• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I apologize for the lack of updates. I have been quite busy lately (these must be the first holidays in which I am actually doing something sensible!) and also had some medical problems which prevented me from continuing this Mega-Campaign.
Anyway I hope to post the next update tomorrow.

~Lord Valentine~

Gospatrick II​
Born 1062 - Died 1125
Ruled 1105-1125

GospatrickII.jpg

Part Two: Discontent and Sedition

The Cast:

Gospatrick II, King of Scotland
Prince Ferteth, son and heir of Gospatrick II and Duke of Berwick
Prince Alexander, war hero and discontented son of Gospatrick II and Duke of Mar
Lord Gillebright Loarn, Duke of Argyll and marshall in the Norwegian War
Lord Audun of Orkney, Norwegian warrior and commander in the Norwegian War
Lord Malcolm Dunkeld, Duke of Atholl and traitor
Sir Gillepatrick Johnston, Marshall of the King
Sir Roger Dunkeld, son of Duncan II and later Duke of Atholl
Lord Adam Dunkeld, inbreed son of Duncan II and Duke of Strathclyde
Sir Donnchad O'Neil, Irish rebel later in the service of Prince Alexander
Sir Douglas Gordon, Marshall of Prince Alexander

Although the heroic victory at "Traitors Battle" effectively saved Gospatricks throne the war waged on until 1107 when Lord Gillebrigte, Duke of Argyll, inflicted a crushing defeat upon the remaining Norwegian forces under Audun of Orkney, the most feared Scandinavian warrior of his age. In August of the same year a 18 year truce was signed between the two kingdoms.
Extraordinarily enough the king made no attempts to punish the Dunkeld family for their treacherous conduct during the war, although his son Alexander urged him to take drastic steps. Instead Gospatricks next aim was to finish the work his father had begun in Ireland. In 1108 a expeditionary force under the command of the kings brother Dolphin conquered the county of Mide. The Scottish possessions in Ireland now equalled those of the mightiest Irish magnates.
The next two years went by without any major events taking place. The only thing worth noting was the appointment of Sir Gillepatrick Johnston as new Marshall of the realm.

6-1.jpg
Sir Johnston Gillepatrick. In the words of a french chronicle. "The finest warrior and knight in all Britannia."​

The years from 1111 to 1115 witnessed an unbroken outbreak of violence. In April 1111 the despicable Duke of Atholl, Malcolm Dunkeld, once again showed his hand. After having failed to win the crown by his cowardly and treacherous conduct during the Scottish-Norwegian War he now openly proclaimed himself king and rallied an army to enforce his claims. Gospatricks reaction was quick and decisive. He mobilized his personal household and retainers and advanced against the traitor while his son Alexander mustered the northern levies of his duchy. This pincer movement lead to quick victory. In fact restoring peace was more difficult than winning the war. Alexander had hoped that for his great deeds in the Norwegian War and his quick action in aid of his father now he would be granted the forfeited estates of the Duke of Atholl. This would have made him the mightiest magnate in Scotland. The king however had other plans. The king did not wish to upset the power balance between the noble families in Scotland so in a grand gesture of forgiveness he created the 16 year old Roger Dunkeld, second son of the late Duncan II, as Duke of Atholl. Few contemporaries would have guessed that Roger would one day become the perhaps most prominent figure in Scottish politics.

In 1112 another great expedition into Ireland was launched. It was lead by the kings eldest son and heir Ferteth, who was very keen to establish a military reputation that equalled his younger brothers. The campaign ended with the subjugation of the "kingdom" of Leinster.
The most fateful event in Gospatrick II reign however took place in 1113. Yet another campaign in Ireland, this time commanded by Alexander, had begone. Its aim was to subdue the "kingdom" of Munster. Over the last few years however considerable tensions had been rising in Scotland. Many people despised the autocratic, feudal rule of the two Gospatricks and wished a return to the "good old days" when the clans had had more political influence. Nevertheless it came as a complete surprise to everyone when the kings son Alexander openly identified himself with these elements of Scottish society. While still in Ireland he issued a great proclamation in which he charged his father with willfully destroying the "ancient rights and traditions of the Scottish realm" and leading it into "Norman slavery". He presented himself as "champion of the realms sacred laws and traditions" and called all true Scots to Scone for his coronation as Alexander I and to oppose Gospatrick. What made Alexander take so radical a step? He clearly felt that he had not been sufficiently rewarded for his service towards the crown. As second born son he had no chance to inherit the throne and therefore depended on the kings favour to enhance his power and prestige. When Gospatrick denied him the Duchy of Atholl it was the last straw for him and he probably decided to seize the throne by force at the next possible opportunity.

In this however he miscalculated. While he could be sure of a lot of sympathy for his complains few where ready to rebel against the king. Most people where glad to see a stable and strong government after the weak and unhappy rule of Duncan I and II. Even most of the army Alexander had with him in refused to march against their rightful king.

1-1.png

Alexanders Rebellion 1114

In spite of this setback Alexander continued his fight. Leaving the war against Munster unfinished he advanced into Mide with only 100 men (1). Both Mide and Sligo where in open rebellion against Scottish rule. Alexander was able to convince some of the rebels that since he was the "champion of law and tradition" he would restore the Irish to their old rights if they helped him become king. His thus reinforced army, now numbering some 350 men, advanced into Ulster.

The king in the meantime had not remained idle. When he first got word of his sons treachery he at once mobilized his retainers and sent urgent writs to his son Ferteth and Lord Roger of Atholl, ordering them to meet him at Strathclyde with as many men as they could muster. Alexanders original intention had been to land somewhere near Strathclyde or Carrick. This would have had two benefits. It would enable his supporters in North and South Scotland to quickly link up with him while threatening the kings lines of communication and making it hard for the loyalists to unite forces. With the king however already in position in Strathclyde and his own army to weak to enforce a landing Alexander had to drop that plan and sail north instead (2).

Alexander now made for Moray in the Duchy of Argyll. Even if the Duke himself did not support his cause he had reason to hope that the traditionally conservative highlanders would flock to his banners in considerable numbers. And in deed Alexanders numbers increased up to 1.200 men (3). Once again however the kings actions forced Alexander to change his plans. When Gospatrick had realized that Alexander was on the move north he set out to confront him. His host consisted of roughly 2.400 men drawn from his own household and estates and those of the two peers present in his army, Lord Adam Dunkeld of Strathclyde and Lord Roger Dunkeld of Atholl. The king also gave notice to his son Fereth to muster further loyalists and then move north in support of his father. When the kings army reached Atholl Alexander was forced to move on at great speed. Alexander was still to weak to confront the king and the only possible source of quick further reinforcement was his own Duchy of Mar. The last phase of the conflict was therefore a race between the king and the traitor for Mar (4).

Alexander once again demonstrated his great organizational and leadership skills by not only reaching Mar before the king but also rallying more men to his cause. When he reached Mar on 13th of August he had some 2.530 men at his command. In detail his force consisted of:

• 100 knights
  • 450 light cavalry
  • 580 men-at-arms
  • 200 pikemen
  • 200 archers
  • 1000 pikemen
These figures clearly have political implications. Due to his rejection of feudalism as "Norman slavery" Alexanders army lacked heavy cavalry. Its main strength rested on its heavy infantry and "expert troops" such as archers and pikemen.
The kings army that arrived three days later numbered some 2.600 soldiers. It's composition however differed in an important aspect:
  • 450 knights
  • 440 light cavalry
  • 400 men-at-arms
  • 180 pikemen
  • 130 archers
  • 1000 light infantry
While weaker in almost all other aspects Gospatrick II had a clear over 4:1 advantage in heavy cavalry. Nevertheless both leader where in a confident mood when the armies drew up for battle on 20th of August 1114.

1c2.gif

Gospatrick drew up his army in ten battle formations. The right wing was held by the king himself as leader of the knights 450 knights, supported by some 50 light cavalry. The remaining 6 battles all numbered some 300 men each with 4 battles in the vanguard under the command of 19 year old Lord Roger and 3 under his older inbreed brother Lord Adam. In effect however the rear was commanded by the kings constable Sir Gilpatrick Johnston, whom the king had made "advisor" of Lord Adam. While most heavy infantry was massed in the vanguard the rear consisted mostly of light cavalry and infantry. The kings battle plan was simple. The vanguard was to directly assault the enemy. Then the king would break through the enemies flank with a massive cavalry charge and then turn inwards to support his vanguard. This onslaught would surely rout the enemies centre thereby winning the battle.
Alexander anticipated this move and tried to devise a counter strategy. On his left wing, opposing the kings knights, he concentrated his own knights together with his pikemen. The rest of his army was organized into 8 battles with 280 men each. The main force of 4 battles was put under the command of the renown Irish mercenary Sir Dunncahd. Two further battles of heavy infantry and archers where kept behind the line under Alexanders personal command. His intended battle winner however where two battles placed on the other side of the river under the command of Sir Douglas Gordon, one of Alexanders most trusted soldiers. This elite crack force of heavy highland infantry was to advance down the river, cross it in secrecy and attack the enemies rear. Through this move Alexander hoped to encircle and destroy the kings main forces before Gospatricks cavalry could decide the battle.

And thus the battle began:

battle.gif

Looking at the battle retrospectively there are several factors that explain Alexanders defeat:
1.: He overestimated the strength of his pikemen and underestimated the striking power of the kings knights. Pikemen in the early 12th century lacked the equipment and professional drill necessary to repel a knights charge.
When the king thus broke through his left flank Alexander was forced to deploy his rear forces to fill the gaps instead of sending them to the aid of his main battles, which where under considerable pressure.

2.: Although the surprise attack routed most of the weak rear the royal main battle resisted and fought the enemy to a standstill. This was mostly due to the personal courage of Lord Roger who at once personally confronted this knew threat, putting his life in great peril.

3.: Unlike during the Norwegian War Alexander was unable to rally his men to fight on when the tide seemed to turn against him. Facing the near complete collapse of his line and with the kings cavalry hard on his heals he had no other choice but to flee himself discouraging his men even further.

4.: The fact that Sir Gilpatrick managed to rally parts of the royal rear and re-entered the battle turned the defeat into a disaster.

900 of Alexanders men where killed and further 700 captured. The casualties of the loyalists where as high as 400 killed, most of them light infantry out of the rear. The day after the battle saw the sinister business of "royal justice" being carried out. 20 nobles, including Sir Douglas Gordon, where found guilty of treason and beheaded while all commons received a royal pardon.

zpage208.gif
A 13th century painting celebrating the triumph of chivalry at the battle of Mar in 1113.

At first Alexander had hoped to carry on the fight, but when he got news that 1.000 of his supporters had been beaten in the south by the kings son Fertheth he decided to surrender. In a moving show of clemency Gospatrick spared his sons life but forfeited all his estates and gave Alexander into the care (or better custody) of the Duke of Argyll.
Thus ended the second civil war of Gospatrick II reign...

~Lord Valentine~

OOC: So here is the long awaited update. I am sorry it took so long but I was fairly busy preparing for the next year in school. Anyway I hope this update was worth the wait. It took me nearly 4 hours to write it. :wacko:
Anyway as you can see there are so many events in Gospatrick II reign that I will have to write a third and final update on it soon.

Last edited:
Totally worth the wait. It does look like quite the busy reign, I loved the dissection of Alexander's civil war against his father. Does he stand to inherit..I should hope not, Ferteth sounds much more promising.

Wonerful update, indeed. It has been worth waiting.

For a moment I thought that Alexander was going to repeat Cannae. And in the end, he got it, but in the wrong way :D

Great update. :)

I've just never thought that Alexander would rebel. From hero to villain: injustice or pure ambition?

Still... I still feel sorry for Alexander.

Great update, by the way. Never thought it's going that way and that what makes this AAR interesting! :)

First of all thanks for all the replies! I am currently working hard to try and fill the gaps of knowledge that my incompetent German teacher has left. Nevertheless I am optimistic and hope to post the final chapter of Gospatrick II reign tomorrow.

Coinneach:I'm glad you like it so far. Hopefully the game will let me develop this AAR even further.

JimboIX:Actually I expected Gospatricks II reign to be a fairly brief transition period but in the end he lived quite a long time and left quite a mark on history. The chances of the renegade Alexander inheriting the throne are fairly low. He is the second born son and Ferthet already has an heir of his own who would become king should he die.

Kurt_Steiner:Your right there. Alexander gambled and lost. Once again it has been shown how sensible it was of Gospatrick I to introduce feudalism in Scotland. Knights are absolute killers! :D

Fulcrumvale: Always glad to keep my audience happy. :)

Raden Shaka: To be honest with you I didn't anticipate this turn of events either. Well but as you said, these sort of things make a game interesting.

~Lord Valentine~

Gospatrick II​
Born 1062 - Died 1125
Ruled 1105-1125

GospatrickII.jpg

Part Three: The Celts are united

The Cast:

Gospatrick II, King of Scotland
Prince Ferteth, son and heir of Gospatrick II
Lord Roger Dunkeld, Duke of Strathclyde and Atholl

After having mastered the unpleasant challenge of war within the royal family Gospatrick II turned to the policy which he would be remembered for over the centuries, the creation of the "Celtic Empire". In 1114 a final expedition under the Duke of Mar subdued the two last independent kingdoms in Ireland, namely Connacht and Munster. The victory was celebrated in splendour when Gospatrick was formally accepted as king of Ireland in September 1114.
Although the king was full of plans he was held down by a serious illness for the next 6 years and few believed that he would recover. Against all expectations however the king regained his vitality and in 1121, at the spry age of 59, undertook yet another campaign. His aim was Wales.
For the next two years the Scottish warriors of the north fought to establish their kings rule over the unruly lands. Due to his precarious medical conditions most of the effective commanding was done by prince Ferteth and Lord Roger Dunkeld, now through in inheritance Duke of Atholl and Strathclyde. However it soon turned out that subduing Wales would take greater resources than the kingdom could spare after decades of almost continuous conflict. Therefore a peace treaty was signed between the major Welsh nobles and the Scottish king granting him over 1/3 of Wales.
Just a two weeks after his return from Wales Gospatrick II died in his sleep on January 22nd 1125. He was promptly beatified for his continuous support of the church and famed clemency towards his enemies.

Facts:

-conquered almost all of Ireland
-repelled a major Norwegian Invasion
-Crushed two major rebellions
-Expanded Scottish influence into Wales, thereby founding the "Celtic Empire"

1-2.png

Scotland 1125 AD. Dark Blue for the borders at the End of Gospatrick I reign, lighter blue for the conquests during Gospatrick II reign.

~Lord Valentine~
OOC: I was fairly brief on this third part since it was quite undramatic (at least compared to the rest :p) and I want to move on to Ferteth I as soon as possible, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
He definitely exceeded expectations despite the revolt. Long live Fertheth!

Ferteth I​
Born 1081 - Died 1131
Ruled 1125-1131

1-1.jpg

A life cut short

The Cast:

Ferteth I, King of Scotland
Prince Guthred, son and heir of Ferteth I later Duke of Connacht
Lord Roger Dunkeld, Duke of Strathclyde and Atholl and Marshall of the Royal Army
Lord Kenneth Loarn, Duke of Argyll
Lord Magnus of Iceland, Duke of Lancaster
Oluf I, King of Norway

Fertheth I was very different from his father and his brother. Unlike these two he was no military man. He did not share their love and admiration for the army, campaigning and fighting, having been educated in a monastery on the Isle of Man. Instead he was a highly educated monarch fluent in Latin and french and with considerable knowledge of the holy scripture. Where his father and Grandfather had been provincial and "rough around the edges" to say the least, Ferteth was sophisticated and charming. Nevertheless his vices included a far to great love for "wine, women and song" which also meant that he was unable to keep his money together.

At least his coronation on February 18th 1125 went ahead without any problems, indicating that after the troubles in Gospatrick I and especially Gospatrick II reign the dynasty had won a certain acceptance even if only on the battlefield. In 1126 the monarch decided to follow in his fathers footsteps. The Duchy of Lancaster, which Gospatrick II had failed to subdue, was once again the target of Scottish aggression. After the Norman conquest of England those Saxon nobles who remained in power in northern England closely associated themselves with important Norwegian families, this leading to a great amount of inter-cultural marriages. As a result of this policy the Duchy of Lancaster had fallen to Magnus of Iceland after the male branch of the Leofricson dynasty had died out in 1122. Through this fortunate coincidence Lancaster juridically no longer belonged to the Kingdom of England but to the Kingdom of Norway.

Since the king had a low esteem of the Norwegians military might he decided to take the gamble and invade the Duchy. The king however did not personally lead the invasion force but rather in trusted the whole campaign to Lord Roger Dunkeld, who was by now a renowned warrior in his own right, after having served with distinction during "Alexander's Rebellion" and several invasions of Ireland and Wales during Gospatrick II reign.

2-2.jpg

Lord Roger, the kings lieutenant for Lancaster and the perhaps most powerful noble in Scotland.

Lord Rogers host of over 4.000 men invaded in October 1126 and swept away the local levies with ease. In January a great Norwegian army was completely annihilated and Duke Magnus himself captured. The poor Duke had no other chance but to trade his Duchy for his life.

3-2.jpg

The great victory of Lord Roger, won near Derby on January 10th 1127. The king granted him a pension of 400 Pounds per year in recognition of his great service to the crown.

The king in the meantime had caught a serious cold but this did not seem to matter since the war seemed to be more or less over already. Unfortunately the Norwegian king Oluf I refused all offers of truce sent to him. Several minor Norwegian raids on Scotland where repelled by Lord Roger, now appointed "overseer of the Scottish coast" by the king. Still by May it had become clear that the Norwegians had landed a considerable army south of York and where coming to reclaim Lancaster, so that the king felt obliged to march south in person, while leaving Scotland under the supervision of Lord Roger and Lord Kenneth, Duke of Argyll.
The royal campaign was a complete success. After two victories the Norwegian expeditionary force was beaten and the king returned north. Nevertheless the Norwegian king was still not ready to give up the fight and had to move south for yet another campaign in 1128 when at last gods representative of earth took this burden of his shoulders.

4-2.jpg
At last Ferteth's good connections to the church payed of!​

The last three years of Ferteth's reign where tranquille ones. The illness and the hardship of the military campaigns had exsausted the monarch so that he avoided taking on any further challenges that might prove to much for him. A small number of royal councillors, including the realms mightiest magnates the before mentioned Lords Roger and Kenneth and the kings only son and heir Guthred, recently created Duke of Connacht, took over most tasks in the management of the realm.
From 1129 onwards a problem of great delicacy arose. Prince Guthred was clearly unable to deal with the great number of tasks which he had been given and became increasingly mentally instable until in 1130 he suffered a temporary complete breakdown. Although Guthred partly recovered over the year he was increasingly acting strange, violent and hostile towards his environment and in general showing all symptoms of schizophrenia. The leading nobles of the realm, headed by no one else but the war hero Lord Roger, urged king, whose medical conditions also where in steady decline to exclude his son from succession and instead make peace with his brother Alexander. But the king could not bring himself to disinherit his only son, let alone lift the traitor Alexander or his son on the throne and so the kingdom was faced with a serious problem when Ferteth I died on the 30th of July 1131.

Facts:

-conquered the Duchy of Lancaster

2.png
Dark Blue: Scotland 1125
Lighter Blue: Scottish conquest till 1131

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the inevitable war with England.

Fulcrumvale said:
I'm still waiting for the inevitable war with England.

First we'll have another civil war, methinks...

JimboIX Yes good old Gospatrick I would have been proud of him. Poor Ferteth on the other hand had little time to make his mark on history.

Fulcrumvale: Actually I am quite glad that England has left me alone so far. Interestingly enough the current king, 19 year old Centule I, is also schizophrenic. :p

Iain Wilson: Oh I didn't know there was another major Scottish AAR going on. I'll have to have a look at it when I find the time.

Kurt_Steiner: Well with a mad\schizophrenic king trouble is never far away...

Anyway I am feeling quite creative lately so I think I might post the update on Guthreds reign today or tomorrow.

~Lord Valentine~

Guthred I "the Strange"​
Born 1100 - Died 1140 (?)
Ruled 1131-1134

5-1.jpg

Madness and Civil War

The Cast:
Guthred I, semi-mad King of Scotland, Ireland and Wales
Sir Brian Ui Mórdha, count of Laigan, Irish rebel
Lord Colman Ui Mórdha, brother of Sir Brian and Duke of Leinster, Irish rebel
Lord Kenneth Loarn, Duke of Argyll and traitor
Alexander of Atholl, son of Gospatrick II, uncle of Guthred I
Lord Roger, Duke of Strathclyde and Atholl and later right hand of Guthred I​

Before his metal collapse Guthred had been a highly promising and bright prince. Like his father he had enjoyed a theological raising in which he excelled. In every aspect he was at least the equal of his father in many matters even superior. However where Ferteht had been a man of the word Guthred was a violent man who believed in his right to enforce what he thought to be right and true at a swords point. This trait greatly increased after his mental collapse. In general one will have to say that Guthred was a man full of contradictions. Aggressive and violent in the pursuit of his policies he himself was terrified of fighting and can be described as nothing else than a coward. Although filled with a self righteous self-esteem he was at the same time highly naive and trusting, a factor that would greatly contribute to his fall.

At first the transition of power was a smooth one. When Guthred was crowned on 18th of August 1131 all magnates of the realm swore fealty to him without protest. Even the Count of Laigin and the Duke of Gwynedd who had so far not acknowledged Scottish rule where present. The king had great plans. In September he marched into Wales in a magnificent procession and was crowned King of Wales on September 25th 1131. During the festivities however a quarrell arose that would later have grave consequences. Sir Brian Ui Mórdha, count of Laigin, had dared to disagree with the king in a theological debate. In a flick of anger Guthred had him flogged so that his "heretical views" might be beaten out of him, declaring that this was the only way to deal with "Irish scum". Once back in Scotland the king announced his plan to go on campaign and conquer the Norwegian possesions in Scotland and the Orkney Isles. But now his earlier actions cougt up with him. In October both the Brian of Laigin and his brother Lord Colman of Leinster rebelled, beginning the "Irish Rebellion".

6-2.jpg

The "Irish Rebellion" (1131-1133) was the first major uprising against Scottish rule in Ireland.

The king at once changed his plans and prepared for a campaign in Ireland. To the great dissatisfaction of the magnates of his realm however he did not appoint Lord Roger or Lord Kenneth of Argyll as protector of his realm in his absence but rather entrusted Scotland to Sir Arthur Longley, Sir Richard Walcot and Sir Ralph Oscot, three men of low birth and reputation. Guthred payed the price for humiliating the Lords of his realm in this form when, only days after the king had set sail for Ireland, Lord Kenneth rebelled on 25th of December 1131.

7-1.jpg

The conflict reaches a new dimension.

Lord Kenneth immediately took radical steps to legitimize his rebellion. He released Alexander Atholl, who had been held a captive in one of the Dukes castles for 17 years, and swore fealty to him as "King Alexander I". This was more then just a rebellion, Guthreds kingship itself was in danger! How would the other Lords react? Would they prefer the old war hero Alexander to the unpopular and at least semi-mad Guthred? Not willing to simply wait and find out Guthred at once returned to Scotland and in March advanced into Argyll with only 1.700 men. Guthred had not dared to ask his vassals for additional troops, fearing to incite revolt. Luckily enough the rebellious Dukes resources where also limited so that Guthred could win a costly but decisive victory in April. Just as the king was about to besiege Alexander and Kenneth in their stronghold higher powers intervened once again.

8-1.jpg
Unlike his father Guthred I was clearly no favorite of the holy father. He would have to find other ways to resolve the conflict.​

The greatest danger however seemed to have passed. The Scottish nobility had not rallied behind Alexander, who ,as everyone could see, after 17 years of imprisonment was unfit to rule and little more than a pawn of Lord Kenneth. The next three weeks were filled with negotiations. Lord Roger in the end managed to strike a deal both wise and gruesome. Lord Kenneth received a royal pardon and could reenter royal service with all of his possessions and titles unharmed. Alexanders fate however was death. Popular legend, immortalized by the famous late 16th century play "King Guthred", has it that Lord Roger personally butchered the poor old man.

9-1.jpg

An 18th century illustration for the play "King Guthred" depicting the murder of Alexander by Lord Roger.

The kings possision in Scotland thus secured he now turned to Ireland where in the absence of royal presence things had taken a change for the worse. The Isle of Man and the counties of Tir Connail and Tir Eoghain had joined the rebellion. However the rebels lost valuable time in endless quarrels about who should become High King of the liberated Ireland. They where still completely unprepared when the royal army invaded in 1133. Defeating the rebels one by on, devastating the countryside and executing the important leaders, most notably Lord Colman of Leinster, all of Ireland was subdued by the end of the year. The forfeited lands where distributed among friends, relatives and retainers of the king. After this reign of terror all remaining nobles of Ireland and Wales (!) peacefully submitted to the king. With these affairs sorted out the king went on a long "sightseeing tour" in Ireland. He visited the most important shrines and churches and confiscated the most precious relics. Then in May 1134 he declared that he would return to Scotland to "punish those who had insulted his royal person".
What could this mean? Lord Kenneth was naturally highly worried, as where his retainers. What else could this statement mean then that the royal pardons would not be honored? But most other magnates where also in a state of panic. Would the king punish them for not coming to his aid?

In this atmosphere the king landed near Carrick on May 26th 1134. As he made his way towards Edinburgh he was met by Lord Roger on 8th of June. The king welcomed him with great joy, calling him his only true friend and declaring that they had much work to do. The same night they dinned together in great splendour and it was a great enjoyment to everyone present. The next morning however the kings person was seized by men wearing Lord Rogers livery. The king was told not to worry. A plot on his life had been discovered and the lord was worried about the kings security.

10-1.jpg

The arrest of king Guthred in a 15th century illustration.

With the king in his possession Lord Roger called an assembly of higher and lower nobles of the realm, perhaps the first parliament in Scottish history, and brought through a proposal which effectively deposed Guthred I. The king was then brought to some unknown place for safekeeping. He was never seen again.

11-1.jpg

3.png
Dark Blue: Scotland 1131
Lighter Blue: Scottish conquest till 1134

~Lord Valentine~
OOC: So that was the strange kings reign. Anyway as you have shurley noticed I have pinched English Patriot's concept of introducing the important persons of a chapter in a "cast" to make things more easy to follow. I hope he can forgive me :p

Last edited:
Poor Guthred! Schizephrenia definitely makes one awful unpopular though. Centule? Sounds like someone married into a french family.

What a wonderful king.

Guthred I's reign is interesting. Strange as he might be, but he was able to put more land into his fold. Pity he took wrong person as a 'friend'.

I wonder who's the next king would be. There was no single note that Guthred has children. If it's Lord Roger, that means a Dunkeld is back on throne trough cunning but infamous plots. Or perhaps the 'Celtic Empire' would be ruled trough the Assembly of Nobles? What an aristocracy. :)

It's odd, too, that England hasn't taken or attempted to take advantage of Scotland's troubles...