The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That’s neat. This also reminded me of something I’ve been wondering about, especially with House of the Dragon currently nearing its first season finale. I was wondering, if you’re planning on doing lore updates for other Planetos eras before the books like you did with the Long Night, then what would your plans for events like the Dance of the Dragons and other Fire & Blood content be? From what I can tell, the Dance was based on the English Anarchy during the 12th century, and the Roman Anarchy of the 1590s isn’t exactly the same. Come to think of it, it’s a bit ironic how I’m talking about Targaryen lore now considering that Braavos was founded by former slaves of Valyria that managed to escape it.
The events leading to the Dance will mostly be the same since I've pretty much read Fire and Blood (And halfway through the Dance now), how the Dance happens however is very different, obviously Gregoras ITTL would have based Rhaenyra from Saint Willhelmina (Aside from the whole 'Strong Boys' gig, though that can be a tongue in cheek analog to Willhelmina's troubles of men older than her attempting to seduce her), all the good and bad. Aegon the Elder's mostly the same,, though of course this time based on Prince Kiril instead of the historical Stephen of Blois, the way both die is still mostly the same too. Rhaenyra would actually get to be queen for two and a half years compared to her status a half-year queen since like the OTL Fire and Blood and HOTD eventually, the constant betrayals and the deaths of her eldest sons leads to a spiral depression especially after the presumed fate of her youngest child, this causes her to be labaled as 'Maegor with teats' eventually. How the Dance occurs on my version is different as Aegon actually decides to go to Essos and live out his days there as a spoiled noble not only to avoid the responsibility of ruling but also to discourage his mother and grandfather to go ahead with their plans (Like how the show version attempted to do so), though it obviously fails, it's when it's half a year after Viserys dies and Rhaenyra inherits that the Dance occurs is similar to OTL, a dragon skirmish near Storm's End. Only difference is that a mercenary army led by Hightower knights land in the Stormlands, with a somewhat battle hardened Aegon leading them and being crowned king. After that, the Dance goes the same way as in OTL, just a few major changes. Most obviously the battles it would take for the Greens to take King's Landing.
Cool. So will it have a major maritime rival akin to the Mayans having to fight off the Mexica in the Caribbean?
The Triarchy fills in that position when the three free cities actually end up banning together like it happens during the events of HOTD and on years to come, Bravos pretty much sees the Triarchy as a quasi version of the Freehold, though obviously much weaker this time, it's why they periodically ally with the Iron Throne for support, and if not them, then mostly the Velaryons and which ever Targaryen heir rules Dragonstone.

Reactions:
The events leading to the Dance will mostly be the same since I've pretty much read Fire and Blood (And halfway through the Dance now), how the Dance happens however is very different, obviously Gregoras ITTL would have based Rhaenyra from Saint Willhelmina (Aside from the whole 'Strong Boys' gig, though that can be a tongue in cheek analog to Willhelmina's troubles of men older than her attempting to seduce her), all the good and bad. Aegon the Elder's mostly the same,, though of course this time based on Prince Kiril instead of the historical Stephen of Blois, the way both die is still mostly the same too. Rhaenyra would actually get to be queen for two and a half years compared to her status a half-year queen since like the OTL Fire and Blood and HOTD eventually, the constant betrayals and the deaths of her eldest sons leads to a spiral depression especially after the presumed fate of her youngest child, this causes her to be labaled as 'Maegor with teats' eventually. How the Dance occurs on my version is different as Aegon actually decides to go to Essos and live out his days there as a spoiled noble not only to avoid the responsibility of ruling but also to discourage his mother and grandfather to go ahead with their plans (Like how the show version attempted to do so), though it obviously fails, it's when it's half a year after Viserys dies and Rhaenyra inherits that the Dance occurs is similar to OTL, a dragon skirmish near Storm's End. Only difference is that a mercenary army led by Hightower knights land in the Stormlands, with a somewhat battle hardened Aegon leading them and being crowned king. After that, the Dance goes the same way as in OTL, just a few major changes. Most obviously the battles it would take for the Greens to take King's Landing.

The Triarchy fills in that position when the three free cities actually end up banning together like it happens during the events of HOTD and on years to come, Bravos pretty much sees the Triarchy as a quasi version of the Freehold, though obviously much weaker this time, it's why they periodically ally with the Iron Throne for support, and if not them, then mostly the Velaryons and which ever Targaryen heir rules Dragonstone.
Sounds like I should probably start HOTD so I get context on these names. Or finish Fire and Blood. Or both.:p

I like the idea of the Triarchy. Don't know what to say about it, though.

A Day for Women

Grand Bazaar - February 24

The bazaar was lively today, even though it was much colder than usual and a light layer of snow covered the sidewalks. Alex hadn’t seen it so bustling since he arrived in Persia. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a sign of things returning to normal. He doubted the crowds would return to the sizes he remembered until the war ended, assuming they won. No, it was solely because today was a holiday.

It was called Sepandārmazgān. It was a centuries-old Zoroastrian holiday that experienced a revival in the 11th century, after the Pagan Resurgence. It was actually a combination of two holidays. One was an agricultural festival to pray for a good harvest later in the year. The other was a celebration of women—originally mothers and wives but now expanded to just all women in general—by giving them presents.

That was the reason Alex was in the bazaar. Magnus was also here, having forgotten the holiday existed until Alexandra sternly reminded him last week. They were all still getting used to living in Persia, even after four years.

“You really frakked up,” Alex said.

“How was I supposed to know today was a holiday?” Magnus replied. “And that Alexandra was expecting a present?”

Alex rolled his eyes. “It’s like if you moved to the Reich—before, I mean—and you didn’t know Christmas was a thing.”

“But everyone celebrates Christmas now. Or at least they used to.”

“Can you at least try to understand my analogy?”

“Hey, you’re one to talk. You’re here with me.”

“We at least were busy working on the Impala reactor.” We’re very close to the first test run now, using the safer pure fusion design. “You, on the other hand, have been on break last week.”

Magnus shook his head. “Who wouldn’t, after being forced to handle every single presentation to Gunduz?”

“You better find something nice for her,” Alex said.

“Well, got any suggestions?”

Alex stopped in front of a news stand set up in front of a house and picked up a copy of Farhang, Persia’s oldest and most reputable newspaper. He flipped away from the front page and the dire news he had gotten used to seeing—today’s headline was “CRUSADERS ADVANCE ON VILNIUS,” and underneath that was “JERUSALEMITE TROOP SURGE SPOTTED IN MESOPOTAMIA”—and checked the lifestyle section. “Let’s see…‘Top 5 gifts for your significant other this Sepandārmazgān’…”

“How do you pronounce that so easily?”

“…Actually, I’m not sure if I got it right. Anyways, it seems most men pick flowers.”

Magnus scoffed. “Flowers? Really? Might as well be Valentine’s Day.”

“It says other couples eat at fancy restaurants,” Alex read further, “But then again, it doesn’t feel right when we’re at war.”

“It doesn’t feel right because we have access to the palace dining halls!”

Oh, right. “Yeah, that too.”

The news stand owner knocked on his counter. “Hey, you gonna buy that or what? It’s twelve dinars.”

“Sorry.” Alex put the newspaper back. “Really? Twelve dinars?”

“Man’s gotta make a living,” the old salesman said, “Especially in this economy.”

“I know, I know.” Gunduz’s invasion must’ve cost a whole lot. “But we’re not in the mood for news today.”

“I can tell. Heard you two pesar-ân talking about Sepandārmazgān. Lady troubles, I take it?”

“I’m fine, but him?” Alex pointed at Magnus. “Not so much.”

“Seems you have a lot to learn about living in Persia, my Rōmāyī friend.”

“I do not!” Magnus indignantly said.

The salesman laughed. “Your Persian also needs some work.”

Good thing Thea and I took some classes when we got here. “So do you have any suggestions for gifts? I don’t really need any help myself, but Magnus would really appreciate it, even if he doesn’t sound like it.”

“Let me see…” the salesman thought. “You know, my mother—bless her—always called today mard-giran. Possessing of men, in German.”

“Possessing…of men?” Magnus said.

The salesman nodded. “Âri, âri. Sepandārmazgān is not to be taken lightly. It is a celebration that is special to the women in our lives, because it celebrates them. So you’d best give something appropriate to your lady friend.”

“Yeah, no pressure there, Magnus.” Alex lightly elbowed him.

“Shut it!” Magnus replied, like a schoolboy.

Almost like how Manfred was in middle school…

“Do you know what she would like?” the salesman asked.

“Well…” Magnus hesitated. “Eh…”

“Come on, Magnus,” Alex said, “You’ve known Alexandra since high school, right? Tell me you know what she’d like.”

“You think I don’t know? She likes outer space documentaries, peer-reviewed articles on theoretical physics, hourlong analyses of the technology and philosophical themes of Warstar Tianlong, and amphilicite samples from random European quarries. I doubt we’re going to find any of those in this bazaar, Alex!”

“Calm down, friend,” the salesman said, “Do you know anything…less academic she would like?”

“Uh…let’s see…”. Magnus hung there for a few seconds.

Alex realized it first. “You don’t know.”

“Of course I do!” Magnus’ face was red now.

“Yeah, you don’t know.”

Magnus glared at him.

“In that case, may I suggest something?” the salesman said.

“Better not be some tacky overpriced souvenir for tourists,” Alex said.

“You wound me! Why, I would never!” The salesman rummaged under his counter. “Every year I always give my wife the same gift.”

“Wouldn’t she complain?” Magnus said.

“No, because it was this.” The salesman took out a physical photograph, something Alex hadn’t seen in a long time. This one showed the salesman and his wife at a Nowruz celebration last year. The salesman pointed to the hat his wife was wearing. “Well, not exactly the same, but I always get something she’d like to wear. Last year she needed a new hat because it was sunny a lot. The year before, I bought her new shoes because her old ones wore out. I wouldn’t recommend buying shoes, though. Even though they’re cheap, there’s all those dark rumors about where they come from.”

Rumors? Not surprised, but maybe I should’ve known that when Thea and I went shoe shopping after we first got here. “And this year?”

“A jacket. Because it’s cold.”

“A jacket…” Magnus said. “She could use a new coat. Would she like that, Alex? You should know what your cousin likes, wouldn’t you?”

“It’s a good bet,” Alex said. Unlike Magnus, I do know what she likes.

“Excellent choice,” the salesman said.

“You wouldn’t happen to know a good coat store in this bazaar, would you?”

The salesman smiled.

“Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me,” Magnus said.

“I’m a newspaper salesman, and I have been for many decades, but fortunately for you, my Rōmāyī friend, I have a spare coat lying around in my closet. My wife’s old coat, in fact.”

“You sure a hand-me-down’s gonna work as a holiday gift?” Magnus said. “It’s kind of my marriage on my line here.”

You’re exaggerating, but whatever.

“Don’t worry, young man, even if it’s been used in the past, it’s still very warm and presentable. Not to mention fashionable.”

Alexandra’s idea of fashion is wearing lab coats as often as she can. I think I can count the times she’s worn a dress or skirt in the last 20 years on one hand.

“Here, let me go get it right now!” The salesman briefly ran back into his house and emerged several seconds later with the coat. It seemed to be a light brown trench coat, with a fur collar and embroidered geometric patterns like those found in the palace and fire temples. The patterns were sewn all over, but they had been done in a subtle way that didn’t draw attention. In a way, it reminded Alex a little of the coat Aunt Angela used to wear. “See for yourself. No tears or stains. I even washed it a few times.”

“If it’s not even worn out, why’d your wife stop wearing it?” Magnus said.

The salesman nervously looked behind him and then leaned in closer. “Honestly, she was a little paranoid about how cold the nuclear winter could get. I was too, after I saw the forecast for the next week. We’re both getting up there in age. But don’t tell her I said any of that.”

“Heard you loud and clear,” Alex said. I don’t think that’s going to happen. “Magnus, you like this?”

Magnus shrugged. “Not like I have another good choice right now. Alright, how much?”

The salesman tapped on an archaic cash register and double-checked his math with an equally old calculator. “Normally I don’t sell clothes, but if I did, I’d have charged maybe a hundred dinars for this. But since you two young men have been so fun to talk to—the most fun I’ve had on the job in years—I’ll give you a discount. Fifty dinars.”

Seems reasonable. Clothes in the bazaar typically go for 150 or more these days, unless they’re shoes, but if this guy’s suspicions are right, there’s a reason they’re so cheap. Alex looked at Magnus. “Still good?”

Magnus nodded and took out his wallet. “Yes, of course.” He handed a fifty dinar bill—showing Shahbanu Furuzan—to the salesman, who handed the coat to Magnus with a smile. “Let’s see how this goes.”

Xeyli mamnun!” he beamed. “You’ve truly made my day. I hope your lady friend enjoys that coat as much as my wife did. Gotta bundle up in this weather, right?”

“Right, right,” Magnus said, “Hopefully she likes this.”

“We should get going,” Alex said, “The store I wanted to check out is closing early.”

“Best be on your way, my friends,” the salesman said, “Safe travels, and may you both survive this Sepandārmazgān!”

They said their goodbyes and left the stand.

“Well, that was an unexpected detour,” Magnus said, “Where to next?”

“The place where I’m going to get my gift,” Alex said, “Over there.”

They soon reached another stand. This one sold womens’ shawls, each hand-sewn by the same old woman behind the counter.

“I was last here to get a shawl for Thea to wear during the memorial service,” Alex said, “But I wanted to get one for casual wear.”

“You seem to be on top of things,” Magnus said, “Unlike me.”

“Nonsense, you’ve been a great help.”

Magnus shook his head. “Doesn’t feel that way a lot of the time. Sometimes, I feel third wheeled among us four. Which is weird because there are four of us.”

“Third wheeled?” Alex said. “How so?”

“Well, you have Thea, and Alexandra’s your cousin. You two did most of the theoretical and engineering work on the reactor. I just did the code, put my name on the certificate with Alexandra, and…God forbid…the presentations.”

“Hey, all that was helpful. We wouldn’t have gotten to where we were without that code. And the reason we still have funding is because Gunduz believes in us thanks to your presentations on our work.”

“You sure it isn’t cronyism? Because Alexandra happens to be friends with Wilhelmina and Wilhelmina’s pretty close with Her Blunt Majesty?”

“No, Gunduz would know better. Please, Magnus, don’t look down on yourself. We do appreciate you. Even if we do tease you about the presentations all the time. If you want, we could start presenting a couple times, and maybe you could try your hand at testing the Impala reactor.”

Magnus lit up. “Really?”

Alex patted him on the shoulder. “Of course. You’re our friend, after all. No, after all we’ve been through, you’re our family. My dad—and Aunt Angie—always told me family looks out for each other.”

Magnus smiled. “Thanks, Alex.”

“No problem.” Alex dug around in his pocket and took out several dinar bills. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a shawl to buy. I already have an idea of what Thea would like.”

Ali Qapu Palace lab

Alex and Magnus found Thea and Alexandra in the lab as usual. They had made room in the middle of the lab for the Impala. The 70-year-old car had been stripped down to its frame after disposing of all of the broken parts. That included all of the doors and windows, leaving the car looking more like an empty shell than an actual vehicle. Alexandra was writing her observations down in a notebook. Thea was adjusting the engine block. The new engine looked unlike any engine Alex was used to. It lacked the combustion chambers and pistons of the traditional gas engines his mother taught him to work with, though he had largely forgotten most of his lessons by now. Although it was sleeker than an electric motor, it was also taller than one, with exhaust vents on top. Several glass panels revealed a light blue glow coming from within.

Thea looked up from working on the betharium fusion reactor. “Hey, you’re back. How was the shopping—”. She noticed the bags in Alex and Magnus’ hands. “Oh. What’s that?”

Alex lightly nudged Magnus with his foot.

“We brought presents for Sep…Sepan…Spendar…oh forget it,” Magnus said, “You know the name. We got you two stuff.”

That got Alexandra’s attention. “Really? What did you get me, Magnus?” She spoke with a little sternness, probably annoyed by Magnus’ flippant tone.

“Uh…” Magnus stammered. “Here.” He dig into his bag and took out the coat. “I bought you this overcoat. Cost fifty dinars.”

Alexandra raised an eyebrow. “A coat? And for only fifty dinars?”

Alex could easily see Magnus fidgeting and shaking nervously. “So…” Magnus said. “I searched all over the bazaar for something to get you, talked to this newspaper stand owner for a few minutes, and he directed me to something I thought you’d like, soI’dliketohearyourthoughts—”

“I like it.” Alexandra smiled.

“Frak, I knew this would happen, I’m gonna dip out and go look for another—wait, you really like it?”

Alexandra closely scrutinized the coat. “Well, the color’s faded in a couple areas. I see a little wear and tear around the wrist collars. Some loose threads here and there. It’s obviously been previously owned. But I can tell you went through a lot to find this. You really went out of your way to find something you thought I would like. And I do like it. The patterns are pretty.”

“I was just worried about replacing your mother’s coat. I know it has sentimental value to you.” Magnus looked at a coat hanger by the wall, where Angela’s old tattered coat hung. “Even if it’s pretty beaten up.”

Alexandra understood what he meant. “That coat…it’s definitely sentimental. Mom wore it after her grandpa died wearing it, and then she died wearing it. When I put on that coat, I feel the weight of all of their sacrifices and efforts over the decades. I remember everything Mom worked and fought for. Honestly? Sometimes that weight is too much.”

She took the “new” coat from Magnus. “Mom was Mom, and I am myself. She wouldn’t want me to be exactly like herself. Maybe that’s why she sent me to live with the von Calws, so I wouldn’t follow her into her Athanatoi.”

“We went over this before,” Alex said, “We are our own people. We don’t have to follow what our parents did.”

Alexandra looked at Angela’s coat and then her new one. She nodded. Then she put it on, shrugging a few times to get her arms through the sleeves. “It’s okay, Magnus. You don’t have to worry. I think it’s time I gave Mom’s coat a rest.”

“What, you’re going to throw it out?” Magnus said. “Hold on a moment.”

“No, no, no.” Alexandra held up her hands, inadvertently showing off the patterns on her sleeves. “I’d never do that. I’m just going to put it away for now. Since I’ve gotten a new coat and all. How do I look?”

“Great, as always,” Magnus said, “Though I really think you should drop the lab coat. Wearing two coats at once is weird.”

“You’re probably right.” She turned to Alex. “Sorry for taking the spotlight away from you. What did you get Thea?”

“Oh, uh, right.” Almost forgot I’m here too. He opened his bag and took out a Persian shawl. This one was like the one he got her for the memorial service, though this one had no patterns. It was a subdued red with some purple highlights. “Another shawl for you, Thea. Handmade by that lady in the bazaar, you know the one. If you’ll look closely at the button there…”

Magnus rolled his eyes. “Oh, way to upstage me, Alex.”

Thea took the shawl, feeling the soft fabric in her hands. The shawl was supposed to be put over her shoulders but not wrapped around her, instead falling over her arms and upper body. It was held in place with a button loosely clasping the shawl around her neck. This button was monogrammed with three overlapping letters spelling “HFT.” For Alex, the pattern held a certain beauty in its simplicity and subtlety.

HFT.png

“It cost an extra forty dinars for her son to engrave the monogram, but I think it was worth it,” Alex said, “Why don’t you try it on, Thea?”

Thea put on the shawl, adjusting it so the button went over the middle of her collarbone and both sides of the shawl hung evenly down her arms. With her hair done in a ponytail and her hands clasped in front of her, she looked positively regal, carrying herself with a certain grace. How does she do that?

When she smiled, Alex’s heart fluttered, and his face melted. “So, how do I look?”

Alex could barely speak. “Uh…um…absolutelystunningyesindeed. Er, I mean, absolutely stunning.”

“I love it!” Thea leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “That was a great gift. I always love Sepa…Se…never mind, you know what I mean.”

“Get a room, you two,” Magnus joked.

“So when’s the wedding?” Alexandra said.

“Shouldn’t be more worried about the war first?” Alex said.

“If you want to end up like us with our really long engagement, then sure,” Magnus said.

“At least you guys didn’t have to worry about not dying in a war that will decide the fate of the world,” Thea said, “Especially when it feels like we’re approaching the most pivotal moment of the war.”

“How do you get that feeling, anyways?”

Thea shrugged. “Hell if I know. You could say it’s…wrapped around me.”

Everyone fell silent. Alexandra glared at Magnus and shook her fist. “MAGNUS! WHAT DID I SAY?!”

“I swear I stopped!” Magnus put his hands up.

That wasn’t even a good one…

---

I decided to draw out the monogram literally right before writing this message, while doing final edits. It took about five minutes to do, and most of the time came from trying out fonts. The original plan was to use Times New Roman, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work, so I went with Sans Serif. I think that's better as it's much simpler and can be taken for a simple pattern if not a monogram.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I really like how much attention to detail you’re putting into Persian culture lately, as I didn’t know about stuff like Sepandārmazgān or Naqsh-e Jahan Square until this arc. It makes this world feel really lived in. There’s one minor gripe I have with this update tho, and it’s Persian characters like the salesman calling their own country Persia instead of using the native name. I can understand Roman characters using the name Persia, but I’m not sure how to feel about the country’s very inhabitants, espically since in previous updates there seems to be a growing backlash to the Reich's cultural and geopolitical influence. If you don’t want to use Iran then perhaps you could use a variant of the name like Eran or Eranshahr.

Last edited:
I really like how much attention to detail you’re putting into Persian culture lately, as I didn’t know about stuff like Sepandārmazgān or Naqsh-e Jahan Square until this arc. It makes this world feel really lived in. There’s one minor gripe I have with this update tho, and it’s Persian characters like the salesman calling their own country Persia instead of using the native name. I can understand Roman characters using the name Persia, but I’m not sure how to feel about the country’s very inhabitants, espically since in previous updates there seems to be a growing backlash to the Reich's cultural and geopolitical influence. If you don’t want to use Iran then perhaps you could use a variant of the name like Eran or Eranshahr.
From what I searched up, both "Persia" and "Iran" are acceptable for non-government contexts, and Persian is the preferred term for describing the language in other languages, instead of Farsi. In OTL, "Iran" was adopted as the official name of the country by Reza Shah in 1935. Here, the same thing happened with Reza Khan and his fascist regime. The name "Iran" was later adopted by the nationalist Chinese puppet regime after the war. So there is a stigma against using "Iran" in the context of the government due to the fascist and Chinese puppet connotations. But that's not to say nobody uses it. In a chapter near the end of this batch, I have Gunduz and a few soldiers mentioning "Iran," but they're speaking untranslated Persian when they do, and it's in a cultural context. When Gunduz speaks German or talks about the government, she uses Persia.

So here's how I see it. Iran is how the Persians refer to their own state in their own language, but Persia is what they prefer when speaking in other languages or for foreign use. So the salesman says Persia when speaking in German, but Iran when speaking in Persian. The official name of the country remains Persia due to the aforementioned political stigma with the fascists and Chinese. Especially now since Persia is at war with China. Referring to the state as "Iran" would give off connotations of surrendering to China. Though since there is a growing backlash to Roman influence and an increasing embrace of Chinese influence, I could see that changing in the coming months.

I also didn't want to confuse the audience by switching between Iran and Persia so quickly, or suddenly introducing mentions of Iran when previous Persian-focused chapters only used Persia. You can assume if a character is speaking Persian and I write "Persia," they are saying "Iran" but I simplified it for the audience's convenience.

I actually avoid the name Eran because it (and Eraq) were used in Age of Miracles and I have been trying to distance myself from referencing that lately.

Reactions:
Both a good use of culture as well as a reminder of the friendship and relationships that tie this group.

Both a good use of culture as well as a reminder of the friendship and relationships that tie this group.
Even if we ignore their blood or marital ties, they truly have become a family.

Once again I like how you're starting to add in cultural stuff, really makes the world come alive, especially that conversation with the salesman. This group really has become a family, blood ties or not, they've been through to hell and back getting to where they are.

Once again I like how you're starting to add in cultural stuff, really makes the world come alive, especially that conversation with the salesman. This group really has become a family, blood ties or not, they've been through to hell and back getting to where they are.
And just as Anders and Angela would've wanted, this family won't leave one another.

Sorry that it took me so long to read this update. I have been catching up on the Victoria 3 streams that Paradox has been doing.

The bazaar was lively today, even though it was much colder than usual and a light layer of snow covered the sidewalks. Alex hadn’t seen it so bustling since he arrived in Persia. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a sign of things returning to normal. He doubted the crowds would return to the sizes he remembered until the war ended, assuming they won. No, it was solely because today was a holiday.

It was called Sepandārmazgān. It was a centuries-old Zoroastrian holiday that experienced a revival in the 11th century, after the Pagan Resurgence. It was actually a combination of two holidays. One was an agricultural festival to pray for a good harvest later in the year. The other was a celebration of women—originally mothers and wives but now expanded to just all women in general—by giving them presents.
Like what others have been saying in that I also like the introduction of culture into these updates. I was a bit surprised however since we did not see how the Committee would twist something like a Women's Day since in a previous update you showed how the Persians celebrate a holiday and how the Committee celebrates one. But I am still glad that this was mainly a "fluf" chapter.

“Well, you have Thea, and Alexandra’s your cousin.
So since Alexandra is Alexis cousin and Magnus is engaged to her what would that make Alex and Magnus?

This button was monogrammed with three overlapping letters spelling “HFT.” For Alex, the pattern held a certain beauty in its simplicity and subtlety.
I was also wondering what "HFT" stood for and why it was in such an intricate pattern?

Though since there is a growing backlash to Roman influence and an increasing embrace of Chinese influence, I could see that changing in the coming months.
Really? When has that started heaping since for me I thought the Persians hated China as much as the Committee?

All in all I have been liking these "peaceful" updates. However I am worried with all of these "peaceful" updates you are setting us up for a major tragedy.

Sorry that it took me so long to read this update. I have been catching up on the Victoria 3 streams that Paradox has been doing.
It's fine. You don't have to worry. My posts aren't going anywhere unless the forums go down.
Like what others have been saying in that I also like the introduction of culture into these updates. I was a bit surprised however since we did not see how the Committee would twist something like a Women's Day since in a previous update you showed how the Persians celebrate a holiday and how the Committee celebrates one. But I am still glad that this was mainly a "fluf" chapter.
We definitely need fluff now. I want to lighten the mood a bit and focus more on Persia and our protagonists for this batch. Though that's not to say non-Persian characters won't be spotlighted.

I think contrasting a Persian holiday with how Jerusalem celebrates its equivalent would have gotten repetitive after the previous times I did it, so this time I didn't consider it. There isn't an official Jerusalem holiday taking place at the same time, too. There is an old Norse holiday this month, but I ended up cutting back on it since there is another major Persian holiday happening at around the same time and my Scandinavian characters' plot in this batch focuses on other things. I still mention it in the chapter after the next one. I didn't make any comparisons, though.
So since Alexandra is Alexis cousin and Magnus is engaged to her what would that make Alex and Magnus?
Cousins in law I guess? And I think by this point the marriage has gone through and Alexandra and Magnus are fully married. I just didn't say it or mention a ceremony because there wasn't one and they had no time to do anything other than sign the paperwork.
I was also wondering what "HFT" stood for and why it was in such an intricate pattern?
It stands for Humboldt-Frank and Tesla. As for the pattern, I used Inkscape to mash the letters H, F, and T together in a way I thought looked nice. It's supposed to be a monogram representing both Alex and Thea, but for anyone who doesn't know them and just sees the symbol, it still looks nice as a simple pattern.
Really? When has that started heaping since for me I thought the Persians hated China as much as the Committee?
Yes, Persians generally hate Han and his China, but they hate Jerusalem way more and have come to associate old Roman culture with Jerusalem too. Han has been exploiting everything Jerusalem's done to cast himself in a positive light, as the savior of humanity from Jerusalem's tyranny. A not insignificant number of Persians are starting to come around to his ideas. It's like what happened when Josiah went to Russia to negotiate the trade deal and public opinion almost completely turned against Olga, Wilhelmina, and the Roman exiles.
All in all I have been liking these "peaceful" updates. However I am worried with all of these "peaceful" updates you are setting us up for a major tragedy.
nervous sweating

Yes, Persians generally hate Han and his China, but they hate Jerusalem way more and have come to associate old Roman culture with Jerusalem too. Han has been exploiting everything Jerusalem's done to cast himself in a positive light, as the savior of humanity from Jerusalem's tyranny. A not insignificant number of Persians are starting to come around to his ideas. It's like what happened when Josiah went to Russia to negotiate the trade deal and public opinion almost completely turned against Olga, Wilhelmina, and the Roman exiles.
Well then hopefully something similar can happen in Persia in were Wilhelmina is able to do with Gunduz what she did with Olga and turn public opinion back to being pro-Loyalist.

Also if you think about it if the anti-Jerusalem forces win you will have Emerica, Srivijaya, Africa, the remnant Roman states, and what is left of Scandinavia and India vs China in a new Cold War?

In a similar way to OTL in were you have NATO vs China?

Also if you think about it if the anti-Jerusalem forces win you will have Emerica, Srivijaya, Africa, the remnant Roman states, and what is left of Scandinavia and India vs China in a new Cold War?

I could see that, through India, now that the royal family and the government have been wiped out, probably wouldn't be much a useful ally against China now.

Watching this video about the rebuilding of Warsaw after WW2 makes me wonder what the post Jerusalem's regimes at making up for the damage the Commitee has done would be like, particularly the cultural genocide Jerusalem did against groups like Muslims. I can't help but imagine that undoing all the damage the Committee did through Tabula Rasa in the Reich alone would be one hell of a daunting process, one that would be financially burdening on the post Jerusalem regime. I also wouldn't be surprised if Germans brought up to hate non Germans would view Wilhelmina's attempts at cultural restoration in places like the Middle East or Europe's old churches as dictatorial vanity projects, while minorities would see these reconstructions as inauthentic copies that don't make up for the destruction of their original culture by the Reich. And that's not even talking about the damage Crusaders did to the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Well then hopefully something similar can happen in Persia in were Wilhelmina is able to do with Gunduz what she did with Olga and turn public opinion back to being pro-Loyalist.
The one thing setting apart now from then was that Russia wasn't at war with Jerusalem when that happened. It's going to be much more difficult to restore the loyalist cause if the Persians start to see them as no different from Jerusalem.
The war isn't over yet. There's still a lot for each of the anti-Jerusalem nations to handle. The Eimericans have smallpox, Srivijaya has the neo-equalists, Africa is still arguing over how to unite, and the remnant Roman states are useless without foreign backing. Even if they somehow survive, I think if Jerusalem does fall, they'll spend decades just trying to rebuild themselves. Without a Marshall Plan to jumpstart their economies and rebuild their infrastructure, they'll be spending lots of time and money just keeping themselves from falling apart.
Only problem is unlike OTL NATO, there is no US equivalent at the heart of the alliance.
I could see that, through India, now that the royal family and the government have been wiped out, probably wouldn't be much a useful ally against China now.
Not to mention the vast majority of the Indian population has been wiped out as well. Jerusalem just decided to screw over India in particular, it seems. Sad how the Reich's oldest friend has become Jerusalem's favorite punching bag and target practice.
Watching this video about the rebuilding of Warsaw after WW2 makes me wonder what the post Jerusalem's regimes at making up for the damage the Commitee has done would be like, particularly the cultural genocide Jerusalem did against groups like Muslims. I can't help but imagine that undoing all the damage the Committee did through Tabula Rasa in the Reich alone would be one hell of a daunting process, one that would be financially burdening on the post Jerusalem regime. I also wouldn't be surprised if Germans brought up to hate non Germans would view Wilhelmina's attempts at cultural restoration in places like the Middle East or Europe's old churches as dictatorial vanity projects, while minorities would see these reconstructions as inauthentic copies that don't make up for the destruction of their original culture by the Reich. And that's not even talking about the damage Crusaders did to the rest of the world.
In that scenario, it could be that the rest of the world simply won't bother. To hell with Jerusalem, don't waste any money on helping the enemy when your own people need the help first. If Han's still in power, he probably would order the rest of the world to ignore Jerusalem, saying they deserve everything they got. Let them fight each other and the government over scraps and useless culture wars forever. That way, they will never be united and prosperous enough to threaten anyone ever again.

In that scenario, it could be that the rest of the world simply won't bother. To hell with Jerusalem, don't waste any money on helping the enemy when your own people need the help first. If Han's still in power, he probably would order the rest of the world to ignore Jerusalem, saying they deserve everything they got. Let them fight each other and the government over scraps and useless culture wars forever. That way, they will never be united and prosperous enough to threaten anyone ever again.
I could see that as a possibility, along with even more extreme reactions like demanding the post war government to pay punishing reparations designed to bankrupt the Reich and cede huge swaths of territories to its neighbors, but still, my original post was about how the post war Roman government would deal with the consequences of Tabula Rasa, not how the rest of the world would treat the Reich. I still think that both Germans that benefited from Jerusalem’s rule, relatively speaking, and minorities the Commitee persecuted would hate the post Jerusalem government no matter what and might frequently rebel against any Roman government. For example, I don‘t think muslims would ever forgive Romans for the destruction of the Kaaba, I know I wouldn’t if I lived in this universe.

Last edited:
I could see that as a possibility, along with even more extreme reactions like demanding the post war government to pay punishing reparations designed to bankrupt the Reich and cede huge swaths of territories to its neighbors, but still, my original post was about how the post war Roman government would deal with the consequences of Tabula Rasa, not how the rest of the world would treat the Reich. I still think that both Germans that benefited from Jerusalem’s rule, relatively speaking, and minorities the Commitee persecuted would hate the post Jerusalem government no matter what and might frequently rebel against any Roman government. For example, I don‘t think muslims would ever forgive Romans for the destruction of the Kaaba, I know I wouldn’t if I lived in this universe.
Yes, I was also trying to say the rest of the world, in such a scenario, would have a vested interest in keeping the racial, national, ethnic, and religious animosity between the cultures of the Reich in their present state, if not exploiting them as much as if not more than Jerusalem did. Perhaps one of the ways they would do this is by keeping the central government weak, ineffective, unpopular, and unrepresentative, so that various groups would see it as either a foreign puppet or controlled by another group. The central government might be ill-prepared or equipped to deal with such insurgencies due to a lack of public support, a completely destroyed economy, and reparations/restrictions imposed by the rest of the world. Tabula Rasa might be something that never heals.

Reactions:
Yes, I was also trying to say the rest of the world, in such a scenario, would have a vested interest in keeping the racial, national, ethnic, and religious animosity between the cultures of the Reich in their present state, if not exploiting them as much as if not more than Jerusalem did. Perhaps one of the ways they would do this is by keeping the central government weak, ineffective, unpopular, and unrepresentative, so that various groups would see it as either a foreign puppet or controlled by another group. The central government might be ill-prepared or equipped to deal with such insurgencies due to a lack of public support, a completely destroyed economy, and reparations/restrictions imposed by the rest of the world. Tabula Rasa might be something that never heals.
I could see them taking it one step further and outright selling weapons and equipment to the insurgents, profiting off the conflicts and getting the financial windfall needed to help them recover economically from the war. Neo-colonialism is awful, but I could see the rest of the world resorting to it in order to help themselves rebuild economically and socially, and who better to do it to in their eyes than the nation that caused all that suffering and devastation in the first place, essentially turning the Reich into a piggy bank they can break to vent out their traumas and help them rebuild their own countries.

I could see them taking it one step further and outright selling weapons and equipment to the insurgents, profiting off the conflicts and getting the financial windfall needed to help them recover economically from the war. Neo-colonialism is awful, but I could see the rest of the world resorting to it in order to help themselves rebuild economically and socially, and who better to do it to in their eyes than the nation that caused all that suffering and devastation in the first place, essentially turning the Reich into a piggy bank they can break to vent out their traumas and help them rebuild their own countries.
I could particularly see Han doing this if he’s still in power. He’s already done it with the government in exile, so what’s a little war profiteering to keep his oldest enemy and convenient bogeyman from becoming a genuine threat again?

Catch a Tiger by the Toe

Vilnius - February 26

“You wanted this, Jerusalem?” Boris Bradziunas said to the camera. “You wanted to help us? To not let us fall? You see it like that, people of Jerusalem? The cries of our children and seniors? Is that your passion?! Do you dream about our families tears? We’ve been forced to leave our homes, which have been destroyed by your bullets and bombs. Our cities have become tombs. Do you dream about all this?

“Here me all, anybody who is listening from deep in Jerusalem. I am speaking in German right now. Even though I am Lithuanian, I have not been banned from speaking German, nor was I persecuted for being from Aegyptus. What did you think? That I was suppressed? Ask yourself, how does that even make sense when I’m the chancellor?! What have your leaders been feeding you?

“We are being fed bullets, terror, and death. Your leaders call this salvation. How in any religion is this madness a salvation?! People are dying in horrible ways every day? Do they all deserve it? See for yourself with your own eyes what this war has caused! Please, I know there are still good people in Jerusalem who won’t stand for this. To those people, I urge you to speak up. Don’t be scared. We got into this mess because people were too scared to call out the crazies for their šūdas, and we can get out of it by no longer being scared. While our children scream and die from the bombs and gas and germs, please, we can at least take solace in the hope that some of you will speak out and rise up. We really need you and your courage so much. Livonia and the free world both need it.

“To the so-called Regency waging this war. Why wage this war? You say you want to save our souls. Yet what you’ve done is slaughter our people like animals and permanently separate our families. Mothers wait for their sons and wives for their husbands, if they themselves are not also on the front. Really, after decades of helping to build our nation after we shook off the Soviet yoke, you decide to treat us like this?!

“Tell your friends, tell your family! Tell everyone you can! The world is hanging on the edge of a knife. Humanity lies at a crossroads and must choose a path soon. The path we choose will decide where we go and who we are as a species and civilization. Do we want to take the path of light and peace, or the one of darkness and chaos? While your Crusaders are destroying our homes, please don’t be silent! Don’t let us all be wiped out!

“And with all these thoughts, and the enemy closing in around me, I again tell you, good people of the former Reich, to wake up! Wake up and realize the shackles the committee has placed you in. Wake up and break the chains, then take back your country and end this terrible war! Wake up!”

The recording stopped. “Did we get all that?”

“Yes, sir.” Kowalski nodded.

“Good,” Boris said, “Broadcast it to Jerusalem as soon as you can.”

“Sir, if I may…the tone of that speech…”

“I know, it’s inflammatory and coarse, unlike my previous ones. But I do think it’s necessary. Livonia is in a precarious state, and we need to hit back with everything we have.”

“Surely this would invite retaliation, wouldn’t it?” Kowalski asked.

Boris shook his head. “Don’t worry. As long as we have Tiger’s Defense, we’ll be fine. Livonia’s lasted this long thanks to Tiger’s Defense, hasn’t it?”

Tiger’s Defense headquarters - February 27

Kowalski regained consciousness. It felt like he had been out for hours, but his mind soon caught up with him, and he realized it had only been a few seconds. In that time, the entire room around him had completely changed. All of the computer terminals had been destroyed, their desks shattered into pieces. Most of the place was on fire. The bodies of his colleagues lay scattered all over the floor. Sunlight streamed in from above, even though they were several levels underground.

Bunker-buster. Had to have been. Direct hit on top of us. Which means they also took out the anti-aircraft guns. Which means…oh no.

He stumbled down the hallway, stepping over more bodies and rubble. The faint cry of a distant and useless alarm rang over the crackling flames. His feet moved on muscle memory built up over many years of working in this facility, finding the right turns and doors to go through even though the hallways and doorways were little more than gaping holes.

Eventually, he reached his destination. His hand instinctively reached for a doorknob, but there was no door, or doorway, or even a wall, or even a room. All he saw instead of the main servers of Tiger’s Defense was a pile of rubble and some scattered fragments of circuits, processors, and wires.

“Oh…kurwa…”

Vilnius - March 1

“…and that’s the latest update on evacuations,” Kowalski said, “His Majesty has already left the city, as did your cabinet. Your car’s ready for you.”

Boris stared out the window, watching as bombs fell closer and closer to palace. The main servers contained most of Livonia’s most effective cyberwarfare tools. Even though there were backup servers and operations centers throughout Livonia, they would not have the reach and effectiveness of the main servers. Without Tiger’s Defense to hold them back, Jerusalem’s cyberwarriors and their tools came out with full force to aid von Haynau’s assault. His remaining Land Force units struggled to hold the line.

Amazing how one agency and its cyberwarfare tools was the one thing propping up Livonia in this war. Everyone else in Europe has long since surrendered. But we held out for so long against the odds. Now that our ace in the hole’s gone, I doubt we’ll last much longer.

“If it’s any solace, sir,” Kowalski said, “We executed the spy who gave the servers’ location to Jerusalem.”

“Fat load of good that does now. We lost Riga yesterday and are about to lose Vilnius. It’s all my fault.”

“Your fault?”

Boris held up the camera from a few days ago. “My speech to Jerusalem. We used Tiger’s Defense to break the firewalls. I should’ve seen it coming. I goaded them into seeking out our servers. Now they’ve destroyed Tiger’s Defense, and what did we get out of it? We added one more narrative and possible truth to the thousands being disseminated and consumed inside Jerusalem. I doubt they even noticed. I was an idiot.”

“You couldn’t have known, sir,” Kowalski said.

“They always say that.” Boris scoffed. “You couldn’t have known it would happen. You were only doing what you thought was right. But I’m the chancellor, and I’m responsible for my nation and people. I’m supposed to know this could have happened. I’m supposed to have planned for it. I’m supposed to have behaved in such a way as to not cause this. Because I didn’t, we lost hundreds of soldiers and are about to lose our capital.”

“If anyone should take the fall, it should be me, not you,” Kowalski said, “I was in charge.”

“If you want to resign or something, I’m not going to accept it,” Boris said, “I need everyone we can get at this point.”

“Same goes for you, sir. We won’t allow you to beat yourself up over this. It happened. We don’t have Tiger’s Defense. But we are still in this fight. And we need leaders like you.”

Boris continued looking out the window, watching as enemy artillery flattened nearby city blocks. The enemy was close.

“The Livonian Commonwealth didn’t begin and end with Tiger’s Defense. We’ve done the impossible without it before. Giedre did what she did four hundred years ago without any fancy computers. We can still turn this around.”

Boris’ attention turned to his rifle, propped up against the desk. Seeing the old gun Olga gifted him got Kowalski’ swords across to him.

“Yes…perhaps I relied too much on Tiger’s Defense and forgot about what made our country different from others,” he said, “The peoples of the Baltics are proud of their heritage and refuse to be subsumed into their larger neighbors. They’d rather die fighting than surrender to anyone seeking to destroy their way of life. That’s the mentality that put the old Commonwealth on par with the Reich. And if the gods are willing, we can stand up to Jerusalem the same way, even without our computers.”

He picked up his rifle. “Alright, Kowalski, lead the way. I’m ready to go.”

“Of course, sir,” Kowalski said, “The car’s waiting outside. Let’s get out of here.”

Several hours later

General Engelbert von Haynau, commander of the Crusaders in the Baltic theater, strolled into Boris’s old office. His eyes wandered all over the office’s 17th century decorations before landing on the chancellor’s chair, which was still behind Boris’ desk. It did not seem like the chancellor had left in a hurry, although he had clearly been thorough, as the desk and file cabinets were all empty.

I could get used to working out of here. That tent of mine’s so uncomfortable.

An aide ran up to Haynau. “Sir, the district’s been fully secured. We’ve raised the flag of Jerusalem over all of the major landmarks. The city’s as good as ours.”

“Excellent,” Haynau said, “About time this blasted hellhole fell to our glorious army. Have you located Bradziunas yet?”

“No, but we’re working on it. He couldn’t have gotten far.”

“Well, find him. The committee is offering a huge bounty for his live capture. I intend to collect on it.”

“Understood, sir. How would you want to go about doing so?”

Haynau smiled madly. “By eliminating all of his potential hiding spots and killing the citizens he cares about so much. I want Vilnius completely razed to the ground.”

---

Yeah, I didn’t know how to show the actual attack, so I just picked up right after it. I don't know what I was thinking with that title but it was the only thing I could think of that involved tigers.

Boris’ speech was inspired by some Ukrainian plea for Russia to end the war. I don’t remember who said it. Could’ve just been a random Reddit post whose words stuck with me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah, I didn’t know how to show the actual attack, so I just picked up right after it. I don't know what I was thinking with that title but it was the only thing I could think of that involved tigers.
Shame about that, as jumping from Boris' speech to Tiger Defense suddenly being destroyed and Vilnius falling is a little jarring, but it's not that big of a deal since the attack will probably have more detail in the gameplay chapter and this is still good update, especially with Boris' speech. Curios to see how the gameplay update will portray the fall of Livonia, as I'm sure Konstantinov feels guilty about not protecting it from Haynau. Can't wait to see Konstantinov to defeat Haynau, especially since the gameplay chapters seem to present Haynau as Konstantinov dark mirror in asymmetrical warfare.