• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The first thing to note here is that legionary coherts are king, even if pitted against other legionary cohorts.
The second and most important thing to note is that DISCIPLINE is the key. Especially when fighting against other legions.

Just bought the pre-order, I'm a sucker for AGEOD Games. Can you tell us what settings you are using in the Game+AI tab?

@Narwhal: It seem you have done some major damage control, the Optimates victory seems almost assured with the mistakes Loki100 made and the Pontic AI taking their troops on cruises.
@Loki100: is there anyway to recuperate Hispania? Historically that's where the gold, silver and iron of the Republic came from in the Western half. Is it represented here? Can't a Legion crush the barbarians and save the day? Is it because the Lusitanians and Hispanian armies have units better adapted to the terrain?

Just bought the pre-order, I'm a sucker for AGEOD Games. Can you tell us what settings you are using in the Game+AI tab?

@Narwhal: It seem you have done some major damage control, the Optimates victory seems almost assured with the mistakes Loki100 made and the Pontic AI taking their troops on cruises.
@Loki100: is there anyway to recuperate Hispania? Historically that's where the gold, silver and iron of the Republic came from in the Western half. Is it represented here? Can't a Legion crush the barbarians and save the day? Is it because the Lusitanians and Hispanian armies have units better adapted to the terrain?

we gave it hard+additional detect+more time (so to me that is the default).

Spain in my quick SP game is saveable I think. In the PBEM my early attack lost me a lot of cohesion & then the AI followed up it routed and eliminated my starting army. I think the problem is you have no Roman legions in Spain at the start, and the allied legions are not that much better than the Spanish units. My defeat undermined (bad pun) my economy badly as I was struggling to find the cash to keep generating fresh units from about turn 7 onwards. So yes, holding Spain is important, and I wonder if deploying the N African units there is a good idea.

I've not dug in deep, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are all sorts of nice benefits and maluses to different types of units in different terrain.

@Loki100:
I checked out the scenario, thx to the pre-order (basic version, 100€ for the preator version is a bit too much for me). Indeed the Populares have a precarious position. Sure you got a good economy, but what is the use if your provinces are extremely vulnerable to rebellion and barbarian invasion.

I understand your worry about the NAfrican front. Numidia is rght next door and according to Narwhal's post (as I understand) might swing against you at a later date. I would just try to milk all the manpower there and send them to Hispania first as to secure your back. The only problem might be that they get delayed there, instead of supporting your efforts in Italia. All depends on the Pontic forces pinning down Narwhal long enough. Maybe you can use your African forces to give a breathing space in Hispania long enough to crank out your legions there to crush your enemies, then send a minor force back to NAfrica.

Like Napoleon said you need speed and time to surprise and overwhelm your enemy. Now you only need an army to do it!

Ok guys, you won. Preordered!

Remember, the Spanish forces were not destroyed for over a decade, they should not be easy to crush, no matter what your forces. Metellus and Pompey had much larger forces there and still had a very rough go of it (Though they were fighting the ex-Marian general Quintus Sertorius who was leading 53 cohorts of Romans and a lot of Spanish volunteers), so if you get kicked out of Hispania, it should be pretty tough to get back and keep down.

Let’s be honest that’s a crippling defeat ; but Loki100 had no idea about the equilibrium of forces and the importance of defensive position in AJE as it was his very first game.

This might be a bit of a problem. Itis true that the roman army was good in building (temporary) fortifications for their armies,even when camping somewhere for a short time. But these where to make sure they were not overrun by a larger army, and to keep the supply and non-combattants safe in case of a battle. As far as I know, with more or less equal forces, the army was deployed in front of the camp fortifications. Several legions building a fortification, and then awaiting force of several other legions to assault them trench warfare style - just not done I think. (Unless everely outnumbered it would probably be bad giving up the ability to manouevre).

But I ill await counter examples :)

After some research I agree with you, but then you can claim that once they arrive in the province, the Legion are actively looking for some battle ground, deploying a spy network, ... to make sure that the battle happens at the best place for them, etc...

Huh, that's an aggressive move (though what should I expect having read a bunch of Narwhal AARs). I would've cut my losses and moved to Greece.

I was not clear, it was a clear defeat for Loki. I have no losses to cut :)

I keep thinking there must be a fairly amusing AJE AAR waiting to be written from the perspective of a 1930s Soviet Communist historian, eager to prove to Stalin that some hapless losing party in a Roman civil war was basically trying to jumpstart communism 2,000 years early. But that's probably better left to loki, who seems to know the subject matter fairly well.
Oh boy ! Loki, make it happen !

What's the comparative economic advantages? Because I'm surprised that, with a majority of his troops concentrated, Loki's army was still smaller than the Optimate's army in Italy. Or maybe things aren't being balanced because the Optimates are supposed to be fighting the Populares and the Pontics at once, and the Pontics have shipped a couple armies to Sicily?

I dunno, it just seems that the Populares are at a real disadvantage in this game.

The Populares start with 4 legions (and four Alae (Socii legion), worth half a legion or so) in Italy and one legion in Spain. 4 of these legions have no experience but one has one star. The Pop will receive 2 legions by decision, and can build 11 additional legions.

The Optimates start with 4 legions in Italy (3 without experience, one with one star), but 5 crack legions in Greece. They can build 8 additional legions.

With control of Northern Italy, Rome (normally), Sicily, Spain (well - sometimes) and "Africa" (really : Tunisia), the Populares have a much better economy; but basically all normally depends on whether the Optimates can bring some of Sulla's legion, or Sulla himself, in Italy before the Populares build all their new legions. Which depends on the relative skill of the Optimates player compared to the Pontic. Since I quite know the scenario, the Pontics had no chance (even though they delayed much more than I thought).

I believe the Populares are at a disavantage if the Pontics are led by the AI. If the Pontics are led by a player, I believe it is much more balanced, as there is no that the Optimates can chain victories like pearls against a Pontic that will avoid the massive Roman legions and wreak havoc everywhere Sulla is not.

Yay! A new AAR with loki and Narwhal!

Thanks !

Great AAR!

While I am waiting for my AJE, I am playing NCP.

How come, this game never recieved much love from players or AGEOD? It's French history, for Gods sake!

Some even calls it "The unloved son of AGEOD"...

Cheers,

Hmmm, a serie of little details that in total "broke" the game : no repay feature, map hard to read even though it is beautiful, OOB a bit weird sometimes, no great campaign (for which I don't care), obviously unbalanced and "gamable" scenarios.... Some of these problems were corrected, but too late.

I will show that a bit later (this evening or tomorrow ?)

@Loki100:
I checked out the scenario, thx to the pre-order (basic version, 100€ for the preator version is a bit too much for me). Indeed the Populares have a precarious position. Sure you got a good economy, but what is the use if your provinces are extremely vulnerable to rebellion and barbarian invasion.

I understand your worry about the NAfrican front. Numidia is rght next door and according to Narwhal's post (as I understand) might swing against you at a later date. I would just try to milk all the manpower there and send them to Hispania first as to secure your back. The only problem might be that they get delayed there, instead of supporting your efforts in Italia. All depends on the Pontic forces pinning down Narwhal long enough. Maybe you can use your African forces to give a breathing space in Hispania long enough to crank out your legions there to crush your enemies, then send a minor force back to NAfrica.

Like Napoleon said you need speed and time to surprise and overwhelm your enemy. Now you only need an army to do it!

From what I see, only the Populares player can activate Numidia. The Optimates can only react to Numidian being "dowed".

OTE=General_Hoth;14362075]Ok guys, you won. Preordered![/QUOTE]

OK, we can stop the AAR, it was the objective all along.

Remember, the Spanish forces were not destroyed for over a decade, they should not be easy to crush, no matter what your forces. Metellus and Pompey had much larger forces there and still had a very rough go of it (Though they were fighting the ex-Marian general Quintus Sertorius who was leading 53 cohorts of Romans and a lot of Spanish volunteers), so if you get kicked out of Hispania, it should be pretty tough to get back and keep down.

I guess you should like the Sertorius scenario then. Sertorius was a Populares, actually, and his "Spaniards" were not the same as the Lusitanians Loki100 is fighting.

August 87 - The Counter-Attack

The previous turn was pretty good for me and, as you may remember, I decided for a vigorous counter-attack, not least because I would like to finish the game before the game is on the shelves (for patching purposes), and also because times play for the Populares :

In Italy, my dash to Rome goes unopposed. Not much to add to this :

EItaly.jpg

The Rome garrison is weak, the walls are only level one, the Populares are out of sight (they fled North), I have no reason not to assault next turn.

Easault.jpg

Soon, Rome will be freed from the evil clutches of the Populares.

In Greece, the situation is good as well, but not as good. I get another decisive victory against the Pontics :

Ebigbattle.jpg

Note that the game says that I lost (and lost 1 NM), but I killed much more Pontics and they retreated. We have a beta to get rid of this sort of surprises. It is a clear victory.

Unfortunately, the Pontics spit troops out of nowhere like, er, like something that spits a lot of troops.

EsituationGreece.jpg

That’s 3 armies I can see, and remember the Romans are horrible at scouting :

- One is the army my old nemesis Archelaos from Athenae, that was hidden (in passive posture) and now is recovering in Chalcis
- One is the defeated army of Arcathias. It should be nothing to worry about (20 K exhausted men), except if it merges with…
- That last unidentified force in Amphipolis.

As the first two of these armies are basically out of steam, I am going to use the Roman massive mobility to do a massive mop-up operation :

Ecomplexorder.jpg

Yes, the orders are to move North, crush Arcathias once again, then rush to Athenae (in case Archelaos try to attack it), then back to Chalcis, where I expect to defeat the old guy and take Chalcis. I just hope Archelaos does not hide in Chalcis, else the assault will be an horribly messy battle.

Finally, the only bad news are brought by Lucullus.

As you may remember, he was happily getting rid of Pirates, and he was doing this pretty well :

Efirstselinus.jpg

After a couple battles like this against the pirates, I was getting confident, when I see this :

EsendodSelinus.jpg

Uh… some Pontic scouts. Nothing to write home about, thinks Lucullus.

And then, a wild Pontic army appears at the horizon, and fall down on Selinus

Eoupsie.jpg

Oupsie.

I have no idea why the AI decided to commit 40 K men in the area, but it sure surprised me there. [One of the reason is that the Pontic armies are so large that the Pontic player can not commit everything it has on the same front at the same time, lest everyone starves]

Well, for Lucullus, with his 15 K glorified garrison versus a 40 K heavy army, there is only one conclusion :

Lucullusconclusion.jpg

So off we row to get some more naval allies for Roma, in Cyprus now :

Eleavingtheplace.jpg

Beginner’s Corner : Supply

OK, the former beginner’s corner was fairly easy, but now we are going to see some fairly complex subject, including one that will make you win or lose the game : supply.

I will not cover ammo supplies for now, only “regular” supplies, AND I might make a few mistakes doing so.

Supply works significantly differently AJE compared to other AGEOD games (RoP, AACW, PoN, RUS) – so if you want to use this guide for another game, be cautious. Supply in AJE is fairly similar to supply in WiA, though.

What is supply ? How do I have information on my level of supply ?

Every element (except leaders) in your army consumes supplies. Even your supply wagons consume supplies each turn. Supply can be counted in two ways – in “supply units” and in "turns" (months) – beware, I will have to use both way of counting.

The maximum supply a unit can carry depends on the unit :

- Most “regular” units (incl. cavalry) can carry 2 months (turns) of supplies.
- Some rare units (legions, of course, but also some heavy cavalry) can carry 3 months of supplies.

Ships and siege units can differ from these “standard” values.

Note that this does NOT mean that two regular units can carry the same amount of supply, or even that Indians carry more supply units : but for a given "type" a unit consuming more supplies carries more supplies). For instance, let me show you some supply consumption, and show you where to see the current level of supply by the same occasion:

SuppluConsumption.jpg

Now the supply wagons and other supply units :

A supply wagon element can carry 20 “bonus” supply units, for a total of 80 supply units for a complete supply wagon unit (4 elements - I hope it is clear). This means that the impact of a unit of supply wagon in a large army will be minimal (1 month ?) but it will adds up with more supply wagons.

Supplies.jpg

Units in provinces with allied supply wagons will (at the beginning of a turn) first “eat” the supply units of the wagons, then their own, even if the wagons are not in their stack. Let me show you this :

With the wagons, the stack has only about 50% of its maximum supply

WithSupWag.jpg

Without the wagons, the stack has about 67% of its maximum supply, the wagons “left” with the minimum to hold one turn, not more (=8 supplies).

WithoutSup.jpg

Magazines and transport ships work the same way.

What happens if you are short on supply ?

Short on supply but still something to eat : nothing. Try to solve the situation ASAP.

Not enough supplies this turn : your army loses its combat efficiency very quickly, and receive hits. The first turn, as only you probably only have a small deficit of supply in your stack, not much. The following turns – much more.

How to produce supply ?

Supplies is produced in (almost) every province. The supply produced every turn corresponds to the "supply level" of a province, with the rule 1 supply level = 5 supply units produced per turn. You can see the supply level of a province by hovering the mouse over it. There are two “origins” for the supply :

- The countryside of a region, provided the region has not be pillaged.
- The structures, provided they are not under siege (or blockaded for ports)

The countryside of a region generates a base of 0-6 supply levels (0-30 supply units), from desert to “clear” terrain for good weather (clearly if it is winter, you won’t get much of the countryside).
Then to this base you must add +1 if there is a road, + 3 if there is a Roman Road.
Once you have this “modified base”, you must multiply it by 2 if the civilization level is “civilized”, by 3 if the civilization level is rich. That’s the total supply that will be produced next turn in the province

For instance, take Doriskos. Clear terrain by fair weather has a base of 6. Add one for the road, you got 7. It is civilized, so x2 – and you find back your 14.

Example1.jpg

To calculate your “share” of the supply, you need to multiply the supply produced by your military control. For instance, in this example (as the Populares) :

Example2.jpg

Clear terrain in a rainy day has a base of 5. Add the Roman road (+3) and you got 8. It is rich, so 8 * 3 = 24. Unfortunately, the Populares only control 33%, so that’s back to 8.

The structures are all or nothing. Either you do not control them and you got nothing from them, or you control them and you got everything. Except if you are sieged, in which case you still got nothing.

- Cities generate 2 supply levels (10 supply units) per level,
- Ports generate 2 supply levels (10 supply) units) per level, except if blockaded,
- Forts generate 1 supply level (5 supply units) per level,
- Depots generate 5 supply levels (25 supply units) per level. You can create depots anywhere by sacrificing 8 elements of supply wagons or transport ships (including bateaux). Basically, large armies WILL need depots to operate

If we take the two starting cities of the tutorial as examples :

Narbo :

Example3.jpg

Woods : Base supply = 5. Roman Roads : +3 = 8. Civ Level "civilized", so *2 = 16.
Depot : 5 per level, so 20.
City : 2 per level, so 12.
Harbor : 2 per level, so 6
Fort : 1 per level, so 1

Total : 16 + 20 + 12 + 6 + 1 = 55

Emporiare :

Example4.jpg

Hills : Base supply = 5. Roman Roads, so +3 = 8. Civ Level "rich", so *3 = 24.
Depot : 2 per level, so 10.
City : 2 per level, so 8.
Harbor : 2 per level, so 4
Fort : 1 per level, so 2
Total : 24 + 10 + 8 + 4 + 2 = 48

Important : Contrarily to previous AGEOD games, neither National Morale nor Loyalty have impact on supply produced.

How are supplies consumed ?

Units consume supply at the beginning of the turn.
All units will consume supplies the following way :
- First, all the supplies in each stack are pooled
- Then, the stack will use the supply units generated in the province they are in. If it is enough to feed everyone and put the supply stock at 100%, it is over, else…
- The stack will use the supply units generated in the directly neighbouring provinces (provided you control the neighbouring provinces as well – if a city is sieged, it won’t help, of course).
- The game will calculate the new “supply” level of the stack
- If it is negative, the unit will tap the supply reserves of the other stacks in the same province (I think, to be tested)
- If it is not enough, the stack will “pillage” the area to get some extra supply : Each unit in the stack (starting with the one with the highest "patrol" value) in need of supply will do a “foraging” test (high chance to succeed in a rich province, little chance to succeed in a frozen mountain). If it succeeds, it is fed for the turn, just barely. If it fails, the region is “looted” (red circle with fire, which may disappear each spring). No more foraging test is possible on a looted province, which also produces no more supply.

A few extra notes

- Supply produced and not "stocked" by a stack is lost. There is no "stock" in structures, only in units.

- Ships work the same way as land forces (for instance, they can draw supply from neighboring land province), but water provides no supply at all (obviously).

- A sieged fort / depot / city produces no supply, a blocked port (by winter or by an enemy force) produces no supply. You can have a sieged fort with an unblocked port (thus lowering the impact of the siege) or the opposite. Units in landlocked / blockaded structures will eat through their supply every month, then surrender. I hope you have some supply wagons, or a relieving force !

- When a stack with a supply wagons is hit by bad weather (in winter most of the time), the stack will trade supply units from the wagons (and only the wagons) to receive less (down to none) damage. Depending on your supply situation, this can be a good thing or a bad thing.

- Having much more supplie than needed can be very important, as it allows your element to recover their strength (“number of men”). If you want to compensate for the inevitable attrition due to time (i.e. : illness, desertion, …) you will need at least a small excess in supply – and in manpower, object of a coming Beginner’s Corner.

-If you are under siege, you will get no supply, but your opponent will eat the supply of the countryside...

Last edited:
Turn 7 - Populares (Aug 87)

Oh well more of Spain lost, at least if they are over there, I may just get the chance to complete the training of my new legion.

And Roma under attack

A strangely not very serious battle.

A huge Pontic force lands at Syracusa (where my legion is training up). If I can, I need to find a way to shift that force.

And it looks like Sulla has the situation in Greece back under control

So lets stir things up, and see if I can capture Dyrrachium

Last edited:
From what I see, only the Populares player can activate Numidia. The Optimates can only react to Numidian being "dowed".

thats my understanding, I had an option to spend EPs and start a war in N Africa (& get some more troops myself). Since I've already weakened the N African garrison, I was a bit concerned that all that would happen is that I would lose fairly quickly so decide to keep that theatre inactive

Watch out for the storms on the crossing ;)

my gamble was that those shown would have moved off by the time I set sail. If I understand they spawn/move at the start of each turn before any orders are processed - which makes it all a bit less certain (for good or bad)?

Well you guys made me buy this.

Just wondering how long does an campaign in this usually takes? And any ideas for an easy faction to start as a beginner?

Well you guys made me buy this.

Just wondering how long does an campaign in this usually takes? And any ideas for an easy faction to start as a beginner?

well they look long, but I suspect a number have the capacity to come to a clear end quite early. We played 21 turns of this till it was completely clear what the outcome was going to be. On the other hand some of the Roman 1-1-1 (4 Emperors, Severus) I suspect have the capacity to be genuinely long games.

This is my only experience, but looking over the other scenarios I suspect the Vespasian faction in the year of 4 Emperors may be 'easy'. You have a very consolidated area under your control and your two rivals have to start by beating each other up, but then as I found, an unexpected barbarian-AI faction can cause all sorts of additional difficulties.

Turn processing is rapid, probably even quicker than say WiA, so I guess SP, once you have a grasp of the main bits you can rattle through turns at some speed

Unfortunately, I had no time for an update + beginner's corner today. Maybe tomorrow ? I come back rather late this week, so...

A message to all the preorderers out there - what do you want the newt Beginner's Corner to be ? Except "siege" and "supply", I covered fairly basic stuff, but now I can upgrade a little - decisions, building stuff, cohesion, frontage, ... All is available.

A message to all the preorderers out there - what do you want the newt Beginner's Corner to be ? Except "siege" and "supply", I covered fairly basic stuff, but now I can upgrade a little - decisions, building stuff, cohesion, frontage, ... All is available.

If I can ask .. :ninja: ... something on decisions (both the decision mode and the F4 screen) would be good to see. Its far more developed in AJE than in previous AGEOD games and maybe an element of gameplay easy to overlook at the start (as I did in this)

Not sure I want to tell you, as it is probable I will play against you again, and you learn disturbingly fast !

Can you do a beginner's corner on the in game economics? It seems like the only resources you have to manage are money, NM, and EP. Rather strange to exclude manpower...

Anywho, more specifically, can you explain how EPs are earned, how important NM is compared to other AGEOD games, and how money is generally gained (requisitions a la RUS or monthly income?) and spent (recruitment, decisions, etc?)?

I'll echo loki as well, an overview of decisions would be great, alternatively.

re NM, it seems to be the Russia Under Siege model rather than say Rise of Prussia. That means there is no automatic balancing/compensation. In turn it makes a valid strategy in the longer scenarios to break your opponent's NM (as you do in RUS) which is near impossible in RoP.

So when you see an option "costs 2NM", think twice about taking it. You may need what it accesses (cash usually) more urgently, but over time those options will leave you vulnerable.

In combat etc, I assume it has the usual impact for an AGE game. The lower it is, the worse your armies fight and vice versa --- see I even answer in Latin :mellow:

I know that I keep harping on this, but for this scenario, it looks like the Populares have 3 fronts but only enough soldiers to viably defend 1. It seems to me that the best way for the Populares to get beat the Optimates would be to concentrate their forces on one front (likely Italy), and give up the longer term economic advantage in favor of creating a consolidated base of operations.