The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The French Question

10:00 AM

“…and that is why the fate of France must be a top priority. Since it is the most high profile non-German and non-Greek region, it would set a precedent for the fate of all other minority groups in a post-committee Reich.” Angelica finished her presentation. It was supposed to be a slideshow, but after a recent cyberattack, Angelica had printed out her slides on large posters and taped them to the walls, using markers to circle and underline important points.

At least this briefing stayed on topic. Though it would be in really bad taste if the topic suddenly shifted to something mundane like my college history or music preferences. Again.

“Thank you, Angelica,” Wilhelmina said.

Angelica clasped her hands. “So what are you thinking so far?”

“Honestly, I don’t know yet,” Wilhelmina said, “All you told me was what’s happening in France.”

Not her fault. That was the only thing she could talk about, really.

“I know I must sound impatient,” Angelica said, “But the situation is urgent.”

I know.

“We told you about what happened to Alençon,” Billy said.

“And Perpignan,” Ruby said.

Their own slides were also taped to the walls.

“We just want to make sure nobody else has to suffer their fate,” Angelica said.

“What I saw there…” Tania said. “Nobody should have to live through that. The madness must end.”

Sounds like something Olga would say. Breaking cycles and forging a new path was her brand. If only she was here with us...

“Tania, you’re Olga’s niece, right?” Wilhelmina said.

“Yeah.”

“What would Olga have done?”

Tania thought for a moment. She briefly winced, no doubt remembering what happened to her aunt. But she quickly recollected herself. “For fifty years after the last war, Russia was stuck in a constant cycle of economic malaise and constant financial insolvency. But thanks to Aunt Olga, that came to an end. How? Previous chancellors harshly suppressed equalist remnants and dismissed any genuinely useful tools and ideas they might have had out of hand.”

“But didn’t they backtrack after Chernomyrdin?” Wilhelmina said.

“Sort of, but even Petrov couldn’t do enough to get out of the slump. Aunt Olga finallly fixed things by reaching out to all corners of Russia. Left and right, worker and employer, Russian and non-Russian…equalist and capitalist. She brought everyone together, forgot nobody. Made things were done in a new and better way.”

“Funny that, a former equalist adopting such an approach,” Wilhelmina said, “Olga always felt open to that, actually.”

“She hated Varennikov for what he did to her personally, but she didn’t let him dictate the path she chose for herself and her nation.”

“Tani, are you suggesting we use Russian economic policy to rebuild France?” Angelica said.

“I’m suggesting we use it as inspiration,” Tania said, “Any path forward for France will need to include the French as equals of the Germans. We can’t retread the same ground. It’ll just end up the same way, with the Germans killing the French. We have to do this another way. Bring in new people with new ideas. Bring in the French.”

“What do you think I’m doing?” Angelica said.

“What do you think we’re doing?” Billy said.

“I get it,” Wilhelmina said, “I don’t deny we need a new approach. The old way—the province of Gallia—doesn’t work. We’ve tried it for a thousand years, and nothing changed. So what I’m thinking is…maybe we do away with provinces altogether. Overhaul the Länder system too, if not do away with that as well.”

“For the whole Reich?” Ruby said.

“Yeah. France can’t receive special treatment. It would only inflame tensions again. And we need to adopt the same model for other regions like Poland and Arabia.”

“Are you suggesting an autonomous region for the French?” Angelica said. “And other groups?”

“I don’t think that’s wise,” Tania said, “Further decentralization like that would lead to the splintering of the Reich. If the French gain autonomy, and the Poles and Arabs and every other formerly oppressed minority as well, then they might as well just declare independence.”

“You’re right,” Wilhelmina said, “That wouldn’t set a good precedent. I was thinking of reforming the Länder system and Diet to move away from the old qualifications system. I want to make meritocracy fairer and more representative.”

For almost a hundred years, we’ve been effectively ignoring the voices of our African citizens. Then we decided to round them up and shoot them like cattle. Anything I could do for them might be too little and too late. They might not even want it. They might not trust me or Berlin anymore. I wouldn’t blame them if they did, because I’d do the same if I were an African.

“How exactly?” Angelica said.

“I’ll have to work on it.”

“Fair enough.”

“And one more thing.” Wilhelmina leaned forward, like she did when she reached an important cutscene or boss fight. “I intend on fully disarming the Reich.”

Angelica’s eyes widened. “Hein?!”

“You heard me. Once I’m Kaiserin, I’m completely disbanding the Roman Armed Forces. I’ll hand over all of our nukes and equipment to the UN. We’ll never raise an army again. Only the bare minimum for self-defense.”

“You—you can’t be serious!” Ruby said.

“You’ve seen what the Crusaders have done,” Wilhelmina said, “It’s not a stretch to say they’re just the old Heer with a new name and uniforms. They’ve oppressed our people for the last eight years. They’ve visited unspeakable atrocities on us. Now they’re exporting those atrocities to the rest of the world. An army that large and with that much firepower…well, it’s more than a match for the entire world combined. If we win—no, when we win—I can’t let us repeat the same mistakes. A war this terrible cannot be allowed to happen again. It’s time to turn our swords into ploughshares and stop fighting altogether. The Reich has fought enough wars in its thousand years.”

The room remained silent for several seconds. Then Billy spoke up. “Gunduz’ll explode when she hears this.”

“Like she did when she heard my idea for the monarchy,” Wilhelmina said, “I know it’s shocking to hear it, but at this point, it’s necessary. We don’t deserve anything less, after what we’ve done. When this war is over, there will be a reckoning for our country and people. And we completely deserve everything that’s coming for us.”

---

After the briefing concluded, Wilhelmina gathered up her notebook and left the room, but Angelica caught up to her.

“Uh, ma’am?” she asked.

“Please, just call me Wilhelmina.”

“I…I have something to ask of you.”

Wilhelmina nodded. “Don’t be shy.”

“On Bloody Tuesday, nine years ago…” Angelica hesitated for a moment. “I was told you were on your way to attend the Kaiser’s New Year’s Day address. But you didn’t arrive in time. Where were you?”

Wilhelmina thought deeply, remembering where she was on that fateful day. “I was…stuck in traffic. I was told an Athanatoi car got in a crash and caused a jam.”

Angelica nodded. “That solves things. I believe I caused the traffic jam.”

“You…did?”

“Yeah, my team was rushing to the Reichstag building to stop the massacre from happening. I failed, of course, and everyone on my team died a horrible death, but now I know at least one good thing came out of that.”

“You…saved my life,” Wilhelmina said.

“I did,” Angelica said, “Accidentally. In two senses of that word.”

“I have to thank you for that,” Wilhelmina said, “I wouldn’t be here if not for you.”

“I was just doing my job,” Angelica said, “Horribly. If I had gotten there faster, I could’ve stopped the massacre and you’d still be saved anyways, along with way more people.”

“Still, what you did saved me,” Wilhelmina said, “If not for that traffic jam, I’d have arrived at the Reichstag and been gunned down immediately.”

Along with Franz and Joseph. Then there’d be nobody to threaten Uncle Karl’s claim to the throne. And when he died, so too would the main Hohenzollern line.

“I have to thank you somehow,” Wilhelmina said.

“Don’t sweat it,” Angelica said, “You don’t have to.”

She thought for a moment. “Wait a minute, there might be one thing.”

“Yeah, anything,” Wilhelmina said.

“Come to my bakery and try my pastries.”

Wilhelmina stared at her. “You have a bakery?”

“Certainly not now, but I plan on starting a bakery once this war’s over,” Angelica said, “I’m thinking of leaving the Athanatoi when my combat skills are no longer needed. But…my team got slaughtered on Bloody Tuesday. I’m the last survivor. Do you think abandoning the Athanatoi is cowardice? Betraying their sacrifice?”

Wilhelmina put a hand on Angelica’s shoulder. “I don’t think so. It’s your call to leave the Athanatoi, not your team’s. It’s not cowardice to choose a new career. If anything, I think it’s strength. You have the strength to leave something you’ve done for a long time and start on a new path. I think your team would love that, if they were here.”

“Perhaps,” Angelica said.

“And I’ll definitely make sure to stop by. I bet you’ll be a great baker.”

“You think?”

“Why don’t you demonstrate this afternoon? I’d love to try out anything you make!”

Angelica’s face reddened. “Oh, no, not today, today’s not a good time.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t be too harsh. And besides, you’re already confident enough to open a bakery. Your pastries most certainly aren’t that bad!”

“Yeah, stop selling yourself short!” Billy said.

“I agree!” Ruby said.

“Don’t worry,” Tania said, “We’re here for you, Angelica.”

Angelica hesitated for a moment. Then she relaxed a bit.

“Alright, I’ll trying baking something this afternoon,” she said, “You’re welcome to try.”

Wilhelmina smiled. “Looking forward to it.”

11:00 AM

There were other surviving Hohenzollerns. Actually, more like “surviving Hohenzollern.” The Schweinfurt sitting in front of her looked nothing like she imagined. He was a young man, a little younger than Joseph, with curly brown hair—the familiar if generic Hohenzollern brown—and wearing medical scrubs. The badge in his shirt pocket identified him as a field medic for the Artesh units stationed in the city.

Brown hair. We all have brown hair. Except for Mom. Why did I get Dad’s hair instead of hers? Oh wait. Remember that time you dyed your hair blond? Let’s not think about that again.

This wasn’t exactly another briefing. Wilhelmina just wanted to meet the last surviving Schweinfurt in the world. Julian, the brother of the late mayor of Bremerhaven, had come along because he had things to share with her.

“So I suppose we’re cousins,” Wilhelmina said.

“In a way,” August said, “But more like extremely distant relatives.”

“I suppose you’re also the last of the Schweinfurts?”

August shook his head sadly. “Yes, unfortunately. I watched the Crusaders gun down my family in front of me.”

So…the time when I finally pressed my claim, and the committee responded by wiping out my entire family. They hit everyone. Main line Hohenzollerns, Schweinfurts, and now Romanovs…they meant to exterminate us entirely.

“I’m sorry,” Wilhelmina said, “It’s all my fault. I got your family killed.”

“What do you mean?”

“I announced I was going to press my claim on the throne. Announced I was the rightful Kaiserin. In retaliation, the committee killed the rest of our families. To punish me. It’s my fault everyone is dead. I got them killed.”

“You couldn’t have known, though,” August said, “You were only doing what you thought was right. Nobody could have known the committee would carry out the purge right afterward.”

“I get that a lot,” Wilhelmina said, “‘You couldn’t have known’ this, ‘you were only doing what you thought was right’ that. They always say that to make me feel better, but it doesn’t, really.”

“I’m only trying to help.”

“I get that, and I appreciate it, but honestly, I still feel the same way. Only a little bit of improvement. Nothing’s changing the fact that the entire family was purged right after I made that speech. I can’t help but make a connection.”

“Okay, so there’s a connection,” Julian said, “If you can’t deny it, then why try suppressing it?”

“What do you mean?” Wilhelmina said.

“You’ll always feel that way no matter what, as you said. So why are you letting it hold you down? Instead of letting it remind you of a failure, use it to push you forward. Make sure it never happens again.”

He’s right. This keeps happening to me. I always let my failures come back to haunt me. I can’t keep doing this.

“Sometimes, I feel unlucky to have been born into this family,” Wilhelmina said, “Most people would say I’m lucky to have been born a Hohenzollern. But it’s like a curse at times.”

“I feel that way too,” August said, “Since I’m the last of my family, I have…greater responsibilities now.”

“Like restoring the Schweinfurts?”

“I’m currently the head of the family by default. I never wanted to lead this family. All I wanted was to finish my medical studies and maybe open a hospital. Let my distant relatives handle all that dynatoi stuff. But no. I’m now in charge. I have to carry on the family lineage. The legacy of 800 years of Schweinfurts solely rests on my shoulders. It’s…terrifying.”

“A shame, what happened to the Schweinfurts,” Julian said, “A family with a legacy of service to the common people, going back all the way to Saint Gunhilda. After everything the Schweinfurts have done for the people, they’re almost wiped out.”

“Saint Gunhilda would be rolling in her grave, but the committee burned her body. Disgraceful.”

“I feel the same way, August,” Wilhelmina said, “Growing up, I was always the Crown Princess’ daughter. Then, in college, Mom and Dad died. The nobles pressured Grandpa to make Uncle Karl the new heir, instead of me. In an instant, I became an irrelevant footnote. The line of succession ignored me. The throne was no longer my destiny. It was like that for the next thirty years. Grandpa died, Uncle Karl took over, and Bloody Tuesday happened. In Russia, I was asked to press my claim. I was confused, shocked, and terrified. I hadn’t been in line to the throne for thirty years. And now people had died getting me Enonon to relegitimize my old claim. It was all so sudden. Everyone wanted me to assume a destiny I hadn’t had for years. So naturally, I didn’t accept it at first. But the times left me no choice, in the end. I was shocked when the purge began days after I made the announcement. But as you say, Julian, I can’t let it hold me back. You should do the same, August.”

“What do you suggest I do, then?”

“Well…” Wilhelmina said. “I think you should just do what you do best. Put the Schweinfurt stuff to the side for now. You’re a medic, right? I see that Artesh medic badge.”

“Yeah.” August took out his badge.

“So be a doctor. Save lives. You wanted to do that, right?”

“I did,” August said, “I’m not a fighter or a leader, but I do want to heal people.”

“Then do that,” Wilhelmina said, “Help the wounded. Make sure nobody else ends up like your family. Or leaves behind family who share your fate.”

August nodded, regaining resolve. “Thanks, Wilhelmina. That’s a good idea. I’ll work on that.”

“And you, Julian?” Wilhelmina asked. “What will you do? Restore your family?”

“As with August here, it’s not much of a priority for me,” Julian said, “My first duty is to help rebuild the Reich. That is the legacy Eva would’ve wanted for me.”

“But what kind of Reich are we going to build?” August said. “We can’t simply bring back the old system.”

Wilhelmina remembered what she and Tania had been talking about earlier. “Agreed. We’d only be repeating history. In the end we’ll just end up here again.”

“Sometimes, I wonder if the Reich even is worth restoring,” August said, “We’ve worked for a thousand years to build a fair society where the hatreds and divisions of the past are eradicated, but in the end, it was for nothing.”

“Don’t be so defeatist, August,” Julian said.

“How can I? My family tried to help regular people out for centuries, and how were they repaid? With death.”

“Still, the Reich has done a lot of good over the years,” Julian said, “I mean, it has survived this long.”

“He’s right,” Wilhelmina said, “If the Reich truly failed, it would have collapsed centuries ago. But it didn’t.”

“Why?” Julian said. “Because of Romanitas. For all of its faults, the idea still remained in people’s minds. Or at least the ideal of Romanitas. People believed it could work. Former rivals and enemies working together for a common goal. Historical enmities moved past. The cycle of violence and hatred broken. People didn’t want to kill each other anymore. So they believed Romanitas could bring about a better world.”

“But it was all for nothing in the end,” August said, “As we speak, the committee’s twisted Romanitas into the very embodiment of hatred and violence it was supposed to destroy. How do we recover from that?”

“I admit I don’t know yet,” Wilhelmina said, “But I also know that we’ll find a way.”

“What do you mean?” August said.

“Everyone thought Romanitas was dead as soon as Friedrich the Great took a different path from his predecessors. Or when Friedrich the Glorious united two empires that had been historically at odds with each other in many ways. Or when the Thirteenth Century Crisis began. When the Mexica swept through the west and the Mongols the east. When the Maximists rose up. When the Chinese began our greatest rival. When the Angeloi were on the cusp of victory. When the Soviets took half of our heartland. When the Soviets invaded. We survived all those times. We can survive and recover from this one. And hopefully, we’ll build something better when this is all over.”

“I agree,” Julian said, “We should bring Romanitas back to its roots. Back to its intended purpose: breaking the cycle of violence and hatred.”

“I promise, we will rebuild the Reich,” Wilhelmina said, “And I’ll make sure it once again becomes the nation my ancestors hoped it would be.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
With all the bleak stuff going on right now, one could say August is simply right on the whole ordeal and that Romanitas truly is a dead dream. However it takes a special kind of dedication and will to move past the dystopia the world is currently spiraling down to in hopes of a better future, and maybe a fairer world, idealists like Julian and dreamers like Angelica are needed when the Committee, Han and any other unsavory populist is truly defeated, there is still hope for a better world to be honest, the question is, will Fate and Providence give them that chance? Or will it all be for naught that shall set the stage of Mankind's eventual fall into the arms of the Worm come Stellars (Which would be interesting considering that new DLC that was just announced).

Last edited:
With all the bleak stuff going on right now, one could say August is simply right on the whole ordeal and that Romanitas truly is a dead dream. However it takes a special kind of dedication and will to move past the dystopia the world is currently spiraling down to in hopes of a better future, and maybe a fairer world, idealists like Julian and dreamers like Angela are needed when the Committee, Han and any other unsavory populist is truly defeated, there is still hope for a better world to be honest, the question is, will Fate and Providence give them that chance? Or will it all be for naught that shall set the stage of Mankind's eventual fall into the arms of the Worm come Stellars (Which would be interesting considering that new DLC that was just announced).
You probably mean Angelica instead of Angela.

You mean Nemesis, right? I don't remember seeing anything Worm related in the dev diaries so far.

Really nice update. I especially loved the more personnel moments with Wilhelmina, Angelica, August, and Julian.

“I intend on fully disarming the Reich.”

Angelica’s eyes widened. “Hein?!”

“You heard me. Once I’m Kaiserin, I’m completely disbanding the Roman Armed Forces. I’ll hand over all of our nukes and equipment to the UN. We’ll never raise an army again. Only the bare minimum for self-defense.”
When I read this I immediately thought of OTL Japan and Article 9 in it's Constitution forbidding war and only allowing for a "Self-Defense Force". However even if the Reich does this you could still have problems. For example in OTL you have nationalist who are trying to increase the JSDF's budget and who seem to want to recreate a Japanese Army. Who's to say the same thing cant happen in TTL as well if the Reich does something similar?

Wilhelmina said, “I know it’s shocking to hear it, but at this point, it’s necessary. We don’t deserve anything less, after what we’ve done. When this war is over, there will be a reckoning for our country and people. And we completely deserve everything that’s coming for us.”
I agree with Wilhelmina but we also have to be careful that any "righteous" punishment does not go overboard and create another Committee or worse.

“Still, the Reich has done a lot of good over the years,” Julian said, “I mean, it has survived this long.”

“He’s right,” Wilhelmina said, “If the Reich truly failed, it would have collapsed centuries ago. But it didn’t.”
In a way the true values of Romanitas is still there like a candle in the darkness.

You mean Nemesis, right? I don't remember seeing anything Worm related in the dev diaries so far.
I think the dlc that @TWR97 means is Overlord which from what I understand deals with subject empires.

Lastly I am working on the Balkans update and one part that I am unsure about is the country that rules Greece and Anatolia. I am unsure what to do for that country. Do I create a type of Neo-Byzantine Empire, or something else? The reason I ask is because I do not want it to sound to much like the Crusader Covenant of the Roman Faithful that @CaptainAlvious did for Völkerschalt nor do I want it to sound like the Committee from the actual story.

Really nice update. I especially loved the more personnel moments with Wilhelmina, Angelica, August, and Julian.
This whole in-universe day is dedicated to Wilhelmina going about her duties as a part of the government in exile and interacting with the rest of our protagonists. She will need to know the issues facing her people if she is to rule over them.
When I read this I immediately thought of OTL Japan and Article 9 in it's Constitution forbidding war and only allowing for a "Self-Defense Force". However even if the Reich does this you could still have problems. For example in OTL you have nationalist who are trying to increase the JSDF's budget and who seem to want to recreate a Japanese Army. Who's to say the same thing cant happen in TTL as well if the Reich does something similar?
And in OTL, modern Japanese public opinion is almost universally against rearmament after decades of pacifism. The ruling LDP has been against Article 9 (or at least the current interpretation) since 1955, yet it has been unablechange or repeal it since then. I'm not mistaken, Emperor Akihito had been very apologetic about Japan's role in World War II and probably was a strong supporter of Article 9 (not sure about this one, but it would make sense). Other countries like Germany and Italy also have anti-war clauses despite not going as far as to outlaw war. Obviously, the Reich is very different from Japan, so Wilhelmina would have to contend with militarists and nationalists if she does win and carry out her plans. One way I could see this carrying through for several decades until public opinion firmly comes around to it is with United Nations oversight, but this would require reform of that organization. Though a reform is sorely needed after what it went through in this decade.
I agree with Wilhelmina but we also have to be careful that any "righteous" punishment does not go overboard and create another Committee or worse.
She must find a balance between too little (the deangelification of Adenauer's time not going far enough) and too much (the committee purges). An apt task for a Hohenzollern Kaiserin, as the role Otto envisioned for them is to strike a balance in politics and society.
In a way the true values of Romanitas is still there like a candle in the darkness.
“If you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see.” - Uncle Iroh

The values of Romanitas haven't truly died out, but they were merely buried under the darkness. To bring them back, one only has to look for it.
I think the dlc that @TWR97 means is Overlord which from what I understand deals with subject empires.
Ah yes, I just saw the trailer a few seconds ago. Thanks for correcting me. But I'm still not sure it relates to the Worm?
Lastly I am working on the Balkans update and one part that I am unsure about is the country that rules Greece and Anatolia. I am unsure what to do for that country. Do I create a type of Neo-Byzantine Empire, or something else? The reason I ask is because I do not want it to sound to much like the Crusader Covenant of the Roman Faithful that @CaptainAlvious did for Völkerschalt nor do I want it to sound like the Committee from the actual story.
Maybe you could split Greece and Anatolia into two factions, with Greece being a democratic republican faction (borrowing from Athenian democracy) and Anatolia being ruled by the last vestiges of the old Greek dynatoi, particularly the Doukai and Komnenoi who are based in Anatolia.

Ah yes, I just saw the trailer a few seconds ago. Thanks for correcting me. But I'm still not sure it relates to the Worm?
Should have worded this out a bit clearer, but no relation to the DLC at all, just me speculating if mankind's fate is going to be the same as the Annoniaverse come Stellaris, the DLC I mentioned is also me speculating what sort of path humanity will take when it comes to their alien neighbors. So yes, I'm still holding out to that hope of a better tomorrow the characters are trying to fight for.

August having a very mature response to all this, while commendable, is also quite sad given we know why he's being mature.

Should have worded this out a bit clearer, but no relation to the DLC at all, just me speculating if mankind's fate is going to be the same as the Annoniaverse come Stellaris, the DLC I mentioned is also me speculating what sort of path humanity will take when it comes to their alien neighbors. So yes, I'm still holding out to that hope of a better tomorrow the characters are trying to fight for.
I see. The new DLC mechanics do sound like something I might use, either for myself or for any of the scripted AI civs I have planned. Will have to think about that when I get closer to Stellaris.
August having a very mature response to all this, while commendable, is also quite sad given we know why he's being mature.
Like many of our protagonists, he's forced to grow into a new role he never expected he would take on.

Projects

Outside Ali Qapu - 12:00 PM

For lunch, Wilhelmina had laid down a picnic blanket on the lawn in front of the palace. The “blanket” was actually one of Gunduz’s rugs. But Gunduz wouldn’t scream at her. They’d used this same rug plenty of times when they were kids. Whenever Gunduz’s dad went out for a diplomatic event with Otto and Elisabeth Alexandra, Gunduz would “requisition” the rug from a closet, roll it out on the lawn, sit right down, and start eating nan-e tanoori. It wasn’t that expensive of a rug anyways, and it was easy to clean. She wouldn’t complain.

Too bad she couldn’t make it for lunch. She’s off yelling at General Tahmasb again. Either about Samarkand or the heightened security measures in this city. I heard there were some high profile kidnappings lately, by the usual suspects. Heard it’s like what’s happening in Scandinavia. Scary. I don’t like that. Guess this place isn’t as safe as I thought it to be, but it’s still better than anywhere else.

“Uh, Wilhelmina?” Thea said. “You haven’t touched your lunch yet.”

Wilhelmina realized she hadn’t started eating her sandwich yet. It was takeout from a restaurant in the Kleinrom district, owned by an exile from Constantinople.

What was it called...the Arcadia? Like that old place with the great steaks? Guess they make sandwiches too, at least they do now.

“Ah, yes, right. I was just lost in my thoughts.” She bit into the sandwich and was immediately assaulted by all manner of spicy and salty flavors. Very Mediterranean, at least from what she remembered.

Definitely has that Arcadia flavor. A taste to die for, as they used to say.

“What were you thinking about, if I may ask?” Thea said.

“The past,” Wilhelmina said, “You remember that time we were at the RaumX conference in New Cordoba?”

Before, RaumX was a space exploration company founded by an eccentric Sudafrikan aristos who made one too many poor business decisions and decided to sell it to Wilhelm Tesla. Tesla rebranded it to Himmelerk (short for Himmel Erkundung) and made it into the space exploration arm of Tesla Dynamic. He announced the change at a conference in New Cordoba, where he also announced a partnership with RANA to provide efficient reusable rocket designs.

They’re better known for that publicity stunt they ran about twenty years ago. From what I remember, that Sudafrikan aristos made Tesla agree to one thing when selling the company: that he had to launch a car into space using a RaumX rocket. They ended up doing it with one of Mina’s old cars. Which is weird because Mina was firmly opposed to the scheme. She was extremely vocal about it being a waste of money and resources. What caused her to suddenly change and give up one of her own cars?

I also met Frederica at that conference. She was visiting for a school field trip. I found her at the Kronos V exhibit and ended up giving her my old Palla bobblehead as a gift. That’s probably why she ultimately applied for the astronaut training program. I hope she still has the bobblehead. She did bring it with her to the Moon. I’m still in shock that whole thing happened, especially in that year.

“Oh, the conference?” Thea said. “I haven’t thought about it in a long time. Theo dragged me there, so I didn’t remember too much.”

“I wasn’t too keen on it either, but Grandpa and Uncle Georg were busy that month, and Uncle Karl didn’t want to go. So I went instead. Since this was more of a RANA and corporate thing than something that needed the Throne, I wandered off to the museum and nobody cared.”

“And that’s where we met,” Thea said, “I was at the Freiheit 7 module.”

I liked the Kronos V more. Always had a thing for big damn rockets. Guess Frederica had the same idea. Maybe that’s why they didn’t meet. Funny how all three of us were there. If Frederica’s still alive, I should get in touch with her and bring Thea along. There are lots of things they would love to talk about.

Wilhelmina laughed. “I remember you trying to peer into the module, but you were so short you could barely see over the edge of the hatch, even on the tip of your toes.”

Thea turned red. “Nonsense, I clearly saw inside! I read the sign which explained how Mina’s dad became the first man in space!”

I’m going to call your bluff on that.

“Okay, then where’s Albrecht Schaefer from?”

“Derry, Ulster.” Thea answered without hesitation.

Funny, a German from Hibernia, who went on to be the father of one of Tesla Dynamic’s most high profile and influential executives. I would've thought that we would choose an actual Hibernian. Guess that's another example of how privileged we Germans are in our own country.

“When he did he say when he got to space?”

“That’s easy. Everyone knows that. Los geht's!” Thea put effort into saying the last phrase, trying to replicate Schaefer’s mid-20th century Hibernian accent.

Someone younger than 40 still knows that phrase! I’m surprised.

“That’s wrong,” Wilhelmina said, “He said that when he launched. When he reached space, he said, ‘I'm feeling fine. I'm in good spirits. I feel splendid, very well, very well, very well’.”

“Okay, first off, how the hell was I supposed to answer that?!” Thea said. “And second off, even if I did see the display panel, how would I remember that after all these years? And third off, how did you remember?”

“Uh…” Wilhelmina looked down. “Well…”

It was now Wilhelmina’s turn to turn red. Thea instantly knew. “You searched it online, didn’t you?”

Wilhelmina threw up her hands and conceded. “Guilty as charged. Sorry.”

Though I searched it up last year, when I was still in Russia and the Internet was still reliably usable.

Thea laughed. “Ha! I knew it!”

“Honestly, I forgot too.”

“So neither of us remembers what was in the actual capsule.”

“I do remember one thing,” Wilhelmina said, “Meeting you.”

“I freaked out when I saw you,” Thea said, “Almost fell off the stool I was using.”

I remember it very well. She looked up and saw me. Her jaw dropped and she tumbled off the stool. Even when I caught her arm and helped her back on her feet, she was speechless for a good few seconds.

“You did fall off. The look on your face! Priceless.”

“I still can’t believe I met you at the RANA museum back then. And we’re back here again, meeting for the third time!”

“Life threw us a curveball,” Wilhelmina said, “Certainly threw me a curveball. Or a couple dozen.”

“Me as well. That science fair…I can’t believe it happened.”

Wilhelmina was interested in learning more. “The science fair? You’ve mentioned it a few times before, and I heard Theodor talk about it as well, but what was it about?”

Thea’s smile disappeared, and Wilhelmina immediately regretted asking. The jovial atmosphere evaporated in an instant, replaced by a heavy feeling of tension and dread.

“That science fair changed my life,” Thea finally said, choosing her words carefully, “I can’t believe the project turned out as well as it did. Though if I had known what would happen to me and Theo…”

“Let me guess, you wouldn’t have done it? And stopped Theodor from doing it too?”

Thea shook her head. “No, I’d have taken credit for the whole thing. Like I should have.”

Does that mean…

“It was…your project?” Wilhelmina said.

Thea looked straight at her. Her eyes took on an unusual coldness, which reminded Wilhelmina more of Theodor than the cheerful young woman she knew and was just talking to seconds earlier. Thea paused again. When she finally spoke up, it was with an unnerving and cold deliberation. It was only then that Wilhelmina noticed Thea’s fists were tightly clenched.

“Of course it was. He’s had all of the records sealed behind a bunch of legal and corporate nonsense, but he can’t take away my memory. Back then, Theo’s worst subject was science. He couldn’t have made a model volcano if you gave him all of the ingredients and extremely detailed instructions. No, it was all my project.”

All your project? So...Theodor never worked on it at all? He’s actually terrible at science? No wonder he relies on a database from another universe for all of the crazy inventions he makes for Jerusalem.

Thea’s voice rose and took on a slight arrogance reminiscent of how Wilhelm Tesla used to speak. “I did all of the work. I outdid all of my classmates. I turned in a project so...ahead of everyone else it made a few teachers question their life choices. I left Uncle Willy no choice but to show up because a six-year-old girl built a crude water-based hydrogen fusion reactor and the Athanatoi themselves had been called because if I had decided to work on fission, I could've made everything needed for a nuclear warhead minus the plutonium! I only gave Theo credit because I was six and didn’t want him to not only utterly fail science class but get shown up by his little sister at the same time!”

When she’s angry, she really does sound a lot like her brother and old Herr Tesla. So after Thea gave him the credit, Theodor convinced everyone he was the true genius, so Wilhelm Tesla raised him as his successor. And somewhere along the way, he embraced his arrogance and began believing his own lie. That he was truly a visionary out to revolutionize the world, just like his uncle. All because his sister was looking out for him. An act of care and love created an ego that has now taken over a billion innocent lives. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Thea looked at the rug and shook her head, gritting her teeth. “Frak, if only I knew how much he let it get to his head, I would’ve been more than happy to let him suffer. He took advantage of my kindness to take everything from me, making himself one of the most powerful men in the Reich while I’m stuck with nothing. And still he takes more and more, because that’s all he does. That’s the only thing he’s truly good at, stealing ideas and passing them off as his own, like a vulture scavenges the remains of already dead animals instead of killing its own prey.”

Another vulture metaphor. What is it with everyone and vultures these days? But it does accurately describe Theodor Tesla. He scavenges the whole country for ideas and technology and then slaps his name on it, taking all of the credit.

“There isn’t a single bone of originality in Theo’s body. He takes from everyone. Not just me, but from his employees, his fellow citizens, even the politicians and other committee members. His only goal is to feed the ego and pocketbook of Theodor Tesla, everyone else be damned. Technology, money, power, he wants it all. He doesn’t care if he has to take it from his own sister or the Kaiser himself, if he isn’t stopped, he will go after it. And still he wants even more! He wants to take our betharium reactor too! I thought he had changed when he took in Alex. I thought he had turned over a new leaf and wanted to help people like him. I thought we could finally come to an understanding. I was naïve to believe that. He hadn’t changed. He was only using me and Alex. What he really wanted was the reactor. Well, I’m done giving him another chance. I’m done letting him take everything from me. No longer. I’m taking everything back. My knowledge, my inventions, my image, all of it. I’m going to put an end to the mad vulture, same as all the other vultures.”

Wilhelmina kept quiet while Thea finished her outburst and ran out of steam. She hadn’t expected her to speak so ferociously. Just a couple days ago, Thea had been making horrible puns, being cute with Alex, and planning the first field test of Argeiphontes in a couple days at Samarkand. And now here she was, on the warpath.

I can see the family resemblance now.

“The Nullification Acts frakked us both over, did they?” Wilhelmina finally said.

Thea nodded. “Theo thought he could force me into submission by rewriting the Augustinian Code to specifically target me, take even more from me. He thought wrong. All that accomplished was showing me just how egotistical he has become. He’s willing to use anything, even the entire nation and our core laws, to get what he wants. Even if what he wants is as trivial as slightly more money. He’s my responsibility. I could’ve stopped him twice. At the science fair, I could’ve taken credit. In 2034, I had a gun pointed at him, because he stupidly thought I’d go back and help him after everything he took from me. I could’ve shot him in the head and ended him. But I didn’t. Because of me, he’s still taking and taking from the world. I won’t make the same mistake a third time.”

“So you’ll…kill him?” Wilhelmina asked.

Thea thought for a moment. “I’d rather capture him so he answers for his crimes. But if that’s impossible, then yes, I’ll kill him. I won’t hesitate to rid the world of his greed once and for all. You get me, right? After everything the committee did to you, you should know the feeling.”

Wilhelmina slowly nodded. “I totally understand. I want to do the same for Elias Anhorn. I know how it feels to want revenge and justice. But we should take care not to let it get to our heads. Otherwise, we’d only end up like Elias and Theodor. And then what would change?”

“I get what you mean,” Thea said, “Don’t lower yourself to the level of your enemies. But when your enemies are playing dirty and don’t care about the rules, you’d only be handicapping yourself by sticking to the rules. That’s what allowed the committee to take over. Everybody who cared to fight back tried taking the moral high ground, and they didn’t notice when the committee was sneaking through the shadows to stab them in the back. At some point, we have to fight back.”

“Look, I do get the feeling,” Wilhelmina said, “I know why we ended up in this mess. But I have to repeat myself. We can’t go down the same paths they took. We’d only continue the cycle. I know I talk way too much about cycles these days, but there really is a cycle the Reich’s been going through since basically forever. It’s time we broke free and set on a new path.”

Thea nodded. “You always have to end things like that, huh? Alright, alright. As your friend, I promise I’ll make sure to not end up like Theo. By the way, Mina asked me to burn down Tesla Dynamic, and I’m not going to deny her dying wish. The whole company’s rotten. It has to go with Theo. Then we can talk about where the new path goes.”

“How about space travel?” Wilhelmina said. “Instead of building weapons of war, we could look to the stars again.”

Perfect way to get out of all this seriousness. Finally, we can move onto something more lighthearted.

Thea’s expression softened. “Got any ideas?”

Hmmm...let’s see...how about...this?

“Well, did you know for the last twenty years, me, Jayasimha, and Tsai Ing-Wen have been making plans for…catering tandoori chicken…to the International Space Station?”

Thea’s eyes widened. “You want to cater tandoori chicken…to space?”

“Yeah, and we’re completely serious about it.” Wilhelmina grinned. “Yep. Serious…snrk…haha…AHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

She burst into laughter once she realized how silly the whole thing sounded in contrast to their previous conversation about vengeance and justice and IP theft. Thea’s stone-cold expression crumbled, and soon she was laughing along, reverting to the girl Wilhelmina knew. Some startled pedestrians shot them weird looks, but neither of them cared.

“That sounds hilarious!” Thea said.

“It does, but Jayasimha was dead serious about it. Imagine the look on his face! The Samrat Chakravartin himself!”

Thea shook her head. “Too bad about the space station, though.”

That brought Wilhelmina back to reality. As much as she wanted to escape into a funny anecdote, she was soon reminded of why such an idea wouldn’t happen anytime soon.

It’s technically not destroyed. The astronauts are fine. They raised the station’s orbit above the debris field, and they have enough supplies to last several months. Assuming this war ends in several months. But we’re in no position to launch rockets. We don’t have the fuel. Even if we had fuel, we don’t have the rockets. Even if we had the rockets, we don’t have the launch facilities. Even if we had the facilities, we don’t have the airspoce to launch the rockets through. Even if we had the airspace, we’d still have to get past the debris field. And even if we got past the debris field, we don’t have the tandoori chicken. Maybe Tsai could provide a substitute?

“I miss Tsai,” Wilhelmina said, “I haven’t heard from her in a while.”

“The old chancellor of China?” Thea said.

“Yeah, we were close friends before,” Wilhelmina said, “We kept in loose contact up until relatively recently, then she fell off the grid after November 2. It could just be the war messing with global communications. But I miss her a lot.”

“I hope she’s okay,” Thea said.

“I hope so too,” Wilhelmina said, “Me too…”

Deep down, though, I fear she’s probably dead.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Before, RaumX was a space exploration company founded by an eccentric Sudafrikan aristos who made one too many poor business decisions and decided to sell it to Wilhelm Tesla. Tesla rebranded it to Himmelerk (short for Himmel Erkundung) and made it into the space exploration arm of Tesla Dynamic. He announced the change at a conference in New Cordoba, where he also announced a partnership with RANA to provide efficient reusable rocket designs.

They’re better known for that publicity stunt they ran about twenty years ago. From what I remember, that Sudafrikan aristos made Tesla agree to one thing when selling the company: that he had to launch a car into space using a RaumX rocket. They ended up doing it with one of Mina’s old cars. Which is weird because Mina was firmly opposed to the scheme. She was extremely vocal about it being a waste of money and resources. What caused her to suddenly change and give up one of her own cars?
So SpaceX was still a thing in TTL? Also if it still exist due to it being a part of Tesla does Theodor plan to use it?

“That science fair changed my life,” Thea finally said, choosing her words carefully, “I can’t believe the project turned out as well as it did. Though if I had known what would happen to me and Theo…”

“Let me guess, you wouldn’t have done it? And stopped Theodor from doing it too?”

Thea shook her head. “No, I’d have taken credit for the whole thing. Like I should have.”

Does that mean…

“It was…your project?” Wilhelmina said.

Thea looked straight at her. Her eyes took on an unusual coldness, which reminded Wilhelmina more of Theodor than the cheerful young woman she knew and was just talking to seconds earlier. Thea paused again. When she finally spoke up, it was with an unnerving and cold deliberation. It was only then that Wilhelmina noticed Thea’s fists were tightly clenched.

“Of course it was. He’s had all of the records sealed behind a bunch of legal and corporate nonsense, but he can’t take away my memory. Back then, Theo’s worst subject was science. He couldn’t have made a model volcano if you gave him all of the ingredients and extremely detailed instructions. No, it was all my project.”

All your project? So...Theodor never worked on it at all? He’s actually terrible at science? No wonder he relies on a database from another universe for all of the crazy inventions he makes for Jerusalem.
Is Thea talking about the Panopticon or something else? Also with the kind of people the Committee attracts it would make sense that Theodor can only take credit for someone else's work and not make something himself.

It’s technically not destroyed. The astronauts are fine. They raised the station’s orbit above the debris field, and they have enough supplies to last several months. Assuming this war ends in several months. But we’re in no position to launch rockets. We don’t have the fuel. Even if we had fuel, we don’t have the rockets. Even if we had the rockets, we don’t have the launch facilities. Even if we had the facilities, we don’t have the airspoce to launch the rockets through. Even if we had the airspace, we’d still have to get past the debris field. And even if we got past the debris field, we don’t have the tandoori chicken. Maybe Tsai could provide a substitute?
I just assumed that they were killed by Han launching those satellite busters but I am glad that they are okay (for now). I think this makes them safer than anyone on earth right now (again for now).

So SpaceX was still a thing in TTL? Also if it still exist due to it being a part of Tesla does Theodor plan to use it?
Sort of. It was part of my "make analogues for real life stuff" phase, but when I was editing this part, I realized "raum" was probably used to refer to any space in general (most infamously "lebensraum") and not specifically outer space (which I just searched up and it's most likely "Weltraum"). Plus I don't want to get into the can of worms that is Elon Musk and what he could be like here (the same I guess, an annoying billionaire coasting on his family's wealth), so I phased it out in favor of a new name. In-universe, it was part of Tesla Dynamic's space exploration arm, but Theodor hasn't invested in it for a while. He doesn't see value in space exploration beyond maintaining SVI. It was probably dissolved and all of its technology repurposed for missile development.
Is Thea talking about the Panopticon or something else? Also with the kind of people the Committee attracts it would make sense that Theodor can only take credit for someone else's work and not make something himself.
I was referring to the science fair from Theodor's backstory as told to Alex, where he claimed to have created a project so amazing that it led to him being taken in by Wilhelm Tesla. That's a lie, because Thea was the one who really did the project and Theodor got the credit. It's also ironic because almost everything Theodor has made since becoming the head of the company came from the Annionaverse data core. The Panopticon itself comes from designs found in the data core combined with some Hohenzollernverse prototypes (as Martin, Kurt, and a few others had).
I just assumed that they were killed by Han launching those satellite busters but I am glad that they are okay (for now). I think this makes them safer than anyone on earth right now (again for now).
I mentioned in the last gameplay chapter that the ISS was moved above the debris field by its emergency thrusters, so they're fine for now. The problem is maintaining the atmosphere and getting food, since it is now impossible to resupply the astronauts.

Happy memories of the past, bittersweet hopes for the future after dealing with unpleasant matters. Elias is on full delusions, but I wonder how much Theodor has convinced himself about Thea's contributions.

Happy memories of the past, bittersweet hopes for the future after dealing with unpleasant matters. Elias is on full delusions, but I wonder how much Theodor has convinced himself about Thea's contributions.
I'm sure he genuinely believes his own lie that he alone did the science project and is truly a visionary out to change the world. Would feed into his ego and greed and spur him to do what he has done so far.

I get the feeling those poor astronauts are gonna be stranded there for good whoever wins this war, all that debris is gonna take time to clear, I'm reminded of that one astronaut story from World War Z, if the ISS crew can still observe the planet, they're probably observing all of it go down, powerless to do anything but watch everything unfold. Truly a tragedy.

I get the feeling those poor astronauts are gonna be stranded there for good whoever wins this war, all that debris is gonna take time to clear, I'm reminded of that one astronaut story from World War Z, if the ISS crew can still observe the planet, they're probably observing all of it go down, powerless to do anything but watch everything unfold. Truly a tragedy.
This will no doubt be remembered as one of the worst tragedies of the war. A dozen astronauts stranded in the heavens, powerless to do anything as their food and air run out and the world below them is engulfed in nuclear fire.

This comment is a bit late I know know, but it really does seem like China will become the new world superpower after Jerusalem falls given Wilhelmina's plan to dismantle the Roman military, likely including the overseas bases given what happened to India. I could definitely see the Reich turning inwards too when taking into account other stuff like the monarchy becoming a ceremonial position and deradicalizing the population along with restoring meritocracy. Now I do see where Wilhelmina is coming from and think she'll be a great Kaiserin, but it seems there are a lot of holes in her plan that she clearly hasn't thought through yet, especially since Han's China becoming the world hegemon is not really any better than Jerusalem, not to mention that her plan of trusting the Roman people to stop government overreach does not work when it was their radicalization and indifference in the first place that caused this mess. That said, those reforms Wilhelmina is suggesting will definitely need to implemented, as the rest of the world will definitely want the Reich to pay for its sins with interest.

Also damn, it suck to be those astronauts up in the International Space Station. I don't see this war being only a few months long either but instead being a years long endeavor, so I don't fancy there odds of not starving to death or running out of oxygen. Not to mention it must sucks for those astronauts' home countries to either become totalitarian nightmares or get nuked into smitheries, with their loved ones having significant chances of either being dead or tormented.

Last edited:
This comment is a bit late I know know, but it really does seem like China will become the new world superpower after Jerusalem falls given Wilhelmina's plan to dismantle the Roman military, likely including the overseas bases given what happened to India. I could definitely see the Reich turning inwards too when taking into account other stuff like the monarchy becoming a ceremonial position and deradicalizing the population along with restoring meritocracy. Now I do see where Wilhelmina is coming from and think she'll be a great Kaiserin, but it seems there are a lot of holes in her plan that she clearly hasn't thought through yet, especially since Han's China becoming the world hegemon is not really any better than Jerusalem, not to mention that her plan of trusting the Roman people to stop government overreach does not work when it was their radicalization and indifference in the first place that caused this mess. That said, those reforms Wilhelmina is suggesting will definitely need to implemented, as the rest of the world will definitely want the Reich to pay for its sins with interest.

Also damn, it suck to be those astronauts up in the International Space Station. I don't see this war being only a few months long either but instead being a years long endeavor, so I don't fancy there odds of not starving to death or running out of oxygen. Not to mention it must sucks for those astronauts' home countries to either become totalitarian nightmares or get nuked into smitheries, with their loved ones having significant chances of either being dead or tormented.
Wilhelmina's heart is in the right place, but her plans are focused on solutions that focus on the Reich, not the larger world. She did mention including the UN as part of her reforms, but she hasn't yet addressed how to reform the UN to do that. And Han has to be dealt with eventually. As a firm believer in Sinocentrism, he would welcome the Reich, India, and Russia being politically neutered in the global community. This war really is the worst of both worlds. Focusing on defeating one of the sides would help the other get even stronger, and there's no avoiding that.

The ISS is now simultaneously the best and worst place anyone can be during this war. On one hand, you will be out of the immediate line of fire and won't die to a nuke or invading army. On the other hand, you'll slowly run out of air and food and have to watch as your country and everyone you know there get nuked or worse.

She did mention including the UN as part of her reforms, but she hasn't yet addressed how to reform the UN to do that.
Maybe the UN can be reformed into the United Federation of Nations or UFN?

And Han has to be dealt with eventually. As a firm believer in Sinocentrism, he would welcome the Reich, India, and Russia being politically neutered in the global community. This war really is the worst of both worlds. Focusing on defeating one of the sides would help the other get even stronger, and there's no avoiding that.
I guess in a ironic way that not only did the deaths of Georg and Horst brought about the rise of the Eimerica Federation and the Srivijayan Commonwealth but the death of the Reich by the Committee and the eventual restructuring under Wilhelmina (hopefully) might lead to a Sinocentric world after all. The Committee are really good at shooting themselves in the foot by trying to kill off the Hohenzollern's aren't they?

Also in the event that the Committee falls I do wonder what is going to happen to Penglai since I think it was one of the only successor state's of the Chinese Empire that sided with the Committee in this war?

Maybe the UN can be reformed into the United Federation of Nations or UFN?
I don't think I'll go for a name change, and these days I want to keep out of universe references to a minimum (too similar to Star Trek's "United Federation of Planets").
I guess in a ironic way that not only did the deaths of Georg and Horst brought about the rise of the Eimerica Federation and the Srivijayan Commonwealth but the death of the Reich by the Committee and the eventual restructuring under Wilhelmina (hopefully) might lead to a Sinocentric world after all. The Committee are really good at shooting themselves in the foot by trying to kill off the Hohenzollern's aren't they?
Fits right in with the progression of fascist regimes where they inevitably shoot themselves in the foot and collapse under their own contradictions and short-sighted policies.
Also in the event that the Committee falls I do wonder what is going to happen to Penglai since I think it was one of the only successor state's of the Chinese Empire that sided with the Committee in this war?
Penglai would keep fighting and live or die on its own. But if Jerusalem falls, then that would allow the Chinese navy to enter the Indian Ocean, surround Penglai, and then either starve it out or easily invade all of the major cities. Han would want to punish Penglai for siding with Jerusalem against him and the Chinese civilization he claims to represent.

Time

Music Hall, Ali Qapu - 1:00 PM

The Music Hall looked the same as it did forty years ago. It really hadn’t changed in the centuries since it was built. The rooms were still decorated in the same styles they were when Wilhelmina last visited. The plaster was carved in such a way that in some areas it seemed like pots and vases were embedded in the walls, and in other areas circular niches had been arranged in a geometrically pleasing pattern to enhance and clearly carry music across the room. But the niches were made for instrumental music or traditional songs, so the experience wasn’t the same for modern music from modern players. Turned out Gunduz had similar tastes in music. Her music player wasn’t as old as the Walkman, but it was still vintage: a 25-year-old model from 2013. The music echoing off the walls currently was slightly older.

It’s been many years since I last listened to this track. I can’t help but smile every time I hear it. Even though its game came out long after I stopped visiting Isfahan, I associated it with my time here. The times we rolled out the rug on the front lawn and pointed out shapes in the clouds. Crowded around to play Final Fantasy VII on a small screen because her dad needed to use the large TVs for official business. Helped each other with homework. Celebrated each other’s birthdays. Gossiped about school and friends. All from a time long gone. It’s time I’ll never get back.

“Hey, Four-Eyes?” Gunduz waved a hand in front of Wilhelmina’s face. “Your move.”

Wilhelmina blinked and focused on the chessboard. “It is?”

Gunduz sighed. “Yes, Willie, it has been for the last ten seconds.”

We’re not timed though!

“Why are we even playing chess?” Wilhelmina complained. “Neither of us is particularly good at it.”

“It’s a civilized game for civilized people,” Gunduz said, “And don’t say you’re not good at it. Fire Emblem is donghua chess with extra steps.”

“At least Fire Emblem has fun stories, characters, and mechanics,” Wilhelmina said, “And don’t you play Valkyria Chronicles? The one where you run everyone over in a tank?”

“Who told you I play that?”

“Franz told me you asked the developers to secretly send you an advance copy of each new game.”

Not to mention the fact that you personally launched a massive PR campaign to save the series from death 20 years ago, and it worked. You think nobody noticed an obscure tactical role-playing game suddenly turning into a major brand within a year? I most certainly did.

“Franz, you traitor.” Gunduz gritted her teeth and shook a fist.

“That’s what you get for sending him my way,” Wilhelmina said, “Obviously, he’d share what he knows with me.”

Gunduz indirectly introduced me to Franz. Put in a good word to have him transfer to Georgtown for graduate school, where I was. He told me after I pressed him on our second date.

“Funny enough, I heard you met Franz the same way your parents met,” Gunduz said, “At a tzykanion game.”

We hit it off after the game. I don’t like tzykanion—definitely not as much as Mom did—but he made the game bearable.

“You and Shahrokh didn’t meet the same way?” Wilhelmina said.

Once I learned her role in setting us up, I introduced Gunduz to her husband. An unassuming architecture student named Shahrokh, from Tehran. His dad and grandfather were Artesh officers, but Shahrokh wanted nothing to do with the military. Wonder how the proposal went. “Please marry me, Gunduz!” “Maybe if you didn’t smell like cardboard and sawdust.” Even nowadays you’d never find him in the war room. He’s always at City Hall, discussing expansion plans and neighborhood revitalization efforts.

“No, we ran into each other after class one day,” Gunduz said, “Relatively mundane.”

Keep telling yourself that.

She leaned back in her chair. “So, Willie, I’ve had something on my mind for the last 40 years.”

I think I know what you’re going to say, and I don’t like it.

“Why didn’t you visit? Why didn’t we meet up?”

Without thinking, Wilhelmina recited her excuse and immediately regretted it. “I was busy.”

Gunduz crossed her arms and puffed. “Sure…you were busy. You were busy during your mom’s funeral, so you had no choice but to turn me away from your door. The only way we’ve kept in touch since then was through Franz and Shahrokh. Franz at least was nice enough to visit every now and then. But you never showed up.”

“I…was busy.” That was the only thing Wilhelmina could say.

“Surely you don’t mean that. We were best friends. We did almost everything together. We were inseparable back then. So what the frak happened?”

Wilhelmina remained silent. But her mind remained abuzz with activity. I don’t know what to say. I don’t even know why I stopped visiting. Why we drifted apart. Why we stayed apart. It’s definitely my fault. What should I tell her? I don’t think there’s anything I can say that sounds good.

“To tell you the truth, Gunduz, I don’t know. The excuses are more for myself than you. I tell myself I’m busy with college and stuff. With handling Mom and Dad’s deaths. Dealing with the nobles. Trying to make a name for myself after I was no longer in line to inherit. Being with Franz and raising Joseph. Or maybe because I didn’t want to address the elephant in the room that was your dad.”

Shah Golpari had been diagnosed with cancer a few months before the ceremony, and none of us knew until a couple weeks after. He passed away before the year was done, leaving Gunduz’s brother Hassan to take over. Hassan threw himself completely into his duties as shah, which was so him. He was a huge workaholic, always staying up late to do, as he always told us, what had to be done. Maybe that’s why his hair started graying in his 30s. He died in 2023. Then Gunduz took over because he never even married or had kids—they always said he was married to the job. Now that I think about it, I may have made things worse for Gunduz. She learns her dad has cancer, her brother then takes over as shah and loses himself in his job, and her best friend abandons her. There’s no way to frame that any differently.

“You could’ve at least written to me,” Gunduz said, “Said something. Anything.”

“I know I could have,” Wilhelmina said, “But I didn’t. I didn’t know what to say. I thought it would hurt you. And I know what you’re going to say: not writing hurt you even more. And you’re right. It did.”

Wilhelmina let the music wash over her. A tingle ran up her spine and through her head. She thought she could hear the distant echoes of two girls playing. She grinned nostalgically. “Sometimes, I wish I could go back to those days. The times when everything was happier. When Mom and Dad and Golpari and Hassan were still around. When we were still together. I don’t know why those days ended. I don’t know why I ended them. But the fact is…they’re over. And they’ll never come back. I would like to apologize, but I know you wouldn’t accept it that easily.”

“You’re certainly right about that,” Gunduz said, “So don’t count on it anytime soon.”

“I definitely deserve that.” Wilhelmina looked at the chessboard. It hadn’t been touched at all. Might as well make a move. We’ve spent long enough dawdling.

She reached for a piece, but Gunduz suddenly swept the board off the table. The pieces scattered in all directions on the floor.

“How about no?” she said.

“I thought you said it was my turn!”

“Let’s stop pretending we’re good at chess,” Gunduz said, “We’re not fooling each other. We look like a bunch of middle-aged idiots who don’t know what we’re doing.”

“So nothing’s changed in 40 years,” Wilhelmina said, “I knew you’re still the same girl from back then!”

Gunduz reddened. “Hey, I’ll have you know I’m way more responsible now. Definitely not Princess I-would-rather-play-Persona-instead-of-pressing-my-imperial-claim.”

“Come on, that was just a phase!”

“Surrrreeee that was.” Gunduz rolled her eyes.

And I hadn’t played Persona Emblem in years!

Wilhelmina looked at the scattered chess pieces. “So…what do we do now?”

“Well, as you said, we’re not getting back the time we lost. But how about using the time we still have?” Gunduz got up and walked to the other side of the room. She began rummaging through an old closet.

“What are you doing?” Wilhelmina asked.

“You assumed I was a killjoy,” Gunduz said, “You thought I lost my sense of fun somewhere along the way.”

“I mean, you do give off that vibe,” Wilhelmina said, “Especially in light of what happened to your dad and brother.”

Gunduz nodded. “I have to keep up appearances to the public. I have a reputation to uphold, if you didn’t notice. But…that’s to the public.”

She finally found what she was looking for. An old console from 40 years ago. Wilhelmina’s eyes widened.

“No…that can’t be…you saved it…after all these years?”

Gunduz connected the console to a TV and booted it up, revealing something Wilhelmina hadn’t seen in a long time.

Final Fantasy VII

Press Start to continue

c. Square 1997

“Did you really think I would finish that save file before you came back?” Gunduz said. “Even though letting it sit there got sillier as the years went by?”

She loaded the save, and the game loaded. They were located exactly where Wilhelmina remembered. A forest on the overworld. Elly was in her Gear, in all her late ‘90s blocky glory.

“Why don’t we continue where we left off?” Gunduz handed the controller to Wilhelmina. “You go first.”

Wilhelmina took the controller. She never thought she would hold this controller again. It felt just like it did 40 years ago. Squeaky and beaten up, flaking paint in some areas, buttons which were hard to press or were close to falling off…it was a horrible controller, but it was their controller.

“Just like old times?” Wilhelmina said.

Gunduz smiled. “Just like old times.”

Downtown Isfahan - 2:00 PM

Wilhelmina’s car pulled up in front of the school. There was now a much heavier military presence than earlier. She even saw a tank parked next to the gate.

So…the Shepherds of the Future seriously tried to abduct kids from this school. I should’ve seen that coming.

The kids were already at the curb. Friedrich looked disappointed, while Ilyana’s annoyed expression changed to one of frustration and anger the moment she saw Wilhelmina.

Well…I have a lot of explaining to do to. And it’s literally their first day back at school in a long time…

She parked in front of them and rolled down the window. “I know what you’re going to say, and I’m sorry.”

“The next school better last longer!” Ilyana said.

“I hope I make some more friends,” Friedrich said.

They got in the car.

“As an apology, I’ve brought something for you!” Wilhelmina took out a box of pastries. “French pastries, from my friend Angelica. Try them out!”

The two kids each took a brioche and ate. Friedrich immediately smiled, and the brioche disappeared into his mouth instantly.

“I love it!” he said.

Ilyana ate her brioche slower. “It’s delicious, but it still doesn’t excuse today.”

Come on, can you at least act your age for one day?! My job is already hard enough as it is.

“I know,” Wilhelmina said.

“So how was your day?” Ilyana said.

Shouldn’t I be asking you that?

“Well…” Wilhelmina began. “I had a very fun day today, where I talked to a lot of friends, both old and new…”

• 3Like
Reactions: