The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welp we are definitely approaching the climax of this plotline, godspeed to our heroes indeed. And it's great that amidst it all their defiance can be seen. Don't go into the gentle good night indeed. I especially liked what Higa did to bolster the morale of his forces, unfurling the Ryukyuan flag like that, definitely one of the highlights of this chapter.

Welp we are definitely approaching the climax of this plotline, godspeed to our heroes indeed. And it's great that amidst it all their defiance can be seen. Don't go into the gentle good night indeed. I especially liked what Higa did to bolster the morale of his forces, unfurling the Ryukyuan flag like that, definitely one of the highlights of this chapter.
It all comes down to this. Our heroes are making their final stand. Will it pay off?

Turns out I have just enough time to post one more chapter before I go! It'll be up soon after this post.

Counterattack, Part 2

(War - LOK)

Tingvalla

Clara pressed up against the wall of a building and steadied her breathing. She focused her ears on listening to the approaching engine noises. She grabbed her walkie-talkie. “Look alive, everyone. Kreuzies closing in.”

She looked across the Klarälven River, watching as shapes zipped between buildings on the other side. Those were the first Crusaders driving eastbound on the abandoned Highway E18 into downtown Tingvalla. Just as she had expected, they had taken the Sigurd Street southbound exit. Following the road south, they would reach the Sigurd Bridge, which crossed Klarälven River into the city center. The city center itself was an island in the middle of the river delta, only accessible by bridges from other islands or the mainland.

“Have the evacuations of the outer neighborhoods finished?” she asked.

“Yes,” Joey said, “There should be no civilians remaining outside the city center.”

“Wait for the signal.” From her location, she could see two bridges to her left, a cycling bridge and a railroad bridge. Crusaders were now making their way across on foot, while the main force of APCs embarked on Sigurd Bridge in front of her. The loud clanking of treads drew her eyes to a tank rolling amidst the troop transports, flanked by several Hellhounds. It was a lot, compared to what Tingvalla could field, but they had practiced this scenario for days. To her relief, she noticed the enemy force was lacking many things that would’ve derailed her plan.

They didn’t bother sending any aircraft or amphibious vehicles. Only drones. The plan can still work.

The Crusaders on the western bridges made it halfway across. Not far enough. “Come on…”

Three-quarters across. “Nearly there…”

The main force made it halfway across Sigurd Bridge. “A little more…”

The Crusaders on the western bridges had almost covered their entire lengths. Clara took out her hearing aid. “NOW!”

Sticks of C4, demolition charges, and dynamite strapped to the supports of the western bridges detonated, tearing the structures into dozens of smaller pieces and sending their Crusaders tumbling into the water below. The drop wasn’t too high as to kill, but the shrapnel would’ve handled that, and in any case, their goal was to deny use of the bridges to the enemy. Seconds later, she heard explosions booming from the north and the south as all other bridges connecting to the western bank of the Klarälven simultaneously exploded and collapsed. All bridges…except Sigurd Bridge. They had also rigged that one to blow, but they left it intact. If the Crusaders wanted to take Tingvalla, they would have to go through the chokepoint Clara and her comrades had just created.

Perfect. They’ve got no choice but to use Sigurd Bridge now.

The abandoned cars currently scattered along the length of Sigurd Bridge weren’t originally there. The original abandoned cars had been cleared out when refugees from the larger cities started arriving, but the townspeople parked their own cars and public vehicles there as part of the plan. The Crusaders wouldn’t have batted an eye at their presence; after all, abandoned cars—especially older gas-powered ones—were a common sight in warzones outside Jerusalem. That was exactly what Clara was counting on. We didn’t have any of these in Bremerhaven. Count yourselves lucky, my fellow defenders of Tingvalla. She pressed a detonator, and a wave of explosions rippled up and down Sigurd Bridge. Dozens of Crusaders and Hellhounds were immediately incinerated or torn apart as the cars around them suddenly exploded. One APC was flipped over, its wreckage blocking the others behind it. With the enemy’s advance halted, the townspeople emerged from their hiding places to open fire on the scattered formation. “Odin á yðr alla!”

“Odin owns you all.” A great battle cry, but Odin’s not my god.

“FOR BREMERHAVEN!” Clara opened fire.

“FOR BREMERHAVEN!” the few Roman exiles with her repeated, even if none had actually been there.

Caught by surprise, more Crusaders were quickly gunned down. Those who escaped the initial ambush began shooting back. Clara and the others had expected this. Sigurd Street south of the bridge was filled with cars, buses, and other improvised barricades arranged in such a way as to give the townspeople multiple lines of cover. Having left their ambush spots, they now took up positions at each barricade line, timing their shots in such a way that only a handful were reloading at any given time, and never an entire line. The air was filled with the sounds of gunfire and men and women screaming in pain and shouting old Norse battle cries. Several bullets zipped past Clara, but she remained unfazed. A tank’s machine guns opened fire, cutting down several townspeople who had left cover, and its main cannon swiveled to target the first barricade. Before it could fire, Sylvia lifted a heavy RPG launcher onto her shoulder.

“Gods, this is heavy,” she muttered, “But whatever. Odin á yðr alla!

She fired the launcher, the recoil violently throwing her back onto her butt. The rocket struck the tank’s engine dead on and caused it to explode in a giant fireball. The Crusaders scattered even further to avoid the shrapnel, leading to them becoming completely surrounded and isolated from each other.

Sylv seems to be taking to real combat quite well. Too well. A little scared...

The townspeople turned out to be everywhere, not just at the barricades they had set up. Clara saw a man hiding in a pothole, taking silent shots with what appeared to be a crossbow. There was an old woman hiding behind a car, firing a shotgun almost as big as her. Several bearded farmers assaulted any nearby Crusaders with pitchforks. A young delinquent-looking man bashed in the enemy’s heads with a steel baseball bat, while his friends picked up various things they found on the street—bikes, shopping carts, dislocated street signs, shrapnel, rubble—and attacked the Hellhounds, overwhelming them with superior numbers and blunt attacks. A middle-aged woman literally disarmed Crusaders with a meat cleaver. One old man, a veteran of the last world war from the tattered ill-fitting Scandinavian uniform he wore, simply wrenched the gun out of a Crusader’s hands and then shot him with it without any difficulty. And then there was Joey doing…something involving a bucket of water, a flute, and what appeared to be a cow. It was surprisingly effective. Her mind refused to process the details. Not that it couldn’t, it just didn’t want to. Not the army I was expecting, but it’ll have to do. A Hellhound lunged for Clara. Taking a deep breath and steadying herself, she aimed and fired her pistol once. The bullet sheared off one of its front legs, causing it to stumble and fall over. Clara approached and fired two more point blank shots into its CPU, neutralizing it.

“DEUS VULT!” a Crusader ran at her with the bayonet on his assault rifle. Clara instinctively tensed up, remembering the dozens of similar incidents from Bremerhaven. Her mind flashed back to the time a Crusader slammed her against the wall and cut her hair with a knife. No. Not anymore. I’m not afraid. She pushed the memory away and dodged the stab before shooting him in the back of his leg. The Crusader tried crawling away from her, but it was futile. Clara grabbed the man by his collar. With her free hand, she put seeds into the Crusader’s pocket, then shot him in the head. The Crusader fell, blood pooling around his body. At least when you’re buried, Scandinavian heathers will grow. Returning to the battle, she spotted Sylvia bashing a Crusader with the empty launcher, though she was clearly struggling at it. Clara finished the Crusader off with a shot to the chest.

“You know, if it’s too heavy, you can just find something else,” Clara said.

Sylvia shook her head. “No, I don’t think I will.”

“Suit yourself,” Clara said.

She heard screeching tires from Sigurd Bridge. There, she saw the blocked APCs backing up to flee, but their escape route had been blocked by tractors.

“I thought everyone on the mainland had been evacuated,” Sylvia said.

“All civilians,” Clara said.

The tractors rolled onto the bridge and surrounded the APCs. The transports’ rooftop machine gunners fired back, but their bullets pinged off the improvised metal armor welded to the windshields, leaving only a small slit for drivers to see through. The tractors slammed into the APCs with makeshift rams attached to their fronts. The battering rams punched through their armor and dug deep into the vehicles. With their enemies pinned down, the tractors turned perpendicular to the road and drove straight for the edge of the bridge. All of the APCs were sent plunging into the river. The tractors avoided the same fate by detaching their rams as soon as the enemy vehicles dipped over the edge.

“Is that all of them?” Sylvia said. “I think that’s all of them. WOOHOO! VICTORY!”

At that moment, Clara heard the buzzing of a drone coming from above. “Sylv, get down!”

She tackled Sylvia to the ground just as a missile came down and exploded where she once was, throwing rubble and gravel in all directions. Some of the rocks struck Clara, making light cuts in her skin, but she didn’t care, as long as Sylvia was safe. “Frak! Should’ve remembered they’d break out the drones eventually.” Like they did in Bremerhaven.

Once they had found cover, Clara looked up at the sky, trying to find the drone. She soon found it hovering over a building in the next block. It was a four-rotor recon drone adapted for combat with a small rocket launcher. Its setup allowed it to easily turn in any direction when needed, but it still only had one camera for its human operator and AI to receive data through. She could exploit that weakness.

“It may have its back to us, but we won’t have our backs to it,” Clara said, “The enemy will see our faces, not our backs.”

Clara grabbed a grenade off a dead Crusader, armed it, and tossed it down the street. The explosion got the drone’s attention, and it flew closer to investigate. Once it got within range, Clara ran up to it and drew her gun. The drone spun around to aim its rocket launcher, but by then Clara had fired a bullet into the drone’s CPU. The machine fell to earth and shattered against the pavement.

“You’ll see my face.” She spat on the mangled electronics and then, for good measure, fired another bullet into its camera.

Clara heard Sylvia giggling. She turned back and saw her wife was blushing.

“What?” she asked.

“Did I ever tell you how cute you look when you act tough?” Sylvia said.

“How does that even make sense?” Clara said. “Cuteness and toughness are completely different!”

“Still, you do look cute.”

Clara started blushing again. “Uh, no, we’re not doing this right now. We’re literally in a battle!”

“Aw, come on, Clara,” Sylvia said, “Can’t you at least thank me? Please?”

Clara tried resisting, but Sylvia’s puppy eyes broke down her barriers, like usual. “Okay, okay, fine! Thanks, Sylv.”

Sylvia smiled. “That’s what I like to hear.”

“Please, Sylv, focus on the battle!”

Sylvia picked up the launcher and held it like a baseball bat. “I am focused!”

Honestly, she is cute when she’s acting like that…

Livonia

Boris’ numbers—both manpower and ammo—were running critically low now, and it had only been an hour or two since Haynau had attacked. He had thought they would have enough to last a day, but he would be lucky if they made it to noon. The situation was worse than he feared.

“Kowalski…status report.” He had repeated that line so many times in the last hour he suspected Kowalski was ready to give one at the mere mention of his name.

“We’ve taken out yet another whole platoon trying to rush our trench,” Kowalski said, in between taking shots.

Boris loaded more bullets into his rifle. “That’s not enough. Damnit, how many men does Haynau have?”

“Too many for someone like him,” Kowalski said.

“Please tell me we’re reaching his limit,” Boris said. “You see, killbots have a preset kill limit, so knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down.” I both wish it were that easy and dread actually having to do that. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if that is a genuine Crusader tactic.

“I doubt it, sir. By all measures, we should’ve been overwhelmed by now.”

“Damnit.” Boris shot at another approaching platoon. “How many do we still have?”

“…about fifty.” Kowalski looked down. “Sir, I’m not optimistic about our chances.”

“Neither am I,” Boris said, “But…at least this way we can decide how we go out.”

Suddenly, the gunfire ceased. The forest grew deathly quiet. Boris swore he could hear a mouse running somewhere. “What just happened?”

“Not sure, sir.” Kowalski poked his head above the trench. The Crusaders were still there, but they weren’t shooting. “Why aren’t they shooting?”

“Huh,” Boris said, “They stopped shooting at us? Don’t they know we’re not going to stop?”

He aimed at the nearest Crusader and curled a finger around the trigger.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, Bradziunas!” a heavily accented voice boomed across the forest via megaphone.

“Who’s that?!” Boris replied.

“You know who I am!”

“Engelbert von Haynau,” Boris realized, “The Butcher of Lithuania’s come here to personally greet me, huh?”

“I take offense at that name,” Haynau said.

“Like you took offense to literally everything about Livonia?”

“That’s different,” Haynau said, “That’s my job.”

“I have no idea how to respond to that.” Kowalski shook his head.

“Well, I’m not even going to try,” Boris said.

“You want to know why I halted my attack?” Haynau said. “I’m going to give you one last chance to surrender.”

“Are you kidding me?” Boris said. “What makes you think I’m going to take that?”

“You do value your lives, right?” Haynau said. “I’m offering the chance for you and your men to survive.”

“To be tortured and killed later, probably,” Kowalski said.

“You have my word your men won’t be killed, Bradziunas.”

Something was left out in that statement. “But nothing about me, huh?”

Haynau dodged the question. “So what will it be? Life or death?”

Boris turned to Kowalski and lowered his voice. “You do know I won’t blame you if you take the offer.”

Kowalski stared at him. “Why the hell would I, though?”

Boris shrugged. “To save your life?”

“You really think I’d abandon you like that, sir?!” Kowalski said. “Especially for almost certain imprisonment and torture? You wound me, sir!”

“No, no!” Boris held up his hands, trying to backtrack. “I just thought, if you had a chance to live, even if terribly…”

“Sir.” Kowalski cut him off. “I’d rather die than put myself at the mercy of Jerusalem. You already said it yourself. You’re surrounded by the bravest men in all of Livonia. That isn’t just bluster. We will defend you and our nation to the death. So frak whatever half-baked offer of surrender that monster thinks we’re stupid enough to take, because we won’t!”

He stood straight up, making him visible to the Crusaders. “HEY, HAYNAU!”

“Yes?” Haynau said.

PIEPRZYĆ TY!” He sprayed bullets in all directions, shooting several Crusaders before they could react. The rest of the Crusaders returned fire, forcing him to duck.

“Seriously?” Haynau sounded annoyed. “I gave you a generous offer, and you just want to die?!”

Kowalski turned to Boris. “This guy seriously believes his offer is generous, can you believe it?”

Boris rolled his eyes. “Want to show this guy some good old Commonwealth hospitality?”

“Thought you’d never ask.” Kowalski smiled.

Boris stood up. “HEY, BUTCHER! VELKITE TAVE!

The battle raged on.

The Pacific

The sun was getting low now, but the battle showed no signs of stopping. Higa’s feet ached from the dozens of times he crossed the flight deck, helping various crews out with their tasks—reloading the anti-aircraft guns, refueling planes, restocking ammo, and so on. But he refused to let it slow him down. Although there was a secondary bridge on one of the lower floors of Sanzan, built specifically for something like this, Higa refused to go there yet. He wanted—no, needed—to help his crew on the deck, as a way to maintain morale. But he wasn’t not commanding as he did so. An improvised radio had been set up to allow him to issue orders to the rest of the fleet.

Damnit, where’s Liu’s ship? He definitely heard of what happened to my ship. But if we take him out first, we won’t have to worry about Sanzan being hit again.

He heard the roar of approaching jet engines and looked up. Another squadron of Chinese jets was approaching Sanzan, this one from due north. Deck crews barked orders at each other, and the anti-aircraft guns swiveled to aim at the enemy. Higa, though, simply stopped and observed the enemy formation. “North…northwest…they’re all coming from the same direction.”

But that would be too convenient. There was no way Liu would give up his position that easily. Higa next observed the speed of the jets. They were flying a bit slower than usual. Too slow compared to their speed on the radar.

“They must be conserving fuel,” he realized, “Conserving fuel for…a longer flight route.”

If those were Xi Wangmu’s planes, which was extremely likely, then that meant the carrier wasn’t in the north. It couldn’t be in the east or due south. He had ships in the east, and Fusang was in the south, but Fusang’s aircraft couldn’t reach Sanzan. Which left only…

“He’s in the west,” Higa concluded.

With the enemy jets still incoming, he ran back to the makeshift radio and dialed to the proper secured channel. “Get me Hong right now!”

“Right away, sir.” There was a beep, and then Higa heard Hong Wuchang’s voice. “This is Admiral Hong with Ōryu, standing by for orders.”

“I need you to search due west for Xi Wangmu,” Higa said.

“Due west? But Liu’s aircraft are coming from the north.”

“Trust me on this one.” Higa tried to convey his urgency through the transmitter as best as he could. “Liu wouldn’t be dumb enough to reveal his position like that. He means to flank us with Xi Wangmu, then divert our attention to the wrong area to leave us exposed while the flagship is crippled. We need to take him out first.”

There was a small pause. “Understood, Admiral. I’ll issue the orders at once.”

“Thank you, that will be—”

“INCOMING!”

What, again? Higa put down the radio and looked up at the incoming enemy aircraft. By now, all of Sanzan’s remaining defenses had launched a deafening salvo of machine gun and artillery fire, which filled the air in between the carrier and jets with flak, bullets, and explosions. One by one, the jets exploded, but some got through. They seemed to be heading straight for Higa himself.

“What’s with my luck today?” Higa drew a pistol and aimed at the planes, despite knowing he wouldn’t be able to do anything with it. “You come at the admiral, you better not miss!”

Three planes remained. Higa pulled the trigger twice, though obviously he wouldn’t hit any of them. While the rest of his crew scrambled for cover, he stood his ground, having faith in his ship’s defenses. One jet exploded, and two remained. Higa took a deep breath and pointed his gun at one of the remaining jets. A second later, that jet’s wing was torn off by gunfire from one of the point defense turrets, and it veered downward into the ocean. One jet remained. Higa pointed his gun at the last one and steadied his breathing. A cannon round ripped through the fuselage of the jet, but in the split second before detonation, it managed to fire one missile straight at Higa.

---

From the bridge of Ōryu, Hong Wuchang could clearly see the explosion tear through Sanzan in the distance. It had torn a giant hole in the side of the carrier and devastated a large portion of the flight deck.

“Sir, confirmed hit on Sanzan,” one of his bridge crew reported, “Massive damage to the starboard hull and flight deck.”

“Casualties?” Hong said.

“Unknown.”

Hong still had the radio receiver in his hand. It had suddenly gone silent the moment the missile hit. Did that mean…? If they got the admiral, we’re screwed. “Change course to pull up alongside Sanzan. Prepare to take on their wounded. Launch our third squadron to clear the area.”

“Yes, sir.” The officer turned to leave.

But what about Admiral Higa? Hong held up a hand and stopped the officer. “One more thing.”

“What is it, sir?”

“Send some teams to look for Admiral Higa and make sure he’s okay.”

The officer nodded. “Yes, sir. We’ll find the admiral.”

“I sure hope so,” Hong said, “You may go now.”

The officer saluted and left. Hong picked up an intercom speaker.

“This is Admiral Hong,” he said, “Five minutes ago, the flagship Sanzan was critically damaged by a Chinese missile. Admiral Higa Ryunosuke, unfortunately, remains unaccounted for in the aftermath of the attack. We have reason to believe he’s still alive, but the fact remains he cannot issue orders at present.”

He leaned into the microphone. “So until we find him, I will be taking command of the Ryukyuan fleet, effective immediately. Sanzan banzai, Ryukyu banzai!

Mesopotamia

The morning was quiet and still. Samir scanned the battlefield using binoculars, quickly spotting the glint of black metal. His eyes sorted that into a gun in a black-clad Crusader’s hands. Then he saw another glint and another until Crusaders covered the entire horizon from left to right.

“Here they come,” he said, “Get ready!”

He heard the creak of gears as Persian artillery and tanks aimed and fired with roaring booms. Seconds later, the first shells hit their targets. When the smoke cleared, large gaps appeared in the enemy lines, but more Crusaders from over the horizon made up for their lost comrades.

Merde,” Billy said.

Samir heard booms in the distance as Jerusalem’s artillery returned fire. Seconds later, the first enemy shells hit around the citadel. An old tower and the remnants of an outer wall exploded, taking with it the gun hidden there. One Persian tank was hit so hard it flipped over several times, its turret thrown clean off the rest of the vehicle.

“We should fall back,” Gulichi said.

“No,” Samir said, “You heard Leyla. Hold your position.”

Not like we have anywhere to go.

The reduced Persian artillery fire allowed the Crusaders to continue their advance. Some tried fanning out, but the Persians had secured their flanks, and the terrain wasn’t advantageous for an assault on the citadel from any direction other than due west. Ultimately, the main enemy force approached from that direction. Once they came within range, machine gun nests stationed along the perimeter—hidden in the ruins of walls and watchtowers—opened fire. Flames erupted from the muzzles of the guns as they sprayed hundreds of bullets into the enemy’s direction. Dozens fell, but more replaced them. Samir peered through his scope to look for his white marks. He found one, but it was nowhere near the enemy yet.

“Stand by, weapons ready,” he said.

The remaining artillery guns fired at reinforcements further away, while short-range mortars pounded closer enemies.

“Come on, Samir, when can we shoot?” Ruby said.

“Not yet.” Samir kept his eye on the marker. “We wouldn’t hit anything at this range.”

“There’s so many of them I’m bound to hit at least one!”

“And waste your ammo like that? No, we’re almost there…”

He took a deep breath. Come on, come on…

Although the outer machine guns cut down dozens of Crusaders, more made it past. Several well thrown grenades took out the machine guns or the towers and walls their crews used for cover or high ground, burying them under rubble. The machine guns within the citadel fired, but their rate of fire had been greatly reduced without the outer guns to back them up. More Crusaders approached. Closer, closer, closer… Nearly there. Then the first of the black boots stomped over the white marks. “Now! Fire!”

Everyone opened fire. Samir pulled his trigger, feeling the rhythmic jolting of his rifle against his arm and shoulder. His ears winced from all of the gunshots around him, but he persisted. Their bullets tore through the first line of Crusaders, and then the next, and the next. He burned through his clip. Reached for another one, he realized he was on his fifth. By now, the bulk of the enemy force had neared the citadel and started scaling the small hill the structure sat on. They had gotten close enough that Samir could now see their faces. No. I can’t think about that right now. We’ll do what we must. He resumed firing. Four bullets shredded through a Crusader’s abdomen and exited out his back. The soldier collapsed onto his stomach but still attempted to crawl further. Gulichi put him out of his misery with a shot to the head.

“You know, I should’ve been a sniper,” he said, “Like Admiral Tania.”

“Remind me to call her if we survive this,” Samir said.

There were still a few machine gun nests outside the citadel, but these were being overrun now. The Crusaders rushed those positions with bayonets and knives. Bayonets this early? Must be running low on ammo. That’s weird. They should have no problem resupplying where we are. Unless they really sent everything to Isfahan.

The Persian gun crews attempted to fight back with their own bayonets, but they were overwhelmed. Within another minute, all of the remaining outer machine guns had been seized. In response, the citadel defenders used rockets to destroy the guns and prevent them from being turned against them.

“Damnit,” Billy said, “Looks like it’s just us. Orders?”

“Same as the old ones,” Samir answered, “We keep shooting.”

The enemy resumed marching up the hill. They climbed as a single unit, almost like a roaring waterfall in reverse. The Liberation Legion and the machine gunners in the citadel focused their fire on the closest ones, spraying blood on the walls and ground behind them. The Crusaders fired back. Dozens of Persians fell. Bullets zipped past Samir, forcing him to take cover.

“Come on!” Ruby shouted, emptying her latest clip into the enemy lines. “Is that all you got?!”

Samir looked past the vanguard. The reinforcements were thinning out. No…they had stopped. “We’re nearly there. There aren’t many more left in this wave.”

“You sure?” Gulichi said.

“Trust me on this, keep shooting!” Samir said.

Everyone continued firing. Samir’s ears gradually got used to all of the sounds he was hearing. The gunshots, explosions, screaming, it all blended together in one deafening mess. “CEASE FIRE!” The gunfire stopped. When Samir blinked, the surviving Crusaders were in the process of retreating. The ground around them was now littered with the remains of the dead. A handful of survivors desperately tried crawling away to safety, only to be cut down by Persian gunfire.

“We…we did it,” Gulichi said, “We did it!”

“WOO!” Ruby said. “We’re still alive!”

Samir just leaned back and sighed with relief. “We were lucky, Ruby.”

“What do you mean, lucky?”

He pointed at the bodies of dead Persians from other squads. “That could’ve been us at any point.”

“If they dropped missiles on us, that is,” Billy said.

“On that note, I noticed something,” Samir said, “They were using bayonets once they got close. They could’ve just kept shooting and killed us faster, but they didn’t.”

“They’re monsters,” Ruby said, “Maybe they wanted us to suffer.”

“No, it’s not that,” Samir said, “It’s the same reason they haven’t hit us with missiles yet. They can’t.”

“They can’t?”

“They don’t have the ammo. They sent it all to Isfahan. The troops here are just cannon fodder.” Like us.

“How do you know that?” Gulichi said.

“A hunch, based on my observations.” Samir tapped his earpiece. “Leyla, want to double-check?”

“Sure,” Leyla responded, “I’ll see what I can get on my end. Will have to get back to you.”

“Better get that sooner rather than later. I don’t want to underestimate the enemy’s remaining strength.”

“Yes, yes, I know,” Leyla said, “You guys stay safe. I don’t want to have nobody to deliver my news to.”

“I’ll try,” Gulichi said.

We’ll try,” Samir covered for him, “We’ll survive. Whatever it takes.”

(Prologue B - Xenoblade Chronicles 1)​

Isfahan

The Crusaders were advancing southeast down Nausherwan Street. The Artesh calculated the enemy would take this route to hit the city center from the north and had fortified it accordingly. Hundreds of Persian soldiers had been stationed at regular intervals along the street, setting up sandbags, machine guns, and barbed wire to turn the route into a death trap for any attempting to use it. Every so often, enemy tanks would roll out from Sedeh, in the northwest, and attempt to clear a way for the Crusader infantry behind them, only to be blasted to pieces by Persian mortars and rockets fired from the backyards and rooftops of the surrounding buildings. Crusader aerial drones and helicopters attempted to locate the hidden artillery, but they didn’t get far before they were shot down by Persian jets, aided by aging MiGs—the remains of the Russian air force which had evacuated the country with Wilhelmina after the fall of Tsarberg. It was also futile to attack the street from western cross streets instead of entering it from Sedeh and going down almost its full length. The Persians always drove them back with overwhelming machine gun fire and air strikes, but they likewise could not retake territory already lost. The two sides were locked in a stalemate.

Two Crusader tanks rolled down Nausherwan Street, followed by several squads of black-clad soldiers. On cue, the creaky gears of the Persian artillery guns stationed several blocks to the south moved the cannons into position, and four loud thumps resonated across the Persian lines. The salvo landed around the tanks, killing several Crusaders but missing their targets. The tanks fired on the Persian barricades in front of them. Two squads abandoned their positions and retreated, only to be cut down by the tanks’ machine guns. Others held the line and fired back with rocket-propelled grenades and their own machine guns.

One soldier shouted into his walkie-talkie. “We need air support at the intersection of Nausherwan Street and Soltani Avenue! Repeat, air support at intersection of Nausherwan and—” A tank round obliterated him before he could finish his sentence.

Several blocks southeast of Soltani Avenue, a new unit deployed onto the battlefield. Wilhelmina galloped up Nausherwan Street as ambulances and civilian volunteers drove the wounded back in the other direction. She zipped past lines of barricades, sandbags, and barbed wire as bullets whizzed through the air around her. Cheers erupted from the Persian defensive lines as she passed by, eventually turning into an earth-shaking roar that stalled the Crusader offensive, even if only for a few seconds. “Pâyande Bâdâ Irân!” The battle cry reverberated up and down the street, accompanied by hundreds of bayonet-affixed rifle muzzles and regulation-compliant Persian flags thrust skywards.

Another direct assault down Nausherwan, even after the last few direct assaults all ended badly. How many brain cells does Jerusalem have again?

Wilhelmina reached Soltani Avenue and the enemy’s range. Upon spotting her, the tanks’ turrets erupted with fire and thunder. Without hesitation, Wilhelmina drew Enonon. The blade sang like ethereal music as it was pulled free, although by all means the metal wouldn’t have even made a sound as it left the scabbard. Then again, this was also a sword where the Greek letters and flowing water-like patterns of the Damascus steel were now glowing a bright white. The light grew to engulf the entire blade before expanding outwards—another inch along the edges and another foot from the tip, reminding Wilhelmina of the energy blade of the Monado from a game she played so many years ago. Enonon’s ethereal glow pierced through the morning gloom and illuminated the two incoming tank shells.

I may die if I take a stand here, but I’ve chosen to stand. Being here gives us a chance to change our destinies. Fight the bleak future Jerusalem has determined for us. We can change things, now that I have Enonon. She brandished Enonon. “If you think we’re just waiting here for you to pick us off, you’re sorely mistaken!” She recalled Franz’s last words back in the bunker. “The people of the free world WILL NEVER LET YOU TRIUMPH! The future doesn’t belong to you, vile Jerusalem!”

She slashed to her left and then again to her right. The first strike deflected one shell away from her and into the street, where it blew a small crater in the pavement, and the second knocked the other shell into a building to her right. The tanks’ machine guns opened fire. Wilhelmina’s perception of time slowed down, and her vision focused, allowing her to see the bullets closing in. She thrust out her left hand and flicked her wrist, and the bullets swerved away from her, pinging off the pavement and the sides of abandoned cars like hail on a stormy day.

Wilhelmina had now reached the tanks, and as she passed between them, she swung Enonon around her once, cutting deep into both vehicles’ armor to render their treads useless. Another slash, and their cannon turrets clattered to the ground, decapitated. One more slash, and the machine guns became useless pieces of metal. Heidi continued on, and Wilhelmina now directed her at the Crusaders behind the tanks. The Crusaders shot at her with their rifles, but she again deflected them. Riding straight through them, she swept around her with Enonon, which left behind wisps of energy in its wake as it sliced through the enemy’s guns. Wilhelmina stopped in her tracks and turned back at the now disarmed squad.

“Leave now, while you still have your lives,” she said, “I don’t want to harm you.”

Several shots rang out, and all of the Crusaders crumpled to the ground, dead. Wilhelmina raised Enonon in time to repel another volley of bullets from the Crusader drone hovering a block away. The bullets were sent back to their origin, destroying the drone.

They’d rather kill their own men than let them surrender. Just like in Samarkand.

She continued up the street to the next Crusader squad, doing the same with their tanks and vehicles. This time, before she disarmed the Crusaders, she pulled back to a safe distance and tried again.

“Please, hear me out!” she said. “I’m giving you a choice your superiors never gave you. I’m going to spare your lives, and you are either going to surrender or retreat. You’re not going to win here. There is no chance of this city falling, as long as I am around to defend it. It’s futile to keep fighting. I don’t want to kill you. My grievances are with Elias Anhorn, not you, so you are free to—”

The Crusaders fired everything they had in her direction. Wilhelmina almost yelped in surprise. She raised Enonon and deflected the bullets.

“Okay, let’s try this again.” She spoke slower. “I—am—going—to—spare—you. So—can—you—please—just—leave—us—in—pea—” The Crusaders fired again, forcing Wilhelmina to deflect more bullets.

“Seriously, can you just let me talk? Good communication is the first step towards lasting—”

More bullets. Another deflection. Wilhelmina lost her temper.

“KNOCK IT OFF, I’M TRYING TO MAKE A SPEECH HERE! Now, as I was saying, I…I…NOW…UH…UM…OH FOR FRAK’S SAKE, NOW I LOST MY PLACE! THAT’S IT, I’M DONE TRYING!”

She dismounted and charged towards the Crusaders on foot. I swear, I’m starting to speak like Gunduz.

---

Tingvalla has references to various anecdotes of Ukrainian civilians’ resistance during the Russian invasion. The tractor taking out the APCs was lightly inspired by the meme of Ukrainian farmers in tractors stealing Russian tanks.

Odin á yðr alla! was found on Wikipedia as an alleged Norse war cry. Not sure about the historicity of that. I'll discuss this a little more in detail in my notes for Chapter 467.

And yes, that’s a Futurama reference in Boris’ internal monologue. It’s definitely something he’d watch.

Wilhelmina’s “vile Jerusalem” declaration references the start of Xenoblade 1, where the linked music plays. Originally I was going to use the “War” track here, but I decided using this more intense track better fits the mood.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Some good people starting to fall, but there's still hope.

Neat to see another update this month. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one (figured this reference would be fitting since I‘ve started watching Andor). Also, it’s a bit funny you went out on vacation around the same time I did. Happy holidays, hope you enjoy your trip.

It would be unfortunate if Higa dies, but maybe Han’s can take his place if that happens, through his leadership may not be the same. Funny how a former enemy of Higa is now his potential successor. Hopefully Ryukyuan maintains its moumentem against Jerusalem and the Sinosphere, otherwise freedom in the Pacific might be in peril.

Some good people starting to fall, but there's still hope.
There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel.
Neat to see another update this month. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one (figured this reference would be fitting since I‘ve started watching Andor). Also, it’s a bit funny you went out on vacation around the same time I did. Happy holidays, hope you enjoy your trip.
Funny coincidence, huh?
It would be unfortunate if Higa dies, but maybe Han’s can take his place if that happens, through his leadership may not be the same. Funny how a former enemy of Higa is now his potential successor. Hopefully Ryukyuan maintains its moumentem against Jerusalem and the Sinosphere, otherwise freedom in the Pacific might be in peril.
I think you mean Hong. And it’s also ironic that he’s a descendant of Hong Liao, whose Annionaverse counterpart was a brutal dictator.

I think you mean Hong. And it’s also ironic that he’s a descendant of Hong Liao, whose Annionaverse counterpart was a brutal dictator.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Liao in TTL also commanded TTL's equivalent or Pearl Harbor didn't he, Hong Liao was still complacent in the rise of other brutal dictators like Wang and Chiang. Funny how his descendant is now basically fighting against Han's Sinocentric fascism.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Liao in TTL also commanded TTL's equivalent or Pearl Harbor didn't he, Hong Liao was still complacent in the rise of other brutal dictators like Wang and Chiang. Funny how his descendant is now basically fighting against Han's Sinocentric fascism.
Hohenzollernverse Liao was effectively Yamamoto Isoroku, and like many military officers of his time, he didn’t object when the dictatorship formed and democracy crumbled.

Sorry I am just now getting to these two updates. I wanted to read them when we did not have that many days left before January.

“Ah, you’re here,” Shayan said, “Apologies for the lack of decorations. Or leg room.”

“No worries,” Gunduz said, “It’s a bunker, and we’re at war. This is to be expected.”
It is really weird to hear Gunduz being understanding and not the queen of sarcasm like she usually is.

Alex had seen that gun before, but he had never gotten used to it. Note to self: never get on her bad side. Good thing I’m going with Alexandra.
Well they do say "Hell have no furry like a women's scorn". :)

“May the Dola watch over us today,” she said.
May the Dola watch over us today indeed.

As much as I hate to admit it, Theodor still has some use.
The only bright side to this is that Thea might actually be able to take him out herself.

“Oh, for frak’s sake, what could possibly be worse than—actually, I think I know,” Billy said.
Billy you never ask "what can go wrong." because chances are good it can.

Snorrison stormed into the mayor’s office, his hands covering his ears. “What the helvete is that infernal racket? Don’t they know it’s early in the morning?! A man’s gotta get his sleep!”

The mayor of Tingvalla sat at his desk, attending to paperwork even though it was the early morning. “Oh, that? That’s the improvised early warning system for Crusader attacks.”

“Crusader attacks?!” Snorrison banged a fist on the desk. “There is no Crusader attack! Unless you just admitted to treason right in front of me!”

“I can see, with my own two eyes, that there are Crusaders approaching this very town,” the mayor said, “Like I can literally look out my window right now and see their drones!”

“Nonsense!” Snorrison said. “Those are our drones!”

“Chancellor, the last of our drones ran out of power three months ago.”

“That’s defeatist talk!”

“Says the man who issued the unconditional surrender.” The mayor leaned back and put his feet on the desk.

“Y-you!” Snorrison glared at him. “That was the Fylkir! I was merely relaying his orders!”

“Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.”

Snorrison pulled out a pistol. The mayor didn’t even flinch. “Oh, it appears they missed one when they cleared out the armory last week.”

“They WHAT?!” Snorrison was livid.

“I thought you knew,” the mayor said, “Though I can understand how you didn’t, living in such a delusion.”

They heard gunfire outside.

“Damn bandits,” Snorrison said, “Another raid? Seriously, there are better targets.”

“Listen to yourself, Chancellor!” the mayor said. “Knud might be stupid enough to tolerate your skitsnack, but not me. You keep deluding yourself into thinking we’re perfectly safe, when we’re not. You keep punishing those who call you out and try to address the coming crisis. And now that the enemy’s here, you still deny they even exist. What the absolute helvete is wrong with you?”

“Funny, I was just about to ask the same with you,” Snorrison said.

The mayor stared at Snorrison, even more dumbfounded by what this man was saying and the realization that he had somehow become chancellor. “Snorrison, with all due respect…you’re a frakking idiot.”

Snorrison put a bullet between the mayor’s eyes. “And in the name of the Fylkir, you’re dead, traitor!”
I agree with the Mayor on this one. I have a felling Snorrison would still deny that there are Crusaders even if he was on is knees with Elias Anhorn himself pointing a gun to his forehead.

Three planes remained. Higa pulled the trigger twice, though obviously he wouldn’t hit any of them. While the rest of his crew scrambled for cover, he stood his ground, having faith in his ship’s defenses. One jet exploded, and two remained. Higa took a deep breath and pointed his gun at one of the remaining jets. A second later, that jet’s wing was torn off by gunfire from one of the point defense turrets, and it veered downward into the ocean. One jet remained. Higa pointed his gun at the last one and steadied his breathing. A cannon round ripped through the fuselage of the jet, but in the split second before detonation, it managed to fire one missile straight at Higa.
Everyone continued firing. Samir’s ears gradually got used to all of the sounds he was hearing. The gunshots, explosions, screaming, it all blended together in one deafening mess. “CEASE FIRE!” The gunfire stopped. When Samir blinked, the surviving Crusaders were in the process of retreating. The ground around them was now littered with the remains of the dead. A handful of survivors desperately tried crawling away to safety, only to be cut down by Persian gunfire.
Well at least it seems to be one step forward and one step back now compared to the one step forward and two steps back in previous updates.

Another direct assault down Nausherwan, even after the last few direct assaults all ended badly. How many brain cells does Jerusalem have again?
That is assuming that they have a brain to begin with.

Sorry I am just now getting to these two updates. I wanted to read them when we did not have that many days left before January.
No worries. There’s plenty of time until I post the next chapter.
It is really weird to hear Gunduz being understanding and not the queen of sarcasm like she usually is.
Gunduz might be a snarky and foul-mouthed lady who takes no prisoners, but she does know when to get serious.
Well they do say "Hell have no furry like a women's scorn".
Especially one who can build a giant particle accelerator or fusion reactor.
May the Dola watch over us today indeed.
No matter what, today will be a fateful day.
The only bright side to this is that Thea might actually be able to take him out herself.
She’s not going to mess up again.
Billy you never ask "what can go wrong." because chances are good it can.
Givien what’s happened over most of this arc, it probably will go wrong.
I agree with the Mayor on this one. I have a felling Snorrison would still deny that there are Crusaders even if he was on is knees with Elias Anhorn himself pointing a gun to his forehead.
Snorrison is so deluded that he would be welcoming Elias to Scandinavia right as he gets shot in the head.
Well at least it seems to be one step forward and one step back now compared to the one step forward and two steps back in previous updates.
Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
That is assuming that they have a brain to begin with.
Or didn’t get it suppressed with a Panopticon.

Back from my vacation so I thought I'd post a little summary of things I did/learned that might be relevant to this megacampaign:

I was in Iberia, so I got some more context into Iberian medieval history and a few individuals I might spotlight. I remember the historical figure Ramon Berenguer II of Barcelona being the first major Iberian landholder I conquered and thus got a lot of land under Friedrich the Glorious. Also, Toledo steel is a thing.

If I ever rework how the Angeloi rebellion began, I could take some inspiration from Franco's coup and the start of the Spanish Civil War.

Spent a day in the actual Perpignan, so if I ever revisit the town in future chapters or a definitive edition I might change how I depict it so it's not just another American-style small town as I previously wrote it.

Completely unrelated to actual Iberian stuff, but I finished the entire Expanse book series during my downtime, aside from two of the short stories I'm still looking for. So I might use things from the books to help with brainstorming the Stellaris part.

I might post the next chapter later today or tomorrow, but I'm really jetlagged and busy unpacking so I might just resume uploading on Sunday as normal.

Reactions:
Back from my vacation so I thought I'd post a little summary of things I did/learned that might be relevant to this megacampaign:
Glad to have you back Zen, hope you enjoy your vacation. I had fun visiting St. Louis, although sadly I missed my chance to go to Cahokia.
I was in Iberia, so I got some more context into Iberian medieval history and a few individuals I might spotlight. I remember the historical figure Ramon Berenguer II of Barcelona being the first major Iberian landholder I conquered and thus got a lot of land under Friedrich the Glorious. Also, Toledo steel is a thing.
I just checked his Wikipedia page and found he actually married the daughter of Robert Guiscard and Sikelgaita, what a funny coincidence.
If I ever rework how the Angeloi rebellion began, I could take some inspiration from Franco's coup and the start of the Spanish Civil War.
That’s a fitting historical event when it comes for inspiration. Perhaps you could also have the Committee‘s Red Christmas purges take inspiration from Indonesia’s anti communist purges should you ever revisit this arc in a definitive edition, as I see a lot of overlap there, in particular religious extremism that played a part in the killings.
Spent a day in the actual Perpignan, so if I ever revisit the town in future chapters or a definitive edition I might change how I depict it so it's not just another American-style small town as I previously wrote it.
That sounds nice. A minor gripe I had with the X-Division arc was actually European and Middle Eastern towns and cities being described as if they were American ones, so seeing their more defining features and cultures be represented in a definitive edition would be appreciated.
I might post the next chapter later today or tomorrow, but I'm really jetlagged and busy unpacking so I might just resume uploading on Sunday as normal.
Same here, I’ll address your comments in the PM chat tomorrow and then post an update later on, rest well.

Last edited:
Glad to have you back Zen, hope you enjoy your vacation. I had fun visiting St. Louis, although sadly I missed my chance to go to Cahokia.
A nice place! Never been there, but I hope to go someday.
I just checked his Wikipedia page and found he actually married the daughter of Robert Guiscard and Sikelgaita, what a funny coincidence.
And he would have been brother-in-law to Bohemond of Antioch as well. I'm 99% sure the in-game version of Ramon Berenguer married someone else, but I could always retcon it back to what happened historically, if only for more Guiscard shenanigans.
That’s a fitting historical event when it comes for inspiration. Perhaps you could also have the Committee‘s Red Christmas purges take inspiration from Indonesia’s anti communist purges should you ever revisit this arc in a definitive edition, as I see a lot of overlap there, in particular religious extremism that played a part in the killings.
Good idea. There's definitely a lot of overlap.
That sounds nice. A minor gripe I had with the X-Division arc was actually European and Middle Eastern towns and cities being described as if they were American ones, so seeing their more defining features and cultures be represented in a definitive edition would be appreciated.
It was both a combination of the original source material being American-based (and me at the time of the X-Division arc doing daily uploads which left little room for diverging from that source material) and myself intentionally wanting to depict the Reich in the 90s and 2000s as very similar to modern America, with a few European cultural quirks depending on the area. Nowadays I do feel like this is pretty reductive and simplistic, and I could've done it way better. For example, Perpignan as I previously wrote it had more in common with a small town from the Deep South (the original town in the source material) than the actual Perpignan, which was a medieval royal capital with cultural ties to Catalonia and famed throughout France for its jewelry. Alençon was a bit better since I explicitly noted its Norman and French features and I shifted to having Angelica speak more Norman/French, but it still felt like an American small town as well. So yeah, in a definitive edition, I'll probably "de-Americanize" the 21st century Reich. I would also want to diverge more from the source material and heavily rewrite the X-Division and Fringe arcs to not be 99% the original scripts, though keeping the general flow of how things went, as I want to make it more of my own thing instead of relying too much on the originals.
Same here, I’ll address your comments in the PM chat tomorrow and then post an update later on, rest well.
Thanks.

Reactions:
Counterattack, Part 3

Shah Cyrus II Stadium, Jerusalem-occupied Sedeh

“Listen up!” The men of Josh’s squad snapped to attention as Theodor walked around them. “Mission is as follows. Our objective is to capture Ali Qapu Palace.” A 3D model of the palace appeared in Josh’s vision, with a point on the roof marked. “Specifically this mechanism on the rooftop. It is a vital piece of Persian military technology we must seize for Jerusalem. You’ll recognize it from the blue glow it gives off. Expect the building to be heavily defended. Any non-Crusader you encounter in there is guaranteed to be hostile. You are clear to shoot on sight. Verstanden? Here’s the route we will be taking. We will use vehicles to get close, then traverse the rest of the way on…”

A message from Leo came in, drawing his attention away from the briefing. Josh opened it, and a map of central Isfahan appeared, showing a blinking dot moving several blocks away from the palace.

What’s this, Leo?

One of my drones captured this video.
A video played, showing a vintage black car with a weird glowing blue engine driving down a street. Josh’s eyes narrowed as he immediately recognized it. Impossible. We destroyed it four years ago. But if it’s back…then…he’s back. To hell with whatever Theodor wants. I have more important things to do.

He drew up his own order via Panopticon, muting Theodor’s still ongoing briefing. They were to hunt down that car and eliminate the occupants, simple enough. He was about to send out the order to the rest of the squad when the Panopticon noticed the strange engine on the car and marked down similarities with the mechanism on the palace rooftop, which also glowed blue. Perhaps it was of a similar model. He edited the order to include recovery of the car. In case they needed backup dealing with these civilians—which was unlikely, the Panopticon estimated a 99% chance of total victory—he also relayed the car retrieval order to other squads. Then he issued the order to his own men. His squad nodded and immediately left for their motorcycles, which had been parked by the entrance. Just for fun, Josh unmuted Theodor. He was apparently screaming now.

“Hey!” Theodor shouted. “Where the frak are you going?!”

“To kill Alex Humboldt,” Josh replied, “Don’t stop us.”

Theodor attempted to issue a stand down order to the squad’s Panopticons, but Josh simply pushed back with his own mind, preventing the order from reaching the rest of his squad. Theodor stepped back, shocked. “You…” he sputtered. “How?”

Josh shrugged. “Guess you’re not as strong as you think.”

He got on his motorcycle and sped off, the rest of his squad close behind.

Just you wait, Humboldt. I’m going to get my revenge.

---

On the other side of the stadium, a helicopter touched down, and Gertrude got out. Sun’s still low in the sky. I hope I’m not too late. A Crusader approached her and saluted. “Gertrude Anhorn, I wasn’t expecting your arrival. Have you—”

Gertrude cut him off. “I’m on official committee business here, so stay out of my way.”

“Yes, ma’am.” The Crusader turned to leave.

“Wait, hold on.” Gertrude reached into the helicopter and took out a wine bottle. Vintage wine from Prince Maximilian’s famous winery. A gift from the late Kaiser she had stupidly and coldly betrayed. She hadn’t touched it yet. She didn’t deserve to drink it yet. “Please keep this safe. I want to be able to enjoy it after we win.”

“Of course, ma’am.” The Crusader took the bottle and left. They still listen to me.

As she walked across the stadium to the command center, she noticed what appeared to be a large platform being set up, probably for another one of Elias’ ultimatums or premature declarations of victory.

“Damnit, damnit, damnit!” Gertrude saw Theodor outside the command center, angrily kicking at the turf. “Frak this!”

“What’s wrong?” Gertrude said.

“Nothing that concerns you, woman!” Theodor said. “Go back to the kitchen—wait, Gertrude?”

Took you that long? “Yes, it’s me. I’m here.”

“The hell are you doing here? This is an active warzone, you know.”

“I was in Tsarberg and the Yavdian bunker,” Gertrude said, “I can handle this.”

“Well, you’re handling it on your own, because I’m leaving,” Theodor said.

“To where?”

“The palace.”

“You and what army?” Gertrude said.

“It was supposed to be Johansen’s elite squad, but they just had to go bail on me five minutes ago.” Theodor stomped on the turf again. “So I’ll have to make up for it with another squad and a lot of drones. It shouldn’t impede on the actual operation to the east.”

“I don’t think that’s going to work,” Gertrude said.

Theodor made a shooing gesture. “Shut up, woman, what do you know about warfare?”

“Says the businessman who never served a day in his life before.”

“I said shut up! Go be with your husband, or whatever!”

“I intend to, thank you very much,” Gertrude said, “That is, if I knew where he is.”

“Oh, he’s preparing the next step of his plan to kill the ex-princess,” Theodor said, “He says it’ll be quite the spectacle, and then she will come to us. Easy as that. Stay here and you’ll get front-row seats to the final end of the Hohenzollerns. For real this time, not like in Yavdi.”

“You’re sounding awfully confident.”

“If I sound confident, wait until you hear Elias.” Then they both noticed Elias walking towards them. Theodor abruptly stopped his tantrum and walked away. “Anyways, I have to get ready for my little assault. See you at the dinnertime victory party!”

Before Gertrude could respond, he was gone. He must be really scared of Elias to prefer personally assaulting the goddamn royal palace instead of staying here.

“Gertrude,” Elias said.

“Hello, Elias,” Gertrude said, “I came here to offer moral support.” Technically true, but not really.

“I wasn’t informed of your arrival.”

Speaking as if I was just another general or politician. “I just got off the helicopter. Can’t really announce that I’m coming here, you know. Too dangerous.”

Elias nodded. “Of course.”

He actually bought that. “So yeah, I’m going to hang around here to watch our impending victory.”

Elias smiled. “That sounds delightful. I have a glorious spectacle planned. A master strategy that will not fail to entrap that traitorous ex-princess. And then we will end her, and our revenge shall be complete.”

Yep, Theodor was right. “Yeah, yeah, sure…I look forward to seeing that.”

“I can offer you a preview right now,” Elias said, “If you’ll just follow me…”

He turned to one of the exits, beckoning for Gertrude to follow. Might be a good opportunity…can’t pass this up. I’ve only got one chance, though. Gertrude followed him through the exit and down a hallway before they arrived at a door guarded by two Crusaders. Never mind then. Elias opened the door wide, giving Gertrude a view of inside. “Isn’t it glorious?”

Gertrude gasped in shock. My God…

Downtown Isfahan

Alexandra turned left again onto another empty street. Alex’s tablet found no irregularities with the reactor, even though they were using the original unstable fission-fusion setup with some modifications, “just in case.” Everyhing was going as it should. The plan was to drive in a large circle around Ali Qapu so as to not get out of Tania’s sniper range and to easily return in case of an emergency while still being far out enough to draw the enemy’s attention. Alex looked out the window, both out of anticipation and fear. He dreaded the moment he would see Josh in one of the mirrors.

“Look, Alex, I can tell you’re scared,” Angelica said.

“I’m not,” Alex said.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to hide it.”

“I must feel like dead weight, being scared right now. Probably gonna get us all killed.”

Angelica shook her head. “It’s thoughts like that which will get you killed. Everyone’s nervous when something big happens. I’d be lying if I said I’m not nervous. Just calm down and trust in our abilities. We’ve planned for this. We know what to do. We can get through this.”

Alex took a deep breath, reminding himself of all that. But then… “What about Thea? We left her and Magnus behind.”

“Tani will look after them,” Angelica said, “And they know what to do. If it helps, Alex…tell yourselve to survive for Thea. How would she react if you fell here?”

Alex’s mind raced with hypotheticals, and then he grounded himself. “Got it. We have to make it through today. I’m going to make it through. For her.”

“That’s right.” Angelica smiled. “Now just hang back, relax, and—”

A bullet shattered the rear window and exited through a side door, making Alex duck. “FRAK!”

Angelica turned around. “Merde, I see them! Motorcycles!”

Alexandra looked in the mirror. “Got it. Everyone buckle up, this will get a little bumpy!”

She floored the gas pedal, and the Impala lurched to speeds more suited for a sports car. Alex grabbed a door armrest and stabilized himself. Then he slowly turned his head. About ten car lengths behind them, he saw several men in Crusader tactical gear—emblazoned with that accursed Argus eye—riding on motorcycles. What he ultimately focused on, though, was their leader. He was clad in a wire-covered metal exosuit straight out of old action sci-fi movies he and Thea used to watch after work. The bullet had come from a turret on his shoulder, like the laser cannon of the Predator from that old movie. The exosuit’s helmet had a glass panel over the man’s face, but Alex could easily see familiar facial features. He clenched his fists.

“Josh. You’re finally here.”

Nausherwan Street

Wilhelmina stabbed down through a tank’s armor, piercing and shattering its main engine. Then she sliced up and cut off its main cannon, disabling it. The crew inside climbed out to shoot her with their regular guns, but she cut those as well. She moved on to the next enemy formation up the street, a machine gun nest. The gunner emptied his clip at Wilhelmina, but she deflected most of the bullets—one which slipped her mind grazed Enonon and pinged off it, barely missing her. Have to be more careful. She reached the machine gun and made short work of it. Behind her, the cheers of the Persian soldiers grew much louder as they advanced behind her, eliminating any remaining Crusader resistance. After hours of deadlock, the Persians were finally advancing again.

“Come on!” she shouted to the troops. “Let’s show these Crusaders a warm Isfahan welcome!”

She raised Enonon and prepared to charge again, but her earpiece rang.

“Willie,” Gunduz said. Her tone sounded urgent.

“What?” Wilhelmina said.

“This is bad. There’s been a development.”

“The palace is under attack?” Like we predicted? “Don’t worry, I’ll make my way back there—”

“No, it’s not that,” Gunduz interrupted, “Well, we are getting frakked sideways, but we have that under control. Something else just came up. Here, take a look at this.”

Wilhelmina’s tablet beeped. She quickly withdrew to the Persian lines, allowing the regular troops to continue the advance on their own. Then she took out the tablet. Gunduz had sent her a video.

“What is this?” Wilhelmina asked.

“You’ll see,” Gunduz said.

Wilhelmina played the video and gasped. It showed Elias standing in front of a stage. He glared at the camera, his face twisted with even more hatred and disgust than she remembered from Yavdi.

“Ex-princess,” he spat, “You will come to Shah Cyrus II Stadium alone and unarmed. I give you my word you will not be attacked on the way there. In exchange…”

Cranes raised several pillars from an opening in the stage floor. And at the bases of the pillars were…

“No,” Wilhelmina said, “NO!”

Tsar Borislav of Russia, who was supposed to have escaped after the fall of Tsarberg, along with his wife and son.

King-Emperor Gediminas, who had disappeared after the fall of Vilnius, along with his own immediate family.

Her old friend Jayasimha of India, who looked like he had been severely burned and bruised all over his body. His head had tipped down, revealing much of his hair had been burned off.

Jayasimha’s granddaughter Lakshmi, who looked slightly better than her grandfather. Her face was full of fear.

And finally, Commissioner Kresge. He looked more confused than hurt. “Seriously, what the hell am I doing here? Hello?!”

“I spare their lives,” Elias said, “You have one hour. After that, I’ll kill them all.”

---

Did you really think I’d kill them all like that?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Damn what a cliffhanger that one.

Well that explains why you haven’t been talking about what happened to those characters at the end for a while. I figured there was a chance Lakshmi was alive, but I'm surprised at Jayasimha, let alone Elias pulling an Amon with him.

Anyways, I just finished TL-191 write up I've been working on, a few years after Zen's inital premise. Hope you all like it.

Last edited:
Damn what a cliffhanger that one.
You're lucky this wasn't part of the previous upload. I was considering leaving for vacation on that cliffhanger for a time.:p
Well that explains why you haven’t been talking about what happened to those characters at the end for a while. I figured there was a chance Lakshmi was alive, but I'm surprised at Jayasimha, let alone Elias pulling an Amon with him.
Yeah, I left all of their fates fairly ambiguous since this was always the plan, and I couldn't reveal too much when we were talking about the "bury your gays" trope a few weeks ago.
Anyways, here's a TL-191 write up I've been working on, a few years after Zen's inital premise. Hope you all like it.
Great work. Though I do suggest splitting the comments on this chapter and the TL-191 stuff into separate posts to avoid spoiling people who click on the TL-191 link from the table of contents.

Timeline 191​

How Few Remain
(1850-1900)

After recovering a lost copy of special order 191 before it falls into Siegfredist hands, Maximist armies catch the Siegfreidist armies off guard at Preizen and destroy it, allowing the Maximists to break Siegfredist lines in a surprise attack and capture Constantionople, causing Sigismund and his court to flee to Russia. The Siegfredist integrate into the Rurikid court and government, beginning Russia’s transition from tsarist absolutism to representative meritocracy. The Siegfredists continue to press their claim to the throne. Russia considers the possibility of finding Chinese allies in the future while the Maximists receive diplomatic recognition from most of the Reich’s former allies.

Emboldened by the victory over the Siegfredist, pro-democracy Jagdruffs led by Prince Martin, the son of Kaiser Maximilian, and the former Siegfredist general Wolgang Ludendorf turn their armies on Berlin to depose Konrad von Habsburg and the ruling junta, continuing the Civil War. Amidst the chaos, the ambitious warlord Maximilian Gorring seizes control over Neurhomania with a combined army of reactionary Jagdruffs and Siegfreidists, proclaiming himself the first Kaiser of an independent Neurhomanian Reich. Scandinavia and Lithuania are able to occupy the Kiel canal, Western Caledonia, and eastern Prussia. Eventually, Martin and Ludendorff triumph over Konrad von Habsburg and force Kaiser Maximillian to abdicate to Prince Martin due to Maximillian's Siegfredist sympathies, allowing Maximillian to peacefully retire to his estate in Saxony while Konrad von Habsburg is tried and executed. The Maximist begin establishing a genuine democratic process, distancing Roman democracy from the rigged elections and xenophobic authoritarianism of Konrad von Habsburg.

Against the advice of the Siegfredist, the Tsar of Russia, Volodar I, backs Scandavia and Lithuania against the Reich when it demands the return of occupied territories in 1860, which draws Russia, the Commonwealth and Scandinavia into a war with the Reich. Despite the Reich’s vast manpower and resources, the Maximists lack competent military leadership and struggles to take Russian territory while supporting Kanata and Mexico in a war with the Meskwaki, while Siegfredists have talented generals and well trained soldiers that help the Russian army fight the Maximists. The Minsk campaign devolves into trench warfare. Eventually, the alliance is able to grind the Reich down to a stalemate and ceasefire, but Russia suffers immense casualties in the war, causing unrest and protests against the Tsar’s rule.

Tsar Volodar relinquishes his absolutist powers in response to protests to his role and works with the Siegfriedists to create a more meritocratic government, changing the face of Russian politics as free and fair examinations are held without the Tsar’s interference. The new ideological diversity sees the Socialists rise to prominence in the Russian Rada, leading to the SPR to merge with the Russian Social Meritocratic Labor Party (RSMLP). While Russia shifts to the left, Nationalist parties start gaining prominence in the Reich, playing on public desires for a rematch with Russia and a return of lost Roman territory. The Crown Prince Federinad capitalizes on the public desire for revenge to criticize his father’s liberal reforms, claiming they have made the Reich weaker and promising to achieve a decisive victory against the Russians and Siegfredist under his leadership. Gorring’s Neurhomania remains a brutal absolute monarchy with the worst qualities of both the Maximists and Siegfriedists, with minorities, particularly the Malins in the region of Nsorala, living in apartheid like conditions and the Gorrings ruling a militarized and xenophobic society with no semblance of Maximist democracy or Siegfriedist meritocracy, all in the name of defending Neurhomania against a perceived Tawantinsuyu threat.

The Russian Siegfredists secure stronger ties with Lithuania, India, Persia and Scandinavia to build a coalition against the Maximist led Central Powers, forming the Convention of Tsarberg. The newly formed Chinese Empire, which conquered the Tran dynasty and unified with Fusang during the Russian-Maximist war of the 1860s, officially remains non-aligned, but uses the Jinwei to support separatist movements in Central Powers nations like Mexico in order to overturn Roman hegemony. Meskwaki later join the Convention, hoping to get their support in toppling the Maximist backed Republic of Kanata, Mayapan and the Triple Alliance, Chinese Fusang and Neurhomania in order to fulfill Pierremaskin’s dream of pan Eimercanism with them as the leaders.

The Großkrieg
(1900-1905)

In 1900, a breakdown in negations between the Reich and Russia over the succession of Kaffa from Abyssina leads to leads to Russia, Persia, the Meskwaki, Scandinavia, Lithuania and newly independent Purepecha Iréchikwa to go to war with the Reich, India, Abyssina, Mali, Yavadi, Mexico, Kanata and Mayapan. China, Neurhomania and Tawantinsuyu remain neutral in the war, but the latter two do go to war with each other in 1901 when border skirmishes escalate into open conflict and China supplies aid to Russia and its allies while also suppressing a Vietnamese rebellion.

Industrialized warfare favors the Reich in the early phases of the war, but it is unable to make any advances into Russia and the Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth due to an extensive network of trenches and fortifications, Lithuania’s talented offers and well disciplined soldiers, underground Siegfredist spies and saboteurs, and a Russo-Siegfredist army preparing for such a war for decades. The Maximists have to face Meskwaki troops invading Kanata, forcing them to divert troops from the Eurasian theater. As winter falls, a stalemate across trench lines along the Lithuanian border. The Reich faces socialist rebellions in France, Iberia and North Africa, which takes a year to subdue. Despite Persia being surrounded by the Reich and India, a Turkish rebellion against India allows Persia to hold its ground against the two great powers and even make successful offensives against the Maximists and Indians.

In December of 1904, a new armored combat vehicle dubbed the “barrel” is invented and widely adopted by Neurhomania, supplementing a massive advance against Twantinsuyu despite the Andean mountains and Amazonian jungles being disadvantageous to the tread-based barrels, allowing Neurhomania to conquer Twantinsuyu. Both the Maximists and Russia aim to copy this new military development, but Russia and its allies are able to mass produce barrels first. Russia successfully advances into Yavadi and the Siegfredists successfully repel a Maximist amphibious invasion of Tsarberg. Neurhomania and China eventually enter the war with an invasion of Mayapan and India, allowing the Meskwaki to overwhelm Mexico and relieve pressure from the Purepecha, and for Persia to push against the Reich and India. Despite their success against Mexico and Mayapan, the Meskwaki are unable to break Kanatan lines, and the Kanatans are even able to capture important cities like Manhattan. The following year sees breakthroughs into Poland due to massed armor assaults, while a simultaneous offensive encircles Maximist troops in the Crimea.

Exhausted by the costs of war and facing a republican revolution in mainland Europe and separatists in its African territories, Republican factions eventually triumph over the monarchy after naval officers mutiny in Hamburg, forcing the Maximists to flee and establish the Kingdom of Sudafrika south of the Sahara. The Republic sues for peace with the Convention, as both sides are too exhausted to push further, hence why the Siegfredists do not press their claim and continue the war. Territorial changes the Reich makes include ceding parts of Poland and Caledonia to Lithuania and Scandavia. Land east of the Tigris and Euphratis is ceded to Persia. Yavadi is annexed by Russia and placed under military occupation. Abyssina is forced to grant independence to Kaffa, while the Ashanti and other southern separatists secede from Mali to form the Republic of Nigeria. Turkestan breaks away from India and becomes heavily influenced by Persia economically and poltically, effectively becoming a Persian puppet state. All Central Powers members are forced to pay heavy war reparations to Convention nations. In the Eimericas, the Meskwaki are wacked by an equalist revolution, which spreads to the Purepecha which had become increasingly economically and militarily reliant on the Meskwaki, overthrowing the monarchies and establishing the Eimerican Commune and the Purepecha Socialist Republic. Shortly afterwards, The Eimerican Commune and Kanata sign a ceasefire, ending their conflict on a stalemate, while Mexico and Mayapan capitulate to Neurhomania and become puppet states instead of being directly annexed like Twaintinsuyu, bringing the Eimerican theater to a close.

Imperium Sine Fine
(1905-1940)

Jubilant at having defeated the Maximists, Russia soon encounters labor unrest that fuels the growth of Socialism in the Russo-Siegfredisit political climate. The Reich experiences hyperinflation and a growth in reactionary extremism, leading to fascist parties like Freiheitspartei, led by ex-sergeant Joachim Federstein, to achieve popularity by demanding revenge for the “stab in the back” allegedly committed against both the Roman military during the war and Konrad von Habsburg by the establishment, as well as disloyal French separatists. Using funding from Neurhomania, which quickly embraces fascism and spreads it to its sphere of influence, the Freihetispartei establishes a paramilitary wing and a radio propaganda program. Eventually, with the crash of 1929, Federstein finally wins the chancellorship in 1934 and set about establishing control over the government, the police force, and the expanding army. Federstein demands the return of former Roman territory in Poland, Holstein, Caledonia and Mesopotamia. After negotiating for plebiscites to be held in those provinces, Western Mesopotamia votes to return to Roman rule, while the rest remain as they are. Soon after, Federstein invades Sudafrika and helps Mali and Abyssina conquer Nigeria and Kaffa, forcing the Maximists to flee to Persia. In the face of fascist aggression, the Maximists and Siegfredists join forces to combat the new threat, meeting in Kyiv to arrange a marriage between Victoria Louise and Otto and hash out a political system with elements from both democracy and meritocracy.

Elsewhere in the world, Abyssina and Mali invade and occupy Kaffa and Nigeria with Roman aid. India, humiliated by its loss at the hands of Persia and China, falls under the sway of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, a hindu revanchist group, becoming belligerent with Persia and China. Yavadi falls under harsh Russian rule and is heavily garrisoned to discourage both potential Chinese encouragement and local resistance to the military occupation. Kanata slowly aligns with China in the hopes of Tianxia protection against future aggression by the Eimerican Commune, which eventually does carry a brief war with China. When the Republic demands the return of West Prussia from Lithuania and the King Emperor refuses, the Republic, Neurhomania, India, Abyssinia and Mali declare war on Russia and its allies, while Neurhomania launch a surprise attack on the Purpecha on June 22, 1940, bringing the Equalists into the war.

Settling Accounts
(1940-1944)

Against Russian and Siegfredist expectations, Roman forces drive deep into Lithuania under the cover of massive bombing raids, but the front soon stalls and and in Kyiv. Persia’s navy suffers reverses against the Roman and Indian navy in the Persian gulf. However, despite both Kaiser Karl and Tsar Vladimir being killed in a bombing raid on Tsarberg, Kaiser Otto and Tsaritsa Sbyslavia rally the Siegfredists and Russians and vow to never surrender. In response. The Republic launches a major offensive aimed at Tsaritsyn, where its army is surrounded and annihilated in urban fighting. Meanwhile, the Freiheitspartei begins “population reductions' ' against its minority populations, using poison gas at camps in France, Poland and the Middle East, with the camps in the latter two territories being forced to be evacuated as Russian and Persian troops advance. Using blitzkrieg-like tactics devised by the Siegfredists and Maximist exiles, the Russian army is able to push through Taurica and Persian-Maximist soldiers capture Baghdad and push towards Syria.

In the Eimericas, the Eimerican commune lose some lands in the Midwest and the Northeast to China and Kanata, but defend the Purepecha and Taysha border. Neurhomania’s Muscogean campaign fails spectacularly. With the sudden Chinese invasion of India resulting in Neurhomania being at war with Fusang, the Commune begins counter offensives in 1942. With Neurhomania facing an uprising in Tawantinsuyu, The Commune occupies Mexico and Mayapan and takes the Panama, threatening Neurhomania’s heartland. Having won the nuclear arms race, the Eimerican Commune destroys New Berlin with an atomic bomb. As more belligerents acquire nuclear weapons, the list of cities targeted grows to include Kyiv, Danzig, Brun, Delhi, Tehran, Adis Abba, Timbuktu, Toronto, Michigan city, Jinshan, Zhmashi, and Hongzhou. Neurhomania, India, Mali and Abyssinia sue for peace and the Tianxia Alliance and the Commune sign a ceasefire.

With Iberia and France in rebellion, Republican generals surrendering and Federstein killed by French partisans while trying to escape, the Roman Republic surrenders unconditionally. Russian forces hold trials for crimes against humanity and take extreme measures against the remaining bands of guerrillas, while generally aided by scattered minorities like the French and Poles. The Roman monarchy is restored, with Kaiser Otto and Kaiserin Victoria Louise helping establish a mixed democratic-meritocratic system, hoping to mend the century of tensions between the two Hohenzollern families and create a political system with the help of the now ascendant Russia and Persia, while also pleading to restrict the nuclear proliferation around the world.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: