The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh. Oh dear. Yeah, I can honestly say I didn't see that coming. That complicates things.

To @CaptainAlvious 's post, meticulous work as always.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looked through old bookmarks and rediscovered this thread for the first time since 2018, but why is the title Jerusalem? Might be wrong but I could have sworn it was Rome although barely remember most of this timeline, might read it again.

Looked through old bookmarks and rediscovered this thread for the first time since 2018, but why is the title Jerusalem? Might be wrong but I could have sworn it was Rome although barely remember most of this timeline, might read it again.
It'll become clear as you read the more recent chapters.

Counterattack, Part 3
Glad to have you back Zen. I agree with everyone else that that was quite a cliffhanger. I am glad that you were kind to us.

the Panopticon estimated a 99% chance of total victory
Yes but even that one chance of failure is sometimes all it takes for a plan to go sideways.

Yep, Theodor was right.
It is not offten that he is.

Timeline 191​

All in all great showing of how Timeline 191 could be different in TTL.

In December of 1904, a new armored combat vehicle dubbed the “barrel” is invented and widely adopted by Neurhomania
I do wonder though why did you keep the name for Tanks being Barrel in this story? The reason being is that in OTL the reason that Tanks were called tanks to begin with was because the British used it as a code word to confuse the Germans. With tank being the British name for something that holds a lot of water. In America the name for something that holds a lot of water is a Barrel. One idea that I have on what it could be called that fits in universe could be something like Chariot?

fascist parties like Freiheitspartei, led by ex-sergeant Joachim Federstein
I guess the Freiheitspartei and Joachim Frederstein are based off of Markos Angelos and his followers?

Also I am going to be able to post my Tianxia update on the Balkans on Friday so that @CaptainAlvious's post can "breath" and so that I am not posting it immediately before Part 4 on Sunday.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to have you back Zen. I agree with everyone else that that was quite a cliffhanger. I am glad that you were kind to us.
Now let's see how it will be resolved, next week on Dragon Ball Z!
Yes but even that one chance of failure is sometimes all it takes for a plan to go sideways.
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.
It is not offten that he is.
Hell is an icy wasteland at this point.
I do wonder though why did you keep the name for Tanks being Barrel in this story? The reason being is that in OTL the reason that Tanks were called tanks to begin with was because the British used it as a code word to confuse the Germans. With tank being the British name for something that holds a lot of water. In America the name for something that holds a lot of water is a Barrel. One idea that I have on what it could be called that fits in universe could be something like Chariot?
That was my suggestion in a DM to brainstorm that post. Keep it "barrels" both as an alt-history diversion from OTL and because it was done in the actual TL-191 books.
I guess the Freiheitspartei and Joachim Frederstein are based off of Markos Angelos and his followers?
In the actual books, the Confederacy of the 1930s falls under the sway of the Freedom Party and its charismatic leader, Jake Featherston. Both are completely original characters with no ties to real historical figures or movements. So the Freiheitspartei and Federstein are similarly completely original creations, not based on Angelos or his followers. I suggested that as well to keep a parallel to the original books.
Also I am going to be able to post my Tianxia update on the Balkans on Friday so that @CaptainAlvious's post can "breath" and so that I am not posting it immediately before Part 4 on Sunday.
Fair enough.

I'm looking forward to your Balkan update. Glad you liked my post. Also, I saw Zen already answered your questions, so I'll let his reply speak for itself.

And so after quite a while since my last update but here is the long awaited one on the Balkans again sorry it took so long to come out. One of my New Years Resolutions is getting at least the Central Europe update and maybe the China Rework update done soon and get started on the Cyberpunk ones this summer we will see how that goes.

Tianxia-Legacy of the Great War:
The Balkans

The Balkans.JPG

Light Brown = Illyricum/Yugoslavia
Dark Pink = Hungary
Yellow/Beige = Dacia
Darker Blue = Römisches Reich

Light Blue = Order of Rhodes/Knights Hospitaller​
Illyricum/Yugoslavia
It has been said that the region of Illyricum is a land of many peoples. From the Illyrians, Slavs and Greeks to the Germanic peoples of Central Europe. What can be said about Illyricum is that Slavic people started migrating to the region after the First Empire collapsed, they would end up bringing their culture and language to the area before converting to Chrisatianity. Illyricum would eventually be conquered by Friedrich the Great’s armies leading to a land border with the Second Empire. The war would see the Holy Roman Empire annex Croatia and install a Habsburg ruler with the Second Empire getting Serbia. After the restoration of the Reich the region would continue to be a hotbed of heretic resistance well into the 1800’s. During the Maximists War Illyricum was one of the provinces that joined the Maximists side but the Battle of Prizren proved to be one of the decisive victories of the war in that it allowed loyalist forces to advance through the Balkans. When Franz Ferdinand was assassinated Imperial citizens throughout the region held public gatherings to show their support to the Monarchy. These gatherings would turn into anti-Lithuanian riots with various properties being damaged. At the start of the war many Illyrians joined the legions with many of the local Legions consisting of personnel from all across the region which led to a mild language barrier. However after the first few trains carrying the dead returned from the front many Illyrians began to see the true cost of war. Despite that many Illyrians served from the Legions and about 34% of the Adriatic Fleet consisted of Illyrians. Even the Imperial Flying Corp had a significant number of Illyrians. However by the end of the war groups known as the Green Cadres began to rise. Those were groups of people all with different goals ranging from those who were antiwar, those that wanted to rob from the rich and give to the poor, and those that were just plain criminals. The Roman Civil War would see many regions of the Reich break away where in 1918 the Zagreb resolution passed by 10 Illyrian political parties which would lead to the creation of a new state consisting of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs.

All would not be peaceful in the new State however. Since the beginning many people debated as to what the name of the new Kingdom should be. Some wanted to go back to their Ancient History and use the name Illyria. However many pan-Slavic nationalist wanted a complete break from the Reich and the oppression that they felt they suffered from. In the end the nationalist won out and the Kingdom became known as Yugoslavia or Land of South Slavs. However all was not well in the Land of South Slavs with a growing divide between the government who wanted to centralize the kingdom and the many peoples residing within who were against centralization. This led to the Democratic Party to ally with more radical politicians in an attempt to get their legislation though. This would lead to the Vidovdan Constitution passing on June 28th, 1921 which established Yugoslavia as a unitary monarchy. Despite this growing decent within the Democratic Party would lead to a new party to gain more and more seats. This party was known as the Croatian Peasant Party which sought more rights for Croats and for a decentralization of the country. In order to try and quell some of the internal unrest in 1934 King Alexander planned to release Maček from prison, introduce democratic reforms, and attempt to find common ground between Serbs and Croats. On October 9th, 1934 however King Alexander was assassinated in Gaul by Vlado Chernozemski, a member of the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization who advocated for the Macedonian People to get their own state and who had contacts with the Ustaše a far-right Croatian organization. Alexander's son Peter II was next in line but due to him being 11 at the time Alexander's cousin Paul has been ruling as regent. By 1936 it remains unclear as to what will happen to the Land of South Slavs. Will the Kingdom prevail or will ethnic nationalism tear the country apart?

Hungary
The region of Carpathia is a region that by the Middle Ages came to be inhabited by the nomadic Magyars. The Magyars were a group of horse riders that initially worshiped the same gods that Genghis Khan followed. After their conquest of the Carpathian plains chief Arpad would convert to Christianity and become the “King of Hungary.” until it was annexed by Friedrich the Great in the late 11th century. After Hungary was annexed Werner von Habsburg was appointed to the throne of Hungary leading to the Habsburgs ruling it until The Arpads inherited Hungary again. As time went on Hungary would be a battleground between forces like Romans, Russians, Lithuanians, etc, etc. Despite this Hungary would grow into being a center for German culture with Budapest rising to the status similar to Vienna and Prague. After the Reich's defeat in the Great War Hungary's mostly agrarian economy has not been able to weather the storm due to cheap grain coming in from eastern Europe. As time went on the Kingdom began to create a new national army along with a growing strain of aggressive and expansionist nationalism. This rising nationalism wanted to unite the Balkans under Hungarian leadership. This was prevented by Prussian meddling in 1927 which saw a rise in anti-Prussian sentiment. For now Hungarian nationals bid their time for the moment when the Crown Lands of St. Stephen will finally be restored to the Magyar nation.

Dacia
The region of Dacia and its people are as old as the Reich itself. Like with most modern European people’s the Dacians migrated into the area between the Carpathian Mountains and the Black Sea. They would be influenced by their Scythian and Celtic neighbors to the north and west respectively. Over time they would grow into a Kingdom that could stand up to Rome until it was conquered by the Romans and made into a Province in 106 CE. The province would be constantly raided by various peoples such as the Sarmatians, Carpi and the newly arrived Germanic tribes like the Goths, Taifali, Heruli, and Bastarnae, until the region became split with some of it going to the Second Empire and another part going to Attila’s Hunnic Empire in the 370’s CE. In 1105 CE the region would once again be united under a new Roman Reich but like most regions conquered by the Reich Dacia experienced a level of Germanization in Transylvania and a period of Hellenization in the regions of Wallachia and Moldavia.

After the Weltkrieg widespread revanchism and anger over Rome's loss in the war and an incompetent government led to a rise in support for radical parties. Mainly those on the ultranationalist end of the spectrum. This led to various groups in the province being targeted as scapegoats. Groups like Bolsheviks, Russians and Muslems were believed to have stabbed the Reich in the back. One of the more prominent up and coming ultranationalist leaders was the young and charismatic Corneliu Zelea Codreanu and his movement the Legion of the Archangel Michael. This rise would gain steam in the early 1930’s in which many establishment parties like the Conservative Party were losing membership. There were some in the provincial government that viewed Codreanu and his movement favorably in the sense that his inexperience would make him easy to controle. The deal would be that the Legion would help the government in achieving national glory while the government would make it easier for the legion to become part of the government. Codreanu accepted the deal.

However some were not happy with this arrangement. The most prominent opponent was Prime Minister I.G Duca. This tension came to a head in 1933 when Duca was ordered to step down due to his party's poor management of the economy. But Duca was not deterred and vowed to fight this to the end. This proved to be fatal in that not only did his party lose but Duca himself was gunned down in early January 1934 by Legionary youths of Aromanian origin.

Once in power the Legionary movement got to work immediately. One of the first things that started happening was that the Legions political opponents were starting to be arrested with many others saving themselves by swearing their loyalty to the new government. Other policies were a land reform in 1934 but was halted when some prominent landowners appealed to the Governor, now Chancellor, who then ordered Codreanu to halt on the reforms. This would create a rift between the Chancellor and Codreanu. A rift that persists to this day. At the dawn of 1936 Dacia was a nation of contradictions. On one hand to those on the outside Dacia looks like it is on the slow road to recovery. But on the other hand the power struggle between the Chancellor and the Captain persists. Despite this both sides believe in national unification and self-strengthening. A goal that the resurgent state may have the abilities to achieve sooner rather than later.

The Römisches Reich
Greece is considered by many to be one of the oldest civilizations on Earth. Greece has been around longer than even the city of Rome. It is the home of the Olympic Games and of famous philosophers like Aristotle, Socrates and Plato. Despite all of this in its early history Greece was not a unified kingdom and would only be unified when it was conquered by the rising Macedon Empire of Alexander the Great. Alexander would then go on to conquer most of the Middle East before the Empire would fracture after Alexander's death. The Roman Republic would take advantage of this Greek disunity and conquer Greece at the Battle of Corinth in 146 BCE. From what might have at first felt like the end of the world to man Greeks it in some ways proved to be a blessing. This was due to the advanced Roman road network that allowed Greek ideas to spread out farther than ever before reaching as far away places like Gaul and Britannia. Over time the Greeks would go on to rule the empire that conquered them with the fall of the First Empire in 476 CE. This new Second Empire would have its capital in Constantinople and would prioritize Greek language over Latin. The empire would experience a golden age under Justinian I who ruled from 527–565 and would see the Empire retake places like North Africa, the Balkans, Italia and southern Hispania. The empire would go through a period of decline however where they would lose ground to other powers like the Arab Caliphate until in 1104 it would unite with the Holy Roman Empire of Friedrich the Glorious into a new Römisches Reich. Despite once again being subjugated by outsiders the Greeks would in a sense be the co-rulers of the Reich with Greek being one of the official languages beside German. During the Roman Civil War from 1848-1854 the provinces of Graecia, Mesopotamia, Anatolia and Taurica would go on to form the core of Siegfriedist resistance against the Maximists with Constantinople being the temporary capital. Even though the Maximists were defeated in 1854 CE and peace would reign it would not reign for long, for in 1914 Franz Ferdinand was killed and the Greeks along with nearly every Roman demanded revenge. This rash decision would prove to be the Reich’s undoing.

With the victory of the Chinese lead Tianxia alliance the Reich would lose the war with millions dead in smoldering shell craters. This would lead to the rise of different political groups that would help to tear the country apart. During this chaos Graecia, Mesopotamia, Anatolia and Taurica would band together and form a new state based on the Second Empire. This empire (named the Fourth Reich) despite claiming to live up to the old ideas of Augustinian Code, would be a mainly Greek and Christian dominated government. That along with a growing Fascist movement targeting those that they consider to have been the cause of the Reich’s collapse and a government that is seemingly not doing anything about it would anger many of the empire's minorities. Most notably the Germans. The Germans who settled the area were originally poor farmers who would later migrate into Anatolia after being discriminated against by some bitter Greek nobles who resented being incorporated into the Reich. It is a region that before has been inhabited by peoples like the Hittites, Persians, Romans, Greeks, Celts and Armenians. As time went on there began a growing tension between the Germans and Greeks that would grow until September 23, 1922 where a fire was started in Smyrna. This fire, believed to have been started by a Greeks citizen who knocked over a candle but would soon see Greeks nationalists stoking the fires and preventing any firemen from putting it out. When asked by the firemen who was giving the order to keep the fires going the nationalists would not say. By October German nationalists would declare an independent Anatolia. Despite being crushed by government forces the act of rebellion still burned in the Empires German population. This outrage would be exemplified by one man who known as Markos Angelos, a former brigadier general in the army, would seek to kick the Imperialist from Anatolia and create a modern nation. The resulting German War of Independence would initially see rebel forces make good ground however after the defeat at the Battles of Sakarya and İnönü the rebels would continually be on the defensive wearing guerrilla champagne to resist the numerically superior Imperial Army. During all of this a Imperial Commander named Grigorios Petridis would propose a policy of “Scorched Earth”. This policy would have one German farm burned for every attack and would escalate to every farm in a 16 Kilometer radius to then do away with the policy all together in favor of burning all German farms and putting the families of those Germans that were still fighting into camps. These camps would be exposed by a journalist whose petitions to the Government ended up causing the conditions to improve somewhat. After the war Angelos and many of the rebel leaders would be killed with Petridis never be tried for his own crimes and would die when a family member of one of the victims fired a pistol at him before being shot by Petridis' own guards. This however has caused some to think that the empire might soon go down a dark path. A path that might set Europe ablaze again.

Sovereign Military Order of Rhodes/Knights Hospitaller
It has been said that the earliest known evidence of the Knights Hospitaller began as a group of doctors and caretakers operating a hospital in Jerusalem then under Muslim control. These early givers of mercy would benefit from European sponsors such as the Amalfitan merchant Mauro of Pantaleone. The main Hospital of St. John would be the main place that the Knights would control. During the Crusade for Jerusalem the hospital under Gerard remained. Gerard is said to have dropped loaves of bread to the Crusaders who after the Christians took the city lavished Gerard with gifts. Under the Pie postulatio voluntatis on February 15th, 1113 the Pope placed the hospital under his direct command with the order to aid the poor. Over time the order would militarize and would be given control of Crac de Chevaliers, Anaz, Tell Kalah, Qalaat el Felis and Mardabech as fiefs against Muslim attacks. The Knights would join the Armies of the Reich in its conquest of most of the Middle East and become powerful as a result. However their fortunes would evaporate during the fall of the Reich where they would be forced to evacuate to the Island of Rhodes. From there the order bides its time until it can retake the Holy Land again.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great work. A few things to point out:
The war would see the Holy Roman Empire annex Croatia and install a Habsburg ruler with the Second Empire getting Serbia.
I might retcon this in a definitive edition since that was just me abusing game mechanics to blob. That's pretty much how I rushed to the Restoration within 40 years of game start, as opposed to the game the "alternate timeline" was based on where it took me until the 12th century.
King Alexander
I know you're using the Kaiserreich historical figures, but what dynasty would Alexander be from in this timeline?
After Hungary was annexed Werner von Habsburg was appointed to the throne of Hungary leading to the Habsburgs ruling it until The Arpads inherited Hungary again.
Again, like Croatia this might be retconned. Or not, since from my current research 11th century Hungary might be a major opponent to Friedrich the Great and have to be forcibly integrated into the emerging Reich.
Dacia experienced a level of Germanization.
I think I remember Dacia being Hellenized instead in CK2, or at least the non-Transylvanian parts.
would only be unified when it was conquered by the rising Roman Republic
Technically all of Greece was united under Alexander the Great, before it became part of the Roman Republic.
The Turks were originally a nomadic people from Northern Asia who would later migrate into Anatolia, a region that before has been inhabited by peoples like the Hittites, Persians, Romans, Greeks and Armenians.
I'm not so sure about that. The Turkic migrations into Anatolia didn't happen to the same extent as in real life due to a lack of Manzikert, a stronger (and more competent) Roman military presence, and Alp Arslan focusing on internal Persian matters due to the whole Zoroastrianization thing. Though I did mention there were some Turks who settled in Anatolia and Thrace, there weren't too many of them. Perhaps instead of Turks you could have the Smyrna fire be started by a German, pitting the Germans and Greeks against each other. Think that would work better.

Reactions:
Great job @GhostRider124 , the highlight of this update for me would be the Roman rump state in Greece and Anatolia. Looking forward to the central europe update and your plans for Prussia.
I know you're using the Kaiserreich historical figures, but what dynasty would Alexander be from in this timeline?
I think the Taronites were brought up as a possible ruling family of Illyria in EU4 (contradicting the Origins of Modernity updates), but I'm guessing that's subject retcon like Habsburg Illyria and Hungary.
Again, like Croatia this might be retconned. Or not, since from my current research 11th century Hungary might be a major opponent to Friedrich the Great and have to be forcibly integrated into the emerging Reich.
Seems like it could go either way given political intrigue in 11th century Hungary, but I can definitely see certain Hungarian factions being opposed to Fredrich the Great. After all, Hungary did have a huge pagan uprising a couple decades before 1066, so I could definitely see either the Pagans or Pro-Pope factions influencing Hungary after the Pagan Resurgence.
Technically all of Greece was united under Alexander the Great, before it became part of the Roman Republic.
For the most part yes, but Sparta was left out of the League of Corinth.
I'm not so sure about that. The Turkic migrations into Anatolia didn't happen to the same extent as in real life due to a lack of Manzikert, a stronger (and more competent) Roman military presence, and Alp Arslan focusing on internal Persian matters due to the whole Zoroastrianization thing. Though I did mention there were some Turks who settled in Anatolia and Thrace, there weren't too many of them. Perhaps instead of Turks you could have the Smyrna fire be started by a German, pitting the Germans and Greeks against each other. Think that would work better.
Good idea, I think Ghostrider got this depiction of the Smyrna fire from Chapter 276, but I think it would fit better in a definitive edition if the fire was started by Germans spurred on by Angelos' nationalist rhetoric , kinda like the OTL Istanbul Pogroms.

Last edited:
Basically I am using a lot of Kaiserreich lore but I am using some of OTL's history as well. For example Alexander would be based off of Alexander I of Yugoslavia.

Good idea, I think Ghostrider got this depiction of the Smyrna fire from Chapter 276, but I think it would fit better in a definitive edition if the fire was started by Germans spurred on by Angelos' nationalist rhetoric , kinda like the OTL Istanbul Pogroms.
In that case maybe the Germans were farmers who could have moved into central Anatolia since they might not have been able to have that much opportunity in Greece and were discriminated against by the Greek nobility and were spurred on to rebellion by Angelos' who wanted the region to be loyal to the Hohenzollerns in Germania?

I think the Taronites were brought up as a possible ruling family of Illyria G (contradicting the Origins of Modernity updates), but I'm guessing that's subject retcon like Habsburg Illyria and Hungary.
I think that chapter would take precedent over Origins of Modernity, so yes, probably the Taronites.
Seems like it could go either way given political intrigue in 11th century Hungary, but I can definitely see certain Hungarian factions being opposed to Fredrich the Great. After all, Hungary did have a huge pagan uprising a couple decades before 1066, so I could definitely see either the Pagans or Pro-Pope factions influencing Hungary after the Pagan Resurgence.
The pagans might cause the papal factions to become more radical and violent and get more support.
For the most part yes, but Sparta was left out of the League of Corinth.
That was under Phillip II. Sparta was part of Alexander’s empire.
Good idea.
Basically I am using a lot of Kaiserreich lore but I am using some of OTL's history as well. For example Alexander would be based off of Alexander I of Yugoslavia.
Alright.
In that case maybe the Germans were farmers who could have moved into central Anatolia since they might not have been able to have that much opportunity in Greece and were discriminated against by the Greek nobility and were spurred on to rebellion by Angelos' who wanted the region to be loyal to the Hohenzollerns in Germania?
Might be better if it was just a random German who did it, which would set off violence between Germans and Greeks that Angelos exploits by favoring the Germans.

Might be better if it was just a random German who did it, which would set off violence between Germans and Greeks that Angelos exploits by favoring the Germans.
Come to think of it, it’s kinda weird to see Angelos screw over Greeks in favor of the Germans, considering the Angeloi are a Greek Dynatoi. Granted, the OTL Angeloi were somewhat responsible for the Foruth Crusade, so it’s not like they do much protecting. Kinda ironic I mentioned the Istanbul pogroms when there was did a pogrom against Catholics in Constantinople that help lead to the Fourth Crusade.

Also @GhostRider124, I think that’s Venice owning Crete, but I wonder what are the orange and light blue nations that own the Aegean Islands?

Last edited:
Come to think of it, it’s kinda weird to see Angelos screw over Greeks in favor of the Germans, considering the Angeloi are a Greek Dynatoi. Granted, the OTL Angeloi were somewhat responsible for the Foruth Crusade, so it’s not like they do much protecting. Kinda ironic I mentioned the Istanbul pogroms when there was did a pogrom against Catholics in Constantinople that help lead to the Fourth Crusade.
Yea I did use the "Smyrna fire from Chapter 276" as inspiration which would then lead to my Greco-Turkish War/Second Boar War inspired rebellion. Also the inspiration for Angelos in TTL was based on Herbert Kitchener and how he died was inspired by Huey Long. Mabey a possible solution could be that instead of Grigorios Petridis (which is a random name with Grigorios meaning watchful; alert; awake and Petridis meaning the son of Petros or rock) it could be Angelos in charge of the Greeks and still dying like Huey after the war and a original character leading the German rebels?

Also @GhostRider124, I think that’s Venice owning Crete, but I wonder what are the orange and light blue nations that own the Aegean Islands?
Yes that is Venice owning Crete and the orange is Genoa. I was a bit inspired by the Maritime republics of the Middle Ages. The more I think about it the light blue I took inspiration from The Knights Hospitaller from EU4 but since I do not have them for the update I might need to add them in and do that German Revolt in Anatolia.

I also found it weird when I was going through that arc. I could rationalize it as Angelos being from a German branch of the family which kept the Greek name.
Yea I did use the "Smyrna fire from Chapter 276" as inspiration which would then lead to my Greco-Turkish War/Second Boar War inspired rebellion. Also the inspiration for Angelos in TTL was based on Herbert Kitchener and how he died was inspired by Huey Long. Mabey a possible solution could be that instead of Grigorios Petridis (which is a random name with Grigorios meaning watchful; alert; awake and Petridis meaning the son of Petros or rock) it could be Angelos in charge of the Greeks and still dying like Huey after the war and a original character leading the German rebels?
Nah, I like the original Petridis character.
Yes that is Venice owning Crete and the orange is Genoa. I was a bit inspired by the Maritime republics of the Middle Ages. The more I think about it the light blue I took inspiration from The Knights Hospitaller from EU4 but since I do not have them for the update I might need to add them in and do that German Revolt in Anatolia.
Yeah, that might work better.

Okay I was able to add some information on the Knights Hospitaller but I was not able to put in its history between I think the 1100 to 1900 since I do not think we know that much about it in the main story. I also did the Anatolian Rework in were I replaced Atatürk with Angelos and kept Petridis as being on the Greek side. I do find it weird that in TTL Angelos is a hero instead of a villain but whose to say that if his rebellion succeeded that he would not have become the Angelos we all know and despise from HOI3?

Okay I was able to add some information on the Knights Hospitaller but I was not able to put in its history between I think the 1100 to 1900 since I do not think we know that much about it in the main story. I also did the Anatolian Rework in were I replaced Atatürk with Angelos and kept Petridis as being on the Greek side. I do find it weird that in TTL Angelos is a hero instead of a villain but whose to say that if his rebellion succeeded that he would not have become the Angelos we all know and despise from HOI3?
That’s fine, we don’t need to talk much about the Knights Hospitaller. And yes, it’s pretty funny how Angelos is a hero here.

Counterattack, Part 4

Isfahan

The video ended. Wilhelmina stared at the screen for what felt like a minute.

“Willie?” Gunduz said. “Willie?!”

“Yeah, I’m still here,” Wilhelmina finally said, “What the frak is this?”

“The most obvious trap in all of human civilization since the frakking Trojan Horse, that’s what it is.”

“I know that, but…them?!” Two royal families, Jayasimha, Lakshmi, and…KRESGE?! Of all people, they got Kresge. I’m glad he’s alive, but I really didn’t expect to see him there.

“Willie, don’t do what I think you’re going to do,” Gunduz said, “Go frakking think carefully. You know damn well what his goal is. A sniveling backstabbing dishonorable jende like him can’t even be trusted with walking a goddamn dog.”

“You think I don’t know that?” Wilhelmina said. “But I can’t just stay here and let them die.”

“You let my people handle it. I’ll send an extraction team to Sedeh, break them out before the deadline—”

“No, they won’t make it.” Wilhelmina looked at the Persians assaulting the line of Crusaders a block away. “I don’t think they can get there before Elias notices. But I can.”

“Willie, let’s be real,” Gunduz said, “You’re just one woman. A middle-aged grandmother thirty years past her prime, armed with only a sword. What makes you think you can go up against an entire enemy stronghold on your own?”

Wilhelmina didn’t respond. Although the sounds of gunfire echoed around her, she heard the gears creaking in Gunduz’s head.

“No,” Gunduz said, “You can’t possibly…oh. Hell no, we’re not frakking doing this.”

“It might be the only way to save them.”

“Are you seriously thinking about this? After only two frakking minutes?!”

“If you think about it, their survival is crucial,” Wilhelmina explained, “If the royal families of both Russia and Livonia are completely wiped out…I’d rather not imagine that. Same goes for Jayasimha and Lakshmi. India’s already been screwed over enough lately. And Kresge? I don’t know what he’s doing there, but he doesn’t deserve to die like that. If they die, it’ll be a huge blow to our morale.”

“And what if you die, Willie?!” Gunduz responded. “Have you ever thought about what happens if you die? The even bigger blow to our morale? Have you considered how everyone would feel? How I would feel?”

Wilhelmina paused for a moment. This is all rather sudden, yes. But we don’t have time to think. I know you’re not going to agree with me, Gunduz, but I feel like I have to do this. “I’ve got no choice.”

“Willie, please!” Gunduz’s tone became pleading and desperate. “Don’t you frakking dare!”

“I hope you forgive me, Gunduz.” Wilhelmina got on Heidi and rode towards the Crusader line, which surprisingly made way for her.

“PLEASE! Think of everyone! Think of me!”

“I am.”

“What you’re planning isn’t going to work!”

“I at least have to try.” Wilhelmina dropped her earpiece on the pavement and continued riding.

I know I’m walking into a trap. I know my chances of getting out of it are slim. But I can’t just leave them to die. I have to at least try to rescue them. So I will.

The Pacific

The sun touched the horizon, throwing up a brief flash of green into the orange-hued twilight sky. Officers ran across the deck of Ōryu, carrying stacks of papers with important tactical data. The comms operators relayed orders to the other ships. The cartographer argued with the radar operators over where to mark the possible locations of Dong Wanggong, Xi Wangmu, and the remaining Chinese ships. Hong Wuchang leaned forward in his chair, looking out the window as the Ryukyuan and allied ships fired more missiles and bullets. “Status report on the search for Admiral Higa.”

“No luck yet, sir. We’ve searched the immediate waters around Sanzan, and we rescued a few crewmembers, but not Higa.”

“Expand the search radius.” Hong looked to his right, seeing Sanzan moored alongside Ōryu. The flagship’s flight deck had been locked down as his men put out fires and used the space to tend to the wounded. “Check behind us. The currents and our heading could have moved him back.”

“Yes, sir. And what about the enemy?”

“Continue the search for Dong Wanggong and Xi Wangmu, as we discussed. They have to be around here somewhere.”

“How about Fusang?”

Zhang…he’s been holding back, I feel. Why? I need to know.

“Open a channel on the universal frequency. I’d like to make a message.”

“Yes, sir.” The comms officer pushed some buttons. “Channel open, ready to broadcast.”

“This is Admiral Hong Wuchang,” Hong said, “Formerly of the Imperial Chinese Navy. I would like to speak to Admiral Zhang Jianzhou of the Fusang fleet.”

There was a pause, and then Hong heard the static-filled voice of an old man. “This is Admiral Zhang. Hong, is that you?”

“Hello, Zhang,” Hong said, “How long has it been now? Twenty years?”

“About 24, if I remember correctly,” Zhang said, “Sorry, my memory’s not as good as it used to be.”

“Yes, that sounds about right,” Hong said, “That joint exercise was in 2015, wasn’t it? Fun times.”

“Fun?” Zhang said. “I recall you hogged the airspace with your pilots.”

Hong chuckled. “That’s how we do it in China. Though you always did hesitate to engage.”

“It’s called being cautious, Hong, look it up.”

“I am cautious these days, but I’m not Admiral Cao. How have you been doing?”

“My family could do better,” Zhang said, “We’re making ends meet.”

“Only making ends meet, on an admiral’s salary?”

“The economy’s in a pinch. You know, with everything going on here.”

“Of course.”

“If you think you can bribe me into switching sides, you’d be wrong.”

Hong shook his head. “Oh, no, I’m not asking for that. I know you wouldn’t take any deal I offer. I just wanted to check in on my old friend.”

“I was suspecting that because you yourself changed sides…”

“Not like I had any other choice,” Hong said, “I lost at Hoang Sa. I put myself at the mercy of the victors. And here I am.”

“It must be nice, your enemy showing you that much mercy.”

“It is.”

“Sometimes, I wish we could all go back to how we were. Before all this happened.”

“We all do. It pains me that we have to meet again like this.”

“Same here. But I have a job to do.”

“I do too.”

“You know what you must do.”

Hong nodded. “I do.”

“Tell your family I said hello,” Zhang said.

He doesn’t know…best not to tell him. “I will.”

“And please…tell my family I forgive you.”

Hong stumbled over his words for his next part. “I will.”

“It’s good to hear your voice again,” Zhang said, “Reminds me of the old days.”

“Yes, same.”

“Farewell, old friend.”

“Goodbye.” The line disconnected.

Hong turned back to the bridge crew. “Let’s get back to work.”

---

The first thing Higa felt upon regaining consciousness was the searing pain shooting through his left leg. He opened his eyes, seeing orange sky above him. Feeling slowly returned to his outstretched arms, though his fingers took time to move. He finally lifted his head and found he was floating on his back. His uniform was tattered and burned, revealing multiple wounds all over his body. His left leg was covered in more burns, and the ocean’s saltwater seeped into each one, worsening his pain.

I’m in the water…I’m overboard. Frak.

He looked around, using his right leg to reposition himself. Turning to his right, he saw Sanzan—still trailing smoke—alongside Ōryu in the distance, slowly drifting away. Above him, he saw Ryukyuan missiles shoot down approaching Chinese jets and bombers, while Ryukyuan fighters went after Chinese ships to his left. That’s where Liu is.

His left leg’s constant pain reminded him of his situation. Need to get out of the water. This is shark territory. He spotted a large piece of floating wood a few feet away, probably from a ship’s deck. He swung his arms in a large motion to propel himself in that direction, and although his muscles groaned and skin screamed, he persisted. After what felt like forever, he grabbed on to the wood and pulled himself out of the water. His left leg immediately felt much better as it dried in the air.

That’s better. Now to work on getting spotted.

He heard the crashing of waves against a nearby hull. He looked to his left and saw an approaching Chinese destroyer. Frak, I didn’t mean like that! He immediately turned his head away and lay still, pretending he was dead. The destroyer passed by after another minute, coming so close that he could easily see missile launch tubes, radar systems, CIWS, and guns up close. The destroyer’s main gun opened fire, but it didn’t look like it hit anything. Next, the point-defense guns sprayed bullets high into the sky, but they failed to stop the approach of a Ryukyuan air squadron and its missiles, which tore apart the ship in a fireball so intense Higa felt warmed by it. Looks like I won’t have to worry about them anymore. He tried waving at the Ryukyuan aircraft, but they turned around and headed in the direction of Yanbaru Kuina. Damn. This might take a while.

Livonia

The next wave of Crusaders emerged from the trees to assault the trench, and again, Boris and his men shot them down. They barely got time to reload before the next wave arrived.

“Damnit,” Boris said, “This is one tough break.”

“Tell me about it,” Kowalski said.

“Then again, we knew this would happen.” Boris shot another Crusader. “Haynau, that monster. He’s willing to sacrifice as many men as it takes just to kill me.”

“He could’ve just ended this with a single missile or air strike.” Kowalski reloaded his assault rifle.

“No, he wants the thrill of the fight.” Boris covered for Kowalski. “He wants to prove he’s better than me.”

“Well, he’s not doing a good job of that.”

Boris looked at his remaining men. So many had already died that he could now see all who remained in front of him. “Still, we’re not going to last much longer.”

“There’s still time for you to go,” Kowalski said, “We can make an opening for you.”

“How many times do I have to tell you, I’m not leaving?” Boris said. “If you’re not going to leave, I’m not either! I am not repeating this discussion!”

“But sir—AAAARGH!” A bullet hit Kowalski in his shoulder, and he went down.

“KOWALSKI!” Boris shot the Crusader responsible and then crouched in front of Kowalski. Blood was spurting from a wound in his shoulder. Fortunately, the bullet hadn’t gone out his back, or else things would have been much worse. Boris took out gauze and put it over the wound, applying pressure. “Stay with me, Kowalski!”

Kowalski groaned. “Sorry, sir. I should’ve been more careful.”

“Don’t worry, Kowalski, you’re going to make it.”

Kowalski shook his head. “I’m not so sure. We don’t have enough ammo to last until noon.”

“Well, I’m not going to let you bleed out,” Boris said, “You’ve served me so faithfully these last few years. The least I could do is return the favor.”

Kowalski coughed. “Don’t waste your efforts. Focus on the enemy.”

“I won’t abandon my men,” Boris said, “That’s not who I am.”

A Crusader appeared at the top of the trench and aimed down at them. Boris quickly grabbed Kowalski’s sidearm and shot him in the head. Another Crusader appeared. Boris shot him as well. Two more appeared and pointed their guns at him. Nearby Livonian soldiers shot them, only to be gunned down by more Crusaders. Slowly but surely, they were losing. The enemy began closing in on Boris and Kowalski. Letting Kowalski apply pressure on his wound, Boris defiantly aimed at the enemy. “Ugniaukštis! Mes niekada nepamiršime!

Shots rang out.

Scandinavia

Tingvalla was in flames. The neighborhoods west of the river had been flattened by indiscriminate drone strikes, but the enemy was wasting their ammunition. Clara’s rebels maintained their current positions at the end of Sigurd Bridge. Although the Crusaders had been pushed back to the other side of the river, the townspeople did not advance across the bridge. It would not grant them any tactical advantage. Their goal was merely to defend the city, not destroy the enemy.

Several long minutes passed. No troops stepped onto the bridge..

“What are they playing at?” Sylvia said. “Don’t they want to destroy us?”

“They must’ve switched tactics,” Clara said.

“Over there, look!” Joey pointed at the opposite bank.

Clara noticed several Crusader tanks lining up along the riverbank. They swiveled their turrets in her direction.

“FRAK! SCATTER, NOW!” As soon as she said that, Joey had already relocated down the block. Clara grabbed Sylvia’s hand and pulled her away from the barricade lines. Several loud thumps echoed across Tingvalla. A split second later, the barricades exploded, killing most of those who hadn’t retreated in time.

“Blow the bridge!” Clara shouted. “Who’s got the detonator?”

Joey held up the detonator. “Here.”

“Wait!” Sylvia said.

“What do you mean, wait?”

“Even if we destroy the bridge, those tanks’ll still be there.” Sylvia pointed at the remains of the western bridges. “What if we could take them out like that?”

Clara looked back at the tanks, which were now rolling towards Sigurd Bridge. We can’t let them get onto the island. We’re screwed if they do. “Good idea, Sylv. Joey, prepare to blow the bridge on my signal.”

“Understood,” Joey said, “But please don’t take too long.”

“Sylv, I need you to reform the lines.”

“On it.” Sylvia ran down the street.

Several enemy drones flew over the bridge and onto Clara’s side, attempting to scout out the blocks around her. She shot down three of them in quick succession. Owls inexplicably attacked the other two, sacrificing themselves to bring them down. I have no idea why that just happened, but I’m not complaining. A tank round screamed over her head and slammed into the second floor of a post office, throwing bricks and glass down on the street. Clara looked behind her. The townspeople had repaired two of the barricades, which now bristled with hunting rifles, machine guns, shotguns, and rocket launchers. Not going to do much against that many tanks, but it’s better than nothing. Clara and Joey retreated behind the barricade and regrouped with Sylvia. Sylvia said something, but Clara could barely make it out without her hearing aid. She raised a hand to her ear, and Sylvia leaned closer. “What’s the plan, dear?”

“Same as always,” Clara said, “We hold the line.”

“Is…is this the end for us?”

Clara shook her head. “Don’t say that. We’ll find a way to get through this. Oliver’s counting on it.”

The tanks rolled down Sigurd Bridge, and now Clara could see the Crusaders marching behind it, as well as the Hellhounds that accompanied them. As she watched, the Crusaders spread out to cover the width of the bridge, making it look like there were far more of them.

“Those blasted tanks,” Sylvia muttered, “If we got rid of it, things would be a hell of a lot easier.”

Clara continued observing the enemy’s movements. “Joey, give me the detonator.”

“I thought you said—”

“It won’t matter. Just give it.”

Joey handed her the detonator. An idea had formed in her mind. Perhaps she could order everyone to retreat, while she stayed behind to blow the bridge. She shot down the idea five seconds lager. Frak no. I’m not doing any sacrifice plays. Seen that too many times in Bremerhaven.

All they could do was wait. Their only hope of victory was to destroy all of the tanks. But the ones in the back still hadn’t gotten onto the bridge yet. Those in the front were getting dangerously close to the end. She quickly calculated their combined length and confirmed the bridge would fit them all. But the window of opportunity was small. Too soon and she could leave some of the tanks intact and still combat ready. Too late and the ones in front would get too close and blast them with their cannons. So far, they didn’t seem to be shooting yet, so she still had time.

Come on, that last tank’s almost there…

“AHEM!” an obnoxious voice boomed.

The entire enemy army halted, with the last tank annoyingly still on solid ground. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Please don’t tell me that’s who I think it is. Clara slowly turned and saw Snorrison standing behind the second barricade, arms crossed. Goddamnit, it is him! For frak’s sake!

“This farce has gone on for long enough!” Snorrison said. “What is with you people? Why are you firing on Jerusalem’s delegation unprovoked?”

Immediately, words flew as fast as bullets.

“UNPROVOKED?!”

“ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRAKKING MIND?!”

“LOOK AT THOSE GODSDAMNED TANKS!”

“THEY’RE LITERALLY RIGHT THERE!”

“Silence!” Snorrison raised a hand authoritatively, as if that would get everyone to shut up, which it didn’t. “I have it on good authority that our Fylkir’s—I must remind you—unconditional surrender put an end to hostilities with Jerusalem. Now, this means they are free to move their troops within our borders as they please, but it is in the interest of maintaining order. They do not mean us any harm now that we’re out of the war.”

You know what, I’m not even going to try to bother. Sylvia, though, didn’t think the same way. She strode over to Snorrison. Before Snorrison could say anything, Sylvia punched him clean in the face, with all of her strength. He coughed up blood and looked at her with a baffled expression. “What is the meaning of this insolence? Don’t you know who I am, filthy peon?!”

“I don’t give a frak,” Sylvia said, “You keep denying reality even when it’s literally right in front of you. When the hell is this going to end?! People are dying, and my son was almost one of them! This town’s in flames! Jerusalem’s about to snuff out the last flames of Scandinavia, and you’re just sticking your head in the snow and pretending nothing’s happening! Well, guess what, skit’s definitely happening! If you still don’t see what’s right in front of you, why don’t you just walk up and ask them yourself?!”

Snorrison smiled back, a smug expression on his face. “Thank you for the suggestion, citizen. I’ll do just that.”

Sylvia and Clara simultaneously facepalmed. IS THIS GUY FOR REAL?!

He left the barricade and walked down the street towards the Crusaders. He reached out his hands wide like he was going to hug someone. “Welcome, esteemed guests! I apologize for the unruly conduct of my citizens, but I assure you, this is not who we are as Scandinavians. It is in both our nations’ interests to work together for the—”

He didn’t finish before the entire enemy force, tanks included, concentrated all of its fire solely on him. Two tank rounds and several hundred bullets was all it took to reduce Snorrison to just a few stains of blood on Sigurd Street. To absolutely NOBODY’S surprise, you goddamn idiot! Clara rolled her eyes. None of the other townspeople said anything. Their eyes focused on the bloodstain that was once Snorrison and then on the Crusaders who killed him, who quietly looked back at them with a similar awkwardness.

So…uh…that just happened…

Clara reminded herself she was still in a battle just as the Crusaders prepared to fire again. I still need to get that last tank onto the bridge. We have to get them closer. Shaking herself out of her shock, she aimed her gun at the nearest Crusader. Then she immediately aimed to the right and shot the Crusader next to him. As the soldier went down, she smiled and laughed. “That’s one for the idiot.”

The enemy force resumed their advance. The rest of the Scandinavians noticed her gesture and returned fire with the same bizarre custom as Clara, targeting one Crusader but then shooting the one next to them. It was irrational and tactically stupid, Clara admitted, but it was probably the only way they could “thank” the Crusaders without actually thanking them.

“That’s one for the idiot!”

• 2Like
Reactions:
“I hope you forgive me, Gunduz.” Wilhelmina got on Heidi and rode towards the Crusader line, which surprisingly made way for her.
I fell like this Committee arc will be divided into different subparts. The first one being the rise of the Committee. The second being the start of the current World War and ending with the liberation of the Reich. With the third and last one being the liberation of China.

looking out the window as the Ryukyuan and allied ships fired more missiles and bullets.
Yea know it is strange that Code Geass fanfic that I recommended has the Black Knights evacuated to Ryukyu (because of Japan being destroyed) and even though the rest of the world in TTL dose not know that to be the case I do find it funny the similarities. However unlike in both the fanfic and the actual show we unfortunately do not have China on our side in this story.

“This is Admiral Hong Wuchang,” Hong said, “Formerly of the Imperial Chinese Navy. I would like to speak to Admiral Zhang Jianzhou of the Fusang fleet.”

There was a pause, and then Hong heard the static-filled voice of an old man. “This is Admiral Zhang. Hong, is that you?”

“Hello, Zhang,” Hong said, “How long has it been now? Twenty years?”

“About 24, if I remember correctly,” Zhang said, “Sorry, my memory’s not as good as it used to be.”

“Yes, that sounds about right,” Hong said, “That joint exercise was in 2015, wasn’t it? Fun times.”

“Fun?” Zhang said. “I recall you hogged the airspace with your pilots.”

Hong chuckled. “That’s how we do it in China. Though you always did hesitate to engage.”

“It’s called being cautious, Hong, look it up.”

“I am cautious these days, but I’m not Admiral Cao. How have you been doing?”

“My family could do better,” Zhang said, “We’re making ends meet.”

“Only making ends meet, on an admiral’s salary?”

“The economy’s in a pinch. You know, with everything going on here.”

“Of course.”

“If you think you can bribe me into switching sides, you’d be wrong.”

Hong shook his head. “Oh, no, I’m not asking for that. I know you wouldn’t take any deal I offer. I just wanted to check in on my old friend.”

“I was suspecting that because you yourself changed sides…”

“Not like I had any other choice,” Hong said, “I lost at Hoang Sa. I put myself at the mercy of the victors. And here I am.”

“It must be nice, your enemy showing you that much mercy.”

“It is.”

“Sometimes, I wish we could all go back to how we were. Before all this happened.”

“We all do. It pains me that we have to meet again like this.”

“Same here. But I have a job to do.”

“I do too.”

“You know what you must do.”

Hong nodded. “I do.”

“Tell your family I said hello,” Zhang said.

He doesn’t know…best not to tell him. “I will.”

“And please…tell my family I forgive you.”

Hong stumbled over his words for his next part. “I will.”

“It’s good to hear your voice again,” Zhang said, “Reminds me of the old days.”

“Yes, same.”

“Farewell, old friend.”

“Goodbye.” The line disconnected.

Hong turned back to the bridge crew. “Let’s get back to work.”
I love this moment of peace between all of the fighting.

The first thing Higa felt upon regaining consciousness was the searing pain shooting through his left leg. He opened his eyes, seeing orange sky above him. Feeling slowly returned to his outstretched arms, though his fingers took time to move. He finally lifted his head and found he was floating on his back. His uniform was tattered and burned, revealing multiple wounds all over his body. His left leg was covered in more burns, and the ocean’s saltwater seeped into each one, worsening his pain.
He left the barricade and walked down the street towards the Crusaders. He reached out his hands wide like he was going to hug someone. “Welcome, esteemed guests! I apologize for the unruly conduct of my citizens, but I assure you, this is not who we are as Scandinavians. It is in both our nations’ interests to work together for the—”

He didn’t finish before the entire enemy force, tanks included, concentrated all of its fire solely on him. Two tank rounds and several hundred bullets was all it took to reduce Snorrison to just a few stains of blood on Sigurd Street. To absolutely NOBODY’S surprise, you goddamn idiot! Clara rolled her eyes. None of the other townspeople said anything. Their eyes focused on the bloodstain that was once Snorrison and then on the Crusaders who killed him, who quietly looked back at them with a similar awkwardness.

So…uh…that just happened…
Now I fear that since Higa surviving and Snorrison being killed (which thank you for that by the way) you almost have to kill off the royals in Crusader custody to even things out.