The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So Dorothy was Thea all along, that answers a lot, through it's a shame Alex mostly died on Earth. Good to see you were able to work in that mech fight between Thea and Theodor in the Annionaverse, even if it was a brief one.
That's not entirely true. Alex didn't die on Earth, but he was never born to begin with because Anders was abducted by the Jotun and never returned to meet Diana.

And yeah, I was happy I managed to still do the Thea vs Theodor mecha fight in the end. If anything, that vastly improved the quality of this arc, because originally it was just going to be Julian/Angelica-focused again.
As for the Dorothy/Angelica fight, yeah that's gonna be hype, but it will probably end in tragedy for both sides. You're doing a good job making me conflicted about who to root for.
It's something I want to try doing more often in future wars I depict, including the Second Weltkrieg of ROTCE2 where I want to have viewpoint characters from all major nations. Because war is never so simple. I'm reminded of Bernie's dialogue from the end of Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket, where he says not to hate the soldiers on either side because they're just people doing what they think is right.
At the least, losing Angelica might put Julius off of war and motivate him into becoming a more peaceful and benevolent ruler, sorta like Saint Wihelmina in the later half of her reign.
On the other hand, it could also make Julius more vengeful and brutal.
Come to think of it, Angelica's motherly relationship with Julius does remind me somewhat of Gunhilda and Wihelmina's mother/daughter dynamic.
I guess so.
Lately, I've been wondering about cybernetic augmentations, mainly the question of whether you would have them be widespread and used like in Cyberpunk, Ghost in the Shell, or Dues Ex?
I'd like there to be some cybernetic augmentation, but not to the levels shown in Cyberpunk, GitS, or Deus Ex. I imagine that the use of Panopticons in this war would lead to a global stigma if not international laws against cybernetics. I'm personally not a fan of transhumanism or involved in that area, so I'm not sure I'd know how to depict it beyond what popular culture has previously done.
Also as an Attack on Titan fan, I remember its mangaka citing Muv Luv Alternative as an inspiration for his work, so I wonder if that would also be something you would draw from when finding inspiration for your mechs in the future given your recent discussion of mecha inspirations with Ghostrider?
I've vaguely heard of Muv Luv, but I don't know anything about it. I might check that out in the future.
Edit: Huh, this is the 9000th post. Kinda forgot we were hitting that milestone for a moment lol.
Exciting. And with this post, we have now reached a number of posts that is OVER 9000!:p

if only @SirDippingsauce were still here to see it...

Reactions:
“I and countless millions share the same hopes and dreams.” Dorothy remained resolute. “Millions who remember the mistakes of the past so they don’t repeat them in the future. We all have lost someone on Earth. Even now, millions are suffering on that distant blue dot, while we’re stuck over here on the red wastes killing each other. We all just want the killing to stop. We want to protect what we still have. And most of all, we want to go back and rebuild our homes. Because Earth is humanity’s home, our common birthright, and we owe it to ourselves and the next generation to make it habitable again. If you want to deny us our birthright, if you stand in the way of shared future, if you want to destroy our hopes and dreams…” She activated Durendal’s plasma blade. “Then I won’t waste my mercy on you. I will end you so thoroughly that there will be nothing for your precious Lord Julius to recover. I don’t care if you were once my brother. I will cut you down where you stand…Theodor.”

“Excellent…” Theodor said, his words dripping with a mad glee, “EXCELLENT! I’m getting some primetime entertainment with you! I do hope you’ll scream for me…Dorothea.”

“Make no mistake.” Roland got into an attacking stance. “The Dorothea Tesla you know has been gone for decades. The woman you see before you—the free woman you have no power over—is not that scared girl you once tormented. I am not your sister. I am not Dorothea Tesla. I am Dorothy. Just Dorothy.” Her computer’s proximity alarm beeped. “And I will not run again!”
That is a great reveal of who the mystery pilot was. That being said why was Theodor a autoritter pilot and not a scientist like he is in TTL and why is Thea known as Dorothea in TTL?

Theodor charged at Dorothy. She felt no panic, no fear, as he drew closer and closer. Dorothea would have curled up and begged for mercy. But not Dorothy. She wasn’t going to ask for mercy, nor give it. She steeled her whole body, devoting her entire mind to a single action. A younger her would have hoped for a different resolution to this sad tale, but there was only one way forward. As Theodor pulled back, preparing to stab out, Dorothy raised Durendal…and spun around, dodging an incoming stab to her back from the Balmung. The Balmung’s sword instead pierced clean through the body of Theodor’s autoritter. Its blade emerged on the other side, covered in blood which quickly dried in the cold and thin Martian air. Theodor didn’t even get the chance to scream.
If only Theodor was that easy to defeat in the Hohenzollernverse as he was in the Annionaverse.

As for the Dorothy/Angelica fight, yeah that's gonna be hype, but it will probably end in tragedy for both sides. You're doing a good job making me conflicted about who to root for.
Well one silver lining could be that their battle ends in a draw since I think all of Kallen and Suzaku's battles ended that way.

Lately, I've been wondering about cybernetic augmentations, mainly the question of whether you would have them be widespread and used like in Cyberpunk, Ghost in the Shell, or Deus Ex, and what they would be like in your setting?
I'd like there to be some cybernetic augmentation, but not to the levels shown in Cyberpunk, GitS, or Deus Ex. I imagine that the use of Panopticons in this war would lead to a global stigma if not international laws against cybernetics. I'm personally not a fan of transhumanism or involved in that area, so I'm not sure I'd know how to depict it beyond what popular culture has previously done.
I feel like cybernetics would be useful for veterans after the war for prosthetic's and maybe to help breath the polluted atmosphere without the need for a respirator?

Speaking off I can see TTL's Earth in the 2050's and 60's looking more like Blade Runner 2049 then The Expanse.

Lastly in the DE you said about how you wanted to make things unique and to not mirror OTL too much. Two major ways that appear to be done is through changing how WWII started and had the Soviets fall in a fireball of WWIII instead of a death from a thousand cuts. But two events that are still glaringly obvious taken from OTL are the Attack on Pearl Harbor and 9/11. Although I can't think of a good alternative for Pearl I do have one for 9/11. That being the Bojinka plot succeeding. The Bojinka plot was a planned attack in 1995 by Islamic Terrorists who planned to kill Pope John Paul II, blow up 11 airliners in flight from Asia to the United States where about 4,000 people would have died and to fly a plane into the Headquarters of the CIA. In many Reddit threads that I looked up where people had asked what would have happened if it succeeded was that this would have had a higher death count then 9/11 and would have turned the War on Terror into a Religious war.

It feels like it could be used in TTL in which the target is not the Pope but the Ecumenical Patriarch is killed and the other two phases could have happened the same way and succeeding with the terrorist being Mexica. This could have galvanized the Christian population, converted some agnostic and atheist and could explain why the occupation of Mexico was so short and could have helped pave the way for the rise of Jerusalem?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojinka_plot

Last edited:
That is a great revile of who the mystery pilot was. That being said why was Theodor a autoritter pilot and not a scientist like he is in TTL and why is Thea known as Dorothea in TTL?
I'm not going to go into details (because there aren't any—I left it up to interpretation), but the Teslas of the Annionaverse are extremely different from how they were in the Hohenzollernverse. Wilhelm Tesla wasn't born, only his sister (the mother of Anders, Anna, and Annie in both universes). From what I've revealed of Hohenzollernverse Theodor's backstory, he and Thea couldn't have been adopted by Wilhelm Tesla (because he was never born) where they could nurture their talents to the same degree as their Hohenzollernverse counterparts.

Both Theas actually have "Dorothea" as their first name. I used "Dorothea" a couple times early in Thea's arc. The Hohenzollernverse counterpart chose to shorten it to "Thea" while the Annionaverse counterpart used the other part of the name to get "Dorothy."
If only Theodor was that easy to defeat in the Hohenzollernverse as he was in the Annionaverse.
Following from the above, Hohenzollernverse Theodor only got as far as he did by exploiting Thea's talents and his family's connections to claim credit for himself. Without that, Annionaverse Theodor amounted to nothing.
Well one silver lining could be that their battle ends in a draw since I think all of Kallen and Suzaku's battles ended that way.
Or someone interrupts their fight.
I feel like cybernetics would be useful for veterans after the war for prosthetic's and maybe to help breath the polluted atmosphere without the need for a respirator?
Agreed on the prosthetics part. Even with potential social stigmas and international laws, there'd still be exceptions made for essential prosthetics. But people would balk at those who would willingly lop off their own working limbs to replace them with cybernetics or drill chips into their own brains. As for the polluted atmosphere, it's not polluted enough that respirators would be required at all times. At least in the Hohenzollernverse.
Speaking off I can see TTL's Earth in the 2050's and 60's looking more like Blade Runner 2049 then The Expanse.
I could see that, minus the rampant corporate dystopia aspect.
Lastly in the DE you said about how you wanted to make things unique and to not mirror OTL too much. Two major ways that appear to be done is through changing how WWII started and had the Soviets fall in a fireball of WWIII instead of a death from a thousand cuts. But two events that are still glaringly obvious taken from OTL are the Attack on Pearl Harbor and 9/11. Although I can't think of a good alternative for Pearl I do have one for 9/11. That being the Bojinka plot succeeding. The Bojinka plot was a planned attack in 1995 by Islamic Terrorists who planned to kill Pope John Paul II, blow up 11 airliners in flight from Asia to the United States where about 4,000 people would have died and to fly a plane into the Headquarters of the CIA. In many Reddit threads that I looked up where people had asked what would have happened if it succeeded was that this would have had a higher death count then 9/11 and would have turned the War on Terror into a Religious war.

It feels like it could be used in TTL in which the target is not the Pope but the Ecumenical Patriarch is killed and the other two phases could have happened the same way and succeeding with the terrorist being Mexica. This could have galvanized the Christian population, converted some agnostic and atheist and could explain why the occupation of Mexico was so short and could have helped pave the way for the rise of Jerusalem?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojinka_plot
World War I - You didn't mention this one but this has been bugging me for the longest time and your comments brought it to mind. I rigged Franz Ferdinand's assassination to fire on the exact day he died in OTL, pulled Gediminas Principas out of nowhere because Gavrilo was already used elsewhere, and copied the Wikipedia page on the buildup to war. If I were to redo it, I'd keep Lithuania's role in the war starting. However, Franz Ferdinand would be assassinated at home in the Reich in a different manner. Probably something like in Scott Westerfield's Leviathan trilogy, where he survived the attempted shooting and bombing but still set off the war by being poisoned later that day. Although I made Gediminas important by tying him to Uriel, I could get away with renaming him so he's not a blatantly obvious Lithuanian Gavrilo Princip. Might also give Gavrilo a new last name in keeping with my desire to move away from direct counterparts to OTL, though that might clash with TESB (probably won't matter in DE anyways since it's impractical to add the entirety of TESB there too). Same with Franz Ferdinand and all of the other previous heirs, it's just too obvious what I'm doing. Anyways, the assassination wouldn't be the only trigger to the war, but there'd be other major geopolitical crises happening at the same time, and the assassination would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Like there could be colonial revolts in Africa in both the Indian and Roman colonies as well as another Kaffa crisis (which would foreshadow the future geopolitical contention there doing the Cold War), tensions on the rise between Kanata and the Meskwaki Empire, the Mexica Empire continuing its internal collapse (maybe even erupting into a civil war like the Spanish Civil War in that multiple world powers and neighboring countries intervene on behalf of different factions), and anti-Chinese nationalist sentiments on the rise in Southeast Asia, Penglai, and Fusang. The assassination merely draws the Reich and its allies into a direct conflict against China and Lithuania.

World War II - Something similar happened here when I rigged the start of the war to happen at the same day as OTL. I suppose I could flesh out India's conquests in Central Asia more in a way that doesn't repeat Nazi Germany's prewar expansion and Chamberlain's appeasement. I should move China's attack up a few years, because with Angelos doing what he's doing there's no way China would wait until 1941. Admittedly I wasn't too familiar with the context of the Pearl Harbor attacks at the time, relying mainly on Wikipedia and my college history textbooks. Now I'd like to significantly rework it so it's not just an attack on Singapura, but a simultaneous attack on all Roman and Indian possessions in Asia and the Pacific, just as OTL's attack was. And it would happen roughly a month into the war, once it became clear the Reich was in no position to stop the attack. The Angeloi's Operation Dragonslayer would still happen around 1941, at the height of Angelos' power. Although China would technically have been at war with the Angeloi as well since 1939, the two sides wouldn't be in direct conflict until now, when most of the Reich is under Angeloi control. Instead of sudden invasions of the Chinese mainland, it would first be Angeloi counteroffensives that retake Indochina and Southeast Asia before pushing into Vietnam and Qiandao. Then they would be in a position to invade the mainland.

World War III - I'm not sure what you mean here? Aside from drawing on declassified NATO and Soviet warplans for the start, the war was almost completely original. Though I could have China do more and tie into its own democratization soon afterward, as we previously discussed.

November 9 attack and Mexico War - I've made too many references to it to change it too much now. The X-Division's arcs were influenced by what happened on November 9, especially Diana and by extension Alex, though he wasn't born yet. Though I do see what you mean. As with the reworks for Franz Ferdinand's assassination and China's entry into WW2, I could change and expand the scope. There'd be attacks on the towers, though I could probably change the twin towers to a single tower. There'd be the assassination of the Ecumenical Patriarch and attacks on the Athanatoi headquarters and other government buildings. Other planes would be crashed into other landmarks and important government, military, and religious buildings. Oh, and I could probably move the assassination of Elisabeth Alexandra to the same day. I know that would mess with the "Eleven Days in Autumn" chapter and the finale chapters of the first X-Division arc, but it would make sense given Sentinel's involvement. And as you said, the assassination of the Ecumenical Patriarch would turn this war into a religious one. Schröder's justification for invading Mexico is already flimsy as it is. I literally took everything George Bush and his conservative Republican administration did and laid it on top of one of Germany's social democratic chancellors (even if real Schröder ended up associating with Russia among other things). It never sat well with me. I said that I wanted to give the modern chancellors original names to separate them from their OTL counterparts, but I still want to rework the leadup to the war in Mexico. Giving it a religious component would allow the nationalism Kohl unleashed to take on a religious tone, which would naturally lead to Jerusalem. And with the entire Christian population riled up, a good chunk of the Church also radicalized after losing its leader, and the Kaiser's favorite daughter dead, not even a secular chancellor could stop the march to war. As for the reason the occupation was so short, that needs a better reason, because with the Christian population and leadership of the Reich out for blood, they would want to stay there until the "heathen threat" was completely eliminated. So maybe the Eimericans banded together to wrest leadership of the occupation from the Reich, creating a sense of unity that would lead to the EF by 2020. The other occupation partners also withdrew to force the Reich to also withdraw so as to avoid shouldering the logistical, financial, and physical burden on its own. This forced withdrawal would leave a sour taste in the still bloodthirsty Roman population, which would lead to further religious revival and radicalization due to the sentiment that the heathen terrorists were never properly punished for their crimes against Christendom.

Reactions:
Wilhelm Tesla wasn't born, only his sister (the mother of Anders, Anna, and Annie in both universes).
Wait a minute. Wilhelm Tesla is related to Anders and his family and if so wouldn't that make Hohenzollernverse Thea and Alex related?

From what I've revealed of Hohenzollernverse Theodor's backstory, he and Thea couldn't have been adopted by Wilhelm Tesla (because he was never born)
I remember in the Fringe arc Wilhelm being in the Twin Towers in the Annionaverse because he meet Hohenzollernverse Angela and I think the Hohenzollernverse one was still around so why would you say that he was not born?

Both Theas actually have "Dorothea" as their first name. I used "Dorothea" a couple times early in Thea's arc. The Hohenzollernverse counterpart chose to shorten it to "Thea" while the Annionaverse counterpart used the other part of the name to get "Dorothy."
Thinking about this got me thinking about other characters like Annie, Anna, Diana, Walter and Sylvia are doing in the Annionaverse like if they survived WWIII or not and are on Mars?

I could see that, minus the rampant corporate dystopia aspect.
Yea. I was originally thinking more along the lines of the environment having gone down the toilet and not megacorporation's. However to be fair Tesla Dynamics was for all intents and purposes a megacorporation since TTL did not have a Progressive Era nor a leader like Teddy Roosevelt and since many of the worlds nations will be wrecked after the war corporations could take their place?

World War I - You didn't mention this one but this has been bugging me for the longest time and your comments brought it to mind. I rigged Franz Ferdinand's assassination to fire on the exact day he died in OTL, pulled Gediminas Principas out of nowhere because Gavrilo was already used elsewhere, and copied the Wikipedia page on the buildup to war. If I were to redo it, I'd keep Lithuania's role in the war starting. However, Franz Ferdinand would be assassinated at home in the Reich in a different manner. Probably something like in Scott Westerfield's Leviathan trilogy, where he survived the attempted shooting and bombing but still set off the war by being poisoned later that day. Although I made Gediminas important by tying him to Uriel, I could get away with renaming him so he's not a blatantly obvious Lithuanian Gavrilo Princip. Might also give Gavrilo a new last name in keeping with my desire to move away from direct counterparts to OTL, though that might clash with TESB (probably won't matter in DE anyways since it's impractical to add the entirety of TESB there too). Same with Franz Ferdinand and all of the other previous heirs, it's just too obvious what I'm doing. Anyways, the assassination wouldn't be the only trigger to the war, but there'd be other major geopolitical crises happening at the same time, and the assassination would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Like there could be colonial revolts in Africa in both the Indian and Roman colonies as well as another Kaffa crisis (which would foreshadow the future geopolitical contention there doing the Cold War), tensions on the rise between Kanata and the Meskwaki Empire, the Mexica Empire continuing its internal collapse (maybe even erupting into a civil war like the Spanish Civil War in that multiple world powers and neighboring countries intervene on behalf of different factions), and anti-Chinese nationalist sentiments on the rise in Southeast Asia, Penglai, and Fusang. The assassination merely draws the Reich and its allies into a direct conflict against China and Lithuania.
World War II - Something similar happened here when I rigged the start of the war to happen at the same day as OTL. I suppose I could flesh out India's conquests in Central Asia more in a way that doesn't repeat Nazi Germany's prewar expansion and Chamberlain's appeasement. I should move China's attack up a few years, because with Angelos doing what he's doing there's no way China would wait until 1941. Admittedly I wasn't too familiar with the context of the Pearl Harbor attacks at the time, relying mainly on Wikipedia and my college history textbooks. Now I'd like to significantly rework it so it's not just an attack on Singapura, but a simultaneous attack on all Roman and Indian possessions in Asia and the Pacific, just as OTL's attack was. And it would happen roughly a month into the war, once it became clear the Reich was in no position to stop the attack. The Angeloi's Operation Dragonslayer would still happen around 1941, at the height of Angelos' power. Although China would technically have been at war with the Angeloi as well since 1939, the two sides wouldn't be in direct conflict until now, when most of the Reich is under Angeloi control. Instead of sudden invasions of the Chinese mainland, it would first be Angeloi counteroffensives that retake Indochina and Southeast Asia before pushing into Vietnam and Qiandao. Then they would be in a position to invade the mainland.
You are right in that I never mentioned about WWI but it would be good that the causes for it starting in TTL should not be the same as OTL.

For WWII I remember in a previous conversation in were Markos Angelos takes over and invites other fascist nations in to sure up his regime. You could keep that. Another gripe I have with WWII is how according to the HOI3 maps the loyalist only had a few small villages and were being squeezed on all sides. I would recommend giving them more land like have it be like the French situation in were you have Vichy France/The Angelos with the African colonies being home to the "Free Reich Forces". The loyalist could start their reconquest by securing Africa then invade Europe followed by the end of the war battles between them and China?

World War III - I'm not sure what you mean here? Aside from drawing on declassified NATO and Soviet warplans for the start, the war was almost completely original. Though I could have China do more and tie into its own democratization soon afterward, as we previously discussed.
I was saying that it was good how you changed the fall of the Soviets from a death by a thousand cuts of OTL to a ball of fire. You could say the Soviets in TTL "fell into a burring ring of fire"? ;)

November 9 attack and Mexico War - I've made too many references to it to change it too much now. The X-Division's arcs were influenced by what happened on November 9, especially Diana and by extension Alex, though he wasn't born yet. Though I do see what you mean. As with the reworks for Franz Ferdinand's assassination and China's entry into WW2, I could change and expand the scope. There'd be attacks on the towers, though I could probably change the twin towers to a single tower. There'd be the assassination of the Ecumenical Patriarch and attacks on the Athanatoi headquarters and other government buildings. Other planes would be crashed into other landmarks and important government, military, and religious buildings. Oh, and I could probably move the assassination of Elisabeth Alexandra to the same day. I know that would mess with the "Eleven Days in Autumn" chapter and the finale chapters of the first X-Division arc, but it would make sense given Sentinel's involvement. And as you said, the assassination of the Ecumenical Patriarch would turn this war into a religious one. Schröder's justification for invading Mexico is already flimsy as it is. I literally took everything George Bush and his conservative Republican administration did and laid it on top of one of Germany's social democratic chancellors (even if real Schröder ended up associating with Russia among other things). It never sat well with me. I said that I wanted to give the modern chancellors original names to separate them from their OTL counterparts, but I still want to rework the leadup to the war in Mexico. Giving it a religious component would allow the nationalism Kohl unleashed to take on a religious tone, which would naturally lead to Jerusalem. And with the entire Christian population riled up, a good chunk of the Church also radicalized after losing its leader, and the Kaiser's favorite daughter dead, not even a secular chancellor could stop the march to war. As for the reason the occupation was so short, that needs a better reason, because with the Christian population and leadership of the Reich out for blood, they would want to stay there until the "heathen threat" was completely eliminated. So maybe the Eimericans banded together to wrest leadership of the occupation from the Reich, creating a sense of unity that would lead to the EF by 2020. The other occupation partners also withdrew to force the Reich to also withdraw so as to avoid shouldering the logistical, financial, and physical burden on its own. This forced withdrawal would leave a sour taste in the still bloodthirsty Roman population, which would lead to further religious revival and radicalization due to the sentiment that the heathen terrorists were never properly punished for their crimes against Christendom.
Turing the attacks into a Reich wide thing would make a lot more sense then just blowing up 11 Plaines in mid air like OTL's plan seemed to call for. That way you have more people affected by it leading to the rise in right-wing extremism.

'd like there to be some cybernetic augmentation, but not to the levels shown in Cyberpunk, GitS, or Deus Ex. I imagine that the use of Panopticons in this war would lead to a global stigma if not international laws against cybernetics. I'm personally not a fan of transhumanism or involved in that area, so I'm not sure I'd know how to depict it beyond what popular culture has previously done.
Agreed on the prosthetics part. Even with potential social stigmas and international laws, there'd still be exceptions made for essential prosthetics. But people would balk at those who would willingly lop off their own working limbs to replace them with cybernetics or drill chips into their own brains. As for the polluted atmosphere, it's not polluted enough that respirators would be required at all times. At least in the Hohenzollernverse.
Hmm, I wonder if Deus Ex style nano augmentations would be a viable alternative to cybernetics, since you wouldn't have to lose limbs or go through extensive surgery to get a nanites injection?
Perhaps you could make Franz‘s assassin a Polish nationalist backed by Lithuania, which could canonize and tie back into Lithuania’s connection with Polish heretical groups during the Commonwealth and Fifty Years War. Also it would be an instance of the Reich’s sins from Saint Wihelmina’s purges coming back to bite it. You could also foreshadow the assassination more by having his assassin appear before hand, since Gediminas was Gavrillo's cousin in the original timeline.
Well WW2 started a few months before OTL and Turkestan lasted longer than OTL Poland, so you could flesh out India's conquests and Abyssina's adventures in Africa. I agree about having China involved earlier in the war, although I wonder what would stop them from steamrolling India like what in HOI3. Also maybe you could have the Soviets play the Angeloi, Indians, Chinese, and Loyalists off each other in order to delay a potential invasion and prepare for their entry into the war.

Also I wonder to what level Gaberial was aware of the Worm and the threat it posed, and if that motivated his actions? This and him seeming to have predicted the rise of Jerusalem based on the quotes I highlighted before could make him a more nuanced antagonist, as someone who wants to unite humanity and the angels against a greater threat but goes about it the wrong way.
Turing the attacks into a Reich wide thing would make a lot more sense then just blowing up 11 Plaines in mid air like OTL's plan seemed to call for. That way you have more people affected by it leading to the rise in right-wing extremism.
I mean November 9 is already a much larger event than OTL with its death toll and number of targets, so I think we're good if we add in the Ecumenical Patriarch's assassination and place more emphasis on the New Berlin attack, since that's the most devasting one, but keep it otherwise the same. Maybe you could add attacks on Roman allies too, like Kanata, Fusang, and Mayapan. As for the war on terror taking on a religious aspect, I like the idea of the Mexican occupation being so brutal due to religiously motivated war crimes (Panopticons were tested in Mexico after all, so there's plenty of room to make connections to Jerusalem with the Mexico War), to the point it ironically helps create MSC, that the rest of the Eimercas come together to kick out the Romans, with them finally getting the global support necessary to do so when the Sentinel files expose Roman involvment with Zoltan's regime and discredit the occupation.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Wilhelm Tesla is related to Anders and his family and if so wouldn't that make Hohenzollernverse Thea and Alex related?
Theodor and Thea were from a very distant branch of the family relative to Wilhelm and his sister, and they were a few generations younger too, so really the only thing they share is the family name at this point. I also mentioned this early on because I expected this to come up.
I remember in the Fringe arc Wilhelm being in the Twin Towers in the Annionaverse because he meet Hohenzollernverse Angela and I think the Hohenzollernverse one was still around so why would you say that he was not born?
That was Hohenzollernverse Wilhelm Tesla, who had found a way to safely cross over to the Annionaverse but found he had no counterpart there. Every time you’ve seen him, it’s always been the Hohenzollernverse counterpart, because the Annionaverse one doesn’t exist. We should be lucky there weren’t two of them.
Thinking about this got me thinking about other characters like Annie, Anna, Diana, Walter and Sylvia are doing in the Annionaverse like if they survived WWIII or not and are on Mars?
Earlier in this arc I implied Sylvia didn’t make it to Mars. The Annionaverse X-Division team most likely died in the nuclear war as I previously said.
Yea. I was originally thinking more along the lines of the environment having gone down the toilet and not megacorporation's. However to be fair Tesla Dynamics was for all intents and purposes a megacorporation since TTL did not have a Progressive Era nor a leader like Teddy Roosevelt and since many of the worlds nations will be wrecked after the war corporations could take their place?
The environment would be badly damaged with all of the nukes that dropped, but the radiation would go away within a few years, unless it’s India where Jerusalem most likely used cobalt warheads. The extremely unrestricted use of chemical weapons in Scandinavia, Lithuania, Russia, and India would leave those regions uninhabitable wastelands for centuries. But the massive drop in human population—over one billion directly from the war so far, and most certainly a lot more from famine, disease, exposure, and the like as a result of the breakdown of globalized society—would lead to nature making a comeback in the most depopulated regions. Carbon emissions would drop, and the global average temperature probably would not rebound so fast after the nuclear winter. The environment might start healing with fewer people creating emissions. Though the sheer amount of rotting biomass giving off methane and carbon dioxide while decomposing might offset that. Regardless, a reduced human population moving forward would lead to reduced emissions. Don’t be fooled though, because it could only have been brought about by genocide, unrestricted use of WMDs, the destruction of global society, the toppling of various liberal regimes, a massive loss in human rights, and a giant world war. I bet there was an environmentalist faction within Jerusalem which pushed for the war solely to bring this around. Yet another way that environmentalism could be demonized after the war.

Tesla Dynamic was effectively a megacorporation, yes. But it’s closer to the Japanese zaibatsus and postwar keiretsus than to the American robber baron monopolies of the early 1900s. And for all of their economic clout, they were never close to enacting the kind of regulatory capture we see examples of in real life today, at least until Jerusalem began and it became intertwined with the new regime.

If anything, the corporations would collapse before the governments do, since they depend on people buying their goods and services. What happens when their customers die and aren’t replaced? When the materials to manufacture their goods aren’t delivered? When the workers providing the services are also dead? When the global supply chain is so thoroughly devastated and local alternatives don’t exist because globalization and neoliberalism encouraged foreign outsourcing? The corporations can no longer make money, and once their reserves run out, they crumble. Sure, some CEOs and executives might withdraw everything from their accounts and escape to a country that hasn’t been hit by the war (at this point it would only be Ryukyu), but their currency’s value might have dropped so much that they barely get that much exchanged in the new currency, if at all, and they lost most of their resources and connections with which to set up and run a company. In short, corporations depend on a developed economy for survival more than governments do. That’s not to say governments can’t survive without an economy, but corporations are much more vulnerable to economic shocks and collapses.
You are right in that I never mentioned about WWI but it would be good that the causes for it starting in TTL should not be the same as OTL.
Yeah, I felt really annoyed by it the instant I wrote the chapter. I don’t know what I was thinking when I played the session.
For WWII I remember in a previous conversation in were Markos Angelos takes over and invites other fascist nations in to sure up his regime. You could keep that. Another gripe I have with WWII is how according to the HOI3 maps the loyalist only had a few small villages and were being squeezed on all sides. I would recommend giving them more land like have it be like the French situation in were you have Vichy France/The Angelos with the African colonies being home to the "Free Reich Forces". The loyalist could start their reconquest by securing Africa then invade Europe followed by the end of the war battles between them and China?
The way I’d justify it is that the game map is another abstraction, and much of the loyalist territories that are officially “occupied” in game terms remain contested by loyalist forces and the resistance, with only Athens, Constantinople, and the surrounding areas firmly under loyalist control. Though I do agree that there should be greater loyalist presence in Africa which would contribute to turning the tides.
I was saying that it was good how you changed the fall of the Soviets from a death by a thousand cuts of OTL to a ball of fire
Ah, okay then.
Yes indeed. And it would be a neat way to show the evolution from Kohl’s anti-Russian nationalism to Jerusalem’s religious fundamentalism.
Perhaps you could make Franz‘s assassin a Polish nationalist backed by Lithuania, which could canonize and tie back into Lithuania’s connection with Polish heretical groups during the Commonwealth and Fifty Years War. Also it would be an instance of the Reich’s sins from Saint Wihelmina’s purges coming back to bite it. You could also foreshadow the assassination more by having his assassin appear before hand, since Gediminas was Gavrillo's cousin in the original timeline.
I’d like to keep the killer Gavrilo’s cousin, but I could give the family Polish ancestry for the tie-in as you mentioned.
Well WW2 started a few months before OTL and Turkestan lasted longer than OTL Poland, so you could flesh out India's conquests and Abyssina's adventures in Africa. I agree about having China involved earlier in the war. Also maybe you could have the Soviets play the Angeloi, Indians, Chinese, and Loyalists off each other in order to delay a potential invasion and prepare for their entry into the war.
Now that you mentioned Turkestan, I think I have an idea for its role in the early stages of the war. But first I have to go back to the Timurids and thr Ghaznavids of the 15th century to explain everything. Timurid rule led to migrations of Turkic peoples, among others, throughout Central Asia, while Indian rule led to Indian settlement and Indianization of locals. By the 19th century the regions of Indian Central Asia are a mix of Turkic peoples, Pashtuns, Indians, Indianized locals, and other peoples, to say nothing about the religious situation being split between Hindus, Slavs, Zunists, Tengriists, Zoroastrians, and even a few remnant Muslims. So after World War I, China splits the region into the Slavic Turkestan, the Zunist Afghanistan, and a third Hindu buffer state with no historical basis to give China an Indian Ocean port. The independent Turkestan doesn’t include the regions of Chinese Turkestan where the Ghaznavid Khaganate was deposed, so the Turks there clamor for independence as well. Meanwhile, the arbitrarily drawn borders only provide more ethnic and religious violence, while the Hindu buffer state with no historical basis further radicalizes Gandhi’s regime. Now we reach WW2. By now, China realizes independent Turkestan could be useful as a buffer state against the Russians and Indians, the latter of which has annexed the Hindu state and is now threatening to invade Afghanistan. So when the invasion finally comes, China props up Turkestan with advisors and materiel in a bid to bloody India as much as possible without a direct confrontation. When it becomes clear Turkestan will fall, Chinese troops occupy as much of the remains as they can and integrate it into Chinese Turkestan. The rest is partitioned by the Russians and Indians. Russia plays China off against India, exploiting continuing ethnic and religious tensions in Central Asia, to prevent either from attacking it directly until Angelos begins his invasion. After the war, China redraws the borders of Central Asia to recreate Turkestan and Afghanistan, the former of which now has some more parts of Chinese Turkestan that haven’t been Sinicized.

As for Abyssinia’s role in the war, I’d like to elaborate on that too. No ideas yet. Maybe they’d push for something like pan-Africanism?
I mean November 9 is already a much larger event than OTL with its death toll and number of targets, so I think we're good if we add in the Ecumenical Patriarch's assassination and place more emphasis on the New Berlin attack, since that's the most devasting one, but keep it otherwise the same. Maybe you could add attacks on Roman allies too, like Kanata, Fusang, and Mayapan. As for the war on terror taking on a religious aspect, I like the idea of the Mexican occupation being so brutal due to religiously motivated war crimes (Panopticons were tested in Mexico after all, so there's plenty of room to make connections to Jerusalem with the Mexico War), to the point it ironically helps create MSC, that the rest of the Eimercas come together to kick out the Romans, with them finally getting the global support necessary to do so when the Sentinel files expose Roman involvment with Zoltan's regime and discredit the occupation.
That would be a good way of recontextualizing the war and tying in with the Sentinel files and the rise of Jerusalem. As it currently stands, the occupation is basically what happened in OTL, only with a vague “not as bad as OTL,” then the Romans just pack up and leave at the end. This is a much better way of explaining why they left—they were so vengeful and violent their own allies were starting to abandon them, and they were digging themselves an even deeper hole by continuing the cycle of hatred and violent retaliation

@GhostRider124 I saw you had a response about Deus Ex-style nanomachines before it disappeared just now while refreshing. I’m not sure if you want an answer, but I will be covering nanomachines and their various uses in the future. It might not be like how they’re used in Deus Ex, but I think there’s big potential in their applications with regards to the human body.

Reactions:
@GhostRider124 I saw you had a response about Deus Ex-style nanomachines before it disappeared just now while refreshing. I’m not sure if you want an answer, but I will be covering nanomachines and their various uses in the future. It might not be like how they’re used in Deus Ex, but I think there’s big potential in their applications with regards to the human body.
That was actually my question, but if you're planning on covering it later, then I'll wait till then to avoid spoilers.

I also edited this in my previous post, but I'll reiterate here since you didn't see it. Regarding the narrative side of the WW2 rework, I wonder to what level Gaberial was aware of the Worm and the threat it posed, and if that motivated his actions? This and him seeming to have predicted the rise of Jerusalem based on the quotes I highlighted before could make him a more nuanced antagonist, as someone who wants to unite humanity and the angels against a greater threat but goes about it the wrong way.

That was actually my question, but if you're planning on covering it later, then I'll wait till then to avoid spoilers.
Yeah, I just saw your edit. Sorry.

It’s not really a spoiler since it’s going to be more of a worldbuilding detail when I get to it. But I’ll tag my preliminary ideas it just in case.

Getting nanomachines wouldn’t be an incredibly invasive process, unless it’s of the Jotun black oil kind that Pavel and the Syndicate used. I see nanomachines as being used as an aid during surgeries or for on the go first aid treatment. They can be introduced to the body via injection or pill. Inside the body, they can be programmed to carry out certain functions, like repairing damaged tissue, targeting cancerous cells, helping with chronic conditions, or managing disorders. In rare cases, they could be used fo temporarily shore up damaged organs until transplants arrive. By this point, there should be comprehensive tissue regeneration treatments ready to go, so nanomachines might even help with that. But since tissue regeneration is a thing at this point, there’d be little point in keeping cybernetic limbs or organs when they can be grown back. This does however push us towards the other side of transhumanism, which in Stellaris would be the biological ascension path. I’m not going to address it right now, but I have an idea.

Nanomachines would not be the end result. You’re not going to see a major movement to replace your body or large parts of it with nanomachines, though I suspect some of the crazier transhumanists might try (and fail, because that would be beyond the nanomachines’ programming). Mainstream use of nanomachines as they relate to the human body would focus on fixing and maintaining biological processes, not replacing them.

In non-medical fields, it might be used in the future as a control interface for mech pilots, though with significant restrictions as to not repeat the Panopticons. This would be very far in the future, probably as a counter to psionic pilots who would innately have far better synchronization with their machines. I’m reminded of the Newtypes of UC Gundam and of the Coordinators of SEED and how normal people in both continuities try to even the playing field.

I also edited this in my previous post, but I'll reiterate here since you didn't see it. Regarding the narrative side of the WW2 rework, I wonder to what level Gaberial was aware of the Worm and the threat it posed, and if that motivated his actions? This and him seeming to have predicted the rise of Jerusalem based on the quotes I highlighted before could make him a more nuanced antagonist, as someone who wants to unite humanity and the angels against a greater threat but goes about it the wrong way.
I haven’t really thought about it other than to make throwaway jokes, but you make a good point. Perhaps he sought to replace God because he feared Heaven with a missing God wouldn’t survive the Worm. He could even have taken inspiration from Wilhelm’s escape feom the alternate 1453 and his actions in the 11th century, giving their conflict a more personal angle.

Reactions:
That final bit on their 'joust' though, made me think of Jetstream Sam's boss fight music playing as Dorothy and Angelica duke it out in the sands of Mars. So the crazed dude was Theodor eh? It seems compared to his Hohenzollern counterpart, this one got a comeuppance that turned him loony. Good to know he got taken out soon.

Still, knowing how the Annoniaverse is gonna go, it's gonna suck this whole thing was doomed to end with Julius emerging victorious, ah well, at least Dorothy got to insult the boy emperor on his age lmao

That final bit on their 'joust' though, made me think of Jetstream Sam's boss fight music playing as Dorothy and Angelica duke it out in the sands of Mars. So the crazed dude was Theodor eh? It seems compared to his Hohenzollern counterpart, this one got a comeuppance that turned him loony. Good to know he got taken out soon.
Getting nuked tends to turn people loony.
Still, knowing how the Annoniaverse is gonna go, it's gonna suck this whole thing was doomed to end with Julius emerging victorious, ah well, at least Dorothy got to insult the boy emperor on his age lmao
I love how snarky I wrote Dorothy here.

the Mexica Empire continuing its internal collapse (maybe even erupting into a civil war like the Spanish Civil War in that multiple world powers and neighboring countries intervene on behalf of different factions)
Maybe you could have the Mexica Empire go through something like the Mexican Revolution where the whole country falls into chaos and civil war for decades as the old imperial regime declines and the Equalists and proto Paulluists fighting each other to see who gets to become the new government, with the Equalists emerging triumphant and reigning until the Paulluists overthrow them. I guess that intervention you talked about would have been like US intervention in Mexico during the revolution.

That being said, what are you're plans for the Purepecha for DE, as I don't think you did much with them while they were indepdent before they got conquered by Mexico again.
That would be a good way of recontextualizing the war and tying in with the Sentinel files and the rise of Jerusalem. As it currently stands, the occupation is basically what happened in OTL, only with a vague “not as bad as OTL,” then the Romans just pack up and leave at the end. This is a much better way of explaining why they left—they were so vengeful and violent their own allies were starting to abandon them, and they were digging themselves an even deeper hole by continuing the cycle of hatred and violent retaliation
Maybe that could have been one of the motivating factors for the Nahua spring to occur, backlash against Roman influence and the increasingly heavy-handed treatment of Nahuas by Roman allies like Mayapan, Fusang, and Hasiinay.

A Sol of Ends and Beginnings, Part 6
Mars orbit​

Fraternity
was first and foremost a scientific research ship. Radiators, sensors, and RCS thrusters dotted its hulls. It had few defensive capabilities other than its missile launchers. On the other hand, Gradivus bristled with prototype directed energy weapons, nuclear missile launch tubes, high power machine guns, laser point defense networks, and most importantly railguns. The defenseless Fraternity stood no chance. Had Julius ordered its destruction, Gradivus could easily have obliterated Fraternity from a distance. But the emperor wanted to show some mercy. So Captain Reinhard Higa put Gradivus on a high-g burn towards Fraternity before executing an equally high-g deceleration to match Fraternity’s velocity. Fraternity apparently did not see Gradivus approaching with its sensors, even before the micrometeorites hit. But now Gradivus was too close to be targeted with missiles, as the debris created would most certainly hit Fraternity at such a close range. Gradivus, its hull reinforced by a second layer of armor, had no such flaw and opened fire with a broadsides salvo right out of the Age of Sail, one that would make Ar Morlaer Rouanez proud. Analysts had constantly harped to Julius that any serious space battles would only take place at long range. Determined to prove them wrong, despite knowing that longer range would reduce casualties, Julius ordered Higa to close in to what he called “knife fight” range and unleash hell. And so Higa did. The emperor wanted a glorious battle with a clear winner, despite ordering Fraternity to be captured intact.

Once the machine guns and lasers had taken out all of the missile launchers, it was now completely safe for the boarding parties to cross. Gradivus fired its starboard thrusters, pushing it closer and closer until it rammed into Fraternity’s side, heavily scratching the latter’s nameplate. Grappling cables were deployed along the length of the two ships, puncturing deep into Fraternity’s hull and keeping Gradivus in alignment. As both Fraternity and Gradivus were third generation Nomad-class ARC ships, both ships’ airlocks were in the same place relative to each other, so they could be aligned with no issues.

In one of the airlocks, Commander Tetsuya Hochenburg listened to the sound of hissing air as pressures equalized and a seal was established. He unsheathed his two daggers and held them in reverse grips. They were curved like the fangs of a wolf, and the light of the airlock reflected off the line of red paint running down their middles, almost like a trail of blood. The blades were lightweight, and the hilts fit perfectly in his calloused hands. A “knife fight” indeed. They had served him well since he was still in Nebenstrand.

Around him, the rest of the boarding party readied their swords, daggers, axes, and naginata. The hulls of Fraternity were not built to withstand a firefight, so a regular bullet could easily puncture through multiple layers and potentially cause an atmospheric breach. Therefore, they carried melee weapons instead of guns. Fraternity’s crew still used guns, but the above structural flaws would force them to hesitate before shooting, to avoid breaching the outer hull. Explosives were also ruled out for the same reasons.

“Weapons check.” One by one, everybody affirmed they were ready.

Hai!”

“Good. Remember, no harming civilians.”

Hai!”

The light turned from red to green with a beep, and the door slid open.

“Let’s show these UN traitors the power of true men!”

Hai!”

Gradivus’ computer technicians overrode the security on Fraternity’s doors and forced them open, revealing a line of UN soldiers. “Attack!” The boarding party charged. The UN soldiers hesitated, at first assuming that the increased artificial gravity of Fraternity would instantly pin them to the floor. However, Tetsuya’s crew was unfazed. They had spent months training on an imperial space station that generated spin gravity at 1g. So while their enemies hesitated and tried to comprehend why they weren’t acting any differently, Tetsuya buried his daggers in the shoulder and neck of the nearest soldier like a viper sinking its fangs into prey.

Now too close for the enemy to aim their rifles, he moved on to the next one, stabbing deep into the man’s back twice. By now, the rest of his team had caught up with him, and they set upon the UN soldiers with the ferociousness of animals, tuning out their screams and pleas. Once they were done, all that was left of their enemies were scattered piles of flesh, spilled entrails, and splatters of blood on all four sides of the airlock.

“The way is clear,” Tetsuya radioed, “Send the rest.”

“Proceed…Crimson Viper,” Captain Higa said.

Yes, that’s who I am, no matter what.

---

“Shrapnel wound in the abdomen.”

“Blood pressure is 110 over 70.”

Papadopoulos looked over the new patient. He had been carried in on a stretcher, with a decently large gash across his side. A piece of metal stuck out of it. It could be treated with enough time, but there were three more patients behind him, and the line was only getting longer every few seconds. Papadopoulos wrote the number 2 on the patient’s hand. “Start an IV. Send him to the others.”

“Yes, Doc.”

The next patient arrived. Her arm was broken, and her face was covered in bruises. This diagnosis was easier. Papadopoulos wrote the number 1. “Set that bone and give her some ice.”

After that, another man was carried in on a stretcher. This one…well, he was still breathing, but there was so much blood and exposed innards that he couldn’t tell where the wounds ended. He probably could figure it out, but again, he was out of time. It pained him to do so, but as a doctor, he had to save as many lives as possible. He wrote a 3. “Get him some morphine.”

Save as many lives as possible…yes, to make up for my utter failure. But all I have done is run again. I’m still a coward, am I?

He walked over to another patient in priority 2. “Lie back, just relax.” The woman nodded and tried to relax. Papadopoulos waved down another medic. “Start a transfusion.”

He continued making the rounds, pointing out things the rest of his team might have missed and making sure every patient got the appropriate level of care they could provide. Suddenly, Fraternity shook as another missile hit somewhere. The lights flickered. Papadopoulos resumed walking, but as he raised his foot, it didn’t come back down. His other foot pushed off the floor, leaving him flailing helplessly in the air, completely weightless. It seemed the missile hit close to Dorothy’s reactor. How dare they mess with her work, there will be hell to pay when she finds out—wait, I should really focus on getting out of this mess. He tapped his heels, and the emergency electromagnets on the bottom of his shoes activated, pulling him back to the floor. He looked around, identifying which patients needed help the most. The rest of his staff had also engaged their mag-shoes, and now they were helping patients back into their beds and stretchers. But almost every patient’s groans and screams of pain had intensified. Without gravity, blood couldn’t drain from wounds and would instead pool inside the body, causing more damage. The gravity had to come back on soon, or his shift would take a turn for the worst. Come on, Dorothy, work your magic.

Fortunately, the gravity plating reactivated seconds later, and everything not pinned down now fell back to the floor. Nothing shattered or broke. Exposed sharp edges were a danger to doctors and their patients, especially in zero-g when they could fly around at random. So everything was designed to avoid that.

Thanks, Dorothy. He looked up one of the walls. There were no windows, but he knew the surface was in that direction. Down there, Dorothy was still fighting. Please stay safe.

(Stories - Code Geass)​

Outside Beck

Across the plains of Arabia Terra, the Balmung and Roland charged at one another, locking swords for the briefest of moments before disengaging and retreating. The two autoritters alternatively circled and pursued each other across the red hills and craters, looking for any openings. Every time Durendal’s plasma blade activated, Angelica made sure the Balmung stayed clear of it, sometimes dodging with only a split second and several inches to spare. In response, Dorothy reduced the frequency at which she activated the plasma. Sometimes, a regular sword attack would suddenly become charged with plasma mid-swing. Other times, the plasma would activate only after the steel blade made contact. Still, Angelica managed to avoid critical damage by pulling back, displaying incredible reflexes and intuition. The Balmung was now permanently in wheeled mode for the extra speed and agility, and the Roland followed suit. Dorothy had the advantage in specs and physical ability of the pilot. Being used to 1g allowed her to withstand far greater g-forces, so she could easily execute turns, jumps, and accelerations far beyond what Angelica’s body could take. Angelica knew this, of course, and adopted a more defensive stance. She had two advantages over Dorothy. First, even though the Roland’s latency was far smaller than the Balmung’s, Angelica had spent the last few years customizing the Balmung to perfectly respond to her piloting style. Second, she had far more combat experience than Dorothy. That would be enough to level the playing field. The Roland might run circles around the Balmung, and Durendal could cut through nearly anything, but if Angelica left no openings or anything to cut, she could stall Dorothy until the plasma generator ran out of power.

I need to keep my distance. That autoritter’s speed and maneuverability are truly astonishing. But Dorothy’s movements follow a pattern. Initial attack head-on, no feints, but she might break out the plasma at the last second. Dodge that, she moves to avoid my counterattack. So if I can make use of that pattern…

Dorothy approached head-on for another attack, drawing Durendal back. Right, here she comes. Now I just need to… At the last minute, just as Durendal’s plasma activated, Angelica gunned her throttle and shifted to the left, then slashed from the side, aiming at the Roland’s legs. Dorothy jumped over Angelica’s sword. Good, and with that… Angelica used the momentum from her swing to turn around and kick the Roland’s back. The spin put immense strain on her body, and she was unable to fully commit to the kick, so the damage was minimal. Damnit, I miscalculated the amount of g-force in that spin. Need to fix that before—

“TOO SLOW!” Dorothy was already approaching for another attack.

Angelica realized she needed to slow down Dorothy’s attacks, otherwise she would be stuck reacting to them and unable to retake the advantage.

---

The two autoritters’ clash was so intense that neither of them paid any attention to their surroundings other than to find cover or pick up makeshift weapons. The Balmung hid behind a rock, dropped a mine, and then sped off. The Roland approached the rock and detonated the mine from a safe distance with its anti-personnel machine guns, then continued its pursuit of the Balmung. When Angelica turned around and began another charge, Dorothy grabbed a destroyed tank and threw it at the Balmung, forcing her to abandon the charge. While doing so, Dorothy began her own charge, activating her plasma blade at the last moment. Angelica grabbed a destroyed autoritter and used it as a shield, the plasma being wasted on cutting through the wrong autoritter’s armor. Frustrated, Dorothy deactivated the plasma and accelerated back before Angelica could strike her with the Balmung’s sword. Retreating to a safe distance, she shrugged her shoulders, jabbed her fists forward, and fired rockets at Angelica. The Balmung swerved and dodged several of the rockets—which exploded against the ground just seconds after the autoritter was no longer there—then threw the remains of the destroyed autoritter in the path of the remaining rockets, using her sword to cut down the few rockets that still made it through that shield. The Roland burst through the smoke created by the explosions, sword once again aimed straight at Angelica. The Balmung put up its sword in time to block the strike, and the two autoritters pulled back. It was over in seconds.

They continued their dance across the battlefield, passing by sandbags and trenches and hastily stopped columns of troops, APCs, and tanks. Even the autoritters stood at attention, their pilots transfixed by this duel. Both sides were frozen with awe, watching as the Roland and Balmung—Dorothy and Angelica—drew away from each other, then closed in at breakneck speeds for a charge, their swords clashing for the briefest of moments before they withdrew again. On one approach, the Roland grabbed the Balmung by one of its shoulder armor plates and held it in position while Dorothy readied Durendal’s plasma blade. In response, Angelica brought the Balmung’s knee up towards the Roland’s midsection. When both Durendal and the knee hit their marks, Angelica instinctively pulled back, while the Roland’s AI assist kicked in and forced the autoritter into reverse. Taking back direct control, Dorothy used her backwards momentum and went into a spinning kick, which Angelica ducked and countered with a sweep to the legs that Dorothy also avoided. The two autoritters once again drew back, that brief clash over in the blink of an eye as the two went back to observing the behavior of the other in preparation for the next one.

“Impressive,” Angelica said, “For a girl who hasn’t been doing this for long, you fight like a natural.”

“Come on!” Dorothy said. “Is that all you’ve got, Valkyrie of Alençon? If a greenhorn like me can match you, what does that say about you?”

“Oh, I’ll show you what I can really do!”

Dorothy grinned. “That’s what I want to hear!”

The two were evenly matched. Neither of them could find any gaps in the other’s defenses as they tore across the battlefield. Dorothy’s better specs and physical strength was matched by Angelica’s experience and quick thinking. The two autoritters showed no signs of slowing down. If the atmosphere was thick enough to not require vac suits, the sounds of steel clashing on steel would have been heard for miles around. One couldn’t be blamed if they forgot these were giant mechanical monstrosities. They moved so fast and reflected their pilots movements’ so well that they seemed nearly human. It almost looked like they were truly Dorothy and Angelica clad in shining armor and wielding giant swords, instead of their autoritters doing the fighting.

Truly, they were knights for the modern age, living up to the name “autoritter.”

---

The Sigurd arrived outside Beck. Julius’ computer spotted the Roland and Balmung still fighting in the distance. He calculated he could get there within another five minutes and break up the fight before something happened. Yes, there was still time. Surely that upstart UNAP pilot couldn’t fight both him and Lady Neumann at the same time. They would put her six feet under, drag the remains of her autoritter back to Olympus Base, and integrate every useful bit of its design into the Sigurd. It could still be done now.

Then the computer noticed what seemed like an explosion at the base of Beck’s main dome. It seemed like one of the closest airlock to his location had just blown out. And it was even a larger airlock designed for military vehicles. Julius could probably fit the Sigurd in there. Was it a sign? Divine providence, blessing his inevitable victory today? Beck could fall, right now. All he had to do was storm that airlock and push inside to Central Authority.

But Angelica is right there!

Same with the airlock!

I could end that stupid duel right now!

But I could end the entire war!

That upstart pilot could be destroyed!

But the Security Council could be destroyed!

Julius clutched his head. “Argh! Why must you make me decide?!”

He could just stop the battle in a minute. With the overwhelming firepower and mobility of the Sigurd as well as his own tactical brilliance, that UNAP woman wouldn’t stand a chance. Then they could take out Beck. But what if they repaired that airlock and reinforced it while he did? On the other hand, he could call up another autoritter squad, storm that airlock, then push to Central Authority within ten minutes. Force the Security Council to surrender, and then there would be no reason for that duel to continue. The specs of the Sigurd would ensure he came to no harm during that assault, whereas he was concerned about the Roland’s plasma blade. But if he could end the battle before she had the chance to break it out…

“My lord, sir!” an autoritter drove up to him and saluted. “I’m Knight Ehrenfried. We spotted a malfunctioning airlock and are moving to attack it before they restore security! This is a unique opportunity for your to bring this war to an end! Please, let us escort you!”

“Es…escort?” Julius said. “But—”

“Please, my lord!” Ehrenfried moved behind the Sigurd and “patted” it on the back. “We don’t have time to spare. Let’s attack, for the glory of the Reich!”

“Lady Neumann—”

“Lady Neumann can’t lose! You need not worry about our best knight. While she distracts UNAP’s remaining forces and their champion, we can sneak in and take their capital, my lord!”

“I…uh…well…” Julius stammered. Then he caved in, his divided mind unable to come up with something to counter Ehrenfried’s enthusiasm. “Very well, then. Let’s capture Beck and put an end to their dream of a dead Earth.”

He engaged wheeled mode and made for the airlock.

Beck

“Come on, pick up…” Clara looked at her phone, then back at the computer screens. The Roland’s maintenance team closely monitored the system data and camera feeds coming from the battlefield. Some sounded excited, talking about the unprecedented levels of data they were getting from both the Roland and Balmung, while others remained quiet, fully focused on the battle.

“Hello?” Papadopoulos said. The connection was unstable and full of static. Even without the static, Papdapoulos’ voice was barely audible over the doctors’ panicked shouting and patients’ cries of pain in the background. “Clara, that you?”

“Hey, Doctor,” Clara said, “Did you hear about Dorothy?”

“Yeah, I did,” Papadopoulos said, “Can you get in touch with her?”

“Not anymore,” Clara said, “Probably for the best. You…you knew about it, didn’t you? I knew about the Roland, sure, but…all those times she said she suddenly had to cancel or got lost…she told me earlier. That was her work, right?”

She blamed herself for not catching on sooner. Something as complex as the Roland needed hundreds of sols of field testing, and there was no way Dorothy got as good as she did in just one day.

On Fraternity

Papadopoulos nodded. “You got me. I was her handler.”

“Figures,” Clara said, “Someone like you had to have covered for her. I mean, seriously, taking the wrong train all the way to Kirovagrad? Makes little sense.”

“Oh, no, she actually did take the wrong train,” Papadopoulos said, “It was pure coincidence that the Austrians happened to attack the city right as she arrived.”

“I can’t really believe that, can I?”

“Believe it or not, that actually happened.”

“How much else are you keeping from me?”

“I…” Papadopoulos couldn’t respond.

A glare, unlike any he had seen before. From her, of all people.

“You stay where you are.”

“—, what’s going on?” He didn’t deserve to remember her name.

“Don’t call me —! I know what’s going on between you and —!” The other name…what was it all for in the end? He never did see her again.

“—, calm down, I can explain…”

“I have your emails! Don’t deny it! You were going to leave me! Leave me and — and go with her! You said you loved her! Did you not love me?!” Another name he didn’t deserve to know.

“—, I do love you. That’s why I married you.”

“What do you see in her? What does she have and I don’t?”

He couldn’t answer. Nothing he could answer with would be sufficient.

“Answer me!” She demanded an answer.

“—, I’m sorry.” Insufficient. Inappropriate. Meaningless.

“Do you still love her?”

He looked at the floor. He didn’t know what to say. His mind screamed at him to explain, but his heart was torn.

“Do you still love her?!”

He sighed and looked at her. In that fleeting moment of weakness, his torn heart uttered one word. One word he didn’t truly believe. One word that ended everything.

“Yes.”

He had to come clean. “I…I’m sorry. Dorothy asked me to.”

“Her?”

“Dorothy doesn't like talking about her past,” Papadopoulos said, “Same as I do. She wanted to be a new person on Mars. I’ve only known her as Dorothy. We mutually agreed it was best to leave our past lives behind. She wanted to escape the horrors she went through, and I had forfeited all rights to who I used to be. We built new lives on Fraternity. But she…she realized it was all as fragile as the life support of the ARC ship and the atmosphere of Earth. It could all come crashing down if the skeletons escaped Earth’s gravity well. The Empire was the very embodiment of those skeletons. She wanted to protect her new life and everyone in it. And so, she took up a gun and asked me to cover for her, as someone in a similar situation. She didn’t want to worry you or anyone else.”

“…iot,” Clara whispered.

“What was that?”

Beck

“Id…Idiot!” Clara said. “We’re friends! We’re supposed to stand by each other, no matter what. She should’ve known that telling me about her work wouldn’t worry me. I’d have figured something out! I’d have supported her, no matter what! Because I, I…”

She slumped into a chair, wiping away tears. A certain face appeared in her mind. “I too lost someone I cared about. I too rebuilt my life after the end of the world. I too want to make sure the people I know now don’t leave me. Dorothy’s not alone. If she thinks I can’t take it, she’s wrong. There isn’t anybody on this damn planet who hasn’t lost someone. She should know that better than anybody. What matters is we stick together, now that we have each other. What’s the point of a friend’s honor if she hides such a big part of her from me?”

Clara looked at the Roland’s video feeds. Many of them showed various external angles, giving the maintenance crew a front-row seat to the titanic clash between the Roland and Balmung. One, though, had a view of the cockpit. Dorothy’s face was dripping with sweat, and her eyes were both narrowed and full of rage—no, determination. “So this is the real Dorothy, huh? The woman who wants to protect her new life at all costs. If only you had told me sooner, I could have helped you…”

“There’s nothing we can do right now,” Papadopoulos said, “Anything we could do would only get in her way.”

“Then what?! Everybody’s busting their butts doing so much to save humanity! Even Dorothy’s out there fighting the goddamn Valkyrie of Alençon. You’re saving lives on Fraternity. But here I am, still in a lab in Beck, watching video feeds. Feels like I’m dead weight.”

“Then do nothing.”

Clara stared at her phone. “Do…nothing?”

“If you do nothing, you won’t put yourself in danger,” Papadopoulos said, “Isn’t that what Dorothy’s fighting for? To protect you? What would she think if you died anyways? How would she live with herself knowing she couldn’t protect you? The best thing you can do right now is do nothing. Do nothing and live for her. You made her a promise, right? A promise to get pizza in Piddletown?”

Clara’s face reddened when she realized her entire conversation with Dorothy had been broadcast over a public frequency. “Y-Yeah, I did.”

“You swore on a friend’s honor, so you better keep that promise on your end,” Papadopoulos said, “That’s what friends are for.”

On Fraternity

Papadopoulos heard Clara laughing on the other end. “You’re…right, Doctor. How did I not see it?”

“You’re friends, aren’t you?” Papadopoulos said. “So live for her, just as she lives for you. Protect each other, because that’s what friends do.”

Clara’s voice regained some of her pep. “That’s right! I have to live for her! That promise is for me as much as it is for her! Thanks, Doctor. You always know what to say.”

“I am a doctor.” It’s more that I know what to not say, from experience.

The ship shook again, provoking more screams from the patients. Not only that…Papadopoulos’ ears picked up the sounds of gunshots in the distance, gradually getting louder.

“Well, looks like I can’t talk much longer,” he said.

It seemed Clara heard the gunshots too. “Wait, Doctor, is that—”

“I’ve got patients to tend to,” Papadopoulos said, “Like Dorothy, I want to save lives, but in a different way. You’ve got your part to play, I’ve got mine.”

“Dr. Papadopoulos!”

“I’ll talk to you later, Clara.” Papadopoulos lowered the phone from his ear. “Hopefully, it’ll be when the three of us can gather again…over that pizza.”

He hung up.

“Hey, you want to get away next weekend? Family day trip.”

“Sure. Where?”

“I don't know. How about we hop on an airship and go down to — like we used to?” A place that had not existed in 21 years, wiped off the map by an Indian nuke.

“Another airship? You know how expensive those are? And —?”

“Yeah. We can go to that — on the —.” If it had survived the nuke, the lack of maintenance probably did it in by now, and the owner was probably long gone.

“—?” He had forgotten the name, but just picturing it in his head brought on a wave of nostalgia.

“Right. Remember how great their — was? — spent so much money on it every time.” Some old tunes played in his head, accompanied by an adorable smile. A smile that he would never seen again for the rest of his life.

“Over pizza, huh?” Papadopoulos muttered. “Looks like I’m not going to make it. You two kids have fun in Piddletown.”

---

The ship-to-ship battle between Gradivus and Fraternity makes use of the “knife-fight range” tactics that would become common to HTE ship combat in the future.

Ar Morlaer Rouanez was a Breton queen. The grammar might be off but I did the best I could.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Maybe you could have the Mexica Empire go through something like the Mexican Revolution where the whole country falls into chaos and civil war for decades as the old imperial regime declines and the Equalists and proto Paulluists fighting each other to see who gets to become the new government, with the Equalists emerging triumphant and reigning until the Paulluists overthrow them. I guess that intervention you talked about would have been like US intervention in Mexico during the revolution.
Maybe that would be the main North Eimerican front of World War I, aside from China, the Meskwaki Empire, and Kanata fighting in the Great Plains. The Mexica Empire’s civil war continues through the larger war and is only resolved a few years afterward when the Aztecatl movement seized power and is then overthrown by the equalists who declare PARA.
That being said, what are you're plans for the Purepecha for DE, as I don't think you did much with them while they were indepdent before they got conquered by Mexico again.
Don’t have any right now other than them being the last political entity in Mesoamerica to fall under Mexica rule, then afterward remaining a major annoyance to the government for centuries.
Maybe that could have been one of the motivating factors for the Nahua spring to occur, backlash against Roman influence and the increasingly heavy-handed treatment of Nahuas by Roman allies like Mayapan, Fusang, and Hasiinay.
Good point, it would be like a feedback loop of religious radicalization and violence between Christians and Nahua dating back to Meskwaki imperial pan-Eimericanism, where Christianity would be seen as foreign and bad. This would later feed into the Aztecatl/Paulluist and Eimerican equalist movements. The equalist era, due to the regime’s atheism, would see the old nationalism take on religious undertones in opposition to it. Such sentiments would only grow stronger in the wake of the Roman armed interventions of the 90s, giving rise to the Mexicanist/Colli movement that gave rise to religiously motivated terrorism culminating in November 9. This provokes a reaction among Christians who spur the Reich into a crusade in Mexico, which further radicalized Mexicanists and leads to the Nahua Spring, among other movements of the late 2000s and early 2010s, ultimately leading to MSC and further Roman crackdowns motivated by religion.

Reactions:
Around him, the rest of the boarding party readied their swords, daggers, axes, and naginata. The hulls of Fraternity were not built to withstand a firefight, so a regular bullet could easily puncture through multiple layers and potentially cause an atmospheric breach. Therefore, they carried melee weapons instead of guns. Fraternity’s crew still used guns, but the above structural flaws would force them to hesitate before shooting, to avoid breaching the outer hull. Explosives were also ruled out for the same reasons.
“Proceed…Crimson Viper,” Captain Higa said.
I know this is taken from the HTE’s later preference towards melee combat, but I take it this was inspired by melee combat in LOGH with the use of axes in close quarters combat. Perhaps this also is setting up Higa’s Crimson Viper unit to become something akin to Schönkopf's Rosen Ritters in the future. Now I’m wondering if something like Seffle particles would be introduced in the future.

Aside from either/both Dorthy and Angelica potentially dying in the fight, I feel like there's a good chance of Demetrios dying again after that heart to heart he shared with Clara, but at least he's making amends for that affair he had behind Angela's back.

I would have thought the Fraternity would have escaped Mars and fled to the future homeworld of Aeternus, but I guess not with Higa capturing it. Then again, it's possible for Higa to be beaten back or for the Fraternity or someother arc ship to book it after the civil wars and rebellions Julius' death created later on.
The Succession Crisis Never came, Julius' Second Eldest, Alexandria Anniona had sidestepped her Elder bastard brother and other siblings and seized the throne through use of the military. The Move triggered what would amount to a small civil way as the various cities subjugated under Julius' conquest revolted and were subsequently put down.

Last edited:
I know this is taken from the HTE’s later preference towards melee combat, but I take it this was inspired by melee combat in LOGH with the use of axes in close quarters combat. Perhaps this also is setting up Higa’s Crimson Viper unit to become something akin to Schonkopf’s Rosen Ritters in the future. Now I’m wondering if something like Seffle particles would be introduced in the future.
“Crimson Viper” is Tetsuya Hochenburg’s nickname, though I could see it being applied to his entire unit and then future ones. Not going to introduce Seffle particles or anything like that though.
Aside from either/both Dorthy and Angelica potentially dying in the fight, I feel like there's a good chance of Demetrios dying again after that heart to heart he shared with Clara, but at least he's making amends for that affair he had behind Angela's back.
Unfortunately, the people who could forgive him are long gone.
I would have thought the Fraternity would have escaped Mars and fled to the future homeworld of Aeternus, but I guess not with Higa capturing it. Then again, it's possible for Higa to be beaten back or for the Fraternity or someother arc ship to book it after the civil wars and rebellions Julius' death created later on.
Julius had made sure to give the UN no time to react to his invasion. All this is happening in a single Mars sol. Trying to pack up and run now would mean abandoning most of the UN citizens in the surface.

Be it between friends, families, alone or with enemies, pizza is always a good call.

Be it between friends, families, alone or with enemies, pizza is always a good call.
Nothing like eating some good old pizza to unwind after the decisive battle to protect the freedom of humanity.

Reactions:
Before reading the post that @CaptainAlvious made I thought you were using Dune as a reference for the sword fighting since I did not know that LOGH also used them.

The Balmung was now permanently in wheeled mode for the extra speed and agility, and the Roland followed suit.
Does this mean that the autoritter's can use something like the knightmare wheels and walk like a "traditional" mech?

The Roland approached the rock and detonated the mine from a safe distance with its anti-personnel machine guns,
That is something that I always wondered about mechs in that any anti-personnel weapons' that they have would essentially be automatic grenade launcher's or rpg's.

Truly, they were knights for the modern age, living up to the name “autoritter.”
This got me wondering why the mechs in TTL are called "autoritter" since according to Google Translate it is "author knight" in English?

“I can’t really believe that, can I?”

“Believe it or not, that actually happened.”

“How much else are you keeping from me?”

“I…” Papadopoulos couldn’t respond.

A glare, unlike any he had seen before. From her, of all people.

“You stay where you are.”

“—, what’s going on?” He didn’t deserve to remember her name.

“Don’t call me —! I know what’s going on between you and —!” The other name…what was it all for in the end? He never did see her again.

“—, calm down, I can explain…”

“I have your emails! Don’t deny it! You were going to leave me! Leave me and — and go with her! You said you loved her! Did you not love me?!” Another name he didn’t deserve to know.

“—, I do love you. That’s why I married you.”

“What do you see in her? What does she have and I don’t?”

He couldn’t answer. Nothing he could answer with would be sufficient.

“Answer me!” She demanded an answer.

“—, I’m sorry.” Insufficient. Inappropriate. Meaningless.

“Do you still love her?”

He looked at the floor. He didn’t know what to say. His mind screamed at him to explain, but his heart was torn.

“Do you still love her?!”

He sighed and looked at her. In that fleeting moment of weakness, his torn heart uttered one word. One word he didn’t truly believe. One word that ended everything.

“Yes.”

He had to come clean. “I…I’m sorry. Dorothy asked me to.”

“Her?”

“Dorothy doesn't like talking about her past,” Papadopoulos said, “Same as I do. She wanted to be a new person on Mars. I’ve only known her as Dorothy. We mutually agreed it was best to leave our past lives behind. She wanted to escape the horrors she went through, and I had forfeited all rights to who I used to be. We built new lives on Fraternity. But she…she realized it was all as fragile as the life support of the ARC ship and the atmosphere of Earth. It could all come crashing down if the skeletons escaped Earth’s gravity well. The Empire was the very embodiment of those skeletons. She wanted to protect her new life and everyone in it. And so, she took up a gun and asked me to cover for her, as someone in a similar situation. She didn’t want to worry you or anyone else.”
I am curious as to who Papadopoulos is now. Does this mean that he is married to Clara and if so who is the "other women"?

The ship-to-ship battle between Gradivus and Fraternity makes use of the “knife-fight range” tactics that would become common to HTE ship combat in the future.
Makes me think of Star Wars and how all of their battles were influenced by those in the "Age of Sail" as well.

Ar Morlaer Rouanez was a Breton queen. The grammar might be off but I did the best I could.
I looked up the name Ar Morlaer Rouanez but could not find out anything about her.

Since it was discussed that he is based off of Lelouch when he is Emperor of Britannia this makes me wonder if Annionaverse Julius was ever exiled like Lelouch and Nunnally were or if he stayed a part of the Imperial Family?

Also what was his relationship with his father and was it similar to the one Lelouch had with Charles?

Before reading the post that @CaptainAlvious made I thought you were using Dune as a reference for the sword fighting since I did not know that LOGH also used them.
Axes and power armor are used in LOGH. I do know the HTE makes use of personal shields later on in conjunction with the above mentioned weapons and full on lightsabers and I brought that up to Zen in a PM thread, so perhaps Zen could take inspiration from Dune or Halo style personal shields later on in Stellaris.
The more intimate nature of war within Colonial Cities, personal shield generator and general cultural regression in the Empire had caused a massive rise in the popularity of melee weapons such as swords, axes and spears. These weapons of course were dramatically outdated and to be useful against any sort of modern body armor were equipped with all manner of modifications to allow for increasing cutting power.
I am curious as to who Papadopoulos is now. Does this mean that he is married to Clara and if so who is the "other women"?
He’s strongly implied to be Demetrios, I think Papadopoulos was always his last name. In short, he was Angela’s love interest who had an affair behind her back. He died protecting Angela in the Hohenzollernvere in the 90s, but survived and married Angela in the Annionaverse until his affair was discovered after Annionaverse and Hohenzollernverse Angela swapped places. So yeah, he definitely isn’t married to Clara as he’s older than her by a couple decades.
Since it was discussed that he is based off of Lelouch when he is Emperor of Britannia this makes me wonder if Annionaverse Julius was ever exiled like Lelouch and Nunnally were or if he stayed a part of the Imperial Family?

Also what was his relationship with his father and was it similar to the one Lelouch had with Charles?
Julius was an infant when he escaped Mars with Angelica during the Rapture, so there isn’t much to he said here I think.

Last edited: