The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I’m pretty sure any “counterattack” being planned right now is little more than a warlord amassing an army. Happened all the time in Yavdi’s history. Why, Tsar-Khagan Yavdi the Unifier was most certainly a warlord. I can’t blindly swear loyalty to anybody who rolls up to this place with a bunch of guns and some markkas. They just want to sit on the throne and hope there’s something to rule over when the dust settles.
Well it seems like Samir’s premonition came true in this update. At first I was thinking that it was Elias and the Committee since that message Samir sent could have been picked up by anyone.

* I’m not going to use the word “jeep” (that’s what I’m picturing with the cars here are) because its etymology is English-based and unclear enough that I don’t know what to replace it with in-universe.
Well the German version in WWII for the American Jeep was the Volkswagen Kübelwagen. Some "modern" versions could be the ATF Dingo, Mowag Eagle, LAPV Enok or LIV (SO) Serval as they are all used by the German Army today in OTL and are Germany's answer to something like the American Hummer and Russian GAZ Tigr (you can find them by just searching for them on Wikipedia)? However all of those are models from the early 2000's so they might not work.

By the way, lately I’ve been floating around another AAR idea: an EU4 Third Odyssey run. I’ve known of the mod for many years now but never actually got around to playing it. I have some ideas of where to go with it, but nothing concrete yet. If I do commit to it, it’ll likely be after ROTCE2. Or maybe I’ll do it before ROTCE2 so Kaiserreich gets more reworks implemented before I get around to it.
That sounds interesting. Are you going to go immediately to Europe or are you going to go full Britannia (from Code Geass) in were you take over the Americas and then go to Europe? I was also wondering if you were going to create all of the Exarchate's?

Well it seems like Samir’s premonition came true in this update. At first I was thinking that it was Elias and the Committee since that message Samir sent could have been picked up by anyone.
Elias would’ve jumped straight to air strikes and missiles, no need for boots on the ground.
Well the German version in WWII for the American Jeep was the Volkswagen Kübelwagen. Some "modern" versions could be the ATF Dingo, Mowag Eagle, LAPV Enok or LIV (SO) Serval as they are all used by the German Army today in OTL and are Germany's answer to something like the American Hummer and Russian GAZ Tigr (you can find them by just searching for them on Wikipedia)? However all of those are models from the early 2000's so they might not work.
I might check those out if I need to involve jeeps again.
That sounds interesting. Are you going to go immediately to Europe or are you going to go full Britannia (from Code Geass) in were you take over the Americas and then go to Europe? I was also wondering if you were going to create all of the Exarchate's?
I feel like going a realistic route but also with as much content as possible, so probably not all of the Exarchates. Rushing to Europe won’t work as well. My current idea is going through the Americas and then back to Greece, then not blobbing all over the place even if I can.

I will, however, want to deal with the Pope and HRE.

Reactions:
Wilhelmina Embarks

December 15

It was finally time to set off for Persia. Izinchi’s wound had healed enough that she didn’t have to worry about any complications while on the move. After yesterday, Wilhelmina had gotten quite used to wielding Enonon and riding on Heidi. After the celebration party, they had spent the rest of yesterday packing. Gebhard and Samir scavenged Otso’s destroyed cars and helicopter for spare parts and supplies. With the help of the more technologically inclined villagers, they repaired a few things that would help them on their journey: some walkie-talkies; a couple Yavdian assault rifles; a few sets of extra winter gear; some boxes of ammunition; three grenade belts; a few lighters; two compasses; and a first-aid kit. Digging around in the cockpit, Gebhard found a paper map of Yavdi and western Turkestan, with geographic features marked. It would definitely come in handy, as even if GPS and Tianyan were still online, they would likely not get a signal here. Samir found a copy of the Kalevala, the Suomenusko holy book. While they weren’t here to preach, it would probably help keep Friedrich and Ilyana not bored. Now it was the morning of December 15. Everyone was making final preparations. For Wilhelmina, final preparations included breakfast.

In the dining hall, Wilhelmina continued eating her porridge and making sure Friedrich and Ilyana did as well (more like trying to stop Ilyana from basically forcing the porridge down Friedrich’s throat). It was a little harder than she expected, because every few minutes, a villager came over to thank her for what she did yesterday. A few even asked for her autograph. After the first few villagers, it got annoying very fast. On the other hand, Gebhard and Izinchi were revelling in their new popularity.

“Oh, yeah, I was the Reich’s greatest warrior back in the day!” Gebhard bragged, half-drunk on airag at nine in the morning, “Until I was backstabbed by my own brother, Edmund. Can you believe the nerve of that guy, to betray me to my face when the committee took over?”

From what you told me, you haven’t even met Edmund in 50 years or so. Still, mostly accurate.

“Aye, my ancestors waere faired jaeguer waerriors hoo ledd west t’ thoosends ov Roomens ehch,” Izinchi boasted, her accent far more pronounced when under the influence, “Clan Oochemekeh waes faired oon booth saedes o’ t’ pohnd. Joost haering oor baegpehpes would saend oor aenaemaes scaeterehng. If tey waern’t loyal t’ the Ehcaytls, tey wood ehve baycoome huetlatoani themsaelves. Oi, you dinnae ken hwat’s a huetlatoani? Let mae tael y’all aboot the Treeple Ehllayence. Started wi a wee lad bae nahme ov Erik, y’ken Vikings, aye? Nae? Hwat y’meaen, Rurik flitted next door…”

Lay off the airag, Izinchi. Or at least get sober by the time we set off. Funny story, though.

All of the kids, meanwhile, had crowded around Friedrich and Ilyana, handing them so many gifts that Wilhelmina had filled an entire backpack with them. They were saying various things as well, and from the tone of their voices it seemed like the girls wanted Friedrich to marry them, while the boys wanted Ilyana to play shagaa one more time (and go easy on them).

“Enjoying the festivities?” Samir said.

“Sort of.” Wilhelmina sipped a cup of tea.

“You don’t seem to be as into it as the others.”

“Yeah, well I don’t want to be half-drunk when I head out like those two. And if they get more drunk, I guess I’ll be the designated driver. Or at least the horse equivalent. Speaking of which, can’t we just use the cars?”

Samir shook his head. “In your battle yesterday, you kind of totaled them. And even if they were still drivable, the terrain is difficult for cars to drive over. A helicopter would’ve had no trouble with the terrain, but none of us are licensed to fly, and it likely won’t have enough fuel to get us to any airfield not under Crusader control.”

“Yeah, yeah, I get it, horses are the only way we can get somewhere.”

Funny how inconvenient all this is.

“So are you ready to go?” Samir said.

“Yeah, I suppose I am.” Wilhelmina looked at the villagers crowded around them. “But is it right to leave these people? After what they just went through?”

“We can’t stay here forever. We all knew that.”

“But more soldiers will come. More warlords trying to impose their will on this place. If we leave, it would be like abandoning this village to its fate.”

“I’ve left the rest of the 53rd here to reinforce the militia.”

Wilhelmina stared at him. “You’re leaving our entire squad here?”

“Most of them aren’t that much better off than Izinchi right now,” Samir said, “They’d be better suited helping the militia.”

“And what about our group? Are we really going to be protected with only two soldiers?”

“Make that three.” Gulichi walked over.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you,” Samir said, “Gulichi’s joining us on our trip. I’ve temporarily drafted him into the 53rd.”

“You, a private?” Wilhelmina chuckled. “Drafting people?”

“More like I volunteered,” Gulichi said.

“Hey, there’s like only five of us us,” Samir said, “The 53rd chose me to lead in the absence of officers. I think we can bend a few rules. Chain of command is necessary in a military, but it should never be stifling.”

“Well, we could always use more manpower.”

“I’ll do my best,” Gulichi said, “I’ve been meaning to see the world for some time.”

“You’ve never been outside the village?” Wilhelmina said.

“Farthest I’ve ever gone was Yekaterinburg for a Naadam race. I’ve always wanted to see Persia. It would be nice lending my services to the people there.”

“Point is, Wilhelmina, we can’t stay here forever,” Samir said, “This village may need help, but so does the rest of the world. Gebhard’s skills can best be applied to commanding armies once again. Izinchi needs to rebuild the government in exile. I need to…well, I guess I will fight in the Persian army. And you? You’ve helped these villagers. But there are many millions out there just waiting to be helped. You can make a difference, Wilhelmina. Not only as a symbol for Schengen to rally around, but also as a light to the many Takomaans of the world.”

He’s right. I can’t stay here forever. Not while Persia awaits and the Reich suffers. The rest of the world is burning. It’s time I did something about that.

“I can’t be a helpless princess now,” Wilhelmina sang, “Such is a heroine’s destiny.”

Okay, Alyssa, you’re up. Help me out, from one deposed princess trying to reclaim their country to another.

---

After breakfast, they finished packing and loaded their belongings on their horses. Everyone had gathered in the main square to see the group off.

“I’m going to miss this place,” Izinchi said, surprisingly sobering up and becoming comprehensible again very quickly, “The saunas were nice, the air is clear, and people are friendly. Unlike a certain dreich Caledonian city…”

“On the other hand, I’m excited to go,” Gebhard said, “Nothing against the people here, but I want to get a proper bath.”

A village elder walked up to them, a bottle of airag in his hands.

“Ooh, is that like a parting gift or something?” Izinchi said.

The elder sprinkled the contents of the bottle over the ground around them. Izinchi stared at the wet soil.

“It is customary to spray airag like that for ceremonies of prayer and blessing,” Samir said, “It’s for good luck.”

“I was hoping we could…you know, drink it.”

“It wouldn’t be very lucky of us if we did. And you just sobered up.”

Two other elders in the back looked like they were doing conventional prayers. One was reciting a prayer in Finnish, while the other one was speaking in Hebrew. It was the synagogue’s rabbi. The Tengri elder tied a purple silk scarf around Heidi’s neck and said a few words.

“What’s with the scarf?” Wilhelmina said.

“The scarf around Heidi’s neck is for…how do I say this, good luck I guess?” Samir said. “Usually it’s just for a family’s prized sacred horse, but…I guess Heidi’s an exception. ”

“Heidi’s always been an exception.”

Heidi neighed, as if in agreement.

“Oh, and the elder’s wishing us all good luck on our journey and future endeavors. That we might triumph over our enemies—the direct translation is that we would literally trample them under our horses’ hooves—and bring an end to the war.”

I wouldn’t be opposed to trampling Elias and the committee under Heidi’s hooves, though.

“That we’ll try to do,” Wilhelmina said.

“And to not cut off your stallions’ manes as that would cause bad luck.”

“Yeah, I got that.”

Heidi’s a mare, so could I technically cut her mane and not get the bad luck?

She stood up and looked at the villagers. “I swear to you, as Kaiserin, I will restore balance to the world.”

Unfortunately, they probably don’t understand me. But what else would they understand? Something universal. That can be conveyed through language barriers. Like music…

“‘For now is the time to fight / even if the entire world’s gone mad, and / I won’t rest until I’m done / I’ll keep fighting on and on / For the sake of all my friends and my home / and for those I love dearly / For the sake of all the world and my love / I think of you the most of all’.”

Damn, that sounds horrible. I suppose I should’ve gone to karaoke more with Franz back in the day? I barely remember these lyrics to A Heroine’s Destiny, but I hope it works. They’re surprisingly relevant.

“Well, we best be setting off,” Samir said, “We should spend as much daytime on the move and rest at night.”

“Generally we only make long journeys during seasons when our horses are well-fed,” Gulichi said, “This winter is not one of those seasons, but it’ll have to do.”

After wrapping things up—not to mention Izinchi and Gebhard getting more sober—they finished packing and got on their horses. The villagers waved and cheered with words of encouragement. Wilhelmina helped Friedrich and Ilyana up onto Heidi’s back first before also climbing up. Once again, she looked at all of the villagers who had turned out onto the road.

“Uh…I’m not much of speaker, as you probably noticed by now, but…thank you, everyone. Thank you for taking me in two weeks ago. I’ll find a way to end this war. Bring peace back to the world. That’s how I’ll repay you all. I won’t forget everything you’ve done for us!”

Heidi set off in a trot, with the others of her group followed behind. Soon, they had passed the last gers and left the village. The villagers hung by the entrance, still cheering them on. But soon, their voices faded away into the distance. Just like that, Takomaan disappeared back into the mountains.

“Goodbye, Takomaan,” Wilhelmina said, “Thank you for everything you’ve done for us.”

“Stay safe,” Gulichi said.

“Bye the nou,” Izinchi said.

Gebhard turned to Wilhelmina. “We’ll be rushing back into the war. Are you ready?”

Wilhelmina nodded. “I have to be, so I am.”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Samir said.

“Yay!” Friedrich said. “Adventure!”

“Onwards!” Ilyana said.

With the rising sun to their right, the Urals to their left, their road winding through the forest in front of them, and a song carried across the light winter breeze, it was time for Wilhelmina’s journey to truly begin.

“‘Fire Emblem guide my way through / light and shadow I won’t fall, for / this is the path I must walk to the end, and / I can’t be a helpless princess anymore’…”

• 3Like
Reactions:
A good farewell to this mostly peaceful rest stop.

And they're off again, leaving a place that provided peace and rest for a while. Wilhelmina is gonna need all the luck she can get to bring an end to this madness.

And they're off again, leaving a place that provided peace and rest for a while. Wilhelmina is gonna need all the luck she can get to bring an end to this madness.
She’s one middle-aged woman going up against a globe-spanning nuclear armed totalitarian dictatorship which could end the world 10 times over. And she’s armed with a sword.

better hope she gets good luck level ups

I might check those out if I need to involve jeeps again.
Yea if you want to find out about things like that all you have to do is go to Wikipedia and type in that countries military, go to the army and then click on "List of modern equipment of the ____ Army". The same works for that countries Navy and Airforce.

All of the kids, meanwhile, had crowded around Friedrich and Ilyana, handing them so many gifts that Wilhelmina had filled an entire backpack with them. They were saying various things as well, and from the tone of their voices it seemed like the girls wanted Friedrich to marry them,
I bet Ilyana was really happy about Friedrich getting those marriage proposals. ;)

“Point is, Wilhelmina, we can’t stay here forever,” Samir said, “This village may need help, but so does the rest of the world. Gebhard’s skills can best be applied to commanding armies once again. Izinchi needs to rebuild the government in exile. I need to…well, I guess I will fight in the Persian army. And you? You’ve helped these villagers. But there are many millions out there just waiting to be helped. You can make a difference, Wilhelmina. Not only as a symbol for Schengen to rally around, but also as a light to the many Takomaans of the world.”
I am glad that Samir is going with Wilhelmina and her group instead of staying in Yavdi. I was not ready to say goodbye to him yet.

Yea if you want to find out about things like that all you have to do is go to Wikipedia and type in that countries military, go to the army and then click on "List of modern equipment of the ____ Army". The same works for that countries Navy and Airforce.
Fair enough. But I don't feel like getting that deep into technical details at the moment. I'm already having enough trouble describing how the betharium reactor works without resorting to technobabble.
I bet Ilyana was really happy about Friedrich getting those marriage proposals. ;)
Sure...totally...
I am glad that Samir is going with Wilhelmina and her group instead of staying in Yavdi. I was not ready to say goodbye to him yet.
I've got a lot planned for him in the future, so he's not leaving our story just yet.

Sure...totally...
Just watch Ilyana go full yandere on poor little Fredrich after that.:p

Nice to see were seeing Wihelmima‘s group travel to Persia and not stay in Yavadi forever, as nice as this relatively peaceful part of the story is, especially when it came to fleshing out and developing Wilhelmina‘s group and Yavadian culture. Now is the time for things to spice up, as I get the feeling a lot of things will go down in Persia judging by how many plot lines and major characters seem to be converging there. Can’t wait to see what you got in stores for that part of this arc.

I just realized, this war is a lot like the War in Heaven in Stellaris if it took place entirely on Earth if you compare Jerusalem and China to rival Awakened Ascendancies and Schengen/the remaining meritocracies/democracies in the world to the League of Non-Aligned Powers and then mixed it with 1984, the Handmaids Tale and Warhammer. Makes me wonder how humanity will react to the actual War in Heaven when we get to Stellaris and also convinces me that Stellaris aliens will think humanity itself is a crisis.

Last edited:
Just watch Ilyana go full yandere on poor little Fredrich after that.:p
Just Ilyana
Nice to see were seeing Wihelmima‘s group travel to Persia and not stay in Yavadi forever, as nice as this relatively peaceful part of the story is, especially when it came to fleshing out and developing Wilhelmina‘s group and Yavadian culture. Now is the time for things to spice up, as I get the feeling a lot of things will go down in Persia judging by how many plot lines and major characters seem to be converging there. Can’t wait to see what you got in stores for that part of this arc.
Persia is one of the most intact and stable nations in the world since it escaped being nuked. But that also makes it a huge target now...
I just realized, this war is a lot like the War in Heaven in Stellaris if it took place entirely on Earth if you compare Jerusalem and China to rival Awakened Ascendancies and Schengen/the remaining meritocracies/democracies in the world to the League of Non-Aligned Powers and then mixed it with 1984, the Handmaids Tale and Warhammer. Makes me wonder how humanity will react to the actual War in Heaven when we get to Stellaris and also convinces me that Stellaris aliens will think humanity itself is a crisis.
To these Yavdian villagers and others living in remote areas of battlefield countries, the titanic war between the two globe-spanning dictatorial superpowers pretty much is a War in Heaven they can barely comprehend.

Who Cares

Constantinople - December 16

The train suddenly slowed down.

“Now arriving in: Constantinople,” the train intercom announced, accompanied by another rendition of “Onwards, Christian Crusaders!”

Tania quickly stirred awake, thanks in no part to that stupid song.

Not that godsdamned jingle again. I was just about to forget it! Anyways, Constantinople…almost nine years late, but better late than never, as they say. But after what we saw of Vienna, I’m positively dreading what they’ve done here.

“Okay, remember the plan. “We wait until the area’s clear, then we sneak out and—”

“Yeah, we’re going to switch to the Baghdad train,” Angelica said, “Just like transferring trains normally. Only with an addition of instant death if we’re caught.”

“I’ve already figured out what train to take,” Ruby said, “From the itinerary in Vienna, the Baghdad train should be on Platform 4.”

“We get it. Just lead the way. Chief?”

Billy nodded. “I’ll watch for any Crusaders.”

As soon as the train stopped, Tania took out her rifle and slowly rolled open the cargo bay door to scout around for any threats.

We’re somewhere in the Westend, from the street names on the signs. Probably an old civilian station, but from all of the cargo boxes and fences set up, I’d say they’re using it as a cargo station now. Shipping weapons and ammo further east to Mesopotamia. No guards or anything so far, but I can’t be too sure. Oh, there’s a camera watching the platform. Fortunately, it’s not pointed at us, but it’s blocking the way, and I see other cameras throughout the area. I’ll have to disable it. One bullet should be enough, but as soon as they go out, we’ve got to move fast.

Tania attached a silencer to her rifle and fired at the nearest camera. The bullet tore through the camera, and sparks flew from the other ones. Their lights turned off. Somewhere in the distance, alarms began blaring.

“Let’s move!”

From all those camps we raided back in France, I predict reinforcements will arrive on average in precisely 38 seconds.

They got out and ran across the platform. Ruby and Billy scouted ahead, pistols ready. Tania watched from the back, peering through her scope to see if anyone came from behind.

12 seconds and counting. Making good time, but we also have to worry about getting in the car and closing the door on time..

Julian peered around a corner. “I see the train on Platform 4. There’s as cargo car near the back. Empty and unguarded.”

Oui, that’s our ride,” Angelica said.

They crossed over to Platform 4 and approached their car. A window sat near the door. While Billy pulled open the door, August happened to glance outside and gasped, stopping in shock.

“August, we don’t have time for sightseeing,” Angelica said.

20 seconds and counting…

August blinked and shook his head. “No…it can’t be…”

“Can’t be what?” Angelica looked out the window. “Oh…sacré dieu.”

Knowing what had happened with Vienna, everyone simply looked out the window.

24 seconds and counting. I’ll just glance out the window quickly and…

Tania saw what August was looking at. “Gods, what have they done to Tsargrad?”

The window had a great view of the Bosphorus, the Golden Horn, the Ostend, and the harbor, but was all hardly recognizable now. The Ostend was completely devoid of the skyscrapers that had defined it for decades, with the exception of One World Trade Center, which now bore a large eye symbol set against a red letter T.

The symbol of Argus. How appropriately totalitarian. 28 seconds…

But that wasn’t what August was looking at. He was looking at the harbor, specifically what was once Restoration Island. “The statue…”

The Statue of Saint Wilhelmina was gone. The old statue of Romanitas had been torn down. But that wasn’t the worst part. The worst thing was what had replaced it. Yet another giant gaudy cross. A Jerusalem cross too, for good measure, which took up way more space than the old statue, as if demanding attention. Dozens of Jerusalem flags hung from the arms and tips, and solar panels covered its horizontal surfaces. Bible verses and more flags covered the vertical surfaces. Even Restoration Island itself had been paved, sunk, and filled in to resemble a second Jerusalem cross, with more solar panels set up on its arms. The only people Tania could see on the island were Shepherds of the Future surrounding the cross, hands linked to form a circle. Their heads were bowed in constant prayer. It was a complete travesty. It just felt wrong on every level.

33 seconds.

“Okay, enough dawdling, everyone inside!”

They got in the car, and Billy closed the door just as they heard footsteps and shouting outside.

38 seconds. Right on time.

They remained absolutely quiet for several tense seconds, listening to the footsteps get closer and closer. Finally, Tania saw the shadows of feet through the gap at the bottom of the door, and she readied her rifle. But the man outside quickly left.

“Alright, false alarm! Probably a system malfunction. Let’s get this train out of here.”

Another few minutes later, the train lurched and rolled out of the station. Tania sighed and began dismantling her rifle back into more portable parts. “We’ve got to stop cutting it so close.”

She looked at the rest of the group. The various rebels from Alençon were talking among themselves. Angelica had made herself comfortable on a crate of guns. Billy was thinking to himself, while Ruby shook her head.

“Why…why do they keep doing this stuff?” August said.

“Because they can,” Billy said.

“Because nobody cares enough to stop them,” Ruby said.

“We care,” Angelica said.

“We do, but we’re only a few people among 150 million Jerusalemites.”

“Not all of those 150 million are on the committee’s side,” Julian said.

“But are they on our side?”

I’m not sure. The vast majority of people won’t be rebels or something. Like, take the example of the Angeloi. Most people just carried on with their lives as usual, not caring if the guy running Berlin was Otto or Angelos. Meanwhile, those who did speak out were silenced.

“My aunt had a saying once,” Tania said, “She used to say a third of the population would watch as another third killed the last third.”

She was speaking from experience. It was like that in Soviet times, then again after the Soviets fell. People didn’t care who was in charge, as long as their bottom line was intact.

“That still means there are 50 million true believers,” Ruby said, “Which isn’t good.”

“But at least it’s not 150 million,” August said, “That means 100 million could be swayed to our side.”

“Unfortunately, half that number falls into the ‘I don’t care’ category,” Billy said, “They don’t care even when their own neighbors are being slaughtered.”

“Then we’ll give them a reason to care,” Tania said.

“And we’ll rally the other half to battle.” Angelica held up the portable freezer. “Fear of this getting released should be ample reason to fight.”

Ruby sighed. “Nothing like the imminent release of a plague that could wipe out hundreds of millions to rally people to pull their heads out of the sand.”

“It’s people like that who got us into this mess to begin with, who slaughtered Alençon.” Billy’s voice intensified.

“Let’s not point fingers,” Julian said, “We don’t want to antagonize our future allies. That would only help the committee.”

“That’s gotten me wondering,” Angelica said, “The don’t-cares…they’ll still be there after we defeat the committee, right? Even if we win, there will always be people who don’t care.”

“How can we stop them from inadvertently leading to another committee?” Billy said. “It was their inaction that allowed CB to rise and seize power.”

“That’s something we’ll have to constantly work on,” Julian said, “We’ll have to keep making sure enough people care. If we want to avoid something like this from happening again.”

Off the eastern coast of Este Mvskokvlke - December 17

Atoc Sopa Atoc sat in his office aboard the Ocuil Acatl. The flagship that had led the Eimerican convoy to Heligoland was a state-of-the-art vessel built with parts and crewed with sailors from all over the Eimericas, armed with the latest technology the New World had to offer. Although it was registered as a Mexican ship, the UPM had been the biggest contributor to its construction, as Mitteleimericans had designed and supplied more parts than any other nation. The UPM had emerged from the 2024 and 2035 recessions more intact to most, thanks to its heavy investments in local industries and trade revenue from the Panama Canal. As soon as Jerusalem showed signs of hostility, Bogota began shifting to war footing. Atoc was planning to retire in 2029, after a long and decorated career, but Bloody Tuesday changed everything.

I had plans for everything, too. My kids and I had a schedule planned for when they’d come back with their families. I was already working on how to share my war stories with them. Committee screwed all that up.

And now he was here. A window to his right offered a view of the Muscogean coast. Ten years ago, the coast would have been filled with tourists, including many Romans. The Muscogean Peninsula was well known for its beautiful beaches, attracting tourists from all over the world. It was said even Pierremaskin came here for a vacation once.

After he returned home, he probably wrote a lengthy essay called “On the Eimericans’ Right to Enjoy Their Own Beaches” or something like that. Maybe he did. I’m not too familiar with Meskwaki history, aside from the 20th century. All I remember is Mobile.

But now the beaches had been shattered. Explosions randomly blew up parts of the beaches, throwing up plumes of sand and obliterating any soldiers—both Crusaders and Eimericans—who were unfortunate enough to have been in the area. Blood ran down the beaches to the oceans. Bodies—some of them little more than pieces of tattered flesh now—dotted the sand; they were already being picked apart by seagulls and other birds. Atoc picked up his bottle of fine chicha and poured a glass.

Ah, yes, that hit the spot. But it doesn’t kick as much as before. Not for many decades. Not since Mobile. I remember pouring a glass that night on January 31st, 1986, after my marines took city hall and the naval base. We had just gone through several hours of straight fighting through the most inhospitable terrain I can imagine. Swamps, rocky coasts, urban centers, destroyed urban centers…reminds me a little of my dad’s stories when he was fighting Kantunil Kin’s boys. That glass was sublime. I felt everything in that glass. A taste of victory and pride, but mostly relief. It was delicious. Everything about it was just right. I haven’t tasted it since then.

He looked back at the tactical map on his desk, showing the progress of his troops so far.

The Crusaders airlifted themselves into Este Mvskokvlke last month and set up several forts around Cuscowilla, then seized the capital and used that as their main base of operations. Our goal’s to take back Cuscowilla, but it’s easier said than done. They obviously knew we were coming, and they know we don’t have the aerial capabilities to counter their antiaircraft guns and land our paratroopers further inland, so they fortified the coasts. My idea was to fire several missiles from Cuba, as well as fly in a few bombers from there, to target the southern tip of the peninsula. Tejas and Mexico would mass a fleet to the west to make it appear like we’re going to invade there, while I lead the real invasion fleet north and attack the eastern coast. Our forces rush straight for Cuscowilla and cut off the main Crusader army to the south.

The Ocuil Acatl fired its guns. The boom was deafening, but it wasn’t unexpected; Atoc had heard it so many more times. The room gently shook from the recoil, and Atoc almost spilled his drink. Seconds later, a portion of the treeline at the edge of the beach exploded, taking out a Crusader tank that had stopped there.

This isn’t going so well, is it? We’re not making much progress. After several hours, we’re still struggling to secure the beach. The Crusaders are in the middle of a significant counterattack using tanks and helicopters, which is somehow pushing us back into the sea. We only expected marines and paratroopers, not freaking tanks! Though that would explain how Cuscowilla fell so quickly.

A little bit inland lay Cuscowilla, their target. Its history dated back to the mid-18th century. Thirty years before the Sunrise Invasion, the northern Muscogean peninsula formed the northeasternmost altepetl of the Triple Alliance, with Este Mvskokvlke controlling the southern half. Due to Este Mvskokvlke being a minor power compared to the then-hegemon of the Eimericas, the border wasn’t as heavily patrolled as the constantly shifting northern borders with Tsalagehi Ayeli and the Chahta Yakni (Choctaw kingdom). As a result, at one part of the border, up near the northeastern coast of the peninsula, two towns emerged, one founded by Nahua settlers and the other by the local Muscogeans. They traded closely with each other for several years, developing a tight friendship that transcended political ties. When the Sunrise Invasion began in the middle of a Triple Alliance campaign against the Jin Dynasty, tying up the majority of the empire’s troops in South Eimerica or on the other side of North Eimerica, Este Mvskokvlke launched an invasion to reunite the Muscogean peninsula under its rule. The Nahua town that had traded with and befriended its Muscogean neighbor defected from Tenochtitlan, bringing with it a sizeable garrison of jaguar warriors and local mercenaries. The two towns became a crucial staging ground for Este Mvskokvlke’s reconquest of the peninsula and later the conquest of all claimed Muscogean territory, which was accomplished by 1772. For their contribution in the “War of Muscogean Sunrise,” the two towns were merged into one and became the new capital of Este Mvskokvlke, known as Cuscowilla. Although it fell from power a couple decades later when Este Mvskokvlke fell under a personal union with the rising Meskwaki Empire and subsequently became little more than a provincial capital for the next 300 years, it remained a moderately important city, with commercial ties ranging from the Kanatan/Rhotinonsionni cities on the northeastern coast to the Mexican heartland to the Mayan Caribbean and UPM. Regaining its capital status after the fall of the equalist Union of Thirteen Republics in the late 1980s, Cuscowilla quickly grew with significant foreign and Eimerican federal investment, regaining some semblance of its former glory within 30 years. The Crusaders were now aiming to turn back the clock.

But they’ll soon realize that the bond between the two old towns is not something they can overcome with raw firepower. Especially when we Mitteleimericans are coming back to free them. Just like we did with Mobile in 1986. And it’s not only Mitteleimericans storming the beaches. We have Muscogeans, Cherokee, Chahta, Mayans, and even Mexicans. Yes, the Mexicans who once oppressed you. They’ve finally come around and realized the errors of their ways. Now they no longer step on your land to conquer you, but to protect you. Just as the Nahuas of Cuscowilla chose to side with Este Mvskokvlke three centuries ago.

Atoc looked at the door. Nobody came through. He looked at his watch. It was about 1300 hours, local time.

Usually at this time I would have a reporter interviewing me. It was like that back in ’86. A young reporter from Neurhomania was following me back then. She was willing to jump into a very dangerous front when no one else did. We sailed deep into CSSA-controlled waters, where one wrong movement could mean we die from a mine or expose our position and get blasted with several missiles. But she was still there. She didn’t care. You know what she said about her post?

“Nobody cared for this front nobody expected would even exist two weeks ago. Everyone thought it was suicide. And everyone wants to cover the flashier fronts elsewhere, like Berlin, or the Balkans, or the Baltics. So I chose this one.”

“Why did you?” I said.

“Because somebody should care. That’s what journalism is all about. Covering stories overlooked, getting the truth of things, no matter how obscure they are. So we arrive at a better understanding of our world. Not just the most obvious things.”

He looked at the door again. Still nobody. There would be nobody coming today. Just like yesterday and the day before. His schedule had no interviews booked, but he still looked.

Who cares about this campaign, though? It’s not as crazy or out of the blue as Mobile 52 years ago, but still nobody is coming to cover it. I don’t think anyone cares about it. They all went off to Persia or Vilnius or whatever the frak Higa’s doing down in Sumatra. Maybe they’re scared of the chemical weapons the Crusaders have used further inland. I don’t blame them—I know that Igor Shulkin guy is scared, and I appreciate him being candid about that. Or maybe they just don’t care. So…where’s that reporter who does, then? That one reporter who still believes in the ideals of journalism and seeks to uncover the full truth, no matter how obscure. Are they still around, after what the Reich, China, and India did to their journalists? Where is that original reporter? How’s she doing these days? I hope she’s not dead.

The Ocuil Acatl’s guns fired again, and another part of the beach exploded. Atoc finished his glass and put the bottle away.

Okay, that’s enough reflecting for today. We have a long road ahead of us. After we take Cuscowilla, we won’t sit around. We’ll march west to the Mississippi Delta, then Tejas City, and then the real prize.

He looked at a map of North Eimerica. He had previously drawn a line leading from Cuscowilla to the delta to Tejas City, sneaking along the Gulf Coast until it veered inland towards its final destination, which was circled in red ink.

Tenochtitlan. Ollin’s place. The ruins of that city are being turned into one huge fortress by the Crusaders, from which they launch missiles full of nerve gas deeper into the continent. Their control of the city prevents federal and member state reinforcements from heading further south to the Tawantinsuyuan front. We need to take it back soon, and then we can focus our attention on Kleinvenedig entirely. I have to do this, at least for Ollin’s sake.

If nobody cared about his campaign, he would give them a reason to care.

Constantinople

Josh entered his house. He was home for the first time in months, as it was on the way. He suspected the rebels would have to pass through Constantinople on their way east. His Panopticon had also flagged a report of sabotage and a triggered alarm at the train station yesterday, which he found suspicious. But he would handle that tomorrow. As for now, he had dinner to eat.

“I’m home!” he said.

There was no response.

Am I expecting one? Well yes but actually no.

“Where’s dinner?”

Still no response. Is something wrong?

After taking off his shoes and putting away his coat, he went to the kitchen. Khulan was still cooking, and rather badly. Which should be expected, as at her age and with her circumstances she would have had little time to learn. But expecting was not the same as tolerating.

Time to be a man.

He pushed her away from the stove and checked the pan. “What the frak is this?!”

“I’m—I’m cooking—dinner,” Khulan said.

Josh grabbed a fistful of fried rice off the pan itself—his Panopticon turning off the pain—and shoved it in his mouth.

Just as I expected, it’s half finished and thus horrible. Again, expecting is not the same as tolerating.

He picked up the pan and dumped everything on the floor. “Look what you made me do, Aida. You made me throw away some perfectly good ingredients.”

“If you had just waited—” Khulan began.

Josh slammed the still-hot pan into Khulan’s head. The girl crumpled to the ground, clutching her head.

“Wait?! Men do not concern themselves with waiting! I expect dinner to be ready when I get home, and I believe I made myself clear many times. It’s your fault for not remembering. Or maybe…you forgot.”

“Please!” Khulan pleaded. “Please stop!”

“A man does not beg for mercy! “A man does not give in to feminine wiles! A man is a vulture!”

“What are you even saying?!”

“I’m saying I’m going to teach you a lesson. If you are to be a good mother to our son, you need to learn.”

He brought the pan down like an axe on Khulan’s leg, hearing the satisfying snapping of bones. Khulan screamed in pain, and Josh next slammed the pan into her mouth.

“Shut up, b****! You’re going to wake him up!”

But Khulan wouldn’t stop whining.

Kids these days. Special snowflakes who can’t help but cancel and censor anyone who disagrees with them. Always whining and asking for handouts. Well, here’s something right out of my hand.

He hit her in the head again, and again, and again. Finally, the screams stopped.

#cancelled.

Khulan lay on the kitchen floor in a bloodied mess. His Panopticon detected no vitals. She was dead.

Oh. Whatever. Nobody cares about a stupid Taurican girl anyways. The judge would understand, and Theodor would put in a good word for me. I can always get another wife to look after the kids. Stupid girl. Why do you have to inconvenience me so? Now I have to call someone to cook. It’s going to make me look bad. Not to mention the cost.

---

I hit some really bad writer’s block with this update and the next one, so sorry about the lack of details.

An update from 12/25-26/21: I spent a while reworking the entirety of the Atoc segment, which was originally an interview between him and Igor Shulkin I couldn’t get right no matter what I did. Hopefully this works better.

Update from right before posting this: I also have to apologize regarding Khulan. She had already disappeared for several updates on end because the story moved too far away from her, and I no longer know what to do with her.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Update from right before posting this: I also have to apologize regarding Khulan. She had already disappeared for several updates on end because the story moved too far away from her, and I no longer know what to do with her.
I guess that’s the problem with such a massive cast, some characters just aren’t going to be equally fleshed out with others and might have to leave the story abruptly, even if it’s messy and grim exit like with poor Khulan here unfortunately. There is one good thing to take away from this dark moment through, it does help make the moment where Josh finally gets what coming to him all the more satisfying. Considering we haven’t seen him lose anything or get a freak out aside from where the moment where Anders got under his skin and Josh only gets rewarded for all his crimes, I think a major breakdown and a very fitting punishment is due for Josh soon.

I still like this update quite a lot through. Having Angelica’s group witness the preservation of Roman society and discuss how the Reich should move forward with such a large portion of its people being complicit in Jerusalem’s rise was a great moment. I also love seeing the Eimerican story continue through Atoc as well and the lore and charaterization you fit there, especially that bit with Cuscowilla‘s history (which immedatiley got me a little confused with the name due to how simlar it sounds to Cusco. Thought we were in Twantinsuyu for a second. :p) and the converstation between Atoc and the reporter.

Just out curiosity, was that journalist someone we met before or a new character? Suppose it’s possible for it to be Theresa, but I’m not sure if she was working at Die Zeiten at that point.

I get the feeling that the 50 million true believers would have a good chance of surviving and being a problem for post Commitee regimes just as much as the 50 million ambivalents are. How future Roman governments and political culture will react this polarization will be interesting, because it’s entirely possible they might nose dive into either authoritarianism or total anarchy trying to prevent another Jerusalem due to becoming scared of its people if they’re not careful, or in other words, the victims and killers might end up being switched while those that watch will stay the same.

I wonder whatever became of Cahokia in this timeline, as the Mississippi culture still retained its civilization and became a part of Eimerican powers like the Meskwaki Empire CSA, Choctaw Republic and the Eimerican Federation here? Suppose it’s possible for it to have declined and become abandoned just like it did in OTL as I don’t remember it being mentioned in this AAR itself, but ever since I learned about it and how it was larger than London at some point I‘ve been wondering if was destroyed by the Aztecs, declined like it in OTL or lasted all the way to the modern day as a big city in TTL (before getting nuked of course.)

You know Zen, this war would be a good opportunity for Neurhomania, Africa and Sumatra to break away from the Reich by having the EF, EAC and Sivrijava annex those regions in the peace deal (probably with console commands) and role play it as them secceding to become member nations of those superstates (or to be annexed by existing members like Twantinsuyu and Nusantara if they’re unlucky) if you want to go that route.Then again, that would require for Jerusalem to be defeated in this war, and none of those regions seem like they are in any good position to leave the Reich for a Superstate right now.

Last edited:
I guess that’s the problem with such a massive cast, some characters just aren’t going to be equally fleshed out with others and might have to leave the story abruptly, even if it’s messy and grim exit like with poor Khulan here unfortunately. There is one good thing to take away from this dark moment through, it does help make the moment where Josh finally gets what coming to him all the more satisfying. Considering we haven’t seen him lose anything or get a freak out aside from where Anders got under his skin and only get rewarded for all his crimes, I think a major breakdown and a punishment worse than death is due for Josh soon.
that was also one of the reasons I wrote the committee's takeover a massacre of several important characters instead of the game's depiction and my original take of a peaceful transfer of power

I sure hope Josh's comeuppance comes sooner rather than later...

...way sooner...

shudders in next update
I do like the other two segments of this update quite a lot through. Having Angelica’s group witness the preservation of Roman society and discuss how the Reich should move forward with such a large portion of its people being complicit in Jerusalem’s rise was a great moment. I also love seeing the Eimerican story continue through Atoc as well and the lore and charaterization you fit there, especially that bit with Cuscowilla‘s history (which immedatiley got me a little confused with the name due to how simlar it sounds to Cusco. Thought we were in Twantinsuyu for a second. :p) and the converstation between Atoc and the reporter.
I think you mean "destruction.":p Though the word preservation now got me thinking of if instead of heading to Persia to warn Schengen of the new bioweapon I had Angelica go around Jerusalem saving priceless artifacts from destruction.
(which immedatiley got me a little confused with the name due to how simlar it sounds to Cusco. Thought we were in Twantinsuyu for a second.
That was my reaction when I saw that name too.
Just out curiosity, was that journalist someone we met before or a new character? Suppose it’s possible for it to be Theresa, but I’m not sure if she was working at Die Zeiten at point.
I wrote this from the point of view of it being a random 1980s reporter. It could be Theresa, and she was probably in her 20s and starting out as a reporter during the war, but I'm not sure right now. It would line up though.
I get the feeling that the 50 million true believers would have a good chance of surviving and being a problem for post Commitee regimes just as much as the 50 million ambivalents are. How future Roman governments and political culture will react this polarization will be interesting, because it’s entirely possible they might nose dive into either authoritarianism or total anarchy trying to prevent another Jerusalem due to becoming scared of its people if they’re not careful, or in other words, the victims and killers might end up being switched while those that watch will stay the same.
That's assuming the committee simply disappears tomorrow and suddenly Wilhelmina, Izinchi, and Gebhard are in charge of a restored pre-2030 Roman government. Even then, the damage the committee has done will already last decades. And that's assuming they stop doing more damage immediately. laughs in next update
I wonder whatever became of Cahokia in this timeline, as the Mississippi culture still retained its civilization and became a part of Eimerican powers like the Meskwaki Empire CSA, Choctaw Republic and the Eimerican Federation here? Suppose it’s possible for it to have declined and become abandoned just like it did in OTL as I don’t remember it being mentioned in this AAR itself, but ever since I learned about it and how it was larger than London at some point I‘ve been wondering if was destroyed by the Aztecs, declined like it in OTL or lasted all the way to the modern day as a big city in TTL (before getting nuked of course.)
I was also thinking about Cahokia and other Native American cities a little bit ago as I wanted to flesh out the Eimericans to be more urbanized and reject the “Native Americans were all hunter-gatherers with no concept of cities” stereotype we have in real life. My idea is Cahokia remains at least a mid-sized city with religious and political importance (more like religious/political urban centers in Spain than Rome or Constantinople though), but I’m not sure where to go from there. One idea is it was at the center of an alliance against the Triple Alliance during the initial conquests, which could lead to its sacking. Maybe Pierremaskin and the other Meskwaki emperors made pilgrimages there.
You know Zen, this war would be a good opportunity for Neurhomania, Africa and Sumatra to break away from the Reich by having the EF, EAC and Sivrijava annex those regions in the peace deal (probably with console commands) and role play it as them secceding to become member nations of those superstates (or to be annexed by existing members like Twantinsuyu and Nusantara if they’re unlucky) if you want to go that route.Then again, that would require for Jerusalem to be defeated in this war, and none of those regions seem like they are in any good position to leave the Reich for a Superstate right now.
That sounds like a good idea, but yeah, it assumes Jerusalem loses.

Oh, that also gave me a new idea. I could reinstall Victoria 2 (assuming it runs well on this computer as I've never actually run it on this one), load up the save, and then edit the final map to fit the story I want, as well as getting gameplay data I didn’t take in my final session.

The lack of some details is fine, it's still a good update.

The lack of some details is fine, it's still a good update.
Thanks. The internal monologues I did for Atoc’s part really saved the whole segment in my opinion.

Reactions:
Asserting Dominance

Tsarberg Crusader forward operating base - December 18

Theodor had set up several large computer screens in his tent. Each screen showed camera or satellite footage—from the few remaining Jerusalem satellites still in operation—focusing on locations in Scandinavia. The clouds had parted over Northern Europe today enough for him to make out the skylines of Oslo and Stockholm among the many targets. Elias impatiently crossed his arms.

I can almost feel his frustration overflowing. It’s terrifying. What’s gotten into him?

“So I take it we’re ready to begin?” Elias said.

“Yes, in theory,” Theodor said, “Though I think our original plan of just hitting the five major cities would be enough.”

Should be a suitable compromise.

“No. If you are ready to attack, then attack all targets. Scandinavia must be permanently neutralized.”

All?! You have any idea how many of these weapons I have? How long these take to build?

“We should at least be efficient about it. Don’t we want to conserve our ammunition? Just hitting the cities would be enough, I feel. If there are survivors, more people will spread the word of what we did, which is what we want. To scare them into submission.”

And so I have more potential customers in the future…or potential victims for my current customers. Killing them all is very bad for business.

“I’d rather just kill them.”

“Don’t you think that’s a little too much?”

Elias glared at him. “Are you questioning my orders?”

Again, what’s gotten into you? You were never like this when we first started out. For crying out loud, you were the voice of reason in the room most of the time! I hate being the voice of reason! It costs me too much money.

“No, Elias, I’m just providing my own viewpoint. Now, I may hate equalists and leftists and such, but I prefer leaving some alive to suffer and reflect on their wrongdoings.”

Also the potential customers and victims for customers.

“In a war like this, I don’t have time for torture and intimidation,” Elias said, “We need to sweep them into the dustbin of history so Christendom unites the world.”

Look, I’m all for sweeping things into the dustbin of history to assert Christian dominance, but there are probably easier and more effective ways.

“We may need the stockpile for the Persia campaign, though,” Theodor said, “Did you forget about the ex-princess?’

“I haven’t forgotten. I have been training for days in your exosuit. What we’ll do in Scandinavia will send a clear message to her about the consequences of further resistance.”

We don’t even know if she’s still alive. She’s been off the radar the last two weeks. Not a single blip from her since we hit the bunker. This could all be yet another waste of my money if it turns out she’s been dead all along. Also, you really need at least a few months of training in that. Especially since you’re not the user we had in mind.

“Can’t we just hit Persia instead? It would solve a lot of problems.”

Yeah, go kill Thea and Alex, for all I care. Now I would love to be there in person or do it myself, but I’m not about to waste my investment in these weapons systems.

“Move ahead with the operation now,” Elias said, “Assert our position before we lose the advantage. We will not touch Persia, as I intend to handle that myself.”

“Are you sure?” Theodor nervously asked.

Elias pounded the table. “Are you a coward?! Are you a man?!”

Ever since you’ve gotten back from Yavdi, you’ve changed, and not in a good way. It scares me, what you’ve become. And it takes a lot to scare me. Really, I just signed on for two things twenty years ago. Put the equalists in their place by asserting Christian dominance, and make money in the process. Yeah, there’s also a third thing in the whole putting my sister and Alex in their places, but that falls under the first category. I think we’re moving far away from both of those points.

“Are you a man, Theodor? Don’t you want to avenge your parents?”

Not like this! I don’t want to be seen as the second coming of Uncle Willy!

“I…yes, but—”

“DOUEW EET!”

“Okay, okay!” Theodor said, throwing up his hands. “Fine! I’ll do it!”

He pushed the button. Seconds later, the radios buzzed with status reports and updates. The cameras pointed at Scandinavia showed dozens of missiles hitting their targets, variously releasing clouds of gas or starting massive fires. From space, the satellite footage showed plumes of smoke rising all across Scandinavia. For several minutes, the bombardment continued. Entire blocks were leveled, burned to cinders, or shrouded in gas. Theodor could see people fleeing on the streets, only to cough and choke on the gas and fall, writhing in pain before they went limp, their bodies slowly dissolving or corroding from the toxic fumes. Others were crushed by falling debris or engulfed by the firestorms. Fifteen minutes into the attack, thick clouds of smoke and gas had already covered large areas around the major cities. It would only get worse from there. The day wasn’t over yet.

West of Stockholm

Irina tried to cover her mouth, but ash still got into her throat, forcing her to cough. The air was thick with black smoke, making it almost impossible to see. Her refugee truck’s progress slowed to a crawl. Not only because of the smoke, but because of the massive traffic jam on the highway. At this point, even the people in the outer suburbs, who had been spared the worst of the nuclear attack and subsequent SVI bombardment, were fleeing west. Everything within fifty miles of Stockholm had been covered in napalm or nerve gas, and nobody wanted to stay. Her truck’s destination was the central town of Tingvalla, where the remnants of the Scandinavian government had set up a new refugee camp far from the fire and gas. If only they could actually make progress in this traffic jam before the flames got to them.

Irina barely had enough time to process what was going on. The last two months had been a blur for her. First Stockholm and a hundred other cities got nuked, then Olga died and now Jerusalem was scouring Scandinavia with all sorts of weapons of mass destruction. Even if her place had survived the nuke—which it didn’t—it definitely wouldn’t be livable after today.

But where would I stay, then? I don’t know. The kroner is almost certainly worthless now. And with the future of the world as uncertain as it is now, I don’t know how this is going to end. It’s just like the orphanage all over again. Only this time, I don’t have Olga. I still have trouble accepting she’s gone. Why did I have to lose her? Why did she have to die first? Why did she have to leave me alone? …No. I can’t act like this. I know the truth. Her last text to me…keep that in mind. We’ll always be each other’s sister, no matter what happens. She died protecting me, just like she protected me in the orphanage. But she’s no longer around to protect me. I have to stand for myself again. As I’ve told myself since I settled here with Aunt Natalia. As I’ve lived by for the last fifty years.

Irina took a deep breath and steeled herself. “Olga, if you’re out there…I haven’t forgotten what you’ve done for me. You gave your life for me…so now I’m going to live for you.”

Oslo

Surprisingly, Sylvia’s house was still intact. Some stuff had been broken or smashed on the floor due to the shockwave from the nuke in November, but the actual explosion never reached their part of the suburbs, and thanks to the wind direction, the initial firestorm also spared the neighborhood. They hadn’t been allowed back into their house until just yesterday. But of course, today just had to be the day when Jerusalem began firebombing Oslo. So as the flames spread through downtown, creating a massive cloud of smoke in the distance, Clara and her family quickly packed all of their valuables. Clara put another family portrait in her suitcase.

“Did you get the flash drives?” she said.

“Yeah, made sure to take everything,” Sylvia said, “Took the whole hard drive just in case.”

Clara sighed. “This is so frustrating. We just settled back in here, and we have to go?”

“Yeah, I know. But it’ll be safer in Tingvalla.”

“I was relieved the house was okay. And to leave it up to the mercy of the fire again…my promise…”

“Still fixated on that promise to Angelica?”

Still haven’t heard anything from Angelica, or any of the Bremerhaven people, really. I know they’re most likely dead, but I haven’t seen any bodies yet. Maybe I’ll never know. And that’s the most excruciating thing about it.

“Yeah. I haven’t given up hope on her.”

“Anyways, make sure you get everything important.

“I know, Sylv.”

Clara went over to her desk and gathered up important files to put in her backpack. “I think that’s all for the office.”

“If the Crusaders come here, they’ll get nothing from us,” Sylvia said.

“I’d rather die than let anything fall into their hands.”

“I know.”

Clara clenched her fists. “You know I won’t let them take you or Oliver. I got you away from Jerusalem once before, I can do it again.”

“Clara, don’t tell me you’re going to sacrifice yourself again,” Sylvia said.

“If it means saving you two, I would do it again.”

“Clara, please don’t.” Sylvia took Clara’s hand. “After we left you at the airport, Oliver cried for days. He was constantly asking when his mom would come home. I tried my best, but…it was hard, without you. These last few years were hard for both of us. I don’t want to go through that again. So please don’t throw your life away. Think of us.”

Clara looked at the important files she had gathered. Of course, she got the medical files and legal documents first, but in her hands were other things: homework, projects, drawings, and other arts and crafts Oliver made at school. On top of the pile was Oliver’s “Fylkja Clara” drawing, which had been framed.

“What’s most important is Oliver’s future. He needs you as much as he needs me.”

Clara slowly understood. She nodded.

“I get it. I promise you, Sylv. I won’t let them take you or Oliver. But I won’t let them take me away too.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's obviously bad news that it's necessary, but I do love over Theodor being so annoyed and worried that he's being the reasonable one.

It's obviously bad news that it's necessary, but I do love over Theodor being so annoyed and worried that he's being the reasonable one.
All it took was the slow and painful death of Scandinavia for Theodor to finally realize he has a conscience. A really twisted idea of a conscience, but it’s there.

Theodor probably should be considering using his control over Argus to pull a coup against Elias at this point, given how mentally unstable and unfit for leadership he clearly is. The fact I'm saying that Theodor of all people would be a more sane alternative to Elias is saying a lot. It's been very surprising yet entertaining to see Theodor lose his calm demeanor and get intimated by Elias and Josh lately through, goes to show even he has standards (as low as they are), which I feel add a lot of depth and nuisance to his character.

All that damage to Scandinavia is happening without Smallpox? Well things are about to get from bad to worse very soon aren't they. Hopefully Clara's family, Irina and the remaining Humboldts in Scandinavia (even through they have already left the story) don't catch it. But as you keep saying Zen, we can't have nice things.

Knowing Scandinavia imminent doom and what's happening in Andalusia under Jerusalem, I think Kanata might end up being the last bastion of Norse culture now, assuming Jerusalem doesn't conquer the Eimericas that is. Assuming there are any survivors from this, I don't I can ever see them being on friendly terms with the Reich again even if Jerusalem falls, so we might go back to Scandinavians and Romans always going for each others throats like their dynamic before WW1.