The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Repositioning, Part 1

Hamadan- June 26

As the sun dipped behind the mountains, Alexandra walked through the streets of Hamedan, taking in the sights. Most of the damage caused during the initial Operation Huma assault had been repaired. And with all of the people she saw milling around on the sidewalks and in stores, it was hard to believe this town was once a battlefield. True, there were plenty of Jerusalemite resistance groups and holdout Crusader units operating in the area, but they were no longer serious threats. Most of the townspeople were simply glad they hadn’t been nuked by the Mad Regent, as they now called Philemon Moria. Apparently, the madman had the absolutely brilliant idea of only nuking the cities he controlled. If millions hadn’t been killed, Alexandra would have burst into laughter at that realization.

Still, Alexandra didn’t want to overstay her welcome. Thousands of exiles had arrived here over the last three days. These townspeople might have been welcoming, but so were Persians at first. Most of the exiles decided to stay in the Artesh base established on the plains outside the town. The units stationed in Hamadan were among those which had deserted to protect the exiles. Most importantly, many combat engineer units had defected to their side, and they were now put to good use building temporary housing for the exiles. They couldn’t stay here forever. Eventually, Isfahan would send loyal troops to retake the base and expel them, so before that happened, they would leave.

---

A dozen military officers and civilian leaders crowded into Hamadan’s town hall. Four major factions could be easily identified by their outfits. Igre Gurkani and her staff, wearing Yavdian green dress uniforms, took their seats first. Next were Shayan Tahmasb and the Artesh deserters, who wore light brown camouflage. They sat next to the Yavdians. After that, Gebhard and his officers, wearing faded Roman fatigues, took their seats next to Igre’s delegation. Finally, Izinchi and her aides, wearing business attire, sat in the remaining seats.

“This meeting of the Provisional Government is called to order. First on today’s agenda is the matter of food.”

“General Börte is more than happy to distribute another month’s worth of rations to the civilian population,” Igre said, “But at the current rate, we will run out within one month.”

“We have the same problem,” Shayan said, “Even with strict rationing, we’ll only have enough for a month.”

“Two months, then?” Gebhard said. “Chancellor, what about civilian supplies?”

“Most of what we got from sympathetic locals is perishable,” Izinchi said, “We don’t have that many refrigeration units, so it will only last a few days. The rest can sustain us up to two weeks.”

“What about canned food? Or nonperishable food?”

“There’s only enough for three weeks.”

“I regret that we cannot provide more rations,” Igre said, “But our troops need to be fed too.”

Gebhard couldn’t blame them. If the troops couldn’t fight, they wouldn’t even make it out of Persian-controlled territory, let alone survive against Crusaders and Bielke. “But then how will we make it past the month? We can’t keep relying on the charity of locals when they’re barely able to feed themselves already.”

“Our operating capacity is already as strained as it is,” Igre said, “We’ll soon have to abandon several tanks and other vehicles due to a lack of fuel. If we don’t get to where we need to go soon, we’ll end up traveling on foot.”

“Without adequate heating or electricity too,” Izinchi said, “We’ve had to resort to gasoline-powered generators.”

“General Börte already has plans to seize Baku and its oilfields,” Igre said, “We have the city surrounded. She has only to give the order to begin the assault.”

“What about the processing facilities?” Gebhard said. “Are they intact?”

“Ryukyuan satellite data indicates they are. It should be enough to address our fuel needs for now.”

“Let’s do it,” Gebhard said, “Baku will be our next stopping point.”

“So we’re really going to Astrakhan then?” Shayan said.

“It’s the safest option. Relatively speaking.” Gebhard laid out a map of the region on the table. “Our other options are heading south into Arabia, west into Syria and Anatolia, or north into the Caucasus. We don’t have the supplies to handle the deserts of Arabia, and Baghdad is in no condition to be lived in. Syria and Anatolia have been nuked, so we’d have to deal with the anarchy there in addition to our own needs. That leaves only the Caucasus.”

“Won’t we have to cross the Caucasus Mountains?” Izinchi asked.

“We got to Mesopotamia by going through Tamatarcha, on the west side of the Caucasus Mountains,” Igre said, “But we can also pass the mountains on the other end, at Baku. We’ll resupply and refuel there. Then we’ll go to Astrakhan.”

“That can help with our fuel issue, but not food,” Gebhard said, “Anybody got ideas?”

Everybody looked at each other, but nobody could answer.

Harvest was months away. Gebhard looked out the window at the murky orange sky. Another round of nuclear winter was on its way. Hundreds of millions around the world would starve. The exiles, lacking many of the conveniences of modern society, would be hit hardest. Even if we find somewhere to stay, will we even make it through the next winter? Or even to the next winter?

---

Alexandra found Magnus in one of the military workshops, as usual. He was surrounded by a variety of machine parts. “Still at it?”

“Yeah.” Magnus held up what seemed like a mechanical arm. “I think I’m on the verge of a breakthrough here.”

“What do you mean?” Alexandra said.

“Theodor’s exosuit is still intact and usable,” Magnus said, “So I was thinking if I could recalibrate it, based on what I learned about each part’s functionality from the other two damaged exosuits, I could give Thea back some mobility.”

“What Thea needs most right now is rest,” Alexandra said, “August’s done his best to make her comfortable through the whole journey. She shouldn’t move unless necessary.”

“I know, but this way, she can help us out again,” Magnus said.

“Do you really think we should be putting a woman who by all means should still be in intensive care back to work?”

“It’s not my thought,” Magnus said, “Thea asked me herself.”

“She…wants to work?” Alexandra was confused.

“Yeah,” Magnus said, “Said a lot about being useless and unable to help out while Alex is in jail and we’re busting our butts keeping this whole group alive.”

Alexandra thought back to the days when they were in that lab in Damascus. When they were working on the first reactor, Thea had always taken charge in assigning work, but she took the most demanding work for herself. “She doesn’t like how this feels like special treatment.”

“Exactly,” Magnus said, “She always wanted to pull her weight. So she doesn’t take it well when we have to pull hers.”

“Still, it’s not good for her health,” Alexandra said, “She could botch her recovery.”

“I keep telling her that, but she won’t take no for an answer,” Magnus said.

“At least convince her to hold off on it for a little bit,” Alexandra said, “Until she’s in better condition.”

“I’ll try, but I make no guarantees,” Magnus said.

Ulm

Heinrich never thought he would end up in Ulm, of all places. But the old home of Einstein was the largest city in the Central District that survived the nukes which rained down across Jerusalem on June 22. Friendly local commanders told him they were fortunate enough to have one anti-aircraft missile battery on hand to shoot down the nuke that was supposed to have annihilated them. He would have preferred to set up his headquarters in Augsburg or Frankfurt, but Ulm would have to do. But here he was, sitting in the back of a car as it inched through the crowded streets, packed with panicked locals and refugees fleeing the nuked neighboring cities. Car horns and hundreds of voices mixed together, making it hard to compose thoughts. Today, he was on his way to meet potential allies in his war against Moria. Although many Crusader commanders rallied to his banner, there weren’t enough of them, and most of them were scattered across Europe. That meant that to gain the military strength and cohesion he needed to not be instantly crushed in central Europe, he had to reach out to…less ideal groups. Of those groups, only one was easily accessible from his current location, on account of them forcing their way into the city and entering a standoff with his men.

His car stopped in front of the local train station. “Are you sure, sir?” his driver asked. “We still haven’t verified the safety of the building as of—”

“I’ll be fine,” Heinrich said, “They know I’m their only hope of defeating Moria.”

"Do we really need to reach out to heretic scum? What do they bring that we don’t already have?”

“A new perspective on things,” Heinrich said, “I need something to counter Moria’s RSB expertise. Preferably something outside the system, free of his influence.”

“And you’ve turned to heretics?”

“Do you have a better suggestion?”

The driver immediately shut up. Heinrich got out and entered the station. At one of the platforms, a train sat idle. Rebel soldiers—identified by their plain civilian clothing—formed a perimeter around the doors. Some of the windows were rolled up, and Heinrich saw barrels of rifles poking out. He raised his arms.

“I am General Heinrich Dandolo, a Holy Regent,” he declared, “I come in peace.”

At that, several voices arose in opposition.

“How can you say that?!”

“Like you did at Bremerhaven?”

“Can you say that to the millions you just murdered?”

Heinrich bowed his head. It’s not going to be easy, walking this thin line. One wrong move, and I’d be shot. Either by these rebels or my own officers.

“I did not give that order,” he explained, “That was Moria.”

“Sure, tell yourself that.” A door slid open, and a woman walked out. Her face was familiar. Heinrich remembered it from old news stories, before.

“Colonel Frederica Eisenburg,” he said, “The astronaut?”

Frederica nodded, refusing to salute. “I’m surprised someone still remembers me. Especially one responsible for taking away my career.”

To that, Heinrich didn’t know how to reply. He decided to move on. “Are you the leader of this rebel faction?”

“Leader?” Frederica scoffed. “I suppose I’m the most known person in our group.”

“So do you speak for your faction?”

“Nobody objected. So here I am.”

Heinrich nodded. “Good enough for me.”

“Tell me, general,” Frederica said, “What does an all-powerful Regent need with a few dozen ragtag rebels? Surely you have entire armies ready to march on Berlin.”

“What I need from you, Colonel, is your ragtag rebels,” Heinrich said, “I may have thousands of Crusaders, but they’re drilled in conventional tactics that Moria knows. Furthermore, their Panopticons could be hacked, giving Moria remote control over my forces.”

“Wow, you must really be an idiot if you didn’t fix that fatal flaw.”

“I’ve done my best to patch it,” Heinrich said, “I’ve disconnected all Crusaders under my command from the main network. But this isn’t my generation. I barely know how they work. Which is why I need you to infiltrate Frankfurt and either capture or destroy the Panopticon servers located there. That way, my troops will be free.”

“Let me get this straight.” Frederica crossed her arms. “You want us, all several dozen of us, to sneak into an irradiated hellscape and capture or destroy a heavily guarded server that, I should remind you, we don’t even know is still intact after the nuking, just so your troops are free to follow your orders? What do we get out of this? For all I know, you could immediately cut us off once we served our purpose. I know you’ve done that before. I’ve heard the rumors about the late tyrant Kaiser.”

The late tyrant Kaiser… Heinrich froze when he heard those words. I failed to protect His Majesty. I failed to honor Kaiser Otto’s last wishes. They blame me, even though it was all Elias and Gertrude. I suppose I deserve it.

Frederica tapped her foot impatiently. “So? What’s in it for us? Why shouldn’t we just kill you right now? Then we’d have only one more Regent to take care of.”

“You need me alive,” Heinrich said, “If I die, my troops will go right back to Moria, and those who won’t will be crushed. Moria will take over this entire country and continue his mad reign. This is the man who nuked Constantinople just to kill the Ecumenical Patriarch and then nuked the entire country for no reason.”

“So he was responsible for Anatolios,” Frederica said.

Heinrich nodded. “I can tell you so much about the committee. Including what we did to the Hohenzollerns.”

“The only Hohenzollern I care about is Princess Wilhelmina, and she’s nowhere to be seen,” Frederica said.

They say no news is good news, right? She hasn’t shown up since the battle in Isfahan. I hope she’s fine. “My point is that I have valuable information I can give you. Not only that, but I have access. I can give you and whatever groups you’re working with access to the latest military hardware. Rifles, grenades, helicopters, tanks, you name it.” He was getting desperate at this point. They had only so much time before Moria figured out Theodor’s remote control mechanism, got past his technicians’ stopgap measures, and turned the entire army into his hive mind. “Please, Colonel Eisenburg. I’m not asking this as a Regent or even as a general. I’m begging for your help as a fellow human being who just wants this senseless chaos and slaughter to end.”

Frederica’s expression remained unchanged. “Imagine that, a goddamn Regent groveling before me. I never thought I’d see the day. You must be really desperate. Alright, then, I’ll accept your offer, on one condition.”

“Name it.”

“I will be part of your planning process,” Frederica said, “As an equal, not your subordinate, despite my old rank. You will share all of your information with me and my group. If I suspect even a hint of betrayal incoming, I will not hesitate to shoot you on the sight. Do I make myself clear?”

Heinrich nodded. “Yes. I accept these terms.”

• 3Like
Reactions:
Daaang, Heinrich is desperate

With Africa starting to unite itself, it can basically only end in 3 main ways. Either Mali takes over most of Africa by force and unites the continent, The African Reich's Populist resistance conquers Africa and goes on a colonization spree, or... Jerusalem.

Daaang, Heinrich is desperate

With Africa starting to unite itself, it can basically only end in 3 main ways. Either Mali takes over most of Africa by force and unites the continent, The African Reich's Populist resistance conquers Africa and goes on a colonization spree, or... Jerusalem.
That’s a very reductionist take, assuming it can only end through one faction violently conquering the others.

Huh, I didn’t know Einstein was born in Ulm until now, you learn something new everyday.

It maybe a tense and fragile alliance, but Frederica and Henrich working together against Moria is a good start. Let’s also hope the loyalists conquering Baku and moving to Astrakhan works out, otherwise the exiles are in trouble.

Also this whole turn of events doesn’t bode well for Roman-Persian relations when this war is over. We can take trade relations off the the table after this, and I assume there would be a lot of border disputes.
That’s a very reductionist take, assuming it can only end through one faction violently conquering the others.
Very true. Still, I think it’s fair to say no body in Africa will like the Reich due to either Jerusalem’s genocidal colonialism or the old political establishment before 2030 ignoring them, wether they would be Roman settlers, Indians or native Africans. I think it’s possible for the Reich to be kicked off the continent entirely, which could cause some problems in Europe when the breadbaskets of Egypt and North Africa decide to leave the Reich and become independent member states of the African Commonwealth on their own accord. I suppose the Reich could still feed its people using the arable lands of Taurica and Eastern Europe, but even the people there understandably hate the Reich and the Germans that rule it as well. What I’m saying is that a massive famine in Europe is pretty plausible at this point.

I think it’s safe to assume the Jewish high priesthood fled to Abyssinia when the Commitee took over, because things won’t end well for non orthodox Christian head of faiths that stay in the Reich, not that some of them, like the Slavic priesthood, have any where to go after Russia is conquered.

Also I see this batch is called the Second Anarchy, very fitting title all things concerned.

Last edited:
Huh, I didn’t know Einstein was born in Ulm until now, you learn something new everyday.
It was also a Free Imperial City in OTL, but I left that out because the status probably changed under the Reich.
It maybe a tense and fragile alliance, but Frederica and Henrich working together against Moria is a good start.
You know they say about the enemy of your enemy.
Let’s also hope the loyalists conquering Baku and moving to Astrakhan works out, otherwise the exiles are in trouble.
There is no longer any room for error.
Also this whole turn of events doesn’t bode well for Roman-Persian relations when this war is over. We can take trade relations off the the table after this, and I assume there would be a lot of border disputes.
That’s putting it very lightly. There’s a very real chance 1500 years of Roman-Persian conflict will start up again.
Still, I think it’s fair to say no body in Africa will like the Reich due to either Jerusalem’s genocidal colonialism or the old political establishment before 2030 ignoring them, wether they would be Roman settlers, Indians or native Africans.
True. They will never forgive Roman Europe.
I think it’s possible for the Reich to be kicked off the continent entirely, which could cause some problems in Europe when the breadbaskets of Egypt and North Africa decide to leave the Reich and become independent member states of the African Commonwealth on their own accord. I suppose the Reich could still feed its people using the arable lands of Taurica and Eastern Europe, but even the people there understandably hate the Reich and the Germans that rule it as well. What I’m saying is that a massive famine in Europe is pretty plausible at this point.
Not only that, but the Africans would probably cheer on the famine in Europe as exactly what the Romans deserve.
I think it’s safe to assume the Jewish high priesthood fled to Abyssinia when the Commitee took over, because things won’t end well for non orthodox Christian head of faiths that stay in the Reich, not that some of them, like the Slavic priesthood, have any where to go after Russia is conquered.
I imagine most of the European religions have lost their entire leadership at this point.
Also I see this batch is called the Second Anarchy, very fitting title all things concerned.
You haven’t seen anything yet.

If Jerusalem Falls, there would be a unity between former Roman Africa and Non Roman Africa, especially since at one point, all of Africa was occupied by the Reich. All of Africa has that in common. If, no... WHEN Jerusalem falls, it would likely end in an Non Roman African Commonwelth, or a Roman African centered Fourth Empire that would unite Africa.

If Jerusalem Falls, there would be a unity between former Roman Africa and Non Roman Africa, especially since at one point, all of Africa was occupied by the Reich. All of Africa has that in common. If, no... WHEN Jerusalem falls, it would likely end in an Non Roman African Commonwelth, or a Roman African centered Fourth Empire that would unite Africa.
The whole thing with all of Africa being under Roman control at one point is nothing more than a bit of trivia, since the occupations of Mali, Abyssinia, and the Indian colonies were temporary. It meant nothing in the end.

I didn't know either! It's amazing!!!

Russia can migrate and turn into Foderati for whatever replaces Jerusalem and then corrupt that state from within, helping in making it collapse. After all, Gibbons would be a popular read for everyone once Jerusalem falls.

“Our other options are heading south into Arabia, west into Syria and Anatolia, or north into the Caucasus. We don’t have the supplies to handle the deserts of Arabia, and Baghdad is in no condition to be lived in. Syria and Anatolia have been nuked, so we’d have to deal with the anarchy there in addition to our own needs. That leaves only the Caucasus.”
Couldn't they settle in the area between the Greater and Lesser Caucasus Mountains like were Georgia is in OTL? That way they are surrounded on all sides by mountains making it easier to defend.

“Sure, tell yourself that.” A door slid open, and a woman walked out. Her face was familiar. Heinrich remembered it from old news stories, before.

“Colonel Frederica Eisenburg,” he said, “The astronaut?”

Frederica nodded, refusing to salute. “I’m surprised someone still remembers me. Especially one responsible for taking away my career.”

To that, Heinrich didn’t know how to reply. He decided to move on. “Are you the leader of this rebel faction?”

“Leader?” Frederica scoffed. “I suppose I’m the most known person in our group.”

“So do you speak for your faction?”

“Nobody objected. So here I am.”
It's great that Frederica is able to "do" something again as apposed to being stuck as a house wife. That said why did Heinrich's driver call her and her group heretics?

We truly are in the "End Times". I can only imagine what things look like in universe on the ground. :eek:

I didn't know either! It's amazing!!!

Russia can migrate and turn into Foderati for whatever replaces Jerusalem and then corrupt that state from within, helping in making it collapse. After all, Gibbons would be a popular read for everyone once Jerusalem falls.
The Foederati system is long dead, so stop trying to make it happen. Also please no Gibbon, he’s still a hack here as in OTL.
Couldn't they settle in the area between the Greater and Lesser Caucasus Mountains like were Georgia is in OTL? That way they are surrounded on all sides by mountains making it easier to defend.
The main issue is arable farmland that can support 20k+ people.
It's great that Frederica is able to "do" something again as apposed to being stuck as a house wife. That said why did Heinrich's driver call her and her group heretics?
The same reason Jerusalem calls its enemies heretics, atheists, equalists, fascists, and liberals at the same time. It’s a buzzword used for all rebels and everything anti-Jerusalem.

Given we know Heinrich's goals, I expect him to be a man of his word. The question is if his allies will trust him long enough to get results.

Given we know Heinrich's goals, I expect him to be a man of his word. The question is if his allies will trust him long enough to get results.
Yes, his allies…and his “allies.”

Yes, his allies…and his “allies.”
Yeah, if Frederica already doesn‘t trust Henrich, imagine what little is preventing Frederica’s rebels and Henrich’s Crusaders from shooting each other and killing Frederica and Henrich in eve process.
The main issue is arable farmland that can support 20k+ people.
True. The downside of Astrakhan through is that it is very vulnerable to attack, either from the Crusaders or Bielke.

TIL Einstein was born in Ulm, no wonder that city is OP as hell in EU4. Desperate times call for desperate measures for Heinrich, plus it's a damn shame Elias and Gertrude's actions will never see the light of day in the end. While I can see Heinrich keeping to his word, his subordinates might not be so inclined so do so, especially after being indoctrinated for so long.

plus it's a damn shame Elias and Gertrude's actions will never see the light of day in the end.
I mean, Henrich could always tell Frederica. Wether or not she’ll believe him will be a question of how much Frederica grows to trust Henrich, and the evidence he has to back up his narrative. Either way, it’s not like anyone like the idea of an absolute hereditary monarchy with caesaropapist powers anyway after all this, even if they did have the full context for Elias’ machinations.

Yeah, if Frederica already doesn‘t trust Henrich, imagine what little is preventing Frederica’s rebels and Henrich’s Crusaders from shooting each other and killing Frederica and Henrich in eve process.
There’s so many things that could go horribly wrong with Heinrich and Frederica’s alliance.
True. The downside of Astrakhan through is that it is very vulnerable to attack, either from the Crusaders or Bielke.
That is the biggest flaw, but all other places they could go to have the same issue.
TIL Einstein was born in Ulm, no wonder that city is OP as hell in EU4. Desperate times call for desperate measures for Heinrich, plus it's a damn shame Elias and Gertrude's actions will never see the light of day in the end. While I can see Heinrich keeping to his word, his subordinates might not be so inclined so do so, especially after being indoctrinated for so long.
Heinrich will have to worry about his own officers shooting him just as much as he needs to worry about keeping the rebels happy.
I mean, Henrich could always tell Frederica. Wether or not she’ll believe him will be a question of how much Frederica grows to trust Henrich, and the evidence he has to back up his narrative. Either way, it’s not like anyone like the idea of an absolute hereditary monarchy with caesaropapist powers anyway after all this, even if they did have the full context for Elias’ machinations.
The full context could possibly make people like absolute cesaropapist monarchy even less, since it shows just how easy it can be for anybody to bend the entire country to their will.

There’s so many things that could go horribly wrong with Heinrich and Frederica’s alliance.

That is the biggest flaw, but all other places they could go to have the same issue.

Heinrich will have to worry about his own officers shooting him just as much as he needs to worry about keeping the rebels happy.

The full context could possibly make people like absolute cesaropapist monarchy even less, since it shows just how easy it can be for anybody to bend the entire country to their will.
Looks like Heinrich and Fredrica has got their work cut out for them.

Meritocratic Constitutional Monarchy Intensifies

It’s also nice Shayan is part of the exiles as well, I thought he would have been imprisoned after being sacked.

For all the Reich’s progressive reforms in a lot of areas, it’s a shame how quickly those could be undone due to conservative the Roman people can be. It’s also ironic how reactionary the Reich was regarding LGBT despite its tolerance, as it only decriminalizes homsexuality in the 1950s and still let the Britainnan giver persecute Alan Turing (still weird how that happened still in TTL).

We talked about exploring the Black Panthers (or Lynx Noir) and rhe overlooked side of the civil rights movement, do you have some ideas that could differentiate the counter culture, anti war, and civil rights movements of the 60s from OTL?

It’s also nice Shayan is part of the exiles as well, I thought he would have been imprisoned after being sacked.
My original plan was that he was locked in the hospital as well, but I realized I wasn’t doing anything with him. So I gave him a bigger role in the story.
For all the Reich’s progressive reforms in a lot of areas, it’s a shame how quickly those could be undone due to conservative the Roman people can be. It’s also ironic how reactionary the Reich was regarding LGBT despite its tolerance, as it only decriminalizes homsexuality in the 1950s and still let the Britainnan giver persecute Alan Turing (still weird how that happened still in TTL).
You know, after doing the research into Christianization yesterday, I was thinking of also retconning the Reich’s LGBT policy into something like the status of slavery, in that it’s not outright banned or legal. In heavily Christian areas, homosexuality would be heavily stigmatized, but in places recently Christianized like Hungary, Poland, and Taurica, it might be less stigmatized depending on how the local culture viewed it. Though not all pagan religions would be more LGBT tolerant than Christianity, as the scholarship suggests the pagan Norse were very harsh towards homosexuals. So I guess the different provinces have varying laws, with provinces like Britannia and Hispania having the harshest ones.
We talked about exploring the Black Panthers (or Lynx Noir) and rhe overlooked side of the civil rights movement, do you have some ideas that could differentiate the counter culture, anti war, and civil rights movements of the 60s from OTL?
Building on the Nahua being a discriminated minority like OTL African Americans, I could have their civil rights movement take more from the OTL Chicano subculture and movement’s embrace of Aztec/Indigenous Mexican culture in certain respects. Still need to think about other 1960s movements.

Reactions:
My original plan was that he was locked in the hospital as well, but I realized I wasn’t doing anything with him. So I gave him a bigger role in the story.

You know, after doing the research into Christianization yesterday, I was thinking of also retconning the Reich’s LGBT policy into something like the status of slavery, in that it’s not outright banned or legal. In heavily Christian areas, homosexuality would be heavily stigmatized, but in places recently Christianized like Hungary, Poland, and Taurica, it might be less stigmatized depending on how the local culture viewed it. Though not all pagan religions would be more LGBT tolerant than Christianity, as the scholarship suggests the pagan Norse were very harsh towards homosexuals. So I guess the different provinces have varying laws, with provinces like Britannia and Hispania having the harshest ones.

Building on the Nahua being a discriminated minority like OTL African Americans, I could have their civil rights movement take more from the OTL Chicano subculture and movement’s embrace of Aztec/Indigenous Mexican culture in certain respects. Still need to think about other 1960s movements.
Makes sense that the Reich wouldn’t have a unified LGBT policy until the mid 20th-early 21st century, with some provinces like France (which descrimalized sodomy and consensual homosexual relationships in 1791 in OTL) being more tolerant than others.

I suppose you could have significant pro democracy protests against the Chinese junta to mirror the western counterculture/civil rights/anti war movements and the Prague Spring (I know that happened in 1972 here, but I mentioned it because it happened in the 60s in OTL). In addition to the Siam Wars, I could see the anti war movements also being mad at deblaces like the Abyssinian war, the Carib Republic’s invasion of Ireland, and the Neurhomanian emergency. Heck, I like imagine that militant left wing groups like the RAF were inspired by successful militias and resistance groups fighting against the Paulluists in Ireland. It would be interesting to see your ideas for the Black Panthers/Lynx Noir being fleshed out more. Maybe Lynx Noir, in addition to the Black Panthers, could take some inspiration from leftist and anti war groups in France during the war in Algeria.

Last edited: