The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wonder if they would be interested in picking a fight with the Meskwaki over Kanata, or would they ignore that?
I could see some tension and depending on if the Meskwaki collapses like in some games causing Kanata to try and forge better relations with Scandinavia or if they survive and form something like the Mississippi Federation like OTL's Danubian Federation there might not be a war.

I wonder how this would apply to the former Occupied Territories in both this arc and Tianxia, which in the main timeline had embraced nationalism and xenophobia in opposition to its Soviet past but also had many high profile minorities like Poles for example? It would be interesting to imagine how the Occupied Territories would turn out in the Kaiserreich timelines without Deromanization and Soviet rule.
I can see the Poles in the Lithuanian puppet state around Galicia could inspire the Poles in regions like Posen to rebel against the Hohenzollerns in Germania and weaken them further.

The rest of Eastern Europe might be more conservative.

dI see were your getting at. Here are some of my initial ideas on how the Syndicate states in Western Europe might form.

The minorities in Gaul like the Occitan's, Bretons, and Normans could rise up like how they did during the 2030's in the actual story and in TTL form the Commune of Gaul wile the Reich is busy dealing with rebellion's in other regions?

In Britain maybe the Welsh and Scottish that have not assimilated into German culture could rebel in Great Britain since in OTL's Kaiserreich British Revolution you had a Scottish Provisional Republic and the Cardiff Commune in Wales. Mabey they could unite with what ever Syndicates rise up among the Anglo-Saxons and the German settlers who arrived after the Reich was founded in 1066 to form the Union of Britain that way?

I can see Hibernia/Ireland forming its own country and remain largely conservative like in OTL's Kaiserreich.
Good idea. Agree on all points.
I wonder if they would be interested in picking a fight with the Meskwaki over Kanata, or would they ignore that?
Maybe once they take the European lands, they might look outward to crush the Meskwaki.
Without liberal leaning areas like the Middle East and Greece, I guess the idea you bought up about a post Jerusalem Reich becoming strongly conservative will be quite likely, assuming the Reich doesn't collapse outright. Either that, or we might see an even messier version of the US's party switch along regional lines, with the West becoming liberal, cosmopolitan and urban and the East becoming conservative and rural.

I wonder how this would apply to the former Occupied Territories in both this arc and Tianxia, which in the main timeline had embraced nationalism and religious traditionalism in opposition to its Soviet past but also had many high profile minorities like Poles for example? It would be interesting to imagine how the Occupied Territories would turn out in the Kaiserreich timelines without Deromanization and Soviet rule.
The ideological shift that happened in real life was only due to specific circumstances and motivations. Before the 1960s, the two major parties were both big tent alliances of many different interests, but the civil rights movement saw the Southern Strategy which led conservatives to pivot to the Republicans and give them control over the southern states, while liberals and progressives within the Republican Party left for the Democrats. This was only possible within America's two-party system, because otherwise the different interests and ideological blocs within both parties would simply have become their own parties. The Reich may have had two dominant parties in the CMU and SPR, but it was still primarily a parliamentary-inspired system with other major parties like the FMP, KRA, CSU, and HF. Something like the Southern Strategy and the resulting ideological shift would not happen with the Reich because there isn't the same political setup or ideological grouping as in the US.

What I could see in a post-Jerusalem Reich are two separate backlashes, one for each of the general population and the ruling elite. The ruling elite might try to maintain a moderate secular stance to avoid Jerusalem's far right religious fundamentalism. But the general population will have gone through years of indoctrination, purges, and suppression of left-wing movements, and even after Jerusalem they would remain deeply conservative and skeptical, fearful, or even hateful of anything left-wing. So there'd be an ideological split between a moderate political elite and a deeply conservative population.

In the main timeline, the eastern provinces are still very conservative, including minorities like the Poles. There were non-equalist labor movements in the region, but they remained weak and disorganized because most saw them as Soviet puppets (even though the Soviets also suppressed them as rival left-wing movements). In the KR timelines, without deromanization, the eastern provinces would still have larger and more populous cities full of culture and innovation, as well as stronger left-wing movements based around its industrial centers. In real life, eastern European cities like Breslau/Wroclaw, Bratislava, Lviv, and Krakow were centers of culture and had flourishing intellectual communities up to World War II, before the Nazis and Soviets both crushed them. It would be like that in the KR timelines. More progressive, forward-looking, and economically flourishing.
I could see some tension and depending on if the Meskwaki collapses like in some games causing Kanata to try and forge better relations with Scandinavia or if they survive and form something like the Mississippi Federation like OTL's Danubian Federation there might not be a war.
Either Scandinavia can take on a Meskwaki Empire which still controls Kanata, or it can wait for the Meskwaki to explode and Kanata to regain independence. It could then form an alliance with the independent Kanata...or just conquer it again.
I can see the Poles in the Lithuanian puppet state around Galicia could inspire the Poles in regions like Posen to rebel against the Hohenzollerns in Germania and weaken them further.

The rest of Eastern Europe might be more conservative.
The Poles might try to push to around the OTL Oder-Niesse line, with more nationalist regimes pushing even further, such as to Berlin itself.

Reactions:
What I could see in a post-Jerusalem Reich are two separate backlashes, one for each of the general population and the ruling elite. The ruling elite might try to maintain a moderate secular stance to avoid Jerusalem's far right religious fundamentalism. But the general population will have gone through years of indoctrination, purges, and suppression of left-wing movements, and even after Jerusalem they would remain deeply conservative and skeptical, fearful, or even hateful of anything left-wing. So there'd be an ideological split between a moderate political elite and a deeply conservative population.
That would be unfortunate. I could see some pro Jerusalem revisionist myth circulating around historiographic circles due to Jerusalem's purge of historians and brainwashing of the general population, something like the Lost Cause myth, the Clean Wehrmacht myth, pro Soviet nostalgia in Russia, and the various genocide denials you see many countries do around the world, despite the efforts of other historians to call out Jerusalem's atrocities and have the Romans learn from their mistakes to not repeat the circle of rise, stagnation and decline that's plagued the Reich for centuries. Sorry if I'm sounding really pessimistic here, I just don't see the Reich being able to truly get rid of the shadow of Jerusalem anytime soon even if the Committee falls.

Jerusalem's erasing of cultural heritage in both the Western provinces like France or Italy and the Middle East in regards to anything Jewish, Muslim, Pagan and pre Orthodox Christian is bound to have a negative social impact on those regions as well, probably similar to what happened to the Eastern Europe provinces after the Soviets suppressed their culture.

Last edited:
That would be unfortunate. I could see some pro Jerusalem revisionist myth circulating around historiographic circles due to Jerusalem's purge of historians and brainwashing of the general population, something like the Lost Cause myth, the Clean Wehrmacht myth, pro Soviet nostalgia in Russia, and the various genocide denials you see many countries do around the world, despite the efforts of other historians to call out Jerusalem's atrocities and have the Romans learn from their mistakes to not repeat the circle of rise, stagnation and decline that's plagued the Reich for centuries. Sorry if I'm sounding really pessimistic here, I just don't see the Reich being able to truly get rid of the shadow of Jerusalem anytime soon even if the Committee falls.

Jerusalem's erasing of cultural heritage in both the Western provinces like France or Italy and the Middle East in regards to anything Jewish, Muslim, Pagan and pre Christian is bound to have a negative social impact on those regions as well, probably similar to what happened to the Eastern Europe provinces after the Soviets suppressed their culture.
Something like Jerusalem can't be gotten rid of that easily.

I agree with AnguishedOne, very fantastic world building indeed, especially with the setup of Scandinavia looking to be a major contender as an emerging power in Europe, more so if the Hohenzollerns lose against the Syndicalists.

@GhostRider124 Excellent work on the Fylkirate update.
I agree with AnguishedOne, very fantastic world building indeed, especially with the setup of Scandinavia looking to be a major contender as an emerging power in Europe, more so if the Hohenzollerns lose against the Syndicalists.
Thank you both and to everyone else on the complements.

other than maybe talking more about the Pomeranian territories (German Baltic coast) under Scandinavian rule.
The more that I think about the more I am debating on weather or not to add an addendum like Zen did for the Penglai update and try and add more information on the Pomeranian territories that became part of Scandinavia due to it being home of the Jomsvikings and due to the region being home to the Hanseatic League. The only problem with this is I am more familiar with OTL's Jomsvikings and Hanseatic League and do not remember all that much about what happened to them in TTL so I might need some help filling in the lines.

Thank you both and to everyone else on the complements.

The more that I think about the more I am debating on weather or not to add an addendum like Zen did for the Penglai update and try and add more information on the Pomeranian territories that became part of Scandinavia due to it being home of the Jomsvikings and due to the region being home to the Hanseatic League. The only problem with this is I am more familiar with OTL's Jomsvikings and Hanseatic League and do not remember all that much about what happened to them in TTL so I might need some help filling in the lines.
Unfortunately I didn’t do much with the Jomsvikings after CK2. The only thing I have in my notes is that their base is still in Jomsberg, a Roman city in Pomerania. The Hanseatic League might still be a loose alliance of trade cities based in the North Sea and Baltics.

Unfortunately I didn’t do much with the Jomsvikings after CK2. The only thing I have in my notes is that their base is still in Jomsberg, a Roman city in Pomerania.
The way I see it the "modern" Jomsvikings could be one of these things.

The Jomsvikings became like many Knight Orders both in OTL and I assume in TTL in were they became humanitarian aid workers like OTL's Sovereign Military Order of Malta?

They could be to Scandinavia what the Varangian Guard was to the Second Empire and the Reich in were they protect the Imperial Family?

They could be like the Freikorps in were the modern iteration is not the actual Jomsvikings but they took inspiration from them with some of them forming the armed wing of the Ragnarokers likes OTL's SA to the Nazi Party?

They could be an early type of Private Military Corporation?

The Hanseatic League might still be a loose alliance of trade cities based in the North Sea and Baltics.
Mabey the Hanseatic League becomes similar to trade companies like the Hudson's Bay Company but instead of a retail store they become a modern Bank since I think they handled money more so than goods?

Last edited:
The Jomsvikings became like many Knight Orders both in OTL and I assume in TTL in were they became humanitarian aid workers like OTL's Sovereign Military Order of Malta?

They could be to Scandinavia what the Varangian Guard was to the Second Empire and the Reich in were they protect the Imperial Family?

They could be like the Freikorps in were the modern iteration is not the actual Jomsvikings but they took inspiration from them with some of them forming the armed wing of the Ragnarokers likes OTL's SA to the Nazi Party?
I like the first two ideas. Maybe in the main timeline the Jomsvikings would be like Christian holy orders and transition into humanitarian work, while a small number remain as royal bodyguards for the Fylkir's family. But in Tianxia they would retain more of their militaristic roots and join the Ragnarokers as their paramilitary wing.
Mabey the Hanseatic League becomes similar to trade companies like the Hudson's Bay Company but instead of a retail store they become a modern Bank since I think they handled money more so than goods?
They could also represent an evolution of the medieval trade guilds into something like a merchants' union.

Welcome to Scandinavia, Part 1

Esbjerg, West Jutland, Scandinavia - May 10

The Ocuil Acatl docked in the harbor, as did the rest of the ships in the fleet. Tugboats sailed up to the most badly damaged ships and guided them to the docks. Dock workers boarded the supply ships and began unloading cargo boxes.

“We finally made it,” Ollin said.

“We lost a lot of good people along the way,” Atoc said.

“Admiral Kirova…” Ollin said. “They took her from us too quickly.”

Ollin watched the refugees disembarking. UN and Scandinavian aid workers ushered them into large blue tents marked with the coats of arms of the UN, the Red Cross, and other humanitarian organizations.

“I was wondering,” Ollin said, “Why did they attack us?”

“At Heligoland?” Atoc said.

“I know we were in Jerusalemite waters, but for the last two years, Jerusalem had been unable to project much naval power,” Ollin said, “They’ve mostly kept to the Mediterranean, Black Sea, and the Bay of Biscay. So why did they suddenly attack us at Heligoland?”

“Heligoland is right off the coast of the Germanian heartland,” Atoc said, “As well as being close to Scandinavia. Perhaps the committee wanted to send a message to us.”

“Do you think this is related to the Autokrator’s assassination?” Ollin said.

“Probably,” Atoc said, “Maybe they wanted a target to vent their anger on. And project strength after that incident.”

“If that’s the case, I don’t want to think about what they might do next,” Ollin said.

---

Velkomin til Skandinavíu,” the intercom said, “Dobro pozhalovat' v Skandinaviyu. Skandinavt tavtai morilno uu. Sveiki atvykę į Skandinaviją. Tervetuloa Skandinaviaan. Kalós ílthate sti Skandinavía. Welcome to Scandinavia. Please be patient while we process your arrival. We are committed to reuniting you with any of your friends or family who are already in the Empire of Scandinavia…”

Clara waited patiently in line, alone. Anna, Annie, and Walter had snuck off when nobody was looking. Seems the sisters were serious about going it alone. She was happy they made it to safety, at least. Now all she had to worry about was herself.

“Next,” an aid worker said.

Clara realized she was at the head of the line now. She stepped forward. An aid worker waved her over to a chair, and she sat down.

“Okay, first, I am required to ask this for legal reasons,” the aid worker said, “If you were to return to your home country—”

“My home country is dead,” Clara said, “Jerusalem killed the Reich. It is not my home, despite what Berlin would tell you.”

“Ma’am, would you be persecuted based on your political beliefs, gender, or sexual orientation, and would you be subject to physical harm or threats on your life?”

“Yes,” Clara said, without hesitation.

“As a person in need of protection, do you wish to seek asylum in the Empire of Scandinavia?”

“Yes.”

The aid worker held out his hand. “Alright. Welcome to Scandinavia, ma’am.”

Clara didn’t shake his hand.

“Oh,” the aid worker said, “I’m sorry. It’s okay. That’s all I had for you. Could you make your way to the clinic now?”

Clara got up and walked to a tent with a Red Cross symbol on it. She sat inside. Minutes later, a doctor arrived, carrying a clipboard.

“Hello,” she said, “Can you tell me your name, please?”

“Clara,” Clara said.

“Last name?” the doctor said.

“I’d rather not say,” Clara said, “You can get it from my files anyways.”

“That’s okay,” the doctor said, “I understand you went thorugh many traumatic events over the last several years. We won’t force you. But so we can get you the proper care you need, we would appreciate it if you told us any health issues you are concerned with.”

“Well, my hearing’s been pretty screwed up,” Clara said, “Especially after that weird sonic attack in Heligoland. There was also another such attack in Bremerhaven a while ago, before they switched to just bombing and shooting us. I’m more surprised I’m not deaf. I haven’t had a proper bath in a while, so my skin’s also bad. Particularly my face. Definitely need new glasses and maybe an eye checkup. Ugh…I don’t know if anything else is wrong.”

“Don’t worry, we can do a physical checkup,” the doctor said, “If you’re okay with it.”

“Alright, alright, go ahead,” Clara said, “Do what you need to do.”

The doctor began the checkup. Clara stood on scales, measured her height, got scanned by several machines, and tried to keep herself as composed and calm through all of the tests. A sound outside drew her attention. She saw a Scandinavian soldier approaching a refugee.

“Sir, we’d like to ask you a few more questions,” he said, “Regarding the information you had on the Crusaders. You said you were made to plan their fortifications in Holstein, right?”

The man’s fists clenched, and he tensed up. The soldier raised his hands.

“My bad,” he said, “I’m friendly. I’m only here for your safety.”

For your safety. She’d heard that too many times over the last eight years.

“We are doing this for your own good.”
“We are doing this for your safety.”
“For order and stability.”

And then millions died and a dozen cities were obliterated. The man recoiled even more.

“I’m sorry,” the soldier said, “I’ll just…come back later, then.”

He walked away.

“Clara?” the doctor said. “We were going over your results?”

“Oh, right,” Clara said.

“So we looked at your ears, and they seem to be doing okay right now,” the doctor said, “Some substantial damage, but it’s not too serious right now. I think you’ll need a hearing aid. Stay away from high volume sounds. As for your eyes, they seem about normal, at least with the myopia you described. As you said, you need new glasses.”

“That’s fine,” Clara said.

“Your wounds are superficial,” the doctor said, “Some may leave scars, but the rest should heal in good time.”

“Glad to hear that,” Clara said.

“Blood work checks out,” the doctor said, “Aside from some high cholesterol. It’s high for a woman your age.”

“Is that bad?” Clara said.

“Should be manageable with diet and exercise,” the doctor said.

“Anything else?” Clara said.

“You’re headed to Oslo, right?” the doctor said.

“Yeah,” Clara said.

The doctor handed her some business cards. “I strongly suggest following up your hearing and cholesterol issues at these clinics in Oslo. Highly recommend. Also threw in a therapist’s contact information. She does a lot of work with refugees.”

“Okay,” Clara said, “Is that all?”

“Yep,” the doctor said.

Oslo - May 13

“Now arriving at Oslo East Station,” the PA announced, “Oslo Ø, now arriving.”

The train pulled into the station and slowly rolled to a stop. Clara braced herself when the train finally lurched to a halt, but she stumbled a little.

“Damnit,” she said.

The doors slid open, and passengers began disembarking. Clara looked at her ticket, making sure it was the right station. Then again, there were no further stops, so was it really necessary? She slowly got off and stepped onto the platform, feeling the smooth concrete under her feet. She stayed in place, her strained ears struggling to keep up with the train whistles mixing with the sounds of dozens of conversations and PAs. It was a little overwhelming, really. Last time she remembered being in a place with so many people was in Berlin, several years ago. The subways were packed back then, even after Bloody Tuesday. People just wanted to get to work, even if the world was falling apart. Come to think of it, the crowds began thinning as more and more of the Nullification Acts were decreed, until she herself was removed from them.

A passenger’s suitcase bumped into her, and she instantly reached for the gun at her side, only to find she no longer had a gun. The passenger stepped back in surprise.

“Oh, I’m sorry, ma’am!” he said. “I’m in a bit of a hurry.”

“I should be apologizing,” Clara said, “I’ve been on edge for a while.”

“Aren’t we all?” the passenger said, laughing nervously.

Clara tried laughing, but she couldn’t before the passenger disappeared into the teeming crowds. Guess she should get going as well. She wasn’t used to these crowds. The commutes of Berlin were many years ago. By comparison, Bremerhaven was just an empty shell she and some others had taken shelter in but never truly lived in. And all of the languages and dialects she heard here were something she hadn’t heard in years. Even among the Norse she heard, there was, standard Norse, Eimerican-influenced Kanatan Norse, the Kanatan-influenced western Norse in the western mountains and on the coast, the Russian- and Finnish-inspired central Norse of the central plains, and the more German-sounding southern Norse in Denmark. But she also heard various Eimerican languages, Nahuatl, Russian, Mongol, Finnish, Polish, Lithuanian, and some German. The German was most suspicious. She found her hand reaching for her nonexistent gun again. What if they were Crusader spies? What if some of the refugees were Jerusalem plants? What if they were here to take her back, just when she had finally arrived? She couldn’t let that happen. She had to fight back. No, she was free now, and she would die before she went—

“Clara?”

She heard her name uttered very clearly amid the commotion of the crowds. No, that had to be a trick of the mind. There was no way she was hearing that. Or maybe it was some other Clara—

“Clara, is that you?”

A woman’s voice. Kiel accent with Berlin influences. Her name said in a certain way, a way only one other person used to refer to her. She wasn’t hallucinating. Clara slowly turned around and saw a familiar woman standing by the exit.

“Sylv?” she said.

Sylvia smiled. “Hi, Clara.”

In that moment, all of the defensive barriers Clara threw up came down, like the Berlin Wall crashing down in 1986. Tears welled up in her eyes, and before she realized it, her legs were already in motion, and she had flung herself into Sylvia’s arms, hugging and kissing her with a joy she hadn’t felt in so long.

“I see you got a haircut,” Sylvia said.

“Yeah, it’s a long story,” Clara said. “I missed you so much!”

“I did too,” Sylvia said, “But we’re here now.”

“I’m never leaving your side again,” Clara said, “Never, ever.”

The two of them laughed and cried and remained in each other’s arms. People passing by were now giving them strange looks, but Clara didn’t care. She had tuned out the rest of the world. She just wanted this moment to last forever.

---

This is the last we’ll hear of Anna, Annie, and Walter. Their arcs are finished and I don’t know what else to do with them other than kill them off.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Such a lovely reunion between Clara and Sylvia. And I‘ll take this exit for Annie, Walter and Anna over them dying, although it’s still a shame we won’t see them again. Happy they all made it to Scandinavia, even if the Ragnorker led government is currently bending the knee to the Committee. At least they accept refugees and are pro immigration, so there’s that.

That said, Ollin is right to be be concerned. If Jerusalem starts flexing its power outside its border, then any country on Jerusalem’s bad side is doomed.

The growing disillusionment in the Reich, while understandable, does raise a lot of questions about its future should Jerusalem fall. Questions Wilhelmina will have to tackle should she become Kaiserin, assuming people will trust any monarch in the future which is doubtful.

Such a lovely reunion between Clara and Sylvia. And I‘ll take this exit for Annie, Walter and Anna over them dying, although it’s still a shame we won’t see them again. Happy they all made it to Scandinavia, even if the Ragnorker led government is currently bending the knee to the Committee. At least they accept refugees and are pro immigration, so there’s that.

currently bending the knee

Finnson's not going to like what went down at Heligoland.
That said, Ollin is right to be be concerned. If Jerusalem starts flexing its power outside its border, then any country on Jerusalem’s bad side is doomed.
"Our words are backed by nuclear weapons"
The growing disillusionment in the Reich, while understandable, does raise a lot of questions about its future should Jerusalem fall. Questions Wilhelmina will have to tackle should she become Kaiserin, assuming people will trust any monarch in the future which is doubtful.
Growing? It's been there for years by now.

After a lot of misery, Clara and Sylvia getting a good end is nice.

As for Anna, Annie, and Walter, after all they and their family has been through, disappearing off the grid and spending the rest of their days comfortably in ambiguity seems appropriate to me.

After a lot of misery, Clara and Sylvia getting a good end is nice.

As for Anna, Annie, and Walter, after all they and their family has been through, disappearing off the grid and spending the rest of their days comfortably in ambiguity seems appropriate to me.
A ray of hope to at least briefly lift the darkness.

And with the elder Humboldt generations’ disappearance, the story of the Humboldts finally comes to a close.

Reactions:
I agree with @CaptainAlvious and @TheAnguishedOne in that I am very glad that out of all the doom and gloom we got a happy moment with Clara and Sylvia (if memory serves they have a son don't they?). Now I am just wondering what thousand or so bad things are going to happen to bring us all down again. But I think that is the point in this arc in that despite all the doom and gloom there are specks of hope.

As for Anna, Annie, and Walter, I can see them going to the Eimerica Federation and go out to like the Great Plaines region of what would be OTL USA and live out the rest of their lives in isolation there. It is kind of sad that their arch is ending but the show must go on.

I agree with @CaptainAlvious and @TheAnguishedOne in that I am very glad that out of all the doom and gloom we got a happy moment with Clara and Sylvia (if memory serves they have a son don't they?). Now I am just wondering what thousand or so bad things are going to happen to bring us all down again. But I think that is the point in this arc in that despite all the doom and gloom there are specks of hope.

As for Anna, Annie, and Walter, I can see them going to the Eimerica Federation and go out to like the Great Plaines region of what would be OTL USA and live out the rest of their lives in isolation there. It is kind of sad that their arch is ending but the show must go on.
Yes, Clara and Sylvia have a son.

Their torch will be taken up by the new generation. Just as Walter and his kids took the torch from Robert Bischoff and Conrad Humboldt, now it's all up to Alex to begin a new story.

I don’t know what else to do with them other than kill them off

The Reich's sort of half-finished cultural assimilation means some of their subjects might not be able to imagine belonging to a nation that isn't "Roman"/"Jerusalemite". Especially after the Committee's purges. Some peoples like the French still have their own cultures and separatism, but a defeated Jerusalem might end up being divided into somewhat arbitary smaller nations for the sake of keeping the successor states weak.

The Reich's sort of half-finished cultural assimilation means some of their subjects might not be able to imagine belonging to a nation that isn't "Roman"/"Jerusalemite". Especially after the Committee's purges. Some peoples like the French still have their own cultures and separatism, but a defeated Jerusalem might end up being divided into somewhat arbitary smaller nations for the sake of keeping the successor states weak.
I can see the state that succeeds Jerusalem give minorities like the French, Irish, Polish, and others their own nations (similar to what the Soviets did in TTL) with most German Romans being concentrated into Germany Proper like after OTL's WWII (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_and_expulsion_of_Germans_(1944–1950)) with the government of the Reich itself being similar to OTL's European Union in were you have a lose confederation of states that despite having a common currency and monarchy like OTL's Britain in were the crown is a figurehead. They would however all have their own militaries and international diplomacy along with the ability to leave the Reich if they so wish.

I can see this new nation being called the European Confederation with Germany itself being called the Romisches Reich while the other members being France, Poland, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I can see the state that succeeds Jerusalem give minorities like the French, Irish, Polish, and others their own nations (similar to what the Soviets did in TTL) with most German Romans being concentrated into Germany Proper like after OTL's WWII (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_and_expulsion_of_Germans_(1944–1950)) with the government of the Reich itself being similar to OTL's European Union in were you have a lose confederation of states that despite having a common currency and monarchy like OTL's Britain in were the crown is a figurehead. They would however all have their own militaries and international diplomacy along with the ability to leave the Reich if they so wish.

I can see this new nation being called the European Confederation with Germany itself being called the Romisches Reich while the other members being France, Poland, etc, etc.
I could see that, with some ethnoreligious groups like French, Andalusian Norse and Middle Eastern Jews and Muslims splitting off the Reich and the rest forming a loose confederation like the European Union or the early US under the Articles of Confederation. Alternatively (spoilers for the Handmaid's Tale below)…
It could end like the Handmaid's Tale, where the US wasn't restored after Gilead fell but was instead replaced by multiple post US republics independent from each other.
Either way, with how much the younger generations have been radicalized by the Committee, I fear there will be a lot of Jerusalem sympathizers who won't accept any new regime and will want to return to the supposed "golden age" of Jerusalem. I could even see them coming up with something similar to the Lost Cause myth or Communist nostalgia in former Soviet/Warsaw Pact countries in OTL to justify the Committee's actions and make them appear more sympathetic in the historical record.

Last edited: