The Heirs to Aquitània - An Alternate History mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Savolainen5

Field Marshal
71 Badges
Feb 24, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
QG5TRsd.jpg

The Heirs to Aquitània 3
A total conversion alternate history mod for Victoria 3

What is it?
HtA is a universe/concept I've been working on (off and on) since June 2014 when I finished the EU3 portion of my megacampaign of the same name over on the Paradox subreddit. Rather than run my EU3 save through a converter, I decided to make a mod that everyone could play, that looked good, that made (a bit more) sense, and that had its own life. But that was HtA2, the mod for Victoria 2.

HtA3 (that is, The Heirs to Aquitània in Victoria 3) is a reimagining of the HtA universe with a greater focus on realisticness (no more Norway colonizing half the new world, sorry!). It features a world similar to that which was created through my megacampaign in CK2 (starting in 1066 - our main point of divergence) and EU3 (using Wiz's EU3+ mod), but with more sense.

This mod has taken heavy inspiration from almost every Vic2 mod out there, and I can't thank the modding community here enough for providing me with such good ideas to borrow.

Finally, as this is a mod developed during as part of the early access modding program, I was able to get the ball rolling a little early. Thanks to Paradox staff for the opportunity and the patience with my silly questions!

Features
  • 740 years of different history, informed by the original megacampaign, extra inspirational ones, team input and me.
  • Dozens of new countries and cultures
  • Totally reworked North and South America
  • (As of 25.10.22 still to be implemented: Events, JE, story/history features)
History

The formal history of this world is currently a bit sparse given my focus on Aquitania throughout my megacampaign. I have a semi-private Google Drive where lore is being collected, and which I hope to attempt to keep up to date. I will occasionally post information about specific countries here and link them. If you would like to know more about a specific country, let me know and I'll fill you in!

Pictures
Note: Subject to change!

ZHr5fl5.jpg
qtvYBIb.jpg
0QcFCvm.jpg
NshBRjf.jpg
0UgyW5a.jpg
vcI4a31.jpg
Yb180kF.jpg
2jbcEQm.jpg
GrQT1no.jpg

This mod is still in its childhood. If you have ideas on things that can be added, suggestions on how to improve it, or would like to help in any way, I would welcome it!

Download
Current version: 0.4.0
Release date: 25 October, 2022
Steam Workshop link
Github link

• Get your Victoria 3 working
  • Find HtA3 on the Steam Workshop
  • Open the launcher, choose Playsets from the left, then there is a dropdown menu in the top right part of the window. Click it and press "Add new playset," and name the playset whatever you want.
  • Click the Add mods button that then appears, and select HtA (whatever you called the folder) from the list. Add it to the playset by clicking Add 1 to playset in the bottom left.
  • Now click the Home button in the top left of the launcher, choose your playset and hit play!

• Get your Victoria 3 working
  • From the Github, select the Code button in the top right
  • Select Download ZIP
  • When it finishes downloading, open it with a program such as 7ZIP or WinRAR
  • Extract it wherever. It will be called The-Heirs-to-Aquitania-Vic3-main. You can rename it if you want, but it's not necessary
  • Move the whole folder to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria 3/mod
  • Open the launcher, choose Playsets from the left, then there is a dropdown menu in the top right part of the window. Click it and press "Add new playset," and name the playset whatever you want.
  • Click the Add mods button that then appears, and select HtA (whatever you called the folder) from the list. Add it to the playset by clicking Add 1 to playset in the bottom left.
  • Now click the Home button in the top left of the launcher, choose your playset and hit play!

Final words

I have slowly been building a team for this mod and am always happy to take on more contributors and devs. Whether you like the idea of HtA3 or just want to learn how to mod, all contributions are welcome! Join my Discord if you're interested (see below).

You can contact me here quite easily, as I check in at least daily. Also, this mod has its own Discord server as well as a place on the Victoria 3 Modding Coop Discord server. I'm online a lot, so if you want to ask a question about the mod or make suggestions, this is the best way!

Last edited:
  • 4Love
  • 3Like
Reactions:
  • None at the moment
  • [pdx_assert.cpp:612]: Assertion failed: pCurIdler->GetApplication().GetCurrentIdlerType() == EJominiIdler::INGAME - No idea what this is.
  • [pdx_gui_gfxtype_line.cpp:353]: gui/politics_panel_types.gui:1402 - Line must have atleast 2 points - No idea what this is.

Last edited:
Having played as both the Romans and Saxons in the Vicky 2 mod, I am very excited indeed to try it out in Victoria 3. Good luck on the development!

• 3Like
Reactions:
You modders are amazing, the game is not 5 days old and you already made a mod with a different map! You folks give me so much hope, thank you,from the bottom of my heart.

It has been removed. I never really liked it because it was hard to justify such a territorially large Russia with such a small population and less-than-ideal land.