The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, I finished adjustments to the Annionaverse map. Assuming I didn't miss anything else, this will probably be the final one.

world map template - annionaverse 2018.png

I was originally going to split up India even more because the text mentioned the government had turned inwards and abandoned the colonies, but I couldn't draw aesthetically pleasing borders, and Iran and Tibet are probably considered full provinces and not colonies anyways.

Reactions:
Okay, I finished adjustments to the Annionaverse map. Assuming I didn't miss anything else, this will probably be the final one.

I was originally going to split up India even more because the text mentioned the government had turned inwards and abandoned the colonies, but I couldn't draw aesthetically pleasing borders, and Iran and Tibet are probably considered full provinces and not colonies anyways.
Good job again, but I do have to wonder why Mali is still Communist after the HRE invasion during the Lindi war?

They voted communist again to spite the HRE? Indian Influence?
Fair enough, the HRE did kill 1/8th of the people there and 1/4th of Lindi's population in a genocidal imperialist war (I think the word "genocidal" is warranted here given these causality figures and the devastation of Lindi due to the HRE's hubris), there's bound to be some hatred there and any administrations the HRE sets up would be unpopular and the HRE might deem it too much trouble to be worth maintaining control and ultimately withdraw, hence Lindi collapsing after the war.

Good job again, but I do have to wonder why Mali is still Communist after the HRE invasion during the Lindi war?
Dragoon never went over what happened to Mali after the Lindi war, so I assumed it remained communist to the end.
They voted communist again to spite the HRE? Indian Influence?
Actually, that’s not a bad assumption. India has a huge presence in East Africa, and its allies and client states have a land border with Mali. Since India most certainly funded communist rebels in Lindi, it’s not a stretch to assume it could also prop up the Malian government.
Fair enough, the HRE did kill 1/8th of the people there and 1/4th of Lindi's population in a genocidal imperialist war (I think the word "genocidal" is warranted here given these causality figures and the devastation of Lindi due to the HRE's hubris), there's bound to be some hatred there and any administrations the HRE sets up would be unpopular and the HRE might deem it too much trouble to be worth maintaining control and ultimately withdraw, hence Lindi collapsing after the war.
The HRE probably just gave up entirely when it became clear no body count would be enough to force Mali and Lindi’s submission. For what it’s worth, Lindi’s successor states still seem to be part of the HRE as dominions or a local equivalent, so that balkanization probably was enough to restore some peace to the region. As for Mali, even though it lost its capital and saw much of its territory occupied, its government probably remained intact and outlasted the imperial occupation thanks to Indian support. It doesn’t hurt that the invading HRE—a capitalist Catholic monarchy—made the perfect scapegoat to rally the people behind the communist regime.

Reactions:
Closing Moves, Part 1

The Eastern Caucasus - June 29

“Come on, we don’t have all day!” Gebhard barked at the soldiers going through their final equipment checks and drills. “Put your backs into it! There’s no room for failure!”

The camp was much smaller today, yet Gebhard saw twice as much activity. They had left the civilians behind to the southwest, for their own safety. Everybody here was everybody they needed for tomorrow’s operation. Except for the small task force Thea requested, but we can work with one fewer helicopter.

“Hey, Gebhard.” Shayan waved from a nearby tent. “We’re just about ready to start the meeting. The others are here.”

“Got it, Shayan,” Gebhard said, “I’ll be right there.”

He walked over to Shayan.

“You know, you’re going a bit too hard on them,” Shayan said.

“We need to maintain discipline, in the absence of everything else,” Gebhard said, “Everything’s riding on tomorrow.”

“If you stress everyone out, they’ll fall apart. Take it from me.”

They took their seats at the table with the rest of the governing council.

“This meeting is now called to order,” Izinchi said, “Let’s get right to it. Shayan, I’d like you to reiterate to us our strategy.”

“Of course, Ms. Ochimeca,” Shayan laid out a map of Baku on the table. “As you can see, Baku lies on the Absheron Peninsula, which sticks out eastward into the Caspian Sea. In the last century, this area produced nearly a third of the Reich’s oil. By the 1970s, though, most of those oil fields had been fully depleted, and production shifted to Arabia, leading to significant labor unrest there. But Baku still produces oil. Just twenty years ago, a new oil field was discovered in the Caspian, revitalizing Baku’s oil industry. As a result, the majority of currently operating refineries in Baku are based in the eastern parts of the city, near the Caspian shoreline. Our objective is to secure those refineries with minimal damage to the infrastructure.”

“However, due to their location on the Absheron Peninsula, that necessarily means we will be going through the city itself before reaching them,” Börte said, “The enemy is aware of this. The peninsula is narrow, making for a good chokepoint. Baku’s Crusader garrison may be small and isolated, but the geography will prevent us from taking advantage of it. Which is why we will not be attacking the Crusaders head-on. General Remmele?”

“My forces will attack the enemy’s defensive line and create a diversion,” Gebhard said, “We will lure the Crusaders out to the west, where the geography favors us more and the Yavdians can reinforce us. Simultaneously, the Persians will attack from the Caspian Sea onto the eastern edge of the Absheron Peninsula.”

“I’ll take the special forces units from all three armies and have them secure the refineries, then push west to hit the garrison from behind,” Shayan said, “We will turn the geography against them.”

“If we move according to Thea’s plan, all should fall into place,” Gebhard said.

“Thea’s plan, you say?” Igre narrowed her eyes. “Are you sure we can trust a civilian?”

“According to the recon teams, everything checks out, Lieutenant Gurkani,” Börte said, “I was just as surprised as you were when they got back to me. But their findings match Thea’s description. I don’t know how she got ahold of all that intel, seeing as she’s confined to a hospital bed, but it’s accurate.”

“I see no reason to doubt it,” Shayan said, “And I saw crazier stuff on April 2.”

“We just have to keep doing as we always do,” Gebhard said, “It’s how we got this far, haven’t we?”

Börte nodded. “Yes, I agree. This is no different from Taurica. We’ll get through this.”

---

“Are you sure this is going to work?” Billy looked at the metal frame and steel cables that reached along the length of his arms. He stretched, feeling the heavy exosuit pull back against him. Then he tried throwing a punch. A light whirring and clicking came from the main power unit on his back, and suddenly the exosuit moved with his fist, adding extra momentum to his punch. The extra force nearly threw him off balance, but he caught himself in time.

From a nearby hospital bed, Thea nodded. “Don’t worry. You’ll get used to it. Right, August?”

August rolled his eyes. “Thea, I'm a doctor, not a military technician. I get you can’t do it yourself, but why make me do it?”

“I needed someone with a steady and precise hand.”

“But I’m not a surgeon.”

“Close enough.”

“So, can I get one too?” Ruby asked.

“Sorry, but I need to keep the other one with me,” Thea said, “I’ve got a great idea for it, and I need August’s help on it.”

“An idea that is, frankly, extremely dangerous,” August said, “Why must you always disregard everything I tell you?”

“Anyways, Billy, I’d appreciate it if you could get me some good combat data tomorrow during the special ops,” Thea said, “It’ll go a long way towards helping my own project.”

“And what is this project?” Billy asked.

“Oh, you’ll see when I get there,” Thea said, “Oh boy, Alexandra and Magnus are going to be so surprised when they get back…”

Outside Frankfurt

“Target sighted.” The building in front of the rebel Binar Qazai looked nothing out of the ordinary. If not for the patrols of Hellhound drones roving around the entrances and the constantly buzzing aerial drones circling overhead, she would have thought this was just another office building. But according to the tyrant general, this was where the Panopticon servers were hosted. Out of the corner of her eye, she glanced at Commander Ludolf and Sergeant Moritz. She was sure they were watching her back.

“Are we positive this is it?” Ludolf said. “I do not want to waste ammunition on the wrong target.”

“Yes, we shouldn’t,” Moritz said, “You can’t trust anything a heathen says.”

“Excuse me?” Binar said.

“Enough, Sergeant Moritz,” Ludolf said, “We are under a truce right now.”

Moritz crossed his arms. “Commander, with all due respect, you know the instant the truce ends, they will stab us in the back, right? Like they’ve always done, time and again, in Friedrich’s time, in Saint Wilhelmina’s time, in the Anarchy, in the Great War…”

“Moritz, you are out of line!” Ludolf raised his voice. “I apologize, Ms. Qazai.”

Binar continued looking at the compound. “Save your breath for something you truly mean, shaytan. Let’s focus on the mission. It seems the majority of security here are drones.”

“I see no human guards,” Ludolf said, “Do you, Moritz?”

“No, I do not,” Moritz said, “If there are, then they make up a minority.”

“Then that could be our way in,” Binar said, “Do you have any way of hacking those things?”

“Normally, Hellhounds and other Crusader drones would be configured for autonomous operation,” Ludolf said, “But if we had a scenario that required direct control of a drone, we can connect our Panopticons to them.”

“Good, then do that.”

“I can’t right now,” Ludolf said, “General Dandolo disabled the option when he took our P’s offline.”

“Then call him up and have him do it.”

“Why should we take orders from you?” Moritz said.

“Thought you guys wanted your Panopticons back,” Binar said, “It only benefits you.”

Why am I even suggesting this? I can’t give them this much firepower. Binar thought about the other rebels in her group. I know what those Hellhounds are capable of. She recalled a hundred incidents, a hundred deaths over the last two years as the Crusaders hunted down her comrades, the last of the previous wave of insurgencies that had very nearly freed the western provinces from Jerusalem. Oh, who am I kidding, we were nowhere close to doing that. The French kept killing each other, the Basques cared only about themselves, the Andalusians were too far away, and the Hibernians were stuck on their island. By the end of the crackdowns, Berlin had replaced the human Crusaders pursuing them with drones. And this was before the war started moving men to the east. They thought us worthless enough to not even waste Crusaders on. Not human enough. She remembered the screams of her colleagues, the cracking of bones, and the whirring of sawblades. So why am I now helping Crusaders get more of those damned drones?

“She’s right, Moritz,” Ludolf said, “We can use the drones against Moria.”

“But it could be a trick!” Moritz said. “You know as well as I do that’s what they do!”

Ludolf lost his patience. “If it is a trick, then explain to me, right now, how this benefits them instead of us!”

“I…” Moritz’s face remained angry, but his mouth couldn’t find anything to say. “Uh…you see…if you look at it this way…”

“That settles it. I’m calling the general.”

Ulm

“And you’re sure?” Heinrich said.

“Positive, sir,” Ludolf said, “By taking control of the enemy’s drones, I believe we can not only minimize casualties but add valuable assets to our forces.”

“Yet you would be bringing your Panopticons back online,” Heinrich said, “I disabled every Panopticon under my control for a reason.”

“I knew there was a risk,” Moritz said.

“Did you say something, Sergeant Moritz?” Heinrich said.

Moritz snapped to attention. “Uh, no sir!”

“Good.” Heinrich turned to Frederica. “What do you think, Frederica?”

“I think we should go for it,” Frederica said, “We need more firepower to take on Moria. And after we secure the servers, we won’t have to worry about Panopticons being at risk anymore. We can safely commandeer more drones.”

“Sir?” Ludolf said. “We’re not going to get a better chance.”

“How is the security of our network?” Heinrich asked. “I need to be sure we are in the clear.”

“As long as we maintain separation from the main network, we should be fine,” a technician said, “Though we need to be careful with the configuration of the drone connections.”

Heinrich nodded. “As to be expected. I will review the configuration myself.”

“So we are a go?” Ludolf said.

“Yes,” Heinrich said, “But hold off and scout the area today. We will send you the proper configuration tomorrow. Do not engage before then.”

“Understood, sir.”

“That will be all. Thank you, Commander Ludolf. Dismissed.”

Ludolf hung up.

“Well, let’s get to it, then,” Heinrich said, “Get me that configuration by 1700 hours.”

“Yes, sir.” The technician saluted and left.

“I sure hope this works,” Frederica said.

“Me too,” Heinrich said.

---

The name Binar Qazai was initially supposed to be used for a new character in Samir’s circle, as someone rescued from one of Jerusalem’s concentration camps, but that role went to Igre, so I reused the name here.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah giving the Crusaders access to hellhounds is not really a good idea considering that some of them like Moritz still hold onto their christofascist ideology, but it's not like they have any other choice at this point. Everybody is desperate in this update.
The name Binar Qazai was initially supposed to be used for a new character in Samir’s circle, as someone rescued from one of Jerusalem’s concentration camps, but that role went to Igre, so I reused the name here.
I see. Given her name and her use of "shaytan" I take it she's Muslim.

Yeah giving the Crusaders access to hellhounds is not really a good idea considering that some of them like Moritz still hold onto their christofascist ideology, but it's not like they have any other choice at this point. Everybody is desperate in this update.

I see. Given her name and her use of "shaytan" I take it she's Muslim.
Beggars can’t be choosers at this point.

And yes, she’s Muslim.

And after all that work to stop the Panopticon.

Heavy risks indeed but they are stuck between letting Moria's faction get their hands on it anyway. Definitely seeing the cracks in Heinreich' forces though, only a matter of time before some overzealous idiot tries to make a fool of themselves and shatter whatever unity that is still being duck taped. By the way, love the maps you posted Zen, especially Qiandao, as someone who lives in OTL Philippines and having spotted some Qiandao ships during the battle of Hawaii, I reckon in this TL, the country still specializes on sending out seamen after they are trained. Probably enough for the archipelago nation to start constructing a small navy that would eventually be bolstered once the Sri Vijayan union is created. Just fun little tidbits here, I'd go and make a whole history of the country using my own from when Vietnam colonized them to present day but between college, having to deal with a major writer's block in finishing my ASOIAF stuff, I'd just leave it all to the imagination.

Reactions:
Heavy risks indeed but they are stuck between letting Moria's faction get their hands on it anyway. Definitely seeing the cracks in Heinreich' forces though, only a matter of time before some overzealous idiot tries to make a fool of themselves and shatter whatever unity that is still being duck taped. By the way, love the maps you posted Zen, especially Qiandao, as someone who lives in OTL Philippines and having spotted some Qiandao ships during the battle of Hawaii, I reckon in this TL, the country still specializes on sending out seamen after they are trained. Probably enough for the archipelago nation to start constructing a small navy that would eventually be bolstered once the Sri Vijayan union is created. Just fun little tidbits here, I'd go and make a whole history of the country using my own from when Vietnam colonized them to present day but between college, having to deal with a major writer's block in finishing my ASOIAF stuff, I'd just leave it all to the imagination.
Who knows m8. Who knows...

I was planning on elaborating on them a bit in Definitive Edition. It would explain that the four kingdoms got their start as smaller Sinicized/Vietnamized kingdoms that received military support from their dynastic backers to eliminate their rivals and control more islands. And then I've got nothing until the decolonization era, where the four kingdoms are granted their independence as a single confederation, much like how Malaysia is made up of constituent sultanates and its head of state rotates between the sultans. I'd definitely love to hear what your own ideas are like, because they could help make Qiandao's history more interesting than what I've got.

And yes, due to the history of the four kingdoms and their wars between islands requiring lots of ships, Qiandao is still a substantial naval power.

Reactions:
I was planning on elaborating on them a bit in Definitive Edition. It would explain that the four kingdoms got their start as smaller Sinicized/Vietnamized kingdoms that received military support from their dynastic backers to eliminate their rivals and control more islands. And then I've got nothing until the decolonization era, where the four kingdoms are granted their independence as a single confederation, much like how Malaysia is made up of constituent sultanates and its head of state rotates between the sultans. I'd definitely love to hear what your own ideas are like, because they could help make Qiandao's history more interesting than what I've got.

And yes, due to the history of the four kingdoms and their wars between islands requiring lots of ships, Qiandao is still a substantial naval power.
Hmm, considering that two of the four kingdoms were backed by Vietnam and thus would've been Roman allies as well given the Tran alliance with the Reich, I could see Qiandao being split between Roman and Chinese camps, with the Russians trying to get in on the power struggle between the kingdoms as well, so it would be a simlar situation to the rest of Southeast Asia.

Hmm, considering that two of the four kingdoms were backed by Vietnam and thus would've been Roman allies as well given the Tran alliance with the Reich, I could see Qiandao being split between Roman and Chinese camps, with the Russians trying to get in on the power struggle between the kingdoms as well, so it would be a simlar situation to the rest of Southeast Asia.
I guess it would sort of be like Nusantara then.

Reactions:
The kids then turned their attention to Leyla. “Hey, who are you, soldier lady?”

“Leyla Mala, Turkish Army.” Leyla gingerly moved a hand in a small approximation of a wave. “Nice to meet you.”

“Are you Gulichi’s girlfriend?”

“WHAT?!” Leyla’s face reddened. “WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FROM?!”
In the future the world will need child like innocence if it is to heal from this war.

Okay, so I was stressed out today for various reasons, and somehow my idea of relaxing was to make an entire world map of the Annionaverse in 2018.
In a way I am the same in were I love learning about history.

I'm not going to color it in, I couldn't identify a few areas due to lack of information
That's fine. Like you said in future posts it keeps some of that Annionaverse charm.

I’ll definitely think of a future Earth map, but that will be posted around Stellaris. Not sure about Venus though.
Understandable. In the past I think I have tried to look up maps of what Venus would look like terraformed but I saw that there would appear to be more island's and not that many large land masses.

spread of Fusang Christianity during Empress Catherine's reign
Was Catherine one of the Empresses of the Jin before the Mingzhi Restoration?

Manila/Maynila doesn't come from Spanish, but I decided to replace it with the Chinese name Mayi, which is attested to in historical Chinese sources, although it's not clear if it refers to one island, the city of Manila, or to all South Sea islands in general. I added some Vietnamese cities to reflect the Vietnamese colonization, though their locations might not directly match up with what they got in the game. While working on this, I managed to flesh out the organization of Qiandao a bit more. It's a confederation of four kingdoms that had previously been Chinese or Vietnamese tributaries. The kingdoms are Sanzhou (Palawan), Lüsong (Luzon), Nguoi Ho (Visayas), and Van Do Lang (Mindanao). The first two are names from historical sources that were used by the colonizers to centralize authority in a single allied polity per island region, the third is a Vietnamese name I made up based on one etymology of Cebu, and the last is a Vietnamized name of a Chinese name for a historical state in Mindanao.
Speaking of all of these Chinese/Vietnamese influenced states in South East Asia I was wondering if something like the Kongsi republic's of Indonesia still happened in TTL?

It does feel like a bit of the Annionaverse's charm that the world in 2018 still clearly shows traces of where it started the 8th century, whether it be in the countries that exist (Alania), the borders (Lithuania), the ruling dynasties (Umayyads), the Annionas' names ("Gotzelo"), and the cultures that have remained in stasis since then (Visigoths and Saxons). In a way, all this, together with the vastly different worldview and themes that the Annionas embodied throughout their journey, make for a good contrast with the Hohenzollernverse.
Fair. It also gives a nice contrast between your and Dragoon's writing styles.

Understandable. In the past I think I have tried to look up maps of what Venus would look like terraformed but I saw that there would appear to be more island's and not that many large land masses.
I saw that too, including this map I found online. I'm interested in what settlements would be established on Venus, but I guess we have to wait until Stellaris for that.
1694642850035.png

Zen mentioned her as a Christian empress converted by Japanese missionaries that helped spread Christianity in the Eimericas, tho I don't think she was the last empress of an independent Fusang.

In the future the world will need child like innocence if it is to heal from this war.
Unfortunately, that sort of innocence is almost completely dead now.
In a way I am the same in were I love learning about history.
Indeed.
That's fine. Like you said in future posts it keeps some of that Annionaverse charm.
In the end, it's still Dragoon's work. I don't want to go too far and risk Dragoon considering my interpretation of the Annionaverse noncanon.
I saw that too, including this map I found online. I'm interested in what settlements would be established on Venus, but I guess we have to wait until Stellaris for that.
I found a couple terraformed Venus maps before, but I don't have plans for making actual maps for a while now. I probably won't even terraform Venus in the Hohenzollernverse. It doesn't have the same appeal as terraforming Mars.
Zen mentioned her as a Christian empress converted by Japanese missionaries that helped spread Christianity in the Eimericas, tho I don't think she was the last empress of an independent Fusang.
She was mentioned in Chapter 107. I looked through both the thread and my screenshots to see if I recorded anything else about her, because I swear I at least got her stats screenshotted, but it seems I had completely ignored her during the gameplay session. I think I was intentionally trying to decanonize her because at the time I didn't have a good reason for why a Chinese dynasty in the New World suddenly had an empress named "Catherine." She's still in the save file though. It gave me a scare for a couple minutes when I searched for "Catherine" and got nothing, leading me to fear I had even edited her name in the save to complete the retcon (like I did for several other rulers), but it turns out her name was rendered as "Caterine" without an H. Her stats are 3/3/4. She was born in 1616 and ascended to the throne at the age of 4, when her father passed away after the Jin Dynasty lost a war in which the Mexica conquered all the way up to Jinshan (hence why I said the father committed suicide, but I'll probably change it to "died of shock/disease" or something). For the next few decades of her reign, Catherine pushed the Mexica away from Fusang and embarked on a lengthy campaign of imperial expansion. There's a lot of room to fit Christian patronage in there somewhere. Perhaps she was brought up as Christian by a family member or regent. She reigned until her death in 1675, upon which her son (a godly 6/6/6) continued her conquests. He's in the 1700 world update, or somewhere around there.

Also, while I was searching the thread, I found a screenshot with Shabanu Furuzan's stats from the year 1600:

1694640423769.png

Sounds about right after what I did for her in the story. She's terrifying.

And a little bit after that, I also found this guy in 1695, probably named by the equivalent event for males (which I remember renaming one of the options to Friedrich):

1694643185800.png

He's 6/1/0 and reigned until his death in 1746.

And there was another ruler named Friedrich around the same time, the ruler of the Ghaznavids (6/3/4, b.1657-1689). Looking closer in the save, it seems the Ghaznavids, judging from their ruler names, had become increasingly Indianized by the late 17th century.
Speaking of all of these Chinese/Vietnamese influenced states in South East Asia I was wondering if something like the Kongsi republic's of Indonesia still happened in TTL?
Probably, yes. Haven't thought much about them right now, but an increased Chinese, Vietnamese, and Penglai commercial presence in Southeast Asia would probably create more of them and grant them more power and influence.

Fun fact, Penglai in EU4 used the LFA tag that was originally for Lanfang (a kongsi republic).
Fair. It also gives a nice contrast between your and Dragoon's writing styles.
Yes, I don't want to impose too much on Dragoon's side of things.

Reactions:
Probably, yes. Haven't thought much about them right now, but an increased Chinese, Vietnamese, and Penglai commercial presence in Southeast Asia would probably create more of them and grant them more power and influence.

Fun fact, Penglai in EU4 used the LFA tag that was originally for Lanfang (a kongsi republic).
Hmm, I wonder if their idea of democracy would have any influence on the development of Ryukyu democracy or the Fuxingyundong movement? I could see them being strongholds for the Chinese unification movement in the Pacific, and perhaps a few of them could've had alliances and trade relations with Ryukyu, leading to Ryukyuan democracy. Also since China still had a very powerful monarch after unification, I could see Ryuku going further with constitutionalism and legal limits on the monarchs power than China did, something that would make Ryuku attractive to democratic activists in China.

Out of curiosity, since you looked through the EU4 save file for Catherine's stats and reign, I wonder how old Julie d'Aubigny would be when she first showed up in 1680, seeing as she would be seven years at that time according to OTL.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder if their idea of democracy would have any influence on the development of Ryukyu democracy or the Fuxingyundong movement? I could see them being strongholds for the Chinese unification movement in the Pacific, and perhaps a few of them could've had alliances and trade relations with Ryukyu, leading to Ryukyuan democracy. Also since China still had a very powerful monarch after unification, I could see Ryuku going further with constitutionalism and legal limits on the monarchs power than China did, something that would make Ryuku attractive to democratic activists in China.
Ryukyu was the only country to take the "formalize separation of powers" decision in the game, so I think constitutional limits on the monarchy's power are already a thing. I can see the kongsi republics and Ryukyu being the precursors and inspirations to the later Fuxingyundong and other Chinese democratic movements.
Out of curiosity, since you looked through the EU4 save file for Catherine's stats and reign, I wonder how old she would be when she first showed up in 1680, seeing as she would be seven years at that time according to OTL.
Catherine was born in 1616 and died in 1675. Her reign began in 1620.