The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Before reading the post that @CaptainAlvious made I thought you were using Dune as a reference for the sword fighting since I did not know that LOGH also used them.
Axes and power armor are used in LOGH. I do know the HTE makes use of personal shields later on in conjunction with the above mentioned weapons and full on lightsabers and I brought that up to Zen in a PM thread, so perhaps Zen could take inspiration from Dune or Halo style personal shields later on in Stellaris.
Yeah, that was primarily a LOGH reference because Dragoon heavily drew from it in the later stages of DEA. I’ll think about expanding on personal shields later on in Stellaris.
Does this mean that the autoritter's can use something like the knightmare wheels and walk like a "traditional" mech?
Yes. The wheels were designed for high mobility in urban areas (within the habitats) and relatively flat terrain. But a “walking mode” is required for traversing the rougher parts of the Martian surface. It’s possible that later models might replace the wheels with rocket hoverjets like the mobile suits in Gundam, but the technology hasn’t gotten there yet.
That is something that I always wondered about mechs in that any anti-personnel weapons' that they have would essentially be automatic grenade launcher's or rpg's.
I imagine that most mechs, at least in this setting, would have built-in anti-personnel weapons like machine guns and lower power rockets and mines. But then they would be additionally customized with higher power anti-vehicle weapons depending on the needs of the campaign.
This got me wondering why the mechs in TTL are called "autoritter" since according to Google Translate it is "author knight" in English?
The full name in German is Autonomer Panzerriter, or “autonomous armored knight,” which is inspired by the official name of the Knightmare Frames. I mentioned it in Part 4 of this arc. While I had first started work on the Annionaverse Mars story, I was actually considering using autopanzer as the shortened casual name, but since panzer is a bit overused in military settings that vaguely involve German culture, I went with autoritter.
I am curious as to who Papadopoulos is now. Does this mean that he is married to Clara and if so who is the "other women"?
No, he’s more of a father figure to Clara and Dorothy. Clara is the counterpart of the Hohenzollernverse Clara we’ve seen in the main story before.
He’s strongly implied to be Demetrios, I think Papadopoulos was always his last name. In short, he was Angela’s love interest who had an affair behind her back. He died protecting Angela in the Hohenzollernvere in the 90s, but survived and married Angela in the Annionaverse until his affair was discovered after Annionaverse and Hohenzollernverse Angela swapped places. So yeah, he definitely isn’t married to Clara as he’s older than her by a couple decades.
Clara is not attracted to men in either universe, to say nothing of the age gap.
Makes me think of Star Wars and how all of their battles were influenced by those in the "Age of Sail" as well.
I did say my interpretation of DEA was going to take heavily from Star Wars and other soft sci-fi/science fantasy as opposed to the harder sci-fi of the Hohenzollernverse.
I looked up the name Ar Morlaer Rouanez but could not find out anything about her.
She’s an Annionaverse character, a Breton queen from EU4 whose privateering led to her being called the Pirate Queen. Originally I was going to settle for just translating it into French, but last weekend I decided to dig through some Breton-English dictionaries to find an approximate translation in the correct language. Again, I’m not sure about the grammar.
Since it was discussed that he is based off of Lelouch when he is Emperor of Britannia this makes me wonder if Annionaverse Julius was ever exiled like Lelouch and Nunnally were or if he stayed a part of the Imperial Family?
Julius’ only sibling is Eva, and since Eva was elevated to the throne at the end of IH he wouldn’t have been exiled because he would be the next in line. However, the power struggle that led to Eva being crowned led to a rift with their other cousins, ultimately leading into the nuclear war.
Also what was his relationship with his father and was it similar to the one Lelouch had with Charles?
Looking at Imperial Hearts, it appears his parents were out of the picture when the succession crisis happened.

Claudius' children had died and his grandchildren were the ones now vying for the throne.

In addition, Claudius died in 2016, while the final war was in 2018.
Julius was an infant when he escaped Mars with Angelica during the Rapture, so there isn’t much to he said here I think.
Which seems to conflict with my findings above. However, I could fudge the numbers a bit. Claudius dies in late 2016. His youngest and last surviving son dies shortly afterward before he can be declared the heir, leaving behind a pregnant wife and Eva. After a succession crisis lasting several months, Eva is crowned the new empress. Julian is born either in late 2017 or early 2018. The succession crisis continued and escalated into open war later that year, leading to the nuclear exchange. I think that makes things work out.

Reactions:
Yes. The wheels were designed for high mobility in urban areas (within the habitats) and relatively flat terrain. But a “walking mode” is required for traversing the rougher parts of the Martian surface. It’s possible that later models might replace the wheels with rocket hoverjets like the mobile suits in Gundam, but the technology hasn’t gotten there yet.
Wouldn't giving mechs hoverjets instead of wheels come with the same flaws Spacedock highlighted in hover tanks, namely the lack of friction sacrificing moveability and control?

Wouldn't giving mechs hoverjets instead of wheels come with the same flaws Spacedock highlighted in hover tanks, namely the lack of friction sacrificing moveability and control?
You could say similar things about the wheels because those are already impractical, especially the setup shown in Code Geass. I’m not quite sure myself.

He’s strongly implied to be Demetrios, I think Papadopoulos was always his last name. In short, he was Angela’s love interest who had an affair behind her back. He died protecting Angela in the Hohenzollernvere in the 90s, but survived and married Angela in the Annionaverse until his affair was discovered after Annionaverse and Hohenzollernverse Angela swapped places. So yeah, he definitely isn’t married to Clara as he’s older than her by a couple decades.
Oh. Okay. The Fringe arc was a little confusing for me when I read it since it was hard to tell sometimes when we were in the Hohenzollernverse or the Annionaverse and which characters were from which side. That is why I liked the story updates like "Closing Moves, Part 3" better were there was a clear indicator between the two universes.

Julius’ only sibling is Eva, and since Eva was elevated to the throne at the end of IH he wouldn’t have been exiled because he would be the next in line. However, the power struggle that led to Eva being crowned led to a rift with their other cousins, ultimately leading into the nuclear war.
Which seems to conflict with my findings above. However, I could fudge the numbers a bit. Claudius dies in late 2016. His youngest and last surviving son dies shortly afterward before he can be declared the heir, leaving behind a pregnant wife and Eva. After a succession crisis lasting several months, Eva is crowned the new empress. Julian is born either in late 2017 or early 2018. The succession crisis continued and escalated into open war later that year, leading to the nuclear exchange. I think that makes things work out.
A part of me would love to see (maybe when you have another bout of writer's block) another mini-Annionaverse arc like this one that starts with Julius on his deathbed and the rest of the story are told in flashbacks showing what his life was like with Eva and what lead him to become the Emperor he is in this arc?

You could say similar things about the wheels because those are already impractical, especially the setup shown in Code Geass. I’m not quite sure myself.
If either universe does not develop something like a Float System then the land/planet based mechs could as you said have wheels for flat surfaces and walking for harder terrain. Then the ones with thrusters could work in space?

Oh. Okay. The Fringe arc was a little confusing for me when I read it since it was hard to tell sometimes when we were in the Hohenzollernverse or the Annionaverse and which characters were from which side. That is why I liked the story updates like "Closing Moves, Part 3" better were there was a clear indicator between the two universes.
Yeah, I wasn't too clear and thought the placenames would have been enough, since there is no such thing as the Federal State Kingdom of Anatolia in the Hohenzollernverse. That and references to pop culture and important political figures. I'll definitely improve on that in the future.
A part of me would love to see (maybe when you have another bout of writer's block) another mini-Annionaverse arc like this one that starts with Julius on his deathbed and the rest of the story are told in flashbacks showing what his life was like with Eva and what lead him to become the Emperor he is in this arc?
Julius was an infant he was taken to Mars. He wouldn't have remembered anything from that young, which is a major plot point in the previous few chapters. The older generation of Austrians still remembers Earth in contrast to Julius and the younger generation which only knows Mars.
If either universe does not develop something like a Float System then the land/planet based mechs could as you said have wheels for flat surfaces and walking for harder terrain. Then the ones with thrusters could work in space?
To be clear, the rocket hovering is for high speed movement like the wheels would have been. Regular movement for combat would be on legs.

Oh, I forgot to say this a few days ago, but I finished my production order binge of all mainline Gundam series, movies, OVAs, and Build. An enjoyable experience the whole way through from the original series to Witch from Mercury. I don’t think there’s much I’ll use for inspiration, though as I said before Iron-Blooded Orphans had some things like the tech, worldbuilding, and music I could use in Stellaris. Same goes for the UC’s depiction of space colonies.

Reactions:
Oh, I forgot to say this a few days ago, but I finished my production order binge of all mainline Gundam series, movies, OVAs, and Build. An enjoyable experience the whole way through from the original series to Witch from Mercury. I don’t think there’s much I’ll use for inspiration, though as I said before Iron-Blooded Orphans had some things like the tech, worldbuilding, and music I could use in Stellaris. Same goes for the UC’s depiction of space colonies.
That's neat to hear. What else is next on your anime watch list? Given your recent post in our PM thread, Attack on Titan has plot developments that I can't talk about yet for spoiler reasons, but they do kinda relate to what you just talked about in the aforementioned PM thread. If nothing else, it does have some amazing music you might be able to use, since you talked about pulling on Iron Blooded Orphans' ost and Hiroyuki Sawano worked on a few Gundam shows and Xenoblade X, among other stuff. This defintely isn't a ruse to get you to watch AOT.:p

For what it's worth, although I do have a few gripes with the AOT ending, it wasn't as bad as I feared for two years and doesn't diminish my overall enjoyment of the show imo.

Last edited:
That's neat to hear. What else is next on your anime watch list? Given your recent post in our PM thread, Attack on Titan has plot developments that I can't talk about yet for spoiler reasons, but they do kinda relate to what you just talked about in the aforementioned PM thread.
I don't really know, I have a bunch of stuff on my watchlist but nothing that's "must watch immediately." The Gundam binge was really tiring because I went through 45 years of content, and while I do want to explore more mecha anime, I want to take a break. That being said, I did just finish watching Death Note and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a few days ago. I've got nothing to add about how they'll relate to this megacampaign, other than maybe giving them and Gundam some entries in DE's cultural chapters. I'm also floating around ideas to rewrite the in-universe Code Geass as a proper Gundam show (for example, the Lancelot would be called a Gundam and Lelouch would have even more parallels with Char Aznable). Though I'm not going to have it replace 00, which aired at the same time. Maybe I'll have it replace SEED Destiny since that's the only Gundam series I don't like.

In case anybody's wondering, my favorite shows/OVAs from the binge are, in no particular order: IBO, 00, SEED (yes, I actually think it's good), Unicorn, War in the Pocket, Wing, G Gundam, Build Fighters, and Witch from Mercury. Unfortunately, some bad experiences with Unicorn haters soured my impressions of it and prevented me from rating it as highly as I really wanted. It's not that I agreed with them, but the way that they nitpicked on the story made it so I unconsciously started nitpicking as well and couldn't enjoy it as much as before, even though I know it makes sense and is great. It also started applying to the music at some point and I hate that they made me start hating the music when I still really like it.
If nothing else, it does have some amazing music you might be able to use, since you talked about pulling on Iron Blooded Orphans' ost and Hiroyuki Sawano worked on a few Gundam shows and Xenoblade X, among other stuff. This defintely isn't a ruse to get you to watch AOT.:p
Last week, when I was doing final edits for the last chapter, I was seriously considering switching out the Code Geass track "Stories" with the IBO track called...well, "Iron-Blooded Orphan" since that one plays during the next episode teasers important battles and I'm depicting a mech battle on Mars. I decided against it because I want to use it in the future when I'm writing another battle sequence that deserves it. Ideally that chapter would focus entirely on the battle, as opposed to this one which has various viewpoints off the battlefield where "Stories" fits better.

AOT's been on my watchlist for a long time, and now that it's done I do feel like it's a great time to get started. Though once again I feel burned out from high stakes battle shonen anime after that binge, which also took up a lot of free time I could have spent actually finishing the Hohenzollernverse side of this arc. Since I've been enjoying a lot of low stakes slice of life stuff lately, that's probably where I'll be for a while.
For what it's worth, although I do have a few gripes with the AOT ending, it wasn't as bad as I feared for two years and doesn't diminish my overall enjoyment of the show imo.
I heard the manga ending was pretty controversial when it came out, but fans don't seem to be as mad at the anime ending now that it's out. Which sounds good for when I eventually watch it.

Reactions:
AOT's been on my watchlist for a long time, and now that it's done I do feel like it's a great time to get started. Though once again I feel burned out from high stakes battle shonen anime after that binge, which also took up a lot of free time I could have spent actually finishing the Hohenzollernverse side of this arc. Since I've been enjoying a lot of low stakes slice of life stuff lately, that's probably where I'll be for a while.
I say this and not one hour later I start the first episode of 86, which is...a mecha anime with Sawano composing.:p Though ideally I want to hold off on continuing until I've read the light novels.

If nothing else, it does have some amazing music you might be able to use, since you talked about pulling on Iron Blooded Orphans' ost and Hiroyuki Sawano worked on a few Gundam shows and Xenoblade X, among other stuff.
I fell like some of the later mech designs for the Hohenzollernverse could be OO, IBO and then Xenoblade with how advance they become?

I don't really know, I have a bunch of stuff on my watchlist but nothing that's "must watch immediately." The Gundam binge was really tiring because I went through 45 years of content, and while I do want to explore more mecha anime, I want to take a break.
If you want to take a break from anime there is the Last Air Bender Live-Action adaptation whos teaser came out on Thursday and has a release date for February 22. It actually looks really good with Iroh, Ozai and Suki looking the best. That being said the first season appears to be only eight episodes where as the cartoon had twenty so I am concerned with how they are going to condense everything down.

I'm also floating around ideas to rewrite the in-universe Code Geass as a proper Gundam show (for example, the Lancelot would be called a Gundam and Lelouch would have even more parallels with Char Aznable). Though I'm not going to have it replace 00, which aired at the same time.
OO appears to be the most like Code Geass which to me fells like a great place to get into the series however I do hear that people do not like season 2 that much due to "supposed strange plot points".

I will be honest in that although I have enjoyed this arc and that it gives me a few ideas for some of the arc's when we get to stellaris I will be happy when we get back to the Hohenzollernverse story.

I heard the manga ending was pretty controversial when it came out, but fans don't seem to be as mad at the anime ending now that it's out. Which sounds good for when I eventually watch it.
That's good to hear that a recent show has a satisfying ending since a few years ago all you heard about was how bad GOT's ending was.

I say this and not one hour later I start the first episode of 86, which is...a mecha anime with Sawano composing.:p Though ideally I want to hold off on continuing until I've read the light novels.
That is another series that I want to get into since people compare it to Akito the Exiled a lot.

I fell like some of the later mech designs for the Hohenzollernverse could be OO, IBO and then Xenoblade with how advance they become?
Yeah I like the idea. I found some analysis posts for the tech of 00 that I'm thinking of working into the later tech of the Hohenzollernverse, probably around later NWO or early Stellaris. The concept of the GN drives sounds like it could be easily overlapped with how I've depicted fusion reactors, and I really like the space elevators.
If you want to take a break from anime there is the Last Air Bender Live-Action adaptation whos teaser came out on Thursday and has a release date for February 22. It actually looks really good with Iroh, Ozai and Suki looking the best. That being said the first season appears to be only eight episodes where as the cartoon had twenty so I am concerned with how they are going to condense everything down.
I saw it a couple days ago and am cautiously optimistic. I just hope it's good.
OO appears to be the most like Code Geass which to me fells like a great place to get into the series however I do hear that people do not like season 2 that much due to "supposed strange plot points".
I loved all of 00, even the movie, but I understand people don't like Season 2 and the movie because it gets increasingly "out there," despite being thematically appropriate.
I will be honest in that although I have enjoyed this arc and that it gives me a few ideas for some of the arc's when we get to stellaris I will be happy when we get back to the Hohenzollernverse story.
I really want to overcome my writer's block because I am really excited to write the upcoming chapters with Hohenzollernverse Julian, Mozaffar, and the rest of the main cast. The issue is I have to get through the "moving people from point A to B" setup first.
That's good to hear that a recent show has a satisfying ending since a few years ago all you heard about was how bad GOT's ending was.
Especially since back in the day there were a lot of comparisons to GOT and its bad ending.
That is another series that I want to get into since people compare it to Akito the Exiled a lot.
Nowadays I also see comparisons with IBO, which only makes me more excited. I heard the original author is a huge Gundam/mecha fan so that's a plus.

A Sol of Ends and Beginnings, Part 7

(Desperation - Code Geass)​

In Dorothy’s cockpit, the computer let out a warning. Her plasma meter flashed red. “Damnit!” she cursed. “Durendal’s nearly out of energy!” Probably enough plasma for one more strike, so I got to make it count!

---

In Angelica’s cockpit, other warnings had popped up on her computer. “What do you mean the reactor’s starting to overheat?” I’ve never pushed the Balmung this far before, but it’s going to need to last a bit longer!

---

“An opening! Got you now!” Dorothy charged straight at Angelica, more recklessly than usual. Perhaps it was desperation, or maybe it was trying to surprise her more experienced opponent with unpredictability. Bringing down Durendal as hard as she could, the Balmung barely managed to stop her blow, but the red and gold autoritter’s arms noticeably shook, its servos sparking and spewing smoke. Even without her computer’s analysis, Dorothy knew the Balmung was at its limits.

---

Angelica knew that too. But she was determined to win, no matter how bad things were. Her younger opponent, in her rashness, had left a few openings. She couldn’t deny they could be a trap to break her stance, but she had no choice but to press those openings. The Balmung and Roland continued their dance, this time at a closer range due to energy considerations. I can’t beat her! How can I not beat her?! I’m the best knight in the Reich, I’ve been doing this for years, and yet… She shook such defeatist thoughts out of her head, but by then Dorothy had closed in with another spinning kick—that was dodged—followed by a punch from the Roland’s free hand. The Balmung blocked the punch, though several armor plates shattered and synchronization rate plummeted.

---

“Your strength is unimaginable, Dorothy,” Angelica said.

“Thanks,” Dorothy said, “You’ve provided some great field data.”

“I guess that’s a compliment.”

“I don’t think we can keep this up much longer.” Dorothy disabled several alarms. “Let’s end this, once and for all!”

“Agreed.” Angelica readied her sword and charged. “Sieg Anniona! Sieg Terrankind!”

Dorothy prepared Durendal and accelerated. “For Earth! For humanity!”

They drew within twenty feet. Angelica put everything she had into her swing. Dorothy activated Durendal’s plasma blade. The two swords locked for the final time. Durendal easily cut through the other sword and continued on its path, but the bottom half of Angelica’s sword—the part that didn’t get sliced off—was also no longer held back. The Roland’s computer calculated that the Balmung’s newly shortened sword would not be long enough to hit anything vital. Dorothy grinned.

Just when Dorothy thought she had won, the Roland’s left knee inexplicably exploded, tearing the lower left leg clean off and forcing the autoritter to topple forward onto Angelica’s sword.

On Fraternity

Doctors piled chairs and tables against the door, while the boarding party on the other side kept ramming it. As Papadopoulos treated another patient, a chill suddenly went up his spine.

Roland lab, Beck

Static filled the computer screens. Telemetry was lost. Clara fell to her knees.

Saxonia staging area, Beck

The Sigurd and its squad burst through the disabled airlock, guns blazing. The UN troops defending it were quickly gunned down. Registering a loss of atmosphere, the emergency airlock doors descended behind the Austrians, making up for the ones Julius had destroyed.

“Come on, my lord!” Ehrenfried said. “They will no doubt be sending reinforcements!”

“Yes, but…” Julius’ heart suddenly felt like it had been stabbed. “What just…”

“We must press the advantage, while we still can!” Ehrenfried and his men continued through the vehicle entrance into the civilian area. “For the glory of the Reich! Sieg Anniona!”

Julius sighed. “Fine…” He drove after them.

Outside

When Dorothy regained consciousness, she was greeted with the sounds of alarms and warnings filling the cockpit as critical failures scrolled across the Roland, and then the computer itself succumbed under the weight of all those failures and shut down. The only lights now came from the radio in her vac suit and a gaping hole created by Angelica’s broken sword, which was buried…oh, right in her torso. She groaned and coughed up blood. “I…owwwww…” she muttered. “Should have known…the joints…weren’t good enough…” She tried looking through the hole but couldn’t focus her eyes. “Does that mean…I didn’t get her…in the end?”

She heard Angelica’s pained groan over the radio. “You’re wrong…urk…”

---

The Balmung’s cockpit was even more devastated. It barely maintained its cohesion, as the head and shoulder parts threatened to collapse in on the midsection now. The entire front part, where the main computer should have been, had been cleaved in two, with both edges melted by Durendal’s plasma. The plasma seemed to have run out of energy right after piercing through the armor, but by then Durendal had cut deep enough that…oh, the tip of its sword had cut deep into Angelica’s body from shoulder to hip. Her vac suit tried to seal the long gash created, but it was futile. Atmosphere was still being lost. Wonder…what’s going to get me first…asphyxiation or blood loss. She tried putting on a smile. “You’ve got me alright, Dorothy.”

The Balmung toppled onto its back, Durendal being pulled out of Angelica’s wound and clattering on the ground. Angelica coughed up more blood. I guess I’ve got my answer, then. I guess this is where things end for me. But I can’t say I regret it.

“I just wish…I could be buried…with my family…on Earth…”

As the light faded from her eyes, and the warning signals of her compromised vac suit grew distant, she thought she saw a figure standing outside the gaping gash in her front armor. It looked like a woman, with long flowing hair, dressed in Austrian imperial robes instead of a vac suit. A woman she hadn’t seen in 21 years, since that fateful day.

Earth - 2018

Air raid sirens blared in the distance, by now a familiar sound echoing across the doomed capital and the surrounding areas. Vienna’s Emperor Giselbert II Spaceport, despite being located far outside city limits, was consumed by chaos. Crowds of thousands crammed into the terminals, their desperation to escape clear on their faces. The police tried their best to keep things in order, but it was futile. They wouldn’t hold out much longer, and neither would the military.

Far from the panicked crowds, two women limped down a maintenance hallway. One wore relatively fine traveling clothes, though they had been stained with mud and blood and torn at the fringes. Burns and dried blood covered much of her skin. A tiara sat on her frayed black hair, its shine long faded by the realities around it. One leg trailed behind her. To prop herself up, Empress Eva von Anniona had wrapped one arm across the shoulders of the other woman. About the same age, this one was dressed in the red uniform of the Imperial Palace Guard, which was also tattered and faded. Dust and a few cuts crossed the face of Lieutenant Angelica Neumann, but that didn’t reduce her resolve. Her teeth remained gritted and her eyes firmly focused in front of her, never looking back.

“Ow…” Eva coughed up some blood.

Angelica laid her against a wall so her hands could be freed up. She dug around in her pack and took out anti-radiation medicine. “Here, Your Majesty. Try this.”

Eva took the pills and tried putting on a smile. “Thank you, Lieutenant.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll get you up to Giselbert’s medical bay.” As in the ARC ship Giselbert, currently in geosynchronous orbit over the Holy Roman Empire. They had left off the “II” at the end because it would have implied there was a Giselbert I.

“Don’t bother.” Eva shook her head. “I can feel it…I’m too far gone.”

A flash of light in the distance, and the crowd’s screams rattled the spaceport’s very walls. Another nuke had detonated nearby. From the size of the mushroom cloud looming in the window, it had probably hit somewhere downtown. Again. If the imperial palace hadn’t been destroyed already, it certainly was now.

Eva coughed up blood. “You need…to go…”

“Nonsense, Your Majesty! I’m your retainer! I can’t just leave you.”

“As your Empress, I can order you to leave me.”

“If you did, I would refuse your order, with all due respect. You must survive. For Julius’ sake.”

Eva sighed. “I admire your loyalty, Lieutenant Neumann. If only we had more people like you, we probably wouldn’t be in this mess.”

“We can still get out of this!” Angelica helped Eva to her feet and propped her up, her arm around Eva’s shoulders. They continued walking down the hallway. “We just need…to…rendezvous…with the other guards…” She was already getting tired.

“You should go on ahead,” Eva said, “I’m done for, yet you aren’t. You can make it out. You shouldn’t be tied down by me. Go to the others.”

The roar of a rocket engine shook the walls. A pillar of blue fire appeared in the window, rapidly ascending into the heavens. That was the second last launch.

“Come on, we’re almost…there!” Angelica pushed open a door and exited the maintenance area. The final stretch to the gate was filled with more panicked people barely held back by police officers. Screams filled the air. Hands were stretched out, clutching wads of annons or precious heirlooms. Some parents held out babies and young children, begging for them to be saved. Tears flowed freely from desperate eyes. Some people’s faces were clearly starting to show the effects of radiation, while others were bloody and bruised from the panic. Yet Angelica couldn’t spare any time for them, as much as she wanted to. “I’m sorry…I wish I could help you all…but…”

They pushed through and reached the gate. Here, the military took over for security. Angelica recognized a few faces from the palace. There were a bunch of servants and maids, as well as more of the Imperial Palace Guard. When they noticed Eva, they immediately ran over.

“Oh, thank God she’s alive!” Two maids took Eva off Angelica’s hands. “Get the medic!”

The medic ran over and began inspecting Eva’s wounds. Her expression was…somber.

“I thought so,” Eva said, “I’m already too far gone, am I? My fault for staying too long in the radiation zone.”

“Nonsense, if it weren’t for you, we wouldn’t be…” the servant broke down and sobbed. “Thank you so much for helping us, Your Majesty! We aren’t worthy of your kindness!”

“As your Empress, it was the least I could do,” Eva said, “As long as my people are alright…then I will be content.”

“Okay, we need to move out,” Angelica said, “The rocket’s ready to go, and we don’t know when or where the next nuke’s landing. We need to board now.”

“Everything is ready, Your Majesty,” one retainer said, “We can launch as soon as you board.”

“Thank you,” Eva said, “And Julian?”

“Over here.” One of the maids carried a baby over. Swaddled in cloth, all that was visible was the child’s sleeping face, peaceful among all of the chaos. Which was surprising, because Angelica expected he would have been bawling his eyes out. “He’s remarkably well behaved.”

Eva took Julian from the maid. “Thank you for looking after my brother.”

“It is my duty, my lady.”

Angelica’s attention, though, was still focused on the desperate crowd. The more she did, the more she heard individual voices. Cries for help, pleas to save their children, prayers to God, everything. “They’re imperial citizens, just like us. Fellow subjects of Her Majesty. So why are we leaving them to die?”

“I’m sorry?” the head maid said. “We need to go. Her Majesty needs immediate treatment!”

“We don’t know when the next nuke’s going to hit,” one of the soldiers said, “Her Majesty and the prince are the last two VIPs. They board, we depart immediately.”

“No,” Eva said.

“Excuse me?”

Eva shook her head. “Lieutenant Neumann is right. We can’t go yet, because there are so many people around us who need saving.”

“Are you mad, my lady?” the head maid said. “Look at these rabble! These…irradiated…rabble!”

“They are still my citizens,” Eva said, “And they are no more irradiated than I am. Why did you waste a space on me, who can’t be saved, instead of a child in that crowd who still has their whole future ahead of them? Why do we save my brother but not any other baby?”

“I agree, Your Majesty,” Angelica said, “How much room is left in the shuttle?”

One of the engineers checked a tablet. “There is enough fuel to carry another…53.”

“Then we’ll bring on 54,” Eva said, “We’re not leaving until we have them.”

“Fifty…four?”

“I already said, you’re wasting fuel on me,” Eva said, “I’m going to give up my seat.”

“Your Majesty, what the hell—I mean, do you understand what you are doing?” the head maid said.

“Yes, I do,” Eva said, “Help me board as many of them as you can. Prioritize women and children in good health.”

“But, Your Majesty!” the soldiers said.

“This is an order from your Empress!”

At that, everybody immediately saluted. “Yes, my lady!”

“Lieutenant Neumann, speak to the crowd on my behalf,” Eva said in between coughs, “My voice…isn’t what it used to be.”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Angelica turned to the crowd. “Listen to me! Please!”

The crowd continued yelling. Angelica turned back to Eva. “Cover Prince Julian’s ears.” After Eva had done so, Angelica took out her sidearm and fired two shots into the ceiling. “ENOUGH!”

The gunshots were enough to quiet everybody down. Now the panicked citizens’ eyes—those fearful and bloodshot eyes—bore down on her. Angelica kept her cool.

“Listen up,” she said, “This shuttle has room for 54. Her Majesty has decided to grant those seats to 54 of you, giving up her own.”

“Take me!”

“I can pay as many annons as you want!”

“I’m a CEO!”

“My brother’s a baron!”

“I don’t want to die!”

“Save my child!”

“Quiet!” Angelica repeated herself. “Officers, keep everybody calm.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Now, children first,” Angelica said, “In order of least to most injured. Then the women. Social status is irrelevant. Children and women first. You hear me?”

The clamoring resumed as the crowd started turning on each other, arguing over which child’s injuries were less severe and thus had priority.

“ENOUGH!” She fired one more shot into the ceiling. “Listen to me! People of Vienna, where is your pride as Romans? We are better than anyone on this planet. We have persisted, no matter what this Reich has gone through. The Byzantines and Umayyads and Aztecs tried to destroy us. Then the Soviets, Hong Liao, and the Sudamerikans. Now the Indians and Continentals have tried. But we forget that we are Romans, no matter where we came from.” I’m from France. My grandparents still have nightmares from all of the deportations and forced assimilation. But in spite of that, I still want to serve the Reich—serve Her Majesty herself—and show we are also Romans who deserve respect. But I guess that doesn’t matter now, does it? “Romans always endure. We will put our enemies in their place, but many of us won’t be around for that. There is only room for 54 of you. There will be children, their mothers, and younger women getting on. Healthy and young individuals. Those with potential to strike back against our enemies when we are ready. The rest of you…make way. Be strong and enduring as Romans are, and do what must be done. For the future restoration of the Reich.”

Murmurs went through the crowd, accompanied by a few nods as Angelica’s words got to them.

“Alright, then. Form a line.”

The crowd did so. Children and their mothers went first, the soldiers helping carry some babies. Some of the younger kids desperately clung to their mothers as they boarded, reminding Angelica a little of Julian and Eva.

“That’s good. Keep moving. We have…16 spots left.” Angelica crossed her fingers, hoping it would be enough.

It was. The last child in the crowd was #54. It seemed there weren’t many children, despite the sheer number of adults.

“That’s it,” Angelica said, “I promise you, we will look after the children.”

“What do we do now?”

“Where do we go?”

“I…” Angelica said. “I’m sorry. I wouldn’t know. But you are Romans. I know you can figure something out.

The remaining crowd bowed their heads, accepting their fates, both with the hope that the children would make it out and the realization that they themselves wouldn’t. Slowly, the gate area emptied. Perhaps they would head back to the city to meet their deaths head-on. Or maybe they would try their luck at the other launch platforms. Angelica had heard of a fourth generation ARC ship that was under construction in a nearby factory. Maybe they had installed the engines and completed the hull by now. Whatever the case, there was no further reason for them to stay here, so they left.

“It’s time,” the head maid said, “Let’s go, Lieutenant Neumann.”

Everybody began boarding the shuttle.

“Yes, let’s.” Angelica followed them, only to feel a hand on her shoulder. She turned around and met Eva’s eyes.

“I’d like to ask a favor of you, Lieutenant.” Despite all of the worsening injuries covering her body, Eva stood straight up, regaining some of the poise she had in her official appearances.

“Anything, Your Majesty.” Angelica bowed her head.

“I would like you to watch over Prince Julian.”

Angelica was confused. “Me? Lieutenant Angelica Neumann?”

“Yes,” Eva said.

“Surely there are better people to do it, like his wet nurse or the maids or—”

“It has to be you,” Eva said, “You’ve known me and Julian just as much as the maids do. If I can’t raise my brother, I’d rather it be you.”

“I…I don’t know what to say, Your Majesty,” Angelica said.

“Please, call me Eva, like before…Angelica,” Eva said.

“I…I can’t, you’re the Empress…”

Eva sighed. “Empress of ashes and bones, more like. What good is a crown if there is no kingdom? This is the end of me, but Julian’s time has yet to begin. I’d like you to be there for him.”

“Of…of course, I can do that, Eva,” Angelica said.

“Please indulge me with one final order,” Eva said, “We, in our capacity as Roman Empress—no, no, no…I, Eva von Anniona, in my capacity as your friend, order you to live. Live, and watch over Julian until can stand on his own as an emperor. This is my final request to you, Lieutenant Neumann—no, Angelica Neumann.”

Angelica saluted. “I humbly accept this order with honor.”

She received Julian from Eva, then entered the gate to the shuttle. As the doors shut behind her, she looked behind her one more time, getting one final glimpse at her empress. In her final moments, Eva appeared almost…glad. Satisfied with how things turned out. Hopeful, even, that Julian was in good hands with Angelica.

As the shuttle pierced through the clouds, Angelica looked down at Earth for the final time, just as Vienna was hit with one final nuclear warhead, the spaceport blowing away like dust in the wind.

Mars - 2039

Eva obviously wasn’t there in reality, but the phantasm before her put her mind at ease. At the very end, although she could no longer smile, Angelica Neumann was satisfied.

“Eva…I followed your order…with honor…”

---

Dorothy couldn’t even smile at this point. “I…can’t believe it…I took her down…I took down the Valkyrie of Alençon…”

The Roland, propped up almost entirely by Angelica’s sword and its last leg, finally fell over. Angelica’s sword was pulled out of both the hand of the Balmung and Dorothy’s wound, falling onto the ground.

The lab

“GET SOMEONE OUT THERE!” Clara pleaded. “NOW!”

On Fraternity

Papadopoulos dropped his phone, frozen in place. He began hyperventilating. “No, no, it can’t be…not again…not…NOT AGAIN!”

Looking down from orbit. A flash of light in the Bosphorus. Zoom in. A mushroom cloud right over downtown Konstanstadt. More in the surrounding cities and everywhere across the Reich. The atmosphere takes on an orange-gray hue. Why am I up on Fraternity? Why am I up here when she’s done there? When my little girl…why, WHY?! Why did she have to die? Why did she die but I lived, after all I’ve done?! I should have been down there, not her! They should have killed me instead!

The boarding party busted down the door and stormed inside the clinic. Tetsuya raised his daggers. “I am Imperial Commander Tetsuya Hochenburg! Surrender and nobody gets hurt!”

Papadopoulos fell to his knees, his mind going blank.

Beck

Everybody’s jaws remained on the floor. Some in the room had even started crying. Livia’s face had crumbled into abject despair, her whole body trembling uncontrollably.

“It…it’s over, isn’t it?” she said.

Murad steadied himself against the table. “I guess it is.”

---

Once even one autoritter got into a settlement, it was all over. No matter how large a settlement was, its defenders’ armaments were limited by the fragility of their life support systems. Bullets and explosives had to be used in such a way to minimize damage to life support and prevent loss of atmosphere. Organized and equipped primarily for crowd control and law enforcement, settlement security forces were ill-equipped for combat against autoritters. All non-Austrian settlements had thus adopted strategies focusing on destroying or turning back the autoritters while they were still outside, because once they got into a settlement, there was no stopping them. Not even Beck was spared this.

Julius and his autoritters rolled through Saxonia. “Bow before your rightful masters, descendants of Widukind the heathen!” Ehrenfried cut a path for his emperor, running over civilians in his path and trampling over the irminsuls. Many of them didn’t even get out of the way—almost everybody was frozen where they stood, as if paralyzed by shock. Julius brought up the rear, his eyes fixated on the devastation left in the squad’s wake. The bodies didn’t even look human after being crushed under an autoritter’s foot. And yet his attention was divided. The Sigurd was moving via autopilot at this point. Julius’ eyes passed over each crushed body he passed by, then at the frozen civilians who still wouldn’t budge from their spots. His mind foucsed on the words he had just heard over the radio.

No…it can’t be…she couldn’t have…impossible…

“Your Majesty, it won’t do you any good to be on your own!” Ehrenfried shook him back to reality.

How could she have…is this really… “I appreciate your enthusiasm, Knight Ehrenfried, but I assure you, the Sigurd should be enough.”

“Nonsense! If you died, all would be lost! We can’t let that happen when victory is within reach!”

The Celtic and Arthurian motifs of Pendragon, the Copenhagen-like design of Heimdall, and the Russian mosaics of Little Russia all fell before the Reich’s might, frequently literally as Ehrenfried and his men delighted in their rampage through Beck’s districts. By the time Julius passed through what was left of each neighborhood, their streets had been torn up, buildings had been demolished, and hundreds of civilians had been reduced to red smear marks on the roads. And yet the survivors remained frozen in place. It was as if with so much having happened at once, from the battle outside to Julius himself in the settlement, their brains simply couldn’t handle it anymore and shut down, giving in to complete despair.

Finally, they arrived at Central Authority. In the deepest part of Beck, far from life support equipment and the outside domes, the UN soldiers here opened fire with heavy machine guns and rocket launchers, targeting the autoritters’ joints. Or rather, they tried, because the autoritters quickly deployed their own machine guns and mowed them down in five seconds. Only a couple autoritters suffered substantial damage. When Julius arrived in Central Authority, Ehrenfried cheerfully saluted. “The area’s cleared out and fully secure. We can disembark.”

“Very well, then,” Julius said.

What is this all for? What am I even doing?

They climbed out of their autoritters. Ehrenfried had come prepared, tossing assault rifles and pistols to everybody else. “Let’s not waste more time, my lord. Victory awaits!”

“Why does it feel like I’m not the one in command here?” Julius complained.

But he found a rifle in his hands, and everybody else had already moved forward. Ehrenfried kicked open the door to the Presidency and was confronted with a bloodcurdling scream from Jane, whom he immediately shot in the head. Apparently, their attack had happened so quickly that she couldn’t even evacuate from her desk. They forced open the security gate and waited for Julius to catch up. Ignoring Jane’s headless body slumped over the receptionist’s desk, they smiled and beckoned to the open security gate. “After you, my lord.”

“What have you…”

“Cleared away your obstacles, sir! There will be nothing standing in the way of your victory!”

Obstacles…is that how I’ve been seeing everybody the whole time?

They continued through the gate and down the hallway, arriving at the entrance to the situation room. Walt and his colleague drew their weapons but were instantly shot.

“As I said, we’ve cleared away your obstacles, sir,” Ehrenfried said.

And these kids…grew up believing that?

They placed breaching charges around the door and detonated them. The door was blasted off its hinges and fell down with a loud thud. A split second later, Ehrenfried tossed a flash grenade inside. The explosion filled the room with light, and everybody inside screamed. Not giving them any time to react, Ehrenfried and his men walked in and racked their machine guns.

“ANNIONA UNIVERSALIS! FOR MARS AND TERRANKIND FOREVERMORE! SIEG ANNIONA!” The sound of gunfire and the screams of the dying filled Julius’ ears.

Was Angelica just another obstacle in the end?

He couldn’t take anymore of this. “IN THE NAME OF YOUR EMPEROR, CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE AT ONCE!”

Ehrenfried looked at Julius. He didn’t look mad or betrayed, just…baffled. “I’m sorry, my lord?”

“I SAID, CEASE FIRE!” Julius grabbed the nearest soldier’s machine gun, its barrel still hot, and pointed it at the floor, tearing up the tiles. “I AM YOUR EMPEROR, AND I WILL NOT TOLERATE YOUR INSUBORDINATION ANY LONGER!”

At that, the rest of the squad lowered their guns and snapped to attention.

“But we’re merely executing your will, my lord!” Ehrenfried said. “We’re eliminating all threats to your rule! Isn’t this what you want? An end to UNAP and its clinging to the past? An end to their tyranny over Terrankind?”

“Look at them!” Julius gestured around the room. Half the people inside were dead, slumped over the table with multiple gunshot wounds. Lev Konstantinov was dead, as were the president of Scandinavia and the prime minister of Russia. The computers had all been destroyed. Murad had shielded Livia behind him and taken a shot to his leg. The screen in the back, with a live feed to Dorothy’s battle, had gone dark even before half of it got shredded by bullets. “Look at these people! They are no longer in any position to fight back! They aren’t even armed! Why do you still slaughter them like animals?!”

“Because of the poisonous obsession with old Earth they stand for!”

“And did you not hear me?!” Julius shook Ehrenfried’s shoulders. “They have already lost! They can’t fight us anymore! We’ve effortlessly taken control of this entire settlement, and you still want to deprive them of their lives?! I am disappointed in you, Knight Ehrenfried!” He motioned to the others in the squad. “Restrain him! He will face court martial when we return to Olympus.”

“Yes, my lord!” the squad obeyed.

Once Ehrenfried had been restrained, Julius stepped forward, dropping his gun, which hadn’t even been fired the whole time, and raised his hands to show he was unarmed. Yet the remaining United Nations officials, those who could still move, crawled away from him. Their faces did not have the expected look that came with the fear of imminent death. There was none of that panic or fear. No, what Julius saw was resignation. Resignation to the fact that they had lost. It was the same expression he saw on the faces of the frozen civilians outside, the ones who didn’t even get out of the way when Ehrenfried gleefully mowed them down. So much had happened in just this day alone. So much had gone wrong. So much had been lost. Judging from the dead feed on the screen, it seemed their last shred of hope had just been taken away as well by some inexplicable stroke of bad luck. With all that having been piled onto them in the span of several hours, it was only natural for one’s mind to simply…give up.

Julius pulled over a chair and slumped into it, holding back his own tears. He couldn’t even enjoy the victory he had been given.

---

Annionaverse Angelica’s backstory is elaborated on a bit here. I checked the relevant threads and found that the Norman culture never emerged in Dragoon’s games. So Angelica is just French (“Francien” in the game, but both me and Dragoon use “French” regardless). She joined the HRE military to help make things better for her people, ultimately becoming a palace guardswoman and Eva’s retainer. They became close friends because Angelica, unlike the Germans who made up most of the staff, wasn’t bound by decorum and acted honestly around her. That was why Eva entrusted her with raising Julian.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Sad to see Angelica and potentially Dorthy go, and for Julius' victory to be tainted by Ehrenfried’s war crimes. Goes to show that there aren't any winners in war. The best outcome of this arc is Julius renouncing war and becoming a peaceful ruler like Saint Wilhelmina or the Mauryan Emperor Asoka did, but even then we know that won't last with the HTE's love of war and its descent into Worm worshipping fascism generations after Julius' death.

Still holding out hope that the remnants of UNAP and anti HRE forces on Mars in this arc manage to form Aeternus in the end one way or another, that would be a cool thing to see.

Sad to see Angelica and potentially Dorthy go, and for Julius' victory to be tainted by Ehrenfried’s war crimes. Goes to show that there aren't any winners in war. The best outcome of this arc is Julius renouncing war and becoming a peaceful ruler like Saint Wilhelmina or the Mauryan Emperor Asoka did, but even then we know that won't last with the HTE's love of war and its descent into Worm worshipping fascism generations after Julius' death.
In fact, it wouldn't last that long. There would be a small civil war in 2093 after Julius dies and his daughter Alexandria crushes her other siblings.
The Succession Crisis Never came, Julius' Second Eldest, Alexandria Anniona had sidestepped her Elder bastard brother and other siblings and seized the throne through use of the military. The Move triggered what would amount to a small civil way as the various cities subjugated under Julius' conquest revolted and were subsequently put down.
You bet the military violently suppressed both the other siblings' armies and the rebelling cities.
Still holding out hope that the remnants of UNAP and anti HRE forces on Mars in this arc manage to form Aeternus in the end one way or another, that would be a cool thing to see.
At this point, it's more likely that all surviving UNAP political and military leaders are executed and their supporters violently suppressed.

A strong sendoff to Angelica.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Farewell to the Valkyrie of Alencon, she did Eva proud despite everything in the end. And it's good to know Julius has a bit of heel realization there, too bad it's not gonna do good given the inevitabilty of the Worm's influence. Gosh all this talk about the Terrans going down that path reminds me how the Horus Heresy in WH40K unfolds despite all the characterizations we got of the Primarchs.

Farewell to the Valkyrie of Alencon, she did Eva proud despite everything in the end. And it's good to know Julius has a bit of heel realization there, too bad it's not gonna do good given the inevitabilty of the Worm's influence. Gosh all this talk about the Terrans going down that path reminds me how the Horus Heresy in WH40K unfolds despite all the characterizations we got of the Primarchs.
I think it works even better on a meta level that we know what’s going to happen. The Worm and the cult claim that the future is set in stone and can’t be changed. Naturally the protagonists would try to change it. Only we already know that the future has already been set in stone a long time ago. Nothing Julius does will change the inevitable. It’s as if the Worm is embodied and given power through the very act of writing the narrative.

What was shall be, what shall be was.

Reactions:
A Sol of Ends and Beginnings, Part 8

Outside Beck

The UN medical transport, a vehicle slightly bigger than a shipping container from Earth, arrived at the site of the battle at the same time an equivalent one arrived from the Austrian side. The two teams of medics disembarked, but they paid each other no attention, focusing instead on recovering their side’s pilot. Even their accompanying soldiers didn’t fire on each other. Around them, the rest of the battle had similarly ground to a halt. The ground underneath didn’t shake with every artillery shell or missile strike. The vac suits’ helmets didn’t register any bullets flying or autoritters or tanks moving around nearby. Nothing was moving. It was as if time had stopped. And as Clara pried off armor plates and pushed aside cables in the Roland, she could feel the weight of thousands of eyes focusing on her.

“No, no, Dorothy! You have to survive! Please! I have to get you out of here!”

She looked at the imperial team as they also opened up the Balmung. The damage Dorothy had inflicted with Durendal had cleaved open the front of the autoritter so thoroughly that it was actually much easier to reach the cockpit. They pulled out Angelica’s lifeless corpse. Even with the helmets obscuring their facial expressions at a distance, Clara could see the moment the light left their eyes and their heads bowed. She turned back to the Roland and redoubled her efforts. “Come on, come on, Dorothy! You’ve done all you could to protect us! You won your stupid duel! Now keep your end of the promise! We still need to eat that pizza!” The Roland was lying on its side, which was good for them, because the main entryway to the cockpit came from the “back.” With the outer layers of armor removed, they soon reached the cockpit, which was locked by its own door. With one more surge of adrenaline, Clara grabbed the main release hatch and pulled it open. A thunk resonated up her vac suit, and Dorothy fell into Clara’s arms, pulling out cables and consoles with her. There was a nasty gash across her upper chest, around her shoulder. Most importantly, her vac suit was still registering vitals.

“My God, she’s still alive!” Clara said. “Quick, prep the transport!”

She carried Dorothy back to the transport and climbed in the airlock, impatiently tapping her feet as it cycled and pressurized. The inner door slid open, and she ran inside. Discarding her helmet, she laid Dorothy on a table and waved over the field medics. “Come on, we can save her!” The field medics set to work. They got Dorothy out of her suit and then began cleaning the wound. One doctor readied his surgical tools. Others prepared other equipment and hooked up monitors to Dorothy. As they did so, Dorothy’s eyes opened, and she took a deep breath. Clara quickly took her hand.

“C-Clara?” Dorothy weakly said.

“Don’t worry, I’m here,” Clara said, “I’m not a doctor, but I can’t leave you behind, can I?”

Dorothy smiled. “Thanks, Clara.”

“Don’t worry, we’ve got some great doctors here.”

“Where’s…Doc?”

“Doc…” Clara remembered what happened at the end of their last call. Something was going on up on Fraternity. Papadopoulos seemed to be in a situation. Was it right to call him, given all that?

Oh, who am I kidding? Her phone was already making the call.

On Fraternity

Papadopoulos’ phone rang, but by now it was on a table with everybody else’s electronic devices. All of the medical staff had been forced to kneel in the corner, with their hands over their heads. The patients begged and pleaded and cried in pain, but none of the staff could help them now, because Tetsuya and his men were still watching them.

“Whose phone is that?” Tetsuya asked.

“That is mine,” Papadopoulos said.

Tetsuya picked up the phone and read the caller ID. “Clara…who is that?”

“A friend of…my daughter. Down on the surface.”

“Why wouldn’t your daughter call you instead?”

“Perhaps she’s unavailable, and her friend’s trying to see if I heard from her. Can I take the call?”

“No.”

“Please, it won’t be long,” Papadopoulos said, “I want to know how things are going down there.”

“My orders are to prohibit all UN communications with the surface,” Tetsuya said.

The call ended.

“GODDAMNIT!” Papadopoulos slammed a fist against the wall. “IT’S HAPPENING AGAIN!”

Tetsuya brandished his crimson daggers. “Put your hands back up, or I will cut your throat!”

“Tell me, Tetsuya,” Papadopoulos said, “You look decently old. Are you a father, by any chance?”

“Me?” Tetsuya shook his head. “No, I’m not. Nebenstrand was a real mess, even before it got flattened by a nuke. Not the best place to raise a child.”

“I was a father, once, back in Konstanstadt,” Papadopoulos said, “I had a daughter. The brightest, most cheerful and enthusiastic girl I ever knew. She got it from her mother, I think. My daughter was the pride of my life. The best daughter any father could ask for. Good grades, good looks, good manners, successful in school, dominated science fairs and competitions across the Reich. Her idols were Albert Hoffenberg and Lawrence Piddle. She had so much potential ahead of her. She was too good for a man like me.”

Tetsuya seemed interested in his story. He lowered his daggers. “And what happened?”

“I made the worst mistake of my life,” Papadopoulos said, “I cheated on her mother. And when I was found out, I made the stupid mistake of siding with my mistress, who for good measure then wanted nothing to do with me. So I lost all three of them—my wife, my mistress, my daughter. Instead of taking responsibility and trying to fix everything, I ran to Avalon and started over, hoping I could hide from my sins.”

“But you couldn’t.”

Papadopoulos nodded. “I was punished for them anyways. You know, I was on this very ARC ship when the nukes flew. I was on one of the upper levels, where there were windows. I saw Konstanstadt get nuked. My wife’s work gave her little reason to move out of the city, so they were still there when it happened. They died…and I didn’t. That’s the lie I’ve been operating on all this time. I’ve been forcing myself to think the man who was a husband and father—the man who was known as Demetrios Papadopoulos—died with them on that day, and the shell of a man I am now is not him. But that’s not true. I still am him, and their deaths are still on me.”

“I…” Tetsuya said. “I’ve never had a family, so I can’t imagine what that must have been like for you.”

“Surely you lost somebody on Earth, didn’t you?”

“A few of my sworn brothers,” Tetsuya said, “My clan patriarch. But nobody as close as you did. Honestly…it feels like I should be understanding this, but unfortunately I can’t.”

“When you have a child, your life changes dramatically,” Papadopoulos said, “Your priorities, your hopes, and your plans all adapt around them. They’re a new life, and it’s your responsibility to look after them. I abdicated that responsibility by fleeing Konstanstadt. If I didn’t leave, if I had just said something else that day, perhaps I could have convinced them to leave Konstanstadt. Or I could have died with them. Either way, we would have stayed a family to the end. But instead, it’s as if I left them to die. I may as well have killed Alexandra myself.”

“But you said you had a daughter on Mars?”

“You’ve heard of Dorothy, right?” Papadopoulos said. “That Dorothy.”

“Yes, I’ve heard of her.”

“We met in New Jerusalem, when we were both applying to Fraternity,” Papadopoulos said, “I, a disgraced father without a child, and her, a younger woman without family. Both running from horrid pasts back in the Reich. I guess we gravitated to each other. She was looking for a mentor, someone to rein in her worst impulses. And me? I don’t know…it felt like there was something familiar about her. She was a brilliant girl. Her hands were never idle. She was always working on some project or another. I kept asking her to get some sleep or eat better, but she always shot me down like she was still a teenager. She was snarky and annoying at times. Somedays, she would even intentionally do her work in a way that aggravated me. And yet, despite all of the setbacks that happened since then, she always did her best to put on a smile. There was no problem she decided was too hard to tackle. There was nothing she didn’t want to try. She built an entirely new and more efficient fusion reactor. She designed the gravity plating you’re using right now. She constantly fixed the sensors you guys bashed up. She designed the Roland, of course. And she’s been working on an answer to Hoffenberg’s Question lately. Despite our constant arguments, I never felt tired of her. She reminds me so much of my daughter. Honestly, I couldn’t be more proud of her. Dorothy might not be related to me by blood, but she is my daughter as much as Alex was. And I deserve to know how she is. I wasn’t there for Alex in her final moments, and I’m not going to do the same for Dorothy. I can’t keep running from my sins. It’s time I finally atoned, as a father, and as Demetrios.”

The phone rang again, and Demetrios’ ears perked up.

“Sir, I think we should gag him,” one of the soldiers said, “He’s getting delirious.”

Tetsuya shook his head. “No.”

“Are you serious, sir?”

“I don’t think I’ll ever understand what fatherhood feels like…” Tetsuya tossed the phone to him. “But your words make sense, in a way. You may have your call.”

“Thank you so much, Tetsuya,” Demetrios said, “You have no idea how much this means to me.”

He answered the call. “Hello, Clara?”

Outside Beck

“Oh, thank goodness you picked up, Doctor!” Clara said.

“What’s the situation?” Demetrios said.

Clara hesitated. “It’s…not looking good. Dorothy’s been hurt pretty badly. The doctors…” She trailed off, watching as the doctors desperately tried to stop the blood loss.

There was what sounded like a scuffle. “I have to go down there, now! Let me go, Tetsuya!”

“I’m sorry,” Tetsuya said, “But even if I did let you go, I’m not sure if you would arrive in time.”

“Arrive in time for what?!”

“Can’t you tell from her voice?”

“I…I’m sorry,” Clara said, “They’re tr-trying to stem the bleeding, b-but…they said sh-she already lost t-too much blood…”

“No, please!” Demetrios pleaded. “Please, save her! Save my daughter!”

Dorothy’s eyes widened. “Is that…Doc?”

“Hold on, Doctor,” Clara said, “I’ll let Dorothy explain.”

She placed the phone at Dorothy’s ear.

(Innocent Days - Code Geass)​

Central Authority

“We are now live.” All of the cameras in the situation room were pointed at Julius. “Ready when you are, my lord.”

“Thank you,” Julius said.

The light turned red, and Julius took a deep breath, popping himself up against the bloodstained counter and ignoring the stench of death and dried blood and guts around him. With an imperial flag hastily draped over the half-destroyed screen behind him, he looked straight into the first camera.

“A-Attention, p-people of Mars…” His voice was shaky, lacking much of that booming charisma he displayed in previous speeches. “Hear m-my proclamation. I am Julius von Anniona, Emperor of the Holy R-Roman Empire and your only r-ruler.”

Out of the camera’s view, Livia bowed her head in complete defeat.

“M-Murad Mozaffar, S-Secretary-General of the U-United Nations, has unconditionally s-surrendered to me. As a result, I am now in c-control of Beck and e-every settlement on M-Mars aside from Kirovagrad. And K-Kirovagrad does not possess the strength t-to oppose me. If anyone resists my s-supreme authority, they shall know the d-devastating power of orbital b-bombardment from Gradivus. Unlike UNAP, I will not hesitate to utterly d-destroy any settlement from orbit if they r-resist. Those who could ch-challenge my rule no longer exist. Y-Yes, from this day on, from this m-moment forward, this w-world belongs to me. J-Julius von Anniona commands you. Obey m-me, subjects. Obey me, w-world!”

The imperial soldiers in the room saluted. “SIEG JULIUS! SIEG ANNIONA!”

On the floor next to Livia, Murad groaned and wrapped a bandage around his leg wound. “So I guess this is how freedom dies.”

“People of M-Mars,” Julius continued, “Long have I waited, all th-through these struggles a-against UNAP’s stubborn cl-clinging to the p-past, for them to come t-to their senses. But th-that hope has b-been betrayed, and our species c-continued circling the d-drain towards extinction.”

Outside Beck

“Doc…” Dorothy said. “You there?”

“Yes, Dorothy,” Demetrios said, “I’m here.”

“Did I…do it?” Dorothy said. “Do you think I…did okay?”

“Uh…” Clara said. “Doctor? I…don’t know what to say.”

“Let me,” Demetrios said, “You did great out there.”

“I did?” Dorothy smiled. “I…did.”

“I couldn’t be more proud of you,” Demetrios said.

“And the United Nations? Everybody there?”

“The United Nations…” Demetrios said, “You did it, Dorothy. You saved us all.”

Dorothy’s face relaxed, her smile widening even more. “I did it…I protected everybody…my work saved lives…it worked…” She laughed quietly. “It worked!”

Clara played along. “Yes, Dorothy. It worked. Thank God it worked.”

Central Authority

“I hereby d-declare the end of the United Nations, and t-the old nation-states of Earth!” Julius proclaimed. “Don’t think the f-fallen world of E-Earth will be resurrected! We will not t-turn back the h-hands of time! The new w-world, the n-new planet, the new empire we g-go on to b-build shall be united as o-one people and one n-nation, u-under one ruler, to t-transcend all of Earth’s f-failures!”

He raised his hand in a flourish. “And it s-shall be called…the Holy T-Terran Empire!”

“JULIUS! JULIUS! JULIUS!”

As the soldiers saluted and hailed his name once again, Julius could barely feel his hand, which uncontrollably shook in place. Or really anything at all besides grief. It took everything he had to not crumble and bawl his eyes out then and there on live TV.

Outside Beck

Dorothy knew they were lying to her. She easily figured out what was happening. And yet she couldn’t help but feel relieved, in a way, that she no longer had to fight. That she had done what she set out to do. That she had protected everyone she cared about to the very end. Now she was at the end. Her body was starting to grow cold. Her limbs felt distant and slow. The voices of the doctors were getting murkier, yet Clara’s and Demetrios’ remained clear as day.

“How strange…” she said. “Clara…”

“Yes?” Clara held Dorothy’s hand with both hands. “I’m here for you.”

“I’m sorry…it looks like…I won’t be keeping that promise…” She could almost see that pizza restaurant in Piddletown, and everybody enjoying themselves over a plate of New Jerusalem-style crab pizza. “I really was…looking forward…to that pizza…”

“Dorothy, you can still go!” Clara said. “We can still figure something out!”

“Figure…out…”

“I know!” Clara said. “We can ask the chefs from Piddletown to swing by the hospital in Beck after you leave surgery. We can celebrate your victory over pizza, Dorothy!”

Dorothy used all of her remaining strength to grip Clara’s hands. “Clara, can you promise me…one more thing?”

“Uh, sure, what?” Clara said.

“Please, Clara…” Her voice started faltering. “Live for me.”

Clara nodded as hard as she could. “Yes, I will.”

“Friend’s honor?”

Clara smiled. “Friend’s honor.”

“Dorothy…” Demetrios was sobbing now. “You remind me so much of her…”

“You never did tell me much about them.”

“Her name…her name was Alexandra…” Demetrios said. “She was just like you. Brilliant, cheerful, devoted to everyone she loved. She would have been about your age.”

“Really?”

“I think you would’ve gotten along quite well,” Demetrios said, “As close as sisters, I’d say.”

“Sisters, huh?” Dorothy said. “That would have…been fun. I wish I…had known her. Hey, Doc?”

“Yes?

“I’d just like to say…” Darkness crept in at the edge of her vision. “Thank you…for everything…I know I wasn’t the best daughter…but I’m so happy we met…”

“S-same here!” Demetrios sobbed even harder. “I…I’m so proud of you…”

“It seems I’m…going on ahead…” Dorothy said. “I’ll tell…Alexandra…her old man…said hello. Please, Doc…”

“Yes?”

“Don’t…follow me…so soon,” Dorothy said, “Just like Clara…I’d like you to…live for me. Keep saving lives.”

“I will,” Demetrios said, “As long as I can, I’ll try.”

Dorothy chuckled. “That’s the first time…I heard you…say your first name…out loud. Thank you…Dad. Clara. For being there for me.”

As everything went dark, a strange set of images flashed by. Not much from her past to recall. Although these felt like memories, they weren’t like any memories she remembered having. The people in them were different, too. And the surroundings…were those actual buildings? With doors that weren’t airlocks? She was outside. Not out in the designated public areas of Fraternity or Beck, but truly outside in the open air, with the sun beating down on them and blue sky above them. They were on old Earth. She recognized her own body, with a notebook in her hands as would be expected. But the people around her were strange. Angelica was there, though she was dressed in casual clothes and much less serious than she appeared in the news. Julius too, looking more relaxed. There was a blond-haired woman who looked similar to the famed general Tatiana Kirova and a red-haired woman who looked a lot like Demetrios. Was that…Alexandra? If she was still alive? The man next to Alexandra was someone she hadn’t seen before. There was another man next to Dorothy. She also didn’t recognize him, but when she saw his face, she couldn’t help but feel her heart leaping in her chest and butterflies fluttering in her stomach. Love, but also…regret. She obviously didn’t experience all this herself, but a part of her inexplicably knew what she had saw had still happened, somewhere. Perhaps to some other Dorothy, in another world where they didn’t have to fight like this. Where Earth was still alive. Where Dorothy and Angelica could have been friends. Where Alexandra could have stayed alive, and the two of them could have fell in love with people who cared about them. Where they could have just…lived.

Wherever you are, whoever you are…I hope you live the life I never could have. Her job done and her mind at peace, Dorothy closed her eyes for the last time, and the monitors flatlined.

“Dorothy? DOROTHY?! DOROTHY!”

---

I know DEA establishes that Elyria I formally abolished the name “Holy Roman Empire” in 2200, but upon further reading, there’s nothing saying the name “Holy Terran Empire” had to have been introduced in that year.

Upon her Coronation, Elyria announced the official end of the Roman Empire and the old vestiges of the Past. Earth, Human, Imperial these were but names to be cast aside. After all, The Past was dead burned away by the rapture, there was now only the Terran, and their Eternal Holy Empire. May it reign for Ten Thousand Years.

So the way I see it is that Julius proclaims the Holy Terran Empire in 2039, but it is used alongside “Holy Roman Empire” until 2200, with the latter gradually falling out of use in favor of the former.

Edit: fixed a typo.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions: