The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stand Alone
1. 00->A Wakening of the Trailblazer
2. Witch from Mercury (make sure to watch the "Episode 0")
3. SEED, Destiny, C.E. 73: Stargazer, Freedom
4. Wing -> Endless Waltz
6. G Gundam
7. Gundam X
8. Build Fighters -> Try -> Try Island Wars. If you want you can then try Build Divers -> Re:RISE (again, Divers has an Episode 0). You can skip everything else in the Build series. (Edit: Don't watch the English dubs for these ones where they exist.)
9. SD and AGE are optional.

Universal Century
1. Gundam 0079 (Didn't watch the Cucuruz Doan's Island movie, but it was based on an episode here that was never dubbed in the West.)
2. Zeta (Do not watch the compilation movies, the ending is changed there.)
3. ZZ
4. Char's Counterattack
5. War in the Pocket (Can technically be watched at any time after 0079 because it's fully standalone, but watch it here so the change in animation quality isn't as jarring.)
6. F91 (If you have the time, follow it up with the Crossbone manga.)
7. Stardust Memory
8. Victory Gundam
9. The 08th MS Team (There's a bonus episode "Battle in Three Dimensions" they made several years later.)
10. G-Saviour (I don't recommend this, it's the infamous live action movie that the fanbase would rather pretend doesn't exist.)
11. MS IGLOO
11.5. Gundam EVOLVE (These episodes tie into a few of the UC and 90s AU shows. There's also an SD episode here.)
12. Unicorn (You will have a better experience the more you remember from the first four entries and Stardust Memory, especially ZZ and CCA.)
12.5. Reconguista in G (There's a bonus short that has a minor Unicorn tie-in you can find on Youtube, but there are no subs and it's not important to the overall story.)
12.6. Turn A (Only after watching everything previous and the 90s AUs (G Gundam, Wing, X).)
13. The Origin
14. Thunderbolt (warning: it's not finished yet)
15. Twilight AXIS (optional)
16. Narrative
17. Hathaway's Flash (Make sure to avoid spoilers about book events that haven't been adapted yet.)
18. Cucuruz Doan's Island
19. Requiem for Vengeance
Thank you for the list. Between Gundam and the 4 Code Geass Movies coming out in May it feels like my year will be full of mechs.

Also. The more I think about it. I can see why you want Code Geass in TTL to have more of it's Gundam heritage than it did in OTL since Code Geass does feel like Gundam without the space battles. My idea would be to have Code Geass be a prequel to IBO. Basically (Spoilers) After the end of the Zero Requiem the world unites around the UFN with the Black Knights being the "world policemen" but 300 years after the Requiem they become corrupted like Gjallarhorn leading to the rise if Tekkadan?

The Domination of Malina
Great work on The Draka post. Look forward to the addendum.

“Calm down!” Alexandra said. “Nothing could’ve possibly survived or remained powered down there for all this time!”
Thanks' Alexandra, because now you've jinxed it. :eek:

Everybody in attendance stood around the map of Baku and the Absheron Peninsula. The Roman forces were stationed in the west, at the base of the peninsula, while the Crusaders were arranged in three lines to their east, running north to south along the width of the peninsula. The first two lines had been overrun, and remaining unit counters had been moved back to the third line.
I wonder if we have gotten far enough into the future that there are now tactical maps like those in Code Geass and 86?

Billy found the Kathartes immediately. The exosuit’s shoulder gun promptly aimed upward—Billy having to lean back a little bit because the gun couldn’t aim at that high of an angle—and fired a quick burst, striking the drone across its upper left and lower right rotors. It went into a spiral and plummeted out of the sky, shattering against the rooftop of Refinery 5.
Speaking of mechs I feel like this exosuit that Billy has will be the first prototype for TTL. I know you said that one of few inspirations you had with this exosuit was the one from Aliens but with the two arms being guns it reminds me of the Panzer Hummel from Akito. For two reasons. One is the guns for arms and also when Akito was asking some retreating EU soldiers for a ride it looked like it was walking and did not have wheels like Britannian or Chinese Federation mechs did.

Panzer Hummel.jpg

Some other early mech designs for TTL could be based off of the Chinese Gun-Ru, Britannian Liverpool and the Juggernauts from 86. But for TTL it would be Persia has the Panzer Hummel, China the Gun-Ru, Jerusalem the Juggernauts (since it is said that they are of lesser quality and Jerusalem is short on resources and the Eimerican Federation getting Britannian models?

I'm also considering the Sons of Malina being a real organization in DE, similar to New England Puritans, the Knights of the Golden Circle, and a dark version of the Gunpowder Plot conspirators and the American Sons of Liberty. I think their conspiracy would spice up the events around Victoria II's abolition of slavery and give stakes for a story arc surrounding Julie d'Aubigny with her having to thwart it, what do you think of that idea Zen?
Also after seeing how William Walker was the villain of an another series by S.M. Sterling, I’m floating around a few ideas for Malina filibusters in the addendum. One of them includes Malina Foederati (mercenaries) gradually taking over client countries like Fusang and Mayapan and turning them into Malina provinces. I guess there can be parallels to Hawaii’s annexation as well.
I can also see similar people to Walker and Cecil Rhodes being funded by the Reich to "explore" places like Africa, Neurhomania, Sumatra and Mittagsland. I can also see people who would be monarchs in OTL like Leopold II of Belgium also becoming like Walker and Rhodes and conquering places of the Reich. This could give rise to a genre that is a mix of OTL's Western's and books like Heart of Darkness?

I might give them another name, since “Malina” would have been coined by the author of this series, but I like the concept.
That makes sense that the author would copyright the name.

Lastly. I know that Romans in Persia are treated like the 86 with those in the Pacific being treated better. I was wondering how they are treated in Africa and the Eimerica's?

Reactions:
Thank you for the list. Between Gundam and the 4 Code Geass Movies coming out in May it feels like my year will be full of mechs.
Same here. It feels like the slice of life binge I went on last year is slowly dying down, and I'm no longer burned out of battle shonen and mecha. Especially since I did that month-long Gundam binge.
Also. The more I think about it. I can see why you want Code Geass in TTL to have more of it's Gundam heritage than it did in OTL since Code Geass does feel like Gundam without the space battles. My idea would be to have Code Geass be a prequel to IBO. Basically (Spoilers)
Yeah, it really does feel like a lower tech Gundam. At certain points when watching Gundam Seed, I kept thinking the art style looked so close to what CLAMP usually does in its shows (like Code Geass). Apparently that was a big complaint back during the original run. I kept thinking Kira and Athrun (the two male leads of Seed) looked way too similar to Lelouch.

(building on your spoiler) I'd like to keep Code Geass separate from IBO due to the nature of their two endings and the fact that Geass existing would change a lot of things in IBO. They're also from two different eras in Sunrise's production and the larger anime industry. I'm going to keep Code Geass (which I have tentatively called "Gundam Code") as another standalone AU Gundam series in between Seed and 00, taking the place of Seed Destiny.
Thanks' Alexandra, because now you've jinxed it. :eek:
That's how it usually goes, doesn't it?
I wonder if we have gotten far enough into the future that there are now tactical maps like those in Code Geass and 86?
Code Geass' tactical maps are basic enough that I could see the tech already existing. Same with 86, at least where the anime is concerned. The books starting from Volume 1 have Star Wars-like holographic displays and video conferences which the anime turned into regular screens.
Speaking of mechs I feel like this exosuit that Billy has will be the first prototype for TTL. I know you said that one of few inspirations you had with this exosuit was the one from Aliens but with the two arms being guns it reminds me of the Panzer Hummel from Akito. For two reasons. One is the guns for arms and also when Akito was asking some retreating EU soldiers for a ride it looked like it was walking and did not have wheels like Britannian or Chinese Federation mechs did.
The main inspiration was the powered armor from Edge of Tomorrow, actually. Though this one is more of a prototype that will lead to a later model similar to what's in that movie. Billy's exosuit arms aren't technically guns, but guns and other equipment can be mounted on the arm chassis.
Some other early mech designs for TTL could be based off of the Chinese Gun-Ru, Britannian Liverpool and the Juggernauts from 86. But for TTL it would be Persia has the Panzer Hummel, China the Gun-Ru, Jerusalem the Juggernauts (since it is said that they are of lesser quality and Jerusalem is short on resources and the Eimerican Federation getting Britannian models?
I agree. I also would like to stay away from a common trope of mecha anime in which not only do mechs supplant every other bit of military hardware (tanks, aircraft, ships, infantry, etc.) but also stick to the same humanoid body plan. My mechs would be another addition to a conventional army, supplementing but not replacing other vehicles. And then there'd be other mechs that aren't humanoid, like 86's Juggernauts, which would be used as mobile assault craft in between tanks and assault vehicles.
I can also see similar people to Walker and Cecil Rhodes being funded by the Reich to "explore" places like Africa, Neurhomania, Sumatra and Mittagsland. I can also see people who would be monarchs in OTL like Leopold II of Belgium also becoming like Walker and Rhodes and conquering places of the Reich. This could give rise to a genre that is a mix of OTL's Western's and books like Heart of Darkness?
Probably original characters, maybe based on minor generals and conquistadors that show up in my screenshots, as well as "darker" versions of major characters from EU4/Victoria 2.
That makes sense that the author would copyright the name.

Lastly. I know that Romans in Persia are treated like the 86 with those in the Pacific being treated better. I was wondering how they are treated in Africa and the Eimerica's?
Africa has its whole deal with continental unification and association, so native Africans are willing to work with the Roman population there. But the Neurhomanians are dealing with a whole other host of issues...like Pesah.

Reactions:
I agree. I also would like to stay away from a common trope of mecha anime in which not only do mechs supplant every other bit of military hardware (tanks, aircraft, ships, infantry, etc.) but also stick to the same humanoid body plan. My mechs would be another addition to a conventional army, supplementing but not replacing other vehicles. And then there'd be other mechs that aren't humanoid, like 86's Juggernauts, which would be used as mobile assault craft in between tanks and assault vehicles.
One way to rectify this could be to bring back the idea of light and heavy cavalry with tanks being light cavalry and mechs being heavy?

Another inspiration could be the Mobile Worker's from IBO?

Also the war machines that were used by TTL's Forerunners and Ancient Humanity are now relics of the Human-Forerunner wars could now be relics in TTL's Modern Era like the Mobile Armor of IBO and Knight Giga Fortress of Code Geass?

Reactions:
One way to rectify this could be to bring back the idea of light and heavy cavalry with tanks being light cavalry and mechs being heavy?
I wouldn't need to do that. Mechs would be specialized to fit any number of roles a unit needs. They could be front-line assault units, artillery, engineer units, communications hubs, and so on. I don't need to be limited to the traditional idea of a humanoid "hero" mech.
Another inspiration could be the Mobile Worker's from IBO?
I actually have plans for them, though I haven't decided on details yet.
Also the war machines that were used by TTL's Forerunners and Ancient Humanity are now relics of the Human-Forerunner wars could now be relics in TTL's Modern Era like the Mobile Armor of IBO and Knight Giga Fortress of Code Geass?
Or like Xenogears where the mechs in that game are generally dug up from an older civilization. I do have plans to work in ancient humanity's technology eventually.

Reactions:
You said that "Gundam Code" will be its own universe like IBO and 00 but rereading the backstory for TTL’s Code Geass. The idea of the Holy Neurhomanian Reich attacking both the Eurasian Alliance and Chinese Federation at once feels more like the “One Year War” from Universal Century than it does the actual show. My Idea would be to (Spoilers) mix R1 and Akito together and have TTL’s Chinese Federations assault on Kyūshū in Ep. 20 of R1 instead be an attempt by the EA to retake the British Isles but the Black Knights prevent that from happening which leads to the Black Rebellion. Then for the Neurhomania-EA War (TTL’s Britannia-EU War) could be a combination of 86 and Akito. With R2 being set in the Federation with TTL’s Schneizel?

That being said, what would be TTL’s Area 18 (Middle Eastern Federation) as well as the different areas in general?

Would there be a Euro Britannia?

Would spin off stories like Nightmare of Nunnally and OZ Of The Reflection be animated in TTL since they were not in OTL?

I know that the Annionaverse in the Fringe arc and in the recent Mars arc and any other arc in Stellaris are TTL’s Mirror Universe and Terran Empire. This got me wondering what TTL's version of the Confederation of Earth is?

My idea is to combine the universes of The Man in the High Castle, the MachineGames version of Wolfenstein and of course the Confederation of Earth and create a new timeline. My timeline would be this:

High Castle: 1960
The New Order: 1980
Youngblood: 2000
Start of the Confederation: 2024

Lastly I know that you said that Persia was inspired by OTL’s Italy during WW2 but for most of its “modern history” (from 1945 to now in 2039) I can see some of OTL’s Turkey and Israel as well fitting into TTL's Persia.

Reactions:
You said that "Gundam Code" will be its own universe like IBO and 00 but rereading the backstory for TTL’s Code Geass. The idea of the Holy Neurhomanian Reich attacking both the Eurasian Alliance and Chinese Federation at once feels more like the “One Year War” from Universal Century than it does the actual show. My Idea would be to (Spoilers)
That would be a great idea to draw more on CG's Gundam heritage, elevating the larger war in the background to OYW level of importance. Though I still would like the focus to remain on Lelouch and Area 11/Britain.
That being said, what would be TTL’s Area 18 (Middle Eastern Federation) as well as the different areas in general?
Since we never got official maps of the world, I wouldn't want to decide which regions became which areas, other than Tawantinsuyu being Area 1.
Would there be a Euro Britannia?
Probably not.
Would spin off stories like Nightmare of Nunnally and OZ Of The Reflection be animated in TTL since they were not in OTL?
Since the first one isn't too relevant to the main story that I know of and I haven't seen the second one yet, I don't think so.
I know that the Annionaverse in the Fringe arc and in the recent Mars arc and any other arc in Stellaris are TTL’s Mirror Universe and Terran Empire. This got me wondering what TTL's version of the Confederation of Earth is?
I don't know what the Confederation of Earth is?
My idea is to combine the universes of The Man in the High Castle, the MachineGames version of Wolfenstein and of course the Confederation of Earth and create a new timeline. My timeline would be this:
Not sure if that works because Wolfenstein already has ridiculous technology in the 1960s that isn't present in TMITHC.
Lastly I know that you said that Persia was inspired by OTL’s Italy during WW2 but for most of its “modern history” (from 1945 to now in 2039) I can see some of OTL’s Turkey and Israel as well fitting into TTL's Persia.
Yeah, there definitely are some influences there.

Reactions:
Since we never got official maps of the world, I wouldn't want to decide which regions became which areas, other than Tawantinsuyu being Area 1.
We kind off did get a world map in R2 ep. 2 it looked like this.
1710714930353.png

And according to the Code Geass wiki the Areas are:

1 - Continental US
2 - Canada and Queen Elizabeth Islands
3 - Mexico (and the rest of Central America)
4 - Greenland
5 - Iceland
6 - South America
7 - Hawaii and Midway Atoll
8 - Falkland Islands
9 - New Zealand
10 - Indochina (Disputed with the Chinese Federation)
11 - Japan
12 - Philippines
13 - Cambodia (Part of Britannia but never called an Area. Disputed with the Chinese Federation)
14 - Papua New Guinea
15 - Southern Pacific Islands
16 - Korean Peninsula (Disputed with the Chinese Federation)
17 - Indonesia (Disputed with the Chinese Federation)
18 - Middle Eastern Federation
19 - Unknown
20 - Unknown
21 - Unknown
22 - Unknown
23 - Unknown
24 - Spain

So this could be the Areas of TTL's Holy Neurhomanian Reich:
1 - Neurhomaina
2 - Tawantinsuyu
3 - Falkland Islands
4 - Mexico
5 - Mayapan
6 - Former Meskwaki Empire
7 - Fusang
8 - Kanata
9 - Mittagsland
10 - Greenland and Iceland
11 - British Isles
12 - Gallia
13 - Hispania
14 - Sudafrica Commonwealth
15 - Mali
16 - Qiandao Islands
17 - Penglai
18 - Japan
19 - Iceland
20 - Norway
21 - Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia
22 - Korea
23 - Indochina
24 - Italy

Probably not.
Well Wing Zero Alpha the author of the fanfic Code Geass Megiddo described it their lore as "The Empire's modern home territory, formally known as the 'Imperial Homeland' or just the 'Homeland', consists entirely of the American continents. All these territories were acquired before the introduction of the Area system, yet, in reference to the British Isles being the original Homeland, are designated as Areas regardless." So maybe the same could be true here in that the Eimerica's could be designated as areas in reference to Europe being the Homeland of the Reich?

https://codegeassfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Britannian_Empire_(Megiddo)#Areas

I don't know what the Confederation of Earth is?
It is mentioned in some clips I saw from Star Trek Picard.

Reactions:
So this could be the Areas of TTL's Holy Neurhomanian Reich:
1 - Neurhomaina
2 - Tawantinsuyu
3 - Falkland Islands
4 - Mexico
5 - Mayapan
6 - Former Meskwaki Empire
7 - Fusang
8 - Kanata
9 - Mittagsland
10 - Greenland and Iceland
11 - British Isles
12 - Gallia
13 - Hispania
14 - Sudafrica Commonwealth
15 - Mali
16 - Qiandao Islands
17 - Penglai
18 - Japan
19 - Iceland
20 - Norway
21 - Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia
22 - Korea
23 - Indochina
24 - Italy
I think the Falklands would be too small to be given their own area, and they were already a Roman territory by the time of the point of divergence so they wouldn't be one regardless. I could seek the Meskwaki Empire and Fusang being split into several smaller Areas each to be easier managed.
Well Wing Zero Alpha the author of the fanfic Code Geass Megiddo described it their lore as "The Empire's modern home territory, formally known as the 'Imperial Homeland' or just the 'Homeland', consists entirely of the American continents. All these territories were acquired before the introduction of the Area system, yet, in reference to the British Isles being the original Homeland, are designated as Areas regardless." So maybe the same could be true here in that the Eimerica's could be designated as areas in reference to Europe being the Homeland of the Reich?
Which is weird because I had Britain, a province of the old Reich, being designated as Area 11 instead of forming what would be a "Euro Neurhomania." So I don't think I'll involve it.
It is mentioned in some clips I saw from Star Trek Picard.
Oh right, Picard Season 2 had that. I was just a little confused because I've seen quite a few variations on "Confederation of Earth" in a lot of media. It'll probably come up if I ever take a stab at a summary for PIC here. I did mention it existed as Star Trek Bauer.

Reactions:
I think the Falklands would be too small to be given their own area, and they were already a Roman territory by the time of the point of divergence so they wouldn't be one regardless.
In most fanfics I have read the Falklands appear to be to Britannia what Guantanamo Bay is to OTL's US and that is why the Islands are a separate Area in Code Geass.

I could seek the Meskwaki Empire and Fusang being split into several smaller Areas each to be easier managed.
Yea, I don't think that Meskwaki and Fusang would be allowed to have more land then Neurhomania but I fell like having to many areas in the Eimerica's since that could mess up with the British Isles being Area 11?

Which is weird because I had Britain, a province of the old Reich, being designated as Area 11 instead of forming what would be a "Euro Neurhomania." So I don't think I'll involve it.
Maybe not a Euro Neurhomania but maybe the European territories on the Continent beside Area 11 are just not given a number since they would be the "Original Homeland" and they would just have their old power restored as the heart of the Reich like it was before the exile?

Last edited:
In most fanfics I have read the Falklands appear to be to Britannia what Guantanamo Bay is to OTL's US and that is why the Islands are a separate Area in Code Geass.
I'd rather stick to canon or other official side content if possible.
Yea, I don't think that Meskwaki and Fusang would be allowed to have more land then Neurhomania but I fell like having to many areas in the Eimerica's since that could mess up with the British Isles being Area 11?
It's still feasible to split up the Meskwaki Empire and Fusang and still end up with only 10 Areas in the Eimericas. They don't have to be consistent or sensible to their inhabitants, but they'd be administratively easier to handle for Neurhomania. Then Area 11 would be the first of the overseas Areas.
Maybe not a Euro Neurhomania but maybe the European territories on the Continent beside Area 11 are just not given a number since they would be the "Original Homeland" and they would just have their old power restored as the heart of the Reich like it was before the exile?
Perhaps.

I wouldn't need to do that. Mechs would be specialized to fit any number of roles a unit needs. They could be front-line assault units, artillery, engineer units, communications hubs, and so on. I don't need to be limited to the traditional idea of a humanoid "hero" mech.
On that note, I wonder if the trope of mechs transforming into other vehicles like in Macross or Zeta Gundam will be present here, for both the humanoid and non humanoid mechs?

On that note, I wonder if the trope of mechs transforming into other vehicles like in Macross or Zeta Gundam will be present here, for both the humanoid and non humanoid mechs?
No, I'm not doing transforming or combining mechs like in Gundam or Macross. But some mechs might "fold up" like Xenoblade X ones do so they become wheeled vehicles. Others would just go the Knightmare Frame approach and deploy wheels for faster travel when needed.

Reactions:
No, I'm not doing transforming or combining mechs like in Gundam or Macross. But some mechs might "fold up" like Xenoblade X ones do so they become wheeled vehicles. Others would just go the Knightmare Frame approach and deploy wheels for faster travel when needed.
Fair enough, through I was surprised to learn Macross also had “space folding” FTL and a precursor civilization, so I wonder if that would inspire you?

Fair enough, through I was surprised to learn Macross also had “space folding” FTL and a precursor civilization, so I wonder if that would inspire you?
I haven't watched Macross yet, but maybe I'll think about it whenever I get around to it.

Reactions:
A Day of Ends and Beginnings, Part 3

Takomaan - 10:00 AM

“Wow!” Alexandra was like a giddy child in a candy store. She swung her flashlight around, its beam sweeping across the floor and walls so fast that the others could barely keep up. “Nobody’s been in here for thousands of years, until us! Isn’t that amazing? We’re the first ones to drop by since the original owners left!”

“One geeky scientist, a soldier who’s watched way too many horror movies, a country boy, and a scimitar-toting teenager with some strange political ideas?”

“Don’t forget that scientist’s equally geeky husband,” Alexandra replied.

Magnus rolled his eyes. “If any of the previous owners are haunting this place, I feel sorry for them.”

“H-Haunting?!” Leyla stammered. She swung her radar sensor around like a sword.

“Why do you still have that?” Samir asked. “We’re not scanning anything anymore.”

“I feel safer holding it!”

“Aren’t you a soldier?”

“Yes, but I never trained inside an abandoned ruin from a forgotten period of human history!”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this.” Whenever Alexandra found a new doorway, Gulichi went through first, rifle ready to go.

“Watch out for spikes!” Leyla replied.

“For the last time, there are no spikes!” Alexandra jotted down the new room in a map she had drawn in her notebook. “Even if there were, they probably wouldn’t work anymore. This place is out of power of all kinds.”

“Can’t we do something about it?” Gulichi asked. “It’s really dark in here.”

Magnus set down a glowstick. He had been leaving one in each room they passed through, pointing them in the direction of the door that would take them back to the entrance. “Unfortunately not. Even if we did have something compatible with their grid—assuming they had an electrical grid—the wiring would have long decayed or fallen apart.”

“So glowsticks are the best we can do?”

“We didn’t have room to take that many lamps with us.”

“AHA!” Alexandra suddenly stopped. “Jackpot!”

Everybody went over to Alexandra’s side. “What is it?” Magnus asked.

They had stopped in front of what seemed to be a vault door, larger and bulkier than the one outside. Alexandra focused her flashlight on a metal plaque bolted next to it. It had rusted and faded over the last few thousand years, and it felt brittle to the touch, but words were still legible, if barely. “Magnus, you got Mom’s notebook?”

Magnus dug around in his backpack and took out a notebook marked witih “Property of Angela Hansen—FOR TRUSTED EYES ONLY.” He then took out another one. “Got it here, as well as Aunt Diana’s book.” He gave them to Alexandra and took the flashlight, holding it up while Alexandra got to work.

“Uh…okay…let’s see…” The pages flew through Alexandra’s hands, her eyes scanning each entry for a possible match. “That over there is probably—pardon my pronunciation—skewhtis. I think that means ‘caution’ or ‘danger’ in this context.”

“I told you there was something dangerous down here!” Leyla jabbed the scanner at the door. “Gulichi, you wouldn’t want your village to get blown off the face of the map by a nuclear failsafe, would you?”

“Leyla, I doubt any nuke would still be able to go off after that long.” Gulichi kept his gun aimed at the door. “But I’ll shoot anything that’s waiting for us on the other side.”

“Don’t you guys think you’ve taken this too far?” Samir said. “We’re soldiers, damnit. We should act like them, instead of like scared kids.”

“Says the kid,” Magnus said.

“Next one…” Alexandra mimicked running her finger over the text, though she kept herself half an inch away from touching it out of safety concerns. “Uh…a lot of these words aren’t in the notes, but I got one of them. Slehbetor. Specifically Mom wrote down slehb- as something that relates to work or labor. Perhaps this is a…”

“Work camp? Prison?” Samir gripped the scimitar. “The ancients had their own Jerusalem?”

“No, no, no,” Alexandra said, “There’s a third word down here that Aunt Diana translated. Dahebhikos. From these two words, we get enough context. This is a place for work. As in a workplace or workshop.”

“Like a smith…or forge.” Magnus caught on quickly.

“Then why did they put the word for danger?” Leyla said. “Or maybe…”

“Perhaps whatever they were making was dangerous,” Gulichi said.

“Doesn’t have to be weapons,” Magnus said, “It could be like all those warning signs when you enter a construction area or factory. ‘Wear a hardhat’ and all that.”

“That’s true,” Alexandra said, “Anyways, let’s crack this door open! Samir, do the honors!”

She swished her hands, imitating a sword strike.

“I’m pretty sure this scimitar isn’t going to cut it,” Samir said, “We’re not going to get lucky with the lock again either.”

“Then how else are we going to open the door?” Magnus said.

“Step back.” Gulichi pointed his rifle at the doorknob. “I’m pretty sure a bullet will break the lock.”

“More likely to ricochet and kill one of us, at that range,” Leyla said, “Not wise.”

“Good point.”

“Alright, time for me to flex my skills, then!” Magnus approached the door. “Alexandra, the tablet. Leyla, the scanner.”

The two of them handed Magnus their devices. One hand held the tablet while the other waved the radar over the surface of the door. Gradually, a 3D image of the door’s inner workings appeared on the screen.

“Interesting,” he said, “The mechanism is mostly intact. If we can find the key, we could unlock it like any other door.”

“But who knows where the key is after so long?” Alexandra said. “It could be anywhere.”

“Maybe it’s with the village chief?” Leyla suggested.

“Why would he have it?”

“That’s how it works in the movies, right? Ancient knowledge is sealed away in a locked ruin, and the key is kept by some old elder who lives in the area who will only give it out to a worthy hero.”

“She’s got a point,” Magnus said, “It’s more likely to be him than anybody else.”

“Or it could be buried anywhere on the planet…or even off it,” Alexandra said.

Gulichi slung his rifle over his shoulder and began walking back to the entrance. “In any case, I’m going to take a boat back and ask the elder about it. You guys stay put.”

“Sure,” Magnus said, “We’ll be trying out some other solutions in the meantime.”

Baku - 9:00 AM

Refineries 6-9 fell within another twenty minutes. Now the fighting moved inland. The oil refineries and warehouses gave way to the suburbs of Turkan, on the eastern outskirts of Baku. Billy, Ruby, and several others had taken cover in the debris of an abandoned Starmarks coffee shop. But aside from the iconic and bullet-ridden sign that now lay on the roof, nothing else about the cafe was recognizable. The coffee machines had long been taken away by Jerusalem. The tables and chairs had been reduced to splinters that now dug into Ruby’s skin. The windows had been shredded by bullets, which kept zipping past her and tearing the already destroyed furniture even more. After the war, it would probably be entirely demolished. There was no saving it.

The enemy was dug in across the street, in what appeared to be a laundromat. They had a heavy machine gun with them that was currently laying down suppressive fire in her direction. Standing up would only turn her into bloody paste to spread over the destroyed cafe.

“We’re pinned down here!” Ruby radioed. “We need air support on that laundromat, over!”

“Negative,” the officer at base camp replied, “General Remmele’s got them tied up on the western side.”

Ruby disconnected. “Damnit! Why the hell does he keep all of the good stuff to himself?! Does he really want us to do this all by ourselves?”

“Perhaps,” Billy said.

“Should’ve known they’d start treating us like the Persians eventually. We’re not expendable.”

“He has his reasons,” Billy said, “But he could’ve at least spared a couple helicopters. Alright, we’ll improvise as always. Listen up, squad!”

Everybody turned in Billy’s direction. He took out a smoke grenade, then pointed to each fireteam.

“Fireteam Alpha, when I say ‘go’, I want you to lay down as much suppressive fire on the enemy position as you can. Fireteam Beta, you move a block down and set up in that store over there.” He pointed at an abandoned music records store on the opposite side of the street, two stores down from the laundromat. “From there, target the laundromat again. When you’re in place, I will move in with everybody else. Comprendre?

Verstanden!” “Compris!

Billy observed the enemy’s attack patterns for several seconds, identifying a pattern in the rate of fire. When the gunfire stopped as the enemy reloaded, he stood up. “Alpha, go!”

Alpha Team popped up and opened fire with their assault rifles, taking turns reloading to keep the pressure on the Crusaders. One Liberator fired his grenade launcher as fast as he could, almost like a makeshift low-power mortar which pounded away at the sidewalk in front of the laundromat. Billy then tossed the smoke grenade, using the exosuit’s increased power and targeting computer to drop it as close to the laundromat as possible. There was a small bang, and then white smoke spewed out, quickly covering the entire storefront.

“Beta, go!”

Let’s move out, Ruby thought. She ran as fast as she could across the street, feeling rubble and debris crunching and shifting under her boots. For a second, she thought she could hear the crinkling leaves and cracking branches of the Ecouves Forest outside Alençon. But there were no roots to trip her, no loose and gently sloping soil to throw off her balance. This was just a street like any other. Much easier than anything Mother Nature could throw at her. All of the tricks she had learned to stay on her feet during Alençon’s ill-fated rebellion now helped her avoid the worst of the debris here, while so many other of her comrades tripped or got their feet stuck.

Before she knew it, she had reached the records store and took cover inside. Once she had calmed herself and memorized her surroundings, she peered down the street at the laundromat. The Crusaders had withdrawn inside to escape the smoke and grenade barrage. The advantage was theirs.

“All teams, charge!” Billy shouted.

Everybody advanced on the laundromat. Their grenades entered the store first—flashbangs, followed by regular explosives. The washers and dryers inside burst into flames and collapsed like dominos, falling on top of screaming Crusaders. As the conflagration spread, the Liberation Legion entered. Ruby and several others took a knee, raised their rifles, and fired. She kept her finger on the trigger until her rifle clicked, having spent all of its ammo. Everybody on her line also ran out. But that was the plan. While they changed their magazines, Billy and the rest of the squad took up positions behind them and fired. The laundromat in front of them erupted in a hailstorm of torn metal, sparks from exposed wiring, and fire. The remaining Crusaders stood no chance. Ruby could only see them writhing in agony and struggling in vain to unpin themselves from the remains of the washers and dryers as fire ate away at their clothes and flesh.

“Cease fire!” Billy said. “Fall back!”

They retreated to a safe distance as the fire spread and consumed the entire store, then started spreading to the neighboring ones.

Deu meu,” Ruby said, “Yep, they’re all dead. Good riddance.”

“Hostiles neutralized,” Billy said, “Let’s move on to the next objective.”

---

“Hostiles sighted. Enemy roughly matches the specs of the target armored battalion.”

“Enemy unit confirmed by sight. One battalion of Augustins.”

Erhalten. Permission to engage?”

“Granted. Weapons free.”

“Commencing assault. Engaging.”

The attack on Baku was a three-pronged offensive along the major highways leading into the city. While tank divisions also attacked off the road, the exiles’ main firepower was concentrated on those three highways. Sumqayit in the north and Mushvugabad in the center were quickly secured. The former covered the exiles’ northern flank. Mushvugabad put downtown Baku within artillery and airstrike range, tying up reinforcements that would have gone to Sumqayit. But the southern prong, the coastal town of Qaradagh, posed a problem. It was home to many additional oil refineries, giving it a higher value to both sides than Sumqayit and Mushvugabad. The exiles’ advance here was stalled, unable to push as fast as the other two prongs. That left it open to a counterattack and made it a weak point in the entire offensive.

The Crusader counterattack consisted of a full-strength armored battalion of M1s. High Command had given them standby orders until a sufficient gap had opened in between the Musvugabad and Sumqayit lines. After the disaster of April 2, Jerusalem found itself with a dangerous shortage of modern weapons on all fronts, and its military-industrial complex was unable to make up the losses. Turned into a glass house of cards by Theodor’s deregulation and cronyism and hollowed out by Moria’s purges and conscription, it had now collapsed under its own weight. Nothing useful was being produced anymore, if there was anybody to make it. While Elias Anhorn and Theodor Tesla at least tried to keep skilled workers around for their war machine, Moria didn’t care if they knew how to build a tank. His definition of a heretic kept expanding to target more and more people. When nobody was left to work the assembly lines, the supply chain broke down. Crusaders were forced to improvised. Captured military bases were now found full of dismantled vehicles and aircraft, cannibalized for spare parts that couldn’t be manufactured anymore. Many enemy tanks at Sumqayit or Musvugabad were M60 Lorenzes or M48 Hugos from the Cold War, having been hastily pulled out of storage or museums to replace Operation Gaugamela’s losses. The M1s before them were a rare sight, and their crews barely knew how to drive and fire. Jerusalem lost most of its experienced and combat-tested crews in Gaugamela, leaving only new recruits and conscripts for Baku’s defenses.

As these inexperienced crews awaited the order to attack, Börte gave them no time to wait. A sudden clang rang out as an artillery shell tore through the engine of one of the Augustins and then detonated its fuel tanks, incinerating the hunk of metal and its half-awake crew inside. The nearby crews shot awake. Spotters connected their computers to nearby Kathartes drones, directing them to find the direction the shell had come from. As they did, one drone’s signal cut out. It was initially written off as a connection error. But when the second drone disappeared, and the third, and then the entire cluster, the spotters realized what was happening. By then, the Roman M1s were already half a mile away and closing. Half of the crews started their engines, while the other half refused to do anything due to not receiving any orders yet. It made no difference. They were both equally helpless against the subsequent cannon volley, which obliterated all of the Jerusalemite M1s.

“Suppression of targets complete.”

Erhalten. A job well done, all of you.” Börte leaned back in her chair. Just two months ago, she had hated it when Mozaffar forced her into commanding tank assaults. She was trained to command infantry and cavalry. Tanks weren’t her specialty. But now she had no choice but to learn. And learn she did. “Your next objective is to reinforce the Qaradagh front. Enemy composition estimated to be mainly M48s and infantry.”

“Hugos?” The commander on the other end laughed. “We can take those.”

“I’m sure you can.”

As Börte listened to the commander relaying his orders to the rest of the crews, Gebhard walked in with two cups of coffee. “Hey, would you like some coffee?”

“Sure?” Börte took one of them and drank. The hot and bittersweet taste of coffee warmed her core. “Ahhhh, that hit the spot. Really needed that.”

“Me too.” Gebhard sipped from his cup.

“One question, though. Weren’t you drinking coffee earlier? So why’d you get two more cups? I thought we were rationing the beans.”

“I thought you needed it,” Gebhard said, “And I thought it would be my way of apologizing. For what happened earlier.”

“Don’t worry about it, Gebhard,” Börte said, “This morning’s been really stressful so far. We both have strong convictions, so it was inevitable we’d butt heads at some point. It’s not something I want to dwell on. Our job is to save twenty thousand civilians, no matter our personal disagreements.”

“So…I’ll take that as an apology accepted?”

Börte took another sip. “You can take it that way.”

Ulm - 7:00 AM

With the facility secured and the enemy’s reinforcements still not showing up, a quiet ambience fell over the situation room. The computers tracked the progress of the upload and rollout of Heinrich’s configuration to the entire Panopticon network. Other officers continued monitoring the area around the facility, staying on the lookout for those reinforcements.

Heinrich, Frederica, and Sigmund decided to take a break and get food from the nearby cafeteria. They didn’t serve much. All of the good restaurants had either been shut down or had their cooks executed or conscripted. So they had to settle for military rations from Heinrich’s faction. Sigmund complained about how tasteless they were, and so did Heinrich, but for Frederica, it was the best meal she had in years. Sigmund could only stare as she wolfed down the rations. Heinrich ate slowly and with deliberation, trying to put on an air of refinement for his soldiers.

“So,” Sigmund said, “The end’s in sight. Once the network’s in our hands, Moria’s done for.”

“Don’t be so sure of it,” Heinrich said, “It’s 400 miles between here and Berlin, and there’d be plenty of troops without P’s. It’ll be a long slog even with the network on our side.”

“Even with it on our side…” Frederica said. “Hmmm…”

“Got an idea, dear?” Sigmund asked.

“I was thinking…what if we used it for a little bit before then?”

Heinrich and Sigmund stared at her. “What.”

“No, no, I’m not going to keep it!” Frederica said. “It’ll be just as we agreed. The network will still go down. But perhaps we could use it for a few hours before we pull the plug—”

“Absolutely not.” Heinrich shot it down immediately. “I will not use a weapon that takes away autonomy and free will.”

“But we could—”

“Make those 400 miles more convenient? At the cost of enslaving thousands of Crusaders? No. That’s unacceptable.”

“But—”

“That’s my final answer. End of story.”

“Frederica…” Sigmund put his hand over hers. “We shouldn’t give in to the temptation.”

“You’re right,” Frederica said, “Sorry. It’s just that after being powerless for so long…I wanted some power of my own. They stuffed me in a house, buried my achievements, took away my job, and stole everything from me. Part of me wants to return the favor.”

“I can’t say we don’t deserve it,” Heinrich said, “But leave the Panopticons out of it. Using them only leads to more pain. You can get your revenge another way.”

A soldier ran up to them and saluted. “General Dandolo, sir!”

“At ease. What is it?”

“We’re picking up some irregularities with the upload. A few data packets got corrupted.”

“But we expected some data loss.” From the computers in Ulm, they would download the data for the takeover command to Ludolf’s Panopticon. It would then upload the transmission to the Frankfurt servers. As a result, some data corruption was bound to happen, but they had anticipated that and sent backups as well. “It shouldn’t be too much.”

“It might take some time to upload the backups. We’re estimating another half hour delay.”

“That’s fine. We have time.”

“Also, Moria’s started moving against us.”

“How many?”

“Uh…” The soldier’s hesitation told it all.

Heinrich quickly finished what was left of his rations, as did Sigmund. Frederica was already done.

“Break’s over,” Heinrich said, “Let’s get back to work.”

Frankfurt

While the rest of the Crusaders and rebels had went back to the surface to prepare for Moria’s inevitable counterattack, Binar and Ludolf stayed down in the server room. Ludolf had to remain near the server to maintain a good connection, while Binar had orders to keep an eye on him. Officially, she was supposed to shoot him if it appeared Heinrich was uploading something suspicious to the servers, but nothing was showing up on her tablet.

“So.” Ludolf didn’t seem to be expecting her to say anything. He cracked an eye open and sat up to face her. “I guess it still uploads even if you’re asleep?”

“I think so,” Ludolf said, “They used to download updates and patches all the time in my sleep.”

“Damn, and my computer always pauses everything when I put it to sleep,” Binar said, “Not that I have it anymore.”

“What happened to it?”

Binar sighed. “You guys took it from me, along with everything I had. Though I wouldn’t expect a rank-and-file German like you to know. That’s how we got into this mess.”

“I…you’re right. I didn’t know.”

“None of you knew what was going on with the rest of us. None of you cared about what was happening to the country until it directly affected you. By then it was too late.”

“I thought I was helping save the country and myself at the same time.”

“Save the country?” Binar laughed. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” She swaved at the servers and at their guns. “Look at us! This is what you’ve done! Some saving this is.”

“Not like I knew any better,” Ludolf said.

Knew any better? Was there more to this man than just another Crusader? “Who were you? Before, I mean.”

Ludolf didn’t want to meet Binar’s eyes. He looked at the floor in shame. “Nobody special. Just a run of the mill guy stuck in a dead-end factory job in some random town you never heard of. Factory went poof because the owners decided it was cheaper to outsource to North Eimerica. Shepherds’ Brotherhood found me on the street. Told me the problem was with the career politicians and their donors in Berlin, and they had a solution that would get me and others like me a job. I had nothing to lose, so I took it.”

“You may not have had anything to lose, but many of us did,” Binar said.

“How about you? Who were you before?”

Binar borrowed a few of Ludolf’s words. “Nobody special. My dad was a doctor. Mom helped out at the mosque. Studied hard to get into college and pay for my little brother’s medical expenses. Four months after starting freshman year, the Reichstag gets shot up. The universities were shut down not long afterward. Then they took away my bank account and credit card. Before long, my family and I were being shipped off to a camp. I got out. But not them.”

“I…” Ludolf couldn’t say anything.

“What are you going to say? I’m sorry? That’s terrible? No, you wouldn’t have known. My mom was worked to death doing hard labor she never did in her life. My dad tried to treat another inmate’s broken leg and was shot by Home Guardians. I watched my brother slowly die painfully after they took his medicine away. His body spasmed uncontrollably. He kept vomiting foam. His blood-red eyes rolled up into his head. By the end, all he could do was twitch and scream. ‘It hurts, it hurts!’ he kept saying. But the only thing the Home Guardians did was watch and laugh. Some of them even took smoke breaks, using him as an ashtray. Others took bets on how long he would last. It took eight days, by the way. I remember the moment the light left his eyes and I heard him take his last breath. But the thing I remember most is the cheers from the Home Guardians as they paid out the winner. The stack of thalers they gave him was nothing like I’d ever seen before. That was my brother’s life, reduced to a wad of cash. I don’t know how I got out of the camp and met up with my rebel cell. Did it matter in the end? They all died too. Because of your people, I lost everybody in my life twice over.”

Ludolf sat quietly, unable to say anything.

“So I suppose that’s who I was,” Binar said, “Not that it matters. Same with you. Our pasts feel like forever ago and for different people. I barely recognize who I am now compared to nine years ago.”

“Then I suppose we’re the same in that regard.”

“Normally I’d say we’re completely different…but you’re right.” With nothing else to do, Binar casually tapped against the wall. “Our pasts are unrecognizable to us in the present. So why not try to build a future free of that?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, the war’s going to end soon,” Binar said, “400 miles between here and Berlin. We march in, shoot Moria, and then what?”

“Then I suppose General Dandolo seizes power as the sole Regent.”

Binar doubted that. Surely Frederica would have a contingency in mind to prevent a continuation of Jerusalem under Heinrich. Or someone else would step in. Like what remained of the UN. Perhaps Wilhelmina would return, though she was probably dead like the rest of the Hohenzollerns. Even occupation by a foreign military—most likely Persia’s—was acceptable. Anything was preferable to Jerusalem’s continued existence. “I meant for yourself.”

“Me?” Ludolf thought for a moment. “No, I don’t think I ever thought of that. I’ve been with the Shepherds’ Brotherhood and then the Crusaders for…probably over a decade now. I’ve known no other life.”

“Well, you should start planning. Once the war ends, there will be no need for fighting. No need for Crusaders and rebels.”

“General Dandolo’s new government will need a military.”

“Perhaps,” Binar said, “But let me put it another way. Neither of us is suited for fighting.”

“Come again?”

Binar kept tapping the wall. “You may have a decade of experience, but you’re not made out for war same as I am. We were only forced onto the battlefield because of our circumstances. Once those circumstances disappear, so will our battlefield. So it’s best that you figure out what you want to do with your life after the war.”

“Have you thought about it?” Ludolf asked.

“A little. I’d like to try going back to college and finishing my career.”

“Isn’t college a waste of time?” She wasn’t surprised Ludolf would say that, given his background.

“Depends on what you’re looking to get out of it.”

“I thought you went to college to pay for your brother’s medical expenses. Isn’t he dead?”

“Even so…” Binar kept tapping. “I want to at least finish my degree, in his name. It’s what he would have wanted. You probably wouldn’t understand. Anyways, give your future some thought, would you?”

“I’ll think about it.” Ludolf laid down again. “Not like I have anything better to do.”

At that moment, Binar’s finger hit a hidden button. She heard a click, and a compartment in the wall opened up, startling both of them. Ludolf grabbed his gun and aimed at the compartment. Thinking he was aiming at her, Binar pointed her gun at him. “No sudden moves!”

“I’m not aiming at you!”

Binar looked at the compartment. It was a small storage space at about shoulder level. Inside was a cylindrical device about the size of a large computer, with some ports for cables to plug in. “Huh, this wasn’t on the floor plan.”

“Must be another server,” Ludolf said, “But it’s not plugged in or anything. Probably a backup unit that was never installed. Or maybe it’s a storage device. A data core or something.”

“Looks like no storage device I’ve seen before.”

“Why don’t we take it back to Ulm with us?” Ludolf said. “We can analyze it there.”

“Sure.” Binar picked up the data core and set it down next to her gear. “Once we’re done here, I guess we’ll take a look at whatever’s stored in here.”

Ludolf’s radio crackled. “Commander, we have contact!” It was Moritz.

“What is it?” Ludolf replied.

“We’ve got troops up the main road! About half a mile out!”

“How many?”

“Uh…” Moritz cursed. “Oh, damnit. Worse than I expected.”

“What do you mean?”

“We got one platoon, maybe 50 Kreuzies.”

“That’s not too bad.”

“That’s not all. I’m estimating…150 individuals total?”

“Let me see that.” Binar tapped on her tablet and brought up security camera footage of outside. She gasped when she saw the enemy and its tactics. The fifty attacking Crusaders were arranged in a line around the street leading up to the facility. Civilians—identified by their drab clothes—were forced to walk in front of each Crusader at gunpoint. Each Crusader had at least two civilians to use as human shields.

“How do they expect to take back the data center with only fifty guys and no armor or air support?” Ludolf said.

Binar shrugged. “Lack of information on our own numbers? Still thinking we’re fighting the drones in here? Or maybe they’re just stupid.”

“Surely they were trained with better tactics.”

“Maybe they weren’t trained,” Binar said, “Or they didn’t have time. Gaugamela took out too many of their veteran soldiers. The new troops they conscripted probably haven’t seen real combat.”

“Which is why they’re relying on their human shields to take some of our shots.”

“What the hell is wrong with these people?”

Ludolf addressed Moritz again. “Moritz, fire off a warning shot. We might be able to scare them away and buy ourselves more time.”

“Yes, sir.”

Binar continued watching the security camera footage. One of the allied Crusaders, from his position on the roof, fired a shot at the enemy formation. The “warning shot,” though, went straight through the forehead of one of the civilians. The others’ faces immediately filled with panic. Some turned around and began pleading with the Crusaders. Others refused to keep walking. A few even grabbed their captors’ guns. Soon the enemy formation had descended into chaos.

Just when Binar was about to rationalize the warning shot as a mistake, Ludolf gave the order. “Leave no survivors, Crusader or otherwise. Hellhounds, move to intercept.”

As the Crusaders opened fire on the civilians, so did Ludolf’s men on both the enemy Crusaders and their hostages. Finally, the allied Hellhounds descended upon them and got to work. Binar stopped hearing any gunshots, only the screams of the dying as they were brutally hacked apart. She stepped away from the computer and leaned against one of the servers, collecting her thoughts. For all of Ludolf’s words, Binar found it hard to sympathize with him.

For a brief moment, she thought she could hear her brother screaming out for his medicine.

Isfahan - 10:00 AM

The cell remained quiet. Alex leaned against the wall, conserving his energy. The worst thing about being stuck here was not that he was going to be executed soon, but that he was completely bored. He cracked open one of his eyes. Angelica was also leaning against the wall, eyes closed. Probably felt just as bored.

He decided to make some small talk. “Hey, so…wonder what’s going on outside.”

Angelica looked at the door. “It’s awfully quiet outside.”

“No, I meant outside. Like what’s happening everywhere else.”

A shrug from the older woman. Though she’s only a few years older than me. “Hell if I know.”

“You could still watch the news, right?”

“Most of the channels and papers are starting to sound like the ones back home. You know, when Jerusalem took them over.”

“And those that don’t?”

“Given less information and coverage. So they’re as in the dark as we are.”

Alex sighed. “You know, Persia sounds more and more authoritarian every time I ask.”

“It’s not only because of the propaganda,” Angelica said, “Satellites are down, many countries have been fully destroyed, and China and Jerusalem have sealed themselves off. From a global communications standpoint, that is. It’s hard to get world news these days.”

“Like the days before the Internet, I guess.” Alex had only known the world after the Internet, but his parents had shared stories of what it was like before everybody was online. It sounded like a completely different world. Payphones? Pagers? Dial-up? Paper encyclopedias? Many of those things were foreign to him. “Used to be I could chat with someone on the other side of the world in real time. Get to know what things are like in Penglai and Mali and Turkestan. All that information was there at the touch of a button. Now it’s gone. I’m left in the dark again.”

“After decades of growing smaller, the world’s getting bigger again,” Angelica said.

“It wouldn’t be so maddening if I at least knew how Thea was doing,” Alex said, “Is her condition getting better? What about the others? Did they find somewhere to stay? Have they even decided on a destination? Is Persia still going after them? They must be going through hell.”

“You ask me, they’re the lucky ones.”

“Lucky?” Alex said. “They’re wandering the wilderness like the Jews after the Exodus. Thea still can’t walk, but she’s forced to wander like the rest of them, far from any hospitals.”

“Would you rather she get treated like a pig in human form here? As they called us earlier.” Angelica pointed outside. “I’m sure Thea will figure something out. Julian, on the other hand…”

“Still bitter?”

“More like I still don’t know why he did this. Let me get captured.”

“I don’t know either,” Alex said, “And at this point, it’s useless to figure it out. What we should focus on is either accepting our coming deaths…or getting out.”

“We can’t get out,” Angelica said, “It’s only the two of us in a heavily guarded prison.”

“Exactly.”

“Unless Julian sends someone to rescue us.”

“He probably has someone on the way,” Alex said, “If so, we should save our energy. No use wasting it on failed escape attempts.”

Angelica sighed. “I can’t believe it. I never thought I’d die like this.”

“How did you think you’d die?”

“Of old age, after passing on my recipes of Alençon pastries to my apprentices. You?”

“Surrounded by my family after making lots of money selling commercialized fusion reactors and starting another Industrial Revolution.” Alex drew some stares from Angelica. He shrugged. “I know we said we were working on this for altruistic reasons, but some cash would be nice.”

“You’d probably still need to use dinars,” Angelica said. “You know how much a burger costs in thalers? 2300. Rupees? 3000. Hryvnia? Nobody accepts that anymore.”

“The world’s going to look very different once the dust settles,” Alex said, “Sad we’re not going to see it.”

“Thanks a lot, Mozaffar. I’d like to punch him in the face for that.”

“I’m sure Julian is ready to do that himself,” Alex said.

“You really think he can still pull it off?” Angelica asked. “Even after I failed?”

“Contingencies upon contingencies, remember?” Alex said. “He’ll pull through in the end. That’s the only thing that matters once it’s over.”

“Even if we don’t see it?”

“Yes.”

Angelica closed her eyes again. “As long as we still win in the end, then I’ll hold on to a little hope.”

---

“Hand me the scalpel.”

“Here.”

“Get ready to stem more bleeding. I’m going to start cutting deeper.”

It had been about two hours since they started the surgery. Josh was still conscious, but he had been fitted with a ventilator that prevented him from saying anything other than grunts. He had stopped struggling against the restraints a while ago, but Mozaffar could still feel the murderous intent radiating from him.

“I’m surprised it’s going well,” he said.

“That’s thanks to our new friend here!” Parviz patted Theodor’s shoulder. “It might take a while, but we’ll get that implant out.”

“Then we can move on to the fun part,” Theodor said, “Extracting the data.”

Mozaffar didn’t want to look at his former enemy. No matter what Parviz said, he could only see Theodor Tesla as the enemy he was on April 2. He didn’t even want to acknowledge his presence next to him right now. Why was Persia treating him as an ally and hero after what he did? Why was Parviz laughing and patting him on the back like they were old friends? It sickens me. How low can we stoop?

“Who cares about this monster?” Mozaffar put as much venom into his words as he could. “Pathetic scum like him is below me. We should leave it to the docs. My gala awaits me.”

“You’re welcome to step out if you want,” Parviz said, “But we’ve got nothing else scheduled until after lunch.”

“That’s fine. I’ll take anything over this boredom.”

“What, you’re scared of blood?” Theodor imitated a chicken flapping its wings and clucking. “You’re scared of watching the worst man in the world get what he deserves?”

“I spent the last two hours watching him get what he deserves, and frankly he should get more,” Mozaffar said, “But it’s gotten boring. You want to watch, be my guest. I need to get some coffee.”

Before they could respond, Mozaffar left the observation room. Nah, I don’t feel like drinking coffee.

Exiting into the lobby, his bodyguards met him at the door. “Sir, is there a problem?”

“No, not at all,” Mozaffar said, “I’m going to take a walk around the block.”

“Let us escort you.”

“No, no, you need to keep the Vice Chancellor and his guest safe. I’m not going far anyways.”

“Uh…I don’t think that’s safe, sir.”

“Well, it’s an order, and you will obey!” Mozaffar raised his voice and spoke sternly, like Abbas used to do when he needed to get a point across.

“Y-Yes sir!” The bodyguards saluted and stepped aside, letting him leave the hospital. As soon as he stepped outside, Mozaffar stretched out his arms and took in the morning sun and the crisp cold air. The sky was clear, but the blue was slightly tainted with brown and gray—fallout from the recent nuclear attacks Jerusalem had committed against itself. Weather forecasters predicted it wouldn’t be as bad as last November’s worldwide nuclear attacks, but it wouldn’t go unnoticed. The last month didn’t feel like the beginning of summer. He had to wear a coat every day. Farmers in agricultural regions were complaining the conditions still weren’t ideal for planting crops. Mozaffar feared the current food stockpiles wouldn’t be enough. Not that he could do much about it, with Parviz’s nationalism taking over the administration’s platform. The most he could do was take a walk and hope for something to happen before it was too late.

Otherwise, we’re going to have a reckoning of our own.

---

Yeah, I decided to switch over the Reich’s currency from mark to thaler moving forward.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Magnus rolled his eyes. “If any of the previous owners are haunting this place, I feel sorry for them.”
Its funny. Even though I hate scary movies I recently saw the trailer for Alien: Romulus and saw the summary on Wikipedia and it said "Set between the events of Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), the story concerns a group of young space colonizers, while scavenging the deep ends of a derelict space station, coming face to face with the most terrifying life form in the universe.". This got me thinking that the current Yavdi arc would be prefect for a Xenomorph to pop out.

For a second, she thought she could hear the crinkling leaves and cracking branches of the Ecouves Forest outside Alençon. But there were no roots to trip her, no loose and gently sloping soil to throw off her balance. This was just a street like any other.
Thankful for small mercies.

Ruby and several others took a knee, raised their rifles, and fired. She kept her finger on the trigger until her rifle clicked, having spent all of its ammo.
I know in one of the previous comments I said that some of Persia's modern history could be inspired from OTL's Turkey and Israel so I was thinking that the weapons' from small arms, armor, etc, etc could be based off of the designs from those countries as well?

Speaking of with the Legion being treated like Spearhead I would not be surprised if the Legion is given old G3 rifles and the "army" being given new rifles based off of the latest model of OTL's Turkish MKE MPT or Israeli IWI Tavor?

The Crusader counterattack consisted of a full-strength armored battalion of M1s. High Command had given them standby orders until a sufficient gap had opened in between the Musvugabad and Sumqayit lines. After the disaster of April 2, Jerusalem found itself with a dangerous shortage of modern weapons on all fronts, and its military-industrial complex was unable to make up the losses. Turned into a glass house of cards by Theodor’s deregulation and cronyism and hollowed out by Moria’s purges and conscription, it had now collapsed under its own weight. Nothing useful was being produced anymore, if there was anybody to make it. While Elias Anhorn and Theodor Tesla at least tried to keep skilled workers around for their war machine, Moria didn’t care if they knew how to build a tank. His definition of a heretic kept expanding to target more and more people. When nobody was left to work the assembly lines, the supply chain broke down. Crusaders were forced to improvised. Captured military bases were now found full of dismantled vehicles and aircraft, cannibalized for spare parts that couldn’t be manufactured anymore. Many enemy tanks at Sumqayit or Musvugabad were M60 Lorenzes or M48 Hugos from the Cold War, having been hastily pulled out of storage or museums to replace Operation Gaugamela’s losses. The M1s before them were a rare sight, and their crews barely knew how to drive and fire. Jerusalem lost most of its experienced and combat-tested crews in Gaugamela, leaving only new recruits and conscripts for Baku’s defenses.
This reminds me of the Imperium of Man in were they can only preserve tech and not build it.

Binar doubted that. Surely Frederica would have a contingency in mind to prevent a continuation of Jerusalem under Heinrich. Or someone else would step in. Like what remained of the UN. Perhaps Wilhelmina would return, though she was probably dead like the rest of the Hohenzollerns. Even occupation by a foreign military—most likely Persia’s—was acceptable. Anything was preferable to Jerusalem’s continued existence.
I wonder if it will be similar to the Hunger Games in were (Spoilers) TTL's Katniss will shoot Heinrich/Coin in the head instead of Moria/Snow (Moria would be killed by the crowd like Snow was)?

Yeah, I decided to switch over the Reich’s currency from mark to thaler moving forward.
Makes sense due to the thaler being around during the HRE and the mark not being around until the 1800's but I feel like you could still use the mark to symbolize a currency reform between the HRE and the Reich?

I also wondered if Persia is like San Magnolia in that (86 Spoilers) any Roman who survives in other units will be transferred to the Liberation Legion like the 86 are with Spearhead or if it has something like the Honorary Britannian System?

Binar doubted that. Surely Frederica would have a contingency in mind to prevent a continuation of Jerusalem under Heinrich. Or someone else would step in. Like what remained of the UN. Perhaps Wilhelmina would return, though she was probably dead like the rest of the Hohenzollerns. Even occupation by a foreign military—most likely Persia’s—was acceptable. Anything was preferable to Jerusalem’s continued existence. “I meant for yourself.”
So I take it news of Persia's xenophobic direction and the ethnic cleansing it just committed hasn't reached Europe yet, because if anything Persian military occupation would be the worst post Jerusalem option there is, no better than Jerusalem for sure.

Since you compared Dolores Dei from Disco Elysium to Saint Wilhelmina before, I wonder if there's anything from that game you could use in your writing? I could see Revachol vibes working for either post WW3 Russia or even the post Jerusalem Reich if we go with the idea of the UN directly administering the Reich like the Moralitern and deporting Germans. Come to think of it, IBO influences would probably fit this idea as well.

Its funny. Even though I hate scary movies I recently saw the trailer for Alien: Romulus and saw the summary on Wikipedia and it said "Set between the events of Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), the story concerns a group of young space colonizers, while scavenging the deep ends of a derelict space station, coming face to face with the most terrifying life form in the universe.". This got me thinking that the current Yavdi arc would be prefect for a Xenomorph to pop out.
Reading that summary, it sounds like another take on Alien Isolation. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Xenomorph or a facehugger egg hiding somewhere.
Thankful for small mercies.
Better watch out for rubble and debris though.
I know in one of the previous comments I said that some of Persia's modern history could be inspired from OTL's Turkey and Israel so I was thinking that the weapons' from small arms, armor, etc, etc could be based off of the designs from those countries as well?
I'll probably use photos from the Turkish or Israeli militaries if I want to show pictures of the Persian army in the gameplay chapter.
Speaking of with the Legion being treated like Spearhead I would not be surprised if the Legion is given old G3 rifles and the "army" being given new rifles based off of the latest model of OTL's Turkish MKE MPT or Israeli IWI Tavor?
Maybe they're already using older gear. Which would be funny because Billy has a state-of-the-art exosuit.
This reminds me of the Imperium of Man in were they can only preserve tech and not build it.
That will be like how modern humans handle ancient human technology at the moment. If they find something that works, they'll be able to figure out how to maintain it, but they won't be able to build more of it for a while.
I wonder if it will be similar to the Hunger Games in were
You'll have to keep reading to find out.
Makes sense due to the thaler being around during the HRE and the mark not being around until the 1800's but I feel like you could still use the mark to symbolize a currency reform between the HRE and the Reich?
Or as an alternate name.
I also wondered if Persia is like San Magnolia in that (86 Spoilers)
No, that's not going to be the case for Persia.
So I take it news of Persia's xenophobic direction and the ethnic cleansing it just committed hasn't reached Europe yet, because if anything Persian military occupation would be the worst post Jerusalem option there is, no better than Jerusalem for sure.
Or maybe it has, and Binar doesn't care any longer because she is experiencing Jerusalem's brutality right now and anything else, even another flavor of authoritarianism, would look appealing by virtue of not being Jerusalem.
Since you compared Dolores Dei from Disco Elysium to Saint Wilhelmina before, I wonder if there's anything from that game you could use in your writing? I could see Revachol vibes working for either post WW3 Russia or even the post Jerusalem Reich if we go with the idea of the UN directly administering the Reich like the Moralitern and deporting Germans. Come to think of it, IBO influences would probably fit this idea as well.
It could, though there isn't much I could take from Disco Elysium that isn't already going to pop up naturally like discussions of political ideologies and economic systems. IBO stuff is planned in the future but mainly in minor details like technology.

Reactions:
Maybe they're already using older gear. Which would be funny because Billy has a state-of-the-art exosuit.
A few things about that.

1. When we get to the Stellaris part of the story (2100 to whenever you feel like ending it) are you going to do the trope of making every Sci Fi gun a bullpup?

2. I figure we still have a long way to go before we move away from ballistic firearms and I fell like it wont be until the last two chapters of Stellaris before we get them but will there be energy weapons'?

3. I feel like what we can do between the end of ballistic and start of energy weapons' is to do what they do in the Code Geass universe which according to the Wikia says this: "Unlike real-world firearms, those found in the world of Code Geass do not use gunpowder as an ammunition propellant, eliminating the need for brass casings; instead they operate by using a strong electromagnetic pulse to fire bullets." this type of mechanism reminds me of the H&K G11.

This is what the development of guns in their TTL was like.
1711063157337.png

This is the G11

It could, though there isn't much I could take from Disco Elysium that isn't already going to pop up naturally like discussions of political ideologies and economic systems. IBO stuff is planned in the future but mainly in minor details like technology.
When ever I saw the ending of IBO (IBO Spoilers) I felt like its ending would be perfect for this Arc in that at first it was like "the bad guys always win" to "one step forward two steps back" and based on IBO it could be "the heroes lose but the enemy carries out their ideals."?

Reactions:
You've got to have your morals; using the Panopticons for any reason at this stage isn't the right play.