The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A white horse eh? Well given the white stag hasn't been seen for decades I suppose this one will do, assuming it is indeed a sign and not sheer coincidence. It's great to see more glimpses to Willhelmina's life, especially in regards to her own mother. A memory, of an age that has long since passed unfortunately.

Grats on the 7k posts btw! That's a hell of an achievement.

A white horse eh? Well given the white stag hasn't been seen for decades I suppose this one will do, assuming it is indeed a sign and not sheer coincidence. It's great to see more glimpses to Willhelmina's life, especially in regards to her own mother. A memory, of an age that has long since passed unfortunately.

Grats on the 7k posts btw! That's a hell of an achievement.
I really didn't show much about Wilhelmina's relationship with her parents other than her saying a lot of things, so I figured now's the perfect time for that.

I never believed I would reach 7k posts mostly because I thought I'd be on Stellaris by now. Can't believe I'm really here.

Now that you bring up, I suppose it would make sense for a white horse to be the Yavaidan equivalent of a white stag, seeing how we haven’t the white stag for a while. After all, I think CK2 the regular white stag gets replaced with a white tiger event if you play in India IIRC. Either that or it could be related to biblical symbolism with the four horsemen, but I don’t think that would make much sense in this context of Wilhelmina or Yavaidan culture, even through we are basically in the middle of an apocalypse caused by a Christofascist dictatorship.

Nice to see Wilhelmina interact with her mother through this flashback. Looking forward to seeing how your delop her father in the next update, seeing how he doesn’t have much content.

Congrats on 7k post mile stone, who would‘ve thought we would’ve got this far when you first started the NWO part. Looks like we‘ll be making it to over 400 pages at this rate. Well at least I’m certain the rest of NWO will be as enjoyable as what came before.
No, it's somewhere else.
All right, my next guess would be the LOK reference with Wilhelmina using her power to cheat at that game, but I’m too sure about that. Would you mind giving a little hint for us?

Now that you bring up, I suppose it would make sense for a white horse to be the Yavaidan equivalent of a white stag, seeing how we haven’t the white stag for a while. After all, I think CK2 the regular white stag gets replaced with a white tiger event if you play in India IIRC. Either that or it could be related to biblical symbolism with the four horsemen, but I don’t think that would make much sense in this context of Wilhelmina or Yavaidan culture, even through we are basically in the middle of an apocalypse caused by a Christofascist dictatorship.
It wasn't my intention to make a white stag parallel, but I suppose that works out. A white horse works perfectly as the Mongol/steppes equivalent of the White Stag (even if I think in CK2 they would get a bear). I just wanted to go for actual Mongol symbolism, since their culture revolves around horses and they put more emphasis on horse heroes than human ones.
Nice to see Wilhelmina interact with her mother through this flashback. Looking forward to seeing how your delop her father in the next update, seeing how he doesn’t have much content.
Funny enough, the next update originally didn't have a flashback to Wilhelmina's father as he was barely a character, unlike Elisabeth Alexandra.
Congrats on 7k post mile stone, who would‘ve thought we would’ve got this far when you first started the NWO part. Looks like we‘ll be making it to over 400 pages at this rate. Well at least I’m certain the rest of NWO will be as enjoyable as what came before.
I have great plans for the future, and once this arc is finished, I look forward to using my new writing style for what I do next.
All right, my next guess would be the LOK reference with Wilhelmina using her power to cheat at that game, but I’m too sure about that. Would you mind giving a little hint for us?
Was that an LOK reference? From what I remember, the only instances of cheating at a game in both ATLA and LOK are Toph running street game scams and Tahno rigging the pro-bending finals (which I already referenced with the Uberbowl attack). Needless to say, that scene was completely original.

As for a hint, let's say it has to do with breakfast.

That was just nice. Slightly disappointed she didn't name it Mudkip, but Heidi's nice.

That was just nice. Slightly disappointed she didn't name it Mudkip, but Heidi's nice.
Elias: “So I herd u liek mudkipz”
Wilhelmina: “…” stabs him

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Yeah, that's Shoukouh, the lowborn woman Friedrich the Glorious married. My headcanon from CK2 was she died of an illness around the time Gunhilda appeared (after being married to Friedrich for about 5-6 years and having no children with him). Perhaps I could work the Cult or some angry anti-Restoration nobles into that somehow.
Now that I think about it, I could just write Shoukouh completely out of the story since she had very little importance to the story (no political matters, children, or anything else). It would explain why Friedrich had an affair with Sbyslava and get around the religious and political consequences of the man who finished the Restoration committing adultery with the pagan Tsaritsa, of all people.

Was that an LOK reference? From what I remember, the only instances of cheating at a game in both ATLA and LOK are Toph running street game scams and Tahno rigging the pro-bending finals (which I already referenced with the Uberbowl attack). Needless to say, that scene was completely original.
I was referring to the start of Book two where Korra used the Avatar state to win an Airbending race against Tenzin's children, which was followed up by Tenzin chastising her for using the Avatar state so casually. I know the scene in this update is very different from the LOK, I just thought the premise was similar.

I was referring to the start of Book two where Korra used the Avatar state to win an Airbending race against Tenzin's children, which was followed up by Tenzin chastising her for using the Avatar state so casually. I know the scene in this update is very different from the LOK, I just thought the premise was similar.
Oh, that scene. I had completely forgotten about it when I wrote this, but I don't plan on adapting Book 2 content in this arc.

Great update. I love the scene with Wilhelmina and her mother. One criticism that I have is that next update can you put back were it says what character is talking again because it sometimes felt like it was difficult to tell who was talking when?

Unless Han and Zhao come around to admitting they messed up and underestimated Ryukyu, they'll continue being humiliated, and their egos will lead them to double down on their current course, causing a vicious cycle in which they simply can't reverse course and consider Ryukyu a serious threat without revealing their own incompetence and idiocy to their peoples.
I am currently watching The Great War YouTube channel that talks about WWI week by week from 2014 to 2018 and I am in May 1918 right now. In watching that series two figures that have become the definitions of incompetence (to me at least) have been Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf and Luigi Cadorna. This has made me compare Han and Zhao to them whenever I hear about their extreme levels of incompetence.

Wow, that's post 7000.
Here's to reaching post 7000 and to many more mile stones in the future. :)

As for a hint, let's say it has to do with breakfast.
Douse it have to do with the turnips being Mongolian instead of Irish?

Great update. I love the scene with Wilhelmina and her mother. One criticism that I have is that next update can you put back were it says what character is talking again because it sometimes felt like it was difficult to tell who was talking when?
Yeah, sorry about that. This was one of the first updates in the current batch that I edited like this, so the dialogue might be a little unclear. But I think I got better at telling different people's dialogue apart in later updates, and in cases where multiple people are talking or a new character joins the conversation, I definitely make it clear who's talking. May have to go back and edit the batch again just to make sure.
I am currently watching The Great War YouTube channel that talks about WWI week by week from 2014 to 2018 and I am in May 1918 right now. In watching that series two figures that have become the definitions of incompetence (to me at least) have been Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf and Luigi Cadorna. This has made me compare Han and Zhao to them whenever I hear about their extreme levels of incompetence.
Yeah, Hötzendorf and Cadorna were pretty incompetent. I definitely see Han and Zhao sharing their vibes.
Here's to reaching post 7000 and to many more mile stones in the future. :)
in before I hit 10k posts in this thread alone
Douse it have to do with the turnips being Mongolian instead of Irish?
No, but you are on the right track. Notice anything suspicious about the turnips?

Also, this isn't really an easter egg to any real life pop culture work, but rather to something that previously happened in this AAR.

Also, a quick update. You remember when we were talking about the lyrics to A Heroine's Destiny a while ago? Well, it turns out I wrote almost complete lyrics to that song over the weekend. I'm not going to post it yet as I'm still editing the lyrics to flow better, but I think I'll feed a few lines into future updates and eventually the full song at some point.

Reactions:
Also, I think you quoted my line twice (once for the above comment).
I just remembered that. But the duplicate quote was supposed to have been about the traditional dress that was given to Wilhelmina when she woke up.

No, but you are on the right track. Notice anything suspicious about the turnips?

Also, this isn't really an easter egg to any real life pop culture work, but rather to something that previously happened in this AAR.
Um was it that the villagers did not know were they came from? I think I remember a meme from this AAR in that the Cabbage man from ATLA made an appearance but in TTL I think he was selling turnips?

Also I know in this AAR the actual Hohenzollerns became the Schweinfurts. I also know that by the late 1800's you used Austrian rulers like Franz Joseph I, Karl I and Otto but I was wondering what happened to the Schweinfurts/OTL's Hohenzollerns before the Committee purged them because we only really know about Adolf Friedrich Albrect Heinrich von Mecklenburg Wilhelm II's second cousin being duke of the United Baltic Duchy?

The reason I ask is because in Kaiserreich some members of OTL's Hohenzollerns became important like Wilhelm II still being the Emperor with his oldest son Wilhelm, German Crown Prince being next in line. You also had other figures like these,
Wilhelm II's third son Adalbert von Hohenzollern being king of Flanders-Wallonia,
his fourth son August Wilhelm being king of Poland,
his brother-in-law Fredrik Kaarle I being king of Finland, and
Adolf Friedrich Albrect Heinrich von Mecklenburg also being duke of the United Baltic Duchy.

I just remembered that. But the duplicate quote was supposed to have been about the traditional dress that was given to Wilhelmina when she woke up.
I see. I liked the blurb I wrote about the dress. Having been forced to change out of her old outfit, Wilhelmina must take on a new identity and destiny.
Um was it that the villagers did not know were they came from? I think I remember a meme from this AAR in that the Cabbage man from ATLA made an appearance but in TTL I think he was selling turnips?
You’re on the right track, but our cabbage merchant still sells cabbages and has not appeared since CK2. I can say the reference is specifically to something else in NWO.
Also I know in this AAR the actual Hohenzollerns became the Schweinfurts. I also know that by the late 1800's you used Austrian rulers like Franz Joseph I, Karl I and Otto but I was wondering what happened to the Schweinfurts/OTL's Hohenzollerns before the Committee purged them because we only really know about Adolf Friedrich Albrect Heinrich von Mecklenburg Wilhelm II's second cousin being duke of the United Baltic Duchy?
Correction, the OTL Hohenzollerns became the Sigmaringens (from the OTL cadet branch that succeeded the main line). I’m not sure about the other Hohenzollerns/Schweinfurts I didn’t mention as they didn’t figure into my plans and there were no foreign thrones to install them on.
The reason I ask is because in Kaiserreich some members of OTL's Hohenzollerns became important like Wilhelm II still being the Emperor with his oldest son Wilhelm, German Crown Prince being next in line. You also had other figures like these,
Wilhelm II's third son Adalbert von Hohenzollern being king of Flanders-Wallonia,
his fourth son August Wilhelm being king of Poland,
his brother-in-law Fredrik Kaarle I being king of Finland, and
Adolf Friedrich Albrect Heinrich von Mecklenburg also being duke of the United Baltic Duchy.
Perhaps they were minor political figures or led their own branches in various provinces. Really the only one I remembered was Victoria Louise.

Correction, the OTL Hohenzollerns became the Sigmaringens (from the OTL cadet branch that succeeded the main line).
Yea I meant the Sigmaringens. Sorry for the confusion.

Perhaps they were minor political figures or led their own branches in various provinces. Really the only one I remembered was Victoria Louise.
To me I feel like Wilhelm II, Wilhelm, German Crown Prince, and Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia who were all heads of the Hohenzollerns from 1888-1941, 1941-1951, and 1951-1994 respectively in OTL and they could all be Kings/Governor's of Gaul with other members of the Sigmaringens being Grand Dukes, Dukes, and Princes of different regions in Gaul?

To me I feel like Wilhelm II, Wilhelm, German Crown Prince, and Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia who were all heads of the Hohenzollerns from 1888-1941, 1941-1951, and 1951-1994 respectively in OTL and they could all be Kings/Governor's of Gaul with other members of the Sigmaringens being Grand Dukes, Dukes, and Princes of different regions in Gaul?
The issue is the OTL Hohenzollern analogues went to the Maximists and not the Sigmaringens. Which is why I had Wilhelm II as the Maximist Franz Ferdinand and Victoria Louise as his daughter and the last Maximist. If I wanted to bring in equivalents of Wilhelm II's family, I would likely make them Maximists. I don't know who I'd use for the Sigmaringens, though.

The issue is the OTL Hohenzollern analogues went to the Maximists and not the Sigmaringens. Which is why I had Wilhelm II as the Maximist Franz Ferdinand and Victoria Louise as his daughter and the last Maximist. If I wanted to bring in equivalents of Wilhelm II's family, I would likely make them Maximists. I don't know who I'd use for the Sigmaringens, though.
At first I was confused and thought "What Wilhelm II was TTL's Franz Ferdinand?" but then I looked back in Chapter 220: The (Second) Final Finland War and saw that he was TTL's Franz Ferdinand.

However how did OTL's Hohenzollern's go from Sigmaringens to Maximist since from what I could gather in Chapter 163: The (First) Final Finland War in the Victoria 2 part it says,
The only truly liberal faction in the Diet was the Maximist faction. This faction was based on the legitimist movement of the same name which advocated for Prince Maximilian I of Saxony to be placed on the throne. Maximilian's claim came from the fact that he was the son of Kaiserin Frederica Augusta III, who in the 1790s issued the Pragmatic Sanction and disinherited him in favor of the future Kaiser Siegfried I, Sigismund's father and the son of the famed general Nikephoros von Hohenzollern, who was descended from the Anatolian branch of Hohenzollerns.

I apologize if I am asking you to retread old ground but it has been a while since I read the Victoria 2 part and due to trying to keep up with everything that is happening in the story now there are somethings I do not remember.

At first I was confused and thought "What Wilhelm II was TTL's Franz Ferdinand?" but then I looked back in Chapter 220: The (Second) Final Finland War and saw that he was TTL's Franz Ferdinand.

However how did OTL's Hohenzollern's go from Sigmaringens to Maximist since from what I could gather in Chapter 163: The (First) Final Finland War in the Victoria 2 part it says,

I apologize if I am asking you to retread old ground but it has been a while since I read the Victoria 2 part and due to trying to keep up with everything that is happening in the story now there are somethings I do not remember.
Only in CK2 did the analogue go from Sigmaringen to OTL Hohenzollern. From EU4 on, the analogue went from Maximist to OTL Hohenzollern as the Sigmaringens’ role in the story effectively vanished after CK2.

Also, Vicky happened to have two Franz Ferdinands, one Siegfriedist (OTL Franz Ferdinand) and the other Maximist (Wilhelm II). And even then I’m really only using names and portraits from the OTL Hohenzollerns and didn’t think too much about it.

Dad’s Lesson

December 7

Several targets had been set up on the meadow. Each had been set up to resemble a person’s head, torso, and limbs, marked appropriately to identify each part. Sophie paced across the meadow, weaving in between the targets.

“Alright, if you don’t want to stay a helpless princess forever, as your song says, you need to learn how to fight. Lucky for you, you’ve got someone with battlefield experience here to help, free of charge. No power or anything at first, just the basics. We’ll start with drawing Enonon.”

Wilhelmina, standing in front of the targets, reached for her left side, where she had strapped Enonon’s sheathe. Grabbing the hilt with her right hand, she pulled the sword out, although she wasn’t that used to it and it took a few seconds. Even after that, she was now holding the sword at a weird angle.

Yeah, holding it like how those Fire Emblem lords do it looks weird in real life. How about like a Jedi knight then?

Sophie frowned. “Didn’t your dad teach you some basics?”

“That was like forty years ago.”

“What do you remember, though?”

“Just basic fencing stuff. Attacking with a thrust, like this…”. She stabbed forward.

Dad’s probably facepalming somewhere.

“Though I think my slashes have more power. Since I’m using two hands for them.” She slashed down to demonstrate, but in doing so, she lost balance and stumbled forward. Her glasses fell off and softly landed in the grass.

Sophie shook her head. “I would say too much power. Stance is everything. If you lose balance, you expose yourself to attack and won’t be able to defend yourself. Plus, losing your glasses in the middle of battle could be potentially fatal.”

“Yeah, I can see that.”

Franz approves.

“Ha, ha.” Sophie wasn’t amused. “How about defensive techniques?”

“Dad taught me how to parry.”

“Let’s see your parry then.” Drawing a sword, Sophie lunged at Wilhelmina.

Wait, wait, wait! I’m not ready yet! No fair!

Wilhelmina instinctively raised Enonon. Her blade caught Sophie’s, and she pushed outward to redirect her strike. With Sophie’s balance thrown off and Enonon still in motion, Wilhelmina then lunged out, stopping Enonon several inches from Sophie’s face.

Sophie smiled. “Impressive. A riposte. Parrying and countering in one fluid movement. Your father taught you well.”

She suddenly swung again, and Wilhelmina moved Enonon away from Sophie’s face to intercept. But that gave Sophie the opportunity to punch Wilhelmina in the face and knock her glasses off again. “You fell for the feint. You have to learn to tell apart feints from real attacks.”

For someone who doesn’t technically exist, it still hurts. How does that work?

“How did you even hurt me?” Wilhelmina put her glasses back on. “And my glasses? I…what?”

Sophie shrugged. “Beats me. It won’t leave a scar or bruise or anything.”

Does this technically count as beating yourself up?

“I have so many questions.”

Sophie had already moved on. “You need to work on your offensive forms, but you seem to have the defensive forms done well. Fortunately for you, I know how to attack things.”

“But do you know modern fencing?”

“Modern fencing doesn’t work on the battlefield. It’s just a sport, after all. In my day, we learned actual swordfighting techniques for actual swordfighting.”

Okay boomer. Although wouldn’t she be centuries older than boomers? What does that make her, a super boomer? Frak, I’m getting a headache.

“Anyways, you seem to understand how to stab. We called it stechen.” She stabbed out with her sword. “But we have other techniques as well. Sometimes, you’re not in a good position to stab. Which is why you can slash instead.”

“Yeah, I know how to slash.”

“That is, slashing down from above. Oberhau, we call it. What if your enemy is shorter than you? Or you have the high ground? Or there’s a low ceiling? Can’t really slash down, can you? Instead, you can do a mittelhau…”. She slashed from the side to a target’s side.

“…or an unterhau.” She slashed up, hitting a target’s arm from underneath. “Try it out. But remember, watch your stance.”

First, Wilhelmina tried an oberhau strike. She planted her feet solidly, making sure she wouldn’t fall over.

“You want to adjust your stance to the situation at hand,” Sophie said, “Sometimes, standing your ground is nice, but other times you may want to stay light on your feet and move around.”

Wilhelmina nodded. She then raised Enonon and slashed down from above, making sure not to use too much strength. The blade cut through a target’s arm. Next was mittelhau. Fixing her stance, she swung from the side, and her blade cut deep into the target’s torso. Finally, there was unterhau. She pulled the blade out of the target, but she used the momentum to swing around and then slash up, cutting off the target’s other arm.

“Impressive,” Sophie said, “Conserving your momentum. Good. Now let’s move on to guarding.”

“Like what?”

“First, the ochs, or the ox. Simply put your sword like this.” She raised her sword to the side of her head, aiming the tip in front of her at a target.

“Oh, like Obi-Wan Kenobi,” Wilhelmina said, “Or Izumi.”

Izumi really doesn’t apply here because she uses two broadswords and a Chinese style, but Obi-Wan’s a Jedi, so whatever. At least she wears glasses like me.

Sophie looked puzzled. “I…guess so?

Obviously, she’s not a geek. I’m not surprised, but I’m still disappointed. Why am I disappointed. Who was I expecting, someone like Gunduz?

“Anyways, that’s a basic guard, which you can transition into either an oberhau or stechen. But I’ve got another guard you might find useful. The alber.” Sophie lowered the point of her sword to the ground.

“That’s it?”

“Come on, attack me.” Sophie beckoned.

“Is that it?”

Sophie impatiently sighed. “Just attack me.”

Wilhelmina attempted a stechen, stabbing outward, only for Sophie to simply flick her sword upward, parry Enonon, and bring its tip to a halt gently touching the bridge of Wilhelmina’s glasses. She nudged it a little, and flakes of blood fell off Wilhelmina’s lens like red snowflakes. “That’s why it’s called the fool’s guard. You trick your enemy into thinking you lowered your guard and exposed your upper body, but really you’re waiting until they make an opening of their own. Swordfighting isn’t just about your own technique. It’s about watching your enemy’s behavior as well. Exploit any movements and openings they make while attacking you, and use that to your advantage. Sometimes, they are their own worst enemy. For example…lock blades with me.”

“What?”

“Just do it.”

Wilhelmina slashed down, with Sophie putting up her sword to block the strike. With a loud clang, the two blades caught on each other.

“We seem to be in a bind, don’t we? Well, in that case, you can use zucken, or tugging.” She suddenly stopped resisting Wilhelmina, who wasn’t used to the sudden shift in strength and fell off balance. Sophie repositioned her sword and slashed at Wilhelmina’s side, stopping an inch from her. “Very useful if your opponent is physically superior. Stronger, faster, younger, more agile. What can be a disadvantage for you can quickly become an advantage, if you play your cards right.”

“Especially at 56, when everyone I fight is probably faster and stronger than me.”

“Naturally. Now, let’s continue practicing. Back to stance training.”

“Stance training?”

“You heard me. Stance. Training.”

“Can we at least take a break?

“Stance! Training!”

How did I end up being tormented by either herself or someone who doesn’t exist? This is going to be a long day.

December 8

They were again in the meadow. Sophie walked in between the targets, circling Wilhelmina. The princess gripped Enonon and slowly turned to stay facing her, monitoring the stick in her hand.

Come on, make your move. The suspense is killing me.

“Hey,” Sophie said.

“Yeah?”

Sophie lunged at her just as she said that, quickly tapping Wilhelmina’s neck.

Ow! Not fair!

“On the battlefield, your enemies won’t play fair. And neither should you.”

“You’re starting to sound like Uncle Karl. He always went ‘chivalry is dead’.”

Sophie withdrew back to the targets and resumed circling. “Guess who else is dead?”

I admit, it was a bit of a shock to hear the announcement of his death. It was so confusing. Though I guess it matches up with his life since Bloody Tuesday. I don’t know if he was either the worst person who ever lived, just misguided, or a puppet. There was the time he deported those Japanese anti-Paulluist protesters to certain death. Or the times he slowly smothered the Augustinian Code to the effect of “haha, what are you going to do about it.” Or the time he legally disowned me. But there was another side to him. He was much nicer when I was a kid. He and Mom always had their disagreements, but he never failed to send me presents for my birthday and Christmas. He was the one who got me both my PlayStation and Final Fantasy VII. We didn’t talk much after Mom died, but he never did anything against me. He left me alone for as long as he could after Bloody Tuesday, even though he said what he said on TV. Even when the disowning happened, he asked me to keep fighting in my own way, right afterward. I don’t know what to make of him. So when they said he died, I’m not sure what really happened there. Was he going to defect? Was he going to reveal something important? Was he going to apologize to me and everyone else he’s wronged? I might never know for sure. I don’t know how to feel about Uncle Karl.

“Sophie, Uncle Karl doesn’t deserve that.”

Sophie stared at her. “What do you mean? He’s directly responsible for our current predicament and the world being what it is today.”

“I mean, yes, but I feel he’s more complicated than that.”

“What’s more complicated than ‘evil tyrant who rules by fear and wants to take over the world’? Don’t you fight those guys all the time in Fire Emblem?”

If you had played Fire Emblem, you’d see most of those tyrants have reasons for being why they are. Like, say, Medeus who wants to protect his fellow dragons from a vengeful humanity. Or Ashnard who had a very brutal interpretation of meritocracy infused with racism Or Arvis who wanted a fair and just society but got turned into a puppet for the evil cult who twisted his movement into something absolutely terrifying. Now that I think about it, Uncle Karl reminds me a lot of Arvis. He was an okay Kaiser, all things considered. Had a lot of controversies, but nothing bad really happened until Bloody Tuesday, which I could see as Belhalla. Then the cult would be the committee. And when Uncle Karl and Arvis outlived their usefulness to the committee in the end, they were left to die, and their deaths were spun into a narrative. At least that’s what I think happened, after piecing together the evidence.

Wilhelmina scoffed. “Play the games. It’s more complicated than that.”

Oh wait, you cant because you dont exist.

Sophie lunged again, but this time Wilhelmina was ready. She raised Enonon to parry, slicing off the tip of the stick.

“You’re learning, good.” Sophie dropped the stick and pulled out her sword again. “Let’s go back to real weapons.”

She charged with lightning speed, and Wilhelmina willed Enonon to glow. The two of them locked blades before disengaging and swinging again. The clanging of steel echoed across the metal.

Damn, she’s fast. I physically can’t keep up, even with the power helping me. I’m just too old. I need to find a way.

Twelve-year-old Wilhelmina stood several feet away from her dad. Karl Eugen wasn’t that bulky of a man—he was around Elisabeth Alexandra’s height and a bit skinny—and that didn’t fit with the classic mustache he sported. A mustache that looked more fitting on Bismarck—that crazy old “iron and blood” guy—than on her dad. Mom saw no issue with it, though. Said it added to his “charm.”

Wilhelmina put her hands on her hips and sighed. “Dad, do we have to do this?”

They were in the house gym, which had some exercise machines lying around.

Dad always said he wanted to put on some more muscle, especially after Mom told him what some tabloids were saying. She doesn’t care too much for the tabloids, but she likes how they motivate Dad. He’s pretty reactive to these things. Unfortunately, he never got around to actually doing it.

“Young lady, it’s important that you know fencing,” Karl Eugen said,.

“But all of the other girls play tennis or something!” Wilhelmina replied.

Or golf. The other noble kids always brag about being the best at golf.

Karl Eugen sighed. “Kids these days…fencing is an ancient and prestigious art! Do they not get that?”

“They don’t.” Wilhelmina didn’t hesitate.

“Well, you will, Willie.” He walked around the gym, weaving in between the machines.

“What are you doing, Dad?”

“You have to be ready for attacks from anywhere. Asymmetrical warfare. Unfair fighting.”

“That’s not fencing, though. People do fencing in a straight line. With strict rules.”

“But not in war!”

“Have you ever been in a war, Dad?”

“…” Karl Eugen hesitated.

We both know the answer already, Dad. It’s not embarrassing. It’s 1994, we don’t do wars anymore. Nobody wants the Crown Princess’ husband to die on the battlefield.

“Have you ever had to use swords in a war? From what I remember, everyone uses guns these days.”

“The answer is no,” Elisabeth Alexandra said, sipping her coffee in the doorway, “No, he has not.”

“Elisa!” Karl Eugen turned red. “How long have you been there?”

“Oh, don’t mind me. I’m just watching…whatever this is.”

“Our daughter needs to learn survival skills.”

“I’m not doubting that, I’m just not sure you’re teaching the right ones.”

“You’re not backing me up here, Elisa!”

He said something about unfair fighting, right? Let’s show him a little unfairness.

Wilhelmina suddenly charged at her dad. Karl Eugen quickly noticed and raised his sword, but Wilhelmina ducked and rolled under his attack, coming up behind him. She climbed onto a machine and grabbed his mustache to immobilize him, then tapped his upper body with her sword.

“Boom, you’re dead.”

Karl Eugen laughed. “Nice job, Willie. But you have to remember to not overextend yourself.”

He simply picked up Wilhelmina and put her on the ground. For good measure, he tapped her nose. “Boop.”

He can still do that? Just like when I was 5? Am I really that light?

“Always remember to keep your enemy in mind, Willie. Know what they’re good at, and what they’re weak at. Know your own strengths, and keep in mind your weaknesses. Always make smart use of the tools at your disposal. That’s how you win.”

Wilhelmina stepped back to slow down Sophie’s attacks. She raised Enonon in a defensive stance. Sophie drew back and prepared herself. “Interesting. What’s different now?”

“Oh, nothing. I just remembered more of what Dad taught me.”

“Then show me!” Sophie charged again.

Just as I expected. She likes charging with overwhelming force. Kind of like the Heer’s standard military doctrine for the last few centuries: attack quickly and overwhelm the enemy before it can fight back. I can’t make use of that tactic myself; I’m too old and slow at this point. But I can turn it against her.

She quickly moved behind a nearby target. Sophie tried adjusting her aim, but she only managed to slam into the target, briefly stunning her.

Wonder how that works. Did she actually hit the target? Will I see any damage on the target? What if she stabbed it? She stabbed it before, right? Should I see any stab marks? No, Willie, focus! You have the advantage, now press it!

She spun around the target and quickly tapped Sophie on the back of her neck. “Boom, you’re dead.”

Well, technically, you were always dead. Or were you never alive to begin with? Oh come on, this hurts.

Sophie laughed. “Impressive. You actually got the drop on me. But you have to keep in mind—”

She suddenly slashed out, but Wilhelmina flicked her wrist. Energy swirled around her hand, and suddenly Sophie’s sword flew out of her hand and into the grass.

Always make smart use of the tools at your disposal. I should really use that more.

“Yeah, I did,” Wilhelmina said, “Thanks, Dad.”

• 3Like
Reactions:
Sword-fighting and bikes, you never forget.