• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So many neighbors trying to Westernize. Probably for the best, if they want to compete. I'm happy you took Exploration, as I'm eager to see more of the world. I believe Malacca has makde a grave mistake interrupting your trade.

I'm surprised the rest of Africa is vanilla, I had been expecting something different. Still, just means Mali and Abyssinia can expand in their continent.

So many neighbors trying to Westernize. Probably for the best, if they want to compete. I'm happy you took Exploration, as I'm eager to see more of the world. I believe Malacca has makde a grave mistake interrupting your trade.

I'm surprised the rest of Africa is vanilla, I had been expecting something different. Still, just means Mali and Abyssinia can expand in their continent.
It was always my plan to take exploration. I take exploration in every game I play.

I've also made it significantly easier to Westernize, reducing the tech disadvantage threshold from 7 to 3. Chinese tech nations will get a "Western focus" like decision for easier westernization.

Let me put it this way about Malacca: look at that war overview and tell me, "Malacca has a chance of surviving."

I didn't add anything else to Africa because I don't know what else to add. This is my mod, but I want to keep it as realistic as possible (so no Ulm with French ideas in Madagascar;)).

Mali has been quite aggressive recently, fabricating claims on everybody and conquering/making protectorates of basically every neighbor. In fifty years I can see them controlling the entire region. Abyssinia, though is quite timid. After destroying the small Coptic OPM next to it, it decided that its Muslim neighbors aren't worth the trouble of killing and decided to sit in Ethiopia for several years. Mali I can explain, as I made the AI slightly more aggressive in the defines file, but not Abyssinia.

Reactions:
Should be interesting trying to ferry all those armies over to Malacca. :p

I really just want to see what the Aztecs looks like already. :D

Chapter 50: The First Malaya Expedition
"Those pesky Muslims will pay for what they did!"
-Friedrich Augustin IV

"This is totally not a one-sided war."
-The Sultan of Malacca

2015-12-10_00003.jpg

The Kaiser had predicted that the nearby Sultanate of Siak would join the war against him, and he was right. Siak would only be a minor nuisance, though.

The only thing preventing the imperial legions from simply going over to Malacca and easily crushing all resistance was that the Reich had no fleets on its eastern coasts. As Friedrich Augustin had been a bit rash in sending the declaration of war, he had forgotten that his entire navy was presently docked in Pomerania and Mauretania, with Wolfram Ferdinand’s ships the only Reich vessels in the Indian Ocean; those ships were sent home quickly. He promptly ordered the construction of a large fleet in southern Arabia to serve two purposes: transport troops to Malacca and to destroy the Malaccan fleets. While the Indian Ocean Fleet was being constructed Friedrich Augustin ordered three legions to march over land, through Persia, India, and some random Southeast Asian states before arriving in Malacca. The shipbuilding boom also gave him an excuse to invest more funds into the Bureau of Naval Affairs.
2015-12-10_00004.jpg

Friedrich Augustin IV, tired of watching the Ecumenical Patriarch engage in decadent activities, ordered him to go outside and do something for once. After much “persuasion,” the Patriarch agreed to help found the Imperial University of Pressburg, the first Imperial University in Provincia Carpathia.
2015-12-10_00005.jpg
2015-12-10_00006.jpg

News reached Berlin that the Yavdi Empire and Ethiopia had completed their “Romanization” reforms and were now boasting about the increased efficiency of their administrations.
2015-12-10_00007.jpg

The first of the Reich invasion forces arrived in northern Malacca and quickly assaulted the city of Perak, which fell within a month. The Muslims made an attempt to liberate the city but were easily crushed by the Roman legions. In other news, Europe was in the middle of prospering times when more people began moving to cities and participating in the imperial economy.
2015-12-10_00008.jpg
2015-12-10_00009.jpg
2015-12-10_00010.jpg

News reached the Kaiser that the settlers sent to claim the land in the middle of the Sahara Desert had become self-sustaining and were able to function like a regular province. The new territory was quickly integrated into Provincia Afrika. Despite this success, the cartographers refused to change the Reich’s name placement on the official maps, much to the Kaiser’s annoyance.
2015-12-10_00011.jpg

In the steppes, the Yavdi Empire, despite its newly modernized military, was crushed by the Onggirat Khanate, which continued its expansion westward. Some in the Reich feared that the Tengri barbarians could even restore the glory of the ancient Saray Khaganate itself, but it would take a while before that could happen.
2015-12-10_00013.jpg
2015-12-10_00014.jpg
More Malaccan cities fell to the Reich, and the first forts fell too.
2015-12-10_00015.jpg
21 May 1466, Berlin

"No," said Friedrich Augustin.

"But sir-" said the Chancellor.

"I said no!" he repeated. "Now get those Muslims out of my sight! I've put up with them for the last twelve days, not a day more!"

The Malaccan peace delegation quickly left the room.

"Sir, they are offering war reparations," said the Chancellor.

"I have no use for war reparations," said Friedrich Augustin, "My treasury is already overflowing with money. Why do I need more money?"
2015-12-10_00016.jpg

"You do know that if your son was Kaiser he would just get them to concede defeat, right?" said the Chancellor.

"Yeah, what a pointless war, he said," said Friedrich Augustin, "Wait, how do you know that?"

The Chancellor's eyes glowed white. "Oh, you know very well how I know," said Raphael.

The Varangians rushed into the throne room after they heard their Kaiser's screams and saw a flash of white light, but by then Friedrich Augustin IV was already dead, his face burned beyond recognition. The Chancellor lay on the ground, muttering, "Where am I...what have I done?"

And in Heaven, Raphael looked down upon his creations, and he was pleased. "You have served your purpose, Chancellor," he said, "Time for you to die."
2015-12-10_00017.jpg

Last edited:
Yavdi and Abyssinia have already Westernized? Impressive. Hopefully it'll serve them well. The death of the Kaiser is tragic, but not horrible. The new Kaiser is very competent, and he should be able to keep things stable despite the stability drop.

Chapter 51: Heresy

“And here we go again…”
-Friedrich Augustin V

“Why me?!”
-The Chancellor

“Why??” shouted the former chancellor as he was led up to the gallows.

This was way too soon to have a funeral, a coronation, and an execution. They were in the middle of a costly war, and now Friedrich Augustin’s father happened to die. It was obvious that the Augustiad was ending soon with the deaths of first his grandfather and now his father. He would likely be the fifth and final Kaiser named Friedrich Augustin. He wondered when the angels would come after him.

The noose was tightened around the man’s neck. The executioner pulled the level, and the man dropped limply through the platform.

“Let this be a warning to all those who commit high treason,” read the executioner.

Friedrich Augustin could have pardoned the chancellor, but people would think he was crazy. He could not explain that an angel did it for several reasons. First, everybody knew that angels were good guys, not murderous madmen bent on causing the Apocalypse. Second, Raphael had framed his father’s murder to make it look like the chancellor had done the deed. He could not argue against that. The chancellor was doomed to die from the moment his father died.

Friedrich Augustin retreated to his personal quarters, inherited from his father and passed down through the generations since the days of Saint Wilhelmina. He pulled out a decaying book with a pentagram on its cover. The book was old, very old. His grandfather had bought the book several decades ago out of curiosity. Yes, it was still a curiosity, but Friedrich Augustin wondered if he could find anything inside it useful.

He opened the book and flipped through it. Most of the writing was in Latin, which he could read and write adequately. It was the font, though, which stumped him. The font was so extravagantly embellished that the Latin might as well be, say, Mongol. Oh well, he thought, better get reading. If he was to determine what he was up against, he had to determine what was in this blasted book.

He began copying some notes down…

Meanwhile, the Malaya Expedition continued to enjoy success, as the Reich legions effortlessly crushed what was left of the Malaccan army and captured more and more forts.

2015-12-10_00018.jpg
2015-12-10_00019.jpg
2015-12-10_00020.jpg
2015-12-10_00021.jpg

Sometime later…

The doors to the throne room swung open, and two men wearing royal crowns and dressed in armor over ornate red and yellow robes stormed in, obviously angry with each other. One’s armor had a lion on it, and the other’s had an eagle on it. Friedrich Augustin knew both of them immediately as Viceroy-King Friedrich X von Habsburg of Lothringia and Viceroy-King Albrecht III Achilles von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen of Gallia.

“Speak,” said Friedrich Augustin, kicking the occult book under his throne, “I am quite busy right now, so please be fast.”

“Your majesty,” said Friedrich, “Albrecht here refuses to acknowledge that—”

“That what?!” interrupted Albrecht Achilles. “That he has the right to steal my wife?!”

“You stole my sister!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“She agreed to come to my court!”

“Oh yeah she did!”

“QUIET!” shouted Friedrich Augustin. “Don’t make me bring Viceroy-Archduke Maximilian of Austria here! You know how well he likes to brag about Austria being higher up in the hierarchy than Lothringia or Gallia!”

Both men calmed down immediately.

“Now,” said Friedrich Augustin, “You are not here to argue in front of me. You are here for something else…maybe some support maybe?”

“Please!” said Friedrich, “My family’s been your most loyal vassal for four hundred years! Side with us! I have an unmarried daughter you can marry too!”

“Pfft, like he would fall for that classic Habsburg scheme,” said Albrecht Achilles, “Next thing you know the entire Habsburg family’s plotting to usurp the throne using that one small claim you gave them. I, however, am more loyal, as my family was your family’s first vassal. Did you read in the history books about the times when Friedrich von Hohenzollern and Friedrich von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen fought in the Crusades together?”

“They had a falling out, became rivals after disagreeing on the purpose of the crusades just outside of Jerusalem, and dueled each other once they got home, with my ancestor winning and sparing your ancestor,” said Friedrich Augustin, “So no.”

“That means you are going to support the Habsburgs!” shouted Friedrich triumphantly. “In your face Prussian upstarts! Osterreich uber alles!”

“Actually no,” said Friedrich Augustin, “I’m supporting nobody.”

“WHAT?!” shouted both of them.

“Yeah, actually, I’ve come up with a compromise,” said Friedrich Augustin, “Here’s the plan. Friedrich here gets some money and Albrecht Achilles gets his wife back. Deal?”

He looked at his guards, who drew their swords.

“Uh, sure, I’ll accept the deal,” said Friedrich.

“Yeah, me too, just don’t point those swords at me!” Albrecht Achilles stammered.

“Now leave and go back to whatever you guys do,” said Friedrich Augustin.

“Yes, Your Imperial Majesty,” they said.

Both of them bowed, turned around, and left.

Once he was sure they were gone, Friedrich Augustin dismissed his guards and pulled out the occult book again.

“Now where was I?”

2015-12-10_00022.jpg

Cordoba, Provincia Hispania

Gregorio’s peaceful research was suddenly and unexpectedly interrupted.

He heard the sound of wood splintering as a man in white robes with a cross etched into its center kicked down his door.

“This is the Inquisition!” shouted the man, more armed men behind him, “You are charged with multiple accounts of heresy, including creating heresy, believing in heresy, and promoting the spread and belief in heresy! You will be tried in a court of faith and a verdict will be determined based on the sins you have committed!”

Gregorio would make a joke based on how the Inquisition was quite unexpected until it arrived, but two men grabbed his arms and tied them behind his back just then. They then slammed his head against his desk and carried him away as other Inquisitors set fire to the notes and books he was writing.

He wasn’t even writing something important. It was just a simple treatise on explaining the Pythagorean theorem.

Viceroy-King Harald Estrid of Leon-Andalusia-Norway awoke to a strange commotion outside his manor. He got up, got dressed, and opened the window.

“Okay what is it now you peasants—by Thor!” he said.

“Burn!” shouted the angry mob as the Inquisition tied at least twenty men ranging in age from thirty to sixty to stakes in the middle of the city square, in front of the statue of Saint Gunhilda, the Maid of Kujawy and Liberator of Cordoba. Harald recognized all of the men tied to the stakes as being faculty members at the University of Cordoba.

The lead Inquisitor pulled out a scroll and began reading. “All of the men you see before you are guilty of the sin of heresy. The punishment for heresy is the following: purification by fire, also known as death by burning.”

The crowd cheered as the inquisitors dropped torches into the firewood at the bases of the stakes, and the men screamed and struggled as the fire slowly cooked their flesh.

Harald stormed outside at that moment. “By the All-father above, who DARES burn men at the stake without my orders first?” he roared.

The crowd turned to face the Andalusian Norseman. He had the heavy build and the moustache of his Norse ancestors, but his skin color and hair was more like those of the Andalusian Spaniards that lived here before the Norse and Roman conquests. The combination of Norse physique and Spanish complexion made for a quite intimidating viceroy.

“Who are you to question the will of the Imperial Inquisition, heathen?” said the Inquisitor, his eyes glowing white as he extended his arm, “You are a pagan, one who forsakes the true faith in favor of the Devil. And I am but a mere servant of the Lord. Even the lowliest Christian is higher than the highest Viking.”

An invisible force slammed into Harald, and he was flung back against the wall of his manor, pinned so tight he could barely breathe, let alone move.

The Inquisitor snapped his fingers, and the flames intensified in size and heat. Now Harald could hear the sizzling and crackling of the flesh as it was cooked and burned. The men no longer struggled against the fire; they were long gone now. The crowd’s cheering grew louder and louder, and some began to throw some books into the flames.

Then the Inquisitor snapped his fingers again, and Harald’s neck snapped.

2015-12-10_00023.jpg

“No,” said Friedrich Augustin, reading the reports, “No. This can’t be.”

“I’m afraid it is,” said Albrecht Achilles, his face sad, “We lost a lot of good and knowledgeable men these last few months. I fear that the survivors would be compelled by the gruesome acts we all saw to stop innovating, at least for several years.”

“And the Inquisition?”

“Make an example of them. Burn all of those responsible for these burnings at the stake.”

“As you wish, Your Imperial Majesty.”

Albrecht Achilles left the room.

Friedrich Augustin went to the dungeons of his palace. He entered a small room that was empty yet surrounded by at least ten Varangians. Inside was a small cauldron containing very flammable material. The door was closed and locked behind him.

“This better work,” he muttered.

He took a torch and dipped it into the cauldron. Flames erupted from the brazier.

For a second, nothing happened. Then there was a small breeze, and he was not alone in the room anymore.

“Hello, Friedrich Augustin,” said Raphael, still using the Inquisitor as his vessel, “It was a bad idea to summon me, especially in a room like this.”

“I’m not locked in here with you. You’re locked in here with me.” Friedrich Augustin dropped the torch into the ring of holy oil surrounding Raphael.

A ring of flames encircled Raphael, who was mildly amused.

“Congratulations, monkey, you managed to capture an angel,” said Raphael, sarcastically, “Now what are you going to do?”

“I have some questions to ask of you,” said Friedrich Augustin, “And don’t even think of trying to break some windows, because there aren’t any! One move outside this circle, and you see that symbol over there”—Friedrich Augustin pointed to the glyph he had painted on the wall in his own blood— “That’s going to blast you to kingdom come—maybe Heaven, but at least some place very far away.”

Raphael merely smiled. “So you’ve finally found out about the occult books and their…uses against angels like me. How smart.”

Friedrich Augustin leaned in closely but not over the ring of flames. “What are you doing killing my father, grandfather, Fylkja Aleta, hundreds of scholars, starting a war with Malacca, and leading rebellions against my empire?”

Raphael raised his eyebrows. “Isn’t it obvious? Of course, I told your father when I killed your grandfather twenty years ago—”

“ANSWER ME!”

“Apocalypse.”

“What apocalypse?!” Friedrich Augustin demanded.

The apocalypse. You know there is only one apocalypse.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“Apocalypse. Armageddon. Frashokereti. Ashratur’s-sa’ah. Alamatu qiyami’s-sa’ah. Ragnarok. You folks have many names for it.”

“You’re all angels, not demons! You shouldn’t be starting the end of days!”

“Do you have any idea what demons are like, those annoying little clouds of smoke?”

“Still, it’s the apocalypse! Why now?! Why not five hundred years from now?”

“Believe me, five hundred years from now you guys will be capable of starting the apocalypse by yourselves. That wouldn’t be interesting.”

“No! Stop messing with us now!”

“Or what? You don’t even know how to kill me. Even if you did somehow kill me, there are still more of us. You might be able to stop one angel, but you can’t stop all of Heaven.”

Friedrich turned around, opened the door, and left the room.

“Hey!” Raphael shouted after him as the door slammed shut again. “I’m not done talking yet! Come back here you!”

2015-12-10_00024.jpg

Friedrich Augustin stood next to the coffin containing the body of his mentor. Heinrich had been serving the Reich since 1444. He had tutored Friedrich Augustin and his siblings in military matters. Friedrich Augustin remembered the times Heinrich discussed the navy with his father and grandfather. The Reich would miss such a beloved man, for he had done much to reform the navy and complete Friedrich Augustin III's naval reforms.

"Farewell, dear friend," he said, "May you rest in peace."

And he realized he too had to return to peace.
2015-12-10_00026.jpg
2015-12-10_00028.jpg
2015-12-10_00029.jpg

Raphael may have upset the wrong ruler now, given Friedrich Augustin V unwillingness to play the angel's game. Love the banter too; some nice references thrown in.

Yavdi has a Peasants' War? Well, they're going to have fun with that. Why take nothing from Malacca?

Nobody expects the Spanish Imperial Inquisition!

All that for a concession of defeat? I suppose things do get boring with an uber Reich. :D

Raphael may have upset the wrong ruler now, given Friedrich Augustin V unwillingness to play the angel's game. Love the banter too; some nice references thrown in.

Yavdi has a Peasants' War? Well, they're going to have fun with that. Why take nothing from Malacca?
Nobody expects the Spanish Imperial Inquisition!

All that for a concession of defeat? I suppose things do get boring with an uber Reich. :D
They were outside coring range, so I was prevented from taking any provinces. And I had no use for war reparations anyways. I couldn't even force-vassalize them.

Chapter 52: Prospering Times
"You get a reform! You get a reform! Everybody gets a reform!"
-Friedrich Augustin V

"And so Friedrich Augustin managed to defeat the savage Mohammedans of Malaya with the help of God, but then he captured a fallen angel. But that's a story for another time."
-Epic of the New Augustiad, by Ernst Wilhelm

Friedrich Augustin V implemented some monetary reforms to limit inflation of the newly introduced ducat, the Reich currency. Meanwhile, a national epic was written on Friedrich Augustin V, his father, and his grandfather.
2015-12-10_00030.jpg
2015-12-10_00031.jpg
India launched yet another invasion of the Timurid Empire, and the Samrat Chakravartin did not call the Reich to war this time, knowing that it would be a short war.
2015-12-10_00032.jpg
Berlin, New Year's 1469

"Good evening sir," said Friedrich Augustin to the young man before him. "You look like a smart man. How would you like to work on the Privy Council?"

The man, who was just at the ball for the food, started sweating profusely. "Uh, sure, yeah, let's do that."
2015-12-10_00033.jpg
Friedrich Augustin V finished the tax reforms of his grandfather in 1469, around the same time that Russia completed its Romanization process.
2015-12-10_00034.jpg
2015-12-10_00035.jpg
2015-12-10_00036.jpg
2015-12-10_00037.jpg
Berlin, 21 January 1470

"Bring this man before me," said Friedrich Augustin.

"But sir--" said Georg Wilhelm, Reichskanzler.

"I said bring this man before me!" he demanded.

"This man is mad!" said Georg, "Based on our calculations the Atlantic is too large to traverse in our current ships!"

"I still want to hear him."

The doors to the throne room opened. A young man in merchant's clothing stepped inside and bowed reverently to the Kaiser.

"Greetings, Your Imperial Majesty," said the man, "My name is Kristoff Eimerich. I humbly request funds for an expedition into the Atlantic Ocean to find the Mexica homeland."
800px-Portrait_of_a_Man%2C_Said_to_be_Christopher_Columbus.jpg

Kristoff Eimerich, portrait c. 1519

2015-12-10_00038.jpg

(Sorry, forgot to finish localization, should read "launch an expedition into the Atlantic to find the homeland of the Mexica, the dreaded barbarians who invaded the Reich in the thirteenth century, and hopefully strike at them before they can invade the Reich again.")

Last edited:
So many reforms, so little time. The Reich is just sailing smoothly in this era. Speaking of sailing, can't wait to see what the explorer finds across the Atlantic Ocean.

Westernized Russia sounds impressive, but they're still no match for you. They should be able to expand somewhat though.

Chapter 53: The Voyages of Kristoff Eimerich, Part 1
“I promise this, that if I am supported by our most invincible sovereigns with a little of their help, as much gold can be supplied as they will need, indeed as much of spices, of cotton, of mastic gum (which is only found in Chios), also as much of aloes wood, and as many volunteers for the navy, as their Majesties will wish to demand.”
-Kristoff Eimerich

2015-12-10_00039.jpg

Greifswald, Pomerania, Provincia Germania, 27 January 1470

“You will receive four ships,” said Hans von Tirpitz, Admiral of the Reichsflotte, “Four state-of-the-art trade ships transferred from the Second Fleet. Their names are the Paris, Cordoba, London, and Baghdad. Your crew will consist of several dozen young men, not veterans, but not inexperienced recruits either. They know how to hold ships together quite well. I am sure that if you can hold your crew together, you should be able to make it home again.”
2015-12-10_00040.jpg

“Yes, of course,” said Kristoff.

The “Admiral of the Ocean Seas” was not used to his new occupation. He had just arrived in the port city from Berlin with an imperial order. Kristoff hadn’t had the time to see his family again for one last time before he set out into the unknown. All he could do was send a letter to his wife saying that he would return home soon.

Kristoff boarded the Cordoba, the most advanced and largest of the four ships he was given. The instead he stepped on deck, all of the sailors snapped to attention, turning to face and salute him sharply.

“Admiral on deck!” shouted a sailor.

“At ease,” said Kristoff, in a somewhat scared manner. He was just a mere merchant who used to work with the Hanseatic League, not the commander in the Imperial Navy!

He sighed. The sooner he got this over with, the sooner he could get back to the Bottomless Tankard tavern in Holstein and its famously extremely salted turnips.

“Today, we sail to our deaths—I mean, no, I mean into the Atlantic!” he stammered.

The sailors just stared at him. Captain Martin shook his head and barked some more inspiring orders to the crew, while Martin’s brother Vincent did the same on the Paris.

Kristoff settled into his cabin, a moderately sized one, and sat down behind his desk. He pulled out his journal and began writing.

27 January – Left Greifswald today. Crew somewhat annoyed they are being sent on a suicide mission into the Atlantic. Told them I would reward them when we come back.

15 March – Arrived in Lisbon. Just a short stop to stock up on supplies and make last minute repairs to our ships before heading out to the Canaries.

22 March – Left the Canaries. We will not see land for a long time. Crew visibly despairing as the islands disappeared over the horizon.

25 March – Paris’s rudder broke. Johann Gascoigne and Kristoff Quintus, both conscripts, were accused of sabotage. Some resourceful crewmembers managed to fix the rudder using the spare parts we had.

1 April – Lookout reported seeing land. There was no land. The man was sent to the brig. I do not understand this “April Fools” he kept saying.

12 April – Supplies are running out. I must have miscalculated. Crew getting mutinous.

15 April – We only have enough freshwater to last us another two weeks, and only after extreme rationing measures. We are rapidly running out of food. Some crewmembers are resorting to shooting into the ocean to kill fish or eating boiled leather.

20 April – Martin stormed into the cabin today, said he would turn the London, Paris, and Baghdad around if we couldn’t find land soon. Two weeks, he said.

27 April – Woke up to find the crew of Cordoba in mutiny. Mutiny put down after one hour with help from the Baghdad.

31 April – In act of desperation, a sailor threw himself overboard to drink the seawater, as I refused to give him more freshwater than all crewmembers were allowed. To the surprise of everybody the seawater was freshwater. The crew became visibly excited. We are surely nearing land now, though only a river of immense size could generate this much freshwater this far out to sea.

6 May - At two o'clock in the morning the land was discovered, at two leagues' distance. We took in sail and remained under the square-sail lying to till day, when we ourselves near a small island, called Maracaibo or Marajo in a local barbarian language; we soon realized that this island was situated in the mouth of a large river, from which the freshwater we had found in the ocean was flowing from. Such large amounts of freshwater as we had found in the open ocean means that the river we found must be large, perhaps even larger than the Nile in Provincia Aegyptus. We descried people, naked, and I landed in the boat, which was armed, along with Martin Albrecht von Posen, and Vincent Ferdinand, his brother, captain of the Paris. I bore the royal standard, and the two captains each a banner of the Green Cross, which all four ships had carried; this contained the initials of the names of the Kaiser and Kaiserin each side of the cross, and a crown over each letter. Arrived on shore, we saw trees very green making up a jungle larger than any I have ever seen before, many streams of freshwater, untouched as if they came from Eden itself, and diverse sorts of fruits looking similar to those which the Mexica had brought with them to Europe centuries ago.

Planted an imperial eagle standard in the mud of Maracaibo, saying, ‘In the name of God Almighty I claim this land for the Kaiser of Rome.’
2015-12-10_00041.jpg

7 May – Setting up camp on Maracaibo. We will be camping here for maybe five or six days, give or take, to restock on supplies. The water here is very fresh, the fruit here unlike anything I have tasted before. Quite delicious. The jungle is teeming with life, more life than in any forest in Europe. The people here are quite friendly, though they speak a tongue that my translator is unfamiliar with. They have a vague awareness of the Mexica, but they act as if the barbarian empire is not a threat to them. They are more concerned about ‘Tawatinsuyu,’ the mortal enemy of the Mexica, which is apparently much closer than the Nahua. Perhaps if we could find this Tawatinsuyu we could form an alliance with them and take down the Mexica together.

8 May – Have come up with a name for this river. Amazon. The women of the local tribe fight alongside the men, just as in the Greek myth. Some men have agreed to stay behind and form the basis of a settlement, called ‘New Berlin.’

Berlin, 9 May 1470

A large bulky man with a fur hat walked into the throne room.

“Privyet, Kaiser of Rome,” said the man, “I bring greetings from the Tsar in Kiev. He humbly requests your assistance in a war with the Norse.”

“Tell him that he shall receive his assistance immediately,” said Friedrich Augustin.
2015-12-10_00042.jpg

Land ho! The New World awaits.

I imagine the Scandinavians won't put up much of a fight against the might of the Reich and Russia.

Chapter 54: The First Lapland Krieg
“Ha, this should be easy. We beat them twenty times in the last four hundred years, we can do it again this time!”
-The men of Legion von Danzig

“No.”
-Harald Hysing, Norse commander, in response to the above

Everybody expected the war with the Norse to be over immediately. The berserkers were vastly outnumbered and outgunned by the numerically and technologically superior Romans. The Reich had fought with Scandinavia many times over the last four hundred years, so why should this war be any different?

It was different.

The Roman strategy was unchanged. It was to charge straight into Denmark and deploy legions to assault every city at the same time, with some then crossing Oresund into Sweden to gain a foothold in mainland Scandinavia. From there the Reich forces would march up, crush the berserker armies, and take Uppland.

The plan worked…but only up to Lubeck and Hamburg.

One of Fylkja Aleta’s many reforms designed to centralize and strengthen the Fylkirate included a military reform, one which provided for forts to be built in strategic locations in Denmark in the event of a Reich invasion. In this case, she ordered forts to be built in Hamburg and Lubeck. When the Reich legions invaded Denmark, they found though they could easily take Holstein, they could not move further north into Schleswig due to the forts in Lubeck and Hamburg, which were being assaulted by thousands of Romans. The Romans had artillery on their side, which sped up the sieges, but the Norse had forced them into a chokepoint. An army of berserkers under Commander Harald Hysing attacked the Reich force in Holstein without warning, utterly destroying it to the shock of everybody, including Harald himself.
2015-12-10_00043.jpg

The Romans fell back to Hamburg, where Hysing caught up to them and again inflicted heavy casualties on the legion, routing the Reich forces back into Germania.
2015-12-10_00044.jpg

Although the Reich had superiority in technology and weaponry, the Norse had the geographic and defensive advantage, which they exploited mercilessly.

In the east, the Lithuanian army under General Movkoldas Gimbutas attacked a Reich militia of nine thousand guarding the city of Tirgoviste, also catching the Romans off guard and killing over half of them. The Slavic High Priest, who resided in Tirgoviste, was forced to flee southwards.
2015-12-10_00045.jpg

10 September 1470 - “We have left behind the jungle landmass and have found some small tropical islands. The people here seem to be more civilized than those we found in the Amazon delta, with actual ships and all of that.”
2015-12-10_00046.jpg

The Reich launched a counterattack against Hysing in September of 1470, assaulting Holstein with over eighteen thousand soldiers. Hysing, knowing that all eighteen thousand soldiers were simply infantry, called out his artillery and cavalry, which with his berserkers outnumbered the Romans significantly.
2015-12-10_00047.jpg
The Romans suffered around seventy percent casualties and were forced to retreat to Hannover. Meanwhile, the Reich’s other counterattack, this one against Lithuania, succeeded in destroying the Lithuanian army sieging Tirgoviste, with nobody escaping the legions’ wrath.
2015-12-10_00048.jpg

On 4 January 1471, news finally arrived from Eimerich on the Paris, which had returned from across the Atlantic, its crew boasting that they had found a whole new landmass on the other side of the Atlantic, virtually untouched by its inhabitants. It wasn’t the homeland of the Mexica, but it was close to it. The Kaiser was interested in establishing some outposts in this new found tropical paradise, but he had a war to win first.
2015-12-10_00049.jpg

15 January 1471 - “Crossed paths with another fleet, a trade fleet by the looks of it; its crewmembers were nice to us as well. They flew a flag that none of us recognized and spoke a barbarian language much closer to the Mexica one, complete with a writing system. After much effort the translator managed to pick up some of their language. The natives say that they are citizens of the “Mayapan,” which is some sort of merchant republic like that on Socotra. Their homeland was conquered by the Mexica many centuries ago, and now the Maya live on the various islands surrounding the mainland. They worship many gods which are like those worshipped by the Mexica, only with less emphasis on the human sacrifice part, thank goodness. They had this ballgame that they showed us which was quite popular among nobles and civilians alike. Seems interesting, but we had to continue on our way.”
2015-12-10_00050.jpg

On 15 January 1471, the Timurids sued for peace against the Indians, who again imposed harsh terms on the Zunists by seizing many provinces from them.
2015-12-10_00051.jpg
2015-12-10_00052.jpg

The Lithuanians invaded the border fortress town of Memel, only for their army to be quickly destroyed by a Reich legion. The legion then invaded Lithuania and finished off the invading army.
2015-12-10_00054.jpg
2015-12-10_00055.jpg

More investment into the Bureau of Naval Affairs paid off, and Kaiser Friedrich Augustin V established a new system of overseas viceroyalties. Unlike the mainland system of appointment by Kaiser, overseas viceroys would be elected by citizens, sort of like a merchant republic.
2015-12-10_00057.jpg

5 October 1471 - "Found a large island west of the Mayapan islands. Lookouts reported seeing Mexica temples and barbarians speaking the Mexica tongue. Got out of there as quickly as possible."
2015-12-10_00058.jpg

The legions launched an amphibious invasion of Skane, which fell after some time, giving the Reich a foothold in Sweden
2015-12-10_00059.jpg
On 12 November 1473, a son was born to Friedrich Augustin V. Knowing what happened to basically every Kaiser named Friedrich Augustin, especially his own father and grandfather, the Kaiser named his son Wolfram.
2015-12-10_00060.jpg

After a year of sieging, Lubeck fell to the Reich.
2015-12-10_00061.jpg

16 December 1474 - "Back in Maracaibo area. Locals think I am a god. Found some more organized tribes which had migrated to the area. Some of them were hostile, but they still revered us because they thought we were gods. This is a promising place to settle."
2015-12-10_00062.jpg
2015-12-10_00063.jpg

Ensisheim, Elsass, Provincia Lothringia, 12 February 1472

Hermann Milton looked up into the night sky upon hearing a loud roar. “What the…” he said.

He had never seen something like this before. It was not a comet, but something smaller. A small projectile hurtled through the sky, a long tail of flames and smoke trailing it. It was headed straight for the ground—by his calculations, it would land in his cabbage field.

He ran outside to chase the falling star, continuously looking up to see where it was. It was much lower now, and for a second he though he saw in the middle of the burning meteorite the outline of a humanoid figure, only the figure had large wings too.

The meteorite slammed into the ground, throwing up large amounts of dirt. Hermann sighed with relief, as it had landed on the border of his field and his neighbor Johann’s field, sparing his own precious cabbages. He wouldn’t have to scream something stupid now.

He approached the crater and looked inside. The meteorite had broken apart on impact, leaving several smaller fragments of extraterrestrial rock, most of which were still glowing red. One such fragment, though, glowed white, and though Hermann decided to pocket a small piece which had cooled down, he refused to touch that fragment.

The rest of the village had arrived now to see the meteorite, and most of the farmers began cutting off pieces of the rock, though all avoided the fragment which glowed white. The local magistrate arrived and stopped more fragments from being taken away, taking what remained of the meteorite, including the glowing white fragment, away to the courts of the Archduke of Austria and Kaiser Friedrich Augustin V.

Hermann went back to his small house, where his sister told him that his wife had given birth to a healthy baby daughter.

Heaven

“Hey, does anybody know where Sarah went?” said Zachariah. “I forgot to tell her something important about our plans for the Reich.”

“Sorry, don’t know,” said Naomi, “Haven’t seen her around in a week.”

“Hey, look what I found!” said Uriel, one of their associates, holding up what looked to Naomi’s vessel as a butter knife covered in glowing material.

“Did she cut out her grace?!” screamed Zachariah.

“Oh no,” said Naomi, “She’s fallen!”

Zachariah reached for the nearest phone and shouted into it, “Somebody get down to earth and find Sarah and bring her home before she does something stupid!”
2015-12-10_00064.jpg

Ooh, we begin exploring the New World. It all sounds good so far, especially the Aztecs' enemy.

Hats off to Scandinavia for not just getting obliterated. You'll actually need to try for this war.

Chapter 55: The Voyages of Kristoff Eimerich, Part 2

"We have sailed further than any European has ever gone before, seen things no Christian has ever seen before. We have stared into the abyss, and it has stared back into us. And we are afraid. Very, very afraid."
-Kristoff Eimerich

"Finally the tables turn!"
-Friedrich Augustin V

People began moving to the settlements in the Sahara from the overpopulated regions of the coast of Provincia Afrika, in search of a new life. The Russians and Romans, meanwhile, linked up in the middle of Lithuania and crushed a Lithuanian army sent to liberate the capital. There were no Romuva survivors.
2015-12-10_00065.jpg
2015-12-10_00066.jpg
2015-12-10_00067.jpg

Kristoff punched himself. He was off the coast of Marajo, not Maracaibo! Marajo was the island in the middle of the Amazon delta, and Maracaibo was the region the Cordoba was moored off of right now.

Shouts came from above deck. He heard the shouts of men and the sound of footsteps pounding their way across the deck. Kristoff stood up and walked up to the deck.

“Sir!” said Martin. “We have a bit of a situation here.”

“I can see that,” said Kristoff, “What is it?”

“Natives.” Martin pointed towards the coast, where two canoes had departed from the shore and were headed straight for the Cordoba.

Kristoff watched as some scared sailors loaded their guns and pointed at the natives.

“No!” he shouted. “Do not fire on them unless they attack first!”

One native stood up from his canoe, wearing only a simple loincloth. He raised his hands in the air to show he was unarmed. The other natives followed quickly.

“They are unarmed,” said Martin, “Should we let them come onboard?”

“Sure, why not?” said Kristoff.

The natives boarded the ship, bearing gifts of exotic food and not-so-exotic water. The crew reluctantly accepted the gifts. Kristoff took a fruit and bit into it. It was sweet and juicy and very delicious. In seconds he had eaten the whole thing.

Some of the men were laughing, not only the sailors but also the natives. Kristoff reminded himself that natives were men too, despite their barbarian language.

After about fifteen minutes, the natives got back into their canoes and returned to the coast.

“Glad that’s over, now we can get back to—” Martin said.

“Wrong,” interrupted Kristoff.

Six more canoes approached the caravel, this time carrying more natives. Some of them were chanting cries in their indigenous tongues. The translator said that they were saying something along the lines of “Mexica-slayers.”

So they knew about the Mexica and that they were defeated.

Kristoff let the natives come onboard again, and more gifts were exchanged. The natives were awed by the small trinkets that the Europeans had, and the Europeans were awed by the artwork and exquisite weavings that the natives carried. Kristoff and his translator questioned a couple of the natives on the Mexica, and they said that there was a mighty empire in the north, ruled by a powerful bearded emperor living on a city built in the middle of a lake which had attempted to conquer lands across the ocean but were driven out by valiant foes called “Rome.” The Nahua still existed, though, and they were still a threat. The natives hoped that Rome could eventually stop Mexica expansion into the southern continent, which the crew had named “South Eimerica” in honor of Eimerich. Kristoff made some vague promises to them, and natives and Europeans parted ways again.
2015-12-10_00068.jpg

The four-ship fleet sailed on through the sea known as Caribbean. This was Eimerich’s second major voyage. His first was to just chart out the waters and determine the size of the Atlantic. He returned to the Reich a hero, and triumphs were held in Berlin for the crew who bravely ventured out into the unknown, facing certain death, and returned, armed with knowledge about the hated Mexica, who had not been seen for almost fifty years. Kaiser Friedrich Augustin V offered Kristoff the chance to retire as a noble, but Kristoff refused, saying he wanted to explore again before he could settle down.

More ships from the Mayapan League approached him, this time military ships. Some envoys from the Grand Consul of the Mayans boarded the ship, bringing Kristoff greetings on behalf of the Mayan people. The Grand Consul hoped that his people and the Romans could work together against their common enemy, the Mexica.
2015-12-10_00070.jpg
After spending some time in the Mayan capital of New Petén (where RL Port-au-Prince is), Kristoff set out again, heading back for South Eimerica and heading west along the coast. It was not long before he came across another native civilization.
2015-12-10_00069.jpg
They called themselves the "Muisca Altepetl." Kristoff realized immediately that the delegation sent to meet with him spoke Nahuatl, the tongue of the Mexica, as well as some local languages. They had the same dreaded religion as the Mexica barbarian, and even worse, they swore allegiance to the Huey-tlatoani, the descendant of the Acatls who had sacked Hibernia, Caledonia, Iceland, and Norway. Kristoff sailed off as soon as he could, which was actually much sooner than he expected, as the harbor his ships were moored in came under occupation by the Tawatinsuyu Empire, yet another powerful barbarian kingdom. Luckily, as both the Quechua and the Romans were enemies of the Nahua, the Tawatinsuyuans let Kristoff leave in peace.

But the ordeal wasn't over yet. A month after leaving Muisca, Kristoff's fleet was attacked by a battle fleet commanded by Nahuas, flying the dreaded serpent flag of the Reich's mortal enemy. All four ships were captured without a single shot being fired, and the crew was taken to Tenochtitlan for interrogation.

Kristoff Eimerich had found the Mexica. Or rather, the Mexica had found Kristoff Eimerich.
2015-12-10_00071.jpg
Hamburg fell to the Romans, opening up a path into Denmark. Not that it was needed, with a foothold in Sweden already secured, but it provided a morale boost for the Reich. In the steppes, the Onggirat Khanate continued its expansion westward as more Norse forts fell to the Reich.
2015-12-10_00072.jpg
2015-12-10_00073.jpg
2015-12-10_00075.jpg
One day, Kristoff and his crew managed to stage a breakout from Tenochtitlan, assisted by sympathetic Mexica, and made it back to their ships, which were moored in the city of Darien, before the High Priest could order their sacrifice. Apparently not a single man in the Triple Alliance had been sacrificed in fifty years, as only Europeans were allowed by the Codex of Huitzilopochtli to be sacrificed.

8 September 1472

The ships sailed on through the vast blue expanse, charting out what they could while avoiding the Mexica patrol vessels monitoriing the coast, searching for the Romans. They sailed in the direction of New Peten, hoping to get some help from the Mayans. But Kristoff knew they couldn't make it in time.

He was dying.

They had first hijacked some ships from the port of Minatitlan, sailing them down through uncharted waters with the help of defectors disillusioned with the Acatl regime. They reached the port of Darien, which was apparently the small strip of land which connected South Eimerica with North Eimerica, or Cemanahuac, as the Mexica referred to it as. But a week after Eimerich and his crew sailed out of Darien, Kristoff felt a sharp pain in his chest. He began coughing up large amounts of blood. No European medicine could save him or even alleviate the pain. The defectors tried out their own medicine, but it only succeeded in delaying the inevitable.

Four days later, he was lying in his bed, in the cabin he had come to call home, surrounded by the crewmembers he had come to call family. There was Martin holding back tears, there was Martin’s brother Vincent who did not hold back tears, and then there was Tlacaelel, one of the Mexica defectors, who simply watched, not knowing how to react to a man dying.

“We…sure…went…through…a…lot,” Kristoff managed.

Martin nodded solemnly.

“Guess this is how it all ends,” he said, “I’ll never see Germany again.”

“Don’t worry,” said Martin, “You’re a hero for the Reich. We will remember you.”

Kristoff smiled sadly. “I hope so.”

He pushed his diary into Vincent’s hands. “This is yours now, Vincent. Take good care of it and take good notes. We will need them if we are to defeat the Mexica.”

“Kristoff, how will we fight them without you?” said Vincent. “You’ve been our leader since we departed Greifswald all those years ago.”

Kristoff chuckled. “You know, I never thought of myself as a good leader. I was just telling you guys what needed to be done. You’ve all been a fine crew, the best I’ve ever seen. Actually, you guys are the second crew I served with, and the first one all drowned when the ship I served on sank off the coast of Frisia, so yeah, you guys are the best.”

Some sailors shifted nervously.

“Sorry, couldn’t resist saying that,” said Kristoff.

“Kristoff Eimerich,” said Tlacaelel, in broken German, “Very good person. Not like Acatl usurper emperors. Very good. Much remembering will do.”

“Thanks Tlacaelel,” said Kristoff, “Thanks everybody, for these memorable last few years of my short but brilliant life.”

And at that moment, his heart failed, and he breathed his last.

Kristoff Eimerich, the discoverer of the Eimericas, was buried at sea, off the coast of Panama. The four ships continued on their journey along the coast of Cemanahuac in silence, their leader claimed by God.

2015-12-10_00076.jpg
2015-12-10_00077.jpg

Heaven

“That’ll teach them for imprisoning one of our kind and harboring a fallen angel,” said Zachariah, looking down on the four ships and Berlin simultaneously.

Hmmm the angels are starting to lose their temper... And still lacking of good sense. Kristoff after all completed and rather well his mission, and killing him doesn't shift any balance in the Empire.

The current Kaiser should start to create a sort of order to contrast the angel meddling, now that he has Raphael imprisoned and being a useful proof to convince potential agents...

So the Mexica still exist, and are now known as the Triple Alliance. How powerful is this empire?