• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well if Ireland is not possible you should at least make sure to capture the French province next to Helvetia, I think it is France Comte… It looks very ugly to have that blue into your land, also a war against the Venetians for some more land in Italy might be interesting.

Very nice idea, that. Might take a few stabhits but who cares now? Let's see what other votes we have.
EDIT: We posted at the same time Lord E? :) Good one, too, might just fold my French war into it (I didn't make the treaty yet, I only said it)

1778:

We moved armies into Africa. About 40000 to each province, a bit less to Nouakchott, just enough not to have attrition. This is because it would not be riskless to ship the main force through southern France.

1779:

Sweden declares war on Poland. Though we buy them off to stop bothering us, the Poles actually do something, capturing Livonia and keeping it in the treaty later.

1780:

This new king, Josef II does have some strange ideas! He said that Austria will conquer Ireland for the empire. As an excuse for war, he used the fact that the French are banning Austrians from trade again.

War declared. Timeline:

1780 December-1783 January: We make an invasion of Ireland, but it is so fekkin' low attrition, they die off before we can send reinforcements. They even degrade so much, they eventually just disband. We capture Paris but have no other province to show up. (We almost gain Franché Comte but the enemy just lifts the siege with... uh, 170000 men. Where do they crazy warmongers get that force?
1783 Feb: We get a CoT in Louga. Has a value of about 200, but new cots don't hurt, or?
1784: We give up and demand French money to finish the war. Our gains were next to nothing, and we wasted about 300,000 soldiers throughout the war. But Josef is not willing to give up...

1786:

Josef II has declared that Austria will expand during his reign. He ordered an attack on Venice, hoping that their Italian allies will help them and so they could conquer them. But only the Pope did so, Spain's reply was that the Habsburgs have right to attack Venice, Savoy feared the Austrians, and the monarch of Modena was rumored to bash the Venetian ambassador in the face for even asking.

Timeline:

1786-'89: We successfully manage to seize Mantua and Illyria. We siege Venice, but after a failed assault, only one cannoner survives to tell the tale. The second siege doesn't finish until...
1789-'92 February: Toscana gets Emilia from the Pope in the peace treaty. I classify this as "success" since if I'd have enough time, Austria would probably devour Toscana-diplomatically of course. At the end of this period we get Mantua and Illyria in the peace.
1792, the rest, finale: I put this here too... we declare on Modena. We attack the state head-on, and siege it. The siege seems to be going well...

And here the chronicle ends. Many secrets are still uncovered. Did the anti-expansionists in Josef II's realm ,although in the game we got Leopold II and Franz II in the last years but who cares? - cause the downfall of the empire, that reduced Austria to a mere middle-European country today? Who knows...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that's the end. We, of course, "lost". You will see the first five in the screenie. I dunno why I get a burning city as the end cutscene if I was second?
Provinces of Italy recovered under Austrian and Toscan rule:
Firenze, Luca, Milan, Genoa, Mantua, Emilia. Not bad for 8 years methinks.
Screenie.jpg
So... the end of AAR. Do you want a next one as well? If yes, I decided to try a "minor"... place your votes.
Venice
Brandenburg
Bohemia
Denmark
Mamelukes
The Palatinat.

Last edited:
Very good. Too bad about Ireland. Would have been interesting. Anyway, I think you should pick Denmark, I've played as Denmark a couple of times and it's always proved to be excellent fun.

Very nice AAR and a nice ending. Only to bad that you didn’t manage to win, but at least you came second and the war against Venice went well, that is good.

For your next AAR I also think the Mamelukes should be cool to read about :)

Feh... Mamelukes *spit*
I just tried 'em and not only they weren't intended to play, but were directly *meant* to be annexed. Wanna know why?

Pros:

-Al Kansur, the "great" leader has 5 movement, and 4 shock. This makes A.K. the ideal cavalier.

Cons:

-However, the Turks can not live without leaders. A typical "good" Turkish leader has about 3/3/3, which owns this one.
-Cavalry costs 12D only, right, but cannons are 63D. This makes the Turks so easy to play (they automatically conquered any province with a storm) while I have to use all cav to sloooooooowly siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiege fortresses. Did I mention storms are a horrible failure?
-Unlike the manual says, Shiites do *not* get ANY COLONIST AT ALL AND ALL THE MANUAL IS A BIG FKING LIE. The morale bonus, must be there but who knows? My plans were to colonise East Africa then India but this whole shit just ruined it.

Place your vote for another one guys. My best game so far when I crashed my government, and so Turks automatically got Aleppo. (the second was when I lost Syria and 0D.) In both of these cases, Al Kansur was long since dead. The worst case was when I got annexed. Lol.

Alright if the Mameluks are giving you trouble, why not take a northern-European nation that should give you a better chance of surviving. What about playing Denmark?

Well, Lord E and me vote Denmark, Duke of Wellington votes Mameluke. 2:1. Then Battle Bunny's anti-vote for Mameluks cancels out Duke's vote making it 2:0. I think it's obvious what you should pick!

OK, Denmark is going to be my nation then. I'm looking forwards to a hard match, anyway, since Sweden was designed to own Denmark, but at least here I can join a strong alliance (like a Russian or French one).
I'm posting a topic and am starting the Denmark one right now.

Congratulations on ending this game. I've got a few busy weeks behind me, and more to come, so I dont know if I will be able to comment on a frequent basis. But I certainly hope to read it up some day.

Great AAR. I just finished reading this, this morning, and have to admit i'd have been very happy with those accomplishments. It's always good to see Turkey beaten back, especially with the recapture of Constantinople. Being in central europe its always a tricky decision to make. Whether to go west, east or towards the balkans. I think you made the right choice. Turkey wouldn't have left you alone anyway. Looking forward to seeing the Danish AAR!