

“Thank you for informing me, Heinrich,” Otto said, “Losing another beloved family member...it's never easy for any of us. Especially for me. Work on a way to release the news to the public. I’ll be in my office making funeral plans.”

“I’ll see you later then, Father?” Georg said.

“Yes, later,” Otto said.

The Kaiser slowly walked away. Heinrich reassuringly patted Georg on the shoulder.

“Rest in peace, you glorious fool,” Georg whispered under his breath, “I hope you made that difference you always wanted.”

---

His in-game general didn’t die and shows up in at least one future battle, but consider him dead.

I'm as surprised as them, I expected Horst to do more.

I'm as surprised as them, I expected Horst to do more.
When I was writing this arc, I found there was another theme that fit well with it, that things don’t always turn out the way you wanted, and life never goes as expected. But maybe Horst’s death may still mean something to the people he was protecting.

Reactions:
Well there goes Horst. That is a shock to be sure, through that’s mostly because he didn’t he didn’t get to do much from a story standpoint since he literally had only one update before his death here, but I’m certain he’ll have made an impact here regardless, for better or for worse. At least we still have Georg and Wilhelmina if nothing else.

I’m starting to wonder if history is starting to repeat itself here, since the early 20th century also saw a lot of Hohenzollerns assassunated due to terrorist plots, culminating in the deaths of Crown Prince Franz Federdiand and Kaiser Karl in WW1. Now we had Elisabeth Alexandra and Horst die in similar fashions. Otto’s last few years and the years immediately afterwards will not be entirely peaceful will they, especially with Wilhelm Karl on the throne.