The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Moria is the ultimate, "Well, the data says..." person. Massive evidence directly in his face and it makes no impact.

Moria is the ultimate, "Well, the data says..." person. Massive evidence directly in his face and it makes no impact.
He’s also the guy who would go “Sure, the data might say that, but I feel like…”

Lol

and after he becomes king of the spies and privateers, he’d become the king of the pirates

And in the meantime, Sakamoto is indoctrinating his magical boys to attack Jerusalem as his regime is compromised by China Lmao
Moria about to send everyone to look for the One Piece

The dominoes certainly are falling for Jerusalem in their own turf, and while I do love this portrayal of Mozzafar as a more grey character only doing what he has to do due to the will of the people and to ensure Persia is kept safe, his decisions will eventually come to bite him. Julius certainly is shaping up to be that formidable opponent in the shadows. Makes me giddy that all of this political intrigue is still going on in the background of what's essentially a massive war.

The dominoes certainly are falling for Jerusalem in their own turf, and while I do love this portrayal of Mozzafar as a more grey character only doing what he has to do due to the will of the people and to ensure Persia is kept safe, his decisions will eventually come to bite him. Julius certainly is shaping up to be that formidable opponent in the shadows. Makes me giddy that all of this political intrigue is still going on in the background of what's essentially a massive war.
As a certain cigarette smoking guy once said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Interesting how both Mozaffar and Henrich are forced into roles they don't want and choose to bare all responsibilities for unfortunate acts they are forced to make for the greater good of their nations. Reminds me of characters like Wilhelm Karl who have been forced to play roles they didn't want, as well as themes like that in Code Geass, particularly how Lelouch and Suzaku choose to bare all responsibilities for their sins and past mistakes in Zero Requiem.

It will be interesting to see Julian's reaction to Mozaffar not being the selfish authoritarian he thinks he is. There's a lot of ways that could go.
As a certain cigarette smoking guy once said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I know the Smoking Man is most likely long dead by this point, but if imagine if he lived long enough to see the fates of X-Division, how would he react to that and the rise of the Committee.

Also the end of Caesaropapism has been coming for a long time and I'm happy that Anatolios took that step. I guess the sliver lining behind Jerusalem coming to power is that the last remnant of feudalism, the Kaiser's absolute secular and religious powers, will come to an end one with Jerusalem way or another.

Last edited:
Interesting how both Mozaffar and Han are forced into roles they don't want and choose to bare all responsibilities for unfortunate acts they are forced to make for the greater good of their nations. Reminds me of characters like Wilhelm Karl who have been forced to play roles they didn't want, as well as themes like that in Code Geass
I’m not sure Han was being forced to do anything. He’s done everything he did himself and actually claimed more credit than he deserves for stuff like killing Wilhelm Karl.
It will be interesting to see Julian's reaction to Mozaffar not being the selfish authoritarian he thinks he is. There's a lot of ways that could go.
Julian’s in for a rude awakening when he realizes his core assumptions his entire plan revolves around aren’t even true.
I know the Smoking Man is most likely long dead by this point, but if imagine if he lived long enough to see the fates of X-Division, how would he react to that and the rise of the Committee.
He’d probably say something about how he was right, but he would also respect their sacrifice for the ideals they believed in. It was a lot like how he made many sacrifices for what he thought was the protection of humanity against the Jotun aliens. As for the committee himself, he’d complain they’re operating out in the open, instead of in the shadows, and being absolutely incompetent.
Also the end of Caesaropapism has been coming for a long time and I'm happy that Anatolios took that step. I guess the sliver lining behind Jerusalem coming to power is that the last remnant of feudalism, the Kaiser's absolute secular and religious powers, will come to an end one with Jerusalem way or another.
It had to be done eventually.

I’m not sure Han was being forced to do anything. He’s done everything he did himself and actually claimed more credit than he deserves for stuff like killing Wilhelm Karl.
Wait, I said Han? I meant to say Henrich. Well I just obliterated my comment and the point I was making by accident in that case then. Sorry that I was born stupid. :p

Wait, I said Han? I meant to say Henrich. Well I just obliterated my comment and the point I was making by accident in that case then. Sorry that I was born stupid. :p
Okay, Heinrich then. Yeah, good point, he’s just as forced onto a script as, say, Frederica. Even Wilhelmina was in this situation earlier in her arc.

Oof. All the times that Heinrich was trying to watch over Wilhelm Karl, trying to warn him only to realize that Wilhelm lost control long ago. It’s a real shame.
Not only that, but Heinrich himself wasn’t that better off.

Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

Hagia Sophia, Constantinople - May 29

The day of the synod finally arrived, and Hagia Sophia had been prepared accordingly. All of the patriarchs and bishops sat at tables arranged in a circle against the walls of the church, in line with the principles of autocephaly. Unlike with previous synods held in the last century, the attendees were only from within Jerusalem, for obvious reasons. Still, every major leader within the Church had managed to show up, and they were all now crammed inside. They technically didn’t have to to come—Anatolios was going to record and broadcast the whole thing online and through traditional media, at least until Jerusalem caught on.

A herald stepped up to the podium at the center of the circle of tables. “Presenting His Apostolic Holiness, primus inter pares, the Ecumenical Patrich Anatolios.” He made way for Anatolios. Everybody’s idle chatter died down as he took to the podium.

“Thank you,” Anatolios said, “I am glad that so many of you have arrived for the synod today. Although it pains me that our brethren outside of Jerusalem declined to join us, I hope that they will eventually realize the momentous work we will accomplish today.

“Mother Church rejoices that, by the singular gift of Divine Providence, the long awaited day has finally dawned when this Ecumenical Council—” Anatolios had told Moria and the Regency that he was holding a synod. But his real goal was to hold an Ecumenical Council, which would use the combined legitimacy of leaders from the entire Church—or at least Jerusalem—to set overall Church doctrine and policy. In the past, it had been used to set the core tenets of the faith. The first council, held at Nicaea in the fourth century, discussed the divinity of Christ. In the seventeenth century, the Council of Sich—which had also been called a synod by Anatolios’ predecessor Niketas at the time—had ruled the Third Iconoclasm as a heresy, with disastrous results. “—is solemnly opened here, in this Church of the Holy Wisdom. These councils prove the vigor and resilience of the Orthodox Church. In calling this vast assembly of bishops, this latest and humble successor to the Ecumenical Patriarchate who is addressing you intends to discuss several matters relating to the future of the Church as it relates to Jerusalem. It is natural that in opening this council we should look to the past and listen to the voices of our many predecessors. These are venerable voices, dating back to the very beginnings of the faith, which have handed down their wisdom to those councils and to us. They are voices which proclaim in perennial fervor the triumph of that divine and human institution, the Church of Christ, which from Jesus takes its name, its grace, and its meaning.

“Side by side with these motives for spiritual enlightenment, however, a cloud of sorrows and hardship have hung over the Church for two thousand years. Not without reason in the Gospel of Luke did Simeon announce to Mary, Theotokos, the prophecy which has been and is still true: ‘Behold this child is set for the fall and the resurrection of many in Israel, and for a sign which shall be contradicted.’ And Jesus Himself, when He grew up, clearly foresaw the manner in which the world would treat His person through the succeeding centuries: ‘He who hears you, hears me.’” It would have been natural to next lead into the verse “He who is not with me is against me and he who does not gather with me scatters,” but that was exactly the message he was trying to avoid. “The great problem confronting this world two thousand and thirty-nine years after the birth of Christ remains unchanged. Christ is ever resplendent in the center of history and of life. The Church is supposed to provide light, goodness, order, and peace.” His tone hardened. “However, that is not the case at the moment.”

Murmurs rose up from the assembled bishops. He had caused quite the stir.

“Since November, this world has been engulfed in the fiercest war mankind has ever known. Jerusalem has positioned itself as the sole defender of Christ and His message of goodwill against the heathens of the world. In doing so, it has aligned itself with the Church to advance its message. This message is as follows: ‘He who is not with me is against me and he who does not gather with me scatters.’ For Jerusalem, either humans are with it and the Church, or they are without and against it and the Church. This gives rise to confusion and bitterness, which give rise to terrible wars like the one we are in.”

Some bishops murmured their agreement with that message. Others stayed silent.

“What if this was not the right course of action, though? The Church’s goal is to advance and protect the ideals of Christ. To love thy neighbor, to do unto others as they would do until you, to be meek.” He had to go all the way. “Would Christ, in his boundless love, call on His followers to slaughter and kill those who do not believe in him?”

“Yes!” some cried out. Others shook their heads.

“Who really sets this doctrine, the Church or Jerusalem? Jerusalem claims to represent the will of God on Earth, through the Regency. But this does not change the fact that Jerusalem is made up of flawed individuals. Mortals, like any other. Memento mori—remember that you will die. In their ever expanding bid to destroy the heathens of the world, they have lost sight of that humility. They have dedicated their lives to wanton destruction, not even conversion. Is this what Christ wants? A mountain of corpses dedicated in His name?”

The same mixed response as before.

“Ecumenical councils, whenever they are assembled, are a solemn celebration of the union of Christ and His Church, and hence lead to the universal radiation of truth, to the proper guidance of individuals in domestic and social life, to the strengthening of spiritual energies for a perennial uplift toward real and everlasting goodness. We aim to discuss peace, not further violence. Celebrate life, not death. Christ would have wanted us to love the sinner and the heathen, so that they may eventually find their path to God, not be condemned to death or spurred to hatred against us. We must look within ourselves and ask the questions we were supposed to ask…” There was no going back. “Were we wrong? Was Jerusalem wrong?”

The cathedral came alive with a cacophony of outrage, just as he expected.

“I did not misspeak. I mean every bit of what I say. We must reevaluate many of the doctrines we held as law, some of which haven’t been addressed in two thousand years. In light of changing times, the Church must evolve. Illuminated by the light of this council, the Church, I hope, will redeem itself spiritually from the decadence it has fallen into. We pride ourselves on being shepherds of our flock, but we must not forget that there can be wolves in sheep’s clothing. We must recognize these wolves when they seek to deliver us into the temptation of the Devil and eliminate them without fear. By bringing the Church up to date where required, we will truly inch closer to establishing the kingdom of God on Earth. And thus, the holding of this council becomes a motive for the wholehearted thanksgiving to the Giver of every good gift.

“Over the course of my time as primus inter pares, I have frequently had to listen, much to my regret, to the voices of those who are fearful of the future. In these times, they can see nothing but ruin and desolation. They say that we, as a species, have been regressing, instead of progressing. And to them, I say…they are absolutely correct.”

Another round of outrage. People were starting to angrily bang on their tables.

“Today, the Church is caught in its greatest crisis ever. I am not talking about the crusade that Jerusalem wages in its name, the final war against the heathens. I am not talking about the alleged heretics that wish for the downfall of this Church from within Jerusalem, which Berlin has violently suppressed in every city. No, I am talking about the wolf in sheep’s clothing that is Jerusalem itself.”

“Heretic! Liar! Traitor!” came the cries from the crowd.

“It has been Church doctrine for nine centuries, ever since Saint Wilhelmina mended the Schism, that God’s chosen representative on Earth, the head of the Church, should be the Kaiser. It was upheld by the Council of Sich, which repudiated the Third Iconoclasm. It has proved no problem throughout the centuries and countless imperial successions. Yet today, the powers of the imperial throne have fallen into the hands of men wholly unqualified to serve God. They claim to be humble servants of God, but they twist the teachings of Christ for their own selfish desires. They say they return humanity to a past era of glory, as though they have learned nothing from history. They behave as though a mythical golden age in a past of their imagination was a full triumph for the Christian idea and life and for proper religious liberty. They hide behind excuses of religious liberty and freedom in a sinister bid to silence their opponents and broker no dissent to their narrow view of our faith. Furthermore, they use caesaropapism as a way to exert secular political control over the Church, suborning God’s flock, dedicated solely to celebrating God’s message, to the selfish desires of men. We, as one church, must repudiate this message of gloom and pessimism, which has led the world to ruin, if not to its very end. We must reevaluate the doctrine of caesaropapism, for it is impeding on the independence of the Church and its ability to fulfill its spiritual duty. Just as the other patriarchs are not subordinate to me, so too must the Church not be subordinate to any temporal authority. We should not concern ourselves with the affairs of mortal men, and the same goes in reverse. The Gospel of Matthew tells us, ‘The Lord your God shall you worship, and Him only shall you serve.’”

Amidst the chaos, he heard a few shouts of approval, as well as claps. There were some who had gained the bravery to voice their agreement. Anatolios gained the determination to continue.

“The greatest concern of the council is this: that the sacred deposit of Christian doctrine be reevaluated and updated, to reflect the times we are in. That doctrine embraces the whole of man, both body and soul, and all men, Christian or not. As we are all pilgrims in this world, that doctrine also leads us to tend always toward heaven. This demonstrates how our lives should be lived in such a way as to be both citizens of Earth and Heaven and thus attain the purpose of life as established by God. In carrying out a program of wanton slaughter, they have disregarded and repudiated the purpose of life. They have broken the Ten Commandments, which tell us ‘You shall not kill,’ among others. We must protest against the indiscriminate murder of innocent persons both faithful and heathen. We protest the policies of ethnic cleansing and state sponsored murder carried out within Jerusalem’s borders, for these policies of eugenics usurp from God His authority as the ultimate arbiter of life and death. We must protest the unlawful seizure of personal property by the state, for what happens to personal property can also happen to any church property. We must protest Jerusalem’s narrative of what Christianity is, for they seek to rewrite the very faith itself and what it stands for to serve their own selfish desires. The duty of Christianity is that of service, not domination. There is no room for conquest.”

He leaned over the podium. “We must protest this war itself. It is unjust and un-Christian. It goes against everything Christ stands for. The kingdom of God will never come about in the way Jerusalem wants. It is time we realized that and separated ourselves from the wolves.”

“TREASON!” many shouted.

But his supporters had become more vocal. “He speaks the truth! Walk in the light of Christ, not the darkness of the Devil!”

“We must go back to our roots. We must return the Church to its original purpose. Not as the mouthpiece of Jerusalem, but as the loving mother of all; benign, patient, full of mercy and goodness toward the lost sheep of the world. To mankind, currently oppressed by so many difficulties, the Church says, as Saint Peter said to the poor who begged alms from him in the Acts of the Apostles: ‘I have neither gold nor silver, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise and walk.’ The Church must not offer earthly riches—money, power, military strength, fleeting glory—but the goods of a divine grace, which aids toward a more human life, dignified as God wishes. It is a source of considerable sorrow to see that so many of those who consider themselves Christian no longer adhere to the values that Christ believed in. It is the duty of the Church, whose light illuminates all, to lead these lost sheep back on the right path and eliminate the wolves who have led them astray.”

Anatolios raised his hands up, ignoring the angry shouts from his detractors. “Almighty God, in You we humbly place all of our confidence. Look down upon these priests of the Church. May the light of Your grace aid us in taking decisions and making laws. Graciously hear the prayers we pour forth to You in unanimity of faith, voice, and mind. O Mary, Theotokos, dispose of all things for a happy and propitious outcome with thy spouse, Saint Joseph. The holy apostles Peter and Paul, Saint John the Baptist and John the Evangelist, intercede for us to God. And finally, to Jesus Christ, our most amiable Redeemer—”

“That will be enough.” Moria’s voice echoed over the intercoms.

Everybody instantly shut up. Anatolios looked around, trying to see where the voice came from.

“Don’t bother,” Moria said, “I’m not even in this church. Or the city, for that matter.”

“Moria, we are in the middle of a synod,” Anatolios said, “Please stay out of—”

“—your treason?” Moria said. “Oh, please, I’ve been listening in on you since you started yammering on about wolves and sheep and protests. Seriously, I thought better of you, Anatolios. I thought your comments during that last triumph were just disappointment about how we organized it. It pains me to know you were truly treasonous, taking advantage of your connections to us to build an army. Tell me this was all a joke.”

Anatolios dropped the act. It was no longer necessary. “My only mistake was that I didn’t see this sooner. That I didn’t do anything about it sooner. You have perverted the good name of the Church, of the faith, of the Lord Himself. And for that, you must be condemned to the deepest depths of hell itself!”

“You’re one to talk,” Moria said, “You’re not a moral paragon yourself. Were you living under a rock for the last nine years? Were you just that dumb? Or did you really believe us at first? You’ve seen what we’ve done since Jerusalem was proclaimed. So why did it take you until now to grow a spine, old man?”

“I’ll be the first to admit it here,” Anatolios said, “I was wrong.”

“Wrong?”

“I thought CB and the committee was the best way to revitalize the faith in the modern era. I didn’t know the full extent of your plans until it was too late, and by then I was in too deep to back out. I could have backed out at any time, but I didn’t. Another failure on my part. I should have known that saving the Church would never be that easy. The only thing that path leads to is the selling of our souls to the Devil. We’ve all condemned ourselves to hell, whether we like it or not. We’ve all been led astray by the wolf in sheep’s clothing. And you are that wolf.”

Moria laughed. “Many of your own flock don’t think so. They think you’re a traitor, rightfully so.”

“They are lost sheep, and I am still their shepherd. It’s my duty to lead them back on the right path, whether they want to or not.”

“So…you’re just like us, then,” Moria said, “Whether they want to or not. That’s exactly what we’re doing with Jerusalem. Setting people on the right path of Reinstaat, whether they want to or not.”

“I want nothing to do with your twisted political ideology,” Anatolios said, “You wrap your murderous doctrine in the wool of religion to lead the people astray. You exalt yourselves above the Lord Himself when you decide to play God with the people’s very lives. Your callous disregard for the sanctity of life created in God’s image is reprehensible. Your hubris and arrogance will be your downfall. Those who exalt themselves will be humbled, as the Lord says, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

“You think you’re exempt from that? You think you can get away that easily? Everything you say I have done, the same goes for yourself.”

Anatolios nodded. “I won’t deny that. I’m as much a sinner as you are. But I’ll take solace knowing that when I go to hell, I’m taking you all with me.”

“Are you sure about that?” Moria replied.

“Yes.”

There was a pause. Then Moria laughed again. “Why don’t you check the cabinet in your podium?”

Below the stand on which he had put his papers, there was a door which the technicians would open if they wanted to adjust the microphone, recording device, or streaming software. Anatolios opened the door and found a large beeping cylindrical device inside, with what looked like a timer on top. It was counting down.

It was a nuclear warhead.

“Do you like my gift?” Moria said. “I knew exactly what you were planning from the moment you announced you were holding a synod. I’m not going to let the opportunity go to waste, so not only did I take the opportunity to eliminate you here but also anybody else within the Church that could possibly oppose me. And not only that, but the very fact that the entire Church got nuked right in the heart of Constantinople will no doubt look like a Chinese attack. With you as a martyr, the people will rally behind Jerusalem and the Regency and recommit themselves to the war.”

“You monsters!” Anatolios spat.

Behind him, the other bishops and patriarchs also voiced their opinions.

“Traitor!”

“Heretic!”

“How dare you!”

“Turn that thing off!”

“I’ve done nothing but serve Jerusalem, my Regent! Spare me!”

“We are loyal to Jerusalem!”

“I don’t want to die!”

“Don't kid yourselves, you deluded old men,” Moria said, “No matter your loyalties yesterday, you all made the decision to attend Anatolios’ traitorous synod. And for that, you’ll all be given a traitors’ fate. There is no redemption for traitors.”

The timer entered its final stretch. It wouldn’t be long now.

“Got any last words, traitors?” Moria said.

“Yes, I do,” Anatolios said, holding his head high, “You say there’s no redemption for traitors.”

“Correct.”

“That is about the most un-Christian thing I’ve ever heard come out of your mouth.”

“And why’s that? There is no way a traitor can come back from what they did. They committed the ultimate crime. Why wouldn’t you punish them?”

“Because Christ didn’t,” Anatolios said, “Jesus kept the company of sinners and outcasts. Lepers, prostitutes, debtors, sinners, Samaritans, tax collectors, anybody. He didn’t exclude anybody from His message. He loved all. Isn’t that love the foundation of our faith? That God has nothing but unconditional love for us all. God is love. That is the new commandment Jesus gives us in the Gospel of John: ‘I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.’ Everybody deserves love, even the worst traitors. Everybody has the innate potential for redemption. It doesn’t matter how far you’ve fallen. You can always choose to climb back into the light.”

“What, even me?” Moria said. “Do I deserve love and redemption, in your view?”

“Yes.” Anatolios didn’t hesitate. “You may have done reprehensible things, but if you admit your mistakes and seek to make amends for them, then God will forgive you.”

Moria cackled again. “What a load of skata! You’re starting to sound like the woke left we cancelled years ago! You misunderstand me. I don’t need forgiveness from God. I know what I’ve done. I don’t care if it’s righteous or not. It will serve God anyways. That’s all that matters. I don’t need redemption. I don’t need love. That’s just the talk of cowards who don’t know the realities of this world. Softies like the left who would deny reality because they were jealous of those who saw the truth. All that can go to hell! All I’ve done, I’ve done for God! When I’m through with this war, the kingdom of heaven that awaits will be one that is most deserving of Christ! So to hell with your offer of redemption, you cowardly traitor! Because it means nothing to me!”

Anatolios looked down, disappointed. I should have expected this much cynicism from a former RSB agent. He embodies Jerusalem in almost every respect. It’s quite terrifying. “I should have known you would say that.”

“Are you going to beg for the lives of the others in the room?”

Anatolios looked around, seeing the same sentiment on everyone’s faces. Most had bowed their heads, making the signs of the cross or clasping their hands in a final prayer. Others had already fled the building, though it would be impossible to escape the blast radius on foot. “I will. And what about the others in this city? They’re innocent, so why get them killed for something I did?”

“You’ve got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette, Anatolios,” Moria said.

“Disarm the nuke,” Anatolios said, “You can kill me some other way. But spare the people.”

Another cackle came over the intercom. “Seriously, do you really think I’m that stupid? No way am I going to pass up on such a great opportunity. No, Anatolios, you’re going to die here, right where you stand. Cry about it all you want, but that’s the truth, you woke snowflake.”

Anatolios said nothing. He sighed. Well, I tried. But he’s just too deep in the Devil’s clutches.

“How does that make you feel, Anatolios, triggering you like that?” Moria taunted. “Are you mad? Coping and seething because you know I’m absolutely right and you’re just jealous? Or have you given in to despair, knowing you are about to be sent to hell?”

Anatolios smirked. “On the contrary, I won’t have to deal with you anymore. If you reject God’s love and hang on to that deluded fantasy of what you think God wants, then I won’t stop you. God gave us free will, after all. He will ultimately decide our ends. If this is the end God has given me, then it’s my end. I won’t delay it with pointless groveling and fealty to the wolves. I just trust that God will swiftly deliver you to the end you deserve.” He defiantly grabbed the microphone. “And if I’m going to hell, I can take solace in the fact that you’ll be following me there soon! ‘Woe to those who decree inquitous decrees, and the writers who keep writing oppression, so turn aside the needy from justice and to rob the poor of my people their right, that widows may be their spoil, and that they may make the fatherless their prey!’”

The timer reached zero. A split second later, Anatolios, the Orthodox Church, Hagia Sophia, and all of Constantinople were wiped off the face of the planet.

Berlin

The video feed to Hagia Sophia cut off. Moria turned off his tablet and threw it against the wall, where it shattered into a dozen pieces. “That’s what you get, you modern Pharisees! Woke Marxist rats! Snakes, devils, heretics! Jews! Muslims!” He could no longer trust the Church. It was rotten to the core. There was no benefit keeping it around anymore. They were just another extension of the party cartel, one which was smart enough to survive this long. Well, not anymore. Anatolios was correct in a way. The Church needed to be revitalized. But not in the way that old fool suggested. No, Moria knew what needed to be done. He would be its new Saint Peter, a guiding leader to set the Church on the right path and purge everything until only the true believers in Jerusalem’s cause remained. Even the Bible itself could be purged, if it was in the interest of God and the faith. He took out his notebook and scribbled a new decree.

"All ordained clergy of the Church are to be sentenced to death for treason and heresy. THEY MUST ALL DIE! DEATH TO THE TRAITORS! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!”

Nuremberg - May 30

“Heretics and heathens can never be forgiven for their crimes!” the Home Guardian commander shouted, pacing back and forth across the street intersection, a torch in his hand. “To forgive them is to further engulf the light of humanity in the darkness of their wicked souls, tainted by the Devil! For these traitors against humanity, death alone will not suffice to purge their evil from this world. We must burn the wickedness out of them, so that the souls of the faithful will be purified as well! The weeds of deviancy must be uprooted from their roots!”

He stopped in front of a giant stake, around which firewood doused in oil had been piled. Nuremberg hadn’t known burnings at the stake in many years—after the initial fervor from Red Christmas died down, the regime switched to quieter methods of execution. The day after Moria issued his order, though, the Home Guardians brought them back out. The first victim would be a local priest, Father Braun.

“Hear me!” Braun shouted. “The Regents are the true heretics! They are murderers, traitors to God and humanity! Please, my fellow Jerusalemites—no, Romans! Find the courage to rise up and cast out the tyrants in Berlin! Their hate can never overcome God’s unconditional love! God is love!”

“Silence!” The commander slammed the stock of his rifle into Braun’s jaw, dislodging several teeth. “Heretic Braun, for the crime of heresy against God and His Chosen Regents, I consign you to death by fire! May the gates of hell claim you, sinner!” He tossed the torch on the firewood, and it erupted into flames. The priest refused to scream. Instead, he held his head high in one last act of defiance.

“‘Woe to those who decree inquitous decrees, and the writers who keep writing oppression, so turn aside the needy from justice and to rob the poor of my people their right, that widows may be their spoil, and that they may make the fatherless their prey!’”

From the back of the crowd, Frederica watched quietly as the priest died. She couldn’t believe what she was being forced to witness. The killings were only just ramping up. She feared it was still only getting started. No, it wasn’t fear she was feeling. It was…anger. She had lost so much this month. How could she ever go back to what Jerusalem considered normal?

No, she couldn’t. They had taken enough from her and Sigmund. There was no going back to Jerusalem’s script. Surely the people around her were thinking the same thing.

It’s time we fought back.

Baghdad - June 4

For the first time in over eight hundred years, the Persian flag flew over Baghdad. Or rather, the Persian and Yavdian flags flying side by side. After taking Mosul, Börte swept into the former provincial capital, giving its defenders no time to recover from the devastation caused by the Mosul Dam flooding. The enemy was easily shattered and routed. Baghdad’s liberation meant every major city in eastern Mesopotamia had fallen. They were now free to push into Syria and Anatolia. Damascus, Antioch, Aleppo, and the city of Jerusalem itself were now within reach. The entire Middle East was now exposed, and if Arabia fell, then Jerusalem would lose its land connection to North Africa, giving the Malians and Abyssinians an edge on that particular front. Then that left only Europe proper to handle. Konstantinov was already handling Eastern Europe—a day ago, he had taken Lublin, and soon Lemberg would also be liberated.

Not caring about any of that, Samir trudged through the muddy streets of what was once downtown Baghdad. The city had never been rebuilt after the first time Mosul Dam flooded. Most of its population was killed after Red Christmas, and the rest fled to Persia. For the last four years, Baghdad was effectively a ghost town. The only major human presence was a Crusader base set up in downtown, but that had been destroyed during Börte’s attack. The sidewalk under Samir’s feet were covered in a thick layer of mud. The townhomes around him were riddled with bullet holes and no longer had windows. Almost every building he saw would be condemned should there still be municipal authorities to enforce building codes.

The cruelty of Jerusalem is on full display, Samir thought, Yet we’re fighting a different enemy that’s just as sinister. The Persian government is out to destroy us. They consider us expendable. But what do we do against an enemy that’s also our only hope of defeating Jerusalem?

Having finished his patrol, he returned to base. Gulichi, Leyla, Billy, and Ruby were all gathered at a table, playing cards.

“Ah, our esteemed scimitar-waving philosopher is back,” Gulichi said, “Just the usual?”

“Yes.” Samir slumped into the chair. “Nothing.”

Gulichi handed several one dinar coins to Ruby. “I swear, one of these days, Samir might just seek out some Crusader stragglers so I win.”

“Your fault for always betting on something happening,” Leyla said.

“Hey! I can’t stand doing nothing all day! I didn’t leave my village to play cards in an abandoned diner!”

“I’m sure Börte and that aide of hers are thinking of something,” Billy said.

“Say, why are we here while she’s over there?”

“To avoid the appearance of favoritism, I presume,” Leyla said, “We’re still the Liberation Legion’s 53rd Battalion, after all. There’s no reason for random soldiers like us to be close to her all the time.”

“To Samir’s dismay,” Gulichi said.

“Gulichi!” Samir raised a fist.

“Oh, what are you going to do Samir, stab me with the tyrant’s blade?” Gulichi mimicked behing run through with a sword. “Oh, how scary!”

“Honestly, though, I do feel a little frustrated,” Samir said, “Not that we’re here and Börte’s not, but that we’re here and people elsewhere are fighting against our real enemies.”

“There you go again about that class war thing,” Billy said.

“For the last time, Billy, it’s not a class war,” Samir said, “It’s that this war is only reinforcing the hierarchies of the past, and defeating Jerusalem will change very little in how society is run. The same people will still be at the top, dictating our lives like feudal lords.”

“So…class war. Like what those equalists are saying?”

“I’m not an equalist, Billy! Never was!”

Billy laughed. “I kid, I kid. Look, Samir, you do make some valid points. But I think you’re getting way too invested in this whole idea.”

“Börte thinks the same as I do, and Gulichi and Leyla too,” Samir said, “Right?”

“Yeah,” Gulichi said, “The world outside Takomaan is nothing like it. We didn’t have any trouble at our village until the tyrant Bielke brought it with him. But everywhere I go, I see the same story, of more Otso Bielkes trampling on more Takomaans, and we aren’t there to save them.”

“But we could, though,” Leyla said, “I saved us at the citadel. So who’s to say we can’t save more people?”

“What can you do, though?” Ruby said. “We’re still fighting a war. If you just leave now, it won’t accomplish anything. It might even undo the advances we’ve made.”

“Advances will mean nothing if the old order returns once the war’s over,” Samir said, “We need to address the real threat to human freedom: the Persian government, and all others like it. Mozaffar’s only one cog in that machine. It includes others—the rest of the Majlis, their financial backers, the people tricked into thinking it’s all business as usual, even the monarchy itself.”

“You’re not seriously advocating for all that, are you?” Billy looked a little concerned.

“If they are opposed to the continued freedom of the people, then yes, I must oppose them.”

Ruby also looked worried. “You know…why don’t you let that sit for a while, just think about it?”

Samir stared at her. “Well, I’ve been thinking about this for the entire war. I’ve already sat on it, and this is what I’ve come up with.”

“Have you organized it, though?” Gulichi said.

“Organized it?” Samir said. “I’ve only thought about it.”

“Why don’t you write it down?” Leyla took out a notepad. “Collect your thoughts.”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea,” Billy said, “Reading your own words is very different from thinking about it. You might get a whole new perspective.”

Does he think seeing my own words in text will change my mind? “Moderate” my views? That won’t happen. It’ll just organize my thoughts. Make myself more consistent. And if I publish it…

“What if you write a book about our experiences?” Ruby said. “When this war’s over, there will be people looking for stories about those who fought in it.”

“As well more people like Mozaffar,” Leyla said, “We need to make sure their narratives don’t go unchallenged.”

That’s true. The sooner I publish something, the faster I can set a narrative. A narrative with the truth. Samir nodded. “Very good point.”

“Why don’t you get started right now, then?” Leyla handed a notepad and pencil to him. “While the experiences are still fresh in your mind.”

Samir took the notepad. “Might as well.”

“Who knows?” Gulichi said. “Maybe our experiences will inspire more people to follow us.”

---

And speaking of comically evil…

• 2Love
Reactions:
The timer reached zero. A split second later, Anatolios, the Orthodox Church, Hagia Sophia, and all of Constantinople were wiped off the face of the planet.
Constantine the Great and Justinian weep, for the Queen of Cities, and its crown jewel of a church is no more. Well, I suppose there's always Nicaea should any remnants of the Orthodox Church remain. But yeah, what a tragic turn of events. Anatolios gave a 'reason you suck' speech at least, kinda reminds me of a portion of Fire and Blood where a spoiler character I won't mention yet if any of you haven't read it yet and are either tuning in for HOTD season 2 or planning to read F&B, all I can say is the character was also a religious character, and he made a speech to several main characters in the dance of them joining him in the Seven Hells in the span of a single year. It's optimistic to think if the Committee will perish in the same year as the Orthodox church did but maybe there's still a spark to that.

Plus I reckon killing off the priests will not bode well for the citizens, Home Guardians be damned.

Btw, I have a feeling Samir's writings will be very important to the final arc before we transition to Stellaris, which will definitely be rebuilding. Hell, as someone who's way into the very deep lore of a gacha game I'm playing that also featured aliens and alien relics being thrown around, I got a bit of a guess that a Neo Soviet Commune will rise from all of this, one that's in like with Samir's way of thinking.

Reactions:
Damn, even Constinople got nuked. Next thing you know, Jerusalem will be performing the Nero Decree with nuclear weapons, or pulling a Khmer Rouge by saying all cities are dens of hersey and should be abandoned and destroyed. Anatolios fought well, but it was too little too late to save the church.

We’re seeing Samir become more radicalized towards a revolutionary cause. That could be cause for concern if he turns against Wilhelmina because he sees monarchy as inherently tyrannical, but let’s see if his ideas amount to something coherent he can act on.

I take it Mount Athos will be destroyed by the Committee at this point now that even the Orthodox Church has been declared heretical.

Also, do the liberation legion not have to worry about radiation in Baghdad, considering it was nuked in 2037?

Last edited:
Constantine the Great and Justinian weep, for the Queen of Cities, and its crown jewel of a church is no more. Well, I suppose there's always Nicaea should any remnants of the Orthodox Church remain.
For once, Constantinople was destroyed by someone who isn’t a Dandolo.
Anatolios gave a 'reason you suck' speech at least, kinda reminds me of a portion of Fire and Blood where a spoiler character I won't mention yet if any of you haven't read it yet and are either tuning in for HOTD season 2 or planning to read F&B, all I can say is the character was also a religious character, and he made a speech to several main characters in the dance of them joining him in the Seven Hells in the span of a single year.
Still making my way through the F&B book at the moment, but from what you say he does sound pretty similar to Anatolios.
Plus I reckon killing off the priests will not bode well for the citizens, Home Guardians be damned.
Who would have thought killing the CHRISTIAN clergy of a CHRISTIAN theocracy would go well with the CHRISTIAN population?
Btw, I have a feeling Samir's writings will be very important to the final arc before we transition to Stellaris, which will definitely be rebuilding. Hell, as someone who's way into the very deep lore of a gacha game I'm playing that also featured aliens and alien relics being thrown around, I got a bit of a guess that a Neo Soviet Commune will rise from all of this, one that's in like with Samir's way of thinking.
As he would tell you, Samir’s not an equalist, but something else entirely.
Damn, even Constinople got nuked. Next thing you know, Jerusalem will be performing the Nero Decree with nuclear weapons, or pulling a Khmer Rouge by saying all cities are dens of hersey and should be abandoned and destroyed. Anatolios fought well, but it was too little too late to save the church.
Let’s hope his final words inspires more successful people.
I take it Mount Athos will be destroyed by the Committee at this point now that even the Orthodox Church has been declared heretical.
Haven’t mentioned it in this batch but yeah, it’s doomed.
Also, do the liberation legion not have to worry about radiation in Baghdad, considering it was nuked in 2037?
Radiation from standard nuclear detonations in the air isn’t really that intense, and it dissipates pretty quickly. It’s why Hiroshima and Nagasaki became safe to live in within a couple years. Contrast that to detonations closer to the ground like the US nuclear tests, which does irradiate the ground and surrounding areas for many decades.

Samir is going Progressive, and “Woke” in rejection of equalism while fighting against Jerusalem.

It seems like Jerusalem is going to destroy Russia, Livonia, Yadvi, and Scandinavia before advancing into China and Persia

Sumatra is lost to The Syrivijaya

The Japanese regime is feeling the boot of Han and is getting humiliated by Korean soldiers. What’s wrong Divine Regent? Don’t you believe in protection from the Empire.

Sakamoto: Being “protected” by the Koreans… it’s a fate worse than death…

Guess Moria is about to establish the Eastboros Purist Church (created by him in Livonia) as the official state religion of Jerusalem isn’t he.

Does Vanguard (Teh Company) and Blackrock exist in TTL?

Last edited: