The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eh, I have a feeling that Penglai is about as useful to Jerusalem as Mussolini's Italy was to Nazi Germany, especially after its navy was wiped out by Ryukyu.
Penglai still has its fleets assigned to coastal defense…for now.

But yeah, Jerusalem couldn’t care less for Penglai. While Elias was personal friends with Zhao, the other regents had a “you will die last” view of Penglai. They were a useful pawn to take out the loyalists and keep China busy in the Pacific. Jerusalem wouldn’t waste resources propping them up when they have other things to focus on.
Speaking of Japan, I just remembered an Anime movie called Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, and I think you could use some stuff from there for inspiration for the Japan arc. Since Sakamoto used Jerusalem's funding, weapons and equipment to conquer all of Japan, I could see him using Jerusalemite tech to eventually developing something like the Power Armor used in the movie, which inspired similar amour in the new Wolfenstein games and Killzone, to crack down on protests.
Could be something to consider. More power armor and mechs is always cool, after all.

Shoe on Concrete

Kuhpayeh Refugee Camp - April 13

Ilyana set up a line of wood chips on the other side of the table. Shirin looked confused. “What are you doing?”

“It’s called shagaa,” Ilyana said, “I learned it in Yavdi.”

She held up another wood chip. “To win, you flick this and hit as many of those as you can!”

“Really?” Shirin said. “Can I try?”

Ilyana handed her the wood chip. “Sure!”

Ilyana and her two friends had nothing better to do. Most of the adults had already been allowed back into Isfahan, as were most of the Persians in the refugee camp, but she and Friedrich had been held back for some reason. Ilyana asked around, but none of the adults would give her a straight answer. Nor did they tell her anything about Wilhelmina.

Shirin set down the chip on the table, steadied herself, and then flicked with all she could. The chip flew across the table but fell short of the targets. The Persian girl looked down, ashamed. “Aw…I can’t do it.”

Ilyana took the chip back. “Don’t worry, you’ll get better! Just follow my lead.” She readied the chip and prepared her hand. “You got to hold it like this. Get your finger back like this, and…” A flick, and the chip knocked down three targets. “Easy, just like that!”

“Wow, Ilyana!” Shirin said. “You make it look so easy!”

“Nothing you can’t do, with a little practice. I know you can do it, Shirin.” She collected the chip. “Try again.”

Shirin set up the chip again. This time, she positioned her hand just as Ilyana did. She took a deep breath and flicked. A split second later, two targets fell. Shirin’s face lit up. “I did it! Ilyana, I did it!”

Ilyana beamed. “You did it! Great job!”

Suddenly, they heard a crash outside. Ilyana tensed up.

“Ilyana?” Shirin asked. “What was that?”

“I don’t know,” Ilyana said, “Stay here.”

She walked outside. A crowd of Persian kids had gathered in front of their shelter, all surrounding Friedrich. The crash had apparently been caused when the boy had been thrown against a metal garbage can, which had tipped over on top of him. He was now sprawled on the ground, covered in trash.

“Go back to your country!” one of the kids shouted. “We don’t need your goh here!”

Ilyana couldn’t believe the words coming out of these kids’ mouths. Who taught them such bad words? Though I’m not one to complain, with the words Izinchi taught me.

“Stop!” Friedrich pleaded, but all he accomplished was getting a half-rotten banana in his mouth, which he spat out.

“Yeah, goh xordan, like the trash you are!” one of the kids shouted.

“Persia is for Persians, mâdar jende!” A girl who couldn’t have been more than 7 spat on him. “All you’ve done is ruin and destroy our homeland! You’re not welcome here anymore!”

Ilyana walked over, fists clenched. She couldn’t let these insults stand.

“Please!” Friedrich said. “I haven’t done anything to you!”

Ricky, Ricky…when will you ever stand up for yourself again?

One of the Persian boys, who looked about ten, stepped forward and cracked his knuckles. “You did, though! You dishonor our soil with each step you take!”

“But—”

“No buts! This war is all your fault!” The boy tried swinging down at the helpless Friedrich, who cowered and raised his hands to shield his face. He braced for the worst…but it never came. When he opened his eyes again, he saw Ilyana had stopped the boy’s punch with both of her hands.

The boy turned his angry gaze on Ilyana. “Who the frak are you?”

Ilyana refused to even flinch. She glared back with an equal amount of determination and anger. She buried the fear and terror that was rising up within her, focusing her entire mind on a single thought.

You wanted to hurt Ricky.

“Il…Ilyana?” Friedrich said.

You wanted to HURT Ricky.

“Ricky.” Ilyana kept her eyes on the bully. “Get out of here.”

Friedrich quickly got on his feet and ran inside. Ilyana let go of the boy’s fist and stepped back, forming her own fists.

That can’t stand.

“Protecting your boyfriend, huh?” the bully taunted.

Ilyana felt her cheeks burning up, but she suppressed it by focusing on that one thought standing in the way of complete terror and panic. “Nobody touches my little Ricky.”

You will pay.

“What are you going to do?” The bully wrenched his fist out of Ilyana’s hands. “Hit me?”

You WILL pay.

“Yeah, hit him!” the other kids taunted. “Go ahead!”

“I’m going to make you pay,” Ilyana said, in a cold and steely tone.

“You don’t belong here either,” the bully said.

There is no place for you here, scum. Ilyana had picked up a few choice words from the likes of Julian and Samir too, and now she was going to use them.

The boy continued. “You Romans have only brought ruin to Persia for thousands of years. Jerusalem only came here because of you refugees! If not for you, my mom would still be alive!”

“My dad!” the other kids chimed in. “My brother! My sister! My cousin! My grandpa!”

Grandpa… Ilyana tensed up at that word. Her body froze. Her determination briefly broke, allowing the fear to surge forward. Her face wavered, as did her hands. Grandpa…no…I have to…stay determined…for him…

Everybody noticed her hesitation and saw an opportunity to pounce. “Yeah! You don’t know what it’s like to lose someone!”

That was it. Something snapped within Ilyana. Her willpower crumbled, and the terror she was holding back took hold. Memories of that dark day she had tried to forget rushed back to her, bringing with them the feelings she felt then. Her eyes narrowed, and she saw the dead and empty eyes of Vasily staring back at her, his bloodied and bullet-filled body pinning her against the cold floor of the bunker. Grandpa…please don’t leave me…please come back…

But he wouldn’t come back. He would never come back. It was all because of that horrible man with the eyepatch. But instead of Elias Anhorn, she saw the boy standing where he did. That boy had the same smug expression on his face.

Please come back, Grandpa… Tears welled up in her eyes. She wanted to bawl and cry right then and there. There was nothing holding her back too. And yet…she didn’t. Why? Wasn’t she supposed to be terrified? Paralyzed by the memory she had tried to forget? Then why was she so calm now?

I don’t want to be alone…don’t leave me, like Mama and Papa did…

The boy thought he had won. He crossed his arms and cackled, raising his head to look down on her even more than he already was with their difference in height. “So get the frak out of our country and—”

PLEASE COME BACK! Her arm moved on its own. She didn’t realize she was still holding the wood chip until it had buried itself deep in the boy’s face and drew blood. The boy screamed, one hand covering his wound and the other flailing wildly around. The other kids backed away, their smug grins giving way to shock and fear.

Ilyana felt nothing. No fear. No terror. No paralysis. Not even pity as the boy cried out for his mother and begged for the pain to stop. It took her another second to realize she was still feeling something. All that pain she had just been forced to relive was no longer controlling her. No, she was in control, directing it towards a singular thought. She was determined.

I may not have been able to save Grandpa, but I can still save Ricky.

Ilyana knew what she had to do next. After taking control of herself, she now had to take control of her surroundings. She picked up a metal bar that had fallen out of the garbage can. “You made a big mistake picking on my little Ricky.”

“We’re sorry!” one of the other girls pleaded. “We were just repeating what our parents said—”

“Don’t talk over me!” Ilyana struck her across the face. Blood and what looked like a tooth flew out of her mouth. The girl crumpled to the ground with a whimper, and the others instantly shut up. “I am in control here, and you will listen to me! You think you can pick on us because we have no home? Because we don’t speak Persian? You think that gives you the right to insult us and deny us a home?”

“Please!” One of the older boys was also begging now. “Please have mercy on us! We won’t tell anyone!”

Ilyana frowned with disappointment. Cowards, trying to take the easy way out by fleeing. But it was okay. She couldn’t handle them all at once. She was still only one six-year-old girl, after all. And besides, these kids could send a message to any others who might want to harm her or Ricky. “Leave my sight, and never come back.”

The terrified kids helped the injured boy and girl to their feet, and then they all bolted down the road and around a corner. Once she was sure they were gone, Ilyana dropped the bar onto the ground and sighed with relief.

For all their talk, those kids folded really quickly. And to a girl two-thirds their size and age, no less.

She turned around and saw Shirin standing in the doorway, looking shocked.

“Ilyana?” she said. “Are you okay?”

Ilyana tried putting on a smile. “Yeah, Shirin, I’m fine!”

Shirin wasn’t convinced. “There’s blood on your hand.”

Ilyana looked at her hand. There was still some blood from when she stabbed the boy with the wood chip. Even now, she was still surprised that attack was as effective as it was. “So?”

“What did you do to them?”

“I dealt with them,” Ilyana said, “We don’t have to worry about them ever again.”

“Really?” Shirin said. “How?”

“You want to learn how?”

“Yeah! If you can do it, I can too!”

Ilyana smiled and picked up the bar again. “Okay, here’s how…”

Isfahan - April 14

“The Artesh has announced it is closing in on the Roman city of Mosul, in Mesopotamia,” the reporter said, “Mosul is home to a strategic Crusader military base and command center, now the only one after the liberation of Basra. The General Staff believes Persian forces will reach the city limits within two weeks…”

Izinchi scoffed. “They’ve grown confident, they have. Announcing their plans on live telly when they ken Jerusalem’s having a look.”

“There’s a reason they’re doing this,” Julian said.

“And wha’d that be?”

“Think about it.” Julian pointed at the screen. It was now showing a map of the area around Mosul, with neat graphics of troop formations and projected movements. “They publicize an offensive that will take place in two weeks. Jerusalem takes steps to fortify Mosul and prepare for the attack. Our casualties will increase. And you know who’s going to take the brunt of those casualties?” He tapped his finger on the turquoise-colored units at the front of the Artesh formation. “They didn’t put a flag over them, but we all know who’s making up these units.”

“Non-Persians,” Izinchi realized, “Börte’s troops.”

Julian nodded. “They intend to make a spectacle. A reckless and wasteful offensive that Jerusalem wouldn’t expect. They’d be overwhelmed. The city would fall. We’d lose a lot of troops. They’d say they died for Persia. But the truth is, very few of those deaths would have been Persian. They’d have pushed all of their casualties onto our allies. Mozaffar gets his victory and his martyrs with little Persian blood shed. Further proof that his ways work and that he should have more power. He sweeps the examinations on a wave of nationalism and jingoism. Then he’ll have a popular mandate to carry out anything he wants.”

“Including deposing Gunduz?”

“I can’t rule that out now. He’s made no secret of his dislike for Gunduz, and he’s never lifted a finger against the growing republican organizations.”

“Those bloody eejits. D’they ken what they’re daeng?”

“I never took you for an anti-republican,” Julian said, “I would’ve thought this was something you’d be onboard with.”

“It’s…complicated.”

Julian decided not to press the matter further. “Our primary objective will be to prevent Mozaffar from winning the upcoming national examinations.”

“And how d’we dae that?”

“We don’t have the military strength to get rid of him, and even if we did, we’d only be proving his point that we’re anti-meritocratic tyrants who overthrow governments,” Julian said, “However, we don’t need to. Mozaffar’s tied himself to the war effort to boost his political fortunes, but we can turn that against him.”

“Y’mean tae sabotage the war effort?”

“No.” Julian shook his head. “That would both be suicidal for all of Persia and treasonous. Mozaffar would claim we’re Jerusalemite sympathizers. No, I’m not going to do that.” He pointed at the map of Mosul on TV. “I’m going to do the opposite of sabotage.”

Izinchi finally caught on. “By helping the non-Persians.”

“Exactly,” Julian said, “Mozaffar banked on a reckless strategy that will get thousands of non-Persians killed, as a way of scoring political points. I intend to deny him those points by making sure those casualties never happen while still capturing the city, then exposing his failed plan for what it is.”

“But will nae a more successful victory with fewer casualties help him?” Izinch asked.

“Not if I change the narrative away from that,” Julian said.

“And how d’ye intend tae dae that?”

“You’ll see.” Julian smiled.

Suddenly, a brick smashed through the window and landed on the carpet next to Julian. Izinchi yelped, letting out another heavy Caledonian swear, and ducked behind the wall. Julian, though, didn’t flinch. He merely picked up the brick and turned it over in his hands.

“They’re getting bolder,” he observed.

“GO HOME ROMANS! PERSIA FOR PERSIANS!”

“And louder,” he added, “So many more today.”

“W-will this end?” Izinchi stammered, covering her face in fear.

“Come now, Izinchi, that’s not behavior befitting of a Roman chancellor.”

“Julian, y’ken my office means little these days.”

“Still, it would be great to set an example,” Julian said, “For when this is over.”

“And when’d tha’ be?”

Julian hesitated. “No idea. All I know is…” His tone grew somber. “It’s going to get worse before it gets better.”

“THIS COUNTRY IS FOR PERSIANS!”

“MOZAFFAR WILL SAVE US ALL!”

“As they say,” Julian continued, “It’s always darkest before dawn.”

Outer Isfahan - that evening

This was a nice neighborhood, Angelica thought. The townhouses were designed in a fancy neo-Imperial Century style. Each had a large front lawn. A row of oak trees lined the street. There was a bakery a few blocks down. She was crouching on the rooftop of a school whose signs boasted of all of the academic awards its students and faculty had won.

Alençon once had all this… Angelica thought. It’s all gone now. They still have it all, but…

There was nothing warm about this neighborhood. It seemed peaceful, but there was no life here. The townhomes remained as vacant as they were several weeks ago, when the evacuation order came. The government was still handling everybody’s return to the city and hadn’t gotten to this neighborhood yet. Even if they did come back, a large number of them wouldn’t be allowed to return to their homes. Several blocks away, the Artesh had set up a line of barricades which cordoned off several blocks around a three-story hospital. All roads heading towards the hospital were now guarded by at least two tanks, three machine gun nests, and one squad of Persian soldiers. Helicopters constantly buzzed in the air around the hospital. Searchlights combed the surrounding blocks. Drones patrolled even further out, but Angelica had made sure to stay out of their range.

Officially, the hospital held two high profile prisoners of war: Regent Theodor Tesla and General Edmund Remmele. However, the documents Julian had obtained thanks to Senator Afshar’s “generous” help told them otherwise. Theodor and Edmund were being held in a military prison outside Isfahan, for obvious security reasons. The money trail for this hospital had been sent through several shell companies and military contractors, presumably those with ties to Mozaffar—that was for Julian to figure out. The lengths Mozaffar went through to hide the connection between himself and this hospital indicated whoever was being held inside was extremely important. There was no other place for Mozaffar to hide the missing Kaiserin and Shahbanu. It would explain why this random suburban neighborhood had been turned into a heavily armed military base.

Angelica recalled many of the adventures of Agent Hansen—specifically the semi-declassified infiltrations of Sentinel bases—she had read in the X-Division case reports, back when there was still an Athanatoi. Mozaffar’s little operation was no Sentinel, but it was still intimidating, even to a veteran like her. She reached into her pocket and took out a tattered and faded photo of Sylvia and Oliver, the one Clara had given her years ago in Bremerhaven. Mark my words, once this is all over, I’ll find you all, and I’m going to open that damned bakery. I’m tired of this life.

Angelica took out one of Tania’s sniper scopes from her backpack. Peering through it, she observed first the patterns of the drone patrols, then the searchlight movements, and finally the firepower gathered at each point of entry. The drones seemed to have a random pattern, or maybe they changed patterns every so often. The searchlights were the same deal, and even if she did find a pattern, the drones also covered the same area. The soldiers at each checkpoint seemed to be taking long shifts. As she continued observing, one checkpoint changed out its squad, showing they changed shifts at different times. There would always be at least three squads at full alert. A direct assault on one would draw in the personnel from the two next to it. And she wasn’t even considering the machine guns and tanks yet. Seriously, why do they need that much firepower? Isn’t that going to raise a lot of questions? Oh wait, Mozaffar’s counting on the people to not ask and then shut down the few who do. Even if she somehow got past the checkpoint, she still had two blocks before she reached the hospital itself, and then whatever was patrolling the interior of that building remained a complete mystery to her. Even if she got her hands on the floor plans, the internal patrol routes wouldn’t be as easy to find. In short, she had to rule out both a direct assault and covert infiltration.

That left one other option: disguising herself and getting credentials. She could handle the makeup and hairstyling needed to make her face unrecognizable, but the hard part was getting the right clearance. She didn’t even know how many levels of clearance were in this whole operation, much less who had the one with access to Wilhelmina and Gunduz. Back in the Athanatoi, whenever she needed a new level of clearance for a case and an ID to go with it, she always knew who to ask. If only you were here, Clara, then my job would be much easier. But Clara wasn’t. Worst case scenario, the biochemical slurry that was once her body was decomposing in a radioactive ditch somewhere in Scandinavia. Best case scenario, she had made it out before Tingvalla was razed. Either way, she wasn’t around, and nobody in her immediate circle of allies had the same skillset. Perhaps it would be easier to create credentials for a doctor. It would be stupid if doctors weren’t allowed to do their jobs in a hospital. They would likely have more clearance than the soldiers. And Julian already went with the whole “Angie” thing last time, so I might as well continue it. That still ran into the same problem as with the military clearance, in that she needed to get one.

Having scouted out the location’s security and a possible method of entry, there was nothing else she could do here. Angelica put away the scope and quietly descended from the rooftop, then made her way out of the neighborhood on foot. She’d let Julian know her findings, and then they would figure out the next step in their plan.

“Hang in there, ma’am,” she whispered, “We’re coming to get you.”

Kleinrom, Isfahan - April 15

The Kleinrom neighborhood of Isfahan was originally located in downtown, around the refugee centers and apartment complexes set aside for the initial wave of exiles when Jerusalem was formed. As more Romans arrived in Persia and the situation in Jerusalem only grew worse, the exiles started moving to the suburbs, picking neighborhoods where previous exiles had already settled so that they weren’t alone. For five years, everything seemed fine. The Romans got along with the Persian locals quite well. Roman children, both those with memories of Jerusalem and those who only knew Persia, went to the local Persian schools and spoke Persian just as well as the languages their parents spoke. Last year, the Isfahan municipal government even elected its first Roman councillor.

That peace was shattered in April when Jerusalem rampaged through Isfahan.

Although the Crusaders never got as far as the Kleinrom neighborhood, Mozaffar’s rise to prominence and embrace of nationalism changed the social dynamic. Persian neighbors grew colder. The regular community outreach programs and special events to welcome and integrate the exiles stopped. Bullying against Roman children surged. Robberies and buglaries of Roman homes and businesses went ignored. And that wasn’t the worst of it.

When Kresge arrived at the house where Magnus, Alexandra, Alex, and Thea were staying, he found all four of them hunched over a wet and soapy sidewalk. Even under the foam, he could still clearly see the words spray painted on the concrete.

“GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY”

“BURN SERVANTS OF AHRIMAN”

“YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE CRUSADERS”

“REMOVE BRATWURST”

“LET’S DO ANOTHER CARRHAE”

“626 AGAIN”

“SALTUK DID NOTHING WRONG”

The four scientists were doing their best to scrub the graffiti of the sidewalk, but it was slow work. They were tired and sweaty from what seemed like hours of work, but not much had been erased.

“Need some help?” he asked.

Alexandra looked up. “Kresge? What are you doing here?”

“I was in the neighborhood, on the way to Gebhard’s new place.” Also, I was told the children of Angela and Anders were helping our government while I was gone. “I wanted to see how you were doing.”

“Well, we’re not doing well.” Magnus pointed at the graffiti.

“They did this to you as well?”

“What, you got graffiti’d too?” Thea asked.

“Yeah, only they put way more slurs on my door,” Kresge said.

“Have you been able to do something about it? It’s getting unbearable.”

“I’m trying my best,” Kresge said, “But my hands are tied. With the Shahbanu still missing—”

“She’s not missing,” Alex said, “We all know she’s being held somewhere.”

“Yes, I know, but I need hard evidence before I go on TV and announce it,” Kresge said, “Izinchi and I are assessing the options we have. Mozaffar didn’t leave us with many.”

“You need to speak to the Majlis and tell them that us Romans aren’t safe anymore,” Thea said, “I’ve received three death threats just this week.”

“I’m trying,” Kresge said, “But I’m not confident. The National Persian People’s Freedom Party controls the Majlis, and Mozaffar controls the party. He could just deny me a hearing, and even if I was allowed to speak, I doubt they’d listen.”

“How could Persia do this to us?” Magnus said. “We’ve been here for five years, trying to live our lives. We’ve been nothing but helpful.”

Fear, that’s why, Kresge thought, I saw the same thing happening in Russia when Burkard visited and we were almost deported to Jerusalem. Wilhelmina brought us back from the brink then, but where is she now?

A car rolled by, angrily honking. The driver rolled down his window and flipped the middle finger at them. “WE DON’T WANT YOU HERE! GO HOME!” He sped away, spewing exhaust fumes behind him, before anyone could respond.

Alex got up, faced the quickly receding car, and held up his own middle finger. “FRAK OFF!”

“Alex,” Thea cautioned, “You’re doing it again.”

“Sorry,” Alex said, “It’s just that…this doesn’t feel right. When we first got here, they welcomed us with open arms.”

“Did they?” Kresge said.

Alex nodded. “You only just got here, but things were better before. When Alexandra said she wanted to move out of Ali Qapu and into her own house, they helped her get one here. Hell, I even had a nice chat with some newspaper stand owner a couple months ago when I was trying to help Magnus get a good gift for Separ…Spar…oh frak it, that one holiday.”

“There were still some who were annoyed, though,” Alexandra said, “I remember some of the early protests against Jerusalem. Some directed their anger at us. Not many, but they were there. It was nothing like this, though.”

“I’m sorry I can’t do more,” Kresge said, “If I could, I’d have put a stop to it already.”

“Unfortunately, it seems only Gunduz has the power to put Mozaffar in his place,” Magnus said, “But Mozaffar dealt with her and took her authority. Just like the committee did with the old tyrant Wilhelm.”

Izinchi told me Wilhelmina wants to sever the monarchy from politics entirely. I didn’t put much stock into that idea, but after what happened in the old Reich and now here with Mozaffar…perhaps she has a point? “It’s happening here too…” Kresge looked around the neighborhood. “The Reich, Russia, and now Persia…” He saw many of the houses on the street had either “For Sale” or “Sold” signs. “No wonder so many are leaving again.”

But where are they going?

“I’ve been thinking of leaving too,” Alexandra said, “Ironic. I wanted to stay here my whole life, but if the country and its people don’t want me, I’ve got no reason to stay.”

“I’d be up to leave,” Alex said.

“Same here,” Thea said, “But where?”

Perhaps a town where the hatred isn’t as bad and Mozaffar’s influence is weaker?

But the scientists were thinking further. “Turkestan?” Magnus shook his head. “No, Samarkand’s even worse off.”

“Afghanistan?” Alexandra suggested. “Nah, that place has rampant Pesah outbreaks.”

“Even if we did have somewhere to go, Mozaffar wouldn’t let us leave,” Thea said, “People with our skills…he’d keep us here and working for him as long as he can.”

“On military applications too,” Alex said, “He’s already sent people to ask me about the reactor.”

“Me about Theodor’s exosuits and Argeiphontes.”

“This sucks,” Alexandra said, “I thought we won two weeks ago. This doesn’t feel like a victory.”

“It seems like the only one who truly won was Mozaffar.” Kresge stepped on the graffiti. “I really wish I could do something, but it feels like…” He scratched at the graffiti with his shoe, accomplishing nothing. “We’re a goddamn shoe.”

“If only we could do something about it…” Alex said.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Ouch.

I know that now isn’t the right time to ask right now but what happened to Zoan? Zoan is a place in Egypt recently rediscovered in the 2020s and I and is referenced in the Bible subtly. It’s a place where only the pharaoh, his family, and his close advisors knew about, as that was where All of their secrets and dirty laundry are. Most ancient Egyptians and hell most modern Egyptians don’t even know it existed. With the committee leaders being around in the 2020’s I assume that they found out about Zoan and heard it from some Christian pastor at least once. What would happen to Zoan? Destruction, or repurposing?

Ouch.

I know that now isn’t the right time to ask right now but what happened to Zoan? Zoan is a place in Egypt recently rediscovered in the 2020s and I and is referenced in the Bible subtly. It’s a place where only the pharaoh, his family, and his close advisors knew about, as that was where All of their secrets and dirty laundry are. Most ancient Egyptians and hell most modern Egyptians don’t even know it existed. With the committee leaders being around in the 2020’s I assume that they found out about Zoan and heard it from some Christian pastor at least once. What would happen to Zoan? Destruction, or repurposing?
It’s probably too obscure for even the committee to consider worth its time.

It’s probably too obscure for even the committee to consider worth its time.
I see… so the only thing that that would most likely use Zoan is only some stories that they heard from that Christian pastor and the coordinates to its location at best… aaand that’s all they’ll do to it in the long run.

(I can see a conversation happening in the 2034 being like)

Kaiser Wilhelm: So, Zoan really exists. I thought it’s just some obscure fairytale in the Bible. A place of secrets, corruption, and is a dark and dreary place in ancient Egypt. So… should we destroy it?

Moria: Nah, this is not worth our time. Heck, I don’t think anyone would enter here as of now

Worm Cultist (who wormed his way into the traditionalist bloc, Christendom Front): Indeed. I can feel none of my brothers here.

Elias: So, a potential place to hide our stuff. Don’t care. Preserve this place, this place may be useful to this regime… later

Theodor: Heinrich, you why did you got us here? Are you trying to waste our time?

Heinrich: I’ve come to have you learn a lesson

Josiah: Boring. And yes, I’m only speaking now cause I wasn’t able to speak my mind for 6 HOURS!!!

Heinrich: My due sincerest apologies. This place is a seat of corruption and intrigue of the Pharoes in a civilization that doesn’t exist anymore…

Josiah: What are you getting at Heinrich. While we could come here again in private, in a small talk between you and me, as of right now, please keep this brief. Elias doesn’t like long speeches.

Heinrich: Ancient Egypt fell because of corruption, intrigue, totalitarian rule, loss of values, and loss of purpose in life. This is what happened to the Party cartel. We must learn so that The Reich doesn’t suffer the same fate as Ancient Egypt (Looks Kaiser Willhelm in the eye sternly)

(I was actually implying that Heinlrich is throwing shade and reprimanding KAISER WILHELM for allowing to let the committe go this far. As far as Heinrich knows as of 2034, it was Wilhelm who did all of this and approves of it. Guess where Heinrich takes them, in a place of Royal Secrecy, a place only known by… The Pharoh. Guess who’s the equivalent of The Pharaoh in the Reich. Kaiser Wilhelm. If Heinrich is trying to reprimand the Committee, then Heinrich will look at Elias in the End instead of Wilhelm. He is basically doting on Wilhelm like a stern parent warning his child of what is to come if Wilhelm doesn’t put a stop to the committee immediately.)

Last edited:
Elsewhere

“Taking heavy fire! We lost autoritter 11!”

“The Indians have flanked us from the north! Requesting orders!”

Julius watched his screens intently as his knights radioed in, each message accompanied by the roar of engines and gunfire. At the top of the radar screen—oriented with the west facing up—was the enemy. The Indians still controlled large parts of the surrounding area, banking on his forces’ reluctance to directly attack the habitat domes. But Julius knew exactly how to deal with them. He had already predicted the enemy’s strategy.

“Lady Neumann, reinforce the north. Take the drones with you. All units, turn off IFFs!”

“My lord!” Angelica’s voice came through the speaker. The screen highlighted the IFF of autoritter 5. “Are you sure?”

“I know what I’m doing,” Julius said, “Now, Emperor Julius von Anniona commands you! Execute my order!”

“Yes, my lord!” One by one, the IFFs of Julius’ autoritters disappeared from the radar. Not that Julius needed them—he could remember where they were on his own, accounting for their movements.

“Autoritter 4, move behind that ridge in P1,” Julius said, “7, engage the two enemy contacts near you and then disengage, pulling back to 4. When you see them nearing the ridge, 4, shoot through it.”

“As you wish, my lord.” He heard a quick burst of gunfire, and then the two Indian IFFs disappeared.

“5, target G28. 2, fire your missiles on R7. 8, drop your mines in B3. Neumann, continue your advance.”

“Alright, men, advance, for the glory of His Majesty and the Empire!” Angelica said. “We are His Majesty’s sword! Let’s bring it down on our enemies!”

Many had already died in this battle, on both sides. There were many knights who had valiantly given their lives to get Julius this far. Missiles and artillery could only do so much without damaging habitat domes or exposing the underground tunnels below, where the bulk of the population lived, to the thin atmosphere. Now it was the job of the knights to break the enemy’s formation. His men and women attacked from where the Indians least expected them, taking advantage of the terrain to split them up and overwhelm them without fear of reprisal. Even so, Julius had a dozen backup strategies cycling through his mind to account for anything that might come up. A change in the enemy’s strategy. The enemy being unusually incompetent. A freak change in the weather. Equipment malfunction. Lady Neumann somehow being defeated. That last one was unlikely—the Valkyrie of Alençon, the Reich’s first and best autoritter pilot, who had proved autoritters as a viable technology and set the standards of autoritter combat, had never been bested in combat. But it was not impossible. Julius had a contingency plan should that scenario come to pass.

As the battle raged on and more and more of the enemy fell, Julius observed that the Indians had never recovered from his initial offensive. They had always been playing catch up to them, fixing problems as they came up, not stopping them from happening to begin with. To borrow an expression from Angelica that he didn’t understand, it was like plugging the holes of a sinking ship. Their concentration was off trying to win each tactical engagement. They couldn’t even think about the strategic level anymore. Julius exploited that ruthlessly in the next step of his plan. There could be no mercy in war. Once everything was in place, Julius leaned back in his chair. “It’s time to make my move.”

He flipped a switch, and the cabin lurched, rising off the ground with a mechanical whir. Control mechanisms clamped down around his arms and legs. He stood up, and with it his autoritter—the Sigurd—also stood up. For a moment, he could almost feel the sunlight warming the Sigurd’s metal; the dry wind blowing against it, ever so often scratching its red and black paint scheme with motes of red dust; the cold red dirt crunching underneath the carbon-silicon composite “feet.” With a casual flick of his hand, the Sigurd extended a blade from its arm. “Turn IFF on, visible to all frequencies.” Soon, the enemy radio was abuzz with chatter.

“Enemy contact, it’s the Sigurd!”

“The boy tyrant has been located!”

“Eliminate him, for the revolution!”

Curling a toe, the Sigurd rose a little more as its wheels deployed and then descended slightly as the main body folded downward to lower the autoritter’s center of gravity. Then it was off as he bent his knees forward. The Sigurd sped across the red wastes of the Xanthe Plain, throwing up a large cloud of dust in its wake.

“All available units, converge on the Sigurd! Their false emperor must not leave this battle alive!”

Julius laughed. “What fervent opposition. How hollow their boasts ring. It will do you no good.”

He stopped the Sigurd at the designated location. The radar screens now showed several dozen IFFs closing on him.

“Like moths to a flame,” he said, “Just as I predicted.”

“Concentrate your forces on the Sigurd!”

“Surround it, then destroy it immediately!”

“Do not let him escape!”

“It’s isolated from the other Austrian units! Now’s our chance!”

“More like my chance,” he said, “Come a little closer…”

The Indians closed in, and now he could see the dust clouds of their tanks and APCs on his video screens, not just the radar.

“Visual contact on the Sigurd!”

“Hold on, something’s not right! Where are the other Austrians?”

“Don’t worry about that, move in and engage!”

“Death to the emperor! Long live the people!”

Now the enemy was right where he wanted them, in B3. He raised his hand. “With this, I call checkmate.”

He snapped his fingers, and the mines in B3 detonated. In an instant, and without the Sigurd’s weapons even firing a single shot, all of the Indian IFFs disappeared. The enemy’s radio frequencies filled with panicked screams and then static. Julius’ face twisted into a mad grin.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” he cackled. “It worked! You’ve done it again, Julius! You can save this planet!”

A new transmission came through. “Lady Neumann here.”

“Ah, have you completed your mission?”

“Yes, my lord.” Angelica could barely contain her pride. “Xanthe has fallen. The local Party chairman has surrendered.”

Julius turned the Sigurd in the direction of Xanthe’s main habitat dome and zoomed in with his camera. The domes of the Socialist Republic of Mangala had been painted saffron, and the flag of the old Union of India flew at their peaks—though with the atmosphere as thin as it was, it didn’t do much flying. But the dome Julius saw had its saffron faded and cracked in many places, and the Indian flag had been cast down into the red dirt. At the top, he saw Angelica’s autoritter—the Balmung—standing triumphantly. When Angelica noticed the Sigurd, she had the Balmung do a salute.

“Hail, Emperor Julius!” The Valkyrie of Alençon declared. “I have singlehandedly conquered this settlement in your name. My fellow knights are securing the outer habitats as we speak.”

“Excellent work, Lady Neumann,” Julius said, “My late sister was wise in choosing you as my retainer.”

“I am the sword of the Emperor,” Angelica said, “I live to serve.”

“I applaud your dedication,” Julius said.

“My lord, permission to speak freely?”

“You have always had permission, Angelica.”

“I once again voice my concerns about your tactics. Such diversionary tactics are not befitting of an Emperor. You are the last hope for all of us, Julius. Eva entrusted me with your life when she handed you to me on that last rocket off Terra. Don’t go wasting your life as a decoy. That is a job for me, as your retainer.”

“Angelica, don’t worry about me,” Julius said, “Your concern is welcome, but I assure you, I’ll be fine. As Emperor, I don’t intend to sit in my palace all day letting my knights do all the work. That’s how my predecessors destroyed the old world. I will not repeat their mistakes.”

“I just want you to be safe, in Eva’s name.”

“I understand that,” Julius said, “But the needs of the Empire, of our species itself, come before my own life. I am an Emperor before I am a person. Angelica, I know what I’m doing. Would I really put myself in such a dangerous situation if there was a chance I would die?”

“Julius…I should be the one in danger, not you.”

Julius shook his head. “I don’t think so.”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t you remember your own words, from all those years ago?” Julius said. “If the king doesn’t lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?”
Julian decided not to press the matter further. “Our primary objective will be to prevent Mozaffar from winning the upcoming national examinations.”

“And how d’we dae that?”

“We don’t have the military strength to get rid of him, and even if we did, we’d only be proving his point that we’re anti-meritocratic tyrants who overthrow governments,” Julian said, “However, we don’t need to. Mozaffar’s tied himself to the war effort to boost his political fortunes, but we can turn that against him.”

“Y’mean tae sabotage the war effort?”

“No.” Julian shook his head. “That would both be suicidal for all of Persia and treasonous. Mozaffar would claim we’re Jerusalemite sympathizers. No, I’m not going to do that.” He pointed at the map of Mosul on TV. “I’m going to do the opposite of sabotage.”

Izinchi finally caught on. “By helping the non-Persians.”

“Exactly,” Julian said, “Mozaffar banked on a reckless strategy that will get thousands of non-Persians killed, as a way of scoring political points. I intend to deny him those points by making sure those casualties never happen while still capturing the city, then exposing his failed plan for what it is.”

“But will nae a more successful victory with fewer casualties help him?” Izinch asked.

“Not if I change the narrative away from that,” Julian said.

“And how d’ye intend tae dae that?”

“You’ll see.” Julian smiled.
I'll be honest when I read this part I thought that the scene between Julian and the Senator were from the Annoniaverse. It is good to know after reading the other two updates that it was part of the actual story. Hopefully we will get some more of these Code Geass references throughout this batch of updates as well as when the Japan arc comes out.

I’m now going to retcon the Iconoclast Reformation into being called the Third Iconoclasm, historiographically making it the successor to the historical iconoclast controversies in the Byzantine Empire. If I ever rewrite that whole thing, I’ll have the Reformed Iconoclasm and Purist faiths take more from those older iconoclast movements.
I did not know that there were any anti-Iconoclast movements besides the Protestant Reformation so it is interesting to know that there were others. So after doing some research I found out there were at least two others OTL so in TTL will the first and second Iconoclasm's being one that was in the Byzantine Empire from 726-787 and 814-842 respectively, the third being the Protestant Reformation and the fourth one being the current one under the Committee?

“Think about it.” Julian pointed at the screen. It was now showing a map of the area around Mosul, with neat graphics of troop formations and projected movements. “They publicize an offensive that will take place in two weeks. Jerusalem takes steps to fortify Mosul and prepare for the attack. Our casualties will increase. And you know who’s going to take the brunt of those casualties?” He tapped his finger on the turquoise-colored units at the front of the Artesh formation. “They didn’t put a flag over them, but we all know who’s making up these units.”

“Non-Persians,” Izinchi realized, “Börte’s troops.”

Julian nodded. “They intend to make a spectacle. A reckless and wasteful offensive that Jerusalem wouldn’t expect. They’d be overwhelmed. The city would fall. We’d lose a lot of troops. They’d say they died for Persia. But the truth is, very few of those deaths would have been Persian. They’d have pushed all of their casualties onto our allies. Mozaffar gets his victory and his martyrs with little Persian blood shed. Further proof that his ways work and that he should have more power. He sweeps the examinations on a wave of nationalism and jingoism. Then he’ll have a popular mandate to carry out anything he wants.”
Speaking of Code Geass call backs this feels like how the Japanese of the WZERO unit lead by Leila Malcal were treated in Akito (i.e. expendable foreign soldiers so the politicians don't get bad press about "native" casualties).

Oof, Persia is becoming more like Jerusalem and Han the longer Mozaffar remains in power. Let's hope Julian is able to oust him quickly before Mo becomes another Reza Khan.

Ilyana will also need some therapy before she goes off the rails as well. I almost feel bad for those kids bullying Fredrich, almost is the key word.
“SALTUK DID NOTHING WRONG”
So I take there is Islamophobia going on in Persia as well in addition to anti-Roman jingoism and chauvinism.

Hopefully there will be more republican movements in the future that are more sane than the one in Persia right now. When Jerusalem falls, I could see the Reich having something like the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth's government, only with a representative, popular bureaucracy and a constitutional monarchy rather than an elective monarchy and powerful nobles. Kinda funny how both the Reich and Persia are already republics in the classical sense (i.e. a representative, non-tyrannical government)

I see… so the only thing that that would most likely use Zoan is only some stories that they heard from that Christian pastor and the coordinates to its location at best… aaand that’s all they’ll do to it in the long run.

(I can see a conversation happening in the 2034 being like)

Kaiser Wilhelm: So, Zoan really exists. I thought it’s just some obscure fairytale in the Bible. A place of secrets, corruption, and is a dark and dreary place in ancient Egypt. So… should we destroy it?

Moria: Nah, this is not worth our time. Heck, I don’t think anyone would enter here as of now

Worm Cultist (who wormed his way into the traditionalist bloc, Christendom Front): Indeed. I can feel none of my brothers here.

Elias: So, a potential place to hide our stuff. Don’t care. Preserve this place, this place may be useful to this regime… later

Theodor: Heinrich, you why did you got us here? Are you trying to waste our time?

Heinrich: I’ve come to have you learn a lesson

Josiah: Boring. And yes, I’m only speaking now cause I wasn’t able to speak my mind for 6 HOURS!!!

Heinrich: My due sincerest apologies. This place is a seat of corruption and intrigue of the Pharoes in a civilization that doesn’t exist anymore…

Josiah: What are you getting at Heinrich. While we could come here again in private, in a small talk between you and me, as of right now, please keep this brief. Elias doesn’t like long speeches.

Heinrich: Ancient Egypt fell because of corruption, intrigue, totalitarian rule, loss of values, and loss of purpose in life. This is what happened to the Party cartel. We must learn so that The Reich doesn’t suffer the same fate as Ancient Egypt (Looks Kaiser Willhelm in the eye sternly)
Replace Heinrich with Moria and that would work better.
I'll be honest when I read this part I thought that the scene between Julian and the Senator were from the Annoniaverse. It is good to know after reading the other two updates that it was part of the actual story. Hopefully we will get some more of these Code Geass references throughout this batch of updates as well as when the Japan arc comes out.
I plan on it.
I did not know that there were any anti-Iconoclast movements besides the Protestant Reformation so it is interesting to know that there were others. So after doing some research I found out there were at least two others OTL so in TTL will the first and second Iconoclasm's being one that was in the Byzantine Empire from 726-787 and 814-842 respectively, the third being the Protestant Reformation and the fourth one being the current one under the Committee?
Yes.
Speaking of Code Geass call backs this feels like how the Japanese of the WZERO unit lead by Leila Malcal were treated in Akito (i.e. expendable foreign soldiers so the politicians don't get bad press about "native" casualties).
That was the main inspiration for the tank assault sequence from last week. More Akito references are coming up too, including the big sequence I previously mentioned. You’ll know when you see it.
Oof, Persia is becoming more like Jerusalem and Han the longer Mozaffar remains in power. Let's hope Julian is able to oust him quickly before Mo becomes another Reza Khan.
The funny thing is, he’s still only Minister of Defense.
Ilyana will also need some therapy before she goes off the rails as well. I almost feel bad for those kids bullying Fredrich, almost is the key word.
Normally I’d say violence isn’t the answer, but sometimes people will only respond to force.
So I take there is Islamophobia going on in Persia as well in addition to anti-Roman jingoism and chauvinism.
Probably, yes, but it takes a backseat to the anti-Roman nationalism.
Hopefully there will be more republican movements in the future that are more sane than the one in Persia right now. When Jerusalem falls, I could see the Reich having something like the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth's government, only with a representative, popular bureaucracy and a constitutional monarchy rather than an elective monarchy and powerful nobles. Kinda funny how both the Reich and Persia are already republics in the classical sense (i.e. a representative, non-tyrannical government)
I will say I’m currently brainstorming potential sane republican movements on the gameplay side. I just thought of a couple earlier today, but right now they’re little more than names and territory.

It's obviously not exactly good, but I did still really enjoy that Ilyana scene. It's very much along the lines of, "Way to go! You should see a therapist, but still cool!"

It's obviously not exactly good, but I did still really enjoy that Ilyana scene. It's very much along the lines of, "Way to go! You should see a therapist, but still cool!"
“Yass you go girlboss, but damn you really need some therapy”

• 3Haha
Reactions:
That's true but even so I still think the line "Nobody touches my little Ricky.” is still pretty adorable.
Yeah.
“Yaas Queen slay! But also don’t actually slay.”
“I’m baby! Actually I’m no longer baby, I want war crimes!”
Pretty sure Henrich is subtly critiquing the Committee there through.
But he is more of the type to destroy it from within rather than offer constructive criticism with the goal of reforming it.

I was actually implying that Heinlrich is throwing shade and reprimanding KAISER WILHELM for allowing to let the committe go this far. As far as Heinrich knows as of 2034, it was Wilhelm who did all of this and approves of it. Guess where Heinrich takes them, in a place of Royal Secrecy, a place only known by… The Pharoh. Guess who’s the equivalent of The Pharaoh in the Reich. Kaiser Wilhelm. If Heinrich is trying to reprimand the Committee, then Heinrich will look at Elias in the End instead of Wilhelm. He is basically doting on Wilhelm like a stern parent warning his child of what is to come if Wilhelm doesn’t put a stop to the committee immediately. Still, if you still believe that the roles should be switched I will switch it on Friday.
Oh okay, it didn't seem that clear to me.