The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Since we are discussing Neurhomania, I also came across Afro-Brazillian syncretic religions like Candomblé and Umbanda while reading up on Brazilian culture awhile ago, and while I don't think their names would work for West African paganism as a whole, perhaps their beliefs and practices could influence Nsoralan Malian Paganism, especially Candomblé which was inspired by West African religions.

If you ever do lore updates for countries and regions again, I feel like the Reich's overseas provincies like Neurhomania and Mitagsland would make for intriguing topics.
I'm a little familiar with Candomble from it being in older versions of After the End. Since it is based on some West African religious traditions, I could see Nsoralan traditions taking a lot from it. But I think I'll just call the religions as Malian/Nsoralan paganism for now. It's more of a decentralized folk religion that doesn't exactly need a formal name. Would match how politically decentralized Mali is.

And yes, I'd definitely consider Neurhomanian and Mittagslandian lore posts if I ever work on them again.

Moving away from Neurhomania, since you reworked the borders of mainland Southeast Asia, I'm curious about if you reworked Maritime Southeast Asia and Oceania as well, particularly on the island of New Guinea which has a straight line through the middle safe for a part of the border that follows a river.

Moving away from Neurhomania, since you reworked the borders of mainland Southeast Asia, I'm curious about if you reworked Maritime Southeast Asia and Oceania as well, particularly on the island of New Guinea which has a straight line through the middle safe for a part of the border that follows a river.
I did, actually. I retconned Papua to control the entire island, and East Indonesia no longer exists with the justification being reorganization following the creation of the Srivijaya Commonwealth:

1677548448794.png

East Indonesia also didn't really make much sense to begin with and would have been swallowed up by Nusantara had there been no Cold War shenanigans. Brunei-Kutai was also deleted.

Everything else is about the same as in the game, though I'm not sure if Timor should be split between Nusantara and Penglai. Some of the minor islands were also shifted around, but they're too small to reasonably identified.

Reactions:
After thinking about the Al-Andalus colony for a bit, I feel like that could be another thing that could help explain Sunset Invasion, since I doubt that the Mexica basing all their technological advancements on late 10th/early 11th century Viking technology would be enough. You could even have some Andalusians fight for the Mexica during Sunset Invasion, that way there would be legitimate grievances that the Mexica could use to invade the Reich, rather than just invading the Reich because the Worm Cult told them to or to establish a landing ground to invade Scandinavia.

Also, since the Purpecha Empire seem to have lasted until the 15th century, you could have them be an ally of the Zhumasi court and adopt some Chinese political and cultural innovations through naval trade routes to Baja and land routes through Oasisamerica, until the Mexican conquest of those two territories and the Jinshan court's advances against the Zhumasi court and Navajo leaves the Purpecha open to Mexica expansion. You could even represent this with the Purpecha using a Fusang inspired writing system like Twantinsuyu does, while the rest of Mexico uses the Nahuatl writing system.

Last edited:
After thinking about the Al-Andalus colony for a bit, I feel like that could be another thing that could help explain Sunset Invasion, since I doubt that the Mexica basing all their technological advancements on late 9th/early 10th century Viking technology would be enough. You could even have some Andalusians fight for the Mexica during Sunset Invasion, that way there would be legitimate grievances that the Mexica could use to invade the Reich, rather than just invading the Reich because the Worm Cult told them to or to establish a landing ground to invade Scandinavia.
Honestly, it was always a stretch for a dozen Vikings from the early 10th century to somehow end up in Mexico and help build up the Mexica empire to the point where it can invade Europe, even with Worm Cult shenanigans. The Andalusians could help fix that. However, it's one thing to have a dozen pagan/semi-Christianized Vikings integrate into Mexica society and another to have a few hundred (at the minimum) very Muslim Andalusians interact with the fiercely polytheist Mexica. I know that al-Andalus was more tolerant towards non-Muslims relative to the Christian kingdoms, but they weren't exactly progressively tolerant as we would know it today. I don't know how to say this properly, but both a larger Christian Viking group and the Muslim Andalusian group would likely try to convert the pagan Mexica instead of being absorbed into them.

So maybe most of the Andalusians died out, or not many made it to the New World to begin with, and the rest made their way to Mexico the same way the Vikings did. They wouldn't have the numbers to fully convert the Mexica, but they would bring a lot of their cultural values and beliefs with them. Religious warfare was still common in Iberia (even if there were times that Christian and Muslim kingdoms in Spain coexisted and even cooperated), so some of that rhetoric could have influenced the later Sunset Invasion, melded with the Vikings' desire for revenge. Mexica paganism could become far more centralized and evangelizing along the lines of the Abrahamic religions. And of course the Andalusians would bring their technology with them, particularly shipbuilding technology since they got there to begin with.

The main question is where they would land. If they have to reasonably get to Mexico from their landing spot, the only bets would be the Caribbean or the Muscogean archipelago. This would be around the mid-12th century, or step 7 here. That would rule out the Caribbean because they'd meet the Mayans and likely integrate into their society, which means they wouldn't end up with the Mexica. That means they'd have to have landed in the Muscogean archipelago or slightly to the north. Coincidentally, that's where the Mexica Empire had its North Atlantic coastline in the game and where I said they built their ships and launched their invasion from. Perhaps the Andalusians landed in what would be real life Georgia, traveled inland after their initial settlements got destroyed for whatever reason (probably a hurricane), and then ended up in Mexico. A century later, the Mexica would return to that stretch of coastline and build their shipyards there, having inherited the Andalusians' desire for revenge and an evangelizing zeal.

Now that I think about it, it would be pretty funny if a few Andalusian Jews went with the exiles to the New World and spread the faith to some natives, leading to a small Jewish minority in many Mexica altepetls and neighboring native states that would confuse future historians and theologians. There'd also probably be a few small Muslim communities as well. Perhaps they'd go to Mayapan when they see how the main Andalusian group has allied itself with polytheists, only to also be absorbed into another polytheistic society themselves. Muslim merchants would integrate well with the commerce-focused society there and pass on their shipbuilding skills, allowing the Mayans to both build up an impressive trade network and amass a navy that can stand up to the Mexica's. There could be a small Mayan Muslim community on some islands.
Also, since the Purpecha Empire seem to have lasted until the 15th century, you could have them be an ally of the Zhumasi court and adopt some Chinese political and cultural innovations through naval trade routes to Baja and land routes through Oasisamerica, until the Mexican conquest of those two territories and the Jinshan court's advances against the Zhumasi court and Navajo leaves the Purpecha open to Mexica expansion. You could even represent this with the Purpecha using a Fusang inspired writing system like Twantinsuyu does, while the rest of Mexico uses the Nahuatl writing system.
That could be one reason how the Zhumasi court managed to contact the Tawantinsuyuans, through the Purepecha. And that would explain how the Purepecha ultimately got absorbed into the Mexica Empire, as their Zhumasi allies got destroyed by Jinshan. I do like them using a Chinese-style writing system too. Maybe there are other former Zhumasi allies further south that also adopted a Chinese writing system, like Pacific coast Mayans in Guatemala or natives in Mitteleimerica.

• 2Love
Reactions:
I know that this is a dead horse to beat, but at one point you said that you wanted to retcon the annexation of Naples in 1068. I would simply interpret it as the people or the nobles or both liking the Kaiser and wanting to give a middle finger to the Pope. This gives an additional layer into why the Pope didn’t join and even play into Anti-Popist sentiment.

Last edited:
I know that this is a dead horse to beat, but at one point you said that you wanted to retcon the annexation of Naples in 1068. I would simply interpret it as the people and the nobles liking the Kaiser and wanting to give a middle finger to the Pope. This gives an additional layer into why the Pope didn’t join and even play into Anti-Popist sentiment.
I don’t think that would happen. The noble in charge of Naples, Southern Italy, and Sicily in 1068 was Robert Guiscard, who was firmly on the papal side because the Pope granted those lands and the associated titles to him in 1059. Guiscard would need a very good reason to switch sides back to the HRE, whose emperor was at odds with the papacy in 1068. However, I do think some minor northern Italian states could have done that.

Once again I can honestly say that I was not expecting this. This makes me wonder though if all our other hero's are still dead or if it similar to Wilhelmina in were we all think they are dead?

Last week I said I reorganized everything to maximize cliffhanger potential. Ironically, this resulted in this part being pushed up by one week. It originally happened in Part 12. How ironic.
It would really be ironic if this was on part 13 considering how 13 is considered an unlucky number in different cultures.

"That's what everyone thought in ’41 when Constantinople fell,” Otto said, “I was reduced to a couple villages and a few thousand men. The Angeloi had effectively won. But I refused to give up. I knew that if I did, I would be abandoning the world to the Angeloi. I couldn’t allow that to happen. Even if death was imminent, I had to keep fighting. As long as I still had the chance to change things, I would fight for our freedom to survive.”
That is a great point. Even if Isfahan does fall we could still win.

I guess the markets for both Nintendo and PS are now combined into one line of systems.
Slightly related, but I also like to think the Sega home consoles also survived and remain a major competitor to the SpeilBanh series, instead of the main competitor being Xbox, while the PSP and PS Vita led to a line of portable consoles to roughly fill in the same role as the DS and 3DS.
So instead of the Xbox, Sony, Nintendo in OTL is it the Sony/Nintendo megacorp vs Sega in TTL?

Should Neurhomania ever become independent at this point, I feel like it would want to change its name as well to distance itself from the Reich and Jerusalem at this point. After looking for some names that a potentially independent Neurhomania could use instead of "Brazil" or "Brazilla," I came across the indigenous name for Brazil, Pindorama, and I feel like that could work for Neurhomania should it ever become independent and join the Eimerican Federation after Jerusalem's defeat. What are your thoughts on this?
Funny enough, I actually came across Pindorama when doing research for alternate placenames in Empire Strikes Back last week. It could work here as well.
I see Neurhomania being divided in any peace with a Native Pindorama in the west by the Amazon, a still largely German Neurhomania in the Northeast by the mouth of the Amazon River and a independent Nsorala in the Southeast around TTL's Rio de Janeiro.

So maybe most of the Andalusians died out, or not many made it to the New World to begin with, and the rest made their way to Mexico the same way the Vikings did. They wouldn't have the numbers to fully convert the Mexica, but they would bring a lot of their cultural values and beliefs with them. Religious warfare was still common in Iberia (even if there were times that Christian and Muslim kingdoms in Spain coexisted and even cooperated), so some of that rhetoric could have influenced the later Sunset Invasion, melded with the Vikings' desire for revenge. Mexica paganism could become far more centralized and evangelizing along the lines of the Abrahamic religions. And of course the Andalusians would bring their technology with them, particularly shipbuilding technology since they got there to begin with.
I have two ideas for this one.

The first being that like how the Spanish did in OTL the Andalusians could take over the Mexica.

The Second idea could be that they integrate into Mexica society like how in OTL you had former supporters of the Confederacy move to Brazil and became the Confederados.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados

That could be one reason how the Zhumasi court managed to contact the Tawantinsuyuans, through the Purepecha. And that would explain how the Purepecha ultimately got absorbed into the Mexica Empire, as their Zhumasi allies got destroyed by Jinshan. I do like them using a Chinese-style writing system too. Maybe there are other former Zhumasi allies further south that also adopted a Chinese writing system, like Pacific coast Mayans in Guatemala or natives in Mitteleimerica.
The Purepecha could have been one of the early victims of the Mexica due to them trying to ally with the Jin? It could also be this attempt at establishing relations that could allow the Chinese writing system to migrate to Cusco like you and @CaptainAlvious talked about?

Lastly I have finished the Tianxia update on Central Europe and should post it tonight or tomorrow.

Once again I can honestly say that I was not expecting this. This makes me wonder though if all our other hero's are still dead or if it similar to Wilhelmina in were we all think they are dead?
find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!
It would really be ironic if this was on part 13 considering how 13 is considered an unlucky number in different cultures.
Indeed.
That is a great point. Even if Isfahan does fall we could still win.
Even if Wilhelmina actually died?
So instead of the Xbox, Sony, Nintendo in OTL is it the Sony/Nintendo megacorp vs Sega in TTL?
Sony and Nintendo haven't merged into a single company, but they do have a partnership in that the Playstation is now a Nintendo console.
I see Neurhomania being divided in any peace with a Native Pindorama in the west by the Amazon, a still largely German Neurhomania in the Northeast by the mouth of the Amazon River and a independent Nsorala in the Southeast around TTL's Rio de Janeiro.
And Tawantinsuyu could retake a lot of the outer provinces that have Quechua populations.
I have two ideas for this one.

The first being that like how the Spanish did in OTL the Andalusians could take over the Mexica.

The Second idea could be that they integrate into Mexica society like how in OTL you had former supporters of the Confederacy move to Brazil and became the Confederados.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados
If the Andalusians take over the Mexica, it wouldn't be an Acatl-led Mexica Empire anymore. It would be a reborn Islamic al-Andalus led by Andalusian nobles who would try to convert the empire to Islam or at least establish a Muslim upper class.

There were about 20,000 ex-Confederates who moved to Brazil, allowing them to maintain a separate culture from mainstream Brazilian society. I don't think 20,000 Andalusians could have crossed the Atlantic in the early 12th century without the Reich catching on. More like a few hundred—the truly desperate or those who had the most to lose—made it to the New World. That's not enough to create a subculture within Mexica society. They'd most likely be fully assimilated into the mainstream culture within several generations.
The Purepecha could have been one of the early victims of the Mexica due to them trying to ally with the Jin? It could also be this attempt at establishing relations that could allow the Chinese writing system to migrate to Cusco like you and @CaptainAlvious talked about?
The Purepecha survived until at least the 15th century, so they were likely the last Mesoamerican state to be annexed. In the at least 400 years that they were around, they would have been the intermediary between the Jin and Tawantinsuyu, maybe even a third member of their alliance against the Mexica.
Lastly I have finished the Tianxia update on Central Europe and should post it tonight or tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.

Interesting. Still, the people liking the Kaiser after seeing and/or hearing of the Kaiser’s military victories seems like a good enough reason for me… just saying.
Even so, 1068 is still too soon. At that point, Friedrich had just finished a pilgrimage and was still a margrave. The emperor Heinrich was off doing normal emperor stuff without any changes. And the peasantry generally didn’t have the political power to make demands of their nobility, especially one which would anger the pope and undermine the nobility’s own authority.

I like the ideas you suggested for Andulsians going to Mesoamerica and influencing the civilizations there. I like to to think some Andulsians went to western Mexico to help the Purepecha fight off the Mexica, seeing how the Purepecha likely would have established their own state centuries before they did in OTL in 1300, much like how Twantinsyu and the Mexica Empires were created much earlier than OTL. Maybe some would even go to Northern Neurhomania where the Mexica had some settlements. One question I have to ask is when exactly would they have fled from Iberia to the New World? My best guesses would be either when the Norse, Romans, and Malians conquered Iberia and North Africa in the late 11th/early 12th centuries, so during the time of the two Fredrichs and the 11th century arc, or when Saint Wihelmina was persecuting Muslims early in her reign between 1126 and 1151.

Last edited:
I like the ideas you suggested for Andulsians going to Mesoamerica and influencing the civilizations there. I like to to think some Andulsians went to western Mexico to help the Purepecha fight off the Mexica, seeing how the Purepecha likely would have established their own state centuries before they did in OTL in 1300, much like how Twantinsyu and the Mexica Empires were created much earlier than OTL. Maybe some would even go to Northern Neurhomania where the Mexica had some settlements. One question I have to ask is when exactly would they have fled from Iberia to the New World? My best guesses would be either when the Norse, Romans, and Malians conquered Iberia and North Africa in the late 11th/early 12th centuries, so during the time of the two Fredrichs and the 11th century arc, or when Saint Wihelmina was persecuting Muslims early in her reign between 1126 and 1151.
My idea is during the Roman persecutions, so as to have adequate reason to have a grudge they can pass on to the Mexica.

I guess I can have some Andalusians side with the Purepecha. Though I don’t really want them to influence too many native societies as that would take away from the natives organizing themselves.

And so here is the update on Central Europe. My next one will be on China and I think that it will be in a different style than the ones I've been doing. This new style might be similar to how I will wright the Cyberpunk updates. We will have to see about that.

I am debating as to make a special update in were I post the world map. It would be similar to the "The World from 1946 to 2000" that Zen did in were there is a map with some bullet points.

Tianxia-Legacy of the Great War:
Central Europe
Central Europe.JPG

Switzerland = Light Blue
Rhenish Republic = Green
Prussia = Black
South Germania = White
Poland = Dark Blue​

Switzerland
In the past when Romans thought of Switzerland they thought of tall snow capped peaks and rich natural beauty. In Ancient times the region was inhabited by a tribal confederation of Celts known as the Helvetii. They would come into contact with the Roman’s when trying to migrate into southwestern Gaul in 58 BCE. It is believed that this migration is one of the reasons that Julius Caesar invaded Gaul in the first place. But they would not be fully subjugated until the reign of Augustus in 52 BCE. The Swiss plateau would at first become a part of the Province of Gallia Belgica in 22 BCE but was then made a part of Germania Superior in 83 CE and face gradual Romanisation.

As Roman power waxed and waned in the later 3rd century the region became vulnerable to invasions by the Alemanni and the Burgundians who by the 5th and 6th centuries had established the Kingdom’s of Alamannia and Upper Burgundy respectively. The region would then be under the rule of the Franks until the rise of the Holy Roman Empire in 972. followed by its absorption into the Reich in 1105. During the Mexica invasion of Europe the Swiss were instrumental in stopping Aztec cavalry charges at Worcester and Gloucester and eventually driving back the Mexica forces.

1291 would also be an important year for the Swiss due to three of the cantons along Lake Lucerne (Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalder) uniting into the Swiss Confederation. This alliance was due to the fact that there was a growth in dairy products due to pasturing horses and cattle along with better trade networks along the mountain passes to the Lowlands (Low Countries) and Italy. All this painted a target on the cantons. This is evident in the fact that in the thirteenth century the Habsburgs started an attempt to control the trade routes between the two parts of the Reich. This would lead to a series of wars with the Austrians for influence over the region.

To combat the Austrians the Swiss cantons would ally with trade republics in Italia and together would form a kind of Hanseatic League of the South. This animosity with the Austrians would go into military matters as well with Swiss tacticians proposing that the Reich's Legions use pikemen as a way of dealing with cavalry charges. At first the largely German dominated military scoffed at the notion believing that the knights were the élite of the Legions. This theory would be challenged in the 1350s when the Timurids started a series of invasions into the Reich. Reports of Timurid horsemen would decimate the Legions would cause some commanders to turn to the Swiss in an attempt to save their infantry. The results were immediate. For even those forces that still fell in battle the pikemen would take just as many of the enemy with them.

By the mid-sixteenth century many Swiss units were recruited by the nobility for their reliable, loyal and ferocious fighting style often fighting with their lords on the frontlines. Due to their limited number as guards many mercenaries used the Halberd and a gold-hilted longsword.

In 1616 the Germanic kings of France created a special unit of Swiss guards that would see action in 1792 during the aftermath of the succession of Siegfried over Maximilian when a pro-Maximists mob stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris. Of the 900 Swiss Guard defending the palace about 600 were killed in a determined but futile defense due to being outnumbered. However the revolt in Paris and in many other places in the Reich were finally put down by the Varangians and Imperial Legions. During this time as the herding of livestock became more and more untenable due to changing land practices many of these former herdsmen became soldiers. In fact two reasons that many Roman nobles used Swiss Guards was because one they were not direct vassals. This made them immune to any political divide among their own subjects. It also allowed the nobles to be more ruthless against their own citizens.

In later years the Swiss Guard would be best known for their role in being the Guards of the Ecumenical Patriarch’s. Two reasons why the Swiss were used was because of their ability to move in unison and because of their extreme devotion to Imperial Orthodoxy. A notable person in regards to this effort was Peter von Hertensein. A lesser cleric who performed different tasks for different Patriarch’s. Hertensein would recommend Kaspar von Silenen, a distant relative, to head this force. The force would consist of 200 men and be funded by the Fugger Banking Family. Despite this some problems arose like the cantons trying to limit the number of men in service to nobles and the occupation itself becoming unpopular. This was because of an incident in 1500 in which the French and Milan Swiss Guard fought each other. Due to these factors and steep competition with other nobles the Patriarch’s could only get 150 troops.

The Swiss forces would arrive in Constantinople in 1505. In 1527 then Kaiser Wolfram I, "the Fair" (1494-1539) declared new humanist laws in which anyone regardless of culture or religion could become a citizen of the Reich. This would anger some citizens to the point that during that year a rogue Imperial force led by Duke of Bourbon at Santo Spirito only to be repealed by Swiss forces on the Castel Sant'Angelo. During the battle five banners were captured and the Duke was killed by arquebus fire. Despite these losses the enemy stayed and fought. Of the forces defending Rome only the 189 Swiss Guard remained guarding the Campo Santo while the rest had fled. They were led by Caspar Roist. But in the end 147 of the 189 Swiss troops were killed, taking about 900 enemy troops as they did. Captain Roist would also be injured and later executed before Imperial forces arrived.

The Swiss plateau itself would remain peaceful for much of the Reich’s history until the outbreak of the Weltkrieg. During the war leftist elements would agitate the population culminating in a strike in Geneva in 1919. The revolt was put down due to fears of French syndicalism. However in order to stave off revolution some reformers like higher wages and shorter work days were introduced. During the same year proportional representation was introduced and the conservative Freisinnige lost their majority to the Social Democrats. During the 1930s a growing divide was taking place between its different inhabitants with the French being syndicalist, Germans being conservative and the Lombards being clerical.

Germania
Germania. It is a name that conjures up different feelings to different people. However for many it is undeniable that the German people have influenced the modern world. For good or bad.

In the beginning the region of what is now Germania was not even part of the old Reich and was merely a frontier region. Imperial forces were able to occupy some of the region in the forms of the provinces of Germania Inferior and Superior. However these provinces went only to the border with the Rhine river. Any further advances were stopped by the Germans at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. It would be these people on the farthest frontier of the “Civilized World” that would ultimately bring the First Reich down with many Germanic tribes migrating into the Reich.

It is believed that this migration came about due to the Germans fleeing an enemy to the east. The Huns. The Huns were a nomadic people from East Asia who are believed by some historians to be related to the Xiongnu, a tribal confederation who terrorized China from the 3rd century BCE – 1st century CE. This migration allowed for new states to arise after the fall of the First Reich. One of the most prominent tribes to arise out of this chaos were the Franks. The Franks would go on to form their own kingdom known as Francia that would go on to dominate most of Western Europe to the point that Charlemagne then king of the Frankish realm would become Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope on December 25, 800 marking the height of Frankish power.

Despite this all power eventually falls and Charlemagne’s son Louis the Pious who succeeded his father would die in 840 leaving the throne disputed between his three sons. The Empire would be divided in August 843 with the Treaty of Verdun. The treaty would see Charles II “the Bald” get West , Lothair I get Middle Francia and Louis II get Germania. Over time the three realms would go under different transformations. West Francia would become France in 987 under the Capetian dynasty, Middle Francia would have its southern territories break away into the Kingdoms of Provence and Italy, With East Francia reforming into the Holy Roman Empire under the Ottonian dynasty.

The Ottonian dynasty would rule the HRE until they were briefly replaced by the Salian dynasty in 1027. They would only last until July 18, 1082 when then Kaiser Heinrich I Salian was killed by his wife and spymaster. Friedrich von Hohenzollern, a minor Margrave of the Northern March (Nordmark) of the HRE, would be elected as the new Kaiser. Over the next 23 years Friedrich would go on a conquering spree. Taking Pomerania, Poland, Hungary, Dacia, France, the British Isles, Egypt and the Levant. He would even put his son Wilhelm on the throne in Constantinople only for him and his wife to die in 1102. This forced their son Friedrich to be placed under a regency due to being under age. Despite this Friedrich’s Regents managed affairs well so that by April 3, 1105 he would be crowned Friedrich II and become the Kaiser of a reborn Roman Empire.

Almost immediately the Empire began to have problems. One of the main ones being the continued divide between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. In order to mitigate this problem Friedrich ordered numerous crusades against the remaining Muslim lands and for invading the British Isles and Hispania to finally restore the Roman borders. This would not work however and the division in the Reich would continue for most of his reign. One thing that would work though would be that during the Friedrich the Great's reign a German was placed on the French throne named Friedrich von Sigmaringen followed by a massive influx of German settlers. Friedrich would die and his hair and eldest daughter Wilhelmina would assume the throne a year after Friedrich’s death in 1126. It was during her reign that the destruction of entire cultures would reach its zenith.

Once she was made Empress she immediately declared all Christian sects that were non-Orthodox Christian to be wiped out by the Inquisition as heretics as well as many other religions. Leaving Orthodox Christianity and Judaism as the main religions in the Reich. She also destroyed entire cultures as well. Some of her main policies were the forced evacuation of Muslims from Arabia and giving their homes to Jews who themselves were forced out of Europe. Similar resettlement programs were carried out in non-Muslim areas as well. Different peoples that faced Germanisation were the Poles (mostly), Dutch, Bohemians, Hungarians (a small Hungarian community resurfaced and was granted protection after a crushed rebellion during the Fifty Years’ War), Wallachians, Pomeranians, Old Prussians, Serbians, Albanians, Croatians, and Portuguese. Despite this her reign was not all bad. She presided over a century-long renaissance of art and culture. As well as forge an alliance with India and its ruler Samrat Chakravartin Jayasimha I “the Magnificent,” also called Rama I. By the time of her death the Reich was one of the most powerful political, economic, and cultural force in the known world.

Over the next few years the Reich endured a multi year long struggle against the Mexica and the Mongols until the 1400's, followed by a religious struggle known as the Fifty Years’ War in the 1600’s. Some positive events that happened during these years was the “discovery” of a sea route to India and settling of South Eimerica after revenge was inflicted on the Mexica for Sunset Invasion. This allowed the Reich to become a colonial superpower by the 1800’s. One of the more devastating conflicts in recent history was the Maximist Wars which lasted from 1847 to 1854. A war fought over a succession crisis that saw the Reich divided between two sides. Those being the Maximist and Siegfriedist factions. The beginning of the war saw the Maximist take the Imperial capital Berlin forcing Kaiser Sigismund II to retreat to Constantinople. After years of fighting the Maximist cabinet became little more than a military junta with the Maximist claimant held hostage. Due to Siegfriedist advances the Maximist government was forced to surrender in 1854.

The next few decades would see raped technological and scientific advancement. A scramble would take place for some of the last few uncolonized pieces of land with the Reich claiming most of Africa doubling its size. Thus becoming the largest nation on Earth. The Reich's industry grew as well to the point that by the 1900’s it was three times larger than China’s and twice as big as Russia’s.

However it would be 1914 when everything changed. On June 28, 1914, Crown Prince Franz Ferdinand was assassinated by Lithuanian terrorists. This act would start a conflict that would be more devastating than any that came before. A conflict known as the Weltkrieg. The Weltkrieg would start out as a war of movement for a short while but then devolve into both sides digging trenches leading to a stalemate known as trench warfare. Things would change after a decade of such warfare as new technology came about as well as the capture of the Kaiser by the Jǐnyīwèi allowed the Tianxia and their Emerican allies to win the war against the Central Powers.

When the guns finally fell silent it looked like a Sinocentric world had finally been achieved. But that dream would quickly turnout to be a mirage. For as the veterans of the demobilized Legions returned home they found a Reich devastated by years of war. Even provinces that did not experience fighting saw massive economic hardships.

These hardships would come to a head in 1920 with the Kapp Putsch. The Putsch was an uprising of different rightwing factions led by General Walther von Lüttwitz and Hermann Ehrhardt, the Captain of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt Freikorps. The rebellion would take place after numerous negotiations with the government failed leading to a march on Berlin on March 13th, 1920. The march proved to be a success in which the putschist took control of the city without a shot being fired. The putschist would then go about trying to organize their new government known as the National Union under the slogan "Order, Freedom and Action.".

However, to combat the Putsch, union leaders called for a general strike throughout the province. This strike would prove to be the biggest in the Reich’s history up to that point with about 12 million workers talking to the streets. Due to the strike services like railroads and mail delivery stopped cutting off Berlin from the rest of Germania. The situation became so untenable for the putschist that they had to negotiate with the very people that they tried to remove. The deal was that the members of the coup would resign if they were given amnesty.

However the coup would set off a string of events that would go beyond their control. In an effort to prevent another putsch the Imperial Government tried to strengthen its power to the point of almost reimplanting Meritocracy. Despite many in the government agreeing that this is necessary, many feared what the Chinese would do if it looked like the Reich was trying to resume the war. Their fears were dashed when a telegram from Nanjing allowed the government to go ahead, figuring that at least the Reich could secure Germania and act as a buffer between the Syndicalist in the former Western Provinces and its Eastern European Allies.

The Chinese theory would be tested when radical leftist factions in the Rhineland began to organize due to the belief that they would be suppressed like the Spartakus and the Bavarian Syndicalist Republic. The workers of the Rhineland created the Ruhr Syndicalist Party with the Ruhr Red Army as its militia force. However cracks soon began to show with some of the moderates believing that they can negotiate with Imperialist forces and the radicals who believed in continuing the struggle.

But the government was also in a bind in that it wanted a quick end to the conflict since the strike in other parts of the province were still ongoing. Some of the offers from the government included promising to lift the state of emergency, free political prisoners, punish the Kapp putschist and enact social reforms. But due to mistrust of the government's intentions and the division among the Syndicalists, talks went nowhere. Despite this debate the government and the freikorps advanced on April 2. However instead of facing a fragmented militia the Imperialist Forces would face intervention by the Commune of Gallia led by the Commune’s 32nd Infantry Division. The operation would infuriate many Imperial officials who were stumped as to what to do. Should they continue advancing and risk a war with the Syndicalist or should they back down?

In the end the government backed down due to not wanting a war with the Third International with some of the strikes still ongoing which might create a scenario in we're the revolution could spread into the heart of Europe. So the order to halt was given leading to outrage among the conservative portions of the population. It is believed by some that this decision is part of what caused the hyperinflation that would destroy the German economy in 1923 leading to civil unrest that grew into riots and coup attempts targeted at the government.

Meanwhile in the Rhein the workers celebrated their liberation with the creation of a new state known as the Rhenish Republic. The capital of this new territory was to be the city of Aachen known as the preferred medieval residence of Frankish Emperor Charlemagne and the home of 31 Holy Roman Emperors. However it would soon become clear that the Jacobins (a leftist group inspired by Lenin and his revolutionaries) would spread their terror to the bank of the Rhein River who by 1925 were responsible for the deaths of about 130 German civilians as counter-revolutionaries with the General Confederation of Labor lead government in Paris seemingly powerless to do anything. By 1936 the Rhenish state and the Commune of Gallia as a whole is at a crossroads. Do the pro-establishment Sorelians take power, do the radical Jacobins take power and take their revolutionary fervor to new and dark depths or will a third faction come and do away with both?

South Germania, like Germania as a whole, did not experience any frontline fighting. That said it would experience a series of events that would tear the province apart like the rest of the Reich. At the end of the war the regional government, like the government itself, was forced to adopt a Chinese style government. But political instability struck in January 1919 when the Social Democrats lost the election, throwing the Eisner Government into chaos. Things would get even worse when Eisner was assassinated in February while going to resign from his post. Soon after, the Soldiers' and Workers' Council of Munich declared South Germania a Syndicalists Republic forcing the elected government to flee. However due to the conservative nature of the region many citizens were against any leftist movement which many saw through an anti-Semitic lens. In fact many leftist policies like nationalizing banks and companies, abolishing capitalism and allowing universities to be run by students fell on deaf ears outside of the coffee houses of Munich. In April troops loyal to the former government along with members of the Thule Society staged an event that would be known as the Palm Sunday Putsch. Despite the coup failing the event further radicalized both sides of the political spectrum. This led to the Syndicalists government to be taken over by Max Levien and Eugen Levine, both Russian emigres with even more extreme policies being introduced but their influence was for the most part kept in check by moderates and the revolutionary courts. The loyalists tried again on April 18 but were defeated at Dachau by the regional Red Army.

A call by the loyalist led to thousands of Freikorpsmen, such as Ernst Rohm, and joined the loyalist troops that were preparing to try and retake Munich. The counterattack began and by April 27 the writing was on the wall. This led to chaos happening everywhere. After artillery was brought up any resistance was crushed by May 1. The casualties during the fighting and atrocities cost between 600 and 1000 people with 58 government, 135 rebels and hundreds of innocent bystanders. However, like the treaty that ended the Weltkrieg, the armistice did not end with organized fighting. For example a group of Freikorpsmen who were acting on a false tip burst into a Church meeting. Of the 25 people that they tortured, bayoneted and even shot only four survived. Despite many citizens being glad that the Syndicalists were gone they also saw the effects that allying with the Freikorps could do.

Despite this many still believed that the right was the lesser of two evils since like before many Romans saw the left through a anti-semetic lens. This view was divided between the so-called “moderates”' who were in favor of policies like forced migration vs those that favored a violent “pogrom'' against Judaism and leftist ideology. One growing movement was the Roman Workers Party, a far-right political party headed by Anton Drexler. Drexler, a railway toolmaker and locksmith by trade, started the party on January 5, 1919 and for much of its early history was a relatively small party. That was until Alfred Wissmann, a military informer, joined the party and would make his debut on February 24, 1920 speaking to 2,000 people at the Hofbräuhaus brewery in Munich. The largest party gathering at the time. Due to the rise of radical Syndicalism and nationalism throughout the Reich the party looked for a moment where they could take power. On September 26, 1923 Bavarian Prime Minister Eugen von Knilling declared a state of emergency in were Gustav Ritter von Kahr was appointed Staatskomissar ("state commissioner") and given dictatorial powers with von Kahr, Bavarian state police chief Colonel Hans Ritter von Seisser and Reichswehr General Otto von Lossow becoming a de facto triumvirate.

After declaring Wissmann’s upcoming public speeches to be canceled Wissmann and the party decided to act. In November 1923 between the 8th an 9th the party staged an attempted coup against the government after taking over the Bürgerbräukeller beer hall in which after the occupation started to march through Munich under a proclamation of “Either the revolution begins tonight or we will all be dead by dawn!”. Wissmann and his co-conspirators got their wish when Bavarian police started firing on the putschist with notable figures like Max Erwin von Scheubner-Richter, Ernst Röhm and even Alfred Wissmann himself being killed in the confusion. Losing some of their key leaders the party collapsed due to many of its members being killed or jailed.

With the attempted coup crushed peace had once again reigned for a period of time. In fact this period of peace would last from 1924 to 1929 and be known as the Golden Twenties. The era would start with Chancellor Gustav Stresemann stabilizing the Roman currency which helped in post-war recovery. There was also the Bingqi Plan, a plan established by Xiong Bingqi the Chinese Minister of Economy in regards to the Reich’s war reparations. In October 1925 the Treaty of Locarno was signed that recognized the Reichs new borders.

Other events that happened during the Golden Twenties was a cultural renaissance that saw the growth of literature, cinema, theater and musical works. Most notably the beginning of new music styles like Jazz and new architecture styles like Bauhaus whose examples are the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, Großes Schauspielhaus and Einstein Tower. There were also progressive welfare laws passed like a maximum 48-hour workweek and the right to education for all children. But not everyone was happy with these cultural and social changes with many conservatives fearing this Sinicization was eroding traditional values.

This all came to an end in 1929 when the Shanghai Stock Market crashed causing a worldwide depression. What followed was Chinese banks withdrawing their credit to Roman companies causing 4 million Romans to be unemployed by 1930. This coupled with three chancellors between January 30 to March 23, 1933 saw the Syndicalist Party of Rome gaining votes. In order to combat the rise of the Syndicalist the Social Democrats led by Otto Wels formed a Triumvirate between themselves and other parties like Zentrum and the Roman People's Party. This Triumvirate secured a victory in the elections on March 5, 1933. After the election the new Chancellor Wels proposed the "New Economic Plan" a tax cut for the struggling poor and for small businesses. Other provisions in the plan include things like a further decrease in the minimum wage, public healthcare services expanded and infrastructure projects getting Romans back to work.

However many on the right (specifically those in South Germania) felt that the SDP was going too far. This came to a head on June 30, 1934 when groups of radical military and freikorpsmen started assassinating government leaders like Kurt von Schleicher and Gustav Ritter von Kahr. With Vice-Chancellor Franz von Papen under protective custody to insure his safety but not before his associates Herbert von Bose, Erich Klausener and Edgar Julius Jung were killed. The killings would last until July 2, 1934 after the army and police were able to crack down on the radicals. Despite a formal investigation by Megas Domestikos Erich Ludendorff practically none of the ringleaders were caught. This led to von Papen resigning as vice-chancellor on August 7 with Social Democrat Hans Vogel replacing him.

This caused many conservatives to furiously protest in many southern cities with many calling for a new investigation. That along with the lessening of the threat presented by the far-right and far-left parties and disagreement over domestic and foreign policy lead to the collapse of the "Triumvirate''. The killing of conservative leaders gave rise to a Neo-Maximist movement known as the Vaterländische Front or Fatherland Front. This group led by its founder Kai Eisen and its Teutonic militias swept into power in Southern Germania, mainly in the regions of Bavaria and the Archduchy of Austria, forcing out many center-left parties. The Front is in favor of a reunited Reich that is German and Christian under Archduke Felix instead of his mother Kaiserin Victoria and his older brother Otto.

By 1936 the heartland of the former Reich stands at a crossroad. On one hand you have the Syndicalists and their revolutionary terror, there is the moderate Social Democrats allied with the Establishment Pro-Otto wing, and the Nationalist Front. Who will win in this next election remains to be seen.

Poland
For many years the lands of the Polish people were split between different powers. But the start of the Weltkrieg would have the Polish nation in turmoil due to its people being the center point of the fighting on the Eastern Front with the Reich and Russia on one side and the Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth on the other. This proved to be a conundrum for many Polish nationalists since all three of these empires had Polish minorities and many were unsure as to what side would support a Polish state. In the end it came down to two men. Those being Józef Piłsudski creating an insurgent army called the Polish Liberation Front, supporting the Allies and wanting to forcibly create a Polish nation. On the other there is Roman Dmowski, the leader of the National Democracy movement (Endecja) supporting the Central Powers and who wants to create Poland through nonviolent means.

After a successful operation by the Jǐnyīwèi that caused Yavdi to collapse, two successor states emerged in the form of Khazaria and Mongolia (both claiming to be the successors of the Timurids and Mongols respectively). These states both allied with China and joined the side of the Tianxia Alliance. This along with advances by special assault units inspired off of the Reich’s Stormtroops allowed Chinese forces to advance beyond the Urals. This raised alarm bells in Tsarberg and caused the Russians to withdraw forces from both the Commonwealth and the Fylkirate allowing those countries to survive a little longer.

Due to the Central Powers struggling in 1916 thanks to the Jǐnyīwèi picking off the Reich’s allies one by one would cause the Roman high command to grow increasingly warm to the idea of establishing some kind of Polish autonomy. Many of the Reichs leaders hoped that the plans would allow them to create a Polish army to be used against Lithuania. And so toward the end of the year then Governor-General of Warsaw von Beseler issued the Act of 5th November, promising that the Reich would start the creation of a separate region within the Reich dedicated to Poles. A provisional Council of State was created for the soon-to-be Kingdom of Poland. Dmowski was given leadership of political matters, and work began to turn the Polish Legions into a proper army.

Despite the fact that some form of Polish rights were a step closer than they have been in the past, it became clear that it would merely be under Roman control. July 1917 would see the new Polish forces asked to swear an oath to the Kingdom of Poland, a yet-unchosen king and to the Reich and the Hohenzollerns. Despite some of the soldiers doing so after some prodding from Dmowski many of the more nationalist ones sided with Józef Piłsudsk and the PLF. For this, bounties were placed on Pilsudski and the nationalist officers. This ended the Reich’s hopes for a loyal Polish army for the time being. Despite this a new Regency Council succeeded the Council of State and a provisional constitution was drafted.

The outbreak of the Russian revolution proved to be a new phase for the Eastern Front. With the signing of the Brotfrieden between the Reich and the new Democratic Government in Russia in February many Poles were outraged by this since it maintained the pre-war border which placed some of their countrymen on the Russian side. Due to this and the fallout from the Oath Crisis lingering, the mood of the Polish citizens of the Reich became increasingly restive. When the Rich tried to create a new Council of State and call for local elections two power blocs formed. One of them was the National Electoral Committee (NEC), formed by “Activist” politicians willing to cooperate with the Tianxia and the Inter-partisan Political Circle (MKP) made up of “Passivists'' whose sympathies largely lay with the Central Powers. The results of the elections on April 37 saw that most of the seats went to the NEC.

When Chinese troops entered Vilnius along with the capture of the Kaiser many saw the writing on the wall that the war was over. One of the terms of the Treaty of Singapura was being a Polish state. This new state would be required to adopt a Chinese style of Democracy and allow a relative of the old Lithuanian King August on its throne. Also despite victory much of the Polish land suffered devastation and recession. Its economic recovery was reliant on the Commonwealth, a fact that many Poles resented since they were not any better off then they were.

1920 would see the first election to the Sejm. Despite this many members of the Polish Equalist Party (PES) boycotted the elections declaring them a sham, with much of the Sejm's composition largely being progressive despite a pro-government conservative plurality. With the "Activist" and "Passivists” distinction becoming increasingly irrelevant after 1918, the two factions of the regency era united into the Inter-partisan Political Circle as a pro-government, szlachta (the traditional Polish nobility)-dominated conservative coalition against an unofficial reformist bloc in the Sejm. However one of the largest parties, the Christian-Democratic Party or "Chadecja", broke away from the Circle. But their opposition proved to not be that effective due to the proposed coalition with the People's Party (PSL) failing to materialize. To this end this led to the leaders of Chadecja to be willing to work with anyone so long as the king was willing to work within a democratic government.

A postwar railroad boom benefited Poland greatly since its location made it a transport hub of Eastern Europe causing light industry to begin growing in the big cities. Economic ties with Galicia also deepened despite there being many Romanophile Poles who were radically opposed to living in a foreign country. Releasing that the new kingdom would not collapse and the belief that a group was needed that represented the working class caused many in the PES to abandon their boycott and participate in the next election. The unintended side effect being an even more divided parliament. Furthermore in an effort to strengthen its position the center-right united under the Christian Union of National Unity, "Chjena", which consisted of the Chadecja and other reform-minded breakaways from the Circle. This led to Jan Kucharzewski, a former member of the National Democrat party in the Circle to form a new coalition government consisting of conservative, Christian-democrat and peasant delegates.

The growing peace and stability in Poland allowed the government to try its hand at land reform. However due to the need for the support of the szlachta which hampered these efforts leading to it not being able to keep up with the growing population. 1925 would see Pilsudski being released from prison and placed on house arrest (albeit carefully monitored). Inflation also became an issue as the state printed lots of money to suppress rebels during the early days of the kingdom. This proved to be a double edged sword though in that this led to the printing of more Polish marka to fund reconstruction and agricultural reform. Due to an out of control currency August IV dismissed Kucharzewski and appointed Feliks Młynarski, another former National Democracy defector, as prime minister.

As prime minister Młynarski would embark on a massive currency reform by forming the Bank of Poland and replacing the marka with the złoty. This new currency was well-received in Poland and abroad, with China willing to allow some economic independence as long as these reforms do not harm Chinese investments. At around this time, General Li Bingzhi, a controversial figure in Poland, agreed with August IV to retire as head of the Chinese military mission to Lu Xiangting. There remains a growing problem in Poland as the monarchy and the right deepen when the Młynarski government reintroduced the National Democracy project of Polonisation, this mainly targeted Jews and areas with a Russian minority. Chinese would be exempted from these policies to avoid angering Nanjing. The policy would see the use of Yiddish heavily discouraged in cites, schools and even synagogues. Even though this gained approval by Polish nationalists like the National Democrats it gained the ire of many progressives and leftists who tried to form their own block to act as a bulwark against the growing influence of Endecja.

By 1931 the decade or so of peace that had existed in Poland would be rocked by the Creditanstalt Crisis in the Austrian region of Germania that spread through the former Reich and Poland. It caused a decline in railroad contracts which along with the bank failure caused a brief recession (it is considered by some historians to be one of the first dominos to fall that would lead to the Great Depression). To try and turn things around new elections were called and the king’s ministers had to accept a broad coalition of Chjena, the People’s Party, and the social democratic moderates from the Polish Equalist Party, excluding the Inter-partisan Political Circle for the first time.

At the head of this coalition is Tomasz Nocznicki, the leader of the PSL and a former member of the old Council of State. Despite some concern by the nobility about the fact that this has happened their control over the Sejm is not what it once was with many Poles hoping that the old party of the now-retired and officially apolitical Pilsudski would abolish the monarchy or allow for greater autonomy in foreign affairs. These hopes would soon turn to ash when the PES’ ministers of the new government would look toward cooperating with the king. PES leader Norbert Barlicki wanted to implement the Prussian SPD and their support of the monarchy as a model for Poland.

This new coalition embarked on an ambitious etatist project based on the works of Michał Kalecki and Edward Lipiński, two of Poland’s most prominent economists. New Economy Minister Władysław Kosieradzki worked with his brother Head of Agriculture Paweł on getting a royal assent for a massive industrial investment plan. To this end they borrowed a lot of money from the Bank of Poland and China. It is believed that about a billion złoty were set aside for the project and to develop heavy industry to supplement the country's light consumer goods. This allowed for major new construction projects like new steel mills, roads and canals and even a new automobile factory was built in Lublin. To many it appeared like new cities sprung up overnight.

In terms of social policy the coalition was in favor of ending Polonisation despite protest by the nobility and far-right. Policies like unemployment insurance and child benefits were implemented to ease the pains brought about by many Poles moving into Poland from the border regions looking for work during Poland’s four year plan. There was lax censorship and books and films depicting Poland’s independent history became more popular.

The Four Year Plan would prove to be a good thing for Poland in that by the end of it it saw Poland's economic woes recede and many consider her economic miracle to be a great success. But by 1934 there would be an increase in debt and the National Alliance began to fall apart. To make matters worse there was a growing distrust of leftist economists due to worsening relations with the Commune of Gallia stopped any more attempts at land reform for the foreseeable future. This caused the government with the support of the Christian Democrats to dissolve the Sejm and call for new elections, believing that the coalition “served its purpose”.

Despite this the elections were marred with a campaign of polarization followed by the MKP returning to power. The King would appoint Antoni Ponikowski as the new prime minister, who would go on to form a coalition with Chjena. In protest many leftist parties like the People’s Party and the Polish Equalist Party came together to form the Union for Defense of Law and Freedom of People or Centrolew to oppose the Circle’s contentious government. Despite not securing a majority Centrolew would have their position threatened should they fail to maintain their alliance with the Christian-Democrats.

In 1935 as the political situation grew more and more intense Józef Piłsudski would die. Despite being long retired and “officially” apolitical, his death would see a large outpouring of public sympathy along with increasing criticism at the government and Lithuanian influence in the country symbolized by the king. This exposed a weakness that the government had been evident for a while, but had been ignored due to the economic prosperity and the threat of a Tianxia invasion. That being that the King was not very popular. Early on the king was at least accepted due to his apparent distance in political matters but this changed after he ousted Nocznicki’s cabinet.

By 1936 Poland is being split into many competing camps. On one hand you have the interest of the Chinese and Lithuanians due to the formers military mission in training the Polish army and owning the KKWP (state railway company) and the latter's connection due to the king being a member of the Lithuanian nobility and Ruthenian investments in Polish industry. Then you have the republican faction largely united by the Centerolew who seek to depose the king and declare a republic but in a nonviolent way. The Revolutionary Committee, despite claiming to be moderate, has radicals and militias under its banner and is believed to be under the control of Paris. Lastly there is The National Committee formed by the Central Powers as their puppet government during the Weltkrieg. With the loss of the Central Powers in the war National Committee leader Roman Dmowski fled in exile to Tsarberg and the National Democrats were forced to the political fringes. They are divided into two factions. One being the conservative nationals who may begrudgingly work with the government but would stab them in the back if it meant a free and independent Poland. The other faction are the radical nationalist like the ONR. These radicals are known for going after their political opponents in the manner of Codreanu and Sakharov. They are very anti-Chinese, anti-Semitic and anti-Establishment. Who will come out of this battle royal on top is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great work as always. I really liked the details you put into this one. A few things I want to point out...

1291 would also be an important year for the Swiss due to three of the cantons along Lake Lucerne (Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalder) uniting into the Swiss Confederation. This alliance was due to the fact that there was a growth in dairy products due to pasturing horses and cattle along with better trade networks along the mountain passes to the Lowlands (Low Countries) and Italy. All this painted a target on the cantons. This is evident in the fact that in the thirteenth century the Habsburgs started an attempt to control the trade routes between the two parts of the Reich. This would lead to a series of wars with the Austrians for influence over the region.
You could play up the Habsburgs trying to control the trade routes more, since they controlled Poland, Austria, and Bavaria. That would make this feel less like OTL Swiss history and more like how the Swiss handled being in the same empire as the Habsburgs now.
During these conflicts many Swiss forces began to replace the halberd with the pike. The pike would require extensive drilling for soldiers to be able to use properly. The adoption of more pikemen into the army meant that soldiers had to be drilled to a high degree. This essentially redeveloped the Macedonian phalanx for the medieval age. In 1444 at St Jacob-en-Birs this new philosophy would be put to the test when a large French force of Armagnacs allied with Habsburg Archduke Freidrich II and sent 40,000 against 1,200 Swiss. About 25% of the Swiss force were pikemen but they were able to turn the battle into a stalemate. Five hours into the battle though the Swiss began to fallback to St. Jacob hospital. Despite losing almost their entire fighting force the Swiss took with them about 4,000 enemy soldiers. In the fourteenth Century the cantons of Lucerne, Zuruch, Zug and Bern would also join the confederation.
Again, play up the Habsburg internal domination angle. Like the whole French alliance would be great since that would effectively give the Habsburgs and Sigmaringens control over a large part of the Reich and the trade routes.
Another incident came in 1476 when Charles the Bold Duke of Burgundy advanced on Berne. This proved to be one of the pivotal moments in that it proved that the square pike formation was successful. This caused many in the Reich to take notice of the Swiss forces with many nobles starting to use them as bodyguards. By the mid-sixteenth century many Swiss units were recruited by the nobility for their reliable, loyal and ferocious fighting style often fighting with their lords on the frontlines. Due to their limited number as guards many mercenaries used the Halberd and a gold-hilted longsword.
I don't think I had a separate Burgundian vassal at the end of CK2. You could just have it be another French or Habsburg attack.
In later years the Swiss Guard would be best known for their role in being the Guards of the Ecumenical Patriarch’s. Two reasons why the Swiss were used was because of their ability to move in unison and because of their political neutrality. A notable person in regards to this effort was Peter von Hertensein. A lesser cleric who performed different tasks for different Patriarch’s. Hertensein would recommend Kaspar von Silenen, a distant relative, to head this force. The force would consist of 200 men and be funded by the Fugger Banking Family. Despite this some problems arose like the cantons trying to limit the number of men in service to nobles and the occupation itself becoming unpopular. This was because of an incident in 1500 in which the French and Milan Swiss Guard fought each other. Due to these factors and steep competition with other nobles the Patriarch’s could only get 150 troops.
I'm pretty sure the Varangians also guard the Ecumenical Patriarch, but I guess they could've hired the Swiss Guard as well. The political neutrality angle probably wouldn't work here since the Swiss are just another part of the Reich, but they could have been picked due to them being extremely devout and religious.
that would ultimately bring the First Reich down with many Germanic tribes migrating into the Reich.
I've been moving away from the whole "First/Second Empire" terminology lately, but that would be the proper term. I like to think it's an older historiographical term that's not preferred by modern historians but was common in older records.
Friedrich von Hohenzollern, a minor Duke from Brandenburg, would be elected as the new Kaiser.
He was officially the Margrave of the Northern March (Nordmark), and at the time he was elected the Holy Roman Emperor he had been elevated to King of Jerusalem and Germany. The title of Duchy of Brandenburg would be created later (like in OTL).
Friedrich would go on a conquering spree. Taking Pomerania, Poland, Hungary, Dacia, France, the British Isles, Egypt and the Levant. He would even put his son Wilhelm on the throne in Constantinople only for him and his wife to die in 1102.
I might retcon this in the 11th century rework, but you don't have to change anything here at the moment. This is technically correct.
In France for instance a German was placed on the French throne named Friedrich von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen followed by a massive influx of German settlers
For the record, this happened during Friedrich the Great's reign, not Wilhelmina's. And I've retconned the name to just Sigmaringen at this point.
Some positive events that happened during these years was the “discovery” of both a sea route to India and an entirely new continent known as the Eimericas.
Just to clarify, the Reich and Europeans were largely aware of the New World by the 13th century (because of the Mexica's existence), and Eimerich's "discovery" was more the Reich getting the technology and money it needed to finally cross the ocean and take the fight back to the Mexica homeland. That's how I described it in EU4.
The capital of this new territory was to be the city of Aachen known as the preferred medieval residence of Frankish Emperor Charlemagne and the home of 31 Holy Roman Emperors.
Would a bunch of syndicalists really want to set up their headquarters in a former imperial capital, the home of Charlemagne, and the burial place of 31 emperors?
Vaterländische Front or Fatherland Front. This group led by its founder Engelbert Dollfuss and its Teutonic militias
Engelbert was an apolitical Inquisitor in HOI3, and I doubt that would change here.
szlachta (the traditional Polish nobility)-dominated conservative coalition
After about 800 years of Germanization, I don't think the Polish nobility would refer themselves as szalachta or identify themselves any different from the German nobility in the west.
Reichophile
I think the proper term would be Romanophile.
areas with a Ukrainian minority
I never found a good place to bring this up before, but I like to imagine our Russia having a northern-southern cultural divide. It wouldn't be too big that there are two separate cultures, but something like Northerner and Southerner cultures in the US. The northern Russians, focused on Tsarberg, would have a culture closer to OTL Russian and have more pagan influences as it took much longer for the north to be Christianized, while the southern Russians, focused on Kyiv, have a culture similar to OTL Ukrainian and have more Christian influences since Kyiv and the heart of Kievan Rus had already converted to Christianity for a few decades before the Pagan Resurgence.
In terms of social policy the coalition was in favor of ending Polonisation despite protest by the nobility and fair-right.
*far-right

Reactions:
You could play up the Habsburgs trying to control the trade routes more, since they controlled Poland, Austria, and Bavaria. That would make this feel less like OTL Swiss history and more like how the Swiss handled being in the same empire as the Habsburgs now.
Again, play up the Habsburg internal domination angle. Like the whole French alliance would be great since that would effectively give the Habsburgs and Sigmaringens control over a large part of the Reich and the trade routes.
I edited this to include some military stuff as well.

I'm pretty sure the Varangians also guard the Ecumenical Patriarch, but I guess they could've hired the Swiss Guard as well. The political neutrality angle probably wouldn't work here since the Swiss are just another part of the Reich, but they could have been picked due to them being extremely devout and religious.
In TTL I had the Varangians guard the Hohenzollern's and the Swiss Guard the Ecumenical Patriarch's. I also had the Swiss guard the "leaser nobility" like Counts and Dukes with the Varangians again guarding the Hohenzollern's.

I've been moving away from the whole "First/Second Empire" terminology lately, but that would be the proper term. I like to think it's an older historiographical term that's not preferred by modern historians but was common in older records.
I was inspired by the way that @CaptainAlvious used for Volkerschlact. That being how the updates for Volkerschlact were based off of "World of Kaisserich" and how both of those sounded like diary entries or public speeches. So for Tianxia I would say that most of these updates could have been written in universe at around this time were the terms don't have as much baggage as they do both in OTL and in the modern days of TTL's actual story.

Would a bunch of syndicalists really want to set up their headquarters in a former imperial capital, the home of Charlemagne, and the burial place of 31 emperors?
I think it could be similar to OTL Berlin in were the Berlin Palace was heavily damaged in WWII and was replaced with the Palace of the Republic until it was destroyed in the early 2000's for the reconstructed Berlin Palace which was completed in 2020. Whos to say that during the syndicate revolt many former Imperial landmarks were damaged and by TTL's 1936 are in the prosses of being demolished and replaced?

After about 800 years of Germanization, I don't think the Polish nobility would refer themselves as szalachta or identify themselves any different from the German nobility in the west.
I took inspersion of the anti-Roman policies that the Soviets did in the actual story and thought that since Lithuania was anti-Roman in the early 1900's a similar policy could be perused?

I never found a good place to bring this up before, but I like to imagine our Russia having a northern-southern cultural divide. It wouldn't be too big that there are two separate cultures, but something like Northerner and Southerner cultures in the US. The northern Russians, focused on Tsarberg, would have a culture closer to OTL Russian and have more pagan influences as it took much longer for the north to be Christianized, while the southern Russians, focused on Kyiv, have a culture similar to OTL Ukrainian and have more Christian influences since Kyiv and the heart of Kievan Rus had already converted to Christianity for a few decades before the Pagan Resurgence.
If that is true then I guess like how the north won against the south in OTL the north won the cultural war against the south in TTL's Russia with the Pagan Resurgence?

In TTL I had the Varangians guard the Hohenzollern's and the Swiss Guard the Ecumenical Patriarch's. I also had the Swiss guard the "leaser nobility" like Counts and Dukes with the Varangians again guarding the Hohenzollern's.
Sure.
I was inspired by the way that @CaptainAlvious used for Volkerschlact. That being how the updates for Volkerschlact were based off of "World of Kaisserich" and how both of those sounded like diary entries or public speeches. So for Tianxia I would say that most of these updates could have been written in universe at around this time were the terms don't have as much baggage as they do both in OTL and in the modern days of TTL's actual story.
Alright, you make a good point.
I think it could be similar to OTL Berlin in were the Berlin Palace was heavily damaged in WWII and was replaced with the Palace of the Republic until it was destroyed in the early 2000's for the reconstructed Berlin Palace which was completed in 2020. Whos to say that during the syndicate revolt many former Imperial landmarks were damaged and by TTL's 1936 are in the prosses of being demolished and replaced?
Another good point.
I took inspersion of the anti-Roman policies that the Soviets did in the actual story and thought that since Lithuania was anti-Roman in the early 1900's a similar policy could be perused?
Then you could say how they revived the name szalachta to differentiate themselves from the Germans.
If that is true then I guess like how the north won against the south in OTL the north won the cultural war against the south in TTL's Russia with the Pagan Resurgence?
It's not necessarily a cultural war as it is a political one. In OTL, Muscovy conquered all of the other principalities and became Russia, which is why the later tsardom and empire was notoriously autocratic. But here the remaining pagan southern Rus principalities took charge and absorbed the northerners, which is why our Russia is heavily Ukrainian influenced and not as autocratic. Which is why Kyiv is a major center of Russian culture and political power, while Moscow remains a minor town with no political relevance.

As expected, this section of the world has quite a lot going on.

Last edited: