• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lord Valentine said:
Your right! I wrote several AARs under the name I hope to see them revived once RTR 7 is out. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Same here, i miss those good old AAR's and offcourse hanging around in the Developer Forums... (former preatorian.. I miss those days, altough i was a lazy old bastard and did allmost nothing *sigh*)

Masked pickle, you can use a program called Crusadedit or something like that you just need to load the savegame and find the name of the character! You can do all sorts of things in it, it's somewhere around the Crusader King modification forums.

An Excellent AAR Lord Valentine! I've just read through, hoping to escape from organising my college files, and The High Kings of Alba did the job perfectly. You've really done well with the characters and events CK gives to you and its made for a very interesting AAR, its good to see some madmen and bad Kings put in with the good ones!

The battle of Durham was a bad turn for the books, but it seems to be the English way of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat! I'm eager to see what Ranald will do next!

Lord Valentine said:
Anyway as you have shurley noticed I have pinched English Patriot's concept of introducing the important persons of a chapter in a "cast" to make things more easy to follow. I hope he can forgive me :p

Haha I'm very flattered you'd use it and give me credit, my only regret is that I wasn't here earlier to see it!

So first of all the good news: The next update is scheduled for Wednesday. As you might guess there's still a war to be resolved. :cool:

And now for some replies:

demokratickid: Thanks! I am trying hard to keep this AAR running while preparing for my A-levels. :)

Masked Pickle: As jordarkelf already said it's not a feature of DV. However this is the kind of thing I also get enthusiastic about so I willingly take the minimum extra work to edit them in. Oh I was so disappointed when the regal numbering of monarchs out of Medieval 1 disappeared in the second part. :(

English Patriot:Thank you a lot! I was also fascinated by your campaign through the ages although unfortunately I so far haven't found the time to get through it completely. I put a lot of thought into translating the traits of my monarchs both into believable actions in the game and an interesting narrative. If I've sort of managed that I am deeply contented. :)

Anyway don't expect Ranald himself to do to much in the next update. Remember he's still a minor under the guidance (or under the thumb) of a regency dominated by the great non-royal figure of the age Roger Dunkeld.

~Lord Valentine~

asd21593 said:
Is this still alive?

It really was a great AAR :confused:

:) asd
Thanks for your interest and praise asd!

It sort of is. But my quite busy schedule (I'm working now + some final school ceremonies to commemorate my A-levels + the European Football Championship + my laziness) have kept me from updating it. Let's say it's not dead but in coma and I hope it will awake again soon.

~Lord Valentine~

Lord Valentine said:
Thanks for your interest and praise asd!

It sort of is. But my quite busy schedule (I'm working now + some final school ceremonies to commemorate my A-levels + the European Football Championship + my laziness) have kept me from updating it. Let's say it's not dead but in coma and I hope it will awake again soon.

~Lord Valentine~

Excellent news!

Bring it back soon!

:) asd

TheConqueror: Thanks! I hope you enjoy my little piece! :)

So here at long last is an update. It have been working on it slowly, bit by bit over the last two weeks. I hope you like it.

Ranald I "the Conquerer"​
Born 1135 - Died 1183
Ruled 1140-1183

4-3.jpg

The Regency Years
1140-1152​

Part Four: A Realm in Flames

The Cast:

Ranald I, King of Scotland, Ireland and Wales
Roger Dunkeld, Duke of Strathclyde and Atholl, Lord Protector of the Realm
Robert II, King of England
Charles Deverux, Earl of Suffolk
Malcolm Davies, Baron of Lennox
Hermann von Schwarzenberg, leader of the "Black Serpent Company"

In the immediate aftermath of the disastrous defeat of Scotland at the battle of Durham many predicted the downfall of the realm that Malcolm IV had so carefully forged in his brief reign. Emperor Otto V, himself the most powerful monarch in Europe having just recently battled the joint realms of Bohemia and Poland into submission and thereby won their crowns, predicted that the Irish would rebel and Scotland become a tributary of England once again. But all of these people underestimated the resilience of this northern land. In the aftermath of the disastrous defeat the majority of the remaining royal council (many such as Alexander Davies, Baron of Lennox or Sir James Madison had fallen in the battle, or like Collin Dunkeld, Lord Beacon where still being held for ransom in England) finally adopted the strategy originally recommended by Lord Roger.
What remained of the royal army was dismissed with orders of raising new troops in the Scottish heartland, especially in the Highlands, to oppose the English invaders with hit-and-run attacks and a policy of scorched earth. Only a small force of 350 men accompanied the Lord Protector and the 12 year old king to Inverness Castle.

52158537_7a24d5bab6.jpg

Inverness Castle, king Ranalds retreat during the English invasion of 1147/1148.

At the same time writs were sent to the city of Edinburgh, ordering it's citizens to resist the "dastardly invaders" with all violence and never to surrender the seat of royal power in Scotland to the enemy. Also the Welsh Lords where commanded to muster men to plunder the English border provinces and harass possible English reinforcements sent north.
Robert II in the meantime had decided against laying siege to Edinburgh. Instead he lead his army, by now reinforced by further Englishmen and Scots discontented about the Lord Protectors rule and therefore now numbering some 16.500 men, in pursuit of the king north against Inverness. His figuring was that he did not have the necessary supplies and time to reduce all important Scottish strongholds and thus conquer the county. Capturing the king however would mean a swift conclusion of the conflict in English favor.

Since no sufficient force could quickly be organized to oppose this massive enemy host the king and his government together with some 1.000 defenders where layed under siege in Inverness when the English host arrived on August 12th 1147.

SiegeofAntioch.jpg

The epic siege of Inverness in a 14th century illustration, which was part of the library of king John III.

By early October the English craftsmen had prepared a variety of siege engines and on the 13th of October Robert II ordered his first probing assault against the city walls. The attacks where resumed on the 15th, 19th, 21st and 22nd, all without success. All where repulsed but only under great efforts and losses of the defenders. Young Ranald I to the great dislike of his guardian Lord Roger already showed the courage that was to win him great fame in all Christendom one day. He refused to eat any more than the daily ration allocated to the common soldiers and was often seen on the battlements, his miniature sword drawn, encouraging the men. This siege in the end however would be decided not so much through valor as through supplies. At the end of October Robert II had already come to the conclusion that Inverness was virtually impregnable and would therefore have to be starved into submission. As a consequence he sent some 6.500 of his men back into the Lowlands to forage the countryside and keep the supply routes open.

The coming Winter was though for the defenders of Inverness who had to endure both lack of warmth and nourishment, so that when spring 1148 arrived there where no more than 280 left of them. However it had been an even worse experience for the English. Of the 10.000 men at the disposal of Robert II in November only 3.700 remained due to starvation, the deadly winter cold and pestilence. Robert only hope of sustaining the siege would be the arrival of fresh troops and supplies.

And indeed a fresh English force of 3.000 men had been mustered under Charles Deverux, Earl of Sussex. It had marched north with the intention of linking up with Roberts troops in the Lowlands and then advancing on Inverness. Sussex troops however had been strongly decimated by constant hit and run attacks by the Welsh Marcher Lords so that no more than 1.600 remained when they reached Scotland. Combined with the English troops in the Lowlands, who had also suffered during the Winter, the English host that set out for Inverness was some 7.200 men strong. By now the Scots had once again managed to put a field in the army which consisted of some 3.000 Highland and Lowland Scots, 1.200 light Irish levies, 500 Welsh longbowmen and most importantly the 400 men of the "Black Serpent Company". The "Black Serpent" was one of the most famed mercenary companies made up of younger sons of German dukes and counts all equipped with the finest tools of war and battle hardened through years of service in the Emperors pay. After the successful conclusion of the Emperors war in Bohemia and Poland the company had found itself without employment. After considerable efforts the Scottish regency council had managed to convince their leader Hermann von Schwarzfeld to enter Scottish service. Now they where the spearhead of the 5.100 men strong Scottish force opposing the English advance towards Inverness. This force was lead by Malcolm Davies, Baron of Lennox, son the same Baron Alexander Davies who had fallen at Durham.

The English had encamped near Fife with the knowledge that some 3.600 Scots where near at hand. They where completely surprised when these so greatly numerically inferior forces attacked them at dawn of April 14th 1148. Lennox however had at the same time shipped his Irish troops and the "Black Serpent" over into near the rear of the enemy. Thus the banner of the "Black Serpent" was suddenly sighted in the English rear and flank one hour after the fighting had commenced. At the same time Baron Lennox lead a head on charge of the Scottish knights into the hard pressed English center.

89555_large.jpg

Baron Lennox charge shatters the English line and restores the honor of Scottish chivalry.

English resistance however was tough. Some of it's hardiest and most experienced soldiers where present and they where confident in their skills and superior numbers. Soon the Irish forces where starting to get beaten back and the "Black Serpent" though the strongest force in the field was increasingly faced with overwhelming odds. It was in this situation however that von Schwarzberg singled out and managed to kill Sussex who was fighting in the thickest encouraging his men.

medieval-ii-total-war-2006111704013.jpg

von Schwarzenberg slays Suffolk, thus deciding a battle with a single stroke.

This great feat of arms was enough to strike terror into the rank and file of the English host and soon the situation had deteriorated so far that the men of the south where in full flight. They left some 2.600 of their men dead on the battlefield with another 1.600 taken prisoner. Once Robert II heard of this defeat he at once abandoned the siege and fled in order not to get trapped in hostile territory. The day had been won! Scotland had been saved!

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
Oh, revenge is sooooooooooo sweet. :D

Hurray ! The epic Scot grand adventure has come back ! :cool:

Nice to see God favors Scotland again :)

Please , don't wait too long to give us our next update :D

Scotland forever !

Yay for Scotland's return!

It helps that you also own Wales, so you can keep pressure on the English from the west as well. There is still the chance they can bleed your Scottish manpower. I assume they can still field more men than you?

asd21593: Yes Scotland is back! In more than one respect. ;) Now we shall see where destiny shall take it.

Kurt_Steiner: Indeed and to slightly change a famous quote: "Revenge is a dish that's best served ice cold. It's very cold in the Highlands." :D

gigau: Wow so many lovely adjectives to describe this AAR in one sentence! I am truly honored! And If the good Lords willing I will bring you the next update before too long. I am hoping to finish at least one before I go on my vacation in England from the 11th to the 18th of July.

Cecasander: Yes Wales has proved to be a great asset in this war. Where the manpower is concerned I think both nations have suffered greatly and can not afford to continue this conflict for much longer but wait and see for yourself...

~Lord Valentine~

Ranald I "the Conquerer"​
Born 1135 - Died 1183
Ruled 1140-1183

4-3.jpg

The Regency Years
1140-1152​

Part Fife: The Battle for Britain

The Cast:

Ranald I, King of Scotland, Ireland and Wales
Roger Dunkeld, Duke of Strathclyde and Atholl, Lord Protector of the Realm
Robert II, King of England
Hermann von Schwarzenberg, leader of the "Black Serpent Company"
Karl von Hohenfels, Esquire and member of the "Black Serpent Company"
Berenguer Ramon Jimenez, titular "King of all Spain"

The splendid victory at Fife paved the way for a triumphant return of both the king and his Lord Protector. They entered Edinburgh accompanied by some 1.200 men on May 19th. Although the festivities where somewhat limited due to the hardship endured by the whole area after two years of constant war and ravaging the young king did not miss the opportunity to put up a banquet and some truly chivalrous entertainment. The highlight of this colorful event was the victory parade of the combatants of the battle of Fife. An exultant Ranald showered them with titles and honors. In honor of the "Black Serpents Companys" part in the victory he created the knightly "Order of the Black Serpent", whose membership was limited to 100 persons. Malcolm Davies was raised to the title "Earl of Lennox" and granted lands worth 1.200 Pounds per annum in Wales and Ireland to support his new higher station in life. Hermann von Schwarzenberg was the first non-Briton to receive the honor of being raised to peerage as "Lord Stafford" (having been granted the newly created title "Earl of Stafford"). 30 Further men from the Company received annual pensions between 120 and 400 Pounds per annum. The most distinguished among them was Karl von Hohenfels, who had performed the incredible deed of slaying as many as 45 men in single combat in the last battle. Being but a simple esquire he had to be knighted before being ennobled even further to become "Baron (of) Rutland". The knighting ceremony was performed by the kings beautiful 16 year old sister Catherine.

knighting.jpg

The great festivities of 1148 have ever since fascinated generations of romantics. Here is a classic late 19th century painting depicting the knighting of "Charles the Valorous" by Catherine of Atholl.

Many Scottish aristocrats resented seeing lowly born foreigners rising to such high honor and favor but Ranald was already showing the determination and stubbornness that would characterize so much of his later reign. It is however interesting to note that all lands awarded to the German adventurers lay outside of Scotland itself and where still under English occupation. If they wanted to enjoy them they would therefore have to continue to fight for the Scottish monarchy. The war had already dragged on for too long and both sides had reasons to look for a swift conclusion. Scotland and it's English possessions had been bled dry by the costly battles and the constant pillaging at the hands of English marauders during the last two years. A lot of the wealth accumulated during the prosperous reign of Malcolm IV had been destroyed, far to many families where lamenting the loss of loved ones and a great many where left destitute. Scotland could not afford to let this war last. Robert II on the other hand was also faced with financial problems but more seriously had reason to doubt the loyalty of his subjects. The weak rule of his predecessors had lead to a great increase in power of the local English nobility. One of Roberts first major policy decisions as king had been to reinforce royal prerogatives, which earned him a lot of outright hostility. So far the common struggle against a foreign enemy had brought monarch and magnates together but in view of the recent defeats frictions became more and more apparent. Due to this in the early months of Summer both sides were gearing up for a final decisive encounter.

The Scottish Royal army mustered at Berwick on July 23rd mustered as many 7.400 men. They where drawn from the Highlands and Lowlands, from the kings household and noble retinues, from the cities of the realm and foreign mercenary companies. Even the titular king "of all Spain" Berenguer Ramon Jimenez, who had lived in Scottish exile since the final downfall of his kingdom some 25 years ago joined the army with his retinue of 350 Iberians. As the army advanced southward into Leicestershire they where joined by further troops until their ranks numbered some 9.000 men. Robert on the other hand had also been busy recruiting troops. He had even convinced his Breton and French subjects to do service of war across the Channel. Furthermore Emperor Otto V had sent him some 1.200 mercenaries, since he was worried that a Scottish victory might upset the balance of power in the region. With this last concerted effort he probably had some 13.000 men at his disposal. Knowing that he must not put the loyalty of his forces to the test of time Robert at once set out to confront the invader. He intercepted the Scottish Royal Army under the command of Lord Roger near Oxford on the 3rd of September. The Scottish had just recently plundered the whole area and set fire to all major towns and villages, leaving a path of destruction. Enraged by this barbarous orgy of violence the English forces in a blind rage at once assaulted the enemy without waiting for further instructions. Seeing that the coming battle was already out of his control Robert also ordered his other forces to advance. Thus it where rather two huge disorderly mobs that joined battle around 6 p.m. than two armies.

DeTaaheBattle-PW-36-field-battle-79.jpg

Charge! The battle of Oxford begins...

The battle raged on inconclusively for three and a half hours before the growing darkness separated the quarreling parties for the night. However as early as 6 a.m. the following morning the Scots once again fell upon their enemy. Strong fog added to the confusion of the battle and we therefore do not exactly know how the course of the battle went but by 10 a.m. the English army was in full flight and the field won by the Scots. Whether it was the higher quality of the Scottish troops, their superior moral or even treachery on the English side which ensured the Scottish triumph is still a point of debate among scholars which will probably never be solved. One simple fact however remains: It was the bloodiest battle of the war. The Scots lost as many as 3.900 men dead while the English losses where probably as high as 8.500 men, which means that around 50% of the participants of the battle did not live to tell the tale. Among the most prominent victims where: The Earls of Surrey and Somerset, as well as the Barons of Wilshire and Hereford on the English side, the Duke of Gwynedd, the Earl of Ulster, the Count of Cumberland and Berenguar Ramon of Castille, on the Scottish side. But this last carnage had not been for nothing. The Scottish armies where now able to march on London in triumph without meeting any resistance. With both his peasants and Lords at the point of revolt and the enemy preparing to siege his capital Robert had to back down. In early October he signed the Treaty of Bristol whereby he recognized the newly acquired county of Leicester as an integral part of the realm of Scotland and agreed to cede a vital stretch of land in Wales which would connect the king English and Welsh territories. England's attempt at breaking Scotland's hegemony on the Isle had failed.

map1.png

Britain in 1148 after the signing of the Treaty of Bristol. The light blue territories are those acquired by Scotland under the terms of the treaty.

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
swippy said:
Looks like we soon have an United Kingdom some hundreds of years early :)

Glad to have you on board swippy!
The chances don't look bad. Soon however Scotland will have to commit it's resources to yet another field...
I'll begin work on another update today. With a bit of luck (and disciplined work on my part ;) ) it will be up before I start my vacation next Friday.

~Lord Valentine~

Some rest is nedeed, but the balance of power in the region has been drastically changed for good, methinks.