• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(16159)

Eldermann
Apr 10, 2003
Visit site
I am not finished yet. But these are my current thoughts. In coming days I will be making more posts to back up the ideas into reality

Preamble
It is with trepidation that I even suggest any revision, for this is one of the best events files in Aberration. But it’s one of those files in which there are 3 events after 1523, the meaningful ones stop altogether at 1628, and in which there are a few bugs and timing issues. I also personally wanted to provide a more logical causal relationship between the events, and to use new events to emphasise the trading nature of their character, and the decentralised nature of their politics.

A new culture. Hanseatic culture is seen as a distinct culture from german, an urban, increasingly broadminded, burgeoning mercantile culture which sprang out of the new European merchant class and the growing phenomenon of cities. The Hanseatic League begins with hanseatic culture.

Character. The intention is to create a nation whose goal initially is the mastery of European trading, not just localized provincial conquests as with the current Hansa file. Trade on the great European rivers, and in the Mediterranean is exploited for potential hanseatic conquest, and richness of events.

Historical Streams. One of the strengths of the existing Hanseatic file is the ability of the player to choose – at two points in the game – either a german/military emphasis, or a trade/naval emphasis. This choice worked while Hansa had german culture, but with this attempt to recreate a more hanseatic Hansa, I am proposing to shift the emphasis. In this reworking, the choice is between the financially rewarding but difficult hanseatic city-state ideal, and a militarily easier but less financially rewarding stream based around the Baltic Sea.

The Trade/Naval or Military/Land Eldermann choices remain. The Pleskow Monarchy choice remains, and another event is added to ‘legitimise’ Heinrich Pleskows dictatorship.

The Baltic Sea. The Hanseatic League was historically Baltic trading nation, and thus starts also with baltic culture at the start, instead of german culture. More events are inserted, linking Hansa closer to Kalmar and Teutonic Order.

Germany I see it as a interesting and vibrant part of the game to see german states at war. Part of what makes every game individual is the result of the outcome of the chaotic situation during the 1400s. This is positive. Taking Hansa out of this environment can only allow the smaller Germanic states more time to survive into the 1500’s. This work as presented therefore must be read in association with other thread discussions on german minors.

Event bonuses. Hansa gets nearly +9,300 free Trade Tech points on a platter by 1517, plus another 500 if they take Sjaelland. I feel that this is both deterministic and extravagant, particularly the Amerikanische Kompanie event. I have toned down the Trade bonuses, and would argue that this occurs in other nation’s event files.

Brandenburg and the United Provinces
Some new event files(?) In both cases these are solutions of what to do with the disintegrating elements of the League. Brandenburg is a small german state that stays small and eventually fractures in a War of Inheritance, but not before taking on Altmark and Vorpommern. The United Provinces come into life after the Reformation, as an enclave of Calvinist refugees. I don’t know if work has been done before on the dutch, but I am happy to incorporate it. If they exist, Flanders secedes to them.

Teutonic Order
I notice that a lot of work is being done on the Teutonic Order. I have read these and tried to incorporate that work into this. I am MORE than happy to revisit and revise Hansa in light of comments from those teams or indeed anyone else. Perhaps the Teutonic Order and Hanseatic League revisions could be done by the same team. Happy to communicate, always.

Historical
The Hanseatic League was an association of western German and eastern Baltic trading blocks, each principally collections of city-states and trading agreements. At it’s apogee in the 14th century it stretched across 100 towns in Europe, from Bergen to Novgorod, and from Catalan to Venice, despite owning no army, navy or government. It lost influence gradually from the 1400s as national, cultural and regional interests began to overwhelm the trading agreements and hanseatic loyalties, and larger nations in the Baltic and North seas began to assert their own mercantile muscle.

Aberrated History
The formal nation of The Hanseatic League develops out of series of trading affiliations, centred around the northern Germanic city-states of Lübeck and Bremen in response to the treaty of Scandinavian states, the dominance of the Teutonic Order in the Baltic states, and growing Bavarian influence of river trade in Germany.

We see the League at its purest form as a collection of trading nations in 1421, having endured a long and politically charged constitutional step into nationhood. Achieving this position in a Europe of checks and balances has caused them to forsake claims on traditional core hanseatic cites of Venice, Baden and Catalonia, while concentrating on more established city-states. During the process of state creation Oldenburg has declared itself autonomous in 1399 and the Union of Kalmar refused to release Sjaelland in 1420, with Norway following suit on Bergenhus in 1419.

With the rise of Hansa as a nation, comes the decline of Hansa as a cultural ideal. From the late 15th century the Leagues priorities develop into those of other nations in Europe, conquest by force and marriage, technology progress, the politics of religious reform.

Nationhood and a military presence bring the influence and control of wealth of the Hanseatic League to it’s apogee in the early 16th Century, particularly after successful wars against the Union of Kalmar over the Sund, and victories against the Teutonic Order in the Baltic and Brandenburg in Germany. As a nation forms, the traditional hanseatic city-states of Firenze, Novgorod and Flanders are lost as regional interests began to outweigh their common concerns and trading interests.

The golden age of the hanseatic mercantilist ideal is over by mid 1500 as trade controls are lifted, and the Baltic, the Rhine, and the Donau lose their eminence as a source of wealth. However The League as a nation is by then well established in northern Germany, the Baltic and around the North Sea. The decline of its reliance on wealth solely from trade from that point is gradual but inevitable. The dominance of the relative wealth of European trade shifts to the Mediterranean, to Asia and to the Americas.

With the onset of the Reformation, internal religious disputes and trading factionalisms spill over into the political arena. Suspension of the Hansetag in 1529 is followed by a series of hereditary Eldermannen as a form of constitutional monarch. Despite the strong leadership shown by the early Pleskows, later heirs brought poor government, introspection, and financial ruin. The resurrection of the Hansetag elections in 1628 slowed the decay somewhat, particularly with the New World policies envisaged by Eldermann Franz Beckenbauer in 1688, but by then too late to dominate their corner of Europe by force, and too late in the race for the New World. A series of conservative and less imaginative Eldermannen followed (Eldermann Bertrand Vogts, Eldermann Rudolf Völler, Eldermann Jürgen Klinsman) By 1740 The League comprised 7 provinces in Europe with a scattering of colonies in the Americas, which would all be lost to Eire after the Sale of Bas St Laurent in 1764.

Major points:

Culture.
The Hanseatic League starts with one culture, and hanseatic. A series of events in the late 1400s add baltic culture to Hansa.

Mecklenburg, Bremen, Holstein, Köln, Vorpommern, Köln and Oldenburg are hanseatic culture.
Ingermandland, Novgorod, Hinterpommern, and Danzig are now baltic. Events during the game can change Ingermandland to ugric, Novgorod culture to russian and Hinterpommern culture to hanseatic.

Starting Provinces.
Mecklenburg, Bremen, Holstein, Köln, Anglia, Novgorod, Firenze and Flanders are starting provinces, all cores.
Ingermandland belongs to Teutonic Order.
Kent is part of Normandy.
Siena, Luxembourg and Kleves are single province minors.

Core Provinces.
Ingermandland, Firenze, Vorpommern, Sjaelland, Bergenhus, Estland, start as Hanseatic Core provinces in addition to starting provinces.

Projected growth
Hanseatic League starts slightly smaller than in the current Aberration configuration, but should be at it’s biggest by 1510, with cores on it’s starting nations plus Danzig, Oldenburg and Nizhgorod, plus should have conquered Livland, Kurland, Estland Jutland Sjaelland and Hanover. From the 1529 Hansetag, events start making it hard for Hansa to keep this far-flung empire, and it begins losing the outermost provinces. By 1600 its European golden age is over.

I am still working on maps, wading through the *.inc files If someone has a quicker way or fewer children, they are welcome to post a 1419 map up

This sounds really good. A couple of comments, however:

1. On baltic: Baltic culture is not the minor coastal phenomenon you know and love from vanilla. It's become the defining culture of the Teutonic Order, covering Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus and a few other areas besides. The Order has cores on every single baltic-cultured province. In fact, the TO has the possibility to turn into a country called 'Baltland'.

Accordingly, if the Hansa try to take the Baltic coast, their aim will be to completely crush the TO, as there's no other way that the Order is going to give those provinces up. I think we can assume that the Hansa start off with merchants dotted over the Teutonic coast, but even a less aggressive Order would soon try to break the Hanseatic yoke on trade and establish its own trading houses. This is definitely not the easy option!

2. Random inheritance - I can't remember the thread, but did you see the suggestions for random inheritance? This would be minors joining the Hansa by random event (but only if the Hansa behave themselves), and also randomly trying to break away again if the Hansa are too centralised or focused on war. I think it would be nice if the Hansa at least had the option of preserving the Hanseatic ideals, even if their default course of action is to become more aggressive.

3. I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing for the Hanseatic decline, but the key word is challenge. Don't force players to get horribly weak, at least not permanently; but make it a big challenge to stay strong. As for Eire claiming the Hansa's colonies, Eire will be having problems of its own if I have anything to do with it.

4. The Reformation is a defining moment for the Hansa, as if they go Protestant or Reformed, they'll probably have to face the wrath of both Bavaria and the Teutonic Order, both strong land powers, whereas the Hansa is a naval power and thus vulnerable to attack from the land. However, they can also set themselves up as protectors of the Protestant/Reformed people against the Catholics. If ever the Hansa get to become the dominant force in northern Germany, now is the time.

Just going to toss my 2 cents in about the Hans.

I think that they are a country that can get involved in a lot of areas, but can end up with their hands in too meny pies and be stuck losing most if not all of them. There are 6 major Theaters in Aberrated, Germany, France, England, the baltic sea, Italy and Greece/Asia minor. The league starts in 3 of those and can quickly become over extended when their main source of income, trading, moves from the north sea to the atlantic. (This is also historical)

The first crossroads they should face is the reformation mid 1500s, just about everyone knows this. Then around 1600 or so, if they still are a force, the reality that they no longer on the most profitable tading routes and that they are being left behind should push them to act.

Right know I know that they are one of the first ones to America (I always see their colonies in canada/ newfoundland) I really think they should be a late arriver on the colonial stage. They should be more focused on the Reformation and their internal trade problems then colonies durning the first rush, then maybe they should get into it.

mikl,

Great conceptual work that is well thought our and well grounded in the real history of the Hanseatic League. Congratulations. I hope that others will take your lead and deveop their country profiles with the same care.

Very fine additional coments from Billdo, and I feel certain that mikl will keep these in mind as he goes beyond the draft stage.

I am excited to see the first draft of the event cycle.

MattyG

Incompetent said:
This sounds really good. A couple of comments, however:

1. On baltic: Baltic culture is not the minor coastal phenomenon you know and love from vanilla. It's become the defining culture of the Teutonic Order, covering Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus and a few other areas besides. The Order has cores on every single baltic-cultured province. In fact, the TO has the possibility to turn into a country called 'Baltland'.

Accordingly, if the Hansa try to take the Baltic coast, their aim will be to completely crush the TO, as there's no other way that the Order is going to give those provinces up. I think we can assume that the Hansa start off with merchants dotted over the Teutonic coast, but even a less aggressive Order would soon try to break the Hanseatic yoke on trade and establish its own trading houses. This is definitely not the easy option!

Yep I know, there are baltic culture provinces as far inland as the border to Ukraine. But I am trying to bring Hansa into linkages with Kalmar and TO, rather than Bavaria. At the moment, TO and Hansa have seprate cores, and they rarely fight each other, even over Danzig.

I wanted to see two Hansas, one seeing a profit in establishing trading cities around Europe, and another looking at gobbling up provinces the Teuts took from them in - say - the early 1400s.

Incompetent said:
2. Random inheritance - I can't remember the thread, but did you see the suggestions for random inheritance? This would be minors joining the Hansa by random event (but only if the Hansa behave themselves), and also randomly trying to break away again if the Hansa are too centralised or focused on war. I think it would be nice if the Hansa at least had the option of preserving the Hanseatic ideals, even if their default course of action is to become more aggressive.

I saw this, liked it, and then couldn't find the thread again. If you could lead me to it I would be eternally grateful.

I also want to give them the option of preserving their city-state ideals, and indeed that is the main thrust of my proposed events.

Incompetent said:
3. I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing for the Hanseatic decline, but the key word is challenge. Don't force players to get horribly weak, at least not permanently; but make it a big challenge to stay strong. As for Eire claiming the Hansa's colonies, Eire will be having problems of its own if I have anything to do with it.

:) I see it as an optional sale, as part of a general introspective 1700s. It 'happened' in their Aberrated History, but the Player can choose to avoid that path.

Incompetent said:
4. The Reformation is a defining moment for the Hansa, as if they go Protestant or Reformed, they'll probably have to face the wrath of both Bavaria and the Teutonic Order, both strong land powers, whereas the Hansa is a naval power and thus vulnerable to attack from the land. However, they can also set themselves up as protectors of the Protestant/Reformed people against the Catholics. If ever the Hansa get to become the dominant force in northern Germany, now is the time.

I see them as becoming the dominant force in the Baltic rather than Germany, and certainly not far inland unless it be on some of the major river trade routes.

In a trade-driven, increasingly secular society, would not the religous orientation have more to do with strategic advantage than "defending the faith"? Is religion as important to Hansa as it is to Bavaria or Papal States or Eire?

I'd also like to have a series of events along one historical 'stream' which alllows them to reconnect with their baltic catholic past, and convert back to catholisism. Is Counter-reformed still part of Aberration?

mikl said:
In a trade-driven, increasingly secular society, would not the religous orientation have more to do with strategic advantage than "defending the faith"? Is religion as important to Hansa as it is to Bavaria or Papal States or Eire?

I'd also like to have a series of events along one historical 'stream' which alllows them to reconnect with their baltic catholic past, and convert back to catholisism. Is Counter-reformed still part of Aberration?

Perhaps that's the really interesting part. To that point the Hansa people have been drifting toward what today we call secular. And so the reformation maybe even shakes their people up more than others, challenging their national attachment to mammon. The reformation for them becomes less about which type of faith to follow, than a reinvigoration of faith itself.

Accordingly, maybe you need to consider representing the tensions within their society in ways other than religions and rebellions. Convert all their provinces to Protestant, if you like, but then have a series of events that represent a turning away from money-money-money. This will be the greatest challenge, because that has what has kept them together as a nation, their desire for economic prosperity. Of course, the astute player navigates through this an emerges with a love of money intact and the focus of the Hansa nicely established. Or, this becomes the point at which religion becomes more important for them, and so the people want to get more involved in the continent and its struggles.

Or not. Just some ideas.

Matty

Shouldn't the Hansa get periodic trouble with the rural population in the provinces they own?

MattyG said:
Or not. Just some ideas.

No, I like it. Might help fill out the latter part of the game. In my Events Summary (see Below) we have an important Hansatag vote in 1685, with three Eldermannen, each wanting to take the Hansa is vastly different directions. Possibly one of those directions can be deeply religious.

Most of the anti-mammon religions running around then were already reformed, since catholicism smacked of wealth and excess. Perhaps the Calvinists could take the Reformed Hansa to new levels of religious application?

See also my short entry on The United Provinces, should we wish to use them. I do.

Trin Tragula said:
Shouldn't the Hansa get periodic trouble with the rural population in the provinces they own?

Yes, I agree. That's another good idea. But ideally they don't have any rural provinces, since the pure hanseatic ideal is a series of coastal/river provinces in city-states.

But if they do, then yes, periodic revolts of the peasant population, in response to chardonnay sipping city-dwellers. Might also be a few de-population events. As city poulations rise, the rural ones would fall, thus affecting the wealth generated from those provinces.

Okay, some more to chew over...

The Hanseatic League Events Summary

Look, not all events are resolved as I would like, and the timing of some of them is still dodgy, but here it is for public discussion debate and review. I am posting this to show in more detail where I am heading with this, and whether I need to be pulled back, or the direction changed.

General Debugging existing events. Correction of the spelling and the grammar of existing events.
Deletions All german culture events are deleted, including "Loss of non-german Merchant Houses" and “A Question of Orientation” since there is no longer an option of taking the german culture but there is a new equivalent series of events. “Cologne joins the Hansa” is deleted since it starts the game as a part of Hansa. Dutch culture and core events are deleted.

Events in silver are existing, unchanged events. Events are sorted according to themes and then chronologically.

The Creation of a Sovereign State
1421 First creation of The Hanseatic League as a constitutional body. This decision is linked to event decisions by other nations which help form Hansa in its proposed state in a series of “Money or the Box” decisions. Norway gets to withhold Bergenhus from Hansa (in 1419 as an option A), UoK get to withhold Sjaelland from Hansa (in 1419 as an option A). Teutonic Order get to withhold Ingermandland (in 1419 as an option A). Genoa gets to stop the entry of Firenze (in early 1420 as an option B). Scotland gets to protest entry of Anglia to League (in early 1420 as an option B) This allows for some MP interaction and negotiation regarding the size of Hansa from the beginning of the game. So Hansa actually starts with Sjaelland, Oldenburg, Ingermandland, and Bergenhus at the start, but lose them within a year.

The period of growth 1419 – 1529
Proposed is a series of events that each offer minor choices. The sum of these choices lead the player to create a Hanseatic Ideal of decentralised city-states, or a more cohesive central power. Generally these events will have options, where those two streams are represented.

1419 - 1529 “The Oldenburg traders return.” If Oldenburg owned, Hansa regains core on province.
1433Prelude to the first Sund Crisis
1440 "Danzig accepts Hansa authority" Hansa gain Danzig as Vassal and core. With increased baltic membership, the League acknowledges it’s baltic roots and opens doors to cultural ties with baltic peoples. Add baltic culture to Hansa.
1442 The “Sund Crisis” event is moved adjacent to the “Prelude to the Sund Crisis” event in 1433, rather than 37 years later (!). Success in “The End of the Sund Crisis” effects are less drastic (the inflationary and deflationary effects are deleted and the Treasury/Trade effects are lessened). Hansa must own Sjaelland. Not achieving this also loses the hanseatic core on Sjaelland.
1445The fifth great Hansetag in 1445
1450 “Bergen re-enters the League” The first of the decisions that affect Hansa as league of far-flung city-states, or a more stable baltic nation in northern Germany. If Hansa owns Bergenhus, option A Norway accept Hanseatic rule, and Hansa keep the core gain +1000 Trade, Centralisation -1, and Norway/Scotland lose their cores on Bergenhus. Under B, Bergenhus (and it’s core) can be offered back for sale to Norway for +500 ducats, Centralisation +1 and -500 Trade in a deal which sees Hansa abandon the city as too difficult to keep, and settle for the money. Both options ‘sleep’ the next event.
1451 “The sixth great Hansetag in 1451”, but option B is now the mayor of Firenze “Paolo Maldini” which triggers “Move to new Markets”
1457The seventh great Hansetag in 1457
1460 “Move to new Markets”. a response to the creation of the Ulster CoT in 1435. If Paolo Maldini is Eldermann and Siena and Firenze are owned, then… option A is “Stall to bolster Flanders” Mercantilism -1, option B is “Relocate Flanders CoT to Firenze” Centralisation -1, Mercantilism +1, Trade Tech +1000, +2 Provincemanpower, -100 relations with Genoa.
1470 “Est! Est! Est!” If Estland owned, Trade Tech +500 to reflect increasing security to Novgorod trade. Could be a trigger for a Teutonic Order event.
1472 “Novgorod Traders Petition” Novgorod traders petition the Eldermann with their concerns about the Volga river trade being hampered by local pirates and toll barons. The League undertakes to help Tver and Suzdal stamp this out. Gain a 5 year CB on Tver and Suzdal, and +2 BB.
1475 The eleventh great Hansetag in 1475
1476 The naval reforms of Alexander Masser, Now two events, the normal one if Masser is Eldermann, and a milder one if Masser is not elected and is only a Hansetag Advisor.
1500 - 1529 “Volga River Trade” If Nizhgorod and Moskva owned, Hansa (under option A) gains a core on Nizhgorod, +1 population in Nizhgorod. Option B has Hansa releasing these states back to Suzdal and Tver in exchange for trading rights, +1000 Trade and +100 relations with Tver and Suzdal. Option C Hansa sell both provinces to Finland for 1000 Ducats and +100 relations with Finland.
1501 Creation of the Grosse Werften. Shipyard now goes to Anglia
1515 If Teutonic Order own Novgorod, then Riga CoT is not created.
1515 “Novgorod traders protest!” With the opening of the new centre of Trade in Riga (an existing event), Hansa gain a CB on TO, Mercantilism –1, and a Trade Embargo against TO traders, as paradoxical as that sounds.
1523 Nineteenth Hansetag vote sets political flavour and rationale for tumultuous Twentieth Hansetag. A vote between Heinrich Pleskow who wants to increase the power of the Eldermann, and Helmut Kohl who declares an interest in the younger traders and mayors and strengthening the representative nature of the Hansetag. Either way, -2 Stability.
1528 “Trade Inequalities in the Mediterranean” revolt in Firenze and Siena. –1 Stability.
1528 “The Corruption in London” revolt in Anglia. –1 Stability.
1528 “The Isolation of Novgorod” If Ingermandland not owned, then revolt in Novgorod. –1 Stability. (Note, could lead to other events with Finland?)
1529 Twentieth Hansetag (formerly Nineteenth) being the advent of Pleskow monarchy event series which either creates the militarily minded Pleskow monarchs (strong but arrogant, eventually weak +2BB, +2 Stability, revolt in Firenze), or a reversion to a more federated parliament (inclusive, weak, but economically slightly more rational, -1 BB, -1 Stability, revolt in Mecklenburg).

The period of decline 1529 – 1820
The Pleskow Monarchy series
Initially strong leaders, particularly militarily, but poor administrators.

1529 - 1628 “Losing the Baltic” If Finland own Ingermandland, the TO core on it is lost, and it changes it’s culture to ugric.
1529 - 1820 “Losing Scandinavia” If Bergenhus not owned, either A the core on province is lost, or B retains core, relations Norway and Scotland -100, +1BB.
1529 - 1820 “Losing the Mediterranean” If Firenze is not owned, then the core on the province is lost.
1529 - 1820 “Losing the Baltic” If Estland not owned, then core on province is lost.
1529 - 1820 “The Volga Trade is lost” If Nizhgorod is not owned, then core on province is lost.
1530 “Revolt of the Italian Mayors”. Revolts in Firenze, Siena and Emilia, if owned.
1542 Köln changes culture to german in 1650 as river trade become less important and Traders in slow exodus to coastal city-states. Helps triggers “Union of the Rhine” Event series?
1548 “The Reformation” With the death of Heinrich Pleskow, Heinrich II makes public his preference for the Reformed faith, and the nation goes with him. Some minor baltic states rebel and a general -2 Stability. Triggers final Tuscan Independence event.
1548 “Tuscan Independence” triggered by choosing of Reformed church. Tuscany as sovereign nation, with cores on Siena and Emilia. Consists of Firenze.
1585 If United Provinces exists then Flanders revolts. (amid overbearing despotic rule from Pleskow monarch).
1612 “Proto-Privatisation” With the Anglia shipyard losing proving to be more and more costly, the League attempts to sell Anglia (and it’s Shipyard) to United Provinces, Scotland, Eire, Kalmar and Burgundy for only 500 Ducats.
1625“Unstable Times”
1628 “The Governmental reforms of 1628”

The ‘Federal’’ Parliament series
Consistently average administration, and better economic management, but weak and ineffectual leaderhsip

1529 - 1628 “Losing the Baltic” If Finland own Ingermandland, the TO core on it is lost, and it changes it’s culture to ugric.
1529 - 1820 “Losing Scandinavia” If Bergenhus not owned, either A the core on province is lost, or B retains core, relations Norway and Scotland -100, +1BB.
1529 - 1820 “Losing the Mediterranean” If Firenze is not owned, then the core on the province is lost.
1529 - 1820 “Losing the Baltic” If Estland not owned, then core on province is lost.
1529 - 1820 “The Volga Trade is lost” If Nizhgorod is not owned, then core on province is lost.
1533 “Vassalisation of Tuscany” option A has the creation of Tuscany as a Vassal, -2BB and +1 Stability. Option B is convincing them to remain in the League, Centralisation –1.
1534 - 1628 “An Appeal from Nizhgorod” If Tambow and Moskva are not owned and Nizhgorod is owned and a core, the mayor appeals for help and financial assistance to offset trade losses.
1542 Köln changes culture to german in 1650 as river trade become less important and Traders in slow exodus to coastal city-states. Helps triggers “Union of the Rhine” Event series?
1547 “The Reformation” Reformation is resolved as a Hansetag vote between aspirant Eldermannen of differing faiths. Choice of religion creates revolt events in some catholic baltic or the reformed hanseatic provinces and a general -2 Stability. Selection of Reformed triggers final “Tuscan Independence” event. Choice of Catholic triggers the “Secession of Köln” event.
1549 “Tuscan Independence” triggered by choosing of Reformed church. Tuscany as sovereign nation, with cores on Siena and Emilia. Consists of Firenze.
1552 “The Köln Secession” triggered by choosing to remain in the Catholic church. Köln as a sovereign nation with cores on Köln, Kleves and Luxembourg.
1585 If United Provinces exists then Flanders secedes to United Provinces. (amid weak parliamentary governance). Optional.
1595 “Baltic problems” With onset of weaker parliament, If Kurland, Livland, Estland and Novgorod owned and Reformed, then Baltic nations revolt.
1612 “Proto-Privatisation” With the Anglia shipyard losing proving to be more and more costly, the League attempts to sell Anglia (and it’s Shipyard) to United Provinces, Scotland, Eire, Kalmar and Burgundy.
1622 “If Livland, Kurland AND, Estland NOT owned, cores on all baltic states lost???.
1625 “Unstable Times”
1628 “The Governmental reforms of 1628”

General Economic Events
1450 “Deflationary effects of sound economic policy”. If Stability >2, Centralisation >6, Mercantilism >7, then -1 Inflation. This (and the other three events like it at 40 year intervals) replaces the illogical deflationary effects of the Sund event.
1450 “Inflationary effects of poor economic policy”. If Stability <-1, Centralisation <4, Mercantilism <5, then +1 Inflation. This (and the other three events like it at 40 year intervals) replaces the inflationary effects of the Sund event.
1480 “Deflationary effects of sound economic policy”. If Stability >2, Centralisation >6, Mercantilism >6, then -1 Inflation.
1480 “Inflationary effects of poor economic policy”. If Stability <-1, Centralisation <4, Mercantilism <4, then +1 Inflation.
1520 “Deflationary effects of sound economic policy”. If Stability >2, Centralisation >7, Mercantilism >5, then -1 Inflation.
1520 “Inflationary effects of poor economic policy”. If Stability <-1, Centralisation <5, Mercantilism <3, then +1 Inflation.
1560 “Deflationary effects of sound economic policy”. If Stability >2, Centralisation >8, Mercantilism >4, then -1 Inflation.
1560 “Inflationary effects of poor economic policy”. If Stability <-1, Centralisation <6, Mercantilism <2, then +1 Inflation.
1637 “Funding the Amerikanische Kompanie”. Might need some coding help with this. IF Infrastructure >5, Events pop up in Burgundy, Brittany, Eire, Granada and Genoa offering shares in trading enterprise in America. Their option B Costs them 200 Ducats, and every 10 years, if Hansa trading posts in continental north America are >5, then share owners receive 200 ducats. If >2 but not >5 then 100 ducats. If >0 but not >2 then 0. Is this possible? Can we ‘count’ trading posts and offer a direct ducats payment per Trading posts? The intention is that other nations have a financial stake in Hanseatic colonial progress.
1642 “American Trade” If Stadacone, Bas St Laurent and Penobscot owned and Bas St Laurent is a city, Hansa gains a core on Bas St Laurent and +1000 Trade.

1628 - 1685 Hansetag events
1632“Creation of the Amerikanische Kompanie”, as normal, however the Trade Tech bonus is reduced from 5000 to 3000. (Moved 100 years further from original date.)
1640 “The Twenty Second great Hansetag in 1640” a mild event, with a +1 Stability hit, recognizing the stabilizing effect of electoral power to the mayors and trading representatives.
1652 “The Twenty Third great Hansetag in 1652” another mild event.

The Restoration 1685 - 1820
Three distinct directions, to take Hansa to the end of the game, for which a largish number of events still need to be written. Trade should try to take Hansa back to it’s routes, favouring Trading Posts and CoT exploitation over Colonies. Colonial is a strong colonial bent, encouraging the building of a concentrated colonial empire. Military is a European option, favouring conquests in the Baltic and Holland, and perhaps even Germany.

1685 “New World Order” Eldermann Franz Beckenbauer proposes his “New World” policies, and the Hansetag is given a choice between his Trade (Mercantilism -1, RemoveCoT Flanders AddCoT Bas St Laurent, -500 Treasury; or that of his Hansetag Rival Johann Cruyff’s Colonial (Land-1, Wakeleader Conquistador, Sleepleader General, +5 Transports, +3 Colonists, -200 Treasury); or again that of their rival Dino Zoff’s Military (Land +1, Wakeleader General +1, Sleepleader Conquistador, Inf +20, Art+2, -200 Treasury)

1687 (Military series) “Sale of Bas St Laurent” Bas St Laurent, offered for sale to Eire for 1000 ducats if no core for Hansa in Bas St Laurent.

1710 (Trade series) Gratuitous “Johann Anderson” event stripped back. As much as I respect the guy, +1000 cash AND –10 inflation AND –5BB in the same event is ugly. It just has “Gear up for war” written all over it. Remaining effects doled out in a series of events, rather than a single piece of legislation.

Social events
1740 “Maximillian Rudolf” Existing event, like it.

ReAberrated United Provinces
Aberrated History
A new nation, basis the dutch provinces, and springing out of the Reformation as a refuge point for oppressed Calvinists with a spectacularly Narrow-minded, and simultaneously Free Trade and Free Subjects mentality. Starts with a strong leader, Calvin himself maybe? All leaders then head of religious church? What’s that called, a religiogarchy? Should also start with some mighty BB.

Culture.
The United provinces starts with dutch culture.

Starting Provinces.
Begins in 1551, after the Reformation / Calvin, consisting of Holland, Zeeland and Gelre.

Core Provinces.
All dutch culture provinces.

Events:
Not written yet, but eventually they should take on hanseatic culture, and develop a navy.

ReAberrated Brandenburg
Aberrated History
A fading germanic nation, with roots in the barbaric states of former eastern Europe. Fully converted to Christianity and ruled by the HRE only in the very late 14th Century, Brandenburg’s hereditary leaders have found it increasingly difficult to govern using the traditional tribal mentality. Under King Grog, this changed, and they began to exert some influence. Seriously Centralised, Serfdom and Aristocracy.

Culture.
Brandenburg starts with german culture.

Starting Provinces.
Brandenburg begins with its own province and Hinterpommern.

Core Provinces.
Brandenburg begins with cores on Hinterpommern and Hessen.

Events:
1440 “Grubby Traders!” If Hinterpommern owned by Hanseatic League, then it changes it’s culture to hanseatic, and Brandenburg core on it is lost.
1489 “Magdeburg is in Danger” gives Brandenburg Altmark as a province and a core.

Last edited:
Looks good; I like the idea of a possible theocratic revolter, though its mere existence would drive the CRC countries insane. But isn't 'United Provinces' a bit historical? Also, would a country of fanatics really get Hanseatic culture? It's still up in the air as to which provinces we make Reformed, so the Calvinist state could have cores extending into Germany if that's where some of the Calvinists are. At the moment the southern Netherlands are Catholic, so they wouldn't be too welcome there.

One thing that seems likely is that if the UP revolts, it won't survive long. Perhaps you could give them an event which makes their capital move to one of their own colonies, as they flee Europe in search of religious freedom? We could encourage them to settle a specific area so that they can form a reasonable extra-European state.

Brandenburg is also a historical nation, but it looks like you're going to make them pretty weak. Are they going to be just another minor, or do you have plans for them to do something special, eg get inherited?

Incompetent said:
Looks good; I like the idea of a possible theocratic revolter, though its mere existence would drive the CRC countries insane. But isn't 'United Provinces' a bit historical? Also, would a country of fanatics really get Hanseatic culture? It's still up in the air as to which provinces we make Reformed, so the Calvinist state could have cores extending into Germany if that's where some of the Calvinists are. At the moment the southern Netherlands are Catholic, so they wouldn't be too welcome there.

One thing that seems likely is that if the UP revolts, it won't survive long. Perhaps you could give them an event which makes their capital move to one of their own colonies, as they flee Europe in search of religious freedom? We could encourage them to settle a specific area so that they can form a reasonable extra-European state.

Brandenburg is also a historical nation, but it looks like you're going to make them pretty weak. Are they going to be just another minor, or do you have plans for them to do something special, eg get inherited?

I am taking Koln out, which has 3 Provinces, so for balance reasons we need to put something back in. Brandenburg wasn't Christianised until the late 14th Century, so perhaps the aberration is that they are still pagan ??? Could be colonisable, my with extremely high native aggressiveness....???

With the UP, I don't mind that they are historical, so is Poland, TO and Scotland, and for that matter Hansa. But we are creating it as religious fanatics, perhaps to counterpose the catholic fanatics in TO and maybe some Jesuits somewhere?

I love the idea that we de-camp them to - say - America. Massachusetts! :rofl:

mikl said:
I am taking Koln out, which has 3 Provinces, so for balance reasons we need to put something back in. Brandenburg wasn't Christianised until the late 14th Century, so perhaps the aberration is that they are still pagan ??? Could be colonisable, my with extremely high native aggressiveness....???

With the UP, I don't mind that they are historical, so is Poland, TO and Scotland, and for that matter Hansa. But we are creating it as religious fanatics, perhaps to counterpose the catholic fanatics in TO and maybe some Jesuits somewhere?

I love the idea that we de-camp them to - say - America. Massachusetts! :rofl:

The trouble is, a lone Pagan country in the HRE would get killed so fast as to be irrelevant. Lots of aggressive Natives could be interesting, but you'd want them to be pretty hard to eradicate, and they'd also start conferring unwarranted 'Frontier bonus'. I'd make BB have Catholic state religion but Pagan provinces.

What I meant to say was that the UP and BB were historical major powers - but then so was Poland, and you're right, these are quite different countries you're proposing. There are limits to how much we can Aberrate, I suppose :eek:o

I was thinking they could settle somwhere in the Southern Hemisphere, far enough out of the way that they might actually survive. I reckon Massachusetts might end up in the Islamic Republic of America ;)

Last edited:
Brandenburg was a part of Bavaria before because the Wittembach dynasty had some claims there, what about letting Brandenburg be loyal ally to Bavaria with perhpas even a RM in the start. Especially if there's going to be a conflict between Brandenbur and Hansa a Bavarian interference could be interresting.

*IF* you take a city-state direction as the Hanse, it really makes little sense to let them get Kleves, Köln and Luxemburg, when in fact this is a vast stretch of land and only a bit of cities.

I allways thought it was a bit illogical, but if the Hanse truely focuses on being a city-state, I'd assume you could give them Köln and let the other two go to Bavaria or somesuch, as it just seems logical that the countryside would rather join the land-based feudal nation than the trade-based republic.

Avernite said:
*IF* you take a city-state direction as the Hanse, it really makes little sense to let them get Kleves, Köln and Luxemburg, when in fact this is a vast stretch of land and only a bit of cities.

I allways thought it was a bit illogical, but if the Hanse truely focuses on being a city-state, I'd assume you could give them Köln and let the other two go to Bavaria or somesuch, as it just seems logical that the countryside would rather join the land-based feudal nation than the trade-based republic.

Exactly right. I am suggesting they get Koln, and Keleevs and the Luxies remain independant minors. Or something. And Koln is only there because it represents a nodal point in the very powerful river trade at the time. Likewise my events for Nihzgorod.

Later, as time passes, the river trade becomes less important as roads and sea travel improve, and there are fewer and fewer traders in Koln. It loses it's hanseatic culture, and eventually opts out of the League.