The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, his Annionaverse counterpart lived and reigned for quite a long time in a not very peaceful time, about as long a reign as Saint Wilhelmina and TTL Franz Joesph I believed. And I’m pretty sure he fought on the front lines in some of his wars on Mars. Then again, Julian there wasn’t exactly a wholesome idealist and might‘ve been slightly crazy, through he did save some people on Earth.
Annionaverse Julius had the benefit of being the heir to the throne, on top of being a ruthless pragmatist who snuffed out the other survivor factions to reinforce his own power.
Anyways, yeah the new Roman government is shaping up pretty nicely, but it will need a new Otto and Adenauer that’s for sure. Wilhelmina’s loyalists have big shoes to fill and have their work cut out for them, both when it comes to defeating Jerusalem and what comes next should they accomplish it, as I addressed in my last question.
The road ahead is long and dangerous, but it must be walked.
This does make me wonder if we will see how Kurtz is faring up now, even if its not well given that it’s Jerusalem holding him captive.
I think you mean Kresge. Kurtz was killed several years ago. As for Kresge...well, wait and see.

I think you mean Kresge. Kurtz was killed several years ago. As for Kresge...well, wait and see.
I was going to say. I thought Kurtz was killed during what was essentially Jahr Null after he refused to marry a child bride?
I don’t why I keep switching them up. Maybe it’s because Kurtz is a name that’s easier to spell and remember and it’s also somewhat similar looking. Also @GhostRider124 , you’re being confused with Kurt right now. Guess that’s sign of how big this cast is, even if these three characters are very distinct personality wise.

I was going to say. I thought Kurtz was killed during what was essentially Jahr Null after he refused to marry a child bride?
No, that's Kurt Moreau (without a Z), as CaptainAlvious said.
I don’t why I keep switching them up. Maybe it’s because Kurtz is a name that’s easier to spell and remember and it’s also somewhat similar looking. Also @GhostRider124 , you’re being confused with Kurt right now. Guess that’s sign of how big this cast is, even if these three characters are very distinct personality wise.
Yeah, I have an issue with my huge cast and similar names. I mentioned it before, but I had three four five characters named Wilhelm active at the same time before (angel Wilhelm, Kaiser Wilhelm IV, Wilhelm Jr., Wilhelm Kurtz, and Wilhelm "Willy" Tesla); I actually thought I only had 3 of those characters up until I thought about it while writing this. Of course, I never had them directly interacting with each other and I always refer to the second, fourth, and fifth Wilhelms as Wilhelm Karl, Kurtz, and Tesla (barring a few times around their introductions and slip-ups later on). Meanwhile, we have Anders, Anna, and Annie having very similar names (though that was intentional). Sometimes I actually do get confused by the many names I have. Like with the Khulan/Agnes situation where I forgot I already would be using the name Agnes. Ironically, I think this is because it's actually hard for me to come up with new names (like Wilhelm, Karl, Heinrich, and Friedrich) and have to do digging to get to more unique ones (Ulrich, Konrad, Helmut, Alwine, etc.). I actually renamed a couple gameplay characters in Chapter 465 a few times to find less generic/more appropriate names for them. Now that I think about it, that's kind of a flaw with my writing style in general, that my sentences all sound very similar.

The Roman Question

Ali Qapu Palace

Evening fell over Isfahan. A thick gray haze hung high up, with streaks of orange breaking through here and there. The sun itself was barely visible through the window, only a slightly luminous and gradually descending circle indicating it was sunset. In the palace, several individuals had gathered in the library, around an ancient mahogany table decorated with motifs of Faravahar, fire, and lions and suns. Large stacks of documents sat around the table, stamped with all manner of seals and national symbols. Gunduz found it difficult recognizing them all.

Imperial eagle—Willie’s family’s coat of arms. Imperial eagle clutching two olive branches—Roman civilian government. Imperial eagle perched on a sign reading SPQR—seal of the Imperial Diet. Imperial eagle carrying a sword and olive branch—Kaiserliche Heer. That I know from all the times I had to put up with Berlin’s antics. Two lions flanking a Faravahar—that’s my seal, probably. Think Alp Arslan adopted it during the Pagan Resurgence. Among the many dozens of emblems he used. He was all over the place. His ancestors were variously Khazar Jewish, Muslim, Nestorian, and Zoroastrian, so he had loads to choose from. There’s loads of other Faravahar variants. Some with fire motifs, some with varying numbers of lions and suns and lions and suns together. What does it say about me that I can recognize the important Roman seals but not my own?

“Uh, ma’am?” Julian waved a hand in front of her face.

Gunduz blinked. “What the frak is wrong with you?”

Julian was unfazed. “You seemed to be dozing off.”

Not again...I keep getting lost in my own train of thoughts. Been happening more lately.

“My apologies. Let’s move on. Now to discuss the legitimate Roman government.” She shuffled the papers in front of her authoritatively.

“Ye missed yerself yesterday, ma’am,” Izinchi said, “We settled the matter.”

“And for the fifth time, Senator, we have to get it down in frakking writing, or else it’s not official.” Gunduz crossed her arms. “Or were you not listening the last four times?”

“I mean, what could be simpler? Our right proper lassie Willie is Kaiser, Gebbers is MD, and I’m…well, guess I’m Chancellor now. Dinnae expect to become the big cheese when I started out, but since there’s no one else to sit at the desk, why not?”

“Well, for starters, I’m here.” August waved. “Theoretically, I could press my claim to the throne. I’m a Schweinfurt, which means I’m a Hohenzollern.”

“But yer naught gonna press the claim so?”

August shook his head as fast as he could. “God no! I don’t want the throne! Especially after what happened to the last two guys who sat on it. We have someone more suited for it.”

“He’s meaning someone else might press the claim on his behalf.” Samir clasped his hands. “We’ve seen this happen before. A couple years ago, Han recognized some random warlord state in Neurhomania as the legitimate government, while Wilhelmina was refusing to participate in the political process.”

Ah yes, the time Willie pulled the “self-proclaimed politically active but actually politically inactive millennial who lets the older generations continue frakking up the world because they don’t care enough” card. I don’t know why she couldn’t lead the government. I mean, it was right there, she even had the damn sword and the popular support and everything. She could’ve saved us so much frakking trouble. Also, why did I decide to bring this kid into our really important discussion?

Fire flared across Izinchi’s eyes. “Han capitalized on our divisions. He knew since we had no single leader to rally around, he could just elevate some random guy to split our ranks. He was right. That brought down our first government.”

“You fixed that in the second one,” Gunduz said.

“Willie still wasn’t officially one of us. Unofficial UN ambassador, she was. We only lucked out ’cause the other governments got wiped out.”

“You could say that again,” Julian said, his face turning somber.

“We must avoid that the third time around,” Gunduz said, “We need the new government in exile to have unquestionable and agreed upon legitimacy. No room for any rival governments to split your ranks again. With Wilhelmina in charge, this time fully official, there will be no disputing your claim.”

And it would conveniently skip the debate over civilian or military leadership. Something I know would certainly fragment the loyalist movement. Even now, some Kaiserliche Marine fleets in the Pacific are refusing to have anything to do with any mainland loyalist groups. They’re clashing with politicians in Adamshaven, when those idiots aren’t arguing with each other. They might just listen to old Four-Eyes, though.

Samir fidgeted in his seat. “Uh…there’s one problem with that.”

“Out with it.”

“She has agreed to take her throne. But she wants to be a purely…ceremonial monarch. As if this was Ryukyu.”

Gunduz almost spat out her coffee. Which would not have been good for the old table.

She—WHAT?! I get Ryukyu’s something of a meme these days, but has Willie GONE ABSOLUTELY MAD?!

All Gunduz could do was laugh. “Am I missing something? Is this how they tell jokes in Yavdi? No wonder you guys got invaded so many times.”

Samir’s expression didn’t change. “No. She’s dead serious. As am I.”

Gunduz’s smile disappeared.

Did all those nukes throw us into some parallel universe or something? Did the radiation get to Four-Eyes’ head? Does she even know the ramifications? In any case, I have to tread carefully.

“That…that certainly is an…interesting idea. Though I’m not sure if she’s thought it through. The whole point of a meritocracy is that there’s an impartial monarch making sure the meritocratic process goes as intended. If the monarchy has no power at all, then the only difference with a democratic monarchy is the selection process.”

I can understand ceremonial monarchs if they only rule a few small islands like Ryukyu. But a powerless monarch in charge of the largest and most powerful nation in the world? Madness!

“You’ll have to bring it up with her, then. But I’m pretty sure she won’t budge.”

Classic Willie. An idea pops into her head and she wants it, everyone else be damned. It’s like with that damned Final Fantasy VII she keeps annoying me about. It’s been 40 years!

“Does she not know what this would mean?”

Izinchi shook her head. “She knows what would happen should she not.”

“And what does that mean?”

“She wants to correct the one fatal flaw in the Ottonian system,” Julian said, “The monarchy itself. That’s how we got into this mess. The mad Kaiser was well within his rights to dismantle the system, and he did. Any future Kaiser could do the same thing.”

“What if the government goes wrong? She won’t be able to set it right again.”

“She won’t. But she doesn’t want to. She wants the people to do it themselves.”

Gunduz stared at the table, still in shock at the conversation she was hearing.

You’ve really outdone yourself this time, Willie. Never in the last forty years did I think you’d come up with THIS.

She put her head in her hands, and her fingers grabbed large clumps of her thick gray hair. The gray hair that was too much for her liking. “I can’t believe I’m having this conversation. I really can’t.”

August nodded. “None of us thought we’d discuss something like this in our lifetimes.”

But it just had to come up at some point, and it just HAD to have been right now.

“So what the frak do we do? Adamshaven isn’t going to take this well.”

“They’ll have t’ put up wi’ it.” Izinchi looked determined now. “Our Willie’s not backing down. She believes ’tis the only path forward t’ preserve both Reich ’n monarchy.”

I think she’s overreacting, but whatever.. We’re going in frakking circles.

Gunduz tugged on her hair harder and chugged the rest of her coffee in one go. “Well…this definitely doubled the amount of paperwork I have to fill out. But if Four-Eyes wants it…we’ll have to work around it. Frak, first Samarkand and now this.”

She shows up for the first time in decades and immediately pulls this. Frak me…she still thinks she can get away with it?

Well, she’s right.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Whether it leads to prosperity or ruin, it will be her legacy in history.

Reactions:
Whether it leads to prosperity or ruin, it will be her legacy in history.
For better or worse, this is how she'll be remembered, as either the empress who renewed the Reich or the one who ended it for good. If she wins, of course.
So does this mean that the Reich will become a Constitutional Monarchy like OTL's UK ?
Maybe. I'm still floating around ideas for what exactly Wilhelmina wants since at this point in her journey she's still focused on winning the war.

Unanswered

Downtown Isfahan

Sunset finished with an unceremonious dimming of gray and orange into blackness. Gradually, the city’s lights flickered on. Although Isfahan’s infrastructure had been spared the worst of November 2, Jerusalem’s targeting of power plants and energy infrastructure caused intermittent blackouts and entire blocks where power remained out for extended periods of time, either due to energy rationing or a lack of intact infrastructure. The result was a patchwork of light and darkness, like a chessboard played on the city. People made do with the darkness, though some tried to change that. As Alex’s group walked down the normally bustling Chaharbagh Avenue, he saw city workers manually lighting gas lamps in place of out of commission streetlights, in some weird throwback to the Imperial Century. He didn’t blame them. Chaharbagh Avenue was one of the most famous streets in Isfahan, patterned after Unter den Linden in Berlin. It was wide, with tree-lined walkways in between the northbound and southbound lanes. Before, it would be filled with tourists and stalls of street vendors. But after the war began, its crowds fled for the safety of home.

Tourism hasn’t really been a thing for years. Most tourists came from the Reich, China, and India, so…

“We’re here.” Alexandra stopped.

Alex heard Angelica and Tania catching their breath. To their right, a beautiful grove of trees extended into a small forest. The domes of two ornate buildings— a royal estates and pavilion—loomed over the trees. A reflecting pool stretched between the two buildings, its water reflecting the columns of the pavilion so it looked like there were forty columns instead of just twenty. Illumination came not from normal streetlights but rather torches. Flames flickered from silver-colored braziers designed in the style used by the Zoroastrian fire temples, and the water was illuminated with hues of orange and yellow.

“It’s beautiful,” Angelica said.

“I haven’t been in a city park in many years,” Tania said.

“This is where the restaurant is?”

“Oh no, Gunduz said to just pop into her estate.” Alexandra pointed at the royal estate. “Yeah, I’m just as confused.”

Thea chuckled. “I didn’t think Gunduz the Blunt of all people would be treating us to dinner.”

Alex looked at the royal estate. Then he thought about his work lately.

Argeiphontes is finally working, but we haven’t really tested it yet. Maybe Gunduz is just that excited we might finally have something to turn the tides. Both Argeiphontes and the princess.

“If it were any other person, I’d be very suspicious. But Gunduz doesn’t do things without a reason.”

“She’s probably rewarding us for finally getting something that works,” Thea said.

“Or she wants to entrap us.” Magnus shuddered. “And then torment me at the next demo.”

“I thought we changed whoever was doing the demos.”

“Yeah, we rotated it, but it’s my turn next. Goddamnit, not again…”

“Your Dola must hate you,” Tania said.

“And they like you?”

Tania looked away. “I wouldn’t say that. When we were coming here…” Her voice trailed off.

“We ran into a string of bad luck,” Angelica said, “Josh was close behind us. We managed to get the upper hand and use one of Tani’s bullets to temporarily paralyze him and his team, but when we went to kill them…all of our guns had jammed or ran out of ammo. We had to leave all of them alive.”

Alex sighed. “Talk about bad luck. If not for that, we wouldn’t have to worry about him.”

I wouldn’t have to worry.

“I suspect it started after we visited a certain town.”

“What town?”

Angelica and Tania looked at each other. Angelica winced. Tania clenched her fists.

“I’m sorry, was that a bad question?”

Angelica shook her head. “Non. It’s fine. It was called al-Dud.”

Alex and Alexandra stared at them. Alex’s jaw dropped.

Wait, that name sounds familiar.

“Did you say…al-Dud?!” he asked.

Oui. What about it?”

“My mom visited the place for one of her cases.”

“Yeah, I know. I read the report.”

“But you went there?”

“Not like we had a choice,” Tania said, “We were being chased by Josh, it was the only place they weren’t watching, so we thought we were outsmarting them.”

“Turns out there was a reason they didn’t touch that place.” Angelica explained her experiences in al-Dud. Alexandra and the others on the research team slowly processed the information. their faces gradually grimacing with horror as they comprehended what exactly had happened there.

My God, it’s just like how Mom described it, back then. A creepy, waking nightmare.

“So what you’re saying is…” Thea said. “There’s some sort of eldritch horror centered on that town, and anyone who goes in suffers an unimaginable fate.”

“Pretty much, yeah,” Angelica said.

“And this eldritch horror has killed or trapped a bunch of Crusaders for eternity.”

Oui.”

Alexandra crossed her arms. “I’m missing the reason why we should care.”

“I’m with Alexandra on this one,” Magnus said, “Those Crusaders are gone. We won’t have to worry about them again.”

I say we let them suffer.

Alex stopped himself for saying that.

This again.

This is a no-brainer. The Crusaders are the enemy. Even that kid Max she was talking about. All Crusaders are the enemy.

Some of them might have been forced into the army against their will. Or enslaved with their Panopticons. I know that is a possibility.

Come on, Alex, it’s right in front of you. The answer is so simple, but you can’t admit it. This is why they keep winning. We give them the benefit of the doubt. We try to treat them reasonably and nicely. But they don’t play by the rules. They aren’t limited by the rules. So when someone finds a wounded snake and nurses it back to health, of course the snake is going to kill them!

No, that’s not true. Just because our enemies are evil doesn’t mean we have to be as well.

Then you are weak!

We’ve had this conversation before.

Yet you keep blinding yourself to the truth. You would rather be roadkill.

I hate that analogy. There are no vultures and roadkill in this world, only people!

…Oh, poor Alex, whatever will we have to do with you?

I know what I want to do with you: get you out of my head. For good.

“Who was this Max person you mentioned?” Alex asked.

“A kid from Westphalia.” Tania took dogtags out of her pocket. “Here. These are the only things I could get from him.”

Alex turned the tags over in his hands, feeling every indentation and letter with his fingers.

This is all that’s left of this man. The only proof he ever existed is sitting in my hands.

I say toss it in the trash. He would’ve done the same for you.

“We don’t have the full story,” he said.

“What do you mean?” Magnus said.

A Crusader is a Crusader. What different are they from Josh?

“For all we know, he could’ve been drafted,” Alex said, “We’ve all heard the rumors. Alexandra, you also think the Panopticons can possibly be used to control their users, right?”

“It’s possible,” Alexandra said.

“So we don’t know if this Max chose to be in that town doing what he was doing. He could have been forced into it.”

No, go for the simplest explanation! It is almost always the right one.

“What are you getting at?” Angelica said.

“I’m saying he at least deserves to be remembered. We can’t pass judgment on him from just these dogtags alone.”

“What do you want us to do, then?”

“I say we hold on to these. And see if we can find anything about him.”

Magnus gave him a weird look. “You’re not seriously considering helping a Crusader?”

“Well, he’s dead,” Alex said, “It’s not like we’re helping Jerusalem. But it’s cruel to just erase him from history, especially when we don’t know who he really was. We don’t have the right to simply forget he existed.”

Angelica thought for a moment. “Well…I suppose you can handle that, then, if Tani’s okay with it.”

“It’s okay, keep it,” Tania said.

“You remember, because I won’t,” Magnus said.

“I don’t expect you to,” Alex said, “But as long as one person does, that will be enough.”

• 3Like
Reactions:
I do like these internal monologues from Alex as well as the update in general. It is another example that the "Bad Guys" might not all be bad and that it is difficult even for those on the "Good Side" to keep their morals when the (for lack of better words) "Bad Guys" seemingly have none.

I do like these internal monologues from Alex as well as the update in general. It is another example that the "Bad Guys" might not all be bad and that it is difficult even for those on the "Good Side" to keep their morals when the (for lack of better words) "Bad Guys" seemingly have none.
My intention was to make Josh and Alex foils of each other, showing that they both started out very similar but became who they are today due to the people around them. More importantly, they could easily have gone down each other's path if things were different.

Agreed, as we've seen with Josh's flashback, it could have been possible for him to go down a more lenial path than the destructive one he is in. Alas, this is where the world is in right now, only thing left to do is make sure the right people in the right place prevent total annihilation.

Even bad people deserve to be remembered, if only as a cautionary tale.

Agreed, as we've seen with Josh's flashback, it could have been possible for him to go down a more lenial path than the destructive one he is in. Alas, this is where the world is in right now, only thing left to do is make sure the right people in the right place prevent total annihilation.
If only he accepted Oskar's help, he could've been much better. But now, the best that can be done for him is to stop him from killing more people.
Even bad people deserve to be remembered, if only as a cautionary tale.
That Crusader could also be just as much of a victim as Alex is. He may not have had a choice in joining the Crusaders and fighting for Jerusalem, yet he was subjected to a fate worse than death for being made to support a cause he may not have believed in.

Rightful Owner

Downtown Isfahan - January 5, 8:00 AM

Wilhelmina’s car rolled to a stop in front of a large metal gate. It was adorned with a Faravahar motif. Two lion statues flanked it, while flaming braziers hung from the tops. That, combined with the significant military presence—an entire squad of heavily armed Artesh soldiers who had come with their own armored vehicles—gave Wilhelmina the impression this was either a military base or a government building. But the distant voices of children playing told her otherwise.

“Are we safe here?” Friedrich asked.

The driver showed his credentials to the soldiers. The Artesh then spent a few minutes checking the car for any suspicious items or modifications. One looked underneath, another checked the wheels, another scanned the engine, and another looked in the trunk. When that was done, the gates opened, and they proceeded inside.

Gunduz was never this paranoid back in the day. But then again, I’m not surprised she did this. What with the rumors of Shepherds of the Future abducting Persian children from schools and spiriting them away over the border. As if the committee couldn’t get even more evil, now they’re abducting children. If they’re already pulling this madness in Persia, I can’t imagine what they’re doing in Russia and Yavdi.

“I hope we’re safe,” Wilhelmina said.

“The bunker was like this,” Ilyana said.

Wilhelmina sighed.

You’re not going to let that one go, are you?

“Gunduz would send her grandkids here,” Wilhelmina replied.

If she had any. None of her kids married as young as Joseph did.

They got out of the car. Ilyana jumped out, backpack already prepared, while Friedrich took more time climbing out. His backpack was hastily sling over one shoulder. Wilhelmina held out a hand.

“Safety first,” she said.

Friedrich dutifully took her hand. Ilyana simply struck out on her own and left first. Wilhelmina sighed.

“When will she…never mind. Let’s go.” They entered the school. Children were already lining up in front of classrooms, chatting about all manner of topics in high-pitched voices.

“I haven’t been to school in so long,” Friedrich said.

“I haven’t been to school in a long time too!” Wilhelmina laughed. “It’s going to be okay.”

“You think?”

“New friends, new things to learn, and no more scary people.”

“You sure?”

“I promise, you’ll love school!”

Friedrich’s eyes lit up. “Really?”

“I have a good feeling about it. Now let’s get you to class.”

They soon arrived at Friedrich’s class. Ilyana had already lined up. “Too slow, Ricky!”

“It’s only a minute!”

The other kids looked first at the newcomers and then her. Some of them looked away, moving on to other topics, while others gave her a weird look.

It’s weirder when kids are watching me like that. Can they see my glasses like this? Or would they just think it’s a little dirty? Maybe I should get another pair.

“Well, I suppose I’ll leave you to it,” Wilhelmina said, “I have to get to work.”

“Are you coming back?” Friedrich said.

“Of course I am. But I have to do work first. Promise me you’ll behave?”

“I will.”

“I’m talking to you too, Ilyana.”

They had just caught up with Ilyana, and she apprehensively looked at Wilhelmina. “I will.”

Wilhelmina smiled. “Sounds good. Hope you make some friends!”

Ali Qapu - 9:00 PM

“Okay…so let me get this straight…” Izinchi said. “Ye have…a computer science degree?”

“Technically, yes,” Alexandra said., “My mom, technically also yes.”

“An ye, Thea?”

“Dual major with physics,” Thea said.

“Willie?”

“Honorary,” Wilhelmina said, “My mom had a real one, though. Back then, they considered it a ‘discipline for women’. By my time, that statement became very hard to believe.”

“Alex?”

“Not me, but my mom had something like it,” Alex said.

Okay, how the hell did we end up talking about my college days? I thought this was supposed to be a briefing about Argeiphontes.

“Now can we please get back on—” Wilhelmina began.

Izinchi cut her off. “Oi, why does everyone here have a computer science degree?!”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, Alexandra and her mom have one, you and your mom have one, Alex and his mom have one, and Thea has one too. Why are there so many computer scientists in this group?”

“Maybe because we’re scientists who need ample understanding of computers, among other things, to develop both the betharium reactor and Argeiphontes,” Alexandra said.

“Dinnae explain our lass Willie here.” Izinchi jabbed a thumb at Wilhelmina. “Or her auld ma, bless Lizzie’s heart.”

“I mean, it’s definitely a coincidence,” Thea said.

“A coincidence 60 years in the making,” Wilhelmina said.

“There any other lass here who has a computer science degree or equivalent I dinnae know about?” Izinchi said.

“I’m betting Angelica,” Alex said, “X-Division, and studied under my mom? She probably got the Athanatoi to pay for it too.”

“Nah, Tania’s more likely,” Alexandra said, “Admiral like her probably had to study it, like Higa did.”

“Higa played games and made Internet videos,” Alex said, “We watched his stuff as kids. Doesn’t seem the type to be building websites or writing computer viruses or whatever.”

“Who knows?” Izinchi said. “Maybe our Gunduz’s hiding a talent for computers as well.”

“Gunduz?” Wilhelmina laughed. “Definitely not her. She might like her video games, but she’s always been a writer or drawer first. A creative type.”

The type of person who does art commissions and stuff.

“Yeah, creative in her choice of curses,” Thea said.

But nowadays, she takes commissions for curses.

“Speaking of Gunduz, she’ll heap all sorts of curses on me when she finds out what this briefing’s become,” Wilhelmina said.

“Come on, Willie, lighten up!” Izinchi said. “We’ve got plenty of time to go over Argeiphontes.”

“Izinchi, the Liberation Legion and I are shipping out to Samarkand in two days, and we need the test Argeiphontes ready to go the day after we arrive.”

“Don’t worry, Alex and I are just doing the final test runs,” Thea said, “We should be ready to go tomorrow.”

“Not very reassuring to Gunduz. For her, tomorrow is another way of saying never.”

“Guess they don’t call her the Blunt for a reason,” Alexandra said.

“Now if only she had an actual blunt to go with that!” Thea said.

Alexandra gritted her teeth. “Thea, what the frak did I say…”

“Only to watch my words. Which I did.”

“And how did you watch your words?”

“By crafting the most appropriate pun for the occasion.” Thea slyly smirked.

Alexandra facepalmed. “You know what I mean…”

“Oi, I’ve a wee question, Alexandra,” Izinchi said.

“Ask away,” Alexandra said, “Not like I have anything better to do in this frakking disaster of a briefing…”

“Is that an original Walkman you got?”

Alexandra put her Walkman on the table. “I think.”

“Blimey!” Izinchi looked closely at the Walkman. “I can’t believe it! Last time I saw this was when I was a wee lass. Didn’t know blokes still hung onto them.”

“Well, it wasn’t all me,” Alexandra said, “Uh, Wilhelmina?”

“It was my mom’s,” Wilhelmina said, “Grandpa got it for her when they came out, and she passed it on to Alexandra’s mom after they escaped Vienna.”

“She passed it down to me eventually,” Alexandra said, “Actually, about that…”

“What do you mean?” Wilhelmina said.

“Well, I’ve been thinking about this for a while…but since we’ve met up again…” Alexandra pushed the Walkman across the table to Wilhelmina.

Wait, hold on.

“Um…” Wilhelmina said. “This is all so sudden.”

“Yeah, we’re literally halfway through the briefing,” Izinchi said.

“A briefing for you, which you derailed,” Alex said.

“I don’t think there were any rails to begin with,” Thea said, “Or even a train.”

“Anyways, I’ve been thinking that maybe the Walkman deserves to be with its proper owner now,” Alexandra said.

“What are you saying?” Wilhelmina said. “It belongs to you. Your mother gave it to you. It’s yours.”

“Before it was my mother’s, it was your mother’s, though. It’s time it went back to you.”

Wilhelmina shook her head. “Why, though? I don’t know why you’re suddenly doing this.”

“Because I have a feeling you’ll need it more than I do,” Alexandra said, “And in the weeks to come, it would be nice if you had something of your mother’s.”

She pushed it a little further. “Just…take it. Think about it.”

“I don’t think I can,” Wilhelmina said, “It may have belonged to my mom before, but it’s been yours or your mother’s for over fifty years. I never owned it.”

“I’m surprised it still works, too,” Thea said.

“And I insist on it,” Alexandra said, “As a way of repaying everything my family’s done for yours.”

“There is no debt,” Wilhelmina said, “Never has been.”

“I hate to admit this, especially to your face, but I haven’t been listening to it much lately.” Alexandra looked down. “My earliest memory of my mom—my real mom—was her giving me a tape from her Walkman, with all of her favorite songs, then me leaving in my adopted parents’ car. I know I went away for my own safety—X-Division must’ve been dangerous in those early years—but it was…tough for me. Every time I looked at the tape, or listened to a song on it, I remembered her. I remembered how she wasn’t with me. And when I finally met up with her again, when I graduated college, I saw the same Walkman still with her. I noticed she had it with her almost everywhere she went. I associated it with her. It was her. So when she pushed it into my hand and went to her death…it felt horrible for me. It was like I was being taken away from her a second time, this time forever. All those feelings from my childhood came back. Every time I look at the Walkman, I remember that moment, as if it happened yesterday. I remember her death. I remember how I failed her.”

“You didn’t fail her, though,” Wilhelmina said, “She was just trying to save you. That’s what parents do.”

I would know. Three times over. My parents, Franz, and Joseph.

“I know, and I keep trying to tell myself that,” Alexandra said, holding back tears, “But the feeling remains. I don’t think I’m going to use the Walkman much in the coming months. It’ll be better suited for you. My mother and I kept your mother’s original tape, too.”

“I don’t feel comfortable taking something that was never mine,” Wilhelmina said, “And something that only belonged to my mother over fifty years ago.”

“Just think of it as a gift from a friend.” Alexandra smiled. “It’s easier that way.”

Wilhelmina looked at the Walkman, trying not to focus on Alexandra’s expectant gaze. Then she slowly took the Walkman and put it in front of her. Although it had clearly been cleaned, repaired, and even somewhat upgraded over the years (with new features either tacked on or the inner workings made forwards compatible with newer innovations), something about the Walkman felt almost familiar.

Perhaps I listened to the Walkman when I was a baby. Or held it when I was two or three. I may never know now. But something like that leaves a lasting impression, even if I was too young to remember.

“Alright, alright,” she said, “I’ll take it. Thank you, Alexandra.”

Alexandra beamed. “No problem.”

“Okay, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, can we please get on with the briefing?” Alex said.

• 3Like
Reactions:
So with two days before the Argeiphontes is needed to prove itself. I feel like the song "The Final Countdown" from Europe would be a good song for this update.

Gunduz was never this paranoid back in the day. But then again, I’m not surprised she did this. What with the rumors of Shepherds of the Future abducting Persian children from schools and spiriting them away over the border. As if the committee couldn’t get even more evil, now they’re abducting children. If they’re already pulling this madness in Persia, I can’t imagine what they’re doing in Russia and Yavdi.
Wilhelmina please don't say "As if the committee couldn't get even more evil" because now I fear that they will be more evil in a future update.

“Gunduz?” Wilhelmina laughed. “Definitely not her. She might like her video games, but she’s always been a writer or drawer first. A creative type.”

The type of person who does art commissions and stuff.

“Yeah, creative in her choice of curses,” Thea said.

But nowadays, she takes commissions for curses.
And Gunduz does those commissions for free as well.

“Okay, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, can we please get on with the briefing?” Alex said.
I agree with Alex. On one hand I like the sentimental moment between Alexandra and Wilhelmina but as Wilhelmina said her and the Liberation Legion ship out in two days we really need the Argeiphontes finished by then.

Last edited:
It feels right for the Walkman to work its way back here.

Reactions:
So with two days before the Argeiphontes is needed to prove itself. I feel like the song "The Final Countdown" from Europe would be a good song for this update.
While appropriate, it feels more like the first countdown of many to come.
Wilhelmina please don't say "As if the committee couldn't get even more evil" because now I fear that they will be more evil in a future update.
nervous sweating
And Gunduz does those commissions for free as well.
But if she could charge people for it, she probably would.
I agree with Alex. On one hand I like the sentimental moment between Alexandra and Wilhelmina but as Wilhelmina said her and the Liberation Legion ship out in two days we really need the Argeiphontes finished by then.
I hope Thea pulls through with it.
Destiny works in strange ways.

Agreed, full circle and all, that thing's a relic of an era before all this madness, seems fitting for it to change owners over the years yet make it back to where it is now.

Agreed, full circle and all, that thing's a relic of an era before all this madness, seems fitting for it to change owners over the years yet make it back to where it is now.
Josh: "Are you sure about that?"