The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They‘d probably go out of their way to remove the Islamic and Jewish elements that were added to Hagia Sophia after 11/9 tho, possibly even those Varangian runic inscriptions inside the cathedral if they’re particularly dedicated to Tabula Rasa. As for the rest of Constantinople, most certainly they’d inflict Tabula Rasa on secular and non Christian landmarks, like Kypades Park. Not sure about the statutes of Saint Gunhilda and Wilhelmina tho.
They will most certainly tear down the non-Christian elements added to Hagia Sophia (which reminds me, they'll do the same to the Temple of Solomon too). As for the landmarks of Kyparades Park...wait and see.
There is another thing that stuck out to me about Tabula Rasa, and that is the moratorium on the construction of buildings taller than a small church. First off, is that a reference to early versions of the Augustian Code that limited the construction of non Christian places of worship to below the height of the tallest nearby Christian cathedral? Also, how much would that effect architecture, urban design and city planning in the Reich, since it most certainly would lead to modern Roman cityscapes being destroyed? I can see Elias doing something like the Germania plan at this point, but with very different architectural inspirations.
Yeah, that was brought back (although honestly I forgot it was in the early Augustinian Code and just introduced it because I've seen such laws commonly implemented in many alternate histories like Age of Miracles). It will be utter chaos for large cities like Constantinople, but I could see some buildings (like Tesla Dynamic's headquarters) being spared. The materials from the demolished buildings would be used to build (smaller) buildings in the eastern provinces...at least in theory, but most contractors would just sell the materials on the black market for a profit and not bother with the cost of constructing a new building.
You know when you mentioned the Man in the High Castle Show, I'm starting to worry about the statue of Romanitas, especially since much like our own OTL Lady Liberty, she's been destroyed (or even damaged beyond repair) in many apocalyptic movies. I'm starting to wonder if the empire will destroy that statue in the name of their 'narrative'. Such a tragedy it is, to see Charlemagne's throne and his legendary sword reduced to rubble. Willhelm Karl must be cringing internally on what he had to do, especially since said relics were owned by his namesake. You know, I once again say this, it seems those that had been former enemies of the Reich since the days of CK2 are now the ones trying to stay sane in a world of that's spiraling down to madness and idiocracy. Of course the Scandinavians are still being held back by the Ragnarokkers but it's ironic isn't it that the Eimericans are now the ones trying to fix this huge mess alongside Russia, former antagonists in CK2 and the Cold War segments of this megacampaign. Also much as I want to empathize with Gertrude, she is the reason Elias is that way, you reap what you sow in the end, and the fruits of her labor is already very bitter. Also Han's rather uhhh....undiplomatic behaviour is why I can't take him seriously, the man is more of a rockstar or an immature high schooler than the chancellor of a superpower. Then again that sort of thing is definitely why the younger generation adores the man. But it won't last, or at least I sure hope so.
It's really funny how most antagonists from every part are teaming up as the good guy alliance now:

CK2: Aztecs (through the Eimerican Federation) and Mongols (through Yavdi)
EU4: Lithuania and Persia
Victoria 2: Lithuania again and Soviets
HOI3: Soviets again (technically also the Reich since it was in a civil war and its own "enemy"?)
NWO Cold War: Soviets again and the Eimericans

Meanwhile the traditional Big Three hegemons (the Reich, China, and India) have either gone insane or were neutered. What a huge redemption arc the former villains of the world are now getting against an even bigger villain.

Gertrude is like Serena in the Handmaid's Tale show. She used her rights under the old regime to argue against giving rights to women and then got surprised when the restrictions started applying to her as well. Goes to show people (both men and women) can be tricked into sabotaging themselves and going against their own interests.

Han resembles an even more unhinged Ben Shapiro fused with Jair Bolsonaro, Viktor Orban, Vladimir Putin, and Xi Jinping (to some extent). He's a complete addict for the spotlight, willing to say and do anything to stay in it, even taking credit for stuff he didn't do and would even hurt him if it gets him in the news (which only increases his reputation with the common people as an anti-establishment maverick). I described him as having a youthful popstar look (so like Korean boy bands), with an attitude to match, endearing him to the younger generations. This is what makes him especially dangerous. He's unpredictable and intentionally inflammatory just to stay in the spotlight, which is something his base loves.
The national populists and their leader Itzcotocatl Yaquica would ultimately win with Ocuil II and his family being reduced to figureheads. Now that the Alliance is one again united in a common purpose and with descent among neighbors after the collapse of the Reich and with China entering into isolation Yaquica has begun to pick up, the economy has been improving and the army is being rebuilt in secret so as to not alarm any of their neighbors. It is time for the world to once again tremble in fear of the Triple Alliance. Across the country the fraze has been chanted “The Gods Have Awoken And We Are Their Instrument”.
Like the idea of the Aztecatls remaining in power here and adopting a proto-Mexicanist stance. What would be possible routes of expansion/alliance? I imagine they'd go after Fox for the northern altepetls, then Mayapan and Muisca for the Yucatan and Mitteleimerica, then maybe in the endgame they go after Chinese Fusang for Sonora.
It is believed that the Tawantinsuyu had no formal writing system until the Jin introduced Chinese characters so we might not know Tawantinsuyu’s full history but what we do know is that the Empire of Tawantinsuyu is one of the oldest Native Empires in the Eimerica’s
Technically, we do know their full history from oral traditions, though this is a minor point.

Otherwise it's really great. I like the relationships between the different regimes and how they view each other. Makes it feel like this region is building towards a giant Eimerican war in the endgame.

Reactions:
Technically, we do know their full history from oral traditions, though this is a minor point.
Yea. The reason that I wrote it that way was due to the fact that Oral History is a fickle thing. You do not know what was exaggerated and what is true. I know written history can be just as bad but I fell like oral history is even more unreliable and at least with written history they usually have sources.

Like the idea of the Aztecatls remaining in power here and adopting a proto-Mexicanist stance. What would be possible routes of expansion/alliance? I imagine they'd go after Fox for the northern altepetls, then Mayapan and Muisca for the Yucatan and Mitteleimerica, then maybe in the endgame they go after Chinese Fusang for Sonora.
Otherwise it's really great. I like the relationships between the different regimes and how they view each other. Makes it feel like this region is building towards a giant Eimerican war in the endgame.
I wanted to keep the Triple Alliance as a National Populist State like @CaptainAlvious had for his Fox update. I also modeled Tawantinsuyu after the Ottomans in were they won in Kaiserreich but are still in decline.

As for possible routes of expansion/alliance for the Triple Alliance? I think that they could have a temporary alliance between Mayapan and Muisca like the Emerican Confederation and China in TTL or the Cairo Pact in OTL to go against Tawantinsuyu.

Or it can go similarly to the Nazis in OTL in were the Triple Alliance would demand the boarder provinces along the Rio Grande River (Do not know what it is called in TTL) and in the northwest in a similar way that Germany remilitarized the Rhineland. Then they could demand Guatemala and the Yucatán Peninsula similarly to OTL's Sudetenland. I do not know what could be TTL's Polish/Danzig Corridor would be though. Mabey the area between the Panama Canal and OTL Honduras and El Salvador?

I just realized while writing/editing future updates that there's another common theme running through this part of the story: remembrance and legacy. People are scared of being forgotten after they are gone, and they want to be not only remembered but remembered in a certain way. A lot of the living characters will worry about being remembered and how they are remembered, while they also look at dead characters and reflect on the legacies they left behind.

Yea. The reason that I wrote it that way was due to the fact that Oral History is a fickle thing. You do not know what was exaggerated and what is true. I know written history can be just as bad but I fell like oral history is even more unreliable and at least with written history they usually have sources.
Fair enough. Although oral history can prove to be surprisingly resilient even if it becomes shrouded in myth or becomes a long game of telephone (there are a lot of millennia-old folktales that tell of volcanic eruptions and sea level rises with surprising accuracy), while written history is prone to being destroyed, rewritten, censored, or just being written flat out with bias or defamation in mind.
I wanted to keep the Triple Alliance as a National Populist State like @CaptainAlvious had for his Fox update. I also modeled Tawantinsuyu after the Ottomans in were they won in Kaiserreich but are still in decline.
I see. Makes sense, even though they were so successful they have almost the entire continent under their control. I imagine conquering Neurhomania would cause a lot of internal strife and economic issues.
As for possible routes of expansion/alliance for the Triple Alliance? I think that they could have a temporary alliance between Mayapan and Muisca like the Emerican Confederation and China in TTL or the Cairo Pact in OTL to go against Tawantinsuyu.
Yeah, the Triple Alliance would like want to take out Tawantinsuyu first as its ancient enemy and then near the end of the game, once they've won and brought as much of the New World under its influence as they can, take on China for Fusang as a final boss.
Or it can go similarly to the Nazis in OTL in were the Triple Alliance would demand the boarder provinces along the Rio Grande River (Do not know what it is called in TTL) and in the northwest in a similar way that Germany remilitarized the Rhineland. Then they could demand Guatemala and the Yucatán Peninsula similarly to OTL's Sudetenland. I do not know what could be TTL's Polish/Danzig Corridor would be though. Mabey the area between the Panama Canal and OTL Honduras and El Salvador?
I don't think I ever came up with a name for the Rio Grande, just calling it a river used as the border between the two nations, but the Triple Alliance would definitely consider that its "natural border." I could see Panama being a "corridor" situation due to its Mexican population and economic importance due to the canal, although it wouldn't be an actual corridor like Danzig/Gdansk.

I just realized while writing/editing future updates that there's another common theme running through this part of the story: remembrance and legacy. People are scared of being forgotten after they are gone, and they want to be not only remembered but remembered in a certain way. A lot of the living characters will worry about being remembered and how they are remembered, while they also look at dead characters and reflect on the legacies they left behind.
That kind of reminds me of what the Smoking Man said about Actions have consequences and the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Those two key ideas may end up sticking with us long after this arc is over, especially if the consequences you mentioned about the potential fall of Jerusalem like the discrediting of environmentalism come to pass. I can unfortunately see the worsening of global warming after the Committee's defeat in a way legitimizing Jerusalem in the eyes of the people down the line, like how the undercurrents of Soviet nostalgia in former USSR/Warsaw Pact countries like Russia and Belarus came to be, despite the Committee itself contributing to it by not doing enough.

Speaking of Stellaris consequences, I wonder what Aliens in Stellaris would think of a space faring humanity, if they had any idea of what happened down on Earth in this time? I could also see the post Rapture Annionavere and the Worm weaponing the Hohenzollernverse's more violent history to claim the moral high ground when we get to that conflict.
I don't think I ever came up with a name for the Rio Grande, just calling it a river used as the border between the two nations, but the Triple Alliance would definitely consider that its "natural border." I could see Panama being a "corridor" situation due to its Mexican population and economic importance due to the canal, although it wouldn't be an actual corridor like Danzig/Gdansk.
I think the Mexica would also want a lot of land past the Rio Grande, since most of OTL American deep south was a part of the Triple Alliance and had large Nahua populations.

Great update by the way @GhostRider124, as always.:)

Last edited:
That kind of reminds me of what the Smoking Man said about Actions have consequences and the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Those two key ideas may end up sticking with us long after this arc is over, especially if the consequences you mentioned about the potential fall of Jerusalem like the discrediting of environmentalism come to pass. I can unfortunately see the worsening of global warming after the Committee's defeat in a way legitimizing Jerusalem in the eyes of the people down the line, like how the undercurrents of Soviet nostalgia in former USSR/Warsaw Pact countries like Russia and Belarus came to be, despite the Committee itself contributing to it by not doing enough.
Yep, it really does tie in to the setup for Stellaris, as the committee will for better or worse affect the rest of the century.
Speaking of Stellaris consequences, I wonder what Aliens in Stellaris would think of a space faring humanity, if they had any idea of what happened down on Earth in this time? I could also see the post Rapture Annionavere and the Worm weaponing the Hohenzollernverse's more violent history to claim the moral high ground when we get to that conflict.
They'd be very scared of crossing or even trusting humans, knowing what they are capable of doing to themselves.
I think the Mexica would also want a lot of land past the Rio Grande, since most of OTL American deep south was a part of the Triple Alliance and had large Nahua populations.
That could be the case.

Han continues to be one of the least likable noteworthy characters in this, but at least Jayasimha stood his ground for his granddaughter.

Well done to GhostRider124 on the Triple Alliance segment, very nice.

I second the others' opinions, the Mexica update was quite nice, especially the potential of them becoming a superpower again, of course they'll definitely have to deal with a lot of issues first much like Ottomans will have to in Kaissereich.

Han continues to be one of the least likable noteworthy characters in this, but at least Jayasimha stood his ground for his granddaughter.

Neither Jayasimha nor Lakshmi deserved what Han bullied them with. Han is truly a despicable man.
I second the others' opinions, the Mexica update was quite nice, especially the potential of them becoming a superpower again, of course they'll definitely have to deal with a lot of issues first much like Ottomans will have to in Kaissereich.
Yeah same here, I also got some old-school KR Sternberg vibes from the Triple Alliance (reviving an ancient empire with a history of war).

Otherwise it's really great.
Great update by the way @GhostRider124, as always.:)
Thanks everyone :).

However @TWR97 and @zenphoenix I think you both are a little confused. I modeled Tawantinsuyu after the Ottomans from Kaissereich not the Mexica. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough.

Thanks everyone :).

However @TWR97 and @zenphoenix I think you both are a little confused. I modeled Tawantinsuyu after the Ottomans from Kaissereich not the Mexica. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough.
I was more agreeing with the "potential of becoming a superpower again" part, which led into my comparison to Sternberg and how in older KR versions he could declare himself Genghis Khan II and go on a conquering spree to restore the Mongol Empire.

The Embassy

Kiev - January 10

“…we will defend Christendom’s traditional values against the genderless and infertile fascist equalist liberal political correctness of the UN…”

“…on the heel of the appointment of Schmitz CEO Bysandros Malecares as Minister of Media Morals…”

“…‘hearts of dead gays and lesbians should be cut out and burned’…”

“…press release states the Kaiser stands for these values, while ‘ideological leftist populism’ is dividing society elsewhere…”

“…Against the backdrop of a difficult economic situation, people are becoming more prudent. It is important for most people to preserve their way of life, their lifestyle, their traditions. This is a normal global trend which should be encouraged…”

“…In a sign of the worening global situation, the Russian government has filed for bankruptcy for the first time in ten years…”

“…His Holy Majesty calls on nationalists of the world to unite behind him…”

“…General Kowalski, in charge of Tiger's Defense, calls it ‘the greatest information warfare blitzkrieg we have ever seen in the history of information warfare’…”

Kiev was the ancient capital of Russia. Known as the Slavic Rome, it was built into its current glory as the tsars’ answer to Constantinople and Berlin, and it showed. Temples and palaces solemnly loomed over the cityscape, which was illuminated in a dreary gray under the cloudy sky. Wilhelmina and her family had a place here as well, though she personally stayed more in Tsarberg while Franz and Joseph, along with Friedrich, kept mostly to Kiev. They had taken a more active role in Russian government as advisers there, working with the Grand Duke Vasily Romanov, the elderly patriarch of the Hohenzollern cadet branch known as the Romanovs. The Romanovs were the second most powerful family in Russia, and Vasily had set aside one of his estates for Wilhelmina's family to live in. It was nice to have some family to rely on, even if they were very distant relatives. Little Friedrich found himself at home with the kids living in the estate.

Pushing those thoughts from her mind from the time being, Wilhelmina got out of her car and approached the building in front of her. A familiar red and yellow flag fluttered from a flagpole in the front yard, but it was torn and dirty. The imperial eagle only had one wing and half of an olive branch; the rest had been covered with dirty or ripped off by wind. It was like the eagle had been crippled, in a way. The faded rusty plaque next to the door and its Imperial Marine guards reinforced that idea. She could barely make out the “Embassy of the Roman Reich” text. As she approached the entrance, the Imperial Marines saluted and opened the door for her.

“Welcome home, ma’am,” one said.

“Please,” Wilhelmina said, “Save that for when we actually go home.”

She didn't know when that would be, though. Regardless, Wilhelmina entered the embassy. Several people had gathered in the meeting hall, around a table. She recognized Olga and Sophie, of course. But she didn’t recognize the others.

“I guess we can begin, then,” Olga said.

“Uh, hello,” Wilhelmina said.

“Good morning, ma'am,” a Nahua woman said, “I am Senator Izinchi Ochimeca. The only survivor of Bloody Tuesday. I was lucky I was out of town on January 1.”

“Just call me Kresge, Your Highness,,” a gruff older man said, “I was once the Constantinople Metropolitan Police Commissioner. I don’t know how I ended up here, but whatever. We need everyone we can get.”

“Lady Wilhelmina, I’m General Gebhard Remmele,” a general about Wilhelmina's age said, saluting her, “I seem to be the highest ranking member of the loyalist Heer now. Which would by default make me Megas Domestikos.”

“Boris Bradziunas,” the familiar chancellor of Livonia said, “I believe we’ve met before, Wilhelmina.”

“Yes, yes we have,” Wilhelmina said.

“Also known as the world’s biggest Office fan,” Olga said.

She really was going to hold on to that, was she?

“Hey!” Boris said.

“Anyways, we’ve got other Roman leaders scattered around the world,” Olga explained, “The military and political leaders of Sudafrika, Westafrika, Sumatra, Mittagsland, and Hawaii were unable to meet us here, due to the military situations of Africa and the Pacific.”

“I understand,” Wilhelmina said, “What did you want to talk about, then?”

“The situation in Europe is deteriorating,” Olga said, “Loyalist groups in the mainland Reich are on the verge of collapse. Hispania and Gallia are as good as lost, and Hibernia and Bremerhaven can’t hold out much longer. And from what I heard, the committee is stepping up its repression. They're even destroying cultural heritage. Did you hear they demolished Reims Cathedral?”

“I heard they destroyed the Dom of Utrecht,” Izinchi said.

“For me it was the Duomo of Florence,” Boris said.

“The Rijksmuseum?” Kresge said.

“My sources confirm they’ve at least destroyed the cathedral of Cologne,” Gebhard said.

“We all know the Kaiser smashed the throne of Charlemagne himself,” Izinchi said, “And melted down the sword Joyeuse. Turned them into yet more crosses, then mixed them among thousands of others so we won't know where they ended up.”

“What madness,” Wilhelmina said.

“Meanwhile, we exiles have been fighting amongst each other,” Izinchi said, “Ever since the collapse of the previous government in exile.”

“What happened to it?” Wilhelmina said.

“Have you been living under a rock?” Izinchi said. “The death knell was China recognizing a rival government in exile. Not us, but a random warlord in the Silberfluss region down south which only intensified the chaos in Neurhomania and split up our Eurasian forces. Han's tactics confuse and frighten me.”

“It was a miracle we got everyone else to agree to this meeting,” Kresge said, “Even the Tsarberg group was very stubborn.”

“So what do we do?” Wilhelmina said.

“We are here to form a new government in exile,” Izinchi said, “One that can receive international recognition as the legitimate government of the Roman Reich.”

“Okay, then…” Wilhelmina said. “How exactly do we do that?”

“First, we need a leader,” Gebhard said.

Wilhelmina looked at Olga. “Is this another of your tricks?”

“No, no, no, I explained you wouldn’t take the job!” Olga said.

“We know it would be useless if you don’t want it,” Izinchi said, “As appropriate and convenient as you would be. So we thought maybe we’d appoint someone from this group.”

“Well, I’m disqualified, for obvious reasons,” Boris said, “Although I was a Roman citizen.”

“I don’t think I’m qualified,” Kresge said, “I’m just a cop and I still don’t know why I’m here.”

“You’re here because you’re the Metropolitan Police Commissioner,” Olga said.

“Ex-commissioner,” Kresge said, “I was fired. I’m way out of my league here, ma’am.”

“Well, I wanted more exiles here,” Olga said, “You came to mind.”

“There are probably more qualified cops,” Kresge said.

“Yeah, well they’re either dead or otherwise aren’t here right now,” Olga said.

“Which leaves only me and you, Senator,” Gebhard said, “In my case, I think we need a military leader to guide us. We have no civilian government or any intact institutions to build on at the moment. All we have are cliques in a hundred towns across Schengen-1.”

“Schengen-1?” Wilhelmina said.

“Schengen minus one, aka minus the Reich,” Boris said, “Rolls off the tongue better than New Schengen. It’s also not really new.”

“General Remmele, I don’t think military leadership is what we need right now,” Izinchi said, “We need civilian leadership. Naming a general as our leader against the committee sends the wrong message. People would think we’re just another warlord faction. The committee would seize on that.”

“On the contrary, you didn’t really have a good reputation before the committee,” Gebhard said, “Remember ‘some people did something’?”

“That was taken out of context, and its was done by the same people behind the committee!” Izinchi said. “We need a civilian leader to show we are committed to the rule of law and the continued separation of military and civilian authority.”

“These are dangerous times,” Gebhard said, “We can’t afford the same luxuries we had when we were in Berlin. Who knows when the crusaders will cross the border, or one of their assassins targets us?”

“We can’t just sacrifice our values like that!” Izinchi said.

“We’ll just go back to normal when we win!” Gebhard said.

“And when will that be?” Wilhelmina interrupted.

Everyone looked at her.

“When are you going to win?” Wilhelmina said.

“Ma’am, that’s not in our current plan,” Gebhard said, “Our priority is rebuilding, reorganizing, and regrouping in Russia. Which could take months or even years.”

“So basically you don’t plan on winning,” Wilhelmina said, “Just surviving, while Jerusalem consolidates power and gets stronger.”

“Winning is our end goal!” Gebhard said.

“Not with your current manpower and firepower,” Wilhelmina said, “If the committee attacks, especially if you give them time to prepare, they’ll wipe you out instantly.”

“So you’re saying we should just roll over and surrender?” Izinchi said.

“No!” Wilhelmina said. “We’re not just sending a message to the committee, we’re sending a message to the rest of the world. That we aren’t going to abandon our people and our values.”

“Well, what about you then?” Izinchi said. “Why aren’t you stepping up then?”

“Because I really think there’s a better person to do this,” Wilhelmina said.

“With all due respect, you’re not making this situation any easier,” Izinchi said.

“I’m sorry,” Wilhelmina said.

“People!” Kresge said. “Can we just stop fighting? We need to work together!”

“You’re right,” Izinchi said, “My apologies, ma’am.”

Yeah, agreed,” Gebhard said.

Wilhelmina suddenly got an idea.

“You know what?” she said. “Maybe you should be our leader, Kresge.”

“ME?!” Kresge said. “What?! Where’d you get that idea?”

“Well, it’s either a general who would send the wrong message or a politician who has been the target of twenty years of disinformation and character assassinations,” Wilhelmina said, “And since you’re the only other major exile figure here, and you seem to be getting both of them to agree…”

“I…what…no…” Kresge said. “I'm just here because Olga asked me to be here! Like providing security and stuff! I'm a cop, not a politician! Olga, help me out here!”

Olga casually shrugged. “If Wilhelmina thinks it’s a good idea, then I’m all for it.”

“You are not doing this to me!” Kresge said. “I’ve got no experience!”

“Which works in your favor,” Wilhelmina said, “No political history to attack, no military history to build a reputation. You’re just a police commissioner with a…”

“Decent record,” Olga said, “Nothing special, but nothing terrible either. I worked with him in the past. I can vouch for him.”

“And if Kirova can vouch for him, I can as well,” Boris said.

“Don’t tell me you’re seriously going along with this!” Kresge said.

“All in favor?” Wilhelmina said.

Everybody raised their hands.

“Congratulations, Kresge,” Wilhelmina said.

“I hate you all,” Kresge said.

Vilnius - January 17

“Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Mr. Malecares,” Igor said.

“No, thank YOU for hearing us out,” Bysandros said, “So many times we have been maligned in foreign media as propagandists and liars. I’m glad someone outside Jerusalem is willing to hear our side of the story.”

“We all want to get down to the truth, do we?” Igor said.

“No,” Bysandros said.

Igor was taken aback by Bysandros’ immediate rejection.

“What do you mean?” he said.

“There is no such thing as objective reporting,” Bysandros said.

“Come again?” Igor said.

“You heard me,” Bysandros said, “The goal of reporting is to gain viewers. By any means necessary. Like any other piece of mass media.”

“That’s not true,” Igor said.

“Remind me again how many people watch Russian news media?” Bysandros said. “Nobody outside Russia. Meanwhile, the share of global viewers for news programs on Jerusalemite TV has tripled over the last two months alone. The public likes how our main TV channels present their content, as well as the tone of the programs. They want to hear stories of how French equalists crucified a German Christian child in Occitania.”

“That didn’t happen, did it?” Igor said.

“You can't prove it, and nobody will care anyways,” Bysandros said.

“What you’re doing…it’s dangerous,” Igor said, “You’re pursuing ratings and views, at the expense of the truth. They’ll just think the actual truth—what other news media presents—is nothing more than another fabrication.”

“Exactly,” Bysandros said, “News broadcasts are the same as any other broadcasts. They’re just TV programs. And whichever one has the most views…that is the only one worth remembering. All others are just background noise. They might as well be fabrications.”

“You’re no journalist,” Igor said, “You’re a liar and a sell-out.”

“I could say the same about you,” Bysandros said, “You’re no journalist. You’re a liar. You’re no better than me. We’re all the same in the end. Because what are we really? We’re just here to promote a narrative, and whoever’s narrative is most popular is the right one.”

“Only my narrative is true,” Igor said.

“Who says it’s true?” Bysandros said.

“Everyone will see it as the truth!” Igor said.

“Will they?” Bysandros said. “Look at the ratings, Shulkin. Nobody watches your bland and boring content. They want action and outrage. They want epic tales of good versus evil and heroes versus villains. Not some silly make-believe about some so-called truth. The truth is whatever we decide it is. It’s Polish separatists crucifying children in Bohemia.”

“Didn’t you just say it was French equalists in Occitania?” Igor said.

“No, I said it was Norse assassins killing brave crusaders in Anatolia,” Bysandros said.

“You changed it again!” Igor said.

“I did not!” Bysandros said. “You should know I was just talking about a failed assassination attempt by Neurhomanian Paulluists on the committee!”

“The hell are you doing all this for?!” Igor said. “You’re not making any sense!”

“No, you’re not making any sense!” Bysandros said. “Both sides are the same!”

---

Bysandros’ media strategy and beliefs come from Russian state propaganda which does not believe in any objective truth and constantly churns out an overwhelming amount of false and inflammatory narratives to confuse and enrage its vieweres and discredit any Western narratives.

The negative headlines shown in passing are either real headlines regarding Putin’s global right-wing aspirations or actual things he or other pro-Putin right-wing leaders have said.

• 1Like
Reactions:
“…His Holy Majesty calls on nationalists of the world to unite behind him…”
Oh dear. That doesn't sound good.

They had taken a more active role in Russian government as advisers there, working with the Grand Duke Vasily Romanov, the elderly patriarch of the Hohenzollern cadet branch known as the Romanovs.
Due to the blackmail a part of me is really interested in seeing a Romanov Reich and they would still technically be Hohenzollern's.

“Have you been living under a rock?” Izinchi said. “The death knell was China recognizing a rival government in exile. Not us, but a random warlord in the Silberfluss region down south which only intensified the chaos in Neurhomania and split up our Eurasian forces. Han's tactics confuse and frighten me.”
I think Han's tactics frighten and confuse all of us Izinchi.

“Meanwhile, we exiles have been fighting amongst each other,” Izinchi said, “Ever since the collapse of the previous government in exile.”

“What happened to it?” Wilhelmina said.

“It was a miracle we got everyone else to agree to this meeting,” Kresge said, “Even the Tsarberg group was very stubborn.”
Seems like the Roman exiles have their work cut out for them.

“Everyone will see it as the truth!” Igor said.

“Will they?” Bysandros said. “Look at the ratings, Shulkin. Nobody watches your bland and boring content. They want action and outrage. They want epic tales of good versus evil and heroes versus villains. Not some silly make-believe about some so-called truth. The truth is whatever we decide it is. It’s Polish separatists crucifying children in Bohemia.”
It seems like Igor is trying to take Anders place in crusading for fair journalism however a part of me fears that Bysandros is right.

“No, you’re not making any sense!” Bysandros said. “Both sides are the same!”
I think Bysandros is trying to channel his inner LKR Guy but even though LKR Guys fell from grace Bysandros will only be a poor imitation.

I am curious as to why Han has not abolished the Chinese monarchy yet and become the "Republic of China" like Penglai and its leader Zhao did, especially since I think the current Emperor is the one from the Tiananmen Square protest who ended the first junta and lead China to becoming more democratic which Han sees as week?

Since Penglai is a "Republic" now did it change its flag since the flag for the former Empire of Penglai was based on the Song flag?

I might have missed this but what ever did happen to Heinrich the general that Otto instructed to look after Wilhelm, was he killed in the purges?

Since Prince Karl was unintentionally killed in the "New Blood" update on page 273 what is the Committee going to do after Wilhelm dies either naturally or otherwise? Will Elias just declare Jerusalem a republic or something else?

Lastly is there any more updates on how Wilhelm, his wife Francesca and Gertrude are going to destroy the blackmail Elias has on Wilhelm and the Hohenzollern's?

Oh dear. That doesn't sound good.
And it’s something that is happening in real life with Putin right now.
Due to the blackmail a part of me is really interested in seeing a Romanov Reich and they would still technically be Hohenzollern's.
Would be interesting.
I think Han's tactics frighten and confuse all of us Izinchi.
Han: “Sometimes my genius, it’s almost frightening.”
Seems like the Roman exiles have their work cut out for them.
They do.
It seems like Igor is trying to take Anders place in crusading for fair journalism however a part of me fears that Bysandros is right.
Meanwhile Bysandros is trying to do the same...and he seems to be winning.
I think Bysandros is trying to channel his inner LKR Guy but even though LKR Guys fell from grace Bysandros will only be a poor imitation.
Obviously. That’s all he is in the end, an imitation of a reporter.
I am curious as to why Han has not abolished the Chinese monarchy yet and become the "Republic of China" like Penglai and its leader Zhao did, especially since I think the current Emperor is the one from the Tiananmen Square protest who ended the first junta and lead China to becoming more democratic which Han sees as week?
That emperor passed away, and his son (while not as wannabe authoritarian) is being sidelined by Han. Han has plans of his own for the monarchy...
Since Penglai is a "Republic" now did it change its flag since the flag for the former Empire of Penglai was based on the Song flag?
In game it switched to one of the Australia dictatorship flags from the original NWO, and in universe it probably has a different flag from that, but I can’t come up with a design right now so I just use the old Song flag for convenience.
I might have missed this but what ever did happen to Heinrich the general that Otto instructed to look after Wilhelm, was he killed in the purges?
He’s still on the committee. We’ll get back to him at some point.
Since Prince Karl was unintentionally killed in the "New Blood" update on page 273 what is the Committee going to do after Wilhelm dies either naturally or otherwise? Will Elias just declare Jerusalem a republic or something else?
He has a son so he’d be installed as the next puppet.
Lastly is there any more updates on how Wilhelm, his wife Francesca and Gertrude are going to destroy the blackmail Elias has on Wilhelm and the Hohenzollern's?
There will be some eventually, but it might take a while because I focused on other characters first. By the way, Heinrich is involved in this scheme too.

I guess this is the firehose of falsehood you talked about in the general discussions before. I didn’t know much about Russian fake news before this arc, but that is unnerving to me. Good on Igor for standing his ground against Bysandros' lies though, I didn't expect to see him again.

Sad to hear about all that cultural heritage destroyed by Tabula Rasa, especially the Cathedral in Florence. No doubt they'd do the same to non Christian culture as well. Now I'm worried about what the Committee will do to pre Christian Greco-Roman ruins in Europe. I think we can say goodbye to the Parthenon or Colosseum sadly.

Bad luck for Kresge getting roped into all this. That said, there is the saying that the best leader is the one that doesn't want to rule, so maybe he could good job at this leading the exiles thing. Not sure if choosing a leader will be enough to unite the resistance though.

Weird how the Committee is building a cult of personality around Wilhelm Karl despite Elias making it clear he his intention to destroy the Hohenzollerns.

Last edited:
Now I'm worried about what the Committee will do to pre Christian Greco-Roman ruins in Europe. I think we can say goodbye to the Parthenon or Colosseum sadly.
I can see it going both ways. On one hand they might keep it for the nationalistic aspects and their links to the First and Second Empires or they could just view anything prior to Constantine and his making Rome a Christian Empire heretical. Unfortunately I can see that last part being true.

However they are even destroying all non-Orthodox Christian Churches and Artifacts so I do not think even the ruins after Constantine are safe.

That said, there is the saying that the best leader is the one that doesn't want to rule, so maybe he could good job at this leading the exiles thing.
Cross your fingers.

I guess this is the firehose of falsehood you talked about in the general discussions before. I didn’t know much about Russian fake news before this arc, but that is unnerving to me. Good on Igor for standing his ground against Bysandros' lies though, I didn't expect to see him again.
This is actually the last time I've written about Igor (as of 2038), as I always intended him as a one-off character I occasionally bring back when I need a journalist viewpoint. Unfortunately, he's the best we got going up against the media behemoth that is Bysandros now.
Sad to hear about all that cultural heritage destroyed by Tabula Rasa, especially the Cathedral in Florence. No doubt they'd do the same to non Christian culture as well. Now I'm worried about what the Committee will do to pre Christian Greco-Roman ruins in Europe. I think we can say goodbye to the Parthenon or Colosseum sadly.
If they can do this to Christian cultural heritage already...imagine how they would treat non-Christian heritage.
I can see it going both ways. On one hand they might keep it for the nationalistic aspects and their links to the First and Second Empires or they could just view anything prior to Constantine and his making Rome a Christian Empire heretical. Unfortunately I can see that last part being true.
They might keep a few things in a relatively "sanitized" manner, but the rest will be considered heretical and destroyed.
However they are even destroying all non-Orthodox Christian Churches and Artifacts so I do not think even the ruins after Constantine are safe.
The committee firmly believes history is rewritten by the winners and is determined to prove it by example.
Bad luck for Kresge getting roped into all this. That said, there is the saying that the best leader is the one that doesn't want to rule, so maybe he could good job at this leading the exiles thing. Not sure if choosing a leader will be enough to unite the resistance though.
Let's hope so.
Cross your fingers.
Cross your fingers indeed.
Weird how the Committee is building a cult of personality around Wilhelm Karl despite Elias making it clear he his intention to destroy the Hohenzollerns.
Wilhelm Karl would prove to be a very useful scapegoat if anything goes wrong, especially with the cult of personality which would allow the committee itself to escape any blame and push it onto Wilhelm Karl.

They might keep a few things in a relatively "sanitized" manner, but the rest will be considered heretical and destroyed.
The committee firmly believes history is rewritten by the winners and is determined to prove it by example.
That’s very worrying. Also, I personally believe there maybe several Orthodox churches built after the mending of the Schism for the simple fact that it some took decades or even centuries for medieval/ early modern cathedrals to be built (thus making opening up the possibility they began struction as Catholic cathedrals even if they were finished as Orthodox) or just that they were assciated with non Greeco-German minorities in places like Italy and France.
Wilhelm Karl would prove to be a very useful scapegoat if anything goes wrong, especially with the cult of personality which would allow the committee itself to escape any blame and push it onto Wilhelm Karl.
So like how many Nazis tried (and were sometimes successful in the case of a few Wehrmacht generals and Nazi scientists, hence the Clean Wehrmacht myth and Operation Paperclip.) to avoid responsibility for crimes against humanity and a few military blunders (as the Wehrmacht was not the almighty mechanized military force that pop history and Wehraboos portray them as, they did use a lot of horses in the invasion of Poland and USSR after all) by pushing them all onto Hitlier?

Last edited:
That’s very worrying. Also, I personally believe there maybe several Orthodox churches built after the mending of the Schism for the simple fact that it some took decades or even centuries for medieval/ early modern cathedrals to be built (thus making opening up the possibility they began struction as Catholic cathedrals even if they were finished as Orthodox) or just that they were assciated with non Greeco-German minorities in places like Italy and France.
Pretty sure they'd consider anything originally built as a Catholic church in mind, even if they were finished as Orthodox churches, as Catholic tainted and thus targets for destruction. It would help that most Catholic structures are located in Western Europe...which is full of the French, Italians, and other minorities.
So like how many Nazis tried (and were sometimes successful in the case of a few Wehrmacht generals and Nazi scientists, hence the Clean Wehrmacht myth and Operation Paperclip.) to avoid responsibility for crimes against humanity and a few military blunders (as the Wehrmacht was not the almighty mechanized military force that pop history and Wehraboos portray them as, they did use a lot of horses in the invasion of Poland and USSR after all) by pushing them all onto Hitlier?
Yes, and they could use the "we were just following orders" excuse (following Wilhelm Karl's well-documented orders, that is).

Well, Kresge can't do worse than them not having a leader.