The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It could be interesting to see both right leaning nationalists and the remnants of FLM and leftist factions to team up and kick the Reich out of France, only to fall into a power struggle right afterwards for control of France. I could also see disagreements about what to do with Germans in France as well, with some extremists calling for a Persian style removal of all Germans.
So like the expulsion of Germans from Eastern Europe after World War II then. Makes sense.
It could also be a good idea to expand on the foreign intervention aspect of the war and the rest of the world’s reaction to the Maximist Wars, seeing how we already have Persian volunteers on the Siegfriedist side. Russia trying to mediate between the Maximist and Siegfreidist sides, Scandinavia and Lithuania occupying Roman land, and the 1848 revolutions. Perhaps we could have the Ming dynasty intervene in the war, through either sending voleenters and supplies to the Maximists or sabotaging both sides through diplomacy and espionage, maybe through helping the uprisings of rouge jagdruffs and Maximilian Gorring.
I think the emerging Chinese unification movement would send volunteers to the democratic wing of the Maximists, and some stayed in the Reich after the war. The imperial court would support the mainline Maximists as a way to further weaken and divide the Romans.

And then the Bourbons take power, because The UN supports Meritocracy and the Bourbons happen to claim to champion it in the right time at the right place.
If the French were to gain independence, it would be as a republic since all of the nobility are now associated with Jerusalem and the old regime.

Also the Bourbons never existed.

So like the expulsion of Germans from Eastern Europe after World War II then. Makes sense.

I think the emerging Chinese unification movement would send volunteers to the democratic wing of the Maximists, and some stayed in the Reich after the war. The imperial court would support the mainline Maximists as a way to further weaken and divide the Romans.
Huh, I’m pretty sure you skipped over some questions in my previous post. I’m still curios about Hays Code, as I think the Reich not having it could lead to some interesting deviations from OTL film history, like early positive LGBT representation in movies for example.
Interesting. I don’t remember talking about this, but If we did it was either a long time ago or we didn’t talk about it in detail until now.

Also, I see a note on the table of contents saying you’ll rework the decade summaries at a later point. One area you differentiate the content of those decade updates from OTL would be to make the history of the Babelsburg film industry different from OTL by focusing on either original or European (specifically German) movies. For example, you could go over the history of the Colonial genre what makes it different from OTL Western genre. I also wonder if Babelsburg would something like the Studio System or the Hays Code?

Huh, I’m pretty sure you skipped over some questions in my previous post. I’m still curios about Hays Code, as I think the Reich not having it could lead to some interesting deviations from OTL film history, like early positive LGBT representation in movies for example.
I'd want to draw more from Weimar-era Germany than the 1930s US, so no Hays Code and slightly better representation in that era.

Also the Bourbons never existed.
I think I recall you saying House Capet died out way back in CK2 especially with how France would be ruled by a German dynasty at the time, so yeah the Bourbons definitely wouldn't exist, and then you have the Karlings who might still be around? Given the fact that Siegfried Annonia's dad was a Karling nobleman if I can recall his bio here, so yeah, aside from the Hohenzollerns, I think there's still some remnants of the historical dynasties in Europe proper that were still around by the time the Committee came to power, maybe the odd Komnenos or Doukas here and there too. Though as of now, I reckon most of em are dead due to the nukes. Would be hilarious if there's a Palaiologos still kicking around as part of a resistance movement.

I think I recall you saying House Capet died out way back in CK2 especially with how France would be ruled by a German dynasty at the time, so yeah the Bourbons definitely wouldn't exist, and then you have the Karlings who might still be around? Given the fact that Siegfried Annonia's dad was a Karling nobleman if I can recall his bio here, so yeah, aside from the Hohenzollerns, I think there's still some remnants of the historical dynasties in Europe proper that were still around by the time the Committee came to power, maybe the odd Komnenos or Doukas here and there too. Though as of now, I reckon most of em are dead due to the nukes. Would be hilarious if there's a Palaiologos still kicking around as part of a resistance movement.
We just recently decided to retcon that in favor of Sigmaringens marrying into the Capet line and inherting the French throne from Fredrich von Sigmaringen‘s wife after the previous king and his son died after Fredrich the Great helped put down a pro Papist revolt and integrated France, so I think it’s possible for the Capets to still be around. I think the Karlings can say as well, since Osterhild married a Karling as you said. Not that any of these three families would become the rulers of an independent France as Zen said, all the noble houses are too connected to the Reich and Jerusalem by extension for a French kingdom to work.

I find the idea of an independent Britain and Ireland (I don’t think we firmly established who the viceroys of Hibernia were so I like to think the Tanistry system remains in place) remaining as elective meritocractic monarchies without having answer to the Reich interesting, as the monarchy could act as a check on the other branches of government and still be accountable to the people due to being chosen by them, but they would most likely become republics at this point.
And it wouldn't hurt to add more factions to both the Maximists and Siegfriedists. I've been meaning to move away from the very blatant American Civil War parallels, so this would be a good way to go about it.
Well the confilct was originally inspired by the Carlist Wars, so leaning more on that could be a good way to avoid the American civil war connotations. Also interesting how both sides have authoritarian right wing factions being opposed by progressive reformers within the movement, with Konrad von Habsburg and various military juntas calling the shots in the Maximists faction while being opposed by pro democracy elements, such as rouge Jagdruffs and Prince Martin in my TL-191 update, and the Siegfriedists going in the opposite direction by moving away from reactionary absolutism and embracing liberal meritocracy while putting down Gorring’s proto fascist uprisings.

Speaking of the American Civil War, I know you don’t like most history focused Youtubers, but I was wondering what you think about Atun Shei Films and his Checkmate Lincolnites series, as he seems to do a good job citing reliable sources and refuting the lost cause myth, through he could get his sources wrong sometimes, as this post on r/BadHistory shows (Warning: Reddit link).

You brought up the Potsdam Palace before as the Versailles of the Reich, so I was surprised to see there being two palaces in Potsdam from my research, one city palace that was destroyed by East Germany like the Berlin City Palace was, and a summer palace called Sanssouci that was preserved by East Germany as a tourist attraction. I wonder if TTL DDR would do the same with Sanssouci?

Last edited:
I think there's still some remnants of the historical dynasties in Europe proper that were still around by the time the Committee came to power, maybe the odd Komnenos or Doukas here and there too. Though as of now, I reckon most of em are dead due to the nukes. Would be hilarious if there's a Palaiologos still kicking around as part of a resistance movement.
That would be funny.
We just recently decided to retcon that in favor of Sigmaringens marrying into the Capet line and inherting the French throne from Fredrich von Sigmaringen‘s wife after the previous king and his son died after Fredrich the Great helped put down a pro Papist revolt and integrated France, so I think it’s possible for the Capets to still be around. I think the Karlings can say as well, since Osterhild married a Karling as you said. Not that any of these three families would become the rulers of an independent France as Zen said, all the noble houses are too connected to the Reich and Jerusalem by extension for a French kingdom to work.
Yeah, and I think the Capets still existed in the game because I had a whole policy of trying to keep important/historical dynasties alive in CK2. Karlings definitely stayed around because Osterhild married on. But none of them would become rulers of an independent France. Theyve been 1000+ years removed from actually ruling, so people would see them as more Hohenzollern puppets if they were installed on the throne at this point. Even if they fought against Jerusalem, which I doubt. Being wealthy landowners, they probably sided with Jerusalem to keep their fortunes.
I find the idea of an independent Britain and Ireland (I don’t think we firmly established who the viceroys of Hibernia were so I like to think the Tanistry system remains in place) remaining as elective meritocractic monarchies without having answer to the Reich interesting, as the monarchy could act as a check on the other branches of government and still be accountable to the people due to being chosen by them, but they would most likely become republics at this point.
I think the viceroys of Hibernia came from the de Bachaumont family, which also was prominent in Britannia and Caledonia. But they’d have been purged by Jerusalem, since I’m sure they were part of the reason Hibernia was in open rebellion for so long.
Well the confilct was originally inspired by the Carlist Wars, so leaning more on that could be a good way to avoid the American civil war connotations. Also interesting how both sides have authoritarian right wing factions being opposed by progressive reformers within the movement, with Konrad von Habsburg and various military juntas calling the shots in the Maximists faction while being opposed by pro democracy elements, such as rouge Jagdruffs and Prince Martin in my TL-191 update, and the Siegfriedists going in the opposite direction by moving away from reactionary absolutism and embracing liberal meritocracy while putting down Gorring’s proto fascist uprisings.
I do want to lean more into the Carlist parallels. And yeah, it adds more depth to have each faction have different ideological wings, with the Maximists being taken over by their authoritarian one and the Siegfriedists embracing their liberal one.
Speaking of the American Civil War, I know you don’t like most history focused Youtubers, but I was wondering what you think about Atun Shei Films and his Checkmate Lincolnites series, as he seems to do a good job citing reliable sources and refuting the lost cause myth, through he could get his sources wrong sometimes, as this post on r/BadHistory shows (Warning: Reddit link).
I’ve never heard of him. I don’t watch history Youtubers in general, aside from a couple Overly Sarcastic Productions videos. Even there I generally stick to the writing-related ones.
You brought up the Potsdam Palace before as the Versailles of the Reich, so I was surprised to see there being two palaces in Potsdam from my research, one city palace that was destroyed by East Germany like the Berlin City Palace was, and a summer palace called Sanssouci that was preserved by East Germany as a tourist attraction. I wonder if TTL DDR would do the same with Sanssouci?
Since Sanssouci survived the DDR, it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume it was also spared as a tourist attraction here.

Reactions:
Yeah, and I think the Capets still existed in the game because I had a whole policy of trying to keep important/historical dynasties alive in CK2. Karlings definitely stayed around because Osterhild married on. But none of them would become rulers of an independent France. Theyve been 1000+ years removed from actually ruling, so people would see them as more Hohenzollern puppets if they were installed on the throne at this point. Even if they fought against Jerusalem, which I doubt. Being wealthy landowners, they probably sided with Jerusalem to keep their fortunes.
Agreed, a republic is the best bet for an independent France, through what form that republic should take is in the air. I’m interested in the initial proposal for a French republic from the first batch of rebellions, where the consistent parts of the nation get to maintain their own governments under a decentralized federation, as it’s structured like the Eimerican Federation.
I think the viceroys of Hibernia came from the de Bachaumont family, which also was prominent in Britannia and Caledonia. But they’d have been purged by Jerusalem, since I’m sure they were part of the reason Hibernia was in open rebellion for so long.
That does make sense. The Irish rebel state during Jerusalem’s first civil war was called the Kingdom of Ireland after all. A shame about the Bachaumonts through, let’s hope there are survivors from the purge.

A bit ironic how we‘ve been talking about France and Britain recently, while I’m currently on my vacation in them. :D

Agreed, a republic is the best bet for an independent France, through what form that republic should take is in the air. I’m interested in the initial proposal for a French republic from the first batch of rebellions, where the consistent parts of the nation get to maintain their own governments under a decentralized federation, as it’s structured like the Eimerican Federation.
That wasn’t as much a single French republic as it was an alliance of French rebel governments loosely united by their common enemy. The radicalized FLM never quite became an organized political institution as the constituent rebel governments couldn’t agree on what form it would take and Jerusalem ultimately steamrolled them.
That does make sense. The Irish rebel state during Jerusalem’s first civil war was called the Kingdom of Ireland after all. A shame about the Bachaumonts through, let’s hope there are survivors from the purge.
There probably are, but they’ll unfortunately still be associated with the committee and likely never regain power.
A bit ironic how we‘ve been talking about France and Britain recently, while I’m currently on my vacation in them. :D
That does make sense though. After my trip to Iberia, I did share a whole bunch of lore ideas focusing on Iberia here.

That does make sense though. After my trip to Iberia, I did share a whole bunch of lore ideas focusing on Iberia here.
Funny how that works, here’s to hoping I come up with more lore and story ideas to share with you while I’m on my trip. :)

I mentioned earlier the idea of French nationalists advocating for the Perisan style deportation of Germans in France, but who’s to say they can’t also portray Ceasar’s invasion of Gaul, the purges of Saint Wihelmina, and genocides of Jerusalem as the actions of a single colonizing Roman regime that’s oppressed the French people for 2000 years, like how Persia conflates Jerusalem with previous Roman regimes and Ancient Greece? Even if they don’t do that, the French actually do have plenty of legimate grievances with the Reich that don’t have to do with Jerusalem and would justify independence.

I mentioned earlier the idea of French nationalists advocating for the Perisan style deportation of Germans in France, but who’s to say they can’t also portray Ceasar’s invasion of Gaul, the purges of Saint Wihelmina, and genocides of Jerusalem as the actions of a single colonizing Roman regime that’s oppressed the French people for 2000 years, like how Persia conflates Jerusalem with previous Roman regimes and Ancient Greece? Even if they don’t do that, the French actually do have plenty of legimate grievances with the Reich that don’t have to do with Jerusalem and would justify independence.
It’s a very real possibility that the nationalists frame the French narrative as 2000 years of oppression at the hands of the Romans, with even the independent medieval French kingdoms still being subservient to Romans through the Catholic Church (a stretch, but when has that stopped nationalists before?).

Reactions:
It’s a very real possibility that the nationalists frame the French narrative as 2000 years of oppression at the hands of the Romans, with even the independent medieval French kingdoms still being subservient to Romans through the Catholic Church (a stretch, but when has that stopped nationalists before?).
It’s very possible that there will be a serve reckoning on the level of the reign of terror for Germans in just about any province that isn’t Germania should Jerusalem fall, especially in France.

I know the Paris Commune wouldn’t exist in this timeline, but writing Lynx Noir with some elements and influences from them, mainly in terms of proposed polices and ideology, could be fitting, since they’re both French Marxist groups. It could be a good idea to effectively merge the Paris Commune and the Black Panthers into one 1960s era French Marxist organization in form of Lynx Noir.

I know we’ve discussed Les Miserables before and how it could deal with its casts surviving the aftermath of the Persian revolution here, but I think another idea that’s plausible for TTL Les Miserbales would be to have a insurrection in Paris occur against the occupation of Maximillian Goring, as we could keep the plot relatively similar to OTL.

While we are discussing potential changes to the history pop culture and literature in TTL (and also because I remember seeing alternate write ups about it and a few other influential stories on AlternateHistory.com for a T—191 post where Pelly became an anti Southern Union dictator, where he accepts African Americans and is xenophobic towards white Southerns. Yeah this scenario was weird I know.o_O) I think it would be more interesting to have John Carter from the Barsoom book series be a former Maximist solider than a Siegfriedist veteran, as he’s a former Confederate vet in OTL and we recently had discussions about the differnet political/ideological factions within the Maximist movement. I also found that there plans to adapt a Princess of Mars into an animated movie in the 1930s, which could’ve preceded Snow White as the first American feature length animated movie had it been released as planned. Having that film come out here could have some intresting deviations on the history of Roman animation.

Last edited:
It’s very possible that there will be a serve reckoning on the level of the reign of terror for Germans in just about any province that isn’t Germania should Jerusalem fall, especially in France.
And the worst thing is, the rest of the world will probably sit back and say they deserve it.
I know the Paris Commune wouldn’t exist in this timeline, but writing Lynx Noir with some elements and influences from them, mainly in terms of proposed polices and ideology, could be fitting, since they’re both French Marxist groups. It could be a good idea to effectively merge the Paris Commune and the Black Panthers into one 1960s era French Marxist organization in form of Lynx Noir.
I don’t know about that. I want to keep the LN largely peaceful, like the Black Panthers were, only to be labeled as terrorists and radicals by the political establishment like the BP were in OTL.
I know we’ve discussed Les Miserables before and how it could deal with its casts surviving the aftermath of the Persian revolution here, but I think another idea that’s plausible for TTL Les Miserbales would be to have a insurrection in Paris occur against the occupation of Maximillian Goring, as we could keep the plot relatively similar to OTL.
That could work.
While we are discussing potential changes to the history pop culture and literature in TTL (and also because I remember seeing alternate write ups about it and a few other influential stories on AlternateHistory.com for a T—191 post where Pelly became an anti Southern Union dictator, where he accepts African Americans and is xenophobic towards white Southerns. Yeah this scenario was weird I know.o_O) I think it would be more interesting to have John Carter from the Barsoom book series be a former Maximist solider than a Siegfriedist veteran, as he’s a former Confederate vet in OTL and we recently had discussions about the differnet political/ideological factions within the Maximist movement. I also found that there plans to adapt a Princess of Mars into an animated movie in the 1930s, which could’ve preceded Snow White as the first American feature length animated movie had it been released as planned. Having that film come out here could have some intresting deviations on the history of Roman animation.
Good idea about John Carter being an ex-Maximist. Perhaps he’d be part of the democratic faction and got disillusioned by the overall movement’s authorities turn when he gets sent to Mars. And hopefully the series is more popular in the Reich than in OTL.

Reactions:
Repositioning, Part 2

Isfahan

“Hello, Alex,” Josh said, “It’s nice to see you again.”

Alex sighed. “Of course they stick me with you. Why am I not surprised? Freaking Mozaffar wants me to suffer.”

“Look, I don’t know much about this Mozaffar or whoever,” Josh said, “But why don’t we spend the time to catch up, like good old friends?”

“We were never friends!” Alex said. “You literally tried to kill me multiple times!”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Josh said, “But I’ve heard a few things through the grapevine. To borrow your words, I think I can safely say we’re the same now.”

Alex nodded. “I guess so.”

“What, you’re not even going to deny it?”

“Is there a point?” Alex sat down. “Fact is, a man is dead because of me, and I don’t regret it.”

If only I listened to Thea more, then maybe we wouldn’t be in this mess.

“Well, that’s no fun,” Josh said, “I was looking forward to seeing you mope and whine and all that scheiße.”

“Disappointed?” Alex said. “Only you’d be disappointed in not seeing someone else suffer. You monster.”

“You’re one to talk,” Josh said.

I guess I am. “So what next? You going to kill me?”

“I would, but I can’t,” Josh said.

“You…can’t?”

“Yes, I can’t,” Josh said.

Alex stared at him for several seconds, and then he started cackling. “Oh, this is just rich! I can’t believe it! You’ve got me right where you want to, while I’m at my lowest point, and for once you can’t kill me? Man, my life is such a rollercoaster.”

“Believe me, if I could, I would.” Josh pointed to a chain wrapped around his leg and attached to the far wall. Alex calculated that at its full length, it would prevent Josh from reaching his side of the cell. “Even without this chain, they’ve pumped me full of inhibitor drugs. My strength and reflexes aren’t what they should be.”

“So you’re saying I could take you on,” Alex said.

“Theoretically,” Josh said, “But I wouldn’t push your luck.”

“Hold on a second,” Alex said, “Your Panopticon. Can’t they control you through that, instead of using drugs?”

“I hear they plan on removing it soon,” Josh said, “Something about getting my experiences stored on it.”

The last Argeiphontes version I know could barely recover data. Something about brain waves and bioelectricity of an active implanted Panopticon interfering with and being passed along the wireless connection, obscuring the stuff we want. Looks like Mozaffar’s men can’t get much further than that, so they have to take it out. “They’re taking out your Panopticon?”

“Unfortunately,” Josh said, “A shame. I rather like it.”

“Well, good riddance,” Alex said, “Soon you’ll be back to being like the rest of us.”

“What, boring old sight and no computer helping you think?” Josh said. “No thanks. For years, these Panopticons made everything look like my old shooter games. Ammo count and HP bar in the corner, minimap at the top, enemies marked in red for my own convenience. It was glorious!”

“Is that how the Panopticon makes you see everything?” Alex said. “No wonder you’ve become such a monster. You just see everyone you killed as enemies in a game.”

Alex wasn’t the kind of person who believed video games caused real life violence. But the Panopticons came dangerously close to being a missing link, by changing perception into something organized like a game. The user would stop seeing others as equally human and start seeing them as NPCs or, even worse, mobs to kill. Everything those critics said about video games was now happening with Panopticons. Alex was 100% sure those critics would also fawn over the Panopticons as the future of warfare. Another reason we have to put a stop to this dangerous technology.

“So what?” Josh said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s a game or real life. I see an enemy, I kill them. That’s my job as a soldier. It’s that simple.”

“Have you ever thought about how your victims feel?” Alex said. “The suffering they’ve gone through?”

“Actually, I have,” Josh said, “I’ve thought about it before, and you know what I found? I felt absolutely nothing. No pity or guilt or doubt. Nothing at all when the light leaves my victims’ eyes. Actually, the Panopticon’s signals help me to feel something afterward. You know what that is?”

He leaned closer. “Euphoria. That dopamine rush I get every time I put a bullet right here—” He tapped his forehead between his eyes. “—It’s far more satisfying than any drug or other sensation you can think of. With the P’s, each taste of blood feels oh—so—GOOD!”

“Good thing they’re removing your Panopticon,” Alex said, “You’ll go back to feeling absolutely nothing.”

If he ever got out of this prison, he made a note to ask for Josh’s medical status. If the Panopticon had successfully made him feel something, there was a chance his lack of feeling was tied to a biological issue within his brain, not just psychological. If the Panopticon could induce the brain to create dopamine and make him feel euphoria, then perhaps it could do the same with other chemicals that regulated the emotions. Perhaps they could make him feel guilt. Although if it was psychological, then there was little they could do.

“Sure, but I’ve got no problem with that,” Josh said, “Though that’s rich coming from you.”

“Don’t try to turn it around on me,” Alex said, “I at least feel things.”

“So how did you feel when you shot that guy?” Josh said. “Yes, I know the details. You shot a guy in cold blood because he ran over your precious wife. How did you feel when you realize what you did? Standing over his body, watching the blood pool around him, looking at the smoking gun in your hand, knowing your choice resulted in his death? Did you feel the rush, like I did? That feeling of relief and domination?”

“At first, I felt afraid,” Alex said, “Afraid he would kill Thea. That fear became anger, which became rage. My vision turned deep red. My hands moved on my own. It took all of my strength to aim for his leg. He fell to the ground, spasmed for several long seconds, and then fell still. I didn’t expect him to die. I wasn’t trying to kill him. But when I realized he was actually dead, I felt something.”

“What was it?”

“Relief,” Alex said, “Relief that he won’t threaten Thea again. And I told myself that if anybody else tried it, I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again, if it means protecting Thea. I still felt horrible for taking his life. That man probably had a family who will never get to see him again. I guess one of us was bound to lose a family member that day. Perhaps that man was motivated by the same things I was. Perhaps he just wanted to protect his own family and thought we were a threat. I proved him right. I defended myself and Thea, but I became that threat he feared. He failed to protect his own loved ones. We may have been the same in many ways, but this is one of the ways we’re different, Josh. I think about all this, and you don’t.”

“Why bother yourself with such trivial scheiße, when you can just do as I do and not care at all?” Josh said. “It’s much easier for your mind if you just purge yourself of these unnecessary feelings. What do you need with them anyways?”

“It’s what keeps me human,” Alex said, “Otherwise, I’d just be a machine. I refuse to be a heartless machine, like what Jerusalem twisted you into.”

“I’ve always been like this, Alex,” Josh said.

“I don’t think so,” Alex said, “I remember what you were like in middle school. There was a time before you were an emotionless killer. I remember you really liked to learn things. How you lit up when we studied history, despite what you said to me and Manfred. You had friends too. A clique of bullies, sure, but you all seemed to get along. How can you possibly say you were always what you are today?”

“Because that’s who I am, deep down,” Josh said, “A vulture in this cruel world where you either give or you take.”

“No, I think I know why,” Alex said, “You’re trying to justify your actions to yourself. You’ve always had doubts about the path you’ve taken, no matter what you say to me or yourself. Deep down, there’s a part of you that knows what you’re doing is wrong. You ignore it, or perhaps that part of your brain isn’t working properly, but it’s still there. So you try not to think about it at all. You pretend it doesn’t exist and tell yourself excuses to convince yourself you’re doing the right thing.”

“And why would I do that?”

“Because if you admit you’re wrong, then everything you’ve done for the last few years will have been for nothing. It’s the sunk cost fallacy. You’ve already spent years going down this path, so backing out would seem like a waste.”

“You know nothing about me,” Josh said, “You don’t know why I chose this path. And I chose this path.”

Alex shook his head. “I’ve seen some of your memories through the Panopticon.”

“You did?” A brief look of alarm flashed across Josh’s face.

“Only a few snippets,” Alex said, “But enough to see what you were like before. Your mother always encouraged you to read history books. You took care of a dog. But your father pushed you down the path of the vulture and left you no other choice. You wanted to see your mother again so she could convince you to turn around, but he killed her, keeping you on your path. This was never your path to choose. You’ve been on a script most of your life, so of course it’s going to look scary when you run out of lines to read.”

“And you aren’t on a script too?” Josh said. “Because let’s face it, this world runs on things far greater than any of us. We just get swept along by the currents.”

“That’s true,” Alex said, “One person alone isn’t enough to change things. But we can still try to find our own place, doing something we love and want to do. We can find other people we share common cause with and try to build something, in the hopes that we can ultimately redirect the currents to wherever we want.”

“But…” Josh’s voice wavered. “The vultures…they’ll just backstab you in the end.”

“That’s not true,” Alex said, “There are plenty of people out there like me who aren’t…backstabbing scumbags. We just want to live our lives in peace with those we care about.”

“And what if you can’t live in peace, because of people like me?” Josh asked. “I’ve helped plunge the world into war. I’ve helped kill millions, including your own parents.”

“If I can’t live in peace, I can at least try to put the pieces back together so that the next generation can,” Alex said, “And if I’m not available to do that, then someone else will. That’s how we’ve survived as a species. Humans, frankly, are weak creatures. Fearful and paranoid and physically frail. Helpless for the first few years of their life. We’re scared of the unknown other as a survival mechanism against predators, and we’re primed to fight back. That impulse, turned inward, becomes a drive for betterment through competition. But you forget there’s another aspect to our humanity. We’re weak and helpless, but we band together for protection. We help and teach each other what we know, synthesizing new ideas in the process. It’s that cooperation that drives the world forward, not just competition. So even if you think everybody is a competitor, you’re wrong. There’s plenty of people out there who are willing to lend a hand, if you ask.”

“Who would help me though, after all I’ve done?” Josh said.

“Is that a hint of remorse I hear?”

“Don’t get me wrong, this is just a hypothetical. But say I dedicate myself to…rehabilitation, as the Persians call it. Who would want to help someone whose hands have killed thousands and paved the way for the destruction of entire countries?”

“If you make an honest effort at redeeming yourself, people might give you another shot,” Alex said, “It’s never too late to walk a different path.”

“How can you say that to me?” Josh said. “You should hate me for everything I’ve done. I took your parents from you. I took your home, your country. I killed Oskar. I’ve committed unspeakable atrocities, things that can’t be taken back no matter how forgiving you can be. So why aren’t you hating me as much as you should? Why don’t you want me dead? As the victor of our final battle, you have every right to end things. So why won’t you?”

“Because Oskar wouldn’t have done it,” Alex said..

“…Oskar.”

Alex nodded. “It was so long ago, but I can still hear his words as though I just got out of his class five minutes ago. This is not what Oskar would want. A cycle of hatred begetting hatred, violence begetting more violence, people never truly understanding each other, it has to end at some point. We need to make amends, so the healing process can begin. It might take a long time, perhaps even years, but we won’t know until we try it. We can’t keep going on hating one another.”

Josh was silent for a while. Then he headed back to his end of the cell, his chain clinking behind him. “I think we’re done talking here.” He said nothing else.

“Just take some time to think about it,” Alex said, “I know I will be too.”

He heard no response.

---

Edit: fixed some typos.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Very well written and detailed interaction between Josh and Alex all around, as It does a great job at showing how Alex and Josh are similar and where they differ. The things Josh has done are unforgivable, but perhaps there‘s that shred of that kid who was interested in history within the sociopath Josh has become.
I don’t know about that. I want to keep the LN largely peaceful, like the Black Panthers were, only to be labeled as terrorists and radicals by the political establishment like the BP were in OTL.
Fair enough, that’s a good idea, as it adds more depth to the equalist movement if we keep Lynx Noir a largely peaceful left-wing civil rights movement willing to stand up to police brutality. If Lynx Noir ended up like the Black Panthers in OTL, then perhaps Sentinel could have something to do with the movements suppression and the assassinations of its leaders. Then again, maybe it would be better if the mainstream political establishment, fearfully thinking the Lynx Noirs are a Soviet proxy for deromanizatiom and terrorists like the RAF, was still responsible for their suppression, with little Sentinel involvement, as it show the flaws of the Roman political system that go beyond Sentinel and led to Jerusalem, as Valentin once pointed out.

Last edited:
Very well written and detailed interaction between Josh and Alex all around, as It does a great job at showing how Alex and Josh are similar and where they differ. The things Josh has done are unforgivable, but perhaps there‘s that shred of that kid who was interested in history within the sociopath Josh has become.
And Alex definitely remembered the lessons Oskar imparted onto him, even after everything that's happened.
Fair enough, that’s a good idea, as it adds more depth to the equalist movement if we keep Lynx Noir a largely peaceful civil rights movement willing to stand up to police brutality. If Lynx Noir ended up like the Black Panthers in OTL, then perhaps Sentinel could have something to do with the movements suppression and the assassinations of its leaders. Then again, maybe it would be better if the mainstream political establishment, fearfully thinking the Lynx Noirs are a Soviet proxy for deromanizatiom and terrorists like the RAF, was still responsible for their suppression, with little Sentinel involvement, as it show the flaws of the Roman political system that go beyond Sentinel and led to Jerusalem, as Valentin once pointed out.
I don't think we need to directly involve Sentinel in this. Both because the Black Panthers were already much maligned in mainstream society and the political establishment in OTL and because it would take away from showing the genuine flaws in the Roman system that Sentinel was merely one symptom of, not the root cause.

Reactions:
Even if it amounts to nothing, I think Alex getting to say this to Josh will help Alex bury some of his past.

Even if it amounts to nothing, I think Alex getting to say this to Josh will help Alex bury some of his past.
It's a nice followup to April 2. After physically fighting and prevailing over Josh, Alex now gets to talk to him on a more or less equal playing field and have a conversation he hasn't been able to have since school.