The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The save file shows attributes of 7-6-2-7-5, probably in the order of diplomacy-martial-stewardship-intrigue-learning, which doesn't match up with the only screenshot of his stats I have.

I suspect the attributes were enhanced (and in the case of learning, dropped) by his traits. There must have been something in between your screenshot and this one which dropped his diplomacy from 18 to 15. As for the covered stats, fortunately the tooltip is slightly transparent, so I can make out double digits in the intrigue stat. I'm thinking 14 diplomacy, but I can't be sure. However, using the base stats from the save file and the fact that I don't think he had any modifiers (though if there were any, they would have been removed on death, so I can't be sure about that either), we can try figuring out his actual stats from trait modifiers.

The traits from left to right are:

Elusive Shadow: +2 diplomacy/martial, -1 stewardship, +9 intrigue

Sayyid: no changes

Quick: +3 to all stats

Stong: +1 diplomacy, +2 martial

Humble: no changes

Ambitious: +2 to all stats

Honest: +3 diplomacy, -2 intrigue

Brave: +2 martial

Kind: +2 diplomacy, -2 intrigue

Infirm: -3 to all stats

Let's ignore Infirm and see what Ali's stats were at his peak. Adding up all these stat modifiers, we have +13 diplomacy, +11 martial, +4 stewardship, +10 intrigue, and +5 learning. Add that to 7-6-2-7-5 and we get 20-17-6-17-10. Even after applying Infirm, it doesn't match up with either screenshot, which means there were additional modifiers that were not recorded, or his base stats were adjusted through events between the two screenshots that I have no way of checking. In any case, let's just assume his intrigue is 17. Despite being an Elusive Shadow, his diplomacy is actually much higher because he's honest and kind, so he'd probably be a diplomat as well.

As they say, fake it until you make it. That does go a long way, in my experience.
Pretty cool, tho I think you mixed up attractive (+ 1 diplomacy) with quick, making Ali’s stats 18-14-3-14-7 without infirm, which lines up with our two screenshots. Regardless from a story perspective, I do feel like Ali would be a pretty interesting character just by looking at his traits and stats, being both loyal and competent. I can see why Wihelmina choose to marry him over any other marriage proposals from ambitious and powerful nobles that probably would’ve tried seizing the throne or turn her into a puppet.

Ali looks like one hell of a side character on top of being the Emperor consort, judging from Wilhelmina's quotes in the CK2 portion, those two must have courted each other maybe even had the stereotypical childhood friends turned to couple gig going on (aside from the gamey side of Zen making the Hohenzollerns have the Sayyid trait), I reckon he was probably the Mystikos during that time? Or at least worked alongside whoever was Wilhelmina's spy master? Would have been a perfect time for the Office of the Barbarians to make a comeback at that period as I have read they were the Empire's spy network. I reckon Ali must have had his own fair share of intrigue and skull duggery going on behind the scenes. Hell if Wilhelmina had started persecuting the Muslims her own husband must have intervened especially if he had the Reich's spy network at his finger tips.

Reactions:
Ali looks like one hell of a side character on top of being the Emperor consort, judging from Wilhelmina's quotes in the CK2 portion, those two must have courted each other maybe even had the stereotypical childhood friends turned to couple gig going on (aside from the gamey side of Zen making the Hohenzollerns have the Sayyid trait), I reckon he was probably the Mystikos during that time? Or at least worked alongside whoever was Wilhelmina's spy master? Would have been a perfect time for the Office of the Barbarians to make a comeback at that period as I have read they were the Empire's spy network. I reckon Ali must have had his own fair share of intrigue and skull duggery going on behind the scenes. Hell if Wilhelmina had started persecuting the Muslims her own husband must have intervened especially if he had the Reich's spy network at his finger tips.
I know Ali was probaly Christian when he married Wihelmina, but I looked up his family after finding that screenshot and found that the Rassids were the shia rulers of Yemen for over a thousand years, so I think it would be interesting if we retcon Ali to still remain Shia and convince Wihelmina to spare Muslim communities in places like Tabriz and Socotra, much like how Gunhilda convinced Wihelmina to spare the Occitans from her purges.

Pretty cool, tho I think you mixed up attractive (+ 1 diplomacy) with quick, making Ali’s stats 18-14-3-14-7 without infirm, which lines up with our two screenshots. Regardless from a story perspective, I do feel like Ali would be a pretty interesting character just by looking at his traits and stats, being both loyal and competent. I can see why Wihelmina choose to marry him over any other marriage proposals from ambitious and powerful nobles that probably would’ve tried seizing the throne or turn her into a puppet.
Ah, that would explain everything. I swear, the one CK2 trait I try to recognize from memory is the one I mess up.

There's a lot I could do with Ali. Not exactly bringing anything to the table aside from a talent for diplomacy and his looks (which helps with diplomacy), Ali still finds a way to stand out by being the person closest to Wilhelmina. There'd also be shades of Ida in how he shuts down threats to Wilhelmina.
The quotes will probably be removed and decanonized in DE, since most of them amount to memes and jokes I spent barely any time on.

I don't know what job Ali would have had on the council, but he definitely would have had something.

Makes sense that the Office of the Barbarians, which later would take center stage during the 13th Century Crisis, would have seen an initial resurgence during Wilhelmina's time as she uses it to carry out her purges. I guess it would become a precursor of various Roman organizations like the Inquisition (merged with equivalent organizations in the formerly Catholic west), the Athanatoi (the original military unit being repurposed), and the Angeloi Black Tagmata and Roman equalist secret police much later on.
I know Ali was probaly Christian when he married Wihelmina, but I looked up his family after finding that screenshot and found that the Rassids were the shia rulers of Yemen for over a thousand years, so I think it would be interesting if we retcon Ali to still remain Shia and convince Wihelmina to spare Muslim communities in places like Tabriz and Socotra, much like how Gunhilda convinced Wihelmina to spare the Occitans from her purges.
Good idea. Even if Ali was still Christian, I imagine he still feels sympathetic towards the Ummah and would intercede to protect them from the worst of Wilhelmina's madness.

Reactions:
I don't know what job Ali would have had on the council, but he definitely would have had something.
One historic character you could use as influence for Ali could be Abdul Karim (the Munshi) who was an Indian that was very close to Queen Victoria. One thing that you could play off of could be the racism that Abdul faced during his service in which I feel Ali could experience the same thing in TTL since I believe that the Augustinian Code dose not protect Muslims?

One historic character you could use as influence for Ali could be Abdul Karim (the Munshi) who was an Indian that was very close to Queen Victoria. One thing that you could play off of could be the racism that Abdul faced during his service in which I feel Ali could experience the same thing in TTL since I believe that the Augustinian Code dose not protect Muslims?

Sure, I'll take a look at him.

I think the Augustinian Code only didn't protect the Mexica and Mongols at first.

Huh, I wonder if this guy I found would've been a relative to the Yinal we knew during the Persian Revolution, like a father perhaps? All I know is that this guy seems to have been even more of a thorn in the Reich's side than even Saltuk when it comes to Persian commanders, cause he kicked the Reich's ass in several battles in the update I found him in.
1695786672294.png

Also I noticed Norway ended up in Iceland in the 2018 Annoniaverse map. Not sure if I should find that funny or cursed, maybe both.:p

Huh, I wonder if this guy I found would've been a relative to the Yinal we knew during the Persian Revolution, like a father perhaps? All I know is that this guy seems to have been even more of a thorn in the Reich's side than even Saltuk when it comes to Persian commanders, cause he kicked the Reich's ass in several battles in the update I found him in.
View attachment 1026076
Also I noticed Norway ended up in Iceland in the 2018 Annoniaverse map. Not sure if I should find that funny or cursed, maybe both.:p
He probably was related in some way. It would explain how Iskandar got as much military authority as he did prior to the revolution.

But is it as cursed as the “Kingdom of Norway” ending up in Andalusia in the Hohenzollernverse near the end of CK2?

But is it as cursed as the “Kingdom of Norway” ending up in Andalusia in the Hohenzollernverse near the end of CK2?
True, tho you can at least retcon Andalusia into being a sepreate realm from Scandavia ruled by a Yingling jarl, can't really do anything with Iceland on the other hand since it's Dragoon's universe.
It seems the Cherokee had somehow formalized separation of powers despite being in a personal union under the Meskwaki emperor.

2016-02-23_00100.jpg
I don't know how it's possible, but sure, it would allow me to explore OTL Cherokee political systems.
Looking through EU4, I was suprised to learn that the Haudenosaunee were the last north Eimerican state to be annexed into the Meskwaki Empire, althrough it did have a monarchy imposed on it by the Kanatans and Meskwaki, hence a later succesion war between Meskwaki and Kanata over PUing the Haudenosaunee. So the Cherokee might have been inspired by Haudenosaunee political institutions.

This now makes me wonder how much autonomy native entiques like the Cree and Haudenosaunee have in Kanata, espcially since I think the Cree were only annexed through console commands.

Also I feel like this would be oddly relevant with the Reich's liberalization after the Maximist wars, since Sigismund's upbringing might inclining him towards hearing out liberal arguments from Maximist defectors and the like.
The Liberals, meanwhile, would not shut up. A Gallic woman named Olympe de Gouges challenged the Reich's policy of gender inequality in publishing a work called "The Declaration of Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen." She demanded the right to divorce, which was present in Muslim and other non-Christian communities. She was a member of organizations dedicated for equal political and legal rights for women. In the aftermath of the Pragmatic Sanction, her works became popular as citizens criticized the Greek dynatoi's claim that matrilineal marriages led to dilution of the bloodline. One work, "Gesellschaftsvertrag," or "Social Contract," proposed marriage equality, which Metternich felt wasn't that radical. Her anti-slavery views were popular among the citizenry, despite slavery having been banned since 1700. She advocated for the end of slavery in countries around the world and wrote several plays on the matter, such as "Zamore and Mirza" on Persian slavery and "Der Schwarzmarkt" ("The Black Market") on Indian slavery. She also published articles such as "Reflexionen über Negro Männer" ("Reflections on the negroes") to plead the cause of slaves in Neu Rhomania, where slavery persisted to some degree, and in Mali. Lately a statement from her was spreading throughout the Reich, claiming that "a woman has the right to mount the scaffold" and must "possess equally" the right to speak publicly.
As she was quite popular, Metternich knew that arresting her would provoke rebellion. So he decided to hire her to prevent the more radical Liberals from using her. She joined the court in Potsdam, replacing an Abbasid as advisor to Siegfried, where she was to tutor Sigismund and his siblings while still being allowed to spread her views. The government officially endorsed her views on women's rights, something which angered the Greek dynatoi, who had thought that the Pragmatic Sanction had ended all of these movements. In her spare time, de Gouges--or von Gouges--served as a foreign diplomat to India and Persia, frequently suggesting to the Persian and Indian governments to ban slavery.
2016-02-23_00154.jpg

Last edited:
Looking through EU4, I was suprised to learn that the Haudenosaunee were the last north Eimerican state to be annexed into the Meskwaki Empire, althrough it did have a monarchy imposed on it by the Kanatans and Meskwaki, hence a later succesion war between Meskwaki and Kanata over PUing the Haudenosaunee. So the Cherokee might have been inspired by Haudenosaunee political institutions.
I'm probably going to retcon things so that it's not just European-style succession wars and personal unions that led to Meskwaki hegemony. I modded the game to allow non-Christians to do that so it would be more interesting, but I never thought much about justifying why that would be the case. And a lot of the reforms into monarchies by the likes of the Cherokee and Haudenosaunee were the result of console commands or other nudges in that direction by me. If anything, the Haudenosaunee succession war would have been akin to different clans and peoples within the confederacy aligning with either the Meskwaki and Kanatans, provoking a power struggle that draws in both of the larger powers, and the result is that the Meskwaki and their allied clans prevail, leading to the Haudenosaunee "personal union" and then annexation.
This now makes me wonder how much autonomy native entiques like the Cree and Haudenosaunee have in Kanata, espcially since I think the Cree were only annexed through console commands.
A lot more than under OTL Canada. There was enough political autonomy that they briefly returned during the equalist revolution, albeit as rival equalist regimes. I imagine one of the reasons for Kanata annexing the northern core of the UTR (the Seven Republics portion) was because of its Haudenosaunee population clamoring for reunification with their brethren in the former Eimerican Commune. The Meskwaki and Kanatans had frequently fought over the region, with the border shifting a lot in EU4 before stabilizing in Vicky with largely OTL US-Canada borders, which would have divided the Haudenosaunee between two nations. This persisted until the 1990s when Kanata annexed the Seven Republics. Though taking all of the Seven Republics would have brought more indigenous peoples along with the Haudenosaunee, which would shift the balance of power away from the Norse settlers in the former colonial center and back to the natives.
Also I feel like this would be oddly relevant with the Reich's liberalization after the Maximist wars, since Sigismund's upbringing might inclining him towards hearing out liberal arguments from Maximist defectors and the like.
I did make a note to elaborate on that in DE, or at least significantly rewrite it so I'm not just rehashing the Wikipedia page with the names Germanized.

Reactions:
I'm probably going to retcon things so that it's not just European-style succession wars and personal unions that led to Meskwaki hegemony. I modded the game to allow non-Christians to do that so it would be more interesting, but I never thought much about justifying why that would be the case. And a lot of the reforms into monarchies by the likes of the Cherokee and Haudenosaunee were the result of console commands or other nudges in that direction by me. If anything, the Haudenosaunee succession war would have been akin to different clans and peoples within the confederacy aligning with either the Meskwaki and Kanatans, provoking a power struggle that draws in both of the larger powers, and the result is that the Meskwaki and their allied clans prevail, leading to the Haudenosaunee "personal union" and then annexation.
I was wondering why the Haudenosaunee would go from a somewhat early form of Federalism in OTL to becoming a monarchy in TLL so according to this there was a kind of cold war in were Kanata and Meskwaki tried to to influence the Haudenosaunee and in the end the side that was supported by Meskwaki won?

If that is true then wouldn't New York be under Meskwaki control since in OTL the Haudenosaunee were in Upstate New York?

That also beg's the question as to why the Cherokee became democratic in TTL since I think in OTL they were a monarchy?

A lot more than under OTL Canada. There was enough political autonomy that they briefly returned during the equalist revolution, albeit as rival equalist regimes. I imagine one of the reasons for Kanata annexing the northern core of the UTR (the Seven Republics portion) was because of its Haudenosaunee population clamoring for reunification with their brethren in the former Eimerican Commune. The Meskwaki and Kanatans had frequently fought over the region, with the border shifting a lot in EU4 before stabilizing in Vicky with largely OTL US-Canada borders, which would have divided the Haudenosaunee between two nations. This persisted until the 1990s when Kanata annexed the Seven Republics. Though taking all of the Seven Republics would have brought more indigenous peoples along with the Haudenosaunee, which would shift the balance of power away from the Norse settlers in the former colonial center and back to the natives.
I don't think that Kanata and Meskwaki had OTL US-Canada boarders. According to the Vicky 2 part of the story it was at the boarder of OTL US states of New York and Pennsylvania.

I do wonder how you are going to incorporate the Native American history into the DF, for example in looking up the Meskwaki it seems that they originally lived along the St. Lawrence River before moving to Michigan then Wisconsin?

Lastly I know that the DF will mostly ignore the limitations of the Paradox games and use custom political/battle maps but I was wondering if you are going to use historical paintings/photos like the ones you see for WWII and such as well? For the segments like the 2030's to the end of Stellaris are you going to use concept art from places like Artstation since there are no historical photos you can draw on after the 2020's? Like this:

Battle_of_Waterloo_1815.png

German_troops_crossing_the_Soviet_border.jpg

marat-zakirov-cybersalon2.jpg

Last edited:

I did make a note to elaborate on that in DE, or at least significantly rewrite it so I'm not just rehashing the Wikipedia page with the names Germanized.
This does help explain the complicated web of alliances that was the wars of Eimerican independence, as it makes sense that a lot of Eimeican states wouldn’t adopt European style centralized governments, barring some influence from Fusang and Kanata.

Heck, not even OTL Triple Alliance was that centralized (and some mesoamerican states, like Tlaxcalla, were republics), tho it’s possible that the Mexica Empire might be more centralized than the OTL Triple Alliance, at least until Sunrise Invasion happens, and after that I could see the PARA and modern Mexico being more decentralized than the Mexica Empire or Zoltan’s regime, considering the Purepecha briefly regained their independence.

I was wondering why the Haudenosaunee would go from a somewhat early form of Federalism in OTL to becoming a monarchy in TLL so according to this there was a kind of cold war in were Kanata and Meskwaki tried to to influence the Haudenosaunee and in the end the side that was supported by Meskwaki won?
There were still some hereditary institutions within the proto-federalism of the larger confederacy. The individual clans themselves were ruled by hereditary sachems (chieftains), though the selections of a sachem had an elective element. It wouldn’t be impossible for something similar to foreign influence in the Sejm of the OTL Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth to happen in a Haudenosaunee Confederacy that further evolved and grew more cohesive in the face of the Mexica invaders. And ironically the Haudenosaunee would suffer to a similar fate as the Commonwealth when they are partitioned between their two larger neighbors and political backers. Though at first it would actually be three larger neighbors.
If that is true then wouldn't New York be under Meskwaki control since in OTL the Haudenosaunee were in Upstate New York?
The New York region flip-flopped between Meskwaki and Kanatan control many times after the Haudenosaunee were absorbed into the two of them. Then again, the Cherokee weren’t supposed to get as far north as they did. The Sunset Invasion scenario kept them firmly in the Southeast region, but they somehow blobbed north and took a lot of Haudenosaunee territory, which is why the modern day world map still gives them land in what would be Pennsylvania.

Upon further checking in EU4, the “personal union” and “succession war” happened in 1814, and I wrote that the Haudenosaunee had been freed from the Cherokee as a monarchy. I’m continuing this line of analysis two quotes down.
That also beg's the question as to why the Cherokee became democratic in TTL since I think in OTL they were a monarchy?
In the game they were a theocracy until the very end of EU4. I’m going to retcon them into having a Haudenosainee consensus-style democracy from at least the 15th century, having adopted it after the Haudenosaunee successfully drove back the Mexica during the Sunset Invasion.
I don't think that Kanata and Meskwaki had OTL US-Canada boarders. According to the Vicky 2 part of the story it was at the boarder of OTL US states of New York and Pennsylvania.
I’m checking through EU4 right now. In 1600 the border was close to OTL lines because the freaking Cherokee got all the way to Maine somehow, while the Meskwaki gradually take over the territories on the northern shores of the Great Lakes. Over the next few decades, the Haudenosaunee were reduced to a rump state between the Cherokee, Kanatans, and Meskwaki, although there was another buffer state between the Haudenosaunee and the Meskwaki which is also slowly absorbed. By 1644, they had been reduced to two or three provinces. The borders between New Vinland/Kanata, the Meskwaki kingdom/empire, and the Cherokee republic stabilize at this point for several decades. By the 1720s, the Haudenosaunee remnant was annexed by the Cherokee. I also didn’t mention when the Haudenosaunee were revived, but it was done by 1765, giving them control over much of the New England region. At this point, the Meskwaki were in the western part of New York State. This is the Haudenosaunee “monarchy” that is at the center of the 1814 succession war. But it’s weird that in 1765 I refer to it as a republic even though in 1814 it’s a monarchy. I did say it was a republic that became a monarchy in that chapter, but I specifically said it became a monarchy after being freed from the Cherokee, presumably during whatever war happened before 1765. I’m going to retcon most of that and my description of why the succession war broke out. In DE, I’ll say it was a conflict between pro-Meskwaki and pro-Kanatan clans that escalated into civil war and dragged in the two powers. The Reich intervened on behalf of Kanata, but it wasn’t enough to stop the Meskwaki, so Metternich negotiated the transfer of Cherokee/Meskwaki colonies in South Eimerica to Neurhomania in exchange for ceding suzerainty of the Haudenosaunee to the Meskwaki.

In 1836 at game start, the border east of the Great Lakes was almost entirely OTL barring where Maine is. All of Maine is occupied by the Meskwaki by 1839, along with much of western Kanata. In 1843, Kanata takes back its western provinces and pushes its border west of the lakes down to where it is in OTL, while the border east of the lakes is pushed to the New York/Massachusetts border. In 1851, the Meskwaki Empire restored OTL borders in the east. By 1855, during the corporate republic era, the Meskwaki had taken the Maritimes and all of western Kanata. The 1843 borders are restored in 1879. Kanata takes New York and Massachusetts a few years later. These borders stay around until Kanata goes equalist in 1926. The Seven/Thirteen Republics keeps the original southern border for its entire existence.

After the Cold War, I imagine Kanata officially took over the Seven Republics region out of a push to restore its pre-1926 borders. These borders represented Kanata at its peak as well as the victories of King Gandalfr, who revitalized Kanata after the corporate republic reduced it to its lowest point, when Kanata was limited to its Norse core for decades. There was also significant Norse settlement of the region over the 19th century due to the frequent border changes. And much like OTL Taiwan, the Kanatan government probably never dropped its claim to the pre-1926 borders.
I do wonder how you are going to incorporate the Native American history into the DF, for example in looking up the Meskwaki it seems that they originally lived along the St. Lawrence River before moving to Michigan then Wisconsin?
I already tried taking into account their presence in Michigan when they started becoming a major power. I mentioned their two main cities were Michigan City (in northern Michigan) and Chicago. On my world map I’ve retconned their names to Michilimackinac and Shikaakwa. As for why they aren’t in the St. Lawrence River region, I can probably make up an excuse involving changes in climate and being hired as mercenaries by the Haudenosaunee for why they migrated into Michigan.
Lastly I know that the DF will mostly ignore the limitations of the Paradox games and use custom political/battle maps but I was wondering if you are going to use historical paintings/photos like the ones you see for WWII and such as well? For the segments like the 2030's to the end of Stellaris are you going to use concept art from places like Artstation since there are no historical photos you can draw on after the 2020's? Like this:
For past events, I might still try to use historical paintings and photos, but I’ll try to find ones that are obscure or don’t have easily identifiable text or symbols, much like what I’ve done so far. Maybe I’ll even try photoshopping them, like Dragoon and other AAR writers did. But I’m not confident enough in my editing skills to attempt that. For future events, I think I’ll take a page out of Dragoon’s book and start using anime/JRPG images. Animated stuff will probably age better than trying to find good live action stuff. I’m hesitant on using concept art from other artists at the moment. I don’t feel good about doing that in the past without crediting them. A part of me wants to draw a few things from scratch—uniform designs, military equipment and vehicles, some character designs (Alyssa from my FE rewrites comes to mind)—but I’m even less confident in my drawing skills and don’t have anything like drawing tablets to help me. I can do fine drawing maps using my mouse and touchpad, but photoshopping and drawing stuff from scratch might be beyond me for now.
This does help explain the complicated web of alliances that was the wars of Eimerican independence, as it makes sense that a lot of Eimeican states wouldn’t adopt European style centralized governments, barring some influence from Fusang and Kanata.
I’ve already written off most of the games as being abstractions of real things, because it is impossible to replicate real historical events and processes within the limitations of a game. For example, the peace to the 1814 war I brought up above was two separate peace outs at two different times by me and the Kanata AI, but in this specific context it would make sense if they’d be part of the same treaty, because I can’t see the Reich abandoning its ally and the war over some land for Neurhomania. Yet the game usually can’t represent a peace in which both sides make concessions to the other, at least in my recollection. It’s even more rigid in Victoria 2.
Heck, not even OTL Triple Alliance was that centralized (and some mesoamerican states, like Tlaxcalla, were republics), tho it’s possible that the Mexica Empire might be more centralized than the OTL Triple Alliance, at least until Sunrise Invasion happens, and after that I could see the PARA and modern Mexico being more decentralized than the Mexica Empire or Zoltan’s regime, considering the Purepecha briefly regained their independence.
100% it’s more centralized than the Triple Alliance. That’s why I dropped the name Triple Alliance going forward. PARA was probably incredibly decentralized, seeing as the full name is “People’s Alliance of Red Altepetls.”

Also while looking through my old chapters, I found that Ternate, Tidore, and a few other islands in that part of Indonesia were under Roman control as of the 19th century, so they wouldn’t have fallen into either the Chinese or Indian spheres. And that’s not taking into account the former Persian or Abyssinian colonies.

Reactions:
Since we are talking about the Meskwaki Empire and I am working on the North Eimerican update for Tianxia. I wanted to know if the city names for North Eimerica that you did in one of the latest updates would work for 1936?

I also wanted to know what would the names of some things be like the Native name for Gunnolfsfell TTL's New York City would be (since I think that is it's German name) and what TTL's name for the St. Lawrence River would be?

Lastly. I know that it is probably on a previous page but I was wondering what the different names of the world wars are? Those being:
World War I
World War II
World War III
and the current
World War IV

Since we are talking about the Meskwaki Empire and I am working on the North Eimerican update for Tianxia. I wanted to know if the city names for North Eimerica that you did in one of the latest updates would work for 1936?
The vast majority of those should still be valid in 1936.
I also wanted to know what would the names of some things be like the Native name for Gunnolfsfell TTL's New York City would be (since I think that is it's German name) and what TTL's name for the St. Lawrence River would be?
For the record, Gunnolfsfell is a Norse name, or at least Norse-sounding. The native name was Manhattan, though I'm retconning that to Manaháhtaan. I don't think I ever said it in a chapter, but in either or both of the EU4 and Vicky mods I renamed the St. Lawrence River to the Jormungandr River.
Lastly. I know that it is probably on a previous page but I was wondering what the different names of the world wars are? Those being:
World War I
World War II
World War III
and the current
World War IV
World War I is also known as the Great War, which I've been using recently because Weltkrieg feels like I'm ripping off Kaiserreich, and I admit that was my original intent with using it in Vicky. For that reason, I'm not using Weltkrieg even though I know it's the literal translation of "World War." I also still use World War I and the First World War.

World War II might be known as the Second Great War. The Roman theater would also be known the Angeloi Rebellion. But I'll still refer to it as the Second World War/World War II. The Russians have previously been depicted as calling it the Great Patriotic War but I might change it to something original.

World War III is just that, with the same deal for the Russians’ Second Great Patriotic War. Same with IV so far.

A Sol of Ends and Beginnings, Part 1

United Nations Mars Colonial Administration, on the other side - Sol 662, 2039, MTC 6:20

Morning in Beck on Sol 662, 2039 began like any other. Clara’s alarm stirred her out of her dreamless sleep. Her hand lazily slapped the clock to turn off the alarm. The time displayed was completely out of sync with the 24 hours and 39 minutes in a Martian day. It was one of the few possessions she had brought with her from Oslo, and she refused to let go of it or even synchronize it. Dorothy would say she was clinging to the past too much, even by their standards. Maybe she was. Can’t a girl hope?

Clara went through her daily routine. Changing into her clothes, she went to her kitchen and made herself breakfast. It was the same as it had been every day since she disembarked from Fraternity, a bowl of oatmeal. On Mars, they had few options for their food. They brought few livestock on Fraternity with them, due to difficulties figuring out how to launch non-human animals into orbit without injuring or killing them, then keep them healthy for a monthslong journey in microgravity, then bring them down to the surface to live on a planet where the very soil was toxic. They ultimately did find a way, but most of the space on Fraternity was dedicated for human passengers. Early meals consisted of vegetarian meals grown from the hydroponics farms, including oatmeal. Nowadays, lunches and dinners had begun taking on some semblance of meals like those at home, as livestock farms found their stride, but most people stuck to plant-based diets. Meat was still a luxury.

With breakfast done, she put her dishes and pots in the dishwasher and closed the door. A chime sounded, and the machine began cleaning. Dishwashers were mandatory in every residence due to being more efficient than hand washing. Water was strictly rationed. For the last twenty-one years, Beck’s water had been delivered from the poles via the polar facilities Aquilo and Notus. There used to be two other ones, Boreas and Auster, but those had been taken over by the Austrians and Indians, respectively, and closed to UNAP and Demofed use. As a result, Central Authority now explored other potential locations to draw water from. In the last few sols, it had approved a record number of mining permits for Saturn. Most of the UN civilian fleet was currently tasked with delivering ammonia-rich asteroids to break up in the atmosphere, but quite a few mining ships had already returned from Saturn, their cargo holds loaded with ice from that gas giant’s rings. All very dangerous jobs, as many asteroid and ice haulers had gone missing just in the last few dozen sols, but the ones that made it could possibly help increase the daily water quotas.

That done, Clara put on her shoes, picked up her bag with yesterday’s work, and stepped out. The place was akin to a large apartment building, much like those in Oslo before. In a way, it was, only they didn’t have to pay rent; the economy still ran on bartering, vouchers, and rations. Housing was guaranteed to all citizens under the United Nations Charter for Mars Colonization. It was hardest to meet the guarantee in older habitats like New Novgorod and Aesirlingby, which were built in and around landed ARC ships, but Beck was planned from the very beginning to be a planetary capital, with all of the institutions and infrastructure that came with it. Throughout the 2010s, Beck was constantly under construction as new neighborhoods were dug under the surface. After the death of Earth, construction efforts ramped up to accommodate the incoming refugees, like herself. Now Beck had the Martian equivalent of urban sprawl. The various neighborhoods and satellite districts spread out from underneath the original habitat dome like the roots of a great tree, each connected to the central administrative district by an intricate network of tunnels. Without cars, or even roadways for cars, public transportation became a vital necessity. Neighborhoods were designed so that each residence had a subway station within walking distance. Clara only needed five minutes to reach hers. She couldn’t help but smile as she passed under a sign reading “Nyby Station.” Many of Beck’s Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, and Saxons called Nyby home.

The intercom played a short but distinct jingle. “Now arriving: Nyby. Nyby. Please keep away from the doors.” A minute later, a light rumble reverberated through the station, and a cylindrical train rolled up to the platform. An airtight seal extended from its doors and connected with the ones on the platform, letting out a hiss as the pressures equalized. Then the doors slid open. “Please do not stop in the airlock.” Clara moved through the same routine as she did in Oslo, stepping aside so passengers inside could disembark, then boarding and getting a seat. “Doors closing, please stand clear.” With another jingle, the doors locked shut, and the airlock retracted. Clara felt a jolt as the train accelerated into the tunnel. The planners had designed the tunnel to be as straight as possible, with few turns or changes in elevation, so once they reached cruising speed it felt like they were barely moving at all. If there were windows, she would have seen nothing but darkness. But windows were a liability, and they would have been unnecessary for the train’s original function as a tunnel drill.

Over the next few minutes, the train stopped at various stations along the way. “Now arriving: Saxonia. Saxonia.” “Now arriving: Pendragon. Pendragon.” “Now arriving: Heimdall. Heimdall.” “Now arriving: Little Russia. Little Russia.” Clara occupied herself by watching the headlines scrolling across the wall screens.

“Holy Roman Empire vents atmosphere of rebellious Ramanujan Station”

“Central Authority confirms loss of three mining vessels after 20 sols of no contact”

“Water quotas in Roosevelt, Neuve-Wallonie, Nyby, and Alhambra to be maintained at current levels”

“Democratic Federation President Ochimeca walks out of UN reaccession talks”

“Dust storm warnings issued for Zhukov, Aesirlingby, and Khrushchev”

Several minutes later, the train decelerated and came to a gentle stop. The airlock connected to the station doors and established equilibrium. “Now arriving: Central. Central.” The doors slid open, and Clara walked out.

Nyby Station’s small entrance and small size overall made it feel like a club in one of the back alleys of Oslo she used to go to with…her. But Central Station was massive, with hundreds of people constantly milling around. It reminded her of the central station in downtown Oslo. It could even have passed for it, if only it had windows and Imperial Century-era architecture. But there was a certain elegance in what Central Station was. Columns were seamlessly carved out of the stone, rising out of the floor and merging into the ceiling without any additional material being added. A similar thing had been done with the benches, tables, and kiosks. The ceiling was carved with niches and hanging bits reminiscent of a cathedral ceiling, each protrusion and recess amplifying the ambient chatter below. Flags from all member states and allies of the United Nations, both surviving and fallen, hung from the walls. Clara recognized the Templar cross of the Transient Republic of Avalon; the double-headed eagle of the Russian Empire; the red star of the United Indian Commune; the Andalusian geometric motifs of the Republic of Mexico; the Walloon rooster and Flemish lion of the United Américain States; the green and yellow of the Republic of Brazil; and, finally, the leaf-covered cross of her home, the Scandinavian Confederation.

There were also ads playing on the wall screens here. Despite the lack of currency being used in Beck at the moment, companies still found a way to sell things.

“Join the UN Defense Force! Strike back against the feudal menace in Olympus!”

“Try authentic Visigothic cuisine at Garsiya’s Cafe! Made with real farm-grown meat!”

“Get your new MTC Standard clock at Central Authority today!”

“Enlist in the UN Mining Corps! Receive your own ship, training included!

Fraternity Research Division is accepting new applications!”

Clara ignored them as usual and continued down the hallway. Central Authority was designed with bureaucratic efficiency in mind. It was arranged as a cylinder, with the various departments, agencies, and other institutions spread around its circumference and across its floors. A large pillar of stone ran down its center. There was where the most important UN institutions were located: the General Assembly, the Security Council, the International Court of Justice, the Ministry of Defense, and where she worked, the Presidency. The General Assembly was still where delegates from every member state gathered to discuss policy, but with the Holy Roman Empire’s recent conquests many seats were left empty or irrelevant. The Security Council was in a similar situation.

Before the war, the eight seats of the Security Council had been filled by the Holy Roman Empire, Scandinavia, Russia, Great Scotland, India, Malaysia, Australia, and the Continental Union, whose seat was jointly held by Avalon, the UAS, Mexico, and Canada. The Holy Roman Empire had withdrawn from the UN and now waged war on it. India and the Continental Union could not agree with Beck over how much power was granted to the UN and how much was reserved for the nations. As a result, the Indian Commune Party and the Continental Congress voted to secede from direct United Nations administration, taking their settlements with them to form the Socialist Republic of Mangala and the Democratic Federation of Mars (“Demofed” for short). Meanwhile, Great Scotland, Malaysia, and Australia had long since stopped functioning as sovereign states and were absorbed into UNAP, Mangala, and Demofed. Other nations which had established colonies independent of UNAP, such as the People’s Republic of Mali, had been conquered by the Holy Roman Empire.

Clara walked through the doors and entered the Presidency, greeting the receptionist at the desk as she usually did. “Morning, Jane.”

“Morning, Clara. I see you’re here early today.”

“Yeah, we’ve got a long day ahead of us.” Clara rolled her eyes. “Got to report to Secgen.”

“You know he’s flexible, though. He won’t mind if you show up an hour later or so. Get some rest.”

“He won’t mind, but I’m sure the Austrians would.” Clara nudged her head at a nearby TV, which showed footage of destroyed Indian military vehicles and the cracked dome of Ramanujan Station. They barely gave them time to say their goodbyes before destroying every single emergency airlock…

“It’s only one day, what could they possibly do?” Jane said.

“Don’t say that!” Clara hissed. “You know the worst’s going to happen if you say that.”

“Anyways, I’ll just wave you through.” Jane typed on her computer and unlocked a gate. “Good luck in there with Secgen.”

“Thanks, Jane.” Clara passed through the gate into the restricted area of the Presidency. Here, everything took on a different air. The lighting changed from an ambient red-orange to a sharper light blue. The red Martian stone of the walls gave way to steel and concrete. The people she walked past were all dressed sharply, many of them wearing military uniforms. There was no room for idle gossip in these halls. Everybody walked with purpose, wasting not a single step. Clara made her way into the deepest part of the complex, where two soldiers stood guard in front of a reinforced metal door.

“Identify yourself,” one of the soldiers said.

“Come on, Walt, you know who I am,” Clara said, “Can’t you cut me some slack?”

“I’m sorry, Clara, but protocol’s protocol,” Walt said.

“Who put you up to this? Jerry from Security? You know that guy’s a real control freak.”

“Look, I have to do this, okay?” Walt said. “This is the Secretary-General we’re talking about. You guys had this much security for the President of Scandinavia, didn’t you?”

“Alright, alright, fine.” Clara dug out her ID card. “Here. Stupid bureaucracy.”

Walt inspected the card and then nodded. He opened the door for her. “Yeah, agreed. In you go.”

“Thanks, Walt.” Clara stepped inside.

She set down her bag at her usual chair. She took out the files she had screened yesterday evening, making sure everything was ready for her report. Then she walked across the room. The morning briefing hadn’t begun yet, and everybody was waiting. Including the Secretary-General, who looked just as annoyed as she was that he had to wake up at this time. “Good morning, sir.”

The Secretary-General looked up. “Ah, Clara, good morning.”

“Good morning to you too, sir.”

“Clara, you can drop the formalities.” The older man smiled much like a grandfather would. “You’ve been part of my staff for years now, so I think you’ve earned the right to call me by my name.”

“Uh, of course, sir,” Clara said, “I mean, Mr. Mozaffar.”

“Please, Murad is fine,” Murad said, “Anyways, about yesterday’s discussion, I’ve made a decision.”

“You have?”

Murad nodded. “I have already submitted the request, but since you are her friend, I believed it would be appropriate to let you know too, instead of being surprised when she shows up.”

“We need her that badly?”

“We don’t have a choice,” Murad said.

UN ARC ship Fraternity, in geosynchronous orbit over Beck

There was no sound in space. All Dorothy could hear were the vibrations of Fraternity’s engines underneath her boots, translated into a gentle humming echoing up her bones, her breath in her helmet…and Dr. Papadopoulos’ nagging voice over the radio. “Are you there yet?”

“C’mon, Doc, have some patience!” Dorothy lurched forward again, using her boot’s magnetic lock to propel her into her next step. After years of practice, she could walk just as well on the hull of Fraternity as she could on the surface. “I’m nearly there!”

“Your transponder says otherwise.”

“No, I can see it!” Dorothy pointed at a sensor array in the distance. “I know you can see it through my camera, too.”

“Just…hurry up. We’re on a tight schedule.”

“We’re always on a tight schedule, Doc.”

Dorothy eventually reached the sensor array and planted both of her feet on the metal hull with a firm thud and a click as the magnetic locks engaged. One hand wrapped around a rail and braced herself while she used her other one to open a maintenance panel, revealing cables inside. It took her a few seconds to survey everything inside. Once that was done, Dorothy pulled herself off the hull, using her hands to climb up. She blinked as the harsh glare of the sun, unfiltered through an atmosphere, spilled over the edge of the array. Her visor quickly adjusted its shading and flashed a warning signal about solar radiation, which she dismissed with a swipe of a finger. I’ve been going out into the open for years. I know how long I can safely stay out. Planting herself on top of the array, she began surveying the antennas and other sensors sticking out into the void.

“Okay, looks like micrometeorite damage, as usual,” she reported, “An antenna got knocked out of the proper alignment. A few cables and screws are loose. Frankly, it’s shoddy engineering from when this thing was built. These ships are supposed to take a hundred thousand people each on a decades-long voyage to distant worlds. So did those people not have any concept of quality control?”

“Can you fix it, Dorothy?” Papadopoulos said.

Dorothy grinned. She had already taken out a screwdriver and wrench from a toolbox on her belt. “Forgot who I am, Doc?”

She darted across the array, tools and fingers flying around her like the moons of Jupiter. Screws spun into place. Cables were reattached or replaced and soldered when needed. Welding using traditional tools was impossible in vacuum, but she didn’t need those tools. To cover holes created by micrometeorites, she plaed metal patches on top of them and let cold welding handle the rest. Two clean surfaces made of similar metal would fuse together in a vacuum if left in contact for too long. On Earth, there would be various greases, oxides, and other materials that formed a thin layer above each surface, allowing the atoms on each side to “know” which side they were on. But in a vacuum, if there was no such layer, the atoms wouldn’t “know” they had to be in two different sides. It was a double-edged sword. Dorothy could use it for repairs, but she also had to fully replace moving parts that had fused together with new ones she had coated with surface layers. Reminds me a little of our own squabbles on the surface. She looked up at the dusty red of Mars, wrapped in a thin atmospheric haze. Up here, she could see dust storms swirling near the settlements of Khrushchev and New Novgorod. To the west, the Mariner Valley, that great scar across the middle of Mars, was split in half by the solar terminator, one half in daytime and the other in nighttime. She could see a few lights on the night side, where Plato Base would be. It’s beautiful. We all came to Mars by ship, but I wonder if people were looking out the windows when we arrived. Even after twenty years, I still can’t see any sign of human habitation other than the lights. It all looks so small and insignificant. So…fragile. And yet I…

“Why, Doc?” she found herself saying.

“What do you mean, why?”

“Why do things have to be like this?” Dorothy said.

“I don’t get it,” Papadopoulos said.

“Up here, I can’t see any borders or countries.” Dorothy pointed at the Mariner Valley. “No armies rolling across the surface, like the news reports say. If it’s daytime, I can’t see the habitats either. I can’t see UNAP or Demofed or Mangala or the Holy Roman Empire. All I see up here is…Mars. And yet we act like we’re still separate. Like two sheets of copper atoms separated by a thin layer of grease and oxide, not realizing they’re both copper atoms. We’re all humans in the end. So why do we keep fighting, even after what we went through? Why do I…”

Don’t act like you’re above it, you know. But Dorothy put on a smile, shaking away that thought. No. Remember, Dorothy. Keep moving forward. Never look back.

---

Papadopoulos, monitoring Dorothy’s progress from the safety of her lab, didn’t know how to respond. He ruffled his lab coat. “Look, you’re going to have to ask the Security Council, because that’s way above my paygrade. I’m just a doctor.”

“A doctor they made my ha—er, supervisor, despite having no engineering experience.” Though that was so long ago. He had almost forgotten those times. “Sometimes, I wonder why they kept you here.”

“Because you’re so gearheaded you forget basic health!” Whenever she was at work, she had the tendency to get so hyperfocused on her work that she…forgot things. It was a miracle her work on the surface went as well as it did.

“Okay, dad!” Papadopoulos flinched. It was weird for a woman in her late thirties to say that, but Papadopoulos was still old enough to be her dad.

“How was your trip?”

She proudly held up a trophy. “First place!”

A headpat. “That’s my girl. I know what that deserves.”

“Yeah? What’s that?”

He took out a plate of food. “Well? What are you waiting for?”

“Dad, you didn’t have to do this.”

“No, it deserves to be celebrated!” He took a bite. “Come on, let’s eat!”

Papadopoulos shook that fragmented and hazy memory out of his head. It was a lifetime ago. No, this was no time to reflect on a past that was long destroyed. “Why…I’ll have you know, I picked up a few things from my wife.”

“Your ex or your mistress?” It was the worst thing he had ever done in his life, though he had not thought of it that way until it was too late. He constantly regretted what he did. Because everyone he knew had…

“That’s not the point, and stop sidetracking me! Get back to work!”

“I’m done, though. Heading back now.”

“Hold on a minute, are you sure you’re done?!”

“Oh yeah, I am. New record, too! Clara’s not going to believe this.”

That gung-ho can-do attitude…she was like that, once.

---

Fraternity was officially a third generation Nomad-class Astrocosmic Reusable Colonization Ship, or ARC ship for short—Someone sure wanted the acronym to spell ARC, Dorothy thought—developed by the United Nations Aerospace Program, the joint space program of all of the old nations of Earth. In the exodus from Earth, it had carried approximately 110,000 survivors of the nuclear war, primarily from Scandinavia, Russia, and the Continental Union. After being processed through Phobos Base, most of these survivors disembarked to the surface, settling in Beck and other Scandinavian/Russian settlements in Arabia Terra, and the rest went down to the Avalonian/Américain settlements in Noachis Terra and around Hellas Planitia. Fraternity was then converted into a space station in geosynchronous orbit above Beck. Those on the surface primarily knew Fraternity for its labs, which continued UNAP’s tradition of astronomical research, but Fraternity had a second and more practical purpose. Its long-range sensor arrays, in addition to watching for rogue asteroids, monitoring the quality of Earth’s irradiated atmosphere, and communicating with UNAP outposts on Venus and the Jovian moons, worked with the Concordia satellite network to provide an early warning system for the surface settlements against enemy attacks. At first, Dorothy had signed up for Fraternity’s Research Division, but UNAP took up much of her time with other projects. She could do those no problem, and sometimes they did involve her other projets, but her hands were so annoying to clean afterwards.

A few minutes after finishing her repairs, the airlock finished cycling, and the inner doors opened with a hiss. As soon as Dorothy was clear, she popped off her helmet and took a deep breath of Fraternity’s air. “Ah! That always hits the spot!” She quickly changed into her casual clothes, with a lab coat over them just to look cool. It couldn’t hurt to do a quick twirl around, letting the lab coat spin out like the dress of an Andalusian flamenco dancer.

“You done yet?” Papadopoulos grumbled.

Dorothy sighed. “How long have you been there?”

“I just got here.” The older doctor—who actually had a reason for wearing his lab coat—leaned against a doorway, arms crossed. “Any health issues to report?”

“For the last time, Doc, I’ve got nothing!” Dorothy said. “This isn’t my first rodeo. I would know if something’s wrong with my body.”

“Like you did when you nearly passed out doing Concordia maintenance on Sol 271?”

Dorothy walked past Papadopoulos with a dismissive wave. “T-That was different, you know that! In any case, I’m completely fine, so get off my case!”

Not my fault we literally just grabbed some Indian spy satellites from the last century out of Earth’s orbit and dropped them into Mars’. Those old clunkers keep breaking! Especially when…

Ignoring Papadopoulos’ frustrated sighing, she entered her lab and sat at her main desk, booting up her computer. No new emails from the surface. Not even from Clara. She should really take some time off for a trip down to Beck, see how things were going on the surface. Was that New Anglian restaurant in Pendragon still going? She hoped so. Though I’m in the mood for Piddletown’s New Jerusalem-style crab pizza lately.

“How are things at the clinic, Doc?” Dorothy asked.

“A slow day,” Papadopoulos said, “Few people came up from the surface with symptoms of muscular atrophy and osteopenia.”

“You’d think after twenty years, they would’ve learned.”

“They learned as much about microgravity health as they did about avoiding nuclear apocalypse. Only thing I could do for them is recommend extra exercise and vitamin supplements.”

“I swear I made sure the gravity plating generated 1g.” Dorothy checked her computer. “Yeah, look right there. Approximately 0.991g. Not exactly micro. If only we could spare some gravity plates for Beck and the other habitats. Last time I came back up from the surface, my legs were wobbly for ten days.”

“You know that’s impractical,” Papadopoulos said, “We barely have enough to cover all of Fraternity.”

“And you can thank my jury-rigged reactor for that!” Dorothy proudly beamed, putting her hands on her hips and sticking out her chest. “If only we had time, I could jury-rig another for Beck.”

“Think of that after we win the war.”

Dorothy typed a few lines of code onto the computer. “Speaking of the reactor…” Data scrolled across the screen at a pace only she could keep up with. “Ah, damnit. The simulations didn’t work.”

“Still trying to crack Hoffenberg’s Question?”

“Yeah. No luck there. But I feel like I’m on the verge of a breakthrough. There has to be something more to gravity manipulation. It’s no coincidence the Gabriel ship’s propulsion and artificial gravity come from the same mechanism.” Dorothy jotted down her findings. “Oh well, I’ll just write down my ideas and test them out later.”

A chime came from her computer, and a notification appeared. “You have 1 new message.”

“Huh, a new message?” Dorothy opened the email. “Wonder what it’s about—oh.”

Papadopoulos approached the desk and peered at the screen. “Another summons to the surface? What does the Security Council want with you this time?”

Dorothy sighed, her exuberance dissolving into a tired deadpan. “Secgen requested me again.”

“Are things really going so bad down there?”

Dorothy’s face hardened. “Apparently. Get the shuttle ready.”

“Dorothy,” Papadopoulos said, “Are you sure?”

“Look, I hate this kind of work as much as anybody else up here, but if I can save lives, then I’ll stomach my own feelings,” Dorothy said.

Who am I kidding? I’ve been doing that for 21 years. This is no different.

She ejected a flash drive from her computer, shoving it into her pocket. Then she tossed her notebook into her bag.

“Just be safe down there, won’t you?” Papadopoulos said. “With the state of things, you should really be careful.”

Dorothy shook away her thoughts and put on another smile. “Yeah, yeah, Doc, same as always.”

---

And now for something completely different, have a ten-part finale arc for the Annionaverse Mars saga, only this time I’ll cover the other side of the war. Think of this as a test run for the mini-arc format I want to use for one-offs that end at the next gameplay chapter—they won’t all be ten chapters, but however many I need to tell the story. These ten parts were supposed to be mixed in with the main Hohenzollernverse story happening at the same time, but I decided to put all of the Annionaverse chapters together because I want them to stand on their own, I still have writer’s block for the main story as of posting this, and I can’t figure out how to fully convert Earth UTC time to Mars time. I can convert the Earth day to Mars sol but not an exact time. Fun fact, there is such a thing as a Julian date used for astronomical timekeeping.

Fraternity was initially named Liberty, but then I realized a few days ago (relative to writing this note) that was already used in DEA for the ARC ship that ultimately founded Liberte.

The “Transient Republic of Avalon” combines both of its most common names used throughout Imperial Hearts. The USA is now the United Américain States, reflecting its Flemish, Wallonian, and Dutch influences as it was settled by a Dutch-speaking Flanders. There are also Dutch and French names among the neighborhoods of Beck. India is officially known as the United Indian Commune, so I’m keeping that in the official name.

Mali has a presence on Mars, but due to being crippled by the Lindi War and ostracized in the international community, it couldn’t send too many colonists. Their settlements were conquered by Julius very early on and as a result don’t appear on my maps.

I chose Great Scotland, Malaysia, and Australia as the three remaining great powers (assuming a Victoria 2-style system of 8 great powers) because Great Scotland had a prominent position in the UN space program with Lawrence Piddle; Malaysia because of its economic and commercial power; and Australia because it survived World War II unscathed. There also weren’t many other choices, because they were either HRE satellites, Indian satellites, insignificant like Mongolia and Haiti, or already listed as great powers (HRE, Scandinavia, Russia, India, and Avalon/UAS/Canada jointly holding one seat). I’m not surprised that a vast majority of countries in the postwar Annionaverse were HRE satellites, FSKs, dominions, California, or Occitania, but it sure made my job harder.

Malaysia’s in-game name has consistently been “Malayasia” across all three games it appears in, but I’m pretty sure that was a typo Dragoon, myself, and nobody else caught, since Dragoon only calls it “Malaysia” in text.

It was originally “Arc ship” in Imperial Hearts—and now that I think about it, “arc” was probably chosen because it sounds like “ark”—but I decided to make it an acronym. Yes, “astrocosmic” is an actual word. I didn’t know that until I was looking up words that started with astro-. The original ship class names were along the lines of “Nomad I” and “Nomad II” but I decided to go with “first generation Nomad-class” and so on.

On a similar note, I don’t remember fully canonizing “United Nations Aerospace Program” until now. I don’t know where UNAP came from. Dragoon initially named the “United Nations Space Agency” (UNSA) but quickly dropped that and started using UNAP without warning or explanation. Aerospace Program was always my headcanon, but it made less sense than Space Agency. Oh well.

New Jerusalem is the capital of Avalon. I had to dig very deeply to find that name, but it’s located somewhere on the Connecticut coast. Meanwhile, Piddletown is the capital of the Democratic Federation/Demofed, named after the Scottish astronaut Lawrence Piddle.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't think I ever said it in a chapter, but in either or both of the EU4 and Vicky mods I renamed the St. Lawrence River to the Jormungandr River.
Thanks and I know it might not be cannon or it is the name for the Rio Grande but a native name for the St. Lawrence River that I came up with was "The Great River" so can I use that?

Is the Mississippi River still called the Mississippi since I think it is either a native name or based off one?

World War I is also known as the Great War, which I've been using recently because Weltkrieg feels like I'm ripping off Kaiserreich, and I admit that was my original intent with using it in Vicky. For that reason, I'm not using Weltkrieg even though I know it's the literal translation of "World War." I also still use World War I and the First World War.

World War II might be known as the Second Great War. The Roman theater would also be known the Angeloi Rebellion. But I'll still refer to it as the Second World War/World War II. The Russians have previously been depicted as calling it the Great Patriotic War but I might change it to something original.

World War III is just that, with the same deal for the Russians’ Second Great Patriotic War. Same with IV so far.
I was just wondering since I think in a previous discussion in regards to the World War names and in @CaptainAlvious's India update for Volkerschlact it was called the "War of Heroes".

There was where the most important UN institutions were located: the General Assembly, the Security Council, the International Court of Justice, the Ministry of Defense, and where she worked, the Presidency.
“Look, I have to do this, okay?” Walt said. “This is the Secretary-General we’re talking about.
I'm confused. Is the Presidency and Secretary-General the same thing?

“Clara, you can drop the formalities.” The older man smiled much like a grandfather would. “You’ve been part of my staff for years now, so I think you’ve earned the right to call me by my name.”

“Uh, of course, sir,” Clara said, “I mean, Mr. Mozaffar.”
A part of me loves how between the two universes most of the "good guys" of the Hohenzollernverse are "evil" in the Annionaverse and the "evil ones" in the Hohenzollernverse are "good" in the Annionaverse. It goes to show how ones life can be drastically different if a few chooses were made differently.

but Fraternity had a second and more practical purpose. Its long-range sensor arrays, in addition to watching for rogue asteroids, monitoring the quality of Earth’s irradiated atmosphere, and communicating with UNAP outposts on Venus and the Jovian moons
This got me thinking if during the 2100's if we will see the wars to conquer the rest of the Sol System in the Annionaverse while the Hohenzollernverse is doing their first space launches after the war?

The USA is now the United Américain States, reflecting its Flemish, Wallonian, and Dutch influences as it was settled by a Dutch-speaking Flanders.
If that is true then hopefully the early colonial period of the USA in the Annionaverse was not like OTL's Congo Free State. :eek:

And now for something completely different, have a ten-part finale arc for the Annionaverse Mars saga, only this time I’ll cover the other side of the war. Think of this as a test run for the mini-arc format I want to use for one-offs that end at the next gameplay chapter—they won’t all be ten chapters, but however many I need to tell the story. These ten parts were supposed to be mixed in with the main Hohenzollernverse story happening at the same time, but I decided to put all of the Annionaverse chapters together because I want them to stand on their own, I still have writer’s block for the main story as of posting this, and I can’t figure out how to fully convert Earth UTC time to Mars time. I can convert the Earth day to Mars sol but not an exact time. Fun fact, there is such a thing as a Julian date used for astronomical timekeeping.
I know you said that you want to do a self-contained story-arc's between that only last between each chapter update but I thought you were going to do those mini-arc's after the Committee/World War IV arc was finished?

All in all I love that we get to see a new side of the war and I think that doing mini arc's like this would be a great way to help clear up any writer’s block while you think of new stuff for the story and a good way for us to as @Orror SANESS said see what happened between Annionaverse 1945 and 2200.

That being said like how in the "MISCELLANEOUS" tab you put the links to the maps you did of Annionaverse Earth in 2018 and of Mars in 2039 I would love to see all the story updates that have anything related to the Annionaverse weather that be a full update like these ten will be, ones that were half like the "Closing Moves" or mixed ones like the Fringe ones in a sub-tab of the "MISCELLANEOUS" tab like this:
Example.JPG

but again were you put a second link for the Annionaverse updates under the MISCELLANEOUS tab. If that is possible?

I was just wondering since I think in a previous discussion in regards to the World War names and in @CaptainAlvious's India update for Volkerschlact it was called the "War of Heroes".
I don’t think that name exists in the main timeline, I found I post that might have originally inspired me, but since India lost in the orginal timeline WW1 is called the war of humiliation instead.
Is the Mississippi River still called the Mississippi since I think it is either a native name or based off one?
Mississippi is a French iteration of the native Misi zipi, so it’s called that instead only without a space IIRC.

That reminds me, the word Levant comes from French so I wonder what term you would use to replace that, since it doesn’t make sense for Jerusalem to name a district with a French word. Maybe you. could translate “rising“ into Greek or German since that’s what Levant means? I guess you could stick with the Latin “Orient” as well.

Nice to see an Annionaverse update from the other side of the Martian wars. Didn’t expect to see Clara, Demetrios, and Mozaffar here, but it’s a nice surprise. This does make me even more conflicted about rooting for Julius tho, since now we have sympathetic characters opposing him. Good update, looking forward to what you have in stores for this story.

Last edited:
Thanks and I know it might not be cannon or it is the name for the Rio Grande but a native name for the St. Lawrence River that I came up with was "The Great River" so can I use that?
Wikipedia has five indigenous names we can use:

• mets'ichi chena, Keresan, "Big River"
  • posoge, Tewa, "Big River"
  • paslápaane, Tiwa, "Big River"
  • hañapakwa, Towa, "Great Waters"
  • Tó Baʼáadi, Navajo, "Female River" (the direction south is female in Navajo cosmology)

I’m inclined towards either the Navajo name, because the Diné were a major power in the region, or the Tewa name because it’s easiest to write.
Mississippi is a French iteration of the native Misi zipi, so it’s called that instead only without a space IIRC
Yes, that’s right. I can’t find a better indigenous name that doesn’t rely on a tribe being the first to say it to a European explorer, so we’re sticking with that one.
I don’t think that name exists in the main timeline, I found I post that might have originally inspired me, but since India lost in the orginal timeline WW1 is called the war of humiliation instead.
That and I’d rather not contribute to the romanticization of war anymore than is historically and realistically appropriate.
I'm confused. Is the Presidency and Secretary-General the same thing?
The Presidency is a political institution like the Security Council that contains the Secretary-General and his subordinates, while the Secretary-General is the office and title itself.
A part of me loves how between the two universes most of the "good guys" of the Hohenzollernverse are "evil" in the Annionaverse and the "evil ones" in the Hohenzollernverse are "good" in the Annionaverse. It goes to show how ones life can be drastically different if a few chooses were made differently.
And notice how he’s called Murad and not Mozaffar.
This got me thinking if during the 2100's if we will see the wars to conquer the rest of the Sol System in the Annionaverse while the Hohenzollernverse is doing their first space launches after the war?
I have plans to go over Julius’ return to Earth eventually. However, I don’t have plans or ideas at the moment for events outside of the Earth/Mars orbits or Julius’ reign.
If that is true then hopefully the early colonial period of the USA in the Annionaverse was not like OTL's Congo Free State. :eek:
From what Dragoon wrote, it seemed the UAS acted almost exactly like the OTL USA early on.
I know you said that you want to do a self-contained story-arc's between that only last between each chapter update but I thought you were going to do those mini-arc's after the Committee/World War IV arc was finished?
This wasn’t in the original plan. I was going to switch between the two universes in a single arc to wrap up Julius and Julian’s stories so far, but I couldn’t figure out how to write the Hohenzollernverse parts. So I decided to write the Annionaverse parts in one go and hoped the writer’s block resolved itself. It still has not and it’s been made worse by me making the crazy decision to start watching almost every mainline Gundam property, so the Annionaverse parts sat fully completed while the Hohenzollernverse ones are barely started. Not to mention the aforementioned issues with converting Earth time to Mars time so I can’t perfectly sync up events on one planet with another. In the end, I decided to post what I have currently and use it as a test run for future mini arcs.
All in all I love that we get to see a new side of the war and I think that doing mini arc's like this would be a great way to help clear up any writer’s block while you think of new stuff for the story and a good way for us to as @Orror SANESS said see what happened between Annionaverse 1945 and 2200.
The issue isn’t thinking up new stuff, it’s writing a narrative for it. Though I wouldn’t be against figuring out new ideas for more looks into Julius’ life after this war.
That being said like how in the "MISCELLANEOUS" tab you put the links to the maps you did of Annionaverse Earth in 2018 and of Mars in 2039 I would love to see all the story updates that have anything related to the Annionaverse weather that be a full update like these ten will be, ones that were half like the "Closing Moves" or mixed ones like the Fringe ones in a sub-tab of the "MISCELLANEOUS" tab like this
Maybe not at the moment, as I want to portray both universes as hewing to the same timeline and continuity, if that makes sense.
That reminds me, the word Levant comes from French so I wonder what term you would use to replace that, since it doesn’t make sense for Jerusalem to name a district with a French word. Maybe you. could translate “rising“ into Greek or German since that’s what Levant means? I guess you could stick with the Latin “Orient” as well.
Maybe I’ll keep al-Mashriq, in a similar deal for Arabic as how some French placenames remained in use after the French language was supplanted.
Nice to see an Annionaverse update from the other side of the Martian wars. Didn’t expect to see Clara, Demitritos, and Mozaffar here, but it’s a nice surprise. This does make me even more conflicted about rooting for Julius tho, since now we have sympathetic characters opposing him. Goof update, looking forward to what you have in stores for this story.
That’s what war is. You’re killing people who have their own lives, hopes, dreams, friends, and so on for some nebulous idea, line on the ground, or the enrichment of those in power who couldn’t give a damn about you. I can’t just ignore that. Maybe it’s fitting that I started watching Gundam since that’s the core theme its creator wanted to convey.