• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is amazingly impressive - and as a compulsive link clicker, I can see being trapped in here for a long time :)

Definitely stay away from any gifts from Arni.

Arni Of Mann (cont.)

Battle of Burgh

Main article: Battle of Burgh

Arni assumed command of the Manx army upon Froði's death, as Olafr was still in Mann. While still in Cumberland, they were ambushed by a force of 8,000 Catholic peasants from Northumbria, who had taken up arms against Jorvik in an attempt to expel the viking invaders from their homeland. Arni's much smaller force was overwhelmed and forced to retreat, and Arni himself was injured during the battle.

Following the defeat, Arni ordered the army to return to the Isle of Mann to regroup. A letter written to Gurli before the battle reveals his concern that Olafr would attempt to usurp the throne in his absence, which may have also been a factor in his decision to return to the capital.

Consolidation of Power
Arni was crowned king upon his return to Mann in September 900, with unanimous support of the council. Olafr elected not to challenge Arni for the throne at this time, and Arni's involvement in Froði's death was not yet known.

Arni's first act as king was to appoint Olafr Þorsteinnsson as spymaster. Olafr was the former chief of Orknö and Færeyar, who had been deposed by Erikr av Hordaland during the Twenty Year's War. Arni had met Olafr previously while in Island negotiating a trade agreement and was impressed with his ability. More importantly, he was an outsider with no loyalties toward any existing faction in Mann. Arni promised Olafr his sister Ingrid's hand in marriage and vowed to restore Olafr to his chiefdoms if he would travel to Mann and serve as spymaster in the interim. This offer was accepted.

Next, Arni set out to dismantle the network of royal concubines that had wielded significant political power in Mann since the early days of Helgi's reign. Marriages to minor Scandinavian lords were arraigned for Alfrið Froðisdottir, Aslaug Holmgersdottir, Helen Mac Malmure, and Donada Mac Ailpin, and all four were sent to live with their new husbands. Of the former concubines, only Asta and Heledd, who were too old to remarry, and Gurli, who Arni considered an ally, remained in Mann.

Finally, Arni turned his attention to Olafr Björnsson, whose ambitions he considered the greatest threat to the realm. Olafr Þorsteinnsson located three men from Galloway willing to testify that they had witnessed Björnsson murder Geirr, which was by law sufficient evidence to imprison him. Arni believed that Olafr would refuse a summons to court, and would resist if the army was sent to bring him into custody. Arni did not trust his commanders and wished to avoid a military confrontation. Instead he allowed Olafr Þorsteinnsson to spread rumors in Carrick that he had fallen deathly ill and was preparing to hand the throne to Refil, anticipating that Björnsson would travel to Mann and attempt to take the throne himself. The plot worked as expected; Olafr arrived in Mann in January 901, and was arrested shortly after. He was thrown into the dungeons, where he would die two years later.

Today's update brings an end to the saga of Olafr Björnsson, a man whose low character must surely be the subject of Greek plays and whose tragic story may well have inspired them. The son of a king, denied his birthright as a child (well, sort of), his ambitions to reclaim what he believed was his led him to murder his brother and nephew, and inevitably led to his downfall.

Definitely. If only the names involved sounded a bit more Greek (Arnos and Olapher?), one would not be surprised if it was an antique tragedy. But I guess that to inspire Wifrið Þakespear is not bad either :p. Now to see if Arni is at least somewhat as capable on the battlefield as he is with cloak and dagger.

I hereby declare a new theatrical genre: Mannish tragedy - like Greek tragedy only with more whisky and less wine.

Arni Of Mann (cont.)

Marriage and Children
In February 901, Arni married Alfhildr Gandalfrsdottir, the daughter of Chief Gandalfr of Dunbar. Gandalfr's family had fled to Suðreyjar to escape a peasant's revolt in northern Jorvik in the late 880s. Arni began courting Alfhildr during this time, and the two became quite smitten with each other. When war broke out between Jorvik and Mann in 899, Gandalfr left Suðreyjar to seek refuge in Jorvik-held Dyflinn but Alfhildr stayed behind to wait on Arni's return.

Arni also took as concubines two Scottish noblewomen captured during Froði's conquest of Connacht, Ada and Nuala Mac Malmure, although it is apparent he did so reluctantly. The size of one's harem was seen as a status symbol among Norse leaders of the time, and Arni was concerned that by failing to keep concubines he would lose respect in the eyes of his vassals. Ada and Nuala were kept apart from Alfhildr and not afforded the same privileges previous concubines received.

Arni had two daughters, Gurli and Gerðr, both born on the same day in 902 to Alfhilder and Asta, respectively. Alfhilder would later bear Arni a son, also named Arni.

Two Arni's ... that might get a little confusing!

Arni Jr, is that too modern? :D

I have to say I'm most impressed with the effort that's gone into this, and I've been greatly enjoying the opportunity to discover the little side stories presented in the wiki links. Will follow this with considerable interest :)

Arni Of Mann (cont.)

Irish Revolt of 901
Main article: Irish Nationalism During the Viking Age

In 901, the revolt led by Lorcán de Cashel against the Kingdom of Jorvik was progressing successfully, with King Toste occupied by other wars and unable to commit sufficient troops to his holding in Ireland to put down the rebellion. Inspired by this success, a peasant from Breifne named Labraid de Kells raised an army of five thousand volunteers with the intent to take northern Ireland back from the Manx invaders.

Labraid's troops, though not professional soldiers, outnumbered the army of Mann nearly five-to-one. Even drafting the services of every man capable of fighting on the Isle of Mann, Arni was able to raise only 3,500 troops. Gurli urged Arni to appeal to the larger Norse kindgoms of Scandinavia for aid, but Arni refused, citing his father's failed alliance with Jorvik as a reason that foreign powers were not to be trusted.

In September, with no relief from the king in sight, the tribe of Connacht surrendered to the rebels. Shortly after, Olafr Þorsteinnsson made contact with an Irish mercenary group led by Lugáed, who belonged to a rival clan of Labraid's. Lugáed agreed to a contract with Arni, boosting the Manx army by 2,000 men.

With Lugáed leading the combined forces, the Manx army crossed into Ireland and met the rebels at the Battle of Connacht in December. Labraid was captured during the fighting, and his army was crushed and dispersed. Lugáed ordered Labriad executed on the spot.

Poor Labraid, a butcher raised to rebel commander and then butchered by a rival.

Damn, I really love this way of writing an AAR, it's a very interesting approach, and shows a lot of devotion.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if in some later time Labraid become a secondary villain in some great play (think Owen Glendower in Henry IV pt 1), or maybe even a tragic hero of an nationalist opera.

Again, I'm impressed with the attention to detail you're paying even to events happening outside your own realm. I'm wondering if we'll eventually get a word or two on the emergence of the Gall-Gaels (which, unfortunately, CK2 isn't really capable of modelling all that well...)

And so, the Manx are here to stay - alone, if they must, thanks to their treasury and the intrigues of Olafrs.

Arni Of Mann (cont.)

Manx Subjugation of Jorvik (902-903)
Main article: Manx Subjugation of Jorvik

With the Irish rebellion put down, Arni next turned his attention to the war with Jorvik, which had remained quiet since the Battle of Burgh two years ago. King Toste of Jorvik had been fighting a losing war on multiple fronts in the interim, and had been forced to withdraw from all territories above the River Tyne, abandoning several castles which were now held by Catholic rebels. By early 902, the bulk of the rebel army had moved south to battle the Jorvikians near their capitol, leaving a light garrison to defend these castles.

Arni saw an opportunity to gain a foothold in Jorvik with minimal risk by seizing these castles from the Catholics. With Lugáed's men still in his employ, he sent orders for the army to split into four divisions and lay siege to the castles of Cupar, Stirling, Dunbar, and Jedburgh. The garrison in Jedburgh was able to send word of their predicament to the rebel commanders further south, and in September 902 they returned and attacked the Manx besiegers in the Battle of Jedburgh. The Manx army was caught unprepared and nearly defeated, until the divisions from Stirling and Dunbar abandoned their own sieges and marched to Jedburgh to provide reinforcements. With the Catholic army defeated, Lugáed faced little resistance in capturing the remaining holdings in northern Jorvik, securing all lands above Tyne by August 903.

Again, I'm impressed with the attention to detail you're paying even to events happening outside your own realm. I'm wondering if we'll eventually get a word or two on the emergence of the Gall-Gaels (which, unfortunately, CK2 isn't really capable of modelling all that well...)

An interesting thought. It would make sense for the Flatnefr branches who remain in Ireland for a second or third generation to become more Gaelicized over time. The game may not model it, but that's no reason I can't.

A very opportunistic strike that almost went awry.