The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The biggest strength of a democracy, and Roman meritocracy as well, is that it’s beholden to the people. Yet that can also be its biggest weakness.
I'm actually now wondering if Orhan's state would be a meritocracy or a democracy? I think it would be a representative democracy with protections and representation for both Sunnis and Shias, in order to distance itself from the old Roman regime and Persia which just became a tyranny of the majority. Either way, they need to work on a constitution, as I've seen this video about the problems Israel has without a full constitution and formal separation of powers.

Last edited:
I'm actually now wondering if Orhan's state would be a meritocracy or a democracy? I think it would be a representative democracy with , in order to distance itself from the old Roman regime and Persia which just became a tyranny of the majority. Either way, they need to work on a constitution, as I've seen this video about the problems Isreal has without a full constitution and formal separation of powers.
I don’t think Orhan has reached the point where he can start building a government yet. He’s still focused on establishing his authority, hence why the cabinet treats him as a figurehead.

Don't forget that Theodor had most of those Jews killed in transit as a way to save money. They were the lucky ones. The survivors would have been shoved into extremely tiny enclaves in Palestine, forced to work in harsh conditions, and played off against locals (who would have their land taken away to make the Imperial Homelands, with the blame pinned on the Jews) to keep them divided. I imagine when Jerusalem's control over Imperial Homeland Judea collapses, all that pent-up rage will be unleashed on the tired and outnumbered Jews, who would make the perfect targets.
You make a good point about how the Committee would want to play the locals off each other and the people stuck in the Imperial Homelands and the Special Districts in order to keep the lower classes too divided, complacent, and angry at each other to focus on the Committee, but wouldn't those who had their land taken away to create the Imperial Homelands Judea and Arabia be Jewish themselves, at least according to the in game demographic maps?
I realized I didn’t give his group a name earlier today. It was a conscious decision to not give a name at first, since it was just an anti-Mozaffar protest movement. But I realized today that a name would have helped me a lot and could be referenced in future events. I still don’t have a good name yet, but I’m partial towards Julian adopting the “Liberation Legion” name since Samir’s unit really isn’t using it lately.
I tried to work the Fatimids and Abbasids into this chapter, but I couldn't get it to work in the end. Especially since I want to retcon out the whole deal with the Yazidi and Hurufi caliphs.
My original idea was to have the two caliphs jointly ruling in Tabriz, but I then realized I had three caliph dynasties and couldn't reconcile the Ottomans and Abbasids claiming the same title.

Shias would probably be concerned that Orhan is the Sunni caliph. They'll have to work something out. They wouldn't be in this situation if I had gone with the original idea of Sunni/Shia co-caliphs.
That is a shame, but this is what retcons here and rewrites in DE are for. As I've said, the three Caliphs thing probably won't work out, so it's best safe to stick to two Caliphs, with the Abbasids passing their title onto the Ottomans like OTL for whatever reason, like an Ottoman marrying an Abbasid for example.

Last edited:
You make a good point about how the Committee would want to play the locals off each other and the people stuck in the Imperial Homelands and the Special Districts in order to keep the lower classes too divided, complacent, and angry at each other to focus on the Committee, but wouldn't those who had their land taken away to create the Imperial Homelands Judea and Arabia be Jewish themselves, at least according to the in game demographic maps?
The game demographic maps are more abstractions that originated from me playing CK2 in an incredibly gamey way. Jews might be the largest group in Palestine and Arabia right now, but there would still be many Christians and a few Muslims left. And since Jerusalem deported them all into the imperial homelands or killed them, that would probably mean a vast majority of the region had been completely depopulated even before all this happened. Those who remain would all be victims in some way, regardless of religion or culture. Christians would be targeted by Jews and Muslims due to being favored by Jerusalem, Jerusalem would continue persecuting the remaining Jews and Muslims, anti-Semitism encouraged by the regime would remain rooted in Christians and Muslims, and Jews would be targeted as the easiest scapegoats. Jerusalem has torn apart centuries of trust and goodwill between these groups, and that won't heal easily.
That is a shame, but this is what retcons here and rewrites in DE are for. As I've said, the three Caliphs thing probably won't work out, so it's best safe to stick to two Caliphs, with the Abbasids passing their title onto the Ottomans like OTL for whatever reason, like an Ottoman marrying an Abbasid for example.
Sure, I guess that will work.

Reactions:
The game demographic maps are more abstractions that originated from me playing CK2 in an incredibly gamey way. Jews might be the largest group in Palestine and Arabia right now, but there would still be many Christians and a few Muslims left. And since Jerusalem deported them all into the imperial homelands or killed them, that would probably mean a vast majority of the region had been completely depopulated even before all this happened. Those who remain would all be victims in some way, regardless of religion or culture. Christians would be targeted by Jews and Muslims due to being favored by Jerusalem, Jerusalem would continue persecuting the remaining Jews and Muslims, anti-Semitism encouraged by the regime would remain rooted in Christians and Muslims, and Jews would be targeted as the easiest scapegoats. Jerusalem has torn apart centuries of trust and goodwill between these groups, and that won't heal easily.
Very unfortunate indeed. In Africa I imagine there are lots of Roman Jews (from either the Middle East or Iberia) and Muslims (mainly Berber Muslims) that avoided being killed or enslaved by Jerusalem by fleeing towards Abyssina and Mali, but there's no way they would want to go back to the Reich after this, assuming the anti Roman xenophobia coming out of Persia doesn't affect Abyssinia, Mali and the rest of the African Commonwealth as well considering the atrocities Jerusalem has inflicted on Africans, especially in North Africa and Imperial Homeland Africa.

Very unfortunate indeed. In Africa I imagine there are lots of Roman Jews (from either the Middle East or Iberia) and Muslims (mainly Berber Muslims) that avoided being killed or enslaved by Jerusalem by fleeing towards Abyssina and Mali, but there's no way they would want to go back to the Reich after this, assuming the anti Roman xenophobia coming out of Persia doesn't affect Abyssinia, Mali and the rest of the African Commonwealth as well considering the atrocities Jerusalem has inflicted on Africans, especially in North Africa and Imperial Homeland Africa.
Since Jerusalem's tyranny doesn't discriminate against anybody, it's safe to say that anti-Roman xenophobia will be popular everywhere.

Reactions:
Since Jerusalem's tyranny doesn't discriminate against anybody, it's safe to say that anti-Roman xenophobia will be popular everywhere.
True, I can see Biekle painting Borte helping the Roman refugees establishing themselves in Astrakhan as Borte selling Yavidian land to Jerusalem and use it to rally the rest of Yavidi towards conquering Astrakhan and exterminating the Romans, making him a major antagonist for this arc after the loyalists arrive in Astrakhan.

Last edited:
True, I can see Biekle painting Borte helping the Roman refugees establishing themselves in Astrakhan as Borte selling Yavidian land to Jerusalem and use it to rally the rest of Yavidi towards conquering Astrakhan and exterminating the Romans, making him a major antagonist for this arc after the loyalists arrive in Astrakhan.
Yeah, I can see him doing that.

The game demographic maps are more abstractions that originated from me playing CK2 in an incredibly gamey way. Jews might be the largest group in Palestine and Arabia right now, but there would still be many Christians and a few Muslims left. And since Jerusalem deported them all into the imperial homelands or killed them, that would probably mean a vast majority of the region had been completely depopulated even before all this happened. Those who remain would all be victims in some way, regardless of religion or culture.
Apparently I looked into your game files, and Caanan (Palestine) was Orthodox right after it converted from Islam, and it never converted to Judaism in game, ever.

Though, Jews are the largest group in Arabia at large!

Good to now Osman's line continued to make it to the modern day amidst all the chaos, though I take it the Abbasids, the Fatimids and the Hashimids are all gone I suppose? If so, that would suck, the Prophet's family and his line all gone due to Jerusalem's ministrations. Anti-Roman sentiment certainly is the word for the day, and I think the Reich is gone for good. Hopefully the government in exile can try and build something out of the ashes, but as it stands, I reckon the Reich that Fredreich the Great built's gone as they way of the dodo.

Oh yeah, speaking of the Dodo, I take it this bird's extinct here too? I never managed to spot it in any of the cultural updates you made during the Vicky 2 section, or I may have forgotten.

Apparently I looked into your game files, and Caanan (Palestine) was Orthodox right after it converted from Islam, and it never converted to Judaism in game, ever.
I’ve checked the maps and from what I see Palestine is Jewish religiously. I do see some Germans on the coast for the CK2 cultural map, but they aren't present in the NWO map and Syria there is mostly Greek instead of German like in older demographic maps. I’d take those maps with a grain of salt tho, as Zen himself said they are more abstractions and not fully canon.

Last edited:

Though, Jews are the largest group in Arabia at large!
I’ve checked the maps and from what I see Palestine is Jewish religiously. I do see some Germans on the coast for the CK2 cultural map, but they aren't present in the NWO map and Syria there is mostly Greek instead of German like in older demographic maps. I’d take those maps with a grain of salt tho, as Zen himself said they are more abstractions and not fully canon.
Yes. I’m done compromising the quality of my story to explain the ridiculous things I did in the games.
Good to now Osman's line continued to make it to the modern day amidst all the chaos, though I take it the Abbasids, the Fatimids and the Hashimids are all gone I suppose? If so, that would suck, the Prophet's family and his line all gone due to Jerusalem's ministrations. Anti-Roman sentiment certainly is the word for the day, and I think the Reich is gone for good. Hopefully the government in exile can try and build something out of the ashes, but as it stands, I reckon the Reich that Fredreich the Great built's gone as they way of the dodo.
The Abbasids and Fatimids at least were supposed to be in this chapter, so they’d still be around. The Hashimids probably as well, but I didn’t think of them at all.
Oh yeah, speaking of the Dodo, I take it this bird's extinct here too? I never managed to spot it in any of the cultural updates you made during the Vicky 2 section, or I may have forgotten.
If I didn’t mention it at all, it’s probably still around.

Noice! So are we gonna see Heinrich riding around a dodo bird as he fights against the forces of, Moria, who he claimed is "a servant of Satan"?
Probably not, tho that’s a funny visual.

The presence of neo Equalists in Sirvijava makes me wonder how many people would lose their faith in liberal democracy and meritocracy at this point, given everything Persia has done, Jerusalem and Han’s regime coming out of liberal states, and most governments being destroyed (as you can’t really have democracy or meritocracy in a country where most of the population is either starving, dying or a plague or actively being genocided by a foreign army). I have a feeling both democracy and meritocracy could end up like liberal democracy and communism in Kaisereich, as discredited ideas that are forgotten as most peope just struggle surviving the post acoplaspe.

Also I think it’s unfortunate that as anti Roman sentiment is increasing around the world, global opinion of Han is also increasing despite him being just as totalitarian as Jerusalem, which could further fuel to the backlash to liberal democracy and meritocracy I mentioned before as Han spreads his authoritarian ideals to the surviving nations that aren’t opposed to him and discredit nations opposed to him like Ryuku. Then again, because of China’s military defeats at the hands of Ryuku, there’s a chance China can become an isolated pariah state hated by the world like North Korea.

Last edited:
Noice! So are we gonna see Heinrich riding around a dodo bird as he fights against the forces of, Moria, who he claimed is "a servant of Satan"?
No.
The presence of neo Equalists in Sirvijava makes me wonder how many people would lose their faith in liberal democracy and meritocracy at this point, given everything Persia has done, Jerusalem and Han’s regime coming out of liberal states, and most governments being destroyed (as you can’t really have democracy or meritocracy in a country where most of the population is either starving, dying or a plague or actively being genocided by a foreign army). I have a feeling both democracy and meritocracy could end up like liberal democracy and communism in Kaisereich, as discredited ideas that are forgotten as most peope just struggle surviving the post acoplaspe.
At this point, there is only one functioning democracy and one functioning meritocracy left, and the latter is giving in to nationalist authoritarianism of its own free will. There'd be millions who'd be disillusioned by democracy and meritocracy, either by being victims of China and Jerusalem or part of those nations and being convinced they are bad (whether as more victims or as regime supporters). And so far China hasn't been hurt too badly by the war, so assuming that's maintained it's in a good position to export its dictatorial system once it ends. But there'd still be supporters of meritocracy and democracy as the Roman loyalists show. And probably any Eimerican survivors, since consensus democracy is a centuries-old indigenous tradition. Though I do agree at the moment meritocracy and democracy are on the decline and will remain so for a while. Most people would be focused on pure survival for now. But once things get better in the future, I could see a resurgence on the way. It's like how liberal democracy was dealt a setback in KR, but it still has the potential to come back even in places like Germany. Communism, meanwhile, is completely dead outside of a few hidden focus tree paths.
Also I think it’s unfortunate that as anti Roman sentiment is increasing around the world, global opinion of Han is also increasing despite him being just as totalitarian as Jerusalem, which could further fuel to the backlash to liberal democracy and meritocracy I mentioned before as Han spreads his authoritarian ideals to the surviving nations that aren’t opposed to him and discredit nations opposed to him like Ryuku. Then again, because of China’s military defeats at the hands of Ryuku, there’s a chance China can become an isolated pariah state hated by the world like North Korea.
Yes indeed. Han sees an opportunity to place China back at the center of the world, with himself as the leader of all humanity, so he takes it. He has already associated all opposition to him and China as an alliance with Jerusalem and its ideas, and we've seen how many Persians have already declared their support for Han or adopted his rhetoric. If China doesn't suffer a total defeat by the end of the war, Han would be in a good position to continue exporting his Sinocentrism. There'd be so many people who would see that as appealing.

Reactions:
Seeing how he brought up Saint Wihelmina’s purges, I wonder what Orhan would think of Saint Gunhilda? I imagine there would be confilicted feelings, as she did stand up against Saint Wihelmina’s purges, but she probably still fought in the crusades that subjected the Ummah in the first place (especially if we go with the idea of having Gunhilda first appear in the 1090s/early 1100s) and likely in favor of a less violent form of Christainazation (through she did leave the Norse of Hispania alone so maybe not).

Also I wonder if the Thaler would use the Gold Standard in TTL?

Seeing how he brought up Saint Wihelmina’s purges, I wonder what Orhan would think of Saint Gunhilda? I imagine there would be confilicted feelings, as she did stand up against Saint Wihelmina’s purges, but she probably still fought in the crusades that subjected the Ummah in the first place (especially if we go with the idea of having Gunhilda first appear in the 1090s/early 1100s) and likely in favor of a less violent form of Christainazation (through she did leave the Norse of Hispania alone so maybe not).

Also I wonder if the Thaler would use the Gold Standard in TTL?
Gunhilda would be thrown under the bus just like Saint Wilhelmina, because she did ultimately support the regimes which carried out purges of the Ummah. Orhan wouldn't care that Gunhilda fought against it when it still happened.

Regarding Christianization, this is probably something that I'll go over better in the 11th century arc, but I generally consider Imperial Orthodoxy to be a more humanistic and inward-looking interpretation of Christianity that puts less emphasis on evangelization and conversion (and more on helping people in general) as an explanation for why the Reich didn't bother trying to convert all of its pagan neighbors and many pagan citizens. I don't know how to accurately describe it right now.

It would have initially been based on silver, but it would probably switch over to the gold standard eventually.

Reactions:
Return to Takomaan

Takomaan - June 28

Taavi casually lounged in his watchtower. Mongol throat singing played gently from an old cassette player next to him. It was just another morning in the village. He didn’t expect anything to happen. Even with the rumors they had heard of things happening elsewhere in Yavdi, they didn’t expect the trouble to reach them here.

And then he heard helicopter blades beating in the distance, gradually getting louder. A helicopter? No, it can’t be. The last time a helicopter had come to their village…he didn’t want to think about it. Taavi shot out of his seat and began ringing the alarm bell. Immediately, the village came to life. People ran out of their homes, making their way to the central square to await further instructions. The village militia assembled at the front entrance.

“What’s the emergency?”

“It’s barely past dawn…”

“I don’t see anybody on the road.”

“Do you hear the helicopter in the distance?” Taavi said. “Like when Bielke attacked?”

Mentioning that man’s name instantly dispelled all of the complaints.

“We have to get ready,” militia commander Kettu said, “We don’t have the same advantages we had last time, so we’ll have to do this all ourselves. Weapons at the ready.”

“Right!”

“Everybody, let’s get to work!”

“We’ll defend our home!”

Their numbers had seen a slight boost since the previous incident. Many families from neighboring villages had taken refuge in Takomaan, hoping to escape the fighting elsewhere. There were a couple Yavdian Army soldiers whose units had been completely destroyed, much like Samir’s division. And there were even a few of Otso Bielke’s men from the last attack, who had decided to stay in the village to escape certain execution by firing squad at his hands for desertion. But their weapons still remained largely the same. Mostly small arms and hunting rifles, with a few bits of Yavdian Army hardware the ex-soldiers had on hand. It would have to do. The militia exited through the front gate and began setting up barricades and trenches under the ex-soldiers’ guidance. Taavi took out binoculars and scanned the sky, focusing on the direction the noise was coming from. It took a bit, but he soon made out a large dark object rapidly approaching, its downdraft shaking the forest’s trees as it flew past.

“Ready!” The militia crouched behind the sandbags and prepared their guns. Of course, the barricade would only help if the helicopter landed outside the village. As fate would have it, and luckily for all of them, it did land outside, halfway between the forest and the village. Kettu silently motioned to the rest of them, and they slowly advanced, guns ready. The helicopter’s engine cut off, and the rotors’ rotation slowed. Getting closer, Taavi could make out more details. It didn’t look like the same Siam-era model that Bielke used. And instead of a Yavdian military insignia, it had…what appeared to be a lion and sun, but crossed out? Persians? What are they doing all the way out here?

“This is the Takomaan village militia!” Kettu shouted through a megaphone. “State your business and intentions here, or we will open fire!”

The door immediately slid open, and Gulichi popped his head out, frantically raising his hands. “Wait! Don’t shoot, it’s me!”

Taavi furrowed his brow. “Gulichi?”

“Taavi?” Gulichi lit up. “Hey, Taavi! How’s it going?”

Taavi sighed. “Next time, you should have announced your arrival over the radio.”

“I tried, but we really have bad reception here, you know?” Gulichi mimicked the sound of static. “I suppose I got too used to the city, huh?”

“Damn right, city boy!” Taavi stepped forward and clasped hands with Gulichi, pulling him in for a bear hug. “Welcome back, Gulichi.”

“Glad to be home.” At that moment, Kettu loudly cleared his throat. Gulichi and Taavi immediately snapped to attention, the former rolling his eyes. “Oh, right. Hey, Commander Kettu.”

“Juha…” Kettu grumbled. “I should’ve known it was you.”

“You should’ve known if you had a better radio.” Guilchi made more static noises.

“Still with that tone of yours, boy? Need I remind you that you still owe me a hundred pushups?”

Gulichi rolled his eyes. “I see Ol’ Piru’s still a piru. Don’t know how you survived all this time without me, Taavi.”

“For your information, I’ve been doing just well, Gulichi,” Taavi said.

“Alright, it’s safe, guys!” Everybody else in the helicopter started disembarking. “Okay, this is going to be a long story, Taavi, so please bear with me.”

“I assume you’re back for a reason?” It probably had to do with the fact that most of the people Taavi saw leaving the helicopter weren’t wearing military uniforms. Some were carrying what looked like scientific equipment. Gulichi’s slight nod confirmed his suspicions.

“Yeah, it’s complicated,” Gulichi said, “Anyways, we kiiiind of need access to the lake.”

---

The militia escorted Gulichi’s group back to the village. As they walked along the dirt road, Samir took in the sights, trying to refamiliarize himself with the terrain. Aside from the path, the fields were largely unmanaged. Grass grew up to his knees. Bushes and shrubs were scattered everywhere. The only defining feature he saw was a metallic structure about fifty feet away from the path. It was longer than it was wide, with a crumpled can-like body and a skinnier tail. What appeared to be a rotor was now barely visible in the grass. A crossed-out green hoof and lightning bolt insignia, set in a circle of black dots, was the only thing telling him this was Otso Bielke’s old helicopter. He nervously looked at the black scimitar strapped to his belt, and then at Taavi. He could feel their wary gazes occasionally focusing on him and the sword. A tyrant’s weapon indeed. Why do I still carry this around?

They passed through the front gate, and Kettu held up the megaphone again. “All clear! There’s no danger here! Except Gulichi Juha!”

“HEY!” Gulichi said.

“I didn’t know you were this popular at home,” Samir said.

“Eh, I don’t like to talk about it,” Gulichi said.

“Is that why you wanted to leave so badly?”

Gulichi shook his head. “No. It wasn’t all bad.”

“GULICHI!” several children ran down the road and wrapped themselves around Gulichi’s legs. “YOU’RE BACK!”

“Hey, kids.” Gulichi waved awkwardly. “Yeah, I’m home.”

“Did you save the world yet?”

“Is it true that Isfahan’s buildings are always on fire?”

“You got any souvenirs for us? What’s Persian candy like?”

“Where’s Friedrich and Ilyana? I want a shagaa rematch!”

“Patience, patience, kids!” Gulichi held up his hands and smiled. “Don’t worry, I’ve got plenty of stories to share. Just wait until dinnertime.”

Wow, it’s like he’s completely different now. He wasn’t like this the last time I was here.

Leyla playfully elbowed Gulichi. “You sure are popular with the kids.”

“I used to help babysit when I was a teenager. We all did. It’s nothing.”

The kids then turned their attention to Leyla. “Hey, who are you, soldier lady?”

“Leyla Mala, Turkish Army.” Leyla gingerly moved a hand in a small approximation of a wave. “Nice to meet you.”

“Are you Gulichi’s girlfriend?”

“WHAT?!” Leyla’s face reddened. “WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FROM?!”

Gulichi nervously looked away and hastily whistled a traditional Mongolian folk tune. Samir couldn’t help but snicker. Oh, these two…though Gulichi would probably point out I’m one to talk.

“Hey, Samir, back me up here!” Gulichi pleaded.

“What do you expect me to do, though?” Samir said.

“I don’t know, just bail me out!”

By now the kids had doubled over, howling with laughter.

“Nah, I don’t think I will,” Samir said with a grin.

---

“So…” the village elder said. “You want access to the island in the lake?”

Gulichi translated the elder’s words into German for Alexandra and Magnus’ convenience.

“…in a nutshell, yes,” Alexandra said.

“Alexandra, I don’t think we should have led with the whole ‘hidden technology that could benefit the Roman exile convoy’,” Magnus said.

“What else was I going to say, Magnus? My mother-in-law’s future-seeing ghost told me?”

“Yes, I do have trouble wrapping my head around it,” the elder said, “I still don’t know how you came across this information. Our village is quite isolated from everywhere else.”

“Sometimes, I don’t know how I got the information either,” Alexandra said, “But what I do know is there’s a good chance that something’s buried on that island. Something that might save the lives of thousands of people to the south.”

“The lake is sacred to our village, the island even more so,” the elder said, “You must know not just anybody can set foot on the island.”

“We’re aware,” Magnus said, “We don’t make this request lightly. Gulichi has told us how significant the lake is for you. But we wouldn’t be asking this if we were less than certain we will find something.”

“We promise we won’t overstay our welcome,” Alexandra said, “We’ll do what we need, try to be as respectful as we can, and then leave as soon as possible.”

“I vouch for them, sir,” Gulichi said, “They’re not like Bielke. I assure you, they’re good people. The princess would have vouched for them too.”

“The princess is not here, though. They are.”

“Still, their promises won’t be empty,” Gulichi said, “I swear on my honor.”

Are they as obsessed with honor here as in Persia? Alexandra thought.

The elder thought it over. “Very well then. I will grant you two days to do what you need.”

“Really? Thank you so much!” Alexandra respectfully shook the elder’s hand.

“This means so much to us and everyone in Mesopotamia!” Magnus said.

“Please remain respectful,” the elder said, “That island also means a lot to our village.”

“We won’t overstay our welcome,” Alexandra said, “I promise.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hopefully the anti Roman xenophobia the rest of the world is experiencing doesn't find its way in Takomaan. Assuming more ancient human or Jotun technology (through they're not be much of the latter around on Earth now that Sentinel is destroyed) is recovered on Earth or the rest of the solar system, that could have the potential to jump start humanity's progression towards Stellaris era space exploration and colonization.

Hopefully the anti Roman xenophobia the rest of the world is experiencing doesn't find its way in Takomaan. Assuming more ancient human or Jotun technology (through they're not be much of the latter around on Earth now that Sentinel is destroyed) is recovered on Earth or the rest of the solar system, that could have the potential to jump start humanity's progression towards Stellaris era space exploration and colonization.
The village is pretty isolated from the rest of the world. I wouldn’t be surprised if their knowledge of Otso Bielke only goes up to when he showed up.