• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fb-fb:

Welcome back! Glad you had a good time away!

Beo naturally worries, but this is a good chance for his sons. Peasants tend to be easier fights to put down (at least in CK2), so it's an opportunity to secure some experience for the lads. And get a hint of what they are made out of.
That is no doubt, and it was quite nice to not only have Beo with his great martial stats, but now so too both of his sons. That will be important going forward (and impact a good many things.)

The peasants are, of course, always revolting! :rolleyes:

Beo seems finally to have recovered as much as he is going to. Let’s just hope he doesn’t have a son predecease him on the battlefield. :oops:

The boys need to watch out for that ‘odd angry shot’. We awaited with bated breath on what other word may come from the Regent ... including the moment of truth for Oscytel.

Welcome back - no matter the holiday or travel, it’s good to get home safe and sound. :)
Revolting in the worst possible way! :D

And indeed, it is important as to what does not come from the Regent as much as what does. This too will play into things. And no, Beo certainly does not need another immediate family death anytime soon.

That seems the eteenal question all parents ask themselves as they send their children out into the world.

There is definitely a maudlin streak in Beo these days.
Indeed, there is a melancholy that comes along with Beo's bitterness these days. All he seems to have now are his two sons which are his everything. This was a tough one for him, but he likely knows deep down that it is for the best. Will that show up in the story? Time will tell.

To all - When I said that I really liked this scene, I meant it. It was quite wonderful to have both of Beo's sons so close in age and really quite similar in m any ways. There is not even two years apart between them so they have grown up quite close to each other. I have been building a little bit of their wild streak for a while, and it has been fun. They are not reckless but brash young men ready for the world. A new generation, as it were. There will be more of that coming up. (Also, I admit to getting a little teary eyed when I re=read the scene during proofreading. It has a tenderness to it.)

And I did promise more pictures, so -

This was the base of the mountain where you could ride the starting lifts or take the gondola up to Thunderhead Lodge about midway up which is what you see there at the peak. There is much more just over that hill.

This shot was taken just in front of Thunderhead where you could either take one of the runs back down to the base or move to another lift a little ways off to go up even higher (which I did but unfortunately do not have any shots from up at Sunrise because this day was just so overcast.

These are just vista shots from when I was heading back down to the bottom and looking up at the various runs above me. This was from the last day after getting another 3 inches of fresh powder overnight (and the snow was still falling up top.)

And finally, the biggest reason I wanted to go - to spend time with these two:

My nieces, Keely (left) and Scarlett (right) - they are 17 and soon to be 16 and my favorite people in the entire world! And they do love their Uncle Allen.

I am not an expert at skiing in any way and in fact, having not been in at least ten years, it took quite a long time to get my legs back under me. Plenty of falls, including a pretty bad one that has left a very nice yellow and blue bruise on my left hip/butt, but I finally got it mostly down by the last day. Spent most of my time on easier green and blue runs, but tried some harder, steeper stuff. I am not one for heights so the really steep runs are not for me. I did try one and it tried to kill me..really, I think it had it out for me the moment I started downhill. And while I did not hit a tree, I did get into an altercation with some brush at the side of one of the runs. It grabbed hold of my ski and would not let go. :eek:

All in all, it was a fun but humbling experience. I certainly enjoyed time with my family but my body will need at least a week to recover fully, especially my inner thighs which took quite a thrashing from some of my more creative falls and fails. :rolleyes:

As for updates, I plan on the next one tomorrow and thankfully, even though I have done zero writing this week, I am stocked with at least two or three weeks worth already in the can. After this break, we move right back to speed. :)

Hey, wonderful shots on all counts! I can see why it was such a great break. :D And speaking of great breaks, you’re lucky you didn’t have one falling over! Bruises are painful (especially large ones), but you’re kinda lucky it wasn’t a torn ACL or some such. :oops: I skied a little for a few years (about 30+ years ago) - no expert, but could get down a slope - and that snow is hard when you hit it! Great fun though. :)

That update was wonderful! So touching in its own way. I see a little bit of myself in Beo. I’m not a parent, but I am a caretaker in character, and I find worry often. :)

Glad to see you're back, coz :) Also glad to hear that you had such a great time, and that you managed to avoid and serious injuries.

Reading this last chapter was a little bittersweet. On the one hand, Beorhtmaer is clearly an excellent father who has brought up two fine sons who will undoubtedly make him proud. Seeing their playful rambunctiousness and their banter really brought a smile to my lips :D On the other hand, it's clear that the prince's loss is still affecting him, subtle though the effect is. The prince should be proud to have raised such fine young men who are both willing and able to go out into the world and prove their worth with such gusto; yet it's hard to begrudge him the wish of every father that his sons might stay boys just a wee bit longer, to feel the warmth of present love while it remains close at hand.

I can't help but see the uprising in Derby as a harbinger of things to come. I don't know how much news has filtered down to the common folk from on high, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they're being carried about by the ripples caused by the King's infirmity even if they don't know the source.

The Saga continues...well done.

All in all, it was a fun but humbling experience. I certainly enjoyed time with my family but my body will need at least a week to recover fully, especially my inner thighs which took quite a thrashing from some of my more creative falls and fails. :rolleyes:
:)

Once upon a stupid time a bunch of my co-workers and I decided it would be fun for us to play tackle-football (ages=mid to late 30's) again; for days we could barely walk on the job.

Fb-fb:

Hey, wonderful shots on all counts! I can see why it was such a great break. :D And speaking of great breaks, you’re lucky you didn’t have one falling over! Bruises are painful (especially large ones), but you’re kinda lucky it wasn’t a torn ACL or some such. :oops: I skied a little for a few years (about 30+ years ago) - no expert, but could get down a slope - and that snow is hard when you hit it! Great fun though. :)
That is no doubt. By the last day, I was falling a lot less but that first day was indeed painful.

That update was wonderful! So touching in its own way. I see a little bit of myself in Beo. I’m not a parent, but I am a caretaker in character, and I find worry often. :)
I am pleased that you liked it. When I thought about how to present the one bit of action I needed to include there (Wihtræd coming of age) I could think of no better way that see it through his father's eyes.

Glad to see you're back, coz :) Also glad to hear that you had such a great time, and that you managed to avoid and serious injuries.

Reading this last chapter was a little bittersweet. On the one hand, Beorhtmaer is clearly an excellent father who has brought up two fine sons who will undoubtedly make him proud. Seeing their playful rambunctiousness and their banter really brought a smile to my lips :D On the other hand, it's clear that the prince's loss is still affecting him, subtle though the effect is. The prince should be proud to have raised such fine young men who are both willing and able to go out into the world and prove their worth with such gusto; yet it's hard to begrudge him the wish of every father that his sons might stay boys just a wee bit longer, to feel the warmth of present love while it remains close at hand.

I can't help but see the uprising in Derby as a harbinger of things to come. I don't know how much news has filtered down to the common folk from on high, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they're being carried about by the ripples caused by the King's infirmity even if they don't know the source.
I'm glad the banter worked. I was afraid it might present them as just a tad younger than they are (though they are just 16 and 17 at the moment) but I wanted them to seem as though they playfully fight quite a bit. And Beo is indeed proud of them.

On the revolt, an interesting idea and that is quite possible. There is a certain unrest bubbling under the surface and there can be no doubt that word of the King's illness is surely trickling out.

The Saga continues...well done.

:)

Once upon a stupid time a bunch of my co-workers and I decided it would be fun for us to play tackle-football (ages=mid to late 30's) again; for days we could barely walk on the job.
I wish I could say it was a young man's game, but my father is 72 and seems to have little problem. :rolleyes: Then again, he skis every year where I might go once every ten years, if that. I'm in fairly decent shape for 45 but the muscles needed for that are not ones I routinely work on.

To all - The next scene will follow and brings us back to one of our favorite couples (hopefully.) We are just about to move into a series that is quite fun but there is a bit of business to attend to first. Stay tuned and as always, thank you for your generous and wonderful comments!

The Heavy Crown

Gainsborough, England – July 1130

Eadward sat with his wife in his private chamber as they supped at a small meal. She had made time to come for a visit as she knew that it might be some many months more when her husband may return to her at Norfolk. Judith did not mind the progress as she had always enjoyed her time at court. However, things were much changed at the now. Where once there were lively feasts with the King leading in the cheer, now the great hall was often quiet and few ventured there outside of an audience with the Prince Regent.

Judith smiled as she cut at her trencher and looked up to see Eadward wince as he chewed, “A tough bite, sir?”

“Blasted kitchens!” Eadward responded as he brought a hand to his cheek, “They know that my teeth grow poor and yet they would always overcook. I think they mean to ruin me.”

“Would not poison be a swifter route than tough meat?” she playfully teased at him.

Eadward tried to grin in his pain, “If they were any good at making anything, then I might find my worry. Yet if they may not find a good sauce, I would not worry over poison, my Lady.”

Judith smiled, “That is good to hear, husband. I would not like to lose you from the foul work of a kitchen wench.”

“Then do not let me tell you what they do with a hen, good wife,” he jested in return.

She laughed, “Very droll, sir.”

“Thank you,” Eadward moved to drink some ale, “And I be sorry if my company has been too poor this night.”

Judith saw that his cup was empty and shifted to refill it, “Not at all, husband. I do know that your mind is tasked in many different places and you must attend to them all. But I have noticed that you are...a bit pensive.”

The Prince sighed as he reached into his surcoat and pulled out a letter, “It is bad enough that my brother must be tortured so by this dreadful disease, and yet he may find no good will at all.”

“What is it?” Judith asked with concern.

“Read it,” Eadward replied as he moved to drink his ale, “You may be as shocked as I.”

She did so and her eyes grew wide, “Is this true?!”

Eadward sat his cup down and sighed again as he looked to his trencher with less of an appetite, “I must assume so if Prince Eadgar writes to me with this word. Why else would he send such a sad note?”

Judith pinched her brow, “I did never think that this woman’s work would ever lead to much good. It is too bad that she could not have followed the King and taken up her place here as Queen. I do think it a poor raising of those boys. Mayhap she receives what she deserves.”

“I be certain that this Emperor Siegmund will assure it,” Eadward tried once more to take a bite.

She read the words again and then looked to him with question, “So now the King’s son, and hers, will be regent of Meissen while she sits in a prison? Why is it that he does not write to you, or to his father, so he may tell us so?”

Eadward shrugged, “I may not know. You would note that Prince Eadgar is less than forthcoming himself within his words, but at least he does write.”

“Does Prince Oscytel ever inquire about his father, the King?” Judith asked with concern.

“Sadly, no...” Eadward dropped his fork to his trencher with disgust, “...and a fact that will be decidedly noticed by my brother when he hears of it.”

“You have not yet told His Grace?” Judith questioned with some shock, “This note is dated a fortnight ago.”

Eadward shifted to drink at his ale, “I have not had the heart to do so. It would break him more than he already is. He may never have held too much hope that Queen Adela might move to these shores, but he does not wish this upon her. I do believe that in his own heart, that he remains loving.”

“I be certain that he is, husband,” Judith took on a stern brow, “But you must keep him informed. He would wish to know of this, I be sure.”

“It would seem that I may make no one happy these days,” Eadward stood with his ale to look out onto the dusk as night began to fall.

“And you would not pout, husband,” Judith answered him quickly, “You would tell me what you mean by this?”

Eadward kept his gaze to the drawing dark as he replied, “You are not the only one to find such concern that our Prince Oscytel does not answer to his father. The Lord Bishop Cearl knows well of the King’s wish and pesters me about it often. And the Norman...good God, the Norman! He would not rest until he may have a private audience with the King. I cannot allow it and yet, this...this man is well above his station, if I would say it and yet I cannot so I must give him a pleasing smile and tell him no all the same.”

Judith gave her husband a nod, “And he takes it not well.”

“No...” Eadward turned to her with a pained face, “...he does not. After his well earned victory from this past year and his role now as Steward, he thinks himself the cock of the walk.”

“His cousin William in Essex thinks so as well, husband,” Judith stood to move to him, “And yet, this is always how it be done in Normandy forever more.”

“Even there,” Eadward placed his cup aside to bring her to him, “The Duke does look at me with a sharp eye whenever Norfolk is considered for he knows that his cousin is your chancellor there and would not forget that this same William was championed in his revolt. And especially now that his other cousin is Duke of York thanks to his wife, the Duchess Agatha...”

Judith took his embrace, “Too young a girl for such an important role.”

“You need not remind me,” Eadward kissed her on the forehead and then gently rested his chin on her head.

“Still...” Judith tried to lighten the mood as she shifted to take the Prince’s empty cup and refill it with ale, “...these be ever more the troubles of a King and as you hold that heavy burden at present, it is to be expected.”

Eadward looked to her with a sad face, “I am not the King and yet every sharp object is pointed to me and no other.”

She understood completely and brought him his drink with loving care, “You have quarreled with Beorhtmaer again, haven’t you?”

“It was no quarrel as there was no conversation at all,” Eadward replied in sorrow, “He would be not happy that his sons are sent to Derby and thinks it all my doing when none of it was. It was the King’s thought and I merely sent it to him.”

Judith caressed his face, “And yet, they have done well, have they not?”

“It was unnecessary and I told Uhtræd as much, but he would not hear other,” Eadward answered with irritation, “And now I am to be blamed for packing off Beo back to Bath and without his sons, whom he holds dear. We all do!”

“I be certain that he knows it, husband,” Judith tried to soothe his wounded spirit but he could not see it.

Eadward looked to his wife with sad eyes, “Since the death of that fine girl...Beo has been so changed. He would not remarry and lashed out at both myself and the King. Yet since Uhtræd fell ill once more, the anger is pointed towards myself and myself alone. I do not understand it!”

“He may wish to find someone to blame,” Judith suggested with a loving scratch at his neck, “And now he may fear the loss of another dear to him. I know well that you do find this worry. He is very proud of those boys, and well he should be for they have grown into fine young men. Their mother, as I knew her, would surely find great pride.”

“He might well be proud,” Eadward tried to find a smile, “From my last hearing, they served rather valiantly at Derby and won the day along with the Mercian force.”

Judith smiled, “And as a proud warrior, how could he do any other with such a fine martial showing. I know he may worry about the risk of it all, given where he is at the now, but his sons will prove well in this world as he has done himself...as both of their uncles do, if I might say.”

“You might say it,” Eadward found a grin, “But I be not so certain that I think to prove it so very well.”

“Nonsense!” she offered him a playful scowl, “You have been Lord Chancellor of this realm for over thirty years and none is more trusted than you. Your father required it and then your brother after him, and now...in his greatest hour of need...His Grace does come to you to safeguard the realm once again. If I need proof, sir, I must only look to my Lord husband and smile for he is a great man!”

Eadward found a need to kiss her and did so before pulling back to look on her with a loving face, “Must you move back to Norfolk so soon?”

“I do, husband,” Judith grinned and gave him a kiss on his cheek, “For I would not wish your sister Mildrith too much time in the care of our young ones, yet you may only call on me once again and I shall be to you with eagerness in every step. I do love you, Eadward. I would see you find success.”

Eadward offered a grin of his own, “With you by my side, my fine Lady, I could do no other.”

Teeth - a useful reminder that Eadward is not so young himself.

He also has to be more than just a cipher for the King.

At least Edward finds happiness now in one quarter! How much are we to read into the continuing (indeed unrelenting over years) lack of communication from the unprepossessing Oscytel? And the few words (at least) that do come from Eadgar jr? Are these hints at future events? Or just the continuing result of absence and estrangement? Whatever the case, this looks like being a very problematic transition - the crown grows heavier with every passing day and only the strongest will be able to bear it and keep their head held high.

Thought of the moment: "When it rains, it pours."

The lack of communication coming out of Meissen is unfortunate but not exactly unexpected -- the gulf between them and England, both in physical terms and in terms of relationship distance, is wide and difficult to span at even the best of times, and Meissen has for the past several decades been embroiled in the thick of Imperial politics. Even without the additional strain of an estranged relationship with her husband, Queen Adela has long had enough issues on her own plate to keep her attention fixed away from England.

It almost seems traditional at this point for the heir to the House of Wessex to sojourn in Europe for most if not all of their ascendancy and effectively win their spurs there. Eadgar himself, of course, was foreign-born, though he had the excuse of being the son of a bona fide exile. Uhtræd was born and raised in England but left to become Adela's ducal consort, not returning to England until Eadgar's death and his own elevation to the throne.

The King's marriage grows more troubled and sorrowful, even if he doesn't know it yet. But I'm pleased that Eadward has learned to be a good husband and is finding great happiness in his marriage.

I kept hearing the song of that great musician, Randy Newman, as I read. It's lonely at the top. At least Judith is by his side at the moment.

Fb-fb:

Teeth - a useful reminder that Eadward is not so young himself.

He also has to be more than just a cipher for the King.
Glad you picked that up about the teeth. And I am afraid that my pun a little after that was too on the nose, but I could not resist. ;)

I will admit that Eadward is getting just a little frustrated that he has all the worries of a King without any of the perks or the title itself. The question is what, if anything, will he do about it?

At least Edward finds happiness now in one quarter! How much are we to read into the continuing (indeed unrelenting over years) lack of communication from the unprepossessing Oscytel? And the few words (at least) that do come from Eadgar jr? Are these hints at future events? Or just the continuing result of absence and estrangement? Whatever the case, this looks like being a very problematic transition - the crown grows heavier with every passing day and only the strongest will be able to bear it and keep their head held high.
There could be quite a lot to read into the non-word from Meissen. In many ways, it will certainly play into future events in some form or another. And now that Adela has been jailed and Oscytel is already ruling, more or less, in the ducal seat...what would push him to leave now if he has such disregard for the throne of England?

Thought of the moment: "When it rains, it pours."

The lack of communication coming out of Meissen is unfortunate but not exactly unexpected -- the gulf between them and England, both in physical terms and in terms of relationship distance, is wide and difficult to span at even the best of times, and Meissen has for the past several decades been embroiled in the thick of Imperial politics. Even without the additional strain of an estranged relationship with her husband, Queen Adela has long had enough issues on her own plate to keep her attention fixed away from England.

It almost seems traditional at this point for the heir to the House of Wessex to sojourn in Europe for most if not all of their ascendancy and effectively win their spurs there. Eadgar himself, of course, was foreign-born, though he had the excuse of being the son of a bona fide exile. Uhtræd was born and raised in England but left to become Adela's ducal consort, not returning to England until Eadgar's death and his own elevation to the throne.
It is quite true what you suggest, though it was never specifically planned by me. It just happened to work out that three generations of Wessex men have made their bones away from their country of origin (which I would include here for Oscytel as well even if he has lived all of his life abroad.) A bit ironic really. Yet, while Eadgar pushed hard to return home and even Uhtræd took up his seat when the time called for it, there is no guaranty that Oscytel will follow suit.

The King's marriage grows more troubled and sorrowful, even if he doesn't know it yet. But I'm pleased that Eadward has learned to be a good husband and is finding great happiness in his marriage.
I was quite shocked when Adela was imprisoned, though I guess I should not have been given her non-ending wars with the Emperor. It just throws one more wrinkle into the equation and Uhtræd will certainly not be happy to hear it. As Eadward suggests above, he does not lack for love for Adela. In many ways, she abandoned him rather than the other way around.

I kept hearing the song of that great musician, Randy Newman, as I read. It's lonely at the top. At least Judith is by his side at the moment.
Great singer/songwriter there, Nikolai and indeed - that message is quite true for Eadward. The pressures are starting to get to him in many ways.

To all - Great comments all, and I cannot deny that it is a little bittersweet that Eadward finally finds a happy marriage after Madrun is put away and yet still cannot enjoy it due to the trappings of the regency and everything that comes with it. And really, these pressures are minor compared to what might happen in the future if some of these plots come to fruition (keep reading as more are coming down the pike.) In fact, the next scene will start us down a road which I had quite a bit of fun with as I put together the pieces. Check for that tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the excellent comments and while I have you here, allow me to plug the 2017 Yearly AARland Year-end Awards. There is still plenty of time to put together a ballot and vote for your favorites from this last year. So far, we only have three voters. I hope to see many more than that. Check the link in my signature below and head on over there. :)

What better way to cut your teeth than on a bunch of unruly peasants eh? Good call by the king.

The news from hMeissen is less good however where ominous clouds gather around the court there...

Welcome back from your holiday my friends.

What better way to cut your teeth than on a bunch of unruly peasants eh? Good call by the king.

The news from hMeissen is less good however where ominous clouds gather around the court there...

Welcome back from your holiday my friends.
Great to be back. :) I did think it would be good training for Beo's sons (as well as it allowed me to keep Beo himself out of it as the player.) And Meissen is...complicated. Who knew that Eadgar's decision so many years ago would fall out like this?

The Heavy Crown

Wareham, England – September 1130

There was a sadness in the cool air of the solar, shared by both brother and sister. Eadward had left the King in the care of his Lady Maud as much as Uhtræd did not wish it and the realm itself remained his own worry with dispatches sent off daily. Since becoming Regent, he had not had chance to make his usual progress throughout the land to keep measured tabs on each of the King’s vassals and he thought this paramount to maintain a certain control. As he left out from Gainsborough, Uhtræd had bade him one wish - “See to our sister Mathilda at the first if you would, brother.”

And so he did.

For her part, Mathilda remained in grief over the death of her husband Godwine. She could still not understand how such a thing might happen. And then to hear of the worst about her brother, the King? Such a weight was difficult to remove from her shoulders and she said very little as she sat with Eadward.

Eadward tried to tease from her some knowledge of her son, “Does the boy...the young Duke realize the import of his role at the now, dear sister?”

“He would know that he be Lord of Bedford,” she answered him with sorrow in her voice.

“But too young to find the worth of it yet, eh?” Eadward replied with an understanding.

Mathilda kept her sad eyes, “Eadweald is a sweet boy...kind and loving to me. My late husband did not find much concern with his spirit...”

“His pursuits were elsewhere,” Eadward suggested.

“No,” Mathilda was certain, “He did love his son in every way, brother...but...he did not take to a light touch.”

Eadward gave nod, “I be certain that the young Lord will continue to come into his own under your caring hand, dear sister.”

“Eadward...” she looked to him with concern, “...this be not my work. It is not my training. Mother taught me to be the dutiful wife and serve my husband with great care as she did with father. I did try to counsel my Godwine...and look at what has happened.”

“It may not find an explanation, dear Mathilda,” Eadward reached out a hand to rest on her own, “Yet more than a year has passed, and as Beo finds his worth once again...as our own brother did when his young wife died so many years ago...we must all find our way through our grief.”

Mathilda looked to him with pain in her eyes, “That is easy for you to say. You have your fine wife Lady Judith, hale and hearty...with three glowing children. And you have your other...”

“That is no more,” Eadward was quick to reply.

She offered some contempt with her answer, “Then I am glad to hear of it, for it should have never been.”

“Sister...” Eadward tried to be kind, “...we must not look to what has come before. We may only care for what comes after. We do live in some troubling times and it is to our benefit to find the best course in every way.”

Mathilda looked to him with great sorrow, “Is he truly so unwell, Eadward?”

He lowered his head in reply, “I would not hide it from you as you would have our mother’s strength as we all do...the answer be yes.”

“What will you do?” she asked him as though it was his concern as much as the King’s.

“I may do nothing but hope him the best, sister,” Eadward answered with surety.

She looked at him with a certainty, “I would wish the very same, brother. It is too bad that the King must suffer. Yet we both remember when father passed. It has not been so very long, though it seems a lifetime. Our brother has granted you the security of the realm. I must know what may happen should the worst occur. For us...for my young son...”

Eadward tried to calm her, “If you worry over the succession, it is cared for. And the King’s privy council is completely devoted.”

“Even Robert of Normandy?” Mathilda cast a sharp face knowing how poor that lot had been for her own family.

“I do not know that I may say I like him,” Eadward answered with a slight smile, “Yet he serves the crown well and it would seem with great loyalty.”

She screwed her face into a frown in reply, “I do not think to like any of that House.”

Eadward kept his smile, “There may be few that do, dear sister, but it was the King’s desire to raise him.”

“I may say that our sister Mildrith has no liking of this Lord,” Mathilda answered with continued scorn, “She has written to me often and I do try to reply. Her thought is that he be his father in reverse.”

“I would not know what this means,” Eadward gave question.

Mathilda looked slightly confused, “I do not know the ins and outs of it, but the father did press a claim and cause undue stress to the King when he took his seat before finally settling down. This one? She does not trust that he may stay such a docile dog.”

“I may not trust all of Mildrith’s words,” Eadward suggested, “She has been through much and more during her time at the French court. Her husband remains incensed that she be not at his side and Prince Roubaud may never win his considered inheritance...”

“Mildrith be not a fool!” Mathilda was quick to reply.

Eadward offered a grave face, “I do not think that she is, but it is good that she is gone from France at this time.”

“I do not care about France,” Mathilda stood to move to a window overlooking the grounds at Wareham, “I care about my son and his future in this realm…in England. It is not just the Norman to worry you...to worry us. There be many more.”

“You need not find cause for concern, sister,” Eadward stood as well, “Though our brother is put low at this moment, I still have great faith in his physicians and in his character. He remains strong in his will.”

“And if he is not?” Mathilda asked before turning with more sadness, “If he should lose this fight? What then?”

Eadward looked to her with certainty, “Then it is my duty to see his son placed on the throne.”

Mathilda kept her worry and turned back to look out the window, “I did not wish to speak on this...I do not understand it...but my son’s grandmother did come to visit with us not long ago.”

“The Countess?” Eadward question, “What of it?”

She turned to him again with more seriousness in her eyes, “I have never had much care for Countess Æthelflæd and was very happy to see her remain in Northumberland after my good husband’s father died. And I do not think that she made her progress here simply to take the measure of her kin for she surely did not find reason to shower him with very much affection and yet still made time for another.”

“What other?” Eadward asked with some confusion.

“It was the Lady of Mercia’s man,” Mathilda replied with a pinched brow, “That Lord Hlothere of Gwent.”

Eadward now raised his own brow, “Why would he be to Wareham, sister?”

Mathilda turned and looked to the grounds once more, “He held claim that he traveled here to offer Lady Wulfrun’s respects after the death of my husband and the raising of my son. And yet...I do not know that I believed him.”

“I know Lord Hlothere well, sister, and he is an honorable man...” Eadward took a step towards her, “...but not too honorable. What is your suspicion?”

“I could not say,” she replied, “Yet their words...each of them...seemed too similar. I did notice that they spent much time in conversation with one another and both the Countess and Lord Hlothere spoke much of the young Duchess in York.”

Eadward grew more concerned and pressed his sister, “Do you think them plotters?”

She turned with even more worry, “I do not know, Eadward. I told you...I know not this world. I merely wish to raise my son to be his father’s proper heir and now Lord of these lands. I believe it is something our father would have wished, for my Eadweald is not simply a boy of Godwin, he be too from our House...of Wessex.”

“I believe that you are right,” Eadward stepped towards her once more to give her an embrace, “And I say to you...worry not. I am glad that you have told me of this for I shall look into it. You must never doubt the King’s faith, nor mine, as it regards you or your son. No matter what occurs, you shall both always have our protection.”

Mathilda squeezed hard in return as she gave her tearful reply, “Thank you, Eadward.”

It is good that the young nephew is tended to. But there is something rotten elsewhere in the state of England! Eadward sniffs the air and will no doubt smell the telltale stench of a foul canker in the body politic. Troubling times indeed.

Eadward’s surety and indeed certainty sometimes makes me wonder if he wouldn’t have made the bette4 king (with Uhtraed as his Marshal...)

Food for thought

As always, nice to get an overview of the broad picture :)

France appears to be continuing its long slide into oblivion; I somehow doubt that even an ambitious Norman conqueror could do much to check it at this stage, though one never knows...

I can't help but feel that Prince Roubaud may end up playing an important role in the coming mischief, if a somewhat peripheral one. Given the man's character and his ever-building paranoia of the House of Wessex, I can't imagine him refraining an opportunity of his own to twist the knife a little while his imagined rivals undergo a moment of weakness.

Hopefully Eadward will remain ever-vigilant for that possibility, among others.

It is a heavy pillow indeed that can suffocate a man, even if he is ill. Covering his face and crushing his neck with her bare hands would have been more effective, if more noticeable. Still, it was a very impulsive thing to do despite calculating and carried a ridiculous amount of risk about it. I wouldn't bandy around allegations to her mental state right now but she's clearly an egotistical narcissist of the nth degree to do something so drastic on a slur of the moment feeling in such a drawn out way (she could be a sadist or a psychopath of course but that remains to be seen). Right now though she's going to be feeling invincible. Her instincts and personal strength got her into power, she has a ludicrously strong ally and mentor backing her up and the king is dying with the succession in question.

I expect brash and arrogant behaviour demanding immediate action, which Mercia will shoot down and York will despise her for it, for being right, for being more powerful. The threat currently is to the king of England but this little viper from what we've seen wants to bite into anyone, anything, to go up in the world. She could just as easily be turned into plotting against Mercia with dreams of becoming a Queen in the North. This is a very interesting character and one I'm sure the AI can actually play right...as in, she'll flcker btween dozens of projects and targets of murder and expansion as her mood and the game takes her. Oh if only you could make her an army commander and send her to France. She'd love it there, and she'd almost certainly die as well.