• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Multiple timelines... ah, my love of the Zero Escape series will serve me well here. Helps that I'm reading 'Annonia and Iron' too.

Looks like I guessed correctly. I wonder how long before more people from alternate timelines start popping up. Maybe a second Markos Angelos or a more peaceful Gandhi. :D
Fingers crossed for Gandhi.

I knew when you mentioned the Annionas here there was bound to be a reference to the other AAR about them, makes it more cool to since I'm also reading the other one.

Chapter 337: The Visitor, Part 5

Karacakoy, Provisional Seat of the Provisional Government - 4 March 1941

Kaiser Otto woke up to the sound of...well, nothing. Roosters crowed in the distance. Cows mooed and pigs snorted. Tractor engines hummed. And some fishermen were shouting as they prepared to take their boats out to sea.

And yet he still heard the sound of boots thumping on the ground and his officers barking out orders, reminding him that he was in the provisional seat of the true imperial government.

His room was quite plain. The walls were concrete and gray. The floor had a basic carpet covering a concrete floor. The dirty windows at least we're made of bulletproof glass. He remembered Ludendorff apologizing for the conditions of his room. It was a far cry from the luxury of Brandenburg Palace, but his only other option was sleeping outside on the dirt and risking murder not only by Angeloi assassins but also common criminals who had no respect for him.

He got dressed and walked outside, where his detail of Varangians saluted and took up positions around him. Karacakoy was a small rural village not unlike those in the German and Greek countrysides. The only things distinguishing this village from its neighbors were the Eastern Slavic and Zunist temples and the Turkish being spoken by most of its inhabitants.

Turks had a long and complicated history with the Reich. When the Seljuks were driven from Mesopotamia and Syria, the Turks settled there had been expelled. Later, when the Timurids conquered the Iranian and Turkish heartlands they sent waves of refugees in the Reich's direction. By then the Reich's traditions of tolerance and fairness had been mostly established, and Kaiser Martin settled them in villages throughout the Reich. Karacakoy was one of them. After Persepolis and the ensuing collapse of the Timurid Empire many of the Persians chose to go home, but since the Turkish homeland was promptly conquered and colonized by India the Turks mostly stayed in the Reich. Widespread assimilation and Germanization soon followed. By the start of the war most of the Turkish community had been absorbed into the German and Greek population. Karacakoy was one of the last of the original Turkish villages established in the 1390s. And despite the decline of the Turkish community, life in this village carried on as normal.

In the middle of the village, next to the small fishermen's harbor, sat a building complex that looked completely out of place. Modern steel bunkers, from which the imperial eagle flag fluttered in the morning breeze, towered over the small local houses. The dirt road gave way to pavement, and horse-drawn carriages were parked next to civilian and military cars. Next to farmers tending to their crops, soldiers drilled in formation.

He walked inside one of the bunkers, which was so new there were still people working on the inside. That was probably why Ludendorff put him in the middle of the village. Or maybe he was still fuming from yesterday's argument.

He found Ludendorff and the other generals and admirals in what passed for a war room. Everybody sat on plain wooden chairs around a basic table on which several maps of the area immediately surrounding Constantinople and Karacakoy were randomly spread out. Men and women sat in front of large computing machines and radios, reading output printouts and listening to messages intently. Phones constantly rang, bringing with them news from the front lines.

An attendant placed a cup of coffee in front of him as he sat down at the table.

"Morning, gentlemen," said Otto, sipping his coffee. "Ugh, I'm still not used to this Turkish coffee."

"Morning, Your Majesty," said Ludendorff.

"Let's get to business," said Otto, "How goes the front?"

"The western front with Bulgaria and Macedonia is relatively stable," said General Bulow, "But we're not making any progress there. They can't make any progress either. Unless we retake the capital we won't have the industrial and supply capabilities to break through."

"There are troops stuck in Nicomedia and the Marmara coast region," said General Franco, "They're also holding, and were diverting as many as we can for the assault on Constantinople. The troops in Athens have performed admirably. The city's still under our control, as are Bucharest and Damascus."

"But we can't do much while the Angeloi hold Constantinople," said Ludendorff, placing a dozen Angeloi counters on the Queen of Cities, "Almost as soon as they left they started reinforcing the capital from the sea and air. They've based an entire fleet and two air wings in the city to supplement a large number of troops, the exact number of which we were unable to determine. They've reinforced not only the old Theodosian Walls but just about every single wall and entrance and exit in and out of the city with dozens of artillery pieces, .50-caliber gun turrets, and mines. They're expecting us to throw everything we've got into an attempt to retake Constantinople, which they expect to fail and open up Thrace to invasion."

"But if we just sit here, they'll attack us first," said Otto, "And we don't have the manpower or equipment to defend this village, believe it or not."

"Then what do you suggest we do?" Franco asked.

"Extend the draft," said Otto, "Don't implement mandatory conscription just yet, but we need as many soldiers as we can get. Use all of our air wings to establish air superiority over Constantinople in preparation for an attack. Horthy, what's the status of the navy?"

"Not good, sir," replied the admiral, "Our main carrier fleet has gone missing off the coast of Hispania, presumably lost with all hands. Our main battle fleets are currently engaging Angeloi ships in the Bosphorus. The remaining ships are stationed in Athens, but they're not seaworthy and are too far away to help out."

"Ludendorff, where are Panagiotos and Lettow-Vorbeck?"

"Last I heard before we lost the Suez, Panagiotos had run out of fuel and was stuck in Indochina and Lettow-Vorbeck was stationed on a random island near Papua. All fleets that aren't in the Mediterranean have been destroyed."

"Guess it's just us, then," said Otto, "Get as many troops as you can and tell me the soonest you can attempt to retake the capital. Dismissed."

The generals saluted as he left the room.

He headed over to his temporary office, where mounds of paperwork awaited him. It was just him and a few ragtag men up against an evil empire that was once his. The tables were turned against him. Two years ago, Angelos was the rebel. Now he was the rebel. Angelos held hostage almost all of the Reich and its armies and factories. He had nothing. Not even his wife. For the first time since his father was murdered he was utterly alone.

He remembered his lonely childhood. His first memory was reading about the assassination of Uncle Franz Ferdinand (not the same guy who Angelos had forced to be a puppet Kaiser). In the next few weeks things were a blur. He rarely saw his own parents. His father was busy in Berlin being groomed to succeed Franz Joseph, who he remembered as "that grumpy old man." His mother was frequently absent, accompanying his father to Berlin. He was raised in Vienna by a group of old men and women assigned to be his mentors and tutors. For two years he was constantly drilled in everything from horse riding to archery to calculus to music composition. The pressure on him to be the perfect heir was terrifying, and his mental breakdowns were so frequent that they had to hire Freud himself to treat him.

Then his father was murdered by a Hashshashin acting on orders from the Chinese-installed Persian government, and at six or seven he became the Kaiser. He remembered the day that happened as if it were yesterday. Several servants entered his room, some of them crying and others with a serious look on their face.

"What did I do?" he remembered saying.

"Nothing," said one servant, bowing low, "It's your dad."

"Where's my dad?" he had said.

One servant had hesitated. "He...he's in Heaven now."

"Daddy is dead?"

"...yes."

And then he had stared at them for the next minute, watching as they bowed before him. They had told him he was the Kaiser now. They took him to another room, dressed him in fancy clothes, and put him on the old throne chair for people to kneel before him. And then the pressure on him only intensified. More and more lessons. More and more training. More and more practice. More and more restrictions. And of course there was Angelos as the regent. At one point he even ran away and hid on the streets of Berlin. He didn't want to deal with the immense responsibilities of being the most powerful man in the world.

Victoria Louise had turned him around. They met in 1921 after the signing of the Toronto Accords ended the last battles of the war, allowing thousands of men to come home. Among them was Duke Franz Ferdinand, the Maximist claimant who had been overseeing the evacuation of Tsarist forces to Sweden and helping to organize their government in exile. Angelos held a ball to celebrate the end of all fighting around the world. He first saw her on a balcony, gazing up into the stars. When he tried to start a conversation she simply veered into a discussion on whether or not Mozart was better than Beethoven. He lost that discussion, but she didn't care. They were still kids, so of course Angelos and the other adults forbid them from dancing. After the ball, she returned with her father to the Maximist estate in Saxony, while Otto went to Vienna, but they kept in touch with letters almost every week. Finally, he had someone who really understood him. She made getting used to his responsibilities as Kaiser far easier.

Of course, there were many hardships over the next few years. The General Strike of 1926 toppled Reich allies and enemies around the world and installed radical dictatorships in their place. There were times when he feared the strike might escalate into a revolution, but Victoria Louise, who had by then gained her father's permission to move to Berlin, helped him get through the tough times.

Almost as soon as he came of age another crisis hit his empire. The Great Depression decimated the world economy, and the Reich's was the hardest hit. While many despaired and some even jumped out of skyscrapers to their deaths, Victoria Louise told him not to worry. He would get through this. And he did. With Adenauer's help he implemented fiscal policies to jumpstart the economy and gave fireside chats over radio to the nation, soothing the people's fears. Unfortunately Angelos claimed most of the credit for that, which led to this blasted war.

Angelos knew that Victoria Louise was the one thing keeping him going when things got rough. And Otto knew that. For the first time in twenty years, he didn't have Victoria Louise by his side. He had forgotten what it was like to be alone. He didn't know what to do now. One wrong move and he might lose her forever.

He sighed. "Get to work," he told himself, "She would have wanted me to do at least that."

If Heydrich as much as touched her, he would personally tear him to pieces and get the Inquisitipn to cast a spell to send him directly to Hell.

Constantinople - 5 March 1941, early morning

Mihailo's phone rang, waking him up in the middle of the night.

He sleepily picked up the phone. "What is it?" he snapped.

"It's me," said Octavia, "We're having an awkward situation up here."

"Don't worry, I'll come up right away," replied Mihailo.

"Don't," said Octavia, "It's awkward, but we've got everything under control. Anyways, I've got a mission for you. I know that the city's only been under occupation for a couple days, but this is important."

"I'm listening," said Mihailo.

"This is going to sound hard, but you need to make sure the Kaiser is safe."

"That's easy," said Mihailo, "He already fled the city, abandoning not just all of us but also his wife."

"Sometimes I wonder why you signed up with the Resistance."

"Better dead than fascist."

"So...I'll call you back when I got another mission for you. Keep in touch. Stay safe."

Octavia hung up.

Mihailo sighed and went back to sleep. Abandoned, again. Just as his father abandoned him when he ran off to be possessed by an angel. Just as his girlfriend left him. Everybody had abandoned him. All he had was the Resistance now. Just him and a few rebels defending a lost cause.

Northern Illyria - 6 March 1941

A highway snaked through the imposing Balkan landscape. The pavement twisted and turned and rose and fell with each and every mountain, valley, river, and lake. As he drove down the highway on his way north, Wilhelm couldn't help but wonder what made this rugged wasteland so valuable. In many timelines the Balkans were among the deadliest battlefields on the planet, but here they had been peaceful since the unification of the Reich, aside from the chaos of the Anarchy, the Fifty Years' War, and the Maximist War. And then of course there was this war, which laid waste to the region with such ferocity as hadn't been seen in centuries.

He was jolted from his contemplation by a sudden sharp pain in the back of his head. He pulled over to the side, or what he thought was the side. For some reason he was now on the left side of the highway, not the right, and surrounded by cars, which honked in annoyance at him.

He quickly corrected himself and pulled over to the left, where he got out and looked around. He thought he was driving along an empty highway through a landscape filled with the scars of war. But now the highway was filled with cars driving on the left side of the road, and the countryside had no signs of battles being fought. Billboards rose over the highway, advertising products he was not familiar with.

He blinked, and that was all gone. He was on the right side of the road again, and there were no cars or billboards in sight.

What...what was that? Gavrilo asked.

I have no idea, replied Wilhelm.

He got back into his car and drove off.

Vienna - 7 March 1941

Uriel suddenly tensed up.

"What is it?" Engelbert asked.

"I'm sensing another breach in the fabric of reality," said Uriel, "This is not good."

"You mean somebody else is crossing over into this universe?"
Senator Otto asked.

"It appears so," said Uriel, "If that is the case, that only makes our situation even worse. It'll accelerate the rate of convergence."

"Where is this person crossing over?" Otto asked. "Maybe we could find them and send them back across."

"Even if you could get to Delhi, I doubt you have the means to cross between universes."

"That's not my concern," said Engelbert, picking up his hat, "I'm off to a Resistance briefing. Make sure your spells cover the entire building, including the basement. Raphael's needed at the briefing."

He left the room.

"Let's hope the people trying to capture you haven't followed you here," said Uriel.

"I doubt it," said Otto, "If they crossed over in India I think it's fair to say they don't know who I am. Wait, how did this individual cross over if Gabriel only had one grace with him?"

"Gabriel must be powering up the angel tablet," said Uriel, "Oh, this is even worse than convergence."

"What?"

Uriel looked straight at him. "Gabriel is trying to become God."

Delhi - 8 March 1941

Gandhi and his officers looked inside the holding cell, where they had put their guest.

"He looks a bit like you," said General Bose, "Doesn't he?"

"Shut up," said Gandhi, "Everybody in this room knows he is an exact duplicate of me."

Indeed, the cell contained another Gandhi, only he was still heavily drunk and made no sense at all.

"Not a single word of this is to be leaked to the press, Shekha," said Gandhi, "If word gets out of me apparently being a raving drunk lunatic the Muslims and Bolsheviks will tear us apart."

"Yes, my neta," said Shekha, "What should we do with him?"

"I don't want to kill myself," said Gandhi, "Obviously not myself, and to an extent that is me. Keep him here until he sobers up, then prepare him for interrogation. I will conduct the interrogation."

"But sir!" Bose said.

"You heard me," said Gandhi, "I need him alive and unharmed...for now."

---
Okay, that last part wasn't part of the original plan but I'll roll with it.

Gabriel trying to become God? Oh boy, that will not go well for him when the G-Man and his son return from their extended vacation (If they ever return that is, where is Jesus anyway? More importantly, where is Saint Gunhilda while all the crazy WW2 with angels are going on?). So another Gandhi appears eh? That will not go well for the Indian faction if the alternate guy disappears.

Gabriel trying to become God? Oh boy, that will not go well for him when the G-Man and his son return from their extended vacation (If they ever return that is, where is Jesus anyway? More importantly, where is Saint Gunhilda while all the crazy WW2 with angels are going on?). So another Gandhi appears eh? That will not go well for the Indian faction if the alternate guy disappears.
I'm not sure if I want to include God and/or Jesus because I might offend somebody with my depiction of either or both of them. As for Saint Gunhilda, be patient, she'll show up eventually...

A monarchist pacifist Gandhi vs. evil Nazi republican Gandhi? It's probably going to be a fun sideplot but likely won't impact the overall plot significantly.

Excellent, a second Gandhi. A drunk at that. This should be interesting. :D

I'm starting to question if God is even around at all in this world. Perhaps he doesn't exist here and not even the angels know he's not real. :eek:

Excellent, a second Gandhi. A drunk at that. This should be interesting. :D

I'm starting to question if God is even around at all in this world. Perhaps he doesn't exist here and not even the angels know he's not real. :eek:
He probably does, but he's been AWOL for so long that even the angels are starting to doubt he was even there to begin with. Atheist angels...that would be interesting. I wonder if they'd get along with the equalists.:p

I'm not sure if I want to include God and/or Jesus because I might offend somebody with my depiction of either or both of them.
Those people you would've already offended with your depiction of angels. And I hope this is CIV I Ghandi

Reactions:
Interesting seeing Otto's assent to the throne from his perspective. Good way to expand on his character.

Gabriel is going for godhood? Can't say I'm surprised. Considering how lax this story's god is, I can't even say whether or not this is bad news.

Those people you would've already offended with your depiction of angels. And I hope this is CIV I Ghandi
Point taken. I just don't feel like I have a good reason to put God/Jesus in the story as since they're omnipotent and omniscient they'd resolve basically everything immediately, making further plot meaningless. And then I would likely have to go down the slippery slope of "why didn't they intervene sooner" and such.

This timeline's Gandhi will be exactly like Civ I Gandhi. The other timeline version is from the Anniona 'verse. Though I wish it was the actual Civ Gandhi.:p

Point taken. I just don't feel like I have a good reason to put God/Jesus in the story as since they're omnipotent and omniscient they'd resolve basically everything immediately, making further plot meaningless. And then I would likely have to go down the slippery slope of "why didn't they intervene sooner" and such.

This timeline's Gandhi will be exactly like Civ I Gandhi. The other timeline version is from the Anniona 'verse. Though I wish it was the actual Civ Gandhi.:p

Well our God is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient, and you don't see him intervening during the hard times. There could just be some unwritten rule where God doesn't intervene because it'd conflict with his desire for his creations to possess free will. If the angels and humans destroy each other, it's their fault and their decision to do so.

Including God and/or Jesus would be quite the Deus Ex Machina indeed

Reactions:
Chapter 338: The Visitor, Part 6

Karacakoy

Otto looked up from his desk as he heard the sound of air raid sirens blaring throughout the village. Soldiers and officers rushed throughout the bunker, issuing orders to each other. Two Varangians appeared in front of his desk, telling him that Imperium bombers had been sighted approaching Karacakoy.

They rushed him to the lowest level of the bunker, where he remained for the next hour or so. The ground shook as each bomb landed and detonated. Planes screeched overhead and antiaircraft guns fired back at them. Occasionally he heard the sound of a plane diving towards the ground and crashing, no doubt a result of being hit.

The air raid finally ended as the last plane faded away into the distance. Once the Varangians received an "all clear" signal from Ludendorff, Otto was allowed to return to his office. Most of the bunker was unharmed, but when he went outside, he saw utter devastation. Most of the village had been flattened. He saw craters where houses once were. The temples to the Slavic gods and Zun were completely destroyed. Dead bodies were scattered throughout the wreckage, many of them not even whole. Villagers ran around, praying to their god or gods and pleading to the nearest officer to evacuate them.

The briefing later that day went by quite fast. He didn't pay much attention to what Ludendorff said but just knew that the imperial fleets had defended the Bosphorus, preventing the Angeloi from crossing over into Anatolia and linking up with the Ethiopians. In addition, enemy attacks on the cities of Samarkovo and Syrallo had failed, with loyalist forces liberating the latter. Two days later, loyalist legions in Anatolia started breaking out of the Marmara pocket, meeting with success in all engagements.

But his mind went back to the dead villagers. There were so many dead, and nobody really cared. The Angeloi of course were at fault because they dropped the bombs on them, but Ludendorff and the generals were also at fault for not doing more to help them. Otto was at fault because he just stood there watching them die. Why did he get to survive when his citizens were slaughtered? And now more were going to be slaughtered: he had approved of an initiative to conscript every single able-bodied fighting age man into the legions to assist in the assault on Constantinople.

He realized that this was the price to pay during a war. He couldn't save everybody. Sacrifices had to be made. In sending these men off to liberate Constantinople, he would save their families from further death and destruction. He would have a greater chance of retaking the city. Their sacrifice would help him win the war.

But he still condemned himself. He was sending innocent men off to fight his war. What gave him the right to do that? Circumstances did not matter. What mattered was he was doing it. He was no better than the Angeloi he fought. And the most damning thing about it? He realized he was okay with it.
20161117120738_1.jpg
20161117120837_1.jpg
20161117121140_1.jpg
20161117121156_1.jpg
20161117121348_1.jpg
20161117121457_1.jpg

---

On the 16th of March, radio operators in Athens picked up a distress signal. While distress signals were rather common nowadays given the frequent sinking of Reich convoys by the Imperium, this was a military distress signal. And it was from two aircraft carriers believed lost several months ago off the Straits of Gibraltar: the SMS Romania and the SMS Richthofen. Patrol vessels quickly confirmed that the signal was legitimate when they found two heavily damaged aircraft carriers matching the lost ships' descriptions steaming towards Athens. They were being chased by an Imperium fleet which was soon driven away by aircraft from Athens. Once they had docked, the military confirmed that they were the missing ships. Their crews told a riveting story of how they survived.

Originally there were six carriers, assigned to defend the Straits of Gibraltar. When Hispania and Mauretania fell to the Angeloi, the Admiralty issued orders to retreat to Malta, but the order was never received. So the carriers held their position against overwhelming odds, taking down dozens of enemy ships sent their way. Finally, Admiral Burkhard von Hess, knowing that his ships could not last much longer, gave the order to retreat. What ensued was several weeks of continuous fighting as the fleet sailed through Angeloi-controlled waters on their way to Sardinia. Dozens of crewmen were killed and airplanes were shot down in the escape, but ultimately they reached Sardinia, only for an Abyssinian amphibious assault to force them out to sea again. Enemy aircraft sank two of the carriers in the Gulf of Gabes, off the coast of western Greece, and another was so heavily damaged that it didn't get far before its engine gave out and its weakened hull broke up. A third was cannibalized to save the last two ships from sinking. In order to get around the Angeloi-controlled Peloponnese, Hess sacrificed his remaining air wings to buy the ships time to escape. The Romania and the Richthofen were engaged in one last battle off the coast of Athens, and by then the ships were so heavily damaged that they had no way to shoot back and could barely move. It was a miracle that the Athenians saved them.

Repair efforts on the two carriers began at once, though it would be at least a year before they were seaworthy again. The story of the Romania and the Richthofen rapidly spread throughout the Reich, in both Angeloi-occupied and loyalist controlled areas. Their story of survival inspired the loyalists to fight on and proved to be a great boost to morale. Multiple movies, radio dramas, and TV shows would be made on the carriers' journey across the Mediterranean, and the crewmembers became heroes (though Otto was in no position to give them medals at the time).

20161117122113_1.jpg

An attempt to liberate Adrianople failed as the attacking legions were decimated by enemy aircraft. The Angeloi had almost uncontested air superiority over all of Thrace, killing thousands of loyalists.
20161117122719_1.jpg

The Ethiopians, meanwhile, had control over the seas. Abyssinian marines were reported storming the beaches of Tangiers, which fell two days later. Neighboring cities fell soon afterwards, and the local garrison fled to Ceuta. But an Abyssinian attack on the city routed the garrison again, forcing it to flee to Tangiers while Ceuta fell. And then the Abyssinians attacked Tangiers again, forcing them to flee back to Ceuta, where the cycle repeated until the last man was killed. The same thing happened with Sardinia, where tje Ethiopians slowly marched north, crushing all local resistance with impunity.

Further attacks on Thrace were repelled, again with heavy casualties on both sides, while the loyalists started closing the pockets in the middle of Thrace. The battle for Smyrna ended in a loyalist victory, and the city was liberated on the 22nd. The liberation of Smyrna was proof that the loyalist cause was not yet dead and that Axis control over Anatolia was not total, giving all loyalists cause for hope.
20161117123102_1.jpg
20161117161307_1.jpg
20161117161521_1.jpg
20161117161534_1.jpg
20161117161614_1.jpg
20161117161752_1.jpg
20161117161904_1.jpg
20161117162751_1.jpg
20161117162830_1.jpg
20161117162840_1.jpg
20161117163116_1.jpg

By the 25th of March, the last Angeloi pockets in Thrace, centered around the city of Arcadiopolis, had been liberated, and Ludendorff quickly deployed the freed up legions to the main fronts in Greece and Bulgaria. He himself personally took command of the assault against Constantinople, assigning his best generals to help him out. Among them were Franco, Bulow, Ludwig Mountbatten, Georg Marshall, and Georg Patton, who specialized in armor. Reinforcing the hundreds of tanks that made up the spearhead of the attack were tens of thousands of troops, several dozen bombers and fighters, and Horthy's battle fleets in the Bosphorus. Ludendorff expected the battle to be over by the end of the month, given the speed at which Bulgaria and Greece were being liberated.

Pattonhewitt.jpg

Patton (left) on the SMS Romania

20161117163139_1.jpg
20161117163652_1.jpg

But even as more and more reinforcements arrived, the attack ran into a few difficulties. The promised connection between the Smyrna pocket and Nicomedia never came. Angeloi bombers sank two aircraft carriers and forced the rest of the loyalist fleet to abandon its positions. And despite multiple victories in the west, Ethiopian reinforcements had turned the battle for Constantinople into a stalemate, pushing the loyalists out of the city proper and into the fields, where each side dug in for a rehash of the first Weltkrieg's trench warfare.
20161117163712_1.jpg
20161117163736_1.jpg
20161117164258_1.jpg
20161117164312_1.jpg

Ludendorff decided to put pressure on the Axis and get them to overplay their hand in Constantinople. He ordered his troops in Anatolia to strike east and south simultaneously, hitting Ethiopian and Imperium-occupied cities within hours of each other. He hoped that this offensive would catch the Axis troops off-guard and cause the troops in Constantinople to miscalculate.
20161117164514_1.jpg

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Ludendorff's prediction that the battle would be over by the end of the month was true, but it was the Angeloi who came out on top. Seventy thousand Angeloi and Ethiopians who had run out of supplies and fuel and had to deal with a hostile local population had held off over three hundred thousand loyalists who were vastly better equipped and trained. The Angeloi lost just 241 men in the battle, while the loyalists lost over five thousand men. It was a humiliating defeat for Ludendorff. Constantinople would remain in Angeloi hands for the time being.
20161118090641_1.jpg

The failed attack on Constantinople served to undo the morale boost provided by the survival of the Romania and Richthofen. Pessimism reigned throughout the loyalist-controlled territories, and Angeloi morale increased substantially. The loyalist offensive into the Balkans and Anatolia stalled as the Axis prepared for its own counteroffensive, one that would end the Reich for good.

---
So that was my fault. I saw that nothing was happening in the battle, so I thought it was a glitch. In trying to fix this glitch I accidentally right-clicked and surrendered the battle. Don't worry, I'll immediately start the battle up again once my troops recover.

Well our God is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient, and you don't see him intervening during the hard times. There could just be some unwritten rule where God doesn't intervene because it'd conflict with his desire for his creations to possess free will. If the angels and humans destroy each other, it's their fault and their decision to do so.
That or he's just really lazy.:p
Including God and/or Jesus would be quite the Deus Ex Machina indeed
Literally a Deus ex Machina.:D

Always a nuisance when you accidentally misclick. I've ended a battle or two in various games that way by accident. :rolleyes:

Well, it could be worse, you could have actually lost.

Always a nuisance when you accidentally misclick. I've ended a battle or two in various games that way by accident. :rolleyes:
Believe me, it happened much more often in previous stages of this megacampaign. But most of them didn't matter for the story. This, however, is just painful.
Well, it could be worse, you could have actually lost.
Implying I didn't and am not just trying to justify why my megacampaign ended in 1941 when I already have two sequels planned.:p

You have George Patton on your side, if Erwin Rommel ends up teaming with him, you could turn the tide, besides, Rome endures, It always has!

You have George Patton on your side, if Erwin Rommel ends up teaming with him, you could turn the tide, besides, Rome endures, It always has!
I may or may not have put Rommel on the Angeloi side...:eek:

Misclick aside, I'm still hopeful for this coming battle... mainly because I'm beginning to fear it may be your last shot.