The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One I idea that I thought of if this unified Japan remains a dictatorship you could use modern Chinas history like after the current one dies one like Deng Xiaoping could take his place? The chose that because although Deng was not in favor of democracy (Tiananmen Square is a good example of that) he did allow many Chinese people to return to a "normal life".
I'm still planning a Japan arc, so I can't say what will happen to Japan yet, aside from a gameplay retcon that will pop up in one of the coming chapters (or not, I may have simply ignored it entirely).
It is interesting that you named the update "Modern Warfare" and later this month on the 28th is when the Modern Warfare II reboot comes out.
I didn't know that. Haven't been involved with CoD since Black Ops 2 and probably won't go back.
Speaking of call of duty I can also see Samir becoming TTL's Captain Price.
He could.
Indoctrination is a heck of a drug.
Ironic, because the Persians have in a way been convinced to hate the enemy the same way.
How are they still able to use tablets if the satellites are dead? Are they just using feedback from a drone?
Ground-based wireless networks or aerial drones. These have much smaller range than satellites.
To be fair that code has been trampled on more times throughout history both in OTL and TTL both before and after it was created.
Yes. Including once (technically) by Samir.
I am for lack of a better word glad that you are showing the crimes being committed on the Heroes' side as well. In a lot of stories both in movies and video games the crime's of the "Good Guys" are often swept under the rug in favor of those committed by the "Bad Guys". Even if those crimes are more numerus it dose not make those crimes committed by the other side any less horrific.
Yes, I didn't want to overlook this side of the war. Another reason why there are no winners in war.
Also I was reading some of the conversations about Persia and how it re-converts back to Zoroastrianism and I know you want to keep the major changes to the 1066 POD but as I was looking at the different branches in CK3 I found one called the Khurramites. They were a group of Zoroastrians lead by Babak Khorramdin against the Abbasid Caliphate in the 800's until he was betrayed in 838. Mabey in TTL Khorramdin would go on to support the Seljuk's when they arrive or he could just be seen as a heroic leader in the fight against Islam?
The earliest recorded Seljuk (by the name of Seljuk) died around the beginning of the 11th century and was likely born around the beginning of the 10th, so he would have been separated from Khorramdin by at least 70 years.

Haven't been involved with CoD since Black Ops 2 and probably won't go back.
That's fair. In most YouTube comments about CoD many other people say they stopped after Black Ops 2 so you are not alone. For me it is just something I watch since there is one person that has been doing a Road to Max Rank series for every CoD since Black Ops 3 but never play. Manly because I am terrible FPS games that are not story driven like Wolfenstein and Mass Effect. Other then those story types of FPS games and RPG's like the Witcher trilogy and strategy games like the ones made by Paradox are the only types of games I play.

Yes, I didn't want to overlook this side of the war. Another reason why there are no winners in war.
That is true. One of the few times the crimes of the "Good Guys" is shown in tv was in one of my favorite old TV Shows MASH a show during the Korean War. More specifically following a fictional Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) called the 4077th. In one of the episodes there is a American bomber pilot who is oblivious to what he is actually doing. Then when a six year old Korean girl is brought into surgery one of the main character's Capt. Pierce played by Alan Alda (whose character and most of the main characters were also drafted) shows' the pilot and tells him she was bombed. When the pilot askes if it is "one of ours or theirs" Pierce tells him it wont mater to her making the pilot realize what there is no such thing as "a clean war.". It is even more powerful when you think that the pilot is not even racist and only oblivious to what is going on down on the ground.

The earliest recorded Seljuk (by the name of Seljuk) died around the beginning of the 11th century and was likely born around the beginning of the 10th, so he would have been separated from Khorramdin by at least 70 years.
Yea. If anything maybe Khorramdin is remembered in Persia as a defender against Islam then?

Last edited:
In-game, I think I converted all of the remaining Slavic pagans within the Reich to Christianity. In-universe, the western Slavs and Hungarian pagans could have chosen between Christianity or fleeing to Russia. I did remember how OTL Lothar's personal domain in Brandenburg was full of pagans. It was the reason he was a Margrave and ruled a march, to provide a bulwark against pagan raids. After 1066, Friedrich's expansions eastward served to eliminate the need for a march of Brandenburg and make it a viable candidate for a fixed capital free of the established power structures of the HRE cities (since the HRE did not have a fixed capital until later in the medieval era) and Constantinople. I also remember the Norse, Slavs, and Balts declaring multiple pagan crusades against me specifically for Germany, so there definitely was pagan resistance to Friedrich's early rule.

As for Balkan pagans, they probably were largely Christianized by the 11th century as I think the game map for the Balkans in 1066 is fully Christian.

My notes currently mention King Solomon as being an ally of Friedrich. Solomon married Heinrich's sister, so there would be significant ties with the HRE. Friedrich would then help fight Solomon's rivals in exchange for integration into the emerging Reich.
Talking about Hungary and the Western Slavs here made me realize that the alternate Hohenzollernverse timeline Wilhelm came from had a union of Hungarian, Slavic and Baltic pagans that seemed like a major rival to the Reich over there, so I wonder if that was one of the empires that the Worm Cult took over and used to help bring about the downfall of that timeline? Perhaps Wilhelm and Friedrich made sure to prevent this empire’s formation before it became a threat to the Reich, only for convergence theory to produce a similar, albeit slightly weaker polity during EU4 in the from of the Lithuian-Rutherian Commonwealth.

Also, if Slavic Pagans in the Reich were given the option to go into exile in Russia, I wonder if the same was true vice versa with Russian Christians?

Last edited:
Talking about Hungary and Western Slavs here made me realize that in the alternate Hohenzollernverse timeline Wilhelm came from had a union of Hungarian, Slavic and Baltic pagans that seemed like a major rival of the Reich over there, so if that was one of the empires that the Worm Cult took over and brought about the downfall of that timeline? Perhaps Wilhelm made sure to destroy that rival before it emerged in this timeline, only for convergence theory to produce a similar, albeit slightly weaker polity during EU4 in the from of the Lithuian-Rutherian Commonwealth?
After thinking about mods like Führerreich a world in were Germany lost the war but from the Kaiserreich perspective or The Red Order: First Days Of Eurasia a planed mod in were the Allies win the Second World War told by someone in the TNO Universe I have wondered what someone in the Reich during the early 2000's would view the world if the Reich never reunited in 1105? Would it be similar to TTL's Years of Noodles and Spices story that Zen did or would it be similar to ours but with a few changes like Führerreich?

That's fair. In most YouTube comments about CoD many other people say they stopped after Black Ops 2 so you are not alone. For me it is just something I watch since there is one person that has been doing a Road to Max Rank series for every CoD since Black Ops 3 but never play. Manly because I am terrible FPS games that are not story driven like Wolfenstein and Mass Effect. Other then those story types of FPS games and RPG's like the Witcher trilogy and strategy games like the ones made by Paradox are the only types of games I play.
Even when I was playing CoD I was primarily interested in the singleplayer campaign, particularly the MW trilogy's story with Price and Soap and the others. I was never good at shooter games and only played multiplayer with friends. The closest I've gotten to a shooter game recently is Valkyria Chronicles, which is a tactical turn-based RPG but when you select a unit to move it becomes like a third person shooter. RPGs suit me much better, though I've mainly stuck to JRPGs.
That is true. One of the few times the crimes of the "Good Guys" is shown in tv was in one of my favorite old TV Shows MASH a show during the Korean War. More specifically following a fictional Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) called the 4077th. In one of the episodes there is a American bomber pilot who is oblivious to what he is actually doing. Then when a six year old Korean girl is brought into surgery one of the main character's Capt. Pierce played by Alan Alda (whose character and most of the main characters were also drafted) shows' the pilot and tells him she was bombed. When the pilot askes if it is "one of ours or theirs" Pierce tells him it wont mater to her making the pilot realize what there is no such thing as "a clean war.". It is even more powerful when you think that the pilot is not even racist and only oblivious to what is going on down on the ground.
I've heard of MASH before (and know Alan Alda from West Wing). Might check it out at some point.
Yea. If anything maybe Khorramdin is remembered in Persia as a defender against Islam then?
No, he was too obscure even in his own time, I feel. And remember, Alp Arslan and his successors wanted a middle ground between Zoroastrianism and Islam so as to not undermine their political legitimacy, since even though there were still substantial Zoroastrian communities in 11th century Persia much of the general population and ruling class had been Islamicized. In the chapter after the next one, I'm going to talk a little about Alp Arslan's compromise and when and why it was dropped in favor of full Zoroastrianism (spoiler for the when: about 500 years after the Pagan Resurgence).
Talking about Hungary and the Western Slavs here made me realize that the alternate Hohenzollernverse timeline Wilhelm came from had a union of Hungarian, Slavic and Baltic pagans that seemed like a major rival to the Reich over there, so I wonder if that was one of the empires that the Worm Cult took over and used to help bring about the downfall of that timeline? Perhaps Wilhelm and Friedrich made sure to prevent this empire’s formation before it became a threat to the Reich, only for convergence theory to produce a similar, albeit slightly weaker polity during EU4 in the from of the Lithuian-Rutherian Commonwealth.
That might be possible, but I haven't thought about that alternate timeline too much. It's really only there to set the stakes for the fight against the Worm and provide backstory for Wilhelm as well as integrate that CK2 chapter from way back when into the modern canon.
Also, if Slavic Pagans in the Reich were given the option to go into exile in Russia, I wonder if the same was true vice versa with Russian Christians?
Most likely, which would explain why there are a lot of Russians in Taurica and might provide an explanation for why the Reich took over the region. Still would have to explain why the Reich didn't just launch a crusade against the pagans, since that happened in real life Eastern Europe multiple times.
After thinking about mods like Führerreich a world in were Germany lost the war but from the Kaiserreich perspective or The Red Order: First Days Of Eurasia a planed mod in were the Allies win the Second World War told by someone in the TNO Universe I have wondered what someone in the Reich during the early 2000's would view the world if the Reich never reunited in 1105? Would it be similar to TTL's Years of Noodles and Spices story that Zen did or would it be similar to ours but with a few changes like Führerreich?
If we ignore the (admittedly contrived) concept of convergence which is only known to some angels and the presence of the Worm, a point of divergence in the 11th-12th centuries where the Reich never existed would change so much that it would not only be impossible to predict what would happen, but so many equally possible hypotheticals could happen as well. It really depends on what happens in the second half of the 11th century. Was there still a Pagan Resurgence? Still a Friedrich the Great? Would Alexios and his allies still pursue Reich-like goals? Would Heinrich beat out the Pope in the Controversy? Would the Schism be mended? Would there still be a Sunset Invasion, and if so, would it succeed or last longer? It's not like with a double blind what if of World War II where it's easy to come up with a premise (in a world where the Nazis won, the DBWI is about a world where they lost).

what I'm saying is it would be like an unscripted AI only game of Crusader Kings

In the chapter after the next one, I'm going to talk a little about Alp Arslan's compromise and when and why it was dropped in favor of full Zoroastrianism (spoiler for the when: about 500 years after the Pagan Resurgence).
I wonder if Persia adopting full Zoroastrianism and persecuting Muslims would have something to do with Prince Saltuk, previously mentioned in this arc in the Bloody Tuesday update "New Blood", given what he did to Baghdad when the Persians captured it in the 16th century?

Last edited:
I wonder if Persia adopting full Zoroastrianism and persecuting Muslims would have something to do with Prince Saltuk, previously mentioned in this arc in the Bloody Tuesday update "New Blood", given what he did to Baghdad when the Persians captured it in the 16th century?
Yes, it actually does, though not directly.

Promises

Isfahan - February 18

“And…we’re live.”

Wilhelmina looked straight at the red light above the camera lens. She tried her best to not focus on her fidgeting feet and sweaty palms. Even in her late fifties, she was still very camera shy.

“Good afternoon. This is Wilhelmina, Kaiserin of the Romans. To all those listening, I’m speaking today to—to provide an update on the war. Peace negotiations led by the Persian government and the Roman government in exile remain ongoing.” “Ultimatum” is more accurate. “Although it is my wish that the committee in Berlin sees reason and agrees to discuss terms—” There are no terms. I straight up demanded Jerusalem’s unconditional surrender, because Jerusalem only responds to force. We used the terms outlined in Srivijaya’s ultimatum from a couple months ago. “—it is important that we keep ourselves grounded in reality. I regretfully inform you that there has been no change in the diplomatic situation whatsoever, and it is almost certain that this war will drag on for many months to come.” Until the Artesh marches through Constantinople and raises the lion and sun flag over Blachernae Palace, at the very least.

“But none of this is an excuse to give up and lose hope. We can still win this war. This month, we have made significant progress towards that end. In Mesopotamia, Operation Huma has captured the city of Kirkuk and is now marching on the provincial capital of Baghdad. Lev Konstantinov and his brave Russian troops still persist in Livonia. Jersualem’s crimes in Taurica are slowly being brought to light, and its victims there have been freed. In the Pacific, our courageous Ryukyuan friends are prepared to take on the combined might of the Tianxia Alliance to protect the last bastion of hope and freedom on the other side of the world. Now all that remains is for all of us to do our part.” Which ties into the other PSAs about quarantines and vaccinations. We still don’t have the Pesah-specific vaccine ready, so we’re rolling out old smallpox vaccines as a temporary measure. I hope it’s enough. Pesah is already spreading like wildfire in Afghanistan and eastern Persia, despite our best efforts.

“This is a war for the very soul of humanity.” Sounds weird to say that, after hearing both the committee and Han use the same phrase over and over again. “I am not exaggerating. Whoever wins this war will decide the path humanity takes for generations to come. We are all aware of Jerusalem’s plans for world domination, a single totalitarian theocracy trampling all of humanity under its boot. They must be opposed. But must the only other option be China? An equally totalitarian dictatorship which believes in the inherent superiority of the Chinese nation and its people? A Chinese victory in this war would mean all of the planet would be in thrall to the whims of Han Xianyu. The boot stomping on humanity’s face would simply be worn by someone else. And to that, I say we must reject both of them.” Getting bad flashbacks to that stupid LKR guy who kept derailing my UN appearances. “There is another way. Jerusalem and China consider us to be mere battlefields for a greater struggle between them, but we who reject both dictatorships are much more than that. Persia, Turkestan, Afghanistan, Yavdi, India, Ryukyu, Hawaii, the Eimericas—we are a third way forward for humanity. We stand for something other than despair and fear and hatred. We stand for hope.”

Wilhelmina let some of her inner self out for this next part. “Yes, I know that sounds cheesy. I mean, who says that outside of a movie or video game? ‘I stand for hope and justice against the forces of darkness within darkness!’” Sounds like something Uncle Horst would have said. “But I’m serious about it. Jerusalem is a regime built on fear and cynicism. Fear of stepping out of line, and cynicism that nothing will ever get better. Han’s China is built on arrogance and despair. Arrogance in the superiority of the Chinese people and a culture of despair that considers alternatives to Han’s way unacceptable, where everyone living outside of China is seen as worse off than those inside China. Both are built on hatred for those who do not belong within their society. In Jerusalem, we’ve seen time and again how they treat those they deem undesirable. In China, Han has cultivated a cult of hatred for all those who stand against him. He positions himself as a leader of humanity, but don’t be decived by his lies. All he wants is a blank check to deliver the final blow to global freedom so he can rebuild the world in his image. I’m not going to stand for it, and neither should you.”

“We who fight against both sides stand for hope. We reject the fear and cynicism of Jerusalem. We do not fear the uncertain future before us, nor do we fear the unknown other. We don’t look upon life with cynicism and apathy but instead work together so we can build a future of our choosing. We reject the arrogance and despair of China. We do not seek to elevate anyone above any other. I do not intend to become ruler of the world, and neither do the people of Persia. We refuse to give in to despair, as both sides would want us to do. Even as the odds remain heavily stacked against us, we will fight on, because this is the time for all of us to take a stand against injustice. Most importantly, we reject the hatred of both sides. Hate may be a primal instinct from the earliest days of our species, but so is love. Humans are, frankly, weak creatures. On our own we don’t really have much going for us. Fear allowed us to escape predators on our own, but it alone wasn’t what made us who we are today. In a way, paradoxically, it was our weakness that ensured our survival, because it led us to reach out to one another. To trust one another. To love and to rely on each other. Alone, we can only go so far. But together, I say our potential is almost limitless.

“In the Bible, Christ always told us to love your neighbor—something Jerusalem, despite claiming to be a Christian nation, has forgotten. Roman history is a testament to the power of—” Don’t you dare say it! “—solidarity and trust.” Thank goodness you didn’t blurt out “the power of friendship!” on live TV. “Friedrich the Great was born into a world of strife, plagued by war and division. Against the odds, he chose to fight for a better world. One in which Europe would no longer be at war with itself. One where all of its people would walk towards the future, hand in hand. He had faith in what humanity was capable of, if only it worked together. Jerusalem may have callously discarded all of his ideals in service of their crusade of evil, but we have not. The dream of Romanitas is not only the dream of the Roman people, but the birthright of all humanity, an inalienable aspiration if not right shared by all of our species. We shouldn’t be ridiculed and hated for wanting to do better. We shouldn’t be ashamed for refusing to accept the present as it is. We shouldn’t be called out of touch for not dogmatically clinging on to the past. We can and should do better. Even if the future remains uncertain, that’s no excuse to keep things as they are. That was what got us into this mess, that fear and pessimism. Time will keep moving on even if we bury our heads in the sand. We might pretend nothing has changed, but in reality we’ll just fall behind and be consumed by Jerusalem and China. So there’s no choice but to push on and move forward.

“I know how hard it is to take the first step. Believe me, it’s absolutely terrifying to step outside of your comfort zone. But if I hadn’t taken that step, I wouldn’t be here today. I wouldn’t be the person I am today. If I can do it, so can you. These are trying times for all of us, but we can get through this. All we have to do is trust in ourselves and in each other. No amount of bombs or missiles or bullets from both Jerusalem and China can stop us when we work as one. So please, I ask everyone who wants to live in a world free from tyranny and hatred. Reach out to each other. Trust one another. And when you do…

“Take the first step.”

After the broadcast, Wilhelmina quickly left the newsroom, needing to make it to the next event on her schedule. One of the reporters ran after her, her microphone out like a gun. “Ma’am, can you clarify what you mean by—”

“Sorry.” Wilhelmina cut her off and kept walking. “I have a busy schedule. Ask me tomorrow.”

More reporters swarmed her in the hallway. But this batch wasn’t as nice as the first one.

“Your Highness, do you have any comments regarding the allegations of war crimes in Mesopotamia?”

“Do you have anything to say regarding the Artesh’s conduct?”

“What are your thoughts on the rumors of an impending Jerusalemite invasion?”

“Have you responded to Han Xianyu’s allegations about Operation Huma?”

“How do you live with yourself after everything you ordered your troops to do?”

“Do you feel ashamed for what you’re doing?”

“How are you any different from Jerusalem?”

“Were you lying when you said you didn’t want to be like your uncle?”

“Have you ever considered how many Persian tax dinars are spent to maintain your lifestyle?”

“When are you leaving Persia?”

“The Persian people must overthrow the Roman yoke!”

After everything I’ve done for them so far…Wilhelmina clenched her fists and opened her mouth, but she felt Sophie’s hand on her shoulder. “Don’t, Willie. You’re only going to make it worse.”

“The frak am I supposed to do then, take it?” Wilhelmina whispered through gritted teeth.

“Unfortunately, yes.”

“Again?!” Like I did when Mom and Dad died? Or when the committee took over?

“I know how you feel, but this isn’t the time to lash out.”

“I need to defend myself! Explain myself!”

“You know they won’t listen. They’re scared. They’ve seen what horrors our people are capable of. As Kaiserin, you’re the embodiment of all things Roman. You not only represent the people, but the people represent you in turn.”

“I don’t get it.”

“You are an example to all Romans, but you are also a convenient example for all Romans. Just as you set the standard of what they can do, what they actually do reflects on you. So if the perception of Romans is as bloodthirsty war criminals, then naturally others will see you as such.”

“Did you ever have to deal with this when you were alive?”

“Oh, plenty. I remember having to go around every single province trying to apologize for what Bethune did. Ended up having to stop after a few of the European provinces because it got so bad I almost died.”

“Well, you did die in the end.”

“We all die. And for the record, my death was completely unrelated to the provincial tour. But that’s another story.”

Wilhelmina left the building, ignored the dozens more reporters shouting various questions and accusations outside, and got in a waiting motorcade, and drove off. “This really put me in a bad mood. Today of all days…”

“I’m sorry,” Sophie said.

“It’s not every day you can celebrate something, no matter how small. I just want a little peace, even if it’s for one day.”

“I know the feeling. Being on the run and then on the battlefield for so long, I was grateful if I could have even a single day to just sit down, put Enonon down, and relax. But I can count the number of such days on one hand.”

“I hope I’m not as unfortunate.”

“Me too. Me too.”

They returned to the palace. As soon as they passed through the front gates, Wilhelmina remembered something. “Hey, Herr Driver, did you pick up the package I requested?”

“Yes, ma’am, it’s in the trunk. I made sure to drive carefully.”

As soon as the car pulled up to the curb, Wilhelmina got out and opened the trunk. Inside was a moderately sized paper box. She picked it up and felt it. “Good enough, at least by my standards. Not sure about him, though.”

“In my day, we couldn’t afford to be picky.”

“Yeah, well, these aren’t your times anymore.”

“I’m pretty sure ‘don’t be picky’ is a timeless lesson that still applies, unless society has really gone downhill and you’re not telling me.”

“When have I ever kept secrets about the world from you?”

“…like always?”

“Because you never asked!”

“Did I need to ask? I assumed you’d bring it up at some point.”

“It’s kind of hard when you’re a force ghost or something that pops in and out whenever she feels like it.”

“A force what?”

Wilhelmina shook her head. “Never mind. You wouldn’t get it. Let’s go.”

They went inside. She didn’t get very far before Gunduz accosted her in one of the hallways. “You’re late. They were starting to ask questions.”

Wilhelmina sighed and rolled her eyes. “You too?”

“What was it, the camera crew pissed you off with their cues—no, I don’t think that’s it. It’s the press again, right?”

“I almost forgot what it was like to interact with paparazzi,” Wilhelmina said. A really weird thing to say. They were indirectly responsible for Mom and Dad’s deaths. I know Sentinel was behind the whole thing, but they just stood there and took pictures while Mom bled out and Dad’s body grew cold.

Gunduz immediately noticed her eyes growing distant and inattentive. “If it means anything, I would’ve punched the nearest heckler’s nose clean off.”

Wilhelmina chucked. “You can try.” Gunduz can barely throw a punch, for all her bluster.

“Remember what I told you, Willie. Don’t give a frak about their hateful words. Keep being who you are.”

“By saying nothing and leaving?”

“That’s just politics. Sometimes it’s the right time to let loose, other times it isn’t. Even I know when to restrain myself.”

“Imagine that, Gunduz the Blunt having her limits.” She turned to Sophie and made a subtle face. A contradiction or what?

“Did you not hear her?” Sophie replied. “We said the same thing. There is a proper time to fight back. You’d only have made a fool of yourself, the Roman government in exile, and the Roman people.”

Gunduz, of course, did not hear Sophie. She put her hands on her hips. “Of course I have my limits! And I’m really close to reaching it right now.”

“Right now?” Wilhelmina raised an eyebrow. “Here?”

“We’re three hallways away, it should be fine. Speaking of which, enough chitchat. The package will melt.”

Wilhelmina almost forgot she was still holding the package. For a moment, she thought she felt it getting a little damp. “You’re right. Let’s be off.”

They went down the hallways and finally arrived in front of a large wooden door engraved with beautiful geometric patterns. Normally, this would be just one more reception room for receiving Gunduz’s guests, but today…

“Ready?” Gunduz asked.

“Do you even need to ask?”

“It’s just that…after earlier…”

“It’s fine, Gunduz, if anything this is exactly what I need.”

Gunduz nodded. “Alright then. On the count of three. One, two…three!”

She threw open the doors, and Wilhelmina strode in. As the impatient children inside cheered and gathered around her, she set the package down on the table and opened it, revealing the cake inside. “Happy birthday, Friedrich!” She looked at her grandson.

Friedrich’s face lit up with pure joy. “Thanks, Grandma!”

Just as she hoped, seeing that smile on Friedrich’s face and the happiness in his voice was enough to banish the negativity from earlier, at least for now. No amount of accusations and enemy propaganda could stop her from dedicating today to her grandson.

Friedrich’s been through so much in his six years. Being forced to leave his home, losing his parents, watching his dad and grandpa die in front of him, almost dying there, and then barely avoiding getting abducted at his schools here in Isfahan…he’s gone through so much that no kid his age should have to experience. I feel like I let him down, in a way. On the day he was born, I promised him I’d make sure he grow up in a world more peaceful than the one I grew up in. That seems increasingly unlikely the longer this war drags on. But that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try. If it means putting smiles on the faces of Friedrich and his friends—she looked around, taking in everyone’s smiles—then I’ll do what what I can to bring back peace.

Gunduz started lighting the candles, six in all, while fending off the eager kids—probably school friends, Wilhelmina couldn’t remember their names—with a free hand. At one point, Ilyana suddenly appeared on top of a chair. Before Wilhelmina could pull her down, she belted out, “Start the song!”

All of the children broke out into song, led by a very loud Ilyana. “It's great that you were born, otherwise we would have missed you very much. It's great that we're together…we congratulate you, birthday boy!”

Friedrich blew out the candles, and the children cheered. Wilhelmina and Gunduz clapped. “Yeah!” Gunduz added.

I’ve never seen Gunduz so happy before, at least in the last few months. The last time I saw her with a face like that…we had just gotten FF7 delivered to the palace, straight from the devs. They really went all-out with the promotion for that game. How much money did they spend to send an advance copy to two princesses?

Ilyana lightly poked Friedrich’s nose and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. “Happy birthday, Ricky!”

“Gee, uh…thanks, Ilyana.” Friedrich blushed.

Some of the other kids in the group giggled.

“What are you laughing about?!” Ilyana said. “You saw nothing!”

Wilhelmina clearly saw the girl was blushing as well, even though she was trying to hide it. She laughed. “What I’d give to relive my childhood. I remember when I was just like them.”

“Me too,” Gunduz said, “But again, those days are over. We can’t stay in the past or present forever.”

“Of course. We have to keep moving forward, even if the future is scary and unknown. But…why don’t we just slow down for today?”

“Huh?”

Wilhelmina watched Friedrich, Ilyana, and their friends divide the cake up among themselves.

“Why don’t we just take today as it is? Put aside the plans for the future until tomorrow.”

“Of course,” Gunduz said, “It’s his birthday, after all.”

“Glad to hear it.” Wilhelmina smiled. “Hopefully, he’ll celebrate more birthdays to come, all equally joyful. And if we do our jobs right, they’ll be celebrated in a world at peace again.”

Like I promised him.

• 4Like
Reactions:
A good speech, a better moment with loved ones. The press is always stressful, but she's doing a lot better with her recent PR than her competition.

A good speech, a better moment with loved ones. The press is always stressful, but she's doing a lot better with her recent PR than her competition.
That's not exactly a high bar to clear at this point.:p

• 1Haha
Reactions:
A good update for Wilhelmina's character. I know the Roman monarchy and nation have been tainted by the Committee's imperialism and Wilhelm Karl's perceived tyranny, but it still sucks to see Wilhelmina get treated like that, but it's still good to see her still fighting for what's right. As for the end of the update, I must say little Fredrich has been through a lot, arguably more than what Otto and Fredrich the Glorious went through as kids at this point. Then again, at least this Fredrich gets to have a childhood, unlike the other two who became Kaisers at a young age.

I'm really curios to see what you've got planned for Sophie/Sophia in the Definitive edition, since I remember you saying you might expand on her reign later on. I must say that provincial tour sounds interesting, kinda reminds me of Ferdinand's tour before WW1 back in Vicky 2.

Last edited:
A good update for Wilhelmina's character. I know the Roman monarchy and nation have been tainted by the Committee's imperialism and Wilhelm Karl's perceived tyranny, but it still sucks to see Wilhelmina get treated like that, but it's still good to see her still fighting for what's right. As for the end of the update, I must say little Fredrich has been through a lot, arguably more than what Otto and Fredrich the Glorious went through as kids at this point. Then again, at least this Fredrich gets to have a childhood, unlike the other two who became Kaisers at a young age.
Hope he continues to have one, then.
I'm really curios to see what you've got planned for Sophie/Sophia in the Definitive edition, since I remember you saying you might expand on her reign later on. I must say that provincial tour sounds interesting, kinda reminds me of Ferdinand's tour before WW1 back in Vicky 2.
I don't have many plans yet, but I at least want to address what she did after beating Malcolm Bethune and explain why she died so suddenly.

Roman history is a testament to the power of—” Don’t you dare say it! “—solidarity and trust.” Thank goodness you didn’t blurt out “the power of friendship!” on live TV.
Well at least she did not start going all My Little Pony Friendship is Magic on us.

Wilhelmina chucked. “You can try.” Gunduz can barely throw a punch, for all her bluster.
I wonder if that is why Gunduz and Avasarala are so famously blunt in that they know they cant throw a literal punch so they have to throw a verbal one instead?

She threw open the doors, and Wilhelmina strode in. As the impatient children inside cheered and gathered around her, she set the package down on the table and opened it, revealing the cake inside. “Happy birthday, Friedrich!” She looked at her grandson.

Friedrich’s face lit up with pure joy. “Thanks, Grandma!”
Even through all of this doom and gloom there should always be something to celebrate no mater how small.

All in all another great update. I do wonder if we will get more information on Heinrich and his attempt at a Operation Valkyrie?

Also since it is 2039 I wonder when we will start seeing some more sci fi tech appear like holograms and space ships since so far we only have things like Panopticon, green energy being more accessible than non-renewables and the new element that Alex and his team are working on?

Well at least she did not start going all My Little Pony Friendship is Magic on us.
lol
I wonder if that is why Gunduz and Avasarala are so famously blunt in that they know they cant throw a literal punch so they have to throw a verbal one instead?
Not sure about Avasarala, but at least for Gunduz it could be one of many reasons.
Even through all of this doom and gloom there should always be something to celebrate no mater how small.
Yep.
All in all another great update. I do wonder if we will get more information on Heinrich and his attempt at a Operation Valkyrie?
Not anytime soon as I'm focusing on other characters for this batch.
Also since it is 2039 I wonder when we will start seeing some more sci fi tech appear like holograms and space ships since so far we only have things like Panopticon, green energy being more accessible than non-renewables and the new element that Alex and his team are working on?
Not for a long while. 2039 is still relatively "present day" aside from some near future tech like the Panopticons, drones, and advanced (but not sentient) AI

I don't think I finished my response to this earlier, so I'm going to put it in a separate response so you get the notification as I don't know if edits send notifications.

The year 2039 is still relatively close to the present day, and even with the introduction of the "30 years ahead" Annionaverse tech, everything will stay fairly grounded for at least another few decades barring some game-changers that might pop up as people develop the advanced tech you mentioned. I'm going to save the holograms for Stellaris, and even then I won't have Star Trek or Star Wars level of holograms until endgame if at all. It'll be more like The Expanse's use. For spaceships, I know I said Stellaris will start in 2100 which would imply there are FTL spaceships by then, but I'm going to keep the details to myself for now.

Exosuits, powered armor, and mechs though? We already see prototype exosuits in this arc, and you can expect better ones in the near future because mechs are cool. But they won't be building giant building-sized mechs, though.

For spaceships, I know I said Stellaris will start in 2100 which would imply there are FTL spaceships by then, but I'm going to keep the details to myself for now.
Fair enough. Mabey the 2090's and 2100's could be the prologue to Stellaris in were the first spaceships are being built?

Exosuits, powered armor, and mechs though? We already see prototype exosuits in this arc, and you can expect better ones in the near future because mechs are cool. But they won't be building giant building-sized mechs, though.
Speaking of mechs I saw this video from 2016 of a mech that looks like the ones from Avatar.

Another one is this one from 2012 that to me looks like a Knightmare Frame from Code Geass.

Mabey these could be two designs for your mechs?

Looking forward to seeing what sort of tech humanity's gonna be cooking up by the time Stellaris starts, that's assuming there's a humanity left to begin with, hopefully. I wonder if we'll see the rise of Robots and Androids here when the time comes, especially with the population severely going down no thanks to this war? Gotta have to wait and see whoever wins this war first.

Fair enough. Mabey the 2090's and 2100's could be the prologue to Stellaris in were the first spaceships are being built?
The 2090s having the first spaceships might be too late, since by 2100 there should be at least 2 FTL ships (one science ship and one military ship if I have the starting setup correct) capable of reaching the nearest habitable system. The first spaceships built would likely be STL ships with better engines that could reliably get around the solar system, which would be improved over a few decades until FTL comes around and becomes viable enough to make travel to the next star system possible. I'd say there would have to be at least 30 years between the first STL inter-system ships and the first FTL interstellar ships. I still have to work on a timeframe, and that depends on how this war ends (in other words, I can't say more without spoiling the war).
Speaking of mechs I saw this video from 2016 of a mech that looks like the ones from Avatar.

Another one is this one from 2012 that to me looks like a Knightmare Frame from Code Geass.

Mabey these could be two designs for your mechs?
Good ideas. I did have the Avatar mechs in mind for some of the Stellaris era mechs, but before then I had other designs as well. For exosuits/powered armor, I was thinking some models would be like the Alien mechs you mentioned before, while combat mech suits would be like the ones from Edge of Tomorrow.

1665543708297.png

Internally, I consider Josh and Elias' exosuits as less advanced versions of the Edge of Tomorrow ones. Not sure why I decided on the word exosuits. Will probably switch to powered armor or whatever later on.

For car-sized mechs, I drew from a lot of inspirations. Early designs would be like Xenoblade 1's mobile artillery, where it's just an artillery cannon and machine guns strapped on to leg-like tire treads for increased mobility:

1665539300646.png

(Please don't search it up, the rest of the scene I took this picture from has major spoilers.)

This would naturally evolve into variants like the mecha-suits from Legend of Korra Book 1:

1665539430793.png

Which have more armor and versatility than the previous design. Initially, I want to avoid having mechs with humanoid legs since for the most part mechs will be fighting in urban/flat terrain suited for vehicles, and it'll be easier for their pilots to drive them around instead of having to walk like a human. These mechs and the mobile artillery would be like specialized armor/artillery units, not a replacement for conventional infantry. And not all infantry would get powered armor, which would likely be reserved for specialized armored infantry units.

Later on, as the technology advances, especially the control interfaces (which would ideally work based on moving your limbs, not through conventional steering wheels or joysticks), legs could be implemented, allowing for designs like the Earth Empire mechs of LOK Book 4.

qigdlq14gwr91.jpg

And even later, as the technology really advances, we could get mechs like the "Skells" of Xenoblade X:

1665540001468.png

(There are multiple models with specialized functions in the game, but this picture only has one of them.)

These mechs would primarily use built-in guns as their main weapons, but they could integrate blades into their arms for melee combat, and some models would still be used as mobile artillery. Some might even be able to switch to a wheeled mode where their legs fold up to reveal wheels.

Semi-related, but future helicopters might use the two-rotor design of the Avatar helicopters.

I also imagine the ancient humans had mechs of their own. They’d look like the Artifices from Xenoblade 2.

1665542632924.jpeg

(The actual mechs probably wouldn’t have the halo or those wings. Like with X’s mechs, there are multiple models. Again, there will be major spoilers if you look up details. Please don't look.)

Right now, I’m working out other bits of ancient human society in preparation for when I can fully discuss them, and I don’t have much ready yet, but one of the things I decided on was that their technological development went in a different direction from modern human civilization. Getting their energy and fuel from other sources, they rarely used fossil fuels or did intensive mining, among other things, which is why they didn’t leave too much of a mark on the geological record (even if we don’t take into account how their civilization ended). In addition, their circumstances differed as the Earth of 150,000 BCE was in the middle of an ice age and much of the northern hemisphere, specifically Europe, was covered in glaciers. So their technology, mechs included, would have been made of different materials, used different fuel sources, and had different design philosophies.

I don’t know when I’ll introduce these ancient mechs into the story. It won’t be for a while, but when they do pop up, that’s my current idea.

Wow, that got way more detailed than I expected.
Looking forward to seeing what sort of tech humanity's gonna be cooking up by the time Stellaris starts, that's assuming there's a humanity left to begin with, hopefully. I wonder if we'll see the rise of Robots and Androids here when the time comes, especially with the population severely going down no thanks to this war? Gotta have to wait and see whoever wins this war first.
Robots? As a replacement for a human workforce? In a roughly 21st century setting?

1665542124241.jpeg

:oops:

Reactions:
Don't worry about being to detailed I love conversations like this about world building. :)

Mabey the mech between the ones we see in LOK Book 1 and Book 4 could be like the Walkers from Battlefield 2142?
Walker.JPG

Then after the ones from LOK Book 4 are built then the ones from Avatar could be built? Also either between the ones from Avatar and the ones and the Xenoblade X ones you could have the ones from Titanfall?
Titanfall.JPG

That way it could go LOK Book 1, Battlefield 2142, LOK Book 4 and then Titanfall?

Also maybe when we get to spaceships like the ones that will be based on those from the Expanse we could see ships like Battlefield 2142's Titan were it could operate in atmosphere were as the ones from the Expanse could not?
Titan.JPG

Lastly you could introduce the Ancient Human mechs in things similar to the Halo 4 Terminals along with other parts of Ancient Huminites story?

Last edited:
Mabey the mech between the ones we see in LOK Book 1 and Book 4 could be like the Walkers from Battlefield 2142?
I'd think they'd still use treads, at least at first, while militaries focus on adding weapons. Later on, some models might get a little bigger and look like the mechs from Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series:

1665587168094.png

Basically imagine this but instead of World War I steampunk (as Leviathan is a WWI alternate history where the Entente/"Darwinists" uses genetically engineered war monsters while the Central Powers/"Clankers" have mechs) it's modern 21st century tech. I'm not too familiar with Battlefield's mechs, so I'm hesitant on using them.

The progression from Book 1 to Book 4 mechs is something I want to at least complete before Stellaris, to allow the technology to develop further into the Avatar and Xenoblade X style mechs once humanity goes to space.
Then after the ones from LOK Book 4 are built then the ones from Avatar could be built? Also either between the ones from Avatar and the ones and the Xenoblade X ones you could have the ones from Titanfall?
I wanted to use the Avatar-like mechs in Stellaris settings, so they would have been designed for off-world operations like in the movie. The Xenoblade X mechs are a straight upgrade over those ones due to even better features like flight in both atmosphere and space, wheeled vehicle mode, built-in weapons, more efficient fuel use, and better agility.

So. it might go like:

LOK Book 1/Xenoblade 1 mobile artillery -> Leviathan Clanker mechs -> Book 4 mechs -> Avatar movie mechs -> Xenoblade X mechs

This also reminded me of an idea I had for Annionaverse mechs. They'd obviously be the Space Marine powered armor/mech suits from Warhammer 40k.
Also maybe when we get to spaceships like the ones that will be based on those from the Expanse we could see ships like Battlefield 2142's Titan were it could operate in atmosphere were as the ones from the Expanse could not?
Some Expanse ships could operate in atmosphere, though not Earth's atmosphere.

If the Battlefield 2142 ships look like the one you posted, I don't think I'm going to use them as I want designs that are practical and can realistically work, while allowing some leeway for sci-fi conveniences. Early spaceships would be like The Expanse's ships. They'd be oriented like a building, with the main engine underneath the bottom floor (instead of oriented like a ship with the engine at the rear) so that acceleration and deceleration can provide artificial gravity. Story-wise I intend for artificial gravity generators to be extremely energy intensive and financially expensive, so most Earth ships won't have them until endgame. Later on, as spaceship tech improves, the designs could shift to those from Battlestar Galactica, where many civilian spaceships could operate in atmosphere. I at least want my space fighters to be capable of combat in atmosphere like the Vipers, but it will take a while before we even get to space fighters and carriers, which would require a lot of shifts in interstellar military doctrine first.
Lastly you could introduce the Ancient Human mechs in things similar to the Halo 4 Terminals along with other parts of Ancient Huminites story?
I could have them be dug up in the future by modern civilization, or some abandoned ones pop up in space or on other planets ancient humans settled on. They could serve a similar role as Xenogears' mechs, which were created by an ancient civilization and dug up thousands of years later to be used in a modern war.

Reactions: