The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A fast, intense confrontation. Likely not the last for poor Willie.
If anything, it’ll be one of the first.
Definitely not the last as AnguishedOne said, gotta love the banter between Izinchi and Gebhard, a bit of light comedy to ease the danger they are all in. Also I'm still amused at the imagery of an Eimerican descended Scotswoman yelling her ass off, definitely not something you'd see in our own timeline, closest thing would be the TF2 Demoman.
Yeah I had a lot of fun writing Izinchi’s new lines. She’s gotten a lot more interesting since I gave her that accent.
Given Wilhelmina’s hesitation to kill anyone, even animals, things are about to get a lot more difficult than they already are, probably including moral quandaries that are even more challenging than wether or not she ends up killing people. Hopefully she manages to maintain her humanity and not become like those she fights against.
Hopefully she doesn’t herself become a vulture.
Is that a real thing or something you made up, cause that just reminds me of these statues that flank the entrance to Gondor from Lord of the Rings?
They actually do exist in real life. I was surprised to learn that when I looked up the real Orenburg on Wikipedia.
Just of curiosity, how much of the Kaisereich lore do you plan on changing up for your scenario, considering how different the early chapters of ROTCE1 were from established lore in other versions of Kaiserreich?
ROTCE1 was based on the incomplete and outdated (if not completely wrong in some places) lore of the unofficial Victoria 2 Kaiserreich version, and the story added my own (at the point uninformed) spin on the canon from a game start in 1921. Admittedly I barely did any research and only knew broad strokes of what the KR lore was in 2014-15. My approach for ROTCE2 is to be fully canon compliant with the latest lore (up to the point where I am considering waiting until certain reworks are released for major nations like France, Britain, Russia, Austria, and Japan if not Germany itself and a possible second Qing rework before starting the game), but I will be researching stuff like World War I and interwar society to make sure I capture the world and represent my characters properly. Really my only big change to the KR lore is adding Stargate (and one more thing) into the mix, though that will generally remain separate from the non-SG story.

Reactions:
I might actually use it for general research on the Weltkrieg in ROTCE2, since I have to really rework the point of divergence.
Yea the Great War channel would be a great resource for that since not only did they do the show week by week so it would be easy to find out were in were war you want to change but they also list the sources they used. They also have specials on things like the various countries and what happened to them before and during the war, some of the technology like the weapons' that the soldier might have used, autobiographies of different people from generals to writer's like J.R.R. Tolkien and nurses like Edith Cavell, etc, etc.

A giant brown blur zoomed out of the darkness, claws and fangs gleaming in the dim firelight, and a guttural roar broke through the smothering silent darkness, chilling her down to the bone just as much as the nighttime cold. Her rifle’s muzzle flashed once, then twice, before it was swatted out of her hands. A split second later, she was on the ground. The bear’s open mouth snapped at her head just inches away, assaulting her nose with rank breath, her ears with a point blank roar, and her face with copious amounts of saliva.
Yea know at this point I will take a bear attacking them over Han or the Committee.

The bear charged at the kids. Ilyana pushed Friedrich behind her and defiantly stretched out her arms. Without hesitation, Wilhelmina surged forward, again boosted by that superhuman speed that helped her in Ilmarisen Takomo. In less than a second, she had put herself between Ilyana and the bear, and a split second later, she plunged Enonon into the bear’s heart. The bear’s eyes widened with shock. It roared and screamed, its pain clearly audible. Wilhelmina pulled the blade out and let the dying bear fall on the ground next to her. It twitched and flailed for a few seconds before going still.
Well I guess a silver lining in all of this could be if they know how to preserve the meat then they could have food sorted for a few days.

Given Wilhelmina’s hesitation to kill anyone, even animals, things are about to get a lot more difficult than they already are, probably including moral quandaries that are even more challenging than wether or not she ends up killing people. Hopefully she manages to maintain her humanity and not become like those she fights against.
Hopefully she doesn’t herself become a vulture.
This reminds me of a scene from The Expanse in were then Secretary-General Esteban Sorrento-Gillis asks Anna Volovodov something along the lines of "How many good men need to die for a leader to still be a good person?" to which she replies with "As few as possible.".

ROTCE1 was based on the incomplete and outdated (if not completely wrong in some places) lore of the unofficial Victoria 2 Kaiserreich version, and the story added my own (at the point uninformed) spin on the canon from a game start in 1921. Admittedly I barely did any research and only knew broad strokes of what the KR lore was in 2014-15. My approach for ROTCE2 is to be fully canon compliant with the latest lore (up to the point where I am considering waiting until certain reworks are released for major nations like France, Britain, Russia, Austria, and Japan if not Germany itself and a possible second Qing rework before starting the game), but I will be researching stuff like World War I and interwar society to make sure I capture the world and represent my characters properly. Really my only big change to the KR lore is adding Stargate (and one more thing) into the mix, though that will generally remain separate from the non-SG story.
For ROTCE2 are you going to do Kaiserreich in HOI4 or are you going to use the Victoria 2 version but just use the up-to-date HOI4 lore?

Last edited:
Yea the Great War channel would be a great resource for that since not only did they do the show week by week so it would be easy to find out were in were war you want to change but they also list the sources they used. They also have specials on things like the various countries and what happened to them before and during the war, some of the technology like the weapons' that the soldier might have used, autobiographies of different people from generals to writer's like J.R.R. Tolkien and nurses like Edith Cavell, etc, etc.
Sounds good. I really want to see biographies of people from the era in case I want to have them as characters or base other characters on their experiences.
Yea know at this point I will take a bear attacking them over Han or the Committee.
At least a bear's just a bear.
Well I guess a silver lining in all of this could be if they know how to preserve the meat then they could have food sorted for a few days.
Bear's probably radioactive though.
This reminds me of a scene from The Expanse in were then Secretary-General Esteban Sorrento-Gillis asks Anna Volovodov something along the lines of "How many good men need to die for a leader to still be a good person?" to which she replies with "As few as possible.".
Funny enough I am planning on adapting a certain Season 6 speech into the story at some point...
For ROTCE2 are you going to do Kaiserreich in HOI4 or are you going to use the Victoria 2 version but just use the up-to-date HOI4 lore?
Definitely HOI4 so I have the scenario and everything else ready to go. I no longer have time to do significant Victoria 2 modding, and I'm pretty sure the original mod hasn't even been updated since the time of ROTCE1. Not to mention it takes extraordinary liberties with the KR lore since it starts in 1921 and has very little content in the way of events and decisions. I would rather start in 1936 with KR4. HOI4 is also easier to mod since I want to script some countries' paths and add some content of my own (nothing breaking pre-1936 canon, but it may break game balance).

Faith

Scandinavian government refugee camp, Tingvalla - December 21

Tingvalla was a small town in the center of Scandinavia, situated on the delta where the Klaräven River ran into Lake Vänern. A former Viking-era political center and marketplace, its distance from the Stockholm and Oslo metropolitan areas made it a prime vacation spot for people looking for a getaway to the countryside. At least until the war broke out. With the gassing and firebombing of every major Scandinavian city, thousands fled inland to Tingvalla, which hadn’t been touched by the Crusader offensive. The Scandinavian government had set up a refugee camp here for all those city dwellers who had to leave their homes, but as Stockholm remained almost completely uninhabitable, it had effectively become a provisional capital as well. At first, the refugees were settled in shelters formerly used for homeless people and immigrants from the Eimericas. After those were filled up and more arrived, some Tingvalla inhabitants offered to house the newcomers in their homes; the town claimed to be the sunniest town in Scandinavia, both in terms of kindness and literal sunlight. However, both of those soon ran out as the skies remained shrouded by orange-gray clouds and the townspeople’s homes reached full capacity, yet still more refugees came. In the end, the government hastily constructed a tent city on the shores of Lake Vänern.

On the morning of the winter solstice, Clara walked through the “streets” of the Tingvalla tent city. She kept her head down and her hands in her pockets, one hand closed around a pocketknife and the other around a rations card. Kroners were next to useless these days, forcing the desperate refugees to resort to bartering for things they couldn’t get through rations. If they couldn’t barter for it, they simply took it by force. The collapse of Scandinavian society had forced them all to turn into rats, scavenging for scraps. Or maybe vultures would be more appropriate. No, those were the ones who caused the collapse. The rats were the ones trying to survive amid the ruins.

I did not survive Berlin, Bremerhaven, and Heligoland just to end up right where I started.

A ragged man sat outside his tent. He had a long and unkempt beard. He wore the remains of a business suit—probably a banker from Stockholm. His hair was frayed and weirdly colored. His face was horrifically scarred disfigured by chemical burns, as were his arms. One of his shaking hands held out a cup.

God morgon, fröken,” he said, “Can you…”

Clara’s hearing aid glitched out, so she couldn’t hear the rest of what he said. She tapped a couple times to fix it. At least until the next time it broke.

“Can you spare some change today?” he repeated.

“I’m sorry,” Clara said, “I still don’t have money.”

Spent the last of my pocket change on a lamp and blankets for Oliver.

The banker coughed and clutched his stomach.

“Are you okay, sir?”

He held up a hand. “I’m fine, fröken. Nothing major.”

“You should see a doctor.”

“You think I haven’t already? They’re all dead. Or busy. Or charge an arm and a leg. But don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. You still don’t have money? Focus on yourself first.”

“But didn’t you just ask—”

“I’ve seen you with your family these last couple days. After reflecting a little, I think you should worry about them more than this good old banker who has run out of money. Just go get your rations.”

“I can’t just leave you like this,” Clara said.

Det är ingen ko på isen, fröken!” He waved furiously and dismissively. “Just go!”

Grr…fine. Have it your way.

Clara continued walking down the road, eventually reaching a blue tent marked with the UN insignia. Two peacekeepers stood watch at the entrance. She showed her ration card to the peacekeepers, who let her inside. It was early in the morning, but the breakfast queue was already long.

Usually you’d only see a line this long and early at a sale on Black Tuesday, after Erntedankfest. After all of the festivities wrapped up on Monday, everyone would go home the next day to start their holiday week. Stores would put out really good sales that week, and people would crowd outside the door late Monday night to be first in the next morning. Now, instead of lining up for TVs and shoes, we’re lining up for smörgås and knäckebröd. Not even any coffee; if they could barely import coffee beans from the Eimericas and Abyssinia before the gas attacks, it’s completely impossible now. I read Scandinavians are some of the most avid coffee drinkers in the world. This country’s already at the breaking point. I shudder to imagine what would happen once everyone here realizes we’re all out of coffee for at least another few years.

“Bored, huh?” Clara turned to face the old woman who had addressed her. From her clothes—which looked like they came out of the 80s or 90s—and the colorful shawl covering her blond and white hair, she looked Russian.

“Yeah, tell me about it,” Clara said.

“I see you always come here at this time. Always in a hurry. You have a family?”

“A wife and son,” Clara said, “You?”

The woman looked away. “I had a sister, once. A daughter, too. They’re both gone now.”

So she’s lost people too. I don’t know who has it worse: kids who lose their parents, or parents who lose their kids.

“I’m…I’m so sorry,” Clara said, “Do you have any other family?”

“My husband died several years ago. Lucky him, dying before everything went to helvete. My son Valentin…I don’t know where he is now.”

“I hope he’s okay.”

The old woman smiled. “Thanks, dear.”

Clara thought for a moment. “I don’t think I got your name. What was it?”

“You can just call me Irina,” Irina said.

“Nice to meet you, Irina. I’m Clara.”

“Clara…a nice name. I’d shake your hand, but…”. She gestured to the sling holding her right arm. “That accent of yours…you from the Reich?”

“Yeah. Berlin. Wife was from Kiel.”

Irina looked down. “I’m so sorry. It must have been so difficult, getting out.”

“It was,” Clara said.

“As my accent probably told you, I came from Russia after the last war, my sister and I. While the circumstances of our leaving Russia are hard to explain right now, we effectively had nothing but the clothes on our backs. Like Sbyslava fleeing across the Baltic 120 years ago. I settled in Stockholm with an aunt who got there before us, and my sister went to Frankfurt, then Constantinople, then Berlin, then back to Russia.”

“What happened to her?”

Irina hesitated for a moment, looking down. Her face suddenly grew sullen. “She died in Tsarberg. I begged her to leave before the fighting reached it, but she refused. Said she wanted to save as many people as she wanted. My sister was always a stubborn one.”

Clara moved forward in line. “I guess she got what she wanted in the end.”

Irina moved up. “You could say that.”

“I won’t forget what she did for us, then.”

Irina gave her a weird look.

“What, did I say something wrong?” Clara said.

Irina shook her head. “No, it’s fine. I just…didn’t expect those words to come from your mouth.”

They reached the head of the line. A UN aid worker handed Clara a paper plate with an open sandwich, a smörgås. In between the buttered knäckebröd, or crisp bread, laid a mix of ham, cheese, tomatoes, and cucumber.

“Excuse me, young man, do you have any milk?” Irina said.

That man looks 45, though.

“Sorry, ma’am, we ran out yesterday.”

Irina sighed. “Do you know how vital calcium is to your bones, especially when you’re my age?”

“Ma’am, I don’t control the schedule.”

“Yes, I know, but I’m just frustrated—”

“We all are,” Clara interrupted, “It’s okay, Irina. Hopefully things get better soo.”

Irina nodded. “I get it. My apologies, young man.”

Guy has a full beard like my uncle!

“Hey, would you mind putting her food in a bag?” Clara asked. “Because, you know…”

The aid worker held up a brown bag. “Do it every day she’s here, lady.”

“Irina, you mind if I carry it for you?”

Irina smiled. “I’d love that.”

They left the UN tent and headed back down the dirt path. Clara struggled to hold onto her own plate as well as Irina’s bag. The uneven path, strewn with pebbles, pitfalls, and puddles, made things a little more difficult.

“Are you sure you can do that?” Irina said. “You know I still have my other hand.”

“No, I can do it,” Clara said, “Where’s your place, by the way?”

Irina pointed down the path and motioned to the right. “Oh, it’s a couple intersections down, turn right, third tent on the right. Can’t miss it.”

“I mean your old place, from before.”

“Oh. I had a house in the Stockholm suburbs. It was my aunt’s for decades. Raised my kids there.” Irina smiled, as if remembering fond memories.

“I had a place in Berlin, eight years ago,” Clara said, “Sylvia and I bought it soon after we married. Chose it for the good school nearby we wanted to send our kid to. Next to a bus stop with a convenient line into downtown, got me to the Athanatoi headquarters without any transfers.”

“You worked at the Athanatoi?”

“Yeah, for a time. On something called the X-Division.”

Irina slightly raised an eyebrow. “The X-Division?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

Irina shook her head. “No, it’s nothing. Maybe I’ll ask later.”

“Bloody Tuesday happened, and that place no longer became safe for us. So we sold it, and Sylvia used the money to go buy a place in Oslo, near her parents.”

“I suppose that didn’t work out as well?”

“Yeah, obviously. Though it wasn’t as easy as I just explained. Had to go through a little place called Bremerhaven just to get to Oslo. Was stuck there for a few years.”

“That must have been rough.”

Clara sighed. “Tell me about it.”

“I know what it’s like to be stuck in a warzone. I was stuck in Prague in 1972. I was only a toddler at the time. Lost my parents during the Soviet crackdown.”

“But it all worked out, didn’t it?”

“As you would say, it wasn’t as easy as I just explained.”

“Fair enough.”

They came across the penniless banker again. He still sat where he did, but he was no longer holding his cup. “Ah, hello again. I see you got breakfast.”

“You should get some too,” Clara said.

“Maybe once my legs stop aching.”

“Are you okay, young man?” Irina said.

“Old lady, I’m fine. My body just aches sometimes.”

“You very clearly have burn scars,” Irina said, “Those don’t look superficial either.”

“Thanks for stating the obvious, Grandma.”

“I don’t even have grandchildren yet. Valentin’s got no kids and Tania’s dead.”

“Okay, I really think you need to see a doctor, sir,” Clara said.

“Did you really forget what I said just half an hour ago?” the banker said. “There’s nobody around to help me.”

“Actually, there may be someone,” Irina said.

The banker looked surprised. “Who?”

---

They now found themselves in front of a dark blue tent marked with a six-petaled rose inside a circle, one of the symbols of the Slavic religion. As Clara was still carrying both her and Irina’s breakfasts, Irina used her free hand to help the banker walk with them.

“Okay, let me get this straight,” the banker said, “Your idea of a doctor is…a priest?”

“There may be more to it thank you think,” Irina said.

The banker threw up his scarred hands as much as he could. “Listen, old lady, I’m in the business of making money, not seeking answers to life’s greatest mysteries. I know faith is a great way to move forward in a broken world, but last I heard, priests aren’t surgeons.”

“Why’d you bring us to the Temple of Veles?” Clara said.

“I know the volkhv here,” Irina said, “A traveling priest who was based in southern Russia before and made his way here. He’s very good at his work.”

“I’m not so sure about this.”

“Come on, Clara, have a little faith.”

Clara shook her head. “That might be harder than you think.”

“Why’s that?”

Clara’s fists instinctively clenched up, her mind racing with memories of the last 8 years. Her blood began boiling.

“How can I have faith after what the committee did? My family were practicing Christians before. We went to church every Sunday at 8. Said the Lord’s Prayer before each meal. Tried to live by Christ’s example. The committee came and said we were heretics and sinners. They twisted Christianity into a horrible monstrosity and said anyone who wasn’t with them was against God, then murdered them. Said I was damned to hell because I married not only a woman but a Vanatruar, then tried to make my life into a living hell. I haven’t been able to pray since Bremerhaven. I tried to go to church. But the instant I even see the inside of a church, I start seeing the committee. Seeing the Shepherds of the Future. Remembering the suffering they brought to Bremerhaven while I was there. Hearing the bombs and gunfire that made me have to wear this stupid broken hearing aid. Seeing the nuke obliterate Bremerhaven even though my eyes were closed. Knowing then and there that my remaining friends were most certainly dead. Hearing the damned tyrant—curses be on his name for all eternity, and I will not dignify him with his name or the title of Kaiser—nullify the Augustinian code bit by bit. Hearing that airport security agent stop me from getting on that plane with Sylvia and Oliver, separating us for years and trapping me in a totalitarian dictatorship that wanted me dead. Remembering the smugness dripping from his mouth. Where was God when all this happened? If God is all-knowing and all-seing and all-loving, then why the absolute hell did he let someone as horrible as the committee come to power and do all this?!”

Irina stood there, quietly listening even as Clara’s voice reached a fever pitch. When Clara finished, she merely nodded.

“I’m sorry you feel that way. You know, I was like that as a kid. I was not more than a teenager when I left the CSSR and found freedom in Scandinavia. Not much older when the war ended and Russia changed beyond recognition. Those early years were tough. I was raised in the waning years of the Soviet regime, and the Party was all I knew. But thanks to my sister’s efforts, that changed. In Scandinavia, I rediscovered the gods. Or rather, they had always been with me, but I hadn’t noticed them until then. These gods aren’t omnipotent or omniscient like your God, which I think made it easier for me to accept their absence from our lives. How do I reconcile the gods with the brutalities the Soviet regime committed? With the fact that they never once lifted a finger against Varennikov or any of the other Party leaders? Well, my belief is the gods would rather let us keep our free will. Make these mistakes so we learn from them and move forward. Instead of having them solve our problems for us. And it worked out in the end. The Soviets fell. As was foreseen by the gods, probably. Just trust your God believes in your ability to solve your own problems. That He doesn’t have to save you yet when you can still save yourself. The day of our death may be determined by the Rozhanitsy, but everything before then is in our hands. It’s our job to live our own lives.”

“That’s a nice speech and all, but we’ve been standing in front of this temple for five minutes, and I’m not sure if we should go in or go back,” the banker said, “Can we go back?”

“Alright, alright, let’s go in,” Irina said.

Jävlar!”

They went inside. Compared to the UN food tent, the temple tent was quiet and subdued. Candles were placed on the floor, and Clara smelled incense in the air. A plastic table had been set up, on which were placed two books: the Volkhovnik—a book of divination—and the Book of Rod. The man sitting at the table looked youg; his dark blue priestly robes looked a little too big on him, but the rest of his proportions made it seem like he was a man in his forties or fifties. He wore a necklace with the same six-petaled rose in circle symbol, much in the same way Clara would have worn a crucifix necklace before. He had a small face and no beard, almost like a man in his twenties.

He spoke calmly and warmly, in a dignified manner. “Privyet, and dobroye utro. What brings you here today?”

“Hello, Joey, it’s me again,” Irina casually replied, “We need your help with this guy.”

Joey sighed, and he quickly dropped his dignified demeanor. “Come on, Irina, another one? You know I can’t keep this up.”

“You can fit one more person into your busy schedule.”

“If word gets out…”

“Word won’t get out. It didn’t get out before, and it didn’t get out after. I didn’t tell anyone about my arm, nobody else would tell either.”

“Your…arm?” Clara said.

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” the banker said.

“Just trust me,” Irina said, “All will be explained. Just keep it to yourself when it is.”

Joey sighed. “Alright, alright, fine. You owe me another one, Irina.”

“I’m going to consider it part of the favor I already owe you. Still working on the property deeds. By the way, housing prices have really gone down lately, especially on the Norwegian coast, which sucks because the economy is absolutely broken and nobody can take advantage of this, including myself—”

“Irina.” Clara folded her arms.

Irina stopped. “Fine, I’ll wait until later.”

“Come over here,” Joey beckoned.

The banker sat at the table. “So, uh…what do I do?”

“Nothing,” Joey said, “Just close your eyes and relax.”

The banker did so. Joey raised his hands and chanted something in archaic Russian.

“The chant’s actually useless,” Irina whispered, “He’s just saying ‘I am speaking random words which mean nothing but everyone still believes it’.”

“Why are you telling me this now?!” Clara whispered back.

Irina shrugged. “I thought you should know.”

“So what was the whole point of coming here?”

“You’ll see.”

“Merciful Veles, please look upon this poor soul and consult with the Rozhanitsy,” Joey said in modern Russian, “Let it be known this man still has much to live for, and he desires the freedom to live a longer life as he sees fit. My Father who lives under the earth, grant this man your blessing!”

He looked at the banker. “Okay, that’s it. We’re done.”

“Wait, that’s it?” the banker said.

“Yeah, what else did you expect?”

“That was barely a minute.”

“Well, I’m on a tight schedule, and so is Veles,” Joey said.

“So what do I do now?”

“Wait.”

“For how long?” The banker looked impatient.

Joey checked his watch. “About…a minute or so.”

“What did you do?” Clara said.

“Oh, just sent a prayer down to Veles. He’s normally chill with prayers. Pretty helpful these days, which is ironic given his personal situation.”

“Don’t think about packing up again,” Irina said.

“Hey, just because I was a wandering nomad for the last 20 years doesn’t mean I’m going to bail on Tingvalla like that!”

The banker looked at his hands and gasped.

“Wait…impossible!”

“What is?” Clara said.

She looked at the banker’s arms and also gasped. All of his wounds were gone. His face was no longer scarred. And presumably the rest of his body got the same treatment.

“I’m…fully healed…this has got to be a dream…” He felt his face and ran his hands up his arms.

“If this is a dream, then I’m having the same one,” Clara said, “What just happened?”

“Veles answered my prayer,” Joey said.

Irina snickered and rolled her eyes.

“V-Veles?” The banker's eyes widened. “You mean…he did this?”

Joey smiled. “Yeah, totally. You’re all good to go. Just make sure not to…be too vocal about it. I’m not a big fan of black ops groups descending on our little camp to abduct me for some experiments.”

“WOOHOO!” The banker shot out of his seat and punched the air with vigor. “YEAH! I haven’t felt this strong in months! It’s like I’m a whole new man! Thanks, Veles, you’re the best! I’ll make sure to go to temple every week now! And you said you need help with real estate? Guess what bankers can help with! Suck on it, health insurance!”

He ran out of the tent.

“They always act like this,” Joey said.

“He didn’t even get our numbers,” Irina said, “How’s he going to help the project if he can’t contact us?”

“Eh, you can find him later.”

“Uh…mind explaining what the frak I just saw?” Clara said.

“Well, it’s a long story that might involve X-Division, so I’ll explain it later and give you the short answer now,” Irina said.

“And that is?”

“Faith, Clara. The gods are always there, always watching. They hold free will as their highest principle. So when death threatens to take that free will away far before its time—even if the guy was just scarred—then they will ask the Rozhanitsy to reconsider. To give more time. More time to shape your life. All you need is faith. Not only faith in the gods, but also faith in yourself.”

Joey walked over and tapped Irina’s broken arm. “If that’s the short answer, I don’t want to be around for the long one.”

“What did you do?”

“Favor for your other arm. That one’s on the house, after I saw this lady here carrying your food. You really get around with just one arm these days? Wonder how you got around with both arms broken.”

Both arms?!” Clara was incredulous. “How?!”

“As I said, have faith, Clara.” Irina smiled again.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Though not for anyone in narrative, this feels like something of a reunion to me. Scattered people finding someone to rely on.

Though not for anyone in narrative, this feels like something of a reunion to me. Scattered people finding someone to rely on.
Faith can be a powerful motivating and unifying force, for better or worse.

Seeing Irina again, ah what a reunion indeed for us, the audience. A bit of faith in such troubled times would go a long way tbh, so long as it isn't twisted to nefarious means.

Bear's probably radioactive though.
Well at least it was still a bear and not a radioactive monstrosity from Fallout.

At first, the refugees were settled in shelters formerly used for homeless people and immigrants from the Eimericas. After those were filled up and more arrived, some Tingvalla inhabitants offered to house the newcomers in their homes; the town claimed to be the sunniest town in Scandinavia, both in terms of kindness and literal sunlight.
When watching the Great War they told a story about how at the start of the Great War the refugees from eastern France and Belgium were welcomed in Britain and in the parts of France not damaged in the war but over time the people native to those areas became ant-refugee. I guess stories like this are true no matter what time in history you look at unfortunately.

Now, instead of lining up for TVs and shoes, we’re lining up for smörgås and knäckebröd.
Well at least it is not bad enough that people are lining up for Surströmming yet. :D

Clara thought for a moment. “I don’t think I got your name. What was it?”

“You can just call me Irina,” Irina said.

“Nice to meet you, Irina. I’m Clara.”
I have loved this meeting between Clara and Irina.

“How can I have faith after what the committee did? My family were practicing Christians before. We went to church every Sunday at 8. Said the Lord’s Prayer before each meal. Tried to live by Christ’s example. The committee came and said we were heretics and sinners. They twisted Christianity into a horrible monstrosity and said anyone who wasn’t with them was against God, then murdered them. Said I was damned to hell because I married not only a woman but a Vanatruar, then tried to make my life into a living hell. I haven’t been able to pray since Bremerhaven. I tried to go to church. But the instant I even see the inside of a church, I start seeing the committee. Seeing the Shepherds of the Future. Remembering the suffering they brought to Bremerhaven while I was there. Hearing the bombs and gunfire that made me have to wear this stupid broken hearing aid. Seeing the nuke obliterate Bremerhaven even though my eyes were closed. Knowing then and there that my remaining friends were most certainly dead. Hearing the damned tyrant—curses be on his name for all eternity, and I will not dignify him with his name or the title of Kaiser—nullify the Augustinian code bit by bit. Hearing that airport security agent stop me from getting on that plane with Sylvia and Oliver, separating us for years and trapping me in a totalitarian dictatorship that wanted me dead. Remembering the smugness dripping from his mouth. Where was God when all this happened? If God is all-knowing and all-seing and all-loving, then why the absolute hell did he let someone as horrible as the committee come to power and do all this?!”
I fell like a lot of people will be Atheist after all of this is over.

“I’m sorry you feel that way. You know, I was like that as a kid. I was not more than a teenager when I left the CSSR and found freedom in Scandinavia. Not much older when the war ended and Russia changed beyond recognition. Those early years were tough. I was raised in the waning years of the Soviet regime, and the Party was all I knew. But thanks to my sister’s efforts, that changed. In Scandinavia, I rediscovered the gods. Or rather, they had always been with me, but I hadn’t noticed them until then. These gods aren’t omnipotent or omniscient like your God, which I think made it easier for me to accept their absence from our lives. How do I reconcile the gods with the brutalities the Soviet regime committed? With the fact that they never once lifted a finger against Varennikov or any of the other Party leaders? Well, my belief is the gods would rather let us keep our free will. Make these mistakes so we learn from them and move forward. Instead of having them solve our problems for us. And it worked out in the end. The Soviets fell. As was foreseen by the gods, probably. Just trust your God believes in your ability to solve your own problems. That He doesn’t have to save you yet when you can still save yourself. The day of our death may be determined by the Rozhanitsy, but everything before then is in our hands. It’s our job to live our own lives.”
This reminds me of the end of the X-Division arc in were Raphael and Wilhelm realized that even they were powerless to stop everything that has happened. However even if they wanted to or could I do not think that they would have done anything because like this paragraph says they want us humans to get through this nightmare on our own.

Not only do we get to see Clara and Irina interact, but we even see the Pagan Gods showing up in this arc, this really is a reunion update even through Clara doesn't know Irina or the Pagan Gods.

I must say through it took the Pagan Gods long enough to show up even with how many of their followers Jerusalem has been killing or converting. Yes, I know they care about the free will of their worshippers and all that, I just find it funny since their power kind of depends on how many followers they have unlike the Abrahamic God, so they should probably care about the Committee killing or forcibly assimilating them.

That aside, I must say Clara's gotten very interesting over the course of this arc ever since she was introduced, I especially love her family dynamics and how the themes of trauma and being shaken/disillusioned in faith are explored in her arc, given how much those themes are prevalent in the Handmaid's Tale. Her interactions with Irina in this update are just wonderful, and I can't wait to see what you continue to do with them (short of Josh venting to Scandinavia to kill them or them catching Smallpox and stuff like that).

Seeing Irina again, ah what a reunion indeed for us, the audience. A bit of faith in such troubled times would go a long way tbh, so long as it isn't twisted to nefarious means.
Religion in itself isn’t good or bad. It’s how people and institutions use it that’s good or bad.
Well at least it was still a bear and not a radioactive monstrosity from Fallout.
Indeed.
Well at least it is not bad enough that people are lining up for Surströmming yet. :D
At this rate, they might be lining up for that soon.
I have loved this meeting between Clara and Irina.
One meeting I actually didn’t plan ahead in advance until I realized they were in the same place at the same time.
I fell like a lot of people will be Atheist after all of this is over.
And then in the former Reich you’ll have a deeply religious conservative population since everyone else was either purged or scared away from non-conservatism.
When watching the Great War they told a story about how at the start of the Great War the refugees from eastern France and Belgium were welcomed in Britain and in the parts of France not damaged in the war but over time the people native to those areas became ant-refugee. I guess stories like this are true no matter what time in history you look at unfortunately.
Many people are open to welcoming refugees…but some quickly change when they move in next to them. “Not in my backyard” is a very common sentiment in these kinds of issues.
Not only do we get to see Clara and Irina interact, but we even see the Pagan Gods showing up in this arc, this really is a reunion update even through Clara doesn't know Irina or the Pagan Gods.
Technically Joey is a demigod but agreed.
I must say through it took the Pagan Gods long enough to show up even with how many of their followers Jerusalem has been killing or converting. Yes, I know they care about the free will of their worshippers and all that, I just find it funny since their power kind of depends on how many followers they have unlike the Abrahamic God, so they should probably care about the Committee killing or forcibly assimilating them.
Or the purge happened so quickly and suddenly that they lost their remaining followers and powers before they could even react.
That aside, I must say Clara's gotten very interesting over the course of this arc ever since she was introduced, I especially love her family dynamics and how the themes of trauma and being shaken/disillusioned in faith are explored in her arc, given how much those themes are prevalent in the Handmaid's Tale. Her interactions with Irina in this update are just wonderful, and I can't wait to see what you continue to do with them (short of Josh venting to Scandinavia to kill them or them catching Smallpox and stuff like that).
I didn’t expect Clara to become a major character like this, as I was intending to end her story after reuniting with Sylvia, but then I couldn’t not address her fate after the whole chemical razing. She really sheds a light on how the average person is surviving in these horrible times. She isn’t some all-important rightful heir and chosen one like Wilhelmina or someone with resources and a safe haven like Alex’s group, but also doesn’t have it as bad as our French rebels. All she wants is to save her family. I liked discussing how she deals with her trauma and everything that’s happened to her over the last 8 years, since that highlights the real consequences of Jerusalem and its war. It would be be very realistic if she made it to Scandinavia perfectly fine. She’s still human, like everyone suffering through this war.

Reactions:
New Ideas

Ali Qapu Palace, Isfahan - December 22

Magnus nervously stood at the head of the table. He tried not to think about what the generals and Gunduz were thinking. Nevertheless, his hands shook wildly, and he could barely keep his legs still.

Come on, Alexandra, why’d you have to do this to me?

“So, uh…” he said. “T-To continue, we were o-operating under t-the assumption that w-we had to fully disable a Panopticon. But we’ve d-determined that is…n-not a good outcome.”

Gunduz scoffed. “So you’re telling me all of your work for the last two months was for nothing? Do you have any idea how much money I allocated for this project?”

“No, no, I’m not suggesting this who project was a waste!” Magnus threw his hands up. “I’m suggesting we change the goal of this project to something more effective.”

“What the frak could be more effective than turning off a Panopticon? It shouldn’t be that difficult. Unless I severely overestimated your capabilities, Kvensen.”

Next time, you’re presenting, Alexandra.

“We know the main feature of a Panopticon is to relay tactical data directly between commander and soldier. So far, we’ve been focusing on interrupting the data transfer from commander to soldier, thus forcing the soldier to fight on their own. But we forgot that data is also sent the other way: from soldier to commander. If we disable a Panopticon, it stands to reason that the commander would learn instantly and adjust his tactics accordingly. Argus could even start working on countermeasures. And then we’d be back to square one.”

“I still don’t see the point,” Gunduz said, “You’re still saying everything you’ve worked on is for nothing. Why should I keep giving you money?”

“Because we don’t have to outright disable the Panopticon,” Magnus said, “We found an exploit in the code that would allow us to inject our own scripts. We could use it to send ourselves a copy of the tactical data the soldier has. That way, the commanders and Argus wouldn’t know anything’s off. And we’d even the playing field.”

“Spy on their communications…” Gunduz said. “Just like cracking the Angeloi’s Labyrinth.”

“Exactly. We could gain access to everything those soldiers experience, without Argus catching on.”

Gunduz thought for a moment.

“Interesting,” she said, “I like that idea. But it runs into the same problem as direct nullification. Once we make use of the information we gained, they’ll know we cracked their code.”

“On the contrary, the Angeloi never found out Labyrinth was compromised,” Magnus said, “They didn’t know that intel gained from Labyrinth was crucial for Kaiser Otto taking back Constantinople and turning the war around. If we play our cards well, Argus may never know we cracked the Panopticons. Whereas if we just disable them all, they’ll know instantly. But that’s a job for your intelligence agencies.”

The generals murmured some vague approvals in Farsi.

“I see what you mean, Kvensen,” Gunduz said, “Alright, I’ll allow this change in plans. But that won’t change your schedule or your funding. I expect a working prototype as soon as possible.”

“Of course,” Magnus said, “Thank you, ma’am.”

“Don’t thank me yet. I may still reconsider. Please leave the room before I do.”

When Gunduz says to leave, you leave. Not that I was going to stay anyways.

“Oh, and a piece of advice, Kvensen. I might take you more seriously if your voice wasn’t quivering.”

---

Magnus slumped into his chair. “AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Thea looked at him. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, no big deal, I just had to deal with Gunduz the Blunt again. Damnit Alexandra, why’d you have to do that to me?”

“Actually, about that…” Thea said. “I think that was me.”

Magnus stared at her. “You did that?”

“More like Alex and I agreed we weren’t going to talk to her again, then Alexandra pitched in. Unfortunately, you were the last one.”

“We really should figure out who’s best at talking to her,” Magnus said.

“For the record, last week I suggested we rotate the presenter. That way it’s fair.”

“Yeah, we all suffer, instead of just me.” Magnus rolled his eyes.

“I mean, someone has to do it.”

“Can’t we just find someone to present for us?”

“Who do you have in mind?” Thea asked.

Magnus shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe someone funny. Gunduz is always so serious. Maybe she just needs to cheer up every now and then.”

“Are you volunteering again?” Thea said.

“Where’d you get that?!”

“I see how you can make Alexandra laugh. Meanwhile Alex doesn’t really do jokes.”

“What about you?” Magnus said.

Thea pointed at herself. “Me?”

“Come on, you’ve got to have a sense of humor, right?”

Thea crossed her arms. “You’re asking that of an orphaned girl whose brother is a crazy Christofascist genocidal maniacal capitalist who only cares about profits and more profits.”

“So I’ll take that as a yes?” Magnus said.

Thea said nothing. She awkwardly looked away.

“Looks like you and Alex have one more thing in common,” Magnus said.

“Okay, fine, I’m terrible at jokes,” Thea said, “Then what?”

“Then we’ll have to work on that.” Magnus pulled out his phone. “Come on, load…I know there are still a few Internet satellites that haven’t exploded yet, so why the frak are you so slow?!”

“What are you searching for?”

“A way to pass on my glorious joking skills to you.”

“Magnus, this isn’t the time to look up jokes. We’re in the middle of a huge war for the fate of the world, and the free world is depending on us getting this nullifier working.”

“Yeah, well, we’ve got time,” Magnus said, “Our next meeting with Gunduz is in…uh, two weeks or so?”

Thea facepalmed. “This isn’t going to end well.”

“Think of this as payback for sending me to talk to Gunduz today.”

---

Alex walked into Alexandra’s office.

“Hey, have you seen Thea?” he said. “I need to talk to her about a new idea I just got for the nullifier.”

Alexandra looked up from her desk. “Sorry, I think she left a couple hours ago. Magnus said he was going to teach her some social skills, or something.”

Alex frowned. “Social skills?”

“Beats me.” Alexandra shrugged. “I’m just as confused as you are. So they’re hitting the town.”

“Leaving us to do today’s work ourselves.”

“Yeah. So I guess you can tell me your idea?”

Do I need to tell you? I was working on this with Thea, but she’s out. You need to focus on the betharium reactor. The nullifier is my idea.

“Uh…I’m not sure if this is a good time.”

“Come on, Alex, we’re all in this together!” Alexandra said.

Alex, you should know better. Where was Alexandra when you needed her most in high school? When all that happened between you and Josh? Wait, what am I thinking? Of course she’s here to help. She’s family. No, family always gets in the way in the end. She was always so focused on the stupid reactor, even when the Shahbanu wants the nullifier. Always so high-minded about her principles. Does she not realize that no matter what she does now, someone will try to weaponize the reactor at some point? So why not do it first? But no, she wanted to play a good guy. Really, there are no good guys. Only those who seize the opportunities in front of us.

No, what am I saying?

The truth you refuse to admit.

Alexandra looked at him weirdly. “Alex, are you okay?”

“I’m…I’m just thinking.”

“About what?”

Just leave the room. You’re under no obligation to tell her. This is your project. You came up with this idea. You don’t need her help.

No! It’s good to ask for help.

That’s a sign of weakness. Only cowards ask for help.

That’s not true! You’re all together right now. Make use of what you have!

No! People are unreliable! You ask Alexandra for help, and she’ll just make up a platitude and go back to the reactor! And look at Thea! You poured your heart out, and she’s most likely hooking up with Magnus! Traitors. The only one you can rely on is yourself. Only you can finish the nullifier and save the world!

Alex clenched his fists. He gritted his teeth. Alexandra’s expression remained concerned. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

No, this is wrong. Why am I thinking like this? I shouldn’t.

No, you should. Embrace the reality of this world. Jerusalem is poised to take over because it knows the truth. While everyone deludes themselves with values and empty promises, Jerusalem doesn’t pull its punches. It doesn’t concern itself with such trivial matters. Its people commit wholeheartedly to a single cause. That is why they won in Russia and Yavdi. That’s why they’re going to win in Scandinavia and Livonia and India. The sooner you realize the truth, the sooner you can begin fighting back.

Wait a minute…that sounds like something Josh would say. Why am I thinking like Josh?

Because Josh understands. That’s how he killed Mom and Dad.

You did not just go there.

I am not a coward. I’m not afraid to discuss sensitive things. That sensitivity and aversion to controversy is what caused your parents to die and your country to collapse. Don’t repeat their mistake.

No, I think
this is a mistake.

It’s the truth!

It’s not. You just want me to take the easy way out. Look out for myself, and leave everyone else to die. You say it’s the truth, but it’s not one Dad would have sought out.

Dad was a fool who deserved to die!

Now I know you’re just being stupid. I would never believe that.

It’s not a question of what you believe! It’s reality! You can’t deny reality!

You’re the one who’s denying reality. Get out of my mind.

I’m only trying to help you, Alex.

No, you’re trying to turn me into Josh! I won’t become him! Not after what he did to my family! I won’t turn on my friends!

It’s your loss.

If I’m going to lose, I might as well go down with my friends around me.

You’re weak.

Oh, shut up!

“Alex?” Alexandra waved her hand in front of Alex’s face. “Hello?”

Alex blinked.

“Oh, sorry. I was just thinking to myself.”

“About what?”

“It’s nothing, really. Anyways, my idea…it’s not really a feature idea, but…”

Alexandra smiled. “Go ahead, I’m listening.”

“Well…” Alex stammered. “It’s actually something more like…a name.”

“A name?” Alexandra raised an eyebrow.

“Yep, definitely stupid. We shouldn’t think about that stuff right now—”

“Oh, no, I’m all for an actual name,” Alexandra said, “Maybe it’s time we stop calling it the nullifier. And besides, ‘nullifier’ reminds me of the Nullification Acts. So what’s the name?”

“I was reading up on some Greek mythology in the palace library, and I came across the story of the mythological Argus, particularly how he died,” Alex said, “Which got me thinking. What if we named our own Panopticon killer after that? Since taking down the Panopticons indirectly takes down the Argus corporation.”

“Sounds good. What will it be?”

Alex smiled. “Argeiphontes. Argus-Slayer.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
Alex hearing his doubts and insecurities as Josh makes sense, but it's not exactly a good sign for his mental health.

Alex hearing his doubts and insecurities as Josh makes sense, but it's not exactly a good sign for his mental health.
Pretty sure almost every other single protagonist (and antagonist) needs therapy at this point too.

Reactions:
Magnus nervously stood at the head of the table. He tried not to think about what the generals and Gunduz were thinking. Nevertheless, his hands shook wildly, and he could barely keep his legs still.
Poor Magnus. It is probably hard to think sometimes when the stakes are this high.

“Oh, and a piece of advice, Kvensen. I might take you more seriously if your voice wasn’t quivering.”
Is "Kvensen" a Persian slang word for Roman or just used for a foreigner in general?

Alex, you should know better. Where was Alexandra when you needed her most in high school? When all that happened between you and Josh? Wait, what am I thinking? Of course she’s here to help. She’s family. No, family always gets in the way in the end. She was always so focused on the stupid reactor, even when the Shahbanu wants the nullifier. Always so high-minded about her principles. Does she not realize that no matter what she does now, someone will try to weaponize the reactor at some point? So why not do it first? But no, she wanted to play a good guy. Really, there are no good guys. Only those who seize the opportunities in front of us.

No, what am I saying?

The truth you refuse to admit.

Alexandra looked at him weirdly. “Alex, are you okay?”

“I’m…I’m just thinking.”

“About what?”

Just leave the room. You’re under no obligation to tell her. This is your project. You came up with this idea. You don’t need her help.

No! It’s good to ask for help.

That’s a sign of weakness. Only cowards ask for help.

That’s not true! You’re all together right now. Make use of what you have!

No! People are unreliable! You ask Alexandra for help, and she’ll just make up a platitude and go back to the reactor! And look at Thea! You poured your heart out, and she’s most likely hooking up with Magnus! Traitors. The only one you can rely on is yourself. Only you can finish the nullifier and save the world!

Alex clenched his fists. He gritted his teeth. Alexandra’s expression remained concerned. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

No, this is wrong. Why am I thinking like this? I shouldn’t.

No, you should. Embrace the reality of this world. Jerusalem is poised to take over because it knows the truth. While everyone deludes themselves with values and empty promises, Jerusalem doesn’t pull its punches. It doesn’t concern itself with such trivial matters. Its people commit wholeheartedly to a single cause. That is why they won in Russia and Yavdi. That’s why they’re going to win in Scandinavia and Livonia and India. The sooner you realize the truth, the sooner you can begin fighting back.

Wait a minute…that sounds like something Josh would say. Why am I thinking like Josh?

Because Josh understands. That’s how he killed Mom and Dad.

You did not just go there.

I am not a coward. I’m not afraid to discuss sensitive things. That sensitivity and aversion to controversy is what caused your parents to die and your country to collapse. Don’t repeat their mistake.

No, I think
this is a mistake.

It’s the truth!

It’s not. You just want me to take the easy way out. Look out for myself, and leave everyone else to die. You say it’s the truth, but it’s not one Dad would have sought out.

Dad was a fool who deserved to die!

Now I know you’re just being stupid. I would never believe that.

It’s not a question of what you believe! It’s reality! You can’t deny reality!

You’re the one who’s denying reality. Get out of my mind.

I’m only trying to help you, Alex.

No, you’re trying to turn me into Josh! I won’t become him! Not after what he did to my family! I won’t turn on my friends!

It’s your loss.

If I’m going to lose, I might as well go down with my friends around me.

You’re weak.

Oh, shut up!
I agree with @TheAnguishedOne in that it would make sense that the voice of Alexis doubts and insecurities to sound like Josh. I also agree with you in that all of our characters needs therapy.

I do wonder how the meeting between Wilhelmina and Gunduz will be like when her group makes it to Persia? My guess is Wilhelmina walks in Gunduz's room when her back is turned and says something that makes Gunduz say "There is only one person that I know who can say something like that to me and get away with it." Because weren't Wilhelmina and Gunduz friends before the Committee and I remember it being said that Gunduz was a bit of a nerd like Olga was about pop-culture. I can see the relationship between Wilhelmina and Gunduz be similar to the one between Bobbie Draper and Avasarala from the Expanse.

Also I know that some old organizations are still around in TTL's main story and in Tianxia such as the Varangian Guard, Embroidered Uniform Guard (Jinyiwei) and the Jomsvikings so I was wondering if the Persian Immortals are still around and function as an Imperial Guard as well as a combat unit like it did historically?

I was also wonder if the "Intelligence and Security Organization of the Country" or SAVAK was ever created since it was a secret police to the rulers of the Pahlavi dynasty?

Lastly in Cyberpunk lore the megacorp Militech International Armaments or Militech despite doing its own private military contracting is closely allied with Lazarus a corporation solely dedicated to private military contracting. This sound like a similar relationship to Tesla Dynamic and Argus Security so I was wondering if for when I finish the Tianxia updates and start working on the Cyberpunk ones do I just replace some of the lore for Tesla and Argus (anything between the 1990's and 2077) with that of Militech and Lazarus? Another possible thing I could do would be to create a third Roman Civil war or 5th Cooperate War with Tesla and Argus on one side and Militech and Lazarus on the other?

Poor Magnus. It is probably hard to think sometimes when the stakes are this high.
And when he's talking to Gunduz herself.
Is "Kvensen" a Persian slang word for Roman or just used for a foreigner in general?
That's Magnus' surname. I had originally planned to mention it when they announced the discovery of betharium, but I believe I cut it when I almost completely rewrote that update to what I ultimately posted.
I agree with @TheAnguishedOne in that it would make sense that the voice of Alexis doubts and insecurities to sound like Josh. I also agree with you in that all of our characters needs therapy.
Now the question is, if Josh had his own insecurities, who would they sound like?
I do wonder how the meeting between Wilhelmina and Gunduz will be like when her group makes it to Persia? My guess is Wilhelmina walks in Gunduz's room when her back is turned and says something that makes Gunduz say "There is only one person that I know who can say something like that to me and get away with it." Because weren't Wilhelmina and Gunduz friends before the Committee and I remember it being said that Gunduz was a bit of a nerd like Olga was about pop-culture. I can see the relationship between Wilhelmina and Gunduz be similar to the one between Bobbie Draper and Avasarala from the Expanse.
You'll have to wait and see.;)
Also I know that some old organizations are still around in TTL's main story and in Tianxia such as the Varangian Guard, Embroidered Uniform Guard (Jinyiwei) and the Jomsvikings so I was wondering if the Persian Immortals are still around and function as an Imperial Guard as well as a combat unit like it did historically?
Probably, but I haven't found a reason to include them in the story yet.
I was also wonder if the "Intelligence and Security Organization of the Country" or SAVAK was ever created since it was a secret police to the rulers of the Pahlavi dynasty?
Not sure, since our Persia is not authoritarian like the real Pahlavi dynasty (although it started out that way). But I do mention the Persian Army being known as the Artesh (taken from the name of the Islamic Republic's army and presumably the Pahlavi dynasty's as well) in upcoming updates.
Lastly in Cyberpunk lore the megacorp Militech International Armaments or Militech despite doing its own private military contracting is closely allied with Lazarus a corporation solely dedicated to private military contracting. This sound like a similar relationship to Tesla Dynamic and Argus Security so I was wondering if for when I finish the Tianxia updates and start working on the Cyberpunk ones do I just replace some of the lore for Tesla and Argus (anything between the 1990's and 2077) with that of Militech and Lazarus? Another possible thing I could do would be to create a third Roman Civil war or 5th Cooperate War with Tesla and Argus on one side and Militech and Lazarus on the other?
You could mention Tesla Dynamic/Argus in Cyberpunk since that game would come out before the committee turned them into what they are in the late 2030s but after Argus established itself in the public eye.

More insights to Alex's thoughts, and boy it's quite a doozy. I quite agree with the rest, the poor man needs some therapy, all of em do. Quite an interesting name for the anti-Panopticon nullifier.

Well I didn't see Alex's inner thoughts coming so it was a surprise for me to be tempted by Josh's worldview.
Now the question is, if Josh had his own insecurities, who would they sound like?
If we're imagining a side of Josh trying to subconsciously tell him to stop doing his evil acts but he ignores, then probably Oskar.
More insights to Alex's thoughts, and boy it's quite a doozy. I quite agree with the rest, the poor man needs some therapy, all of em do. Quite an interesting name for the anti-Panopticon nullifier.
From what I can tell, that name comes from a nickname of Hermes after he killed a giant guarding nymph imprisoned by Hera for an affair with Zeus (so pretty much the usually Zeus related shenanigans), so yeah its a very fitting name in this case.
Pretty sure almost every other single protagonist (and antagonist) needs therapy at this point too.
I'm not even sure if there are even that many therapists or mental health professionals now, as Jerusalem and other dictatorships like Han's China seem like they would rather kill or torture anyone they see with a perceived mental illness. So, yeah I think this generation is psychologically the new Lost Generation.:eek:

If we're imagining a side of Josh trying to subconsciously tell him to stop doing his evil acts but he ignores, then probably Oskar.
For me I thought it could be Alex but that seems possible too. Both are really fitting for Joshes inner-conscious.

I'm not even sure if there are even that many therapists or mental health professionals now, as Jerusalem and other dictatorships like Han's China seem like they would rather kill or torture anyone they see with a perceived mental illness.
Well before all of this you have Han tell India's ruler "who if I remember correctly has a daughter that is LGBT" that "scientist in his country have started treating things like that as a mental illness" so therapist might still be around however I fear that those that have survived are as bad as those that claim to be "Gay Conversion Therapist".

So, yeah I think this generation is psychologically the new Lost Generation.:eek:
That makes things even bad when you realize that even by 2015 both OTL and TTL's worlds population has about tripled since then. I can only imagine what the worlds population was like in TTL's early 2030's. :eek:

Alex is dealing with a lot right now.
Well I didn't see Alex's inner thoughts coming so it was a surprise for me to be tempted by Josh's worldview.
I was also tempted while writing them. In an even more cynical world, Alex might have given in.
Maybe both at the same time then.
For me I thought it could be Alex but that seems possible too. Both are really fitting for Joshes inner-conscious.
Or maybe his mom since she was the only one who could've kept him on the right path after Oskar, though I haven't shown her much so far.
From what I can tell, that name comes from a nickname of Hermes after he killed a giant guarding nymph imprisoned by Hera for an affair with Zeus (so pretty much the usually Zeus related shenanigans), so yeah its a very fitting name in this case.
Yes, and the giant was named Argus. He is the namesake of Argus Security since he's an all-seeing security guard.
I'm not even sure if there are even that many therapists or mental health professionals now, as Jerusalem and other dictatorships like Han's China seem like they would rather kill or torture anyone they see with a perceived mental illness. So, yeah I think this generation is psychologically the new Lost Generation.:eek:
Jerusalem has been treating liberalism or leftist ideologies as terminal mental illnesses. "Therapists" now might mean death squads sent to "cure" people of "ideological illness." If Jerusalem falls, people might become skeptical or even scared of therapists and psychologists due to what Jerusalem used the name for.
Well before all of this you have Han tell India's ruler "who if I remember correctly has a daughter that is LGBT" that "scientist in his country have started treating things like that as a mental illness" so therapist might still be around however I fear that those that have survived are as bad as those that claim to be "Gay Conversion Therapist".
To clarify, it's Jayasimha's granddaughter who is transgender. She'll also need a lot of therapy with what Jerusalem's doing to India right now...and in upcoming updates.
That makes things even bad when you realize that even by 2015 both OTL and TTL's worlds population has about tripled since then. I can only imagine what the worlds population was like in TTL's early 2030's. :eek:
Remember how Jerusalem's population is only 150 million and falling now?

Whispers

Tsarberg - December 23

“Okay, okay, we’re done today!” Theodor frantically waved his hands.

Two technicians slowly approached Elias. For the last 20 days, Theodor had overseen Elias’ training in the exosuit. From a distance, the exosuit looked like a bunch of bracers and metal splints, like the kind one would wear if they broke a limb, only with extra wires and gadgets all over. The headpiece had an integrated combat helmet with a heads-up display that included night vision goggles. It supported a connection to the user’s Panopticon, if Elias wanted to get an implant.

I’ve been trying to convince him to get an admin model, like I did. He’ll get improved hand-eye coordination, and he can operate the thing with his mind, instead of relying on silly old nerve signals running between the brain and limbs. That would take time he won’t have on the battlefield. Especially at his age. What is he, 56 or 57? I never tried to figure it out. He doesn’t remember my birthday anyways, so why should I?

A small turret was mounted below the neck, designed to pop up over the user’s shoulder and be able to aim in almost all directions; Theodor might have taken some inspiration from Predator for that particular feature. The back contained the bulky power source as well as the ammunition and a rudimentary AI-based computer system that would read in the user’s movements and try to learn their tactics, then enhance them.

Would work even better if he had a Panopticon, but he hasn’t come around yet…though I sense he might be close to agreeing.

Each arm had a wrist gauntlet containing a 9-inch retractable blade, although Theodor had designed it so that the blade could be switched out for other weapons, like a grappling hook, gun, taser, rocket launcher, or flamethrower. The waist and legs contained pockets for the user to carry other tools. Finally, the user was covered with some light bulletproof armor. Unfortunately, that meant it was difficult to put the suit on and take it off. He would have to fix that in later models.

“What do you mean we’re done?!” Elias said. “We’re only getting started!”

He stabbed one of the technicians with the blade on his right wrist. The other technician tried to run, but Elias’ shoulder gun locked on with a laser sight and blasted his head to pieces.

Frak, not again…I just “hired” those guys last week!

“Elias, I keep telling you, don’t kill the technicians unless you want to handle getting in and out of that thing.”

Elias shrugged. “Their fault for assuming I was done.”

“You are done. We’ve gathered enough data for the computer today, and you’re learning nicely.”

“It’s never enough, IT’S NEVER ENOUGH! I must kill the ex-princess!” Elias shook a metal-gloved and blade extended fist.

Theodor was not impressed. “Yeah, we know, we know! You’ve said that literally every day for the last 20 days!”

“Then you know how important this is to me.”

“Come on, Elias, you should know better. It’s been only three weeks since the bunker. I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure your body still needs to heal. If you push yourself too hard, you’ll hurt yourself even more. And second, it’s Christmas week. We should be relaxing.”

“I don’t need relaxing, I need the ex-princess’ severed head!” Elias fired his shoulder gun into the air.

Theodor stepped aside just as the bullets came down where he was once standing.

That’s how many holes in the tent ceiling? 62? I’m not looking forward to the paperwork. Might as well put it on Professor Bookworm’s tab again. The economy guy’s responsible for funding our barracks and training facilities, right? So this certainly falls under his domain. No way am I paying for repairs out of my own pocket. I’d like to keep my hard-earned cash out of the hands of equalist big government, thank you very much.

“Elias, calm down.” Theodor cautiously raised his hands. “We’re going to go after her eventually. We just need to figure out if she’s still alive and where she went if she is. In the meantime, you need to train and heal.”

“Are you with me or against me, Theodor?” Elias said. “It’s been almost three weeks since the bunker, and we still don’t know where she is. I know she’s alive. She’s out there somewhere. I can feel it. I only know one thing: I must kill her.”

“Can we dial that back a little? Even Bysandros is having trouble spinning this in your favor.”

I called him up yesterday. His go-to strategy is to straight up stop talking about Elias now. Previously he would always go around saying stuff like “Our brave and holy Regent has donned Crusader armor and is personally leading our brave men on the front lines against the barbarian hordes!” Now there’s barely any mention of Elias anywhere. Even if we keep changing the conversation to one of our other hundred or thousand stories about the barbarian atrocity of the week or Shepherds public works projects, there’s only so much we can get away with not talking about a regent on the front line. Rumors are already spreading that he’s dead. They may be whisperes for now, but soon they’ll spread, because the people love gossip. Whispers become rumors. Rumors become narratives. Narratives become the truth. If the people come up with a truth that deviates from the one we give them, that is dangerous. The problem is, we don’t have any truth to give them. Not even a whisper. Bysandros for once is out of ideas.

Elias scoffed. “Frak him, he doesn’t know the importance of our mission. We must focus on killing the ex-princess at all costs. She is my greatest enemy, the only one who can stop us. She must be destroyed.”

As if you didn’t already say that over a hundred times already.

“Um…yeaaaaahhhh…” Theodor awkwardly said. “By the way…I was thinking…about this training center…”

“What about it?” Elias glared at him, a wild look in his eyes. Theodor instinctively recoiled.

“It isn’t…suitable for your training,” he managed to say, “I believe we can get better results at a dedicated facility I recently built outside Basra. But I’m not sure if you want to leave this forward operating base, given how many duties it has—”

“Let’s go.”

Theodor abruptly stopped. “Come again?”

“You heard me, let’s go to Basra and continue the training there. I’m looking forward to a dedicated facility, not some beaten up tent.”

The “beaten up” thing was your fault, though.

“Okay, and what about this base?” Theodor said.

“They can handle themselves. They conquered Russia and Yavdi on their own. They can survive without me. Because they are devout men, and God will protect them.”

“Yeah…of course He would…totally…”

He pretended to check his phone. “Oh, by the way, I have an important call to take in five minutes, so I have to go now, bye!”

Theodor ran out of the tent as fast as possible, flagging down two nearby Crusaders.

“Get someone to dispose of the bodies in there,” he said, “‘It’ happened again.”

“Goddamnit,” one of them muttered.

“Hey, you’re lucky I’m not going to shoot you for blasphemy,” Theodor said, “Ephesians 4:29: ‘Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear’. But go before I change my mind!”

The Crusaders nervously ran into the tent.

This isn’t going well at all. Elias hasn’t improved one bit, and it’s making everyone scared. Bysandros and I are doing everything we can to keep this under wraps, but we’re being pushed to our limits. Elias’ obsession with killing the princess is upending the very system we worked to build these last 8 years. Unless…I could make use of that for the greater good.

He made his way to Gertrude’s tent. Inside, Elias’ wife was drinking a glass of vodka. From the look of the bottle, it seemed like it had been raided from the Tsar’s personal stash.

Lady, it’s 2 in the afternoon. A little too early to be drinking vodka, isn’t it? Unless it’s a brand I’m selling, in which case knock yourself out. Literally, even.

“What do you want, Theodor?” Gertrude said.

“I know we aren’t really on good terms, especially lately,” Theodor said, “And I know I was one of those who voted to kick you off the committee all those years ago.”

“Yeah, that’s all true. But that’s not answering my question.”

“This might be weird.”

“Out with it, or leave my tent.” Gertrude casually refilled her glass, not even making eye contact with Theodor.

Theodor knelt on both knees and clasped his hands. “Please, Elias is out of control! I need your help salvaging the committee before he destroys us all!”

Gertrude stared at him. “Have you gone mad?”

“No! 100% honest, God’s truth!”

Thou shalt not take the Lord’s name in vain, but screw the rules, I have money!

Gertrude reached for her phone. “Tell me why I shouldn’t just call Elias and have you shot for treason.”

“Because I can get him far away from Jerusalem,” Theodor said, “Send him hunting his elwetritsch where he will stay out of our way for good.”

Gertrude put down her phone. “And why should I trust you?”

“Because he’s killing all of my employees and dragging the rest of the committee down. He’s making a fool of us all with his ridiculous obsession of killing some washed-up ex-princess.”

“Said washed-up ex-princess also developed superpowers which then slammed Elias against a wall so hard it cracked.” Gertrude nonchalantly sipped her vodka. “I think it’s understandable he’s a little paranoid.”

“But can he at least do it without frakking over the rest of us?”

Gertrude shrugged. “Elias brought you into the committee, and now you’re complaining about him? What did you learn about biting the hand that feeds you?”

“He has to go, simple as that!”

“Why should I help you? After what you did to me.”

Theodor practically bowed, pleadingly raising his clasped hands.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry for all that! I didn’t know Elias would go this far! He’s hurting the wrong people!”

Gertrude shook her head. “I’m not convinced. After all, all you’ve been concerned about these last 20 years is profit. You just supported CB and joined the committee because it made you more money. I’m pretty sure that’s what it boils down to now. You’re not concerned about Elia out of the goodness of your heart or a noble desire to save the empire. You’re only concerned because the leopard ate your face, and it’s going to affect your bottom line.”

“Please! You have inside access to Elias! We could pull this off immediately!”

“And what the frak do you think I can do? Hold a committee vote to authorize his elwetrisch hunt? Call up Josiah and Moria and convince them to hold the vote? Just make the suggestion to Elias from the perspective of a fellow committee leader? Order the Crusaders here to help him achieve his goal? I could do that…oh wait, I can’t, and it’s all because of you!”

“…So I’ll take that as a yes?”

“Get out of my tent. And don’t talk to me ever again.”

Berlin

“…so yeah, that’s the deal.” Theodor’s face was obscured by static and lag. but Heinrich understood what he was saying.

Why are we still trying to video conference? Especially when our last satellites are about to go down? Oh right. Tesla Dynamic has an exclusive contract and Theodor makes money every time we use this stupid, glitchy, hard to use app. You know, a simple email could’ve worked, or we could’ve even gone back to a frakking regular phone call.

Josiah and Moria whispered to each other, but they didn’t do a good job of it, because Heinrich could still hear them.

“What do you think we should do?” Josiah said.

“I say we turn him in to Elias,” Heinrich said, “We can build a very easy case of treason.”

Yes, let them destroy each other. With Theodor out of the way, I can focus easier on taking down Elias.

“Yes, but we would lose the cooperation of Tesla Dynamic, which has significantly boosted our economic recovery. Furthermore, I can see where Theodor is coming from.”

Heinrich stared at Josiah. “You don’t seriously believe him, do you?”

“Unlike the party cartel, I prefer to keep an open mind, and I am not afraid to admit where I went wrong. I think this is worth looking into. Have you never stopped to look at Elias’ orders and suggestions lately?”

“You mean the lack of them?” Moria said.

“Exactly. He’s been holed up in Tsarberg the last two months. He’s missed every single committee meeting since he began the war. He hasn’t even called in or sent an email or letter to us. And now he’s obsessed with killing the Hohenzollern. He committed a good number of our special forces to hit the Yavdian bunker even though it’s deep in enemy lines and it came under attack from the Chinese at the same time, all because Han Xianyu pushed his buttons. Most of them are dead now.”

“Yes, but what we’re talking about is treason,” Heinrich said.

“No, it’s called being righteous,” Moria said, “If he is found to have sinned, we must cast him out of the Kingdom of God.”

“And if he hasn’t, then he’ll demand our heads! Did you ever think about that?”

“Look, at least look into the matter before doing anything,” Josiah said, “It’s technically not illegal or heretical.”

“How do you know that?” Heinrich asked.

“I wrote the damn law. Of course I covered this case!”

“I like it,” Moria said, “Let’s do it.”

“I don’t like this,” Heinrich said.

“Shut up. You’ve been outvoted.”

Josiah turned back to Theodor. “Theodor, we’re going to get to the bottom of this. These serious allegations against Elias are…troubling, to say the least.”

“So you’ll support me?” Theodor said.

“I’ll see about authorizing a special mission for him. Moria here will conduct an investigation into Elias while he’s away.”

“I did not agree to that!” Moria said.

“Well, too bad. So I guess that’s settled, then?”

“Let’s put it to a vote,” Josiah said, “All in favor?”

All three of them—Theodor, Josiah, and Moria—raised their hands.

“Three to none. Motion passed unanimously.”

They’re not even trying to count me anymore…yet they’ve done way more in one day than Gertrude’s done in months. Why’d I even agree to Gertrude’s so-called “plot” to begin with? At this rate, all I’d need to do is sit quietly, collect my paycheck, and wait for the committee to destroy itself. Then I take out anybody who remains, without Gertrude’s help.

“I promise, Theodor, we’ll figure out what’s going on with Elias,” Josiah said, “As the Gospel of Luke says, ‘Everything that is concealed will be brought to light and made known to all’.”

Constantinople - December 24

Josh and his squad strolled through the station. The guards and workers on duty stood in a line on the edge of Platform 3, facing the tracks.

“There is a 100% chance the rebels passed through this station on their way east,” Josh said, “The railways through Russia and Taurica are at present unusable, which leaves only Constantinople. I know they didn’t take a boat across the Mediterranean or the Aegean, because I have every port from Italia to Anatolia under Watchtower’s strictest lockdown procedures. The only way they could have proceeded was by train through Constantinople. There is proof of this, in the former of a Scandinavian bullet we found lodged in one of the walls four days ago. As well as the blatant sabotage of the security cameras on Platforms 1 to 5.”

He suddenly stopped and shot a guard in the head.

“So I don’t know how it is that none of you spotted the rebels coming through, let alone stopped them. I am disappointed. You are assigned to defend the Kaiserin of Cities, yet your behavior is befitting of terrorists and heretics.”

“Sir, we really didn’t know—” The worker was silenced with a bullet to the head.

“DID I ASK YOU TO SPEAK?!” Josh said.

Leo walked up. “Sir, if I may, I managed to restore partial footage to one of the cameras monitoring Platform 4.”

Josh raised an eyebrow. “Finally, a development after a week wasted. What did it show?”

“Better if you see it for yourself.” Leo handed his tablet to Josh.

Josh played the video. The footage was very glitchy and filled with static, and there was no audio at all, but occasionally a few frames got through in a somewhat watchable condition. He saw a group of people running up Platform 4 and getting on a cargo train. One carried a Scandinavian-style sniper rifle.

“No doubt it’s them,” Leo said, “I’m going to pull up the itineraries and manifests for all eastbound trains leaving Constantinople on December 16. We’ll have their path and current location in no time.”

Josh smiled. “We’ve got them now.”

• 2Like
Reactions: