The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you. But I think you forgot to add the one on Western Europe on page 356. It should be at the top of that page.

It's added now.
Great work on this update @GhostRider124 , especially with Hispania's internal politics and the Italian breakdown. There is one thing I noticed and want to point out through regarding the history summary.

Much like with the story of Nero playing a fiddle while watching the burning of Rome, Rome salting Carthage, at least to the scale of making the land barren, is a popular misconception that started in the 19th century from what I can tell, as ancient primary sources don't mention it. Just thought I'd point that out so that we're aware of what's fact and what's myth.
For that matter, I also recommend adding a disclaimer regarding the stuff about Aeneas, Romulus and Remus, and the kings of Rome. The Aeneid was written to glorify and legitimize Octavian/Augustus and his dynasty. Romulus and Remus' story is the founding myth of Rome. The kings of Rome, while they seem to have existed from what I could tell in a quick look, have no concrete historical evidence since all of Rome's records were burned in 390 BCE, so we don't know how many kings there were or what any specific king did, while the first and last kings (Romulus and Tarquin the Proud) are wrapped up in legends, with the last king and the reason for his overthrow legitimizing the Republic and its anti-monarchy stance.

While I'm at it, I found some other stuff that could be improved on.
along with explorers like Kristoff Eimerich
I imagined he was German in origin, and from Germany, but I don't think I ever said it anywhere in the story (I searched the chapters he features in and it's not there). So you're technically not wrong when mentioning him as one of the Italian Renaissance figures. He could be a German in Italy too.
Even though events like the Sunset Invasion, Thirteenth Century Crisis, and Fifty Years’ War would devastate the Reich, peace would reign in the Province for a large part of its history under the Reich. The only conflict on Hispanian soil would be when a pretender contested Victoria III’s claim to the throne leading to Niketas Dalassenos sending an army to defeat the rebels.
For Hispania, I think you could mention how it remained loyal during the Maximist Wars and suffered some sporadic fighting, from what I remembered. I'm also pretty sure Hispania wasn't spared the chaos of the Anarchy and Fifty Years' War (even though I think you were intending to say it wasn't spared the Fifty Years' War here). I distinctly remember writing and screenshotting an event that spawns rebels in every single province at the end of the Anarchy, and the way I wrote my Fifty Years' War event pretty much guaranteed there was heresy spreading and Inquisition purging and rebel spawning happening in Hispania as well.
Eventually the Umayyads collapsed leading to Hispania becoming a patchwork of different kingdoms with the Christians in the north and the Muslims in the south.
You could also mention the Emirate/Caliphate of Cordoba and its relatively progressive tolerance policies that influenced Friedrich the Great's later tolerance. Like with Kristoff Eimerich, you're technically not making an error when using the word "Rückeroberung," but I never used it in my story. I'll let that one slide and might even use it in the 11th century rework.
any remaining Catholics being secluded to the city of Rome
Catholics in general from what I remember weren't confined to Rome, but they were forced to adopt Imperial Orthodoxy. The Pope, however, was exiled to Orvieto because the Patriarch of Rome moved into his residences.
When Rome finally fell in the 5th and 6th Centuries the Goths would split off into two groups with the western branch of the Visigoths settling in Hispania and later converting to Christianity.
I believe the split happened before the end of the western empire in the 5th century.
It was spelled "Jimena" at least in my story.
but not before a Norse Andalusian culture could develop
While not inaccurate, it feels a little awkward since the Scandinavians were only around in Hispania for probably 20 years at the most (I don't have the time to check the save file right now). And while in-game the culture did flip to Norse probably because of me abusing the console, internally I consider the cultural change as gradually happening over a period of 100-150 years after the Scandinavian invasion, the Restoration, and the Mending of the Schism, where the new empire brings together the Moors, Norse, Germans, and other Iberians in what could loosely be considered "Norse Andalusian."
descendants would go on to rule the city
From what I gathered, the kings of Rome were actually elected by the people in theory, but the Senate in practice picked the candidate before the people voted on him.

Fun fact, while I was looking this up, I learned the Roman/Western Roman Senate (which is distinct from the later Byzantine Senate) somehow survived into at least the early 7th century.
western half falling in 480 CE
480 CE marks the death of Julius Nepos, who only claimed to be the Western Emperor. Most historians consider 476, when Romulus Augustulus was deposed, as the "end" of the western empire.
import a lot of Britannian coal
While they could've done this, I think it would have been much easier and cheaper for the Italians to have imported coal from the Rhineland or the Alps.
Lombardi, a dialect of German
I was going to say Lombard was actually a Germanic language, but when I looked it up, it turns out it's a...Romance language? On a closer look, it seems the Lombardic language spoken by the 6th century Lombards is Germanic while the modern Lombard language is a Gallo-Romance one. I'm not sure what exactly their relation is, since it looks very complicated and theoretical and I barely understand it, but from what I gather the Lombardic language (Germanic) influenced the development of Lombard (the Romance language) without fully Germanizing it, since the Lombards didn't force their language on the locals. I take this to mean the "Lombard" culture from CK2 is actually supposed to represent the old Lombardic-speaking Lombard culture that settled in Italy in the 6th century and gradually assimilated with the local population, with that "Lombard" culture being almost gone by the early 11th century (neatly matching up with where it is at the game starts, most importantly for me in 1066). At this point, I don't know how to justify Friedrich the Great bringing back a culture/language that's been effectively dead for decades if not centuries by the time he got around to doing so (though then again, I did bring back freaking Zunism as a religion), so I'm just going to say that the "Lombard" he brought back was the Romance language that leads to modern Lombard, only with heavy medieval German influences. Still will probably be called a Romance language in-universe, and as in real life, it technically wouldn't be an Italian dialect either (although the real life Italian government does consider it as such). I think you can say it's a...Romance language based in Italy that has Germanic influences but isn't either Germanic or Italian? Guess I have a lot of alternate history linguistics to do in the 11th century rework. screams in whatever hellish mix of languages I imposed on 90% of Europe

That was way more confusing than I expected and opened up more questions than answers for me. Otherwise I don't see anything else that needs to be pointed out at right now.
Love the new Tianxia update btw, especially that New Carthage faction, seems like they are also one of the candidates capable of reforming the Reich aside from the Kingdom of Prussia.
Scipio, Cato the Elder, and the entire Roman Republic are spinning in their graves at the mere mention of Carthage reforming/becoming Rome.

I put in the recommended corrections and for the myth related parts I added (according to legend).

Love the new Tianxia update btw, especially that New Carthage faction, seems like they are also one of the candidates capable of reforming the Reich aside from the Kingdom of Prussia.
For New Carthage I was originally going for something like the French Republic/National France like in OTL's Kaiserreich or the Sudafrica Commonwealth (Based off of the Pacific States) that @CaptainAlvious did for Volkerschalt but it did morph into its own thing. I also love the irony.

Scipio, Cato the Elder, and the entire Roman Republic are spinning in their graves at the mere mention of Carthage reforming/becoming Rome.
That's one of the reasons that I love Alternate History. You sometimes get cursed things like Hitler being Walt Disney or Carthage helping the Romans restore the Empire.

Also Happy Hannibal noises. :D

That's one of the reasons that I love Alternate History. You sometimes get cursed things like Hitler being Walt Disney or Carthage helping the Romans restore the Empire.

Also Happy Hannibal noises. :D
Or Stalin effectively being the Pope and Gandhi being literally Hitler. I can't help but make these memes even if they make no sense, they're too hilarious.:p

Next thing you know, Tianxia Carthage will be bringing battle elephants across the Alps.

Miracle Bullet

Ali Qapu lab - January 4

Tania set the ammo box down on the table and opened it, revealing the bullets inside. It was still about half full. “Huh. Well…from the rate at which I was shooting these bad boys, I thought I’d have fewer left over by now.”

“As long as you saved at least one,” Thea said, “So, mind telling me how these work?”

Tania took out her rifle and put it on the table. “This is my rifle. Custom design, based on the old NM149. My aunt Jessica specifically made this one herself.”

Thea was amazed by the gun’s design. Her mouth hung half open as she bent down and inspected it up close.

Ah, you have an eye for beauty, Thea. My Dola were kind enough to leave the gun in good enough shape for today.

Thea gently ran a hand over the barrel. “The craftsmanship is exquisite. If it got you all the way through Jerusalem, it didn’t sacrifice function for form too. She did a good job.”

Thanks, Aunt Jessica.

“Aunt Jessica really knew her way around designing weapons. We also worked together on the bullets. They were based on a pen Aunt Olga carried around.”

“A pen?”

“Yeah, it was designed by Vladimir Putin himself in the 80s.”

“The action star? From The Matrix?” Thea dramatically flailed her arms, like she was falling backwards, and whistled bullet noises.

Should I tell her the story of how Aunt Olga once got the nickname Neo? Nah, maybe some other time.

“Yeah, him. The pen was pretty much a mini-EMP Olga could create whenever she wanted. We applied the same idea to these bullets.”

Thea picked up one of the bullets. “The electronics in this system…I didn’t expect something like this to have been invented in the 80s. I assume it triggers once the bullet has hit a target?”

“That’s the basic idea. Once the bullet impacts something, it sets off the EMP. Though I don’t think you need that trigger mechanism for what you want.”

“Right. But the miniaturization is something that I need. How’d Putin come up with the idea fifty years ago, when we had phones the size of bricks?”

“I don’t know, and he’s long dead.”

“Do you happen to have the original pen?”

“Aunt Olga always carried it around with her. Maybe we should call her up.”

Thea’s expression immediately turned sullen.

Oh no.

“What’s wrong?”

“You didn’t hear?”

“Hear what? I’ve been stuck in Jerusalem with almost no contact with the outside world since last May.”

...oh. OH.

Thea struggled to speak. “Your aunt…she was killed in Tsarberg after it fell. They…broadcast her…execution…everywhere.”

Tania’s mood immediately collapsed.

Aunt Olga? Gone? Just like that? No, that’s not right. No way she was killed that way.

“No. Impossible. She would’ve found a way. She always does.”

Thea shook her head. “I’m sorry.”

She’s telling the truth. I can feel it. I just don’t want to accept it. I want to cry. I really do. She’s gone, isn’t she? She has been gone for two months and I didn’t even know.

“I…I still can’t believe it. But I think we have other things to worry about first.”

“Are you sure? We can take a break. It’s okay to let it all out.” Thea put a hand on Tania’s shoulder.

That would be nice. But I can’t do that right now.

Tania shook her head. “Maybe later. Right now, we have a job to do.”

“If you’re okay with it.”

“Anyways, let’s work on translating the bullets’ electronics into what you need. How do you want to deliver the EMP? As a conventional EMP burst over a wide range? Or in close combat, like with a melee weapon?”

“I don’t know, probably something covert. Maybe a burst over a limited range, strong enough to briefly reset the systems, but weak enough so nobody would notice. We want outright neutralization to be something used as a last resort.”

“And you think my bullets can do that.”

“Yeah. They can generate a small EMP which would cause the system to reset, buying us time to inject our script. That would then allow us to redirect its communications to wherever we want, without Argus knowing.”

Tania understood. “We’d get the tactical and logistical advantage, not them.”

“The way they work is exactly what I need.”

Tania nodded. “Alright, got it. Here, let’s start with disassembling a bullet.”

She took the bullet out of Thea’s hand and took off the casing to reveal the electronics inside.

“Wonder how much it cost to make each one.”

“Not really that much, actually. Aunt Jessica and I bought materials at a local hardware store and handmade each one.”

We still needed the blueprints for Putin’s pen though, which definitely wasn’t cheap. At least Olga had access to the old KGB archives through the Sostoyaniye academy.

“Okay, let me rephrase that. How long did it take you to make all of them?”

“A month or so.”

“You’ve got a background in this stuff?”

“Not really. I focused on learning to shoot. Aunt Jessica picked it up as a hobby.”

Thea chuckled. “Imagine that, the world is saved from my evil brother’s terrifying inventions because of your aunt’s hobby.”

“Funny how that works. “We’ve got lots of work ahead of us, don’t we?”

“Yeah. Let’s get started. What is this part over here?” Thea pointed at a specific component.

“The electricity generator. The original pen relied on a battery to work, which Olga regularly switched out. Now, it isn’t practical to cram an entire battery into a bullet and waste one for each shot. Aunt Jessica figured out another way. Like with all rifles, each bullet I fire is made to spin so its trajectory doesn’t diverge too far.”

“Yeah, rifling. That’s why they’re called rifles.”

“You can create an electrical current by spinning a magnet around a wire, or a wire around a magnet. There is a magnet in the bullet to create such a current. Upon impact, the trigger mechanism directs the electronic component to release all of the gathered energy in a concentrated pulse, overwhelming the target electrical system. Similar to electromagnetic armor used on ships, tanks, and armored personnel carriers.”

“Smart…wish I came up with this.”

“I could teach you.”

“Isn’t that what you’re doing right now?”

“I suppose so.”

“But I do wish I figured this out years ago.”

“What do you mean?”

Thea hesitated for a moment, trying to find her words. “Uncle Willy would’ve been far more impressed if I’d built a miniaturized localized EMP mechanism…but I’m getting way ahead of myself. Next step would be to coordinate the EMP with the script injection.”

“I’m not an expert in that area.”

Thea shook her head. “Neither am I. I’m calling Magnus over.”

---

A few minutes later, Tania heard Magnus and Angelica’s voices. Angelica’s laugh echoed up and down the hallway. “Ha! I can’t believe she did that!”

“Oh, she was really boisterous back in the day. In high school, we pranked her girlfriend at the time by downloading a custom program onto her school computer which played—”

“Ahem.” Thea put her hands on her hips. “Mind telling me what you’re talking about?”

“Oh, you wouldn’t believe the coincidence!” Magnus said.

“Try me.”

“Get this. Angelica knows my cousin Sylvie!”

Angelica raised an eyebrow. “Sylvia Kvensen?”

“Yeah, Sylvie married her coworker!” Magnus said.

“That is a coincidence,” Tania said.

Okay Dola, very funny.

“I didn’t imagine Sylvia was that different before meeting Clara,” Angelica said.

“How so?” Tania said.

“Well, for starters, she was a huge prankster, as Magnus here was kind enough to tell me. I’ll have to bring it up when I show up for the house tour.”

“House tour?”

At a time like this?

“Back in Bremerhaven, I promised Clara I’d drop by her and Sylvia’s house in Oslo if I got out of there,” Angelica said.

“Looks like you’re going to make a—” Magnus began.

“—house call,” Thea finished.

Angelica and Tania facepalmed.

Godsdamnit Thea!

“Hey, I know. You said Sylvia was in Oslo, right? My mom lives in Stockholm. Maybe we should call them up.”

Magnus fidgeted in place. “Uh, about that…”

Oh, for frak’s sake. My Dola are playing pranks on me yet again.

“Please don’t tell me my mom’s also dead.”

“I don’t know if she’s dead.”

Tania felt relieved. “Oh, good.”

“Why do I feel like there’s a ‘but’ coming?” Angelica said.

“But I don’t know if she’s alive either, after what the committee did to Scandinavia.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Okay, what did I miss this time?”

“On December 18, Jerusalem fired chemical weapons into every major Scandinavian city. Including Oslo and Stockholm.”

“What kind of chemical weapons?”

Magnus looked sullen. He spoke slowly and deliberately, as if forcing himself to speak. “Pretty much every major chemical weapon in the book. That’s the last we heard from there. Internet and phone lines went down with the last Scandinavian satellites about a week later. We still get occasional updates from the emergency government in Tingvalla, but nothing that would confirm if they’re—”

“They’re alive,” Angelica interrupted.

“How would you know? I told you, they gassed the cities and pushed the survivors into the interior. There’s nobody to make contact with.”

“They had a news broadcast on when we were in quarantine. A news crew went up to one of the refugee camps in Tingvalla. They interviewed Clara and Sylvia on live TV.”

“Oh, so that’s why you were screaming from the next room over.”

“So we can assume they’re alive, at least when the crew was there.”

“So why not try calling the camp?”

“Not sure how we’d be able to contact the camp itself. You know, with the phone and Internet lines being down.”

“How’d they verify my rank and service, then? Surely the Scandinavian Admiralty is still intact. Or some other government institution with its own communications network. I’ll pull some strings.”

“Tania, I know it would be nice to reconnect with Angelica’s friend, but I need your help here, first.” Thea spoke calmly but with a hint of urgency.

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Time’s of the essence, yes. Thea always said they had trouble devising a working prototype. Gunduz’s patience is slowly running out. We have to get something working soon.

“Okay, I totally understand. Sorry, Angelica.”

“It’s fine. I can wait.”

“Hey, for what it’s worth, at least you know your friends are okay. For the longest time, I didn’t know what had happened to my aunt, until Thea here clued me in. Now I feel absolutely terrible about not being there to protect her, among other things.”

“I’m sorry for telling you,” Thea said.

“No, you don’t need to apologize. I needed that closure. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same of my own mom. I’ve heard literally nothing from her, and I doubt you’d know anything, Magnus.”

“I don’t know, sorry.”

“You still have hope. You still have people to go back to when this is all over. Me? All I get is death and uncertainty. And death is the better outcome of the two, frankly.”

“I lost my mother in Normandy. Eva in Bremerhaven. And everyone else I knew in that city. Angela and Anders left to finish their work, and I never saw them again. They’re all dead.”

“It’s no use dwelling on the dead. They’re dead. That much is certain. But Clara and Sylvia? They’re alive. You can look forward to seeing them. You can live for them. You promised to be there for a house tour, right? Well, work towards that.”

“You’re starting to sound like Julian.”

Tnaia shrugged. “Maybe I am. Alright, that’s enough dawdling. Thea, Magnus? Let’s get to work.”

“And me?”

“You can…I don’t know, maybe…energize the conversation?” Thea smiled wryly.

Magnus facepalmed. “We’re going to have to work on those puns, Thea.”

---

Alex absentmindedly sketched a new reactor design in his notebook. After the new arrivals and everything that had gone on so far today, they effectively had no time to continue testing the betharium reactor. Alexandra was too busy subjecting the princess to another round of ridiculous tests.

Lucky her. Decades from now, she’ll probably brag about how she shot paintball guns at the Kaiserin. Assuming we all survive that long and actually win this war. Meanwhile, I’m stuck doing…not much.

Suddenly, he sensed someone walking up to him. “Uh…Can I help you?”

Samir stopped. “Oh, sorry. I was just taking a look around.”

“Who are you?”

“Corporal Samir Tetchu. For the last few weeks, I was assigned to protect the princess.”

So this is Samir Tetchu. From what I heard, the guy really doesn’t like authority. Or at least terrible authority.

“Alex Humboldt-Frank.” Alex shook hands with him. “Well, you did a good job of that. Since she’s here now.”

“I take it you’re a researcher?”

“Yeah. Though I’m not doing much researching right now.”

“How’d you get into this line of work?”

Funny question. Kind of unclear. Did it start because I was doodling schematics in middle school? Or did it start when I went off to college? Or when I got my job? Or when…

Alex shrugged. “To be honest, I don’t really know. For a while, I didn’t think I’d be able to even get a job. No money, and my parents couldn’t help me too much—and I didn’t want to ask them. Then Thea ran me over on her moped.”

“She…ran you over?” Samir barely held back his laughter.

Why’d you have to share that? Now he’s never going to forget. Mom and Dad never stopped teasing me about that.

“Yeah, freak accident. I don’t know who was at fault, me for jaywalking or her for running me over—”

Samir’s answer came swiftly. “You jaywalked, Alex. You are definitely at fault.”

Well…he has a point. Still weird to hear it coming from him. What with the whole authority thing.

“…fair enough. You have experience with the cities?”

“Hey, not all of us Yavdians are stereotypical steppe nomads. We’ve got cities. I’m from Kursk.”

“What is—er, was—Kursk like? Unfortunately, I’ve only been around the Reich, back when we could travel.”

“Kursk had a long history. They say the city grew out of several villages in the later Saray era. We had people from every era. The original steppe nomads and the Finns who told us about their gods. The Jews with their one god. The Saray and Mongols who came after them. The Russians who gave the city its name. So we’ve got a lot of gers smack in the middle of town, mixed in with regular buildings of Finnish, Saray, Mongol, Russian, Roman, and Soviet designs. We’ve got all sorts of gods from three different peoples.”

That sounds very interesting. A city like that would look nothing like any Roman city. Wish I had visited when I could. And he said Jews settled there too? Wonder what their synagogues are like.

“Wow, the skyline must have been very confusing. And the temples too.”

Samir nodded. “For tourists, I would assume so. But I lived there all of my life. I found it a little nostalgic. Seeing how all those cultures came together and built such a weird but charming city is something I like to think fondly about. We all worked together to build Yavdi into what it is today. That dream will live on, even if Kursk itself is reduced to ashes.”

“A lot like Romanitas, I see.”

“Yes, in a way. But also different in another way. Romanitas, from what Wilhelmina tells me, came from all of the peoples of Europe coming together as equal citizens under the Kaisers. But our traditions come from the steppes. The first Yavdians were nomads. On the steppes, we couldn’t care who we were, or where we came from. We all had to do our part for everyone’s survival. In Genghis Khan’s empire, while he and his sons were away conquering, his mother, wife, daughters, and daughters-in-law handled administrative matters at home. Yavdi treated everyone equal because it had no choice but to do so. That is, until the Khagan adopted Russian norms and the Tsar-Khagan elevated himself above the rest of us.”

“Then the Soviets decided to conquer you. They had some weird ideas about equality.”

“And look how that turned out. Sometimes, I feel like it’s our lot to always get screwed over.”

“You’re one to talk, horse boy.” Billy walked over.

Samir crossed his arms. “Excuse me, but who are you?”

“Oh, sorry.” Billy held up his tattered and bloodstained police badge. “Billy Marks, Chief of the Alençon Police Department. This Yavdian kid was saying about how his people always got screwed over, but we French had it worse.”

I don’t like where this is going...

Samir shook his head. “Are you sure about that? The Saray got conquered by the Mongols, the Mongols turned on each other, and the Russians and Chinese both wanted to conquer us multiple times.”

“Well, we French have had to put up with a thousand years of German oppression.”

Samir’s voice rose. “Can it compare to all of the looting and cultural repression every invader brought upon us?”

“Did the invaders take your kids away to indoctrinate them in residential schools? Throw the parents in concentration camps? Force them onto reservations? Redlining? Police brutality?”

“We had gulags. Deportations. Our language banned. Our culture suppressed.”

“Soviets only did it for seventy years. We suffered for a thousand years.” Billy clenched his fists.

Okay, we’re going too far!

“Uh, I’m not sure if I should be stepping into this argument, but shouldn’t you two be agreeing?” Alex said.

Both Billy and Samir glared at him.

Frak. That look in their eyes means business. Choose your words carefully, Alex…

“Why, though? This boy doesn’t know anything about what we French suffered through!” Billy jabbed at Samir.

“And this old man has a persecution complex!” Samir shot back.

“If I have one, you have one too!”

Alex held up his hands. “Please! Can we stop arguing? Fact is, you both suffered!”

“You don’t understand, German!”

“You’ve never even left the old Reich, city boy!”

They’re out of line, but they’re kind of right.

“Chief Marks, fact is people other than the French could have also suffered in their own way! That in no way devalues what your people went through. That goes for you too, Samir. Calm down, both of you.”

The older cop and the younger soldier quieted down.

“Sorry, I’ve been on edge lately.” Billy relaxed a little.

Samir nodded. “I suppose I was being rash. But yes, we do have a lot in common.”

“What are you going to do now?” Billy asked.

“I think I’ll get some rest in Isfahan, before I report to Remmele’s barracks. I really need it.”

“Same here. And you, Alex?”

“I’ll wait for my fianceé to finish her work.”

“Finish what?” Alex noticed Thea and Tania weren’t holed up in the lab anymore.

“Oh, hey, Thea. How long were you there?”

“Long enough to hear it all. You could say things were quite...”

Magnus ran into the room, panting heavily. He was out of breath. “Thea, I swear to God, you better stop.”

Playing along, Alex changed the subject. “So, how goes Argeiphontes?”

Thea suddenly kissed Alex. “IT WORKS!”

Alex struggled to speak. “Wait—mmmph—it—ngh—really?”

“YES, YES IT DOES!” Thea broke off and ran over to a table, where Tania had set down a prototype.

Thea held up a Panopticon emulator. Its light was on. “Observe!” Her voice was full of excitement. She pushed a button on the prototype, and the emulator’s light turned off. Lines of debug messages began scrolling down a computer screen attached to the emulator. After a few seconds, the output slowed down and stopped, with the last line reading:

Argeiphontes.exe has been uploaded: now relaying user data

Tania put another computer on the table, showing more messages appearing onscreen. It was data being read from the emulator.

I can’t believe it. It…actually works. After two months…we finally got it.

“Oh…my…god! We got it!”

“Finally, a breakthrough! We can finally stand up to Argus.”

“And Josh.”

“And Gunduz,” Magnus said, “But still I’m not talking to her again!”

Don’t think you have a choice, Magnus.

“How soon can we get these out there?” Samir said.

“Don’t know, depends on how fast Gunduz and the military move,” Thea said, “Hopefully soon.”

Alex hugged Thea closely. “Thanks, Thea. We couldn’t have done it without you.”

Thea blushed. “Aw, thanks, Alex.”

---

I’m not sure if I got the science behind the bullet right. I doubt it would actually work in real life.

Also, I'm not sorry for you know what.;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
So now we have a working prototype of the Panopticon emulator. Even though it is still likely in a very early stage I am glad it is finally working.

“The electricity generator. The original pen relied on a battery to work, which Olga regularly switched out. Now, it isn’t practical to cram an entire battery into a bullet and waste one for each shot. Aunt Jessica figured out another way. Like with all rifles, each bullet I fire is made to spin so its trajectory doesn’t diverge too far.”

“Yeah, rifling. That’s why they’re called rifles.”

“You can create an electrical current by spinning a magnet around a wire, or a wire around a magnet. There is a magnet in the bullet to create such a current. Upon impact, the trigger mechanism directs the electronic component to release all of the gathered energy in a concentrated pulse, overwhelming the target electrical system. Similar to electromagnetic armor used on ships, tanks, and armored personnel carriers.”
Correct me if I am wrong but for some reason this sounds similar to how a Railgun would work.

“Oh, she was really boisterous back in the day. In high school, we pranked her girlfriend at the time by downloading a custom program onto her school computer which played—”
Darn you. I was 99% sure that it was going to be that but I still clicked it. Although every time I did click the link I got an ad before it so technically I did not get Rick Rolled.

Suddenly, he sensed someone walking up to him. “Uh…Can I help you?”

Samir stopped. “Oh, sorry. I was just taking a look around.”

“Who are you?”

“Corporal Samir Tetchu. For the last few weeks, I was assigned to protect the princess.”

So this is Samir Tetchu. From what I heard, the guy really doesn’t like authority. Or at least terrible authority.

“Alex Humboldt-Frank.” Alex shook hands with him. “Well, you did a good job of that. Since she’s here now.”

“I take it you’re a researcher?”

“Yeah. Though I’m not doing much researching right now.”

“How’d you get into this line of work?”

Funny question. Kind of unclear. Did it start because I was doodling schematics in middle school? Or did it start when I went off to college? Or when I got my job? Or when…

Alex shrugged. “To be honest, I don’t really know. For a while, I didn’t think I’d be able to even get a job. No money, and my parents couldn’t help me too much—and I didn’t want to ask them. Then Thea ran me over on her moped.”

“She…ran you over?” Samir barely held back his laughter.

Why’d you have to share that? Now he’s never going to forget. Mom and Dad never stopped teasing me about that.

“Yeah, freak accident. I don’t know who was at fault, me for jaywalking or her for running me over—”

Samir’s answer came swiftly. “You jaywalked, Alex. You are definitely at fault.”

Well…he has a point. Still weird to hear it coming from him. What with the whole authority thing.

“…fair enough. You have experience with the cities?”

“Hey, not all of us Yavdians are stereotypical steppe nomads. We’ve got cities. I’m from Kursk.”

“What is—er, was—Kursk like? Unfortunately, I’ve only been around the Reich, back when we could travel.”

“Kursk had a long history. They say the city grew out of several villages in the later Saray era. We had people from every era. The original steppe nomads and the Finns who told us about their gods. The Jews with their one god. The Saray and Mongols who came after them. The Russians who gave the city its name. So we’ve got a lot of gers smack in the middle of town, mixed in with regular buildings of Finnish, Saray, Mongol, Russian, Roman, and Soviet designs. We’ve got all sorts of gods from three different peoples.”

That sounds very interesting. A city like that would look nothing like any Roman city. Wish I had visited when I could. And he said Jews settled there too? Wonder what their synagogues are like.

“Wow, the skyline must have been very confusing. And the temples too.”

Samir nodded. “For tourists, I would assume so. But I lived there all of my life. I found it a little nostalgic. Seeing how all those cultures came together and built such a weird but charming city is something I like to think fondly about. We all worked together to build Yavdi into what it is today. That dream will live on, even if Kursk itself is reduced to ashes.”

“A lot like Romanitas, I see.”

“Yes, in a way. But also different in another way. Romanitas, from what Wilhelmina tells me, came from all of the peoples of Europe coming together as equal citizens under the Kaisers. But our traditions come from the steppes. The first Yavdians were nomads. On the steppes, we couldn’t care who we were, or where we came from. We all had to do our part for everyone’s survival. In Genghis Khan’s empire, while he and his sons were away conquering, his mother, wife, daughters, and daughters-in-law handled administrative matters at home. Yavdi treated everyone equal because it had no choice but to do so. That is, until the Khagan adopted Russian norms and the Tsar-Khagan elevated himself above the rest of us.”

“Then the Soviets decided to conquer you. They had some weird ideas about equality.”

“And look how that turned out. Sometimes, I feel like it’s our lot to always get screwed over.”
I am glad that we can still have something like the Study Session parts this time with Alex and Simar even though Wilhelmina is training.

“You’re one to talk, horse boy.” Billy walked over.

Samir crossed his arms. “Excuse me, but who are you?”

“Oh, sorry.” Billy held up his tattered and bloodstained police badge. “Billy Marks, Chief of the Alençon Police Department. This Yavdian kid was saying about how his people always got screwed over, but we French had it worse.”

I don’t like where this is going...

Samir shook his head. “Are you sure about that? The Saray got conquered by the Mongols, the Mongols turned on each other, and the Russians and Chinese both wanted to conquer us multiple times.”

“Well, we French have had to put up with a thousand years of German oppression.”

Samir’s voice rose. “Can it compare to all of the looting and cultural repression every invader brought upon us?”

“Did the invaders take your kids away to indoctrinate them in residential schools? Throw the parents in concentration camps? Force them onto reservations? Redlining? Police brutality?”

“We had gulags. Deportations. Our language banned. Our culture suppressed.”

“Soviets only did it for seventy years. We suffered for a thousand years.” Billy clenched his fists.

Okay, we’re going too far!

“Uh, I’m not sure if I should be stepping into this argument, but shouldn’t you two be agreeing?” Alex said.

Both Billy and Samir glared at him.

Frak. That look in their eyes means business. Choose your words carefully, Alex…

“Why, though? This boy doesn’t know anything about what we French suffered through!” Billy jabbed at Samir.

“And this old man has a persecution complex!” Samir shot back.

“If I have one, you have one too!”

Alex held up his hands. “Please! Can we stop arguing? Fact is, you both suffered!”

“You don’t understand, German!”

“You’ve never even left the old Reich, city boy!”

They’re out of line, but they’re kind of right.

“Chief Marks, fact is people other than the French could have also suffered in their own way! That in no way devalues what your people went through. That goes for you too, Samir. Calm down, both of you.”

The older cop and the younger soldier quieted down.

“Sorry, I’ve been on edge lately.” Billy relaxed a little.

Samir nodded. “I suppose I was being rash. But yes, we do have a lot in common.”

“What are you going to do now?” Billy asked.

“I think I’ll get some rest in Isfahan, before I report to Remmele’s barracks. I really need it.”

“Same here. And you, Alex?”

“I’ll wait for my fianceé to finish her work.”
Yea I did not like were that conversation was going between Billy and Simar either but thankfully Alex found out a way to calm things down. It goes to show that even with the little bit of light heartedness going around in the last few updates this is still a war so it makes since for there to be tension.

Also I agree with Alex in were just because one group in one part of the world has suffered that does not make the suffering of anyone else invalid. If anything I think it does a better job at highlighting the fact that while yes TTL as well as OTL can have some amazing moments it can also have really bad ones as well.

So now we have a working prototype of the Panopticon emulator. Even though it is still likely in a very early stage I am glad it is finally working.
Yes indeed.
Correct me if I am wrong but for some reason this sounds similar to how a Railgun would work.
Not quite. A railgun uses electromagnetism to accelerate the projectile and effectively melt it into plasma. Tania's gun is still a regular gun relying on gunpowder to accelerate a bullet, and the bullet is still a regular bullet that does bullet stuff at bullet speeds, but it can also generate an EMP. You could say they rely on the same principle but do different things with it.

Funny enough, I am currently writing about railguns in Chapter 465 at this very moment, but that was as a description of how SVI used to work in comparison to other ground-based weapons systems that may feature in the chapter...
Darn you. I was 99% sure that it was going to be that but I still clicked it. Although every time I did click the link I got an ad before it so technically I did not get Rick Rolled.
Unfortunately, they monetized that link, so it kind of ruins it. Didn't want to find another link since this is the iconic one. still would work for anyone with an ad blocker
I am glad that we can still have something like the Study Session parts this time with Alex and Simar even though Wilhelmina is training.
I have a lot of these conversations coming up in the immediate future.
Yea I did not like were that conversation was going between Billy and Simar either but thankfully Alex found out a way to calm things down. It goes to show that even with the little bit of light heartedness going around in the last few updates this is still a war so it makes since for there to be tension.
All these people who barely survived Jerusalem in various ways still have to process what they've gone through. Wouldn't make sense if they all immediately got along with each other.
Also I agree with Alex in were just because one group in one part of the world has suffered that does not make the suffering of anyone else invalid. If anything I think it does a better job at highlighting the fact that while yes TTL as well as OTL can have some amazing moments it can also have really bad ones as well.
Many years ago here, I used to say you can't compare different timelines because they just are what they are. I later realized that this is very tone deaf because there are obviously really terrible timelines by our perspective (Nazi victories, TNO, and so on). Basically, timelines are complicated. Histories are complicated. There is good and bad in every timeline, but what matters is how much of each is present.

Ah, no need to compare your miseries. Let it bring together, not make a competition out of it.

But huzzah! With that prototype, things are heating up.

As for... THAT... I knew just from it being linked where that was going.

Ah, no need to compare your miseries. Let it bring together, not make a competition out of it.

But huzzah! With that prototype, things are heating up.

As for... THAT... I knew just from it being linked where that was going.
Making a competition out of your miseries is exactly what Jerusalem wants. That way, you both harm your own allies and can't focus on the real enemy.

Funny enough, I am currently writing about railguns in Chapter 465 at this very moment, but that was as a description of how SVI used to work in comparison to other ground-based weapons systems that may feature in the chapter...
Here is a thought. If the world dose end up like The Expanse like you alluded to a while ago then maybe SVI could be the railgun's that we see in Season 3 Ep. 3 of the show?

Here is a thought. If the world dose end up like The Expanse like you alluded to a while ago then maybe SVI could be the railgun's that we see in Season 3 Ep. 3 of the show?

That would mean SVI is rebuilt from scratch. China destroyed the whole network, and if Jerusalem falls, I doubt any country would allow the new regime to rebuild it. Still, some other orbital railgun network could be a possibility far in the future.

Making a competition out of your miseries is exactly what Jerusalem wants. That way, you both harm your own allies and can't focus on the real enemy.
Reminds me of a comic I read once, wish I remembered its source. A kid is crying and his mother says "Stop whining, there are kids who have it much worse than you!" Then the mother is upset and someone else tells her "Get over it, there are people who'd kill to be in your position!" Then that guy is looking sad and someone else tells him "Suck it up, you don't know how good you have it!" There's this big montage of people saying things in that vein to each other. Finally, a scientist in a radiation suit is approaching a nuclear waste site. At the site is an elderly, armless, diseased, homeless man. The scientist tells the man: "Sir, we have determined that you are the most miserable person on Earth, and therefore the only one allowed to complain." And the man replies: "This is the happiest day of my life!"

I wonder who the most miserable person in TTL currently is?

Last edited:
Reminds me of a comic I read once, wish I remembered its source. A kid is crying and his mother says "Stop whining, there are kids who have it much worse than you!" Then the mother is upset and someone else tells her "Get over it, there are people who'd kill to be in your position!" Then that guy is looking sad and someone else tells him "Suck it up, you don't know how good you have it!" There's this big montage of people saying things in that vein to each other. Finally, a scientist in a radiation suit is approaching a nuclear waste site. At the site is an elderly, armless, diseased, homeless man. The scientist tells the man: "Sir, we have determined that you are the most miserable person on Earth, and therefore the only one allowed to complain." And the man replies: "This is the happiest day of my life!"

I wonder who the most miserable person in TTL currently is?
Probably a French, Russian, or Arab girl.

The Legacy of X-Division

Moshtagh Park Flower Garden

The garden was well maintained, for a city at war. Birds chirped in the trees. The wind rustled through the bushes. The sounds of traffic were distant. Alex and Thea sat on a bench overlooking the Zayandeh River. Angelica, Billy, Ruby, and Tania sat on the riverbank, just taking in the sights. Alexandra, Magnus, and Tania were at a nearby picnic table, eating doogh they bought at a food truck a block away.

“Nice to get out of the lab every now and then, isn’t it?” Thea said.

“Yeah, it is,” Alex said, “When was the last time we were in a park like this?”

“Kyparades Park? We didn’t have much time after we relocated to Damascus.”

“Kyparades…” A dark memory crossed his mind.

A body hanging from a crane. Protests in the streets of the Ostend. Drones shooting from above. A line of Argus’ men advancing in lockstep. Josh’s smugness.

“You’re under arrest.”

“Oskar.”

Thea realized what she had done. She put her hand on Alex’s. “Oh. I…I’m sorry.”

Alex’s eyes watered up. “I used to wish Oskar was still alive to see us. He would’ve liked you. But with how everything’s gone so far…I’m starting to think he was one of the lucky ones. He died before everything went to hell.”

“But he still died in a brutal and terrible way. Nobody should die like that.”

“In a way, he was spared from what happened afterward. He never had to live through Bloody Tuesday, the committee’s tyranny, Red Christmas, and this war. If he didn’t die there, he would have died an even worse death later on. Like how Rahul and Chris ended up. Their deaths couldn’t have been pretty.”

Oh God, where do I start with them? They were in the car right behind us, with Alexandra’s grandparents. We should’ve been in the clear. But something happened, and they crashed. I hope they died then and there. I shudder to imagine what would have happened if the mobs got them.

Alex clenched his fists. “Rahul and Chris were good people. Why did they get such horrible deaths? Why do good people end up with horrible fates? And why do bad people like Josh get rewarded and celebrated?”

Angelica shook her head, as if both agreeing and disagreeing at the same time. “That’s how life is. C’est la vie.”

“It must’ve been even worse for you in Bremerhaven and Alençon.”

Angelica nodded. “I lost count of how many people we lost in Bremerhaven. As for my hometown? I lost everyone. The whole town got massacred. They all died for the crime of being French.”

Thea looked down at the grass. “I’m so sorry. My brother…he did all that. I’m partially at fault too.”

“Don’t blame yourself,” Billy said, “What your brother did is what he did. It does not reflect on you. His actions are his, and your actions are yours. Yes, even if you’re following orders. Ruby and I would know.”

“Chief, don’t beat yourself up over something that happened twenty years ago,” Angelica said.

Billy averted his eyes. “I still feel I haven’t atoned enough yet. You may have forgiven me, Angelica, but I doubt Alex and Alexandra and Tania will.”

“Huh?” Alexandra said, confused.

“What?” Alex said.

“What do you mean?” Tania said.

Billy looked away. “Seeing their faces, I recognized people I once knew. X-Division. Angela Hansen and Anders Humboldt helped me back in 1992.”

A light went off in Alexandra’s head. “I knew there was something familiar about Alençon. It was my mom’s first case.”

“And my dad’s too,” Alex said.

“I repaid their help…by joining Sentinel. Me and Ruby, we were Sentinel enforcers.”

Everyone stared at him and Ruby. Their expressions ranged from shock to anger.

Sentinel?! Chief Marks was Sentinel? How is he here then?

“Ruby, please tell me he’s joking,” Magnus said.

But Ruby nodded. “It’s true. We had no choice.”

Tears rolled down Billy’s cheeks. He struggled to speak, but words still came from his mouth, as if forced. “We could only follow our orders. I killed so many. So many whose only crime was being inconvenient to Sentinel. The worst part was…I thought it was the right thing to do. I thought I was saving the world. Turns out I was just a murderer. I almost killed Anders Humboldt and Angela Hansen a few times. Fought Diana Frank and Olga Kirova as well. Tormented Angelica and her mother in 2015 for helping X-Division.”

Not only that, but he has a history with all of our parents? And Tania’s aunt?

Ruby jumped in. She looked like she was in significant distress, but she still spoke. “I almost killed Annie Humboldt, when Angela Hansen and my own mom were looking after her. I was even ready to kill my own mom. I didn’t do it, but I still have nightmares of following through. Worst thing is, I felt like I wanted to do it. That she was the evil one. That she deserved to die, and it was my duty to kill her.”

The group sat quietly for what felt like forever, trying to process the revelation.

I can’t believe it. These two were enemies of X-Division. They served Sentinel. Tried to kill them. Enforce the conspiracy’s will on the world. They did all that. And quite possibly more.

Thea spoke up. “What matters is you feel remorse for it. That’s good. You realized what you did was wrong.”

Billy was unwavering. “But it was too late. We were with Sentinel for over 15 years. Our death counts went into the hundreds. My incident with Angelica was only the tip of the iceberg. I’m not sure if we can repent.”

“I think you’ve done a lot of that already by resisting the committee. In a way, the committee is like Sentinel, only less hidden.”

Ruby thought for a moment. “You have a point. But we still failed. Alençon and Perpignan are empty ruins. I can count the number of survivors from both towns on my own hands.”

“Face it, we all failed at some point. I failed to protect Eva Anniona in Bremerhaven.” Angelica winced as she said the name.

“I saw my mom die right in front of me.” Alexandra wiped away a tear.

Alex forced himself to speak, even if the memories were too painful. They had to know the truth. “I lost Chris and Rahul. Both of my parents. I don’t know where my uncle on my mom’s side is, nor do I know about my grandpa and aunts on my dad’s side. They’re all probably dead.”

Thea, meanwhile, had no trouble speaking. “My brother’s gone insane, so he’s dead to me, although I don’t mind. He’s no brother of mine.”

Yeah, that’s fair. I’d be shocked if you did mind.

That seemed to get through to Ruby, who nodded angrily. “Oh, like my own brother. Kurt Moreau. An Argus stooge. Probably working right under Theodor. Nartre.” She shook her fist and spat his name.

Thea chimed in as well. “Just another one of my brother’s disposable puppets. Like those mechanical drones of his.”

“I can’t contact my mom, and I know my aunt is dead now,” Tania said.

“And she was killed by Josh, of all people,“ Alex said.

Frakking Josh. The worst monster of them all.

Tania raised an eyebrow. “Josh?”

“An old bully from my middle school days. He joined Argus and went off the deep end. Killed my mom and probably my dad as well.”

It turned out almost everyone in their group had a history with Josh as well.

“Killed my mom too,” Alexandra said.

I know. I was there.

“Slaughtered my entire squad and got me fired from the Athanatoi,” Angelica said.

You too?

“Works on behalf of my brother. Pretty much his personal hitman at this point. Almost killed me.” Thea involuntarily shuddered as she recalled that.

I don’t know what I would’ve done if Josh killed Thea. Even if I did, I don’t know if I could’ve done anything.

“We would all have died if Olga hadn’t intervened when she did,” Magnus said, “He killed her too.”

Don’t remind me again...

Ruby took out a phone and played a video. “This is footage I recorded when we were crossing the border and got attacked by an Argus squad. Before Tania set off an EMP and stopped the recording, I got this.”

They crowded around the screen. The recording had been made at night, but they could still clearly see Josh’s face as he pursued the rebels on a motorcycle.

Why the frak is it always him?! Of all people to torment us, it just has to be him every time! It feels like the universe cursed me to have to suffer at his hands ever since middle school. Why can’t he just leave us all alone?!

Alex gritted his teeth and pounded the bench. “That’s him, alright. That motherfrakker even stole my mom’s motorcycle.”

And to add insult to injury, he steals a precious family heirloom! That thing’s been in our family for almost a hundred years! And now he’s using it too...murder and loot and brutalize people! It wasn’t enough for him to make me suffer, but he wants to destroy my family legacy too!

“And that…are those Olga’s gauntlets? The ones Aunt Jessica made for her?” Tania pointed at Josh’s arms.

Angelica shrugged. “I was too busy riding shotgun, and you’re one to talk, you were driving.”

“That guy took out a lot of our men on his own,” Billy said, “Damn. We all have a history with this guy.”

You could say that again. Also putting it very lightly.

Tania’s face hardened. “He killed Aunt Olga. He’s my enemy too.”

“He’s our enemy,” Thea said, “He’s tormented every single one of us for years.”

And I doubt he will stop anytime soon. Speaking of which...

“If he’s on the border, he’ll probably cross it soon,” Alex said, “Come after us here in Isfahan.”

“My brother will most likely send him when he and the committee learn the princess is in Isfahan,” Thea said.

I...oh. Frak.

“So, if we all came here, did we just...screw this city over?” Angelica said.

Thea shook her head. “Not necessarily.”

“What do you mean?”

Thea pointed at everyone. “Look, all of us are gathered in one place along with the princess.”

She looked at Alexandra. “Alexandra, you said the princess had some kind of supernatural abilities?”

Alexandra flipped through her notebook. “From what I can tell, yes. Her capabilities can’t be scientifically explained.”

“And Alex, Josh is obsessed with killing you. That’s why he took out all of X-Division. You have ties to every single agent. And through you, we are as well. We’re all targets.”

True.

“So you’re saying we should pack up and run again.” Magnus looked terrified.

Alexandra took his hand. “No. We know they’ll come. We can plan for it.”

Hein, are you crazy? Plan for an Argus attack?” Angelica looked incredulous.

Thea nodded. “It’s quite straightforward. Once the committee learns Wilhelmina is in Isfahan, they’ll send an army to kill her. Like they did in Tsarberg, logistics and strategy be damned.”

That is what happened in Tsarberg. The committee sent an army to rush there within a week. Made no sense, but somehow it still worked.

Alexandra flipped to another page in her notebook. “Wilhelmina told me when her hiding place in Yavdi was exposed, the regent Elias Anhorn himself—one of the founders of Jerusalem—arrived to kill her. Once he learns Wilhelmina survived and is here, he’ll try again. In person.”

“General Remmele said there’s credible intelligence that my brother went with Elias Anhorn to Tsarberg. From there, they launched the attack on the bunker. If he attacks Isfahan, he’ll likely accompany Anhorn. Especially when he realizes Alex and I are here.”

Alex realized where they were going with this. “And in that case, he’ll bring Josh.”

“Two high profile committee leaders and one bully turned Argus,” Thea said, holding up three fingers. “All in the same location at the same time.”

She dramatically closed her fist. “The perfect place to eliminate them all at once.”

“Hold on a minute!” Angelica said. “Most of us aren’t soldiers! They’ll slaughter us.”

Thea nodded. “I know. We’re not soldiers. But some of us are scientists. Scientists in charge of the most powerful reactor known on the planet to date.”

Alexandra flipped to the back of her notebook. “I could lure Theodor and Josh into the lab and blow it up.”

Magnus shook his head. “We’ve gone over this. You’d die. We’re not going to let you do that.”

“I’m keeping the option on the table. If we’re really going to do this, we have to at least consider it.”

“No, we shouldn’t consider it,” Angelica said.

“Why’s that?” Alexandra said.

“There’s a lot we can do before resorting to that. We’ve got me, Billy, Ruby, Tani…”

Tania looked at her. “Tani?”

“What, you don’t like that name?”

“I mean, I’m fine with it, but you just sprung it on me out of nowhere, and I already have a shortened nickname, so…”

Angelica smiled. “Okay, Tani it is! General Remmele’s creating a new division under his and the princess’ direct command. Since the Reich doesn’t exist for now, it’ll pretty much be our own personal army until the war ends. There’s the firepower we need.”

“Assuming we get through to General Remmele.”

“Tani, you’re a fellow commander. You can talk to him. Alexandra, you can talk to the princess. I’ll leave that up to you.”

“Who made you the leader?” Magnus crossed his arms.

Yeah, I don’t remember voting!

Billy nodded. “Yeah. I’m older, I outrank you, and I’ve been in my job since before you were born.”

“Sorry, Chief, but sometimes, you’ve gotta leave it to the kids,” Angelica said.

Another light went off in Alexandra’s head. “I just realized something.”

“What?” Alex said.

“Humboldt-Frank, Hansen, Kirova, Tesla, Haus, Marks, and Moreau. I know these names, or recognize them from my mom’s case files. All of us are people whose lives were affected by X-Division. Angela Hansen was my mom. I myself was my own X-Division case as a kid.”

“Anders and Diana were my parents,” Alex said.

“Olga Kirova was my aunt,” Tania said.

“Diana Frank was my mentor. I was named after Angela Hansen. You know...my name and all.” Angelica gestured to herself.

“X-Division helped me in 1992,” Billy said.

Ruby joined in. “And me not long afterward. Angela always could call on my mom for help.”

“The Teslas have worked with X-Division on multiple occasion, putting it lightly,” Thea said.

Alex brought it all together. “Josh tormented us all and wiped out X-Division.”

“And I’m…just here,” Magnus said.

Everyone laughed.

“I think Thea touched on this before,” Alex said, “It’s kind of funny how we all ended up in the same place.”

“I was just about to say that,” Thea said, “How is it that all of us are here? Through almost entirely random coincidences, we all ended up in the same place at the same time.”

Alex thought a little bit. He looked into Thea’s eyes, remembering the events that brought him here. They had met when Thea coincidentally ran him over. But the circumstances that led up to that were also random chance. Trends in the economy he couldn’t predict, going to school the way he did, everything felt like it both led up to Thea while also making it feel like a freak coincidence. Was this the same thing?

“Maybe it’s fate,” he finally said.

“It’s like the universe wanted us all to meet up,” Alexandra said.

Or suffer together at Josh’s hands.

“Growing up, my mom always told me about the Dola,” Tania said, “Not necessarily deities, but they’re personifications of fortune and luck. They’re assigmed to each person at birth. Maybe our Dola brought us all here for a purpose.”

“So the universe wants us to reform the X-Division?” Alex said.

Angelica pointed at herself. “Technically, the old X-Division’s still around, as long as I’m still here.”

“I’m not sure we’d be up to the task, though,” Alexandra said, “Billy’s the only cop, and Angelica’s the only Athanatos here.”

Billy shook his head. “I don’t want to be a federal agent again, though.”

“Me too,” Ruby said, “Not again.”

“We don’t have to be X-Division, Alexandra,” Alex said.

“What do you mean?”

“X-Division was our parents’ work, not ours. We took different paths. We don’t have to follow the same road they took.”

Angelica looked at him. “We…don’t?”

Tania took a deep breath. “Mom always taught me that the reason the gods don’t interfere in the world is to give us the freedom to choose who we want to be. The Rozhanitsy may decide the day of our deaths, but before then, we’re free to live our lives however we want. We’re not our parents. We can still do good and carry on their legacy in some other way. Even if their legacy was Jerusalem and this war, we can set things right again—in our own way.”

“Look, Angelica, it’s perfectly fine if you want to leave the Athanatoi,” Billy said.

“Wait, you want to leave?” Magnus said.

“I was thinking about it. Once this is all over. If it ever ends and there’s still an Athanatoi to quit by then.”

“This noia wants to open a bakery.” Ruby playfully jabbed at her.

“R-Ruby!” Angelica turned red. “I told that to you in confidence!”

Thea smiled, though. “Really? A bakery? Sounds admirable.”

“You th-think so?”

“Yeah! You should teach me how to bake like you someday!”

“I’m not sure I’d be up for that. I’m a terrible teacher.”

“Have you thought of where to set it up?”

“Definitely nowhere in the Reich. After what happened, I don’t want to risk another committee popping up and taking my bakery away. Maybe Oslo. If it’s still habitable. Then Clara and Sylvia can come visit.”

“I could too,” Tania said, “I live in Stockholm. Or at least lived there.”

“And me,” Magnus said, “Sylvie’s my cousin, after all.”

“Tani, you live on the other side of the country, though.”

Tania shrugged. “Who said I had to stay in Stockholm? I can’t wait to try your brioches again.”

“Maybe I’ll move to Scandinavia once this is all over,” Billy said, “Assuming the place gets cleaned up so I don’t immediately die to nerve gas.”

“What about you, Ruby?” Angelica said.

“Why’re you assuming I’d go to Scandinavia too?” Ruby said.

“Because you almost always does what Billy does. At least from what I’ve seen. Or is it something more than that?” Angelica playfully jabbed back.

Ruby laughed. “Look, we actually tried ‘something more’ for a little bit before realizing it doesn’t work out. I only do it because I want to, and our goals and interests just happen to align. That being said, I’ll also consider Scandinavia. Got nothing left in the Reich. What about you kids?”

“Us?” Alexandra said.

“Yeah. Got any plans once this is all over?”

“I…haven’t really been thinking about that,” Alex said, “We’ve been so focused on surviving the immediate future. With this war and our work and all, we haven’t had time to plan ahead.”

“To be honest, I don’t think I want to go to Scandinavia,” Alexandra said.

“Why’s that?”

“Sure, I would like to visit, if it’s safe. But I’ve spent the last four or so years here in Isfahan. We rebuilt our lives here after escaping the committee. When we first arrived, we thought it would be temporary,. But the years went by and the committee only got more and more powerful. Every day, our chances of going home went down. Our own homes back in the Reich are long gone. Our families are most certainly dead. Magnus and I talked a lot about this lately.”

“Alexandra and I are thinking of staying in Isfahan, permanently,” Magnus said.

“We’ve got new lives here. New jobs. New homes. And with luck, we can raise a family here too, if Persia survives this war. We’ve laid down roots. I don’t think we’ll leave easily.”

“What about you two?” Magnus looked at Alex and Thea.

“Well…If you two are staying…I think we’ll stay too,” Thea said.

Alex nodded. “I’ll support what Thea wants. If she wants to stay, I’m staying too.”

“So we all know what we’re going to do in the future,” Tania said.

“Now let’s all hope we survive to see that future,” Angelica said, “I’m already surprised all four of you survived.”

“Yeah, I imagine the Impala’s wreck didn’t do any favors,” Alexandra said.

Angelica suddenly realized something. “Wait, I have an idea. Why don’t we recover it?”

“For what?”

“To repair it, obviously.”

Alexandra looked confused. “What good would that do? It’s been rusting for four, five years. We’d only just crash it again.”

“I know,” Tania said, “We could give it a betharium-based engine.”

Thea and Alexandra both looked at her. They both opened their mouths, but Thea spoke first. “A…whole betharium reactor for a car engine?”

“Would be the perfect chance to try miniaturizing the reactor. You say you want to roll out the betharium reactor to the rest of the world, right? Well, it’s not going to do that much good if it’s the size of a room.”

“She’s right,” Alex realized, “If we could reduce it to the size of a car engine, imagine the possibilities. We could—”

“Transition all cars away from internal combustion engines,” Magnus continued, “With better range and efficiency and—”

“No carbon emissions.” Alexandra understood immediately. “This is perfect. The committee’s tainted environmentalism. It’s made sure everything related to clean energy is now closely tied to the committee and supporting it.”

“Yeah, you can’t see a solar panel without thinking of the solar panel array and cabbage patch they put where the Grand Temple of Cordoba used to be.”

“Or the solar panels covering the abomination that was built on what used to be Restoration Island,” Angelica said.

They changed Restoration Island?! From the tone of her voice, I don’t want to know.

“So naturally, if—no, when—the committee falls, there will be a backlash,” Tania said, “The people will associate renewable energy with the committee. That’s not even considering the fact that if we want to restore those cultural sites, we’d have to actually destroy those solar panel arrays. Then what? We’d have to go back to fossil fuels. Maybe that was what the committee intended by linking Tabula Rasa so closely with its renewable energy efforts. If this ends someday, I’m sure the people will actually want to go back to fossil fuels. The fossil fuel industry was a huge opponent of the committee back in the day.”

“So all renewable energy sources have been tainted by the committee,” Alex said.

Angelica held up a hand. “You’re missing a word there. All existing renewable energy sources.”

“Because betharium hadn’t been discovered and exploited yet, nobody knew it was a clean energy source. Until now.”

“So the committee never associated itself with betharium. There’d be no stigma.”

We could still promote it without being called committee war criminals.

“Exactly! This could be the future, right here.”

“Assuming we live to see it,” Alex said.

“We’ll live to see it, I know we will,” Angelica said.

Alex looked at Angelica. “We will?”

Angelica nodded. “I’m sure of it. I have a good feeling.”

Da, me too,” Tania said.

Thea raised her bottle of doogh. “How about a toast?”

“A toast?” Magnus said.

“A toast to the heirs of X-Division. To the legacy our parents left us. To the legacy we’ll build on our own.”

“Sounds grandiose,” Alexandra said, “But I’ll take it.”

Everyone raised their bottles.

Prost!”

L’Chayyim!”

Zum Wohl!”

Is Iyían!”

Santé!”

Cul sec!”

Salut!”

Skål!”

• 2Like
Reactions:
“Oskar.”

Thea realized what she had done. She put her hand on Alex’s. “Oh. I…I’m sorry.”

Alex’s eyes watered up. “I used to wish Oskar was still alive to see us. He would’ve liked you. But with how everything’s gone so far…I’m starting to think he was one of the lucky ones. He died before everything went to hell.”

“But he still died in a brutal and terrible way. Nobody should die like that.”

“In a way, he was spared from what happened afterward. He never had to live through Bloody Tuesday, the committee’s tyranny, Red Christmas, and this war. If he didn’t die there, he would have died an even worse death later on. Like how Rahul and Chris ended up. Their deaths couldn’t have been pretty.”

Oh God, where do I start with them? They were in the car right behind us, with Alexandra’s grandparents. We should’ve been in the clear. But something happened, and they crashed. I hope they died then and there. I shudder to imagine what would have happened if the mobs got them.

Alex clenched his fists. “Rahul and Chris were good people. Why did they get such horrible deaths? Why do good people end up with horrible fates? And why do bad people like Josh get rewarded and celebrated?”

Angelica shook her head, as if both agreeing and disagreeing at the same time. “That’s how life is. C’est la vie.”

“It must’ve been even worse for you in Bremerhaven and Alençon.”

Angelica nodded. “I lost count of how many people we lost in Bremerhaven. As for my hometown? I lost everyone. The whole town got massacred. They all died for the crime of being French.”

Thea looked down at the grass. “I’m so sorry. My brother…he did all that. I’m partially at fault too.”

“Don’t blame yourself,” Billy said, “What your brother did is what he did. It does not reflect on you. His actions are his, and your actions are yours. Yes, even if you’re following orders. Ruby and I would know.”
In a way I feel like this is a better way for them to get through their grief. That being to talk it out. I also agree with Billy in that just because a family member did something that does not make everyone else in the family guilty.

Angelica smiled. “Okay, Tani it is! General Remmele’s creating a new division under his and the princess’ direct command. Since the Reich doesn’t exist for now, it’ll pretty much be our own personal army until the war ends. There’s the firepower we need.”
And so the X-Division is reformed albeit temporarily and in their own way.

“This noia wants to open a bakery.” Ruby playfully jabbed at her.

“R-Ruby!” Angelica turned red. “I told that to you in confidence!”

Thea smiled, though. “Really? A bakery? Sounds admirable.”

“You th-think so?”

“Yeah! You should teach me how to bake like you someday!”

“I’m not sure I’d be up for that. I’m a terrible teacher.”

“Have you thought of where to set it up?”

“Definitely nowhere in the Reich. After what happened, I don’t want to risk another committee popping up and taking my bakery away. Maybe Oslo. If it’s still habitable. Then Clara and Sylvia can come visit.”

“I could too,” Tania said, “I live in Stockholm. Or at least lived there.”

“And me,” Magnus said, “Sylvie’s my cousin, after all.”

“Tani, you live on the other side of the country, though.”

Tania shrugged. “Who said I had to stay in Stockholm? I can’t wait to try your brioches again.”

“Maybe I’ll move to Scandinavia once this is all over,” Billy said, “Assuming the place gets cleaned up so I don’t immediately die to nerve gas.”

“What about you, Ruby?” Angelica said.

“Why’re you assuming I’d go to Scandinavia too?” Ruby said.

“Because you almost always does what Billy does. At least from what I’ve seen. Or is it something more than that?” Angelica playfully jabbed back.

Ruby laughed. “Look, we actually tried ‘something more’ for a little bit before realizing it doesn’t work out. I only do it because I want to, and our goals and interests just happen to align. That being said, I’ll also consider Scandinavia. Got nothing left in the Reich. What about you kids?”

“Us?” Alexandra said.

“Yeah. Got any plans once this is all over?”

“I…haven’t really been thinking about that,” Alex said, “We’ve been so focused on surviving the immediate future. With this war and our work and all, we haven’t had time to plan ahead.”

“To be honest, I don’t think I want to go to Scandinavia,” Alexandra said.

“Why’s that?”

“Sure, I would like to visit, if it’s safe. But I’ve spent the last four or so years here in Isfahan. We rebuilt our lives here after escaping the committee. When we first arrived, we thought it would be temporary,. But the years went by and the committee only got more and more powerful. Every day, our chances of going home went down. Our own homes back in the Reich are long gone. Our families are most certainly dead. Magnus and I talked a lot about this lately.”

“Alexandra and I are thinking of staying in Isfahan, permanently,” Magnus said.

“We’ve got new lives here. New jobs. New homes. And with luck, we can raise a family here too, if Persia survives this war. We’ve laid down roots. I don’t think we’ll leave easily.”

“What about you two?” Magnus looked at Alex and Thea.

“Well…If you two are staying…I think we’ll stay too,” Thea said.

Alex nodded. “I’ll support what Thea wants. If she wants to stay, I’m staying too.”

“So we all know what we’re going to do in the future,” Tania said.
I do wonder though with everyone either remaining in Persia or going to Scandinavia after the war (with the main exception being Wilhelmina, Gulichi, Izinchi, Friedrich and Ilyana) would it even be right to call this AAR a "A Roman Reich Megacampaign" anymore?

“I know,” Tania said, “We could give it a betharium-based engine.”

Thea and Alexandra both looked at her. They both opened their mouths, but Thea spoke first. “A…whole betharium reactor for a car engine?”

“Would be the perfect chance to try miniaturizing the reactor. You say you want to roll out the betharium reactor to the rest of the world, right? Well, it’s not going to do that much good if it’s the size of a room.”

“She’s right,” Alex realized, “If we could reduce it to the size of a car engine, imagine the possibilities. We could—”

“Transition all cars away from internal combustion engines,” Magnus continued, “With better range and efficiency and—”

“No carbon emissions.” Alexandra understood immediately. “This is perfect. The committee’s tainted environmentalism. It’s made sure everything related to clean energy is now closely tied to the committee and supporting it.”

“Yeah, you can’t see a solar panel without thinking of the solar panel array and cabbage patch they put where the Grand Temple of Cordoba used to be.”

“Or the solar panels covering the abomination that was built on what used to be Restoration Island,” Angelica said.

They changed Restoration Island?! From the tone of her voice, I don’t want to know.

“So naturally, if—no, when—the committee falls, there will be a backlash,” Tania said, “The people will associate renewable energy with the committee. That’s not even considering the fact that if we want to restore those cultural sites, we’d have to actually destroy those solar panel arrays. Then what? We’d have to go back to fossil fuels. Maybe that was what the committee intended by linking Tabula Rasa so closely with its renewable energy efforts. If this ends someday, I’m sure the people will actually want to go back to fossil fuels. The fossil fuel industry was a huge opponent of the committee back in the day.”

“So all renewable energy sources have been tainted by the committee,” Alex said.

Angelica held up a hand. “You’re missing a word there. All existing renewable energy sources.”

“Because betharium hadn’t been discovered and exploited yet, nobody knew it was a clean energy source. Until now.”

“So the committee never associated itself with betharium. There’d be no stigma.”

We could still promote it without being called committee war criminals.

“Exactly! This could be the future, right here.”

“Assuming we live to see it,” Alex said.

“We’ll live to see it, I know we will,” Angelica said.

Alex looked at Angelica. “We will?”

Angelica nodded. “I’m sure of it. I have a good feeling.”
That's a good idea and who knows with betharium being widespread maybe this could allow some of the other renewable energy sources like solar could slowly be reintroduced?

In a way I feel like this is a better way for them to get through their grief. That being to talk it out. I also agree with Billy in that just because a family member did something that does not make everyone else in the family guilty.
Funny enough, I just finished writing a little bit about collective family punishment in Chapter 465. over three months and I’m still not done with it yet

Internalizing and ignoring grief doesn’t help at all. The only thing you can do is acknowledge it for what it is and move on. Then you can begin to heal. Our protagonists are slowly learning this, which sets them apart from the likes of Elias, Theodor, and Josh, who dealt with their grief in different and ultimately wrong ways.
And so the X-Division is reformed albeit temporarily and in their own way.
Out of the ashes of the old, the new X-Division arises.
I do wonder though with everyone either remaining in Persia or going to Scandinavia after the war (with the main exception being Wilhelmina, Gulichi, Izinchi, Friedrich and Ilyana) would it even be right to call this AAR a "A Roman Reich Megacampaign" anymore?
I know I’m 100% going to change the title again once this war ends. Don’t know what it’ll be yet, but we’ll see.;)
That's a good idea and who knows with betharium being widespread maybe this could allow some of the other renewable energy sources like solar could slowly be reintroduced?
I could see hydroelectric, geothermal, and nuclear/thorium reaction energy slowly returning to prominence, but solar power will have a massive stigma as it’s the most heavily promoted one by the committee. All these would see significant competition from fossil fuel industries that would have received state subsidies to prop them up. Despite the science and increasingly the economics being against fossil fuel, governments would have no choice but to subsidize and promote them since many would fear green energy as an attempt by religious fundamentalists or even Jerusalem spies to take over their country.

A celebration of X-Division's legacy! Despite it all, Billy and Ruby deserve to be here.

A celebration of X-Division's legacy! Despite it all, Billy and Ruby deserve to be here.
For better or worse, they still are part of X-Division’s legacy.

X-Divsion truly had quite an impact all things considered, seems Olga's words are echoed once more for all of them remembered the members for what they had done. And how fitting that a new X-Division is born out of the tragedy that befall the members of the old one, hope they can be a shining beacon for a hopefully better world at the end of all of this.

X-Divsion truly had quite an impact all things considered, seems Olga's words are echoed once more for all of them remembered the members for what they had done. And how fitting that a new X-Division is born out of the tragedy that befall the members of the old one, hope they can be a shining beacon for a hopefully better world at the end of all of this.
The deaths of the original X-Division agents weren’t in vain in the end.