The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, seeing this stage of Tabula Rasa in action was depressing, especially the fates of the Kaaba and Medina’s Grand Mosque which hit me on a personal level. Romanitas may well and truly dead, I suspect those that had their cultural heritage destroyed would be forever disillusioned at the idea of Romanitas, no matter how much the regime that follows Jerusalem apologies for its crimes, as such things are unforgivable. Worse thing is that this can probably get worse, considering that Tabula Rasa is being carried out from the bottom up in addition to the top down.

I wasn‘t expecting Kurt to be killed here. Guess that’s an example of how the in group in facist regimes gets smaller and smaller until it disappears.

To think Josh falsely accused Oskar of pedophila all those years ago, only for Josh to end up an actual pedophile himself. I really hope Kuhlan slits Josh’s throat in his sleep.

Quite like the idea of Wilhelmina with glasses, at her age I suspect she looks like LOK’s Izumi now. I can see Izumi being Wilhelmina‘s favorite character from Avatar at this point.

Rebels taking Mauritania, now that’s a hopeful note. Can’t wait to see what other territories can be liberated from Jerusalem.
Yes, that was his main influence, but some Putin elements went to him too.
Could he also have similarities to Alexander Lukashenko too, or is Penglai’s relationship to Han’s China completely different from the Belarus/Russian relationship?

Last edited:
Bad luck, if Kurt had gotten Khulan then both of them may well have been safe a little longer.

As for all the destruction... that's a wound that may never heal.

Well, seeing this stage of Tabula Rasa in action was depressing, especially the fates of the Kaaba and Medina’s Grand Mosque which hit me on a personal level. Romanitas may well and truly dead, I suspect those that had their cultural heritage destroyed would be forever disillusioned at the idea of Romanitas, no matter how much the regime that follows Jerusalem apologies for its crimes, as such things are unforgivable. Worse thing is that this can probably get worse, considering that Tabula Rasa is being carried out from the bottom up in addition to the top down.
You know what the worst thing is? The people cheered for this. Nobody spoke out against the destruction at any level. They all went with it not because they were scared, but because they believed this was the right thing to do. Romanitas is dead, and the Roman people gladly killed it. Even if the committee falls, minorities will not forget what they did. I'm pretty sure interethnic and intercultural ties may never recover. Some things you can't just sweep away under the rug, no matter how many apologies you give.
I wasn‘t expecting Kurt to be killed here. Guess that’s an example of how the in group in facist regimes gets smaller and smaller until it disappears.
The culmination of the vulture mentality. Eventually some vultures will have to be eaten once all of the roadkill is gone.
To think Josh falsely accused Oskar of pedophila all those years ago, only for Josh to end up an actual pedophile himself. I really hope Kuhlan slits Josh’s throat in his sleep.
That would be too convenient for him. And us.
Quite like the idea of Wilhelmina with glasses, at her age I suspect she looks like LOK’s Izumi now. I can see Izumi being Wilhelmina‘s favorite character from Avatar at this point.
Could be possible. Izumi's background and character arc would be very appealing to her.
Rebels taking Mauritania, now that’s a hopeful note. Can’t wait to see what other territories can be liberated from Jerusalem.
Let's be hopeful.
Could he also have similarities to Alexander Lukashenko too, or is Penglai’s relationship to Han’s China completely different from the Belarus/Russian relationship?
I didn't do research that included Lukashenko, so no. The Han/Zhao dynamic is completely original.
Bad luck, if Kurt had gotten Khulan then both of them may well have been safe a little longer.
We can't always have nice things in life.
As for all the destruction... that's a wound that may never heal.
who said anything about healing it?

That would be too convenient for him. And us.
I have a feeling that Zen might do that but have it in were Josh is able to fight her off and she ends up like Jenna.

Man reading all these systematic destructions of cultural sites going back to ancient history as well as those what I think are child brides are truly disheartening, surely it can't get any worse than this-

ome random bar in Lübeck called the Bottomless Tankard. Kind of a letdown.
YOU MANIACS, YOU FRAKKED IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Jokes aside, goddamn it even the Bottomless Tankard too? Goddamnit all, as if reading about the Romanitas statue getting destroyed for real this time was something I can't stomach (especially after watching the Statue of Liberty getting blown up in the MITHC show). Yeah you weren't kidding when you said Rome will never recover from this, hell I don't think the very idea of Rome will ever recover from this. Doesn't help that Christianity will be considered hostile when (hopefully) the Committee is finally toppled.

The Romans from ages past, pagan or Christian they maybe are certainly weeping in the afterlife because of this spectacle. Everything leading up to this has been the Roman spirit slowly witling away before finally dying under the boots of zealotry and ultranationalism. God save this nation of blind fools, for nobody else can.

Also, rather interesting that the pyramids and the sphinx aren't outright destroyed here, me thinks some ancient human tech in the works eh? Probably the only consolation I have after reading this chapter, those things will outlast Jerusalem, God willing.

Last edited:
You know what the worst thing is? The people cheered for this. Nobody spoke out against the destruction at any level. They all went with it not because they were scared, but because they believed this was the right thing to do. Romanitas is dead, and the Roman people gladly killed it. Even if the committee falls, minorities will not forget what they did. I'm pretty sure interethnic and intercultural ties may never recover. Some things you can't just sweep away under the rug, no matter how many apologies you give.
The Romans from ages past, pagan or Christian they maybe are certainly weeping in the afterlife because of this spectacle. Everything leading up to this has been the Roman spirit slowly witling away before finally dying under the boots of zealotry and ultranationalism. God save this nation of blind fools, for nobody else can.
I’m reminded of what Zemo said in OTL Captain America: Civil War, “An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again, but one that crumbles from within? That’s dead, forever.” Should Jerusalem fall, it may be difficult to restore the Reich, if not impossible. Some may think the Reich shouldn’t be restored at all or should be replaced with something new, like a decentralized federation under a republic or constitutional monarchy for example. I can see some of the rebels, particularly separatists, refuse to stand down even after the Committee falls. The longer Jerusalem lasts, the more chaotic its potential fall would be, until you eventually have societal collapse that would make the Bronze Age collapse and fall of the First Roman Empire look like a joke.

What ever happens after Jerusalem falls is ultimately up to you and how you want the story to progress, as it’s your AAR after all, but I do wonder what this AAR would be called if the Reich was to be replaced with a second Roman Republic? Maybe “SPQR: Res Publica Phoenix- A Roman Republic megacampaign ” or something like that?
I have a feeling that Zen might do that but have it in were Josh is able to fight her off and she ends up like Jenna.
Alternatively she could successfully kill Josh, only to be executed moments later.

Last edited:
Especially since she's just a teenager and he's a 10+ year veteran who's highly trained in combat.
Man reading all these systematic destructions of cultural sites going back to ancient history as well as those what I think are child brides are truly disheartening, surely it can't get any worse than this-
You are thinking right. Jerusalem really went that far.
YOU MANIACS, YOU FRAKKED IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!
Reinhard is spinning in his grave.
Jokes aside, goddamn it even the Bottomless Tankard too? Goddamnit all, as if reading about the Romanitas statue getting destroyed for real this time was something I can't stomach (especially after watching the Statue of Liberty getting blown up in the MITHC show). Yeah you weren't kidding when you said Rome will never recover from this, hell I don't think the very idea of Rome will ever recover from this. Doesn't help that Christianity will be considered hostile when (hopefully) the Committee is finally toppled.
Elias wanted to be extra thorough.

Beethoven himself may never recover too. The committee has embraced his music and incorporated it into its propaganda, as seen in this update. Ode to Joy was once a symbol of reunification and triumph over equalism in the Cold War and World War III. Beethoven once wrote about humanism and egalitarianism. But now all his legacy might amount to is ultranationalist historical revisionism and genocide.
The Roman spirit didn't wilt as much as it bent over backwards and eagerly embraced totalitarianism as its new defining value, completely discarding everything that came before.

I don't think even God can save the Romans now. He should be focusing his efforts on the rest of the world.
Also, rather interesting that the pyramids and the sphinx aren't outright destroyed here, me thinks some ancient human tech in the works eh? Probably the only consolation I have after reading this chapter, those things will outlast Jerusalem, God willing.
Nah, the pyramids were just too big to be destroyed in a few hits, and the committee didn't want to waste more ammo on them. They simply had bad aim for the Sphinx because they focused on (badly) destroying the pyramids.

Despite the Arabia Gruber arc, I want to keep ancient humans/aliens away from ancient monuments like the pyramids as much as possible. Attributing some or all of the construction of ruins and monuments to ancient humans/aliens does a disservice to their actual builders and plays into racial and nationalistic talking points. As for the pyramids themselves, I'm invoking Worm shenanigans so the stuff there might not exist. I did say the Worm inserts anomalous stuff into the historical record.
I’m reminded of what Zemo said in OTL Captain America: Civil War, “An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again, but one that crumbles from within? That’s dead, forever.” Should Jerusalem fall, it may be difficult to restore the Reich, if not impossible. Some may think the Reich shouldn’t be restored at all or should be replaced with something new, like a decentralized federation under a republic or consistutional monarchy for example. I can see some of the rebels, particularly separatists, refuse to stand down even after the Committee falls. The longer Jerusalem lasts, the more chaotic its potential fall would be, until you eventually have social collapse that would make the Bronze Age collapse and fall of the First Roman Empire look like a joke.
It's like how early on the United States had a united front against Gilead, but as the years passed, it fragmented into different factions like the Republic of Texas, until ultimately
when Gilead fell, it was replaced by several post-US democracies.

If the committee falls, everybody's going to have a long discussion on what the Reich really stood for, if it was worth fighting for, and if it should come back. And after what Wilhelm Karl pulled, would they really trust Wilhelmina or her son to do any better?

But if it doesn't fall, the longer the committee lasts, the greater its stranglehold on the world economy becomes. If it can do what it can right now, imagine the clout it can gain in ten years, and then twenty. Imagine the chaos if it then collapses.
Alternatively she could successfully kill Josh, only to be executed moments later.
I doubt a malnourished, imprisoned, and probably tortured teenage girl could take out a trained soldier who took out three members of X-Division, including the daughter of Anne Frank, let alone someone who could easily be warned by his Panopticon and then be told the most efficient way to kill her.

Beethoven himself may never recover too. The committee has embraced his music and incorporated it into its propaganda, as seen in this update. Ode to Joy was once a symbol of reunification and triumph over equalism in the Cold War and World War III. Beethoven once wrote about humanism and egalitarianism. But now all his legacy might amount to is ultranationalist historical revisionism and genocide.
So like Nietzsche and Wagner after the Nazi regime.
It's like how early on the United States had a united front against Gilead, but as the years passed, it fragmented into different factions like the Republic of Texas, until ultimately
when Gilead fell, it was replaced by several post-US democracies.
If the committee falls, everybody's going to have a long discussion on what the Reich really stood for, if it was worth fighting for, and if it should come back. And after what Wilhelm Karl pulled, would they really trust Wilhelmina or her son to do any better?

But if it doesn't fall, the longer the committee lasts, the greater its stranglehold on the world economy becomes. If it can do what it can right now, imagine the clout it can gain in ten years, and then twenty. Imagine the chaos if it then collapses
A Jerusalem that lasts for decades would be pretty terrible. After a certain point, the Committee may be the only thing that people l remember about the Reich, which definitely doesn’t bode well for the odds of it being restored after Jerusalem falls. So the Committee making clear that the establishment of Jerusalem would be end of the Reich may stick. In a way, the Romans themselves may have ended up completing Molotov’s deromanization project in a more successfuly than the Soviets ever dreamed of.

If the role the Roman people had in the Committee’s rise is any indication, I can easily see people welcoming the Worm and Terrans and inter dimensional liberators by the time we get to Stellaris. Actually, with how much cultural heritage the Committee has destroyed, that may end up making it easier for people to start embracing the Worm as a new god to fill vacuum that traditional religions left behind after Jerusalem discredited them, especially if the Loop Temple on Mars is discovred by archeologists and made open to the public in Stellaris. So in a way, the Worm may have been correct about the Reich being destroyed and the Hohenzollerns being overthrown eventually, it just never said anything about being involved in it.

There‘s one more question I added to my last post about what this AAR may be called if a non Hohenzollern regime comes after the Committee that you missed, so I’ll quote it here.
What ever happens after Jerusalem falls is ultimately up to you and how you want the story to progress, as it’s your AAR after all, but I do wonder what this AAR would be called if the Reich was to be replaced with a second Roman Republic? Maybe “SPQR: Res Publica Phoenix- A Roman Republic megacampaign ” or something like that?

Last edited:
So like Nietzsche and Wagner after the Nazi regime.
Yep.
A Jerusalem that lasts for decades would be pretty terrible. After a certain point, the Committee may be the only thing that people l remember about the Reich, which definitely doesn’t bode well for the odds of it being restored after Jerusalem falls. So the Committee making clear that the establishment of Jerusalem would be end of the Reich may stick. In a way, the Romans themselves may have ended up completing Molotov’s deromanization project in a more successfuly than the Soviets ever dreamed of.
Molotov was onto something when he said the only way to successfully defeat the Reich was from the inside. But he forgot that he himself was still an outside invader.
If the role the Roman people had in the Committee’s rise is any indication, I can easily see people welcoming the Worm and Terrans and inter dimensional liberators by the time we get to Stellaris. Actually, with how much cultural heritage the Committee has destroyed, that may end up making it easier for people to start embracing the Worm as a new god to fill vacuum that traditional religions left behind after Jerusalem discredited them, especially if the Loop Temple on Mars is discovred by archeologists and made open to the public in Stellaris. So in a way, the Worm may have been correct about the Reich being destroyed and the Hohenzollerns being overthrown eventually, it just never said anything about being involved in it.
Perhaps.
There‘s one more question I added to my last post about what this AAR may be called if a non Hohenzollern regime comes after the Committee that you missed, so I’ll quote it here.
I floated around a couple ideas, but the one I liked the most was "The Hohenzollern Legacy," reflecting the centuries-long legacy the Hohenzollerns left on the country even if they no longer run it.

I floated around a couple ideas, but the one I liked the most was "The Hohenzollern Legacy," reflecting the centuries-long legacy the Hohenzollerns left on the country even if they no longer run it.
Another path besides a republic could be something like OTL's United Kingdom in were you still have the Hohenzollerns with Wilhelmina and later her son as monarch but just in a figurehead/cultural role and having no real power.

Another path besides a republic could be something like OTL's United Kingdom in were you still have the Hohenzollerns with Wilhelmina and later her son as monarch but just in a figurehead/cultural role and having no real power.
To go further with that, I can see the Reich becoming a decentralized federation to the point where its constitute parts are basically autonomous countries under a central government with little power regardless if it’s a republic or monarchy. Basically like how the early US was decentrealizes to the point that “these United States” was a more apporpite phase to describe it than “the United States” we have used since the Civil War. Either that the Reich dissolves peacefully or violently, with all the provinces going their seperate ways like Tianxia. I can still see some areas like Africa breaking away even after post Committee scenarios where the Reich remains intact.

I like that name quite a lot, it may even fit in a situation where the Hohenzollerns remain as symbolic figureheads.

To go further with that, I can see the Reich becoming a decentralized federation to the point where its constitute parts are basically autonomous countries under a central government with little power regardless if it’s a republic or monarchy. Basically like how the early US was decentrealizes to the point that “these United States” was a more apporpite phase to describe it than “the United States” we have used since the Civil War. Either that the Reich dissolves peacefully or violently, with all the provinces going their seperate ways like Tianxia. I can still see some areas like Africa breaking away even after post Committee scenarios where the Reich remains intact.

I like that name quite a lot, it may even fit in a situation where the Hohenzollerns remain as symbolic figureheads.
If I remember from the US history classes I have taken both in school, Collage and in University when the US was under the Articles of Confederation that term “these United States” was how the country was described. I also believe under the Articles that the federal government was not even allowed to raise taxes or an army and had to rely on the states for taxation and the state militias for defence. So maybe something similar could happen here?

Could be another possibility, but I imagine republicanism would finally become a major movement after being 200 years overdue.

Africa definitely would want out even at this point.
If I remember from the US history classes I have taken both in school, Collage and in University when the US was under the Articles of Confederation that term “these United States” was how the country was described. I also believe under the Articles that the federal government was not even allowed to raise taxes or an army and had to rely on the states for taxation and the state militias for defence. So maybe something similar could happen here?
It was also more common to say "the United States are" instead of "the United States is" even up to World War I I think. The Articles of Confederation gave a lot of power to the states and little to the federal government, which led to a lot of major rebellions like Shay's Rebellion that spurred further centralization and the passing of the Constitution. Wouldn't be impossible for the Reich to decentralize even further to avoid another committee.

Proportionate Retribution

Berlin - December 15

“Okay, we’re all here,” Elias said, “Heinrich, begin the briefing.”

“Right,” Heinrich said, “So as you know, in the evening of November 9, rebel forces from the Sudafrika, Loango, and Westafrika factions launched a major offensive into northern Mauretania, most likely in response to our stunt that day. Our defenses were not expecting an attack of this scale and were overwhelmed.”

That and he had “reassigned” some Crusader divisions to other fronts.

His slideshow put up a map of Mauretania and Hispania. Jerusalemite territory was colored in the usual purple, while rebel territory was labeled in orange for convenience. This slide showed the situation prior to November 9, with scattered rebel strongholds across southern Mauretania and a single rebel stronghold in Gibraltar. He flipped to the next slide, which showed the orange territory consolidate and expand north and eastward, now encompassing a majority of Mauretania.

“On November 10, they seized Casablanca.”

On the next slide, the orange had almost completely engulfed Mauretania, with some small pockets of orange in Hispania.

“On the 11th, they took Tangier, began relieving Gibraltar, and established other footholds on the southern Hispanian coast.”

On the next slide, there were now large pockets of orange in southern Hispania.

“This is the situation as of last week. Rebel forces have broken into the interior, firmly securing Gibraltar and Malaga. We believe their immediate objective is Cordoba.”

“This is a disaster,” Josiah said, “Our Crusaders were equipped only for rebel suppression. Not a full-scale invasion.”

“They want to repeat 1943,” Theodor said, “We must not let them.”

“Agreed,” Josiah said, “If Hispania falls, then Gallia is exposed. And if Gallia falls…”

“We lose,” Elias said, “We must cut off the head of the snake here and now.”

“What do you suggest?” Josiah said.

“I recommend a targeted strategic bombing campaign,” Heinrich said, “They are dependent on airlifts and naval convoys from Mauretania and further south in Westafrika and Loango. We cut those supply lines, they will run out of ammunition and fuel, and the operation willl collapse.”

“Yeah, you can do that, but that’s not going to solve the problem,” Elias said.

“What do you mean?” Heinrich said.

“As long as they have the will to fight, they will fight,” Elias said, “This was what happened in Mexico thirty years ago. We can cut off and destroy their forces in Hispania, but they will inevitably mount another offensive from Mauretania.”

“So we destroy their forces in Mauretania as well,” Theodor said.

“No, they’ll just mount another offensive into Mauretania from Africa,” Josiah said, “And we do not have the resources and manpower to take out the entirety of Africa.”

“Exactly,” Elias said, “Becase they still have the will to fight. We must break that will. Permanently.”

“And how would you suggest we do that?” Heinrich said.

“They are so focused on Cordoba, aren’t they?” Theodor said. “I say we wipe it off the map with several SVI attacks.”

“Most SVI satellites are recharging from our Tabula Rasa operations or still need to be reloaded with tungsten rounds,” Josiah said, “Or they aren’t in position.”

“So we can’t use SVI?” Theodor said.

“No,” Josiah said.

“Then we’ll do things the old-fashioned way,” Elias said, “Drop some nukes. Glass them.”

“YES!” Theodor said, pumping his fists. “FINALLY!”

“Elias, are you sure?” Heinrich said. “The last time we brought this up, you disagreed, saying we needed to keep local infrastructure intact.”

“Well, the situation has changed,” Elias said, “Right now, it’s either we sacrifice a few cities, or we lose all of Hispania and Gallia and possibly everything else. The destroyed infrastructure wil also hamper their supply lines, like you wanted, and send a strong message to any other rebels.”

“But they’re nukes!” Heinrich said. “Why would we use them on our own people? Irradiate our own land? After everything we’ve said about environmental responsibility!”

“It’s a trade off we’ll have to make,” Elias said, “We all must be prepared to make sacrifices for the glory of the Lord Almighty and His Kingdom. God rewards the penitent, after all.”

Josiah and Moria said nothing. Theodor was grinning madly. Heinrich turned to Wilhelm Karl, who sat quietly at the head of the table.

“Sir, please tell me you’re not onboard with this,” he said.

Wilhelm Karl looked down and shook his head. “I’m sorry. I have no choice.”

Heinrich figured as much. They should’ve worked faster to neutralize the blackmail.

“Why don’t we just stop talking about this and start nuking?” Theodor said. “Questions like these are just so lame. Let’s just get right to the point.”

“Agreed,” Elias said.

A Crusader walked over and handed Wilhelm Karl a metal briefcase. Wilhelm Karl placed his thumb on the fingerprint scanner, unlocking the nuclear football. The briefcase opened, revealing a military computer inside. The computer booted up and showed a map of the world, which Wilhelm Karl zoomed in to focus on Europe. He handed the computer to Elias, who pushed it across the table to Heinrich.

“You’re Megas Domestikos,” Elias said, “You should give the order.”

“Uh...what target should I select?” Heinrich said.

Please don’t be too many…Wilhelm Karl, please just give the name of some random ghost town...

“Carthage, Baghdad, Gibraltar, Tangier, Casablanca, and Cordoba,” Elias said, “As a warning.”

Six cities?! A WARNING?!

“Elias, I strongly suggest we just target Gibraltar and Tangier as the primary supply line hubs,” Heinrich said, “We don’t need the others—”

“Of course we need the others!” Elias said. “We need to show these rebels we are serious about this war! That we are men, we support our troops, and we will do whatever is necessary to defend Christendom! Unless you consider yourself a traitor…”

If Elias was suspecting his loyalties...

“No, no, I was merely suggesting an alternative viewpoint,” Heinrich said.

“And I’m giving you my viewpoint,” Elias said, “Now give the order.”

Heinrich slowly selected the cities on the map and hit the confirm button, trying to stall as long as he could, but nobody stopped him. A compartment opened up, revealing two keyholes. Elias took out one key and inserted it. Wilhelm Karl walked over and slowly inserted the other key. They turned the keys at the same time, and a red button lit up. Elias looked at Heinrich.

“Well?” he said.

Heinrich sighed. He slowly pushed the button. Hopefully it had malfunctioned. It happened for Varennikov back in the 1980s, so why shouldn’t it happen for him as well?

Order issued

Salerno silo: order acknowledged

Batumi silo: order acknowledged

Salamanca silo: order acknowledged

Badajoz silo: order acknowledged

Valladolid silo: order acknowledged

Nantes silo: order acknowledged

Salerno silo: missile away

Batumi silo: missile away

Salamanca silo: missile away

Badajoz silo: missile away

Valladolid silo: missile away

Nantes silo: missile away

Salerno: warhead armed

Batumi: warhead armed

Salamanca silo: warhead armed

Badajoz silo: warhead armed

Valladolid silo: warhead armed

Nantes silo: warhead armed

Confirmed detonation: Carthage

Confirmed detonation: Baghdad

Confirmed detonation: Gibraltar

Confirmed detonation: Tangier

Confirmed detonation: Casablanca

Confirmed detonation: Cordoba

Destruction of targets confirmed

Missiles detonated: 6/6

Awaiting further orders

Then again, it only happened for Varennikov because Molotov sabotaged the system. Heinrich instantly shut down the computer and shut the briefcase, looking down in shame. He had failed, hadn’t he?

“My God, what have we done?” he said.

“We’ve won the war,” Elias said, “Thanks to you. Be proud of yourself.”

“That’s it?” Theodor said. “Just a few button presses? I was hoping at least for a live feed of some equalists burning in hellfire…”

Kiev - December 16

“…still receiving updates on the unfolding situation in Hispania and Mauretania…”

“…number of casualties remains unknown but is estimated to be at least 7 million…”

“…committee insists this is proportionate retribution and a justified response…”

“…demands the surrender of all rebel forces within a week, or Christmas Eve will see a second such attack…”

At least ten TV screens had been set up around their impromptu command center. Wilhelmina, Izinchi, Kresge, and Gebhard each watched two screens at a time, jotting down important notes and updates on the recent attack.

“Such barbarity,” Izinchi said, “I’ve fought for years to disarm the Reich of nukes. Never would I have thought we’d instead use them on our own citizens.”

“Do their military leaders not have any shame?” Gebhard said. “They gave the order. Why did they go through with it? I would have refused the order and accepted punishment. Did they not see the smoldering ruins of the cities they destroyed?”

“Over seven million dead…” Wilhelmina said. “How could they do this to their own people?”

“I don’t think they consider those dead their people now,” Kresge said.

“What do we do?” Gebhard said.

“I didn’t expect them to do this,” Izinchi said, “I don’t know how to respond to this.”

“You have some experience with this right?” Kresge said.

“Not exactly,” Gebhard said, “World War III wasn’t exactly my fight.”

They all looked at Wilhelmina.

“We’re not surrendering,” she said, “We leave the fight now, it’s all over.”

“They said they’ll nuke more cities,” Kresge said.

“I think that was addressed to the rebel groups,” Wilhelmina said.

“Depends on if they consider us a rebel group as well,” Gebhard said.

“Well, they can’t do a thing about us,” Wilhelmina said, “I’m flying to Gunnolfsfell to speak to the UN again. Draw more international attention to Jerusalem.”

“As if the eyes of the world weren’t already on them,” Kresge said.

“We can’t just sit idly by while Jerusalem nukes our people without a care in the world,” Wilhelmina said.

Bremerhaven - December 17

“No! We need to take the fight to them!”

“Take the nearby cities and spread our forces out!”

“Retreat to the suburbs and the countryside!”

“They can’t nuke us all at once!”

“We should just take the offer and give up!”

“The city and its people must come first!”

The conference call was in complete uproar. Rebel commanders were shouting over each other, trying to get their points across or silence their opponents. As a result, Angelica couldn’t follow anything being said.

“Calm down!” Julian said.

A few heard him and stopped talking, but the rest continued shouting. Julian shook his head.

“How did you do this, Eva?” he said.

After about four years, Eva had finally returned to city hall to help Julian. Angelica had hoped she would return sooner, but with the state of the hospital’s technology and the lack of doctors, her condition took much longer than usual to improve, and the blocks around the hospital had been very dangerous for travel. But now the neighborhood had stabilized enough for her to join them.

“Let me speak,” Eva said.

Julian handed the headphones to Eva. She took a deep breath.

“ALL OF YOU SHUT THE FRAK UP!” she shouted.

Everybody immediately shut up.

“I can’t believe you all!” Eva said. “Squabbling like kids in a time like this?! We need to work together and find a way out of this mess!”

“The problem is we can’t agree!” said Natasha Jacobi, the leader of the cells in the east.

“We need to keep fighting!” said Julian Marks, the leader of the Nordenham cells.

“No, the gig is up!” Natasha said. “They’re willing to nuke us, and we all know a nuke would obliterate us! Maybe we should retreat to the countryside. They can’t nuke the city if we’re not in the city!”

“No, spread to the neighboring cities!” Marks said. “They can’t nuke all of them at once!”

“Nothing says they won’t!” Natasha said. “They have enough nukes!”

“Enough!” Eva said. “I didn’t come back here after four years to listen to this!”

“If I may, let me explain our current predicament,” Julian said, “They are going to drop more nukes next week if all rebel groups don’t surrender. Now, this applies to rebellions all over Europe. So if, say, the Basques don’t stand down, we might get nuked. Or they might target some other city. Suffice it to say, there are a lot of uncertainties.”

“So you’re saying even if we surrender, we might still get nuked because some idiots in the Pyrenees didn’t surrender,” a rebel said.

“On the other hand, if we don’t surrender, we might not get nuked,” another rebel said.

“Yes, we don’t know,” Julian said.

“Okay, here’s my suggestion,” Eva said, “Anyone who wants to surrender, go ahead. Anyone who wants to keep fighting, go ahead. But the city and its people should come first. We should focus on evacuating everyone by sea or into the old war bunkers.”

“That’s good and all, but how do we evacuate them?” a rebel said. “Last I heard, the North Sea was still treacherous.”

“By pooling together our remaining Limitanei ships to escort them to international waters,” Julian said.

“The Limitanei’s already tied up guarding the coast!” the Limitanei commander said. “It’s in our job description! If we do this, we’ll expose the city to an attack from the coast!”

“There likely won’t be a city left at this rate next week, no matter what we do,” Eva said, “We should send as many ships out as possible. This way, we can minimize casualties should the worst happen.”

The Limitanei commander thought for a moment. “This better work.”

After the meeting ended, Angelica left to go get dinner. She found Annie, Anna, and Walter waiting in the hallway, talking to each other.

“If Cigarette Guy hid up there for so long, we could do the same,” Annie said.

“Who the hell is Cigarette Guy again?” Anna said.

“I’ll explain later,” Annie said, “But the place is safe. Nobody will find us there.”

“I don’t know what you all are saying,” Walter said.

“Dad, you should be getting some rest,” Anna said.

“Why should I?” Walter said. “I haven’t had root beer in so long.”

“Dad, this city ran out of root beer three years ago,” Annie said.

“I promise you, they’ll have root beer in Scandinavia,” Anna said.

“What’s all this about root beer and Scandinavia?” Angelica said, walking over.

“Did someone say Scandinavia?” Clara said, also joining the conversation.

Annie sighed. “Too much information, Anna.”

“Annie, be nicer to your friends,” Walter said.

“Dad, you’re not helping,” Annie said.

“Sorry if we’re interrupting something,” Angelica said.

“It’s fine, we’re just talking about maybe settling in Scandinavia,” Anna said.

“Anna, what did I just say?” Annie said.

“Annie, it’s okay,” Anna said, “We can trust Angelica and Clara.”

“But can they help us though?” Annie said.

“Sylvia has a place in Oslo,” Clara said, “Maybe we can set you up with a place in the neighborhood. Oslo’s pretty friendly to senior citizens.”

“I’ve always wanted to try Norwegian seafood,” Walter said.

“Nice offer, but unfortunately we’ll have to decline,” Annie said.

“Why’s that?” Clara said.

“Because we can’t live in the suburbs anymore,” Annie said, “Walter is a wanted man, and so are we now.”

“An old man like him?” Angelica said. “Wanted?”

“We told you he was a head researcher at Tesla Dynamic, right?” Anna said. “Theodor, that madman, wanted him to work on all sorts of horrible weapons.”

“Which I do not want to have a hand in creating,” Walter said, “After what happened last time.”

Angelica did not want to ask what happened “last time.”

“So where are you going to go, then?” Angelica said.

“Don’t know, really,” Annie said, “Maybe some place in northern Norway. A remote cabin hidden in the mountains. Far from any prying eyes. We’ll live out the rest of our years in peace.”

“Anywhere from that crazy Tesla boy,” Walter said.

“We can’t stay in the suburbs,” Anna said, “Remember how Tesla Dynamic monitored our streets and infiltrated our homes through the Internet and surveillance systems? Well, they’re doing that in other countries too, through infrastructure they bought and installed over the last ten years. Oslo is no safer for us. He’ll find us and either send someone to kill us or, even worse, bring us back to Frankfurt.”

“I totally get it,” Angelica said, “You’d do anything to protect your dad, wouldn’t you?”

“Yeah,” Annie said, “We both were separated from our families for a long time.”

“Yeah…” Angelica said, looking down. “Relatable…”

“Something wrong?” Clara said.

“This reminds me…” Angelica said. “I haven’t seen my mom in so many years.”

“Why’s that?” Clara said.

“We didn’t particularly leave each other on good terms,” Angelica said, “We had a huge argument when she found my acceptance letter to the Athanatoi academy. Another one when I actually packed up and left Alençon. We haven’t talked at all since then.”

“Have you reached out to her since then?” Annie said.

“I was planning to, but I never found the time,” Angelica said, “And then all this happened. I’m so worried for her, given what’s happening in Normandy.”

“I get it,” Anna said, “That feeling when you know people you love are suffering somewhere, and you’re powerless to help them in any way…I’d do anything to make sure not to feel that way again.”

“But what can I do about it?” Angelica said. “If I go to Normandy now, it’ll be almost certain death for me.”

“Well, it’s up to you,” Annie said, “We can’t make that decision for you.”

“I know, I know,” Angelica said.

“But for what it’s worth, let me pass on some advice to you,” Annie said, “Cherish the time you can spend with your family. Because you never know when you’ll last see them. My brother…”

She looked down, her face suddenly solemn. Anna looked like she was holding back tears.

“You remember Anders,” Annie said, “Always outspoken and dedicated to the truth.”

“Yeah, I liked his and Angie’s X-Division stories,” Angelica said.

“Honestly I just liked the sunflower seeds he shared with us,” Clara said, “Sorry.”

“That’s understandable,” Anna said, “Me too, for the record.”

“What happened to Anders and Angie anyways?” Angelica said. “They drove out of Bremerhaven a month before Red Christmas began…and that was the last we heard of them.”

Nobody said anything for a few seconds.

“…Angelica,” Annie said, “That’s as much as we all know.”

“Neither of us know any more,” Anna said.

“I miss my son,” Walter said, “I miss my niece.”

“It wouldn’t be as bad if we know they’re dead,” Annie said, “Then we can mourn and move on. But we don’t know. We don’t know if they’re alive or dead. Things are bleak enough that it’s reasonable to assume they’re dead after so long without contacting us. But there is still a sliver of hope that since we haven’t heard of their deaths, they might have survived. It’s a most excruciating feeling.”

“I feel the same with my mom,” Angelica said, “I don’t know if she’s okay. Maybe I should go to Alençon and find out.”

“That’s your decision to make,” Anna said.

“What about you two?” Clara said. “Don’t you want to find out what happened to Anders and Angela?”

“We’d like to, but it’s too dangerous,” Annie said, “We know where they were heading to—Constantinople and Damascus. But those cities are on the other side of the country, and the whole country wants us dead. There’s no guarantee we’ll even find the answers we want. And we have to look after Dad.”

“But for the record, my brother always thought getting painful answers was better than neutral ambiguity,” Anna said, “He would have always rushed into danger if it meant getting a chance at finding the truth.”

“And Angie?” Angelica said.

“Well…” Annie said. “I think she’d be proud someone like you was named after her.”

“Really?” Angelica said. “But all I’ve done is hide here for years.”

“So what?” Annie said. “I hid from Sentinel in the Penglai outback for about 15 years. Nothing wrong with it. If anything, it shows you’re smart enough to outlast your enemies.”

“Perhaps,” Angelica said, “Perhaps.”

“Just think about it,” Anna said, “It’s up to you in the end. But if it were up to me? I’d do anything for my family. I’d do anything for closure.”

• 1Like
Reactions:
If Elias' plan moving forward really is just nukes, then our heroes could just be on standby. Eventually, he'll have created so many people who despise him that no one will be left who is still loyal.

If Elias' plan moving forward really is just nukes, then our heroes could just be on standby. Eventually, he'll have created so many people who despise him that no one will be left who is still loyal.
But would they really just wait and let more people die from nukes with no guarantee Elias is actually making serious enemies?

Those nukes are really worrying. Also I think Eva has a point whose to say the rebels that surrendered wont get nuked anyway due to those still resisting?

“If Cigarette Guy hid up there for so long, we could do the same,” Annie said.
I know he is most likely dead at this point due to old age but (can't believe I'm saying this after all the stuff he has done in the X-Division arc but) I feel like an appearance by him would be very welcome right now.

“…Angelica,” Annie said, “That’s as much as we all know.”

“Neither of us know any more,” Anna said.

“I miss my son,” Walter said, “I miss my niece.”

“It wouldn’t be as bad if we know they’re dead,” Annie said, “Then we can mourn and move on. But we don’t know. We don’t know if they’re alive or dead. Things are bleak enough that it’s reasonable to assume they’re dead after so long without contacting us. But there is still a sliver of hope that since we haven’t heard of their deaths, they might have survived. It’s a most excruciating feeling.”

“I feel the same with my mom,” Angelica said, “I don’t know if she’s okay. Maybe I should go to Alençon and find out.”

“That’s your decision to make,” Anna said.

“What about you two?” Clara said. “Don’t you want to find out what happened to Anders and Angela?”

“We’d like to, but it’s too dangerous,” Annie said, “We know where they were heading to—Constantinople and Damascus. But those cities are on the other side of the country, and the whole country wants us dead. There’s no guarantee we’ll even find the answers we want. And we have to look after Dad.”

“But for the record, my brother always thought getting painful answers was better than neutral ambiguity,” Anna said, “He would have always rushed into danger if it meant getting a chance at finding the truth.”

“And Angie?” Angelica said.

“Well…” Annie said. “I think she’d be proud someone like you was named after her.”

“Really?” Angelica said. “But all I’ve done is hide here for years.”

“So what?” Annie said. “I hid from Sentinel in the Penglai outback for about 15 years. Nothing wrong with it. If anything, it shows you’re smart enough to outlast your enemies.”

“Perhaps,” Angelica said, “Perhaps.”

“Just think about it,” Anna said, “It’s up to you in the end. But if it were up to me? I’d do anything for my family. I’d do anything for closure.”
I hope they do eventually find out what happened to them. For closure at least.

Despite all of this craziness going on looking at the last two updates before Chapter 461 those being
Just Desserts (24 December - 1 January 2038)
Weight Lifted (11-12 January)
Gives me some hope that something good will happen. However since it is never specified who gets their "Just Desserts" or "Weight Lifted" I am prepared for the worst.

Those nukes are really worrying. Also I think Eva has a point whose to say the rebels that surrendered wont get nuked anyway due to those still resisting?
She has a point. There's no way to tell if Elias will keep his word.
I know he is most likely dead at this point due to old age but (can't believe I'm saying this after all the stuff he has done in the X-Division arc but) I feel like an appearance by him would be very welcome right now.
He'd probably be mad Anders actually went down to the committee when his own alien-backed global conspiracy bent on world domination failed.
I hope they do eventually find out what happened to them. For closure at least.
Hopefully.
Gives me some hope that something good will happen. However since it is never specified who gets their "Just Desserts" or "Weight Lifted" I am prepared for the worst.
hmmmm

Ouch, looks like that standard that Elias previously had has whittled away. Jerusalem will destroy itself at this rate, as there will be nobody left who support them. Then again, there maybe nobody left that oppose them and wish for the restoration of the Reich. I think the Middle East, Africa and basically any province outside of Europe would want out of a post Commitee Reich. Even some European provinces like Hispania, Italia and Gallia might not stick around.

Quite a nasty thing that Henrich was forced to do. Even with his secret opposition to Elias, he’d probally be hanged as a war criminal along with Wilhelm Karl, Gertrude and the rest of the Committee. Quite unfortunate.

Tragic how Annie, Anna and Angelica are in the dark about the fates of their family. At least Clara seems be keeping in touch with her loved ones and there’s still hope that Angelica’s family is okay. Glad to see Eva is back in action, although Julian is a good leader.

I wonder if the places the Committee nuked now will become Jerusalem’s version of the colonies in the future. They are relatively close to Imperial Homelands in North Africa and the Middle East after all. The fact that the Committee has plans to nuke more cities concerns me, soon entire regions like the Middle East may become nuclear wastelands.

Going off topic here, but I think Brandenburg Palace may be seen as a symbol of the Committee and be destroyed and never rebuilt once Jerusalem falls as retribution for Tabula Rasa unfortunately, kind of like the East German Palace of the Republic ironically.

Quite a nasty thing that Henrich was forced to do. Even with his secret opposition to Elias, he’d probally be hanged as a war criminal along with Wilhelm Karl, Gertrude and the rest of the Committee. Quite unfortunate.
Ether that or they will end up like those who participated in the plot to kill Hitler known as Operation Valkyrie in OTL.

I wonder if the places the Committee nuked now will become Jerusalem’s version of the colonies in the future. They are relatively close to Imperial Homelands in North Africa and the Middle East after all. The fact that the Committee has plans to nuke more cities concerns me, soon entire regions like the Middle East may become nuclear wastelands.
The funny/sad part is that for the longest time I thought TTL''s Middle East was better off than OTL's but now I think it might be worse.