The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Agreed, and I see similarities between Reinhard and a couple mad Targaryens.

Out of curiosity @TWR97, what are your plans for Littlefinger in your ASOIAF updates? I hope Petyr Baelish gets more to do than what little D&D gave him in GOT's later seasons. Same goes for Varys as well, more scheming and politicking is always nice.
Oh believe me Littlefinger, unlike in the show will be the scheming magnificent bastard he was always meant to be portrayed, same with Varys. If the whole setting didn't have the Others invading and Magic making a resurgence, Baelish would have been in a prime position to become a powerful lord especially if Dany or Young Griff win the Iron Throne. Like in OTL, he gets Harrenhal, and the curse that comes with it. I basically tied Littlefinger's arc to have his downfall be the one thing he can't outmaneuver or outclass, magic. Though unlike the kangaroo court that was in the show, the dude will get his comeuppance in another fashion.

Speaking of basing the Targaryens on our Hohenzollern rulers, I think I can see similarities between Jaeherys and Wilhelmina as well, a superb ruler, though with a lot of controversies, oversaw a golden age (semi-renaissance in Wilhelmina's case), their deaths would follow a sequence of events that nearly tore their respective realms apart. HOTD in TTL would have more East Romanesque iconography compared to the one in OTL where we got a look on young Rhaenyra's gown an crown when the lords swore an oath to Viserys. The culture in King's Landing would practically be similar to Constantinople's with the Red Keep home to intrigue and politicking in true Byzantine fashion. The Sept of Baelor totally isn't a play on the Hagia Sophia too. And speaking of fashion I can picture the Targaryens having a more eastern look to their fashion, especially as they did all come from Essos after all. Thereby giving the Westeros that Aegon the Conqueror ruled, similar to the Reich Fredreich the Great built.

Reactions:
Speaking of Friedrich. Recently I‘ve been thinking that Friedrich The Great is similar to figures like Romulus and George Washington. Figures who to the common people became more myths than real people. In all three instances Romulus, Washington are made up to be these supermen who did everything on their own and not much is talked about the people who came before that made their rise happen. The same is true in TTL in how before he was Kaiser Friedrich I was a Crusader in the Middle East and then when he became Kaiser he used the conflict created by the Investiture Controversy as a way to unite Europe using divide and conquer. I know both in the current version of the story and in the DE you are keeping this but I was thinking that it would all be too much to have this all be attributed to one person.

Another thing I thought of is that Friedrich would also have needed to unite the HRE. I thought this because for most of its history the HRE was not a “traditional” nation like France, Russia, etc, etc but instead something similar to Japan during the shogunate with the Holy Roman Emperors having almost as little power as the Japanese Emperors. In Japan Emperor Meiji was forced to use war to bring some of those vessels into line in the form of the Boshin War. I can see a similar thing happen here in where Friedrich is opposed in his plans for Europe by HRE nobles who enjoy their power and not wanting to give it up. To solve this I would recommend having a Hohenzollern before Friedrich rise to power and wage a war similar to both Boshin War-like conflict against those nobles starting the rift between the Hohenzollerns and the Pope leading to their excommunication. This could pave the way for when Friedrich becomes Kaiser (who could be crusading during his predecessor's reign) he can use the Investiture Controversy to unite Europe?

I was looking back on the Chapters regarding the formation of the Reich and created this timeline;
Friedrich the Great’s early reign as a Margrave: January 1, 1066 - July 16, 1082
Friedrich the Great became Kaiser of the HRE and unites Europe: July 16, 1082 - March 14, 1105
Friedrich II becomes the first Kaiser of the Reich: March 14, 1105

This is my new timeline:
Friedrich’s predecessor centralizes the HRE: 1062 - 1066
Friedrich the Great early reign as a Margrave: January 1, 1066 - July 16, 1082
Friedrich the Great as Kaiser of the HRE and unites Europe: July 16, 1082 - March 14, 1105

Speaking of Friedrich. Recently I‘ve been thinking that Friedrich The Great is similar to figures like Romulus and George Washington. Figures who to the common people became more myths than real people. In all three instances Romulus, Washington are made up to be these supermen who did everything on their own and not much is talked about the people who came before that made their rise happen. The same is true in TTL in how before he was Kaiser Friedrich I was a Crusader in the Middle East and then when he became Kaiser he used the conflict created by the Investiture Controversy as a way to unite Europe using divide and conquer. I know both in the current version of the story and in the DE you are keeping this but I was thinking that it would all be too much to have this all be attributed to one person.

Another thing I thought of is that Friedrich would also have needed to unite the HRE. I thought this because for most of its history the HRE was not a “traditional” nation like France, Russia, etc, etc but instead something similar to Japan during the shogunate with the Holy Roman Emperors having almost as little power as the Japanese Emperors. In Japan Emperor Meiji was forced to use war to bring some of those vessels into line in the form of the Boshin War. I can see a similar thing happen here in where Friedrich is opposed in his plans for Europe by HRE nobles who enjoy their power and not wanting to give it up. To solve this I would recommend having a Hohenzollern before Friedrich rise to power and wage a war similar to both Boshin War-like conflict against those nobles starting the rift between the Hohenzollerns and the Pope leading to their excommunication. This could pave the way for when Friedrich becomes Kaiser (who could be crusading during his predecessor's reign) he can use the Investiture Controversy to unite Europe?

I was looking back on the Chapters regarding the formation of the Reich and created this timeline;
Friedrich the Great’s early reign as a Margrave: January 1, 1066 - July 16, 1082
Friedrich the Great became Kaiser of the HRE and unites Europe: July 16, 1082 - March 14, 1105

This is my new timeline:
Friedrich’s predecessor centralizes the HRE: 1062 - 1066
Friedrich the Great early reign as a Margrave: January 1, 1066 - July 16, 1082
Friedrich the Great as Kaiser of the HRE and unites Europe: July 16, 1082 - March 14, 1105
Eh, I'm not really sure we need another Hohenzollern before Fredrich. Fredrich siding with Henrich IV in the Controversy and helping him defeat the Papal forces seems to be enough. I do agree that Fredrich couldn't have done everything on his own like great man theory would claim he did, but i'd rather not undercut Fredrich's own achivements by another Hohenzollern before Fredrich pave the road for his success, but instead put some of the spotlight on the people around him who either contributed to his success, like Ida's diplomatic efforts in Italy and Byzantium getting important power players like Anna Dalassene and Eudokia Makrembolitissa on Fredrich's side or El Cid and the Jimena princes joining Fredrich's court later on, or even opposed him and made him face some challenges that he grew from, like Robert Guiscard and Matilda of Tuscany proving to be a thorn in Fredrich and Ida's sides during the Controversy.

Reactions:
You make a great comparison. Friedrich is no doubt remembered as the great founder of a nation, like the other two you mentioned, and as such their lives get mythologized over time with new stories and themes added to suit each era and government. However, we shouldn’t forget that in recent chapters I have already tried to shift a lot of his efforts away from solely him and towards the people around him, in line with my new themes. Werner von Habsburg would be an older mentor figure who would teach him lessons in politics and combat. Ida is his best diplomat. Friedrich von Sigmaringen butts heads with him on the battlefield, but they both learn and grow as a result. Nizam al-Mulk, Robert Guiscard, Heinrich IV, Alexios Komnenos, El Cid, and many others on both sides of his campaign all played their own roles. It was never Friedrich’s work alone, but everybody working together, including the antagonists, which brought about Restoration.
We also shouldn’t forget that the decentralized HRE that Voltaire and modern history nerds meme about was from much later in history. The HRE in the 11th century was very different. Even if it was still decentralized and a collection of smaller kingdoms, duchies, electorates, and principalities, the emperor continued to wield significant power in both political and religious matters. This was the era of the Investiture Controversy and of imperial and papal aligned rulers struggling for dominance over each other. That’s why I want to portray the HRE side of the Restoration as a long-running political struggle primarily taking place within royal courts and the Vatican, instead of mainly open battles. There will still be military conflicts like Robert’s shenanigans in Italy, El Cid and the Norse taking advantage of the imperial-papal power struggle in Iberia, and the Crusades, but the politicking is where the real battles are fought. Robert is merely an ally of the Pope. The Norse invasion only happens because the Christian kingdoms are divided in their loyalties and the Islamic emirates are distracted trying to exploit that division. The Crusades are the scene of intense covert maneuvering between imperial and papal armies over who claims the best battles and conquests. All this goes towards Friedrich’s ultimate goal: achieving political and religious supremacy over the Pope, and through that secure the needed reputation, political capital, and military strength to bring a majority of imperial lords around to his side.

To that end, I cannot support adding another Hohenzollern before Friedrich. I know I already plan on adjusting the pre-1066 timeline a bit to justify the Pagan Resurgence, but that is one thing I absolutely cannot change. Wilhelm’s story would be messed up, along with everything I’ve written about him recently. The character dynamics I’ve been researching and brainstorming would go out the window. Friedrich is supposed to be the new face with a new way of thinking who comes out of nowhere and as a result isn’t beholden by the old power structures of the HRE. Also, starting him off excommunicated would be political suicide. If the Pope does excommunicate him in my current timeline plans, it will be later in his story when he has already amassed enough political capital to survive and even turn it around in his favor.

Remember, Friedrich’s not doing this alone. Later history might claim he did, but that’s generally what happens in official historical narratives because reality is complicated but people want to hear a simple story with one hero—great man theory and all that as brought up below. The centralization of the HRE, subjugation of the Papacy, and unification with the Eastern Roman Empire may seem like tall feats especially in light of what happened in OTL, but (1) these three goals significantly overlap in how Friedrich goes about achieving them, and achieving one helps with the others, and (2) he doesn’t have to do it all on his own, because that’s what the rest of his allies are for. He might have an angel watching over him, but he’s still one human in the end. You’re right that he can only achieve so much, but that’s why he has friends and allies, so they can do the things he can’t and as a result attain greater heights that he couldn’t on his own. Meanwhile, the Pope, Robert, and their other allies are unable to fully trust each other and cooperate to the same extent, so they are ultimately defeated.
Eh, I'm not really sure we need another Hohenzollern before Fredrich. Fredrich siding with Henrich IV in the Controversy and helping him defeat the Papal forces seems to be enough. I do agree that Fredrich couldn't have done everything on his own like great man theory would claim he did, but i'd rather not undercut Fredrich's own achivements by another Hohenzollern before Fredrich pave the road for his success, but instead put some of the spotlight on the people around him who either contributed to his success, like Ida's diplomatic efforts in Italy and Byzantium getting important power players like Anna Dalassene and Eudokia Makrembolitissa on Fredrich's side or El Cid and the Jimena princes joining Fredrich's court later on, or even opposed him and made him face some challenges that he grew from, like Robert Guiscard and Matilda of Tuscany proving to be a thorn in Fredrich and Ida's sides during the Controversy.
Yes, exactly. As I’ve said above, Friedrich did not and could not do everything alone. Great man theory might exist within in-universe historical narratives, but I don’t want to repeat it on a meta level. History is made not by one person steering its course as they please, but by the product of many forces acting together, both natural and manmade, and many people trying to realize their own hopes and dreams. I want to convey that as best as I can. Kind of bakes my themes into the very narrative structure itself, doesn’t it?

Reactions:
Thanks @CaptainAlvious and @zenphoenix for your replies. It does make sense that all of these achievements were done with the help of others. Come to think of it if you have more updates like "The Caliph’s Request" like updates or the older "Study Session" ones in were you could have that debate between different characters who want to blame Friedrich for all the Reich's ill's and those that realize there were more people involved in its creation and want a more in-depth conversation?

Another thing I was thinking of is how many National Monuments from around the world would from OTL still exist? I know ones like Mount Rushmore would not but would monuments like Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, La Sagrada Familia, Brandenburg Gate, etc, etc still be around or would new ones take their place?

Another thing I was thinking of is how many National Monuments from around the world would from OTL still exist? I know ones like Mount Rushmore would not but would monuments like Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, La Sagrada Familia, Brandenburg Gate, etc, etc still be around or would new ones take their place?
I'm pretty sure the monuments you mentioned, aside from Mount Rushmore and Brandenburg Gate, were listed specifically by Zen as being destroyed by Jerusalem during Tabula Rasa, so all of those plus Brandenburg Gate still exist. As for Mount Rushmore, that definitely wouldn't exist, but perhaps larger and more complete version of the Crazy Horse Memorial (with Crazy Horse as a notable general during the Great Eimerican Wars) or some big monument to Pierremaskin would take its place, though that's assuming there isn't significant pushback against them given how controversial the Crazy House Memorial already is with the Lakota in OTL.

Moving on, I’m surprised to have learned that the OTL Mali Empire appears to have been something of a consistutional monarchy in the 13th century, so now I’m wondering what inspirations would have gone into the making of the Augustian Code, since I can see it taking inspiration from the Kouroukan Fouga or other legal traditions, like Byzantine or HRE law. Nizam al Mulk’s treatises, or various other legal systems across Europe.

I also found this in the CK2 thread and I'm surprised you completely skipped over it in the gameplay chapters as it seems like it would be a big deal by your current storytelling standards, especially given Saint Wihelmina's alliance and trade relations with India which would result in this civil war being crisis that would shake up her long peace. Through I suppose you ignored this because CK2 was very Hohenzollern and Reich focused, so we didn't get much information on other empires either except when they were at war with the Reich, became allies with it, or got invaded by the Mongols and Timurids. More attention on India, especially during CK2 since they did practically nothing there, would be nice to have in DE. The Funny thing is that this presumably happened after Persia under Yunus invaded the Ghaznavids and were kicked out themselves. The Ghaznavids can't catch a break with how many people keep invading them huh. At least Afganistan gets to live up to its "Graveyard of Empires" moniker in TTL.
At one point in the 12th century they had a huge doomstack which they used to invade Afghanistan. They won but then promptly lost their gains in a Ghaznavid invasion when the doomstack was destroyed during a huge civil war where basically every single Indian vassal rebelled. Now they're just chilling around, hoping the Timurids don't go full Mughal on them...
Also after giving the Gunhilda event chain some thought, I feel like if the nobility and the remnants of the Papal faction from the Controversy had a problem with Gunhilda gaining influence in the military and the Kaiser's favor due to her gender and class, then they would certainly have a problem with Wilhelmina being Fredrich the Glorious' heir over a male heir. I guess Fredrich could always pull a Viserys and insist on Wihelmina as his heir (I imagine he'd do this to honor Wilhelmina's mother too) and weaken the papal faction by getting a lot of them to die in that crazy crusade for Perm, but then there comes the problem of challenges to Wihelmina and Gunhilda once Fredrich dies. If it were not for Kirill being a bastard and raised as a Slavic pagan, I could see a lot of nobles rising up in support of his invasion so that the Reich could have a male ruler. So there's plently of room here for political intrigue that could eventually lead to Gunhilda and Wihelmina working together to mend of the schism and the creation of a more inclusive branch of Christianity, before eventually having their falling out over Wihelmina's purges. Obviously they can't do this alone, so Gunhilda and Wihelmina would need allies to secure their legitimacy, which could be a role filled by eastern nobles like Anna Kommene and David the Builder (because of Maria of Alania’s influence) for example, since they are probably more used to powerful women than the Catholic west and have a vested interest in Wihelmina’s orthodox regime. Also I checked this screenshot during Kirill's invasion and from it can guess Ali must have been a good diplomat and spymaster from his maxed out intrigue education and high diplomacy stats, so he would definitely be useful in foiling plots against Wihelmina.
1695397379106.png

Also since I asked about how long long Saltuk and Furuzan ruled for recently, I'm now wondering the same question for CK2 rulers like Sbyslava and Yunus?

Last edited:
Thanks @CaptainAlvious and @zenphoenix for your replies. It does make sense that all of these achievements were done with the help of others. Come to think of it if you have more updates like "The Caliph’s Request" like updates or the older "Study Session" ones in were you could have that debate between different characters who want to blame Friedrich for all the Reich's ill's and those that realize there were more people involved in its creation and want a more in-depth conversation?
I do like writing stuff like that. There's a meta level where the narration of gameplay chapters is written from an in-universe perspective and loosely reflects the historiographical trends of the era. So the CK2 and EU4 eras had a very court chronicle-like approach focused on the Hohenzollerns and other important political figures, and later eras shift to social history with less focus on great man theory. The story side also does something similar. Just like in OTL, the general public as of the 2020s largely believed in great man theory, which is backed up by political narratives of Friedrich the Great being the founder of the nation. It's gradually changing though as history shines a light on the people around him and begins giving them their due credit. It's like how in OTL I get the vibe the Byzantine Empire is gradually being rehabilitated and remembered by the general public after centuries of Edward Gibbon and classical Greece romanticism, though obviously most people will still only care about the classical empire.
I'm pretty sure the monuments you mentioned, aside from Mount Rushmore and Brandenburg Gate, were listed specifically by Zen as being destroyed by Jerusalem during Tabula Rasa, so all of those plus Brandenburg Gate still exist. As for Mount Rushmore, that definitely wouldn't exist, but perhaps larger and more complete version of the Crazy Horse Memorial (with Crazy Horse as a notable general during the Great Eimerican Wars) or some big monument to Pierremaskin would take its place, though that's assuming there isn't significant pushback against them given how controversial the Crazy House Memorial already is with the Lakota in OTL.
Most of those do exist, at least the ones that would have a good reason to still exist under the Reich. There's plenty that never existed to begin with as well as plenty of completely new ones that don't exist in OTL. That's most noticeable in the Eimericas due to a lack of European colonization and indigenous genocide on the same scale as in OTL.

On a similar note, yesterday I was thinking of what kind of movies and popular culture other countries would produce, especially Fusang and Penglai. I imagine Fusang's movie industry would be renowned worldwide for its youxia/ronin movies. In these movies, either a Chinese youxia or a Japanese ronin (perhaps forced to leave Japan due to the daimyo wars, the Korean invasion, repression by the Chinese and Korean regimes, or persecution of Christianity) go around the eastern parts of Fusang protecting the weak and upholding justice. There'd probably be cultural differences depending on if the movie is produced in Hongzhou, Jinshan, or Zhumasi. Hongzhou would have greater positive indigenous representation, including indigenous protagonists and supporting casts. They'd also have more Japanese and Korean protagonists, focus on working together with indigenous groups, and generally portraying indigenous cultures in an equal light with Chinese culture. Zhumasi would have more "noble savage" type stories, including a lot of Diné co-leads filling in the "strong and stoic bodyguard who swears a life oath to protect the protagonist" trope, though they would still try to portray indigenous peoples in a positive light. Jinshan movies are heavily Chinese focused. You'd see stories about triads, court politics, and city life here. If indigenous people do appear, it's generally as minor antagonists or stereotyped comic relief, and even then they're still overshadowed by Chinese antagonists and supporting characters. Penglai, meanwhile, would have an entire movie subgenre revolving around exiled Japanese ronin making their way around the outback. I know I referenced "Mad Mao" as a Penglai equivalent of the Mad Max movies, but it would be cool if they were inspired by that outback ronin genre, even if "Mao" as the main lead is still Chinese.
Moving on, I’m surprised to have learned that the OTL Mali Empire appears to have been something of a consistutional monarchy in the 13th century, so now I’m wondering what inspirations would have gone into the making of the Augustian Code, since I can see it taking inspiration from the Kouroukan Fouga or other legal traditions, like Byzantine or HRE law. Nizam al Mulk’s treatises, or various other legal systems across Europe.
I did reference that in the Mali section of one of the recent gameplay chapters. I wanted to go more into detail about Mali's government, but I couldn't figure out how to write it. In short, it has a lot of the proto-constitutional government institutions that Sundiata's Mali Empire had, only they survived and evolved over the centuries.

For the Augustinian Code, I imagine it would take from a variety of European legal traditions. There's already heavy influence from Byzantine law and HRE institutions, but I also see elements from Anglo-Saxon traditions, the medieval Spanish cortés, Toulouse's capitouls, and institutions from al-Andalus and the larger Islamic world.
I also found this in the CK2 thread and I'm surprised you completely skipped over it in the gameplay chapters as it seems like it would be a big deal by your current storytelling standards, especially given Saint Wihelmina's alliance and trade relations with India which would result in this civil war being crisis that would shake up her long peace. Through I suppose you ignored this because CK2 was very Hohenzollern and Reich focused, so we didn't get much information on other empires either except when they were at war with the Reich, became allies with it, or got invaded by the Mongols and Timurids. More attention on India, especially during CK2 since they did practically nothing there, would be nice to have in DE. The Funny thing is that this presumably happened after Persia under Yunus invaded the Ghaznavids and were kicked out themselves. The Ghaznavids can't catch a break with how many people keep invading them huh. At least Afganistan gets to live up to its "Graveyard of Empires" moniker in TTL.
I ignored it because (1) such a rebellion is a product of CK2's very western European feudalism-focused gameplay mechanics and the AI doing what the AI does, and (2) if such a rebellion happened in real life, it would succeed. The Indian subcontinent is extremely diverse, and uniting it was already very big of a stretch, let alone holding it together. I'd really like to go over what's happening in India and other countries in DE.

I have to admit the whole deal with Yunus invading Afghanistan and getting kicked out very soon afterward was helped along by me because I wanted him to claim the empire-level title for Persia and meet the requirements for Saoshyant, but I didn't want the Ghaznavids to be permanently destroyed as an independent kingdom either. That's why I didn't focus on it too much. I'll figure out a better in-universe justification for it in DE.
Also after giving the Gunhilda event chain some thought, I feel like if the nobility and the remnants of the Papal faction from the Controversy had a problem with Gunhilda gaining influence in the military and the Kaiser's favor due to her gender and class, then they would certainly have a problem with Wilhelmina being Fredrich the Glorious' heir over a male heir. I guess Fredrich could always pull a Viserys and insist on Wihelmina as his heir (I imagine he'd do this to honor Wilhelmina's mother too), but then there comes the problem of challenges to Wihelmina and Gunhilda once Fredrich dies. If it were not for Kirill being a bastard and raised as a Slavic pagan, I could see a lot of nobles rising up in support of his invasion so that the Reich could have a male ruler. So there's plently of room here for political intrigue that could eventually lead to Gunhilda and Wihelmina working together to mend of the schism and the creation of a more inclusive branch of Christianity, before eventually having their falling out over Wihelmina's purges. Obviously they can't do this alone, so Gunhilda and Wihelmina would need allies to secure their legitimacy, which could be a role filled by eastern nobles like Anna Kommene and David the Builder (because of Maria of Alania’s influence) for example, since they are probably more used to powerful women than the Catholic west and have a vested interest in Wihelmina’s orthodox regime. Also I checked this screenshot during Kirill's invasion and from it can guess Ali must have been a good diplomat and spymaster from his maxed out intrigue education and high diplomacy stats, so he would definitely be useful in foiling plots against Wihelmina.
I like that idea.
Also since I asked about how long long Saltuk and Furuzan ruled for recently, I'm now wondering the same question for CK2 rulers like Sbyslava and Yunus?
Sbyslava was born in 1093, became queen of Ruthenia in 1100, was proclaimed Tsaritsa in 1118, and died in 1139.

Yunus was born in 1099, became shah of Persia in 1110, created the empire level title/was proclaimed Saoshyant in 1144, and died in 1153.

Reactions:
On a similar note, yesterday I was thinking of what kind of movies and popular culture other countries would produce, especially Fusang and Penglai. I imagine Fusang's movie industry would be renowned worldwide for its youxia/ronin movies. In these movies, either a Chinese youxia or a Japanese ronin (perhaps forced to leave Japan due to the daimyo wars, the Korean invasion, repression by the Chinese and Korean regimes, or persecution of Christianity) go around the eastern parts of Fusang protecting the weak and upholding justice. There'd probably be cultural differences depending on if the movie is produced in Hongzhou, Jinshan, or Zhumasi. Hongzhou would have greater positive indigenous representation, including indigenous protagonists and supporting casts. They'd also have more Japanese and Korean protagonists, focus on working together with indigenous groups, and generally portraying indigenous cultures in an equal light with Chinese culture. Zhumasi would have more "noble savage" type stories, including a lot of Diné co-leads filling in the "strong and stoic bodyguard who swears a life oath to protect the protagonist" trope, though they would still try to portray indigenous peoples in a positive light. Jinshan movies are heavily Chinese focused. You'd see stories about triads, court politics, and city life here. If indigenous people do appear, it's generally as minor antagonists or stereotyped comic relief, and even then they're still overshadowed by Chinese antagonists and supporting characters. Penglai, meanwhile, would have an entire movie subgenre revolving around exiled Japanese ronin making their way around the outback. I know I referenced "Mad Mao" as a Penglai equivalent of the Mad Max movies, but it would be cool if they were inspired by that outback ronin genre, even if "Mao" as the main lead is still Chinese.
Ooh, I like that. Any ideas on the movie industries in Indosphere countries like in places like Pascimabhumi, Nusantara, or Daksinabhumi would be like?
Sbyslava was born in 1093, became queen of Ruthenia in 1100, was proclaimed Tsaritsa in 1118, and died in 1139.
Huh, Sbyslava was younger than I expected, I thought she was the same age as Fredrich the Glorious before. Then again we did talk about aging up Gunhilda before and moving back both her events and the Sbyslava stuff to earlier in the timeline before, so I guess both Sbyslava and Kirill would be aged up. Still, I'm curios about when Kirill was born now?

Ooh, I like that. Any ideas on the movie industries in Indosphere countries like in places like Pascimabhumi, Nusantara, or Daksinabhumi would be like?
Haven’t thought of that yet. But I’m open to ideas.
Huh, Sbyslava was younger than I expected, I thought she was the same age as Fredrich the Glorious before. Then again we did talk about aging up Gunhilda before and moving back both her events and the Sbyslava stuff to earlier in the timeline before, so I guess both Sbyslava and Kirill would be aged up. Still, I'm curios about when Kirill was born now?
Yeah, I’m fine with adjusting Sbyslava’s age. Most likely I’ll move her birthdate to around Friedrich and Gunhilda’s (her adjusted one). Maybe I could make a plot point about Kirill actually being older than Wilhelmina, if only by a few months or years.

Reactions:
Viserys and insist on Wihelmina as his heir (I imagine he'd do this to honor Wilhelmina's mother too) and weaken the papal faction by getting a lot of them to die in that crazy crusade for Perm, but then there comes the problem of challenges to Wihelmina and Gunhilda once Fredrich dies. If it were not for Kirill being a bastard and raised as a Slavic pagan, I could see a lot of nobles rising up in support of his invasion so that the Reich could have a male ruler.
Now that you mention this, doesn't Fredreich die of injuries due to the battles he personally led, I recall him getting the maimed trait during his entry in the CK2 portion. He and HOTD's version of Viserys strongly resemble each other in that aspect, I think this is why F&B's portrayal of Vizzy T in the Hohenzollernverse WOULD be the show version. Now that I've joked about the Dance being a rehash of Kiril's war for the Reich, now I can picture Viserys being a quasi Fredreich the Glorious.

Added a spoiler tag cause of HOTD spoilers.
Now that you mention this, doesn't Fredreich die of injuries due to the battles he personally led, I recall him getting the maimed trait during his entry in the CK2 portion. He and HOTD's version of Viserys strongly resemble each other in that aspect, I think this is why F&B's portrayal of Vizzy T in the Hohenzollernverse WOULD be the show version. Now that I've joked about the Dance being a rehash of Kiril's war for the Reich, now I can picture Viserys being a quasi Fredreich the Glorious.
I could also see Corly's injury resulting in the Greens reworking with Vaemond to screw over Rhenerya and her kids reflected in Fredrich's maiming too, hence why I mentioned the nobility scheming to undermine Wihelmina's rule. I think like how Viserys eventually intervene in the Driftmark succesion on behalf of Rhaenyra despite his poor state from his infected injuries inflicted on him by the Iron Throne, I think It would be cool to see a maimed and dying Fredrich muster the strength to come to Wihelmina and Gunhilda's defense one more time. Not sure if Zen has seen HOTD, but I can see Fredrich being sort of like a combination between a more decisive Viserys (and maybe a bit of Daemon's ruthlessness too) and Dimtri from FE: Three Houses.

Last edited:
Now that you mention this, doesn't Fredreich die of injuries due to the battles he personally led, I recall him getting the maimed trait during his entry in the CK2 portion.
I just checked the relevant chapter and you’re right. He was injured in a battle, came down with an illness, and then died in 1126. It wasn’t directly from the injury though.

I just checked the relevant chapter and you’re right. He was injured in a battle, came down with an illness, and then died in 1126. It wasn’t directly from the injury though.
True, but you could probably say he caught said illness from his wounds getting infected. That seems to be a reasonable conclusion. To make the Viserys comparisons @TWR97 and I have drawn stronger, perhaps his illness could be an ongoing thing he suffered from for years could‘ve have developed from several wounds accumulated over the years that refused to heal.

True, but you could probably say he caught said illness from his wounds getting infected. That seems to be a reasonable conclusion.
I think that was my original implication.

Closing Moves, Part 3

I am ready. The plan is ready.

Julian stood in front of an empty oil drum. Flames flickered under his hands as all of the notebooks, maps, charts, hard drives, and memory cards he had used over the last week were currently being reduced to ashes. To anyone passing by, his facial features would be obscured by both his baggy clothes and the nighttime darkness, making him appear to be a regular homeless man. It would not throw off the surveillance drones Mozaffar had started deploying, though. So he had to stay on the move. Once he was sure his physical media had been rendered unusable, he stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked away, letting other homeless people share the warmth.

He stuck to back alleys, where surveillance was lighter. That and he always felt more comfortable in the seedy underbelly of the city. It had been like this since leaving Bremerhaven. There was no point in keeping his hands clean when the rest of the world was mired in blood and mud. And he learned much more about what Persian society was truly like here than he could ever hope to by observing the clean public image on the surface. Men and women in flashy party clothes bobbed their heads to the faint punk music coming through dimly lit doorways. The air had a slight whiff of cannabis. He looked down an alley and saw a man doubled over, vomiting into a trash can. Examination campaign posters were plastered all over the wall, but they themselves were covered in all sorts of obscenities and non-mainstream political slogans. Many of the streetlights were off, and those that weren’t flickered intermittently, with flies and moths buzzing around them. This was the true nature of Persian society, which Mozaffar and his cronies would rather ignore.

Julian arrived at his destination, a nightclub in a secluded part of the alley. A tough-looking bouncer stood in front of the door, but he stepped aside when Julian took off his hat and sunglasses, revealing his face. He went inside and sat at a table. The night was young, and the nightclub was filled with young dancers living the life. During the daytime, these people would be college students and office workers just starting their careers, but when the sun went down, they could enjoy themselves in a way that made Julian jealous. He sometimes wished he could join them, but he had given that up when Eva became mayor of Bremerhaven. If anything, I’ll make sure they can continue enjoying themselves like this, even if I’ll never be like them.

Navid sat opposite him. He couldn’t stand out anymore than he tried, with his twitching hands, constant looking around, and too nice clothes. “Uh…hey.”

“Navid, you can do a better job of being discreet,” Julian said, “It’s a miracle nothing bad happened to you on the way here.”

“Yeah, uh, sorry Julian,” Navid said, “I’m not used to this spy business.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it,” Julian said, “But as a word of advice? Wear something like what I do. And most importantly, act like you belong.”

“Okay, uh, sure, got it.”

“Anyways, you got the goods?”

“Uh, yeah, here.” Navid handed over a small briefcase. “Man, if my roommate’s cousin hadn’t clerked for the Diwan of Mithra, I don’t know what we’d do.”

Julian opened the briefcase. Inside, he found several documents marked with government seals. One was a schedule of events for tomorrow. Another had a list of VIPs attending that event. Other documents listed locations and briefly summarized event discussion topics. And finally, there was an ID card.

“Everything you need, Julian,” Navid said, “I couldn’t get my hands on the Majlis archives, though. Voting records, donation disclosures, apprenticeships, session transcripts, the juicy stuff.”

“A shame,” Julian said, “I was hoping we could avoid all this and go straight to nailing Mozaffar to the wall. Oh, well. That’s what the rest of the briefcase’s for.”

“You sure about this, Julian? This is nothing compared to leaking all those documents to me and Noor or organizing those protests.”

“Navid, I was at Mosul when everything went down.” Julian moved his hand in a flood-like wave. “I can handle this.”

“Then let me help you,” Navid said.

Julian shook his head. “No, Navid. You’ve done enough for the cause. I’d hate to get you involved more than you have to.”

“But this is my country we’re talking about. I want to help uncover the truth, like Anders did.”

“You’re a civilian,” Julian said, “I don’t want to put you in more danger. It should be my burden and my burden alone.”

“Julian, you already put me, Noor, and half the campus in danger,” Navid said, “And we still helped you knowing the risks. We’ve done this because we believe in what you’re fighting for. Face it, this is much greater than you now. You already said it in your video. You’re the face of the movement, the vessel through which we make our voices known. You can’t do this alone.”

“And what makes you say that, Navid?”

“Without us, you wouldn’t have gotten this far.”

“I found the location of the imprisoned royals myself. I won Mosul myself. I started these protests on my command.”

“You wouldn’t have been able to act on any of that without us,” Navid said, “Who edited and broadcasted the tapes you got from Börte and the others? Who got you to Mosul? Who helped you probe the security at the hospital? And who actually protested? Why do you think you can only do this yourself?”

“Because I don’t want more people to get hurt because of me!” Julian raised his voice loud enough that people nearby were starting to stare. “When Eva was shot and put in the hospital, I was left in charge of Bremerhaven. The responsibility of defending a city against endless hordes of Crusaders was thrust upon me. Every single day, I looked over casualty rates, troop formations, and deployments. The lives of hundreds of men and women were in my hands. I decided who lived and who died by choosing who went to fight and where. For every Clara, Angelica, Anna, and Annie who made it out, there were eight more who didn’t, because I messed up. And then the whole city got nuked anyways.” He leaned across the table and pointed at his eyes. “Every night, when I go to sleep, I still see her eyes. The same color as the ones you see before you, piercing right into my soul, right before she pushes me into the bunker and closes the door. Eva’s dead because of me. I was supposed to defend the city for her, but I couldn’t even do that. Everybody died.” He lowered his voice. “Now I’m in Persia, doing the same thing, and I failed yet again. The Romans have been cast into the wilderness because Mozaffar acted faster than me. Everything I was supposed to protect and preserve was taken from me yet again. So I told myself, no more. I can’t involve more people than I need to in my plans. And when I do, I have to keep them away. If I have to step into the darkness to keep everyone else in the light, the best I can do is keep them out of the darkness, even if I have to use them as pawns.” He tapped the table, as if moving chess pieces. “You do know I’ve been using you and Noor and Angelica and everyone else, right?”

“That’s not true,” Navid said, “We knew exactly what you were doing and still chose to help, regardless of the consequences.”

“But I was willing to sacrifice you all if it meant advancing my plans,” Julian said, “Even now…”

“We understand how important the work is,” Navid said, “I know you have a greater plan that I’m not supposed to know. That’s fine. I shouldn’t know everything. If Mozaffar’s men capture me, you have to make sure I don’t blab everything to them. Same goes for Angelica. She was with the Athanatoi before, wasn’t she? So she knows better than anyone that controlling information is king. Listen, Julian. I can’t say I’m an expert on these things. I wasn’t at Bremerhaven, and I’ve been far more fortunate than you Romans. But believe me when I say we all genuinely want to help. It doesn’t matter that we’ve only known you for weeks. The world saw what happened to the Reich and could only watch in horror as Jerusalem destroyed everything Romans held dear. We see the same happening with our country today, but unlike then, we don’t have to watch. We can fight back and make sure it doesn’t happen here.”

“You don’t understand, Navid, tomorrow is going to be extremely dangerous!”

Navid nodded. “Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If we don’t take a stand, then who will? Isn’t that what happened in the Reich? Nobody cared to stand up until it was too late. So you would rather we follow your path into damnation?”

“That’s not what I’m saying, what I mean is that I don’t want to put you in any personal danger. Leave it to me, I’ve handled stuff like this!”

“And I’m telling you I can handle this too,” Navid said, “Me and Noor and the campus. Maybe we can handle it better than you, because we’ve lived here our whole lives. We know this country and how things work. Let us back you up, because we want to save our home. Together, we can overcome Mozaffar. Friedrich the Great didn’t work alone, remember?”

Julian laughed. “You make a big deal of Persians handling things better than me, a Roman, and then invoke our founding Kaiser?” A bit weird, isn’t it? Surely they have a better Persian figure.

“The Roman way isn’t limited to the Reich,” Navid said, “It’s something we can all strive for, regardless of nationality or ethnicity. It’s what Friedrich the Great would have wanted. So we’ll strive for it here, in Persia. Julian, let me help. Let us help. You’ll have a better chance of victory if you do.”

“You want to help, regardless of the danger?” Julian asked.

“Yes.”

“Despite knowing you could possibly be arrested or worse?”

“If Anders Humboldt could do it, so can I.”

“Guess I can’t convince you otherwise, then?”

“I’ve already made up my mind.”

Was he really that devoted? Was he really that suicidal? Julian wanted to keep him out of this. Tomorrow’s operation was going to be more dangerous than even Mosul was. One wrong move, and that would be it for him and the Romans. For better or worse, it was ending tomorrow. Either Julian or Mozaffar was going down. So he didn’t want to get more civilians involved. Navid was just supposed to be the guy he went to when he needed to broadcast something outside of the mainstream media networks. Nothing more, nothing less. But what he said did make sense. He hadn’t gotten here entirely on his own. He escaped Bremerhaven because of Angelica and Tania. He made it to Persia because of Billy and Ruby as well. He wasn’t the only person in the government of exile. Without Börte and Igre, the flood would have wiped out the Yavdians along with the Persians. How did he not realize it sooner?

I wanted to fight in the darkness on my own, but I didn’t realize others had followed me there for the same reason: to keep everybody else in the light. Perhaps this was what Eva realized too. She didn’t protect Bremerhaven on her own. So why am I trying to fight alone? You know how that ends. The old Reich may be gone, but Persia can still be saved. To do that, I will need the support of its people. They know this country best, so I shouldn’t dismiss their help. That’s the Roman way. That’s one way we’ll keep our dream alive, if not through the Reich.

Julian sighed. “Alright, fine. I’ll adjust my plans.”

“I won’t let you down, Julian!” Navid smiled and pumped his fists. “We’ll show you what true Persian patriotism looks like!”

“I’m sure looking forward to it,” Julian said, “Now let’s get started. I have a role for you…”

Elsewhere

Every time Julius made the trip up from the depths of Olympus Base to the autoritter hangars, he couldn’t help but marvel as to its sheer size. On October 21, 2000, the day the first astronauts landed on the Red Planet, it came into existence when those astronauts connected and activated several prefabricated habitats sent on earlier unmanned missions. Since then, Olympus Base had always had a human presence. In 2002, the first heavy machinery arrived on Mars, and Olympus Base extended underground into a nearby network of ancient lava tubes. In 2004, the original habitats were dismantled and replaced by the first of the habitat domes, delivered on UNAP’s first ARC ship. These domes would become ubiquitous across the planet, with the only settlements not having them being those that were built around landed ARC ships. The first civilian residents—consisting mainly of Austrian soldiers, engineers, physical laborers, researchers, and youths with few ties keeping them on Earth—arrived in 2006 after the UN granted the Reich sovereignty over the area. In 2008, Emperor Claudius established Olympus Province, consisting of the base and the surrounding Martian territory, and appointed the province’s first governor. Due to communications delay, it was impractical for Olympus to send a delegate to the Imperial Diet in Vienna, or even for the a delegate to electronically commute, so the province was granted significant autonomy. In 2010, Olympus Base held its first elections, and the main issue discussed by candidates that year was how to expand the base further underground to accommodate new immigrants arriving on the ARC ships regularly making trips between the two planets. In 2017, the base’s population reached one million.

And then Earth died the following year, and the trickle of new arrivals became a flood. The Reich made contingencies to only send the imperial family, the most important noble families, the Diet, and the military leadership on its last remaining ARC ship, Giselbert, but Eva had ordered the ship not to leave orbit until it was at full capacity. Initially built for 100,000 passengers and crew, with 80,000 of those supposed to be placed in cryogenic stasis, by the time Angelica and Julius took the last shuttle up to orbit it had been crammed with 150,000 souls. They landed at Olympus Base weeks later, and once all had disembarked, Giselbert was placed in geosynchronous orbit above Olympus and outfitted with leftover military hardware that hadn’t been taken down to the surface. Rechristened as the Gradivus, it was meant to protect Olympus Base against any attacks from orbit. But today, for the first time in 21 years, Gradivus left geosynchronous orbit and initiated a hard burn towards Beck’s longitude.

Olympus Base had also transformed over the past 21 years. The expansions of the subterranean tunnels became a necessity as the 150,000 evacuees of 2018 were followed up by another 100,000 imperial subjects who had made it to Mars on various smaller ships like freighters, luxury yachts, repurposed Moon shuttles, and even a few military frigates. And those were the lucky ones—five times that number was estimated to have perished in the dark void between the planets. But the new arrivals, equaling a quarter of the base’s pre-Rapture population, needed to live somewhere. And so the base dug deeper underground. Each cluster of tunnels grew larger and larger, their peoples banding together to form communities and then neighborhoods. By 2025, some semblance of an economy emerged in Olympus, and with it the old social classes of the Reich were reborn. At the very top, where solar radiation was strongest, the chances of habitat failure were highest, and enemy attacks would target first, the surface laborers and rank-and-file soldiers lived in the dome itself. The general population lived in the tunnel networks below the surface. Below them lived the old researchers and engineers, who had been there since the base’s earliest days and now wielded significant political power due to their knowledge of Olympus’ life support systems. Below them, the lowest and safest levels were reserved for the most important imperials—military leaders, the Diet, the chancellor and cabinet, and the nobility, but as the years went on those groups increasingly intermingled. By 2039, Julius could barely see any distinctions aside from their titles. And below them was the imperial palace compound, where Julius, Angelica, and his staff lived.

Today, none of that mattered. The entire base was united around a singular cause. The rivalries between the neighborhoods, the squabbling of the politicians in the Diet, and the grumblings of the researcher-engineer unions were all put on pause, just for this day. As Julius’ elevator ascended through Olympus’ levels, the usual sounds of people going about their lives were noticeably reduced. It was as if everybody was aware of the significance of what they were doing today, and they were all doing their part. The elevator dinged, and the doors slid open, revealing the expansive military hangar. In contrast to the subdued levels below, the hangar was full of noise and activity. Workers were always in a hurry, their hands completely filled with tools and materiel. Tank engines sputtered in the distance as their crews fired them up. Some pilots had already gotten into their autoritters, which now flexed their giant metallic limbs as the humans inside calibrated the control interfaces. Angelica had already fired up the Balmung and was doing some practice swings with her sword. There were no aircraft in this hangar—the atmosphere was too thin for them, and the only atmospheric spacecraft anybody used were shuttles to Gradivus and UNAP’s ARC ship, Fraternity. The bulk of the Reich’s military actions today would be confined to either the ground or orbit.

As soon as Julius stepped out of the elevator, it was as if a bomb went off. Everybody halted in their tracks, stopped everything they were doing, snapped to attention, and saluted. All of the commotion of two seconds ago disappeared, replaced by a single word. “MAJESTY!”

“At ease,” Julius said, “Please, resume your duties. They are more important to the Reich’s success than anything I may accomplish on my own. You have all lost much in service to the Reich. Given your all for our fair cause. I stand before you all as a fellow Terran, alive because of your dedication and loyalty both on the battlefield and in the workshops. A word cannot express my thanks in kind.”

He began walking across the hangar. “Today, we march into the jaws of fate. Our final enemy lies in wait at Beck. They will be expecting us, so we must be ready for them. And tomorrow, if we are all still here, my fondest dream is to walk among you once more, so I may give my thanks anew.”

He thrust a fist into the air. “Let not this grand dream of ours dissolve into despair! We will defeat UNAP! We will claim our birthright as rulers of Mars and turn it into a home for all Terrankind, free of the shackles of old Earth!” He swept his hand out at the crowd. “So Emperor Julius von Anniona commands you! Lend me your strength, lend me your imperial hearts, proudly beating with the iron blood of Mars!”

He stopped in front of the Sigurd. Having just received a new paint job and extensive repairs and replacements of its weapons, it looked almost brand new. Julius climbed up onto the Sigurd’s shoulder and turned back to the crowds assembled.

“Today, we forge a fate for all our civilization! One life can make its mark upon this world, but the lives of an entire nation working as one moves the wheels of history ever forward! Now be that life! Be among the millions of lives and push the wheel! Fight well! Fight brave! For blood and iron! For Anniona Universalis! For the dream of Mars and Terrankind forevermore!”

Everybody roared and thrust their fists up. “WANSUI! SIEG JULIUS! SIEG ANNIONA! BLOOD AND IRON! ANNIONA UNIVERSALIS! FOR MARS AND TERRANKIND FOREVERMORE!”

---

Julius’ speech was loosely based on an Elincia speech I initially intended for Wilhelmina and gave to him and someone else in TESB when I realized Wilhelmina was in no position to say it.

For the record, habitat domes are not made of glass or transparent, in case anyone’s wondering. For obvious reasons.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Neat to see another Annionaverse segment and both Julian and Julius in a position to act on their master plans, tho I’m a little conflicted with Julius since that attack on UNAP will end democracy on Mars.

Intresting description of Olympus base, but I wonder how these subterranean habitats will elolve into metropolises with skyscrapers Dragoon described later in Mars’ terraforming process, especially if the upper classes live underground?

Also since Dragoon clearly based the Annionas off the Targaryens, I was a little sad that the phrase “iron and blood“ got rendered as “blood and iron“ here, since the former sounds closer to the Targaryen motto of “Fire and Blood”, tho it’s not that big of a deal.

Nice conversation between Julian and Navid by the way, through I fear such a touching scene between them will unfornately set up death flags for Navid.

Btw, since I brought up a screenshot that showed Ali had a diplo stat of 18, I wonder what the rest of his stats were in game along with his traits, because that could shed some insight on what his relationship with Wihelmina was like and what role he played in her reign, since he was probably Wihelmina’s spymaster.

Last edited:
Neat to see another Annionaverse segment and both Julian and Julius in a position to act on their master plans, tho I’m a little conflicted with Julius since that attack on UNAP will end democracy on Mars.
Don’t forget Julian’s ultimate goal is to topple a popular and legally appointed political figure, thus going against the will of the people and the meritocratic process.
Intresting description of Olympus base, but I wonder how these subterranean habitats will elolve into metropolises with skyscrapers Dragoon described later in Mars’ terraforming process, especially if the upper classes live underground?
Mars’ atmosphere is currently so thin that all sorts of solar radiation makes it down to the surface. That means the deeper underground the habitat is, the better shielded a human body will be from that radiation, to say nothing of less opportunities for life support to fail. As such, the HRE settlements are organized according to a social hierarchy, with the most important upper classes at the bottom. Once the atmosphere is terraformed enough, it’ll be safe and practical for the HRE to build skyscrapers. Though they’ll mainly be populated by the lower classes until the stigma and “VIPs go deepest underground” mentality goes away.
Also since Dragoon clearly based the Annionas off the Targaryens, I was a little sad that the phrase “iron and blood“ got rendered as “blood and iron“ here, since the former sounds closer to the Targaryen motto of “Fire and Blood”, tho it’s not that big of a deal.
You could see it as the beginning of Julius and his people rewriting history to suit their new narrative.
Btw, since I brought up a screenshot that showed Ali had a diplo stat of 18, I wonder what the rest of his stats were in game along with his traits, because that could shed some insight on what his relationship with Wihelmina was like and what role he played in her reign, since he was probably Wihelmina’s spymaster.
I’ll check next time I go through the save file.

Reactions:
Julian's advice is pretty universal. Charisma, bluffing and acting like you know what you're doing and that you're where you're supposed to be can do wonders.

The save file shows attributes of 7-6-2-7-5, probably in the order of diplomacy-martial-stewardship-intrigue-learning, which doesn't match up with the only screenshot of his stats I have.

1695597171582.png

I suspect the attributes were enhanced (and in the case of learning, dropped) by his traits. There must have been something in between your screenshot and this one which dropped his diplomacy from 18 to 15. As for the covered stats, fortunately the tooltip is slightly transparent, so I can make out double digits in the intrigue stat. I'm thinking 14 diplomacy, but I can't be sure. However, using the base stats from the save file and the fact that I don't think he had any modifiers (though if there were any, they would have been removed on death, so I can't be sure about that either), we can try figuring out his actual stats from trait modifiers.

The traits from left to right are:

Elusive Shadow: +2 diplomacy/martial, -1 stewardship, +9 intrigue

Sayyid: no changes

Quick: +3 to all stats

Stong: +1 diplomacy, +2 martial

Humble: no changes

Ambitious: +2 to all stats

Honest: +3 diplomacy, -2 intrigue

Brave: +2 martial

Kind: +2 diplomacy, -2 intrigue

Infirm: -3 to all stats

Let's ignore Infirm and see what Ali's stats were at his peak. Adding up all these stat modifiers, we have +13 diplomacy, +11 martial, +4 stewardship, +10 intrigue, and +5 learning. Add that to 7-6-2-7-5 and we get 20-17-6-17-10. Even after applying Infirm, it doesn't match up with either screenshot, which means there were additional modifiers that were not recorded, or his base stats were adjusted through events between the two screenshots that I have no way of checking. In any case, let's just assume his intrigue is 17. Despite being an Elusive Shadow, his diplomacy is actually much higher because he's honest and kind, so he'd probably be a diplomat as well.
Julian's advice is pretty universal. Charisma, bluffing and acting like you know what you're doing and that you're where you're supposed to be can do wonders.
As they say, fake it until you make it. That does go a long way, in my experience.

Reactions: