The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So Gundhuz is just as much of a geek as Wilhelmina is, only she's a tsundere about it. I already tell Wihelmina and Gundhuz's interactions will be a lot of fun, and it's nice to see Alexandria meet Wilhelmina again. I'm curios to see how Wilhelmina's group will interact with Alex and Angelica's groups.
I loved writing all of the different group interactions now that everyone's in the same place. They have a lot to talk about with each other.
I was starting to wonder if Jerusalem's performance was you holding yourself back or genuinely giving it your all in a difficult war, knowing how much you like to limit yourself for story reasons and to prevent the Reich from snowballing.
For once, I genuinely was trying my best, but there was a lot against me. The last time I fought a major war in this game was World War III, which in real life was played several months before the current war's sessions. China's buff combined with most of my troops being on the Chinese border didn't do me any favors, so I saw a lot of large armies which had a 4 to 1 manpower advantage over their opponents routed with heavy casualties. I was also used to the Reich using its huge firepower and manpower to overwhelm enemies like in the Mexico war, so even though I did seriously try to fight this war for once, I made a lot of bad plays and even forgot about enemy troops sneaking around my forces. That's why I didn't notice the Russians until it was too late.
I wonder if you have any plans to talk about that in the 11th/12th century rework, because I agree that having a family that previously were Holy Roman Emperors end up ruling a traditionally republican Venice from Bulgaria is pretty weird. At least with stuff like Sigmaringen France and Habsburg Poland I can see happening as part of the active Germanization program of those regions under later the early Kaisers.
Probably not. I'm thinking of leaving it as a historical joke as I don't know how to explain it.
As we've been discussing Alexious Kommenos being a major player of the Restoration and the guardian of Fredrich the Glorious, I have to wonder how Alexios' children, particularly Anna and John II, would interact with Fredrich as he grows up, especially considering those two had a bit of a sibling rivalry going on when it came to the Byzantine throne in OTL, not to mention Anna being known for writing the Alexiad.
Perhaps Anna and John have a sibling-like relationship with Friedrich, who would also consider them family as he was an only child.
Considering Anna seemed to have a crush on Bohemond of Antioch in the Alexiad, maybe that crush is gone to Fredreich instead, also John would have been an advisor to Fredreich the Glorious considering we do see another Komnenos assisting the Reich during the time of Saint Willhelmina, since he never gets to be Emperor here he'd have either been part of Fredreich's council or an official in the Eastern half of the Reich, probably the de-facto leader of the Greek faction. Their sibling rivalry here wouldn't be as bad as in OTL, it'd be just typical sibling banter at this rate.
I could see John being in Friedrich's council while Anna still writes her books and maybe even organize an early chronology for the Reich. Their rivalry wouldn't be as pronounced due to the influence of their father.
Maybe Bulgaria could be ruled by House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry who still claim to be Kings of Bulgaria in OTL and who are actually a branch of House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha who would later become the House of Windsor in OTL. Which makes me wonder what the Windsor's are doing in TTL? My view is that they married into the Hohenzollern House since some of its members are basically similar to OTL like Diana so maybe other members of the family could be rulers of Bulgaria?

Speaking of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha I saw this video from UsefulCharts and it turns out the modern day heir of Charlemagne is actually Queen Elizabeth II

I don't think the Saxe-Goburg-Gothas rose to prominence at all, so I consider them irrelevant to the timeline.

To be fair, at least half of Europe is descended from Charlemagne, and most European royals are related to the British monarchy in some way too.
Imagine trying to say you don't have the time for FF7.
This post made by Wilhelmina gang. :p

Reactions:
That's assuming those armies are trying to get back to friendly territory. They're currently focused on holding and expanding the territory they currently control.
Well then the Committee commanders of those troops behind the lines better not carpet siege to much or else those smaller units could end up being destroyed to the point that the entire army ends up destroyed. I foresee a lot of those commanders ending up like Marcus Licinius Crassus of the Battle of Carrhae fame or Publius Quinctilius Varus of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest fame.

Also speaking of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest how is Arminius viewed in the Reich since in TTL Germans are the rulers of Rome were as in OTL Arminius is viewed as a hero who protected Germany from the Romans?

Well then the Committee commanders of those troops behind the lines better not carpet siege to much or else those smaller units could end up being destroyed to the point that the entire army ends up destroyed. I foresee a lot of those commanders ending up like Marcus Licinius Crassus of the Battle of Carrhae fame or Publius Quinctilius Varus of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest fame.

Also speaking of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest how is Arminius viewed in the Reich since in TTL Germans are the rulers of Rome were as in OTL Arminius is viewed as a hero who protected Germany from the Romans?
People don't care for Arminius, he's just another minor historical figure like the rest.

Perhaps Anna and John have a sibling-like relationship with Friedrich, who would also consider them family as he was an only child.
I could see John being in Friedrich's council while Anna still writes her books and maybe even organize an early chronology for the Reich. Their rivalry wouldn't be as pronounced due to the influence of their father.
I quite like these ideas, especially Fredrich’s viewing Anna and John as an older siblings (I did the math to find out Fredrich the Glorious was born around 1089/1090, younger than both Anna and John by their OTL birthdates) which I feel adds to his character. I could see Anna teaching in one of the universities or helping Fredrich with his intellectual purists like heliocentricism, or even help him find out more about the Worm and uncover Cult members infiltrating the imperial court and interact with the saints if you want to have Anna be a supporting character, as I‘ve always thought she would make for an interesting character in your 12th century rework after remembering this OSP video about her.

I quite like these ideas, especially Fredrich’s viewing Anna and John as an older siblings (I did the math to find out Fredrich the Glorious was born around 1089/1090, younger than both Anna and John by their OTL birthdates) which I feel adds to his character. I could see Anna teaching in one of the universities or helping Fredrich with his intellectual purists like heliocentricism, or even help him find out more about the Worm and uncover Cult members infiltrating the imperial court and interact with the saints if you want to have Anna be a supporting character, as I‘ve always thought she would make for an interesting character in your 12th century rework after remembering this OSP video about her.
Definitely. Anna was a very interesting historical figure who would fit in very well with Friedrich's intellectually-minded reign.

I quite like these ideas, especially Fredrich’s viewing Anna and John as an older siblings (I did the math to find out Fredrich the Glorious was born around 1089/1090, younger than both Anna and John by their OTL birthdates) which I feel adds to his character.

Definitely. Anna was a very interesting historical figure who would fit in very well with Friedrich's intellectually-minded reign.
I quite like the idea of Anna Komnena being a cool older sister to Fredreich. No doubt her influence, plus Fredreich's exposure to court intrigue during the regency would have been a factor to Fredreich tolerating the idea of strong women in his lifetime. Plus Anna's scholarly ways would become a factor to Willhelmina's plans for an early Renaissance. As an added bonus, I do believe Anna Komnena would still be alive by the time Saint Willhelmina is of age, assuming we go by her OTL lifespan. I can picture her tutoring the youg saint on both the classics and whatever books were written at the time.

Last edited:
I quite like the idea of Anna Komnena being a cool older sister to Fredreich. No doubt her influence, plus Fredreich's exposure to court intrigue during the regency would have been a factor to Fredreich tolerating the idea of strong women in his lifetime. Plus Anna's scholarly ways would become a factor to Willhelmina's plans for an early Renaissance. As an added bonus, I do believe Anna Komnena would still be alive by the time Saint Willhelmina is of age, assuming we go by her OTL lifespan. I can picture her tutoring the youg saint on both the classics and whatever books were written at the time.
I didn't think of that, but Anna definitely could be a good influence on Friedrich and Wilhelmina's views on women and intellectualism. I'm already imagining the sibling banter now.

A Persian Welcome, Part 3

“Uh…Lady—er—ma’am—uh—Your Highness—I mean—Majesty—Princess,” Alexandra stammered, “With—all d-due—respect, I…I thought you were dead.”

“Please drop the formalities, Alexandra,” Wilhelmina said, “I gave you permission to just call me Wilhelmina. Or Willie, if you want. And the rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated.”

Gebhard pointed at Alexandra. “This is the friend you were talking about? The one who could help you with the power?”

“What power?”

“I don’t think this is a good place to talk,” Gunduz said, “We’re literally in the middle of a hallway.”

They regrouped in Alexandra’s lab. It was a big room with a high ceiling, much like the labs in Damascus. Rows of large supercomputers with equally large terminals had been set up around a large reactor. A window in the side of the reactor showed its interior, which was glowing with a light blue hue. Their little group sat at a table in front of the window.

“So where’s the family, Willie?” Gunduz said. “Heard you had a kid a while ago.”

Grandson,” Wilhelmina said.

“Well, your son got started on his own family early,” Gunduz said, “Unlike my own son.”

“I didn’t know you were so interested in my family. You never answered my invitation to be my maid of honor. Or attended any of my family events. You went out of your way to avoid me at Grandpa’s funeral.”

“Well I was busy!”

“You always say that!”

“So I assume Franz is busy? And Joseph as well? Where are they?”

You JUST had to go there, Gunduz.

Wilhelmina focused on her glasses, bringing the splotches of blood into focus. Even after two months, Franz’s blood was still there. A tear rolled down her cheek.

“They were killed in Yavdi.”

Please, I don’t want to talk about it again.

Gunduz noticed her distress and immediately understood. “My apologies.”

Gunduz may go too far sometimes, but she immediately knows when she crosses that line and backs off.

“Friedrich’s all I got now.” Wilhelmina protectively put a hand around Friedrich.

“I’m so sorry.”

Gunduz looked at Ilyana. “And who’s this young lady here?

“This is Grand Duchess Ilyana Romanova. My distant relative. We lost her grandfather in Yavdi.”

“I want to make them pay,” Ilyana muttered.

A look of alarm briefly flashed across Gunduz’s face, but she quickly shook it off and returned to looking annoyed all the time.

“You’ve lost so many people,” Alexandra said, “I can’t believe to imagine what you’ve all been through.”

“But at least it’s all over now,” Izinchi said, “We’re in civilization again, which means modern amenities and beds!”

“You really want a good night’s sleep, don’t you?” Gebhard said.

“Of course I do! Ye don’t?”

Wilhelmina said nothing while the general and senator bantered again. Gunduz’s comment had brought back bad memories. She looked to her side, hand reaching out, but there was nobody there.

I still miss Franz. His laughs. His encouragement. The times we hung out in the evening, just having fun. I miss Joseph too. The times I played Mario Kart with him and let him win. The times he actually managed to beat me when I was trying. Even the times he insisted he didn’t like my choice of games. He always liked multiplayer shooters. I remember all those times I had to give him a stern talking to for the language he used over chat. I miss Vasily. Although we got off on the wrong foot, and we only knew each other for a few months, he was still family. He died before I could learn more about him. And I miss Lisa. As much as I try to remember…I can’t remember much about her. I know I know more, but I can’t recall. I can barely picture her face now. I’m close to forgetting my own daughter-in-law. Joseph’s wife. Friedrich’s mother. Shameful.

“Uh, Alexandra, a question,” Gebhard said. “Are you sure it’s safe to sit like this? I’m not sure if I should be covered in this blue light.”

“It’s safe,” Alexandra said, “The reaction doesn’t produce any harmful radiation, due to the superconductors we use and fusion reactions naturally being far less radioactive—actually, the radiation levels are so low they pose no health risk—but I reinforced the window to block it out just in case. I’ve at least tested it against myself for the last couple months.”

“Not encouraging,” Izinchi said.

“I promise it’s safe!” Alexandra said. “The thing I’m most worried about is it overloading and exploding, but I’ve made sure that won’t happen—”

“Anyways, to continue where I left off, before we got sidetracked,” Wilhelmina said, “This is Elisabeth Alexandra Hansen. Named after my mother. Remember that incident about ten years ago when all those Internet trolls trashed one of the most important scientific discoveries of the century just because they thought the lead contributor only got credit for being a girl? That was her.”

Alexandra looked at the floor. “I can’t believe you remembered that less than stellar moment in my life.”

“And I can’t believe you were hired by Gunduz herself.”

“Sometimes, I can’t believe that either. So what brings you here today?”

“Princess Four-Eyes here is my…guest.”

Wow, rude. Is this retaliation for bringing up FFVII?

Wilhelmina looked at Gunduz. “Try friend.”

Guest.” Gunduz was adamant.

Wilhelmina rolled her eyes. “Really, Gunduz?”

Alexandra noticed Izinchi next. “Is that…Senator Ochimeca? The PMS senator?”

“Aye, yours truly!” Izinchi waved her hands with a flourish.

“I thought you died in Russia.”

“The rumors of my death were also greatly exaggerated. Just like the ‘some people did something’ line.”

“The what line?”

“Finally, someone who doesn’t remember!”

“I’m General Gebhard Remmele.” Gebhard shook Alexandra’s hand politely. “As the highest ranking Heer officer in the loyalist forces, I’m technically Megas Domestikos.”

“Uh, nice to meet you, General. Unfortunately, I don’t know who you are.”

Izinchi laughed and patted Gebhard on the back. “Dinnae worry, not being remembered isn’t always a bad thing!”

“What are you doing here, Alexandra?” Wilhelmina said.

“Betharium research,” Gunduz said, “She’s working on creating a betharium-based energy source. Ideally for use in combat. But I would be lucky if I even got a light turned on with it by the end of the week.”

Alexandra pointed at the reactor. “We recently hit 15% betharium efficiency. Which is a great improvement, but I doubt we’ll be able to get that much further.”

“I stand corrected. At this rate, we’d be lucky if we can even power my frakking toaster.”

Alexandra stopped. She took a moment to process the people around her.

“Alright, how do I carry on a conversation with people like you? A princess, a senator, a general, two Yavdian soldiers, one Turkish soldier, and the goddamn Shahbanu.”

Frakking Shahbanu.”

Gunduz always was obsessed with semantics.

Alexandra snickered. “Sounds like the setup for one of Magnus’ jokes. I don’t think I can just start with ‘how’s your day going’?”

“Well, I won’t mind,” Wilhelmina said, “My day’s been…actually okay. Compared to the last few weeks.”

Three young adults entered the room, and Alexandra’s face lit up. “Oh, right on time! Come over here!”

“Alexandra, why the hell are the princess, the Shahbanu, Senator Ochimeca, a Roman general, and three Yavdian and Turkish soldiers sitting in front of our reactor?” Magnus said. “This sounds like a setup for one of my lame jokes.”

“Long story. Anyways, this is Magnus Kvensen, my husband.”

“A joke…hmmm…” Thea said. “How about: the princess, the Shahbanu, and Senator Ochimeca walk into a bar…”

“Where Senator Ochimeca proceeds to get wasted, fire up the karaoke machine, and badly sing some random Cantopop song,” Izinchi said, “Actually happened once when I was on a diplomatic visit to China. Doing treaty negotiations, that kind of stuff.”

“I’m surprised you’re that open about it,” Wilhelmina said.

“If Schmitz’s right-wing propaganda machine is going to blow every little detail of my life out of context, I might as well have some fun. And besides, the bloody Emperor of China was there—back when he was a wee prince and auld Mingzhong was still around. Lad couldn’t sing to save his life, but we got the treaty signed, and then we hit the bar. I see that as an absolute win!”

“Oh, I forgot to introduce myself,” Thea said, “I’m Thea Tesla.”

“Tesla?” Gebhard said. “As in Theodor Tesla?”

Hold on, that Theodor?!

“He’s my brother, biologically. By any other means? Hell no. He tried to kill me a couple times because of my life choices. Did you know he passed that Nullification Act that stripped women’s rights because he disapproved of my boyfriend?”

Wilhelmina’s blood started boiling the instant she heard that. She clenched her fists.

Was that why I lost my titles and status? Because that billionaire got mad his sister was dating someone he didn’t like?! And he forced my uncle to show up at my house to personally do it?! I swear when I get back to Berlin, first thing on my agenda is show that idiot how it feels like to be put in place.

“Thea Tesla…” Samir said. “Growing up, I’d hear the news talking about the ‘wayward Tesla sibling’.”

Thea reddened. “Oh, that’s how they talked about me in Yavdi back then? A little embarrassing. I didn’t think people in Yavdi cared about me that much. Don’t you guys have your own sisters of billionaires to gossip about?”

“Not really. And if we did, I wouldn’t know. I don’t follow that stuff.”

“Private Tetchu here was lucky to even have news talking about you,” Gulichi said, “My village got absolutely nothing. I have no idea whatever the Tuonela you’re all talking about.”

“Well, if you’re anything like your brother knowledge-wise, Thea, I’m not surprised Alexandra here got as far as she did,” Wilhelmina said.

“Oh, no, Alexandra did most of the reactor work. She actually pesters me to do more to catch up.”

“Hey!” Alexandra said.

“But I’ve got another project to work on. Alex, dear?”

“Oh, of course.” Alex walked over with a Panopticon nullifier. “Alex—”

“Humboldt-Frank?” Izinchi said. “Son of Anders Humboldt and Diana Frank?”

“Finally, someone remembers my full last name, and it’s Senator Ochimeca of all people!”

“Another lad remembers me!”

“Huh, imagine that,” Gebhard said.

“Anyways, I’m engaged to Thea here. And I don’t like bringing up my parents.”

“You’re engaged to Dr. Tesla here? Lucky you.”

“Dr. Tesla? Oh, please, I’m just Thea here.”

“I tell myself I’m lucky every day to be with the good doctor.”

Thea blushed. “Thanks, Alex.”

“You’re really pretty, miss,” Ilyana said, “Who does your hair?”

“I do it myself. I can teach you, if you want.”

“Really? Yay!” Ilyana beamed.

“You give hair styling lessons now?” Alexandra said.

“She should’ve asked you, because my hair’s almost always a mess these days,” Thea said, “But something about her tells me I shouldn’t tell her no even if I wanted to...”

“If we’re done talking about hair styling—or lack thereof—then we should get to discussing business,” Gunduz said.

Thea put up her hands. “Alright, alright, I get it. Alexandra and Magnus’ responsibility is working on the reactor. Meanwhile, Alex and I are focused on what we now call the Argeiphontes: a way to not only neutralize Panopticons, but also hijack their data to gather valuable intelligence about their users.”

“Argeiphontes is one of my highest priorities for R&D. Unfrotunately, I haven’t seen any usable results so far.”

“Ma’am, we’ve gotten most of the design ready to go. But we ran into an unforseen issue. Alex?”

“The backdoor we planned to gain access through seems to have been reinforced recently. We intercepted a patch sent out around two weeks ago. Documentation said it was in response to a glitch caused in November by ‘the Russian government’.”

“Also known as Olga Kirova.”

“The area around the backdoor has been reworked. The backdoor itself was untouched, so it seems like Argus is still unaware of its existence for now, but getting through it will be even more difficult. There is a continuous loop of security checks regularly sweeping through the entire execution environment to make sure the checksum is—”

Gunduz waved a hand to cut him off. “If you don’t switch to plain German, I’m going to stab through my eardrums with the same godsdamn kabab skewer.”

“Basically, if we insert our script the way we initially planned, the security checks will catch the addition on the next sweep, since it changes the checksum. However, we think we found a way around it.”

“If we can just cause the entire system to reboot, or at least go down for a fraction of a second, perhaps we can still do what we originally want,” Thea said, “What we’d do is use an EMP field to bring down the system, interrupting the loop. We inject the script, which means the checksum changes. But when the loop comes back up, it will need to get the checksum to compare against the rest of the code.”

“It’ll get the new checksum and see nothing wrong with the injected script. I have to thank Thea for coming up with that idea. I admit I was stuck on the checksum issue for a while.”

“I’m still hung up on one thing: we don’t have an EMP field we can generate on a whim. And in such a way that it is localized and coordinated with the script injection.”

“Actually…” Gunduz said.

“What is it?” Wilhelmina said.

“Coincidentally, I just brought in another group of people who had traveled a long way. These people came from within occupied Europe itself. And one of them just so happens to have brought special bullets that generate localized EMP fields.”

Thea took a step back. “You’re kidding me.”

“I’m the frakking Shahbanu. I don’t lie.”

Yep, that’s Gunduz. She does lie, though, but she makes sure nobody believes she does.

Thea quickly recovered from her shock. “Get me one of those bullets as soon as possible. This could be the breakthrough I was looking for!”

Gunduz nodded. “Already put in the order. Expected you to say that. Even sent out orders to have the group transferred here so you can talk to them yourself. Which reminds me, Alexandra, you wouldn’t happen to have any epidemiology training, would you? That group also brought in a biological sample of interest to us and…”

“Ma’am, with all due respect, I’m a physicist, not a physician. My mom was the physician. Doctor of medicine, not of philosophy or physics.”

“But your mom was also a physicist. I’ve read Einstein's Twin Paradox: A New Interpretation, you know.”

“She changed careers soon afterward,” Alexandra said, “Her college interests were all over the place before she settled on medicine. Like many of her generation, I guess. I took a hint and stayed in physics.”

Like many of her generation...I’m from a later generation, but that was definitely me in college tool

“Gunduz, you’re scaring her,” Wilhelmina said.

“Willie, they’ve been scared for weeks, and they haven’t broken down yet. It’s fine. Anyways, I’ll send the sample to our nearest hospital.”

“We’ve talked a lot about ourselves,” Alexandra said, “How about you?”

“Well, you already know me, and you’re familiar with Gebhard and Izinchi here,” Wilhelmina said, “Samir?”

Samir waved. “Nothing special about me. I’m a Yavdian soldier who somehow ended up here.”

Gulichi shook his head and pointed at Samir. “Don’t look at me, he dragged me here with him.”

“You wanted to come here.”

Leyla rolled her eyes. “I’m probably going to transfer back to the Turkish Army as soon as I get in contact with them, and they’ll probably transfer me to Saikhangiin Börte in Astrakhan as planned. I don’t even know why I’m here to begin with.”

Gulichi looked disappointed.

“Well, I think we’re done with introductions,” Wilhelmina said, “It was nice—”

“Wait a minute,” Alexandra interrupted, “Didn’t General Remmele say something about a power?”

“Oh, yes. Totally forgot. Here.” She snapped her fingers, and energy swirled around her hand.

Alexandra’s eyes widened. “Fascinating.”

“That…do you know what that is?” Thea said.

“No, I’m stumped. Magic? Psychic powers? Something else?”

“Alexandra, your mother, Alex’s parents, and Olga Kirova were on X-Division. They investigated all sorts of weird and unexplained things. I need to know if they ever investigated something like this.”

“Now that I think about it…my mom had…certain abilities like this.”

Wilhelmina’s eyes widened. “She did?”

“I think so. When she died, I last saw her trying to bring down an entire tunnel on top of her just to kill an Argus squad that was pursuing me. She always told me she was capable of other feats years ago. But it’s weird, because she had to take a certain nootropic drug to activate those powers.”

Drugs? That was never my thing. No problem against it, but the image of a princess doing drugs would cause chaos. People are already mad over the kind of games I play anyways. Then again, cousin Willy really knew how to smoke a blunt in college, and nobody batted an eye even when he became next in line to the throne.

“I’ve done nothing of the sort,” Wilhelmina said.

“Weird. So what’s causing your power?”

“We’ll have to run some tests,” Thea said.

“I’d like to see exactly how far my power goes.”

“Would sure help us out in battle,” Gebhard said.

“I’ll set up a time when I’m next available,” Alexandra said.

“You guys should get some rest first,” Thea said.

“FINALLY!” Izinchi pumped her fists. “AYE, FLUFFY BEDS!”

Gebhard facepalmed. “I have no idea how this woman even became senator…”

“That makes two of us,” Leyla said.

“What’s a senator?” Gulichi said.

“Thanks, Alexandra,” Wilhelmina said, “It’s nice seeing you again.”

“Same here,” Alexandra said, “Glad to know you’re okay. You’re safe now.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
The groups converge! It was inevitable, now let's see that tasty teamwork.

Finally, the gang's all here. And it looks like things are about to get more feisty since they're all on borrowed time. Gonna be dreading the day Josh and the Committee arrive though, but hopefully it's still gonna be a while till they get to that point.

Finally, the gang's all here. And it looks like things are about to get more feisty since they're all on borrowed time. Gonna be dreading the day Josh and the Committee arrive though, but hopefully it's still gonna be a while till they get to that point.
I agree I am very eager for them all to start working together but I fear that things are going to get even more crazy then they already are.

Gunduz noticed her distress and immediately understood. “My apologies.”

Gunduz may go too far sometimes, but she immediately knows when she crosses that line and backs off.
I think that is one of the reasons why I like both Gunduz and Chrisjen in that they both can push people to their limit but they know that when a line is put in place like not talking about dead relatives they make sure not to cross it.

Drugs? That was never my thing. No problem against it, but the image of a princess doing drugs would cause chaos. People are already mad over the kind of games I play anyways. Then again, cousin Willy really knew how to smoke a blunt in college, and nobody batted an eye even when he became next in line to the throne.
By cousin was she referring to Wilhelm who the Committee made Kaiser?

Time to make Friedrich the Great proud.
next update has Elias dropping 5 nukes on Isfahan to kill everyone in one go
I agree I am very eager for them all to start working together but I fear that things are going to get even more crazy then they already are.
More seriously, you have no idea.
I think that is one of the reasons why I like both Gunduz and Chrisjen in that they both can push people to their limit but they know that when a line is put in place like not talking about dead relatives they make sure not to cross it.
Yes. Gunduz may sound abrasive and blunt, but she genuinely means well.
By cousin was she referring to Wilhelm who the Committee made Kaiser?
Yes, Wilhelm Jr (Wilhelm Karl’s son).

Officer’s Textbook

Ali Qapu Palace - January 2

The war room was packed with generals and admirals. Gunduz sat at the head of the table, with Gebhard and Wilhelmina sitting next to her. A paper map had been placed on the table, with troop positions marked with physical counters. An unused wall screen hung on one of the walls. Normally, a digital map would be displayed there with accurate satellite data, but Persia’s military satellites had gone down, and clouds frequently covered Central Asia now, so it was back to analog.

Reminds me a lot of Olga’s war room. Paper maps on a large table. Generals pacing around, using pointers to move wooden counters around. A bunch of flags flanking some old paintings. Mostly natural and pastoral scenes. Peaceful. Unlike what’s going on outside Persia.

General Shayan Tahmasb was a large man. His Artesh (Persian Army) uniform consisted of brown desert fatigues and a black beret which complemented his thick mustache. A pair of sunglasses was hooked on his shirt collar. A thick Mayan cigar hung out of his mouth, with thick trails of smoke wafting up to the ceiling. Wilhelmina could smell the nicotine from the other side of the room.

Uh, Gunduz? Have you ever heard about banning smoking indoors? Especially in this war room? Because I don’t want to get second-hand smoke from a cigar-chewing Hugo Doukas wannabe. Actually, he reminds me more of your dad now that I think about it.

Shayan pointed at the counters surrounding Samarkand. Then he pointed at another set of counters around Bukhara. “The Crusader siege of Samarkand is being supplied from the west, through occupied Bukhara.”

“Bukhara?” Wilhelmina said.

“Yes, there was an old Roman military base on the northeastern outskirts of Bukhara. On November 3, they simply rolled up to Bukhara, executed the mayor, and set themselves up in City Hall. Then they marched on Samarkand. The base’s location on the M37 Highway—which we had just refurbished a few years ago—makes it ideal for both controlling Bukhara and supplying the siege of Samarkand from the south and west.”

“South and west?”

“Yes, the Crusaders are also pressing from the north. Bishkek and Turkestan City are in their hands. Same deal as Bukhara, old Roman bases that flipped. Bishkek sits on the A2 Highway and Turkestan City on the E38. The highways merge in the city of Shymkent and then head south into Tashkent, from there, going southwest to Samarkand. Shymkent effectively opened its gates for the Crusaders, not wanting to suffer Bukhara’s fate. I don’t blame them, but that delivered the entire A2 into Jerusalem’s hands. Then they did the same with Tashkent, and now they control the entire triangle between Turkestan City, Bishkek, and Tashkent, which they’re using to to reinforce and resupply the siege of Samarkand from the north. And that’s not even talking about the Chinese yet.”

“Wait, the Chinese are involved too?” Gebhard said.

“On the 4th, the Imperial Chinese Army crossed the border on multiple fronts. A three-pronged offensive from Lake Balkhash in the north, Aksu in the east, and Kashgar in the southeast. Almaty fell within hours. The Baikonur special administrative region is under siege. They’re advancing on Bishkek.”

“What if we let the Chinese take Bishkek from the Crusaders?” Wilhelmina said.

“Willie, that’s not an improvement, unless there’s a metric I don’t know about,” Gunduz said.

“But think about it. If the Chinese attack Bishkek, the Crusaders will have to divert forces to defend it. From where would they get those forces? Samarkand. Do we know what kind of enemy troops are at Samarkand?”

“Mostly infantry,” Shayan said, “But they also have a lot of mobile vehicles, tanks, artillery, and some helicopters. Tactics seem to emphasize overwhelming firepower. They’re built for a siege, not for mobility.”

“And the Chinese?”

“Full air support, almost entirely mechanized infantry, backed up by several tank divisions. Follows the Chinese military doctrine of spreading out to take as much territory as possible as quickly as possible. They will reach Bishkek soon.”

“So we wait until the Chinese attack Bishkek. The Crusaders will struggle to move forces east from Samarkand. This will weaken their siege, and we can strike. What do we have?”

“Two hundred thousand men are being readied for deployment in Mashhad. One hundred thousand Artesh regulars, fifty thousand Afghan National Army and National Militia personnel, and fifty thousand Turkish Army soldiers. We plan on hitting the Crusaders at Samarkand from the west.”

Shayan pointed at Mashhad, in northern Persia. Three stacks of counters had been arranged there. One was yellow, denoting the Persians. Another was green, denoting the Turks. And the last was red, denoting the Afghans. He moved two Persian mechanized counters up to Bukhara. In response, a black Crusader counter was moved away from Samarkand.

“Two mechanized divisions will assault Bukhara, as if the vanguard of a full offensive. As the garrison of Bukhara is barely enough for controlling the city itself, it will call for backup from Samarkand. Some troops will be dispatched, weakening the siege of Samarkand. Then we hit the remaining troops at Samarkand with everything we’ve got. We possess the advantage in numbers, equipment, and logistics. The Crusader forces are suited for a siege, not an actual battle. We know the terrain and can supply our troops easier.”

He dramatically pushed all of the remaining counters onto Samarkand, scattering the Crusader counters.

“Stop being a frakking show-off, Shayan,” Gunduz said.

“It gets the point across, ma’am.”

“No, it does not.”

Wilhelmina looked at the map, focusing on the scattered Crusader counters.

No…it can’t be that easy. Just look at what happened in Delhi. The Indians had the advantage in numbers, home turf, terrain, and logistics. They not only lost, but 6 Indians died for each Crusader they killed. What if we’re walking into the same trap?

“Are you sure about that?” she asked.

“What do you mean?” Gunduz said.

Wilhelmina recalled the news articles and military briefings she read while waiting for this meeting. Details about battles involving Jerusalem over the last two years and across the world. They all had one thing in common.

“You’re underestimating the technology the Crusaders have. It’s how they took over my country. How they wiped out the UN/Eimerican convoy in Bremerhaven despite not even sending a single ship to Heligoland. How they steamrolled Russia, seized Tsarberg, and enforced a surrender within a week. How they’re still holding Delhi and three other Indian cities despite everything being against them. It’s their technology. I’ve seen what their tech can do. A fleet of aerial drones was responsible for Heligoland. Hellhounds are one of the reasons the Crusaders were so successful down in India. And have we forgotten what the Panopticons do? Anything one soldier learns will be known to the rest of them within seconds.”

“Which reminds me, we need Argeiphontes,” Shayan said, “It would really help us gather information on the strength and composition of the forces around Bukhara.”

We may have another weapon to tip the balance too. Not sure how to breach the topic though.

“The research team I assigned is still working on them,” Gunduz said, “They tell me they’re close to a breakthrough. Which is code for ‘nothing has changed since our last meeting, but please give us more taxpayer yunusis’.”

Or if I‘m ready for it.

“Until then, we will have to operate at a tactical disadvantage,” Wilhelmina said, “Remember, the Indians had the home advantage and numerical superiority on their side. Yet they still haven’t been able to take back Delhi or any of the other occupied cities.”

“What are you suggesting?”

I should build up to it.

“I suggest we don’t attack Samarkand head-on.”

“Why not? It’s a simple attack. Right out of the officer’s textbook.”

We don‘t want that.

“Exactly. They would be expecting us to attack like that and forget the situation in the greater region. The Chinese are marching in from the east. If we attack before they hit Bishkek, the Chinese might halt their offensive. They’d want the Crusaders and CAC to exhaust themselves fighting each other, then sweep in and eliminate what remains. Or the Crusaders abandon Bishkek and concentrated on taking Samarkand to knock Turkestan out of the war, and then we’re really screwed. It’s like a Russian standoff. Three sides each pointing guns at each other, unable to make the first move to break the stalemate or withdraw from it. Whoever moves first against the second party will be eliminated by the third party.”

“What the frak should we do instead, then?”

Wilhelmina gestured to the CAC counters and then traced a line between Samarkand and Bukhara. “I say we switch the feint and main attack. Send the smaller army to Samarkand. Instead, we hit Bukhara with everything we’ve got, cutting the supply lines to the besiegers. Then they swing around to the east and cut the supply lines running through Shymkent and Tashkent. Finally, we take Samarkand and consolidate the front so we can focus on China.”

“That‘s a risky strategy,” Shayan said, “We’d be risking two hundred thousand men. If the operation fails, then we’ll have lost the CAC’s largest army. Persia and Afghanistan will be open to attack.”

“But they won’t be expecting us to hit Bukhara. They’ll think we’d attack Samarkand instead. It’ll be easy to mask our troop movements with the satellites down and the Crusaders’ lack of air support.”

Shayan thought for a moment. “Intriguing idea, ma’am. Very intriguing. But I’m still not convinced. After all, you lack military experience. You’re not a commander.”

True.

“Then what about me?” Gebhard said. “I can vouch for this plan. I think it will work. In fact, I’d like to volunteer myself to field command in Samarkand.”

“With all due respect, General Remmele, you are probably as familiar with Central Asia as the Crusaders.”

“Frankly, I’m not. I’ll admit that. But I think it’s important to seek out another opinion. Including a civilian’s opinion. General Tahmasb, you shouldn’t let your local background influence your judgment. You may be confident in using old tactics for a battle on your own turf, but the rules of war are different in the 21st century. I know this from my time in Mexico.”

Wilhelmina nodded. “I may not be a general, but it can’t hurt to have an outside voice, especially a voice familiar with old Roman tactics. Remember, our goal at Samarkand is not winning. It’s simply not losing. We just have to hold out until the enemy retreats.”

“You’ve played a lot more Fire Emblem since we last met.” Gunduz rolled her eyes.

Not lately if you don’t count Persona Emblem, but I’ve got to keep up appearances.

Wilhelmina channeled Dimitri. “I’ve played every last one of them! More seriously, I believe this operation would offer us a higher chance of success as opposed to our standard plan.”

“I agree,” Gebhard said.

And now for the last part. The hardest one to explain.

“And to ensure its victory, I want to personally lead the Samarkand operation myself, alongside Gebhard.”

Everyone stared as if they had seen a ghost.

Understandable.

“Have you gone frakking mad, Willie?!” Gunduz pounded the table. “You’re not a general. You’re not even a soldier! You don’t even have any training! You’re not even combat age!”

Wilhelmina remained calm. “I’m still the true Kaiserin. There are Romans fighting in our grand army. Including some Heer divisions you put back under Gebhard’s command. I need to be there to lead my people. My people still don’t know I survived the bunker attack. The world still doesn’t know I’m alive. It’s time I told them.”

I was given this power for a reason. I have to use it to help our cause. No, we need it to fight the Crusaders.

“You can do it from the safety of Isfahan!”

“No, I have to be in Samarkand. I feel like I have to be there.”

“Do you have a death wish?!”

“As a matter of fact, she doesn’t,” Gebhard said, “I’ve seen what she can do. Willie, I’m not sure I agree with your idea, but I know where you’re coming from.”

“You’re siding with her?! What are you talking about?”

Gebhard took out his phone. “I have a video of something that went down in Yavdi.”

“Wait, you were recording?” Wilhelmina turned red. “Oh God, now I regret saying what I said.”

“Classic Willie. There was this one time she was fond of saying ‘This guy are sick’ [sic] and ‘ARVIS, YOU DASTARD!’ to literally everyone.”

Don’t remind me.

Gebhard connected the phone to the wall screen and played his video, which was of Wilhelmina fighting off Otso Bielke’s men in the village. The video ended with Wilhelmina jumping up and blasting down Otso’s helicopter.

My form and stances aren’t as good as I remembered, and my lines are kind of silly, but at least I’m not dead.

The generals started muttering to themselves.

“Is this video real?” Shayan said.

“Yes. I haven’t edited it in any way. Besides, I don’t know how to edit videos, I don’t have the software, my phone was almost out of power and I had no way of charging it for a while, and since I took that video, I’ve met nobody who can do any of that.”

“How is that possible?! You took on a helicopter with nothing but a sword? And won?!”

“Long story. I know it’s crazy to say that, but it happened.”

Now can we please just move on?

“What did you do? Where’d you get this power? What is it capable of doing? Can we use it in battle?”

“Yes, I would like to know that as well. Imagine that, Princess Four-Eyes is now a donghua protagonist, even though she’s not a teenage boy with spiky and colorful hair.”

I do fit into three of the standard tropes: “cool legendary sword,” “rightful heir to the throne of a conquered kingdom,” and, unfortunately, “dead family.”

Wilhelmina chuckled at that sentence. “I’m still trying to figure it out. But I know with this power, I can change things. I want to help out now. Too many people have died protecting me. It’s time I did what I could.”

“We should at least see how far this power of yours goes so you don’t get yourself blown up by a drone missile five minutes after arriving at Samarkand. This is nothing like fighting off some Yavdian bandits in a village.”

Wilhelmina nodded. “I know. That’s what Alexandra’s for, right?”

Went better than I expected.

---

After the meeting ended, Wilhelmina and Gebhard met Samir, Gulichi, Leyla, and Izinchi outside.

“You guys done for the day too?” Wilhelmina said.

“Our briefing was surprisingly short,” Samir said, “I’ve been promoted to corporal.”

“Guess we’ll have to get used to calling you Corporal Tetchu now,” Gebhard said.

“I won’t let you down, General Remmele. I’ve applied for a transfer into your division, sir.”

Gebhard pointed at himself, confused. “My division?”

Samir saluted. “Since I’m technically a deserter now, I’m no longer part of the Yavdian Army. Even if I wasn’t, the 53rd right now consists of two guys, one of whom is technically a conscript. Makes sense to fold it under your command. You seem to be a good commander, unlike Bielke. Sorry, Wilhelmina, I know Tayisung ordered me to guard you, but I can’t sit by.”

Guess this is the end of bodyguard Samir. He had a pretty good run these last two months. Somehow, he managed to live up to the standard Justin set.

“It’s okay. Do what you think is right.”

“Please, Samir, we’re not on duty right now. You can relax a little. Just call me Gebhard right now.”

“Got it. Oh, and since the 53rd is effectively dissolved, Gulichi here also transferred.”

Gulichi saluted. “Coporal Gulichi Juha, sir.”

“I see. Well, this ought to be interesting.”

“What about you, Leyla?” Wilhelmina said.

Leyla held up her hands. “Indefinite leave. My hands haven’t fully healed yet, so I can’t hold a gun. Freaking sucks. I want to defend my country, but my hands just won’t cooperate. Meanwhile my colleagues who’ve already joined Börte are getting all the glory in Taurica.”

“And you, Izinchi? How was the Majlis?”

Izinchi pumped her fists. “Feels just like the auld Reichsrat. A bunch of auld men who barely ken what they’re doing. At least they’re no committee. It’s almost nostalgic. I never thought I’d miss boring politics where nothing happens.”

“So we know what we’re going to do now.”

“Yep. Samir, Gulichi, you’re with me. We’ll head down to the barracks and begin organizing the division.”

“I’ve got another meeting at the Majlis tomorrow. You?”

“I’ve got a bunch of tests I need to do. Going to pay my old friend a visit.”

• 3Like
Reactions:
And so the counter attack begins. Or at least the planning of one.

I can only imagine how much of a pain it must be to make sure the city and road name's were correct.

Izinchi pumped her fists. “Feels just like the auld Reichsrat. A bunch of auld men who barely ken what they’re doing. At least they’re no committee. It’s almost nostalgic. I never thought I’d miss boring politics where nothing happens.”
On one hand I would agree but on the other that same "boring politics where nothing happens" is likely part of the reason that lead to the Committee taking over in the first place.

And so the counter attack begins. Or at least the planning of one.
Here we go.
I can only imagine how much of a pain it must be to make sure the city and road name's were correct.
It was. I spent a while looking over maps of the area to make sure I got the locations right relative to each other. Halfway through I realized I put Samarkand and a couple other cities on the wrong side of a highway and thus the Crusaders would be going the wrong way, which forced me to rewrite a lot of my discussion of tactics here.
On one hand I would agree but on the other that same "boring politics where nothing happens" is likely part of the reason that lead to the Committee taking over in the first place.
To be fair, boring politics where nothing happens, with the slight chance of improvement, is better than constant ridiculously chaotic political intrigue in which nothing gets done or regression happens. Or maybe Izinchi just wants the craziness to die down after it nearly killed her several dozen times.

Seeing she's alive would be a drastic help to general morale.

I reckon when Elias sees Willhelmina emerging and leading in the front he'd lost whatever amount of sanity he has left and will probably be both furious and become more insanely focused on his battlesuit training, maybe hurt himself in the process. I do hope this plan of theirs has some contingencies at the very least, even the most well thought out plans can end up in disastrous results.

I reckon when Elias sees Willhelmina emerging and leading in the front he'd lost whatever amount of sanity he has left and will probably be both furious and become more insanely focused on his battlesuit training, maybe hurt himself in the process. I do hope this plan of theirs has some contingencies at the very least, even the most well thought out plans can end up in disastrous results.
Or Elias lashes out at his allies and sabotages his own position in the process.

To be fair, boring politics where nothing happens, with the slight chance of improvement, is better than constant ridiculously chaotic political intrigue in which nothing gets done or regression happens. Or maybe Izinchi just wants the craziness to die down after it nearly killed her several dozen times.
Still tho, that shows the status quo of the old Reich is unacceptable after all that’s happened. Hopefully the legitimate concerns Baudet had regarding the stagnate neoliberal political climate or the the enviormental crisis don’t get swept under the rug or addressed with half measures due to how the Commitee twisted the CB movement for own aims,
like what happened with the heresies and Maximist movements. Unfortunately, at this point, it looks like the Reich maybe beyond saving, especially if Jerusalem’s victims both within the Reich and abroad are ever feeling vengeful.

I can actually see a study session on the history of Roman authoritarianism in the vain of the Handmaid’s Tale epilogue and Kraut and Whatifalthist’s respective videos on Russian and Chinese authoritarianism on Youtube when all this is over, assuming Jerusalem is defeated and the world recovers under meritocracy and democracy or Wihelmina’s superpowers don’t hamper the idea of constitutional limits or republicanism. Bonus points if you bring up the Investiture Controversy and Orthodox Ceasaropapism in that hypotheical lecture, since that seems like the origins of the Kaisers absolute secular and religious power.
It would also stick the middle finger in Elias' face, and he deserves it.
True, but there is always the greater than average chance that Elias will fully attack Persia the moment he learns Wilhelmina is there (and Theodor likely helping out to kill/capture Alex and Angelica’s groups and preventing cures to Super Smallpox being develope), which I don’t think Persia is ready for.

Now, for a more darker question. I’m afarid to ask this, but with the radicalization of the Roman people resulting in an act of terrorism like the Adamshaven shooting, I wonder if this book still exists, especially since you had an equivalent of the Oklahoma terrorist attack this book inspired happen in Trebizond. I’d be scared of it what would happen if the Commitee read it and were insipired by it, but hopefully the amateurish writing would turn off some of them like Josiah.