The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
God lord, it seems all is not very well in Scandinavia, especially with this new Chancellor in play. And it's a damn shame the new Fylkir is nothing more but a puppet so there's no way to undermine the real power behind the throne. Things are really not going well. By the way, just dropping this now, I am this close to finishing an abridge look on A Symphony of Frost and Flame (both timeline and the main series), but for now it's mostly finishing up what the First Long Night would have really gone and how it connects to the main players in the series. Some lore tidbits, A Hymn of Shadow and Jade is divided between three volumes, all chronicling the rise and eventual fall of the Protagonist, going with A Prince of Yi-Ti which details the protagonist's adventures around Yi-Ti, the island of Leng and Asshai and ends as Euron Greyjoy besieges Asshai's capital city, The King of Shadows, which details the rise of the protagonist into prominence after being crowned as the King of Asshai and later taking power amidst the squabbling Yi-Tish noblemen and princes and the Second Long Night (with the return of the Lion of the Night and a brief alliance with Daenerys Targaryen), and The Jadestone Emperor which details the protagonist's fall from grace, tyrannical acts in the name of 'progress', eventual madness and downfall at the hands of his progeny. The Jadestone Emperor would bear similarities to Dune's God Emperor Dune book, where the protagonist, seeing how the empire had stagnated to the point of superstition and over reliance on magic ensures that progress is made, even if the cost is very high. Hence there's a divide on the protagonist's reasons, and whether it was truly justifiable. One of the supporting characters in this third volume would be Emperor Consort Cregan Stark, one of the twin sons of Jon Snow.

• 1Like
Reactions:
God lord, it seems all is not very well in Scandinavia, especially with this new Chancellor in play. And it's a damn shame the new Fylkir is nothing more but a puppet so there's no way to undermine the real power behind the throne. Things are really not going well.
The Scandinavians really aren't having a good time.
By the way, just dropping this now, I am this close to finishing an abridge look on A Symphony of Frost and Flame (both timeline and the main series), but for now it's mostly finishing up what the First Long Night would have really gone and how it connects to the main players in the series. Some lore tidbits, A Hymn of Shadow and Jade is divided between three volumes, all chronicling the rise and eventual fall of the Protagonist, going with A Prince of Yi-Ti which details the protagonist's adventures around Yi-Ti, the island of Leng and Asshai and ends as Euron Greyjoy besieges Asshai's capital city, The King of Shadows, which details the rise of the protagonist into prominence after being crowned as the King of Asshai and later taking power amidst the squabbling Yi-Tish noblemen and princes and the Second Long Night (with the return of the Lion of the Night and a brief alliance with Daenerys Targaryen), and The Jadestone Emperor which details the protagonist's fall from grace, tyrannical acts in the name of 'progress', eventual madness and downfall at the hands of his progeny. The Jadestone Emperor would bear similarities to Dune's God Emperor Dune book, where the protagonist, seeing how the empire had stagnated to the point of superstition and over reliance on magic ensures that progress is made, even if the cost is very high. Hence there's a divide on the protagonist's reasons, and whether it was truly justifiable. One of the supporting characters in this third volume would be Emperor Consort Cregan Stark, one of the twin sons of Jon Snow.
So I take it there will be a time jump later in the overall series? Seeing as we now have presumably adult children of the original protagonists.

So I take it there will be a time jump later in the overall series? Seeing as we now have presumably adult children of the original protagonists.
Nah, only for Hymn, Symphony has that far time jump into the third Long Night as a sort of bookends to the series, with a skirmish beyond the Wall and the start of the Third and final Long Night. Seems I have run into the same problems with George in writing how ASOFAF will go with the working draft having a one year interregnum between Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, which will go over Westeros' attempts to survive the Long Night, working title for that 'book' is Champions of the Nightingale. In show terms, this would essentially be the last half of season 12 and almost all of season 13 before A Dream of Spring's section, with the fall of Winterfell and Stannis Baratheon's last stand back in Winds' epilogue incorporated in season 13's first two episodes as timeline wise, it takes place roughly at the 1 year interregnum.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nah, only for Hymn, Symphony has that far time jump into the third Long Night as a sort of bookends to the series, with a skirmish beyond the Wall and the start of the Third and final Long Night. Seems I have run into the same problems with George in writing how ASOFAF will go with the working draft having a one year interregnum between Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, which will go over Westeros' attempts to survive the Long Night, working title for that 'book' is Champions of the Nightingale. In show terms, this would essentially be the last half of season 12 and almost all of season 13 before A Dream of Spring's section, with the fall of Winterfell and Stannis Baratheon's last stand back in Winds' epilogue incorporated in season 13's first two episodes as timeline wise, it takes place roughly at the 1 year interregnum.
Okay, that makes sense. Even though we talked about it before, it's pretty amusing that GOT here lasts for 13+ seasons. That's Supernatural-levels of longevity.

Okay, that makes sense. Even though we talked about it before, it's pretty amusing that GOT here lasts for 13+ seasons. That's Supernatural-levels of longevity.
Yeah I figured the directors (not D&D) would still have to adapt the books as close as possible even if they have to take some liberies due to how impossible it is to recreate some of them (Prolly something like Greywater Watch which will appear in season 10), while eventually waiiting for the last remaining books to be released (A Dream of Spring would have released in 2020), and so would have divided the various plotlines to dedicate an entire season for each of them instead of cramming everything into a single 10 episode 1 hour season. Everything would eventually converge around Season 10, just as the Others/White Walkers finally breach the Wall and begun their invasion of Westeros. And HBO or its equivalent would have only given the show a blanque check during season 12 to 13. More lore tidbits btw, the Dothraki aren't armorless in this version, they'd be more based on the various hordes that the Reich fought throughout its existence (The Turks and Mongols being the more obvious examples) and as such aren't like the quasi Sioux people they are apparently based on in OTL, although this was what they would have look like before the Doom of Valyria as the dragonlords were keen on making the Dothraki a controllable 'barbarian' army to use against their rebellious colonies. It's only after the Doom would the Dothraki undergo a reform under their first Great Khal were they would start adapting armor and expecting tribute on the cities they conquer, the Kingdom of Sarnor would actually be spared instead of being destroyed and would exist in a state similar to the Russian Principalities under the Tartar Yoke. Some of the Dothraki would eventually settle but the majority would have still continued their nomadic lifestyle. So by the time of the main series proper, Daenerys' marriage would actually alarm Robert Baratheon's council, Khal Drogo, istead of being treated as a barbarian is a Timur-like figure that has already begun plans to bring the Free Cities to heel, this forces some of these cities to band together in fear of another Great Khal, but due to an untreated injury this is cut short, after that Daenerys' journey would start much like in OTL. I made this change because there is no way in hell would the Dothraki look like what they are in OTL considering the many hordes the Reich has fought and due to Georgious being a Roman, he definitely would have watched the Timur movie in his youth. Plus picturing Jason Mamoa in Timurid/Mongol armor is cool as hell.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah I figured the directors (not D&D) would still have to adapt the books as close as possible even if they have to take some liberies due to how impossible it is to recreate some of them (Prolly something like Greywater Watch which will appear in season 10), while eventually waiiting for the last remaining books to be released (A Dream of Spring would have released in 2020), and so would have divided the various plotlines to dedicate an entire season for each of them instead of cramming everything into a single 10 episode 1 hour season. Everything would eventually converge around Season 10, just as the Others/White Walkers finally breach the Wall and begun their invasion of Westeros. And HBO or its equivalent would have only given the show a blanque check during season 12 to 13.
I'm guessing OTL seasons 1-8 were spread out over several more seasons. The later seasons/books definitely need that.
More lore tidbits btw, the Dothraki aren't armorless in this version, they'd be more based on the various hordes that the Reich fought throughout its existence (The Turks and Mongols being the more obvious examples) and as such aren't like the quasi Sioux people they are apparently based on in OTL, although this was what they would have look like before the Doom of Valyria as the dragonlords were keen on making the Dothraki a controllable 'barbarian' army to use against their rebellious colonies. It's only after the Doom would the Dothraki undergo a reform under their first Great Khal were they would start adapting armor and expecting tribute on the cities they conquer, the Kingdom of Sarnor would actually be spared instead of being destroyed and would exist in a state similar to the Russian Principalities under the Tartar Yoke. Some of the Dothraki would eventually settle but the majority would have still continued their nomadic lifestyle.
While the Turks did start off as nomads, they ended up being remembered as a sedentary people in Roman history due to their roles in establishing Seljuk Persia, the Ghaznavid realm, and the Ottoman family. So even though Alp Arslan is remembered as a nomadic conqueror (and I think will be referenced again in the future as such), most Romans in 2020 would think of sedentary civilizations when asked about the Turks.

Agree on the Mongol influences, though the Tatar Yoke analogues could be adjusted a bit. Here, instead of multiple Russian principalities being subjugated by various Mongol khanates for several generations, all of a united Russia was subjugated early on by the Mongol Empire for a much shorter period of time. So any "Tatar Yoke" would be much more harsh and brutal but also much shorter overall.
So by the time of the main series proper, Daenerys' marriage would actually alarm Robert Baratheon's council, Khal Drogo, istead of being treated as a barbarian is a Timur-like figure that has already begun plans to bring the Free Cities to heel, this forces some of these cities to band together in fear of another Great Khal, but due to an untreated injury this is cut short, after that Daenerys' journey would start much like in OTL. I made this change because there is no way in hell would the Dothraki look like what they are in OTL considering the many hordes the Reich has fought and due to Georgious being a Roman, he definitely would have watched the Timur movie in his youth. Plus picturing Jason Mamoa in Timurid/Mongol armor is cool as hell.
From what I heard, GRRM did draw on Mongol as well as Sioux influences for the Dothraki, but I agree the Sioux influences wouldn't work as well since our Lakota polity went in a different route (more sedentary and organized without having to constantly deal with American settlers). Love the Timur analogue for Khal Drogo, that's perfect for him.

Besieged

Vilnius

Vilnius was under siege for at least the third time in as many months. Olga’s rifle sat in the corner, ready to go. But today, Boris didn’t feel like fighting. He sat at his desk, poring over reports from the front lines. Things had taken a turn for the worse recently. The unconditional surrender coming out of Tingvalla several hours ago had dealt a massive blow to the morale of his troops. Although the Scandinavian navy vowed to fight on, their naval presence in the Gulf of Riga had collapsed, allowing Jerusalem to attack Riga through its harbor. Forming a hammer to the anvil of the main army coming in from occupied Russia, they encircled almost the entire Land Force in Riga. Before communications were severed, he heard at least a dozen divisions had surrendered, and twenty more had been completely annihilated. Riga was as good as lost now. Tallinn would probably fall soon as well. Vilnius was now the last major city still securely in Livonian hands. But that damned General Engelbert von Haynau was trying to change that.

Curses be on the name of the Butcher of Lithuania. That monster will stop at nothing to destroy my people. We’ve all heard the rumors of what he did in the west, after Konstantinov pushed him out the first time. Where the hell is Konstantinov, even?

Boris put his face in his hands and sighed in frustration. Today’s work was tedious and demoralizing. The navy was scrambling to reposition itself in preparation for Holy Marine reinforcements. After that unexpected surrender, Denmark immediately fell under Jerusalem’s control. Although Jerusalem couldn’t project power into Sweden and Norway yet, the Holy Marine regained access to the Baltic Sea. A fleet was likely on its way to the Gulf of Riga.

No, I can’t worry about that right now. Von Haynau is the bigger threat.

His eyes wandered over to a map of Vilnius. Once again, von Haynau’s forces had pushed deep into downtown from the south and west. This time, without the Russians to push them back, they had established footholds north of the Neris. He meant to encircle Boris and the palace in the Old Town. A bold strategy, taking advantage of the Land Force’s comparative weakness and the absence of the Russians. Konstantinov was aware of the crisis and was heading back east as fast as he could, but it would take time for him to get there.

I hope he gets here in time. I’m not sure if we can hold out that long.

Kowalski entered the office. “Sir, we managed to connect to Isfahan.”

After an hour? Better than nothing, I suppose. “Great, are they on the secure line?”

“Yes.”

“Thanks, Kowalski.”

“Of course, sir.” Kowalski saluted and left.

Boris picked up the phone. “Uh…hello?”

For the first time in many months, a voice crackled through the speaker. “Speak the frak up. Are you a kid or something?”

I recognize that voice. “Ah, Gunduz. You’re as outspoken as ever.”

“Cut the flattery.”

“Anyways, how are things in Persia? We haven’t heard much from the outside world since Russia fell and the satellites went down.”

“We’re doing fine, all things considered,” Gunduz said, “Could be worse.”

Boris looked out the window, watching explosions level some buildings in the outer neighborhoods. “Yeah, you could’ve been suffering like us here.”

“Jerusalem giving you trouble as well?”

“You could say that.”

“Frak, how bad is it over there?”

“Oh, nothing out of the ordinary, just half my capital’s fallen into enemy hands and I’m staring total collapse right in the face,” Boris said, “So yeah, business as usual for us Livonians.”

“You need help or something?”

“Oh, no, I can handle myself over here just fine, yeah, I can, NOT! We’re dying over here and need reinforcements ASAP! Though I don’t think you’re in any position to send troops to the other side of Europe, so frak me, I guess.” Boris shrugged, even though Gunduz would not see it.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Gunduz said.

“Thanks, it’s much appreciated,” Boris said, “So, how’s Persia?”

“We’re doing fine, as I said when you first asked that question,” Gunduz said.

“Come on, you can’t at least give me more details? The line is secured.”

“You know me, Boris, I don’t trust secure lines these days. I’m not even letting you-know-who talk to you right now.”

“You-know-who—oh.” Boris caught on. “I see. That is important. I trust you know what to do with that information?”

“Who do you think I am? Of course I know.”

Static creeped around the edges of the call, obscuring parts of Gunduz’s voice.

“We’re losing the connection,” Gunduz said, “I don’t think we’ll have much time left. So, uh…I’m sorry I can’t help you that much right now, but…good luck.”

“Thanks, Gunduz,” Boris said, “And, uh…can you tell you-know-who that I said hi?”

Gunduz laughed on the other end, her voice breaking through the intensifying static. “Sure thing. Take care, Bradziunas.”

“You too, Gunduz.”

The call finally cut off. Boris kept the phone at his ear, listening to the end of call tone. Once again, he was alone in the room.

I wonder when’s the next time I’ll be able to call.

Delhi - January 24

They had been here since the first nukes fell. At first, plenty of people kept Jayasimha company down here. But as casualties mounted and the battle raging above took turn after turn for the worst, their numbers dwindled. Ranjit and Banda were doing all they could, but they were outnumbered and outgunned. Repeated use of chemical weapons had devastated their troops, while Jerusalem had shipped in large amounts of reinforcements. They were fighting a losing battle. Every day, Delhi’s defenders suffered losses they couldn’t replace, while Jerusalem could afford to draw on an infinite supply of cannon fodder to make up for any casualties. It was paradoxical. In normal circumstances, the defenders should have the advantage in manpower, not the besiegers. So this was what it was like to fight the Reich. For a thousand years, the Reich made sure to be superior in all aspects on the battlefield: tactics, logistics, technology, and numbers. Jerusalem now brought all that to bear against poor India.

Jayasimha hated his bunker. He hated being stuck inside a box of concrete for months. He hated how the Crusaders had effectively trapped him in here for so long. He hated how this was the same bunker that the cursed Gandhi had spent his final days in. He hated how the bunker had been barely cleaned up from when he was last here, because that idiot Shah wanted to “preserve the memory.” He hated how he was forced to remember what happened to him in this bunker, especially while he was still confined to his wheelchair. And he hated how Lakshmi had to suffer with him.

“Grandpa,” Lakshmi said, “When can we go outside again?”

She’s asked that every day since we came down here. “I…I don’t know.” And I always reply the same way.

“I miss outside. I miss the sky.”

She wouldn’t be saying that if she saw the sky today. “I miss it too.” How do I cheer her up? She hasn’t smiled in months. But I’m at a loss too.

“Why, Grandpa?”

“Why what?”

“Why are they doing this?”

Uh…it’s complicated. How am I supposed to explain everything to a child? “I don’t know.”

Lakshmi looked at him. “Is it because of me?”

Jayasimha did a double take. “Why would you say that?”

“Because they say I’m a monster. I’m an abomination.”

Is she really saying that? Jayasimha shook his head. “And why would you say that? You’re not a monster, Lakshmi. You’re my granddaughter.”

“I was remember what Chancellor Han said,” Lakshmi said, “He said we’re stupid for believing I’m who I say I am. That nothing will change who I was born as.”

Is she still dwelling on Han’s comments? I swear, once this war’s over, I’ll have to talk to him again. “Don’t listen to Han. That man doesn’t know what he’s saying. He’s not your grandpa.”

“But isn’t he right? I can’t change who I was born as?”

Han really got to her, damn him. I have to change that. “Actually…he’s wrong.”

“How?”

“Han thinks gender is something you can’t change, but he’s wrong about that. In the old stories, even the gods and heroes changed between male, female, neither, and both.”

Lakshmi’s eyes lit up. “Really?”

“Yes.” I should’ve listened to Grandma Sita’s stories better. “In one story, Shiva and Parvati fused into a single deity known as Ardhanarishvara, ‘the lord whose half is a woman’, because they were both male and female. In another story, your namesake Lakshmi and her husband Vishnu also merged as Lakshmi-Narayana.”

“Even the goddess Lakshmi was like me?”

Jayasimha smiled. “Why else would I have suggested that name after your transition? You’re not alone. Despite what Han tells you, people like you are nothing new. They’ve been a part of India since the beginning. Even the old philosophers identified what they called tŕtīya-prakŕti, the third gender, though I have to say that category covered a lot of things back then. It just wasn’t legally recognized and defined until we passed the law.”

That’s why people could put “T” on their drivers’ licenses, for a time. Until the committee steamrolled us in 2034 and installed the Hindutva idiots.

“So don’t feel like you’re a monster, Lakshmi. You’re just trying to find out who you are. And I think you finally did. You’re not crazy. If anything, I think you’re brave.”

“Brave?” Lakshmi said.

In China and Jerusalem these days, “brave” would mean saying obviously racist stuff without regard for the consequences. I hate that. It’s time we reclaimed that word. “Yes, brave for choosing to acknowledge who you are and not hiding it. You’re an example to the people of India, encouraging many of our fellow citizens to also be brave and accept who they are. You walk in the example of the gods and heroes. That is what makes a good Samrat. Or should I say, Samrajni.”

“Some example I am now, hiding in a bunker.”

“It can’t be helped in the current crisis, but once we get out of here, I’m sure things will be different. You’re going to be a great Samrajni after me.”

“Really?”

“I know you will be,” Jayasimha said.

For the first time in months, Lakshmi smiled. “Thanks, Grandpa.”

“Anything for you, Lakshmi.” Jayasimha smiled in response, his mind eased for now.

Edo - January 25

It was all over. President Hayabusa stared out the window of his office, watching what remained of Edo burning around him. He wasn’t in his usual residence at the shogun’s old palace, which had been leveled with much of downtown in November. The rest went up in flames as Sakamoto’s National Liberation Army advanced. Hayabusa’s army was almost nonexistent now, having been largely destroyed at Shizuoka. There weren’t enough men left now to mount a counterattack against Sakamoto, unless he began conscripting from the general population, which he had refused to do. There was no denying it. The war was over, and he had lost. All he could do was have his remaining soldiers—at least those who hadn’t defected or mutinied yet—evacuate civilians to the north and away from the front lines, but he feared it was a lost cause. Ainu Mosir had surrendered yesterday after Sakamoto dropped Jerusalem-supplied nerve gas on Sapporo, wiping out 70% of its population in a single day. Why he hadn’t done the same to Edo remained a mystery.

Perhaps he wants to take this city the old fashioned way.

The flames and explosions grew closer. It wouldn’t be long before Sakamoto’s army took his headquarters, which would spell certain death for him. But he wasn’t leaving. Not until he finished up what he needed to do. Hayabusa turned away from the window and faced the other two people in the room. One was a balding Japanese man in his forties, with scars on his face and hands. He wore a black suit, tie, and sunglasses, like a stereotypical government bodyguard. In a way, Tetsuya kind of was his bodyguard.

“Are you sure, aniki?” Tetsuya said.

I’ve known Tetsuya since our days running errands for the old Takamiya clan. The Takamiya patriarch took us in after finding us on the streets of Yokohama. How long ago was that? Thirty years? Time sure flies.

“Yes, Tetsuya,” Hayabusa said, “It’s time.”

“You know I can’t leave you here.”

“You have to. We’ve talked about this already.”

Tetsuya crossed his arms. “And I’ve objected to it every time we talked about it.”

They both looked at the third person. She was a little girl, about five or six years old. She wore the outfit of a regular kindergartener, with a blue rain jacket and white and blue dress. Underneath a yellow hat, her hair had been done in twintails. Her tiny hands clutched a rabbit plushie. She stared at them with wide eyes. Hayabusa lowered his voice.

“You know how important she is? We cannot let her fall into Sakamoto’s hands.”

“I know, I know, but…I can’t just let you do this, Hayabusa.”

“I know the feeling,” Hayabusa said, “Remember that raid in Kobe?”

Tetsuya laughed. “Yeah.”

“It’s just like that. Only this time, it’s my turn.”

“Please, Hayabusa, think about what you’re saying. You know what Sakamoto will do to you.”

But Hayabusa was adamant. “I’m prepared for it. What matters is Yuki must live.”

“Is that what we’re calling her now?” Tetsuya said.

Because I found her shivering outside covered in snow. No sign of her parents anywhere—all she had were her clothes and the rabbit plushie. But we both know who they probably were.

“It’s for her safety,” Hayabusa said, “When the time is right, you can tell her.”

“Wait a minute, I haven’t agreed yet.”

“We don’t have much time. You need to take her and go.”

Tetsuya siged. “If only you’d found her last month, we wouldn’t be rushing like this.”

“Well, shikata ga nai,” Hayabusa said, “I’m lucky I even found her at all.”

An explosion threw up flames three blocks away. Tetsuya shook his head and scoffed. “Hayabusa, you’re as stubborn as ever. I always told you it would get you killed someday.”

“You’re right, Tetsuya,” Hayabusa said.

“Alright, fine,” Tetsuya said, “I’ll do it. I could never convince you otherwise.”

The one thing I’m better than him at.

“You have no idea how much that means to me,” Hayabusa said, “You’re looking after the future of Japan. Our last hope for defeating Sakamoto.”

“Please don’t make it sound so important,” Tetsuya said, “You know I hate pressure.”

Another explosion shook the headquarters, this one much closer than the last.

“So tell me, Hayabusa,” Tetsuya said, “Why are you even doing this? We could’ve come up with a better plan.”

“I have to atone for what I’ve done,” Hayabusa said.

“Atonement?” Tetsuya laughed. “Ah, so that’s what this is about. I told you we shouldn’t have gone into politics.”

“And I should’ve listened to you,” Hayabusa said.

“See, this is what I’m talking about when I say you’re too stubborn.”

“But you forget one thing. Sakamoto would’ve attacked no matter who ran Edo, whether it was me or the shogun or some other Paulluist cadre. It was pure luck that I found Yuki when I did. If I was merely lucky, then would anyone else have found her? It’s just as likely she would’ve been killed by a bomb or worse.”

“So you’re saying it was fate Yuki was saved only because you were in charge?”

“Perhaps, but we may never know. All I’m saying is…my stubbornness may have given us one last way out of this mess. Even if Edo falls and all of the islands of Japan fall under Sakamoto’s rule, Yuki might ensure the dream we’ve all been fighting for lives on.”

“Please, not the pressure!” Tetsuya said. “What did I just tell you?”

“Sorry,” Hayabusa said, “That’s the politician in me talking.”

Another explosion rattled the room. This one was almost on top of them.

“It’s time,” Hayabusa said, “You two should get going.”

Tetsuya stood up and held out his hand to the little girl. “Come on, uh, Yuki…we should go.”

Yuki nervously stood up and took Tetsuya’s hand. It was tiny and pale compared to Tetsuya’s large and callused fist, hardened from years of street fights.

“So…I guess this is it,” Tetsuya said, turning to Hayabusa.

“Yes it is, aniki,” Hayabusa said.

They shook hands. Tetsuya’s grip remained strong and resolute, just as it always had been.

“Good luck,” Hayabusa said.

“You too, aniki.”

Tetsuya turned and left, leading Yuki through the doorway and leaving Hayabusa alone in his office. Accepting his fate, the former president sat on his rug and crossed his legs in the lotus position. He took several deep breaths and cleared his mind.

I haven’t done this in years. The Takamiyas were your run of the mill yakuza clan, but the patriarch was a spiritual guy. He studied the teachings of Shaku Sōen, a Zen monk in the late 19th century who was part of the first independence movements against China, and he passed those teachings down to us. Sōen always said we must face our deaths without fear, for that is the way of the samurai. We accept that we will die, but we ourselves decide how we will die. That way, we can defeat not only our external enemies but also our inner enemies, the shinma, demons of the mind. It’s time I faced my impending death without fear, like a true samurai. The south has long forgotten the old ways, cast aside by the traitor Sakamoto who murdered the descendants of Amaterasu, but here in the north, we remember. We may have made many mistakes. I made plenty of them myself. But I want to repent for them. I want to atone for everything I’ve done. I can no longer apologize to the shogun. I can no longer make things up to him. But I still have a chance with Yuki. As long as she survives, my death today will not have been in vain.

National Liberation Army soldiers burst through the doorway, their guns pointed at Hayabusa. “Are you the so-called President Hayabusa of the illegitimate northern republic?”

Hayabusa didn’t budge. “Thus I have heard.” As the old Buddhist texts always begin with.

“Are you?!”

“If that is what you believe, then by all means.”

“Know that your puppet state is at an end, and Japan will once again be free!”

“Will it?” Hayabusa raised an eyebrow.

“Uh…hai, it will!”

“And that concerns me how?”

“Because you have lost!”

Hayabusa inhaled and exhaled. “From a certain point of view, yes. From another, no.”

“What—what are you talking about?”

“Form is emptiness, emptiness is form,” Hayabusa said, “Our lives have no meaning beyond what we give them. My life’s work was originally leading the Republic of Japan, but that is no longer possible. So I have found a new meaning. A meaning you cannot take away from me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not telling you,” Hayabusa said, “You’ll have to find out on your own.”

“We’re going to kill you now.”

“Then go ahead,” Hayabusa said, “I’m no longer afraid of dying. I don’t think I can say the same about you, though. What has Sakamoto brought about in the south? Stamping out the samurai and our other traditions? Killing the emperor and his family when he could have just confined them to Kyoto? And he claims to be the one protecting such traditions. Empty statements. All empty.”

The leading soldier’s gun wavered. “Shut up!”

“Have you realized it yet?” Hayabusa said. “You may destroy my country, conquer all of Japan, but you will never win. This war will only end when Sakamoto falls, and I’m telling you, he will fall in the end. Because he is afraid. He is afraid of his own death. He cannot devote his whole self towards defeating his physical enemies as he is preoccupied with his shinma. Thus he is fated to lose.”

“Liar! You coward, trying to trick us with your lies and propaganda!”

“I’m not lying,” Hayabusa said, “I’m just recalling something my old patriarch told me many years ago. I should’ve listened to him better.”

One soldier pressed the tip of his rifle against Hayabusa’s chest. “Any last words, traitor?”

“Yes, but of course,” Hayabusa said, “I know this is rich, coming from me after what I did. I know this may not make up for all that I’ve done. I know this may be an empty gesture, at least for now. But I don’t care. TENNO HEIKA BANZAI!”

The soldiers opened fire. He fell back, his blood staining the rug.

“I’ve done what I could…” he whispered with his dying breath. “The rest…is up…to you…aniki…and Yuki…”

Thus ended the Republic of Japan, and with it went it any hope of restoring the Shiba Shogunate.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well it seams like the two steps back part of the saying has come true with rebel forces being attacked everywhere.

Olga’s rifle sat in the corner, ready to go. But today, Boris didn’t feel like fighting.
I am glad that at least one of the X-Divisions "relics" has not fallen into enemy hands yet.

Boris picked up the phone. “Uh…hello?”

For the first time in many months, a voice crackled through the speaker. “Speak the frak up. Are you a kid or something?”

I recognize that voice. “Ah, Gunduz. You’re as outspoken as ever.”

“Cut the flattery.”

“Anyways, how are things in Persia? We haven’t heard much from the outside world since Russia fell and the satellites went down.”

“We’re doing fine, all things considered,” Gunduz said, “Could be worse.”

Boris looked out the window, watching explosions level some buildings in the outer neighborhoods. “Yeah, you could’ve been suffering like us here.”

“Jerusalem giving you trouble as well?”

“You could say that.”

“Frak, how bad is it over there?”

“Oh, nothing out of the ordinary, just half my capital’s fallen into enemy hands and I’m staring total collapse right in the face,” Boris said, “So yeah, business as usual for us Livonians.”

“You need help or something?”

“Oh, no, I can handle myself over here just fine, yeah, I can, NOT! We’re dying over here and need reinforcements ASAP! Though I don’t think you’re in any position to send troops to the other side of Europe, so frak me, I guess.” Boris shrugged, even though Gunduz would not see it.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Gunduz said.

“Thanks, it’s much appreciated,” Boris said, “So, how’s Persia?”

“We’re doing fine, as I said when you first asked that question,” Gunduz said.

“Come on, you can’t at least give me more details? The line is secured.”

“You know me, Boris, I don’t trust secure lines these days. I’m not even letting you-know-who talk to you right now.”

“You-know-who—oh.” Boris caught on. “I see. That is important. I trust you know what to do with that information?”

“Who do you think I am? Of course I know.”

Static creeped around the edges of the call, obscuring parts of Gunduz’s voice.

“We’re losing the connection,” Gunduz said, “I don’t think we’ll have much time left. So, uh…I’m sorry I can’t help you that much right now, but…good luck.”

“Thanks, Gunduz,” Boris said, “And, uh…can you tell you-know-who that I said hi?”

Gunduz laughed on the other end, her voice breaking through the intensifying static. “Sure thing. Take care, Bradziunas.”

“You too, Gunduz.”

The call finally cut off. Boris kept the phone at his ear, listening to the end of call tone. Once again, he was alone in the room.

I wonder when’s the next time I’ll be able to call.
At least Persia is still holding out. For now.

“Han thinks gender is something you can’t change, but he’s wrong about that. In the old stories, even the gods and heroes changed between male, female, neither, and both.”

Lakshmi’s eyes lit up. “Really?”

“Yes.” I should’ve listened to Grandma Sita’s stories better. “In one story, Shiva and Parvati fused into a single deity known as Ardhanarishvara, ‘the lord whose half is a woman’, because they were both male and female. In another story, your namesake Lakshmi and her husband Vishnu also merged as Lakshmi-Narayana.”
That is true. Despite that many already have a good idea about what the Christian God and the Norse and Greco-Roman Gods look like (even then those gods are subject to change) for many of the worlds religions Gods and Goddesses are by our modern definition "Gender Neutral" in that many of them represent things in nature like the sun, wind and water and others might take on the appearance of animals were as some might have no physical appearance at all.

I know that in Rome's past both in OTL and in TTL they had Gladiator Games and since in Gilead and Jerusalem both have something similar called Salvaging as we saw in the both OTL and TTL. This got me wondering something. I could see the Committee go to the extreme (as they always do) and start something like the Purge in were every year the Committee announces the Purge but like the series it is a secret way of making sure that there is always an external enemy and keeping homeless levels low? You already have the "Christian" angle of the Purge since the "New Founding Fathers of America" in OTL Purge claim to be "Christian" the same as TTL's Committee.

Well it seams like the two steps back part of the saying has come true with rebel forces being attacked everywhere.
Yep. Our poor protagonists can’t catch a break.
I am glad that at least one of the X-Divisions "relics" has not fallen into enemy hands yet.
Josh: “Is that a challenge?”
At least Persia is still holding out. For now.
For now.
That is true. Despite that many already have a good idea about what the Christian God and the Norse and Greco-Roman Gods look like (even then those gods are subject to change) for many of the worlds religions Gods and Goddesses are by our modern definition "Gender Neutral" in that many of them represent things in nature like the sun, wind and water and others might take on the appearance of animals were as some might have no physical appearance at all.
A lot of ancient polytheistic traditions and folk religions don’t hew to modern (and frequently Christian/Victorian) definitions of gender and other social constructs. Polytheism typically doesn’t have a single canon (the Greek myths vary depending on the region and era) or even the idea of religion separate from culture and society (the Norse didn’t have a word for religion until the Christians introduced it). Unlike what some major religious institutions preach today, this attitude towards gender and other things like homosexuality is nothing new.
I know that in Rome's past both in OTL and in TTL they had Gladiator Games and since in Gilead and Jerusalem both have something similar called Salvaging as we saw in the both OTL and TTL. This got me wondering something. I could see the Committee go to the extreme (as they always do) and start something like the Purge in were every year the Committee announces the Purge but like the series it is a secret way of making sure that there is always an external enemy and keeping homeless levels low? You already have the "Christian" angle of the Purge since the "New Founding Fathers of America" in OTL Purge claim to be "Christian" the same as TTL's Committee
That is a possibility, especially if the war starts turning against Jerusalem.

Boris handling the pressure of isolation and looming doom. Jayasimha being a good grandfather, comforting Lakshmi. Hayabusa’s brave final stand, some calm parting words. All different tones, but all quite enjoyable.

Boris handling the pressure of isolation and looming doom. Jayasimha being a good grandfather, comforting Lakshmi. Hayabusa’s brave final stand, some calm parting words. All different tones, but all quite enjoyable.
These three men have been put in the same dire situation, and they've tried their best to survive or at least keep their cause alive.

RIP Hayabusa, an idealist to the end, and sadly it's a recurring theme here now that idealists never prosper despite their good intentions. I wonder how important is that little girl in bringing down Sakamoto's regime, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Boris has his work cut out for him, especially since Scandinavia is being lead by Quislings, not a very good sign but hopefully Konstantinov and the Russians can get there in time, it'd suck if Lithuania falls. And it's great that despite the current predicament they are in, Jayasimba is still being a good grandfather. that kind of optimism is needed in dark times.

RIP Hayabusa, an idealist to the end, and sadly it's a recurring theme here now that idealists never prosper despite their good intentions. I wonder how important is that little girl in bringing down Sakamoto's regime, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Boris has his work cut out for him, especially since Scandinavia is being lead by Quislings, not a very good sign but hopefully Konstantinov and the Russians can get there in time, it'd suck if Lithuania falls. And it's great that despite the current predicament they are in, Jayasimba is still being a good grandfather. that kind of optimism is needed in dark times.
RIP to Hayabusa indeed. I regret not fleshing him out further before his death, as I had initially not intended to make him a recurring character. But his sacrifice will set the stage for future developments in Japan's history.

After Scandinavia's surrender, Livonia is now the last remaining anti-Jerusalem force in Europe. Boris has his work cut out for him being surrounded from every direction now.

Jayasimha is still the best, despite the circumstances. A ray of hope and tolerance in a sea of darkness and a world ran by authoritarians.

Pretty grim update in general, especially with the fall of northern Japan at the end there, but one with at least some sparks of hope. I'm guessing Yuki is the last of the Japanese royal family, which could explain why she’s so important to overthrowing Sakomoto in the finure. In the meantime through, I’m guessing Japan is in for a rough time being ruled by a Jerusalem style dictatorship, with an especially rough time coming for the Ainu, Koreans and Christians. Good thing Ryukyu can defend itself at least.

Pretty grim update in general, especially with the fall of northern Japan at the end there, but one with at least some sparks of hope. I'm guessing Yuki is the last of the Japanese royal family, which could explain why she’s so important to overthrowing Sakomoto in the finure. In the meantime through, I’m guessing Japan is in for a rough time being ruled by a Jerusalem style dictatorship, with an especially rough time coming for the Ainu, Koreans and Christians. Good thing Ryukyu can defend itself at least.
Unfortunately, Ryukyu's naval prowess doesn't extend to land combat. Those marines may be super awesome, but there are only so many of them to go around.

Operation Huma

Este Mvskokvlke - January 28

An alarm beeped. Atoc rolled out of bed as usual and got dressed. His forehead was on fire. It had been like this for days since that chemical attack. But his coughing was more obvious, as he couldn’t help but cough every few minutes or so. As he put on his uniform, his arms ached and groaned. He stretched his right arm, but a muscle flared as if he had pulled it. He relaxed it, and the pain went away.

Got to be more careful. Weird. It’s been several days since the attack. Are these lingering symptoms, or something else? I know I’m pretty old, but it was never this painful.

He walked over to a mirror to straighten out his shirt, but he found it difficult. His legs dragged across the floor, and his head spun even more. He even felt a little dizzy.

Ah, frak, this is bad. What’s happening to me?

He reached the mirror and fixed his uniform. Just when he was about to step away, he noticed something suspicious on his mouth: a spot of red under his lip. He opened his mouth and saw more red spots inside. His eyes widened when he recognized what they were from decades-old news reports and briefings.

No! It can’t be!

Atoc ran to his desk, ignoring the pain and nausea and fatigue. He hit the intercom. “Lock down the ship, the fleet! Impose a quarantine on the entire army! We may have been infected with smallpox!”

Isfahan - several hours later

Gunduz gripped her coffee cup so tightly that her hands were going numb. “Are…you…frakking…kidding me. As if things weren’t bad enough already, now we have to deal with frakking SMALLPOX?!”

“We haven’t been able to confirm it’s smallpox yet,” Shayan said.

“Is it the Pesah variant?”

“We don’t know. Nobody’s in any position to send a team to check.”

Gunduz downed her coffee again. I don’t care if I frakking overdose from the caffeine at this point. “How bad is the outbreak of this contagion-that-is-probably-smallpox-but-anyone-who-can-confirm-it-is-dead-or-busy?”

“About a couple thousand infections in Atoc’s army reported so far,” Shayan said, “A couple hundred scattered reports from civilians up and down the coast between Tejas City and Cuscowilla, primarily clustered in the Mississippi Delta and eastern Tejas regions. That’s just self-reporting. The actual number could be much higher. We wouldn’t know without the proper tests.”

Gunduz took a deep breath. She carefully set down her mug and crossed her arms. She retreated into her mind, thinking of how to best approach this new problem. The researchers at Sankore told me smallpox symptoms generally start appearing within one or two weeks, which would mean Atoc and his men were infected around the middle of the month. Or…around the same time as the chemical attack he reported. Maybe that’s where the infection originated. Chemical attacks are one thing, but bioweapons are far more dangerous. They have the tendency to not work exactly like you want. This could threaten all of the gains we’ve made in the Eimericas. That blockade of the Panama Canal? Broken. The front line in Kleinvenedig? Shattered. Tejas City? The Crusaders will take it back again. Frak, frak, frak. It could even spread to Eurasia, and then we’d be really frakked. Has Jerusalem lost its mind? I’d say no, if only because it never had one to begin with.

“An update,” Shayan said.

“What is it now?”

“Some reports are coming in from the municipal authorities in Markland, Jinshan, Tenochtitlan, and Cusco. At least, whatever municipal authorities are left. Some civilians there claim they’ve found smallpox lesions on their mouths and throats.”

Gunduz’s face paled as much as her hands. “Jerusalem spread this contagion-that-is-probably-smallpox farther than we initially thought. Targeting the major Eimerican capitals. It has to be Pesah.”

“We don’t know if it’s Pesah or regular smallpox.”

“Regular or not, we consider it smallpox. Lock down the borders. Prohibit all nonessential travel in and out of Persia. Begin setting up testing sites and quarantine zones to screen anybody coming into Persia. We may not have any infections yet, but I’m not going to wait until we do. Eventually, that outbreak will come for us, and we have to be ready.”

“Of course, ma’am, I’ll notify the relevant authorities.”

“Also, send this information out to all of our neighbors and anybody else we can contact. They have to know.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“And what’s the status on the vaccine?”

“Sankore’s still working on it. They’re close, but not there yet.”

“Frak. This is bad.”

“What about Operation Huma?”

Gunduz shrugged. “What about the invasion?”

“Shouldn’t we, you know, postpone it? Until this whole situation is resolved?”

“No, we can’t stop now,” Gunduz said, “I know it’ll be dangerous. I know war can spread disease very well. But smallpox hasn’t hit us yet. The enemy expects us to overreact and back down. But we won’t. Shayan, can you please tell me how many of the troops we’ve assigned to Huma have requested reassignment, in light of this news?”

Shayan checked his papers. “Uh…7, ma’am.”

“Our soldiers get it,” Gunduz said, “We have a singular opportunity to strike back at Jerusalem now, thanks to the openings Konstantinov and Börte gave us. None of us are about to squander that opportunity. We are going to attack, and we are going to frakking win, or die trying.”

“You know, I’m most concerned about that ‘die trying’ part.”

“Well, since you’re in charge, I have full confidence that won’t happen.”

The Persians and the exiles both want their revenge. I won’t deny them their revenge, even if an epidemic is about to start. Best I can do is prepare for the worst while continuing on as planned.

Operation Huma staging area, near the old Roman border

Gebhard stepped onto the stage. “Attention!”

All of the soldiers gathered in the clearing snapped to attention and saluted.

“As you were,” Gebhard said, “Please, take a seat.”

All of the soldiers sat.

“Today, we will be discussing the basics of Operation Huma: our initial goals, our primary objective, and the terrain and enemies we will be encountering. You all know Operation Huma—named after the Persian bird that’s roughly equivalent to the phoenix—” Willie, you’re explaining that one. “—as the invasion of Mesopotamia. That is correct. Two days from now, we will be crossing that border and entering Jerusalem.”

He heard several cheers, for mentioning the border crossing, and boos, for Jerusalem.

“I know you’re all excited. But we can’t be too hasty. The enemy is strong, and the terrain is well defended. The border region is very hilly and dry. There are a few scattered groves here and there, but they won’t provide effective cover. So our strategy will be to blitz the border.”

An old projector flickered to life, casting a map of the border on the wall. “This is the border. We will split our forces and attack the border on three fronts: northern, central, and southern. The enemy expects us to take standard roadways, but only divisions who cannot drive off-road or be flown in will take them. The rest will take other paths to flank the defenses and neutralize them. Once we are in enemy territory, we will secure footholds west of the border. The three groups will split further into smaller units designed for mobility and self-sufficiency. As the Russians and Mongols have taught us, we must be able to live off the land and sustain ourselves without the need for traditional supply lines. Such supply lines will remain, but we can’t become dependent on them.” Sounds absolutely crazy, but apparently it works. “Each unit is to act on its own initiative, but all will share the same overarching objectives.” He changed slides to show a map of Mesopotamia. “These primary objectives are to capture the border cities of Hamadan, Khorramabad, and Kermanshah. After that, we will provide the spearhead for a larger offensive into Mesopotamia proper. A secondary force being readied in Tehran will invade along the Caspian coast, with the goal of reinforcing Börte and the Yavdians in the Caucasus. Meanwhile, Operation Huma will march west towards the Tigris River. The northern force will target Mosul, Erbil, and Kirkuk. The southern force will prioritize the capture of Basra and Kuwait. And finally, the central force will take Baghdad, the old provincial capital.”

The soldiers cheered again.

“Once all of these cities are liberated…well, let’s worry about that once we get there. But we will have dealt a serious blow to Jerusalem, if not in blood then in spirit. I know we can do this. I know you all can pull this off. You’ve trained for this. You’re ready for this. We’ve pulled off miracles before. The very survival of the old Heer is the very embodiment of that. It’s time we rose to the occasion. It’s time we return to our homes and take them back!”

The soldiers cheered even louder and pumped their fists into the air.

“I’m not going to deny it, though. This operation is very dangerous. The enemy will have the advantage of fighting on what they consider their home terrain. They have powerful weapons at their disposal. Check your briefings for details on what kind of weapons you may encounter and how to neutralize them. And you’ve all heard the reports of the contagion spreading in North Eimerica. This battlefield will be unlike anything we’ve ever faced before. So I’m offering you one last chance to opt out of this operation. It will not reflect on your record. You will not be disciplined in any way. You can request reassignment of any kind, within reason. It is your choice.”

Nobody budged. For a whole minute, Gebhard remained quiet, waiting in case anybody wanted to take him up on his offer. But nobody did.

“You know, I’m a little surprised. I thought some of you would’ve left. I wouldn’t have held it against you. But…I guess I have much less paperwork to handle now.” He laughed. “I really appreciate your dedication. I couldn’t be more honored to command brave soldiers like you. Together, there is nothing we can’t overcome.”

After the briefing, Gebhard returned to his office to begin packing. Camp had to be dismantled by tomorrow afternoon. They would begin marching towards the border at night. And hopefully, when the sun rose in two days, they would be over the border and in Mesopotamia.

“Sir.”

Gebhard blinked and noticed someone else was in his office. “Corporal Mala? What are you doing here?”

Leyla slowly saluted as best as she could. Her arm stopped a foot from her head, looking more like she was waving hello. “I’m reporting for duty as your new military angebracht.”

Angebracht?” Military attachment? I remember when I was an angebracht in India in the ‘90s. I think I was also technically one for Ollin when we were in Mexico. “Who signed the order?”

“Personal request from Bayezid himself.”

The Padishah himself? Why would he—oh. “Bayezid wants to be able to say he contributed at the officers’ level.”

“Perhaps,” Leyla said.

Using Leyla just because she was probably the first Turkish soldier who came to mind after traveling with me and Wilhelmina. “You know you don’t have to accept the post in your current condition. I can have you transferred by tomorrow morning—”

“With all due respect, sir, I’d prefer not,” Leyla said.

“You’d…actually want to be my angebracht?”

“It would be an honor, sir,” Leyla said.

“This is just because of the Liberation Legion, isn’t it?” More specifically, Gulichi.

“I know I have personal ties to the Liberation Legion, but I assure you, I arrived at this decision independently of that. I’m sure you remember Jerusalem killed my squad all those weeks ago.”

Gebhard nodded. “So you want to avenge them.” We all have someone we want to avenge. Except me. All I have is Edmund. So you could say it’s the opposite of vengeance. You could say it’s like…knocking some sense into him. As brothers tend to do.

“Yes.”

“And you aren’t cleared for combat, so you settled for a role in which you could still contribute.”

“Yes.”

“Even if that meant being the Padishah’s PR prop.”

Leyla scoffed. “I’m no more a prop in his game than any other Turk here. I don’t mind. I want to help. As long as I’m paid.”

I don’t think even I’m paid well, though. I’ll have to ask Shayan how much he makes when he gets here tomorrow.

“Yeah…about your salary…I’ll have to get back to you on that. Anyways, is that all?”

“That’s all, sir.”

“You’re not going to request reassignment?”

“No, sir.”

“Well, then, welcome to my staff, Corporal Mala. I look forward to working with you.” Gebhard shook her hand.

“Again, it’s an honor, General.” Leyla tried saluting again. “Let’s get out there and kick some Crusader butt!”

• 3Like
Reactions:
And so it begins. All I can say is "Gott mit uns" because our heroes will need it.

Gunduz downed her coffee again. I don’t care if I frakking overdose from the caffeine at this point.
I fell like everyone has had moments like that Gunduz.

This could threaten all of the gains we’ve made in the Eimericas. That blockade of the Panama Canal? Broken. The front line in Kleinvenedig? Shattered. Tejas City? The Crusaders will take it back again.
At this point I am still rooting for the Eimericas since they are on of the few powers that can beat Jerusalem that still aspire to democratic principles.

Has Jerusalem lost its mind? I’d say no, if only because it never had one to begin with.
I think the jury is still out on that.

“Regular or not, we consider it smallpox. Lock down the borders. Prohibit all nonessential travel in and out of Persia. Begin setting up testing sites and quarantine zones to screen anybody coming into Persia. We may not have any infections yet, but I’m not going to wait until we do. Eventually, that outbreak will come for us, and we have to be ready.”
It makes me wonder if this Smallpox event will be TTL version of a certain virus that we all know about from OTL's 2020? However I do remember in one of the recent updates (I think it was in on of the "The Regency (Part 3)" updates) that that virus still happened in TTL?

“You know, I’m most concerned about that ‘die trying’ part.”
Yea I do not have high hopes for this going well and if it does then I foresee a disaster following it in were all of our progress is reversed again.

With three invasions of Jerusalem’s heartland happeing at the same time, it seems like Schengen has the potential to make some real progress for a while. However, I feel like Jerusalem’s sheer size means that Schengen will only have so much time to make advances before Jerusalem counterattacks or China makes significant moves, or millions die from Pesah.

And so it begins. All I can say is "Gott mit uns" because our heroes will need it.
Unfortunately that's now a committee slogan...
I fell like everyone has had moments like that Gunduz.
Especially in these tines.
At this point I am still rooting for the Eimericas since they are on of the few powers that can beat Jerusalem that still aspire to democratic principles.
Indeed. The Eimerican Federation is the only non-authoritarian power that can match Jerusalem in industry and military strength. At least for now.
I think the jury is still out on that.
Yes.
It makes me wonder if this Smallpox event will be TTL version of a certain virus that we all know about from OTL's 2020? However I do remember in one of the recent updates (I think it was in on of the "The Regency (Part 3)" updates) that that virus still happened in TTL?
No, I don't intend to make Covid parallels with smallpox. They're two very different diseases spreading under very different circumstances.

That was more of an easter egg. I didn't intend for it to actually be Covid-19, just a coronavirus (which is a larger group).
Yea I do not have high hopes for this going well and if it does then I foresee a disaster following it in were all of our progress is reversed again.
Jerusalem still has more nukes...
With three invasions of Jerusalem’s heartland happeing at the same time, it seems like Schengen has the potential to make some real progress for a while. However, I feel like Jerusalem’s sheer size means that Schengen will only have so much time to make advances before Jerusalem counterattacks or China makes significant moves, or millions die from Pesah.
Funny enough, Konstantinov has barely crossed the border into Prussia since he keeps getting pulled back to help defend Livonia.

Everyone's operating on limited time. There is a lot that can and will change in the next 2-3 months.

Better they notice the smallpox now than later. Here's hoping Leyla can make a difference.